Speaker 1: If called to serve by b Smote himself. How could you say that?
Speaker 2: Man? What's handed? Man? You got Marshawn, Besma Lynch, Doug Hendrickson.
Speaker 3: And Gavin Knewsome and you're listening to politics.
Speaker 2: You ain't going to be You're known to be.
Speaker 4: Marshaun. How's a hit trailer of new movie coming out?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 4: That's the talk of the world.
Speaker 3: Trailers get to be hits.
Speaker 5: It's the talk of the world this new movie.
Speaker 2: Leave it up to Doug. Man.
Speaker 3: I notice you're a shitty shot, buddy. You can't even take the guy out. You know, you're not how to use a gun. The hell's going on, marsha.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna tell you man, they trying to ban the guns and count in the States right now. So I ain't been able to give my practice up man, you know what I mean. And that little motherfucker was fast as ship. Kei kwan. He fast as ship?
Speaker 3: Who's that actor?
Speaker 2: Who is he?
Speaker 3: He's a great actor. He's a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's like he like fifty four years old. And this little bitty ass was doing all his own stunts and shit. And I'm like, God, damn, I just hope to be moving like that at fifty and he did all this stunt like he get up, he do all his own stunts, like when we was practicing and shit doing that, like you know, when I was grabbing him and throwing him, He's like, no, actually, like really grab me and if you could just hit me a little bit, just so I can feel it so I could react. And I'm like, I don't know about really hitting you, bro, Can we just do a really good job at acting like it because you hell are small? Like no, no, no, I can take it.
Speaker 3: Just try it.
Speaker 2: So I hit his ass one time and he was like, hey, you know, Marshan, I was thinking like, uh, maybe we should not do that and you should probably just you know, we should just fake it really good. And I'm like, yeah, I think.
Speaker 5: Well, all I know, Gavin is that you and I are going to be with Marshaun and the Man's Shinese Theater in Hollywood for the premiere.
Speaker 3: The Red Carpet, the Red Card Carpet.
Speaker 5: And last time I was there when I did Angel in the Alphabet. I got invited to premiere and I had seven lines.
Speaker 2: Look at this guy.
Speaker 4: I had lines, boy, go to the true Story, I go to the premiere.
Speaker 5: During the movie, I keep saying, like, my scene's about to come up, and they cut all my lines. So at the end of the movie, I go to Irbie Smith, real real famous uh Disney director, and I go, Erbie, you're killing me. I bring my buddy. I go to the premiere and I said, where are my lines? And he said, Doug, welcome to Hollywood. We had to cut him all out.
Speaker 3: I was an extra in Sister Act and I think I got cut, though I claimed that my hand may have been in it. So if there's a mysterious hand walking by, that was mine.
Speaker 2: Was you singing? Yeah?
Speaker 3: What are you kidding? I rushed to the theaters to see me and I wasn't in it. I'm like, what the hell is this? Two days on the set as an extra. It's a big moment for me. Man. I felt kind of cool.
Speaker 4: Hey Jack, how you doing, Bud?
Speaker 1: Hey everybody?
Speaker 3: Great to be here.
Speaker 1: Hey Governor, good to.
Speaker 3: Be here with you. I appreciate Marshaun. You you're almost You're almost better dressed than Jack is today. He's all casual. You're looking good, Jack, Well.
Speaker 1: Well, Governor, I had to show you my hat. What's your is like? My oldest hat. I wear it every day and it's a Balbo cafe. My best friend gave my best friend game for my birthday one year and we go there best.
Speaker 3: This is the best guess we've had. This is our guy.
Speaker 2: What the hell?
Speaker 3: Where'd you get that? Seriously, where'd you get My best friend.
Speaker 1: Gave it to me for my birth We have a birthday gift friendship, and this was my special gift like two years ago, and I haven't really taken it off since then. We go we go there every time I visit him alt in San Francisco.
Speaker 3: Jesus, I didn't even know that man.
Speaker 2: I did not know that at Echelon?
Speaker 5: What what is that of Govin's Bori Moore sean below man Balboa Cafe in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: I thought he said bubble. I say, I don't know that one. That must be the upper eche line.
Speaker 3: I love it. By the way, tell me Jack, you know put all damn mayonnaise on every single thing?
Speaker 1: You feel like, I'm like, oh my god, I'm mister mayonnaise right now. Yeah, I actually really do mean all of it. I love mayonnaise. I think it just makes everything so much better. Serious, I really love it.
Speaker 2: Man, I'll throw up if I hate that.
Speaker 1: Dude.
Speaker 3: Dude, it's even worse than you think. Jack literally orders pizzas.
Speaker 1: Bro Yeah, I put it on pizza well because it's like a sandwich.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: But Jack, this miracle whip does miracle whip constant? I'm a miracle.
Speaker 1: I ain't mayonnaise. I mean Helman's Man, I love my miracle whip.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that shit is terrible.
Speaker 1: I don't actually know if I ever had it, but you know what, I should give a try.
Speaker 3: Oh that ain't right. I don't even understand that there are a lot of anti mayonnaise people out there. Jack, you see are losing folks.
Speaker 1: Listen, it's it's I'm prepared for this fight. It's a fight that I've been preparing for.
Speaker 5: Well, Jack, we're on her because you know, Gavin and I are just state school, public school kids, but we're on or having two Ivy League guys there, Marshawn being a Princeton graduate after.
Speaker 3: Princeton trust yeah with a wink and or no Princeton, but he does have a certificate somehow he got it.
Speaker 2: Not somehow, man, you know, I put in work for that thing. My boy, I wan't talk about Batman. I put in work for that long hours.
Speaker 3: But Marshan, I mean, Jack's got this. I don't know he went to I had to look him up the thing. What's something called Yale? And what was the other one? Doug starts with an h like.
Speaker 5: It wasn't Home, It wasn't Humboldt, State, wasn't nick Hard small squad.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, you got to you gotta get him right when they do that, because you know they gonna play this. We went to public school and state school. And she said, what makes Marshan?
