Speaker 1: Welcome to Before Breakfast, a production of iHeartRadio. Good Morning, This is Laura, Welcome to the Before Breakfast podcast. Today's episode is going to be a longer one part of the series where I interview fascinating people about how they take their days from great to awesome and any advice they have for the rest of us. So today I am delighted to welcome Christine Co to Before Breakfast. Christine is the host of the Edit Your Life podcast, along with numerous other projects. So Christine, welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Hello Laura, I'm so happy to be recording with you today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm happy to have you here. Well, why don't you tell our listeners a little bit about yourself?
Speaker 2: Okay, the top line is, in my previous life, I was a music and brain scientist. I have a PhD in that field. That was a long time ago, and whenever people asked me to drop neuroscience information, I'm kind of like my training is a little outdated. But about twenty years ago I left the field and just wanted to create more independent, creative, flexible ventures and I started in the wild world of the internet with a personal blog and over the years, my various iterations have included a published book, a couple of podcasts, a very robust creative consulting consultancy. I work as a creative director and storytelling expert, and so I just do a lot of things, and I have a couple substack newsletters now. And I've just always loved, you know, problem solving, helping people solve problems, and you know, trying to disrupt this kind of perfect lifestyle narrative with just how we all get things done. And I think that's why you and I aligned so well, is we're just both really committed to helping people figure out ways to do things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, take our days from great to awesome, as we always say around here. So your podcast is called Edit your Life. What does it mean to edit your life?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think in general there's a lot of content about decluttering, which of course is covered on the show. But to me, editing your Life is about really addressing well first, noticing the different pain points, stressers, areas of discontent, whatever they may be in your life, and figuring out how to edit those things out so you have more room to do the things you care about, make days more awesome, all of those things, because honestly, we all deserve it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So well, I want to hear about how Christine edits her life. So I am hoping you can talk about some any routines you have right now in your life that are serving you and making life better.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, my approach, especially in the last few years, perhaps sparked by the pandemic, perhaps just sparked by who I am in this current phase of my life, has really been all about micro So what are the little levers we can pull in our day to day lives in order to insert a little more joy, find some ease, some relief, calmer nervous systems, any of those things. And because all of us are under a lot of stress these days and we just need more touch points with joy, we just we deserve that too, right, So I think I mean just to think about Literally before breakfast this morning, I decided instead of I really do try to start my day by not scrolling. So if I have a great book with me, that's like my usual first choice. But this weekend I cracked open a brand new per puzzle that I received from my birthday. So I started my morning at like six in the morning laying out a few puzzle pieces, putting them together while I sipped my coffee, and it was like ten minutes before I started doing the things like making lunch and whatever else. But those little moments that I inst in my days are proving to be really powerful for my general well being.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you have a usual morning routine? I mean, is do you normally start your days with something like that? Or I wonder if you can talk us through that.
Speaker 2: Sure? Sure, Well I don't have as many children as you. I have two. One is out of the house, she's a college senior, and the other is a high school freshman. So like many parents during the school year, we have the routine of, you know, getting everybody up. We you know, I do my little practice with my puzzle or my books, and we all relax a little bit, and then it's kicking into gear with helping our kid out the door to school. She actually leaves pretty early at like seven am for the bus because that's just how things roll around here. And then I usually walk the dog with my husband or I do I do these growing strength classes like one or three times a week, which is really nice, and I kind of do all that stuff before I kick off my workday, so it's a lot of nice. I'm realizing kind of personal touch points with my family and my dog before I get rolling for the day, which is you know, I'm sort of in my office cave hammering away for a full day. So it's a nice way to start the day.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Is there anything you've stopped doing? I mean, as we talk about editing your life, is there anything in recent years that you have stopped doing in order to make life work better? Yeah?
Speaker 2: That's a good question. I mean, I think if we zoom out big picture, you know, the calendar and time is always a big pain point for people. I mean, you know that you help people autit their time all, you know, on the regular. So I think that I've really made a conscious practice of regarding any inbound invitations I get, you know, through my work, I get a lot of invitations to things. I'm always looking at it with a lens of do I really want to do this? Is this values consistent? Is this something that makes me feel sort of grumpy and resentful? Or do I feel joyful and excited about it? So I've really this is kind of a longer answer, but like over a greater body of time, maybe five to ten years, really worked on listening to that gut reaction so that I can easily just say no to the stuff immediately for things that I don't want to do, because I think it just people often struggle with saying no to things or declining things. And one thing I've realized and a practice I put into place a long time ago, was what I call a graceful decline, where I just say no, thank you, I can't make it, and I don't try to make excuses. And I think doing more of that, and so, you know, saying no to things that I really don't want to do has created a lot more space in my life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why don't you think people do that.
