Speaker 1: Welcome to a special edition of the Not Dunk Podcast. I'm Leaos today I'm joined by a legend from the Australian and international basketball world. He's a four time Olympian, had two stints in the NBA, once playing for the Minnesota Timberwolves and later for the San Antonio Spurs. He spent most of his professional career playing in Australia's Premier League, the NBL, winning the championship with the Cidney Kings in two thousand and three. And he joins me from his home in Sydney via zoom. He is Shane the Hammer Heel. Shane, thanks for joining me.
Speaker 2: What an introduction. Thanks and nice to be able to talk to.
Speaker 1: Who's Yeah, well that's what we're here for to talk about who's for? First off, how is the situation there in Sydney. You're allowed outside, you are allowed to mingle. I know it's been a little bit up and down there in Australia, but what's the situation currently in Sydney.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean we've been very very fortunate, had any cases for a handful of days now in New South Wales, so you know, wearing masks and those sort of things, and you know, having to check in when you go and get a coffee or something a week. So all of that tracing's big time here in Australia, but we're very fortunate to compare to the rest.
Speaker 1: Of the world, especially where I am here in Atlanta. It's we're a long way away from that. But hopefully today is the start of something new. But anyway, we're here to talk basketball, So let's talk first of all about the NBA and the biggest story I think still from this early season, the big trade James Harden goes from the Houston Rockets and to the Brooklyn Nets. Now, before we talk about the trade, what were your thoughts on how James Harden sort of played his way out of Houston there. I mean, if he was your teammate and he kind of acted the way that he did, he kind of called out his teammates, he didn't really show up, how would you have handled that situation in the locker room?
Speaker 2: Well, a couple of things.
Speaker 3: I'm going to go on record to start with and say that I am not a James Harden fan. Certainly respect his ability and his talent. What he can do is absolutely unbelievable, but wanting to be a teammate of his no sir e and you know, just his mindset, and unfortunately that's the way the NBA has played. These guys are going to dictate where they're at, and if they don't get what they want, they're going to throw the toys out of the cot, suck their thumb in the corner, put on way, carry on until they get traded, and ultimately they'll get what they want.
Speaker 2: But you know, I think Houston's going to be a lot better from it.
Speaker 3: They had to obviously demand as much as they possibly could to move a superstar on and try and rebuild again, and I think they've been able to get a pretty good reward considering the situation they're in.
Speaker 1: So now that he goes to Brooklyn and he's there with Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving, can these three stars coexist because you know, James Harden Kevin Durant obviously played you know, basically a decade ago in Oklahoma City, but they were younger players then and now they're both MVPs. Kevin Durant obviously won a couple of championship as well. Kyrie Irving hit the bigger shot in Cleveland Cavaliers history. You know, he's won a championship. He's a proven All Star, All NBA caliber player in this league. But he likes the ball in his hands. Kevin Durant wants a ball in his hands. James Harden, of course, needs a ball in his hands. Can these three guys coexist on the court and can the Brooklyn Nets ultimately be successful with these three?
Speaker 3: Well, it's the big question, isn't it. And you know I'm skeptical. With talent, no doubt they can win a championship and probably should win a championship, But you know, you've got to think about.
Speaker 2: The people these guys surround themselves with.
Speaker 3: So Kyrie comes back and he's boys are talent him, mate, you need to still go and get twenty five gilder Man. Those guys need to take a back seat to you so they know who you are. And then you know, James Harden's going there and he's trying to do the right thing for a period of time because he's got to fit into other people's teams. So you know, he does the right thing for a period of time, but ultimately the ego comes out as well, and his people are telling him.
Speaker 2: Mate, you've still got to be able to do what you're going to do.
Speaker 3: You've got averaging eighteen points a game, so they know who you are.
Speaker 2: You need more usage.
Speaker 3: You need to show everybody that you can win a championship and still average twenty eight to thirty points a game. So ultimately, who's going to sacrifice? You know, when it gets to the final stages. And now they'll get through a season, they'll have some big wins, they'll have some bad losses, we'll all talk about it, but they're going to be judged when they start playing against real teams.
Speaker 2: And the big thing for.
Speaker 3: Me is I call hardin harm because I refuse to put a Deni's name because that's the question mark. Will he play any d whatsoever? And when it gets right down to the finals, who's he going to defend?
Speaker 2: And does he have.
Speaker 3: Enough pride to be able to stand up and give themselves a chance to win a series against the quality team.
Speaker 1: I will say I was also skeptical of him, especially the condition he was in down there in Houston. It looked like he really wasn't in game shape. But the first two games I thought he moved pretty well. I thought defensively, he active at least there for Brooklyn, so he was on his best behavior. But it's one thing to do it for a couple of games. It's another thing to do it for the entire season. And then again, of course in the playoffs when you're facing the same team and teams look for weaknesses, they look for the sort of guy they can exploit on the defensive end. So that's definitely going to be an issue there, I think as well for the Nets going forward. But they've got that offensive firepower where it's like, how do you defend those guys as well? I mean, who you're going to double off? If Kevin Durant's there, I mean, you're going to leave James Harden open. You're going to leave Kyrie Irving open. Jeff Green shown that he can hit a three. Joe Harris is an incredible shooter of the ball. So they certainly bring a lot of threats out there on the offensive end. Defense is certainly a question. So this trade went, it happened. We heard that basically Ben Simmons was going to the Houston Rockets. That's what it seemed like. Apparently, according to reports, his agent was told Ben Simmons is being traded and it fell through. If you're Ben Simmons, how do you now sort of just get over that and just go back to your team knowing that you were virtually traded from your team? How do you how do you deal with that emotionally? How do you deal with that? You know mentally that your team basically said we're moving on from you. The trade falls through. Now you have to go back and just pretend that nothing happened. Like, how difficult as an athlete is it to deal with that situation?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll get to Ben Simmons. I just want to touch on one point you made about harm.
