Speaker 1: What's Up is Hannibal Burris. Catch me on the Bootleg keV podcast. Hey, What's up? It's Hannibal Burris, su Tune. Catch me on the Bootleg keV podcast exclusively on Deezer.
Speaker 2: What's Up its ship Boy su Tone?
Speaker 1: Catch me on the Bootleg keV podcast only on Kazzar. Bootleg cav podcast Special guests here.
Speaker 3: I'm very excited about this interview.
Speaker 1: Hannibal Burists, Hannble Burrs, slash s u tune, and then my jumping ahead in the interview, my bad man. I just feel, you know, it's it's I have to do it.
Speaker 3: Oh listen, dude. I'm I've been a big fan of yours for a very long time. I'm like a comedy nerd, So every piece of YouTube clip of your stand up I've consumed, and I just think you're a fucking hilarious guy.
Speaker 1: Thank you, man, app ship it's a lot of you do many thanks man, good interviews, you do, good work. I appreciate the homework. Yeah, I try, man, I try. So let's let's so listen.
Speaker 3: Man, you obviously have kind of always uh, I feel like it's always been pretty evident that you're hip hop head. And you sent me your song Veniers. Yeah, yeah, now Veniers. I'm glad that someone touched on this subject, because not only in hip hop, but really in hip hop, these veneers, you're running a muck aar, these fucking chompers, these giant pearly fucking I got. I got a friend named a d and he's got the biggest teeth on a human being I've ever seen. And they're not his teeth. There's so many that babies got their chompers. Gucci's got the chompers. Everybody's got the chompers. Why make a song about the veneers?
Speaker 1: Uh? You know I got mine in twenty I think it's twenty twelve, twenty thirteen when I got them? Were you e veneers I got?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I wasn't. It was the song is, uh, well, your veneers don't look fake, which is good, I think because I got them in a time where they weren't super pushed and marketed, so motherfuckers weren't doing bad jobs or something, you know what I mean, or over.
Speaker 3: The top veneers, because yours look natural. I would never Yeah, I think I got a good dentist.
Speaker 1: The reason I did the song I had alluded to it and stand up before About the Veneers, I called them TVT and I was I saw a thumbnail on YouTube about somebody saying they had hair plugs, and so it made me think about things I'd gotten, and so I thought about my Veneers, and I'm like, yeah, that could be a that's an interesting song concept with Veneers being a placeholder for anything people get to cover up something, you know what I mean. Veneers the tief thing is one thing. But and so just did the song did one version of it. The demo of it has I do a drum solo and a terrible jum solo and I'm screaming, I'm not going to splice. I'm not going to splice, just going crazy on the drums. That's such your like inside joke abouts producers. Yeah, that's why is not in the song anymore.
Speaker 3: It's such a niche like like point zero zero zero five percent of the popular like he would get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, So but it was a you know, I I produced it a little bit on the on the mold synthesizer app just to simple them down down, uh. And it was just a fun, fun record that I believed in and I performed it at Bruise of Thanksgiving twenty twenty one, Danny Brown's event in Detroit, and it just went crazy. It was just really live, you know, and this is a song that wasn't outright, I never heard it, which is hard to it's soup. It was crazy. People were rocking to it, I think because it's slower and just easy to catch on and so that was really exciting. And then wanted, you know, just Danny liked the song, asked him to be on the remix. You have Veneers one of my one of the few guys who needed him truly, I won't say anybody needs Veniers. Well, he was missing he had missing space. Yeah, but that you know, is it? Yeah? It was kind of his trademark. Look, yeah, it was kind of kind of took away from like, you know, his.
Speaker 3: Trademark a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just still eat. You know, it's not you know, it's not.
Speaker 2: Like having you know, it's other things that could be worse.
Speaker 1: That's the thing too with the song now, because I'm like, oh man, I didn't really mean it to be telling other motherfuckers that you need Veneers. It was more of about it was like a self roasting celebration a little bit at the same time, more so than like, hey, motherfucker out there, random person with bad teeth.
Speaker 2: I don't care about your teeth that much.
Speaker 1: I was making fun of myself, but I understand it's in a song now, so people could take it a certain way. It is what it is.
Speaker 3: So let me ask you this the dark side of the Veneers. Yeah, underneath your vene their little little like little things, little dumbs fangs.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, underneath his fangs beak and they shaved them down them yet for the amazing Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah. You know.
Speaker 3: I saw there's a rapper named beat King from Houston and he got Veneers and uh he posted the picture in the dentist chair with just a.
Speaker 1: Fucking his underneath joints and it looks grazy. It's super crazy.
Speaker 3: So have you had like to go back and get anything because I'd be so self conscious to eat certain stuff. Do you like not fuck with an apple unless it's with a fork?
Speaker 1: No, man, I might really, you know, yeah, I just eat whatever, man. I know that. You know, judgment day will come and this song's gonna be what do you just get them fixed up? It ain't that bad?
Speaker 3: What for you like First of all, how long have you been like working on music behind the scenes, because we know you as an actor, as a comedian, as you know, an entertainer. So yeah, obviously like you had a music it's to scratch, So like, yeah, is.
