Speaker 1: Still the Place with Laura Layton, Courtney Thorn Smith.
Speaker 2: And Daphne's Andiga and iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 3: I'm trying a new paraglasses today, are you? And I'm not.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure how they're going to go.
Speaker 4: So I will be able to see better, which is good. But I feel like I look like a little bit of a crazy person here.
Speaker 5: But wait, really know you look at the sexy librarian really bring a whole new audience.
Speaker 2: That those reading glasses.
Speaker 3: Yes, I need them to read? So are they knew?
Speaker 2: Because there is it? A new prescription on your eyes getting worse.
Speaker 4: It's because my the ones that I regularly use somehow are somewhere in my house. I can't find them, so I grabbed another parent.
Speaker 1: You can't see them because you don't have your glasses. It's crazy. It's really hard being me.
Speaker 2: No, it's the eyes. It's just a whole adventure that you don't hear about.
Speaker 1: I use to get readers. Do you have readers?
Speaker 2: I used to, but then I got it's called then there's the brain that has that whole thing.
Speaker 1: Did you get the lasers?
Speaker 2: I did?
Speaker 1: It's like refractive cataract surgery.
Speaker 5: I got see I would get that laser if it did something for my skin the eyes I have, which I do.
Speaker 1: I did just get a laser.
Speaker 5: We couldn't meet last week because I got a laser on my face. Lady looks stunning, pretty good, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: I'm skeered. But I did it on my eyes. I got laser on the eyes. They're amazing. I can see it close and I can see far away.
Speaker 1: With no glasses.
Speaker 3: I might need to ask.
Speaker 2: I totally totally recommend it.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, for now, I'm just going to.
Speaker 1: Conversations.
Speaker 2: Used to be different when.
Speaker 5: Seriously listen the Baits method. It's eye exercises, and they do work. Because my eyes started to go and then I do these eye exercises and they're back. And I'm fifty six and I still don't use readers. Fantastic tiny I can read this little tiny thing.
Speaker 2: That's great.
Speaker 1: All right. Well for now I'm gonna wear glasses and.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, we all have our solutions.
Speaker 3: Got that settled.
Speaker 2: Good?
Speaker 1: What happened to us?
Speaker 2: Alterative? As I say, better than the alternative.
Speaker 5: So we heard that people are asking about my dresses and I will say this, I'm wearing a shirt by the same company. It's a wonderful company out of Malibu called Bell by Alicia Bell Care Dresses and I love their shirts and I'm glad people are noticing it because it's a company I absolutely love well. First of all, like their store, like the fabrics. And then they've got these I don't know if you at home can hear my necklace, but this is attached to the shirt. It's adorable little thing. They've got these little extras. What would you call this, almost like a necklace. It's this really pretty button and some spark.
Speaker 2: Sure that's not one of those security you can there's little pearls.
Speaker 5: Anyway, it's a gorgeous highly recommend them.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: Ask a question because when we were doing our photo shoot, you had these beautiful dresses and it was Mesa, Mesa, Los Angeles. Did you also wear those dress?
Speaker 5: But the one that you wore in the photo shoot was a Bell by Lisa Bell. Then Laura, you borrowed one that was doing well. I like the dress and lots of pretty dresses.
Speaker 2: Beautiful dresses you so Bell I noticed, yes?
Speaker 1: And Mesa and Doan has some gorgeous glass Yeah.
Speaker 3: Peasantry today just by accident, we all ended up in I know.
Speaker 2: I'm like the very well coordinated, preppy little Checkers and have you guys, beautiful, feminine and casual California. I feel like me sitting over here is kind of like I'm doing a sum on our hair, and there will be tests on the Melrose. Well. We have mostly stuff to ask Court or I do because you were there. We weren't there yet. And again, I'm really enjoying watching and going back and not be in it because I just get to sit back and see, like I almost made popcorn, because it's such a fun air of the nineties, and just watching you guys, and you're doing such a great job. And I don't know about you, Laura, but I'm enjoying not being in it.
Speaker 4: It's such a it's such a different experience to watch these early episodes that our characters weren't in yet, and then to know, like, oh, I know where it's going, but I just don't have like an experience of what it was at that time, and it is going in another direction. We know that it's going somewhere else, and we're only on episode three of our recaps right now.
Speaker 3: We're so shallow.
Speaker 2: I mean, in the death of where versus the drama are a little different. Yeah, you know, Matt and Ronda have a little tet of ted.
Speaker 3: And yeah, we've just dipped our toe in the beginning.
Speaker 5: So I had the same thought, like this really was like eight kids trying to make it right. Like there nothing dramatic happens. It really is very sweet, small stories of us all getting to know each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and to that point, that kind of like leads me into our first episode here. But I got to see how much they leaned into Billy being a writer, really trying to be a writer what he came here for, you know. And by the time I came in the middle of the first season, like I don't know what, no one knew what he was right, because he's already into all the drama of the show. But he this episode is specifically of him, like, you know, pouring out his heart and soul and using his imagination writing the great American screenplay, right, yeh me you go, okay, it's going okay, that's a great segue.
Speaker 1: Great.
