Speaker 1: So we got an email from a woman named Kelly to our Pummies World show at Gmail account, and she said, Hi, I love the show and it's been so fun getting to know you all as people and not just your characters. I was going to ask this at the Dallas show, but the line was already super long before my cousin convinced me to ask, do you three know your Enneagram numbers? It's a personality test, but it really dives into your strengths and weaknesses, and it is so interesting. Every time I listen to your podcast, I can't help but guess your numbers. Writer is a four wing five, Danielle three wing two, and Will seven wing six.
Speaker 2: So for like five percent of our listeners or maybe ten percent, who.
Speaker 3: Maybe the ten percent math magician, that makes a lot of sense, And there are people who are like agreeing, I have no idea what that means.
Speaker 4: Well, how many wings do?
Speaker 3: How many wings do I have to eat?
Speaker 4: You're in whatever it is? A hat.
Speaker 1: Writers four wing five is called the free spirit.
Speaker 4: And here's what it says.
Speaker 1: People with an Enneagram type four wing five personality tend to identify most with type fours, but may also relate to type fives. They are introspective, creative, and perceptive in their behavior. They want to form a deeper understanding of themselves and the world around them. They tend to be much less concerned with public image than other fours.
Speaker 4: So you're wing, I mean more than other fours.
Speaker 2: So isn't everybody concerned with their public image?
Speaker 4: I don't, okay, so I'll tell you what.
Speaker 1: So okay, anyway, so your basic fear four wing fives fear having no impact on the world. They may be they maybe, but they seek recognition and admiration.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, but see that means I do care about my public image, right.
Speaker 1: Right, But then there's a cost exactly just less than other fours. So the wings, it's like one through nine in a circle. Picture it like a pie. And whatever number you are, your wing has to be the number that's closest to that. So you could only be a four wing five or a four wing three, and maybe four wing three has a specific avenue that's like very concerned with public image, whereas like yours is concerned with it a little bit, but not.
Speaker 2: Che tauild so quickly that it just categorizes everything.
Speaker 3: I just I just heard.
Speaker 4: So your basic desire.
Speaker 1: They desire their own personal identity and may retreat within themselves to discover who they really are. Free spirits tend to defend themselves, either by withdrawing from others or adapting characteristics of loved ones.
Speaker 2: Does it say Type fours will reject this orgorization. If you are reading this to a type four, they will roll their eyes.
Speaker 4: And storm out.
Speaker 1: And do you want to know your strengths?
Speaker 4: Here are some of your strengths.
Speaker 1: Staying true to who you are, deeply rooted, curiosity and passion for knowledge, ability to connect deeply with yourself, and objective and creative problem solving.
Speaker 4: Do you want to know your weaknesses?
Speaker 2: I like all of these. I'm like, okay, I'll take those. If those are strengths.
Speaker 1: Here's your weaknesses withdrawing from those around them, difficulty focusing on real world problems, tendency to think too much about themselves, and struggling to follow rules or orders.
Speaker 3: There's also a smell.
Speaker 4: But surely.
Speaker 2: I think I'm pretty practical problems, aren't I know?
Speaker 4: I do? I think?
Speaker 2: I I think I'm like, but I mean anything, you're very I definitely am way too focused on myself. I mean like compared to like you two, I withdraw, but I don't think. I like it's always funny because like I think, everywhere in my life I am considered like an extrovert and like very gregarious until I hang out with YouTube and then I'm like, oh no, no, no I am. I am like way more of an but like an there any other crowd, I'm like pretty outgoing. But it's when I hang out with YouTube that I'm like, oh no, I'm I'm definitely not as mainstream and gregarious and outgoing as these guys.
Speaker 4: So so funny, What am I?
Speaker 3: What? What can you do?
Speaker 4: So yeah, and there you go.
Speaker 1: Yours is called the pathfinder, So she suggest she thought that you were a seven wing six. Yours is called the pathfinder. What is an enneagram type seven? They are usually enthusiastic, responsible, and adventurous in their behavior.
Speaker 4: I don't know that I would call you adventure.
Speaker 1: I mean, if it involves wings, maybe adventures.
Speaker 3: I'm adventurous with eating.
Speaker 1: They enjoy pursuing new experiences, but are much more are able to stick to prior commitments than others.
Speaker 4: Absolutely not. I don't even need to read any more of this.
Speaker 2: Besides, we'll commit to anything more a week.
Speaker 4: Out fear of missing out. What Please do not contact me.
Speaker 2: I am I got my wife and my dog, my dog and my pie. I'm happy.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I thought it was very I thought it was very interesting. She suggested that I was a three wing two, and I did the test, and threes and ones are very similar, and I ended up being a one wing two. And the difference between a one and a three is that basically they're both horribly unfun and completely obsessed with detail and good at organizing and planning. But similar to how we talked about with writer caring about public perception, threes care very much about Like say, for example, you put a one and a three in charge of a big group project, the threes would want to be the people who would want to take kind of the shiny aspects of the project, like the ones that are going to be the most obvious to have helped the group and therefore and get the credit. And the ones are the people who are like, I don't care what you give me. Just give me tons of stuff and let me do it really well. I don't even care if it goes unnoticed.
Speaker 3: You I'm a one.
Speaker 1: So she was pretty close because she got a three, and threes and ones are similar.
Speaker 4: But I'm a one wing.
Speaker 1: Two, which is truly, from what I have read, just an absolutely awful person to be around. Just sounds really miserable to be one of those people.
Speaker 3: But here, I don't think you're awful to be around. But then again, I don't know because I don't leave my house.
Speaker 4: It's right, you have a fear of missing out on who I really am.
Speaker 3: You're of missing out on whatever's going on in my room. I'll have to take it then, because I'm obviously not a seven.
Speaker 1: I'll send it to you because we know writer won't find but well, I want to find out what you are, so I'll send it to you.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, yeah, yeah, you got it.
Speaker 4: Thanks. Well, welcome to pod meets World. I'm Daniel Fishel.
Speaker 2: I'm writer Wing four two.
Speaker 4: Right, what was I to four? No?
Speaker 2: A wing?
Speaker 3: You are five five five, and I'm will Fredell.
Speaker 2: Also, guys, when we started this podcast, I was recording from New York, if you remember, like our first couple episodes, and I was solo parenting because my wife was off in New York making a movie. And now it is finally coming out. Yeah, I know, it's been a long journey. She she's she produced the film. It's called Late Bloomers. It was she found the script and went through a million different rewrites, found the director, put the cast together.
Speaker 3: She this is like, this is her project.
Speaker 2: She raised all the money for it. She and her partner Taylor Feldner. They they're they're a producing team. They they this is their second film, but this one was truly theirs from the ground up. They went through the Sun Dance Labs with it, and it's a really really good little film. It stars Karen Gillen. It's coming out on June seventh, and I think, you know, like this recommendation is actually pretty accurate because it's a it's a comedy with a lot of heart. So I think boy means world fans will really like this film. It actually hits that sweet spot of like so it's a it's the story of a twenty eight year old who breaks her hip and so she ends up in in like rehab and gets kind of stuck with this Polish woman, this older Polish woman in her eighties who doesn't speak any English, and so it has this like it's like this buddy comedy between the two of them, and and then there's more drama to it, which I don't want to reveal, but there's a lot more going on in this twenty eight year old's life that you sort of learn about. So anybody who's ever dealt with Alzheimer's or any sort of aging situations, which is basically all of humanity, will really appreciate this film. And it's it's it's genuinely funny and genuinely good. So it comes out in five cities on June seventh. It's going to be in New York, LA, Dallas, Detroit, and Minneapolis. But then it's also coming out on vod right that same weekend, So please check it out. Like I think, like I said, I think as amazing.
