Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by all State. Some people just know they could save hundreds on car insurance by checking all State first. Like you know to check the date of the Big Game first before you accidentally buy tickets on your twentieth wedding anniversary and have to spend the next twenty years of your marriage making up for it. Yeah, checking first is smart, So check all State first for a quote that could save you hundreds. You're in good hands with all State Savings. Ferry terms apply all State Fire and Casualty Insurance Company and Affiliates, Northbrook, Illinois.
Speaker 2: This episode is.
Speaker 3: Brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roebliss, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg. Evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jirelle Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheadle, Michael Panya, and Bobby Knavali. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 2: Welcome in to another special edition of the website with Nick Right podcast and YouTube shows. We continue our accountdown in the special series the fifty Greatest Players of the last fifty years of the NBA. If you have not checked out this series previously, we have gone over the rules, the honorable mentions, and we've gone players fifty through thirty. So we are now finally inside the top thirty. Next week we'll get inside the top twenty five. Today we are doing players twenty nine through twenty six, and there is one guy who might be the most underrated, truly great player of a generation is on this list. There are two New York Knicks on this list, and one guy who, and I say this in a loving way, is probably the second greatest compiler in NBA history is part of this little four sum but he was far more than that. We will start, however, with number twenty nine, the first of two Knicks to make the list today.
Speaker 4: Number twenty nine Walt Frasier.
Speaker 2: He is, of course, also the best dressed man in sports broadcasting yours truly, notwithstanding his four time first Team All NBA, two times Second Team All NBA, seven time All Defense, and one Top five MBP finished however, so that right there is a very good resume that is not enough to get you inside the top thirty without some bananas postseason results. Luckily for Walt Fraser, he has exactly that, some amazing postseason results, including one could argue the greatest Game seven in NBA playoff history. So he's a two time champion and a three time finalist five straight years he took the New York Knicks to the conference finals. Or further, his career in the playoffs is twenty one, six and seven. And keep in mind, he's doing that while being one of the best defensive guards of his era. That's the seven time All defense So any of his offensive numbers you have to combine to the fact that he was an all time great perimeter defender. But where he really made his name, if you will, was not just delivering the Knicks their first championship, but the way in which he delivered it. The nineteen seventy finals Game five, critical, Games two two, he has twenty one, seven and twelve, and then everyone remembers the Willis Reid game. Willis Reid for those folks that don't remember, and Demonsey's gonna ask me what Fraser question here in a moment You might probably not familiar with the Willis Reed story. Willis Reid was arguably be the best player on these Knicks, and Willis Reid had suffered an injury in the series and they didn't think he was gonna play Game seven, And then he comes out for Game seven, makes the first two baskets of the game and it set the tenor for the entire game. What people don't remember about that game is those were the only two baskets Willis Reed made. So why did the Knicks end up winning the championship? Why did they end up beating in that series? Jerry West, Elgin Baylor, and Wilt Chamberlain a great Lakers team because in that Game seven, Walt Frazier had thirty six points, seven rebounds, and nineteen assists thirty six, seven and nineteen in a Game seven of the finals against three guys who, if this list weren't was in the last fifty years, but was all time NBA history. West, Baylor, Baylor, and Chamberlain. Those are three of the thirty greatest players ever and in West and Wilt two of the ten or twelve greatest players ever. He did that with no Willis Reed, then makes the finals in nineteen seventy two, goes thirty one to seven and two in a Game five loss. For the series averages twenty three, eight, and eight are nearly sixty percent shooting. Making the finals without Willis Reid, but lost to the Lakers. That Lakers team, by the way, someone argues the greatest team ever the seventy two Lakers. They had a thirty three game winning streak during that season, and they beat Kareem at a young Kareem, but that was almost apex scream to get to the finals, and the fact that Knicks team didn't get swept by that Lakers team as a testament to Walt Frazer. And then in the very next year wins another title. But the real toughest test was the Conference finals against Boston. He's thirty seven, nine to four in Game four of that series in fifty seven minutes fifty seven minutes double overtime, game sat one minute, three to one in the series play fifty seven minutes gave you thirty seven nine to four, then twenty five, ten and seven in Game seven. Over the final four games of that series, he averaged forty nine minutes per game. Final four games of the NBA or final five games part of me. The NBA Finals for the series average twenty six, seven and six. So listen, Willis Reid. I that was in the conference finals. They ended up winning the championship in the finals. He's good but not great. I thought he got absolutely screwed out of finals MVP in nineteen seventy. I thought the Game seven alone should have gotten it for him. They gave it to Willis Reid. But the thirty six, seven and nineteen it's the greatest Game seven per one for respect to James worthing respect to Lebron James, it's the greatest Game seven performance NBA Finals history. He is the twenty ninth greatest player of the last fifty years. Demonse, what's your question?
