Speaker 1: Some of the content in this podcast may not be suitable for all audiences. Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 2: It's time for another episode of Patriots Dynasty doc Recap. As we do a wrap up show of the Patriots Dynasty documentary, Matt Smith along with Fred Kirsh Paul Perillo like to so it's episodes three and four.
Speaker 3: We've seen the.
Speaker 2: Patriots win their first Super Bowl, but before we get to them winning their first super Bowl, there was a look back at a coach that took them to their second super Bowl in franchise history. Fred, were you surprised when you saw Bill Parcell pop up on.
Speaker 4: News a little bit? Yeah, like, oh wow, they got Bill Parcell's you know, and that goes you know, they did a lot of work on this thing. It was good to see him, and I think that he got right to the point that they took away the draft to me and there was no way I was coming back to the Patriots. But you know, I think from a story storytelling standpoint, they wanted to go back and show you know, Crafts first go around with the team. It didn't end well with a great coach and it was a learning experience for Craft, but I thought that was really cool to see him on camera now, not back then, but now talking about it.
Speaker 2: And as the years have gone by, we've been led to believe that the border war is over. Right now, this is Darth Vader on the phone and everything's honky dorry. It really isn't honky dorry if you listen to what Bill Parcells is. I was not coming back as a Patriot once they took the draft away from it, right that was it.
Speaker 4: I was done.
Speaker 3: I thought this was kind of oddly placed. I didn't really feel like this had much of a place in the dynasty, understanding that the team itself, the players themselves, a lot of them were parcels guys that they come from those drafts. But you know, the Border war being over was that was after no I know this. Yeah. Like so when Parcells says I wasn't coming back, that was in ninety seven. I'm saying didn't end until long.
Speaker 4: I know, But Parcells said it now, So you would think that, like throughout all this time, maybe he you know, because.
Speaker 3: This is what I don't like about it, That's what that's what you think. Parcells thinks he was right. Kraft thinks he was right, No, I know, but anything to do with the story. Really, I just thought it was odd.
Speaker 4: I know. But since then, like Parcells has said, you know, I did some things and he's kind of softened it. But in this documentary we're talking about that, he made no bones about it. I like that. I like that he you know, that was the case back then. Like now I've softened. I like Robert Kraft. Now we're friends, blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: But at that time they've moved on, ye all.
Speaker 4: But clearly he's not.
Speaker 3: He's not.
Speaker 4: He's not going back on that, and they took the draft away. That they took the draft away, and I like hearing that twenty four years later or more thirty years later, you know, that was that was cool.
Speaker 2: They took the draft away from me with somebody that didn't know what he was doing.
Speaker 4: He was very pointed, Well, it wasn't. He was not sorry talking about Robert Craft. He was talking about other people.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, they wasn't talking about Robert Craft.
Speaker 4: He was talking about Bobby probably Andy.
Speaker 3: Right, And he was right.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: It's funny to me though, because this is one of the great debates of like this, Bill Parcells belonging to the Patriots Hall of Fame. Is he part of the story of the dynasty, Well, as far as this document is concerned, yes, he is.
Speaker 4: They took the draft. Well, who drafted all those great guys?
Speaker 3: Probably think Bill Parcells.
Speaker 4: They didn't after they took it from him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, there aren't. Andy after he got the draft taken away from him. Terry Gleam was the only one who did anything. And would you get a year out of him? I mean, I mean the results speak for themselves. So so you know the tie laws, the Teddy Bruski's, those were all parcels.
Speaker 4: So they took one pick away from them.
Speaker 3: They took one draft away from him. That's it.
Speaker 4: They took one.
Speaker 3: Then he left, they took one, and then they had three years of terrible drafts.
Speaker 4: Well, let's not again.
Speaker 3: This is proving my point that it didn't belong to the story. It's useless.