Speaker 1: What do we do? What do I say?
Speaker 2: You got to? No, you got to just make sure you tighten them up. You feel me. You got to get them together and let him know what type of time you want you feel me? Have him pronounced it right, because it sounds like there you go. Did you heard university?
Speaker 4: Who's ever said you university?
Speaker 3: I never haven't heard of Harvard, but not Harvard University.
Speaker 2: But see, he wants you to know.
Speaker 1: I want you to know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he want you to know.
Speaker 1: Marshaun. I just got to say this. I'm a huge fan of yours and I think you're so cool. And uh yeah a long time and skittles during the game and anyway, you're just like everything. Yeah, you're a super inspiring guy. So it's an honor to be here with you, and you.
Speaker 2: Know what, I appreciate it, big dog.
Speaker 5: If Marshawn ends up running for mayor of Oakland, we need you to run his TikTok account because you're pretty good at TikTok speaking. Have you run the TikTok account for Marshawn is the mayor of Oakland?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Well, I'm pretty sure Marshawn's got me beat on all things communication. But I'm if if called to serve by be smote himself. How could you say that you.
Speaker 2: Know what the code party is. I don't even play TikTok though, you feel what I'm saying. But but Doug, I mean Doug, he ain't gonna let you play down nothing. But he did you know? That was one thing that he did tell me about you and how you rocket on there. How for me, I just I just don't know it, maybe because I'm hell old or something and I just probably don't get it. But you enjoy doing that shit though, Huh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I feel like I for me, it's like so fun to make the videos or make videos. I think it's it's really fun and I just kind of messing around. I've always been doing. It's just kind of like something that I've been doing in the background because I'm just a kid who had grew up with Instagram and stuff. But I didn't get on TikTok till a couple months ago. And it's really weird. It's really different than I thought. I was kind of scared of it. I thought it was going to be like really scary and really hard to figure out. But yeah, no, it's it's it's interesting. I feel like it gets a bad rap people say, like talk about social media like it's it's somehow like less dignified than other things. But I feel like right now we're seeing that it in a lot of ways drives the conversation and allows you to talk directly to people in a way that I didn't really fully understand until I started doing it.
Speaker 2: Well that's crazy, because then you must got it. You must got a pretty good algorithm on there. Because when I see some like like when my family members and shit showed me something like that, all I see is butt cheeks. You feel what I'm saying, butt cheeks and fucking fights and car accidents and all kind of crazy shit like that. So, I mean, I guess it just depends on your algorithm or the way that you choose to use that thing. But you know, for a minute there, I ain't gonna lie. The butt cheeks really did have my mond, Doug.
Speaker 3: I don't know what they're even talking about.
Speaker 5: Well, well, actually, Jack, speaking of TikTok was pretty cool. Is that you call out JD Vance all the time, who, by the way, I think is kind of bizarre, crazy too. But the cool thing is you call him out and in return, Govin gets called out by Trump every day, called new scum. But you're doing it in a cool way where it's like you're just telling them, hey, listen, hear the facts. Give me some answers. Gavin gets called up by Trump every day new scum. You know, I'll da da da, And it's and it's kind of interesting your TikTok stuff on JD and Gavin can allude on his Trump stuff.
Speaker 3: Oh well, but Jack, I mean, but it is it does beg a question, man, I mean, you're not shy about any of this and you know, I appreciate your willingness to put yourself out. You can contrast that to some of our major national newspapers that didn't even want to make a decision and their editorial boards about which direction to go in November. You've made it pretty clear about who you're supporting, what you're about. But I mean, it's it does come. And we were joking about the mayonnaise, but I mean, you got it. I mean, there's got to be a you know, there's obvious not just the risk, there's a reality of backlash and a lot of hate. I imagine that's a big part of it as well.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, I feel like, I mean, coming from you, that's such a compliment. I feel like if I can think of one person who has stood out in the last four years, I mean longer than that, but really especially the last four years of just like being someone to deliver the positive, clear, strong message that I want to hear as a Democrat. You have been doing that, you know, as well and not better than anybody.
Speaker 2: And I told Batman, go around for fucking president.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, it's like you've gone on limb yourself. I mean, you're saying that I'm, you know whatever, risking something, but you know you do it every day too, and I feel like, so that's a huge complent coming from you. But yeah, I mean I don't know, Marshawn could tell every like the haters whatever, haters or whatever, they help you out.
Speaker 2: It's crazy that you just say that, because right before you came home, we will talk about the haters that they might have something to say about Lebrown and shit, and we had it. You know, I mean, it's simple little two words for you. Fuck you? I mean you know that ship that shit is simple, but it goes a long way, a long way. You should you should try it. You give it a try, like right now? Like fuck you?
Speaker 1: Wait, mar Shaan, can I ask you a question?
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 1: How do you like? I feel like something I've noticed is that maybe I started off funny, but the more time I spend around uh people who are in politics, less funny I become. But I feel like you've managed to maintain like, uh hilarious attitude and focus obviously, Like how do you stay in the pocket like that and not get your brain warped by everybody around you? Uh?
Speaker 2: I think it's probably more so just like Uh, I'm not of this I'm not of this world. I'm like in it. So I don't really got no problem with the way that people judge me or if they got something to say about me, especially if they don't know me. So that shit has been something that I've been able to take and I've been able to like really hondo too. And I really ain't got no like, I ain't got no shame, like you know what I mean. I sit here with the with the governor of California, you know, week in and week out, and I don't feel I need to be a particular type of way because of his title. I just look at him as shit, this is dog that come to my my foundation events or come out to my camp going pop up like shit, what's handled with you? My boy? You fit? So I don't. I don't feel no pressure to be somebody that I'm not. And I think that's what really, you know, I mean, helped me or is me like I just I'm just me. I can't i' see no other need to want to be somebody else, And I love that.
