Speaker 1: Also media. Hey everybody, Robert Evans here, and I wanted to let you know this is a compilation episode. So every episode of the week that just happened is here in one convenient and with somewhat less ads package for you to listen to in a long stretch if you want. If you've been listening to the episodes every day this week, there's going to be nothing new here for you, but you can make your own decisions.
Speaker 2: Welcome to it could happen here, a show about things falling apart. We are back from our little break, and today I'm joined with Robert Evans to discuss fascism.
Speaker 1: I guess, yeah, yeah, I'm here. We're talking fascism. Listeners, excuse me. I have a Citus infection. So that's why it sound this way.
Speaker 2: Oh that's why you sound like that. Uh huh.
Speaker 3: That sucks life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, it might not suck as much as what I had to do last week, which is watch this six part documentary about the twenty twenty five for Trump election campaign. God well, the art of the surge.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Overall, it was actually pretty boring. They were obviously trying to edit it like a succession episode. Oh my god, really obnoxious. There is some insight into like the inner workings of the Trump team, like watching him and his team react to the Kamala Harris DNC speech and like workshop counter messaging was actually interesting, and the doc does show kind of Musk's influence steadily ramping up starting in July. The only time you see Trump advance together is after Trump's ABC debate, when JD like preps him for the Spin room. That's the only time, Wow, we see them in a act.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, that makes sense, Like I wouldn't want to be in a room with JD vans more than I had to be, although the fact that he does want to be in a room with Musk is bafflt.
Speaker 2: Yes, and actually Musk and JD get along quite well in the interactions that are seeing in the documentary, Malania, Trump never appears once, not a single time.
Speaker 1: Well, it's good to know that they've they've managed to put together a functional throuble.
Speaker 2: Ooh, don't like that. Don't like that at all? First, buddy, the ikes. My biggest takeaway from this documentary is that it just showed how much his rallies are a religious experience for his supporters like deeply, deeply religious, especially the Butler Pennsylvania rallies, where everyone talks about it like they would like like a genuine like limit experience or religious experience. Right now this episode, I actually I want to focus on the rhetoric employed at these rallies in attempts to label Trump a fascists. There's been a lot of discussion on like Trump's authoritarian and dictatorial desires and tendencies and expressions of those fears in particular were not enough to persuade the majority of voters against Trump, let alone safe and Republican support towards Harris and we on this show have not talked much about the escalation of rhetoric used by Trump and his allies this campaign cycle, with the Biden administration's horrific border policies and the enabling of Israel's genocidal actions in Gaza drawing a great deal of our attention in the past few months. But now I do want to draw attention to the ethno nationalist framing that has become all too common, especially with the Democrats just complete submission to Trump and the GOP's distinct focus on immigration as the top issue facing America. So part of what I'm gonna do here is I've outlined a few clips and some quotes I'm trying. I tried to limit the clips because I know no one wants to hear Trump and these guys talk for too long, but I will place some And Robert, you've spent a lot of your time thinking about fascism in the past few years and reading about fascism, so I'm certainly curious on your thoughts on some of these clips and quotes. As we'll kind of go through like three specific rallies, mostly great and outline what type of rhetoric they are using and what it kind of points to historically. Now, one of the reoccurring phrases at Trump rallies this cycle was that the United States has become an occupied territory. Here's Trump invoking that language at a rally in Atlanta a week before the election.
Speaker 4: But it will soon be an occupied country no longer. November fifth, twenty twenty four, will be Liberation Day in America, and during day one, I will launch the largest deportation program in American history.
Speaker 5: We're going to get these criminals out.
Speaker 4: I will rescue every city in town that has been invaded and conquered.
Speaker 5: These towns have been conquered, you know, they have been invaded.
Speaker 4: And can you imagine, just as though a foreign enemy was invading, a military was invading.
Speaker 2: Okay, I will rescue every city in town that has been invaded and.
Speaker 6: Conquered, conquered.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just as though an enemy, a foreign enemy was invading.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that's I don't even know what to say about that. It's like that's textbook fascist shit, right, Like, I mean, among other things, ramping everyone up to justify, you know, at least the potential for violence against migrants. You know, it's it's self defense, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now, I like to focus first on the Madison Square Garden rally, certainly the Puerto Rico floating Island of garbage. Comments from the roast comedian got a lot of media attention, but what got less coverage was the much more historically worrying statements made by those within Trump's circle. Let's start with Deputy Chief of Staff Stephen Miller.
Speaker 7: America is for Americans and Americans only.
Speaker 2: So, Robert, does that phrase remind you of any other phrases that have been used over time?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, like one people, one vulc one Reich, Right, I guess, yeah. I mean again, like I don't even know what to say at this point, right, Like we're it's so obvious. When I started in the warning people about fascism game, you had to like explain a lot of history and then sort of like walk in. Here's how you know this is a sign post. I mean, when someone doesn't eighty eight this is what it means or whatever, and we're so far past that, like.
Speaker 2: Well, and and specifically this one invokes the Germany is for the Germans, which is ya a phrase that is banned in Germany now due to its use during the Nazi era.
Speaker 6: That gives us something to look forward to now.
Speaker 2: In a rant advocating for election denial in the case of Trump losing the election, Tucker Carlson referred to Kamala Harris as a Samoan Malaysian low IQ. This is just kind of baffling old school racism. Yeah, I honestly didn't expect this type of thing to have such a resurgence the past year.
Speaker 1: More esoteric than I expected.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's frankly odd.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 2: Tucker also spoke about how the elites are trying to replace the population and the culture and customs of this country, just clearly invoking the white nationalists a great replacement ideology that he kind of previously spread on his Fox show in.
Speaker 9: A country that's been taken over by a leadership class that actually despises them and their values and their history and their culture and their customs, really hates them to the point that it's trying to replace them.
Speaker 2: Very very clear stuff. And Don Junior invoked very similar rhetoric, saying that the government no longer puts Americans first and that the Democratic Party would rather quote replace Americans with people who will be reliable voters on glob Well, and again, this is types of stuff that we talked about in like twenty eighteen, twenty nineteen. It's like Laurens Southern YouTube videos.
Speaker 1: And like if there's one thing that dims are bad at, it's getting reliable voters.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yes, Like this is the type of stuff that was so that was much more niche. And then you had a few like four Chan guys start like doing a writing on Tucker's show, and now it's being used at disappoint the president's rallies.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, when Trump finally took the stage he mirrored Tucker's Kamala Harris IQ comments, saying everyone knows she's a very low IQ individual. Like usual, he called the press the enemy of the people. Uh huh, But he went on to describe the true enemy mastermining the fall of America the quote radical left machine that has taken control of the Democratic Party.
Speaker 4: It's just this amorphous group of people.
Speaker 3: But they're smart, and they're vicious, and we.
Speaker 4: Have to defeat them. And when I say the enemy from within, the other side goes crazy, becomes a sound maho.
Speaker 5: How can he say, no.
Speaker 4: They've done very bad things to this country. They are indeed the enemy from within.
Speaker 2: And I do find it interesting the way he describes them as like a morphous Yeah, it's not like a distinct sect. It's not like a fups of people. It's this like a MorphOS almost like like a like like ethereal force that can like inhabit people.
Speaker 1: You need that because, that, among other things, allows you to refocus the lens on anyone. Yeah, right, Like you need the opportunity to keep shifting because eventually, if you're just actually focusing on a real discrete group of human beings, you get rid of those people. You throw them in prison or whatever, and then you don't have an enemy anymore, and you always need that.
Speaker 2: And do you know what we need right.
Speaker 6: Now, Robert Products and Services.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we do need to go on a quick break, and then I'm going to come back to talk about Dluth, Georgia. So not good, great, all right, we are back. I'm gonna now turn to a turning point action event on October twenty third in Dluth, Georgia, which I actually just visited for the first time. I went ice skating in Deluth, Georgia, and to kind of get a sense of what this town. It's not even really a suburb of Atlanta, it's it's so far north as I was, isis skating there.
Speaker 3: I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 2: Like a Christian cult showed up and they had all their members also ice skated, because they were all wearing like the same outfits they hold, like very specific like headscarves. A few a few of like the more like youth pastory types, had like you know, like christ As King type puddies. But it definitely wasn't like a regular church. It was. It was more of some kind of like evangelical like cultish formation based on like the uniform clothing. So that's Deluth, Georgia.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, Charlie Kirk gave a fifteen minute speech which he closed with a spiritual appeal, saying, quote, you have a biblical obligation to engage in this election and to fight evil. The Democratic Party supports everything God hates unquote. Kirk then called this election a quote unquote spiritual battle and in and finally he said, quote, this is a Christian state. I want to see that continue. So none of this is like New Right. This is kind of at this point bog standard Christian nationalism. But this is a rally of about ten thousand people. It's not an official Trump rally. It is a turning point action rally that Trump did speak at. But I like to hone in once again on Tucker Carlson's comments. Now, he called this the first speech he's ever given at a political rally. Now, both me and you saw Tucker speak at the RNC. I guess he kind of views the R and C is a little bit different from like a standard like kind of more like a campaign rally type event. But Tucker called Trump a triumph of the human spirit, Christ, a triumph of the will. You could say, yeah, yes, like, what's another word for the human spirit?
Speaker 6: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: But now I'm gonna play Actually, this is the lunge cliff we have just because it's so fascinating and I have a lot that kind of written on this already. I'm just gonna play this clip.
Speaker 9: There has to be a point at which Dad comes home.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right. Dad comes home and he's pissed.
Speaker 2: Dad is pissed.
Speaker 3: He's not vengeful.
Speaker 9: He loves his children, disobedient as they may be, he loves.
Speaker 3: Them because there's children. They live in his house.
Speaker 9: But he's very disappointed in their behavior and he's gonna have to let them know. He's gonna have to get to your room right now and think about what you did. And when Dad gets home, you know what he says. You've been a bad girl. You've been a bad little girl, and you're getting a vigorous spanking right now. And no, it's not gonna hurt me more than it hurts you.
Speaker 3: No, it's not. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 9: That's gonna hurt you a lot more than it hurts me.
Speaker 3: And you earned this.
Speaker 9: You're getting a vigorous spanking because you've been a bad girl.
Speaker 1: Well, that's just real sick and deranged. I mean you can tell he really gets off on spanking little girls.
Speaker 2: I mean, like beyond like Tucker is like shown depravity here. I also just find like the willingness of the audience just to eat this stuff up and like really enjoy it to like similarly be like both like fascinating and like a show of like a certain level of a depravement.
Speaker 1: Well, it's this, it's leaning into what has always been the core of like the most militant conservatism, which is the like strict Christian conservative parents rights people sure be like my children are my property, and also the right way to parents is like a dictator.
Speaker 2: I mean this is like the most like openly Freudian display of American fascism that I've ever seen before.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, oh yeah, It's amazing, this.
Speaker 2: Idea of like a harsh father whose love is replaced with fearful authority. It's really important that like America is framed as a bad girl. There's this like feminizing of the masses. Right, America is not like a bad little boy. A bad girl is like really important. Carlson's almost invoking like an incestuous like domination. Yeah, it's it's quite sick. And like I had to actually like like look up stuff on this because I'm like, I know Freud and a few others have like written about this type of thing before, and specifically Adorno has written about this in an essay called Freudian Theory and the Pattern of Fascist Propaganda that I'd like to read just a few brief quotes from.
Speaker 1: Oh I love some Adorno, Yes, please.
Speaker 2: Quote There is either no mention of love whatsoever between members, or it's expressed only in a sublimated and indirect way through the mediation of some religious image. In the love of whom the members unite and who's all embracing love they are supposed to imitate in their attitude towards each other. It seems significant that in today's society, with its artificially integrated fascist masses, reference to love is almost completely excluded. Hitler shunned the traditional role of the loving father and replaced it entirely by the negative one of threatening authority unquote. I'm going to pivot to Freud here, specifically his essay on group behavior and how individuals regressed become part of masses. He writes about how a leader of a cult can exploit psychological shortcuts in its followers to embody this like group ideal that governs their ego as a substitution quote, the leader of the group is the dreaded primal Father. The group still wishes to be governed by unrestricted force. It has an extreme passion for authority, It has a thirst for obedience. The primal Father is the group ideal. This is like so displayed what Tucker is doing like this is just exactly what it is. I mean, it reminds me of the other quote about how people seek out salvation in subjugation. And I'll leave just one more quote from Adorno here quote. Fascist agitation is centered in the idea of the leader, no matter whether he actually leads or is only the mandatory of group interests. Because only the psychological image of the leader is apt to reanimate the idea of the all powerful and threatening primal Father. The formation of the imagery of an omnipotent and unbridled father figure, by far transcending the individual father and therefore apt to be enlargened into a group ego, is the only way to promulgate the passive masochistic attitude to whoms one's will has to be surrendered, an attitude required of the fascist follower the more his political behavior becomes irreconcilable with his own rational interests as a private person, as well as those of the group or class to which he actually belongs. The followers reawakened irrationality is therefore quite rational from the leader's point of view. It necessarily has to be a conviction which is not based on perception and reasoning, but on an erotic tie. I'm sure someone more skilled than me could write like a whole dissertation just on Tucker's speech here, because like it invokes so many of these ideas and like without trying to this is always like subconscious on their part, Like they're pulling on these things like specifically, like like the passive masochistic attitude. It's like their submission to Trump is like this deep masochistic urge.
Speaker 1: There's another thing in there that I think is important, especially because I'm hearing a lot of people talking about like, well, once Trump pushes through his tariffs or does this or does that, the horrible negative consequences of this will like absolutely destroy the GOP right. That'll finally bring them down to me let them, you know, no, And one of the things that Dorino says there is that, like the leader doesn't even need to be bro and that's an underdiscussed aspect of psychology and fascist states. One of the one of the phenomenons within Nazi Germany was, you know, there were a number of Nazi policies, Hitler's policies that had serious negative effects on people in Germany. And one of the most common phrases that you would hear from them was if only Hitler knew, right, you know, you usually deployed when like you were dealing with a government agency that was headed by just like an absolute criminal that you know, Hitler had appointed that like, oh, well, Hitler doesn't know that the Gestapo are doing this, right, you know, he would stop this, he'd put a stop to this if he knew, he wouldn't let this happen.
Speaker 6: Right, That's what That's what Trump's believers.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that's what the American people writ large may never buy into Trump the way that the Germans bought into Hitler, but Trump's supporters are certainly already there.
Speaker 2: And this is something that Tucker saw in the audience when he started on this rant, he started repeating certain phrases because it got such a good reaction from the crowd. Like, this wasn't like planned, it was. It was him reading the crowd and realizing, oh, they really like this. I'm going to keep doing it, and specifically this. This is also how he closed his speech. And I don't believe this was this was planned. I believe this is because of the reaction that the crowd had previously. I'm going to play the very end of his speech where he basically endorses like a coup. If Harris actually wins.
Speaker 9: If they do all of that, they need to lose. And at the end of all of it, when they tell you they've won, no, you can look them straight in the face and say, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: Dad's home and he's pissed.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 2: They love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course, of course, all they have ever wanted is to be forced to be right, you know, and to the extent that reality disagrees with their beliefs, which it usually does, to be able to beat reality into place, and at least continue to trick themselves until they die, right, Like, that's all the fascists, I know, you know, the older people, many of whom raised me. That's what it really was about for them was never having to acknowledge the mistakes that they had made, the things that they had supported that didn't work out. Like it was a rage at the people who insisted on pointing out, Hey, you said this was going to happen, and the opposite happened. So that promise of like even if they win, Dad's going to come home and beat them into submission is deeply attractive.
Speaker 2: I mean, and even if it hurts your own like self interests, your only class interests, right, And it's like replacing all of the anguish you have as like an individual person and like replacing your own ego with the embodiment of this group ideal that is just someone else. Like this is why so many people have like dedicated their lives to Trump. Like you look at all these like like boomers and even some like gen X people at these Trump rallies who like Trump has like become like their personality. He's fully occupied their life. And yeah, like that's that's similar into the way that like occult leader has like how Freud wrote about it. Freud wrote all that stuff like in the nineteen twenties before before, like Hitler really rose to power, but he could like sense what was like coming in Germany. He could he could feel it. Yeah, And what I'm gonna feel right now is the products and services that support this podcast.
Speaker 6: Huzzah, all right.
Speaker 3: We are back.