Speaker 2: So this episode three season one is called Lost and Found, and it aired. It aired on July twenty second, nineteen ninety two. So here's a synopsis. Jane feels lonely due to Michael's late nights as the doctor, so Ronda takes her to Shooters, where they meet two guys and have a wild night until Jane loses her wedding ring. This gave me stress this one. Billy finishes his script, but Alison thinks it's awful and can't help him. Meanwhile, Jake breaks up with Kelly finally by staging a scene with an actress friend of Sandy's, making him look bad like a terrible guy. Heartbroken, Kelly leaves Jake for good. I mean, finally, it's so funny, like so how many episodes he's like, you know how bad this is, and yet he keeps like making out with her and like leading her on. Anyway, I think it's finally over, so we'll do the cast starring Josie Bessetts, Jane Thomas Collaboro as Michael, Amy Locane as Sandy, Doug Savant as Matt Grant Show as Jake, Andrew Shoe as Billy, Courtney Thorn Smith as Alison Parker, and Vanessa A. Williams is Ronda Blair. Created by Darren Starr. I hope we get Darren in these by the way to come visit, and then special guests is Ginny Garth and Brian Austin Green and Iron Zerring as their nine O two one zero characters. So this is a really fun opening. I thought we opened in this. It's called the Blue Room Club. It's a jazz club. It's like the forties of a period piece. And Billy's at the bar. His hair is slicked back, He's in a suit, and he saunters over to a woman in a red dress doing a dance.
Speaker 1: Were you so confused he came on slicker? Was like, what is? What?
Speaker 5: What is totally at the beginning any sort of it was.
Speaker 4: Immediately like you could tell it was an attempt at noir, but like, yeah, the girl seemed to be, you know, setting the tone and the era, and I got it. And then Billy was like sort of being Billy.
Speaker 3: And it was a little bit back, what's happening?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I mean it. I did get pretty sick pretty quickly into the scene. Go Okay, this is Billy's imagining of you know, Noir, and yeah.
Speaker 1: Very excitated dream is he? Who's that that?
Speaker 5: I was like, where's Allison? Because apparently my ego's very invested. I was like, who's that lady again, what's happening?
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it was another basically another one of Billy's sort of imagining some flashbacks without them.
Speaker 1: Keep forgetting he was a writer.
Speaker 4: I know, becomes very clear here in this opening scene that that's what he's doing. Very la of him to be coming to play and wanting to write his screenplay.
Speaker 2: I mean, his you know, this was over the top, and you're going, like, god, it is too over the top. And there's a gun and she says really like you know, cliche statements, you know, you look good, getting real good and if you get if you get time, I'll come visit you. If you get the chair, I'll still come visit you. They have a gun, it goes below frame, it goes off. I mean, and you're going, this is really bad. Well it's his screenplay because he hears Alison saying Billy, Billy, Billy, and then all of a sudden we're in the apartment and he was he's typing his script, so you're going, oh, maybe his script is it's kind of like foreshadowing, like maybe it's not gonna be that good, kind of like the over the topness that we justa that's what I thought. So anyway, Alison's there and uh, he's typing his screenplay.
Speaker 4: Well, then it goes to the pool where Michael is skimming the pool and Jane.
Speaker 3: Is like hanging on him. Do you guys remember that.
Speaker 4: She's he's skimming the pool and she is just like like hugging him from behind, a kissing, kissing, kissing, like this massive display out at the pool side, and they're like what and did you notice that?
Speaker 5: Like, well there's an ongoing theme already of this gorgeous Josie like all over this dive.
Speaker 2: He's like, I was like, I'm busy, and he's like, I'm sorry, I'm trying to I'm trying to skim the pool and she's.
Speaker 3: Like, but I'm trying to get something started. That was that was a lot, Yeah, and they're making it.
Speaker 2: I have a kissing count, by the way, because that is one of our CA theories and I finally paid attention. So it was our first kiss because in the script in the in the jazz Bar, they don't actually kiss. They come really close, they quiver the lips, but they don't kiss.
Speaker 1: Oh I didn't even count that because they're married. Oh, I think it count should count that was.
Speaker 4: Actually married, Courtney, Remember did you count them?
Speaker 1: Like that's.
Speaker 2: Was worth more than five kisses for that?
Speaker 3: The reference is there.
Speaker 4: She's like, we're gonna have pink hot dogs and watch Ghost like the movie and all these like references.
Speaker 2: Yeah nineties stuff and la stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, romantic movie.
Speaker 5: And then doesn't she really doesn't seem to understand that he's a medical resident. It seems to be a constant source of confusion for her that he's busy, Like is she not watch The Resident on Fox?
Speaker 1: Does she not know? Like how busy these poor guys.
Speaker 3: It's as confusing as he is.
Speaker 4: She's gorgeous and you should make me be a little bit more responsive.
Speaker 1: The thing is like she doesn't have You should tell them about glass.
Speaker 3: There's glasses regrets from marrying.
Speaker 2: You know. This is foreshadowing like a future when you marry a doctor like you know, and this is you don't see him now. It's not going to get much better, Like don't you think of this sometimes your.
Speaker 5: Residency though, remember they work like thirty hour shifts. But it feels like it's constantly I don't for her that she's surprised that he's not played a medical school one that's medical.
Speaker 2: But I don't remember, Like I don't you know, I definitely didn't marry a doctor, so.
Speaker 1: Nor have we played a doctor on TV, which I did.