Speaker 3: But it's interesting, you know, Marshawn here and you say that, and I deeply appreciate that. And you know that's what makes Marshawn so wonderful is he's He's the same damn guy, no matter the circumstance and whoever he's with or in front of and totally authentic. But Jack, I mean, for you, it man, it comes with a lot of expectation, right. I mean you you walk into the room and you've got all that legacy attached to you. And that's where I think it takes even more courage in some respects for you to be so expressive because you're putting stuff on the line, and I imagine your families, you know, they can't help it to be a little sensitized by it, positive there negatively.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: And So what I mean, how's that experience been for you as you? I mean, you talk about coming out on TikTok recently, but it's not just that. I mean you kind of blown up online a much bigger I mean, in a pretty powerful way, your legit influencer. Now in the conversation, you got a generation of folks that aren't necessarily tuned in. You're tuning them up and focused on this election. But again with a lot of that I don't want to call it baggage, but expectation that's laid in with it as well.
Speaker 1: Well. No, totally. I mean I appreciate I appreciate you recognizing that. I think that for me, the last few months have really been like I haven't been thinking about it too much because I actually really care about what's going on and that's at the center of it all. And I think that that allows you to play with people's minds and play with expectation and play with others like bounce off the legacy aspect if you actually care and think that you're hard is in the right place, and that you're going to be able to stand by what you did either way because you think it like you weren't. I wasn't prepared to not do anything this year, and that could mean a lot of different things, Like I, you know, a part of me thought like I should just go, you know, slog it out and work at a law firm or a public defender's office something like that, which is incredible work. But I feel like I was like, no, but I think I'm kind of better at making videos. And the kids that I would say next to you in law school, they should they are much better at being lawyers. And we should trust them and not me, and I should make the videos.
Speaker 3: So I think that.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Yeah, I feel like for me, it's like this has been a fun way to experiment rather than like, oh my god, the Kennedy legacy and how and I have to be so serious and do all this stuff. I mean, I spent a pretty long time in school not really misbehaving at all, and I live a pretty like straight and narrow life, and I'm super disciplined about a lot of different things. So I feel like, damn, how boring is does she so boring? Oh? My god? I mean, whatever, it is not boring. I'm so lucky I got to go there.
Speaker 4: But no, well, Jack, let me ask a question.
Speaker 5: Like Kevin said, you're obviously the most famous family in the world, the Kennedy's and whatnot, and growing up as a kid in that environment that press your head on you. Was there ever a way any Was there any time you almost went the wrong way because you see so many families with kids and grandkids and whatnot that go detour. Was there ever a point that you remember you almost went south with a bad crew of friends or something like that, or how was.
Speaker 1: That for me? It was never like bad crew of friends. It was more like just like putting too much much on myself. I had a really bad One thing that like I would say, is like I had a really bad injury for a while and I couldn't and I had to like have like you know, Marshan Froine knows all about this, but I like I could really walk for like a number of years, and I think that that was like a major personality for me experience that I think allowed me to develop some resilience. I take my grandfather's legacy really seriously and something that I've been like working to with the JFP Library since I was like seventeen or eighteen years old. Also, I feel like I'm talking way too much and we've got like three incredible people here, so I should I should stop.
Speaker 2: No, that's what you hear, folks.
Speaker 1: No, But I mean so like I put a lot of work and a thought into thinking about President Kennedy and what he means and like what the coolest aspects of his legacy are, and listening to his speeches and studying that and speaking about him and like applying the lessons of his time to our time. It's like all throughout my life, throughout every day, and I think that that's like kept me pretty straight and narrow. But I would say that after I released some of the videos first time around, I was like, did I like, I don't know, Like a couple of days went by and nobody said anything, and I was like, oh.
Speaker 5: Ouch, did I piss my mom off?
Speaker 1: I was like, I was like, whatever, I don't care. That's good if nobody says anything, like, you know, But anyway, I think that I was happy with the reaction in the long long term.
Speaker 3: But it's interesting, I mean, because your videos are related. I mean it's interesting use humor primarily as sort of the I mean, that's that's how you sort of bring people in to the conversation. I mean, obviously that had to be a big part of I mean, have you always been that guy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well totally, I think, like totally like a clown forever and love making people laugh and love doing impressions and stuff like that. But I definitely have my serious side too, and I like to have both. I think. I think that's like what I find really fun is to be like able to freak people out because they're expecting me to be do something like weird and I'm just like a serious, normal person and they're like, huh, he's so nice. I'm like, yeah, well I'm not going to do that, right I'm not going to go crazy right now. But yeah, I think humor. I feel like you probably get this. I mean, you've been in politics a long time. It's like you got to break through and and you can do that in a number of ways. You can be like vulgar and you can attack people, and you can be like you can do things that other people do, or you can like try to have a hopeful spind and I think humor. Humor is a great way to do that. And it's really all I've got.
Speaker 2: So you got like hell of security and ship around you all the time, like no nothing.
Speaker 1: This whole thing has been me literally just me and my phone. And I have now I have like two really cool people helping me, like who I've known for a really long time, like my friends growing up, and they're like pitching in. But it's really just been me on my phone, man.
