Speaker 1: Look may oh, I see you and look over there.
Speaker 2: Is that the culture?
Speaker 1: Yes, wow loves culture.
Speaker 3: Hello, Hi everybody, what a crowd I thought.
Speaker 4: He said that the chairs were the microphe's like the chairs.
Speaker 5: Are the mic He did make it sound like the chairs were the.
Speaker 4: But they're not.
Speaker 2: He said they were going to be like magic, and we didn't have to do anything and we had to pick not up.
Speaker 1: No, is this magical?
Speaker 4: Walt everything. We love you, hye you guys.
Speaker 3: I am so excited to be here, uh here at the ninety second Street y where culture is mother, and here I sit with.
Speaker 4: And here I sit with two little bros.
Speaker 5: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: If you know, you know, And.
Speaker 4: Here's what I know.
Speaker 3: The razor tongued legends to my left have made the deserved acrobatic leap from pop culture commentators on the Solo Cup sidelines to pop culture icons on the Golden hilltop. And we are all so proud. And your individual accomplishments in every possible medium are so impressive and storied, be it music, film, television, bonobos. But tonight is a night for the readers, Katie's publicists, and finalists, all of whom are represented tonight. So I just want to welcome one more time, Matt Rogers and Bowen Yang.
Speaker 2: It's like it's beyond wish fulfillment to have you here. I mean, like this is when we started the podcast. I think it was like a way that we could get together and just talk about the things that we loved.
Speaker 1: And it came from that place.
Speaker 6: And then when you became a true topic on our podcast because of our love for you, and then you came on and it was just I think this moment in the podcast that we both look back on as one of the.
Speaker 1: Highs of doing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I just I mean, if you guys know the Maggots and Magic episode of Last Culture is this it was like three people exploding of joy, and I just, I just it's just the coolest that you're doing this and we just think you're the coolest and you know, oh my.
Speaker 3: God, well I know, I feel like if you're a reader, you feel this way where it the magic of your podcast is you make Suiti's of us all where it feels like we are it's just the three of us sitting somewhere, but you're like, all right, I'm with headphones and they don't they don't know me but I'm talking with them.
Speaker 4: And you know, I think I've.
Speaker 3: Had this experience with other podcasts before, where when they get really successful, there's this little like, oh, it's not just me anymore. But it has never felt that way. It's because joy and your friendship is so the the the basis for everything, and it just is the bedrock. So it's it's it never feels like you're turning out to the audience or it's a performance. It just always feels so authentic, and I just feel so proud.
Speaker 4: Uh and uh, yeah, come on.
Speaker 5: We're we're just a piccolo and a bassoon over a here.
Speaker 7: We're not. Yeah, we're that's our tambour and that's and that's that's all we bring. Is just we're two squawking voices. And somehow, somehow that's that's that's transmute into something really so meaningful to us.
Speaker 5: And yeah, that's it. I sound an.
Speaker 7: Octave lower than I usually do, and I think it's really worth.
Speaker 4: The real you this is.
Speaker 1: But the change in your voice is so real.
Speaker 5: Oh. Over the over the years of the podcast.
Speaker 2: Yes, I don't know if you ever go back and listen to like really old ones, but one time I went back and you were piccoloish girl.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I was. You were piccolo ish and.
Speaker 1: I was sort of like a hyper piccolo.
Speaker 2: Got it, Like, what's a hyper Piccolo like Helium?
Speaker 3: I guess helium Piccolo Piccolo. And now we've matured, yeah.
Speaker 2: Into like sort of I'm losing Piccolo to be honest. Yeah, well it'll still go deep deep, but it's it's not it's more deep.
Speaker 1: Sure, it's the years.
Speaker 3: Wait, let's go back to the beginning right off, if we may come on.
Speaker 4: Out hell, talk to me about the beginning.
Speaker 1: Where were you? What were you?
Speaker 4: Who were you like?
Speaker 1: Where?
Speaker 4: What were your apartments? Like, what were your dreams?
Speaker 8: Like?
Speaker 3: What was happening? And how did you come up with the idea to do this? Why have you done this?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 7: Yeah, there is like a there's a new detail in this in the origin story that I think is really important, which is that I remember that it was at a Think coffee on Mercer Streets.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, yeah, that think that was like that's like an iconic thing.
Speaker 5: That's an iconic thing. And is it still there?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes, you were there today? How is that.
Speaker 7: Do they still do they still have like the Maffi, the most do they still coffee.
Speaker 5: They still they have like the most beat up board games.
Speaker 7: It's fine, No, I I went every day to think coffee on Mercer.
Speaker 2: Well, we used to record on the corner of Mercer where dojo used to be.
Speaker 5: These are for my ass dojo.
Speaker 1: And when they got.
Speaker 2: Rid of dojo or they replaced dojo with like a knockoff dojo, that.
Speaker 5: Was very hard yeah, for us, for the community.
Speaker 2: So we went to school around there and like we I think it was it was at that thin coffee that we sat down and we had like a Google doc.
Speaker 1: This is all coming back to me now too.
Speaker 2: We literally were like, okay, what could ideas for the podcast even be? Because we we thought for a second it was gonna be like a choose your own adventure.
