Speaker 1: I don't think I told you guys about this at all, and I guess, you know, why would I. But I had this situation and then it kind of it changed last week, and so I thought I would share this story because it actually ends up being kind of a in a roundabout way of very pod meats world ish story.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 3: So I did this movie when I was eleven, called Benefit of the Doubt.
Speaker 2: Do you guys this? Of course, so I shot this movie.
Speaker 1: I was like my first big job. I went off to page Arizona. Donald Sutherland is in it. Amy Irving played my mom. Christopher McDonald.
Speaker 2: Do you guys know him. He's a great doctor. So I'm not ago.
Speaker 1: So it was like, you know, I was the only kid on set. I was out in Arizona for I don't know, like three months.
Speaker 2: I'm horrible in the movie.
Speaker 1: I like really struggled as it after I didn't, you know, I just didn't know what was going on. But I had so much fun. Of course, like out there in the desert, I was, you know, getting to shoot guns. I pull a gun a Donald's otherland. At one point we had all these boat chase scenes, you know, and behind the scenes, I'm like reading Stephen King, and I first tried about Edward Abbey became like this great touchstone activist writer that I love.
Speaker 4: Eleven year old writers Disneyland.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, exactly nice.
Speaker 1: And there were these there are these caves that we shot at called Antelope Canyon, which is these slot caves that are these beautif It's like they're open at the top so the sunlight streams down. You've seen them in like every commercial or whatever. So we actually shut down and went there and shot. So last summer, I ended up in Page, Arizona on my road trip with Alex and Indy, and we went to the canyons and I was like, oh my god, I shot a movie here, guys.
Speaker 3: And we did the whole tour and it's beautiful.
Speaker 1: And then we're hanging out in Page, like on the street corner and we're walking down and you know, this tiny town in the corner of Lake Powell, and I start recognizing things. I'm like, oh my god, Oh my god, there's the there's the movie theater. It's like I saw Wayne's World in that movie theater. Like I remember, we had the whole theater to ourselves. We were laughing and I had so much fun. And then like I'm like, wait a minute, Wait a minute, there's there's ice cream. And we go around the corner and there's like this ice cream shop and I'm like, wait, they have frybread. I know they have like Indian frybread, and like, sure enough, I asked be on the counter. We get frybred and I'm like all these memories start and I and I get this like weird crawling sensation in the back of my mind. I was like, it wasn't it wasn't just me and my mom and I was the only kid in the movie.
Speaker 3: I was like, who was my pal? Like who was my friend?
Speaker 1: I watched Wayne's World We got Frybred, like with this person I had this like face and I was like, oh my god, Connie. And I had totally forgotten about this woman, Connie, who was my best friend. And I'm like, wait, she was like twenty five and she was the second AD. Her name was Connie Hoy and she did you know, so as a second AD, she was the person who would have been kind of in charge of like getting me for my trailer. But she was my friend, like I just I and I had totally forgotten that.
Speaker 2: This person existed.
Speaker 1: I was like, we spent the entire shoot hanging out, and she was like, you know, I looked at her as like, you know, my peer, which is.
Speaker 2: Just so funny.
Speaker 1: And I was like, why did this twenty five year old woman spend so much? Like she was so giving and so awesome, and I was like, and the last time I'd seen her was at the premiere of the movie and she was pregnant and I had never seen her since. And so I'm sitting there having all these memories flooded. I'm like, I gotta find Connie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I.
Speaker 1: Pick up my phone, pick up my phone. I'm on the corner page in Indian and Alex were like, let's go. And I'm like, no, no, no, no. So I do the research and I find her. I find like an email address. I send her a letter. I'm like, hey, I don't know if you remember, but like, thank you, like you were like my friend. And I had all these positive and I you know, and within a couple hours.
Speaker 2: She wrote me back and it was like oh.
Speaker 1: And I So we kept writing letters and texting, and then when I got back to La I went and met her for sushi and it was amazing. It was like, she's exactly the same. Of course, she's much older. She went on to not only raise her kid, but she married a guy that she worked with on her next movie who already had kids, and she raised them and she it was just like and it was exactly the same, Like we just fell right back into our friendship. And she had gone on to become a producer. She worked on like all these legendary films from the nineties, like Jim Jarmusch films, I don't know if you guys know him, like a classic. He did the movie dead Man with Johnny Depp, and like, she worked on that, and she just, you know, she's got a film buff obviously, So we started connecting on all the things she's worked on. Anyway, it was great to reconnect. And then we just have been in touch and like sending you know, messages every once in a while. And then of course Donald Sutherland died and when that happened, she texted me and we were like, and so I had this plan to when I was on this road trip this summer. We were texting and I was like, oh, when I get back, you know, She's like, I'm going to take you out.
Speaker 3: To lunch and return the favor and catch up again.
Speaker 1: And then last week I'm in the I'm out in the desert with friends and I get this weird email from somebody I don't know who's like, hey, I'm trying to find writer.
Speaker 3: Connie died.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it was like just this sudden you know, oh what Like I was just texting, so yeah, it's like, uh, and you know, this guy Adam, who was a lifelong friend of hers, is writing to me and he's like, yeah, she I didn't know how any of your contact infos, so he's like finding me through Instagram and whatnot. He's like, because, but I just, you know, I want to let you know and if you want to come to the memorial. And Connie was really you know, affected by your letter and like she really really croudy, like had told everybody in her life, you know, like hey, like look this kid that I worked with remembered me and yeah, just you know, it's one of those things, like so much of what we've been doing on this podcast has been this, you know, like going back and reconnecting with people that really we took for granted. And then also I just think about how the industry takes these people for granted, you know, like when we have especially as a kid, but when you work on a film, you know, whether it's good or bad, it's a lived experience of crewe people and people that dedicate their lives and just are the unsung heroes, you know, whether it's Addie dis Stefano or David Combs or you know, and like their name might not even be in the end credits, you know, and yet they make the entire thing possible, and they it's a collaborative art form. And they also changed the lives of you know, little eleven year old kids who are totally lost and confused about what they're doing.
