Speaker 1: This episode of the Chuck Todcast is brought to you by Wild Grain. Wild Grain is the first bake from frozen subscription box for sour dough breads, artisonal pastries, and fresh pastas, plus all the items conveniently baked in twenty five minutes or less. Unlike many store brought options, Wild Grain uses some simple ingredients you can pronounce and a slow fermentation process that can be a lot easier on your belly, little gut health there right, and richer in nutrients antioxidants. There's also no preservatives and no shortcuts. The Wild Grain boxes are fully customizable. In addition to their variety box, they have a gluten free box, a vegan box, and a new protein box. I will tell you I have done the gluten free box. I have done it a second time. I have also used the code, the todcast code. If you use the promo code toodcast at checkout, you get thirty dollars off. I've already used it as a gift to somebody else who loves this bread. It is hard to find good gluten free bread. It is fantastic. They give you step by step instructions. I really dig this. There is nothing like having an artesion bakery in your freezer to chase away the winter chill. Now is the best time to stay in and enjoy some comforting homemade meals with Wild Grain. I obviously highly recommend it. It is worth giving Wildgrain to try. Right now. Wildgrain is offering my listeners thirty dollars off your first box plus free croissants for life. Come on when you go to wildgrain dot com slash podcast to start your subscription today. That's thirty dollars off your first box and free croissants for life when you visit wildgrain dot com, slash podcast, or simply use the promo code podcast at checkout. This is a sponsor I absolutely embrace, so use that code. I'm pretty excited about both my next guest and to announce a new thing I'm involved with. I've dropped some hints about it earlier on earlier podcast, but I am a participant. I'm on a steering committee. I am here, rabble rouser, whatever you want to call me to promote Local News Day, and the idea of Local News Day, which is April ninth, is essentially it's an awareness day, you know, similar to the whole premise of Earth Day way back when it first started in the early seventies, which is, you know, take a day to think about you know, your role in the environment and things like that. Well, with Local News Day, this is look our information ecosystem. You've heard me talk about it. Why am I even here as an independent operator these days? Right? The information ecosystem as fragmented in a huge way. The revenue streams for news organizations have dramatically shrunk and changed. As I often joke, a man named Craig decided classified ought to be free, YadA, YadA, YadA. We ended up with know local news organizations in half the country. But the But as much as that seems like there's been bad news, there's been an incredible right that. You know, I always say politics and ports of vacuum, Well, the information ecosystem of whoors a vacuum and where people live? People want to know what the hell's going on? As I always say, look at you know, look at social media. How do you know that we all like local news because we think whatever's happening around us is important enough to share with the world. Well, hey, that's local news. Well that's the purpose of Local News Day. In April ninth, get people more aware of people working in their own communities already trying to rebuild what was an important part of frankly civic life, uh for so many Americans over the last two hundred years. If you want to go and read Democracy in America by Detokeful, one of the things that he will he marked upon when he toured America to try to understand what made this democracy work. He was incredibly blown away by how engaged Americans were locally. Well, that was thanks to what was an incredible local media that we had in the nineteenth century. Well, we're all trying to rebuild the information ecosystem, and we know trust is built from the bottom up. Well, somebody had to come up with the idea of doing this, and that's who my next guest is. It's the founder an editor of the Montana Free Press. It's John Adams and those of us that cover the issue of campaign finance. I was involved in the Meet the Press film festival back in the day and one of the films we featured had a starring role for John Adams, and it's how I first got to know him. So, John Adams, welcome to the podcast.
Speaker 2: Hey, Thanks so much, Chuck, and thanks for being a part of this effort, and thanks for having me on the show.
Speaker 1: Well let me start with Look, I've put it in my words. How'd I do fill in the gaps? Tell me? Tell me what? Tell me what your elevator pitch is when you tell people about Local News Day on April ninth, mark your kelliler.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Well my hope, Chuck is in one of these days I can get you to, you know, say, if it's April ninth, it's local news Day.
Speaker 1: There it is. I love it. If it's April ninth, it's local Newsday, absolutely, But in all seriousness, I mean it is.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: I know what you expressed. It was sort of when I think we last saw each other at the Texas Tribute Festival, and you know, it's all about how how can we take what is? There are a ton of incredible entrepreneurs around the country. There's a lot of incredible people attempting to try to fill the void in places like Montana or frankly now where I live here in Washington, d C. Where we've become a local news desert, and I wish I were being facetious, not a it's a serious issue. And and and this was one way you thought, well, how do you begin to build a network of local news entrepreneurs. Let's start with a shared day of awareness.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, I think it's you talked about the fact that there's been this crisis in local news and obviously, anybody who's paid attention in the last ten or fifteen years, that's that's that's an old narrative, right, we know that that's been the case for a really long time. That's not news. But I think, you know, the idea for Local News Day is that there's actually so much going on on sort of the revival of this you know, critically important civic institution, which is your local news organizations. And you know, this Local News Day is really about helping Americans know where they can find that those sources of information where they live. You know, we are as we've lost sources of local news, our attention goes elsewhere. People are curious, people want to stay informed, people want to be you know, in the know on things. And we all carry around these incredibly powerful supercomputers in our pockets that are that are radically connected to the entire world, and so we can find out what's happening in in you know, Israel or Iran within minutes of it happening. But in terms of you know, what happened to you know, why is that street closed three blocks from my house? You may wait days to find the answer to that, and you might have to find it out on social media. You might have to find it out by asking your neighbors. And you know, in a lot of communities, they kind of left their attention which was you know, often started their day on their doorstep, right a paper delivered to their door. You wake up, you drink the coffee, you unroll the paper, you read the headlines, you you swear at the opinion page. Then you check the local sports box scores for the basketball game that happened the night before, what have you. And then you end your day watching the newscast and knowing what's going on. Sure that you might tune in for the national news, but then you stick around to find out about what's going on with the weather, what's going on in your community. And you know, a lot of those traditional sources of information didn't adapt very efficiently to the information environment that we're currently in. But there's a lot of us who understood, you know, saw that that reality kind of taking shape and kind of hit the ground trying to figure out what the next phase of this was. The need for local news has never gone away. The appetite for local news has never dissipated. It's just that, you know, the business model that had supported it for so long had kind of failed in our current information environment. And so what this is all about is saying, like, look, people are reinventing the business model. There are successful local news organizations all over the country, for profit, nonprofit independence creators, you know, people who are committed to finding out the facts about what's going on in their community and sharing it with with as broad of an audience of local folks as they can. And there this campaign Local News Day is really about highlighting, uplifting, celebrating, and connecting the public with those sources of local news that they may not even know exist.
