Speaker 1: I am all in again. Oh that's you.
Speaker 2: I am all in again with Scott Patterson and iHeartRadio podcast Everybody.
Speaker 1: Scott Patterson, I am all in podcast, one of the Love productions. I heart radio Media. iHeart podcasts. I am all in again with me your host, Scott Patterson. I am joined by the illustrious Jenna USh Qwitz. Hello, Oh Jenna, it's been a long time, not really why I saw you in Vegas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that was like I think twenty two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I saw you in Vegas at the big concert right. I heard Radio Music Festival. We did a movie together. We'll get into that later. But it's great to see you. Thanks for coming on.
Speaker 3: Good to see you. I'm so happy to be here, very excited.
Speaker 1: It's it's uh and you know Jackie are one of our producers and she produced your podcast at one point.
Speaker 4: That's right. It's like full circle. There's a lot of like, uh close, the circle is.
Speaker 1: Small here, it really really is. I'm gonna do. I'm gonna I'm gonna let everybody know who's been living under a rock. Who you are? Okay, the very talented Jenna. You know not only is Gilmore Girls super fan, but also as teeny Cohen Chang from Glee, a two time Tony Award winning producer, Broadway star, former co worker of mine, I said, we're going to get into that a little bit. Jenna's worked on Acclaim productions like Once on This Island, The Inheritance, and Waitress. She also co hosts a hit iHeart podcast called and That's What You Really Miss with Kevin McHale and where They Live Relive all Things Glee. We're excited to have her here at Jenna, Welcome to the show. Not bad, right, I didn't write it.
Speaker 3: Take it?
Speaker 1: Take it? Yeah. Man, how you doing. You've got two kids?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I'm in the thick of it right now. But I'm good. I'm good.
Speaker 4: I'm I've got a three and a half month old, so we are just out of that, you.
Speaker 3: Know, the really really hard phase.
Speaker 4: Although it wasn't that hard, but I'm with an almost three year old, which is a really really hard phase.
Speaker 1: It is, right, the ts in the thing and the but but they get so cute at four and five and six.
Speaker 3: Love it.
Speaker 4: I love it, even when it's hard. It's just like, you know, she's so cute.
Speaker 1: It's great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm happy to be here. You got me to watch some more Gilmore Girls again. It's like an excuse I have to work. I have to watch Gilmore Girls.
Speaker 1: You know it's not bad. Season one, episode seventeen, the third Laurela I, Oh my god, Rory's great grandmother offers Laurela a trust fund for Rory's education, causing Emily to fear losing her new found relationship with them. Cattleman directed Amy Sherman.
Speaker 3: Palladino wrote it, sadly, you're not in this one.
Speaker 1: I'm not in it?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 3: How many episodes were you not in?
Speaker 1: This is the only one?
Speaker 3: Shut up?
Speaker 1: This is the one. Yes, yes, I was one hundred and fifty three. I thought I was in all of them. That I realized after watching this, I'm not in this.
Speaker 3: That's so funny.
Speaker 1: You don't even feel my presence in it at all. There's no coffee, there's no diner.
Speaker 3: They don't go. They don't go there at all. Yeah, their coffee.
Speaker 4: I did watch the previous episode though, which you were in, so I didn't watch that one.
Speaker 1: Was that a good That was a good one? In my shirt?
Speaker 3: Drakout A part two? Yeah?
Speaker 4: You had gotten back with uh? Was it Rachel, right, Rachel. Yeah, and you were around helping uh Rory who has gotten broken up with Yeah, yes.
Speaker 1: Oh, let's try to get into a fight with Dean.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Very funny, very good. This is a good comedy.
Speaker 1: Very good stuff. Good stuff, good stuff. All right, So this one we got tricks, right, we got we got Richard's mom coming in from London to you know, distribute funds to people or whatever she's doing there, because she never comes to the USA, they always go visit her. What are you doing with this epithet?
Speaker 4: I mean, Tricks versus Marion Ross is like such a meeting genius. Everybody is so good. I haven't watched the show in quite a bit of time, so to go back, I was so glad you were like so early back in the process of season one again, because it's so fresh, and it's so easy to fall back into the world with everybody so quickly, like to click in, because it's so funny, so witty. The characters are all just so well developed so early on.
Speaker 3: You know who everybody is, what their job is like.
Speaker 4: The writing, it's like it's heartfelt, it's there's comedy, there's you know, pop culture references like it's Amy Sherman at her best, and I just I was like, do I need to rewatch this whole thing again with you guys because it's so so good.
Speaker 3: I loved it.
Speaker 1: It's great, right, Yeah, it really is, Like, especially this first season, you can see this sort of the growth of the and it's just like it doesn't take them long to really start nail on every episode. I mean you're like you're like one or two episodes in and then all of a.
Speaker 4: Sudden, it just you know, when did it hit like two thousand and like, did it hit like very early like pilot first episodes? Did it like take off? Or did it was it a slower burn because like for Glee, like we it took a few episodes for us to really kind of like get our viewership up and like for it to really kind of hit.
Speaker 3: Do you remember, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean I know the reviews were like all gushy and Variety and Hollywood reporters, so we were like, oh, wow, oh good, great. But yeah, I think first c W, I think the numbers were really strong initially in the first couple of years.