Speaker 2: So, Paul, I'm gonna come back to you because I think one of the things that I heard you talk about that was impressive to you in this episode is Teddy Bruski really kind of defining from a culture standpoint, who will best embodied the patriot way and what was that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And he talked about Drew and his selfless attitude and sort of accepting as one hundred million dollar quarterback that it's not always going to work out for you, but you have to kind of do what's best for the team. And the thing that really stuck out to me is, obviously, I'm the Drew guy here on this panel, and I am not embarrassed by that. I wear that that proudly. I even as a Drew guy, had always sort of been under the impression Drew did what he had to do to get by and not upset the apple cart too much. I don't think it was perfect behind the scenes. I think Drew had his problems, but what Bruski is telling you is, considering the circumstances, he was pretty perfect behind the scenes, like he could have been an enormous disruption. And yes he was disappointed. Yes, earlier in in the in the in the I think one of episode one or two, he said, no, you know, the shins off the nickel, I'm going to get my job back now, right. So, yes, he always had that mindset and he wanted to play in the super Bowl, but he didn't destroy everything, and he could have.
Speaker 4: And you know, he did go to Robert Kraft and he did bitch to Robert Craft, and Robert Kraft went to Bill. So he did do that, But he could have made it a lot worse. Right, he could have made it a lot worse.
Speaker 3: I thought Bruski's comment like that was kind of the Patriot Way was born.
Speaker 1: Teams stunning first stunning to me.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, when you never point in Drew's direction, and when you talk about the Patriot Way, and I know that that's, you know, term that that some people like, some people don't. But for him to point to Drew, I just I found that incredible. And but but I think he was right, you know, and I had never heard that.
Speaker 1: No, neither did I.
Speaker 2: Right, And I will tell you, And they recount this, and Drew does a really good job of recounting it. I remember being outside of Belichick's office. We were told, have a crew outside of Belichick's office. He's going to make a decision. He's bringing Tom and Drew and he's going to inform the decision. And they both walk out. They both go their separate ways, and Drew was pissed, and he said he was pissed. What's interesting to me is with all the evidence that he had of how Tom had sort of taken over and they won all these games. I came into the SC Championship game. I studied the ship. We're here at the Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: Why aren't I the starter? And as he said, that.
Speaker 4: Was a bitter pill to swallow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was I mean even during a flipping it over, I mean even during the game after they won the Super Bowl. That the footage of of Drew and Tom's interaction and you can just kind of feel that resignation and Drew of like, yes, I'm happy, I'm happy for the team.
Speaker 3: You're the man, Tom, You're the man twelve. You're the man twelve.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 2: There's another interesting thing that happened in that first Super Bowl that I think a lot of people enjoy here in New England. We saw bon Jovie talk about it, how we got chills in seeing the Patriots introduced as the team.
Speaker 4: Paul right.
Speaker 2: But I but that whole story of how it happened, I found is interesting because, as you guys know, because you were here, they did that periodically. I think they some people think they did it every single week during the two thousand and one season. It started when they lost.
Speaker 3: To the Big definitely did it in Cincinnati, right, Yeah, and so.
Speaker 2: It became newsworthy because they did it on this stage.
Speaker 4: Right. And what did you think of that whole moment? Well, you know, remembering what it was like back then, I loved it. And I you have some insight on this. I thought it was a decision that the league was pushing them to go out as individuals, and they made a decision right there that no, no, no, we're not doing that. But you know more than I did.
Speaker 2: Well, I can just tell you what his perspective is in an interview that I did hit him. Bill Belichick in an interview with him in twenty sixteen, and he said the league came to him midweek and said, Bill, we need to know is it offense or defense that's coming out. We've got a minute thirty scripted in here for you to introduce a team. He goes, we need fifteen seconds. We're going out as a team. And the person the legal I don't think you understand. This is the Super Bowl and you have to designate whether you want your offense or defense to go out. And Bill goes, I don't think you understand it. You can do whatever you want. We're going out as a team, and we need fifteen seconds and Bill was the one. Now was that not communicated to Teddy Bruski because Bruski seemed surprised in the documentary when he goes I heard a scream in the back. Teddy's got a nice flare for the dramatic too. I heard a scream come from behind and say, no, we're going out as a team. And it just sort of really romanticized the whole thing, which I thought was good. But I think they knew they were going out as a team on Wednesday. If it's the latest, Yeah, I like, who knows, Like obviously you know what you know. But maybe Bruske didn't. Maybe they were hearing, Oh, the league's gonna make us go out as individuals. We want to we don't want to do that.