Speaker 2: I like to close by talking about Aurora, Colorado.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: A tactic the Trump campaign consistently used this past year is to hone in on particular small communities as being taken over by immigrants who they would call like criminal migrants. The best known example of this is what happened in Springfield, Ohio, but this also happened in the Denver suburb Aurora, Colorado, after a video went viral showing men walking through an apartment complex holding firearms. A false claim then spread that a Venezuelan gang was forcibly taking over entire buildings in this city. At a Trump rally in Aurora on October eleventh, massive banners on both sides of the stage read Deport illegals now and end Migrant crime. On either side of the podium, there were large mugshots of Latino men with text that reads occupied America. Steven Miller, now Chief Advisor for Immigration Policy, takes the stage and says that the patriots gathered at this event can quote end the invasion and end the occupation by voting for Trump.
Speaker 7: Look at all these photos around me. Are these the kids you grew up with? Are these the neighbors you were raised with? Are these the neighbors that you want in your city? No, these are the criminal migrants the Kamala Harris brought into your community.
Speaker 2: Again, it's all it's all pretty brazen stuff.
Speaker 8: Yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean we call that brazen, but like that's just mainstream now. Yes, Like the fight to look at migrants as human beings and have any kind of sane justice, you know, for undocumented migrants in this country has has been completely botched.
Speaker 2: There's something about like the suburban neighborhood idea that is more like disturbing to me, Like like pointing to actual pictures of people being Are these the kids you grew up with?
Speaker 6: Yep?
Speaker 2: And like the fight to like preserve this nostalgic idea of like your childhood neighborhood, it's just so dark to me now. Invoking great replacement framing, Miller says that Kamala Harris was bringing these immigrants into your communities and that they are now taking over America.
Speaker 7: We don't need in this country homeless migrants, criminal migrants. We don't need migrants consuming and depleting our public resources, overwhelming our public schools, overwhelming our hospital, taking over our apartment buildings, and yes, murdering innocent Americans. You have a right to love the community you grew up in. You have a right to love your neighbors as they are. You have a right to want a country that is of by and for Americans and only Americans.
Speaker 2: Again with that, like, you have a right to love the community you grew up in. And then of course like Americans for Americans. And Miller later closed his speech by yelling, America will be reclaimed for Americans.
Speaker 6: Oh gosh, yep.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, these people suffered no consequences for what they did the last time, so they're going to keep pushing further. It's done nothing but work for them. No one has ever taught them any lesson that, like, hey, you've gone too far and now there are going to be negative consequences. That hasn't happened. So yeah, they're just going to keep getting more and more masked off. This is where they've wanted to be a miller, certainly from the beginning, and.
Speaker 2: They've used these past four years as prep work to build them to this point. And of course none of what they're saying is like real in terms of like you know, buildings being taken over the famously pro Harris liberal extremist group. The Aurora Police Department have continued to clarify that no apartment buildings have been taken over by any gangs, nor have tenants been paying gang members rent money. According to the police, none of the armed men seen in that viral video, who have all been since identified or arrested, none of them have any ties to Venezuelan gangs or organized crime. What happened was slumlords spread a false story about their apartment complex being taken over by a gang as a way to get out of doing repairs on the property, saying it was too dangerous to to the premises.
Speaker 6: Jesus.
Speaker 2: It was all like a fucking scam by slum lords so that they wouldn't have to fix their own apartment building. Denver seven found code enforcement and inspection records dating back to twenty twenty that show numerous violations prior to the influx of Venezuelan immigrants in the Denver metro area. The complex is now under new care, but a similar false tale of an apartment building in Chicago being taken over by immigrant gangs went viral in September due to the efforts of libs of TikTok and Elon Musk, with libs of TikTok saying, quote, first they did this in Aurora, Colorado, and now Chicago, which city will be next? This invasion happened on Kamala's watch unquote. The last thing I will mention here is all of the blood comments that Trump has been making the past year. In intervery last year, Trump said that immigrants are poisoning the blood of our country. It's so bad, and people are coming in with disease, people are coming in with every possible thing that you could have unquote. This clearly invoked like blood framing used by Hitler and Nazis, and like eugenics in general, and this is rhetoric that he's continuing to use for the present. In an interview last month, Trump so that immigrants are naturally murderers because quote it's in their genes. We've got a lot of bad genes in our country right now.
Speaker 1: I mean a lot of what this comes down to is that after World War Two, we really needed to execute a lot more people, you know, like you could have quashed the eugenics movement. We needed to go after a lot of people in the US. There were a lot of American fascists involved in eugenics, and after Treblinka and Auschwitz, we really just should have cleaned house, and instead we let all of these people get into think tanks.
Speaker 2: I'm going to close with a quote from The Atlantic here quote. When Trump was swaying to music at a surreal rally, he did so in front of a huge slogan, Trump was right about everything. This is the language borrow directly from Mussolini, the Italian fascist. Soon after the rally, the scholar Ruth ben Gate posted a photograph of a building in Mussolini's Italy displaying the slogan Mussolini is always right.
Speaker 6: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: And that reminded me of what you said earlier about how these people just always wanted to be right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, that's that's the that's the core of it.
Speaker 2: And similarly, like people can surrender their own individual ego and substitute it with this image of Trump right, Trump was right about everything.
Speaker 8: Yep.
Speaker 2: Anyway, this is this is kind of what I wanted to put together, just focusing on on all of these things, because I mean, as much as you know, foreign policy in America is always kind of fucked. Domestic policy, I think, does often get changed based on who is in office, and this is what we're going to be dealing with these four years, especially with Miller taking a larger and larger role inside the White House.
Speaker 1: We sure are, So everybody buckle up.
Speaker 5: Hello and welcome to AKAP and Here I am Andrew Sage. I run andrewsm Ova on YouTube. I'm joined by the one and.
Speaker 3: Only Garrison Davis. Hello.
Speaker 5: Hello, Hello, you don't sound p secuarly festive.
Speaker 2: You know, it's a it's been a long week. This is the last workday of election week when we're recording this. I just returned from my cabin in the woods, which I which I got to kind of watch the election unfold. So now I am back in the real world, not just hiding up in the mountains of Georgia. So it feels slightly worse, but we we carry on.
Speaker 5: As you mentioned a cabin in the woods, it actually reminds me of this movie that came out to Netflix a little while ago. If you've seen it, Leave the World.
Speaker 3: Behind, Yes, I I've seen that.
Speaker 5: Yes, it's it's pretty after You're in a cabin and all this was going on.
Speaker 2: Yes, Yes, we actually talked about that movie earlier on this on this show and some conspiracy theories around it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh, the Obama connection.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 2: You understand, you're already receiving the messages.
Speaker 3: You already know.
Speaker 5: Exactly. But we're not focused on.
Speaker 2: The US for this episode, thank goodness.
Speaker 5: Instead, we're going to be going back into the past and the present as well, because the struggle really doesn't end, and taking a look at the struggle of the Mapuche in Chile and Argentina. I'd actually mentioned them in my exploration of Latin American anarchisms that you know, they would need their own episode. So here we are taking a look at everything that they've been up to. And it's really thanks to the work of Fello anarchists m good Hawk and John Sevreno and there that I've been able to put together this illucidation of indigenous anarchist history. So the lands that now bear the titles of Chile and Argentina have long held the Mapuche people long before borders were drawn, long before the world learned to cage the wild. The land itself is considered while mapoo, and it's deeply entwined with the identity of the Mapuche people. While poo is of course not just a geographical term, is also a spiritual one. It's a tapestry of their histories and their dreams, and also their view of the world through a lens of reciprocity, because the Uche do acknowledge their kinship with the land, the rivers, the mountains, and that worldview that they hold and have traditionally held. Rather champions balance and harmony and respect for all forms of life, which is what has been fuel in their ongoing against occupation. So in a sense, the Mapuche struggle echoes an anarchist ethos of autonomy and mutual aid. But I wouldn't cau as far as to call them anarchists, you know, I mean, they have a very specific cultural and historical and spiritual context that is distinct from anarchists. Thought. Despite these similarities and overlaps in there so s, they will be exploring the history, people, and struggles of all Mapou that have shaped the Mapuche experience now. Ancient archaeological finds from tools to pottery have suggested that the Mapuche may have settled in present day southern Chile and Argentina as far back twenty five hundred to three thousand years ago. Genetic and linguistic research connects the Mapuche lineage to other indigenous groups across the Andes, meaning that their ancestors may have migrated down the western spin of South America in waves, adapt into the rainforests, coastlines, and valleys of what's now one Mapu. Historically and currently, the Mapuch spoken Mapudungun, and the language itself carries aspects of their cultural identity, others to be expected. Mapudungun is a polysynthetic language, meaning its words can be formed by combining smaller parts to reflect complex ideas. Mapuche itself combines Mapu meaning land and Chay meaning people. Sapuch lived on the border of the Incan Empire, meaning that they were in contact with centralized state organizations and hierarchical societies. I would have chosen to differentiate themselves and the societies from these status peoples, So how do they do so exactly? The Puschi way of life would have revolved around, as I said, a deep respective for kinship, communal responsibility, and spiritual stewardship of the land. The society itself was based around the loaf or family based communal unit, each love holding shared responsibility over a specific territory, ensuring the one's personal wealth doesn't override the interest and well being of the environment in the community. The love wasn't just limited to the people of that family based community unit, it also incorporated the ecosystem. That unit, incombust and occupied nature was in a sense part of the family. Rivers, mountains, forests, and other animals were treated as living relatives with the spirit and agency that desiled respect. In the Mapuche world view, all beings and elements possess nuen, the life force, and so they have to be respected. And that police system also leads the mapootated practice a sustainable use of resources and intergenerational land care. And it also compels there as I said, resistance to colonial resource extraction, deforestation, and industrial expansion. In Mapuchev's spirituality, Juanumapu or The land of the ancestors refers to the spiritual realm connected to the physical world. They've traditionally believed that the spirits of past generations inhabit this realm, offering guidance and protection the matches or spiritual leaders, so as the bridges between these worlds. So they're supposed to do things that conduct ceremonies, heal the sick, and connect with the ancestral spirits. They've stilled as the custodians in a sense of spiritual knowledge and medicine, and that makes them an essential component in each love. The socio political structure of the Mapuche has been a confederation of love groups known as the Alaraway system, where the different loves would come together to make communal decisions and joint actions, particularly in times of conflict or threat. Each love will be represented in these confederations by alonco, who would be bringing their communities voice and perspective to regional councils without necessarily exercise and centralized authority. The decisions these councils are based on consensus traditionally and cooperation compromise, honoring the collective will as much as possible, rather than imposing will from above, and contrary to popular belief, this lack of centralization has actually made them more resilient, not more fragile. Rather than beckering and fighting and split in and splintering constantly than Pouch have historically united and together resisted multiple attempts at subjugation. So they centralized alliances have empowered them to respond flexibly and quickly to the ever changing landscape of the threats that they're facing, and this resistance can use to this day. But let me not skip ahead. The Spanish fullst made their way to Mapouche territory in the mid fifteen hundreds, initially confident that they could conquer the area with the same ease they had subdued the InCor Empire to the north. But the Mapuche were not easily intimidated. Early encounters quickly to into conflict, and the Spanish found themselves up against a serious resistance movement. From the start, the Spanish had underestimated the Impucha's ability to adapt when the conquistadors introduced horses and new weaponry. Thelpuch observed and learned quickly, incorporating captured horses and arms into their own defense strategies. Rather than a simple series of skirmishes, This struggle would become a prolonged confrontation, one of the longest and most determined resistances to colonization throughout the Americas. This was Lagira Tirauco or the Arako War, known for over one hundred years of protracted, brutal conflicts maintained by guerrilla warfare, and there would be no definitive battle or grand conclusion to this war. Thelpuch recognized that they were facing vast resources. They knew they had to find ways to level that playing field, and so, using their familiarity with the forests, rivers and mountains of Albapo, they ambushed, evaded, and outflanked Spanish troops, cut off supply lines, and employed tactics that frustrated and exhausted their laws and equipped opponents. The Lapuche were fighting on two fronts, defending their territories from physical invasion and preserving their cultural practices from Spanish influence. Those Mupuch are traditionally egalitarian. They did elect toki or war years during times of conflict. These figures were limited to their role in coordinating forces during these conflicts and had no other political power to yield above others. One of the more notable of these toki was a man named Lautaro. He was a young Mapuche who had been captured by the Spanish as a teenager and had worked for some time as a stable boy for chief conquistado and governor of Gilet, Pedro de Valgivia. While working as a stable boy, Lautaro managed to secretly observe many of the tactics the Spanish employed. He gained intimate knowledge of what made them tick in a sense, and eventually escaped captivity and brought this knowledge back to his people, transforming a Puchi resistance by effectively using captured horses and new formations to confront the Spanish on ivan ground. Lautaux was a brilliant military strategist and by all accounts, a charismatic young man that inspired his people through several major victories, including defeating a large Spanish force at the Battle of Tucapel in fifteen fifty three, which is a confrontation that killed his former master and a good bit of Spanish morale. Unfortunately, the outbreak of a typhus plague, a drought, and a famine slowed the Mapuchier advance to expel the Spanish as they had to spend some time recovering, but Lautero did try to push a band of Apoucha as far north as Santiago, Chile to liberate the country from Spanish rule. Unfortunately, before he could even turn thirty, he was killed in an ambush, and well his spirit continues to live on as a symbol of Ampuche resilience. As the war evolved, they had cycles of conflict interspersed with uneasy pieces Spanish settlements. The Mapuche frontier became isolated, vulnerable outpost subject to sudden raids, so in an attempt to hold the territory, the Spanish had to divert large amount of their resources to maintain a military presence, which was a very costly strategy that didn't end up being sustainable long term. So finally, after decades of failed attempts to subdue the Mapucha by force, the Spanish had to adopt a different approach. Resulted in a series of peace treaties which will be unheard of in the rest of Clonal Latin America. Among these was the Parliament of Killin in sixteen forty one, which established a formal boundary between Spanish controlled Chile and the autonomous Mapuche territories, granted the mapucha I legal recognition as an independent people with territorial rights. This is ritually unheard of across the rest of the Americas, and that's to tell you how powerful their resistance was at the time. The Spanish crown recognized Mapuche control over lands south of the Bbio River and agreed to regular negotiations. And although this agreement was tenuous and at times violated, it did also mark an era of semi autonomy for the Mapuche, allowing them to maintain their land, language and traditions in the face of surrounding clunal expansion. The fact that they could even secure legal recognition of their autonomy from a state power as stubborn as a Spanish in a time like the seventeenth century, it's just remarkable. But unfortunately, as you could probably predict that recognition of the autonomy would not last. In the eighteen hundreds, Chile and Argentina emerged as independent republics following Spanish clunial rule, each driven by an appetite for territorial expansion and a nationalist vision. The excluded indigenous autonomy with new ambitions to civilize and consolidate the nations. Chilean and Argentine leaders saw them Mapouche held lands as resources to be exploited. Both governments are justified their encroachment on Morepouche land under the guise of national progress. To them, these indigenous lands were free real estate to be conquered and improved, not sovereign regions held by an indigenous population. They saw way of life as a barrier as the economic development to your place with European style land holdings set the colonies and extractive industries under new management. They would not respect the sixteen forty one Parliament kill in as far as they were concerned. They didn't sign that agreement, and they would never sign an agreement with savages.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, we also saw that sort of thing throughout the Americas, where you would have these like alleged trities that then either under future rule or even sometimes under the exact same rule, would later just be completely disregarded.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you didn't sign it with me, you know.
Speaker 2: It's like a common colonial tactic to buy time.
Speaker 5: As well exactly established and sure buery resources for a later attack. Yeah, and I could just say, well, I didn't sign that, you know, somebody else signed it, so I don't have to be behold onto it pretty much, and so Chileo launched their campaign to annexed Mapuche land, known as the Pacification of Aracanya, initiated in the eighteen sixties. Some have argued that this attempted annexation was triggered by the events surrounding the wreck of Hooven Danielle at the coast of Hrakania in eighteen forty nine, where erecked Chilean navy vessel was allegedly looted and its survivors allegedly attacked on Apoucha territory by members of Apouche society, despite the Mapuche arguing there had been no survivors, and despite them handing over some of the accused of lutin to be tried by Chilean authorities, even retilling in so of what was allegedly looted. The perception of the incident as a brutal loot and rape by the Mapuche fueled anti Mapouche sentiment within Chilean society. Although President Manualnais of Chile dismissed the opposition's calls for a punitive expedition at the time. The conquest would eventually come to pass, begetting in eighteen sixty one. If you dig into this story, by the way, you come to find out that a lot of the Loutenant and Mapouche were accused of was actually members of Chilean society and bazilin the resources from the wreck and then play into office if the Mapuche were wholly responsible for the loss of the resources. Some of the same people who are accusing the Wapouchier looters of stealing all the all the loot from the ship, many of them had received some of that loot from the Mahuche themselves. Thempuche were trying to return the loot and they decided to keep it for themselves instead of you know, retaining it's the Chilean government. So it's like the whole trial was bunked. There was a whole bunch of corruption and it was a real master And although the president did you know, dismiss the attempts to attack at the time, like I said, it would come to pass. The campaign was justified as every government does by necessity. You know, the reality however, was a brutal invasion ended up Upuch communities, displacing thousands, absorbing their lands into the Chilean state.