Speaker 2: He's on parole right now. He's been just there's no doubt about that.
Speaker 3: So he knows everyone's looking at him, So he's a little bit more active. What happens when he gets to his normal tendencies and now you're playing, you know, year twelve fifteen games a month, he gets back to not playing d And the other question mark I got for those guys is that the lack of movement.
Speaker 2: Those guys who want to play ISO basketball.
Speaker 3: All the time, and you look at some of the greats and some of the teams that have been able to make.
Speaker 2: It work with Superstars and Steph Curry and Klay Thompson.
Speaker 3: Obviously, with KD they move, they move those ball movement player movement.
Speaker 2: Then they all get a piece of the action as well. That's the question mark for me about the NETS. But with Ben.
Speaker 3: Simmons, I was hoping he was going to get traded. I think Ben Simmons needs a new start. I look at him now and it's almost like, you know, he's just conformed into this guy that's got so much talented, good defender, but he's playing within himself.
Speaker 2: His usage is low, he's not aggressive. I'm not of the opinion that he needs.
Speaker 3: To go out and start shooting three, so I don't think he has to, but.
Speaker 2: I think he still has to be aggressive.
Speaker 3: You know, his numbers have declined because he's not even really taking it to people trying to score anymore. And I think the great players balanced that up with being aggressive to put points on the board, but then drawing rotations and making it easier to be able to bring other people into the game.
Speaker 2: So I think he's a bit stale. I think deep.
Speaker 3: Down he probably would have been hurt with his ego if he got traded, but he'd sort of be sitting back now and going to He's probably would have been a fresh start as well. I would have been playing with different players that maybe complimented me a little bit more, and it would have been a new beginning.
Speaker 1: When I look at Ben Simmons, you know, he's a point guard. He's six', ten he's, strong he's, fast he's got all the physical tools you can ask. For and THEN i look at you were like five, eleven you, know not.
Speaker 2: S i was at least.
Speaker 1: Six but the Point i'm making, is you, know you were undersized for your position, there you, know and so if you went inside into the, paint you were going up against guys who were like six, ten six, eleven you, Know so you couldn't really go up and physically get those guys out of the way or out jump them Like Ben simmons. Can so you had to develop a three point game or a different way to score the. Ball you. Know if you were to Coach Ben, simmons you, know and again he doesn't have to Be Steph curry from three point, range but how would you work with him to, say, listen let's get a mid range game going? Here let's just get some sort of reliable shot because, again you, know you you made it against all, odds probably in THE, NBA i, think you, know just because again like you were going up against other point guards who were probably six two and six, three so you had to find a way to make it. Work how would you know coach or Encourage ben to take advantage of those physical attributes that he.
Speaker 3: Has, YEAH i think it starts with you, know as soon as the season.
Speaker 2: Finishes it's about getting the technique, right you.
Speaker 3: Know AND i coach elite kids, now and it's, about you, know once you've got your technique, right and then you're shooting with the right technique in close and then a little bit further out and you're shooting.
Speaker 2: Hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of shots a, day and.
Speaker 3: Then you're developing it off the drill and then you're getting your step backs and everything.
Speaker 2: Else for, me he's still.
Speaker 3: Flawed the ball's coming out of the wrong part of his, hand you, know he's biomechanics of everything isn't lined.
Speaker 2: Up so he doesn't have the confidence to be.
Speaker 3: Able to do it because it's just not natural for him to be able to see the ball go through the hoop of, practice And i'm not sure how much work he's done to make that a priority to Say i'm going to evolve my. Game so the fact that he hasn't evolved he shot still shouldn't take away from the fact that he should.
Speaker 2: Believe that he's An All star and to be An All star at six,' ten and, you're right when he goes into.
Speaker 3: The key he can go in and finish with, either hands so well he's touched around the basket on his floats and hooks.
Speaker 2: And everything else.
Speaker 3: Is unbelieved not to mention the fact that he's going to gam it on people, as well that he should be twenty points a game just by being able to do that and improve his three point percentage.
Speaker 2: As Well and.
Speaker 3: I'm just not seeing his mindset for, whatever reason really just be on that aggressive stage and feel like He's An.
Speaker 1: All, star, yeah well, WELL again i guess maybe that's. The Thing. In philadelphia there's been a lot of speculation over the last couple. Of years, you know Is It ben, simmons team Is It joel, Embiid's team and they kind of do get in each other's way a little bit on, the, offensive END because i don't Think that ben spreads. The floor and then You've Got joel embiid who likes to, shoot threes but he's not a great shooter of, Them either so, you know you don't really want your big man spending too much time on. The perimeter but you also if your point guard's in the paint And He's, ben simmons you want him to be able to at least turn a lot of those opportunities into high, percentage looks which is unable to do or he's shown so far he hasn't been able to really develop that. Consistent shot, BUT again i think like, any player, you know they've always got something to, work on and you take all those other things that he, does well, you know his, COURT vision i think he's got a good basketball. Like, YOU defensively i think. HE'S incredible i think he should be in line for all. Defensive teams so he brings a lot to the table while he's still working on other parts of. His game but that brings me to, you Know the australians we have IN the nba, right now and one, IN particular I Think paddy mills is having his best Season In san antonio coming off the bench there averaging fourteen. A game he was shooting over fifty percent. From three he's called off a. Little Bit but paddy down there With, coach popovich who you obviously played for there as well briefly there With The San. Antonio spurs did you you Know when patty made it in when you was very very quick There in portland in those first couple. Of seasons but did you see him developing into the sort, of consistent reliable leader that he's become down There In.