Speaker 1: This something you've always done? We just didn't know about it. I recorded music before I ever did stand up, probably my last year of high school. My homie Dave had this I forget the name of this beat machine with it was blue. He made some beats on now He's made some really some really bad fun songs back then right now, before I ever did stand up, and then just earlier on in my stand up was always adjacent to it from the very beginning, from hosting you know, open mics to I battle wrapped in college just because it wasn't that much stage time to do comedy, so it was just you know, battle rappings about getting that reaction. So I said, you know, this is an opportunity for me to perform. So yeah, from doing skits on people's albums, sure, talking and hosting shows, opening on Folks shows, to you know, having music on my show, it's always been, you know, been directly adjacent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, You've always kind of you've, like I said, you've been in You've been involved in like hip hop culture from the jump. I feel like, so it's like for you, it's like you have to have a certain level of confidence to be like I'm gonna because it's a vulnerable thing to put music out into the world as as somebody who's known for this other stuff. Yeah, you're kind of putting yourself out there for criticism, and it's your art at the end of the day, Right, So, like, was there a certain was it that moment where you performed the song like or was this just always the plan?
Speaker 1: Like it was a plan, but it was definitely that part of it was talking about driving the project since twenty thirteen, fourteen, but that was an ongoing process of just you know, I'm doing this shit and I know I could do it and just being in it. And so I think doing more shows helped, you know, shit that because that's what I come from doing stand up. You just do stand up repeatedly. So I was just doing hell of shows and that would just help build it. And then it helped me form my new songs my first project.
Speaker 2: Those songs, I liked them, and there's some some fun.
Speaker 1: Stuff on there, but they were kind of made during you know, twenty twenty one, not really informed by performing.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: So now the songs is, you know, I've performed them before I put them out, so I'm tweaking them too sometimes or rewriting and seeing what connects with an audience or recording after doing the show, after having that type of energy. So yeah, it took a while to build it up, just because especially when finance is involved, and of course it costs money. It costs money, and it just that's where the money's coming from. Like that's not where the offers are coming from. You know. Initially people aren't, hey, come rap is that's all me? Are certain that side, and people say, come do a movie, Come do stand up, come do this, come do all these other things except for what I'm actually spending my days doing. So navigating that part because that's not what the external communication was. It was something, But now it's just I'm in a good place. I've done a bunch of shows, had a fun opportunities year that you know, I know, I'm in a situation that the average up and coming rapper is not in just because of my previous career. So I get a couple of looks that fucking might ne.
Speaker 3: People are, I mean, and you have, you know, wrapped up a lot of friends along the way, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, it So it's been. People have been really supportive beyond you know whatever. And that's what I try to focus on now, is it's always gonna be. Even when I started doing comedy, some folks no, don't do comedy, you know, right, So that that's with anything. But it's been so many people that's super supportive and helped out from you know, the roots. I went out there wrapped that pitchfork with them, you know what I mean, And and uh, John Mulaney was playing United Center. He's like, you want to open. I'm like, I want to wrap. He's like, all right, So I got to wrap in United in front of a comedy already with twelve thousand people. But it's up and then you know, yeah, you're like, oh shit, that's Annibal as Animal.
Speaker 3: Oh he's rapping all right? Yes, but I don't know, you know, it's so it's uh, it's been.
Speaker 1: It's been really exciting because it puts me in that that mode of of that I was in when I first started doing stand up. Well, I don't have that with stand up. Now. I'll do some stand up, but it's for the dough. Like I'm not showing up to pop up, but I'll show up to it. I'll show up at a hip hop over Mike, and I'll wrap for eleven people. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: It's almost like you're like, like, because I feel like that is a part of like when you always hear comedians talking about like the come up, going to the comedy store, doing all these open mics, trying to do five shows in one night to work on your material. Yeah, it feels like like one of those times in your life where you probably reflect on and be like, man, that energy I had when I was just trying to make Yeah, it's similar.
Speaker 1: It's similar now. It's that feeling now because every because it's a lot of different possibilities and and you know, it's a different conversation with the audience through the music. It's similar. It's communication, but it's a different you know, conversations, different structure to it.
Speaker 2: The beats can guide you a little bit.
Speaker 1: And it's been it's been cool man, and and and the records is getting better and the show is getting better. And and and we're learning and releasing music is doing music is a skill you grow at that. Releasing music is a skill too in itself, and so I'm learning that part of it, how to drop music and how to So it's just all of the growth and excitement. I'm hyped every day. Man. Yeah, you said previous careers. So you're done with like stand up and acting.
Speaker 2: Uh not done, But I ain't.
Speaker 1: You're focused on I'll do I'll do comedy to cover the cost.
Speaker 2: Right now, That's what it purely is.
Speaker 3: Your comedy career is now funding your music, and it's just and just allowing me to fast.