Speaker 2: And yeah, so I just.
Speaker 1: You know, I wanted to give a shout out to Connie Hoy, Connie Maverick Hoy who passed away and just really.
Speaker 2: Changed my life.
Speaker 3: Was super positive influence, so sweet.
Speaker 4: That's so sweet, and you know, you're right. It ties in so well with what we've been doing with the podcast. And it's such a great reminder too that like when you do have a memory of somebody and they positively impacted you in some way doing the little bit of work, it takes if possible to find them and let them know is so important because you know, you obviously thoroughly enjoyed reconnecting with her, and she enjoyed reconnecting with you, but you would have also never known how much should impacted her until her friend told you, like, wow, she was so proud that this kid she had worked with thirty years later is you know, reaching out to her to reconnect. So, you know, letting somebody know what they mean to you or what they meant to you, even if it was for a really short period of time in your life. You know, how long were you working on that movie?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like three months?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, three months?
Speaker 2: Three months of your life again, you know, and I.
Speaker 4: Saw again and yet you went out of your way and it turned into a beautiful friendship now as adults, and unfortunately was cut short. But it's never too late to reach out until somebody when they met.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let people know, you know, and like, and that's what's so great about the internet, right, Like, that's the benefit is that we can find each other. We can't you know, people don't just get lost. We can all find each other. But yeah, it's a yeah, I'm really sad, but I'm also really glad that I did at least get to have that moment when and it was, you know, amazing. The friendship was right back there.
Speaker 3: Oh right, you're still just as cool.
Speaker 6: It's one of those things where, whether you believe in fate, whether they don't believe in fate, you easily could have thought about her again after she had already passed away. Yeah, and you wouldn't have had that opportunity, but you didn't something. You were in the right place at the right time, and you had the memory and you were able to reconnect.
Speaker 2: And I don't know whether you believe.
Speaker 6: In higher powers, fate, whatever you want to call it, something somewhere needed you guys to get together again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at least one more time. So yeah, that's very cool.
Speaker 4: Thank you for sharing with us, writer, and I love you both very much.
Speaker 2: I love you. I love you too.
Speaker 4: Welcome to Pod meets World. I'm Danielle Fischel, I'm.
Speaker 2: Right or Strong, and I'm Wilfordell.
Speaker 4: Seasons four and five of Boy Meets World are unique for many reasons, and one of those reasons makes booking the rewatch podcast thirty years later a slightly more difficult task. Gone are the days of rapid fire of up and coming young names like Carrie Russell, Lindsay Price and Will Esti's for every episode, making way for actors who were a little on the older side, say Paul Gleeson, the guys from the Love Boat, Soopy Sales, Buddy Hackett, and the incomparable Phil Leads. I know he looked young, but he was in fact old Phil.
Speaker 2: No, he was not.
Speaker 4: I'm surprised to have to tell you that easy. Many of these stars, each leaving undeniable contributions to the legacy of our show, are no longer with us. So when a scene stealing guest star that was our age pops up on screen these days, we'd jump at the chance to talk to them. And today's guest is just that he's so cool. His first acting job after moving from Uruguay at the age of ten was on Miami Vice. Oh not great. He'd quickly book roles on TV mainstays like The Wonder Years and Blossom, and eventually inserting himself into the Star Trek canon as the Borg Drone Hugh on Star Trek the Next Generation, a role he reprised two other times for the franchise He's been on and off Broadway, studying acting from New York to Harvard, eventually appearing on Nip Tuck as the unforgettable character Sophia Lopez, a transgender patient who's come to McNamara Troy for a procedure. He's also appeared on twenty four and The Sopranos, and was a series regular on The Closer and its spinoff, Major Crimes. He's a political, environmental, and gay rights activist who has worked for five presidential campaigns and was awarded the twenty thirteen Visibility Award from the Human Rights Campaign. But today we are talking to him about one appearance he made back in nineteen ninety seven as Nunzio, the handsome waiter at El Coyote who just wants to dance with Tapanga. Oh and he has a connection to one of us that might just blow your mind. Welcome to pod meets World, the wonderful Jonathan Delarco.
Speaker 5: My god, yeah.
Speaker 4: Oh, my goodness, it happens to the best of us. Thirty years later, here we are.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 5: How strange is that.
Speaker 4: It's so good to see you. Thank you so much for being here. You you without even knowing it, you joined a little bit of a club on our podcast for what we call perfect drive Bys. It's a guest star who swung in for one episode, gave it all you had, and it was just absolutely wonderful, So.
Speaker 2: We would kill it, killed it left giving.
Speaker 4: You your flowers. What an episode?
Speaker 2: You're the whole episode.
Speaker 5: It's a yes, I just free watched it because I'm like, literally, I hadn't seen it since it aired, right, and I'm like, Wow, they let me do those dance moves. That's really d.
Speaker 4: You're so glad they did it?
Speaker 2: Was you know, I love it?
Speaker 4: You even talking third part?
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly so. And I was so much older than you guys, that's no way, no dude, I was like twenty nine.
Speaker 4: Really okay, I wouldn't.
Speaker 2: I did not know.
Speaker 5: All these days we have a twenty nine year old actor being well.
Speaker 4: You know what's funny is that you were then almost the same age as Trina.
Speaker 2: Yeah right right, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Trina I think was like twenty seven or twenty.