Speaker 2: This whole strategy also just reflects this just general dehumanization. I mean, even the stuff with like the treaties and just like the going back on the treaties, denial of the legitimacy of treaties, that tactic would not be used the same way against like other colonial nations. And then every subsequent development and every subsequent incursion onto land, all all of it is just based on this like underlying level of dehumanization that just sees land as resources and the people there as like acceptable casualties or just fierce obstacles to overcome in conquest of those lands.
Speaker 5: Exactly, and obstacles they were because Chile knew where they wanted to reach in terms of what they saw as their right full borders and were literally a wedge an obstacle between them and region where they wanted to reach. At the tip of South America. It was almost like a race between Argentina and child had to see who could reach the edge and claim it first, and THEUCH will something that was keeping them from doing that, and Additionally, Tapouch would not have been granted the same legitimacy of a claim as Argentina. You know, Chile and Argentina would eventually comes in agreement about where their border would lie, and their respected that agreement. Same couldn't be said for them Puch. And of course there were a lot of border disagreements of course in South America following the you know, evacuation of the Spanish, but of course those are treated on equal foot in the natives are different matter. So Chilean forces would corner advance into Aracania forcibly, removed thousands of families from the ancestral territories and subject those that remade into the authority to the Chilean government. The traditional cumin land holdings have remained were fragmented and redistributed, often to Chilean settlers and the government's imposed European style laws, education and religion to attempt to assimilate the Mapuche and suppress the identity. Military outposts and settlements also established in the newly annexed land, fastily facing the region under martial law and making it difficult from Pucci communities to resist openly replace the words Chilean government with Israeli government, and Mapuche with Palestinian And that's just to tell you how antiquated the current tactics of colonization are. Very little has changed.
Speaker 2: No, That's exactly what I've been thinking about.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, a lot of the former major coal powers have found more subtle means of continuing their exploitation and subjugation of people around the world. So it's very rare to see something so open and flagrant. You know, It's something that you expect to see in historical accounts such as this of landhole ends being chopped up and give unto settlers, and laws and education and being imposed and to a native population to suppress and to assimilate the I dentity. You know, military outpost being established on New Leanix Land, Marcia law being established for the native inhabitants, all those things. Hear about it, and pushing of the American frontier, and you hear about it and throughout South America and Africa's cooling history. You don't really tend to think about that here and now it's happening in four.
Speaker 2: K No, Like, that's exactly what I was thinking about as you've been going through all this like how it just sounds exactly the same as what Israel is currently doing. And I think why people latch on to like Israel specifically so much is because of how like out of time their tactics of colonial expansion and feel and like similarly like it. It's just built on this base level of dehumanization exactly that a whole bunch of other like imperial powers kind of try to like hide or like mask a little bit, and with Israels just so mask off.
Speaker 5: So I think about all that time they were like a century late pretty much. Yeah, if they had starts in this process like a sentry Elia, they would have actually probably have gotten away with it.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, well and they still might get away with it now to some degree. And that's like that is true. That's that's kind of the super that's the super frightening thought is that even though it is this outdated like style, what if it like still works and if and if it's proven to still work in Palestine, where like where else can this be used? Like will we just see more countries feel like they can get away with it because Israel did? And like that's kind of part of looking into the next four years and looking into just just how how the world is going in this general kind of far right power grab happening all like all over the globe. Will more and more countries be kind of willing to utilize these types of colonial tactics.
Speaker 3: And it's scary and bad.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean when you think about how the severity of the clomb situation it's just going to worsen, and you think about the pressures at places on the most exploitive regions of the globe, how that might pressure, you know, migration, and how that might pressure sort of efforts to resist the sort of tightening of the hold of expectation up until the call that was reading this book called one of People's History of Fashion, just thinking about the whole textile trade as a whole and how it impacts different parts of the globe and whatever, and just talking about this now, I'm just thinking like, if workers in those countries were to stand up, well, in all this time, you know, some of the most deadly struggles or taking place in these regions, in these saturns, but if they were to stand up and resist, now, I mean it, mind, you've got even more open and then blatant with the suppression of those people and those voices, and as they attempt to try and make their way out of those those hot spots, those hot regions of instability and violence and climate catastrophe. You know, we have all this migrant rhetoric to yes, make the struggle even worse.
Speaker 2: That's like the fucoas boomerang idea of all of these colonial tactics also can eventually turned inward. And right now you see the same level of dehumanization being levied against like millions of immigrants who are here both legally as refugees and are also here undocumented. But it's the same like rhetorical tactics that make people okay with this is that level of dehumanization. And you also see that, of course levied against like trans people. You still see that livid against indigenous people, and it's just like a growing list of people that are no longer seen as like real humans.
Speaker 5: Yeah, for some reason you're saying that, my mind fixates it on the fact that you said undocumented, and it's reminded me of the absurdity of all of this. The difference is literally some pieces of people. The difference is literally a rule of the dice spawn point from one side of the water or another. I have we allow this to like totally dominate our lives.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like a it's like a deep spiritual evil. So many people don't even like realize the absurdity of it, and how just like it takes away so much of like thought and empathy and people people just don't even know, Like they don't even like process that that's what they've done to themselves by like constructing this system that they believe is like divine or like enshrined by God.
Speaker 5: The right to exist defense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like it's it is. So much of it is a dice roll. So much of it is situations beyond anyone's conscious control.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And to sort of pull us back on to the track, you can also see the mirrors between the current past Indian struggle and theon Gordmapuch struggle and even going back to this time that I have even discussing the Puchi struggle of the past, because despite all of this conal expansion, the Upuci resisted not only militarily but culturally. They held on to their language, they held on to their customs, they held onto their spiritual practices, they held on to their identity in defiance of assimilations policies and across the Andes. Meanwhile, Argentina was pursuing a similarly aggressive campaign just known as the Conquest of the Desert. This was led by General Julio Argentino Rocca in the eighteen seventies and eighteen eighties, and this really sort of eradicate and displace all the indigenous groups through in the area, including the Mapuch who had lived on the fertile Pampas and Patagonian regions, to secure valuable land for wait for it, cattle ranchin agriculture and European settler expansion cattaranchian as in you know, the whole meat trade.
Speaker 2: The cows are more important than the people.
Speaker 5: Exactly, and the demand for the cows is more important than people. They see this violence of agricultural and expansion other places as well, as I said, I was reading one and one of the things she notes is that part of what pushed the American westward expansion was that they were growing cotton, and cotton is extremely intensive and historically cotton was grown in a polyculture, was grown with other plants. Right with these cotton monocultures, it really quickly strips the soil of its nutrients, and so they were pushing westward because they kept on having to find new land to grow the cotton on. And of course who was working that cotton and who was working with plantations, just explotation all the way down and all that just to feed this rapacious appetite of expansion. You know, we had thousands of years of sustainable growth and sustainable cyclical economy use, but things that that would last, and just in these last few centuries we've just completely lost that because above all the line has to go up well.
Speaker 2: And like also part of that quest for agricultural domination. In order to make that possible, there's the invention of the international slave trade, which is similarly built on this level of just base decumanization and the desire for agricultural production being way more important than the humanity of like everybody involved in that process, yep.
Speaker 5: And then it's also tied to the petrochemical trade because to maintaining these soils in this unnatural form, you have to basically pump the land with these artificial fertilizers, which are typically derived from Patrick Ammick goals, and.
Speaker 2: Like that, that process of the soil basically becoming dead like started even as early as like the late eighteen hundreds. Like this, this is just like a modern problem in like the wet past, like fifty hundred years all of that land was like overused and starting to get destroyed almost like two hundred years ago, but specifically like the late eighteen hundreds.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and this is what we're looking at here, and this this particular historical narrative we're just watching. The fall of wild Mapo, of course, was looking at at a more grandize sence, the fall of the remaining communities that actually were maintaining that connection land there being in this process subjugated so that there is no resistance and no present to alternative to the extractive model that was at least part of the goal of this expansion. As we see in Argentina, the few Mapuche who survived this massacre because they employed all sorts of tactics rangers from scorch student policies to force relocations to like outright just you know, the few that survived for relocated to reservations, tripped to their land and reduced to laborers within this modern or rapidly modernized in Argentina and General Rocker's campaign was celebrated by the Argentine elite as a triumph of civilization over barbarism. Where have I heard that before? So in both Chile's passification of Aracanya and Argentina's conquest of the desert. He had this large scale dispossession of Apucca land. And while Mapoo now being fully split by the border of Argentina and Chile, the vast majority of Puce now live in Chile. There are only a few times one thousands left in Argentina to this day. Initially, Mapucha leaders and communities launched uprisings and gorilla attacks against the Chilean and Argentine military forces, fighting to defend their territories, but as military suppression tensified, resistance also had to adapt When Puchia communities had to adopt more fluid forms of opposition, intaining cultural practices, stories, and languages as an active resistance. Some of Pucci leaders petitioned for land rights and autonomy through legal channels, seeking to challenge dispossession through the courts. Others continue to resist through armed confrontation, often leading isolated uprisings when government forces overstepped or attempted to cease more landed. The future resistance that follows this period is basically rooted in the traumas of this period, as the people were forcibly integrated into Chilean and Argentine societies, yet never fully accepted. As we move into the early twentieth century, the Pusche communities continue to be hit hard by policies that aim to dissolve the traditional ways of life. The Chilean and Argentine governments squeeze Onucha onto reservations, but surrounding lands were given to power for landowners and settlers. Land's guesty was a significant issue, as from Puchet families often had thoughts too more to sustain their traditional agricultural practices, and the dispossession led economic hardship and wide tread poverty further marginalized them from national economies. The assimilation attempts to frame ndition as community identity as something to be erased in favor of European norms, pushed out the Mapundun language and cultural ties and aimed to impose Spanish as the primary language. Thankfully, today, Mapundum still survives as the language and the Jucha people at the time Mapuchi were also forced into the wage labor on settler farms experience and of course very harsh conditions are very little protection. Many of them. Mapuchi ended up migrating from rural areas to cities as the arable land twindled, and then found themselves in places like Santiago and Temuco beginning the nineteen thirty years and Anima Puchier families ended up working as laborers and urban centers where their these new forms of discrimination. A lot of Mpuche women ended up going to work as servants within the houses of the Chilean elite, and during this period of hardship, Iarlimapoucha political movements began to take shape. In the nineteen tens, Wabuchi leaders organized groups like Societ Dad Kapu Likan Defense Soa de la Arakanya, which advocated for land rights and civil protections agent to reclaim the dispossessed land and fight against the abuse of indigenous laborers. These early organizations marked a significant shift in Mapuche strategy represented a movement towards formal political approaches to resistance. The assaulstionment of political alliances that sympathetic groups also strengthened Mpucha cause. In the nineteen twenties nineteen thirties, indigenous organizations began working with the Chilean communists and socialist parties, focusing on indigenous labor issues and broader anti landlord campaigns. However, these alliances often prioritized national labor and Akrainian reform over specific indition's rights, leaving Themapouche to continue the fight largely on their own terms. But in spite of this limited political power, these early efforts helped lay the groundwork for later land rights activism. From the mid twentieth century onward, rapid and gustrialization, extractive forestry operations and monoculture plantations began to dominate Mapucha land, and pollution increased. Rivers were contaminated. Forest power of diversity was replaced by non native species like pine and eucalyptus plantations, and all of this leads, of course, soiled depletion. The remaining Mapuchia, agriculture and local ecosystems were naturally threatened, which fully compel their resistance. At the same time, they were still, of course, working to preserve their language, their cultural practices, their music, their arts, the spiritual ceremonies. For a small moment, there was some hope as the government of Salvador Allende, you know this is going passed an indigenous law that recognized their distinctive culture and history and began to restore Mapuche Commune a lot. But I think we all remember how that to end oubt. Bam bam, you have a who are coop sponsored by the US, and Pinochet is in power. In power, Pinochet calls for the division of the reserves and the liquidation of the Indian communities. He initially sounds like a cartoon villain of everything I've read and learned about him, I mean, who speaks of the liquidation of a people?
Speaker 2: Pinochet is extremely cartoon villain coded, except it was a real person. So I also have this tendency to not dismiss super evil people as like unhuman monsters, because I think that actually limits our understanding of how evil humans can be. Sure, and this isn't even just a pure principle, like I don't like dehumanization in general, it's that I think it actually makes these people harder to beat if you view them as like some monstrous force instead of something that's actually deeply human and Yeah, he is a cartoon villain. He's also like a person, and like that's actually kind of more scary than just viewing him as some monster.
Speaker 6: Very true, And I don't know, it's a.
Speaker 2: Frame of thought I've come back on specifically and like thinking about like anti fascism.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, that's something I always think about when I think of a lot of the most brutal world leaders across human history. I often think, you know, this person did not spawn out of the air. There was a time when this person was a newborn and they were babbling, learning to speak, learning to walk, became a toddler, small child, pre teen, teenager, young adults, so much nature and nurture would have gone into the police and they became. But they had the same spawn point as everybody else. They all started as a baby, and Pinochet was unfortunately no exception. After the pass and of his decree twenty five sixty eight to nineteen seventy nine, the number of indigenous creaties was reduced by twenty five percent and several Mapuchia leaders were murdered, threatened with imprisonment or excerpt. After the fall of Pinochet and returned to democracy, uppuch had a resurgionce and identity and political activism for the nineteen nineties. This revival gained momentum after the passage of Chile's Indigenous Law in nineteen ninety three, which acknowledged the Puche land right to advocated for bilingual education, opening new paths for cultural reclamatia. That same year, Nampuchi representatives at the UN pushed for Chile to adopt Iolo Convention one sixty nine, a key indigious rights treaty, but Chile didn't actually ratify the convention until two thousand and eight. Despite the established run to the National Cooperation of Indigenous Development or KANNADI in nineteen twenty three to facilitate indigenous inclusion in policy making, Mapucha involvement in such state institutions has not guaranteed geruine representation. Several KANNADI leaders who openly advocated from Mapucha autonomy or pushed against corporate interests have been removed from their positions. In twenty fifteen, Governor Francisco Juanchomia, a Promapuchi advocate in Aracanya, was removed from his position due to his support for legal reforms recognizing Mapucha rights. He can'tgo and change the system. System changes you will gets you out of the way. With the intensification of extractive industries roach lands, a wave of activism emerged, specifically aimed the protecting secret territories and the environment. Mapuchi activists frequently have stood up against forestry companies, hydroelectric projects, and multinational corporations that have aimed to exploit their resources, the e engaging land occupations and protests for land restitution and environmental protection. The Chilean stage reaction to Maputa activism is entirely predictable harsh repression under anti terrorism legislation. Mapoochier activists fe heightened police, civil lands, in prison, lond accusations of terrorism a toxic which is universally used to delegitimize resistance to injustice and violence, explotation, and destructure.
Speaker 2: It is kind of one of those magic words that has been increasingly invoked in the past twenty years.
Speaker 5: Yeah, terrorist is a magic wood. Illegal is another magic wood.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're all just like the humanization terms, right, Like, you are not a person, you are not an ex you are not well whatever, you are a terrorist and uh, terrorists do not have the same rights as humans. It's not a war crime if you do it against a terrorist.
Speaker 5: Luke Skywalker was not a terrorist. You are a terrorist, you know.
Speaker 2: But no like like whether you're like finding in like an actual resistance movement or you're just attending like a protest in a in an American city, both of those can now become quote unquote terrorists.