Speaker 1: I did a University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee. They booked it was their comedy you know night for the semester, and so I do my ship. I had a band there, and so I usually my recent comedy Giggs. I'll just do songs at the end after doing an hour whatever. Now I try this for mat I'm doing. I'm starting off two songs, then I do twenty minutes to stand up, doing another song in the middle and coming there and do like thirty minutes to stand up and then close out two songs. You know, that's kind of dope. It's a fun show man, that'd be a great show to see. It's a fun show, and it keeps it lively for me, and it makes And that's so I enjoyed doing stand up in that scenario with the with the band playing under and it's just creating a whole vibe. Last year, I was very I was in my I'm doing music mode and I was turning down a lot of shit with stand up with no I'm trying to rap it like we don't know about all right past and so now I figure out how to get both how to finagle it like or I just you know, once I'm in adult you ain't gonna pull me out the stage anyway for rappings, Like I'm on stage already, so it's not to tell me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it's there.
Speaker 1: Now I'm in that zone of you know, figuring out how to make it work and and not so locked in on just the identity I'm doing music right now and leaving the food don't to me about That's where I was. I was in a real that's because it was still fresh, you know, in your your mind stay changes and grows, so it's uh, it's hell of exciting, man, it's it's a fun time and.
Speaker 3: You get a healthy balance between the two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's a dope show or another format I do. If I'm playing you know, music venue, pop up, small cap like three hundred five hundred, I have an opener, then I do stand up. Then I have the band jam or a music opener or two fifteen twenty minute come back out and I come back out do the music. And so then i've you know, I'm warmed up because I already doesn't stand up, so I'm lose two, you know what I mean. So and it's a separate set, change fits or something throwing some shape, you know what I mean, like making the whole different thing. So it's been cool to kind of figure out the live experience. I really care about the live show and making the shit dope and on point, and you know, motherfuckers come out the house to see you. It's it's a very important thing. So there's been times where I didn't, you know, nail it, or I was, you know, foned it in on shit, and so now I really cherished the live experience and how to make it really dope.
Speaker 3: I always say that like the hardest, like probably bravest thing anybody can do is just fucking go on stage and try to do stand up because your job is literally like you're like, the feedback is instant. You know whether or not you're good because people aren't there to fake laugh and they're out there to they want to laugh. People are there to laugh, So if you bomb, it's like it's got to be just I don't know, man, I mean, how do you compare that to getting comfortable on stage as a rapper, because you're already comfortable on stage, like this is kind of what you do.
Speaker 1: So with the rapping, you can do a lot on your own. I think you can if you really are being about it, you can really improve your stage show as a as a musician, you could take leaps and bounds over the course of three months, you know what I mean, Like just huge leaps. Yeah, you can take huge leaps in three months as far as your music show stand up. I don't know if you take the same leaps just three years reps.
Speaker 3: It comes to you know, life experience and come from send back and then you get better or you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: So that's the one where you know you can kind of you can and even in process you could pull things from people with this being in the studio. It's not stealing something. It's just like, oh I see I am a feller. Just get the thought you see say you hear somebody rap and say, okay, get in the booth, get that down. You know, like somebody's just syst that that gets other people to act on their instincts in the in the room.
Speaker 3: Right is I think like sharing creative juice is a little bit more encouraged. Yeah, that type is so like if you sampled some shit or like took a cadence from another song and put it on your song. It's it's not like a crazy thing in comedy if they perceive you stealing jokes, you almost like it kind of like blackballed at Yeah, it's a uh you just lose yourself in this ship more. Uh.
Speaker 1: Where I was on the show recently, I was trying to it's a lot to think about it if you want to think about it while you're in your show. You know what I mean. You got band, you got lights, there's a lot of stuff. It's a lot to think about if you want to think about it. But then I had the middle of the show, I was like just where about the next line and saying the ship out of that, and the physicality that comes with that, like each each bar and just and then that compounds throughout the show and then the show. It just went up in one of my best shows because the energy was there and I just focused on each line and just being in it. And so yeah, man, it's it's been a real cool time because you know, last year this show was better than last year's show. Next year show gonna be better than this year show, and so on and so forth.
Speaker 3: You grew up in Chicago, right, Yeah, so give me kind of your like are like, what are what are you growing up listening to? Like? What are the albums that kind of forms your your hip hop fandom as a as a as a young man.
Speaker 1: Yo, what's good? Man?
Speaker 3: We got to stop the interview to tell you about our good folks at my bookie. That's right, man. NBA season is winding down. Playoffs are going down. So many ways. You can get money. You could better on who you think is going the finals. You can get your prop bets per game. We are finally down to the final eight right now. My son's ain't looking good at the time of recording not looking good. Look, go to MyBookie dot ag right now sign up. I've been gambling on my bookie for over ten years, so listen, come and join me. Let's get this money together, my bookie. When you use the promo code Bootleg when you sign up, use that promo code, you're gonna get that deposit bonus. That deposit bonus is craziest to sign. The bonus you get. And not only are basketball football, which is starting to creep up on us, Baseball's back MLB Baseball man all season long. You get this money. Plus they got the online casino. If you're in the craps, blackjack, roulette, fucking slot machines, whatever it is, go to MyBookie dot ag right now, use that promo code Bootleg and get that free deposit bonus. That's how we're doing things all right. Also, want to give a big shout out.
Speaker 1: To the homies a King pom Man.