Speaker 2: San, antonio well he's always had.
Speaker 3: THIS talent i saw him as a teenage out Of the Institute. Of sport he was there at the same Time As joe ingles.
Speaker 2: And, you know.
Speaker 3: Unbelievable talent but he's continually been able.
Speaker 2: To evolve he's got a great, work ethic just that pure shot.
Speaker 3: As well let's, Face it pop's been one of the best defenders over the last ten Years Of paddy.
Speaker 2: Mill's game paddy came.
Speaker 3: Out at the start of this season and, He said i'm Going With. Olympic Paddy now i'm going with. The mine i'm going.
Speaker 2: To go make.
Speaker 3: IT happen i reckon the last couple Of years paddy could have played a much bigger role.
Speaker 2: In doing the sort of things that he's. Doing now it's almost like the shackles have been released a.
Speaker 3: Little bit like, you said almost fifteen points, a game forty seven percent from the three.
Speaker 2: Point line and he's that sort of guy when he. Plays free he's not a. Point guard we.
Speaker 3: Know that, you know he's a, pesky defender but he can shoot it, from anywhere.
Speaker 2: He can shoot. It quick he makes his team BETTER and i think when you've.
Speaker 3: Got Guys like DeRozan there that creates so, much attention he's perfect as that next sort of guy that can put points on the board and do it quick. As well so About time pop let Him loose paddy to be able to do what he DOES.
Speaker 2: And i think he can do it for a long time. As well great team mate and he's Been great.
Speaker 1: AUSTRALIAN basketball I saw Patty in atlanta last Year after australia BEAT the usa down in There, in MELBOURNE and, i, said well, you know you must have been talking a bit of Trash to pop, about that, you know like that's their first loss since two thousand, and six and, he's, like, ah yeah a little bit of, a JOKE but i don't want to take it too long because, You know pop's still my, coach NOW so i might spend are a bit more time on the BENCH if i give him too. Much lit but it is great To see patty just develop and evolve into that leader that He's come and that Game in Australia and melbourne last year or you know those two games he really stepped up And, carried australia which. Was great but Talking About greg, POPOVIC again i know you spent some time There In, san Antonio And andrew gayze did. As Well aaron bains has also, played there So so pop knows a lot About the. Australian, PLAYERS now i know you're only there a, short time But did pop give you any of that legendary he? Sort of, you know did he unload on you at? Any point did he scream and yell or how is your relationship?
Speaker 3: With?
Speaker 2: HIM no i mean he was he.
Speaker 3: WAS great i mean, for me it was so different than my first him IN the nba because they were. ALREADY retired i just won a championship With The. SYDNEY kings, I said i'm going to hang up With the, BOOTS now i was. THIRTY three, I said i'll play part Time. In europe i'd spent four Years in europe, all Together so i'll just, go back, you know Play after christmas and play for four or five months of. The year and then all of, A sudden i get a call up, to say can you come. To camp we're looking for someone who can shoot the ball and stretch the Floor With. Timmy DUNCAN so i. WENT there i didn't have the proper PRESEASON as i, should have and got the and, you know got cut a couple, of times and stayed there for, three months and the Last time, pop said.
Speaker 2: We're about to make a. Few changes hang around for the next, ten days and we think we're going to. Resign YOU but i signed straight Away in greece and went on with it at.
Speaker 3: Different stage in. My life and, You know. Pop's great he keeps, you honest no doubt. About that he's a bit scary at, different stages and, he'll dunk and he's in and out of when he's serious. Verse JOKING so i can Understand what. Patty's saying but, you know just the Culture And san antonio is incredible and the people they select and they're superstars and when you have someone like, You Know. Tim duncan and in the first VIDEO session i, WENT to i watched he Absolutely Ripped tim duncan in.
Speaker 2: The preseason and.
Speaker 3: What he did is he set the culture every other player in the team to be able to accept bank coached, and criticism because, You know tim put his.
Speaker 2: Hand up, and, said, yep coach, my fault and here's THIS superstar i. Don't reckon any other far in the world would have been able to accept it and move on and lay.
Speaker 1: That culture, You Know, andrew gaze he was on our. SHOW once i used to have a SHOW ON, nba tv and he came on and he actually said the exact same thing that he Said, that pop, you know almost as, an example would Call Out, tim duncan because, it's like if coach is Calling Out, tim duncan then player twelve thirteen on. The bench, you know there's no special treatment for anybody. Out here, you know everyone gets the. Same treatment, But look pop's still. COACHING now i don't know if you could believe that he'd still, be coaching what seventeen years after you've played for him There In san antonio and Again the spurs not really championship contender material, right now but always consistent and always in the, playoff hunt which is half. The. Battle really they don't have these huge peaks. And troughs they're just always consistent and continuing. To perform and again it's that defense that you never ever See the spurs just play a bad, defensive game which is just an incredible credit to what the Message that pop's being able, to send especially now that he Doesn't Have tim duncan, out there he Doesn't Have tony parker and. Those legends who are you with that team for such a. Long, time WELL.
Speaker 3: And i think the other thing too is that he sets such a culture that anyone that Goes To san antonio knows that you're going to have to, buy in, you know the expectations of the people that have come, before you.
Speaker 2: The Success that.
Speaker 3: Pops had so there's a respect there straight away that if you want to, make it and you can get Through the spurs program, right there you can. Play anywhere so they don't have the peaks and troughs because of that selection of people and private they'll.