Speaker 5: This is a perfect example of the guy that you respect way too much, all because he won a title.
Speaker 2: Okay, don't get me wrong, he was great or was he better than the glove?
Speaker 5: Like you know, Peyton did everything he did, but just longer, and like you know, he never got to the championship because there was this guy named Michael Jordan over there, and like I think he might be so high on the list just because he simply won titles with the Knicks.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, so listen. Maybe some people overrate titles with the Knicks. I'm not one of those people. Gary Payton is a good comp because Gary Payton was an amazing two way guard as well. But yes, it is because he has the titles and Gary doesn't. If Gary Payton repeatedly got to the NBA Finals and got denied by Jordan, so be it. But Gary Payton was getting denied by Karl Malone. Who's getting denied by a team. He only got to the finals one time. Walt Fraser got there three times, won two titles. I'm very comfortable with him being ahead of Gary Payton. Some would argue he should be ahead of Number twenty eight, who's another New York Nick. This New York Knick also got denied by Michael Jordan never won a title.
Speaker 4: Number twenty eight.
Speaker 2: Patrick Ewing's Patrick Ewing's resident, one time first Team All NBA, six times second Team All NBA and quick sidebar on this. I got very upset a few weeks ago about the NBA changing the rules and allowing you to put two centers Jokic and indeed on first Team All NBA. This is a perfect example why because if they by changing the rules, it now makes Ewing look worse because Ewing it's like, oh, that was only first Team All NBA once, Well that was because you could there was only he was playing against the team David Robinson, Shaquille O'Neill. At some point later in his career, there's only one center. But now if it's going to be multiple centers making, then his six times second Team All NBA doesn't look as good. Three time All Defensive Team, I think that's a little low. Best player on a final has two finals appearances, six times he was top five MVP finishes career twenty one to ten. Only twelve guys in the last fifty years have been twenty in ten guys seventh on the all time blocks list. Now the knock on Youwing historically has been not great in the postseason, and while he did come up short in some postseasons, it's got we gloss over what he did great in the postseason. So I already told you you went to two finals. The best player on one finalist the second finals, he got injured right before sweating in to play it. Career in the playoffs twenty and ten in the playoffs, so everyone says I came to to the playoffs twenty and ten career playoff average. Only ten guys in the last fifty years have done that. His first career playoff victory, he gave you thirty one and ten against Boston in eighty eight. In eighty nine against Chicago and Michael Jordan dropped thirty two and eleven facing elimination, and then in game six of that series gave you twenty two thirteen, six assists, three blocks, two steals. Buddies up against Michael Jordan. Jordan drops forty nineteen ninety Game four in the first round against Larry Bird in Boston forty four thirty and five with seven blocks and two steals to even the series at two apiece. Averaged thirty six, thirteen and five after falling down two to Burden mcale, including thirty one, eight, ten and four to beat them and win the series. Now, that was a lesser burden mcale, but still carried that next team the next round. In the only game they won against Detroit, the soon to be champion Pistons, he had forty five thirteen and six. Then in ninety two to beat Detroit gives you thirty one to nineteen to knock them out of the postseason, and then Game one against the Bulls and Michael Jordan thirty four sixteen, five assists, one block, six steals, and then thirty three and nine in the game five that they lost. That ninety two team was a great team, but not good enough obviously to beat the ninety two Bulls, one of the greatest teams ever. Some would argue that was the best Bulls team, not the ninety six Bulls. Ninety four to get to the finals, to beat Chicago in Game seven eighteen seventeen and six in twenty four, twenty two and seven with five steals in Game seven to beat Indy and make his first finals. So the reason I'm giving you these individual games with viewing is there is this myth he never came up big. He had big Game seven to beat Chicago, a big Game seven to beat Indy, and then come the finals, the team dominated. There's no way around it. But a team is going to show up very, very high on this list. And then in ninety seven got totally screwed. That was the year PJ. Brown body slam Charlie Ward all the Knicks gets suspended for coming off the bench. So Ewing misses Game six. Then he's back for Game seven, for some of his