Speaker 3: She's awesome.
Speaker 2: This is a really I mean, she's been able to show her comedy chops a few times, but this is really her shining moment as a comedian.
Speaker 3: And I mean Jumanji and Nebula, from all the Marvel things, she's one of my favorite.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's huge. So it's like it's a little it's a little indie film, but I think, you know, this is a kind of movie that man in the nineties would have had a huge release and been a huge it. But in today's world, you know, it's a very niche thing. But I actually having sat you know, I ha'n't been through the whole process of making it and then sitting in the audience in theaters at festivals. You know, I liked the movie, but I really loved it when I saw it with other people and it's released. It's like one of those films that speaks to older people and younger people at the same time. So I've found myself seeing it for like the fifth time with a crowd just bawling. So it really has like, it really has an emotional impact and a thematic resonance that I think will speak to a lot of people. But it's it's super fun too, So Late Bloomers check.
Speaker 1: It out Late Bloomers June seventh in theaters and then on VOD a week later, So check that out.
Speaker 4: Thank you for sharing with us, writer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is your life Tour for a teenage writer Strong continues this week as we once again make a wish come true for our beloved co host, who I still think has a low key motive to meet all of his childhood heroes through pod meets World.
Speaker 4: Somehow more than just a nineties icon.
Speaker 1: This week's guest is the first artist without a recording contract to have ever hit number one on Billboard's Hot one hundred and coincidentally, that anniversary hit just days before we are speaking to her today, and that one twist of fate, pure talent meeting opportunity to create a legendary song spawned into an unbelievable career that continues to thrive today. Over a dozen studio albums, with two of them going gold back to back, numerous tours around the world, a radio show on SiriusXM, acting gigs on the House of Haunted Hill, Gossip Girl, Fright Night Community, and Hallmark's Hanukkah on Rye, a Food Network show at one time, her own dating show in two thousand six. Two children's books and five kids music albums, one of them Grammy winning. Two plays that she produced and composed music for a voiceover career heard in places like CNN and Chili's commercials, a signature eyeglass line available at Costco, her own coffee brand, A New York Times crossword puzzle she co constructed. Oh, and she also runs a nonprofit charity summer camp for disadvantaged children. Is there anything this lady cannot do? Well, Let's ask her and make her admit her weaknesses. This week's guest is a true legend. Let's hang out with the singer songwriter first discovered on the Reality Byte soundtrack with her song Stay It's Lisa Loebe Hey, hi.
Speaker 4: Guy, are you are good to see you again? Mess you too? Well.
Speaker 1: I want to first thank you so much for being here to do our podcast, but also for performing at was truly one of our very first ever live shows back in twenty twenty three, when we when iHeart and Hundai told us that they were going to get you to perform.
Speaker 4: Writer really thought he was being pranked.
Speaker 1: Writer, do you want to do you want to talk about where your fandom for Lisa first started?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean I think it was. It was just the perfect timing. So Tales came out in ninety five, right.
Speaker 4: Yes, oh my gosh, you know.
Speaker 2: Okay, So the end of that year is when I got my driver's license and that album just became the altim I mean, especially back then when you only could have like one CD and at a time, it was like my driving album. So my entire like all of nineteen ninety six was you know, me sixteen years old, driving everywhere up and down the state of California, listening to Tails non stop. And so yeah, so it's so and it's like the best driving music. But it's also like so many great lyars, which of course I've always been a lyrics guy, and I just like I started listening back to it the last few days and I was like, oh my god, I know every word of this and I have so many great memories associated with it. It's such like a great driving album. So that was like, really, it just like got into my soul.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, I love that. That makes me feel so happy. Yeah, I love that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, his connection to your music should shock absolutely no one who listens to this podcast. Because Lisa has a degree in comparative literature from Brown She also used to be in a band called nine Stories, named after a JD.
Speaker 4: Salinger book. So to put you on the spot, Lisa, what is your favorite book? Oh, my gosh, my favorite book. I've got so many books that I read. I'm looking over there. I've got I read hundreds of hundreds of books. I really like, well, I did, I do and did love Nine Stories, the book of short stories by JD. Salingers. I named my band after them. And I really am like looking at my library app to see all the books that I've read.
Speaker 2: Do you have any?
Speaker 4: I mean, author wise, I've been really into Elizabeth Stroud lately Stroud or Stroud see even my brain. It's hard to always name like a favorite. That's just not possible. But wait a minute, writer, do you have the library app? No? I didn't know listen because you have one for movies?
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh you do do?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Letter most is like the best way to organize what movies you've watched and rating them and whatnot. But I haven't found the book app that I can use like good Reads, I just don't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I don't use Goodreads either because it's under my husband's name and so all the books I read go under his account on Amazon, and then I can't really I don't really feel like making comments anyway. Elizabeth Strout has written a bunch of books that I'm sort of obsessed with, including when they made a TV show about called Olive Kittridge, which is really great. It was a great TV Well, I think I watched the show, but I read the books. I read for sure, and I love them. But oh my gosh, there's so many books and authors David Sadaris. Oh, I love David Sadaris books. I mean those are those are totally different types of books. Yep. Yeah, there's a graphic novel by and also my brain I can't remember names, which is really bad, you guys, I'm the exact same very bad people that I love. Ros Chast the cartoonist, wrote a book called Uh Can't We talk about something more pleasant? And it's very like bitter, sweet, funny but sad, about taking care of her elder parents, and it's elderly parents and it's a graphic novel because she's a cartoonist. That's those are really good books. I've also weirdly, I found a book underneath No, I didn't. I didn't find it underneath the sofa. It looks like something I would find underneath the sofa. I asked my friend Rich, who I did a bunch of records with Rich Jack's We made a bunch of records together, and I was he likes to read, and so I said, oh, can I borrow a book? Cause I like to read an actual book, not like an app And so he's like, oh, you could read read this, And he handed me this book I could show. I have a bunch of them back there. But he handed me this book that looks like you'd find under like somebody's sofa at like a timeshare at the Jersey Shore that somebody's uncle left, like the most boring looking cover you ever saw, terrible like thick paperback. And it's historic fiction. And I was like, this is going to be terrible. Why did he give this to me? And I started reading and I'm obsessed. It's Ken Follett and he's done like a trilogy trilogies of books about like the Renaissance and the medieval times. And but you go down these like these great plots about all these people and it happens to be historic fiction. And he's sent a couple of different trilogies, and then he wrote a prequel to one of them, and he just wrote a new follow up, so they're really like thick.
Speaker 1: Weirdly, he wrote the Pillars of the Earth, right, yes, exactly, Okay, you just get like totally sucked in, right, Yes, I don't know if you get sucked.
Speaker 4: In but I do.
Speaker 1: I also love to read, so and that question putting me on the spot with my favorite book.
Speaker 4: I would have any books you can recommend it. I actually just wrote a whole long list of Alice Monroe books that I need to read, and then some I can't remember, and I start reading them and I'm like, gosh, this feels really familiar, and then I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, I've already read this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I read mine back here. But this is these are all wizards and sorcery and dragons fantasy. If you're not into that kind of stuff, then none of those are going to be good for.