Speaker 2: That they struggle to do that? I think it's because what I've found in the years of talking to people about it is people want they don't want to hurt other people's feelings, or they don't want to lie. That's usually the thing. They don't want to have to make up an excuse. And so that's why I say, just don't make up an excuse, just decline gracefully, and that's it. And I find that that works really really well. People don't usually come back and say, well, why aren't you going to come to my thing, and.
Speaker 1: Earth has yet to crash into the sun as a result as well. All as well, all as well for share All right, Well, We're going to take a quick ad break and then I will be back with more from Christine co. Well, I am back talking with Christine Coe as the host if You Edit Your Life podcast, along with numerous other projects. So Christine, let's talk a little bit about planning, because I know that how you approach planning might be helpful for some people who are listening to this.
Speaker 2: Yes, I love planning, and I have like the vision of who I would like to be, which might be somebody like Sarah Hardung with like a nice notebook and some cool pens and whatever else. But I'm not that person. My handwriting is terrible, so I do. I want to encourage people to always find a system that works best for you, otherwise you're never going to use it. So I am weed to to do app. I use to dost. There's a free version, but I use the paid version because I like that you can, you know, link Google docs and do a bunch of other things that make the mental load of finding what you need much easier. So I like to do a kind of plan a two levels. One is the weekly level, where I do a weekly look ahead. It's usually on Friday, but I'll check in on it on Sunday just to make sure things are holding, in which I kind of look at my schedule see how busy it is. That's actually a point at which I kind of do my like what I call Goldilocks assessment of the week. You know, so if things look good, great, If things look a little boring or empty, I'll be like, oh, well, I have a lot of freedom this week. This would be the perfect time to try to schedule a catch up coffee with a friend. Or if things are too busy, if there's stuff that is really negotiable that I could move, I might try to move some things around, because I know, for myself and my personal work style, being back to back in meetings during days is tough because then I don't feel like I can actually do the work to do other things. So I'll do the weekly touch point on Fridays, and then every morning I pretty much start my day looking at that to do list and identifying this sort of top priority items for the day. Because it's important to note that for me and my particular mental load style, and also because I'm running a number of different projects and clients at the same time, i go super granular with my to do list, and I'll break out specific tasks, probably to a level that some people might feel as a little too granular, but for me, I need that because then I know, okay, I did that thing. Now I can move on to the next thing. So doing the day look ahead is really important because I literally flag in red into dost what are the absolute top priority items, so I don't lose track of things, you know, in my longer.
Speaker 1: Lif And when you're talking very granular, can you give an example of how granular these things are?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean from actually for a podcast example, which would be good because, as you know, there are a lot of moving pieces. I usually do podcast production on Friday, but I'll literally break out as separate tasks. You know, listen to the sound files, create you know, cover art, write show notes, what else is there? You know, schedule to megaphone in certain timestamps. I'm like breaking all of those little steps, which helps me not forget anything too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I know. That's always always helpful. And then how do you actually organize your workday? Then I mean, because you say you have multiple projects, do you aim to do like all for one client on one day. Are you always doing a certain kind of work in the morning or is there some sort of structure that you generally go with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, I definitely am a person who's I call them the golden hours. I think that's a phrase that you also use. And my golden hours for work and creativity and productivity are is definitely the more arning. And so late afternoon is when I'm really slumping. I don't think that's unusual. So I usually try to round robin on my clients in the morning, you know, after I've gone out and walk the dog or gone to an exercise class and I feel like I'm ready to sit down, I'll round robin through those. Pretty much. I need to touch everything every day, and then in the later afternoon I can work on things like podcast production or writing or thing or graphic design, things that still require my brain but aren't as intense. So that's usually how I batch it, and it kind of all works around meetings and things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and do you have anything that helps you get better ideas?
Speaker 2: Better ideas? Can I make a confession and say that I have yet to use chat, GPT or any kind of way. That's all right, I've not.
Speaker 1: I don't really use it either, so I made again welcome to the club.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, I just feel like I'm, like, you know, sitting under a rock. Everybody seems to use it. I just haven't. I think I'm kind of an old school Reave that way. I do think that really good ideas come when you're not sitting in front of a computer. So oftentimes I'll and the only tricky thing is I when I go for walks and things, I like to not bring my phone so I can just kind of like be free and bilateral and not be listening to anything and just be outside in the elements. But I do find that I tend to have a lot of good ideas popping when I'm walking around. So sometimes, you know, I will either literally bring a piece of paper in a pen with me on my walk, or if I have my phone, I can dictate into it to jot those ideas down.