Speaker 1: You know, It's and I think we've I feel like we kind of sort of joked about this in one of the steering committees, but you know it, you know, local news now kind of feels like the craft the craft beer, you know, boom, and I hope that and I think what we all figured out is, huh, we don't want three national beers Cores, Miller, and Budweiser. Right as soon as it became that, people suddenly said, wait a minute, you know, and you know, I know it seems like a weird but but now there's truth to this. Right, every town you go to now has their own beer. And we see this as, oh, isn't that great. You know, there's a local flavor or there's a local diss and there's a local that. But in some ways it was because we didn't like the whole commoditized aspect of this. Right, yet the big companies scale was everything, right, There's less money to be made if you somehow made two hundred and fifty different kinds of recipes of beer. And I think that's what hurt local news is it tried to sort of participate in the scale economy when actually it was just antithetical to scale and then ended up being a mistake. But I sort of now I look at it and it's like, yeah, local news looks different. Craft beer is different. Sometimes you put a lot of fruit in yours, or oh, your local news is based on just this one neighborhood association, you know, and yet different. You know, if you're serving a community, then you're doing a good version of local news, right, And maybe I'm butchering it a little bit.
Speaker 2: But I love the metaphor.
Speaker 1: The craft beer boomlet tells me that, you know, actually people do care about their local identities.
Speaker 2: You know, I think I think you're really onto something there. And I could take that a lot further actually, because you know, I don't know if you know this, Chuck, but I was also for a period of time the correspondent for the Rocky Mountain Brewing News, So you know, I.
Speaker 1: Did not know that one that was not a that was not a feeder question.
Speaker 2: You know, it's not on my resume. I should put it on there, But you know, it's really that's a great metaphor because you know what local breweries are. You know, I'll take Montana for example, which I know well, you know, they're public houses. It's not just that people go there for the unique flavor, right, they also go there for community. They go there for connection. And I think that's one of those things that local news really has the power to do, which is connect people. Like you can have disagreements and whatnot, but you're disagreeing at least around the same set of facts about what you read in your your local paper, heard on your local newscasts, or saw on your local you know, your local evening newscasts, and so you know, and like those those local beers, you know. I think what we have found has been so successful in you know, particularly what I've experienced mostly in the last ten years in the nonprofit news space, is there isn't a one size fits all business model or editorial strategy or solution to the local news challenge. The organizations that we're seeing that are having so much success are you know, entities that really know their community. They know what their community, you know, is looking for what's the gap, you know, what what is the information that people most need or most want, And so you know, they're they're so tied in with what is happening. They're part of the community that they build trust, They're reflecting the flavor of the community in many ways, like you you can sense the familiarity because you recognize the people, you recognize the voices, you recognize, you know the issues that are happening around you, and you know, like you know, you know, a lot of craft breweries will you know, the water that they have access to is part of what makes their beer special. You know, the makeup of the water is a big deal. You know, people use local barley, local malt, local hops. You know, maybe if you're in certain parts of the country, like Montana, you might add a huckleberry beer to your mix during huckleberry season. And you know, these are all things that people see kind of reflected. They see their lived experience, their world reflected in this thing. And that's something that they feel an attachment to. And and I think that is what we're trying to do with Local News Day is sort of recreate that same kind of connection, that same kind of attachment with the information about what's happening around them and empowering people.