Speaker 6: Totally, but we kind of peaked what season four or five, wow, and then we got up that we got way up there for CW numbers, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it was yeah, but it was consistently good throughout and then yeah, you know, I just I don't know.
Speaker 4: Do you feel like, do you feel like your character is like consistent throughout and the arc? Like, were you happy with your storylines along the way?
Speaker 1: I was, Yeah, I I really still feel I mean and at the time, I felt very lucky to fill those shoes because you know, it's all in in what the writing, right, So so I just think I get to be in this situation today. Yeah, I get to be portrayed this way. This character is is totally I mean such as such an honorable dude, and and you know, I got to do that, and I was like, wow, this is really great. They're really setting me up to be, you know, well thought of as a character, and I really appreciate that. Yeah yeah, I mean, what a what a selfless guy? Just so you know, it's cool. Yeah, it is, it really, it really truly is. And and I'm forever indebted to Amy but for forgiving me this, you know, because she she was the ultimate decision maker, right, I mean, she fought for every one of us. Wow, yeah, because I mean at that time, right two thousand, movie stars were starting to spill over into TV totally, and you know, Warner Brothers wanted.
Speaker 3: Names, stars, stars, stars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like and in every role they read the script, they're no, there, there are no dummies over there. They saw the quality of stuff. They probably thought they go to CIA and just package the help. Yeah, totally stack it with stars, let's get in. She fought for every one of us. She's like, no, I'm not doing that. I'm getting the people that I envision and who was perfect, perfect fit for these roles the way I see it, that's wonderful.
Speaker 4: I mean, her vision is so clear in her writing and her her creation, and like, I'm so glad they did. She pushed for that because it feels like this small town that is being built and created, Like if you throw all those stars in there, it's like too familiar in a way and it's not so small town and there's you lose that charm and the quaintness of.
Speaker 1: It all right, they bring that bagaggage that you can't.
Speaker 3: Get away from totally totally.
Speaker 1: It's like an independent film. Yeah, well of unknowns and it's like, wow, that's a really great film. Who are these actors?
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, exactly, Like you're discovering everything altogether.
Speaker 1: You know that it's so good. We got so we got so luck.
Speaker 3: So lucky, what a great cast.
Speaker 4: Everybody is so so talented, And like I'm curious to hear about your experience with like her writing, like it's so beautiful. Like Ryan Murphy's stuff too, like falls off the tongue. It seems very intricate and difficult, but it falls off the tongue. You don't have to do a lot with it. It just kind of you just go and it does the work for itself. It speaks for itself. Do you feel like that with Amy's stuff?
Speaker 1: That's exactly what it is. It's and I always compared it to Shakespeare because that's what Shakespeare does. You just learn your stuff and that dialogue will take you where you need to go. Emotionally easy to remember because there's like a real emotional logic to it. And with Amy's work, all you have to do really, I mean, it's a very simple formula. You get to work. You know, George comes to your trailer, your run lines, until your bulletproof if you haven't already done it at home, which a lot of times you don't have time to do it, becau just have time to eat, shower, go to bed and wake it right. Yeah. So then you get there and you do a you know, a fifteen to twenty minute run with George and you got your stuff. Wow, and then you just go in and do it and you know the blocking is that's the fun part, right. I love the rehearsal process. Sure, but yeah, man, that those words. They never let you down. They never let you down.
Speaker 4: Oh god, you're right. They have lift you. They're so good and it's so the pace is so good. Everybody like clicks in so well, and like it's such a familiar pace like that you when you turn on the show, you know where you're going.
Speaker 3: You're just like on the ride.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't know how Lauren did it. That was the heaviest lift of all heavy lifts. I mean, I'm sure there have been, you know, rolls prior don't I don't know what they are, but I don't know that anybody had. You know, there's massive chunks of dialogue, okay in every scene at that pig.
Speaker 3: It's unbelievable, it is.
Speaker 4: I'm sure it made all of her jobs after that, very right, confusing, right, although she did have you know enough other things, like she brought that piece with her a little bit. So I love it, like I'm a fan of hers. I love watching her work because like she's so good at that thing. But yeah, man, oh man, that is just like a mental load to carry.
Speaker 3: The two of them too. They really just like ping pong balls. It's crazy.
Speaker 1: Weren't they just perfect? Wasn't alexis just perfect for that role?
Speaker 4: She is unreal, Like she wears her heart on her sleeve. She's everything you want to see from a sixteen year old going through this with her best friend and her mom.
Speaker 3: And it's so nuanced, it's so dynamic.
Speaker 4: It's like, I, I you just clean.
Speaker 3: She's like magnetic. I just clicking with her. I'm like, yes, I believe everything you're saying.
Speaker 4: It's fluid, it's open, it's vulnerable, like perfect, perfect casting. You couldn't have done better with the two of them.
Speaker 1: Vulnerable. The vulnerability is also charts with her magic. You just want to You just want to put her in your pocket and take care of me.