Speaker 4: Maybe up until that point the team wasn't or at least Bruski wasn't sure that they were gonna be able to do it. And then he heard that and it was like, Oh, we're going at it as a team, you know. I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think there's another edite team to get.
Speaker 4: Teddy Bruski on one of the later wrap up shows and.
Speaker 3: Ask him, right.
Speaker 2: I think there's another entity that was played here, and that's television because Fox did the game that might have been Fox's first Super Bowl by the way, and they're used to this is going to be a big show. We're going to introduce these guys individually, and they were saying, no, not as a team. This is boring. It's not as exciting. We want ray Lewis dancing out into the center. We want Marshall Foch doing all that stuff. You guys remember Gary Gridecci. I think Gary Gridecky who was on the field in that position. They were scrambling still a little bit like the league still at the at the eleventh hour was pushing no, you guys need to be and.
Speaker 4: That might have been part of it, like the players weren't sure that we were going to be able to still do it. They were going to force us to do it, but they they stood true and I love that. I mean, I hope they never give that up. You know, I know we have a new regime here and it's drawed, and you know, maybe they look at it an opportunity to redoce some things and change the way they get it.
Speaker 2: I hope they they continue to come out as a team. Right, you're watching and listening to Patriots Dynasty doc recap. As we're talking about the Patriots Dynasty documentary, and as they end episode three, super Bowl thirty eight is kind of an aftermath. They show a field goal maybe oh yeah, they want to.
Speaker 3: Right thousand check out podcast.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that they spend a little bit more time on super Bowl thirty nine, but they use super Bowl thirty nine the way well, but they use that to say that here's where the addiction comes into play, and that both Pioli and Bruski Mike talk about the narcotic of winning and how you'll do almost anything to win, which Matt Hamat checked. The director and the Dynasty team do a very good job of a cliffhanger because where they're going for episode for well.
Speaker 5: They're going to Spygate and the Lean Years, the ten year Lean Years. I was surprised, I mean, the twenty one game win streak, you know, just I don't know. I think that that point could have been made a little bit better about what kind of made this team special, because especially you know, coming off this two thousand and three stuff that that I did, that we all did that, you know, celebrating twenty years of that season. You know, you remember how special those teams were. And I think that that's just, you know, something that's getting kind of left in the wash because we're trying to tell a bigger story here.
Speaker 1: You know, we're trying to tell Like you said, Matt, this was not about who these teams kind of were.
Speaker 5: This was about the bigger picture of how this team began to view the league and how the league began to view them, and what kind of came to transpire a couple of years ago.
Speaker 2: Fred, what I mean, so my kid on that, if you're a football purist, this might be that's not Matt Hammichick's style in this. Yeah, Matt Hammachick's style in this is to accentuate the drama the director. Yeah, but there was drama that they overlooked.
Speaker 3: I totally agree, Fred, this is a big miss to me. They missed a lot of drumas they missed.
Speaker 1: Harrison Maloy.
Speaker 3: Harrison Maloy, the cutting his hands. Brian Kinchin, do you remember how much tension there was going into that Super Bowl?
Speaker 4: Right, yeah, I mean this team hates their coach with Tom Jackson, hunts, you know, all that stuff. They they I get it, you only have so much time you have to make editorial choices.