Speaker 1: I like, look, let's talk about your origin story a little bit with the Montana Free Press. I mean it when you were telling me pieces of it because we have a mutual friend, Phil Kent, who was a longtime executive at the in the early days with Ted Turner at CNN, and I serve with Phil Kent on a board at GW for the School of Media and Public Affairs. And you tell this great story where he saw the documentary that you were in. Let's talk about the documentary is a documentary about dark money and Montana's you know, sort of the and this was a story about how there was a bipartisan effort to try to you know, Montana is different, right, the whole fight against the copper against the longtime copper barons. I guess you might call them really sort of create you know, there really is a legacy of you know, skepticism of outside money, skepticism of outsider whether you're left or right. You know, it sort of explains why Montana politicians in general are not cookie cutter, right, no matter which side of the isle they send. You're like, now, a Montana Republican is not like a regular Republican, and a Montana Democrat is not like a national Democrat. They're just there. And because there is a Montana identity that that is distinctive, that goes all the way back, frankly to it to its sort of early days as a state. And you were sort of the featured reporter in this documentary. But but but tell me about the doc and then what happened to your career in the middle of the dock.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean it's one of those situations that you know, I didn't really have any idea what I was getting into. When Kimberly read the documentary, filmmaker reached out to me. Kimberly is a Helen, a native born and raised here in Montana. And you know, interestingly, Dark Money is you know, it was a national documentary. It public you know, it was. It was It aired on PBS stations all over the country at a big natural national theater release, and certainly the audience for it is a national audience, but it really is local reporting in a large part. It's it's it's one of those stories. It's sort of kind of drives home how you know, the powers and the influence of uh, you know, at the national level can really impact you know, local communities and local uh public policy. And that's what Dark Money was about. And I was a reporter for the Great False Tribune. I was the capital bureau chief for the Great False Tribune, which was you know, at the time, if not the most, definitely one of the most prominent. And and uh why the newspapers that was Gannett. It was the only Gannett owned property in Montana still is Lee Newspapers. Uh, Lee sort of famously liberated UH five of the largest state dailies from the copper collar, which was ownership by the Anacona Company, which you know alludes back to that history you talked about with the copper barons, and you know, that one hundred year old history of corruption and big money interest trying to buy our politics at the local, you know, the legislative level and on up is a fight that we've been just steeped in here in Montana forever. And in nineteen seventy two, Montana's got together and called a constitutional convention. We just celebrated the fiftieth anniversary a couple of years ago the passage of the of the new Constitution. But that new constitution was really aimed at limiting the role of outside corporate influence in our politics. At had strict limits on campaign finance. And what we saw in twenty thirteen, twenty fifteen and beyond was, you know, we had my reporting had started to reveal like how this dark money was really infiltrating these these local legislative elections, primarily super local.
Speaker 1: It was a stunning discoveries. You're just like, wait a minute, this company's doing what in what little state praise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, candidates were coming out of nowhere and just getting enormous support through you know, mostly through post guards. Right, so people's inboxes just filling up with these campaign mailers with some really heinous messaging and allegations, sometimes just a week before the election, right, just a few days before the election. So the person on the other side of that attack didn't even have a chance to respond. You didn't know who the attacks were coming from, and you didn't have an opportunity to respond. And it turned out, and the documentary kind of really spells all this out, but it turned out that there was a kind of a group that was orchestrating all of this on behalf of candidates and in some cases illegally coordinating with those candidates campaign. So they weren't disclosing they were providing very valuable political resources to a campaign, very valuable you know, attacks and other services, but there was weren't being disclosed. And so we you know, those of us who liked to spend time digging around in files in the basement of the Commission of Political Practices office, we couldn't see who like this was a totally undisclosed money. We didn't know how much they were spending. We didn't know who was spending it. We didn't know, you know, whether or not these candidates were you know, directly involved with it. Fast forward a few years, there was a series of trials that aimed to bring some of these elected officials to account for this illegal coordination. And during that period of time, I had also been laid off at the Great False Tribune, and so I followed this story as a political reporter for the state, one of the state's largest dailies. And then I found myself without a job in the middle of the twenty fifteen legislative session. And that was what sort of gave birth to the idea of Montana Free Press, because I looked around the state at you know, where could I continue to do this kind of brand of journalism, And I didn't really see any viable options. You know, I saw a continued decline of the print newspapers that were still you know active in the state.
Speaker 1: How many how many quote reporters were you competing against in the Capitol press corps.
Speaker 2: Well at the time, you know what, by the time I left, it was, I know, there was you know, a handful of TV reporters that would kind of cycle through. Usually they weren't there for more than just a session or two. Yeah, and then Montana's a very small media market, so any of the good TV reporters im mediate as soon as their contractor was up, went to a bigger market.
Speaker 1: So you didn't have a lot of except for our friend Mariza.
Speaker 2: Except for our friend Mariza exactly. She's She's one of the exceptions for sure. So you know, there was two sort of legendary longtime state state House reporters, Chuck Johnson and Mike Dennison, who were anchored the lead newspapers. And those are the guys who I really kind of looked at as my competition. Chuck had been doing it for that point, you know, probably close to forty years. I'd followed a Mike and Chuck's footsteps in both the Great Falls Tribune and and then they went on to the lead bureau, And so we were friendly competitors, you know, much as I'm sure you kind of experience, you know in DC, you know, you want to beat them on a scoop, but you also, you know, have fun conversations in the basement of.
Speaker 1: The team press score against those those partisan you know, guys left and right trying to keep the press out. You know, we all band together on that stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then a few months after I, uh, after I was let go from the Tribune, Mike and Chuck were basically forcing a retirement from Lee. And so within just a matter of months, the you know, three of the most experienced Statehouse reporters in the capitol were out on the street, so to speak. And and there was a lot of concern about who was going to cover what's going on. And we were still in the midst of all this dark money stuff, and you know, the need for legislative coverage certainly hadn't gone away, and that, you know, and that's what I really understood. You know, Montana Free Press was founded on the belief that this journalism has value, whether or not it is uh, you know, clickbait, whether or not it is the kind you know, ass as news models had really kind of focused on on views over news. It's sort of like the main value proposition to advertisers. I still believe that there were people. There might not be as many advertisers who are interested in it, but the individuals still cared about that kind of reporting. So I found a Montana Free Press is a nonprofit kind of focused on state house coverage with the with the idea that those who understood how important that coverage is would support it through their you know, charitable giving their fill and throught support.