Speaker 4: I'm not good with sorcery. I don't mind science fiction when it's Twilight Zony, like strange, something strange is happening, right, like a family's locked on a spaceship and they don't know if and then like are they actually anyway? I'm not going to ruin the plot on that, but I don't. I'm not into wizards and stuff enough.
Speaker 2: They're also like all nine hundred pages will which is such a good ef It.
Speaker 3: Should be sixteen seventeen books long, one thousand pages each night. By the way, in my head, the library app you just keep it on when you're reading an occasion just goes really that's all. No, I'm just saying that's.
Speaker 4: Oh no, no, yeah, I used to love this. Anyway. This is not a list, is not a book book podcast. Anyway, there's this other book I like. I just there's so many books. I'm like, oh gosh, I forgot to tell you about this one or that one. But so these are some of my favorites, not my favorite, not like my only favorites. Yeah, you know we didn't give a song. You can't TV show, No you can't, you can't. Well, will can pick match.
Speaker 3: I can pick mash is my favorite. I think I have a favorite song really yeah, the masch My song No I Will by Pink Floyd is my favorite song of all.
Speaker 4: It's a really good song, one of.
Speaker 3: The Yeah, it's like the best song ever written in my opinion. That's just one of my favorites.
Speaker 4: It's really good. It really gets you. But there's so many songs that get you like that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Well, we are basically talking to you after like forty eight hours after the thirtieth anniversary of Stay speaking of truly perfect songs, and that anniversary made you the first independent artist to hit number one on Billboard's Hot one hundred.
Speaker 4: I'm sure this was a label.
Speaker 3: That's yes, amazing.
Speaker 4: It's very excit. I can't believe thirty years have gone by. I've gotten a lot of people on social media just like, oh my gosh, you know, as it relates to them, like weird, what thirty years because it doesn't seem that far ago, you know, in some ways, but it is. It's such a long time ago, and I know, it's really weird. And I was hanging out with my friend who I was in a band with all through college, So we started in a band in nineteen eighty six together, and I was making music before that. And some of the songs like on Tales I wrote during college, they were written in like eighty eight or like eighty seven, eighty eight, and it's so strange. They're just so much older even than Stay. But the song's Stay has meant so much to me. I mean, it's kind of a weird song because there's no chorus, really, and it was also a lot more personal than a lot of the other songs that I had written at that point, Like I tried to my lyrics were shrouded in mystery, but for me, that one was actually like I could tell my well, he's not my ex boyfriend from a very long time ago, Juan Patino. He knows that it was like inspired by like arguments we were having. We were also working together making the records. We co produced the records, and so it was more personal. It does veer off in a lot of weird directions, but it became a good song to be one of my most successful songs because it was so weird, and it gave me that freedom to just sort of go with my gut and do what I feel like I need to do when I'm trying to write songs, because sometimes you can try, you know, when something fits more in a box, you feel like you have to go back to that box over and over again to recreate that in order to have some kind of success.
Speaker 1: I don't know, well, when the song first started having all of its success, were you able to enjoy it while it was happening, Like, what are some of your most salient memories of around that time?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I was lucky that the aforementioned Juan Bettino was working with me because he's a very nostalgic person to the point where he knows we better have nostalgic moments in the moment so that when we look back, we can have those nostalgic moments, you know, like capturing moments. So having somebody who recognized the specialness of it happening, we were able to because it was also a whirlwind. You know, when you become you're part of a successful thing. You're busy doing that thing. You were having your hair done, you were doing those you're memorizing your lines, you're playing concerts, you're actually doing the thing. And I was working on my next record. I was already a musician for years and years and years, so I was following up on that and all the business stuff that comes with it. And like the people who were interested in wanting to sign me, now they'd gotten more serious, and all those people were really setting more specific meetings with their upper the people who were in charge of them, and my attorneys and my band, and we were touring to support the single and looking forward to getting a record deal, because at that time, getting a record deal was like the thing that you get in order to like know that that's your job. And as much as I did have a couple of people around me. You thought I had changed so much, you know, I changed the sixth I was on TV because it changed changes you. I was like, no, God, this is like, finally, this is happening. I've been working towards this, and it's been little, step by step by step for years and years. But in the middle of that, I do have such good friends from when I was little, Like you know, some of my newer friends are like high school friends, like I have friends. I have one best friend I've had since I was born, were our moms were pregnant and friends. My friend who I celebrated her birthday yesterday, we were best friends since between second and third grade. So I've had so many different friends and people who are part of my life as friends. Some of them are people I worked with who are now who are also my friends. Some people are my friends who I ended up working with, like a friend of mine who ended up giving me voice lessons for years. So I had a lot of people in it with me, you know, sort of anchor you yeah, And I'm just like be I'm a very anchored person, and I in fact need to celebrate more and be more like floating up into the breed. The breeze and like not paying attention. But I did have a lot of friends that I could celebraterate with and pay attention to what was going on at the time and call my mom and be like, oh my gosh, this is happening. That being said, late lately, especially with this thirtieth anniversary, I do have either fans or friends. And also with all the social media, there's a lot more interaction put interaction emails, social media, a lot of people reminding me of times that I might have met them or did things with them, or things that we did, or seeing pictures of things that I just I can't remember. I mean I remember kind of, but like there are so many memories to remember. It was such as it's been a very dense time that time period. But I did enjoy it. It was it was really exciting and of course at the same time, you know, as the as a young artist, as a young I was like in my I was like twenty six, I'd been doing it seriously for years. I was a couple of years out of college or actually when when Stay went on the charts, I graduated in ninety and that was on the charts in ninety five, but they signed, you know, they put it on the soundtrack in ninety three. The song was written in ninety one or two. But it's just there's always so much happening it's hard to take it all in.
Speaker 1: Well, speaking of that, we know that you had been friends with Ethan Hawk, who gave it to Ben Stiller for Reality Bites. When did you learn that it was going to be the song for the end credits.
Speaker 4: I didn't really know it was the song for the end credits until I was in the movie. I got a call when I was working at I was like doing a temp job. I think at Ernst and Young. I may be confusing it with another like financially large company. I was doing a lot of temp work in New York. I'd gone back to school to site to grad school and psychology at NYU, but soon thereafter realized I needed to do sort of more random, noncommittal jobs while I was really focusing on being a musician full time. But temp jobs were great because I could type pretty fast, and they let me use their Xerox machines to make flyers for my band, and it got me out of bed at a normal hour. But anyway, I remember telling the bosses. I had gotten a call from Ron Fair, who was the record executive at RCA, telling me that. And I had met Ron Fair because somebody who worked under him at EMI Records while I was in college wanted to sign us to their label in college, and Ron Fair was like, no, not today. And my friend who worked at EMI was fired and we were not signed to EMI. But anyway, so I had already known this executive, but he called me and we were so excited. He said that the song was going to be on the soundtrack, which I was excited about, but I didn't know where it was in the movie until the movie came out. We went to a very like low key movie premiere. It wasn't one of these big Hollywood premiers. It was like low key, little red carpet, you know, because there were a lot of real authentic key people involved, like Ethan and Ben Stiller and went on writer and Steve Zah and Jenny Garoffalo and all these folks who are a little bit more like you know, not yeah and so but anyway, so we went to the premiere and we were sitting in the seats watching the movie, and the song never came on. You're like, oh no, and I was like, I'm so embarrassed. Luckily it wasn't like I said, a huge premiere with my friends and family. Was like some friends, and I was just like almost sweating. I could feel my heart beating. I was like, this is so embarrassing. Maybe it was there and I didn't hear it, like it was one of those songs you barely hear somebody's call coming from another room while they're having a loud conversation in the bathroom at the bar. And then finally at the end and weirdly, people stuck around like all of a sudden, I heard you Doo doo, and I was like, it was like the second end credit. So it was good because they played the entire song, but it was like, you know, I could imagine my mom being in the theater and being like everyone's day the song. So nervous. I was like, oh my gosh, it's not this is one of those things where it's like cutting room floor, this is the cutting room floor. But it was there, and it was really exciting to hear it over the loud speakers and to be a part of it, you.
