Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: This is the closing bell on the stock mover's report the company's making moves at the close of US trading with Carol Masser, Tim Stenoveck, Romaine Bostik, and Katie Greifeld.
Speaker 3: Back to the large caps, I go s and p five hundred guys, almost an even split. Katie got two hundred and fifty nine names gaining ground on this Tuesday, two hundred and forty three to the downside, one unchanged.
Speaker 4: Well, let's take a look at the sector breakdown as well, and interesting makeup there. You can see that when it comes to losers, tech is your big red slice there, down about one percent as a sector. Consumer discretionary as well. Industrials Materials also fall, falling. When it comes to what was really trying to push this market into the green coming into the closed, healthcare hire by one point nine percent.
Speaker 5: As a sector.
Speaker 4: You also saw consumer staples and financial rallying as well.
Speaker 5: Thank you healthcare. Right, yeah, this comes to our aid.
Speaker 3: Let's go to some of the individual gainers in today's session. I felt like, for the most part, there were names that I'm never talking about, but let's just go there Zebra Technologies number one gainer in the S and P five hundred up about eleven and a half percent. You know, barcode scanners, printers, interactive Kiosks eleven point eight.
Speaker 5: Billion dollar market cap.
Speaker 3: If you're not familiar, it's a consumer electronics company, as I mentioned, reported first quarter results that beat expectations, and it raises full year forecast for both adjusted earnings and free cash flow. Just to quick check on what the stock's doing year to date, it's just down fractionally, so not a big mover at least for the year overall. Here's another one, hopefully I'm saying it correctly. Ambic Micro take our AAAMBQ. This one up forty five percent, pretty much finishing at its highs of the session, closing out a record. It's an ultra low power semiconductor solutions provider. It reported better than expected results for the first quarter. It provided second quarter guidance that also topped expectations, so investors are pretty keen on this. It's about a one point four billion dollar market cap company. It is up, folks, one hundred and thirty percent year to date. And then here are two names that you are many people are familiar with, and we're talking about Philip Morris and Altria, these names both gaining in today's session too, and two point six percent higher for Philip Morris about one point nine percent for Altria.
Speaker 5: Shares are up for second days.
Speaker 3: And let's weigh in on a Friday afternoon update from the FDA in which the agency provided enforcement policies with regard to the marketing of certain electronic nicotine delivery system products and nicotine pouch products that do not have pre market authorization.
Speaker 5: So some enthusiasm for that one over to you.
Speaker 6: Okay, Well, let's talk to some talk about some stocks in the red. I want to talk about the socks fell today by three percent, was down more than six percent earlier in the session. So many companies in the socks were lower, and so many chip companies were lower, and just in the AI space and AI adjacent space that I just had to go with the entire index here. Power equipment companies fell, memory chip companies felt. Semiconductor companies fell. Little cooling of the AI rally that we've seen, many chip stocks have been scaling the new all time highs in recent days. The sector has been boosted by investor enthusiasm over AI and infrastructure buildouts. Big names that fell today Qualcomm down, Micron down, Intel down, AMD fell as well.
Speaker 5: In addition to many others.
Speaker 6: I want to go over to Brown Foreman, the parent company of Jack Daniels. The Wall Street Journal reporting just in the last half hour of trading that Brown Foreman has rejected a fifteen billion dollar takeover offer from Sazarak Sazaraq, the company behind Sazarak, And also buzzballs.
Speaker 5: What are you talking.
Speaker 6: About, Roman, I know you're a fan of buzzballs.
Speaker 1: I used to be a fan of Sazarak before they changed everything.
Speaker 5: Oh, Katie, you know I know what buzzballs are. Don't worry.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, time, all right, good. I'm told these are popular with like gen Z, the youth. Yeah, the youth. Don't picture of them?
Speaker 5: What are these?
Speaker 1: These like nutcrackers? What are these?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: They kind of are.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's like, now you're speaking my language, Roman, because that's my era. But yeah, they're kind of like flavored circular don't like you know, spherical alcohol filled containers that are popular at parties. They say like take the party to go with these. So anyway, Brown Foreman shares down about one percent. Carol's googling buzzballs right now?
Speaker 5: How many shots is the buzzball equal to?
Speaker 6: Finally, I'll let you look that up while I look at shares of under Armour, which we're under pressure today, shares falling today by seventeen percent. They were down all day today. The company sank after guidance for this year miss Wall Street projections. It was weighed down by that partnership with Steph Curry winding up taking a financial hit too over the conflict Romain in the Middle East in the midst of a turnaround. But as investors showed today, there's still a ways to go. Shows doown seventeen percent.
Speaker 5: Let's take a.
Speaker 1: Quick look at yields, because for a second straight day we did see them higher pretty much across the curve, a lot of activity in the middle, with the benchmark ten year yield now camped out right around four point four six percent. That's the highest that we've seen since at least fall of last year. Here and your thirty year yield now firmly above that five percent mark.
Speaker 5: Can two buzzballs get you drunk?
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely, you get most people drunk, especially if you do.
Speaker 5: It back to back you know they're kind charming.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, you they're dangerous.
Speaker 5: All right, well, claiming her next Friday red wine only.
Speaker 3: Hey, interesting story that might bum out some students over at Harvard. Apparently the faculty at Harvard University are voting on a proposal to limit A grades in undergrad courses to no more than twenty percent of the class plus four additional students. It's aiming to address is known as great inflation.
Speaker 6: Yeah, critics say great inflation makes it tougher for employers and grad schools to evaluate students. About sixty percent of grades are A in the academic year ending in mid twenty twenty five. Okay, so they go to Harvard. So shouldn't everybody get a's anyway? Or should it be they should be greater on a curve?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's what they're going to do, right, So and you bring it down and what maybe just for the top? Okay, I mean, does anyone what happens.
Speaker 3: If everybody just gets an A and does really well, it's a great teacher.
Speaker 5: Everybody's studying verty smart.
Speaker 1: You need to I think someone.
Speaker 5: I understand how curves work. I'm just geometry. I'm with you, kind of like what it's worth.
Speaker 4: It's hard enough to get into Harvard.
Speaker 5: Just give them good grades? Why not not the brag? But you know, I think, but I will please go ahead.
Speaker 4: What do you guys got, Well, let's talk a little bit about New York City because this certainly was well read on the Bloomberg terminal, and that is New York City, Zora on mom. Donnie has dropped his plan to raise property taxes to help close that two year deficit.
Speaker 5: But when it comes to.
Speaker 4: That pianta terror tax, that's that's still in play. But still you know, obviously this received a lot of pushback. There was a lot of skepticism about getting this across the line, but you know, it was also a negotiating tactic too on his part.
Speaker 1: All Right, so part of the property tax hike has gone, some of the others still there. How's Best Freeman doing? Because she was on our program yesterday, she was she made a very passionate plea against that peda tear tax in terms of the potential impact on the economy here in New York.
Speaker 6: City, but also the point that she made about it being challenging to actually implement because of assessments.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they said have you actually tried to follow the condo I mean, forget the co op assessments of the condo assessments in the city.
Speaker 6: None of them make any sense.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's like if you look at the I feel like.
Speaker 6: One has too many buzzballs or something, it always goes back to buzzball.
Speaker 5: Well, we're going to table this for the moment since we're not gonna be figuring it out. Yep, have to get some buzzballs, all right, guys.
Speaker 2: That is a wrap up the Stockmovers Report from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live, catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.