Speaker 2: Grow again they need another superstar and it goes in.
Speaker 1: Those waves they'll. Find, one yeah just quickly talking a well as About another australian who's made his beginnings Down. In Dallas josh green hasn't had, you know hasn't had a real good opportunity yet to sort of get too. Many minutes what do you know about him and what are? The prospects Because the MAVs got him in the first round of the draft HERE and i think he's in a. Good situation they're playing along, You Know rick carlisle's not, quite pop but he's in that similar sort of vein that he's been. There forever they've got a Superstar, in Doncic and porzingis looks like he's going to be a pretty good talent. As well what do you expect to See From josh green over these next couple.
Speaker 2: OF seasons i think he'll continue.
Speaker 3: TO grow i think he's a really good pick Up for dallas because the way, he plays he doesn't want. High usage he's going to play out of. The corners he's a good three point shooter and improve three point shooter and probably will continue to improve.
Speaker 2: Even more but.
Speaker 3: He's a, great defender a, good ATHLETE and i think when you've got someone with such high usage as donkics and you've got the big valery.
Speaker 2: Inside as well that are going to get pieces of.
Speaker 3: The ball he becomes a nice little piece to them to be able to compliment and he give you consistency at the defense event.
Speaker 2: He's watched they've needed. As WELL so i think he just has to.
Speaker 3: Be Patient, in dallas they make you do your. Time there he's getting bits. And pieces he started a couple, of games but not a highlight of a whole lot of minutes at the moment that, over time that.
Speaker 1: Will grow do you ever hear from The younger australian players who have made it INTO the nba do you counsel them about? Life transition, you know Moving, to america, different country, different city big lot, of attention, you know lots, of games lots. OF travel, i mean are you involved in being a mentor with any of the younger men or women who come over here.
Speaker 2: To?
Speaker 3: Play yeah more SO when i was an assistant coach Of the, australian team because you're around those guys all the time, you're traveling there's an opportunity to sit down and tell stories and all the rest. Of that. You know my advice back to them was. So DIFFERENT when i went TO. The nba it's nineteen, ninety six not many people Out of america or even playing, in it And the americans didn't think anyone could play. Basketball outside so you had to do. Your TIME and i certainly wasn't. PATIENT enough i wanted to be able to get it. Done now and you have some big games and, you, Think yep i'm ready, to go and then you get left down and.
Speaker 2: Not being on and.
Speaker 3: Everything else so these, GUYS now, i think, you Know With luke lumley involved in the national team and so many guys that are on the, national team so many more opportunities to speak to guys that are there doing.
Speaker 2: It now AND when i, was there It Was luke longley and myself that.
Speaker 1: Far gone so, you know you said there weren't too many international players IN. The nba, of course, you know it's sort of throughout the nineties that tended. To grow and, of course, you know one of your most famous moments was a friendly game that wasn't so friendly AGAINST the usa Before the olympics in. NINETY six, i mean that was an, incredible game an. INCREDIBLE moment i remember watching It, because australians, you know LIKE when i think of the Ninety Two, dream team The First, dream team, You know Jordan and Magic, and larry they were kind of like, superheroes almost. YOU know i remember the other teams were like trying to get photos with these guys and changing jerseys and they wanted to, be, like, Hey look i'm on the same court as. This guy and things changed a little bit by ninety four and then ninety six and then. NINETY six i mean that was A pre Olympic game Australia versus Ure Saying Salt. Lake City but australians were never the same in, that like, Oh wow i'm on the Court with Shaq Or grant Hill Or. Charles barkley and you didn't seem to have any nerves or any sort of tension. Out there you just went out there and played as hard as. You, could now, You know america won the, game comfortably but you caught fire to the Point Where charles barkley took a cheap shot. AT you, i mean in, that moment what were, you thinking what, you're feeling and how close was that situation to sort of, you know maybe you're rupting into a bit of a brawl out out in, The court oh.
Speaker 3: No doubt we saw all the other teams getting photos and getting autographs and, these things and, we said it's just Not the. Australian way we love. These Guys charles barkley was my. FAVORITE player i love the way, you played his attitude and.
Speaker 2: Everything else but at the same time i'd hit two or.
Speaker 3: Three threes, you know he, comes, in laid takes my, legs out was a, Cheap, shot okay, got up gave him a little chest bump and gave him.
Speaker 2: A few, choice WORDS and i remember him, Looking down what did?
Speaker 3: You SAY and i didn't know whether understand the accent or whether he just couldn't BELIEVE what i just told him.
Speaker 2: To, DO anyway i, repeated it and it's. Obviously eruugh.
Speaker 3: But our mindset was that we weren't being disrespectful or trying. To grandstand and, YOU know i would have done exactly the same IN the nbl or. Anywhere ELSE but i feel like what that game did is that we've always been a really tight unit as.
Speaker 2: A strands we, play hard we.
Speaker 3: Played together at the end of, The day we'll have to beer with you if we, don't win but, all good.
Speaker 2: And we got a LOT of i think we got a lot of confidence out.
Speaker 3: Of that game because we were ramked about tenth into, that tournament ended up making the top four and having to Play The dream Team in atlanta in front of thirty five thousand people in the big football stadium to try and go through to a. Gold medal and obviously they knew who we were by, that stage so. They Scouted now i'd had thirty, two points they weren't get a twenty.
Speaker 2: EIGHT points i think had, eight threes and they know what you do you want.
Speaker 3: To get so that's a bigger challenge to be able to, come back you know after a full torn and play against but just great experience for us to be able to.