Speaker 3: But that was a big thing. I couldn't agree more. The Lawyer Malloy thing alone could have been fifteen minutes. I mean, that was an enormous thing. Tom Brady. So we come off of a couple of episodes where Tom Brady's explaining how he went to quarterback school with the head coach and how instrumental the two were. The next year, he's growing a beard in protest of his coach. They boycotted the coach to the point where Tom Jackson is saying they hate him. Right, drama nothing, Yeah, we got nothing on that. So we can set up spygate. And I'm not saying they shouldn't have done spygate.
Speaker 4: Well they should have done twelve episodes. Well that's what I mean. They won.
Speaker 3: I don't even think it has to be just a football purist. They won twenty one games in a row. It was it's a record, right, and we don't even hear it. They didn't even mention it.
Speaker 2: So the underbelly of This Dynasty comes into full fruition in episode four and it's Spygate. Well, Fred, how did you think that they handled that?
Speaker 4: I thought they did a good job. I mean, if you're looking for like stuff that you didn't know before, you're not going to get it. Like Ernie Adams, they interview him, He's not going to tell you anything. Bill's not going to tell you anything, you know. And I think there's a lot of people that they didn't talk to that we think maybe they should have such as well, like they didn't talk to Bears Nazarian, who is right by Bill. They didn't talk to any of the video people, you know, they you know, like there's a lot of people that were involved that they didn't talk to. And players, Like what did you guys think about all this? Brady? Brady, maybe they asked him and he refused to answer, and they didn't put it.
Speaker 2: In, but they not sure they got the Belichick question and to ask him.
Speaker 4: They didn't have not one comment from Brady on Spygate.
Speaker 3: You have one more guy, yeah, Eric Mangini, Yeah, Like how do we not hear from him? You know, this is another part I'm sort of I went in with kind of modest expectations of the whole project, and then was really encouraged the way it started. And I'm sort of kind of declining here as we get further along. And this is one of the things you said it, Fred, did you learn anything? Nope? And I don't think someone you know, Johnny Appleseed and des Moin and Iowa didn't learn anything about spot Well no, but this spygate that they gave us is stuff that absolutely everybody knows.
Speaker 4: But but well you say that, but and we're in it. But there's a lot of people who were just becoming NFL fans, are very casual fans of the time that I think will find, you know, this episode intriguing.
Speaker 3: Well, but that's a history lesson for someone who didn't experience it. I'm saying, someone who experienced the NFL, I know six knows everything that they But I think.
Speaker 4: You know, again, the craft of this I think did a really really good job here, you know, starting out with that cop from New York who was at the meadowlands that day and inclusion, I really do why Well, he starts off by talking about how he was undercover with the mob and you know for many, many years and even though you're with all these bad guys, you had to betray them. That was your job. And even then it made him feel bad, you know, like I had to get out, Like I just didn't feel good about myself because of all the betrayal I had to do. Okay, why are we talking about this? Well, now you find out later on when the Manginie part of the story comes up, and it's very clear that Ernie Adams and other people in the organization felt that Manginie betrayed them. He ratted them out. Who said, had somebody used those words peoli?
Speaker 3: I think, when you leave, don't don't don't make a mess. Don't make a mess. It's family. It's family, when you leave, don't make a mess.
Speaker 4: And so that's why I thought tying in that cop story made sense to me.
Speaker 3: Only if you're going to talk to Mangini. Well, otherwise maybe they tried, but then you should say something you like to acknowledge it somehow.
Speaker 4: That's they weren't doing those editorial notes. That wasn't the.
Speaker 3: Style, you know, thinks.
Speaker 4: But you know the other thing that they didn't really touch on that we know is that Mangini went to the Jets and just that mere action said that he was a trader like you could go anywhere in the world. But at that time and probably still to this day, but especially Bill hated the Jets by the way they talked about him on the way out of New York. And you want to talk about border war, there was a huge border war with the Patriots and the Jets, even after Parcels left there. And the fact that Marginie left here for any other team would have been okay, but he went to the Jets and that really pissed Bill off. And then he does this.