Speaker 3: Know, And they did play the whole song, which is you almost never get an entire song I know, which.
Speaker 4: Is also now kind of a sad thing because on Netflix, you know, it goes boom right to the next movie, right when.
Speaker 2: The shrinks down to the corner, and you're like, wait.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm like, well, I think I still yet residuals for that song, even though you don't always hear it anymore. And in a couple of times in music festivals they've played my music video at the beginning, which hopefully they will now because we just remastered the video. We got to work with Universal and there's Universal Music, and there's people who can like go back to old source material and fix because our video that was up my video for Stay was like I feel like it was like a copy of a copy of a video cassette that they threw up there, and we could never get the real quality. Everybody's always like, oh, I love your black dress. I'm like, it's not black, it's green, you know. I like your black glasses. I'm like their tortoise shell they're not black. But anyway, we were able to remaster the video so it's out like the newer version. It still looks and feels like itself, which was like a big philosophical conundrum, like does it feel like itself? Does it feel like itself? Even though it's like you know, they went in with a Q tip and like cleaned it up.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: That music video is unfor get a bowl. It was directed by Ethan Hawk. It was done in one take. What do you remember from shooting it? And how many times did you have to do it just to nail it?
Speaker 4: I did it, I don't. I don't remember the exact number. This is where I would ask Kawan Patina, like how many times? She'd be like we shot it nine times? Or hey, he would remember how many times? I also remember I remember the miracle bra. I mean, is that what's called? Course? I think I want a wonder bra. That was like my big push up, even though I still look like tiny. It was I think I was wearing a wonderbra. I was wearing a Betsy Johnson dress that Betsy Johnson herself hemmed for me. She helped me make it that really short. All my dresses I liked wearing very very short as possible powerful you know, superpower rock musician. Look Also for shorter ladies, A short dress just makes you look tall. Yeah, it looks like a child's shirt when you hang it in the closet, but in reality it's an entire dress. It's like three feet long total. And then also I remember the lipstick. I wore the maclip stick for the first time, and Spice was the lippencil. Everybody was very bad and I killed my lips because it was Matt lipstick and my lips were like dead. After that, I did a middle part, which was weird for me, which is now very hip, but I did not wear middle part back then. I was more of a side party person. But we did the middle part. But I also remember I was very headstrong because Ethan had this great idea and he'd hired this amazing DP named Tom Richmond, who passed over the last couple of years, which was sad. Tom had shot the movie Midnight Clear that Ethan worked on, which was this gorgeous movie, and he had hired this like real film DP to shoot it. And Ethan had already shown me in his apartment like months earlier, like what that concept was, and we had mapped it all out in this place, so we knew what we were doing. But I was really headstrong in the fact that I'm like, I not only I am, I have a band. I'm like a real musician. I'm not like a pop singer. I have a band. I played guitar. I want them in the video. That was the reason I had a band name Nine Stories, Lisa lib and nine Stories, because if it was just Lisa Lobe and you saw me with the acoustic guitar at that time, you'd be like, oh, she's a folk singer. But I wasn't a folks singer. I like rock bands, and that's you know. I was more of a you know, Pink Floyd led Zeppelin, the Police, the Cure. I like some singer songwriters, but I really felt more attracted to my rock roots. And I was like, you have to be able to show this is like my first I'd made music videos before, like in college, but this was my first big deal like music video. I was like, we have to shoot the band and I have to play guitar. So he I forget the word, but he let me do that. We shot a bunch of takes with me and the band and me playing guitar, and when we went in to try to edit a few versions with that, it just totally it was an horrible idea didn't work at all. So I had to like sacrifice my vision, my vision and also my like identification as myself. I'm like there, I was. I've never let other than being like a musicals and stuff when I was in college and in high school sing without a guitar, I'm a guitar player and I'm a singer, and so it was very weird walking around like this, you know, other person. But it made a stronger vision, and it did it made a much better video, and it was fun to like mess around with later in life, you know, with funny TV commercials and other things. But it just really made it told the story so much better what he wanted to do. So we went with the artistic vision, which is very Ethan and very me in the end, even though being aware of like how I wanted to present myself, I was like, you know what, and I had to battle with that for years, Like, you know, no, I really am a musician. I'm not pretending to. Yeah, well, well.
Speaker 2: It's interesting to me, like looking back on the music of the nineties in general, but particularly like the female led singer songwriters of the nineties, you're really quite an anomaly in that you're not always angry and you know you don't have that like sort of Alanis Morse at edge or an a Franco like misery, and it's did you ever feel pressure? I mean, was there ever pressure from your label or to be more sort of like fitting the mold of like the rest.
Speaker 4: No, really, not really And also maybe they even did, and I didn't notice it because I'm so like focused on what I want to do and just that's the way I look at life. I'm like a person who I'm like Woody Allen of songwriting, like sort of overthinking and erotic and like what about this? Well, maybe they do. Let you know, I had my song do You Sleep, which was written earlier, which was all the different things like I'm so sad you know we're not together anymore, but but do you still think about me? But you know you ruin my life? You know, just like the back and forth that you actually go through in your mind. That's that's more my style, more sort of in my head with definitely anger and sadness and depression and all those things. But it's just not my style exactly to be like that, that's not my thing.
Speaker 3: Back taking it back to the beginning. Do you remember finding music in your life? Do you remember kind of the first music that you listened to that put you on this path.
Speaker 4: Or everything, everything from when I was a baby. I mean, my mom says that that she used to play my older brother classical music when she was pregnant with him, and he ended up being a classical pianist. And I was like, what did you play for me? She's like, well, we were in the car. We were listening to like something about a Stairway to Heaven, and you know, like we listened to what was on the radio. I listened to a lot of soft pop through the seventies, even the music like on the little Fisher Price little plastic record player. I would hear those songs and they would just break my heart. Some of them were so beautiful, those little music box songs and songs and synagogue and songs my dad would play on the piano, Raindrops keep Falling in your Head and old timey songs like Don't Fence Me In and It's Funny. I just I just made a record of all those old times. Not rain Drops, but some of the more old sort of forties and fifties, sixties, songs. I made a record with a band called The Hollow Trees that we've started putting out songs. But ever since I was little, music just really it struck me. I don't know, I mean really little, you know, before you even remember. I remember that. I remember a housekeeper vacuuming and she was playing Mamas and the Papas and kind of doing this groovy dance. And I was looking at the cover with the split I don't know, there's like a cover with all the band members and it's it's dye cut. It's split in half and you can switch the faces the top of their faces and faces depending on how you look at it. And I would just stare at that, and you know, Sergeant Pepper and Queen and all of it. I was just obsessed. And the clock radio, the clock radio, Bread and the Beg's and like, yeah, have you never been Mello? You know, Livy Neton John and everyone knows it's windy, like rock the Boat and old disco and R and B and just.