Speaker 1: Classic Bow and Yang idea.
Speaker 7: Logistically impossible idea like to go down to go to the library, go to episode nine hundred and fifty two, Like it's that that's crazy. Why did I ever think that could be?
Speaker 1: And I was like, what if we talk? Yeah, And then I think it was this.
Speaker 2: But literally out of necessity of needing to have segments like our producers Forever Dog, which is where we started, and we yes, we and they said like, well, can you have some segments and we came up with I don't think so, because it was something that we would just say to each other whenever we thought the other.
Speaker 5: Was being.
Speaker 2: Not right, yeah, not right, like, oh, yeah, I don't think so, honey, no sweet no, Sweetie.
Speaker 7: I don't know, Sweetie is like the addendum that that's kind of gotten chopped off.
Speaker 5: It was I don't think so, honey, no.
Speaker 2: No, sweetie, Yeah, no, Sweetie has gotten lost the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, kind of the Katie of I don't.
Speaker 2: Think yeah, yeah, but no, Sweetie was definitely in there. And then we had another segment, which was the Culture of the Week, which is where we said what the culture of the week was, and it was always Disney related and the bit just wasn't landing.
Speaker 5: It wasn't every.
Speaker 7: Culture of the Week thing was an element of the Disney parks. Yeah, it was like what Turkey Legs one week to Turkey Legs Tower of Terror another Yeah, of course, just highlighting the did.
Speaker 4: You start having guests or from the beginning.
Speaker 5: Yeah, from the beginning the second episode.
Speaker 7: Our first guest was Anna Dresine and a very good friend of ours and then I think I think we only started having no guests like forty or five years in like during the pandemic. Yeah, was where or during Lockdown was where we were like, Okay, this is it's harder. It's both harder and easier to book people, but let's just like if we can just get on a zoom then like that's what the that's what the easiest thing is.
Speaker 5: I think I'm getting this timeline right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it felt like the Pandemic was this moment where the podcast got like a weird and this just feels so weird to say, but it really felt like.
Speaker 1: How are we going to keep doing this?
Speaker 2: Because I remember Bowen had gotten Saturday Night Live and I had moved to LA and it was like this question of how are you going to do the podcast? And I was like, well, I'll travel back and we'll always be in person because the podcast has to be in person for sure. It can't exist if it's not in person, right, And it was like this thing of we had made this decision and then the world made a decision for us that we were going to have to be virtual, which ended up being this nice, cool thing because then we could reach out to people regardless of where they were in the world, because everyone now had Zoom proficiency and they could log on and be our guests from anywhere, which was fun for a minute.
Speaker 7: Yeah it's still fun. Yeah, I still don't mind a zoom guest, but.
Speaker 4: Matt hates it. I'm just so happy that you're both back in New York.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 5: Are you are you a lifer here? You think, yes, yes, yes.
Speaker 2: I I think I've realized I'm a lifer here in leaving, in leaving, I've now come back, and I'm like, because it's it's like it is true, like you talk about that, think coffee like where you recorded the podcast. I remember when I had been away from New York for a couple of years because of the pandemic.
Speaker 1: I had come back actually to do the Bonobo shoot, and.
Speaker 2: Wow, I can say a lot, but but I was, I got a little and I was it was raining or the shoot. Yeah, for the shoot, but I remember I was free, like use the space something.
Speaker 1: They really said, something that really said we could have been high for that.
Speaker 5: Totally. It was a very straight they were. They were lovely. That was a great experience.
Speaker 1: It was so fun.
Speaker 2: There was flamingos anyway, Yeah, there was no real like that was plastic plastic. Yeah, And but I remember I was walking around New York and I hadn't been there in so long, and it was like it was raining, it was like February or something, and I just I had was feeling cold on my skin in the rain and walking around in the Lower East Side where we went to school, and just seeing all these landmarks, like remember when that happened there, that happened there, you'd only have history here because I kind of we both kind of grew up here. And then I got really emotional and I was like, this is my home, you know, like we're all so lucky that New York because our home. And I just feel like, you know, I'm again very happy to be back as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, welcome, welcome.
Speaker 7: But in LA, there's there's there's no memory like you you don't see like there's no emotional landmarks in LA.
Speaker 5: There have to be.
Speaker 1: There's barely any emotion in l A.
Speaker 3: Wow, here's my question. As you guys have gotten so successful.
Speaker 8: Uh uh, delete delete time, delete time, I'm shocked that you can't hear a filter in the podcast that like now that you are have.
Speaker 4: More ears and eyes and uh.
Speaker 3: I just am so pleased that you don't seem to censor yourselves at all.
Speaker 1: Probably good more but I love it.
Speaker 3: It just it just it's just getting better and better.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: And I wonder how do you protect that unfilteredness as do you just try not to think about that more people are listening to you.
Speaker 7: Well, I think the fact that so to go back to the think coffee, the fact that Matt's idea was why don't we just talk? I mean that is the lowest concept idea, but in the best way. No, no, no, no, no, no, no, oh my god, Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's what That's why it works.