Speaker 1: This episode of the Chuck Podcast is brought to you by Quints. A thoughtfully built wardrobe comes down to pieces that mix well and last. That's where Quince shines. Premium fabrics, considered design, and every day essentials that feel effortless to wear and dependable even as the seasons change. Quince has the everyday essentials I love with quality that lasts, lightweight cashmere sweaters not too expensive either by the way, short sleeve Mongolian kashmere, polos, linen bottoms, and shorts. Quinz works directly with top factories and cuts out the middlemen. That's why it's more affordable. You're not paying for the brand markup or any fancy retail stores, but you're still getting quality. Everything is built to hold up to regular wear and still look good. Quite often I'm wearing something that I've gotten from Quints. It is incredibly comfortable. I've become a middle aged man who loves his quarter zips. They have plenty of those. I have been very pleased, and it's just you know, when I like a piece of clothes, I probably wear it too much, and usually you can tell after about two or three months. That's not the case. So far with Quint's that's been impressive. So right now, go to quins dot com slash chuck for free shipping and three hundred and sixty five day returns. It's a full year to build your wardrobe and you'll love it. Now available in Canada too. Don't keep settling for clothes that don't last. Go to qui nce dot com slash chuck for free shipping, three hundred and sixty five day returns quints dot com slash chuck. This episode of the Chuck Toodcast is brought to you by American Financing. So if you looked at your credit card statement lately, you're working forty fifty hours a week just to buy groceries and gas things that used to be able to afford, right, and the credit card companies are charging you over twenty percent interest for the privilege. Think about that. It's a lot of extra money out the door. It's designed to keep you under water well American Financing is doing something they hate. They're actually trying to help people. They have mortgage rates in the fives. They're showing homeowners how to take their hard earned equity to wipe out that high interest debts. The average savings is eight hundred dollars a month. So talk to a salary based mortgage consultant, no upfront fees, no obligation, commission, none of that, to see how much you can say. And if you start today, you could delay two mortgage payments. Give American Financing a call America's home for home loans eight six six eight eight five ten eighty one. That's eight six six eight eight five one zero eight one. Or go to Americanfinancing dot net. Slash the Chuck toodcast use that code.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I was talking with somebody the other day about this issue on news and it was just sort of this person made a point of how particularly the larger local news operations didn't didn't ever bring the readers into the challenge that frankly, local news was facing for the last twenty five years. Right this issue, you know, the concern about shrinking newspaper coverage of state capitals was a huge issue in the nineties, and then it became a really problematic in the early odds, and it was the sort of the first round of consolidation, you know, the initial ganetification of local news, right when Gannett gobbled up all these dailies back in the late eighties early nineties.
Speaker 2: Kindly the one my hometown daily that my mom worked for.
Speaker 1: And then you had night Rider was doing it. McClatchy was doing it. The night Ritter swallowed McClatchy or McLatchy swallowed night Rider, I can't remember which. And but this person pointed out they never brought the reader in to explain, you know, how the economics were changing, and hey, this is why the Sunday paper is now seven dollars instead of a dollar fifty. This is why you can't just use pocket change to go to a newspaper vending machine and get a copy of the paper. Right it was we were getting up to two dollars of paper, three dollars of paper, which is still a bargain considering everything you got in in. But it was necessary in order to do that. What I think is interesting, it's sort of like local news didn't bring the community along with its problems in the eighties and nineties and the nineties and odds. But now as we're read as local is reinventing itself, you do get the sense that people understand. And I guess part of it is social media has taught us the power of community, right, And it's like, well, you can create you don't have to create a community, this one already exists. Just just just tap into it. But if you let readers know what you're up to, then you'll find out what readers want, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that will support and I think that, you know, I really kind of cringe and roll my eyes. You'll hear some folks talk about, you know, the need for media literacy, and I don't disagree that they're you know that that that that's a real challenge, but I think it also really sort of under sells the general public's like desire to be informed. And I don't think it's just that, and I don't suggest that that's what you're saying, Chuck, But it's not just that the news industry did didn't do a good enough job bringing readers along on the on the problems. You know, part of it is I think audiences were distracted you know, we had these new, shiny, very attractive objects in smartphones that were uh, in social media. I mean these things. I mean, in my personal opinion, we let this genie out of the bottle without really thinking it through when it comes to, you know, putting super connected supercomputers in everybody's pocket and then unleashing social media and algorithms on the population without any real like thought about what that would do and how those those motive.