Speaker 4: Like if you burst into tears, it'd be okay next to her, Like you know, like I just I feel so safe with her and with them.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: It's so great, all right. So we're gonna start off at a Friday night dinner. So you know, Richard, Richard really fills the space, doesn't He comes in and he really commands to space. So Emily's in a tizzy about Richard's mom come to town. Rory wants to know more about her great grandmother, and we learned that. We learned that Richard's father is dead obviously, I mean, you know he is. What do you think Richard is in the sixties. He's in the sixties, yeah, at least so, I mean, if he had a if his father was very young when he had him, he could still be alive. But we just assumed that he was all right. Uh So, Tricksy's coming to town. Emily is not happy about it. They go down into the storege they go into the basement. Lorl I goes down in basement and finds Emily hysterical. We don't We've never seen her this way.
Speaker 3: Kelly Bishop is excellent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, a master.
Speaker 4: To watch her unhinged like that too, is so fun. It must have been very fun for her to play the opposite of the way that she normally the snarky kind of you know, ma tough, strict like elite mom, you know, well spoken, and then all of a sudden she's just coming undone.
Speaker 3: It was really fun to watch her do that.
Speaker 1: You know. Kelly was always so god, what's there's so many words. Elegant, Uh, she never seen stressed. Yes, she would just sort of walk on set and with a smile and you know, talk to everybody and let's go do the scene. And then she'd shift gears right before your eyes and bob ohm, there was Emily. And then when it was done, she would shift back to her elegant self and chokes and stories and she was a delight. She was just such a pro. She she really really Lauren and and Kelly really established what that set was, which is completely professional and the level of work obviously. So yeah, it was it was. It was really exciting to come to work every day because you knew you were going to be with a players and nobody was going to let you down.
Speaker 3: Everybody like showed up prepared.
Speaker 1: You have to, right, well, there was no way you could survive.
Speaker 3: No, you couldn't.
Speaker 4: Get Oh yeah, the people that did that.
Speaker 1: Boy, they had long days. It was bad for them. Yeah, that's rough. And and you know, we had a co star that came on once and wasn't prepared and and she had a bunch of scenes to do, and I just told her, I said, man, you know, I did I feel for you, right, I know you had a situation. I get it, but you're you're you're in the mouth of the lion now and it's going to be a long day. And it was.
Speaker 3: For everybody, right, it was.
Speaker 1: No, it was and great actress and all that. Don't get me wrong, but it's like, wow, this show will burn you down. And we had I remember we had a guy, you know, with a Broadway resume up the wazoo, right, he comes on and I think he thought he was prepared and they say action and he just go you know, he'd stare at me and he Oh my god, they really wanted this. I don't know if I can do this.
Speaker 5: Oh wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah. People people indd interesting.
Speaker 4: It is hard because on our show too, the pace is really fast. And they used to say, if you don't speak that fast, your stuff will get cut because there's too much to put in.
Speaker 3: So our thing was not the face of the writing. I mean it was. But also we learned like if you don't talk really fast, you're getting cut.
Speaker 1: Oh that's just like right down to it. Man, Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Oh that's funny. But that it is true. There's there's a certain skill and tone.
Speaker 3: And uh way that you that your show was presented and written.
Speaker 4: And if you can't keep up, it's like the people aren't on that on the sprint and you're in a marathon and you're like, wait a second, but it seems like everybody, all of your you know, your main people just like show the f up all the time because God deliver.
Speaker 3: It's so good.
Speaker 1: It's there's just no other way to survive. It's like going into the Roman colisseum man, it's like I'm ready to die. Let's go, you know, truly all right, So now now we're at now we're at Chilton, hmm, and we get to deal with uh, we get to deal with Paris and all of her stuff. So there, you know, Tristan. Tristan asked her out because Rory said, you know, she likes you. What do you think you know? And you know, he he, he doesn't have much of a thought process. So he goes, okay, oh, Chad, so so they uh so now we see we we knew what and and Liza does a beautiful job. She comes back after her little meeting in the hallway with Tristan and she's a little little glowy so cute. Yeah he asked me out. Yeah, she's just like like right in front of me. It's just like on the other side of the room. It's yeah, yeah, what do we do? What do you do? For?
Speaker 3: How stiff of a character?
Speaker 4: They they write Paris like for how stiff and kind of written and you know, geeky and that that she's written. Liza does such a beautiful job and making her so human, Like I'm just I'm I love Paris. I love Paris and Rory. I love seeing Paris' storyline here. It's so nice to see lies I have like an a storyline with you know, Tristan and going on her date and not really knowing and being kind of out of a fish out of water in her and her out of her comfort zone.
Speaker 3: Like I was.
Speaker 4: I was just like so charmed by her when you're not really supposed to be charmed by Paris, you know, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they put her in a situation that rehabilitates her pretty quickly. You know, it's like she's, Oh, this is what she's missing. She's missing the familial love and the warmth, and she's not getting that. She's extremely insecure, and you just feel for.
Speaker 3: You know, yeah, and helping her it's so cute.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. And Rory being mature enough to know that and rise above it and try to help her. That's really nice. It's nice to see.
Speaker 3: Did that costs up Blanca reference to Louie. I think this is the beginning of beautiful.
Speaker 1: So good? Okay, Amy, right, she just throws him down.
Speaker 3: They don't stop.
Speaker 1: So let me ask you this. Why do you think they sat next to each other on the in the first place, knowing what occurred at the party, Tristan and Rory.
Speaker 4: I think Tristan sat next to Rory.