Speaker 7: But why it works, the reason we've kept doing it is because it's the easiest, like most turn key thing. It's like we besides culture, the only thing that's gone is culture of the week. That's the only difference from the from the beginning of the podcast. And I think the reason, I the reason maybe there's I think there's a little bit of a filter. There's just there's a light gauze of a filter on the show now. Maybe because I think we we we don't want to like run a foul of anybody or necessarily it's weird.
Speaker 2: To want to be in the industry that you have so much shit to talk about. Yes, right, you know what I mean. And we were doing it backstage, you know what I mean, and we were like, oh, this will be just this without shit talking people. But it's funny because like things happen and then all of a sudden you meet that person, right, and it's weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, yeah.
Speaker 3: Can you ever tell that their publicist is like just you know, they said your show was written by third.
Speaker 2: Grade And let me say a show I would.
Speaker 1: Die to be on.
Speaker 7: N it's like a nineties primetime soap. It's amazing.
Speaker 2: Thank you for saying that, because finally today I was like, you know what it is. It's just a soap, and it's actually quite a good soap. Yes, because on a soap, like who wants to hear about like people's that could really actually happen. No, I want to hear that Bradley Jackson was at the insurrection.
Speaker 1: Yes, of course I want to hear about that. Of course she should go to space.
Speaker 7: I forgot oh spoilerler Betty's watching.
Speaker 3: It, but no, well I've told them I watched all of season one have skipped season two and last.
Speaker 4: Night started three. Yes, so I've seen Bradley in space. Oh okay, but I don't know why she's there.
Speaker 5: Why is she there?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: She was supposed to go to the border. Do you want to hear my theory? Yes, this is my theory.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So I think Jennifer Aniston was supposed to actually go to space, and I think that was where her and the John Hamm of it all was going to take off. And I think that that was like actually pretty heavy handed metaphor that they at the last second either bailed because they didn't have enough for reason that episode, or Jennifer said, I don't like how I'm gonna look in the space thing.
Speaker 7: Right, I don't want if I'm floating around, I can't like turn my face. Yeah, it feels like something Jennifer Anison said, yes, I want to go to space and then said it the last second, No, I don't want to go to space because that turn in the episode didn't make sense, which strengthens the series overall.
Speaker 4: Yes, right, I agree, And.
Speaker 3: I think I understand the draw to Morning Show in that I feel like right now in acting, there is a real war on choices and steaks. It's a lot of to me sleepy status in movies of like.
Speaker 4: I'm better than you and I'm a little sleepy and just trying to get through this day.
Speaker 3: And on the Morning Show, it's like everyone is going for it the highest stakes, like at war with the camera and there's partner and I as someone who doesn't I don't watch housewives, but I do understand the like, sorry.
Speaker 2: There were some gaps and it's okay, like we turn around and like bring Whitfield this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I do feel like those are Blanche Duboa women playing to the mezzanine in any sleepy status world, so that I understand.
Speaker 7: The Morning Show is a show of Blanche Dubois for sure.
Speaker 2: It's just honestly, like when I realize it's Wednesday, I.
Speaker 1: Get so excited.
Speaker 2: I get so excited, especially because all year, all season long, I've thought it premieres on Fridays. So I was waiting till Friday, and then I found out, oh my god, there's a new episode.
Speaker 1: It's been out for two days.
Speaker 2: When did you find out? Oh I found out on a Thursday. Okay, So this is why it was good. It is because I thought it was coming on Friday. Then my friend Abe said to me, you know what comes out on Wednesdays. You can watch it now. I left hanging out with him and went home and watched it. It is so fun. And I heard that what happens in the finale is the craziest thing the show has ever done.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 7: And I'm so happy this is taken up this much time. Has someone told you what happens already?
Speaker 2: No one's told me what happens because I told let's just say, I met someone in the wild who works on the show, and so I had a litany of questions.
Speaker 3: And were they offended by what you have said about people?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 2: They thought it was very apt. Okay, and they were like, they were like, yeah, and I just heard a little bit about the inner workings in a way that I'm obsessed. Oh my god, that unfortunately goes through a filter because I can't get out here and say, okay.
Speaker 3: I'm sure you have been asked and answered this a million times. But to go to the way beginning, yes, uh, have you already answered this a million times? What is the culture that made you say culture is for you?
Speaker 5: Wow?
Speaker 7: I think I think we've both said privately to each other, like our answers change all the time.
Speaker 5: I think you have. I'm a little bit more like, I don't know, not as defined.
Speaker 3: I think charged eye contact across the rim with hot actors.
Speaker 5: With hot actors, Yeah, the only time that's happened.
Speaker 2: I think mine are like very mainstream millennial in that. Like I so, American Idol was a really big deal for me because because I loved music, and music is actually what I love most of all.
Speaker 1: And so why is that true? It's true? The way they laughed so hard?
Speaker 5: Have you heard of Christmas Comes at November third?
Speaker 1: True? I said, I.
Speaker 2: Won't stop until my Wikipedia, says Matt Rogers' American comedian, writer, actor, television host and recording artists, and.
Speaker 1: Then I'll stop.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 2: But anyway, like when I was watching American Idol at like eleven or twelve, yeah, sure, it was definitely the Kelly Clarkson of it all.