Speaker 3: These are our new sponsors at King pom Now, this is the thing about these King poms Man. These things right here, natural natural leaves, free of tobacco and additive is the only thing I smoke out of. And what's dope is they got these other ones right these this is one of their more popular items right here. Great flavor. These are the leaf rolls. They hold a gram each, and they got the turpen fused tips, which means you squeeze and you pop the tip while you're smoking your flour and you get a little burst of flavor. These are the peach pineapples. They got the energy drink flavor. They got blue blueberry watermelon. All kinds of shit. Man, so was dope. If you go to kingpom dot com and use the promo code bootleg Cave right now, you're gonna get.
Speaker 1: Half off, half off, half off.
Speaker 3: Kingpom dot com tobacco free natural raut wraps all right, and also don't forget if you're in a I don't know wherever you're at, go to seven eleven. They got them your local smoke shop. One of the most successful businesses in the game when it comes to the all natural leaf the most successful. No tobacco, no nicotine, just natural leafs to stuff your flour in. And in case you did not know, they also have whatever size king palm this is. This is a giant leaf wrapped around yeah, wrapped around some premium cannon by shout out to King Pom go follow one more time kingpom dot com promo code Bootleg cav save fifty percent off. Let's get back to the interview crucial conflict. Oh shit, the Final Tick. Yeah, come on, hey they show down. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm from the West Side of Chicago.
Speaker 3: So the Wild Style, there was a guy na Wild soid there's a guy named Never I.
Speaker 1: Think, yeah, it's a Cohart Cohart. Yeah, I love that album. The Final Style by my sign. Hay still goes crazy anywhere in Chicago. Do you like the original Hay or the remix? Uh? I like the original, but it might be so there's like a remix, but I remember the remix.
Speaker 3: There was like a remix that I I'm probably the only person on earth who likes the Hay remix more than the original because I found the Hay Remix first on like a one of those fucking singles. Used to be able to buy it, like the warehouse or Yeah. So I only had the remix and then I got the album and the original was like a little slower. I was like, I already thought that the remix was the original. Yeah, so I hear the original and it's just like Hey. The remix is like, hey, now, hey, now we're smoking on Hey, that's just a fucking anyway. Continue.
Speaker 2: That's how I am with California Love.
Speaker 1: There's a there's a remix with the Do Do Yeah, but the more popular one is I'm Always Yeah, going off a little. I'm like, what the this is the better one? But I guess it's all. It's a matter of taste, all subjectives.
Speaker 2: Man, do a die.
Speaker 3: Man? Listen, Yeah, do or Die? Pope, pimpin I love do or Die?
Speaker 1: In juke music, man, juke music not on the red. But that's just the production of juke music is a big influence. You know, I produced sometimes too. So my track but I Was at the Airport is kind of that faster paced, chaotic one sample you know.
Speaker 3: That was that in Chicago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was just always. You know, if you go to a party in high school, it'll play all juke songs for about two hours and then one slow song at the end.
Speaker 3: At the end of the party. What was the name of the Do or Die album? Or it was a penny? Was a picture? This was that the name of that album? Yeah, Like, if you the Do or Die album, it was a penny like the CD itself when you took it out. Yeah, I think it's called picture This. That could be wrong, I remember, but that's the one that had Pope pimping on it.
Speaker 1: Okay, oh man, I like steel Pop Pimp And there's a Doupte remixed too, like Adupe. That was. They even have like a little that they had a song funk.
Speaker 3: What was the song that they had, like maybe like in two thousand and seven eight they had.
Speaker 1: Some ship man shout out to them.
Speaker 3: I remember when they had like a there was like the crucial conflict like super subliminal.
Speaker 1: Beef going on with Bone Thugs.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah they would they will be dude.
Speaker 1: I had that track with Yay Higher. You hear this song?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: No man, there was a lot.
Speaker 3: Of random Chicago artists in the Kanye initial like wave of I checked out just because they had Ya beats. Yeah bump Jay no bump Jay for sure. There was another dude. There was like one dude who I'm Was he white or was he not white? There was like I forget, I wish David was here. He would tell me, but we we would always just like go on fucking napster and just find random Kanye production and be like, yeah, who the fuck is this guy?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: But yeah, man, so because how old are you?
Speaker 1: Forty?
Speaker 3: Okay, so I'm thirty six, So so I'm like right behind you. But my cousins and everywhere, I mean, I got put on a crucial conflict as when I was like eight in Chicago, did you guys ever get the Brother Lynch Shit? Did that ever reach you over there?
Speaker 1: What was that? Brother Lynch Hung? Oh Man, Brother Lynch Hung's peak wild horror core rap? Yeah? Like crazy?
Speaker 3: Well, I probably when I was like seven or eight got my first Brother Lynch Hung CD, and I was actually believed them. So, like he's on this fucking album and he's talking about like cannibalism, eating babies and shit it it's crazy. Damn he's he's saying to Tech nine now, which makes sense, but yo, it's crazy. It's like some Sacramento like wild ship. So I just didn't know if, like, you know, because the Chicago ship hit me. I don't know if the West Coast underground like underbelly horror core rap.
Speaker 1: Was he flowing?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Was he he could rap his ass off? Okay, because that's the thing. Was he flowing? Like just like saying that ship, just saying it and then letting the beat breathe, and he's just just like you know.
Speaker 3: Brother Lyn.
Speaker 1: He has an album called Season of the Sickness.