Speaker 1: Okay, So an ideal walk is what we're for you absolutely, And then I wonder, you know, we always love to hear people's various time management strategies and any general productivity strategies. I wonder if there's any you've used in the past few days that have been helpful to you. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean I think that one thing that I've been using for a very long time, I haven't needed it yet in the last week because i haven't had anything like terribly onerous. But I'm a big believer in do your hardest thing first, because I think that sometimes tasks that don't actually take a lot of time but carry some emotional burden or some weight or some dread because you don't want to lie about saying no to something can be a struggle. So I sometimes will do identify, like or give myself fifteen minutes at the beginning of a workday to just power through some of that you know, kind of dreaded albatross adulting type flavor of to do's that really need to get done and just bust through them, and it's so satisfying and relieving for the rest of the day. And I really I know this is in line with you and Sarah as well, but I really do advocate for those check ins and figuring out looking at your weekly sort of scope and what you want to get done during the day. And not just from a word perspective, but also like, you know, what do I as human Christine co like person who needs like love and nurturing in the world, Like what do I need this week? So I think that's another important thing that I think. I'm not sure it's as common in productivity talks, but I think that we are more productive if we also are nurturing all the sides of ourselves.
Speaker 1: Absolutely I agree with that. Is there anything you have tried that hasn't worked for you.
Speaker 2: Tribe that hasn't worked?
Speaker 1: Not lately?
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm pretty creature of habit these days with the things that I enjoy doing. Yeah, I don't. I don't think so though.
Speaker 1: Just checking. Christine likes to try things out and they often some element to them will will work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sure there's something that I'm forgetting, But I mean I will say there's one thing that I think it's important to know, like to be curious, but also kind of know your limits. So I mentioned and earlier my handwriting is really bad, and I've always wanted to be a journaling type person, and I just I couldn't. It was a real block for me, and so I started doing a micro journaling practice where I literally write one or two sentences every day, and that has been pretty powerful. But I'm positive that if I had set myself up and said, Okay, I'm going to do fifteen minutes of journaling every day, I'm pretty sure that wouldn't have worked out. So I think part of you know, experimenting with things is also knowing where your points of falling off are.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I love that because, yeah, well I set yourself up to fail if it's if you know it's not a strength, then that apparently writing two sentences, even if your handwriting is not wonderful, can still be accomplished.
Speaker 2: Right, mm hmm.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, we're going to take one more quick ad break and then I'll be back with more from Christine co. Well, I am back talking with Christine Coe, who is the of the Edit Your Life podcast. You also mentioned you had a couple of substack newsletters. Can you tell us a little bit about this?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love substack as and you're grade at substack too. It's been so fun. My first substack is a personal one. It's called There's Always a Story. I started that one while I've written close to one hundred and fifty posts, so maybe it's been two years or something, and that one is kind of longer form. I would say it can be anything from photo recaps and very food oriented to deeper reflection pieces on work and parenting and lifestyle. I think it was a real healing place when I was transitioning out of a very toxic work situation a couple of years ago into being fully on my own as a business person. So I love that space. And then just recently, like literally in the last month, I started a second substack for the Edit Your Life podcast. So some may say that was a long time I'm kept coming since Edit your Life has been around for a decade, but you know, good things take time, and that has just been pure fun. You know. It's just been kind of taking a micro edit, like a weekly edit approach, and then occasionally I'll respond to listener questions and that sort of thing. But it's you know, I'm a writer and that space is such a happy one for me, so it's been really delightful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's definitely been fun trying out substack and seeing how people are getting their work out to a bigger audience through it. So Christine, I always ask my guests this question of what is something you've done recently to take a day from great to awesome? And normally I just let people respond as they will, but I am hoping that you will tell us a little bit about a recent newsletter you did write, which is about your birthday weekend, and afterwards you recounted I believe it was fifty two moments of wonderfulness in the course of the weekend in this newsletter, So that would definitely take a day from great to awesome. Somebody you could talk a little bit about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, it was kind of an unexpected post. I mean, I think I had in the back of my mind that I might write something about my birthday. That's like literally what I wrote as a potential idea for that week's newsletter. I just turned fifty two, and my daughter came back from college, and my husband and younger daughter Violet, and the dog of course always around, and it just the weekend started. I have the good fortune, or I had the good fortune this year of having a Sunday birthday on a holiday long weekend, so I had a little extra time for awesome, and I just kept being struck by all of these tiny, little moments, you know, from the moment my older daughter came off the Amtrak and walked in the house and I could see our dog's tail wagging furiously in excitement. There were just so many little moments of delight like that, and I didn't want to forget them, so I just started writing them down in a note in my to do app and then the list kept growing and growing and growing, and it just ended up feeling like this really delightful exercise of noticing, you know, noticing what was around, noticing all these moments where I was feeling people express their care for me. And you know, it wasn't extraordinary. We were at home that weekend, and I'm intentionally a pretty mellow person when it comes to celebrations, so it wasn't like I wanted some big thing I had asked for dinner. I said, I just like snacks, Like snacks are my favorite things, so I'd like snacks but with like shrimp cocktail. That's like all I want. And of course the kids made this like beautiful dinner. So I ended up jotting all these things down, and when I finished the list, I thought, oh, I think I'll share this to substack it was fifty two things and I had turned fifty two, So I thought, this is kind of magical. I'm going to share this. So I think that exercise of noticing is really important because oftentimes we're all so busy and it can be hard to just pause and think about all those tiny moments that are happening around you. But when you do, even if you do it, you know, it would be a fun exercise to do on a Saturday or a Sunday to just, you know, drap little moments down as you're experiencing your day and then look at them at the end of the day and see how that shook out. I think that would be a fun exercise.