Speaker 5: Or or some like level clerk who just happens to be within has Aboulah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or you're a daughter of a low level clerk who is picking up a pager and oops, I guess your dad shouldn't have been a terrorist in like Jesus Christ.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah. And then of course the media has a big part to play in all this. You know, terrorist as a term is associated with certain stereotypes about various groups of people. In the past few years, it's been the you know, machete and ak waven Islamist fightal but in other time periods it was another prominent stereotype, you know, the Black seventies revolutionary or Vietcong And in the Chilean situation, media portrayals have also reinforced stereotypes of ampuch violence, which of course serves the rule of obscure in the reality of their fight for justice and environmental stewardship. It hasn't all been for not the mapuch struggle. That is, they have had a few legal triumphs rulans where the Inter American Court of Human Rights has held Chile accountable in air quotes as much as any state is actually held accountable for valuating Mapuche rights. Grassroots groups and as collectives with white have also supported Mapucha efforts. But curly these small victories and triumphs are really not much. They're not enough. Within the broader Auch movement, you do have the reformists and the simulationists, and you have groups like Quording their Daughter Arako Mayeko or Camp and they're splinter group, which is why chan Alca Mapu and they've adopted separatist stances, advocating for direct actions such as land occupations and resistance against state forces because they view autonomy and territorial reclamation as essential to mapuchia soeignty and they have no interest in compromise with the extractive industries and government that are responsible for their suffering. Traditionally, these groups have focused on acts of economic sabotage against companies that are infringing on their lands and their stewardship. Within wider Chilean society. There's still some prejudice against some Mapuche, particularly, but not exclusively from the right way, but she lays twenty nineteen uprising against inequality and government abuses found strong supports and allieship between wider Chilean society and Upuche communities who had seen echoes of their own grievances and national protests. The protests were initially sparked by a Maturro affair hike, but they quickly became a national movement demanding systemic reform in both urban and rural spaces. Thepuche communities joined or supported protesters. Were resistant continued to government policies that marginalize their communities and undermined their cultural rights. Mapuocha symbols and flags emerged prominently align in aditional struggles with these were demands of social justice, and the government response can you predict, was swift and severe. Military and police forces were deployed to use excessive violence. Apuch Ben knew about this, but some of the Chileans their experiencing this for the first time, and this mutual experience of repression reinforced alliances between the Mapuche and the Chilean activists, as both faced the stature of enviolence of propaganda that portrayed them as radicals and terrorists and extremists. So despite the crackdown, the uprising saw unprecedented support for the Mapuche cause, amplifying calls for restitution of indigious lands, former recognition of Appouoche rights in a reformed constitution, and a declinal approach to governments the respects indigenous autonomy. The twenty nineteen protests laid the groundwork for a national constitutional reform was significant Mapucha involvement to public support in a new constitutions with the twenty one raised the potential for ensurance indigenous rights from Puccier representatives actively participate in the process and creating renewed optimism for meaningful legal reprotections the respecting Puja, culture, territory and autonomy. That somewhat progressive attempt at a constitution reform, which also included gender equality measures, was rejected, and so there was another attempt just last year enter to twenty three, but it was a very conservative attempt shaped by the far right Republican Party, which trickter provisions and immigration, a ban and abortion, and a free market focus that did not resonate with the majority of voters. Fifty five point eight percent voted against the twenty twenty three draft and forty four point two percent in fever. Chile In President Gabriel Borek, whose administration had supported constitutional change, acknowledged that further attempts that constitutional reform were unlikely. So for now, Chile continues to be governed by the constitution that dates back to the dictatorship of Pinochet, while its leaders looking at alternative calves for address and social, economic, and environments of this suites in line with Chilean public opinion. If you know anything about me and my positions, you know that I'm not confident in the ability of states to meaningfully respect people's agency and autonomy ever. But I wish them Pucha all the best wherever their struggle goes, and I've personally found their story very impactful. It's one of resilience, adaptability, and vase of centuries of advolicity. They've had an unyielding desire to maintain their connection to the land and cultural identity, and they aren't going fright. Is really just a testament to the power of solidarity. And that's it for me. This has been all power to all the people.
Speaker 10: Okay, hi everyone, and welcome to it could happen here today. We're very lucky to be joined by Vladimir von Bilgenberg, who's an underground journalist who covers Syria, and Curtis Dan has written two books, including one on the alliance between the SDF and the Coalition. Is that is that a fair introduction in Vladimir.
Speaker 2: Ye?
Speaker 6: Okay, thank you, thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 10: There has obviously been a massive increase, in a massive change in the conflict in Syria in the last week or so, just under a week, and I think the information that's available to people is often very bad, very delayed, or one side or rather putting out propaganda things which mischaracterized the situation on the ground, especially with regard to the Syrian National Army, who we're going to talk about. Would you mind giving us a sort of very reef explanation of what has happened since last Wednesday when HTS, who will have to explain later, launch their operation against Aleppo.
Speaker 8: Well, in general, I mean the current situation ALAPO came to a surprise too many many people didn't expect it. So, just after the ceasefire in Lebanon, the Hayata te Rocham, which is offshoot of al Qaeda, so they said they don't have relations with al Qaida anymore. They split off from al Qaeda. They launched a big operation in Alappo against the Serian government or the same regime, whatever you want to call it. I think initially they didn't think that they would go so far, all the way into Alappo city. There have been agreements between Russia, Iran, and Turkey and Syria in Astana about the deconflection zone in the northwestern province of Italy. So the HTS insurgents, they claim they launched this operation towards Aleppo in response to violation of this Astana agreement. So according to that agreement, this area will be in control of the HDS and the other area will be control of the regime and they wouldn't bother each other. But this agreement was never really implemented, I mean versus Russia. They were constantly bombing it. Sometimes the HTS would attack regime positions. Also according to this deconfliction zone, actually the Serian government and I reining back armed groups. They went actually in that the de confliction zone was supposed to be controlled by the Seyian insurgents. So they launched this operation in response to the they say the violations by the Serian government, and I think because when they realized that the defenses of the Serian government very weak, they pushed further into Aleppo. And it was not really planned to take the city of Aleppo, although there's also a video of Jiulani, the leader of HDS, saying that my brothers, one day we're going to be an Aleppo, So maybe it was planned. We don't know really for sure, but the fact is that the Syrian government defense is collab and for some people in the region, it was sort of reminded of the days of Mussol when the Iraqi army they fled Mussol in twenty thirty fourteen and then Isis took over, although the HTS really denied that they are similar to ISIS, although they have a similar Islamish ideology. So they took the city of Aleppo in three days, and they have been trying to go up towards Hama, a city more up so far, they haven't been able to take the city. And on the other hand, you also have another group called the Seran National Army, which is groups composed of basic groups that were supported by the Turkish government. They also started to move. They also started to carry out operations against Kurtish lad Forces also known as the Cerrian Democratic Forces of the YPG. And also they started to do operations against the Syrian government in above Albab and also in northern Aleppo. And they took also several towns in northern Aleppo and also they advanced and I think their main reason of that. So while the HDS is primarily mostly fighting against the Syrian government, I think the Serian National Army, because it's back by Turkey, they also have an interest to undermine the Serian Democratic Forces because Turkey in the past they have said they don't want to have a second Kurdish autonomous region in the region, because you have already won in Iraq, which was became recognized after the fall of the Damp, So you have a Kurdistan region in Iraq, and Turkey was sort of afraid to have a second Kurdistan region in Syria, especially because it's created by a group which has ideological affiliation with the pik Ak with they follow the idology of the imprisoned leader of the pik A k Abdulachlan, which Turkey sees is a terrorist organization. So it's very complex, which we always keep saying about Syria, but you basically have two different operations. You have the Turkish back groups that are trying to stop the Kurts from linking up with Aleppo, and then you have the HDS, the Islamist groups that are trying to go up and they already took Alepo and they also took many areas in the countryside of Hama, and actually they now control all of the province. So in the past the certain government they control some parts of lip but now they control the it's as they control all of Yeah.
Speaker 10: So I think if we start by looking, I think most people who listen to this will be familiar with the SDF, with the Autonomous Administration in North East Syria, and with the ri Java Revolution, and they'll be wondering. Kind of the question I get mostly is like how does this impact that? That's what people are asking. So with that in mind, I think we should explain. Perhaps we've talked before in this show about Operation Piece Spring e Fretty Shield and these Turkish incursions into previously SDF controlled areas and the genocide or violence that accompanied that, or ethnic cleansing, however you want to phrase it. Can you explain what happened in the areas where the SNA have advanced and like what that's meant for the Kurdish people who lived there or in some cases are still there.
Speaker 8: Yeah, in the in the northern Aleppo and Aleppo City, so you have two Kurdish neighborhoods called Ashrafiya and Chech Maksut. There are around one hundred to two hundred thousand people living there. Then you have also two small Kurdish towns called Tel Aran and Tel Hassel, which have changed hands constantly during the Serian Civil War between the YEPG, the Syrian government and Iran, then by the rebels done by ISIS than by al Kaida, like it was a big mess. Yeah. Then you have also you have like Kurts that were displaced from Afrine because Turkey they carried out an operation against the YPG in twenty eighteen, So you have thousands of Kurts that left Afrine. So the statistics are a bit unclear, but at least there were around ten thousand IDPs living in camps in northern Aleppo, and you also have people living outside of the camp, so the statistics are always a bit unclear, but it's they now say that they were around ten thousand families that were displaced, so they were already displaced from Afrine before. And there's this town of Tararapad, which has been a strategic location in Aleppo because it was sort of like opening up the way to Aleppo City and the Kurdish back forces they took actually this town with Russian support from the Turkish back rebels, so they had like grievances about this town. But Turkey, even during the Afrine operation, they didn't get the green light to take this town from the Kurtkish back groups. Also, the Syrian government was there by the way after dreamings, so this town always was like a focal point of contention between the Kurts and the Syrian insurgents. So what happened after HCS took Aleppo, the Syrian National Army with the backing of Turkey, they moved on towards Teara Lapad. And also because in the past, there was more bad because you have also two small towns called Mumble and Zahara. They were like prominently inhabited by people from the Shia religion, so there were Iranian back groups there and they were in the back of Telarafad, so they were sort of as a balance. So they sort of like the curves, were able to hold out in Tarapad despite like many offensive by the Turkish back groups. So what happened because of basically all the Syrian government, they were removed from Aleppo and as a result, like they were very weakend and completely isolated. I mean until now there's Kurtish forces in Astrophia and Czech Masud, but they're completely surrounded and embargoed by the HTS, which is not something new because before this conflict, this new renewed conflict in Aleppo, the Syrian government was also imposing embargoes on those two neighborhoods, not allowing food and topping electricity and bothering people at checkpoints because they had like always issues with the Kurtish led forces because they're sort of in the Syrian Civil War, they have always played sort of a third role, like they want to have their autonomy. Then you have the Shiran armed groups. They are trying to topple the Syrian government, and then you had the Syrian government trying to stop this from happening. And then yeah, the Kurtish led forces were trying to create the autonomous administration and they got some support from the US in the fight against ISIS since the Battle of Kovani. Yeah, so yeah, this is like the situation a lepos. So now what happened is that thea fat were in twenty sixteen, the Parabs of Telfad, they fled. Actually this after s THEFYPG took this down. So now the Seen rebels they took this down, and this time that the people that fled from after into these towns that they were living around four or five six IDP camps there, they were forced to flee. So the Kurdish groups they were like trying to resist the SNA advances, but they were not able to resist them because they were completely surrounded because as I mentioned, Nobel and Zaka fell, so they were like completely pinched from all sides. But before they had always like Nobble and Zacha behind them, so they could not not be completely surrounded. But this time they were completely surrounded. They were forced to leave there or not able to continue the fight. So I think there was like a de facto deal or something, because you saw like convoys with actually with fighters with weapons and armed hunvies. They were like being escorted two checkpoints and they were allowed to cross towards Sabka actually a town in northeast Aria. And maybe most likely the US they were involved in the sort of de facto deal and Turkey, but so far the US they haven't comment on that, but most likely there was sort of a deal for the forces in Tarafa to leave with the civilians and they're now hosted in camps, in displacement camps in the town of Tabca. And then there are still Kurts living as I mentioned in Astrapia and chef Marsuda to big neighborhoods in Aleppo. And then you have also two small Kurdish towns around the Hassa which are now controlled by the year National Army the Turkish back groups, so the hyattas their local administration. They offered the deal to the Kurdish fighters. He said, you can leave these two Kurtish neighborhoods and Aleppo without any issues and the Curs that are living there, we respect them and they can stay there, but the Kurdish fighters they have to leave. But then there was a statement i think yesterday by the leader of the SEF, the Muslim Ubdi. He was saying like we were forced to evacuate the people because we were trying to create a corridor between these Kurdish enclaves in Aleppo with the rest of North East area, because they are like Turkish backed rebels and the certain government in between trying to trying to make a corridor. So they said this corridor was actually was broken and they were forced to evacuate. But he said that the Kurtish forces were still in Aleppo resisting. So it seems that the YPG didn't completely follow this offer of the HS. But of course we don't know if there was maybe a backdoor deal with the HTS to allow first people in nordern Alapo to leave and then maybe in a later phase that they will also leave Aleppo because they are there in a quite difficult situation.
Speaker 10: Yeah, a very difficult situation.
Speaker 8: But they're now accused by I see rebels that they are positioning snipers in Aleppo and that they are still a Leppo. But they never left Czech Masut and Astrapia. But I also talked to people. They're saying that civilians they were offered in Czech Masud and Astrapia to leave that area if they wanted to leave, so they were not forced to leave, that they had the option opportunity to leave that area if they wanted. But then the buses didn't show up and they didn't leave, because I mean, they need only not only evacuated Kurdish civilians from northern Lepo, but I think they also evacuated the Shia population of Dubo Zakha. There were sometimes also that they were also evacuated to North East Ayria because they don't feel safe for their lives if those rebels take those areas. Yeah, and they are still there. They don't want to be captured by the rebels and used as hostages or so most likely they left with the Kurts to north east Syria and what will happen to them. They probably go to Iraq or to other areas in Syria.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you meet like in Northeast Aria, you meet sometimes like either former ragimes or people who have left regime areas, and like they've made their lives there. So now we have this situation right where, yeah, we have these two little islands, we'll just call them YPG for the ease of to not introduce another acronym, right of like a Kurdish armed folks in Aleppo. To complicate this further, and people will probably have seen this, I want to explain it. In the Rezor, we have a different situation, right, we have their the SDF attacking Iranian back Relicious and the regime. Do you feel comfortable explaining what's going on in Derisora where that's a different calculus.
Speaker 8: Yeah. So since former president or the incoming president Donald Trump when he pulled out troops from Syria in twenty nineteen when Turkey did an offensive against the Curves and Telabatasaain at that point in the US, they left, but then there was so much criticism from both Democrats and Republicans that he was forced to come back. So until now, there are still nine hundred Jewish troops in Detozor Province and in Husska Province, which is actually not a lot because if you look to for instance, South Korea, there are thousands of troops in South Korea and in other places. So it's not very a lot. But in the US discussions it's always discussed all we have troops in Syria, but actually compared to other countries, is not a very big number.
Speaker 10: Nine hundred people, no, not unto very small footprint.
Speaker 8: So they have the small footprint in Detzor and Hassaka and they basically they worked with the Kurtish led forces since the Battle of Kobani to basically defeat the Isiskelephate because it was a threat to European security and US security, and they were trying to carry out attacks in Europe, and there were many attacks in Europe and when civilians were killed, so ye had the anti Isis fight. This is one of the reasons actually why the Kurtish led forces they were forced to go to Detozor because it was their last beast on in twenty nineteen when they defeated the territorial Caliphate of Isis. So since there you have this the SEF there and they have their own administration in the Rezor and they have like local forces and Arabs that joined them in the fight against sizes. So what happened that in the last few years, in the last one or two years, there have been attempts by the Syrian government and Iranian back groups basically to recruit Arab tribes to fight against the SDF. So there have been several skirmishes and battles since that time. After also the SDF they arrested a commander of them that they thought he was like going to portrade them. So since that time, there were like several skirmishes between these milasies that are calling themselves the tribal army or something in that regard. And then you have the SCF, so you had like fights between the Ranian back groups and the SDF. And recently with all the changes in Syria, there were a number of villages around seven six villages that were actually Russian army was based in those villages. It was like the line sort of dividing the US back as theF forces and the Syrian government forces. And there's also a river, but those villages they were like in front of the river, so the river is sort of naturally dividing the areas between the SDF and the Syrian government. But there were like still a number of villages that were not on that line, and actually there were Russian troops based in that villages. Yeah, but with the whole crisis with Aleppo and the fight now between the HCS and the Syrian government in Hannah, the Russians they moved out from those villages. So those villages that actually are almost empty, there is nothing there. So during this situation they as UF they just moved in those villages and there was actually not so much fighting, although on the social media I see that all there's fighting and this kind of stuff. So there was some over these like the last one or two years, they have been heavy fighting between the SDF and Reign Impact Groups, but in these villages not so much because it was just anti villages and they just took them over and there was no one there.
Speaker 10: Yeah, Okay, So that leaves us with like I guess an e S getting a little bit larger in the south and then how smaller in the west.