Speaker 1: It was. It was big for me.
Speaker 2: There was the rooting for like, you know, this incredible powerhouse talent. But for me, what was so exciting about it was when they would do the theme weeks of motown and sixties music and seventies music and eighties music, and I suddenly had like a vocabulary for all this music history, to the point where I then went into school and my art teacher was like, today, we're going to listen to Aretha Franklin, and I knew all the songs. And that's when I realized just how much music was out there and how much I loved every genre. And I think it really got me very interested, because I'm the kind of person where when I love something, I have to know everything about it. So for that, I would say that was really the And then honestly, like a lot of people that ask like what's your comedic influence and sensibility, I can answer that question. But there's nothing funnier to me than the way some of these people sing.
Speaker 4: People on American Idol like uh.
Speaker 2: Okay, so in an American Idol performance, like it would usually end with like a sustained belt and that is so funny, or like it was the style it was, yeah, and the Mariah Selene Whitney style of singing like I or just like the existence of pop stars in spaces I think is so funny. I think that is why ultimately I am sort of like doing as this bit that's become real, like me as this like pop star is because I do think that there's something really funny. And I've always thought there was something really funny about like capitalism and pop music, and like the Christmas thing is just I just think there's something so funny about it. And so to embody it, I think does connect to who I was as a kid. Yeah, And so that's what I would say for right now, like in my life the culture that moved me, that like literally brought me out into the backyard and like I would sing and I thought that no one could hear, and I wished to be on that show, and you know, I wanted to perform, but it was at odds with where I was growing up and that tension, like I can really directly trace back to that show, which doesn't feel very special because that's everyone in America, that's our age's American idol.
Speaker 1: No, but there is something you.
Speaker 4: Were voting every week and watching it.
Speaker 2: I was voting every week, and sometimes I would vote for everyone just to get one person out. Wait, I would vote strategically and politically.
Speaker 4: Vote for everyone but one.
Speaker 7: But yes, it brings there and bring it just it fucks the numbers up.
Speaker 8: Wow.
Speaker 2: I was so basically, Jennifer Hudson being eliminated radicalized me.
Speaker 5: Wow, to game the system.
Speaker 1: It radicalized me.
Speaker 4: Incredible.
Speaker 2: Don Stevens was my enemy and this means very little to anyone. Ants were calling me after Jennifer Hudson was eliminated asking why, and I was like, I don't know, Mureen, I'm trying to figure out myself.
Speaker 4: Were you watching like by r sit were you with?
Speaker 2: My family loved it, my sister and my sister actually, to give her credit, was the first one to say, I like Kelly, and I was like, no, it's tomorrow, it's about Tamarra. And then it so clearly was about both of them, but it was about Kelly, right. I remember she's saying stuff like that there on Big Ben Week and I was like, I was with my grandmother and my grandmother said, that is the most talented person I think I've ever seen, and I was like, I think you're right. I was like, I think she's such a star. I'm obsessed with her.
Speaker 1: I love her. And then you know, years go by and like, yeah.
Speaker 4: Were you ever gonna audition for American Idol?
Speaker 2: I would never have gotten to the place where I was comfortable enough with myself to do that. But I remember the second season there was a contestant named Matt Rogers and he still hangs out to this day, like he was like hosting stuff on like CMPT and stuff. But I remember when he went out and auditioned, I was like, well, now I can never be on the show, right, And it was the first time I knew what like a situational depression was, right wow, but it was American now for me, it consumed my life. And then other things like when I watched Lost, I know I wanted to write television and you know, just the culture of the island. It has really steeped into my bones. But yes, yeah, so that's.
Speaker 5: What it is for me.
Speaker 7: Beautiful, fabulous answer mine. I'm gonna say. Parallel track of like pop worship was this Taiwanese artist named Teresa Tang and then at the same time Selene Dion because it was it was Montreal, she was our our, our god, and you know, we would like go into we would do field trips downtown and go to the cathedral and it's called like Cathedral, Notre Dame or something. But we just as kids knew it as the church where Selene got married to Reneo Jalill And it was just watching her on TV and like watching her switch from speaking English to speaking French, singing in English singing to French. It blowing my mind that someone was bilingual, even though I was bilingual, like.
Speaker 5: Wild and it.
Speaker 7: Was something really fucked me, and like this is true for all of us, Like when she put out that video this year about her her illness, like it was I I sobbed and I'm not a sober but like it really fucking destroyed me because this is someone who God like means so much to people. And then and then to go and then like with the whole like Titanique of it all, like I got to bring my pick it up and mom and my sister were in town a couple of weeks ago. I like, it's the only piece of theater that I can take my mother to where she would understand what was happening and appreciate it.
Speaker 5: She knows Titanic, she knows Celine Dion.
Speaker 7: It's it's monoculture for like a Chinese auntie, you know, And that I mean that that that is like incredibly meaningful that like you get to like share it up and then it gets downloaded back onto you or whatever. Like my mom was the one to like put on Selene on the TV, and so I think it's Selene.
Speaker 1: I love that American. I thought Selene get this. So I was too.