Speaker 1: DO it i was watching highlights of it the other day Again And dick Stockton And hubie brown on They Called, HUBY brown i mean, a legend legend of, the game and he was just in awe of you, out there, you know like after about the, second one he, was saying, all right get up on this guy because you know he's feeling it and, you know you hit, a couple you hit that corner One Over john stockton, as Well and hube's, just like oh, my god this. Is great so if you Can Impress, hube brown you know you're certainly doing. SOMETHING right, i mean, you know that's that's the highest sort of praise you can receive from a commentator.
Speaker 3: Right, THERE well i think because they obviously hadn't done too much preparation Playing, against australia.
Speaker 2: They just go out.
Speaker 3: And play but YOU know i always had. GREAT range i practiced from a long. Way out THAT'S what. I did THAT'S where i made. My living and, YOU know i look at today's GAME and, i, think, well raise these guys Are shitting look at. The range THAT'S what i used to do twenty five. Years ago THAT'S what, i made, you know a. Living from and in, that game they'd go under a screen and YOU know i could be a meter or two OUT and i didn't.
Speaker 2: Have a problem being able to knock.
Speaker 3: That down so it was it was, good fun, good experience, great crowd all the rest. Of it BUT like, i said it was more about us taking that into the tournament and finished, top four which you know we did a.
Speaker 2: Number, of times.
Speaker 3: Which is really Beeble for australia finish in the top four when you look at sort of the way.
Speaker 1: We, are yeah that's what it's going to ask. YOU about, i mean, The women australian's women Won The world championships in two thousand and SIX and i think they've won three silver medals At the. Olympics game So the australia women have. Done fantastic but for, the men we seem to we seem to be doing, so well but we just can't quite break through. And metal we've had some incredible tight Games against, spain recently which came down to some dodgy, free THROWS but i mean that's the way it. Goes sometimes and then in ninety six, it, was yeah we made fourth place there. As well are we closer do you think? To meddling are we? FURTHER away, i mean is the talent, getting better is the camaraderie still there with, the team or, you know do you sort of see us maybe, you know that was that was our best best shot and we haven't been able to sort of, you know sort of take home a metal when we. Should, HAVE.
Speaker 2: Yeah i mean it's a. Great question and we're finished fourth. Four times that was part of two of those us To lift.
Speaker 3: Awania twice in ninety six it was only by a, few points and we had our chances and that Was with Sabonas And marshall, len guys and we Didn't Have, luke longley so that was probably our. Best chance and like, you said these guys only a few years ago Lost. Of spain we were playing against teams that had more talent and we were overachieving because most of us were Based.
Speaker 2: In australia were very tight in. Your team we understood. Our roles now we've GOT more. Nba guys these guys, aren't scared, you know they.
Speaker 3: Continue on they've got more exposurey about PLAYING against nba guys week in.
Speaker 2: Week out that gives us.
Speaker 3: An advantage but whether disadvantage comes and my concern moving forward is does Playing for australia mean the Same To, ben simmons who's WORK whatever a couple hundred men as.
Speaker 2: What it did for ME that i was just playing because that was. MY goal i didn't aim to play IN. THE nba i wanted to Play. For australia that was, my pride that was.
Speaker 3: My dream so some of these guys that are making them so, much money do they want to give? Up time are they just picking and choosing when they do, come together are they going to embrace what it means to Be in australian and.
Speaker 2: Boomer and to be able to take, a role to be able. To win that's the question that. WE'VE got i.
Speaker 3: Hope that they embrace it and they're ready, to sacrifice because Playing for australia is.
Speaker 2: So front when you play for a club team and you get, your role it's.
Speaker 3: About stats it's about making all, star teams about winning, as well but these other things are really important.
Speaker 2: For contracts Whereas with australia it is nothing. About.
Speaker 1: That yeah well it's funny you say THAT because i know when, you know You watch Olympics Or, world championships You Know andrew bogert is incredible Playing. For Australia aaron baines has. BEEN incredible I remember i've lost his name there the guy Who played he played IN the nba briefly there. He, Played, no no he's an older, guy now he was about. SIX' ten i can't he Played. For the rockets he Played for, the raptors briefly spent most. OF his career I think in europe his name. Has escaped me but another guy Again. Just representing australia when you Put That, Green David, anderson david anderson. That's, the one yeah when you put that green and, gold jersey on players. Just, Play, Differently Again, patty joe ingles, all these guys they just look much much better out on the court because it just there's so much more. Behind BEHIND it and i just, Like you're SAYING that's why i. ASKED you, that i mean Do you think, australia's you know men's basketball, certainly at least are we getting closer or is that gap maybe widening a little bit because you see those other, countries As well like, serbia for example when, they play together they. Play great Basketball spain and france, They're always tough croatia they're another very, Tough team always, AND you know i think it's Very important that australia maintains that level, of COMPETITIVENESS internationally and i hope. That's, the case, so you know again Seeing Guys like josh green get drafted in. The First Round obviously Ben Simmons and andrew boger was a number one pick back in the. Day as, Well you Know patty And Joe and deli vedova. Is still. Playing dante, exam you know he's unfortunately dealing. WITH another injury i think the, talent IS there but i just hope that we can still compete on the WORLD stage because i think that it'd be nothing greater as An achievement for australian basketball if we, could just medal even if. It's a, BRONZE you know i don't think there's, any you know it's not bad to win. A, bronze medal. Yeah exactly. Exactly we would we would take it right now because we've been so close without, being able, to you know, to get there and some of those heartbreaking losses just they they just seem like it's just not. For us sometimes but but hopefully, that will. Change you know talking about THE W, N b a i wanted To Talk about lauren jackson firstly because she's been Nominated For The nay Smith hall of. Fame this year she's already IN The w Nba hall of Fame And the Australian Institute or Australian, Hall Of Fame australian Sports. Hall Of fame lauren jackson All, the, credentials championships, MVPs YOU know all nba representatives there FOR, the W Nba. THE seattle, storm i mean what do you what do you remember most about her incredible career and where do you think she stands in The sort of. Australian, SPORTING hierarchy well i mean.