Speaker 3: I think Tristan had to sit in himself next to.
Speaker 1: Rory, and he's always liked her always.
Speaker 3: It's very clear everybody likes Rory.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Can I thank you something? A personal question? Would you work on a school project over the weekend? Have you?
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't remember working on a school project over Louis I don't think maybe if.
Speaker 4: I went to Chilton and the stakes where we're higher and people were paying for my my you know, education, then maybe, but I don't know, I don't think.
Speaker 1: So, how do you think Paris? You know, Paris has real radar. How do you think she immediately recognizes the tension between Rory and Paris, you know, because they kissed and then they saw each other the next you know.
Speaker 3: No, you're right, that's a good question. She's like she doesn't like miss anything. She's so smart.
Speaker 4: She's just a little socially inept when it comes to her peers, and if it doesn't include academia, you know, but I don't think she misses anything.
Speaker 1: She's like a social shark. She just senses everything right, Like if there's in the water, she's gonna go right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Eliza is so good with the looks too, Like it's just she's you're like, oh my god, I can't get anything by you. But and just and like so sharp and like almost to the point where she doesn't have she she has no filter. She can't stop herself when she has to say something. You know, there's something about it that's like, of course you need that to call people out on their stuff.
Speaker 3: I love her, I really, I really love her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's just she's molded being inappropriate into an art form. It's actually appealing somehow.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right. Now we're at the Independence in Laurenlin and Michelle are arguing at the front desk over a reservation, and I gotta tell you that desktop mac is ancient either way.
Speaker 4: You know, there's not a lot of stuff that like ages your Guys show is as much, but like sometimes you think, I'm like.
Speaker 1: Wow, there are a couple. There's a couple those a couple of students where like, oh that didn't Emily calls Laurel I at work and ask her for the hat rack back, which is really funny. I gotta lug that thing. It's huge, It's massive, and it looks really heavy. It looks like it's all made of brass or something. I don't know. So Emily's in a tissy uh Laura I and Michelle have that great opening dialogue back and forth, and that was just like a little aside before she gets into the phone call. I mean, I mean, Amy really writes you like almost a full meal between these two. Yes, and it's just side stuff for entertainment purposes to get us into the phone call. It's it's wild and that's so good. And then it was like to have the regift conversation Laurela. I can't get over the fact that she received secondhand gift from her own mother. It's like, well, I didn't open the box, so.
Speaker 3: We didn't really use it, use it, honestly.
Speaker 4: There are some things that I you just you have to keep around and then you just have to pull out when that person shows.
Speaker 3: Oh really, I've been there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right. Rory in trist in talk, she swears to him that she didn't cry because of the kiss and that it was quite nice. And then Tristan says he's gonna swear off girls for a while, and they, you know, they have a pretty good banter going back and forth, and she said, like really, and she says, well, maybe it's a certain type of girl you should swear off. Do you think that Rory was trying to tell Tristan that she was available in any way, shape or form, because she's a high quality girl. She thinks of herself as a high quality girl.
Speaker 4: I think she was going to prepare us. Yeah, I think she was trying to just get uh huh. And I genuinely think it was out of the goodness of her heart. I don't think she was trying to divert nor do I think that she knew that Tristan had feelings for her at that point. So I think, honestly, she's just like the good thing about Rory is there's this she's so so smart, but there is like an innocence to her that she doesn't quite always know who's onto her who's not. Like it's just like this very like sweet green innocence that I think Loss does really well. And so.
Speaker 3: I think it was just a genuine gesture at this point.
Speaker 1: All right, now we meet Tricks, all right, Laurrela is pretty anxious to get to the dinner. Rory is shocked at her behavior. Rory and Laurel shove that huge hat rack in the car and bring it to dinner.
Speaker 3: It's humongous.
Speaker 1: Emily is very particular about the placement and the look of the at rack once it gets inside. And then we find out that Richard's pet name for his own mother is Tricks. Emily calls Tricks mom, Laurel I calls her grand Uh. Emily has put to work as Tricks talks to Laurel I and Rory Trix keep sending her off to get nuts or get is this is cheese? You want me to eat this cheese? Is this is what it is? You know? I mean, wow, what are we doing?
Speaker 3: Really great?
Speaker 1: Marian, Yeah, so good. And you know we find out the tricks. It's very direct. She admires Laureli's hard work. She thinks hard work is aportman. All right, So here's a question. Laura's anxiety about seeing her own mother. Does this show her insecurities about living up to her mother's expectations? M this scene, well, just overall Laurel I and her own mom. Do you think Laura cares anymore about living up to anybody's expectations?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't think so.
Speaker 1: I don't think so either.
Speaker 4: I think she's just reveling in this, in this enjoyment of of of Emily unhinged. Right now, She's finally like, ha, the t tables have turned. I've got you. You're truly unhinged, worried about like the location of a hat rack. She's you know, bringing nuts and cheese and things, and it's just so concerned and I think it's it's such an insight into Laura Lai and Emily's relationship that she doesn't quite ever see her in this in this light, and so to see for Laura, I to see her this way, and Rory having to be the adult and saying be nice to her.
Speaker 3: You know, are you enjoying this? Yes, she is right, she is all right.