Speaker 2: Because it's crazy, right, So when when they when they release like the press of like oh yeah, mar Sean Gevin and Doug they doing this podcast, Ship I had this dude come up to me while I was in the airport going to go through our first our first show, and I had this dude come up to me like hey, mar Shan, and I'm I'm already you know, I mean, i'd have made up my mind already, like man, I don't know why they didn't give me the ball, like right, because that's how usually people come. And he's like, you fucking scum back, And I'm like, what the fuck, I mean, what the fuck wrong with you? Bruh, Like you're fucking doing that that podcast with fucking news com like fuck you. And I'm like, man, hold on the fuck type of time you're on, brud like And it was weird because it's normally a guy that probably wouldn't have said shit to me. But you know, I'm like, man, what the fuck going on? So fuck you. I'll fuck you. I'll fuck you up right now. I'll fucking kick your ass, like, man, I beat the shit out of you in this airport. You got me fucked up, Like oh shit. So when I get to Batman, I'm like, hey, bro, you gotta you gotta give me some secret service or something. You gotta give me some people to come travel with me because you know I didn't. It's a different kind of beef when you you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: By the way, Jackie's not He's not bullshitting. He literally walked in tells me this story. He's like, Bro, I'm serious, I need security. Man. What the hell am I doing with you? Why am I even associating?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: I'm like, Bro, it's a different kind of beef. Like, Bro, you got this from kind of motherfuckers who looking to fuck you up and they can't get to you, but they could get to me, Like you gotta get me some secret service or something. So I'm like, man, you know what you being? You know who you aren't thinking? Like damn, bro probably got like eighteen security guards somewhere in back or to the side of something.
Speaker 1: You'd be so surprised at how much of a chaotic mess my life is.
Speaker 4: Marshawn.
Speaker 5: On that note, I'm curious, Gavin, we weren't around then, but like you know, Jack's grandfather when he was president, do you think he had the same people that had the vitriol Gavin that either if they didn't like him, or did people come up to the guys back then and yell at him say stuff or was it more of respect factor than it is now? I mean, do you any stories you've heard on that jack in terms of your round as far as what went on back in the day.
Speaker 1: And like there are the other two boys one And the first point is like it's always been like really difficult in politics, and I think that that's always been true. And it's a mistake to think like it's way worse now than it was in the past, because I think like a lot of things get glossed over from the past.
Speaker 3: That were terrible.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: But I think the second point is like there's no denying that things are more heated now than they were and people have a much maybe bolder than they were. I feel like something that comes to mind. I don't know why. I was a Senate page in high school and my uncle Teddy Senator Kennedy, was there, and I remember there was a senator who had been elected four years ago and he was still waiting to get his first speech on the floor. And that was like the old school rules. It was like you weren't allowed to talk until just to wait your turn for years and years and years. And I know that today now it's like people go in the first month, and that's kind of maybe that's a good thing, but I think that there is kind of less of a reverence for tradition.
Speaker 3: Maybe No, it's interesting way, Doug, just the remind you of Marshawn. I mean, Jack's grandfather was one of the closest elections in American history, So we were as a nation arguably as divided we are today one and it was interesting as well. It also was marked, I mean infamously by the impact that media had at the time to elevate a Canada or at least perceived of vetted to candidate. And of course now the changing media environment, Jack is obviously also playing into this where you don't even have no one even cares about giving an eloquent speech on the floor because they can go on one of the cable networks and express their grievance and get a bunch of viral hits online.
Speaker 1: Totally, I mean, yeah, I mean, I really do think about this stuff all the time. I mean, what concerns me the most about what I say on the Internet and why I really felt like I needed to post and why I started posting more was, you know, I realized that the only way to combat disinformation is like not maybe through government regulation, but through posting your own ideas and thoughts and and flooding the space with what you think is right, and because otherwise it's just there's a limited number of time, a limit number of eyeballs people are just going to be watching, and if Trump's on there all the time, then like exposure effect over time, that works, and so I think, like I think, but then again it's all it's also like a dangerous path. You're like, well, now I'm just going to post everything, and that's not a healthy mental space to be in either. So I feel like I see a lot of promise with what's going on right now. I feel like young people are like coming up with their own ideas, And I mean, maybe you've done this, Governor of like filming content with and an influencer who's like kind of obscure but because a really loyal following, and then they like, that's a really good use of your time. And I think things are kind of decentralizing and a what I think is going to be a good a good pattern. But I'm curious, like how much of since you got elected, Governor, how much it's changed, like in terms of like this year, you're making tons of videos, but when you first got elected, that was like not a thing.
Speaker 3: Now, well, I've just watched I mean, and you know, since my time as lieutenant governor, I'd say there's trend lines now a headline you sort of you see a significant contraction of traditional media. I mean, I just see it in the number of people that show up at a press conference in Sacramento. I go back to the Schwarzenegger days, which were crazy. I mean you look at some of those press conferences, you look at photos, and there it seemed in some cases, I mean, he had over one hundred media outlets at certain times. Of course, he was international celebrity in every way. He's not comparable to most, but back in the day, sort of the Reagan days in California, but even more contemporary days, going back to Duke Major and Wilson some of the previous governors. You look at the press corps and you see it hollowed out, smaller and smaller number of people. But really that accelerant I think went through COVID and then you really started to realize that we were you know, that we had to sort of in that social space because back to Marshawn's point about the algorithms, feels like we were living in two different worlds and we started I really started to see things sort of pull away in terms of truth and trust, and we weren't having the same conversation. We always were struggling to have the same Walter Cronkite type discussion. But boy, I think that accelerant during COVID and that, you know, is the emergence of TikTok. Obviously a maturation of Instagram and social media more broadly dispersed generationally like Facebook as platforms and others, and obviously X previously Twitter, but now man, it's it's I mean, if you're not in this space fighting for eyeballs and attention, then you're not able to You're not effectively communicating. Think is one of the reasons we're all doing this podcast is just trying to find different angles a way of communicating to real people and not having that filter or being in a filter bubble as it were.
Speaker 5: No, it's funny, Gavin and you guys and I going back to more Shawn the Super Bowl.
Speaker 4: I'm just here so well could find Jack remember that exactly mean that.
Speaker 5: Then, and and unapologetically Marshawn's always been real. Gavin's always done been real, didn't give a ship, And you're the same way right now. You could take the high road and be kind of low key and safe, but you're not. We appreciate that because you know, coming from where you came from and you being outspoken and your beliefs is really freaking cool.