Speaker 2: But no, it's a medical student and I do anyway, whatever we can go off on that. I do remember some stats about medical students and doctors for sure. They're not fun. So yeah, she's trying to make out by the pool, and then we're down in the basement and Sandy walks downstairs and Jake is folding clothes, and Jake jokes that it's sheets he's folding, and that he only washes his sheets when he's had someone in his.
Speaker 5: Apartment and who was this Well, she says that she implies that like, oh, you're washing sheets because somebody's coming.
Speaker 1: And everybody in our own homes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's very intimate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he goes, we're just friends, but she wants more. Duh the understatement of the century and uh. But he says it's over, and she's like, which based on what?
Speaker 5: Because last episode it seemed pretty hot and heavy, right. They ride off on the motorcycle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's going to be apparently something.
Speaker 1: Happened between episodes.
Speaker 2: No going for to be over this episode.
Speaker 5: I knows a plan, but he's acting I felt like he was acting like we're just friends, and I'm thinking we were giving her very mixed signals then, because last time you kissed her and rode off on your motorcycle.
Speaker 3: Hundred percent of course mixed signals.
Speaker 2: Well, of course mixed signals. Yeah, And of course he's saying to somebody else, we're just friends. So if there's any perception, then it's her fault, the little girl's fault. But he's not saying to her definitely, we're best friends. So you know he's picking going to her house and taking her on the motorcycle. It's, of course, it's like a game out of the playbook of this grand show that we keep saying like Jake's's stand up man. I guess that comes later, all right, this is the nineties sign of the times. The next scene is the Gap store, big old gap kids walk through and they walked through this Gap store, and the minute that came on, I saw all those lacrosse shirts in the back with the thick stripes. Did you guys see that? I was just like, it was so nineties, the rugby white collars, the rugby shirt. Yeah with the white collars, those were all there, and those guys.
Speaker 4: And totally smell it makes one more appearance. And he got to keep his sunglasses on for the entire scene inside.
Speaker 1: I was so surprised by that.
Speaker 3: But it was a choice.
Speaker 1: And they it must have been maybe as pink eye or something because.
Speaker 4: Like they were dark like although I will say that Doug got to wear the character of Matt got to wear some sunglasses later in the episode two, and I thought, well, that's interesting. Episode three of Melrose and they're still letting people more away. Yeah, yeah, yeah, later we'll see the air nobody's gonna wear it has seen an episode.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe this is the time that he decides no more.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Daphney tried to work sunglasses into our photo shoot for our podcast, like that's adorable.
Speaker 1: Put them down.
Speaker 2: Still not a PTSD, but triggered me by the way, thirty years later, I can wear these if I want. Yeah, that was funny.
Speaker 5: So but also the calling five times a day, talk about sign of the times. Nobody's texting right, kids watching like why don't just text them? Were like, no, we didn't have texting. We had car phones that were the size of our torsos, but nobody had.
Speaker 2: Nobody was to call him, even the line are you then no female? It wasn't the thing.
Speaker 3: That's why there's payphones everywhere.
Speaker 4: And exactly when the next scene in Jane's boutique and she's calling or Michael's calling Jane to let her know that he has to be on call all night, and he's like whispering in the on call room like, oh honey, I can't make it right. And he's like it's like the hardest thing in the world to tell her that he can't. But he's on a payphone in the breakroom of the hospital.
Speaker 3: It was a payphone on the wall in the breakroom.
Speaker 2: I think, my god, they're so cheap.
Speaker 3: It was so bizarre.
Speaker 4: But like, did you guys notice what the rest of the doctors were doing at the table? No, they're playing cards, Like what doctors on their break are going to go and like start a poker game in the.
Speaker 3: Break I thought that was so funny. They're playing cards in there, and he's like whispering, like did he not want anybody to know he has a wife? Like why is.
Speaker 2: So weird that he was so quiet about it. He's like like he was carrying on with somebody there.
Speaker 3: Right, it was like he was trying to keep it a secret. He's talking to his wife.
Speaker 5: The whole story happened, and you're you're stepping ahead to the really dramatic moment.
Speaker 1: If you didn't notice that.
Speaker 3: You need to wear your glasses when you watch this, you can notice things like card players.
Speaker 1: And where you're going. This show is much more exciting for you.
Speaker 2: So that's Jane trying to reach out again. She's all excited about this Pink's plan and it's not going to happen, right, So we set up. She's upset, she hangs up. And then and then we're with Allison at D and D Advertising, and Allison's on the phone at the reception when Billy shows up with.
Speaker 3: His screenplay, The Big Shock. I love The Big Shock.
Speaker 2: Poor boy is going to be shocked. So he leaves the script for her to read. It's so weird.
Speaker 5: But okay, were you sure when he said it's the only copy, be careful that I was going to leave it somewhere. I was like, oh, I'm going to leave it on the bus somewhere.
Speaker 2: And didn't they have kink goes back in the nineties. I don't remember. Maybe not well.
Speaker 1: He must have typed it out by hand.
Speaker 3: It might be still one finger at a time. Did you not notice it takes him a really long time to type singers, just the.
Speaker 2: Two of them, but he did build it up his excitement. I feel like a real writer now. It feels so good.
Speaker 3: I feel like a real writer.
Speaker 2: It feels so good. And you know when you yeah, yeah, so, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It was very cute.