Speaker 1: Eight, and she and I were actually making out all the time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like you would all be arrested.
Speaker 4: Now, it's so funny. Well, before we jump in and talk about Nunzio, I wanted to get a little bit into your origin story. We know you were born in Uruguay. Is that where the idea for becoming an actor was born?
Speaker 5: I mean kind of. I was always a performer when I was a little kid, and I would do like poppet shows and dirty jokes at my uncle's bar, like you know, the tips. And I was always just not kind of an odd kid when I was little. And then we moved to the US when I was ten, and so I was immediately the odd man. I mean I didn't speak English and I had a weird really already I was ten, so I had this like weird voice, and I spoke very little English, and I learned English watching TV over over one summer.
Speaker 2: Oh man, And what are your watching? Do you remember what you were watching to learn English?
Speaker 5: I watched what was on Brady Bunch. We're talking like seventy six, so Brady Bunch Days, Lucy Happy Days, Gilligan's Island, all shows that were like big hits.
Speaker 2: Classic Mark and Mindy.
Speaker 5: I watched some British like Benny Hill, some really British comedy, and I like learned English in two months.
Speaker 3: That's amazing. And you have no accent like you.
Speaker 5: It was. So, what's weird is I grew up in Portchester, New York, and all the kids talk like this. Oh I didn't I talk like a kid'.
Speaker 3: You do?
Speaker 6: You have what TV actors called a non regional diction, so you can be from everywhere.
Speaker 2: That's what that's what you want to be. Oh god, So that was the.
Speaker 5: Iguish I learned. And then I really because of watching TV, I was like, I think that that's my vibe, Like I could do that. And then yeah, so I became you know, I lived near New York, so Broadway was kind of always there, and I think I was like maybe fourteen when I saw Matthew Broderick win a Tony and I watched him win the award and I was like, I could play that. I mean I didn't know what the part was, but saw him and I was like, well, I could do what he's doing. And then I went ahead and did just like for all the places he had done and like picked up the scraps and along the way. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And so what did your parents think about the stream you had and pursuing it.
Speaker 5: My mom and dad were like super dreamer people, like they they like my dad moved here when he was made there. I had older parents, so they moved to the States when my dad was already in his fifties, so like my age and like maybe a little younger than I am now. My mom was younger than him, she was in her forties, and he like uprooted the family and like moved and so okay, and he was. So they were always very adventurous, my dad in particular, and they just encouraged it. They were like, go do it. I don't know, I mean they were very like hands off parents in a way. They were not helicoptery at all, maybe because they were older. You know, if you want to do that, go do that. You seem pretty good at it. So they they were good. They were really good about it. My mom when my sag unionship bo car for it at the time. So yeah, I had a really supportive family. I wasn't a kid actor, but super weird because I looked really really young, played kid rolls until I was I think your Show was probably the last I think it was. I think it was the last time casting was like you're not twenty nine, right, It got weird. I mean I was, you know what, I mean, and that was I mean, I was playing a little older than you guys, but not much.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, you were a manager of the restaurants. You were early.
Speaker 6: Twenty Yeah yeah, but you just make it weird to go dancing with the girl from high school.
Speaker 5: I guess it does. Maybe on set too, I was like, I know, like, what was I going to talk to you guys about. You know, I mean, first of all, I was gay and out and like going to clubs as a game man, So like, I'm going to talk to the kids about that. Let me talk about nothing. I have nothing in common. That's I mean, my girl, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's so funny. I love that. Even then for yourself, you're like, I think this is the last time I'm going to audition for.
Speaker 5: Nature and then it didn't work for like forever. You guys, baby faces probably know what I'm talking about. That weird twilight zone of like you look like a kid, but you're really a man.
Speaker 4: And we right in your intro we mentioned that your first big TV job was on Miami Vice, And I'm not sure there's a cooler show to debut or cool Which episode?
Speaker 2: Which episode?
Speaker 5: What did you do?
Speaker 2: Which episode was Paul.
Speaker 5: I remember my first gig. It was called God's Work. It was it was the first episode I think on television that dealt with AIDS, which was like major taboo at the time. And Issie Morales played a character whose I think his lover was sick and like some church like hospice place. I was this punk kid who was like graffeiting the church. I don't know. I was like not a good guy. I was like a brady kid. That was my first gid. I was crazy.
Speaker 4: And how old were you then?
Speaker 5: So I must have been twenty two, twenty two, okay, yeah, anyway, and you got to work with you, you know.
Speaker 6: And you got to work with Isi Morales and with Don Johnson and with the whole I mean everybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so cool.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I gotated by Tubbs, you know. So I was, I know, crazy, It's best And I got that because the director of that had come to see me in a play and thought I was interesting and took me out to lunch. And it was a female director. Janelized she still works a ton brilliant director. She took me out to lunch. She's like, I think you're a really interesting actor. Blah blah blah. You should audition for this, this and that next thing. I know, I'm getting an offer. I mean, I'm a kid, I'm a young actor getting an offer to go do Miami Vice. And I arrived at wardrobe and she's there and I'm like, oh my god, what are you doing here? She's like, how do you think you got the job?
Speaker 4: That's so cool, that's amazing. So that's how you find yourself. Then moving to LA in your early twenties and you get to appear on some great shows Wonder Years, Blossom, but it's Star Trek as Borg Drone Hugh. That's just such a big breakout for you. Did you know anything about Star Trek when you auditioned.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I did, because well, I watched. One of the shows I watched and learn English from was the original series. Yes, I would stay up late at night and I was on at the time in reruns, so I was a fan of the original series. And then I tested for the role that Will Wheaton got on Next Gens Okay Rusher, So while I was in New York, I tested from New York for that role. So I was really familiar with the world, but I had not watched it and I didn't know, I didn't know I had a fandom, you know what I mean. I wasn't aware of that part of it. And also you remember like back then it was like if you weren't a syndicated show, it wasn't like cool. Yeah, it was led to the thing like you guys like syndicate. So I was like, it's a syndicated show, Like who cares? I mean I didn't he cares, but I didn't think he was going to have No.