Speaker 1: I've got good news for you, John, is that we're, you know, this time, as we're rolling out artificial intelligence and AI for everybody innybody's hand, we're we're doing such a better Oh wait right, yeah, we're literally the tech companies who already completely broke the information ecosystem, totally distorted it, totally ruined it, and we're trusting these people that come up with sort of permanent facts on behalf of society, which is essentially what AI is going to. They're going to normative, as somebody put it to me, you know, AI is sort of what becomes normalized. Yeah, eighty percent of what's normalized is factually true, but twenty percent of what normal is normalized over time is not. You know, you know, take the take the myth about I mean, this just came up recently. We were watching a new documentary and Catherine the Great and of course there's this infamous rumor about Catherine the Great and her and her sexcapades with a supposed horse. Okay, well, this is a piece of misinformation that has actually survived hundreds of years and there are still people who factually believe it. And now we're going to take AI and essentially take what normalized rumors that become factualized. And you know, I have people that are in the world of worrying about, you know, the rise of anti Semitism and the history of Israel getting sort of distorted by AI chatbots. This is these are the same people that have algorithmed us to death, and now we're doing this. So it's anyway, I don't mean to digress there, but is this is why we need new sources of information to continue to feed these language models who are gobbling up and potentially spitting out garbage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I mean you're making a really strong case. And I think that is one of the reasons why people are so excited about local news day and you know where I think we have this incredible moment right now where you know, I think the public. You know, there's studies out there that show that a lot of younger people are a lot savvier, They're a lot hipper to these things than we give them credit for. And it truly is my parents generation that it is, you know that love local news currently, who are the ones that like struggle the most to sort of like draw the distinction between what's real and what's fake online? And you know, my parents can't tell what's AI and what's not. I'm John.
Speaker 1: I can't. I you know, I sit there and I you know, You'll see on social media and I'll see people say, well, this is obvious AI slop And I'm always like, how do you know? Yeah, and how do you I want to know how you know this because I want to see it. I want to know it's a slop. I now just assume it's all a I slop.
Speaker 2: Well, and that's why you go go to the source, right, I Mean, that's the first thing that we do when we see something. When I see something that I don't know if it's real or not, I go, well, what's the source? Where did this come from? And you know, if I can't find a person behind it, like an actual human being. Right, If I can't trace it back to a real person, then I just assume that it's probably not worth trusting. And I think that's how a lot of people are getting right. I mean, it's you use the brewery analogy. One that's really kind of feels relevant to me is just the dramatic increase in vinyl record sales in recent years. And now you're seeing, you know, magazine sales are starting to pick up, and you're starting to see or some places are even going back to print or increasing print because more people are kind of seeking the tangible nature, the more permanency of an analog product. And so I'm not suggesting that we all go analog overnight, but I do think that local news is something that you can It's tangible, right. You can go to an event and meet the people who are producing it. You can you know, you can go to a website and see that they have the same you know, zip code or area code is you and and you know, as people are looking for what's real and what's not, connecting with local news sources who you know and you know they're real because they're they're in front of you, they're they're participating, they're in your community. I think there's going to be a strong demand for the authenticity of local news over the uncertainty of everything else.
Speaker 1: John, I think one thing that we haven't talked about this, but I imagine you feel this because I can sort of say because I feel the same way as I'm not. I've never been comfortable trying to cheerlead doing this job, and reporters in general are uncomfortable cheerleading. And social media change this right it said, no, no, no, no. If you don't cheerlead your information, no one's going to see it, No one's going to read it. And I'm trying to get religion on this, and you know, every day I get a little more comfortable realizing, yeah, you got to you got to sing for your supper. You know, as an old saying goes, just how hard is it? I mean, you don't. You don't strike me as somebody who you know wants, hey, look look at me, put the spotlight on me. And yet you know, in order to drive relevancy, in order to make sure people are looking at their stuff that should be looking at her stuff, you kind of have to do that, so how did how did you sort of how have you broken through whatever whatever discomfort? And I always say as journalists, we were sort of like, hey, let the facts speak for themselves, right. That always is sort of a phrase that like rolled in my head the early days of early editors that I work for. And yet it turns out that's not it's it's that's not a way to build a successful local news startup.
Speaker 2: You know, I think we can. It's an interesting question, And again I don't know that there's necessarily one size fits all answer to that either, because again I think it really kind of depends on the community you serve. And you know, we're a state organization. We we still consider Montana Free Press local. We do have local reporters in three communities in the state, and we're looking to expand in a fourth and billions this year. So we do have local reporters on the ground covering local issues and UH and we send our reporters to the two local communities to report on for and about those communities. But I think showing up first and foremost. I think, you know, being present and showing up is really important. I think showing your work is another one. I think there's you know, a lot of people just don't understand, you know, they've got a conception of what reporters are from the media, the popular media where usually you know, it's a it's a jerk, you know, with a camera or microphone, you know, you know, trying to catch somebody in a in a in a hard spot or you know, a tragedy or what have you. And like, sure, that's part of it too, but a lot of us, most of us, really it's it's about you know, showing up, being there to represent the interest of audience, Like what what what's the audience going to care about? What are my readers? And as a as a print reporter, what are the people who read Montana Free Press? What do they want to know? And what information do I need to get because I want to, you know, interpret their their questions even before they ask them. And and this really came clear to me even before I lost my job at the trip where I had written I was one of the first reporters in the state the blog, not the first, but one of the first. And I had a blog and in my blog, I had taken the Attorney General to task over what I thought was an inappropriate attack on the Associated Press, which had you know, very reasonably asked for public information, and instead of producing that public information or denying it and you know, going through the necessary you know channels, you know, sometimes they deny it and then we sue them and then the courts decide whether we have access to that information or not. Rather than kind of go that traditional route, the Attorney General, you know, issued a press release denying it and saying that he was protecting gun owners' rights from the prying eyes of you know, the news media that you know, was asking for information about concealed carry permits. You know, which communities have the most concealed carry permits. This is information they've been asking for for years and publishing stories that would say, you know, they would report on the trends, you know, never like listing who has concealed carry permits. But that's sort of like that attack on that a P reporter led to a doxing incident, one of the early docing incidents, where that AP reporter his his name address, Google images of his house were posted on an extreme far right you know, extremist network. And I took issue with that and I called I made my my attitudes known, and that very quickly led to an invitation for the Montana Tea Party Association to come basically answer for my my attacks on the Second Amendment. So I took that invitation. I went to an evangelical church out in the out in the helen and of our valley, and they wanted to know, like why I wrote what I wrote, and why I think journalists should have access to that information. And we had a really interesting conversation where we heard each other right, like, I heard what their concerns were, and then I said, let me tell you how we do our job, why we do our job, why this information is important, why the Montana Constitution has a right to know. And I kind of explained just sort of like the whole process and how the role that journalism plays in representing the public in holding their government officials accountable. And it didn't take long for them to make those connections and see that this was a more complex story than the sound bites might have you believe, and that takes work. Right. Every journalist doesn't have time to go out there and have individual conversations about every single story, but we do. We do through the technology and the platforms that we have access to now, like what we're doing right here, we can show our work to a broader base of people. We can talk more about not just what we do, but how we do it, why it's important, and it doesn't all have to be negativity, and it doesn't all have to be accountability. Some of it is, you know, we provide a public service that isn't always just you know, getting people in trouble or you know, quote unquote holding public officials accountable. A lot of what we do is just informing people.