Speaker 3: This the album hold on, what's the fucking sor hes talking about?
Speaker 1: When you see me put that night up in that pussy home? Cocky back slow, come on, man, that's all over the room.
Speaker 3: This whole this whole song is about him feeding his children, other children.
Speaker 1: I don't get that in those It's like that wait, wait, it gets weird. I'm still recovering from the opening line, you better pray when I put my nine up in your buzzy yo.
Speaker 3: And watch the baby brains drip out their fetus. Bro, guess what daddy's bringing home for?
Speaker 1: Supp up nuts and guts and slaps of human meat. Motherfucker now eat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the that's the power of flowing melody. Man's like, hey, this guy, that song has eight million listens on Spotify right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a classic.
Speaker 1: It's just you know, there was like that weird horror core.
Speaker 3: Like there was like neckro and like yeah, uh I just I actually thought that was real. So I was always like damn, I don't know if I should have to see that as a kid and shit, but yeah, I mean he had that niche. I'm glad I could. I'm glad I could educate your on brother lynch Hon.
Speaker 1: Yeah I'm about to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's like, I'm not about to listen to that.
Speaker 1: Everything I have to now even No, that's the thing is now I have to.
Speaker 3: So you're kind of like around it, like you're really coming up on like common drops Resurrection and like can I borrow a dollar? And like the super early common sense ship like my high school yeah high school?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well yeah, so I graduated in two thousand. Trying to think of what albums I had early on, like Reasonable Doubt Drop, I had to rake Ray Kwan only building cute links that nas verse on verbal intercourse. I didn't know what he was talking about as a kid, but that ship sounded fly and I memorized it. Uh. But I like.
Speaker 2: Novelty stuff back then too.
Speaker 1: As a kid, I remember having deon Sanders must be the money, uh ninety five South like boof there, like that shit that you know, the Sanders. Yeah, yeah, man, there was a CD that I had as a kid, and it was every different it was like a compilation and every song was a different NBA player rapping. Oh yeah, and like Jason Kidd had a song, Fucking Mitch Richmond had a song.
Speaker 3: It was just like terrible music. But I bought it because I was like a basketball fan. I was like, wait, I could hear all these NBA players rap. It was a bad, bad purchase at the end of the day.
Speaker 2: But yeah, you think Shaq did it all right?
Speaker 1: He had some joints just having a Is it more about them having this in the room with them to get it? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Because I think Shaq had some ship. Yeah he had to, you know, you can't stop doing some joints and good presence too. Just he had black thought on ship. He had he before once that jay z nos Beef got out of hand, you could actually go back and Shaq had a song with both them on the same record.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, So was it these basketball players?
Speaker 2: Were they really bad?
Speaker 3: I think was actually a decent rapper?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Or with the other ones though, what they necessarily bad or they just have bad an r I don't know.
Speaker 1: Did you ever hear Kobe song? I did, but it doesn't it's not good. Yeah.
Speaker 3: That was like and then you have like fucking Ai who was dropping like you know he had he was like Ellen Iverson aka Jewels, and he had an album that was just all kinds of fucking street shit.
Speaker 1: You know. I think he might have gotten in trouble for putting that album. I don't remember.
Speaker 3: He was talking to crazy shit as like a millionaire, as like a guy who's got his own rebox shoe.
Speaker 1: People got to express man. Sometimes just some stuff that you can't say with the dribble in a jump shot. You know, you gotta just get in the steward, let that shit fly for sure. We got it. You know, I don't want to say this with twenty thousand people around me. I don't want to say this by myself.
Speaker 3: Who is your in your like go to when it comes to artists that you're you've you've got, you know obviously building friendships with where you can send them records and get their opinion back on them.
Speaker 1: Uh, Open Mike Eagle. I sent him a lot of stuff. But yeah, I said, open Mike Eagle some stuff? Who else I was sending I was sending a lot of people stuff When I made my track Kept about Three. It used to be called Kawhii freestyle. It was like fourteen minutes long, and I was it was November twenty twenty, so deep pandemic. Oh yeah, that's the perfect time that I would never send people just a fourteen minute freestyle now. But I was so hyped about it and I just felt I felt the progression and just liked how the track sounds. And I was just sending out to everybody. It's just like, hey, look I can.
Speaker 3: Rap for foes.
Speaker 1: It was. It wasn't all cool. He's we had it. It definitely has, you know, we cut it down, but it was an exciting time. I was sending that to everybody I knew at the at the time, I said, that's a hell of people just say, look like I sent this shit. But yeah, Mike, give some good, good feedback on stuff, and uh, it's just stuff to fly low. Sometimes I'll sit, you know, just see what he thinks. But uh, it's been it's been dope, man. It's just you know, just keep on learning, progressing. I want to be able to play drums in my set three five years from now. You know, I'm practicing ship and you know, getting on.
Speaker 3: That show that I remember seeing him live, crazy and I didn't doing the whole ship. And I remember seeing that pitchfork hears back and I didn't know you could do that.
Speaker 1: I thought I didn't know that was possible. I thought that was for my mother.
Speaker 3: He playing keys or playing guitar or only on the mic and not the d He's just shredding on the drums while doing all his verses.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's it is tough.