Speaker 2: It's so crazy to think about, you know.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was like filmmaking. It was like grant, you know, you had a patina not as fancy as.
Speaker 2: So you were. You were a board.
Speaker 3: Did you have to do a bunch of makeup and all that kind of stuff?
Speaker 5: Oh? Oh yeah, I was in heavy, heavy duty makeup.
Speaker 6: And was it still Mike Was it Mike west Moore that was doing the makeup there at the time?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah. Did you do the Startork two?
Speaker 2: No? I know, I wish no.
Speaker 6: I did what I did a pilot for National Geographic when I was fifteen, and one of the things I'd do. They flew me out to Hollywood and I interviewed everyone on Star Trek and then they Mike Westmore brought me into the chair and made me up like a Romulin and then I just got to hang out and interview everybody like as I'm dressed like a Romulin. I Also, I've been friends with Wheaton since we were like thirteen, so I kind of knew that whole world.
Speaker 2: But you go there, I mean, it's exactly what you're saying.
Speaker 6: You go to boy Mets World, and yes, we were network, but you go to stage two and there's boy Mets World. You went to see Star Trek. It was like seven stages worth of stuff. Yeah, and they were took over the Paramount lot. It was everywhere.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they had they had they seemed like seven I think they got they had three permanent ones.
Speaker 2: Was it three?
Speaker 5: That?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 5: You know there were more because there were other If you went there when they were doing uh, deep Space nine, they had an entire Yeah, they pretty much owned Paramount.
Speaker 4: You have an action figure.
Speaker 5: You know, it's so stupid.
Speaker 2: It's it's the best. It's stupid, it's the best.
Speaker 5: It's really weird. But conventions, you guys know this because like your ship is right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you know, listen, no matter how large our cult audience has become nothing is touching Star Trek. So, like, what is your favorite fan story of someone recognizing their favorite drone?
Speaker 5: Oh my god, I had weird ones. I had like a weird Japanese stalker that made all of me. Yeah, but she like got the hint that I wasn't interested. She definitely some intimate time with the board.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 5: But most of them have been really sweet. I love like going to a convention now and having like little kids. That was in England maybe last year, and this like cute little eight year old seven year old kid came up and told them told me I was his favorite character, and just like I don't give you your grandfather. I mean, it's so weird that they just yeah, you know, and it's a weird per set like that. That's so weird what we do, isn't it That it just kind of lives on and people Yeah, same, you know, it's amazing.
Speaker 6: Well, Jean Luke Picard wasn't even happy that Doctor Crusher brought you onto this onto the Enterprise in the first place, so I mean it is what it is.
Speaker 5: At this point, I got to actually work with him again on Picard.
Speaker 2: So nice. Yeah, that's so cool, brilliant actor.
Speaker 4: Well, I have one more question for you before we jump into El Coyote from Boy Meets World. During our research, we learned that you and the Strong family actually go way back. Is it true that you played the role of Adam Larson on a little show called The Mommies the pilot?
Speaker 5: What and it trade sent me? What they did to me sent me straight to therapy.
Speaker 4: We talk about this so much of how this happened.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was messed up. I got the Mommies. It was do you remember do you remember? I don't You guys probably don't remember that they were these women that had NBC had given them this great platform. They were on TV. They gave every opportunity to launch the series and it was like a buzz buzz buzz and I got cat kid. I was old. I mean I was like not a kid, and you know, director would be like, could you make that sound younger? And I was like, means, so I get cast. They filmed the pilot. It was all exciting before the obviously the Internet and that summer it gets picked up. But I don't but I don't know what that means as a kid, right, you don't as a young person. You're like, I don't know what it means. I didn't get picked up yet. And then they air all the ads with me in it. All the ads are like aired. I'm like in every clip, all my friends are calling me from New York. Dude, I saw your ad for your TV show. I'm like, yeah, I don't doing it anymore. And it was because I think your brother had a deal something they were I think they cast me waiting to see if your brother's deal had fallen through or whatever. Oh and then I worked with you and that was a funny, like sort of full circle. But yeah, no, that was that was rough. I was like, I'm doing it because this was like the first, the first thing I ever and I think the only thing I've ever were gotten fired from. Or it's super crushing. I mean, it's it makes you like doubt everything you're doing. Yeah, yeah, why am I bad? And all that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so hard with acting.
Speaker 1: You just you can't help it, take it personally right, because it feels it's you. It's your voice, it's your body, it's your face, and it's just you can't help but be like, well I could have done it right. But it's like the reality is, of course it's it's not you, right, Like, the reality is it's not personal and it's not about you, and you're just too old or they're not right for the part.
Speaker 3: But you can't help it. I mean, especially at that age, it's just so crushing.
Speaker 5: Ow and you know you guys know, like you get like the dangling of they show you, like what the contract is, change, I'm gonna travel, I'm gonna have a great life, and then it's like nuts so fast. So I gave up on pilots at that point. I decided pilots were just just like not the best way in the door. Well, like just getting a guest spot that becomes something else is usually a much better trajectory.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's bad enough to be replaced, which I think ninety nine percent of actors have had happened.
Speaker 2: But when they then go and use the clips that you're really messed up. That's not cool at all. It's like that's just taking it.