Speaker 1: Do you hate hangovers, well, say goodbye to hangovers. Out of office gives you the social buzz without the next day regret. They're best selling out of office companies. We're designed to provide a mild, relaxing buzz, boost your mood and enhance creativity and relaxation. With five different strengths, you can tailor the dose to fit your vibe, from a gentle one point five milligram micro dose to their newest fifty milligram gummy for a more elevated experience. Their THHC beverages and gummies are a modern, mindful alternative to a glass of wine or a cocktail. And I'll tell you this, I've given up booze. I don't like the hangovers. I prefer the gummy experience. Soul is a wellness brand that believes feeling good should be fun and easy. Soul specializes in delicious HEMP derived THCHD and CBD products, all designed to boost your mood and simply help you unwine. So if you struggle to switch off at night, Sol also has a variety of products specifically designed to just simply help you get a better night's sleep, including their top selling sleepy gummies. It's a fan favorite for deep restorative sleep. So bring on the good vibes and treat yourself to Soul today. Right now, Soul is offering my audience thirty percent off your entire order, So go to getsold dot com use the promo code toodcast. Don't forget that code. That's getsold dot Com promo code todcast for thirty percent off. Having good life insurance is in incredibly important. I know from personal experience. I was sixteen when my father passed away. We didn't have any money. He didn't leave us in the best shape. My mother, single mother, now widow, myself sixteen trying to figure out how am I going to pay for college? And lo and behold, my dad had one life insurance policy that we found wasn't a lot, but it was important at the time, and it's why I was able to go to college. Little did he know how important that would be in that moment. Well, guess what. That's why I am here to tell you about Etho's life. They can provide you with peace of mind knowing your family is protected even if the worst comes to pass. Ethos is an online platform that makes getting life insurance fast and easy, all designed to protect your family's future in minutes, not months. There's no complicated process, and it's one hundred percent online. There's no medical exam require you just answer a few health questions online. You can get a quote in as little as ten minutes, and you can get same day cover ridge without ever leaving your home. You can get up to three million dollars in coverage, and some policies start as low as two dollars a day that would be billed monthly. As of March twenty twenty five, Business Insider named Ethos the number one no medical exam instant life insurance provider. So protect your family with life insurance from Ethos get your free quoted ethos dot com slash chuck. So again that's Ethos dot com slash chuck. Application times may vary and the rates themselves may vary as well, but trust me, life insurance is something you should really think about, especially if you've got a growing family.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: One of the things that I've come to, you know what the biggest difference between local and national And I used to say and sort of why national media trusts you know what, guy? What has gotten me into the local space is my conclusion that the law loss of trusted local character references or national news media. You know that that in some ways, if you trusted your local news outlet, then you were more likely to trust the national news outlet that local news outlet was affiliated with. And now we've gone the other way, which is, you know, it's like Fox News viewers nationally only trust the local Fox right, And it used to be the other way around. If you trusted your local then then that worked its way up. And so and the conclusion that I drew as to why that was, well, one is you fact check local every day, right, you find out what the weather is, you know, or little things like that. And if they're misinforming you on the weather and traffic as you're getting ready to work or whatever it is, well, you're not going to trust them for anything else. Right. If they take at the they take at the weather, right, they're got to get the other stuff. But local also served a different purpose than National. Right, National told you the things that you should know as a citizen. Local was informing you of things that you both needed to know to live your life. But sometimes stuff that you kind of it's kind of cool to know, right right. That might be local sports. That might be you know, the local play that's coming to town. So it's it's finding out what's happening in the neighborhood. It might be where do I find cheaper groceries I'm a little you know? Or or hey, what grocery stores accept snap benefits in which grocery stores don't write, or things like that, And it was just sort of the the consumer. It was the consumer aspect of of helping the helping your reader, who's also a consumer, right, be helpful. And I will say this, my biggest concern with the rise of a lot of local use outlets right now is that I think we all want to, you know, as my my friend Richard Gingris, who was at the Google News Initiative for a very long time and he's now working with a company in Canada that's doing some interesting local news work called Village Media by the way, But Richard said the worst thing to happen to journalism was all the presidents men, because it's a whole generation of us all wanted to be Bob Boarder, right, and it was all about accountability when there's a service part to journalism right where we're just sort of a public servant. Right, we're letting you know, hey, there's going to be a rise in electric bills this week, but we're also going to let you know that, hey, there's a sale. You know, sometimes you saw the sale via an advertiser, or sometimes you found out, hey, if you you know, there's there's cheaper chicken at the Aldies this week versus the Trader Joe's this week or wherever it is. And I think sometimes with some of our journalism colleagues, it's hard to tell them and hey, you know, you got to just help people live their life too, And you may not see that as journalism, but that's how you build trust.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent. And I mean we do that. You know at Montana Free Press. That became really obvious to us in the pandemic, right like, there were just a handful there were three of.