Speaker 1: So Tricks is upset because Rory wants to go to Harvard, and she says, well, Richard and his father were Yale met And so that narrative is placed right there, smack dab in the middle of the dinner table. Trix wonders how the manager of an inn could pay for such a luxury as Chiltern. And then now we find out, Tricks finds out the whole arrangement Friday night dinners, and her the wheels start turning in her head. So Trick's reaction, how does this reflect uh general generational expectations or class divides? Yeah, for sure, you know that it offers that up on a platter. Weekend project. Rory brings the group donuts and coffee. This is this is your weekend homework that pair has insisted upon Tristan pulls Paris outside to talk to her. Right, that's when she asked her out on the date. The girls say he asked her out because someone else must have bailed twenty four hours earlier.
Speaker 4: That was nice of them, These girls, ma'am through it all.
Speaker 1: Is it, Louise? It's just like lying down on the two tables since like Saturday morning, what in the hell are we doing?
Speaker 3: Bring coffee?
Speaker 1: Right, They're immediately questioning why Tristan would even ask her out because they aren't each other's types. And then you know, everybody starts giving Paris tips about the date, which is which is nice? All right? So so Rory bringing the coffee and donates. You know, it's kind of a nurturing thing. She's she wants this to work. She's she wants you know, she's the person that is going to bring the fuel.
Speaker 4: That's the thing about Rory and Paris, I think is like Paris can be could be written like unlikable.
Speaker 3: There's a there's a she's having them show up on a Saturday.
Speaker 4: She's rigid, she's you know, there's a lot about her that it could be hard to like write. But Rory supporting Paris in this and helping her and having Tristan ask her out. Like this relationship is being kind of fostered, which is to be in their friendship.
Speaker 3: It doesn't seem like Paris has a ton of friends.
Speaker 4: So for Rory to you know, kind of reach out and be there for her, I think is very sweet. And we'll see later obviously too, where Paris doesn't know really where to turn.
Speaker 1: For She's going to make the weekend study hall thing work with her coffee, don't She's going to set Paris up on a date the whole I mean, being a great friend, what a great wingman to have, right, That's right? All right? Now, now we're we're in a Loreleizes house, loyalized late for dinner, okay, because she's going She's going to Friday night dinner and Rory is not. Is she to study? She's got study. So Roy sits there and eats chocolate cake in the kitchen and does her homework. And Paris shows up at the Gilmore House because she's insisting that she doesn't have much in the way of wardrobe and she wants Rory to help pick her out an outfit for her big date with with Tristan and Rory just throws her in some alauralized stuff, which is kind of funny.
Speaker 4: That's just where this magically she looks great in it, right right, it.
Speaker 1: Fits her perfectly.
Speaker 4: Paris walking through the door is so great, Like, you know, you have the cute little top that I don't really care about, but now I need the cute little top and I need the lipstick with the color in it versus just the tapstick, and like it's just it's really sweet, it's really relatable. I think the thing about like Your Guys show is like there's something for everybody. There's something for the mom who has the kid, and then there's something for the teens who are going through these real experiences where they're going on their first date. They don't know what to wear, they don't know how to act, they don't know what to talk about.
Speaker 3: So it's just really sweet.
Speaker 4: And then for Paris and Rory to talk about Dean and her kind of say I'm really sorry, do you miss him?
Speaker 3: And to see Rory have that vulnerable moment.
Speaker 4: Where she's like, yeah, I miss him a lot, just like plucks at your heartstrings.
Speaker 3: It's so sweet.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, And then the note cards pop out and Rory sees, what are these in Paris? Well, there are just some notes for the date in case we get tongue tied and all that. She goes, what about you? So you want to ask them about the Spanish inquisition? She's not romantic, not really, no, so we don't want to talk about that.
Speaker 3: Next to the index cards.
Speaker 1: So now we're at another dinner with Tricks. Okay, Tricks brought Rabbit in dry Ice for dinner, all the way from London, and then trist ask Laura I to walk with her, asking her if she borrowed money from her parents for Rory's school. That's when Tricks finds out and Emily she doesn't mind loaning Laura I the money, and Tricks just says, I do not care what you mind. You know, it's just like just lowering the boom on her every chance she gets totally. And then Tricks announces that she has a trust fund set up for Rory and is willing to give her access now to pay so pay for Chiltern on her own. And of course this is an immediate challenge to Emily's grip on these two, and Uh acts accordingly. So Emily says Rory won't need her anymore once she gets the money. Hmm, all right, and then Laura I comes home too. Seriously, Well, this is a this is a really big beat in this this piece right here. Yeah, now we see why this is an unexpected totally, this is an unexpected event in Emily's life, and it just but I thought she showed a real This is where we see Emily really vulnerable, really terrified that she's going to lose her daughter again. Yes, because as I don't know, as diabolical as Emily is and seems right, I mean, she's doing it for a reason because it's something she really needs. She just goes about it in a questionable way, right, totally, And so we see the real her real fear and that she's, God, I'm going to lose my daughter again. And I know this is a really messed up thing I did and how I did it, But you know, at least they're here once a week and I need that. She needs that. Yes, So I start feeling for a little bit, I thought.
Speaker 3: That was totally. Yeah, I think there's something it's important for.