Speaker 8: Yeah, very much faller in the west. And it's even not clear if they can keep their presence in Aleppo because I mean, Chef Marshut and Asia is now completely surrounded by the HDS, and it seems that the HDS they have been a little bit softer with the SDF and YPG than the SNA, because the SNA, I mean, they have their issues because they're also backed by the Turkish government and the Turkish government they always said their policy is basically to stop the SDF from treating autonomous area, and they also said the SDF is linked to the PIKK, although the SDF they deny links to the pi AK, although they don't deny their idological affiliation with the prison pick A k Here.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 8: So Turkey always said that they are feeling threatened and they have always claim that attacks were planned on Turkey from northeast Asyria, from Rosava on on Turkey. Yeah, THEFF deny that. I think there was also there was not so a long time ago. There was also an attack in Ankara, and Turkey also claimed that it was a carry planned from British cities in Syria. Yeah, so that's that's like the situation.
Speaker 10: Yeah, they gives Yeah, they give us a pretty good summary of the situation. I think. So let's talk about HTS a bit, because I think you're going to see one of two things. Right when we talk about the SNA and HDS, A lot of outlets will just collapse them under the same descriptor they will just say Syrian rebels, and I think people will think of the original largely secular uprising in Syria in twenty eleven, and if they have not been paying attention, they'll realize that ISIS has been and gone.
Speaker 3: But they'll think, oh, these must be the same guys.
Speaker 10: These are not the same guys. But some of them may be the same guys who are originally part of Jiulani was originally sent there by a back daddy way back to be part of ISIS. But these are not the secular rebels who originally rose up in Syria. And so can you explain like HTS has this very interesting kind of legitimacy project right, like it's trying to build a pseudo state and present like a kind of gentler Jihadism. I don't know how to say it, but can you explain a little bit of this transformation of HDS and what you make of it.
Speaker 8: I mean, as you mentioned that Julani, the current leader of the HS, he was sent by at that time, I think it was al Kai the are the Islamic state of Iraq, and yeah, Syria basically to establish like but at that time there was no ISIS yet I think so so later basically he refused to budge allegiance and he basically did his own thing. He created Jabalta Nostra, which was the affiliate of al Qaeda. But then he decided to basically split from al Qaeda and he announced like these links to I think at the time that it was Zawahiri, but I'm not sure. So he basically split from al Qaeda, and you still have a split off group from al Qaeda in itlyp it's called h Russell Din, which they actually they had issues with. They had some problems with them. So HDS, although Isis territory was defeated twenty nineteen, the HTS or they basically with all the creates in Syria because I mean they have been fighting out for all the problems between the Sern government and different armed groups. They managed to sort of cementa crowd throw in the province of lip and they created their own little administration there. But despite that, they say that we don't have any links to al Qaeda. I mean they're still listed by for instance, the US as a terrorist organization.
Speaker 10: Yeah, there's a ten million dollar bounty on Julani still, right, they just never took it away from Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 8: It seems that the US doesn't believe this moderation idea that the HS tries to show them more moderately. But my idea of the HS, it's more like a sort of a lighter, softer version of ices. I mean, they're not like ices that they're gonna broadcast people being blown up or beheaded on the film screen. It's just that they do it in the back of the screen. I mean, there's people being executed according to the Islamic Shadia a lot, there are people being imprisoned. I mean, you also had protests actually it left against Jolani that they were actually opposed to the authoritarian rule. And I think then you have separate from the sort of the Islamic Islamics, which you can actually sort of compare to the Taliban. Yes, I think that's a good comparison, Yes, to the Taliban. And also I think Taliban they have some relationships actually the HS, and they also congratulated the HTS after they took control of Aleppo, so sort of it's like a Taliban rule, though of course Taliban is very different contacts related to Syria culture Afghan culture, so it's different of course, but they're both, yes, Islamist projects with a national project at the same time. So it's Islamist project for Syria and the Taliban have an Islamist project for Afghanistan, although you also have Pakistani Taliban et cetera. Yeah, so it's not like a transnational jihad, but you can call it like a national jihad maybe.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think that's the crucial difference, right at least for the US, like that makes them kind of more amenable than than ISIS or even Al kaider Is that. Yeah, they have this nationally contained Jahadi vision, so.
Speaker 8: They don't do attacks in Europe or in the US. But of course there are several groups in ITLAB that are sort of falling under the control of HDS that are possibly could do external attacks, et cetera. And apart from that, you have the Syrian National Army. So the Syrian National Army, it's like a mix of different groups. As you mentioned in the beginning of the series Civil War, you had the Phisian Army, but then the Free Serrian Army. They split in several groups. I mean some like linked to Muslim brotherhoods, some linked to Turkmen groups, other groups secular groups et cetera. So all these groups that were basically fighting in different provinces, they were all gathered because Turkey. They did several Turkish military did several operations in twenty sixteen in northern Syria with the main aim is to stop the YPG from linking up the Kurdish enclaves on the border with Turkey. So they did I think the first one I was Euphraid Shield. Then they had I think Operation All of Brands in Afrin in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, incredible names.
Speaker 8: Then I think the last operation account Recalled was in twenty nineteen when they took Telaviat and Serkania from the Kurtish Laud forces the YPGSDA. So they had these three operations. And these groups are sort of a mixed as I mentioned, a different groups with also different ideologies. Some are more Turkmen in nature, some of them are more Islamist in nature. Some there are like sort of leftovers from secular groups that used to FI. Some of them even they in the past they received support from the US from the CIA against the Seian regimes. So some of them they receive support and this is like a sort of umbrella of self organizations. So HDS is one group and they control also other groups in but it's one group. But the SNA there are like a lot of different groups, and they also have been fighting each other several times in areas and Turkish control. So this is very different and there are more sectarian in nature, let's say more. I mean, they have also been less under control than the HTS in the way that there have been a lot of kidnappings for ransom, a lot of like sexual violence against women and rape. This is all documented by self organizations, Juan organizations. They also have child soldiers, so they have different kinds of issues, and but they have been more accused of like more sort of gang style of activity, and that's why. Also some of them there were sanctioned by the US and also some of them they have integrated like former IIS fighters in their ranks. And you also have like first you have some groups that are frondos or the other are originally for instance from the area around Mato or Aza. Some of them they could they were displaced from Gutta, so a lot of them there also they came because the Serian government they advanced with Russian support, and then these groups were brought by buses to the areas under Turkish control. Yeah, so these areas became a sort of like maybe it's a bad word, or sort of a dumping ground for all these Srian rebel groups that were not completely defeated but displaced by Serrian government and offenses with the Russian support. So I mean before they were an Aleppo and homes and Hamma and Damascats in all this group they were moved with buses through agreements between around Turkey, Russia and Syria to northern Syria to it and now these groups they are coming back because they were never completely defeated. I mean they had their own administration, so the Syrian Army they fall under the Turkish back the Cerian opposition I think they call it the Serian National Coalition or in Arabic the ital AF, so they have their own interim government administration in THEIRS on the Turkish control, and then you have the Salvation government under the Ahso the are t two different administrations. And they also doesn't mean that they agree with so so just calling them the rebels it's a little bit like, yeah, it doesn't really doesn't fit to the reality. But of course you also have to deal with the fact that for media, if they want to explain complex situations to a general public, it's very difficult to just say, Okay, you have this acronym, and you have this acronym, and you have the white and the Ahs and the SNA. So people they will lose their interest. So that's why it always becomes sort of this black and white. So, oh, you have the Syrian insurgence and then you have the Serian government, and then it's already complex enough to also add Kurts to the mix. So they also, of course often the Turkish government. They got very angry that the media keeps calling the YPG the curse because oh, they don't represent the curse. But you can't say that with any group in Syria or anywhere in the world. I mean, I mean you have in Americans, you have different political parties. You have different parties in Syria, you have different parties in Turkey. So these groups don't represent all the Syrians, or all the Arabs, or all the Kurts or all the Allwais. There are always different political factions and that's what it makes so complicated in Syria because a lot of these based groups got fragmented. But actually with versus the support of Turkey, they actually united on the one umbrella, which is called the Syrian National Army. And then of course even on the Syrian government side, there's many different groups. I mean you have you have Iranian back armed groups, you have groups from Lebanon that are helping the Hezbola Albani says Bola. Then you have Iraqi Iranian back groups that are supporting Syrian government. Then you have also Shias that were recruited from Afghanistan. And then also in the Syrian government security structure, I mean, in the past there was no room for malicious but they have, for instance, the NDF, which is sort of like a Syrian govern want back militia, which even sometimes part with the Syrian government itself when they tried to become become more too much powerful, sort of like what you haven't Wagner in Russia that we try to challenge the Russian government and then they got third bailed. So it's like even with a certain sort of the forces back in the Cerian army, it's not like so simple. It's also not you have just a Serian army that's it. You have also different kinds of militia, some supported by Iran, some supported by Russia that are backing the Syrian government.
Speaker 10: Yeah, everyone wants I think Ukraine has really reinforced this. They want war to be like colors on a map and a front line, and the front line moves and that's you know, and that's just not how like oftentimes there's little lines on a map will be in reality it's people driving around and pick up trucks with dishcas in the back, wondering where the other guys are and what's going on.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 10: It's not like Ukraine where you have trenches and people firing each other from trench lines to gradually move. And as much as it would be easy to have modelists, we we just don't.
Speaker 3: In Syria.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, sorry, it's different because of it's more there are more religious and ethnic groups done in Ukraine. I mean ucrin Is you have the the Ukrainians and the Russians, and I mean you also have people speaking Russian in other areas of Ukraine. But it's where it's much more complex in in in Syria. Althoio obviously also have different groups fighting in Ukraine, but in Syria it's a bit more complex and it's difficult for the media to get a grip on that without like you know, like trying to also explain to a normal reader of what is going on in Syria. But also in general you have all this international media that are cutting down costs and they're closing there for and bureaus. So also i mean the money for like extensive reporting in Syria is also getting less or in general in internationally speaking, yes, And then you have another problem is that you have the problem of access in Syria. So if you are wanted to go to the same government area is very difficult because if you have reported in Syrian rebel areas, the same government is not going to give you a visa. You have to be like very l Serian government if you go to the areas under rebel control to be honest, like, it's very difficult for any journalists to go to HDS areas or the Eran National Army area. So even if a journalist wants to report positively about the rebels, it's very difficult. Then they have like a press adcutation in Turkey and they have to cross the boarders very complicated, so there's barely in very rare cases journalists going into northwest Aria and then with the Kurdish controlled areas if you can call them like that, like northeast here, it's a bit easier. I mean, there are people flying to Iraqi, Curtistan and then they can get like a permission from the Kurdish authorities. They're in Iraqi, Curtistan and then they can cross the border. So it's a bit easier. But the number of journals going there is very limited, and most of the interests actually of the Western media was not so much about the cern conflict. It was more about this western ISIS woman and ISIS fighters that were jailed or held in in Northeast Airia. So most of the focus of the Western media was most of the time, okay, what's happening in the whole camp, because you have thousands of ISIS families there or in versus in the prison. So, I mean, the American journals were interested in US doash fighters, and the Dutch were interested in Dutch ices families are fighters, and the same for many other countries.
Speaker 10: Yeah, the British media is terrible for that. They'll go to northeast Syria and then talk about Northeast Airia and this our whole just exists as kind of a bubble outside of context in that reporting.
Speaker 8: Yeah, they just talk about Shamima Begoon and she became sort of a celebrity in the UK. Yeah, although I think even on that actress nowadays it's like very limited because a lot of the zer countries in the UK they have their own domestic issues. So also in general, the interesting in Syria has gone down a lot, and I think also with this current conflict and Aleppo, it will get some intention in the media for a few days, but at some point it's gonna go down again, yes, of course, and maybe there will be conflicts and other parts of the world again. So I think at some point also this media attention because the media attention for Sir already was like very low, unless it's gonna affect Europe in a large extent because it could also create new waves of refugees trying to go to Europe. Yeah, there's many people that were displaced. Again. It was a very nice post on X by one Journeys from I think a Saudi outlet, and he was saying it's very sad to see. He was basically saying like at any moment, our people can be displaced at any time or can be displaced again. So that's like sort of the life of Syrians that live in these different like front lines, like anytime they can displace, like the people at Traffreine they were displaced in twenty eighteen and now twenty twenty four they were displaced again. And then you have people displaced by the Syrian government living in the houses of kurts in Afrine and they're also victims of this conflict. So yeah, so it's a very complicated situation, people being displaced, moving in the houses of displaced and displace living in other people's houses that are also displaced. So it's like a very cynical and sad situation.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and a very very difficult one for civilians. And certainly, like with the changing government in the US, it seems unlikely that we will be reaching out to help those those displaced civilians in the near future. And certainly we've seen a lot of Kurdish people who have been displaced either by Turkish aggression or who there's a whole other situation with the Kurdish areas in Turkey at the moment and their elections and such which we don't have time to go into but many of them have come to the US, and I've interviewed lots of them for this show, so we've I think people will be familiar with that, right, I mean, I think that's probably about all we have time for. But I wanted to offer you a chance. You have very good tweets, you have a very good understanding of the whole situation. You have your articles do an excellent job of making it understandable. So where can people find your writing and follow you?
Speaker 8: Well, I mean I you can find my tweets on my personal the page which is on my name Lady Melberg at x Vivan Wrockenberg. And also I write for different outlets and think tanks like first As, I write for mid at least I fig form from the Washington Institute. Also, I've been writing some pieces for Carnegie, So yeah, I've been if we're writing for several places on the current situation. Yeah, and sometimes Side to Interview, Side talked on BBC a few times on the situation and Aduchavella. So you can find my work on my Twitter profile. Always post my articles there and yeah, yep, that's great.
Speaker 10: Is there anything else you'd like to maybe suggest that people follow I think it could be really easy to get a lot of propaganda when it comes to two sirius, So I think you'd suggest that people kind of get their news from well.
Speaker 8: I mean, I think in general x is still like a good platform. It has been from the beginning of the series Civil War, although of course you have different accounts, different views supporting different factions. So it's always good to verify any videos posted, although it's like more difficult to very five videos than the pictures, but it's always good to verify locations and the background of people that are posting stuff. And then also I think it's very interesting and good to follow the maps of the Serian Civil War because you have several places where they publish maps of the civil war, so it's easier to follow it on the map than by tweets or posts on eggs. But I think in general, I mean, I mean, there are still like many international media that are trying to do reporting on Syria, but I think in general what I've seen it's becoming more limited, and it's mostly based on, for instance, the Serum Observretory for Human Rights. Yes, so the same observatory for human rights. It's a good source. They have a page in English and Arabic, although sometimes they are the English pages are a bit difficult to follow for people if they don't know the background of the conflict because it's more written for locals. Yeah, and then also you have fends. There's this civil site organization that focus on human rights abuses. I think it's called Seriance for Justice. They are very good reports on the situation, but it's a bit slow because it's not like twenty four hours. I mean it's like they're doing investigative reports on abuses by all sides of the ceriin civil conflict. Yeah, so Johtal I think it is very grud And also like telegram, I mean a lot of these different groups they have telegram channels where they post the latest updates, but of course all of them are quite biased, but bias you will get anyway in such a conflicts, in over the war, so.
Speaker 10: Yeah, everyone's biased to a degree. You will see dead people a lot if you go following telegram channels to the certain civil war. So if that's not something you'd like to see, that's probably not platform to be on.
Speaker 6: Big Death.
Speaker 10: Thank you so much for your time. I know it's late with you, and we'll let you get to sleep, and we do appreciate you joining us, and hopefully people will follow you on Twitter and and get good information about what's happening.
Speaker 3: Welcome Dick had Happened Here a podcast that has increasingly become about it happening in other places in the world. I'm your host via wog with me as caare.
Speaker 8: Hello. Hello.
Speaker 3: So if I'm remember incorrectly, and it is entirely possible, I have forgotten several coups that I've covered. I think this is the second coup that I've covered in six months that feels right. And you know, when we last left the dumbest coup I had ever seen in my entire life. We were in Bolivia and it was a truly spectacularly stupid coup. That coup ended with the army running away from a bunch of protesters who were just like yelling at them meanly, so that one had I thing I've never seen before, which is the army that the protesters were trying to bring something up to break a barricade, and the army ran away before they could get the like anti barricade thing up to the police barricade, So that was a disaster. Today we are talking about what I having now studied this like since it was since it started, I genuinely believe this somehow is an even stupider coup than the last. Like I you have to go back to like the CIA coup in Venezuela where everyone just got that like arrested by fishermen to find a stupider coup than this, it is, and even that one, like at least they like landed guys with guns. It was over so quick, like yeah, I think the official number is that the amount of time the martial law was technically in effect before the Assembly voted to get rid of it was one hundred and ninety minutes.