Speaker 3: And then we get to use the pool.
Speaker 4: We got to the pool scene first time somebody's using the pool in this episode. Jane's in her bit suit getting out of the pool doing laps.
Speaker 1: Very well done. Yep, nice exercise.
Speaker 3: Nice use of the pool.
Speaker 2: Can we talk about that bathing suit since we're talking about the nineties, I mean, but an amazing bathing suit. Yeah, I thought that bathing suit, like so much pops out of me in each scene. Sometimes it's set dressing, sometimes it's a payphone, sometimes it's a line. But this time it was the bathing suit. Just the design. The wasn't it like aqua and purple with thick black I don't know, which was just so nineties.
Speaker 3: Well, and Josie looks great in it, amazing. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then also Sandy was there with her little cute little bussier, which was so cute.
Speaker 4: And that's where Sandy suggesting that Jane come to Shooters that night and have a night out instead of waiting up for her doctor husband.
Speaker 2: Anyway, so she's like, come on out and have fun, right.
Speaker 3: She double dog dares her to go out.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, double dog dare you. Then we're back at the hospital and Jane shows up with I think probably pinks hot dogs and candles and food and wants to bring the surprise to him. He's soy.
Speaker 4: And but also here's where the other the other doctors and people that are in the break room are like.
Speaker 3: Ooh this is awkward.
Speaker 4: Yeah we should leave so awkwardly because oh, this guy's wife just showed.
Speaker 3: Up, Like what is that about?
Speaker 2: Like something going on?
Speaker 3: Yeah they were.
Speaker 1: It should have been.
Speaker 4: And he's like, we'reek Jeane, everybody, this is my wife.
Speaker 2: Apologeabe is so awkward, so embarrassed by his wife.
Speaker 3: Like why is that embarrassing?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, poor Jane.
Speaker 2: I mean those tall three candles were a bit much. I was a little like it's okay.
Speaker 3: It was cute, Like if your white shows up to do that, why is everything going way better? Sneak outs Yeah yeah, yeah not nice.
Speaker 2: Next time we see her, she's a shooters with Rhonda picking up two guys that are looking at them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so here's where these two guys come in to the vironment can see that. Jane's gonna start to entertain the idea of like, okay, maybe I'll pretend to be Yeah, because Sandy's nest your Carbonel from everything Nestor Carbonel's had a career.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was on Psych, which is one of my favorite shows.
Speaker 2: I was wondering.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but he's been on everything, like all like Monk, I think all those shows I love.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's got a huge career.
Speaker 4: He's Morning Show, he's doing the Morning Show recently, a million.
Speaker 5: Things and made me so excited as I started to see the guest stars come through, like oh that's right, yeah, oh he had he also had so many people come through.
Speaker 3: He was on Lost, Yes, suddenly, Susan dark Knight. I mean he's done a.
Speaker 1: Ton of stuff every even and everything. Fun to see him.
Speaker 4: Our kids were a baby group together, Mommy and me, Oh really we had our baby in a baby grip together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Small World was.
Speaker 2: One of his first things. You know.
Speaker 5: I wonder if it was because he was sort of quiet, like, yeah, quite come into himself.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think, yeah, I think he'd just done a few things. But he's definitely had a played Alex.
Speaker 2: He's the one that was pursued, that pursued Rhonda. Yes, that's what we mean. But at this point, Jane decides to hide.
Speaker 4: The ring, right Sandy suggests it, Hey, you're not going to get, you know, anybody flirting with you if you have a wedding ring on, and Jane's like, I think I want people flirting with me, So she takes it off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so she takes it over ring.
Speaker 5: Which is probably why they had to have Michael be so awful to motivate her to do this.
Speaker 3: Pretty extreme Yeah yeah, yeah, pretty sure.
Speaker 1: Pretty watch a show.
Speaker 3: Like you thought you thought that was a good idea.
Speaker 1: This is your ax step all right?
Speaker 2: Uh. Then we cut to the courtyard where I keep want to saying you you over there, where Allison walks through the courtyard and she kind of doesn't know what to do, and Matt is leaving and says, there's a party in Laurel Canyon where I was living.
Speaker 1: By the way, maybe it was your party. You weren't on the show yet. Maybe he's going to be your party.
Speaker 2: I was having a party. Probably was Laurel Canyon. Anyway, I love those la shout outs. And she's like, no, I have a really difficult thing ahead of me. I have to tell I had to read Billy's script. And he says, how is it? And she's like awful.
Speaker 4: And here's here's Matt's entrance for the episode, like just being cute, supportive friend, going you got this.
Speaker 3: I think you can do this.
Speaker 4: Just always a good friend, Lie, Like yeah, well, first he said, you know, Lie, and then and then he turned it around and said, all right, just you know, just be gentle let him down easy, Pat, Pat, I'm the best friend.
Speaker 3: Bye. I see exit. Yeah, and that was for the episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Support, but always is the question, you know, what do you do? What do you say? I'm with Lie, You're on team Live. Well I've seen this episode now and it doesn't end up, but it does end up. It does they do end up, you know, dealing with it, but it does hurt his feelings. So now we're back in shooters and Jane and Ronder at the bar talking with the guys, making small talk, and uh, they are aspiring rock stars of Crocker.