Speaker 4: Emily to see those moments where you're like, oh, I see, and then for that to also then kind of trickle down.
Speaker 3: She doesn't.
Speaker 4: Now I don't agree with her projecting her own fears of her and Laura I on Laura I with Rory, which it does.
Speaker 3: But I do think that.
Speaker 4: It's important and it's relatable and it's real, like it's grounded, because then she gets in her head about you know, and Laura lies like, oh am, I gonna lose Rory if money changes everything.
Speaker 3: She has, freedom, she has all these things.
Speaker 4: Is she just gonna leave? She's just gonna leave, you know. So she definitely does. But then you have like the wonderful sounding board of Suki, who's like, you know, she's like, nothing's gonna change your guys' relationship. I mean, god, I love Suki, and Melissa McCarthy is just obviously she's incredible. But it's in a it's a nice sounding board for Laurel I too, because she needs to hear that, because she has the anxieties of Emily in her ear that Rory's going to go travel the world and she's going to move out sooner and they're gonna, you know, their whole relationship is going to shift. So I thought that was a really great, powerful storyline.
Speaker 1: For sure. You know, something that life changing for for Rory and for all of them. I should have been discussed in private, right. It's like they did it right in front of them, And it's like, why didn't Tricks just talk to her son about it, right, And I'll talk to Emily and I'll let it. You know, we'll get back to you in this kind you know, that's kind of how it works in real life. But she's just like sort of like, you know, trumpeting it out to the entire family right in the living room. It's like, whoa. But it's interesting, you know, that's I guess that's Tricks. That's her style exactly. Just vomited all out and get what she wants right, you know, and watch everybody spinning around.
Speaker 4: For I do think Lorlai is a good match for Tricks though, mm hmm. She can hold her own with Tricks.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't think there's anybody who who Laurla can't hold her totally. She can't hold her correct correct anyway that came out. She is formidable opponent for sure. So we see, you know, Emily's hysterical. Now they're alone, Richard and Emily alone, and she lets him know, you know, all of her fears come out. That's that was a very tender scene for me though. That was wonderful. All right, now, uh, Rory and Paris are together. Paris had a great night with Tristan. She didn't use her note cards at all. And we find out that Tristan just is not interested in the second date, a romantic date. He just wants to be friends. She's left five messages on his on his voicemail so far and that morning and he's just like, whoa, yeah, it's like, you know that we can be friends. And you just see Paris just dies slowly right there. It's very sad, very sad. But I thought she handsled it very well, you know. Yeah. I mean that's that's that's a tough tough blow to take there, right in front of everybody, you know. That's the thing about this show, and all this stuff happens right in front of everybody.
Speaker 3: If it doesn't, everybody finds out about it real quick, right.
Speaker 1: And Tristan says he likes someone else, and he hesitates to admit that it's Summer. So do you think I think it's it's Rory. I think he does like her, that's really yes, And I think it was a good idea for Rory A Lorli not to tell Rory about the money, agreed. It really it's like it wasn't necessary to tell.
Speaker 3: Her, right, And I think that uh when Rory.
Speaker 4: Of course, Tristan is the one who's like, well, it was a great you know, Rory's idea to have me ask you out, and then Liza like flips on her, which is so good at but come on, Tristan, come on, But buddy.
Speaker 3: Doesn't help anybody, like anybody.
Speaker 1: It's like in golf parlance, I think with uh, with like, you know, Tristan is in between clubs. I know he doesn't want to use the he doesn't in Paris. He can't see it Rory. He's intimidated by Rory. He just doesn't. He doesn't know what to do. No, he doesn't here, there's no move there and he friends zoned Paris real fast. But just I guess, you know, merciful, he knew that wasn't ye tea. Now we're at tea and this is really anxiety inducing scene where Laurel is going to blow the money. It's not and this this is money versus life, right, it's like real life, real and and it always comes out on that. This is why I love this show because it's like, again, nobody cares about your money. This is about my daughter. What's best for my daughter. And if it's me and my daughter we end up together with no money, that's okay because we will figure it out. That's what I love about this show.
Speaker 3: This is a good point. It's a very good point.
Speaker 1: And you know, tricks over here is everything and I really you know, Lauren sort of shifts gears into her drama. You know, the comedy chops are so refined and so good, and then she shifts gears into the drama chops and they're there, they're just and she displaced them in the scene, right, yes, and she and she she's this is why I could never understand why she didn't win every award. Why do you think, why do you think, Jenna, let's let's talk about this. Why wasn't she nominated every single year? Why do you do you know of a better performance from two thousand to two thousand and seven on television? I mean there's some great performances.
Speaker 3: Were you guys in the comedy category?
Speaker 4: Are you in the in the drama category? I'd say drama, right, but you never know with these papers.
Speaker 1: Don't know, I forget.
Speaker 3: Uh, you know, it's it's hard to say.
Speaker 4: But even so, I don't know that there was a better performance on screen at that time.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I just.
Speaker 4: Get overlooked and I can't. I don't understand it. Sometimes the show just doesn't like it. It's so popular with the fans and it has its own, you know, its own phenomenon, but then the award shows kind of like, I don't know, they stay away from it. But I am just I'm shocked. I'm ventually because it wasn't edgy enough.
Speaker 1: It was too sure, it was too soft. Maybe hmmm, it was too.