Speaker 2: That was his first mistake, just take accepting that job.
Speaker 4: Right, And then he does this, and as Ernie Adams said, and I don't feel I'm taking all the oxygen out of the room. But as Ernie Adams said, we weren't doing anything that anyone else wasn't doing. We just did it in a different way, in a better way. And I know people were videotaping us.
Speaker 2: Ernie said that, Mike, were you surprised at how you know? Ernie said, he said, look, some of you shing you have to take to their grave, right. But seconds later in the documentary he sort of justified the act. Were you surprised by.
Speaker 5: That, No, because I still felt like kind of pauled it, like I don't gel like we're dancing around it. And I still, you know, and again as a fan who really was I don't know what the word would be.
Speaker 1: I was devastated when this all happened.
Speaker 5: Like I was, you know, a sky high Patriots fan at the time, and oh my gosh, I'm so excited for this season, and you know, to be to be totally frank watching these first four episodes, the first two, it was a reminder of what a joy and a thrill it was early on. And the Spygate episode was a reminder of some of the crap that you put up with as a fan that you didn't really want to be defending the wall or having to say everyone, your team's a cheater, your team's a cheater.
Speaker 1: It sucked. It sucked as a Patriots fan.
Speaker 5: And and I'll tell you I was online fighting the good fight just like a lot of people were. So I was a little bit disappointing. I think what I would always love to hear, and I would love to hear just Ernie Adams, what do you do? What do you do with this footage, Like, you know, I would really like to know just what do you do?
Speaker 3: What is the point?
Speaker 1: And I mean, I think the thing that I always got to is that you know, they're trying to bake teams. Note we're doing this.
Speaker 5: You have to change your signals and you're constantly putting another team on. I never really bought that, like in game they were doing it. But I'm still wondering the same exact things I was wondering in two thousand and seven as to why you would do this and was it widespread and taping or you know, what was everybody doing? Like what you know what I mean, like what was the exact mechanism that all these teams were playing for?
Speaker 4: This was probably a hobby, yeah, oh, I know, probably like a game for him, right, like we're screwing with other teams.
Speaker 5: We're making it hard on them. They know we're doing it. They're kind of doing it too, like you know, I just I don't think anyone can as ever explained.
Speaker 4: He's like bringing in the Native Americans in World War two and deciphering the Japanese codes. You know, yeah, just like that, you know, But for Ernie, it was like this was fun for.
Speaker 3: Him, So I guess I would. I would sort of summarize my thoughts on these two, you know, like so because of the controversies, which was so juicy, we had to gloss over two titles in a twenty one game winning streak, not to mention other drama that Fred talked about, and you give us nothing like okay, so you didn't get Mangini. How about Mike Tannembaum. How about somebody who can offer me some sort of perspective as to why and how this happened instead of I'm going to take it to my grave and I already talked about that in the past. That's the comments you got from the Patriots on the record I'm taking it to my grave, from Ernie, Adams and Belichick telling you I've already talked about it.
Speaker 2: I do think Ernie just to add one thing, and I think Ernie justified it that everybody was doing it.
Speaker 3: But that's what they said then. I know that it was done to us. I don't remember him. I don't remember him saying I'll take it to my grave then, but they said everybody else is doing it, I was saying it.
Speaker 2: I do think they also that the the people who put the document together. Fred talked a couple of times here about the craft c R A f t of putting this together. And I thought some of the audio montages that they did where you heard national voices, sometimes recognizable.
Speaker 3: Sometimes locals.
Speaker 2: Spygate one was really good. Those were really, really well done. It wasn't you know whoever saying these guys are cheaters. It was the national media talking at wit about these guys they're cheaters.
Speaker 3: My favorite ones just.
Speaker 2: Credit what they're doing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Fox one one Bradshaws, like you know, and this calls into question Jimmy Johnson's at the.
Speaker 4: End, Well forget I didn't use this one, but Scott Pelley at the time anchored the CBS Evening News, and I'll never forget listening to him. Are the New England Patriots cheaters?