Speaker 3: They look like, yeah, so well firing rocks.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Anyway, so he goes, do you have what? Do you have a boyfriend or something? And she makes another decision and she says no, not exactly implying that, but does not say that she's married. Yeah, she doesn't have a boyfriend.
Speaker 3: She didn't lie, but she didn't try.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So anyway, then Billy comes home and I think you're making tuna casserole.
Speaker 1: What a disgusting choice?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 3: The fifties?
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 5: I'm like, oh my god, I can smell like am I trying to upset him in advance?
Speaker 1: I think what has happened?
Speaker 4: But like you always say, you were traumatized by them serving tuna on set.
Speaker 2: Right, maybe.
Speaker 1: That's all the problem.
Speaker 3: And they really wanted it to be like method.
Speaker 4: I can't like, we wanted to smell like tuna cast roles, so it can that's what they're actually.
Speaker 2: So anyway, you're in the kitchen, you don't really want to see him, You're making the tuna, and he's just of course thinking assuming his script is amazing. He's days in the living room. He's like, oh man, but he had a horrible day, but thank god the script. When he sells this, everything's going to change. Oh you're making something, so he's assuming you're making him dinner to celebrate.
Speaker 4: I know it's so sad, but she doesn't have the guts to tell him in that moment.
Speaker 5: No, no, And I just there's so many things between it's brilliant and it's awful. There's so many choices she could have made. I just like I wish she had someone to say, why don't you say it could use some work? Yeah, which you know we've all heard as creative people. Yes, there's a lot of potential. How about that, Like start with, there's a lot of potential, but it needs some work.
Speaker 2: You do say at the end, finally he earns it, you say you do it, or somewhere you say you do have talent. I thank you, throwing him a little nugget.
Speaker 4: Start there as there, Yeah, all right, But then we get to the grocery store.
Speaker 3: Kelly and Jake are grocery shopping for dinner together, which is like.
Speaker 5: A completely romantic choice line because we had this. This was my line that I wrote down, spending a nice quite even at your place, making it together the lasagna, I mean, yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Didn't see that coming. I mean wink wink, shimmy, sim Yeah.
Speaker 2: They really put her over the top. Everything out of her mouth, every action of hers everything is just this pursuant, pursuing, pursuing for such.
Speaker 1: So she's so young. I was not that aggressive at that. It's so much. Are kids that different? Like?
Speaker 4: Yeah, but also he's giving her such mixed message and he's planning, Yeah, he's planning to let her down, but he's decided to, like, let's do a quiet romantic night at home, we'll grocery shop together, and then we'll bring this talk.
Speaker 3: Like the whole thing.
Speaker 4: Was just like a what choice is that if you're trying to actually let her down?
Speaker 5: So indirect yeah, like just have a convix mansion clearly not clearly cannot.
Speaker 4: And here again in the grocery store is the other example of where he reveals that he doesn't have enough money because he can't afford the grocery bill what it owns.
Speaker 3: That was brutal, Yeah, and that was brutal. She instead of trying to bail him out. It's like, okay, just maybe take.
Speaker 5: And apparently no credit cards. Apparently they live in a cash based society.
Speaker 1: No credit card.
Speaker 4: The other awkward moment showing that he doesn't have the money and maybe she does, but still so awkward.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but those are the days when you could buy a dinner for forty dollars. You can't get out of the market for forty dollars. Days, it's very hard. Everything expensive.
Speaker 1: We're just so expensive right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah. True. So they're out of they leave the grocery store, he's humiliated once again. And then we're at Shooters and they're playing pinball and they're being really flirty. Ronda is being incredibly flirty and Josie I felt like, was trying to be flirty but with the painball machine and stuff, and well, Jane, she's trying to have a good single time, you know, like she's not sure how to do it. So she's like, oh boy, and she got pinball in high school.
Speaker 4: And then she got very close to like getting out of their like no harm, no foul, but you know that Ronda talks her out of it and says, please stay be my wingman for the night, and please, I can't do this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, please want to go to a club.
Speaker 4: So Jane decides not to go home and decides to stay with Ronda instead.
Speaker 3: Another bad.
Speaker 4: So many another club put gone, Yeah another way, you just gone home.
Speaker 2: So then we're back with Billy. They're eating I think they're eating the tuna now the tuna cast role, and he's going through the scenes bit by bit, just like God, he's making it so hard, isn't he know?
Speaker 1: He's so exciting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's so excited. He's like, what about this? And then you're like, you know, you mean the one where that what was it? The transvestite nun or something like making it obvious that it was really bad.
Speaker 3: I don't remember that moment ending.
Speaker 2: You don't remember that one? No?
Speaker 3: I don't. Yeah, I think, I think.
Speaker 1: And he's like, what's.
Speaker 2: Wrong with that? I used to be a nun?
Speaker 1: Oh my god?
Speaker 4: But she tells him the truth like I hated, yeah, think about it, and he's so.
Speaker 2: Hurt and indignant, Well, what do you hate? Please be more specific, which I think you know he deserves. But he can't handle it and he just.
Speaker 5: Storms out and insults my cast role, which I mean, come on, obviously, most of myself esteem is based on my disgusting tunic castrole. And you can't you're not allowed to put it down. And then if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. We're just yelling, just like you have no taste, just like your lousy castrole. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was that was a big bite. He storms out of the apartment. I know Jane is dancing with Peter.