Speaker 1: Thank you. I mean, I really appreciate that. I feel like, yeah, I mean, I've got a lot to say. I feel like things are really this is like a huge moment, you know, and and it's easy to get lost in the manicha whatever, but it's like this isn't this is couldnt be more important and cannot be more more clear. And I think something that I've learned or didn't see really coming in the last year is the gender gap that I'm that we're seeing in terms of Democrats losing support among young men and seeing as governor you are peak masculine energy. Marshawan seems alphaz like, how do we And Doug, of course you and me are both the traditional male alpha, but I'm wondering, like, how do we? How do you? How do we break through to God, how do you talk to young men? I mean, governor, have you had any success?
Speaker 3: Now, Jack, I was going to ask you that question.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: We talk about this sort of bro culture online and it's a big part of this election. And you know, and you say, talk about that gender gap. It's next level in both both directions, right, Kamala running away in a post Dobbs world, particularly around reproductive freedom, but also just more broadly on women's rights. And obviously Trump is just sort of dominating in that that Dana White space, that sort of Joe roganification of our politics. And you know, Joe's pretty moderate compared to some of these other folks out there. But I mean, I'm curious to you, I mean this, I mean, how what's your feedback in that space? I mean, how are you trying to to sort of try to address some of that. Well.
Speaker 1: I think that a huge reason for any success that I've had is has been because I am one of the only like young male liberal voices on the internet. And that was like a hole that I saw and was just frustrated by myself because like I like all the characters on the conservative side as characters like I like to look at their Instagram videos. I think they're so hilarious entertaining, and I get kick out of it and I want to know what they're saying and I want to know what's going on there because I find it just interesting and they're effective, I think, I mean, I just think it's like this may sound reductive and dumb, but I think if Democrats could do better on talking about the economy, then they would probably also do better with young men. And I think that a lot of the social media stuff that I see online, it's like a convergence between like you know, working out slash ice Bath and Crypto and like like other hacks, and it's kind of all about like performance and an optimization, which is like a great thing.
Speaker 5: Well, well, Gavin Marshawn's a younger culture. He can tell you from his aspect because I don't, like I said, I mean to me, you almost have to really have the talking points, and I don't know, you know, Trump does it geniusly, of course in terms of you know what he says, people buying, but Marshawn, coming you're in your point of view, I think it's.
Speaker 2: Just more so because like it's almost like when you speaks like Trump speak to Trump, speak to the people you have. You have a lot of situations where it's almost like now when you look at it, like being a masculine man, like that's a that's a bad thing with all of the shit that's going on, Like oh, you need to be talking about your emotions and your feelings, getting in touch with this and getting in touch with that. And Dan, if you say a certain thing about yeah, I mean certain group of people, motherfuckers look at you like, oh, fuck him, he's not right and wh how did he say that? And then you got the council culture. And then you got individuals who, you know what I mean, see the change in the world, and it's like okay from a man, like Okay, this is what the women is, this is what they accepting, this is what they like, this is what they're saying. Then as a man, you're gonna plan to that because you gonna want the woman. So therefore it'll start to uh decline. And then you get more individuals who you know, fall in line with was the uh politically correct way to be as a man. And if you you know what I mean, you stand up and you stand on what the fuck you feel then oh, no, fuck you, we ain't fucking with you no more. We don't like you. And you know what I mean, It's kind of like if you are a fucking alpha male, you're a bad guy, and you have Trump that speak to those bad guys and then he'll tell, oh, yeah, we're gonna get you some money too. Oh shit, Now I'm really listening to what you say. All of that other ship you was in, or if you racist or you we think you that way, and but hold on, you stand up for being a being a man and you're Finnah, give me a couple of dollars by all year.
Speaker 1: I rock with that.
Speaker 2: So I mean, you know, it's just the way that you know, people retain or receive information, And like you said, he a genius when he do it, and he speaks to that demographic of people. So you know what I mean, you get an understanding from that.
Speaker 3: Jack what I mean. It's interesting and I appreciate what marshauns saying because I think you know this this kind of this backlash to this emphasis around toxic masculinity and that kind of ship, and I mean it's interesting and I get your point in sort of the it's sort of us pushback against you know, I don't know what they sort of what would be perceived. I don't want to play into the frame.
Speaker 2: But just even that, you have to be aware and conscious of what the fuck you say, because had you said what the fuck I thought you was gonna say, then from some angle or some kind of fucking way, then they own fuck Gavin Newson. He said blah blah blah, bah blah blah blah, and this that and the third. So therefore, in your mind, you played that shit real quickly. Hold on, maybe I might, I might not want to.
Speaker 1: Go down that road.
Speaker 3: They may save me. But what I mean, Jay, you you've been thinking about this. Man, to your point, that's a hell of a statement. I never thought about it. You're exactly and by the way, as someone as a student of this, I never really even put it together. You are one of the few liberal sort of young male voices out there that's ubiquitous online. You're one hundred percent it's dominant in sort of a hard right conservative for a construct anyway, what do you think of what Marshaun said, Man, I mean.
Speaker 1: I think that there's so much truth to that, and like so much of it is kind of like not rational but like emotional, and we all kind of can feel it and know what's going on, but it's hard to it's hard to come up with like a linear story as to like, oh, well, like young men feel this and therefore we need to talk to them differently. I think, like, personally, I think risk taking behavior online is attractive to people. And I think that I've taken risks with being like silly or punny, but I think like taking risks is something that people respect either way, and I think that I think it's a hard thing to do in politics, and there's a lot of reasons not to take any risks. I think you have to, especially if you want to do anything about this problem, which is going to be a problem going forward. I feel like that's what I'm like, Oh man, if we lost like all these young guys this time, it's going to be hard to get them back. I mean, we obviously can be done. But anyway, that's just kind of how I see it.