Speaker 3: He's an alien for sure.
Speaker 1: So uh yeah, man, it's been you know, it's dope to learn, and it's this exciting time man for short time, just to work on the work on the ship and getting the details of it.
Speaker 3: We talked about this off off the air, but I was telling you how much I loved you on the Eric Andre Show.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: That show was revolutionary in my opinion. We were talking like, I feel like it really did have a heavy influence on guys like Kayla Presley and Homie Marker or not Homi Marko. Homi Marker was my friend, Funny Marco. Yeah, and uh, there was just some of the wildest shit ever on that show, and you were like the funniest fucking co host, Like give me kind of like the I know a lot of the people who came onto the show had some sort of idea it was like, oh, maybe a Comedy Central show, but they really didn't. Did most of the people like not really have a clue what the fuck they were walking into.
Speaker 1: First couple of seasons, and especially the first season was probably the you know, the purest version of it because they it was. But it wasn't that many celebrity fake celebs on. There were so many random the video quality was lower, it had a different aesthetic, and and that one it really wasn't anything, you know what I mean. It had no no history or no footprint for people to research, so it was just people. The folks that work you know, popping on would taking a chance shout out to dof Lungern and send back who else.
Speaker 2: Was on that first season? But those are fun man.
Speaker 1: And then as it grew, some people were fans of it. Every want to come up, and I think some people still didn't you know, know about it. I can't speak for everybody's experience or due diligence on that, of course, of course, but if some people definitely surprised and like, whoa what is happening? People? You know, uh, like are you there?
Speaker 3: You're you're there for the TI episode, right, Yeah, okay, So what happens when it's cut?
Speaker 1: You know, I want to say the TI episode that Dick popped up through the table.
Speaker 2: Sure, I know it was like some stuff from the.
Speaker 3: There was the floor, and then I think that he's talking about taking a bone pill and then a fucking dildo just shot up through the desk, And so I'm just wondering once it's over, how awkward is the like hey man, like or they're like, yo, fuck y'all.
Speaker 1: Like, I mean I saw him at other stuff after that, but yeah, I don't really. I just socialized too much.
Speaker 3: After Or was it like ever a point where like we didn't see a lot of the crazy shit like because people were really mad?
Speaker 1: Or did anybody ever get really mad? Because there was some wild got mad? Maybe one chick Cukee Lauren Conrad, Yeah, Laura Conrad, maybe Lufarrigo or something was upset. Yeah it didn't. It's uh, yeah it was.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 2: It's been a minute too, Like That's why I'm like trying to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like just the last full season I did was twenty fifteen.
Speaker 3: You know, they had like these versions of you after that like yeah, which was fucking hilarious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, uh he did.
Speaker 1: You know, they do good with story and just you know, having the clones and stuff like that. But for the final season, well not the final season, for my final season only work one day. That was in twenty nineteen. Uh, it's a it's a well, you know, well made show for editing the chaos.
Speaker 2: You know, the editors really.
Speaker 1: They kill it.
Speaker 3: No, it's all about the editing, editing doing it and they do really good at like cutting cuttings and just making you know, so it'll be stuff.
Speaker 1: Since I'm not in that edit everythings I forgot about sometimes and I'm watching. Oh I didn't expect y'all to do that. Uh yeah, some good times.
Speaker 3: Speaking of TI, Yeah, you guys are kind of reversing here, right, he's on rapper, Yeah, trying to get into comedy. Right, you're a comedian, perceived comedian. You've always done music, but you know you're a comedian getting into being in a hip hop artist. Yeah. What do you think about t I? Because I've seen him starting to like pop up and do like more open mics and stuff. I know he was kind of like in the beginning, there was a lot of these unsaid like comedian rules that he was breaking. I'm sure he didn't know about, but I know he's getting a lot of hell amongst the community of stand up snobs. But like, what do you think about Tip? And have you have you got to see him live at all?
Speaker 1: Having got to see him live, it's a tougher jump, man, you know what I mean, to take away the beats and those uh yeah those and then you also kind of while you're doing stand up, you're.
Speaker 3: Fighting against those memories in the crowd head, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: It's a tougher jump. And it's not because he's on stage.
Speaker 2: And they're like, what you know about that big ship, Papa? You could do it of you like that's you can do.
Speaker 1: Smashes, you know what I mean? That they remember. So it's a tougher you know, he's taking on a real it's challenging for any but that's the the musician two comedian role is way tougher, especially if you're like, let people do it, superstar.
Speaker 3: It's not like I was just like, you know, like a yeah, decently big rapper who toured. No, he's fucking t.
Speaker 1: I like, yeah, I mean he love. You know, he wanted to take the challenge. He really he enjoyed doing it and getting something out of it that maybe the music can't do. Right now, he's still doing music, but he enjoyed the stand up. So I think you're taking taking beats away. Man.
Speaker 2: It's tough.
Speaker 1: And so it's you know, he working at that shop and you have to make people laugh.
Speaker 3: They're not gonna laugh because they like your music, right, They're gonna laugh because it's a natural reaction to something. Yeah, they they that's the thing that's ship in here. You know, they might show up because they like your music, show up, they laugh.