teammates are suspending for Game seven. In that game seven is thirty seven and seventeen, but they lost, and then he blows his achilles in ninety nine. Only has one other great playoff game twenty and seven, in a Game seven against Miami in two thousand, the Eastern Gonment semifinals. So the reason I gave you those individual games, and I think it's important to is because we can't act like Ewing never came up big in the posts. Jordan beat him a bunch, He got out played by a team. Those are two of the greatest players in the history of the game. But the idea that a guy who's just one of ten guys in the last fifty years to be twenty and ten in the playoffs whose careers are over, there's other guys, more than ten guys on that list that are active. We'll see if they stay on the list when their career is over. The idea that Ewing was a total playoff no show, I totally disagree with diehard Knicks fan and buddy of mine, Rob Perez has a comment about the Patrick Ewing ranking. I gave Rob a look at the list, and not the full list, but a good section of it. He's gonna mention a few names that have not yet been revealed, but they're obviously going to be somewhere on this list. We bleep out where they actually are because Rob spoils it, which is not supposed to. But here's Rob's issue with my Patrick Ewing rank.
Speaker 6: Nick, you're continuing to be a prisoner of the moment. Is going to make me jump out the window. You have Patrick Ewing twenty eighth, while Carmelone and Charles Barkley down John Stockton. Those are the four best players of an entire generation that did not win a championship. It should absolutely be grouped together the next win the ninety two championship if Michael Jordan does not exist. Did you watch those games? What was required from Patrick Ewing?
Speaker 4: You nuts?
Speaker 2: So here's the problem for Rob. I agree with him though, and those guys, by the way, you're gonna hear Barkley Malone in Stockton's names rolled off shortly. But of those four guys. Ewing was the least impact. Ewing versus Stockton is a close call. Ewing versus Barkley, and Ewing versus Malone. As much as I love Pat, not that close of a call. Those guys were simply better. He's still, though, was good enough with the twenty eighth Greatest Player of the Last fifty years, Number twenty seven, a guy who's all time records will shock you. He's next. All right, Welcome back in What's Right with Nick Grey podcast and YouTube show special edition fifty Greatest Players the Last fifty years in the NBA. Let's just keep it moving. We are going to get to one player here that all of you remember, and one player that many of you I'm sure don't remember, but is one of the most decorated playoff performers ever.
Speaker 4: Number twenty seven Jason Kidd.
Speaker 2: So Jason Kidd, five time first Team All NBA, one time second Team All NBA, two Top five MVPs, including one second place that a lot of people look back on that one of Duncans and say kid maybe should have won it. However, Duncan's team then eventually did play kids team in the finals, and Duncan was utterly and thoroughly dominant, So I think they probably got that right. Five time assist champ. And then some of these Jason Kidd records are just jaw drop. He has the second most assists in NBA history. He has the second most steals in NBA history. So to be right to where he is and listen, he's behind Stockton on both those lists. He's not gonna know one. Some of Stockton's records are so unbelievable. We'll get to Stockton later. Spoiler alert. You know he hasn't been revealed. He's somewhere on this list, but second is almost like first place because those records are so unattainable. Jason Kidd second all time assists, second all time steals, and as far as but you guys know, the playoffs matter a lot here. So what did Jason Kidd do in the postseason?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 2: When he was he did win a championship. More on that later, because he was a role player at that point in his career. Bon he is the best player on a team two time finalists, won the conference back to back years as the best player on a team. Three finals appearances total in the two thousand playoffs before he gets to what is now Brooklyn, but then the New Jersey nets with Phoenix. He gives you twenty in the playoff run in two thousand for the only game they win in the second round against the Lakers, the Shank Kobe Lakers going to win the title. He's twenty two to ten with sixteen assists. Now what you're gonna see with kid when we go over it. He didn't have a lot of singularly eye popping games. It was just incredibly consistent throughout these playoff runs. So the two run to the finals average for that playoff run twenty points, eight rebounds, nine assists in order to make the first to make his finals in the Eastern Conference finals, he averaged eighteen, eleven and ten