Speaker 1: Us useful items, right like, how do I do this? Where do I find this? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And you know, the beautiful thing is we have such incredibly powerful to us some of the technologies and some of the platforms and some of the things that you know, we could point to that said, you know, these are part of the problem.
Speaker 1: They're also saying there's other things. You're right, there's other things they do for the solutions.
Speaker 2: And you know, one of the things that we did that I that was you know, it didn't seem all that novel at the time, but I think in Montana in that moment, it was a degree of a novel approach to journalism. Was you know, we there were three of us publishing in the newsroom at the time. We had just hired a business person and you know, our first business person. So we were a team of four, I believe when the pandemic hit and we had the shutdown, and I had a weekly podcast at the time called The Lowdown, which is now the Montana Lowdown, which is now the name of our weekly newsletter. And I went from a weekly podcast to a daily podcast, and it went from being sort of a like a big you know something along akin to what you and I are doing now, to something a little bit more like, hey, here the here are the ten things you need to know today or the three things that you need to know today.
Speaker 1: So you're almost like the morning drive time radio guy.
Speaker 2: I was just trying, you know, it was my.
Speaker 1: Job helping with the local news, helping with the local like good morning of your cup of coffee, A better be careful of this today?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know. One of the I remember one of the episodes was talking to the heads of you know, shelters that house domestic violence victims, you know, and like that suddenly in Montana in March, when the temperatures are in the teens are below is a real serious problem, right, So like kind of just shifting what we did to sort of like meet the moment, and then you know, doing things like looking at Google Search console and seeing what are people in Montana asking Google about the pandemic? And then now we know the questions that the public has on their mind. Let's go out and get those answers. And so we went from a weekly newsletter to a daily newsletter and we had a COVID tracker that you know, just provided just a running you know, latest, this is what we know, this is what's happening. And what we saw was just a massive, you know, increase in audience overnight. And what that told us was if you're giving people information that they can use, If if you're doing things that can help them understand the thing that they care most about right now in a way that they feel gives them some sense of comfort, some sense of agency, then they're going to reward you. They're going to reward you, may becomeing a reader. They're going to reward you. If you're a for profit model, maybe they're going to subscribe. If you're a nonprofit model, maybe they're going to donate. And you know, that's what we saw, as you know, and then that became kind of just sort of a big part of the ethos is like give people things that they want. Yes, we're going to also give them things that they we think they need, but we want to make sure that we're not ignoring what it is that they want, because it's not a supply side problem is we need to be meeting the demand, right. That is the issue is, you.
Speaker 1: Know, it's this fine line of look, what the algorithms do only seem to give people what they want, versus if you know your own readers, you've got to figure out how to walk that line, right, which is, yeah, you know, we know what you want, and but you know, here's something you need to know. You know, And I always say, if they trust you with helping you live their lives, then they'll trust you when you tell them that their city councilman's corrupt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, exactly, And again that kind of goes back is showing up to I mean, we do a lot of live events.
Speaker 1: We do.
Speaker 2: We create a lot of opportunities for for public engagement, and our reporters get on the ground in in communities and build relationships and you know, showing up building relationships, being authentic, that's what local news does, you know, And that local news that it's best is is reflecting what the community cares about, what the community's identity is about, what you know, it's it's warts and all, but when people see themselves that their community, the things they cared about reflected in a news source, then they develop loyalty and again, you know, our goal with Local News Day is to really highlight those folks who are doing that, to get people who didn't maybe know that they had local news in their right. You know, there's a lot there's a lot of people in this in this state who don't know who they've never heard of Montana Free Press. There's a lot of people in Helena, where we're based, where we have a local newsletter, who've never heard of it, right, And that's just because there's so much information out there. Right, people are inundated with information, and so Local News Day our goal is to flood the zone. Right that on April ninth, people all over the country are talking about local news and if they go to Localnewsday dot org, there will be a very user friendly tool there for them to locate local news entities in their area or an area they care about. And our hope is that on this day we can you know, significantly grow audiences for local news and strengthen the local news ecosystem and in doing so, you know, make more connections, bring more people together. Lord knows, there are plenty of platforms and and and you know, profit seeking entities that really kind of thrive off of division, and this is one of those, I think, really unique opportunities to you know, rise all boats with connection.