Speaker 2: Like people could have like slept through this coup, which is really funny, right, I.
Speaker 3: Made an executive decision, right, and I was like, I'm going to sleep in for one more hour, so I woke up at eight am instead of seven am, and I missed like half of it because I was just iceleft for one hour. So let's let's let's get into a bit about what happened here because you know, as as dumb as this looks now, because it failed this was for people who don't know there was a there was an attempted coup in South Korea. I don't know what day it's gonna be when I don't know what day it's gonna be in Korea when this comes out, because yeah, but on on Tuesday day, on our Tuesday in like the the it was I think ten thirty night there the hideously unpopular president of Korea, Sok yel yun, tried to declared martial law. Une is. His approval rating is like half of Joe Biden's approval rating. Like his approval rating is like twenty percent. He is staggeringly unpopular. He yeah, so you. And he won one election in twenty twenty two, very narrowly, in a race where neither of the candidates were particularly good. And he is a hardline, far right dipshit. He's you know, I mean, one of his big things. He has this unbelievably hardline in North Korea, which is not you know, doing anything productive at all. He's also you know, and this is like if you want to look at like, who are his twenty percent of supporters left? He was the guy of the unbelievably unhinged Korean misogynist movement. I guess you would call them, who are some of the worst people on earth. I mean, these are guys who will just There was a court case recently that decided that you can't just like beat someone up for having short hair because you think they're a feminist. Like, that's the kind of like unhinged misogynists that we're dealing with. That's that's Union's base. However, a couple of things have happened since then. One is that he's racked by like a thousand scandals everyone in his in his cabinet. He keeps getting impeached for doing corruption. There are so many different corruption scandals with him going on right now that I was considering like reading out a list of all of them as a joke, but it's too long. One of the important ones is that he was like basically doing like a pay for play thing to like fuck with his own party's primary process. Nice and this has pissed off basically his entire party, which is great, which is exactly the thing you want to be doing right before you auld take the stage of coup, is piss off your own political party. So all right, let's get to the coup. He major problem, one of his very major problems is that he hasn't been able to do anything basically since he's been in power. And the reason he hasn't been able to do anything is that his first sort of like off election was this unbelievably crushing electoral defeat for his party. The National Assembly, which is their like parliament, is just straight up controlled by the opposition Democratic like Liberal well, okay, let me be very cific about this is controlled by the opposition Democratic Party, who are the sort of like Korean Liberal Party and also a bunch of like minor allied opposition parties, and they keep on again impeaching all of his cabinet members, which is very funny. You know, he was trying to get a budget through and the budget got eviscerated and he hasn't been able to do it. So he's been very very angry and very frustrated, and so his plan apparently to deal with this was just to knock out the National Assembly.
Speaker 2: This is so funny because like, because of who I am, I was talking about this at the bar last night, just completely insunderable. And the one thing I couldn't put together is like what his exact motivation was besides like rooting out like political enemies.
Speaker 3: No one knows that he like.
Speaker 2: Labeled us like quote unquote anti communist, right, But let's like we were talking about, like how funny this all is, and like I still can't quite understand like why he did this.
Speaker 3: No one news like this this is Jenny Why, Like nobody has any idea why the fuck he thought this would work? Like the best thesis and we'll get to this a bit. The best thesis that I've seen is that he wanted to do this because he was pissed off with the fact that he hasn't literally been able to do anything his entire time in office because he's really mad at the National Assembly and also his own party, And.
Speaker 2: It's so funny to do that and then have that be underscored by them like be like, oh god, no, actually you can't do a coup. No, no, thank you, nice try legally you cannot koubi.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like the I think the the semi serious part of this is that it doesn't make any sense to me how this could have been done if there also wasn't a faction of the Korean military that wanted this. Right, the Korean military is I mean, most of Korea's history still to this day, but I think I think it's still a majority of the amount of time South Korea has been in existence has been under military dictatorships of various kinds. There's been a whole bunch of them. They were staggeringly hideous. They killed unbelievable numbers of people, they tortured unbelievab numbers of people. They were full back by the United States, and the military has also always had this real chip on its shoulder about sort of liberal civilian politicians, and they have their version of like all of the conspiracy things that we have about how all democratic communists and how they're all like secretly et cetera, et cetera. So for this is like they're all secretly North Korea supporters, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 2: Right, And this is something I was also seeing yesterday people being like, oh wow, when did South Korea become North Korea? And they're like, oh my god, that's so that's like what a weird like orientalist racist comment. This is this is the most South Korean thing to ever happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is like military coup and then military coup being overturned by protesters is the single most South Korean thing ever, right, Like, this is just how South Korean history has been.
Speaker 2: Having the fucking Assembly have to like break in in the middle of the night to vote.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's so funny. It's just it's Yeah, we're gonna get to the actual details of it a second, but I want to I want to go back to what was actually in this declaration of martial law. So the Korean constitution does let you declare martial law, but you're only supposed to do it if there's like a war going on, or like.
Speaker 2: If there's like an actual crisis happening.
Speaker 3: Yeah, instead of just like I'm mad I can't pass my budget, which used to be what was happening here.
Speaker 2: You feel bad on a Monday night and you're like, oh, I guess i'llnucular martial law.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so okay, I'm gonna read some I'm gonna read a thing about what was going on here, about how unhinged. This was from Hawkura, which is a Korean media outlet. Quote Commander park Ensou announced quote martial law Command Proclamation number one, which, by the way, that's how you know you're dealing with people who have done this before. When when they start doing their like Decree number one, Decree number two. Oh yeah, that's that is an that is an experience the side of like very very experienced military coup people announced martial Law Command Proclamation number one based on the contents of prohibiting all political activities of the National Assembly and local assemblies. The acclaimation also included contents that controlled the press and publications and prohibited citizens assemblies and demonstrations, as well as strikes and workstop wages by workers. It is also notable that it included the content quote all medical personnel, including residents who are on a strike who have left the medical field must return to their original work within forty eight hours and work faithfully, and violations will be published in accordance with the Martial Law Act. Now, it's important to note here if the thing you are trying to do is impose martial law on Korea according to the Constitution, and obviously if you're in the state where you're opposing martial law, the law has kind of got out the window. But you can't get rid of the National Assembly. That is not a thing that marshial law allows you to do. With In fact, very explicitly in the Korean Constitution it says that like the National Assembly can't be gotten rid of by martial law. So this suggests to me that, yeah, this was something that was also being sort of spearheaded by parts of the Korean military. Because if you're not someone in the army who has their own interest in doing a coup, and someone asks you to just like overthrow the parliament, which is a thing that they're not allowed to do, you just say no, which which also makes the failure of this and how unbelievably stupidly it was all put together even more baffling, right, because if we assume that parts of the clicks in the army had to have been involved with this, and like we know and this only FPR talks about Un is like fucked right. There's no way he's holding onto power. He's screwed and he's gonna be That will make him the second Korean president in seven years to be ran out by mass protests, and dream the last set of politicians who were getting rid out by mass protests. The army actually started drafting like procedures for how they were going to do a military takeover to like to knock out the protests, and they never did it. But this is a this has been a thing that's been in the background for a long time, and the liberal the liberal establishment has been talking about how the right wants to bring back military rule for ages. This is a situation that in some ways is similar to Brazil, where the right has always been a sort of like, we like military rule kind of thing, but nobody actually seriously thought they would do it until they did. And you know, I'm gonna read one more thing before we go to ads here, which is he claimed that the National Assembly was quote the mastermind behind the downfall of the country, which, okay, that's pretty normal coup stuff, quote monsters and quote anti state forces seeking to overthrow the system. Now again he has just described the National Assembly, which is the Korean parliament as quote anti state forces seeking to overthrow the system, which now gives us the specter of the Anarco Parliament.
Speaker 2: I do wonder how much of this type of stuff is influenced, like by Trump's victory and like the enemy within rhetoric. I'm not sure how much influence Trump has, I know, guess a degree of influence like pop culture, why something in Japan. I'm not sure of his influenced in South Korea, but like in terms of just like geopolitics, like that's very similar to the type of like deep state enemy within rhetoric that like Trump used to success. Yeah, I not to like tie everything back to America.
Speaker 3: But like this like subversive shit is like stuff that you can trace back to like the original dictatorship. Right, Like this is a very very old, long running thing in Korean politics. Okay, we will get to the coup after I guess we get to a faction that didn't back the coup, which is the Korean capitalist class.
Speaker 2: So here are some ads salute to our comrades.
Speaker 3: We are back now. I will say it is true that this whole thing folded so quickly that we never really got a chance to see how the Korean capitalist class would have reacted, other than the fact that all of the newspapers immediately were like, what the fuck are you doing? So it's also worth noting if you're trying to do a coup, right, there are four things that you need to do. You need to arrest your senior opposition political figures. You need to seize the radio stations that this includes you know today, like newspapers, TV stations.
Speaker 2: Like podcasts obviously, you know streamers.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, we're a vital part of the media infrastructure that must be controlled.
Speaker 2: I show Speed or whatever his name is, he has to come under your control. You gotta get Aiden Ross locked into cage fast fast.
Speaker 3: I think Speed would have fucking gone just gone sicko mode on their special forces guys, given how just like unbelievably their asses got kicked. You know, you have to seize the airports and you have to take the major government buildings. Right, So how many of these did this coup manage to do? They did like zero, right, They sort of kind of took most of the National Assembly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that last and what like an hour?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Well we'll get to that in a second. So it seems like what we have reporting from the Democratic Party of Korea. They claim that the military attempted to arrest the head of the National Assembly, the head of the Democratic Party, and then also the head of the PPP, which is People's Power Party, which is Yun's own party. So he tried to have the head of his own party arrested by Korean special forces, and it didn't work because none of them were at their offices.
Speaker 2: It's so funny because they kept putting out they think arrest worts for like, but like the opposition party his own party, and the Assembly was like, oh.
Speaker 3: Tryser And you know, they did legitimately shut down some news outlets and that was it. You know, that was sort of genuine.
Speaker 2: I saw reporters like fucking like fighting with the military in the streets.
Speaker 3: It was sick. Yeah, well, this is why this is such a bad idea, right, Like, in the words of a football commentator whose name I'm forgetting right now, who had the greatest cast light at all of human history. Oh, no, disaster, what a idea like? I okay, just just from the logistics of this, right, pretty up on the list of countries you don't want to try to hold by by military force is South Korea. And there's a lot of reasons for this one. You know, you're dealing with like one of the largest GUESTI bases in the world. The other thing is like, this is an entire country of protesters and capitalist protesters, very scary. Well, but like everyone fucking like fucking everyone in this country either like was a protester when they were a fucking kid or was one now to the extent we're like liberal members of parliament know how to build barricades. It's so cool. This actually matter enormously, like like fucking guys who are just like random aids where and there are videos of this of the of like just like random staffer guys like holding barricades from like against like paratrooper units and like like just random staffers like shooting fire extinguishers at army special forces units. Like can you fucking imagine that shit in the.
Speaker 2: US, Like it was very cool to see.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like this is this is why this is such a terrible idea because everyone has a whole bunch of institutional memory and experience of this, right, not just because you know the Democratic Party, right, which is which is the party that this was largely targeted at most of Like the elder statesmen of this party used to be Korean student protesters, Like they are all veterans of the campaigns that brought down the military government. And it's not just that there's like a there's a memory of it. It's like there are a protests outside the National Assembly like every fucking day, right, Like again, the last time they brought down a prime minister with maths protest was seven years ago. This is a whole country of people who know how to do this shit, and for some reason these idiots were like, we have no popular support whatsoever, and we're just gonna be able to like roll over this entire country in one night. So I think the plan was to hold the National Assembly and prevent the National Assembly from convening so that there was nobody who could override the martial law order.
Speaker 2: Yeah that sounds pretty basic, right, just to keep them out of the building so that they can't do anything.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So they failed, easy, right? Oh oh no, they failed? Yeah. So so the thing that the problem here again is that you're dealing with an entire country that has been doing this for fucking ages. Right, So they did this at like ten thirty at night, and immediately what happens is just like a bunch of drug guys in bars like show up to the National Assembly. Like the moment I knew it was doomed, was there. I was reading in the New York Times they had an interview with this guy who showed up. This is again the part I'm I'm talking about this being a country of protesters. Like these guys aren't like leftists like revolutionaries, right, this Like one of the guys they were talking to the New York Times, like their journals on the ground, pulls over a random guy and he's a sixty year old real estate agent. Right, this is a guy who should be like, this should be the base of a military coup. Right. This is a sixty year old man who doesn't real estate it and he heard about this and immediately his life was quote, this is the end. So he drove for a fucking hour at like one in the morning to show up to the National Assembly to go fight the army. There was just no way this is good to work. And so people, even though it's really late up, people just flood out. And suddenly there's all of these protesters in front of the National Assembly and they're doing shit like there's this unbelievable video of this soldier like tries to take a guy's phone, and this guy has some kind of e martial arts trading. It just grabs his arm and just spins him around.
Speaker 2: The coolest thing.
Speaker 3: And the guy just like I'm just like, well, fuck, guess I'm not dealing with this ship and there was such.
Speaker 2: Like a resignation. Yeah, in the movements of that military officer be like it's just like, well, shit, we could keep fighting, but why like yeah, what's the point? Like why am I out here? It's midnight? I should be in bed. What's going on?
Speaker 3: And like and part of this too also, and this is this is a smart decision by someone, is that these guys weren't issued with actual bullets. So when I say these guys and this is this is the you know, the actual loving part about this is that these were largely Korean paratrooper units, and Korean paratrooper units are some of the most unhinged like fascist troops in the entire world. Like, these are people who didn't just fight in the Korean War. A bunch of these guys fought in Vietnam. Like on the American side. They are notorious as the people who the military has always used to sort of put down protests. One of the most famous examples of this is the Guandra Uprising in nineteen eighty, which was a pro democracy uprising after one of the various stages of insane military coup stuff was going on in South Korea in nineteen eighty and there's a large democratic uprising from sort of students and workers. There's a bunch of strikes. They take this area and the paratroopers come to shoot them all. They killed probably several thousand people, and a lot of the paratrooper units that were deployed to take the National Assembly were literally the same units that were sent into crushes uprising in nineteen eighty, So this was in some ways very very scary, right because these are like, again, these are the units that were sent in to shoot a bunch of fucking civilians in the streets in order to keep military rule intact. However, this time these para units just got their shthanded to them. So it's sort of unclear exactly what was going on in the National Assembly. It seemed like some National semi members were still there, but somehow, and we don't part of how this happened, which is protesters were just there's a video of I think it was like the opposition leader. The protesters like like pushed him up over a fence so he could break into the National Assembly and get past the military barricades. Like like one hundred and ninety lawmakers somehow like got into the National Assembly and barricaded themselves in.
Speaker 2: This also shows a level of like dedication. Yeah that I suspect none of none of our lovemakers would do. No, they're not gonna they're not gonna break into the capital when it's surrounded by military guard.
Speaker 3: You know, we had this with January sixth, right, and like what what what did our congress people do dream January sixth they all ran and hid.
Speaker 2: I mean these are slightly different circumstances.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is true, but like but like you know, okay, so if if you look at there's been a lot of shit talking of the of the American people's willingness to protest and stuff in the light of like watching the Career, and people overturned this coup in like three hours. And I will point out that in twenty twenty, this was this was literally four years ago. Like we put the President of the United States in a bunker. People fought the Secret Service hand to hand outside the gates of the White House. Like the police in this country lost control of the centers of several major American cities. So like Americans will fight, right, but can you imagine like Nancy Pelosi or like like Chuck Schumer or whoever it was around like trying to set up, like setting up barricades to stop the army from like marching into Like no, it's unreal. And these were good barricades too. These were very well constructive barricades. These are barricades that like are better than a lot of barricades I've seen set up by protesters over the like in the US over the last few years. And the consequence of this was that the National Assembly just voted for the coup to be over, because they can just vote to say that the martial laws over. And then the military kind of was just like, well shit and just kind of left.
Speaker 2: I mean they waited in the wings for a little bit. Yeah, and we were all curious to see what the president was gonna do after this. Emily was like, uh, nice, tryser and I guess we will talk about that after another message from these ads.