Speaker 2: I too was obsessed with Selene at like seven. And then there was this other pop diva. Her name was Mariah Carey, and I remember at the time, this is how you know that stan wars are actually something that's deep within us. I remember feeling so threatened by Mariah Carey because I was a Selene's And then when I actually realized.
Speaker 1: What Mariah's deal was, I was like, I'm jumping ship.
Speaker 2: That's my girl, Like the diva's live with Mariah Selene, Oh yeah, I mean Aretha that I mean that was like the best time in my life.
Speaker 3: To be a PA at diva's lives must have been the most terrifying experience possible.
Speaker 1: We need that again so bad.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, we do.
Speaker 1: Like we need.
Speaker 2: Ari, we need Kelly, we need who Olivia, we need Beyonce, we need we need Gaga.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, what a right time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe real would come in and I don't know present if she doesn't want to sing, it's not that we don't want.
Speaker 5: To hear, she just doesn't want to perform.
Speaker 3: We all heard what you just said. Okay, And when did you know this was true love? Like I know that at first at first you bumped heads famously, But when what was like the first conversation or in joke or a moment where you were like, ooh, this is this is different?
Speaker 4: What's when was that?
Speaker 2: Well, we say it's so, this is really what happened. I was invited by a friend on my on my floor freshman year to go to a sketch show Hammercats at n YU, and she was like, and my friend Bowen is gonna come, and he is in the improv group, so if you want to eventually be in the groups, you should meet him. Like he is great, he's my friend. We we have class together, and so we met and went to the show together.
Speaker 1: But there was this little minogue tension.
Speaker 2: Because I think were I think, you know, what's really interesting? Like I can remember the moment where I met all of my best friends, and I clock it and I remember it, and I always remembered that, And then it wasn't we didn't start really hanging out until we both were on the groups and there was like a like a commonality in that we had this interest, which was doing comedy at the school. We had all these friends, and then we also had like a shared language I think just from.
Speaker 5: Being gang gang.
Speaker 7: Yeah, But then like when do we know was true love?
Speaker 2: Well, I think that what I was always like the here's the deal, the real deal, and you know this just from knowing Bowen. But I remember the very first time I ever saw him perform, I just thought he was like a supernova. Like I was just like I was so like shocked, Like it was so exciting to watch his energy, and like I was just like wow, like and we were already friends, but I had not really seen you do a comedy performance, and like your energy and the what you bring to a stage and a group of people, it just was elevating the mood of everyone in the room. And I think I sensed something in that because I think that something that I try to take with me every single days. It's my job to make people happy and provide levity and provide joy. And I knew in that very moment, I was like, he gives me a lot of joy, and there was something intangible about the joy that everyone in the room felt when he was doing what he was doing. And that's such a superpower in like a sixth sense, that you can choose one of two things. You can be afraid of that and jealous of that, and I'll want to push it away or like, you know, hate it because you're not it, or you don't think you are, or you can be like I want to be closer to that person.
Speaker 1: I want to find out more.
Speaker 2: And then the luckiest, the luckiest thing that ever happened to me was that you know, at least he says he felt the same way about me and what I do.
Speaker 7: Like, by the way, when the microphones are off, I am telling this person how fucking amazing he is.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying it's like it's like when you have that type of feeling towards someone and like and then they say, you know, like I look at you like that, like I feel this this way about what you can do, Like it just makes you feel like you can because and I've I was just talking today to someone about how like when Rachel Bloom won the Golden Globe, we were at it.
Speaker 1: Yes, we were in my apartment and I was we're watching.
Speaker 2: I'll remember where we were, but I remember like we watched her win and we watched her go up to the stage and that was like our friend. And I remember I turned to him and I was just like, is this crazy to think that like these people that we thought were special, Like, oh, actually are like could we actually do this? Like and then every single day from that moment on, I'm talking too much, but like I just saw it happened for more and more people, until ultimately it's happened for him in this way that.
Speaker 1: Is so major.
Speaker 2: But I just I'm not surprised, you know what I mean, Like and and you know, I'm so proud of him, but like, duh.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean, Like I've always known he was a star.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And so when you see that person and they say to you, I've been asked to do a podcast, do you want to do one with me?
Speaker 1: Say yes, that's me.
Speaker 5: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Well I think that is the thing that I was trying to say at the beginning. That is just the teflon for you guys, where you just feel that constantly. It's the glue and what key. It's so authentic and so wonderful to listen to. The best parts are when you can hear the like fizz between you guys. Like what was the moment in a recent episode where I think it was Sudie's recent kuntum naturally kuntum pronunciation thank you, where she was guessing your McDonald's orders.
Speaker 4: And what said Matt.
Speaker 3: Said that he wouldn't order a big Mac because he's tomato, and you could hear Bowen's brain explode.
Speaker 1: Because he knows what I'm talking about.
Speaker 3: But it's it's like hearing a best friend's brain explode, of like, no one hates or loves you more than me in this moment of like, I'm so angry at you and love you so much and that's insane and I'll never let this go and it's making me so happy and so angry at the same time.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Like that's why I was That's why I was crying in that moment. It is purely like I love this person so much for all like in this moment of total nonsense, Yes, he is being so and I told.