Speaker 1: And there's really you know, you know, basically there's no there's no litmus test for being a member of this of of this uh community at this point, right to be a part of the local news, I mean, other than being a legitimate you know, a legitimate local proprietor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. I mean it's like giving Tuesday or you know, I remember when I was a kid Earth Day, you know, my third grade class going out and planting the tree, a tree that was a little sapling when I planted it back in third grade. And when I drive by my hometown, it's now a giant maple tree. Right, you know these it's whatever, whatever is meaningful to you. I mean, if you're already somebody who really cares about local news, help spread the word, you know, share it on your social media, forward emails from your local news providers to the people in your world who you think would would would be interested in it. If you're a business or an institution who understands the just the critical public service that that local news provides, celebrate it, put a banner in your lobby, you know, put a put a logo on your website.
Speaker 1: Look, the better local news does, the better local businesses can target future customers. I mean, I just I really, I really believe that because I've learned from a lot of local businesses and doing what I was trying to do and tried to scale local news, which is not easy. Scaling local news is in some ways maybe it's impossible, right, just like Gennett proved is it is tough to scale. But that doesn't mean you can't network it. It doesn't mean there aren't old ways like UPI and stuff like that where you can sort of recreate systems that actually enhance, help scale certain parts of the operations process while still allowing local proprietors to have their identities. How many participating organizations do we have already? I know, it's a bunch, you know.
Speaker 2: We're yeah, I think we're approaching seven hundred newsrooms.
Speaker 1: The goal is five hundred, right, the goal in year.
Speaker 2: One was five hundred. We wanted newsrooms and all fifty states. Yep. I think we're yeah, we're approaching seven hundred newsrooms. Somewhere in there I might be a little it's between six and seven hundred. And then we've got we've got more than one hundred partner organizations. We're looking to grow that. So if if there are institutions organizations out there that are interested in being a part of this, we'd love to hear from you. Visit Local newsday dot org and and uh click on the you know, the join us button, and what what it means to be a partner is basically saying, yeah, I really love this idea, I want to support Local News Day and we're going to amplify the message on April ninth. And then we've got about a little about a dozen sponsors that are that are supporting this cause with with direct financial contributions. So you know, our goal here is not to you know, to raise a bunch of money and spend a bunch of money. Our goal here is really to get the word out and really energize people all over the country to on one day come together and really express how much they value local news and how much local news elevates their community.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean it's as simple as subscribe, find out you know, in my I live in Arlington, Virginia, and we have Arlington now. It is mostly a digital feed that's mostly a Twitter feed, but it is the only entity we have that covers Arlington government and what's happening in the Arlington community. It's like that, and you know, various list serves in different communities, at little subcommunities within Arlington, and it's you know, I'm thankful for the gentleman that's behind Arlington now. He's like a one man operation, you know, and he's been plugging away at it for some time. And it is you know, the Washington Post ceased covering local news a long time ago. A bunch of us know notice, but they used to at least cover the city of Washington. Just sort of pulled up stakes there. It is, so you know, if people just to simply subscribe right, sign up for the email alert, if there's an email alert, sign up for the feed, if there's a feed. You know, most of these local proprietors are not going to beg you for money. They'll let you sign up and then you know, yes, we'd like it to if you're if you're getting something out of it, we hope you will give something back or in something that we used to call a subscription.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, for profit or nonprofit really the you know, my.
Speaker 1: View holdful that we have a for profit model that is sustainable over time, because I do worry the nonprofit is sort of you know, you want you want to you want a self sustaining ecosystem, you know, whether it's Look, I think that there's a case to be made. The classified could make a comeback. You know, ple do care about obituaries. And there are different ways and events you talk about being in person events or another way you can create revenue and and things. And look, you you are going to have to be ah, you know, you gotta gotta be experimental.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent. And you know the what I our friend Evan Smith always like to say that, you know, one of the founders of the Texas Tributne like to say that your your tax status is not a business model, right, I mean, uh, and that's really true. But at the end of the day, local news matters, Uh, only if it's reaching an audience that it can have an impact. Right. If you're doing great journalism but nobody knows about it, that isn't doing any good. And if you're doing great journalism and not enough people are reading it then you don't have a long term path to sustainability. So audiences are critically import for local news from the business model standpoint, both from an impact this is how our journalism matters by reaching enough people that that that a critical mass of uh informed public can can take you know, appropriate action when need be. And also it's about the sustainability. You know, whether your for profit and your your your money is coming from you know, advertising revenue. Those advertisers care about your audience. And if your nonprofit, your audience is a significant source of revenue in the forms of individual donations and and also earned revenue. So it's really about growing audience across the country for local news for sustainability impact.
Speaker 1: John Local News Day, I'm I'm fired up and every week, uh you're kicking it off, but every week I'm going to be talking to a different local news entrepreneur and just talk about the different business models used. As a nonprofit. There are not for profits, there are ones that are subscription based, ones that are ads supported, you know. So there's all different models and we frankly want to showcase all of them, you know, and sometimes there's different there's ethic based local media that's doing tremendous jobs for different first gen communities. So we're going to feature at least one different type of local news outlet between now and April ninth. I'm looking forward to it.
Speaker 2: Well, Chuck, we really appreciate it. It's been a pleasure having you on the team. We're excited to have you be a part of this movement, and we appreciate the support of you and all of your viewers and listeners.
Speaker 1: And look, I'm just glad you picked April Night because April lates my birthday, so you know, and my birthday wishes to participate in Local News Day and April Night.
Speaker 2: All right, Well let's do it, all right, brother, Thanks, Thanks, Jeock appreciated it.