Speaker 5: To another union, got them taken down. I think, yeah for it, but it was just humiliating, yeah right, I mean it's excited that you were. It'd be like showing the gallery shoot with you in it on a billboard in it, right, Yeah, I never met your brother. I never I never hung out with that circle after that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well showed in last didn't didn't you?
Speaker 5: It wasn't my good show.
Speaker 2: But no, he was. He was pretty unhappy.
Speaker 1: It was, you know, because all the part ended up just being him making out with a girl like that was the recurring joke is that he's always just hanging around and it was just a nothing, thankless part.
Speaker 2: He was. He was not happy, but whatever.
Speaker 4: I want to talk Boy Meets World with you. Yes, do you remember auditioning for Boy Meets World?
Speaker 5: I don't, you know, you have to remember. For you guys, the show is like a big chunk of your life. For me, it was a yeah, I feel like I remember so the really handsome guy that got like said the other role. I remember him coming in the Sergia Sergia so we both auditioned and I remember and he was I'm short, he was really tall and handsome, and I was like, well, that guy's gonna get it, like that's like a noe brainer. And he goes and you hear through the door laughs, and then I just remember, you know, so many of these sitcoms are like you know tropes, right of the stereotypical he was like the stereotypical lover, but kind of a sweet guy Nunzio, right, that he helps the boys and all that. Yeah, So I just like so totally leaned into that sort of self love, right, And I remember they just died. They just thought it was so funny. So it felt good because you were in the room and they were just cracking up, right, So that's all I remember about it. It's definitely in the room. It was not self tape.
Speaker 4: Right exactly before you audition, did you know anything about Boy Meets World? Had you ever seen the show? I know you mentioned you were twenty nine and we were obviously on Friday nights and probably not watching the show.
Speaker 2: That creepy watching, look right, you were not aware of it?
Speaker 5: Well, I was in acting school and I was I was taking acting classes and we were all doing Shakespeare and you know whatever, Chuck Off and what. I think. We watched Friends and like they were the more adult shows that we were into. So, I mean, I knew it was out there because it was a hit, you know, we I knew the hits, right, and getting job like that was always great. But I didn't watch it wasn't Yeah, so what do.
Speaker 4: You remember from filming that week? And we promise you no story is too small or too detailed, just whatever you remember about the way.
Speaker 5: I remember. So, I remember being like these kids number one. I was like, they're all kids number one. The girls were great, like I had like I was, I navigate the girls great. The boys were like completely out of control. I remember the boys were just like crazy, like teenagery, you know, like I don't know what was happening that week. It was like a hormonal I don't know what was I think there were a couple of girls in the show too that were like eights or something.
Speaker 4: I don't know if it was Sonia and Cookie.
Speaker 5: It was like a sort of like a boy thing to like sort of show off with the girls. I don't remember. But there was an older the director was this older dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you guys.
Speaker 5: Were like relent, like you tease him and whatever. The boys would be like funny with him. Hey. I remember him turning to me and going, I'm sorry, he's like kids like, no, I I get it.
Speaker 2: I got it.
Speaker 5: Always really out of control that week, and the kids.
Speaker 2: Is always on. We were always on.
Speaker 1: We had so much energy and I think back I must have been just exhausting.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so yeah, no connectivity there For me, it was like.
Speaker 4: Can you get me the second you need me, and not a moment before.
Speaker 5: Also at that age, and you're playing like a peer of like celeric kids that are stars, right, that have been a show forever, And all my friends are like starving actors. You know, there's a very different aesthetic, like it's a young actor than to like the working kids are a different world. You guys lived in your yeah in a way, right, Yeah, sure, But I was reading some stuff about like the challenges too. I mean I can't imagine being a kid actor on a sitcomb in those days. It must have been so weird to have. I don't know that all the expectations they you must have had thrust upon you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It was an easy job in some ways, right, Like compared to shooting single camera or shooting film. It was a great schedule and we were always laughing, We were always having fun. But yeah, certainly like the fame and the pressure and you know, we just didn't know what we were doing, just were clueless.
Speaker 5: You know and all like the thing to remember too. Like, I bet a lot of people that are watching now don't realize that all those shows were run by straight man men very specific ideas about what was funny, Yes, I wasn't offensive, or was you know, very very interesting. I mean definitely, Like I was saying, like the tropes of being Latino. I mean, I get into it to be able to get the gigs, but there was a ton of I mean not your show, but other com I did were like the racism was sort of inherent in the writing. You know, yeah, teryotypical you know, Latino thing, or the stereototypical woman thing, or want to young what are young boys like? You know, it's funny when you watch stuff and even like Friends, Oh yeah, Friends, and you're like, they just make a homophobic joke, and you're like, right, they totally did.
Speaker 2: They did a whole homophobic episodes of Friends.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you're like, wow, there was a game writer around the show too, and you're like that's really interesting. Yeah.
Speaker 4: We've talked about it a lot for Boy Meets World too, because there were actually, surprisingly, we've been pleasantly surprised that there were quite a few very progressive episodes and progressive scenes and progressive thinking, and then every now and then you get one in there and you're like, this whole episode is tinged with toxic masculinity or homophobia, like and it's hard to parse through which one it is. You know, Yeah, it's you know, the time it was brought UCTs up their time, and we can't go back and change them. But it is interesting to notice, and it's and it's important to recognize and be able to acknowledge it and say, we don't do that anymore, and we're you know, it's nice to to see that.
Speaker 5: Change and jump. I guess too. You guys don't forget. But the audience listening, they had a crank, like what twenty five episodes a year. Yeah, at some point you're just going, is this funny or not? Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Exactly?
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So yeah, Well the dance that's in this episode has gone viral a few times over the Oh yeah, it goes viral every every couple of years. It's so funny. What do you remember from the hot stuff dance routine in the nightclub?