Speaker 5: Him this recently.
Speaker 7: I was like, so the it's not the reason why Matt has had a really, really, really incredible couple of years, but recently, but I think I think the reason, yes, give it up, but there is Like I told Matt recently, I was like, you are like literally adorable, like people love to adore you, you know what I mean, Like he just he just has that thing, that thing where like you.
Speaker 5: It's undeniable.
Speaker 7: There is no reason why anyone would be like, that's not for me.
Speaker 2: No, you gotta tweet the Teresa Judais fans. They might kill me at Bravo Con if I die at Bravo Con.
Speaker 1: It's the hugs.
Speaker 5: It's so, they're called tree huggers. It's God. Well.
Speaker 7: One thing about the Bravo fandom is that they are all mentally sound, including.
Speaker 5: Sting us.
Speaker 7: Anyway that that But the big Mac moment is like, is so is just a pure expression of that of the of the of the of the friendship.
Speaker 5: I agree, Yeah, totally.
Speaker 3: And he listening to you guys do live performances in Berlin and even listening to you guys do ads like you can feel you feel like you're also stoned with them, Like isn't this crazy? Like you can feel your sort of kicking each other under the table of like any situation.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's just it's such a joy, we're all so grateful.
Speaker 1: Such a trip.
Speaker 2: That's so weird because they do this thing now where peak behind the curtain.
Speaker 1: You can tell Ai has written some of the ads.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it's.
Speaker 2: So infuriating because it's not written for humans to speak, so why would you expect us to speak?
Speaker 5: Wait?
Speaker 4: Really, Ai has written It's it's.
Speaker 7: Just like this syntax like, oh, we're getting hello, we're getting.
Speaker 2: It's the ad police an amazing top on was that was so stunning?
Speaker 7: Wait, that was theest woman, that woman, that was incredible.
Speaker 1: She's our next guest.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I specifically said no women.
Speaker 4: This says we can go until eight oh five.
Speaker 3: Oo oh these are audience questions. There are one hundred and sixties about them. So oh okay, this is from uh jet l.
Speaker 4: Who is your dream guest for the next season? And why?
Speaker 2: Oh I know who I would want to have and it's it's Lady Gaga. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, because I I just wish for Bowen what I got to have with Kelly. Oh, it was so euphoric and such an incredible moment, like and to have what I just said and have that full circle moment with her.
Speaker 1: I want that for you be well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's so nice.
Speaker 7: It's not going to happen because basically, okay, we know we saw. The first time I saw Tchenique was with Bobby Campbell, her manager, sweetest, sweetest guy, love him. He's like, I'm into the show, and I was like, great. He did not mention that she would she would show up. So what happened at the meeting between Dress and Arrows Lorn goes and Lady Gaga is going to introduce the first song and then me in a room full of three hundred people, I went my faggiest moment at the show. I go Lady Gaga. And then I saw her and then Bobby introduced us at the after party and I was like, and recently I've said that like I will not be able to handle meeting her. She was so so lovely, and then I was I was like two drinks in and I was like, oh my god. I just had like the faggiest moment in my time here when when Lauren said you were coming and I this is me talking to her in a crowded restaurant, me me going, and I said.
Speaker 5: Lady Gaga and she like her face.
Speaker 7: Kind of twitched and she like looked around because like I shouted her name to her face in a crowded room. So I think I've I've I've really I've really fucked it up with multiple people.
Speaker 1: I don't think so.
Speaker 2: I think that kind of shit like endears you more to people than anyone could know, because.
Speaker 1: The truth is, she was fine.
Speaker 2: She was fine, and now it's something funny that happened, you know, Like I told Kelly, like I would approachar or take steps towards her and start hyper ventilating crying like I don't know. I I And how good would the Gaga episode.
Speaker 1: Of Lost Coach be?
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, I do think she'd be better on Stradio Lab. She'd be better on Stradio Lab. But we'd have a good episode with her. That's I agree.
Speaker 4: I agree Lightning Round. What Housewives would you go to space with?
Speaker 5: Amazing question.
Speaker 1: I would go to space, Candace. I would go to space with Candace, deep space, deep space.
Speaker 2: I think it could be fun to go to space with Alexia and Marissol.
Speaker 1: I think me you, Alexia and Marassol.
Speaker 5: Yep, that we would cut up.
Speaker 1: Would be a space party.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: For sure, favorite milf in culture.
Speaker 5: It's Betty.
Speaker 1: Have you have you like grappled with milf them?
Speaker 3: You know, I've realized it's a humbling I think most people are under thirty in this house. It's a it's a humbling moment when you realize the milf section in porn is your age were You're.
Speaker 4: Like, oh my gosh, yes, what do you there's anyway?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like, can I say, like that happens before you know it, because we went from we went from twins to like to daddy yeah so fast, and now it's like what.
Speaker 7: It's like, I was just aw right. You fully bypassed twine.
Speaker 1: There was no it was just weird. Especially when I grow my facial hair out.
Speaker 2: I look at pictures of myself, I'm like, I guess, like, it's not It's not ever gonna be twink again.
Speaker 1: My body won't allow it. I tried.