Speaker 5: But you know, assent on the on the gender gap, Gavin, This is funny, Jack. So, a couple of nights ago, my my freshman in high school daughter had a volleyball game and one of her teammates, you know, got a spike and kind of got in the other team's face and the coach's face and whatnot. Nothing like crazy, but you know, kind of got showed emotion and which to me, I think is great because men have been doing that for fifty years. Okay, well from that game the other night, there's been a backlash in regards to parents, calling the ad, calling the principal. I can't believe this girl did this, did that. It's like, dude, like Draymond Green doesn't show emotion, Dennis Robin didn't show emotion, Lebron Steph Curry night night.
Speaker 4: But a girl does it now and the community is in.
Speaker 5: Uproar because she spiked the ball, showed some emotion and all that.
Speaker 4: So we're still going back.
Speaker 5: And this is when you know, female sports want to be paid the same and all the same stuff. But now you have a community of parents and people thinking the emotion of a female is wrong.
Speaker 4: And which I thought was total bullshit.
Speaker 5: So I called the family, say screw them, you know what I mean, And I'm gonna go tell the A D and principal go after themselves too. But like that's where we're at still, Gavin, and it sucks because it shouldn't be right. But going back to the Trump, like Moreshawn said, you know, he's just gonna say one way, people like, okay, cool, you know what.
Speaker 2: I mean, fresh, let me help you, let me help you out. Now say it with no. Now, that's that's where you get the haters at. And then that's where you got to say these two famous words. Come on now, come on now, you got to say like this, fuck you. They screw your ship. They don't understand. You got to hit him with the fuck you. When you get a hater on line, you gotta get him with the fuck you.
Speaker 5: Yes, amen, just then. And then the school's president was a nun, So I didn't want to tell.
Speaker 3: The none that. No, you're not gonna tell it none that and None's scared that he I mean, that's uh. I got some pts from Maname barget back in the day. That's another conversation, by the way, just hey, uh, you know it's without getting too far off, we were just discussing, which I think is a profoundly. I think if there's one thing after this election that could be determinative, meaning in terms of the outcome of the election and move the needle even a marginal way, but enough to actually tip the balance in the direction of Trump and may be in this space, so I think it will be one of the most analyzed and considered conversations, so I don't want to short change it. At the same time, Man, Jack, I'm curious because I appreciate your sort of reverence to public service. You speak to public service. I think what you're doing is a public service by willing to use your voice, use your platform, and engage in an authentic way, in an inviting way, as you say, taking risks, which I totally appreciate, and not playing by the traditional rules in that respect. But it begs the question, man, especially it's an impossible question for you to avoid because you get it all the time. And I'm personally curious. I mean, you know, with all the toxicity that is politics, one thing public service, but sort of putting yourself out there more formally in the role as candidate, I mean, is that something you aspire to or something you deeply you know it's just like the last thing you want to get involved with.
Speaker 1: I feel like I don't want to like give a bullshit answer, because but it's this isn't a bullsh answermance. I like, actually don't plan I try to plant too far ahead because I think that that always gets me like messed up into my own head. And so like, for better or worse, I've loved politics and followed it incredibly closely since I was like ten, and I just loved it and I went, you know, and there's something I can do about it. So I feel like this has been a really interesting way to try to come up with my own whatever, my own path into doing something about it. And I feel like I just kind to keep trying to stay in the pocket and take advantage of the opportunities that seem good. But I mean I would be lying to you if I said I never thought about it and I didn't think that it was an incredible uh career, And I mean if so much admiration for you and what you've done, and I mean, how could you not want to do that out of it? It's an incredible thing to do. But I really don't try to planty for our head.
Speaker 5: Well, Jack, you're you're a rock star, and you should plan a head because you got a huge future and.
Speaker 2: No you say you you say you've been following politics since she was ten years old.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I just love that. It's so brilliant.
Speaker 2: That's that's crazy, because you know what I mean, when you start, you know what i mean, thinking about it from a standpoint like you know, I'm pretty sure this is something that's in the household, like you've been you know what i mean, getting you know what I mean, talk this from a very early age, like in my community and with my background, that's not something like that. We hold court in the house, you know what I mean. So when you think about it, and then you know, you get put in this position and now it's like, oh shit, I'm on here with the government, like we're gonna be talking about politics and all this kind of shit, and just to think like how far behind I am on eight ball with it comes to this type of shit. And then we get somebody on here you're probably younger than me, and shit, and you start talking about like, yeah, you've been in this since like ten years old type shit like that's that's that's fucking crazy to me, Like to think like while I was ten years old and I'm trying to you know, I mean, flip up the couch to see if I could, you know, I mean, get a quarter so I could go outside and go buy twenty five cent icy from the lady upstairs. You actually, you.
Speaker 1: Know what I mean, I was doing. I was doing a lot of things that not where that weren't politics also, so I messed around a lot. But yeah, I don't know. I feel like, did in your family play football? Am I wrong? Like people in your family?
Speaker 2: I'm uh, yeah, one of my uncles did. But I mean, you know, when you in that space, you know what I mean, it's not like I'm and you know, he you know, go over to you know, wherever he's playing that so it's not like he's actually in the household with me to give me is am on what's going on? And at the time, like when you in that space, like you know what I mean, in this your livelihood, like you kind of like in this like what we call it right now, we call it like Disneyland. You're in this Disneyland fairy tale to where when you're in the league, it's like this is this is this is law to me? And then what's going on back at home, Like oh, when I get the off season and I'm not traveling with my family and this. Then I go home and it's more so like, oh, it's a celebration because you know, un home, like oh yeah, we you know, I mean, we only got so much time with him. It ain't like we really just get the Hey, so what is it like this like this and we really get the high at him? Man, figure out like what that actually looks like? So damn that shit is just like you know what I mean, it it be mind blowing to me when you you know what I mean, you talk to people and it's like, you know the issues and the ship that's going on now, and then you find out like, oh, well you grew up like this, you've been in this shit, there's been something that you've been talking about. And then it's like you know, somebody like me who you know, it really didn't make a difference to me until you know, I started, uh, you know, playing in the league, and then I'm getting hit with all these fucking taxes and I mean all this extra shit that I had no fucking idea about, and then fighter and all these motherfuckers I see, ah, my goddamn check, and I'm like, who the fuck? Who the fuck is fighter, Like, who the fuck is why is this getting so much money the mind and I did not see this motherfucker shooting in the gym, Like who the fuck is it? And they taking you feel me though? They getting Gwalid.