Speaker 5: He led off to broadcast with that different scamp. Okay, you know, I was gonna say, Paul, just a piggyback on what you said. The the Jimmy Johnson thing with with Terry Bradshaw was a great cut I thought was they went back and they showed Bradshaw next to Bill to one of the Super.
Speaker 1: Bowls and kind of hugging him, and.
Speaker 5: I just thought that was a great, great cut, great you know, just illustration of how things it's said exactly what they were trying to say. They went from the darlings, the underdogs, the you know, the sweethearts of the NFL, to now the villains and uh.
Speaker 2: Next level nerd and next level nerd my excellent observation. One of the thing that I remember at the time, the big deal that was the armand Katayan interview. Oh wow, armand Katayan is gonna sit down and talk with Bill. This is the one time. And I remember at the time thinking, gee, I don't think there was really much there. I thought Katayan did a really good job holding his feet to the fire. I think he did to His questions were really solid.
Speaker 4: Yeah he didn't and he didn't let him go. No, you know, he wouldn't, you know, he pushed back.
Speaker 3: I think he did it both be true, there wasn't much there because Bill as always does a great job of just giving you the farm stiff arm but Army Katayan asked every relevant question you could ask, right, And.
Speaker 2: I think for Patriot fans that were fans during that period, or people who were new uh to the fandom watching that interview, and they ran a considerable amount of it in episode four. I think that that's pretty, you know, very very interesting use.
Speaker 4: Of that old footage.
Speaker 3: I thought that was terrific.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so what was the reaction to Spygate. You know, the national media has labeled the team as cheaters, and the documentarians did, in my opinion, an excellent job of introducing the guy that was gonna make it all go away, and that was Randy Moss. Fred What did you think is all that?
Speaker 4: I thought that was one of the most dramatic moments of the first four episodes. First four episodes is when they said, you know, we needed that, you know guy that would I forget the exact word that opened up the field, that playmaker. And then they pan over and it's just Randy Moss looking into the camera and it's like, you got chills because you know what happened immediately on this team when he came on it.
Speaker 3: So I looked at it in it was It was an interesting because when when they're giving you all those collages of all the national people kicking the crap out of Belichick in particular, but the Patriots to Mike's point of that's where the defending the wall started. You know, Michael Holly, who's you know, been around forever and very been very close to his team. He says the rules don't apply to them. Yeah, and I think Bill looked at and said, yeah, f you right way. Do you see what we got for you next year? And that's where this panning of to Moss comes from, And like you get like a peek inside of what must have been going on in Bill's minds, like, oh, oh, we have to cheat to do this. Wait, do you see what we're going on you this year?
Speaker 4: And I wrote down when I was what they went to war they went.
Speaker 2: To and the recreation of the deal Mike, where they went back and forth with Moss and Belichick. And we've talked earlier that it doesn't look like maybe this was the most important thing on Bill's dance card at the time to do this interview. But I think you saw a little glimpse of he actually enjoyed talking about how that deal went down.
Speaker 1: I mean, give me more Randy Moss and Bill Belichick, Like can they.
Speaker 3: Do a sitcom together?
Speaker 5: I mean, anytime in history there's been interactions of those two guys. It's hilarious and I mean it's Randy, but I thought that was one of the times that Bill, you know, opened up a little bit, was a little bit of storyteller Bill, And I mean just you know, for me again as a fan, remember Sonny McClain's Santa Monica bar watching Week one against the Jets, in that first play that Randy talked about where.
Speaker 1: Me and Paula are looking at each other doing that.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, I mean it was you know, it was it was so exciting, and I mean it's just it just brings me back.
Speaker 1: As a fan to what a season that was.
Speaker 5: I mean, everything good, everything bad. It was like you just can't even really explain it. You know, every week they're hanging fifty points on teams. You know, I remember like them talking about all the Bengals can take, you know, like each week you.