Speaker 3: Everything by the way, I mean, people like people are are starting to go back and listen to the Begi's and Mama's Soca and just kind of go, oh wow, we missed an entire genre of music. Oh my gosh, because the Beg's especially were given such hell for so long. Yeah, they disco, Oh they did all this. But when you actually look at the Beg's catalog, I mean they were it's amazing.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's that kind of music is coming back. It's so funny. Yeah, that's kind of the stuff that you were gravitating towards.
Speaker 4: Its great Well, it was just great melodies and great songs, and anyway, I'm obsessed. There's just so much music that you get when you're little. My parents had a lot of music playing in the house all the time. So do you still enjoy performing stay? Do you have to do little tricks or changes for yourself to keep it fresh and fun?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: I mean it's not an easy song to sing, so that's a little scary. I can always it's I play it with a kapo, which means I could make it lower and lower, but it doesn't. It doesn't doesn't necessarily make it easier. It's hard to sing. And there's a couple of lyrics where I'm like, oh, I got really off track on this, but but it's still I understand. It means something to somebody, and I do listen to a lot of I mean, I listen to a lot of music that it always doesn't make sense percent, but there's a whole thing about it, and I love the audience is really excited to hear it, and I appreciate what it's done for me in my career and the freedom and the freedom creative freedom, and the opportunities to travel and play with other people. It's just it means a lot to me, and it is pretty representative of the kind of songs I enjoy writing, so you know, it's something I enjoyed doing. I forgot to play it. The other night. I was playing a concert with Lyle love It. We did a whole tour and we were both on stage. He would play a song and talk and we'd talk to each other and I'd play a song, kind of like songwriters thing, and we got a call from the but there was no set list and we were just playing what we felt like playing. And about halfway through the tour, I got a call from the promoters saying people were a little disappointed that I hadn't played Stay, and I totally forgot. I forgot. Normally somebody might yell it out like I don't usually I stop. I don't play it on my when I do children's shows because I have a lot of family friendly music. I wasn't playing it in my children's show, and then I realized after the fact, parents were like, oh, why didn't you play that. I'm like, if somebody I even open it up to request, if somebody requests a grown up song, I'll play it. But I love playing it. I didn't not play it on purpose. I'm not mad at it. I'm very happy about it. I just got busy playing other songs. But it means so much to me, and I know it means a lot to other people. I know what some of my favorite pop songs mean to me, so if they don't play those songs, I'm really annoyed, and I think it's really irresponsible for those musics and musicians to ignore me and not play my favorite songs.
Speaker 2: When I say down, you know, do you ever change the lyrics?
Speaker 4: Not on purpose. I've had, unfortunately brain moments where I used to. Actually I remember doing a promotional tour with duezl Zappa, which was probably six or seven years after the song came out, and i'd been singing the song for years before it came out, and we were in some radio promo and it was early in the morning, and I would get halfway through the song and I I would have no idea what was happening, and then I would skip parts and I would just and then I had to like really think about it and realize the song was so weird that if I didn't think about it and just sung it, it would just lead me to the next part, to the next part, to the next part. And I couldn't leave out a verse, which I do sometimes in songs because it can't it's not possible. But yeah, sometimes I can't think about it too hard, Yeah, because I'll forget it. It's bad.
Speaker 1: Well, after Tales and Firecracker, you were also a part of the legendary Lilith Fair Tour in nineteen ninety seven, a show that helped define an entire generation of singer songwriters. So I know I'm about to read a lot of names, but I wanted to read the list of fellow mainstage artists. You shared the bill with Fiona Apple, Tracy Bonham, Meredith Brooks, The Cardigans, Mary Mary Chapin Carpenters. How do you say that, okay, Tracy Chapman, Paula Cole, Sean Colvin, Cheryl Crow, Indigo Girls, Emmy Lou Harris Jewel, Sarah McLachlan, Joan OSB and Suzanne Vega. That is like a quint essential mixtape for an entire genre.
Speaker 4: And more and way more. It was. It was incredible. You know. Sarah McLaughlin had had an idea that it was funny at first. When I heard about it, she invited me to play a show that was like the prequel year to the actual Lilith Fair. I got a you know, I got a note like, oh, Sarah McLaughlin wants to do this women's concert. Would you like to play? We're doing a couple to try it out. And I was like not really, Like I don't want to play a women's concert. I went to all girls school. I don't like separating myself out as a woman musician. I don't like being good for a girl. I'm just a musician. I don't like all my mentors of musicians aren't women. This is just not for me. And then they followed it up saying, well, it's it'll be you. Patti Smith, Sarah McLachlan, Amy Mann, Paula Cole. I was like, yes, I would love to do that concert with those other fellow musicians, like this is like, this is great, what a great you know, I might have mixed up, you know some There were a good handful of artists on each show that I got to be a part of, and I was like, this is great, Like of course I want to do this. And it took and it got my prejudice away because it made me realize, you know, I was glad when she needed to do what she was doing because they literally were telling us, you know, we'd hear from the radio departments at our major labels, Yeah, they can't play you because they're playing Sheryl Crow. Like literally they're playing one woman, so they can't play another woman. It was disgusting. Yeah, what does it even mean?
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, back in the day, it was like it was considered like almost like a a category that box. Yeah, which is really crazy to think about now, but it was just the way it was. And and so that ended up being a huge effect of her putting this festival together to prove, like you know, on the craft side, a bunch of women can make a bunch of money for somebody on the not craft side. It was just great, like all this great music. There were men, lots of men, but women lead singers, band leaders, and it was really fun. We ended up like it was almost like a summer camp. Like all the shows you got to go on. We would we literally would sit backstage and talk to each other and talk about our lives or our careers. And because like the Indigo girls were on there on the on the thing, they have great songs to sing along, like Closer to Find, and so they would ask us all to sing. And I'm terrible with lyrics, but we'd all sit back there and learn our lyrics and sing with each other and you know, connect. Actually, it was like we actually connected. Emmy Lou Harris sang on some of my songs. Well, on one of my songs it's on the lolith Fair recording. But I realized that and other festival situations are really important for camaraderie, for connecting with other musicians because music is a very it's a very loner thing. You know, you're in your room writing, you're with a group of people recording, maybe you're on tour with just your band or your band and maybe one other band. It's very it's very by yourself. So it was really cool to be in a place that was you know, you're celebrating who you are and with other people. And it reminded me of all girls school where there is just something. I'm rubbing my fingers together if you're just listening, but like there's just something. It's just a sick like it's something you can't put your finger on. It's like it's just a different atmosphere when it's a world led by women. Again, no offense to men. There were a lot of men there. They really enjoyed the concert. It was just the tone, the support of nature, the badassness of the variety of types of music. There was just something different there and I think it carried forward, you know, it affected everything else after.
Speaker 3: It was your girls school back East just curious, you.
Speaker 4: Know, it was in Texas. It was a prep school, which was very East coasty, but it was also had a finishing school element about it because it's Southern. So you know, learn to poortis sit properly on stage but also write crazy essays and really intense you know, lots of ap courses and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: So you have also been passionate about radio since basically high school. And now you have a show on Sirius XM called Nineties on nine.