Speaker 3: SHE was incredible i mean she was really the first superstar that, we've actually, had you, know women's sport probably with. Men's as well like her accolades and what she's been, able to achieve there's no doubt that there's no men's basketball.
Speaker 2: That's done more than, what she's, done you.
Speaker 3: Know GOING into the wnba when she was only nineteen years of age and then going on and achieving all of those things individually and collectively, for a team making. A team better but she's the first person we've really seen of that size that had the mobility to be able. To, step out, normally you know when you're six seven or six' eight, or whatever she is you stick them inside and you know you play through them. With a high advantage but she had that mobility to be able to step. Out just unbelievably skilled she did it from a young age and did it all the way until she was a.
Speaker 2: Lot older, as well so. Superstars she. Deserves, everything she, Gets.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's great and YOU know the reason. I brought, that up first off she's a Legend obviously in, the australian sporting world, in the basketball world but you yourself have a daughter who's shown Some. Pretty good form shila? Now where is she i've read that she may. Be DRAFTED this year now i don't, know if that's true or maybe, you COULD confirm that but i saw some highlights of, her PLAYING out there and I have to say i can see a. Junior hammer out there she seemed to have that same sort of, tenacity that she inherited certainly. That from her father she's got a bit of a three. Point game as well so where? Are we right now is she POTENTIALLY heading to the wnba this season or sometime in the. Next, Couple, of.
Speaker 2: Years yeah well.
Speaker 3: It's a bit different with the women than it is with the men, once you go pro and she's been a pro for a.
Speaker 2: Number of years now.
Speaker 3: She left high school to PURSUE playing, basketball like i did and so she's been PLAYING. Professionally in, the wnbl this year she helped her team go from Last to playing a Grand final Against This cambage and leilani mitchell and she averaged.
Speaker 2: Seventeen for the year. She's a good. KID she's unbelievably skilled a bigger.
Speaker 3: Skill is a passion that's the biggest strength because she just loves it and we've done so much training and she's pushing me and she's just so dedicated to be able to. Do what she does once, you've become pro internationally the, year you turn.
Speaker 2: Twenty you're nominated regardless you don't have to. Nominate in the draft so she's in.
Speaker 3: The draft next year, she just turned nineteen but she'll be twenty at the. End of next year at the moment, on the mock draft she's ranked anywhere between eight and eleven on. The main mock drafts but she's up against the college, kids that you know There's one of the australian girls that's turning twenty six next year, that's been there forever, and there's you know other kids that are twenty. Two to twenty, four but you know she's certainly shown she's. A first round pick She Was.
Speaker 2: In the all Star Five of the world cup a couple of.
Speaker 3: Years ago with three Americans and, a big french girl so a great Opportunity and you know i'm looking.
Speaker 2: Forward to her sort of playing at that. Next level she's ready do.
Speaker 1: You think you'll move back over? To be, with her you know if she does make it over here AND, play in the nba do you think you will move the family over.
Speaker 2: To.
Speaker 3: Be, with her na, no it's you know we're very, close as a, family and you know she does all the, preparation here with me and then we let her go and give, her, own space you know so she Can embark our own jennys and, have her own relationships and you go through ups and downs and we speak every. Day and everything else but anytime she's, PLAYING in a season i sort of, leave her a line.
Speaker 2: Like to sort of stay out of it a little bit more and just be on the other.
Speaker 3: End of the fund and then she comes, back and we say we, get to the lab we, evolve our game more and we just do THE same things that i did of just training and training and training to be able. To develop the, skills so she's, GOOD and you know i can't wait to see.
Speaker 2: HER get over there.
Speaker 1: A big moment in any father and child relationship is when the child becomes. Better than the, PARENT so you know i want to know has she hit dad with a step back or a crossover and? Talked, a LITTLE trash maybe.
Speaker 2: Well i stopped playing one on one. With her, a little you know she's Never Been a will because i've put, Up the.
Speaker 3: White flag i'm done she's holding their. Record at the moment we do a drill where you have to make one hundred threes at the end, of a tough session and her record's one hundred out of.
Speaker 2: One, hundred and six. Wow so.
Speaker 3: Three balls it's unbelievable but we're laughing today because all of the young, kids in, my camp you know they want, a photo with her GOT no. Idea who i am it's, like this OLD flake what do i want? To?
Speaker 2: PHOTO with him for.
Speaker 1: I think That Was like when Luka Doncic was in los Angeles Last year and kobe, Bryant's, Daughter, was like dad dad can you get Me A. Photo with, luka doncic you Know like you see, kobe rest in peace go. If you see him that. Just as the dad they're taking a photo Of His. Daughter WITH luka, DONCIC so i guess i guess that's pretty humbling for a dad when you know YOU'VE been in the Nba you've played for australia and all of a, sudden, people are, like sorry old man your daughter. Is, The SUPERSTAR now yeah and.
Speaker 3: I think as apparent i've got three, Daughters and you know i'm equally as proud.
Speaker 2: Of all of them even though the other.
Speaker 3: Two two other things and you want the, best for your kids so when you see them that they've found, their love, in life their.