Speaker 5: I remember getting into like that little tight thing with like a change. Yeah, all my hair was ridiculously long.
Speaker 2: I mean I still have long hair, but that it looked great.
Speaker 5: That was ridiculously long. But I remember then not playing any music for us to dance. Do you remember that?
Speaker 2: They were, oh, of course, And I was.
Speaker 5: Like, I'm sorry, I've never you know. That was like a live tape situation, like we're supposed to dance to nothing.
Speaker 4: No music.
Speaker 5: I was like, so what will it be be? They're like, we don't know yet we have the music. That's what I remember thinking this, this feels super awkward.
Speaker 4: That's another thing we've talked about the amount of episodes where we have music playing and somebody's supposed to be dancing, and we've talked about do you remember how awful those always were because you have nothing to dance too, and yet you're either supposed to look like you're a good dancer or a bad dancer, but you don't know what the sound is going to be, and it's just so uncomfortable, especially.
Speaker 3: When it's a whole room with people because they have all these background actors.
Speaker 1: Yes, they're happy to do Yeah, everybody's doing their own rhythm, like what are we doing?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Situation.
Speaker 4: Do people in your life know that you were on Boy Meets World? Have you ever been recognized for Boy Meets World?
Speaker 5: So it's something super weird happened. Maybe like fifteen years ago. I was doing a play that was like an education play. It was called Books to Life. You can bring a book to life essentially for the school system. And I was performing this gang, this play about La Gangs of all things. It was like a one man show. And the kids, the Latino kids from like the barrio in downtown La totally call me out Edmundzio. They're like, what is happening? Like, yo, that's news too. I was like, what, yo, you got old? You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: Like watched it thinking it was like a.
Speaker 2: Year now of course, well.
Speaker 5: Aged twenty years at the time. Yeah, I'm much older now.
Speaker 4: Thank you, thank you for the commment.
Speaker 5: So, but it's weird recause your show. It's kids new kids, watch it right, yes.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, And it always is shocking to me when it's you know, an eleven year old who's like, oh my gosh y, yeah, so funny.
Speaker 5: It's interesting, right, all our sort of paths.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep.
Speaker 4: It's so great now that there are so many different opportunities and avenues for actors to make a living in other ways because it was so it was so much harder back then. It was like the you know, even now talking about being able to do conventions, how great have conventions been for people to help make it make us, you know, make us a living in between the times when you're booking jobs. It's like we didn't used to have those options.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, I agree. I mean I I because of Star Trek. I was doing conventions even when I did your show, because it exists in the seventies. But conventions now like every show has their own yep, yeah, their own sort of thing. So yeah, it's fun too. I mean I always wonder, like when you it must be weird for you guys to have had like this huge success so young. One of you said in some quote I read, it's weird like you the first line of your obituaries already written. That really kind of made me think, like that's kind of wild. Because with Star Trek, I'm also like, god, I hope that's not the first line. They Yeah, like I big, so that I can you know, like not that I hate it, but it's like you don't want to be identified as something did so long ago, right.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, I mean you're on the Sopranos, for God's sakes. I mean that was the huge show which we didn't get to talk about, which I would love to have talked about.
Speaker 4: What we will talk about it Moranos a little bit. Okay, let's talk Sopranos.
Speaker 2: Go for it. Well, what was it like to be on Sopranos?
Speaker 5: Was like going into the mob? Was it really the priests and the Sopranos? And I actually self taped that out of la So I never auditioned for it, and that was self tape. Wasn't even a thing then. But I got to New York, they got me, They drove me to Jersey. I got through hair and makeup and into my priests got and we were in an Italian neighborhood shooting on location. Well, they all acted like I was a priest. They were all like your father thought. I mean, they were so reverential.
Speaker 4: Let me tell, let me tell our dear listeners, so they know what we're talking about. You played Father Jose of Saint Eliza's Church, the Keeper of the Saints hat, and you had a very intense scene with Polly Walnuts.
Speaker 5: Yeah, who showed up hair already done. You didn't touch Oh I love that. Shut up camera ready. You didn't touch his hair on his face? I did. It Definitely felt like it felt very real, is all I'm going to say. Like everyone very legitimately like you were walking into the show. It didn't feel like a bunch of actors sitting around to you know, be asking about whatever it was.
Speaker 4: It was just like your time on Boy Meets World.
Speaker 6: Yes, very similar, very similar, very.
Speaker 5: It was superb subversion. Let Yeah, apparently priests very popular in the mob, so all one messed with me. They were a little scared that I would put some kind of hecks on them or sometimes the power of the collar.
Speaker 4: Yes, I also want to talk to you after you totally killed it on our show. You ended up in two thousand and three on Ryan Murphy's Nip Tuck, and you played a trans woman, Sophia Lopez, in an emotional three episode arc where you visit the doctor to have your Adams apple shaved down. It was incredibly early to play a transgender character on television and it is such a memorable role. What was that experience like for you?
Speaker 5: So that show was so I didn't work since I finished when I I think your show was the last thing I did until I did. No, I did your show, and then I didn't work for several years. I had and then I did. My manager, who's also my husband, got me. He's like, do something like, please work tiny role in a pighilt of a transgender character. The pilot was called First Monday. It's like, you do this part. You should just try And I'm like, oh, I don't know what, what even is that? So I did this little role as a transgender character. It's like, oh, I could totally play that. Because back then they weren't that that's not a topic that was explored. Gender actors existed in the theater world, but they were not in the industry. It wasn't like there was a ton of people that were being considered for these roles. And if you could, I'm a character actor, so if you could become something physically different, why not. And then the nip Talk role came along and it was like nip Talk was just it broke the mole on everything. They just did whatever they wanted to. Ryan did whatever he wanted to, and so yeah, it was definitely, I mean, it's a role I couldn't play now, obviously because there are transgender actors playing there, but back then there really weren't that many. So I feel really lucky I got to play her. She was an amazing character.