Speaker 3: And we are so back. We are so back. It has never been more over for President UNI. That is true, it has never been more over. So part of the weird part about this is that you just like vanishes for most of this, Like we don't hear from him until like the morning when he announces that he's going to roll back the martial law thing, but he needs his cabinet there to do the vote, so he's gonna do it later. I don't know. But the troops have already all pulled out by this point and like they go back to their barracks after the National Assembly is like what the fuck. So there's been a lot of haymade about how one hundred and ninety members of the National Assembly showed up and every single one of them voted to end martial law and like that's cool. But I've seen a lot of people be like, oh, look at how democratic the PPP, which is the right wing party that UN's a part of, is from, like they voted to do it, but like, okay, yes it was. This was a unanimous vote. I need everyone to understand that there were three hundred members of the National Assembly and that means that means one hundred and ten of them didn't show up, and that of the people who showed up, there were only eighteen members. Yeah, of the PPP who showed up to this now, and part of that, like it is true, it is. It was a bit difficult to get through the fucking military occupation fit with paratroopers but everyone else you have managed to, so you know, and UN's own party also just hates him because again, like one of the scandals he's going down for is like fucking with their primaries and like getting a bunch of people who had safe seats, like losing their safe seats so he could put his guys in. And again he also tried to arrest the head of his own parties. So like, these people don't like him for very immediate person or reason is not because the PPP is somehow like a party more committed to democracy than the Republican Party is here like no, these people all suck, like, oh god, But this leaves us with the aftermath of this, and the first thing I want to kind of go over is what the fuck were they doing? Because again, if you look at the sequence of events here, right, there's this coup, right, the martial law goes into effect, the army backs it and tries to occupy the National Assembly, but then the National Assembly votes that the martial law is over, and then the army just leaves. Now what if you go back to remembering when I was talking about the beginning of this, right, seizing the National Assembly is not something you are allowed to do in a state of emergency or a martial law in position, right, that's something explicitly the army is banned from doing. They did it anyways, which means that like probably like a bunch of generals are also going to prison for this. But then they also immediately back down when it be came clear that you know, they were gonna there was going to be resistance, and that if they were going to try to stop this, they were either wouldn't have to beat the shit out of or just like actually shoot a bunch of lawmakers in the National Assembly. And I understand that that's a bad idea, and I get why these people didn't want to do that, just like from their own things politically, But if if you weren't willing to do that, why did you do this in the first place? Like, how did you think this was gonna go? The only thing I could think of was that they thought they could just should have. I thought it was ten thirty at night, we can just shock and awe everyone. Yeah, we'll just roll them over. But like, do you know what country you were in?
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, it's a massivest calculation. That's what makes this the worst Cup since Bolivia.
Speaker 3: I think it's worse in Bolivia.
Speaker 2: Oh, absolutely, because like it shows a complete like disconnection from understanding the country that you're in.
Speaker 3: What were they doing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like the willingness of the people to like get mobilized at ten thirty, yeah, and the willingness of your own lawmakers, uh, to try to put like some level of resistance to this, even if it's not like physically fighting the art, which is something that I ended up doing, which they did. They fought the army, Like, ah, what a world.
Speaker 3: And also with Bolivia too, you know there's other Okay, so a with Olivia, there's a lot of debate over where that coup was real or not. I lean towards it was. There's a lot of people think he was staged. But also if it wasn't staged, the excuse they have is that the general who was leading it was about to get fired, so he just had to go, right. It's like, well, yeah, okay, it looked like a completely half cocked coup because it was they just they had to go before he got fired. This one, there was no time pressure. He could have just done this whenever with better planning, And I don't know it's it's all very very deeply weird in terms of what's happening next. I mean Yun was finished anyways, Like he again he had a twenty percent of proof of rating going into this. Coming out of this, there's immediately a Democratic party is trying to impeach him, Like a bunch of the PPP, who's again supposed to be his party, are also going along with it because they hate him. There was some very funny comments from PPP guys who were like his supporters, who were like, well he literally one of them said that he did this thing and as anyone thought about like the pressure of burden placed on him, maybe someone should have gotten to talk to him or did this because he was lonely, which is the most insane thing I've ever heard of my life. Like he just he just tried to argue that this guy you need a coup because he was lonely. What the fuck?
Speaker 2: It's the in cell evolution. It's finally happening in South Korea.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and like he is going to get impeached. The only way he's not going to get impeached is if the judiciary steps had to save him. And I can't imagine them trying it after again, he just tried to do a coup. He's going to prison, like probably his defense secretary is going to prison, Like the Defense Minister's going to prison. Probably a bunch of military guys are going to prison. Like this is it's so funny. They have just effectively annihilated their own political power for a generation. Like this faction of people who have been running the country is just gone. I mean they'll still be the PPP, right, this will be like conservatives, but like, they just have obliterated themselves in maybe the most spectacular fashion I have ever seen. And you know what happens when they are sort of unclear? Is it right now? We're recording this Wednesday, Yeah, Wednesday at like ten am. Yeah, so it's it's unclear exactly what's gonna happen in the time between when this when we record this and when this goes out, but uns finished. This is it's pretty yeah, and I'm I'm hoping that we see a serious attempt to actually like deal with the fact that the army is ran by a bunch of people who tried to do a coup. We won't and we might well no like it. Here's the thing in the US, absolutely not South Korea. Maybe there's a chance, there's like a there is a slight chance that people get purged from this, right and in a similar way to like Lula kind of purging some of the army.
Speaker 2: My South Korea does good things card is to already full up because of yesterday.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 2: I can't imagine they're gonna you more because it's South Korea.
Speaker 3: Well, I will also say, like one of the things that's happening is Korea is like major trade union federation is like doing a general strike until until the impeachment happens. So you know, there was a lot of pressure to clean house here, and like a lot of Korean liberalism is based on this, the sort of mythos of like of the student protesters, and like the protesters, you brought down the military dictatorship and trying to do a military coup and immediately failing is like the best possible thing you could have done for them. The consequences of this for you and are going to be extremely bad. I hope we get a better Korea out of this. I hope this sort of starts to stem the tide of the unhinged right wing surge that's been happening there for a while now.
Speaker 2: Be n I said this was like the tip of the bell curve. Yeah, in the global far right takeover. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean it's wow, it went bad. I may every single right wing attempt to do this go this because good lord, what.
Speaker 2: A heartwarming tale.
Speaker 8: Yep.
Speaker 2: Well that's that's been it for us today. You're at It could happen here. Tune in tomorrow for more exciting tales of political collapse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and quite quite possibly, quite possibly, this is going to happen to you too. And I want everyone to understand that in terms of military cues in the last six months, the protesters are two to zero in the army's zero and two. So if this happens to you soon, Whitchie very much might go get them. Welcome to You could happen here a podcast that is quite often about abortion in this country. I'm your host, Na Wong. Things have been very bad under the last administration and the administration before that, and the administration before that, and going back a long long time, things have been not good. They've been steadily getting worse, and there is a lot of fear, and I think a lot of is very justified that things are going to get even worse under Trump, and to talk about what we need to be afraid of and what we don't is Kate Bertash, who's the executive director of the Digital Defense Fund, and also Crystal, who's an abortion worker and also a volunteer for abortion hotlines. So both of you two, welcome to the show.
Speaker 11: Excellent, Thanks for having us on.
Speaker 12: Yeah, thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm really excited to talk to you both, and I'm also excited to let Kate talk a little bit about what the Digital Defense Fund is.
Speaker 13: Excellent, thanks so much, longtime listener, first time caller.
Speaker 11: I suppose.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 13: The Digital Defense Fund is an organization that's been around for actually since the last election. It was started in response to Trump winning for the first time, and we're an organization that was put together to provide free digital security and technology resources for the front lines of what then was just the abortion access movement. We've since moved to support other variety of autonomy and liberation movements, but we provide free digital security evaluations trainings. We do a lot of project management work to help people set up what they'd like to change about their systems and security and we also help people pay for it, which is a really wonderful way to get to kind of see through our values. So I'm excited to be on here today to talk a little bit more about the implications for both organizations and individuals.
Speaker 3: The very first wave impact of this election has been a lot of sort of fear about what's coming, and I wanted to, I guess, ask you about what kinds of fears you've been seeing and maybe talk a little bit about which ones are more justified than others, because I think, I mean, there's been some concern that I think is justified as good, and there's also been some stuff that is kind of not rooted in what the threats are.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I think it's a great time anytime this happens to sort of get to ask and answer the question, which is like how do we know? And I think we're sort of lucky in this way that we know what are likely to be risks now to both people who are seeking abortions as well as people who help them get their folks as well, like Crystal, I know, will provide some additional color to this as well, But we know what kind of threats face people facing abortions in those who help them, because unfortunately a lot of these threats have been happening for the last several decades, people have been prosecuted for suspicion of ending their own pregnancies. We get a lot of really incredible and insightful data from organizations like IF one how who put out these reports that are called self care Criminalized, and they look backwards across all of the different cases that have happened to this space and try to come up with sort of like these key aspects. And one of the big things that we know that I'm sure we're going to talk about a lot through this episode is that the core way that people come to the attention of law enforcement for seeking to allegedly end their own pregnancies is through usually someone they know reporting them or someone responsible for their care. So that might be like healthcare worker, social worker, other representative agent of the state, and it can be really devastating to kind of hear and I think internalize that it's often people's family members like X or friends, neighbor who might turn somebody in expecting or misunderstanding that it is a crime to end your own pregnancy. I think one of the things that's really hard about this is that it involves some of the ways in which, like I guess it's what you would call very unfortunately typical policing practices, the way in which people's rights are violated when they are interrogated, when they are pressured into disclosing information. There's something called consent search that it unfortunately ends up being a very common feature of these kinds of cases, which is where you're put in a room and you're talking to representive agent and state or a police officer, and they sort of pressure you into agreeing to unlock and disclose often your phone and other device or to or whyse share information quote unquote voluntarily. And it's easy to see why people kind of get pressured into that. So that is something that tends to happen in many kinds of prosecutions of crimes or alleged crimes. And I think it's hard for a lot of people to imagine what that's like to be pulled over and searched in this way, or like they're often like people are not the targeted victims of something like stop and frisk, and so it's sort of hard to imagine in your mind the way in which somebody is information or their data or their case comes to the attention of law enforcement, and so we like tend to then imagine these other threats that feel perhaps closer to our daily experience, especially as like often people who are not racially targeted by police, who are not targeted by the family policing system, or have their pregnancies surveiled by the hospital systems. So people like to imagine then that. I think a big one that we all hear and I think we're all going to take a deep breath at the same time is period tracking apps was kind of remarkable, as Crystal.
Speaker 11: I'm sure you've heard this too, mm hmm yea.
Speaker 13: And I would love to lease space, Crystal for you to add any context to sort of like the threats that are that are present versus stuff that people imagine. I know we're going to spend a lot of time talking about our friend, the period driver.
Speaker 14: So at the time of recording, it's been like about almost a month since election day, and uh, you know, I answer the phone for a couple of different places, places for both work and volunteering, and there's been a lot of fear, you know, and not saying that like, abortion access has been without fear up until this point, but people are very afraid. And you know, I'm getting a lot of questions about people asking like can I be arrested for giving you my information, funding in my ID, giving you my real name? Ordering medication online? Can the United States get my records if I order from this provider overseas? Such as women on web and just yeah, people asking like can I be arrested?
Speaker 12: You know, can I do this? Will I be in trouble?
Speaker 14: And it is something that is going We're going to see an increase in criminalization and increase in abortion bans. It is a complicated answer, you know. The strait of it is that yet you can access abortion medication online, even if you're in a band state, even if you're in a state with a total abortion ban, you can order the medication from reliable resources online and have it mail to you. And people do this every day, hundreds, hundreds and hundreds of people do this every day without any issue. But there is also risk and it's kind of like what Kate was saying, where people tend to it seems like people don't know what the risk has been or what it looks like because like Kate was saying, there's like I been all these years of pregnancy criminalization, and we know what it looks like, and it tends to not be what people are worrying about right now, where people seem to be thinking like that the police are going to come up arrest them for putting in this order along with hundreds of other people in a given day, or that the police or somehow are going to get their period tracker information on their on their phone, and you know, like, of course, you know, practice dicial security in a way that makes you feel comfortable. Like if you don't want to use a period tracking app, you know there are safer ones to use, or you don't have to use it. But the fact of the matter is is that even if you are using pen and paper to record your period, if you have an abusive partner, they're going to be able to take pictures and collaborate with police. So the biggest threats are always, you know, as the data shown, like Kate was saying, going to be healthcare workers and the people that you know such as partners, family members, neighbors, friends, et cetera, who are going to get access to pictures, screenshots.
Speaker 12: And of course, the police and warrants.
Speaker 14: It's not going to look like the Handmad's sale, where somebody's like coming in and going and forcing you to do something and.
Speaker 12: Dress a certain way, et cetera. It's not going to be like anything new and fancy.
Speaker 14: It's going to be the same old police surveillance and criminalization that we've been seeing. But there are ways in which we can protect ourselves when we're doing that. When somebody calls and they ask me, can I get in trouble for ordering this medication online? And people can get really in trouble for anything in the United States. You know, if the police want to go after you for something, they're going to find something, So you just have to not leave evidence. Like so, yeah, you can order the medication online, but you can also use signal and we can know that Kate's probably going to go more into this, but you can make sure you have disappearing messages. You can use encrypted emails and search engines. You have to make sure you're thinking about who can see your data and you know where your data is being recorded. And that's really like if you want to protect yourself in terms of avoiding criminalization for abortion and pregnancy outcomes and you know, having a secure and safe abortion in the United it stays. Then you have to look at the basics like this, And I'm going to let Kate talk about that a little bit more because I know that you have all the good information that the Digital Defense Line has looked into about the apps and then how to delete data and what data to delete and how to think about this.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I think one of the really tough things right is that, like so like neither I or Crystal or attorneys, but often people are just getting a lot of advice from attorneys, and some of our work here is to make sure that like when you get sort of this idea of when something might be criminalized, or often like in this circumstance where we just like don't know actually how it's going to show up a lot, yet we're trying to think about sort of what are the ways we can have our digital devices and our technology sort of support us with these by default type of settings. One of the things that's really tough to I think understand until you've been through it is sort of like what it looks like when you go through any kind of investigation. I think the other hard kind of like context to get from the way we talk about it now is that a lot of how pregnancy is criminalized that sort of scaffolding that infrastructure was built during the drug war. So one of the most common kinds of pregnancy criminalization in America is drug testing people who are pregnant or come to give birth without their consent. And you know, so we basically consider like being an alleged drug user to be the sort of like primary way that our decision of like how much the digital evidence matters has like kind of come to take shape. So often when an investigation is happening, the police will look for where are all the sources of information I can find about this, because like the human body is like not super compliant with like digital forensic evidence.
Speaker 11: Every dadiary processes.
Speaker 13: I think it's like one of the most magical things about humans is that, you know, our bodies defy the letter of law in so many wonderful ways. But that means that they sort of have to then go to this like digital body of evidence to kind of tell the story or as like all the wonderful lawyers that advise us, like to say, to sort of like be able to draw the dots or the blndes between the dots and form this kind of like coherent set of facts of what happened between one moment to the next. So often when we're like imagining all of the data that lives in our phone, because unfortunately, in many cases, when you are perhaps coerced into consenting to the search of a device, they will often take your phone and then have you unlock it. It gets plugged into a device that makes clone of the entire drive, and then they can sort of with many different techniques kind of leisurely look through it for keywords to kind of tell where there might be evidence somewhere on your phone that you, for example, when on the internet, search for and purchased abortion medication. So yes, like period track and data might be one portion of that. But unfortunately, in all the cases that we've seen, or at least in most of the ones that we're most familiar with, all of that quote unquote plain text data. So where you've just written out in your own unencrypted words into a search bar in the search engine on your phone, or you've sent a text message to a very close contact with somebody telling them how you feel about your pregnancy. That you desire to end it, perhaps your plan to buypills, even the receipt that comes into your inbox. It's not necessary then to go to all these companies and go file a you know, for a warrant and get all that information, because now it's in just plain text, quote unquote on your phone, and that is far more information than the like abstract information that might come out of a period tracker. So unfortunately cops don't tend to use these in cases that we've seen because it's quite simply not necessary. That kind of like plain text admission of your state of mind or the statement of your intent has unfortunately been the sort of core evidence that comes up. And I think this has like a lot of like really quite sad implications. I know, in prior to prepare for this episode, we were discussing a couple of cases that I know folks might be more familiar with. A big one that came up is, you know, the case of a mother and daughter out of Nebraska who were having a discussion around allegedly helping the daughter to find and end for her pregnancy over Meta's Facebook messenger. And I think what I find really quite devastating about it for many reasons, is that these messages were actually ones that like I think any of us could hope to have with a very supportive parent or other person in our life. Is like, why we have, you know, these conversations so that we can feel connected and supported through such a complex and affecting process. It then becomes very sad to me that it becomes a criminal matter just because it was in a place that that conversation, you know, Meta did not have this family's back in terms of encrypting those messages or ensuring that they were free to speak of what they wish when they wish by default. So I think like when we start to give out advice, it's been important for us at Digital Defense Fund to kind of work backwards. I know it's been an existential crisis I think for everybody in the digital security space to know that like the list of advice I could give you on how to protect yourself when going through these transactions, or when seeking support, or like just having a normal you know, questions and going on the Internet being able to google them and get them answered. That we have to kind of like start from the basics, because like you have the right to find information from reliable resources. You have the right to buy pills from a reliable source. You have the right to like seek that kind of connection and support from people in your life. And so we're trying to cut down on like all the infinite amount of advice that we could give and try to like narrow it to like what is actionable, what has the greatest impact potentially in the cases we've seen.