Speaker 4: Oh, I have this question to you. What are your Broadway dream rules?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I've told you what I want us to do.
Speaker 4: I know what I want you to do to Book of Mormon.
Speaker 2: That we should do Book of Mormon. Yeah, okay, the movie version.
Speaker 4: I think roxy Velma.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, do you think roxy Velma, he's Velma, he's Relma. Sure, okay, So did you know that we once did at the Annoyance Theater in Brooklyn.
Speaker 5: God Rest, god Rest.
Speaker 1: We did a mash up.
Speaker 2: It was the story, No, it was the music of Chicago to the story of Black Swan.
Speaker 5: Henry Kaperski of Chicago, his.
Speaker 7: Ex boyfriend was just an angel genius would do these shows where it was a movie soundtrack, like like a movie with musical numbers from a different similar in theme musical. So there was what like the music of Wicked with something else product devil wors Pradaah.
Speaker 2: Wow, au wizard will see you now, and the Wizard's like, not great, what wait what that's the devil worst pradac Wicked thing? Totally totally yeah, but it worked like it was very like I think I'm not That girl was Emily blant right.
Speaker 5: It all kind of tracks pretty neatly, but.
Speaker 2: I was Mila slash Velma and Bowen was Natalie slash Roxy.
Speaker 4: Oh so you've done it.
Speaker 5: We've done done it.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 5: But we would we would, we would love to do it.
Speaker 2: He's always like, we well, you don't not always like this. But back in the day. I feel like you used to be like, and we should come out in the beginning like we always want to do like a musical number. Sometimes I was at the beginning of our live shows. He's like, and we'll do the Hot Honey Rag. And I was like, I want the confidence. You have to think, well, the hot Honey Rag.
Speaker 7: I when I was twelve years old when Chicago came out, learned the entire dance from the movie in my basement.
Speaker 5: I like, I could. It's amazing.
Speaker 2: So you already had it. I would have had to learn it. And this is this is another thing. One time, remember when we did that live show in Brooklyn and you were like, and we'll have to start out singing our song by Taylor Swift.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it was great.
Speaker 1: It was great.
Speaker 2: I didn't know it. I had to learn it, that's right. That's why I kept singing. Our song is a scram and scream door, scram and screamcram and scream door.
Speaker 3: Was there ever a time in your career of auditioning that you auditioned for musicals, like went in for big open calls or something for Broadway?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Never, I never went you did it.
Speaker 4: I did too, and I had no business being there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but like, here's the thing.
Speaker 2: We definitely had business being there, but the environments make you feel fucking crazy. Yes, yeah, there's nothing like sitting on one side of a door and hearing someone with a pop belt per fi voice. Yes, just do it, and you're like, I have to go in now, and I didn't even want to come here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, yes, totally yeah.
Speaker 5: When are you doing something?
Speaker 3: No, it's I if I had started voice lessons ten years ago, I could have Rihanna's range.
Speaker 1: Now, okay, but that's actually huge to hear.
Speaker 4: No. I.
Speaker 3: When I first was auditioning, I had the stoned confidence of a twenty one year old, like, yeah, go in for stuff. And the only time I've ever been fired from something was a musical workshop of the Sylvia.
Speaker 4: Plath musical.
Speaker 1: Were You Miss Miss the title.
Speaker 3: Role of Miss Plaith? Two days of rehearsals and the director called me.
Speaker 4: She was like, how do you think it's going?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: It's like fully fired.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then the last musical I auditioned for was The Adams Family Musical, where I sat in the waiting room listening to people be like and.
Speaker 4: I went in there and was like, maybe I'm amazed at the way.
Speaker 5: That you it was.
Speaker 2: I used to sing a Sunday Morning by Maroon five, Oh, a great song, and it.
Speaker 5: Was similar to maybe I'm amazed it was the right song.
Speaker 1: Music theater. We got fired for musical improv group.
Speaker 5: Yes, it was not.
Speaker 7: It was a musical improv group where a group where you had to improvise the lyrics to pre uh to karaoke tracks basically, so you would just have to memorize the songs but then have like a grasp on meter and the way syllables fell into like beloved pop songs and make them funny somehow.
Speaker 5: It was so hard.
Speaker 1: And he said that we need to take a class, and.
Speaker 5: We never did.
Speaker 3: You need to take a class. Okay, what's from mackenzie. What's one thing you wish you could tell yourself from ten years ago?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that's actually emotion.
Speaker 5: Yeah, ten years ago.
Speaker 2: Ten years ago, So twenty three, I was I honestly wow, I would have just been like, not only is it gonna work out, but it's gonna like it's gonna blow your mind. So just keep going forward and keep having good intentions and trying hard and and like I would also say, don't take for granted the relationships, because the relationships are everything, you know what I mean, Like all the amazing people that we've met along the way, including each other. It's just so incredible to see it all pay off in this way that's perfect.
Speaker 1: Like it's just so cool.
Speaker 2: It's beyond incredible that Josh Sharp and Aaron Jackson, oh have Dix the musical, Like, and I would just say, like, have follow what you think is fun and don't be of don't be afraid, and like it's it's because it's gonna work out, like just keep keep going, you know.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think I would have said to myself, God, like just just don't don't like, just advocate.