Speaker 1: Kind of talk yourself into one team.
Speaker 5: But I I I thought they did a good job, you know, just capturing the the f you mentality of that.
Speaker 3: I loved. I loved Moss's comment about family. You know, that was something that was really looking for. Yeah, you know, that was something I was really looking for. And then just an assault you're talking about, you know, Sonny McLean's just selfishly. Those are big show days for me. Those were ei days with Glenn Woodway and that crew, and I would go in and like you, I don't know, like I don't know why they're running up to score every week. I mean, it's just seemed like Joe Gibbs, you know, a guy three Super Bowls were running up the score every week, and I was just what do he was soccer mom, That's what they used to call me, the soccer man. Like, they're not running up the score. You gotta stop. Oh, oh contraire because Teddy Brusky comes in and tells you flat out we were running up the score and why because bb was pissed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was really insightful. I like war comment lest anyone think differently as to what they were doing. I thought Bruskie yieled it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And the other thing I thought that was pretty poignant was how the team thought about Bill. Bill was getting his ass kicked. Yep, they were kicking the crap out of him, you know, from weft coast to West coast, you know, uh, they were, they were killing him. But the team rallied around him. And he was ours, he's ours.
Speaker 3: How do we feel about playing for Bill Belichick? Robert was one of the ours.
Speaker 2: Right, And Robert Craft also accentuated that by you know, Moss talked about family and how we mentioned that to Robert Craft, and Craft himself said, we were here. We were here to protect Bill's reputation, and we wanted to protect Bill's reputation and that's why, Hey, find me, find him, don't you have to do. Don't suspend him.
Speaker 3: Okay, we're gonna rally around him and we're gonna protect him on this. Yeah, and the team did right, so like crazy, and then back to the you know, like the way that season unfolded, and it was early on when they just started laying waste to everybody, right, I was thirty eight, fourteen thirty. They were averaging again, you know, yeah, well like ten weeks into the season, they were averaging forty four points a game, not like three weeks in, you know, and you started saying, this team can go undefeated. And it was about halfway through. You know, Andy Hart, who used to work with us, was before that.
Speaker 4: We were doing the show in here and ESPN was on the monitor, and all of a sudden the scroll and there was a tab for Paige.
Speaker 3: Patriots undefeated and real ticker. Wow.
Speaker 1: They got their own tab.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: So we start country. We start talking like that, right, and we're talking in those terms, and you're like, well, I wonder what the tea What was the team thinking? They started playing another one Bite to the Dust in the locker room, which was phenomen after after games, more great footage. Oh yeah, you know with Teddy going over, you know, and we had heard it, Fred, you and I because the biggest game that year by far was at Indy. You know that that November sweets kind of game where both teams are always the top of the league. Brady Manning Cults are up ten in the fourth quarter, they come back and they get two touchdowns and they win the game, and they're rocking another one Bites the Dust on the plane on the way home. Now, Fred and I are thinking at the time, we probably shouldn't talk about it. I probably don't want this out there. Little do they know they were doing it in the locker room every every week, after every game.
Speaker 4: And the other thing that made me realize is how grateful I am for Teddy Brusk because you know how tough it is to play for Bill, and if you don't have somebody like Teddy who can do that, you know, despite Bill, no one would ever be able to play here. You needed a guy like that to keep it, even to give the other side, to tell the other guys it's okay, it's okay, we can celebrate.
Speaker 3: It's a really good point.
Speaker 4: Thank God for guys like Rabel and Teddy Bruske to be on this team.
Speaker 2: So those are the highlights of episode four. And we all know how episode four has to end. God, and that was the low light. But even with the low light, there was a couple of shining examples. I thought, Paul you and I talked about this. I thought Strahan was un believable.
Speaker 3: I thought he was really really good.
Speaker 2: And Fred you talked about Bruski. I thought Teddy really brought the whole thing full circle. We're witnessing that today where Patrick Mahomes is talking about, you know, jeez, are we are we venturing into Patriots territory here where people are sick of us because we're winning, and Bruski talked about you know they Straighthan made a great point about how they just had to pressure.