Speaker 4: Which I love. Yeah, it's on the nineties on nine channel. Yes, what is it about? Stay Stay with Lisa Loebe. You know we decided back in the nineties, I would have been like, are you kidding me? I'm not using my song title the popular song. But now I'm like, oh, those are the people who are like, you're that girl with glasses. I know you. You know, I'll listen to you. You know, that's not something to run away from. That's just people's way of identifying your way to get.
Speaker 2: Get them in and then then they'll stay.
Speaker 4: Exactly. It's like, well that's the gateway meet of my songs. So yeah, it's called Stay with Lisa Loebe. And I've had a podcast up to now called Where They Are Now. It's a special interview segment that turned into a podcast that I believe is turning back into maybe just an interview segment where I talk to people about what they did in the nineties and what they're doing now. Because there are so many musicians out there who you know from the nineties who are still very active, just like what you guys are doing, I mean, very nineties centered, but people are very present as well. But I know, I was a DJ in high school for three years. I loved it so much. I was at the boys' school because they didn't have a radio station at our school. It was eighty eight point five Caroism and I had a show and I would I loved, you know, being a DJ and and so then. But back in that day, I decided all the music I played. It was not programmed. I just picked the music I wanted to play, and it ranged from all that stuff we're talking about, to local bands to sound effects of a man falling down the stairs and poster giveaways and all kinds of stuff. And I really enjoyed it. But it's fun, it's interesting, you know. I understand I'm connected with the nineties. You know, we're all connected with the nineties here.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: What is it about radio that you're just so passionate about? What do you love about it?
Speaker 4: I think what I like is the thing that's not exactly the radio. It's connecting with people. You know. It's like finding out My favorite things are to find out what people have to say about that time and sharing that, you know, Like, I also have a segment called your Story Your Song, where you can tell us your favorite song from the nineties and your memories of it. So, I don't know, it's just like a natural thing. And also what they want me to do the ninety the series XM Folks, they want me to talk about random stuff. And I've always been really into random things. I love that ever since I was a kid. I just like chotchkeys and things and talking about, you know, what happened on some TV show that I liked and some you know, nerding out on something, And that's really what they want me to talk about. I hear about it on social media every once in a while. They're like, why are you talking about that? Why are you saying all this stuff about yourself from the nineties. I'm like, because that's what they asked me to do, talking about my experience of being in the nineties, and also now that's what I do.
Speaker 2: So one of the reasons that you came up on this podcast and that we started talking about you a lot was because there was this podcast called sixty Songs That Define the Nineties. Do you know this I.
Speaker 4: Don't know, maybe I may have forgotten.
Speaker 2: It's really good.
Speaker 4: You should.
Speaker 2: You should listen to it. But it's this it's this journalist Rob Harvilla and he I mentioned it on this podcast and he because I was listening to it and just loving because he does like one song per episode where he just does a deep dive on the history of the band and the song and then his personal connection to it, and it's really great.
Speaker 4: That's good.
Speaker 2: I mentioned it and on the show and then he was like, Hey, do you want to come be a guest on it? And I said, yeah, sure, and he sent me a list of the songs that I could choose from that he was planning to do and Stay was on there, and I was like, I'm doing Stay. So we did the whole episode on Stay. And it's a really good episode. I'm only a small part of it. I'm like at the last ten minutes of it, but he has it's a really you should give it a.
Speaker 4: List because but was it on MPR. No, No, no, I think we're doing all this celebration of Stay. I'm going to find that. Yeah, we should post it.
Speaker 2: It's really great because he ends up having actually like a really interesting kind of personal tragedy associated with the song that is is quite moving and there's a lot of like a lot of our discussion was reassessing reality bites as a romantic comedy. Yeah, and you know we kind of dive into like was that ending the right ending?
Speaker 4: Where this sounds familiar. I'm going to go back and listen. This sounds really good. It's weird though, also being from in quotation marks from the nineties, because it's just like life, like when people are like, make sure you take a lot of pictures for your socials, You're like, I'm working, I'm literally on stage, not taking pictures of myself for socials. I'm literally talking to friends at a party at a premiere. I'm not taking pictures and then standing in a corner posting. Like in the nineties, I was working in on tour and still listening to songs from the eighties in the seventies, and I didn't always know what was popular in the nineties. You know, some things popped through to me, like space Hog or I Love Joan Osborne again. I got to know her more from even though she was a local musician when I was a local musician in New York. I was so busy playing gigs. I never ended up seeing her play. And then for Lili's Fairy started watching her and I was blown away. She's got this crazy voice. She's like unbelievable singer. And same with like Paula Cole and she produces all of her music and Cheryl Crow like. I knew some people's hits, but I didn't know their catalog and what they were like for real, you know. And and then there's other music I've never even heard before that I that I'll here on nineties stations. I just didn't know, you know, I know was great.
Speaker 3: Space Hog was one of those bands that was hugely underrated in the nineties. I love Wonders, Yeah, and they.
Speaker 4: Had a bunch of I don't know, in my brain they were like hugely like like they were like Radiohead.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Travis Travis the Band, Travis the Man who I love that album? Anyway. How did how did your transition from singing to acting happen? I was an actor way before I was a professional musician. It was just something I did growing up. I always studied acting. I was always in all the plays. I went away and studied acting in New York and in London. In high school, I did plays and things. All through college. We had a soap opera that Doug Lyman directed the theater. We went to college together. He had a soap opera that he put together that we all did in college. So it was the thing that I really wanted to do. I was often cast as a child because I am very young and in college young and petite, and music was the thing that was really taking off more. We were filling the houses, my friend and I who had a band. It was always packed houses getting gigs in New York City, and it was sort of like going step by step, whereas with acting, I had my head shots and this and that, and then I was like, I don't know if I want to be walking around New York City with my head shots. And in the meantime, I was so busy playing music. That was really the thing in the forefront. And then as soon as the music kind of was settling in, I've been going back to acting. You know again, acting a quote marks a lot of cameos and things like that. But that was my love. That was what I really wanted to do when I grew up, and I remember I write out of college. Right out of high school, I had taken a class with Mark Hirschfeld, the casting director, and I had taken a class with him in high school, and he was like, you know, come meet with me in LA. And I went and met with him in LA right after high school, like the between high school and college, and he's like, yeah, you should go to college. But you know, we've kept in touch and he's actually with that nineties show and a bunch of other stuff, and you know, it's just something I love doing. I just I'm that's just something I grew up doing and studied a lot. So that's so great. That's where it came from.
Speaker 2: Do you still do it? Do you still enjoy acting?
Speaker 3: Or I do?
Speaker 4: But it makes me nervous. It makes me nervous because I'm not good at memorizing. But like when I did this is a funny example, but when I did Fuller House, it was great because they actually gave me scenes. I played myself, but we talked it through. I had actual scenes with multiple lines and conversations, and and because you get to work on those sitcoms for a week, we actually the lines like a play. They actually get in you. And also It wasn't like some of the sitcoms I'd done in the nineties, which are super high energy, where you're like, hey, guys, what's up. Let it out, like, that's not my energy. I'm I have a low energy type of person, and even my high energy is more low. And also now I'm not as embarrassed being high energy if I need to be, like to fit whatever the genre is. But it's just it was really fun. It was like, oh my gosh, this reminds me of when I get to be in plays and you really you have time to know the lines and get to know it and really be in that person, in that character, which I love that. I love being in that conversation. But one day, I'll one day I'll return. I want to do like Broadway or or something that would be so cool, that would be amazing. But yeah, I was in an independent film and there and they're like I just I was like, oh, I'll get the lines, I'll be fine. And then I get on set and I'm like, all these people, this is their one job. They don't There are younger people, some of them don't have children or anything, and they know their lines and they've been doing this and they're really serious and they and I'm thinking, I'm serious, But I was doing seven million other things, my radio show and taking my kids to school and going to do this tour and end this album and this thing and that thing. And then I'm like on set and I'm like they're like, all right, let's go, and there's no rehearsal, and you just go and you're like, yeah, this is hard a lot but memorizing. But it's funny. I've been listening to Barbara Streisand's book and she talks about a lot of actors and really major serious actors that we all look up to. They've got lines written all over the place. Hey, they've got every Brandow method.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was just hiding notes all over But he actually didn't want to memorize. He wanted to like live in the moment.