average a triple level to make the first finals of his career and then in the finals twenty one, seven and ten for those finals against Shaq in Kobe and they of course lost. The very next year, gets back to the finals averages for the playoff run nineteen nine and nine, and then in the finals twenty six and eight for they of course lose to dunk in the Spurs. Now fast forward eight years, the twenty eleven maps folks like ah Jason Kidd, how much did he matter? His numbers are not high popping at all. However, he in those finals against Lebron, Wade and Bosh, Jason Kidd played thirty seven minutes per game, so he was I mean, not just a starter, but he was playing minutes wise. Only Dirk was far and away more than him on that map. Scene. Now, was he the second best player on that map? Seemed clearly not. However, the fact that he was that late in his career still that relevant to be getting those many minutes for a team that won the titles speaks volumes. And when I said one of the greatest compilers ever, here's what I meant. He had fifty career ten plus assist playoffers. That's the fifth most ever fifty ten or more assists playoffers. He is the fourth most playoffsis ever and the seventh most playoff steals ever. He's the twenty seventh greatest player for the last fifty years. I think my guy Chris Brussard has a comment on Jason Kidd. Let's hear it.
Speaker 7: I gotta be honest, I'd rather play with Jason Kidd, but I don't think I can put him ahead of Ai.
Speaker 2: I mean again, Yeah, I'd rather play with him, but Ai was Ai.
Speaker 4: AI is iconic.
Speaker 7: AI was a four time scoring champion at my size.
Speaker 4: I gotta go with Ai. Hip hop and hoop legend.
Speaker 2: Come on, Nick, listen, brew Ai is more legendary than Jason Kidd. AI is more culturally relevant, and one would argue, and I would agree. AI's apex was high, but Jason Kidd did it so much longer both of them. As far as best career accomplishment was taking a team to the finals. Kid did it twice. Ai did win the MVP. Kid came in second. I understand it, and Ai. I think it was thirty Jason Kids twenty seven, so it's not a huge delta, but I think Jason Kidd was better and certainly more impactful on winning and now a history lesson for the kids out there. The oldest player on this.
Speaker 4: List, number twenty six, Rick Barry.
Speaker 2: He did shoot his free throws underhanded, which makes him seem older than he actually is. As Demanse looks at me and rolls his eyes. Okay, listen, I'm going to sway you on this with these numbers, right, So he's five time first Team All NBA, one time second Team All NBA, and four time First Team All ABA. Because his career started in the NBA, he then sued to be able to go play somewhere else. The whole thing was a mess. Went to the ABA, then went back all right. Three top five MVP finishes in the NBA, three top five MVP finishes in the ABA. In the NBA, won a scoring title that year. He averaged thirty six points per game. He is the all time leader in the ABA in points per game in the playoffs and in the regular season. Won Rookie of the Year in the NBA, and a career average of twenty five to seven and five. Okay, but the playoffs are where I'm going to Sweden. I'm looking at Demonse right now. He is wincing camp. But this picture again showing him shooting the underhand free throws not the greatest thing ever. Okay, career in the playoffs twenty seven points per game. He is the all time leader for points per game in the NBA finals, more than Michael, more than Lebron, more than Will the all time leader. He was the best player on three finalists. He won one title, one finals, MVP, ABA and NBA included. He has seventeen forty point playoff games and three fifty point playoff games. So nineteen sixixty seven first real playoff run average for the playoff run thirty four, eight and four in the finals, which they lost. Averaged forty one nine and three down two in the finals in nineteen sixty seven before he left for the ABA, fifty five twelve and five game six to try to stay alive. They end up losing by three throws up forty four points. He then leaves and goes to the ABA. In the ABA nineteen seventy averaged forty and ten in round one and lost in seven and in that game seven scored fifty two points. Nineteen seventy one. The very next year they losing round one again, what does he do? Averages thirty four to twelve and four including game six, So the previous year they losing game seventy scores fifty two. This year they losing game six, he scores forty five. So the very next year, how does the playoffs start for him? A fifty point game averages for the playoff run thirty one, seven and four gets the finals in the ABA and loses. Now he's back in the NBA. Nineteen seventy five. Let's go through it because it's pretty legend. Nineteen seventy five. First game of the playoffs thirty nine points, five rebounds, eleven assists, and