Speaker 5: It's fascinated in the backgrounds Jack, I mean what he's saying it compare you grow. I mean it's crazy right and Marshaun is real.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but the irony is Jack, he's bullshit. This is the guy's preparing to run for mayor of Oakland. Jack, Yeah, that's your political career. This guy is out there, you know. Yeah, I'm on to you. Marshawn, I'm on to you, brother, But.
Speaker 2: Look at but look at the gap in there though, Like shit, I I was twenty. I was twenty when I when I got drafted, and you feel me. So it's like for a whole twenty year, I ain't nobody worried about all that shit. It's just like, you know what, I mean, what's up now? When you start thinking about it, like okay, in a sense the way we talked about you know, I mean, these issues, it was oh you know what, oh man, the government is playing like we ain't get our you know section eight. You know what I mean, welfare wig, you know what I mean, Banana. It's like all of the government funded up programs that you know there is to go and sign up for, like you know, I mean, I remember standing in the line with my mama to you know what I mean, to get like Mama, while we here, why were you take you so long? And then we come out of there, My mama hella mad, like, oh they fucked up. They you know what I mean, ain't saying I didn't fill out this paperwork right and out I this, that and the third so I can't get my foodston And hell, it's like hold on what so what that means that it's gonna be a little hard, you know what I mean, to get some food put on the uh on the table until we figure out you know, what's going on type shit. And it's like oh, but at the end of the day, it's not like, you know, Mom's just going and like, well, look, this is who the motherfucking Mary is, This is who the governor is, this is the you know, they just passed the bill and they just passed the law that you know what I mean. It wasn't like that. It was just like man, the government fucking up. So in my mind it's like, man, fuck the government. Why the fuck they ain't trying to they ain't trying to have me and Mom's eg Like, man, I got brothers and sister that needed. So then it forced you to go and do some shit that ended up putting you in a position where you're gonna do some shit that might ultimately when you're thinking at a young age, it ain't like, Oh, I want to go do some bad shit. It's like, oh no, I want to go do some ya I mean to get some money to put on my fucking to put some food on my table. And then you feem me, you get jammed up, and it's like, oh, well, now you're gonna be fucked off for the rest of your life because now you got what it's called a record, And with this record, you can't go and apply to certain type of jobs because you have this record. You can't go and get X, Y and Z, because you know what, when you went and did your taxes, you made a couple dollars more than what the limit is, and now you can't get government funded, government funded.
Speaker 3: Any of the programs. Yeah, you're no longer eligible.
Speaker 2: So what the fuck am I going to do right now? But it doesn't come. It doesn't come to us. It's like, Okay, yeah, this is why you going, this is why you're going vote, This is why you looking to You know what I mean, who is gonna be representing your Yo city? This is your Yo Yo state? You know, I mean, the motherfucker who running the goddamn hole? Uh? You ask and all this shit, and then you know what I mean, when you start thinking about it, it's like, fuck.
Speaker 3: You know what I love about Marshawn? What I love about what Jack's doing in particular, He's taking all those things and instead of putting in a negative frames, he's reminding everybody all these things do matter. I mean, he's focused on issues around gun safety, climate where Jack's next level in terms of his support of addressing the issues of climate change, things that impact this next generation, but also giving them a pathway to positively engage and feel like they have a voice in the process. And that's I think one of the most significant contributions that Jack has made to this generation that does feel like I think you express your generation feels kind of locked out of that doesn't feel represented, and so I just think it's one of the things that makes Jack's work so special. By the way, just on that, Jack, I mean we you know, you decided as well just to amplify that a little bit. And marshallt of you know that just interesting. Jack partner with Vogue magazine, which is just interesting, and You're like, what are you a spokesperson for Vogue Now.
Speaker 1: I'm their first ever political contributor.
Speaker 3: It was that your idea, their idea, and why Vogue versus you know, maxim or something.
Speaker 1: Well, I Vogue has a great, great reputation, and I think that why I was excited was because honestly, not only are they like great and do a great job and are great people the people I work with, who I can't say enough great things about, but also they have like a huge, huge, huge social media you know, they have like fifty million followers on their Instagram for example. And I was like, okay, well, this is like I gotta limit my focus, like I am doing like social media videos about politics. This cannot be a better fit. And because it's not so DC politics like heavy, they're like a little bit more creativity to do interesting things, I think. But I just also want to say that. I think, Marshawn, you deserve a lot of credit because a lot of people who have public profiles do not say anything or do anything or risk take any risks at all. And I think it's awesome that you are involved, specifically minded person, and I think that I think you know, you are such a good example to so many people that politics can is open to people who are who we admire for other reasons as well.
Speaker 4: So I just wanted to Jack had a question for you.
Speaker 5: I I literally and thank you for saying that to Marshawn, because Marshawn's always been There's no one realer than him. I've idolized your uncle. Literally, I grew up idolizing JFK Jr. Let me ask you a question if that accident didn't happen, do you think he would have been president?
Speaker 4: To term president? Where do you think he'd be today? Looking back?
Speaker 5: I mean, he's fascinating to me his life and what he did and who he was and it was unbelievable.
Speaker 4: And this is pre social media and whatnot.
Speaker 5: But we're do you look back and see where he would be today if he was still alive?