Speaker 2: We're in the new club. So now that we're at the cap, I love that the guys took them to. You know, she's really out of her league and no a place that's not familiar, and the guys dancing really closely with her. Did you notice the extras and everything that they were wearing, and like it just seems to me like all of the nineties always had a nightclub scene, and like everything I ever did, they were like a nightclub with these extra outfits with the you know, the short skirts, the ones that were like band aids basically, you know what I mean, and these heels and like smoke pumped in. I just reminded me of the eighties and nineties, Like.
Speaker 1: Stress was so short so short, so short.
Speaker 5: But I think it was less about the nineties and more about how old we were, because say the three of us did a movie now, they wouldn't put us in any off like I was just when you're young, like your characters are going back.
Speaker 1: That's what yeah, Like that's what we did, and that is what I did on weekends. Then yeah, I know, right, that's what we did.
Speaker 2: I just get a kick of looking at these scenes now because it looks like such a just such it's just such background, you know, with all the drinks. They're either like bright red and orange. Maybe there's a blue, I don't know. It just really pulled me into working as an actor back in that era, and it looked very, very familiar to me. But at any rate, So they're dancing and she's once he gets too close. She's like, no, no, I gotta go sit down. So she goes to sit down, but he follows her, reciting poetry right, thinking he's going to win her over with his like artistic, uh poetic type, and she's like, yeah, I know that poet.
Speaker 1: If she made romantic literature, she minor romantic? Did she major in fashion or probably.
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 1: As you do look at her being smart.
Speaker 3: That was romantic lit recognize the passage. He tries to kiss.
Speaker 1: Her, and she finally, finally yep, says no. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then if she finally says why I'm married. I like you, but I'm married, and he's like, yeah, no, you don't have a ring, and she's like, god, okay. She reaches for her ring in her pocket and the booth of the table there and there's no ring and is gone.
Speaker 3: Oops.
Speaker 4: So then she finds herself crawling on the floor in her tight little black dress looking for her ring.
Speaker 2: So and and of course Rhonda feels horrible when she finds out. And but now we're back and oh, let's see how it's going with Jake and Kelly. How that breakup's going. Okay, So we're back in Jake's.
Speaker 3: Apartment and he's awkwardly cutting onions.
Speaker 2: By the way, it's not awkwardly. He's cutting onions to turn her off. I figured that out, Oh you did, yes, close up on a big onion, big red, juicy onion. He's crying. He's like, oh god, this is painful, but I've got to get her off of me. And she's like almost crawling up into his hmm. And and he's like cutting onions. Maybe that'll send her off. No, apparently Kelly likes purple onions. She's all over him and then she like leads into those.
Speaker 1: I'm going to go back for a second.
Speaker 5: Why are her parents letting her go to dinner in a man's apartment?
Speaker 3: I think her parents don't know. We haven't really touched on that, have we. Her parents they exist at all.
Speaker 1: They think she's at I mean, she's just out a girlfriend's house. Yeah, that's probably true, all.
Speaker 3: Right, I mean, oh yeah, her mama just had a baby. I don't know.
Speaker 4: There's all this backstory we don't quite see right to explain, right, but yeah, they're they're making this dinner and Kelly's kissing him and it's clear that she went and he just keeps sort of.
Speaker 1: Like kissing all back a little bit, a little.
Speaker 3: Distance and pushing back.
Speaker 4: I don't want to do this, even though I set up this romantic dinner, I really don't want to do this. I really don't want you kissing on me.
Speaker 2: How wrong?
Speaker 3: This is?
Speaker 2: What's wrong with you? Girl? Don't you get the message? And I have an onion and everything.
Speaker 1: Don't you get the message? In my apartment while I'm cooking for you.
Speaker 4: It feels very clear I've sent you very mixed messages, aren't you picking?
Speaker 2: And then the phone rings and she says, this is another nineties Let the answering machine get it.
Speaker 3: Yep, we all had an answering machine.
Speaker 2: So it's ringing and ringing, and it starts to have an answer. Someone starts to speak and then he runs to get it and picks it up. But do you guys remember your first answering.
Speaker 5: Machine And weren't you worried that someone's going to leave an inappropriate message?
Speaker 4: He was worried because he went to pick it up before that happens, because it goes out loud your message, just like broadcasts.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, do you remember that whole other? Like I don't know if that I guess you don't have that now with the phone. But like when you leave a message, if it's an awkward one for someone, is is someone going to be listening? Like like is it going to be turned up loud? Are there roommates? Usually the guys that I liked always had roommates.
Speaker 4: They were never Yeah, you gotta be really careful about what you're saying out on speaker phone. Sure, but we find out that the person on the other line is like planning to and he's whispering, well, don't don't be any later than ten thirty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right, right, that's all he says. Anyway, she doesn't get the message because well, we'll come back to them in a minute. But first we're gonna go to Shooters where Billy is sitting absolutely crushed, fiddling with the mix the bar mixed there and all alone at the bar Shooters, and then you Alison shows up and they have a meaning full friendly conversation. You know, was it really that bad? And and so I thought that was really you know, there was pay off there. And again that's what I like about the show, Like you do these things and they're like over the top or or or not very heartfelt, you know, and then this comes. You know, they're they're smart, like they bring you back and this friendship is going to last through this. You know, you guys have a friendship there, which which is cool. So you give them a pep talk.