Speaker 11: And I know we're going to dig into it, but I would love to.
Speaker 13: Leave room to tack a little bit more about that whenever, it's a good time in this conversation to go through our top three action items.
Speaker 3: So before we get to that, unfortunately we are under capitalism, which means we have to do these ads. Moving back shortly.
Speaker 12: And we are back another lawsuit. This is a little different. It's not a criminal charge.
Speaker 14: It was a lawsuit in Texas, and I want to bring up just as an example of like, how are you know our data can betray us.
Speaker 12: In these moments?
Speaker 14: Is there was and this was a really silly lawsuit has been dismissed, But there was a Texas man who filed a wrongful death lawsuit accusing three women of helping his exoife obtained abortion pills.
Speaker 12: I believe. I think it was dismissed last year, or.
Speaker 14: Maybe it was earlier this year. It wasn't even under the aid and event in law in Texas. It was actually, you know, they say, sought a different avenue. There actually hasn't been a successful lawsuit against an abortion seeker under Aida bet law or any other law in Texas in the last two years, which I think is just something worth bringing up, is that, you know, we actually haven't seen that happen yet other than this case.
Speaker 12: But what happened in this.
Speaker 14: Case is this person was planning on terminating their pregnancy. They were talking to some friends who were helping them out, and their iPhone was synced up to their iPad. So if anyone's familiar with that, you have your your I messages appear on both devices. The I messages that are coming to your phone are also going to be going to your iPad. And her ex husband took pictures of the I messages coming through on her iPad, and that was what was used. Even though the lawsuit was dismissed because it was a very silly lawsuit, total waste of time. But that is the kind of thing that we really you really need to be asking yourself, is you know, where are my messages going?
Speaker 12: Who is seeing my messages, who is seeing my emails? What is it connected to?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 12: Because yeah, because it can just look like that too.
Speaker 11: I would say that's exactly right.
Speaker 13: Is I think I had a good friend who works in another area of security who and this is like how we learn these things, right, is that folks who work in the parts of security that deal with, for example, intimate partner violence or the sort of quote unquote in household surveillance threat model I think is vastly underestimated. I can't recall the figures at the moment, but one of those more recent reports from if one how actually had detailed just how frequently actually that sort of like how it is also this like intimate partner violence situation that comes up also in a regnancy or abortion criminalization case. And so you know, this person challenged me to think about the exact threat model of the unlocked iPad on the on the family coffee table and thinking about like when we share information and we share devices kind of like where does it go? So like, actually, our first piece of recommendation that we often give is is it can sound deceptively simple and it doesn't sound technical at all, but it is to think about like who you are telling about your experience and about like you know, your abortion or wanting to have an abortion, and then understanding whether you've like been clear about your boundaries, like do you expect them to not share or tell with others? Like can you delete any messages with them? Would they ask if you ask them after the fact to delete things for you, would they absolutely do that? I think you've can be really challenging to kind of like zoom out and realize, like you know, it's often not as easy as it sounds to like kind of do this mental inventory and think about all the different ways that like me and my best friend talk, or you know, when I mentioned things to people offhand, we don't have a really good I think like social practice of you know, understanding the implication of like sharing other people's information without their permission, and so, like you know, it's very impactful but also very difficult, and it can't be very individual for all of us to kind of think more carefully about with whom we share things and how we ask people to keep our confidence, and how we can even offer each other the ability to like delete things that we don't want to exist indefinitely. I think one of the biggest sort of existential struggles that crosses over to where people get support for abortions from like organizations, also includes the fact that I know has been discussed many times on this podcast, that there is a difference in how much information is kept depending on where you were having a conversation on your phone. So an SMS text message, those little green bubbles that go back and forth between you and possibly other people who are on iOS like iOS and Android combination conversation you're friends with and an Android might have a green bubble come back to you. That basically means that that is going as an SMS text message to your phone carrier, and that means that it's going quote unquote in plain text, totally unencrypted to the cell tower, and it's being held by that phone carrier, unencrypted, readable as it is as you typed it in as far as we know forever. It can vary depending on whether or not you move to a different carrier. But unfortunately, phone carriers have a very long history also of disclosing that information readily on request, either from law enforcement or from other agencies, and I think that is troubling. I think, like no person would really like to know that, regardless of what that you intend to do with your text messages. But it's why we often then encourage people as like sort of a second step to try and use encrypted chat with Signal or another trusted and encrypted chat. Again sounds overly simplistic, but I think having those disappearing messages on, especially between people who are seeking support from one another, whether it's somebody in your life or another organization that's helping you to get your abortion, there really is something to that ability to again speak freely, to be best friends, helping your friends you know, allegedly get abortion medication, or to being a mom you know, there to support your child. No matter what, I think, it's just something really wonderful about how using disappearing messages with Signal like reflects the values that we actually have already with each other and just like make sure that technology companies or corporations or law enforcement don't get to get in the way of how we want to live our lives.
Speaker 14: So yeah, yeah, so really supporting somebody through an abortion includes digital security.
Speaker 12: Yes, same with providers to people who are answering the phones. Digital security is one of the number one priorities.
Speaker 14: And yeah, if you're supporting somebody with an abortion, that should be your number one priority as well.
Speaker 8: Well.
Speaker 13: And like I bet people like you know when when you talk to people like you're often I imagine one of the first people that they're expressing themselves to it all about what they're going through. And you know, I know that that the point is to help people get to their procedure, but often they're bringing a lot of other things with them and they're not sure.
Speaker 11: If they're important.
Speaker 13: I remember, like you mentioning this, but just the amount of weight that is for y'all as a sport too.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and like people are scared for good reason.
Speaker 14: You know, we do live in a fascist country and a police surveillance state, so you know, their fears are founded, but there are a lot of excellent resources. They're not alone, like you know, you and I know this case, but there are so many people who's got the back of everyone who needs an abortion, and you know, you may not know the safe way of going about it, but there are people who are committed to digital security and safety. And you're in you're and you avoiding criminalization, So you know, part of the service is also reassuring people of that too, that it is possible to have a safe abortions.
Speaker 12: Even still, the next thing that.
Speaker 14: I know that we were talking about Kate in terms of like really practical, like what you can do now to protect yourself is having a plan for when you need to go get health care and you have to interface with like a medical team, a medical site such as an er a clinic.
Speaker 12: I'm an obgyn, a doctor of any kind.
Speaker 14: Because I think I believe the number one source of criminalization like who's reporting who who is criminal? Like who's calling the police, who's reporting these and giving over the information is as often healthcare worker.
Speaker 12: I believe that is the number one source.
Speaker 14: So you know, you do that is something to keep you to I am a healthcare worker, but it's just it's just a fact that that's something that we all need to be mindful of. And as a patient somebody is seeking healthcare, it's completely appropriate to be thinking of your own security and your safety when you're if you need to access health care. So you know, one thing is that luckily abortion is very safe and very effective, and if you don't feel comfortable going to an er for very good reasons. There are many good reasons to not want to go to r including costs, including your safety and security, the chance of criminalization.
Speaker 12: There is a free medical resource and a free legal.
Speaker 14: Resource that you can call. I'm going to talk about the medical resource first. There is the Miscarriage an Abortion Hotline or MA hotline dot org. But you can call and get some you know, feedback from a doctor about Hey, do I even need to go to the er?
Speaker 12: Is this normal?
Speaker 14: Is something wrong? You actually can run that by a safe person before just going to the er. And that's like one example of like having a plan, you know, like Okay, I think I might need.
Speaker 8: To go to the er.
Speaker 12: You know, let me check with a trusted resource.
Speaker 14: Let me check with the Miscarriage and Abortion hotline if I can get some feedback on what's going on with some of my symptoms. And you know, it's like this extra kind of added support that you can access as a pregnant person or you know, if you're having a miscarriage, if you're having an abortion, to assess your risk and to see if you can avoid even going to a medical slight given that you know, going to an emergency room in a banned state is something that does increase the risk of criminalization.
Speaker 13: Yes, and I think it was from our peers M and a hotline, and then I know the other hotline that if you have questions, also, the repro Legal Hotline is a wonderful resource that I know in all the show notes will include these. We try to include along with the miscarriage and Abortion hotline, so you have folks you can call who are professionals to ask about medical questions. If folks you can call who answer questions about legal questions about your abortion or pregnancy experience. I know that it's really hard because often when folks are in a hospital setting, we're sort of socialized to disclose everything. You know, we want to tell our doctor what's wrong and tell them everything we took, and you know, you worry it might be relevant. But I was reassured, I think by many other professionals in the space that doctors treat based on the symptoms that you present with, regardless of how they got there. You might be at a physician where you don't know, so you know, if you just tell folks what's going on with your body, what you are seeing, what you were feeling and experiencing. It is their job to treat you regardless of what you choose to share. And I would say that that's actually a true regardless of what healthcare condition you come into the ear with, it is your right to only disclose as much as you feel safe doing so. So I think, like that was something that I know, again we're not used to thinking about that as like a digital security measure, but it is an information in security measure, and I think an operational security measure that you know, we've had to like then realize that that's actually probably almost more important to tell people before we start getting into this nitty gritty of like things to do with your phone, is to understand that those principles that we believe that you know, the human again, the human body is very varied and how it experiences something like pregnancy, miscarriage, and abortion, and that you know, folks have a responsibility to treat you regardless of you know, what's in your phone or what happened before that, or the like statement of facts that are relevant to a courtroom and not to your care.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, do you too have anything else you want to make sure the audience knows before we head out.
Speaker 11: Yeah, just kind of like.
Speaker 13: One more piece. It's kind of our last piece of the puzzle, So you know, just to reiterate because I know it's good to hear things repeated again, you know, with the actual kind of pregnancy criminalization, digital security advice, we talk about understanding who you're disclosing stuff too, making sure they are clear on your expectations. Try to if you can have conversations with them in a secure place or a private place like signal with disappearing messages on. For our second item, we're going to make a plan for if we need to get care after the fact and ensure that we're trying to again have our support people. Also understand that you know, doctors treat you based on the symptoms you present with That is I don't have to tell them anything else that you do not wish to disclose. And the third thing is that something that I think as digital security practitioners we kind of forget is super important, which is that like you know, I think I run into this conflict where as like experts or smart people, we try to like imagine in our mind, like how we would have this perfectly like footprint free abortion, you know like this like use signal, use Tori's bitcoin, kind of like strange way of architecting, you know, privacy in our mind, And I call it the ghost abortion, like that it's it's a myth. You can't have one. There's no such thing as an abortion that leads no footprint. But I think we forget then that it actually is super meaningful to delete what's within our power to delete. So our third recommendation for folks is to like be aware of what's collected and then ensure that you know that.
Speaker 11: You can delete your browser history.
Speaker 13: You can delete your Google Map's history from like driving in to the clinic. You can delete your emails, you can delete messages on certain platforms, and I think, just like understanding that deleting what you can is actually super meaningful.
Speaker 11: Well, I actually didn't know untill.
Speaker 13: I got this job that certain platforms, like even Google products, like if you delete something from it, it is purge from the servers like something like two and a half months later. So when you delete stuff, it's very meaningful. I think there you get more options than ever to decide like how long you want to keep something, And it does make it so that that primary thing we talked about, like if somebody were to take my phone from me and to like you know, make a clone of it and try to look through it, at least it's deleted. That copy is no longer on my device. Even if they would have to go to like you know, get a warrant later, that is still great. It still gives me and my council time to respond and also allows me to access my right to do process. And I think so like these are like these three simple things I know that will give to link that our guide that kind of puts this all in a row and very plain language. We also have a Spanish language guide for it as well. But just to know that, like you know, these things are within our power. I think it's really easy to get tangled up in the idea of like abstract data and things that are really tough for us to always know when they're generated, like ad tracker data or you know, who is reselling or doing something with my period tracking apps. There are great options that are local only to your phone, like Yuki app. If you are concerned about that other apps seeing whether or not they use best practice of security. If they've responded and said like how they would respond to a legal request.
Speaker 11: That's awesome.
Speaker 13: I think that just sort of taking that uncertainty away is great because tracking your period is really important. As Crystal would tell you, it is an essential way that you're going to know how pregnant you are and find the option that's safest for your circumstances. So yeah, and that I'll pass to Crystal for anything else you think our folks should know before we depart.
Speaker 14: Yeah, tracking your period is important because if you don't know what's going on with your period and you get pregnant, it can delay your care.
Speaker 12: And you know, optimally you're.
Speaker 14: Getting the safest, quickest, most comfortable care for you, right, so it's really good to track that.
Speaker 12: I use Yuki.
Speaker 14: What I love about Yuki is that it has a pass code, and it stores everything locally and you can set to autoda your data and I love all of those things. So you know, and you know, I don't like using my paper calendar. If you love using your paper calendar, go use your paper camp, you know, whatever you want to do. But it is very important to know when your last period was because it can just make your care more timely. And that's really important given the abortion restrictions and the abortion bands. Now we are only you know, admittedly they're going to get worse. This is going to get less safe. There is going to be greater risk of criminalization. So when people call, when people call and they ask like can I access pills.
Speaker 12: Yes you can. You know, no matter what Trump does.
Speaker 14: You're going to be able to get abortion pills. There are countries all over the world that have total abortion bands and they have these abortion.
Speaker 12: Pills all the time. You know, it's not new in America.
Speaker 14: But you know, you do have to have a digital security plan while you're doing that, Like so, yes, you can order pills online, but yes, also have a digital security plan and keep this stuff in mind. It's really it's part of your healthcare plan now.
Speaker 13: Yeah, because you have the right to use safe, accessible, common sense like amazing technology products to actually obtain the abortion that you want. We really really do believe that like that part of autonomy. It includes digital autonomy as well as bottle of autonomy. They're all part and parsonally can't have one without the other. So thanks for having us on.
Speaker 12: Yeah, thanks theah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I want to close with one more thing that is related to this, but it's also what general advice. Don't talk to cops. Oh god, you know, I think that the common thing people say it is it is legal for them to lie to you, And that is true, but it's not just that as legal for them to lie to you. It is their job to lie to you. You cannot trust a single word that comes out of their mouths because it is their job to get you to confess to a crime or to get information out of you. They'll let you confess your crime, so invoke your right to remain silent, get a fucking lawyer, don't talk to them. And you know, listen, this is advice. It's not just coming from me, right like this, This is the advice you will get from every single person who does who does any kind of from offense. This is what you'll get from a public defender. This is what you'll get from anyone who has even sort of interacted with the legal system. And this is also true even if they tell you, oh, you're not a suspect, you're just a blah blah blah. We're trying to get information. It is their job to lie to you. Think about it roughly the same way of like if you're dealing with like a country secret police. How much information would you give them? The answer is do not. Simply do not do this.
Speaker 13: Exactly, and you know, no, no matter what that there are people again like Crystal Sapho will support you. Yeah, there are amazing teams across the United States, from medical support to legal support. We're there for you and they would all, I think wholeheartedly endorse as do we. Yes, please do not talk to cops. And that's a great note to end on.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, thank you to you both for coming on. And maybe we live to see a world better than this one where you could just do this stuff and not have to have any concerns.
Speaker 12: Yeah, one day, but until then we can do this very securely.
Speaker 11: Yes, we got our own backs. We can do this together. Thanks for having us on.
Speaker 1: Hey, we'll be back Monday with more episodes every week from now until the heat death of the universe.
Speaker 11: It could happen.
Speaker 6: Here is a production of cool Zone Media.
Speaker 1: For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website coolzonmedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts.
Speaker 2: You can now find sources for it could happen here, listed directly in episode descriptions.
Speaker 11: Thanks for listening,