Speaker 4: It really should have won on everything kind yeah, for everything. I don't I don't understand it. I mean, I guess she was nominated for the Globes. It looked like at one point, but like not enough, not enough. Yeah, she really deserved it all like.
Speaker 1: These like you know, the Friends cast, they're nominated every year for everything, and they went and they should and they deserved it, right, But how do you deny you know, Lauren Kelly, you know ed herm how do you deny these people recognition when the work is like it's right there out in front of everybody's face. It's like, do better than this? And how does how does Amy get denied? And and you know, you know what happened on on Masel yay, right, yes, you know she gets all the trophies Dan and and Amy get the trophies finally, but.
Speaker 3: Wow, people caught on finally.
Speaker 1: I just stre it is. It's very confusing anyway. So the upshot of this scene is we don't we don't care about the money. And Laura, l I, in her heart of hearts, understands why Emily is freaked out. Emily confesses and Laurela I, you know, has some compassion for her own mother. And we'll just keep things the same. You know, you can keep control because you may be a tyrant. Tricks is a dictator, and like, we don't want no party, that's right, It's like whoa. And I think Emily apologizing, you know, that's real growth and that's a real big step. And I think their relationship, you know, mending that relationship.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she realized what they were both acting a little childish over this whole thing and could.
Speaker 3: Have been handled differently. And you know, I think they both saw their their ways.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's only two hundred and fifty thousand bucks. And man, when they sneeze in the nose, I thought it was like twenty million.
Speaker 3: I guess back then though it was a little bit more.
Speaker 1: Uh No, it's a lot of money. That's a lot of money for sure.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: Now we at the boss stop Lorealizer to pick up Roy. That was nice. I really like that.
Speaker 4: Uh it's nice to end the show about the episode that way, and for them to.
Speaker 3: Be so.
Speaker 4: Just up front about everything, Like I just love their uh their relationship and how open they are and you know, we love to see it.
Speaker 1: Hey kidd, and you know you just lost out of quarter of a million dollars. Well, but do you want.
Speaker 3: To go to Luke's Yeah, exactly and the stars hollow.
Speaker 1: It ain't about money. The currency is. The currency is caring about other people and that's love. Community and that's the currency. It's it's having each other's backs. That's nice.
Speaker 7: Hey there, folks, It's d J.
Speaker 3: Hol and Amy Robach. Don't miss Morning Run every weekday morning Monday through Friday.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we'll be covering the biggest stories, everything you need to know, breaking news, politics, pop culture on our daily podcast Morning Run and of course it has a little bit of our own personal flare to it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right. Make sure to subscribe now so every day when you wake up, you've got the Morning Run waiting for you.
Speaker 7: Listen to Morning Run wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 5: Welcome to Casual Chaos, where I'm telling my story unfiltered, unedited and unapologetic for a moments you didn't see on camera, to secrets nobody's dared to spill. I'm bringing you behind the scenes like never before. I'm talking love life because let's be real here, it's been a journey wellness and the truth behind the headlines.
Speaker 3: And of course I've got the receipts.
Speaker 5: Plus I'll be sitting down with some of the biggest named in pop culture for casually chaotic conversations you won't hear anywhere else. So for yourself and espresso martini and get ready because once you start listening, you'll be waking up in the morning thinking about so many things. Listen to Casual Chaos starting on March twenty fourth on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: You met Michelle Lally in the hit Bravo show The Valley. You met me literally during the most difficult chapter in my life. Now it's time for you to meet the real met Michelle SENNI yes, I changed my name and I want you to follow me on my journey to the pursuit of sassiness. So much has happened to me before, during, and after the show. Before you can really understand the eight weeks that you saw on TV, I think you have to know what was going on from the very beginning, from being raised by two immigrant parents, paying my own way through college and working at Hooters, to starting my own real estate empire, getting married, having a baby during COVID, to that very same marriage falling apart on national TV, to losing my mom to eventually finding love again. There is so much to unpack and share. I'm on the pursuit of happiness and most importantly, I'm on the pursuit of satiness. Listen to Pursuit of Satiness starting on March seventeenth on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Jenna, Now it's time to talk about yellow Fever.
Speaker 3: What a crazy time.
Speaker 1: So I do. This movie with Jenna was it twenty seventeen. We filmed at New York.
Speaker 3: City before that a little earlier.
Speaker 1: Was it before two thousand and seven? And that was after it was twenty seventeen. I think, so, yeah, okay, okay, so tennis movie together. And I know you traveled around with her, right you want to a little.
Speaker 3: Bit a little bit? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Where did you go? Did you go to? You went to Santa Barbara.
Speaker 4: I didn't make it to Santa Barbara, but we were around in La and we were around other I think New York. I went to back to New York to do some stuff.
Speaker 1: Do you go to London? Did I go to London? There was like a London festival. I don't know if I was a London film festival.
Speaker 3: Maybe it made it in there. I don't know that I went.
Speaker 4: I went to rain Dance and I go for that. I don't remember where was it. It's in La or no, in London? In London, Oh my god.
Speaker 3: I can't remember.
Speaker 4: Maybe just Cat and Jan went to London because they were already there.