Speaker 4: As much as that's excuse me, but it's true, Like you do want to live in the moment, but yeah, you know. And also, I was on the set of a particular sitcom years ago, very popular one, and the nanny shocked No, the nanny, the nanny, Oh that you're saying nanny. I was like, oh my god, I just finished watching this is us the nanny I was. I had my lines, but I was so nervous and it was so high energy and it was like barely any lines, but whatever. But many years later it was I'm not telling you which one, but literally every two lines, one of the main actress would be like line line and then there were cue cards and the whole thing was, wait, I've been avoiding doing this because I was nervous about learning my lines, and this was this was an option. It's not really an option if you're not, like, you know, years into a sit combat, right, I.
Speaker 3: Mean voice voiceover, So there's the best.
Speaker 4: I love doing voiceover.
Speaker 3: I love so voiceover. I love. That's like my favorite thing.
Speaker 4: Me too, because you're like there with your studio and you're just doing your thing. I love it too. But I mean, do you have trouble learning your lines? I don't do act. I don't act anymore, so I know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been a while since I don't have trouble. I've had to try, you know, I've I've been a voiceover actor for twenty years now, so it's so different. I don't have to worry about it.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 2: It's a muscle that you get back pretty quickly.
Speaker 4: I need to get it. Maybe you'll help me, you can help. I need to practice before it's time. Yeah, also practicing like I did remember on the thing I felt most comfortable doing. More recently, I heard one actres saying, it just takes me a certain number of minutes per page, and it just it is what it is. Yeah, Like I'm working on writing a book right now. Like the process is what it is. It's not like, oh, I'm not a soap opera actor. I was talking to a friend of mine who's a soap opera actor and they literally, like.
Speaker 3: The gay page, no time, but if you.
Speaker 4: Never did that. But like, I need to practice that. I need to practice memorizing things. You mentioned your kids. Do you have You have two kids? I have two kids. Yeah. How old are they? Eleven and fourteen? Oh my gosh, yeah, fifth grade? And one of them is home sick today. Oh I don't think he's sick.
Speaker 1: Well, I have two questions for you then, regarding that, how do you find time to do.
Speaker 4: All of the things that you do? I have two kids as well.
Speaker 1: I do a fraction of the things you do, but it's still a lot of things. And I feel like every moment of my day, every single day, is scheduled out.
Speaker 4: How do you find the time? Yeah, it is, I don't know. I'm good at compartmentalizing. I'm trying to find more childcare, actually child supervision I call it, because they're literally sometimes childcare for our kids. Any of you would like to do it. Come over, order sushi from sushi, stop and watch a movie and just be a person in the house. Make sure you go to bed around nine o'clock.
Speaker 3: That's a job.
Speaker 4: It's really really hard. And when they're playing video games it pays twenty five dollars an hour.
Speaker 3: You can eat a book.
Speaker 4: You can just read a book, eat food, maybe take a walk with them to man cheese or something. That's it exactly what we doantly. So it's hard. It's really hard, and I keep trying to do less because there's lots of things I want to do and I want to do them well and I want to do them deeply.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: I mentioned I'm trying to work on a book, which I shouldn't be even saying until it's done. But I finally was like, I'm hiring a coach, not to write with me, not to write for me literally like a trainer. Like I know, I've been working out doing strength training since I was in high school. I know I could teach you your full workout in seven different ways to do tricep, you know, kickbacks or whatever. But I prefer to meet with my trainer because I need a babysitter. I need to know that I have a time and a place to do it. So literally, my coaching session I just had, we met up. We talked about a couple of things. We put ourselves on mute and silence and no screens, and I sat and wrote for forty minutes, and then we checked back in. I read her what I wrote. She was encouraging, you know, also encouraging, like keeping you from overthinking everything. But but like I don't know, I'm always looking. I'm trying to I always try to lose my manager or my team if I the people that I work with, my housekeeper. Thank God for my housekeeper. He's been working with me for like thirty years. He's my main person in my life. But like just trying my best to do all the things. I know. I just got a text from one of the moms asking if I was going to be chairman of Lost and Found next year again for the like second or third year, and I'm like, I love doing Lost and Found, like literally looking at name tags and putting things away. I don't think I can do the Chairman next year. I've been doing it, but I've been on tour and I haven't been getting those sweatshirts back to those kids.
Speaker 3: Get to kids stuff. If if nobody claims.
Speaker 4: We donate it, you donate it. We don't know. But yeah, but anybody can keep it. I mean, anybody can go look at this stuff and be like eh. But but anyway, I don't know. It's hard. It's hard and a lot of like being introspective and trying to take a step back and saying, like, what is my priority? You know today, my priority actually is to sit here and watch This is Us and eat popcorn quietly in the house because nobody is in the house. My vacation is that hour. My priority is to work for three hours while the kids are playing with their friends on a weekend. I don't know. I'm trying to figure it out. I have a list of things that are the most important, like sleep, learn, you know, whatever my own personal self care things are. But then also the kids come first. Family comes first. I mean, what do you do? How do you do and hair? Yeah, Micha, Well when.
Speaker 2: Do you find are are you still writing songs? I'm assuming you're still writing? So when does that happen? Is that like a late night along with your guitar or is that like something you have to set aside time for and say I'm going to write a song.
Speaker 4: Okay, both I capture songs when I have ideas or parts of songs, and then often I have to collaborate with people to make myself sit down, just like a trainer, sit down and collaborate to get the thing done. But talking about voiceovers, I just did a collaboration with Debbie darry Berry, who's a great voiceover artist, an actor. She's Jimmy Neutron and she's doing music. She started actually with music and now she's back to doing music and she's like, oh, you want to write a song. And so when people ask me, you know, we sat and we wrote this song. It's very cool. It's about compost but it's really catchy song. But you know, you just get sucked in and you do these things and you make time and you things take longer than they should sometimes and I don't know. I don't I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I'm just glad to know that's that's a real answer, and I'm glad to know there isn't an answer, because that's always how I feel too. I'm like, I really it changes week to week and month to month, depending on what's going on.
Speaker 4: Because and like your son's home sick from school, You're like, Okay, last time he was home when I was trying to work with my writing coach, totally messed up the whole hour. I love my son so much and I love spending time with him, but it changes your workflow, It changes everything. You have to be so intentional all the time. And also I hate that phrase, but like give yourself grace, like doing your best. I know it's true. Like you're like, you know what, you're tired, take a nap, bewake, like drink a really fun Lacroix coconut. I feel like you're at the beach, like I don't know, yeh, ask for help? Yes, Like like you know, look at your life all the time and say, what do I like doing? What am I getting paid to do? You know, what do I want to do when I grow up. Where do I want to go? Oh? I don't know. Stay healthy, do your basic exercises in your eating and drinking foods that you like.