Speaker 2: Passion and they're, putting so much time and you want to see them rewarded for. All the hard. Work and she is she's.
Speaker 3: Got, a great opportunity now she's got a great, head on her shoulder she's got her mum's personality and she's.
Speaker 2: Humble and everything else.
Speaker 3: So we'll keep that but she's got a little bit of it gets on the floor and a bit of fire. From me as well so it's not. A, bad bland that yeah we're just we're just proud of her and happy to.
Speaker 1: See, her do them well do they ever ask, you about that Incident you know, With, charles and, say dad you know what the? Hell? Are you, doing that, guy's, like You know well actually, charles isn't, THAT big, real easy i mean he's undersized for a power forward but there's that sort of there's that camera angle where it, looks like, he's like you know about six foot ten, and you're, sort of you know the camera is coming from behind you like that you only look like you're, about five foot four but you're sort of like. IN his, face there i mean, do, they, ever say dad like how did you live?
Speaker 2: To?
Speaker 3: Tell the tale well it's funny because, most of the time they're the only times that. Have seen me play is, that it's, come up you know all the. Time on social media so the kids sort of see that and watch, a bit of that. And that's about it and it's amazing how, many, friends that say mate she. Plays just, like you you know she's. A lot, of, tapes, i'm like nah mat.
Speaker 2: It's just the. Drills that we do i'll give, her the same drills so she's, doing those same things but hardly. See see me play but.
Speaker 3: It is funny because more people my. Age will come up i'll ast somebody either every day or every second day, COME up and say.
Speaker 2: I remember when you took, on that big.
Speaker 3: Guy Took on that, Big Shaquille O'Neil, guy and I'm, like.
Speaker 2: It, WAS charles but. Yeah, I, remember.
Speaker 1: Too okay well what we do now on our podcast and we. Play a little game it's Just It's. Called What you've got and i'm going to present, two SCENARIOS to you and i just want you to pick one and tell me why, you would pick one and. We'll have some fun and some of them are basketball or lated and some. Of, Them, are not okay, now the first one it's an interesting one because a, Couple Of weeks ago bradley, beal scored Sixty points, but THE wizards lost and i know. YOU scored sixty one i believe was YOUR. HIGHEST in the nbl i don't know if that came in a, win OR a loss but i know that was. Your career high there so would you rather score sixty? Points in a loss would you rather score or would you rather score zero? And get the Win.
Speaker 2: That's a great that, is A great question and. I'll answer that honestly we did win in my.
Speaker 3: SIXTY one point game i, reckon when you're younger you want the sixty one and then if you take.
Speaker 2: The, loss along the.
Speaker 3: Way you'll get it but you know you're trying to do your best you can and pave your way at the. End of your career it's. More about the wins it's more about playing the role. You're trying to win you're trying, to win a championship and you'll appreciate that more. Later ON your careers how i think it's probably split in two between me Being.
Speaker 2: Young, and me yeah.
Speaker 1: Well we talked about it on, the PODCAST we, do, and, I said Well listen i think i'd take sixty In, a loss in January but if it's game, Seven of the finals i'll take the.
Speaker 2: Zero and.
Speaker 1: A win that's fine i can handle not scoring. In the championship game but, in, the regular. SEASON sure, sixty points. I mean it's great i'm Going, to talk about okay now we've kind of briefly. Touched on this subject the best teammate that you ever PLAYED With In. The nba kevin garnette i'm PICKING the two that i think it, Would Be down To Kevin. Garnette, or tim duncan.
Speaker 2: Oh. THAT'S a Great Question i say TIM duncan Only Because i reckon kevin garnette would have been a much better teammate.
Speaker 3: LATER on his career i played with him with, his nineteen, great guy you know really high and really low and everything. Else And Good, guy but tim duncan it's just unbelievably. Cal't for a superstar, he set the time he did all the. Work and everything else he. Was a great TEAMMATE the first time I Remember speaking to tim, DUNCAN one on one i was actually.
Speaker 2: IN the ice bath i was the only one in The Whole. Thing in san antonio WAS the first day i got there and he WALKED in and, he i, was.
Speaker 3: Like Oh Shit this is tim duncan walked over and the first thing he said.
Speaker 2: Is DO you mind if i call your? Hammer Whatever You. Want you're tim duncan.
Speaker 1: That must have, been pretty, cool though you know like, you're probably you know IN a situation where i wonder if this guy, even knows my name but instead. HE knows, my nickname i mean that, must feel like okay at least you know he doesn't have an. Ego about him anyway.
Speaker 2: That. Was real cool.
Speaker 1: Okay one More Here. From the basketball world best shooter in your Opinion In Basketball History ray Allen Steph Curry Or.
Speaker 2: Andrew Gaze steph curry. STEPH curry, without doubt.
Speaker 3: I mean what he can do with his range and how quick he is to be able to catch. It and shoot it how great he is to be able to get it off of a dribble off a.
Speaker 2: Step back of. Ease Is Absolutely incredible.
Speaker 3: So steph curry for me first Rail And second and andrew gays, is just below.
Speaker 1: Me, just below, you yeah WELL yeah, the, Reason i mean, like i'm, not Sure You know maybe klay thompson could have. Been put in there there's, other GUYS as, well but i wondered Did You go against ray allen at some point in when You played There In? Minnesota, or, san antonio.
Speaker 3: Course yeah, AND again you know i was only there for a season AND a half, before I got injured so i got to watch most of those guys, more than anything else and didn't.
Speaker 2: Really go as head to HEAD like you know I would have if i.
Speaker 3: Had to stay longer but just seeing them firsthand just next level, with what, they do different size.