Speaker 4: I was wondering if you could talk to us a little bit about the differences and opportunities for gay actors comparing the nineties and now.
Speaker 5: I mean, I was totally in the closet in the nineties as an actor. I wasn't out, Like I wouldn't come to set and talk to you about my husband or my life would yeah, matter of fact, the comics and I was also kind of like young heart throbby type of vibe and so like the comics of the warm up would be like there's a girl here who wants to know if you've got a girlfriend. That kind of thing happened to be at Mommies and completely was like why what do I do? I don't want to lie about who I am. It was very complicated. It was like about who I am, but I don't want to come out and I don't want it to be this thing. And there were normal people, you know. Definitely I couldn't have played any of the parts I played in the sitcoms, right right? That really changed, you know that. I mean it definitely since Wooling Grace kind of opened the door. Now I just audition for whatever. There's no I don't they There's a lot less pigeonholing of gay actors now. I think we have a much bigger spectrum of what we can play, and there's more gay characters that are written in fun I got for a lot of gay characters because there's a lot of women. There's a lot of Latino characters now that are way more complex than they used to be. Back in our day of the nineties, you had you either like the Latin lover as Latin lover or like a gang kid in a drama, right right. That was like the two options. And then it's changed, you know. I mean, I played a gay Latino doctor who was a foreigner for like ten years on a show. Just go like, oh the moles thrown out. It's much more.
Speaker 4: Free, you know. So that's great.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry, from a business standpoint, when you're married to your manager, do you still have to give him fifteen percent?
Speaker 5: It's worse than that because when we have bites, he goes. You know, if we get divorced, I get six and the ten. So it's actually like a deal because I one hundred percent make and work for it. Where's my appointment to such and such and I need this done and yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: How long have you guys been married?
Speaker 5: Thirty well married legally since two thousand and eight, but we've been up together over thirty years.
Speaker 4: Wow, do you.
Speaker 2: Have any kid?
Speaker 4: He were you guys together when you did Boy Meets World?
Speaker 5: Yeah, one hundred Yeah, that's amazing. We don't have kids. I'm not a fan of children. I like dogs. Okay, there you go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well too well to do parents.
Speaker 5: So yeah, no kid.
Speaker 4: I at least appreciate that you know you don't like kids and then didn't have them and decided after thank you.
Speaker 5: Kids. Unlike the Pied Piper, kids like love.
Speaker 2: Me, will same with me.
Speaker 5: They says that, I'm like, get away from your kids. You're bothering me that same way, but they love me. I love kids, and like, I love kids if they're cool, like they're just little people to me. They're either little people or they're little all jerks.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, so sometimes they're sometimes they're both.
Speaker 5: Sometimes they're both. I just don't need that in my life. You know, Yeah, I don't have that gene. So, but I have lots of friends with kids, lots of gay friends with kids. That's a whole other topic, the whole subversion of gay people the kids anywhere.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they yeah, they really halt your life for a little bit. Yep, it's true. So on top of being on the Closer and Major Crimes and Picard and Station nineteen last year, you also somehow find time to be a vital voice for so many important causes, most notably for the LGBTQ plus community. And you've worked on three presidential campaigns, spoken for anti bullying initiatives, You've taken up environmental issues, and you were a celebrity surrogate for Obama's twenty twelve campaigns. First, how do you have the time to be so great?
Speaker 2: He doesn't have kids? He does have kids.
Speaker 4: You're right, You've already answered that one. And then secondly, what is it that makes you want to speak up for things that are so important to you?
Speaker 5: Well, we could add fourth campaign because I'm a surrogate for a comma.
Speaker 4: Like Kamala Harris.
Speaker 5: Okay, great, So I think something happens for human beings. I read this somewhere like the stages of being a human. A good human is you get to a stage where like you need to give back. Yeah, usually people have a kid, like in their thirties or whatever. I think at that stage, my giving back was like community, you know, and yeah, make some sort of causes. That's how I like. I actually love it just as much as being an actor. It's really campaigning and working on like something that's bigger than you. And yeah, money for kids that are getting bullied or you know, just things that are seemingly unfair in the world. Try to educate people. So for me, like it's I love finding time for that because that's really really a fun fulfilling aspect that sometimes acting doesn't give me. Right, I think that the industry doesn't really have an opportunity. I mean, you know everyone in a while you do work as an actor that feels significant, but that's kind of rare. But with with sort of all the social stuff and politics, I understand it and I speak it, you know what I mean, I get it. So I feel like it's a talent I have that I want to like use, for want of a better word, for the good of all right, So it's exciting. It's an exciting world, the world of politics. It has the potential to change so many lives. I think that I don't really understand me. A lot of people are so turned off by politics, and yeah, we have a flawed system and there's just a lot wrong with it, but there's a lot that without it wouldn't get done right. So yeah, I'm a real big believer in voting and getting people to be engaged and not give up. You know, because at the end of the day, we kind of hold the keys to the car, so if we all exercise that power, we would have a much I think we think. I believe most people are pretty great. You know, we all like got together and really decided what was important. We would actually agree more than we think. You know.
Speaker 1: Wow, I'm so impressed by your optimism that you that you've been able to maintain it, because I feel like when people go into politics or activism, you can so quickly turn bitter, you know, or just feel like you're always fighting and against something.
Speaker 2: But it sounds like you're really.
Speaker 5: There's a lot of disappointment and a lot of you want to hit your head against the wall and you're not understand this. Well, it just takes time, and you know, it just it's we're really big country guys, you know, I mean every state it's its own little country. And I think it's hard to find common ground. But I've seen good enough. I've seen there's more of us that are on the same page than we think. It was.