Speaker 1: Do either of your kids show any interest in music or acting?
Speaker 4: I think I saw my daughter do some acting. She doesn't act like she shows any interest in it. But you know, And it's funny in the world now, if your kid's in eighth grade and they haven't become a professional you know whatever, you know, baseball player or actor or musician, they are too late. But you know, a lot of us didn't even start playing instruments until we were, like in high school. I have a feeling there's a lot of things like that in the future. My daughter does play ukulele and she sings in her room, but I've heard her sing it. She's got a beautiful voice. She's also a poet. So I wonder where being a really good writer and a good singer wow might lead to At some point, I would, you know, there's no pressure, but I do. And with my son, they both love music and know a lot about music, and I just hope they continue to enjoy it and branch out with their interests, you know. I love that done.
Speaker 1: You're so prolific with kids music and books, and your album Feel What You Feel even won a Grammy for Best Children's Album in twenty eighteen. It has such an amazing message. What is it that makes you so creative when writing for and helping a younger demographic?
Speaker 4: I think, well, one, I started collaborating a lot, and when you're working with other people, ideas can really gel. And also you can capture ideas that you didn't even know were interesting. Sometimes you're like, oh, that's not important, and that actually it's funny. On my most recent grown up record, A Simple Trick to Happiness was affected by my children's music, because when you collaborate with other people and when you're talking to parents outside of school and stuff, somebody says something to somebody else. You say something to somebody just like we're talking and you're like, oh my gosh, I never thought about that. Like to me, it's just like whatever, it's something I think about all the time. Or you might say something to me and I'm like, wait, what, it's mind blowing. So I try to capture those messages in songs somehow, and I did that for my grown Up record. But that was like the kids' music. It's a freeing kind of It can be a lazy genre, like people can be like, oh, you can say anything, it's kids music, or it's a musical whatever. You could do anything. But on the other hand, you can also try to craft things that you really can be more creative and open minded when you're writing, and it's a fun place to mess around with. Genres like step like Feel What you Feel had a lot of influence from Free to Be You and Me, which is from the seventies. My Camp Lisa record, which was an earlier record, was really influenced by a lot of soft pop from the seventies and bread and lots of harmonies, and we had a lot of guests and stuff. So it's just a very freeing genre and it's really fun. You can get really sad, you can get very have storytellings, you can be silly all in one record. And I like that's that's as a person who likes to make stuff that's so fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So one final question, it's a practice. We found ourselves wondering a lot as we watched back the episodes we taped thirty years ago. But watching the incredible music video for Stay, which has now been updated for the times. When you see that Lisa Lobe about to have her life changed forever, what would you want to tell her?
Speaker 4: Now? Wow, I haven't thought about that, you know, I probably I would probably say stick with your guns, you know, like at that time we were talking about Lilith Fair. But even still just the general state of feminism, you just get a general feeling that what you have to say is bothering somebody or annoying or pushy or and I felt that a lot as a young artist, but I had been doing it for so many years, ever since I was in high school. I was recording my own music, like I knew what I wanted, I knew what I wanted to hear. Sometimes it was scary to collaborate with others because I felt like they were going to try to take over, or they wouldn't take me seriously, meaning like they wouldn't listen to me, not take me seriously like I'm so important, but just like literally collaborate on an even basis. So I would say, like, be yourself, you know, don't which I did, But it was still this feeling of holding back always always if we do that as women, anyway, like always feeling like you might ruffle someone's feathers, you might say something that will hit them in the wrong way. Growing up both at the girls' school, Like the proper way to act is that you respect others, but also the values of my family. Growing up, you respect others, but it can cross the line to where you're not respecting yourself and you're not speaking. You know, there's no dream too big, and there's no there's no idea that's stupid. Really, like you always fight for what you want and then also at the same time, don't be afraid to collaborate. It took me a really long time to really feel the comfort that I feel in collaboration. There's so many things that I've broken out of my anxiety or fear or depression for doing because I'm just trying. Like even the acting thing we're talking about, like it's scary to memorize stuff, Well, great, tell the makeup artist or tell the person on the set, like I'm scared. I realized there's millions of actors over there, like sitting going over their lines over and over and over and over again. It's not embarrassing, it's just being a person doing a job. Everybody does things in different ways. Everybody, you know. I said it in my song, which was another top Footy hit, my song I Do. It was kind of like a really straightforward thing to say, but I meant it like everybody feels this way sometimes, you know, like it's okay to be a human, so it's so collaborating asking for help but also being yourself one hundred percent fully, don't be scared of that, And I did. I am excited and proud I have accomplished a lot, and at the same time, there's so much more that I could have, should have would have done if I weren't scared, you know, to do it. Or we're having this slight feeling of anxiety or a large feeling of anxiety, you know, overshadowed by a busy life. You know, I think we have our whole world in front of us, like do everything. You know.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm so glad that some of those feelings have passed for you and now you're just saying yes to all of the things that are going to bring you joy because we are all benefiting from them and we're all getting to enjoy that. So thank you for that. Thank you for being here with us today. We have just every opportunity we've had to be around you, We've enjoyed you more and more, and we're just grateful that you've spent any of your time with us.
Speaker 4: So thank you so much. Well, you guys are so sweet to have me on and I appreciate what you do and writer. Thank you for all the very kind words that means a lot to me of course, and wish me luck memorizing things for the future.
Speaker 1: We'll help you anywhere we can. Okay, awesome, Thank you so much. Lisa, thank you talking to you.
Speaker 4: She's so cool.
Speaker 2: She's so coolah, oh my god. I just love like how prolific she is, not only as a songwriter, but in like every aspect of her life. And I just love that she's pretty much like the ideal version of Lisa Lobe in my mind. Yeah, like the Lisa Lobe that I kind of wished I like could meet in a coffee shop when I was sixteen, and like talk to is exactly who she is.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: We would sit and talk books and we would go into a million different pathways. We talk music, we talk movies. I just like know, oh yeah, this is this is my type of person. And it's so cool how that happens, You know, when you're attracted to somebody's art just whatever they do, and then you actually get to see behind the curtain and you're like, oh, yeah, there's a reason we connected through your heart is that you were expressing yourself and that wasn't just yeah, you.
Speaker 1: Were expressing yourself so well it was perceived the right way.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, and like this connection speaks to you and you and your language.
Speaker 3: Essentially, she's your real life perse girl.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's what it is. Had you found Lisa Loeb's purse back in the day, she wanted to spoken, right to write or strong?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's so funny.
Speaker 4: That is funny. You're right.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you all for joining us for this episode of Pod Meets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram pod Meets World Show. You can send us your emails pod meets World Show at gmail dot com.
Speaker 4: And we've got merch.
Speaker 3: You say, I only merch what I want.
Speaker 4: To Pod meets the World Show.
Speaker 3: That was good, good, no going, Yeah, I'll stay.
Speaker 4: Thanks Podmeets Worldshow dot com writer send us out. We love you all. Pod dismissed.
Speaker 2: Pod Meets World is an iHeart podcast producer hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfordell and Writer Strong. Executive producers Jensen Carp and Amy Sugarman Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Taras Subas producer, Maddi Moore, engineer and boy Mets World Superman Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon. Follow us on Instagram at Podmets World Show or email us at podmetsworldshowat gmail dot com