Speaker 2: Quickness, and, Everything Else.
Speaker 1: WELL yeah ray allen i got to see him warm up a few, times down at games and the preparation he would put in even when he, was in you know the latest stage of his. Career was, just incredible you know out there three, hours before, the, game warming up practicing, not just three pointers every, shot in close, range off, the dribble you know around screens. And things like that so when you see him out on the court hit that Shot Like Against the san antonio spurs that basically extended that series to give him, the win the, championship, it's, not like. Oh wow, that's, incredible it's like, well he practices that and he's been practicing it, for his entire. Career so You Know that's and steph. CURRY is, the same, i mean, You know his dad dell, obviously A great shooter but steph puts in the, work and you know his range and the way that he's changed. The game, IS incredible So yeah i think steph's the. BEST shooter ever too i. Think, he's just remarkable okay now You, WERE born in. Melbourne i know that so you did You grow up in melbourne or did You. Grow, UP in sydney.
Speaker 3: Now I grew UP in melbourne until i went to THE institutors for, when i was sixteen had a year then and then just went straight TO the pros.
Speaker 2: When I was Seventeen but. I called sydney home now you can. Chuse where you were this is The.
Speaker 1: Best, lifestyle in australia okay well, that this next question then you'll be able. To relate to it scoring ONE hundred On The mcg on boxing day or bagging Six Goals.
Speaker 2: In the grand final, i'm, Going six goals man oh like. Six goals, For sure for ME i'm. A massive afl.
Speaker 3: FAN i grew up i had to MAKE a decision, when i Was fifteen played FOR carlton or am I going To the institute of SPORT and love my afl Six Goals in a grand final in front of one hundred thousand every.
Speaker 2: Day of the week.
Speaker 1: Did you you? Were number twenty three was dermy the? Reason? For, Twenty three.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah and it's funny because, when you play basketball people think you chose It, obviously Because Of Michael but matt jerman, brenan was, you know, he died he's Hair he had the ferraris all.
Speaker 2: The rest, OF it so junior I whatt TWENTY three and when, I started, playing Professionally i said oh i'm going. TO carry that on i. Want number twenty three. So that's.
Speaker 1: Why, Nice, it's nice Okay well staying in melbourne because the big events. COMING up THERE soon i Think I. Hope the australian open would You Rather win the australian open in front of Your hometown fans in melbourne, or THE bigger event Which. I think is wimbledon which one? WOULD you Choose there i think I'd.
Speaker 3: Picked this train open after playing In the two thousand, olympics And you know say atlanta probably would have been much.
Speaker 2: Bigger on a world stage and.
Speaker 3: Dream teams And crowds playing in sydney was in front of friends and family is just something that. Was SO so special so i think being able to do that and with friends and family.
Speaker 2: Would be very good.
Speaker 1: What was it Like when you captain australia the Two thousand and Four, Olympics there in, athens because you know that must have been a real sign of respect that you got that honor to lead the team out there to victory and what turned out To Be your last Olympic. GAMES there for australia.
Speaker 2: I mean it.
Speaker 3: Was A, huge Honor andrew Gas, and andrew Vlahof Luke along with mark brady all. RETIRED in two thousand i came back to be Able To play for prime gorge in and lead a really Young Team, that included andrew.
Speaker 2: Boges so huge honor it wasn't one of The better teams.
Speaker 3: That i'd played on it's a lot of fun and a lot of players were blooded from that EXPERIENCE and just something i get to be chaired off at The, end of, fourth olympics you.
Speaker 2: Know and, they're green and GOLD is something that.
Speaker 1: I very much cherish I was actually In athens FOR the olympics and i was In the arena FOR. Australia versus the usa we had a big, lead EARLY on, TOO and, I, thought I thought wow maybe australia is going to. Pull this one off But because they had Lebron And, they had dwayne wade BUT they were OBVIOUSLY i think that i guess they were rookies or they just finished their ROOKIE, season IN the nba and i thought THAT wasn't the strongest usa, team BY any, means and i thought there's A chance here that. Australia could do this but in the end they got. Us in the end but that was that was a great atmosphere in, the arena, just again you know because you travel around the world and when you when you get to know Join that join the australian contingent and, have the camaraderie There cheering on the aussies. TO get their victories a lot of fun just just fell a couple. Of, points short unfortunately, okay last. Question, HERE last one now i know you're a bit, of A rockert too So i'm going to i'm going to sort. OF old school music i think this is. In your wheelhouse Here i'm Going In. Excess or cold chisel if you could see one, of those bands live which one? Would You?
Speaker 2: Go, to.
Speaker 3: In EXCESS yeah definitely well i was in the car the other day with my daughters and they, had the music BLARING and they Have.
Speaker 2: Wap on and. I'VE shaken my head i remember.
Speaker 3: On a school bus she Used to listen to disat.
Speaker 2: Song on AND they listened AND i felt like i was. One, hundred, years old.
Speaker 1: Well look this has been, A. LOT of fun shade i really appreciate you take the time. To join us here it's been great. Going down, memory lane, and really you know all The, best, Too FOR shilah, RIGHT like i say i know that you know she's it looks like she will be HEADING to the N w n b. A at some point that must. MAKE you very Proud i know you're you're proud, of all, your kids of course but seeing her follow in dad's. Footsteps must be incredible so it's been a lot of, fun talking to you and thank YOU very much and i wish.
Speaker 2: You all the best, Thanks for having.
Speaker 1: Me thanks a lot you could stay.
Speaker 2: Every day and are.
Speaker 3: You happy every.
Speaker 2: Minute it's been so long that your mona way. For it's happened already it's kind of a guy