Speaker 1: I mean, so like I didn't he was like I was five or six when he died, so I didn't know him. I will say this, like he was clearly so far ahead of his time in terms of creating George Magazine and blending politics and media and fashion and humor. And I feel like somehow, I like stumbled into something on my own that maybe resembles what he was, like had his finger on. But I think he definitely he like had such a a knack and a feel for politics and media especially, and I only know that just from the clips I've seen of him. I feel so lucky because it's like you were saying, like I grew up, you know, loving politics. But it wasn't like we sat around and talked about the dinner table. It was like I have, like my grandparents and my uncles. There's like the volumes of books and recorded speeches that I got to learn from about them like everybody else can. And I think that that was a really cool way for me to interact with with my family, that John's included in that, and just kind of trying to understand them as as we all do and try to draw whatever lessons we can from them. Now. But I know, I feel really lucky that way, because there's like a massive public record of my whole family too, so I'll never forget anything.
Speaker 3: You know, Jack, what I love about your family is it goes back to what Marshawn was just saying and expressing his own lived experience in relationship to politics and what it didn't mean until it mattered, and then you're sort of you're kicking, you know, you're kicking and screaming because you're pissed off the government's not necessarily representing your interests. But I love one thing that in Marshaan, I think this is sort of interesting to have Jack with us. Everything that Jack's grandfather his brother Bobby were about, we're about addressing exactly what you just described in your live condition.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: Literally, if I if I went back you look at the speeches of Jack Kennett Bobby Kennedy, They literally describe what you just described and very personal raw ways your lived experience and how government needs to represent the realities that lived experience that people were having. And in so many ways I was I was particularly evocative that I'm listening to you here we are with Jack having that conversation and thinking about the spirit of the Kennedys and the spirit of the sixties ignorance, sollving for ignorance and poverty and disease and the spirit of public service and and so anyway, it's do I get emotional about this because literally, this is the family. I wouldn't be here in politics. I was inspired by this family, inspired by sars Shreiver uh and and and this idea of public service and what public what being a public service a servant should represent and uh and So I really appreciate and I do, And I thanks Jack for mentioning Marshawn's you know, willingness to put himself out in political terms too with I mean, I don't know how serious we're trying to figure out. Maybe Jack, you can ask him how serious is about this damn mayor's race.
Speaker 2: So that's what I was just finna get I was just finna get to so what it just sounded like to me, you feel me in my interpretation, And what you just said was I'm gonna make a hell of a mayor, my boy, That's what it sounded like to me. But that's what I heard you say. I heard you say, ay more, Sean brother, Hey, check this out a little Nick, you gonna be a saucy ass mayor bro, So just get ready for when that motherfucking time comes.
Speaker 3: Oh man, I think he just answered the question. Jack Jesus, this guy's running.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't want to run against you, Marshawn.
Speaker 4: Nobody would, nobody would Jackie Right.
Speaker 2: No, I'm just saying because many you know, like and this is and this is where my you know, I mean, you just said my ignorance hant all that shit gonna kick in. But I just feel like, you know, I mean, I got somebody who who's done it, you know what I mean, who's at the top of the game, you know what I mean, and they really got to like they got a stronghold on it, you feel me. And then you know, I mean I get to talk to him on a day to day basis, you know, I mean week the week, you know, I mean, and it's not just some made up ship like I mean, me and me and Batman. We had these conversations before we even had this. This is how this ship even came to you know what I mean, came to life. Like this wasn't my idea, Like this motherfucker called me where I was at. It was tune in the morning. You feel me, And I'm like, man, get your ass off my phone, like quit playing with me? Hung up on him? He called me back like, nah, Bro, you don't hear what I'm talking about, Like, oh, are you serious? Like who gave you the green like to do this? You know what type of I am? Bro? You feel me? I A no, We're gonna do it. So I got somebody in my corner that you feel me though.
Speaker 5: Hey, I got a better one for Jack. You're gonna take that Balboa hat. You're gonna fly out West. You're gonna come to Balboa Cafe with me and Mark, Shawn and Gavin, and we're gonna and we're gonna bring We're gonna whiteboard some things.
Speaker 4: Jack. You're gonna get a.
Speaker 3: White board Jack's political career because he didn't say no, Doug, And here that son of a bitch say no, no, no.
Speaker 4: Here's the deal.
Speaker 2: We got.
Speaker 5: We got we got great things. We got Jack going for we got Jack doing some great things. We got more Sean doing some great things again. I'm Kaiser Sosi. I'm a fictional character. I don't exist Jack. But here's the deal. We're gonna have some great food and wine that drinks at the Balboa Cafe. Have a great time and uh and and we're gonna we're gonna create some great things ahead of us.
Speaker 4: How about that? Jack? Can we can? We can?
Speaker 2: We can?
Speaker 4: We invite you for that?
Speaker 5: Jack?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I'm there. I'm on the next plane. Are kidding me?
Speaker 3: Love it?
Speaker 4: Love it?
Speaker 3: Well, appreciate you being on every damn uh social feed that I've got. You're You're ubiquitous, man, You're crushing it. Uh and you're reinventing the art. And I appreciate the blend of humor uh and taking the best of Marshaan's the spirit of Marshawn Lynch and Doug and their authenticity that they bring to the conversation, your wildness, your willingness to take risks, and and the courage that is a big part of that, particularly at a time where politics is as rough as it's been in a long time. So it's been great to be with you, brother.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it genuinely, so much fun to do this, and I truly admire your service. Governor Doug, thank you so much for making this so fun. And Marshawn, like you're the coolest person ever. I already knew that now, so appreciate bout my heart. Thank you guys, it's all mutual. And thanks for the kind words.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 5: And by the way, Jack, I'm gonna send you a Politicket hat to Politicken.
Speaker 3: Hat too, Sick.
Speaker 4: I'll get you.
Speaker 1: I can't take this one off. No, I can't take that off.
Speaker 4: You got more hair than me, though, Jack, I got to get my hair.
Speaker 2: Back you.
Speaker 3: Over that real game keeps thing. Brother, what shaw?
Speaker 4: There you go. I'm gonna put the hat on. Now, there you go.
Speaker 3: Thank you, brother, I appreciate you.