eight blocks. Thirty nine, five, eleven and eight to start the playoffs. Western Conference Finals, first game thirty eight points, five rebounds, for assists, five blocks. When he's down three to two in the Western Conference Finals, not only come back and win in Game six thirty six points, eight rebounds, three assists, seven blocks. And then in the finals against Elvin Hayes. You've heard on this list, Wes unseldom missed it. He sweeps the Bullets, sweeps them. And in those finals Game two, thirty six points, nine rebounds, four assists, three two blocks, Game Game three thirty eight points, four rebound, six assists, five steals, one block. Games two and three in the finals. Yeah, underhand free throw shooter. He shot ninety percent shooting on your hand. I've heard it's more accurate. It is more accurate, But no, everybody's too prideful to do it. So listen. He was nobody liked Rick Berry. He was like, he's got two sons that are in the league or were in the league, and uh John and Brent uh and now they're broadcasters. He's people. He seemed to really rub people the wrong way. His If you go to his Wikipedia page, it has so clearly been edited by someone close to him or him himself that it has a disclaimer on here that this page cannot be verified by Wikipedia, because if you go to the wiki page, everything in there, any disputy has it's like, actually, the true story is Rick was doing this and doing that. There was a moment in a playoff game where he got fight and none of his teammates came to his age, and people really didn't seem to like him. But the guy, the guy again, I just went over that. His playoff resume is really really spectacular. He's the twenty sixth best player of the last fIF years. He's the oldest guy on our list. One Rick Berry. Here's a different Rick with a Rick Berry comic personality.
Speaker 7: Wise, Rick Barry wouldn't make your top one thousand, But as a player, he's right there with Jerry West. And I don't say that make that comp just because they're both white, but because they had very similar games, very complete games at both ends of the floor. So I would have him right up there with Jerry.
Speaker 2: Okay, so listen, I respect Rick Nuker there and Jerry West obviously is too old to be eligible for this list. But Jerry West is a different tier than Rick Berry. Jerry West, poor guy lost eight straight finals career, one to eight in the finals, just kept losing to the Celtics, kept going to the finals, and kept losing to the Celtics. Then finally won finally one in seventy two, the team we were talking about before. But Jerry West also had I again a little respect for Jerry West here. I just want to I'm mentioning he lost all those finals. Jerry West in the sixty two finals losing seven, average thirty one again Jerry West. The next year finals, losing six. They just kept losing to Bill Russell. Averaged thirty a game, Jerry West. He then missed the finals one year. The next year in the sixty five finals, losing five, average thirty four a game. The very next year he's back in the finals, losing seven again average thirty four a game. Two years later he's back in the finals, losing six to Boston average thirty one again one of these finals, he averaged forty some points and loss. I can't find it, but listen, he as Jerry West is as great as Rick Barry was. Jerry West was better. That's the end of the Jerry West segment. That probably means we've spent too much time on the Rick Berry segment. Nothing says ratings bonanza like talking about players older than the oldest guy on our list. Will be right now? All right, Well, that just about does it for today's edition of the fifty Best Players last fifty years. We've now given you players fifty through twenty six. So next week we get into the top twenty five players of the last fifty years. And if you're still listening, that means you did make it through eight minutes of Rick Berry with a little bit of Jerry West talk mixed in. I appreciate that. My promise to you is not only will next week be more contemporary players. Next week we'll have at least one current active player I think the only active player. No, we've had two active players so far that have been on this list three Carmelo Anthony Anthony Davis and Kawhi Leonard. We will have another active player, Russell Wilsborth. We've had four. I forgot about Russell, thank you to mose So. But we will have another active player, at least one Dwight Howard. We've had five. Okay, I'm doing a terrible job remembering my own list. Doesn't matter. The point is we will have another, at least one more active player on next week's week's list, plus one man who has some records that will simply never be broken, no longer how long the game is played. All that's next week on the What's Right with the Great podcast is to continue to countdown of the fifty best players for the last fifty years in the NBA