Speaker 1: I just remember, you know what I remember about that shoot? I remember like the dressing room was a bedroom and a Harlem uh condo. We're in Harlem shooting this thing.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, let's paint the picture a little bit, because yeah, go ahead. We were doing this indie film, and indie films have quite low budget. But you know, you bring in a cast of some good people who are working, who have some names, who you know they're like this person's attached, and this person's attaching.
Speaker 3: Like great, let's do it. Let's go have a good time. And so you have like this.
Speaker 4: Really compact shoot for an indie film, and you know that there's probably not going to be trailers for you to go back to. There's just bedrooms in the townhouse where you're shooting everything. The whole movie takes place in this townhouse that they make other locations and aside from Korean barbecue, which we also did, but.
Speaker 3: It's just crazy, we.
Speaker 4: Did like a night shoot in a Crea town and I just remember being so hot. It was summer, right and I was in a wig because my character had a way, but it was and they had to turn the air off while we were shooting because the sound so I'm just dripping so what off down my face. There's close ups I'm shooting and they're like, please hold the camera.
Speaker 3: We have to go dab. It's just sweating from this wig. But we had a good time.
Speaker 4: It was so crazy, and there's something about those like coming from shows that have these big budgets and you know, everything is so large in size and scale to then going to New York in a townhouse and doing a movie like that that you just, you know, you want to do good work and work with good people.
Speaker 1: But that's the thing, right, I would rather do that because that's why I got in the business in the first place. It was to do theater, and it was to do independent film totally and work for the love of it, not for the money of it, but for the love of the work, right, and love working with the people that you're working with. And you know, I find in those situations that all this bs that I somewhat object to in this TV business is you got you got a number after your name or before your name, so you're that number, right, and you're expected to act like that number, right. And it's just like you know, indie film and sometimes in in theater that I did, they throw a bunch of people together. Nobody had any seniority or hierarchy. There was no hierarchy. It was just like, let's throw a bunch of people in together, best idea wins in and let's let's just go ahead and rock this thing totally. And that's when I think you get the best results because you can find yourself in these situations where it's just like everybody's got a title and everybody's got a number, and you know, number three is an acting like he's trying to act like a number one, and number one doesn't act like a number one, and there's no leadership, and it's like, what, Yeah, this is not the army. This should not be treated like the army or a corporate structure, that's right, you know, it's like, get the peeps. And that's what I felt that was. And Kat the director was very open to ideas and rewrites and suggestions, and she wanted to make the scenes great. You know.
Speaker 3: Yes, very collaborative.
Speaker 1: I thought she was very smart and very collaborative. Yeah, agreed, And when she heard a good idea, she recognized it, you know. And that's that's why I got into this business. Yeah, to do that is to create that good work. Yeah, what's so, what's your favorite moments from filming?
Speaker 4: Me dripping beaten side on my face, no, no, just working with all of you guys.
Speaker 3: And I think that it was Kat's story and and and.
Speaker 4: So it was really fun to collaborate with her because we were telling her story, but she was so open to my experience, and and then for us to make sure that like you know, between our relationship and our characters in the movie, that it wasn't there was no kind of creepy element to it because of the.
Speaker 3: Age gap and you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: And so there was just all these things that we were always looking out for. So I think the collaborative, kind of creative side of it was really fun. I remember us doing that night shoot in Korea Town and we were like, oh God, but it was a really fun scene to shoot. I also feel like for me at that time, coming off of Glee, where there was like eighteen characters in a scene and there's just always like so much hubbub and there's you never very rarely got very intimate scenes with like one to two people. And I had luckily been able to do a little bit of theater right before Yellow Fever and then another indie film which I had a really fun time on.
Speaker 3: So like I was kind of in this like this really.
Speaker 4: Nice train of doing smaller work and I think like being able to have our scenes at night and just like one on one and working together was really fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. I missed that too, one of the long stuff and intense scenes and you just get to work. Yeah, I love that stuff too. I love this.
Speaker 4: There's also like a scene where the boy runs away, the brother comes back, he comes back.
Speaker 3: Right, and we're all there and like we rarely.
Speaker 4: Got to all work together and that way too. So the whole cast was there was so small. It's just like us and you know, a couple of other people. So that was really nice.
Speaker 1: Well what Yellow Fever Part two is it coming? What do you think if you're listening? Could use a little bigger budget, right, totally totally yeah, Yeah, definitely get some numbers by our names. Make sure.
Speaker 3: His boss right exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, down't outshine the number one.
Speaker 4: Don't you don't you come for me?
Speaker 1: Jenna was great catching up. We're out of time. You got to come back, love to you got to come back, and then you've got to come back again and again. And we'll talk about more. Giler, because I know you're a super fan. You like to talk about this stuff I do. And and one thing I didn't mention is your your husband is a Yale man. Yes, and he stayed in the dorm Rory's thing right, correct, stay in the real dorm. Yes, the real That's a nice little piece of trivia. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Uh, keep raising them babies up. Thank you all the best, great scene.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: You got it. We'll talk soon, all right, jen as what everybody and that's going to do it, folks for I am all in again with me, your host Scott Potterson, and remember, best fans on the planet and where you lead, we will follow. Stay safe everyone.
Speaker 7: Dot dot.
Speaker 1: Everybody we'll forget. Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In Podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.