Speaker 1: Well, and don't you think that perhaps by having like once you started, I mean, you weren't necessarily going into this intending to be like, Okay, I'm going to write down when my dog's tail is wagging. But when you started and then you knew you were going to keep going with this, do you think that led you to see more of them than you might sure otherwise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I had a couple of things that happened where I realized hadn't I had just been kind of in the moment I was like, oh, I should write those down. Those were like, those are like really wonderful, joyful things.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it does like direct like just give us one or two of them.
Speaker 2: I mean, I just think like anything from okay. So one example was earlier in the week. You know, I told you about the idea. I just wanted snacks for dinner and this shrim cocktail, and just a couple of days before the weekend, some of our best friends on Earth, who I love dearly, they live in the UK. They happened to be in town and they said, Hey, is there any chance we could bring birthday burritos by? And they said, we literally were listening to your podcast and you talked about how much you love burritos. I was like, that is one that's really kind, like what a way to be seen, and two that would just be blow my mind amazing to actually see you on my birthday. This is how much I love these people. And the moment that I hadn't even thought about or wouldn't have thought about writing down except I knew I was now writing things down, was the moment when I stepped out the door. I was actually trying to get some fresh air, because my allergies had gotten kind of off the rails and I was sneezing a lot, so I just stuck my hat out the front door. And then that moment when I saw their car pull up, and I started jumping up and down like a little kid, and I, you know, I kind of wrote that down in my list because I thought, wow, like a what a great thing to feel that excited to see somebody, and then to have somebody see how excited you are to see them. It was kind of like a dual mood boost.
Speaker 1: I love it, and I love Christine that you didn't decide to make the fact that your allergies were acting up as like, oh life is terrible, my birthday weekend is ruined.
Speaker 2: Yeah, seriously, I was complaining a little bit about the allergies. But you know, be that as it may. This is life, right, this is life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, Well, I know the birthday is past, but what are you looking forward to right now? Well?
Speaker 2: So I am. I mean many things, I guess, but I think one thing that has been so fascinating in the past year is I have become a person who is fascinated about earth, specifically, you know, gardening, medicinal herbs and so I have been exploring and I just recently went to actually one of my podcast listeners DMed me because they heard about some you know, free herbalist seminar that was happening online. And I went to a few classes and it was amazing and the people were just the nicest. So one of the things I've been delighting in is now being a person who thinks about the seasons. And I live in the Boston area, so I actually have four seasons, but thinks about the seasons in terms of planning my gardening plans. So I have a very nerdy Google doc and I was just working on it recently, you know, with plans for the fall of this year, some stuff to do in the dead of winter, things to do in the spring. So it's been very satisfying. It's a great hobby should anybody wish to pursue something different.
Speaker 1: Gardening is a great way to take any day from great to ask them, well, where can people find you?
Speaker 2: My general website is christineco dot com, but the most the places where I'm most active are the ed of your Life podcast, so you can find that wherever you subscribe or sub stack if you just find me there you'll there's always a story and edit your life wonderful.
Speaker 1: Well, please go check that out everyone. Christine, thank you so much for joining us. Thank you to everyone for listening. If you have feedback on this or any other episode, you can always reach me at Laura at Laura vandercam dot com and in the meantime, this is Laura. Thanks for listening, and here's to making the most of our time. Thanks for listening to Before Breakfast. If you've got questions, ideas, or feedback, you can reach me at Laura at Laura vandercam dot com. Before Breakfast is a production of iHeartMedia. For more podcasts from iHeartMedia, please visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.