Speaker 1: Right, It's a tougher it's a tougher role, man, stand up a tougher road. That's why I don't do it as much anymore, because it is just like i'd rather just you know, tell some stories over these beats that I like that I and then practice that shit fifty times before I even see people.
Speaker 3: You know, right, I was gonna say for you, like, how much of the music is kind of, you know, semi comedic where you're able to kind of like, hey, I might make this song because I know it's gonna be funny, and I know I can make a great music video to make people laugh because you played me some other shit where you were like borring the fuck out. Yeah, Like, so for you, is it like a because you're obviously a funny guy. You enjoy creating and you.
Speaker 1: Know, yeah, I was battling with that early on, like, oh can I do funny songs? Can I do? But then can I talk about this and be normal or whatever?
Speaker 3: It's just just do what feels right or what feels good conceptually, and just be honest and know it's it's honest parts. You know, these all different parts for years is a real part of me. And the song about you know, my upbringing in Chicago and high school and almost getting robbed.
Speaker 1: That's a real thing. So it's just being true to that and you know, performing it, rapping it with with clarity and confidence, and and writing it to the to the best of my ability, and you know, trusting it and all of that. So yeah, I don't you know some of the like on the single side right now, they're a little more playful Veneers and the next one out ways withinnis Emma. You know, after the album, I have more songs that are big, grounded. You know, and have elements of humor and some songs is borrowing out. So I'm just excited to you know, put together the full project. And uh, I don't even have a name yet. I was thinking about calling it Teetering on the Edge of Reality, Okay, but that's just that's a that's a placeholder. I'm not sure yet.
Speaker 3: Have you found out like, are you like trying to are you just doing it independently? Are you collaborating with a label like this independent? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Straight indie, straight indie, Yeah. District of Pocket, Venice, Venice, Yeah, district.
Speaker 3: They're a great distribution company, the distribute my homegow tweet shout out to tweet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know, they as some some good artist services over there. But yeah, just you know, want to do well put it out. I don't really have I think I think it's got some good records, man. So I'm just excited to put out that type of body of work and design to show around us around it and have these different experiences.
Speaker 3: You know, right, what are your thoughts on like, because I think when I want to say, when I first moved to la I moved out here the beginning of twenty seventeen and it felt like it was kind of like maybe the peak of like the com Many store being just like a crazy place to go to and like, yeah, just pay for a Tuesday ticket and just see who comes, Like I say, Chappelle there, I said. It's it's like, it feels like Joe Rogan moving to Austin and opening this comedy mothership, and it feels like a lot of that kind of energy has moved to Texas. Like have you got to go and check out his new club or I haven't been.
Speaker 1: To the to the club, but I hear that people having a good time and comedians get get paid well nice, nice facilities, well designed spot. What I've seen online about it, Uh yeah, it's it's it's dope that he got that spot. I haven't really been out doing comedy much in La Man. I really be at the music stuff in the studio. I haven't been popping up like that. But so, yeah, it's a different it's a super different time.
Speaker 3: It almost feels like nowadays right like if you're if you're back in the day, yeah, you would want to get into movies, you would want to get into having a sitcom as a comedian, Like nowadays you just gotta like you gotta kind of have a podcast.
Speaker 1: Podcast. I mean that's a big that's the you know kind of the mixtape.
Speaker 3: It's like the mixtape for comedy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like everybody you get, you drop the podcast. You get people excited. So then when you hit the road, they come and buy tickets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they get to see you in a you know, I mean, it's still a performance, but it's it's more toned down, more natural. You don't have to play for that laugh, So they get to know you more as a as a human being. So it's it's why a lot of the folks have found success because they and you're able to just do it. It's low cost. You do a bunch of you can do five a week. You be like, okay, I'm doing the sports. When I'm doing it, you could really really work it and let people see different different sides. The podcast game. It's got people playing really big buildings, man out here and selling a lot of tickets. It's, uh, it's a cool It's it's really cool to see. Yeah, it's pretty crazy. You'll see like like shout out to my guy Shoals.
Speaker 3: Like Shoals is like he was a brilliant idiot forever with Charlotte Man and the flagrant thing just goes crazy and he's like a brilliant comedian, great comed Yeah, you can to see him do like you know, some of the venues he's doing.
Speaker 1: It's just crazy. It's it's dope, man. People just people build it up. Man, We're all making this up. So it's just as you go, you know, and you know you make it up, and you keep making it up, and you know, hey, I'm doing here, I'm going here, y'all coming. You make you keep making it up and keep building. Man, it's just create a life.
Speaker 4: Dog.
Speaker 3: It's a I think I doesn't saying I think comedy is kind of like hip hop, Like when we talk about like the Goats, there's like eras like to me, like rock him might not have like for listening rock Hi's a bad example. But like if you go back to like maybe like run DMC right, like run DMC like started this ship. Yeah, run DMC musically or maybe even lyrically, might not necessarily be on the same level as Kendrick Lamore, but their significance to the cultures as greater or greater, you know what I mean. But on the comedy side, who would you say this era of comedy like? On the like let's say since you've been like super active, let's say the last fifteen to twenty years, like, who would you put on the mount rushmore? It is summertime if you're dealing with rectile dysfunction ed, if you will, Maybe you got stress at work, Maybe you're tired of looking at the same chick. Maybe you just need a little pep in your step. You need to get on that blue Choo. May You don't need to do anything, but it'd be nice to have the option to. So go to blue choo dot com right now, use the promo code Bootleg and get the first month supply of blue Choo for free.