Speaker 6: It Churchill who said that democracy is the worst form of government except for all the others.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and I think that's absolutely true.
Speaker 6: So it's you know, it's you've got a lot of people with a lot of opinions.
Speaker 5: You know, it's completely what they want for themselves or for their family or their tribe. I mean think were super tribal and we're like oriented like gold, blue, red. And at the end of the day, I mean, you know, I lived through nine nine to eleven, right we all did. Do you remember what that felt like? That was weird couple feeling like, oh, that's what it feels like to be a united country. Yeah, align for anyone, even if I don't agree on my particular issues. Anyone that that truly is striving to bring people together as opposed to politics of ripping people apart. Is an that now it's an actual like strategy, right.
Speaker 2: Sure, well 'or easier to control if we're in little groups.
Speaker 5: One hundred percent.
Speaker 6: So it's you know, it's it's unfortunate, but it's true. So it's you know, anything that brings us all together scares a lot of people, scares a lot of very important people.
Speaker 2: So yeah, but.
Speaker 5: For me, it's actually like being an actor and being involved in these things, they all kind of work hand in hand, you know, because no matter how famous you are not, even if you're on TV a little you have really some kind of platform, even if it's a small one. So why not like use it for something that matters to you? You know?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's great. Well, I love that. Thank you for sharing that with us. We ask this question to a lot of our guests that we have forced to watch episodes of something they did from the nineties. Looking back, if you could tell young Jonathan anything now, what would it be?
Speaker 5: Well, that's good. I never thought I was attractive. I always felt really awkward and like not attractive. I'd be like, you look good, guy, you know you don't not You're not the elephant man. You grow up as a as an immigrant and as gay, and like hiding so much of what you are, you do not. You have a weird sense of how you present to the world. And even though you get affirmed as a young person, Oh you're you're gonna be the handsome whatever, you're this, you're that, you still go like, I am still not you know, what's your brother's name?
Speaker 4: Strong?
Speaker 5: You know you carried. I mean, I'm sure you all have had that experience as actors. Sure, yeah, like I'm not as pretty as this one, or I'm not as as tall as that guy. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Well it's because we're all actors are just by nature, we're horribly insecure people.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But I.
Speaker 1: Also think it plays into the thing you were talking about, you know, right from the beginning, about the trope of like the Latin lover. You know, I know my wife she's a Latin actress, and the entire first ten years of her career, there were only three roles. She would play the maid, the prostitute, or the drug addict, and it was like that's it, you know, And then then everything changed in like ninety eight, when like j lo Is suddenly like, oh we could have Latin actresses be leads. But also she's always felt this pressure, like constantly the roles would be the like vivacious, buxome, Latin, you know, goddess sort of thing.
Speaker 3: And she's like, that's not me.
Speaker 2: I'm not physically that person.
Speaker 1: But she'd have to go out for these roles and she so she has this like crazy insecurity about her looks and it's like, no, you're beautiful, You're just not that trope, you know, but it was it was like it would actually hurt her career to not be that. So I'm impressed like the way that you when you talk about this audition for Boymans or the way that you kind of turned to that and made it more of about like his him owning him, like his his confidence being less about like being this sexy guy, more just as confident, like self loving. I think you said, like I love that that's like, and that spoke to me.
Speaker 5: You remember, he doesn't make the moves on any of the girls.
Speaker 2: No, No, he's.
Speaker 4: Actually he's like, you're not feeling Nunzio like I'm feeling.
Speaker 5: Very sweet in that way, datory right in any way.
Speaker 1: And I think they didn't write it that way originally. I think that's because you brought.
Speaker 3: That and they were so much better. It's so much better.
Speaker 5: Well it disarms people, right someone. Yeah, and I think he needed to be that to get the guys on this, you know, yes, like I'm going to help these poor American boys.
Speaker 2: Can you hate that guy?
Speaker 5: Great?
Speaker 4: Well, As your former dance partner, I would like to say that we are all so proud of you and your career and your activism and the impressive roles that you have gotten to play. And we thank you so much for your time. Thank thank you so much for being here with us.
Speaker 5: We're talking to you guys you as well.
Speaker 4: You thank you.
Speaker 5: Take care, take care, bye bye.
Speaker 4: Another perfect drive by guest star actor, A perfect guest to have on this podcast. He's so interesting, such a great conversation.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and we've talked about this a couple of times, but it is so difficult to be a guest star on it I now, especially an established show, and to come in and you've got.
Speaker 2: What three days maybe total, to.
Speaker 6: Come in and kill it and be you know, you're still remembered for a role you played for one week twenty five or thirty years ago.
Speaker 2: That's just impressive, it really is. It blows my mind that he was with his husband back then. I know, I don't think about that. Just think about how much our lives have changed.
Speaker 1: Exactly the last year, and he's had the same partner since that moment when he was playing amazing character.
Speaker 2: That is like, that's just for me. Such a head trip to think about it. So cool, cool, cool.
Speaker 4: Well, thank you all for joining us for this episode of Podmeets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram meets World Show. You can send us your emails podmeets Worldshow at gmail dot com and we have.
Speaker 2: Merch resistance to our merch is futile.
Speaker 4: Podmeetsworldshow dot com will send us out.
Speaker 2: We love you all, pod dismissed.
Speaker 6: Podmeets World is nheart podcast producer and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfordell and Ryder Strong. Executive producers Jensen Carp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tara sudbachsch producer, Maddie Moore, engineer and Boy Meets World superfan Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon, and you can follow us on Instagram at podmeets World Show or email us at Podmetsworldshow at gmail dot com.