Speaker 3: That was very sweet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I believe in yourself not going to be easy.
Speaker 1: Did she made her amends?
Speaker 4: Well, he's drowning himself in sugar. He was sugar bingchinging, like until you came along.
Speaker 1: It's good for you. I don't know that that's true. Well we'll look at the science later. That's right.
Speaker 3: I do not think you know, I don't think that's right.
Speaker 2: So anyway, Jake, we're back with that, Jake and Kelly, and she clearly has gotten no message, and she's in the living room. She goes bit into the living room I think, and turns down the light, off the light and makes it a mood lighting in there, and she sits on the couch and this girl just is like and he turns on the light, comes in and they're on the couch, and you know, he lets her kiss him and fall and tell him how great he is, of course, and he's waiting, I think, for ten thirty to show up, right, for someone to show up.
Speaker 4: Yep, But again, why did he go to all the trouble to grocery shops, set up this romantic night saying you can't come over see you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, like, I just we shouldn't be doing this.
Speaker 4: Instead, he sets up a whole elaborate thing to have some you know this next thing happened, instead of like.
Speaker 3: Don't set up the romantic dinner in the first place. Yeah, Like, of course he's not giving them a.
Speaker 5: Tom, right, if they had the conversation, there would be no story. So you can't have the conversation because you need to fill whatever forty two minutes of screen time.
Speaker 1: So he has to work his way around it. But do we have a theme in this show of men not want to to have sex with beautiful women?
Speaker 3: What the heck?
Speaker 1: These beautiful women just hanging.
Speaker 4: Except if they're married, except if they're married to like somebody else.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's that.
Speaker 1: Interesting thing.
Speaker 3: But there they are.
Speaker 4: They're interrupted by the knock of the door, and Jake goes to the door, h and it is Margo.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a woman who comes in and goes, oh gosh, you know here she comes in with a bottle of wine, a beautiful woman who's more his age, more age appropriate, and says oh, and sees Kelly, and it's just like, what is going on? Oh, we're just one of many women. You think we're all just going to show up like this. You're two timing me. We had a date. Kelly's like mortified. She just looks like this little sad puppy, you know, like it does seem like overkill for a really innocent seems.
Speaker 5: She's a really elaborate plan to Yeah right, I think he thinks he's letting her down easy, but it's actually more confusing. Although maybe in the end then she gets to say he's a jerk, and yeah, well that's off having the upper hand, that's what he wants.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but she.
Speaker 3: Still leaves the apartment saying I loved.
Speaker 1: You, Oh poor baby.
Speaker 2: And I thought she was really good in this Jenny and the just I just felt you just really feel for her. I do feel really good, you know, like you pointed out with and with Josie in the past, that vulnerability which isn't always easy in a show like this, you know, which is like such over the top kind of stuff. Or I just think it was cool. I grounded it anyway, So that's that. See it. Well, we'll see if that really is goodbye for Kelly. It's like he's tried to say goodbye a few times. We're back at the club and Jane and Ronda are crawling around for the wedding ring. They don't find it. It's a family heirloom, and then Peter says, why did you lie? And she said, I'm just used to I've just been listening to the wrong people.
Speaker 3: Trusting my Sandy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Sandy not such a great person for advice apparently.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So then we see that Ronda did end up getting together with the guy that she met in the bar, and they're kissing in the courtyard as everybody's coming.
Speaker 5: Home, as everyone seems to the courtyard. Apparently he's a fine place to make out, a public.
Speaker 3: Display right there day night.
Speaker 2: Want to make out, yes, ye yeah, yep, especially if like it's right in front of where Mike Michael, like her husband is, or where Jane lives, you know. I mean, she's not making up, but still they have this whole conversation and I think that's that you're a nice guy, and but I I gotta go. So he leaves, and Ronda apologizes for forcing her to come out, and then she enters. Jane enters her own apartment and hears music. It's dark, there's a bottle of whiskey opened. Now I wasn't sure here if he that was his whiskey. I'm assuming a manly man's drink. And the music he set to be romantic, but she didn't show because he comes out kind of pissed. It's not like he's waiting for her still, he's pissed now.
Speaker 5: Well set up right, Yeah, yeah, that she sees a whiskey and thinks he's there.
Speaker 1: He's mad at her, he's been there.
Speaker 4: He's mad at her that he actually did come home and set up something romantic and he had an expectation of her being there, and then it turned out she was the one who was out, and she's got double guilt because she's also knowing that she lost the wedding ring while having some bad behavior at the club.
Speaker 2: Don't before they get to the bedroom, So this was another kiss in my book, even though they're married. They totally start to make out, and what I thought was really moving was just their conversation there like he's just like God, it felt like forever, and I really love you. I think he took a little, you know, inventory and was like, I don't want to waste her, which is good. Ultimately, it's good that it happened. I really don't want to take her for granted, you know, I don't like things without her. And then they have that meaningful conversation and then they make out in the kitchen, keep making out Melrose style all the way to the bedroom, trip and make out their way into this candlelight bedroom.
Speaker 3: And fall onto the bed, heavy on the romance there.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, I gave that several pieces.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that counts as more than one.
Speaker 2: But yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then now where are we the Oh we're here towards the end, and Billy's in the courtyard not making out. He's burning his script. He's so dramatic, burning a script page by page the.