Speaker 3: Tom all the time, and Tom was getting.
Speaker 2: The crap kicked out of him and then said right right, And then Bruski talked about he saw the other sideline and Fred, you know how impressed with you and how he brought that whole thing absolutely and the way he's you know, like, we saw that. You know, we've been there, we saw that. And he says like, oh shit, because he knew that's us. He immediately we know what happens when that happens to the other team.
Speaker 3: He immediately put him, this is two thousand and one. They're us two thousand and one. Oh shit, oh shit, I know what that feels like. And I know, I think he said, I know, I know what they feel. Yeah, And the Giants didn't think they were underdogs. No, And the Giants, if you recall, showed up at that Super Bowl wearing a black because they were coming for a funeral.
Speaker 4: And I don't know who the announcer was in the documentary that says it at the time, he said, you know, if the Giants win this game, it's a great story of you know, the underdog beating Goliath. But if the Patriots win this game and go nineteen oh, it's it'll be a holy moment in the NFL, and I couldn't agree more. Had the Patriots won that game, it would it would have been something to this day. We be, you know, the greatest team time, right, and it got taken away, And I thought Jonathan Kraft I was just gonna say go ahead, No.
Speaker 3: I think the reaction.
Speaker 2: Of course, I would have liked to have heard more from Bill, but I'm not expecting that Bill was Bill when they asked him about it. Jonathan Craft, I thought was very poignant and gave a different perspective about walking into that.
Speaker 3: Locker room and what was that look like? Mike, Yeah, how did that?
Speaker 4: How did you take that?
Speaker 2: And I also want to ask you your thought on because I thought Tom, while not completely revelatory, gave you a little glimpse into what his life was like after that loss.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think you know, as a fan, that's what I think you love as hearing Tom Brady has the same feel like I mean he said in it. You know, I was just watched it the other day. There were guys around waited to catch the tyree, you know, like they were feeling the same thing you were. And I think that's what's great about sports as a fan is you have this kind of sense of shared experience and so you know, it doesn't really help. But seeing Tom kind of still have those feelings and that angst about it, it just shows you how you're all kind of in it together. So I really like that, and I thought, you know, just I was. I was kind of shocked, to be honest, with what Jonathan said about you know, guys thrown up.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know that intensity.
Speaker 5: I mean I've heard other stories from you guys of you know, things metaled out afterwards and you know, guys kind of made peace with it.
Speaker 1: But it's the worst less in NFL history. There's no other way to put it.
Speaker 4: It was unintentionally great by him because he likes to think of another way to put it. Already did it? You know, well, I don't know really how to describe it. You know, you walk in, you see guys sob grown men sobbing, and guys throwing up, and we all watched it together.
Speaker 3: We like you just described it. That was it Another thing that I had never heard that, you know, that was the reaction in the locker room because but you know, Super Bowls are different. You don't generally go in the line. I mean, you can go in the locker room post Super Bowl, but usually they bring a bunch of players out to another area, so you don't really go in a postgame locker room for the Super Bowl. I don't think anybody saw that, And Jonathan gave you a window into that, and.
Speaker 4: It was so sickening.
Speaker 3: I can't imagine that you could see it on Jonathan's face, like all these years later, that he was back to that visceral reaction.
Speaker 4: Absolutely as guys were literally throwing up after that game.
Speaker 2: The ten part documentary event, The Dynasty New England Patriots is streaming now exclusively on Apple TV Plus. The schedule for this show we will drop a new Patriots Dynasty doc recap every Friday as the series continues on, and we have a gibbet we have Dynasty books to give away. Email your questions and comments about the documentary to web Radio at Patriots dot com with the subject to Dynasty and if we use your email, we'll send you a book. Great reminiscent, guys, We'll see you on the next episode as we recap the Patriots Dynasty