Speaker 5: For yourself or something like.
Speaker 7: I think I still kind of have this weird like I don't have the gene in me that like shows up for me and I and I feel like it was it was way worse back then, and I feel like now it's gotten a lot better.
Speaker 5: But yeah, like ten years ago.
Speaker 7: But I also think, and this is gonna sound ridiculous, I feel like not that much is different in a way that's really really nice and beautiful. And I'm like, I'm the the essence of us is is basically the same, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean that's like ten years ago. That was like even before the podcast started, because we started that when we were twenty six.
Speaker 1: And I think that.
Speaker 2: I also, I never used to think of myself as a comedian because I didn't do stand up, like I remember. I think that was something that we shared too. Both of us were like really unsure about where we fit in in the comedy thing because you did improv and like, you know, people have had a future doing improv. But it's other things, right, I mean, what's the thing. I guess acting I did sketch like and I was trying to do stand up.
Speaker 1: It wasn't really clicking. I didn't know who I was.
Speaker 2: And I think that that's because we were so other Like in our comedy community, It's like there was no one who had a career that I could look up to, like they're like me, and they're doing it and like the way I want to do it or can see myself doing it. So it kind of afforded this nice choose your own adventure of like our our entire comedy careers to the point where like when we started lost culturist. Thus I think that's why it worked, is because we weren't trying to be anything but ourselves, because we didn't see ourselves like working, you know what I mean, Like it didn't really with who like where who? What was the bluepoint to follow? Bluepoint blueprint? Blueprint. I was just on THENG Island drinking beers.
Speaker 5: Today.
Speaker 2: Yesterday I had a pumpkin beer favorite.
Speaker 1: I had three actually, But I think that that that like sort.
Speaker 2: Of wilderness of the entertainment industry and comedy in us, not literally not fitting in. It just allowed us to be ourselves. And so maybe that's something yeah, encouraging yourself to go back in time and be like be yourself.
Speaker 1: It's it, it will work.
Speaker 7: But and this is not me just like jerking us off. But I think on that note, like I think we did.
Speaker 5: We.
Speaker 7: I think we like became this nice mental model for other comedians that we were friends with to be like you can. You can also this is a viable pathway for comedy or like it's waited for you to at least make some money off of doing common where a lot of those opportunities are scant. It's like they're like like I think, like look, look just get two people who are funny like on stage to like sit down in front of a microphone and then have like conversations where you listen and you feel like like like listening to Pat and Kat and George and Sam and like everybody, I'm just like, oh, I feel like I'm in the room with them, and like, yeah, that's I think that was a nice I think I'm not saying we set the trend. I'm saying we we I think we, you know, gave a blue point blueprint for other people.
Speaker 2: The I don't think so, honey, live shows when we were doing them too like oh thangs, oh, but that was the that was one of the first times when we realize bring them back with so we can really get canceled. I think about ones that have been on the live shows and I'm like, oh my god. Ah, but like that was the first time where like we got fifty of our peers all up on stage and you would never have seen people on the same bill like that, just because of the way that the New York comedy community was at the time, and it felt like not not not like oh wow, we did this, but we're a part of this and it's bigger you know, like, yeah, so watching the comedy community change and us being involved in that was so special. Yeah, and now it's sort of branched out even further. It's like, you know, you do see so many more people having opportunities and getting to show off what they can do than you did ten years ago. So maybe that's another thing, is like telling that generation of comedians ten years ago, like there's a place for you, Like like they're gonna listen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like everything you guys do, I feel like how did they know to do that?
Speaker 4: Like your your most recent single.
Speaker 3: Like that is the most genius amazing, Like it's the niches you have created and found are so inspiring and how amazing to have your friendship and podcast be this touchstone or this thing that you're gonna take the whole way. I mean, like, you know, my daughter is going to be three and her first best friend, I'm like, can.
Speaker 1: Zadi go to college with her? Like they must stay together.
Speaker 3: And hearing you guys on the podcast as your careers explode and your lives happen, it's so wonderful to hear you both be like, oh, come on, get over yourself, or like come on celebrate yourself, like in the exact waves that you need to be there for each other. And it's just so beautiful to listen to. And we all love you so much. And it's eight oh five, baby, Betty.
Speaker 2: I just, I mean, thank you so much for doing this and just from the bottom of our hearts, like everyone, thank you so much for even wanting to come to something like this and for listening to us. You know, whenever anyone comes up on this on the street and says, I'm a Katie or I'm a reader, I'm a publicist from Finalists Bold.
Speaker 7: But I love the energy, huh come people people have identified as a finalist and I go, wow, whoa, Oh no, I I admire it so deeply, you really do.
Speaker 1: But we just love you so very much.
Speaker 4: What is a finalist but a reader? Cocoon?
Speaker 5: Yes, that's from WandaVision.
Speaker 7: Anytime, anytime we meet anyone who listens to the podcast, it's an immediate like stop, we gotta we gotta connect with these people because they they're the ones who get us, you know what I mean, So thank you for coming.
Speaker 5: I mean so so thank you.
Speaker 1: Ame