Speaker 1: Grill and he does. It's very dramatic.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then she comes out in her bathrobe, the famous bathrobe, saying what are you doing? This is crazy?
Speaker 4: And uh but at least he feels like having accomplished something that flopped was an accomplishment, got out of his way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got that.
Speaker 4: One out of the way, and Alison ultimately made him feel like he could come to terms with that.
Speaker 2: So burn the script and move on and write what you know, which is kind of like the writer's right yep, yeah, right, Yeah, he's learned a lesson what you know?
Speaker 5: Yeah, still not throw the holes in handlet, but you know what, I'm I'm getting over it.
Speaker 4: So then we're at Shooters where Sandy is shooting pool. Jake walks in wonders how his dinner party went, and he said, you know, Kelly's gone.
Speaker 3: We're done.
Speaker 4: She says, you did the right thing. But then we find out that he thinks that Kelly was the only person that ever made him.
Speaker 3: Feel good about himself.
Speaker 4: Jake reveals that to Sandy and which is sort of an interesting idea. And then right then Sandy hears from the bus boy that something was found in the trash.
Speaker 3: Come look in the trash.
Speaker 4: And what do we think has turned up? But Jane's wedding.
Speaker 1: The wedding actually going to all goodness.
Speaker 4: So then as we got back to Jane and Michael's apartment, they're lying in bed after of course, their night of making love, and he tells her that he missed her.
Speaker 3: She's about to tell him here's what I did. I lost the wedding ring.
Speaker 4: When there's another knock at the door and it's Sandy and she reveals that she's found this ring.
Speaker 3: Oh thank goodness.
Speaker 2: And she covers and tells Michael, oh, well, she left us in the laundry room, and you know, I decided want it back, and Jane kind of eyes her without Michael noticing thank you.
Speaker 4: So Sandy actually saves her from having to admit the truth and what happened.
Speaker 3: So all's well, yeah, that ends well.
Speaker 2: Yes, thanks to our roommates in the Melrose Place apartment. Yes, because we all get each other in trouble, but we cover for each other.
Speaker 3: When all the stories are becoming resolved.
Speaker 5: Yay.
Speaker 4: And I did sort of notice that that was like the episode in general, is that everything gets sort of neatly wrapped up by the end and everyone learns a little bit of a lesson.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that right. The early episodes, which is not at.
Speaker 3: All the time show came on. I don't think it was only me, but I think the tone of.
Speaker 4: The show becomes there was cliffhangers. There was you know, like blackmailing and drama and stuff like that, but cliffhangers and extended storylines that go. But every episode that we've watched so far, everything is sort of neatly wrapped up by the end of the episode where everyone's learned their lesson, and like you pointed out last time, all the lessons that are being learned are sort of tied together, so like, oh, you know, like looking outside of where you should be looking for love looking for love and all the wrong places leads to you know, sort of the wrong thing, so you know, go back to go back to what you know, and go back to you know, stay in your lane and that sort of thing. Like everybody's sort of learning the same sort of lesson in their own way, in their own storyline and just sort of neatly wrapping up at the end of each episode.
Speaker 2: You know, I think that's a technique. I mean, maybe I'm wrong, but I think it was like there's a kind of TV that happened back then that was like that methodically right, And then there became this became more of what I think they call it serial where it just keeps going because it's just a It really did change, yeah, technically.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when we become more of a nighttime soap ouper, we had storylines that carried over and things that were ongoing, and and you know also like so far at episode three, we really only know like al the Alison character, and the Billie character, and the Jake character, and the Jane and Michael, like we haven't really gotten to know much about Matt or Ronda, Like we just don't we.
Speaker 3: Don't know what they're doing yet. Or even Sandy. She's really just there.
Speaker 4: We know she's an actress, but we haven't seen her have like a storyline of her own. She's really just their sort of supporting right Jake's storyline and being sort of like an advice giver or stick her nose in it person like.
Speaker 3: But so what.
Speaker 4: We don't really know much about her yet storyline wise. But yeah, all these stories were neatly wrapped up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they were.
Speaker 1: All self contained in the beginning.
Speaker 2: So I ended up with accounts the kiss count because we were going to do this. I think when we thought of Melrose that we were always kissing there, so we thought we'd start to this this episode I have. I'm going with sixteen.
Speaker 3: Just because I will take your word for it.
Speaker 2: Well, Ronda and Alex, Grant and Kelly had three or four, you know. Michael and Jane had three, and then this major makeout which I gave five two, and then and then there was the pack that Jane gave him post coital and bed, and I counted that as a kiss. So I met sixteen, which is not bad for Melrose Place, even though it gets steamier as it goes.
Speaker 1: Yea, Yeah, it doesn't feel steamy at this point.
Speaker 4: I loved I loved seeing you know, Nest Carbonell way back then, and I think we're going to see a lot of that.
Speaker 3: So many guest stars that have.
Speaker 4: Had huge careers, and it's so fun to see that we were all on melrose back in the day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so much fun, super fun, excellent.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so will The next episode is number four original Melrose Place.
Speaker 3: That will be We'll see you, We'll see you next time.
Speaker 2: I know I'll say, hey, I can't wait to see what you're wearing for it.
Speaker 3: I'm sure she'll have another cute tracks