Speaker 1: What is blue Choo?
Speaker 3: Well, blue Choo is a chewable gets delivered to your door in a discrete package, no doctor's appointments, no doctor's visits, and it has the same active ingredient as viagra and sialis. So we're talking about getting your dick hard here. In case that went over your head, you know it won't go over your head once you take it. Promise you that blue Cheo also is incredible because not only does it come in the Blue Chewable flavor with the same active ingredient as Vibrant Shouse, but it also has a Mint Chewable flavor, which is the same active ingredient as Levitra. All right, all this if you're questioning.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't want to spend no money on.
Speaker 1: Does this shit work? Look?
Speaker 3: Yes, it works, and you don't have to spend money if you use the promo code Bootleg at blue cheo dot com because it's gonna get delivered right to your house. They're gonna give you a month's supply for free. You just got to pay five dollars shipping. That's it. The Blue Choo's come into your house. No awkward doctor's appointments, no awkward doctor's visits. It's all online blue chew dot com. Think me later.
Speaker 1: What's up guys?
Speaker 3: Hey, if you are watching this and it's April twentieth, for twenty, I'm going to be hanging out at Hardin today. That's right. Put the flyer up rock, I'll be at Hardan hanging out all day today. The craziest, most just luxurious illist dispensary in the world, located right in Las Vegas, Nevada now Hardean Las Vegas. They are our family. They sponsor the podcast. I love those guys dearly.
Speaker 1: And when I.
Speaker 3: Say that it is the best place I've ever walked into to buy premium cannabis, I'm not lying. Best customer service, best bud tenders, best bud put in your King Palm, and uh just overall, man, just a great experience. So what y'all need to do is go follow him online, Harden Underscore Las Vegas, follow him on the Gram. We got a lot of dope stuff in the works. They actually just opened a fire podcast studio, so we're gonna be doing a lot of content in Vegas live from Hardean. They also just dropped a fucking tennis shoe with Fila. They got dope flight here man, premium cannabis, the best selection culture, sniff you walk in the man, listen they got I'm not even lying to y'all. Hardin has their own signature scent and it smells good. I keep a bottle of it in my car literally maybe twice a day. I spread it. Get that Harden with smells amazing. So look makes you go to Harden if you're in Vegas. Get in that Uber. Get in that cab. As soon as you touch down, say take me to Harden. The taxi drivers, the Uber drivers, they know exactly where it is because it's the hottest spot in Vegas. They gonna take you straight there. You're gonna tell them I sent you. They're gonna get you situated real nicely. All right, Harding underscore Las Vegas. Go show them some love. Go to hardin Las Vegas dot com. Gotta give a shout out to our OG's My Dog's at Odds Socks. Baby, they've been fucking with us from day one, and they've been dropping so many crazy dope new like socks. You know, first of all, can we talk about Beavis and butt heead They just dropped the Beavis and butthead socks and draws. Let's take a check some nice little peek at the Beavis.
Speaker 1: And butthead draw bro.
Speaker 3: Come on, man, they also just drop Coca Cola. We got Scarface, we got Reeses, we got the big fucking Labowski, so many dope socks, the most comfortable socks in the world, the most comfortable underwear in the world. And check this out right now you can get twenty percent off. That's twenty percent off at checkout at odd Socksofficial dot com using the promo code Bootleg, So go right now odd soxofficial dot com. My first of a suggestion would be get you a pair or a pack of the odd Socks basics to blacken the whites. Those are my go tos. And then you gotta fuck with some of these big Lebowski socks. And they just got coca cola. They got the scarface boys, Like, what are we talking about? Man? What are you waiting on? They are the most comfortable socks in the world. So if you're not wearing odd socks, you're just cheating yourself. You know what I mean, You're really cheating yourself.
Speaker 1: They got a fucking South Park.
Speaker 3: Come on, brih, what are we talking about? Go to odd Socksofficial dot com right now, use the promo code bootleg. Say twenty percent off at checkout on the most comfortable socks in the world, or don't and keep torturing yourself with those shitty socks you're wearing right now. Be a damn shame. Anyway, let's get back to the interview.
Speaker 4: Uh so I would say foot uh Dave Chappelle yeah, uh you put uh Patresa Neil, Oh, yeah, rest in peace.
Speaker 1: Uh let me put uh put. I don't know why this person. Uh let me see Chris Rott.
Speaker 4: Oh guess then, uh who's the fourth?
Speaker 1: Oh and then.
Speaker 2: D D let me see who's who's the fourth.
Speaker 1: Let's sen strictly off the last twenty the last twenty, the last twenty of stand up like stand up output. So you're telling them, okay, so that's two thousand and three til now one more slot, Dama pel Patresea O'Neill, Chris Rock, Tucker Carlson for the.
Speaker 3: Fourth, Tucker Carlson, My goodness.
Speaker 1: I like it.
Speaker 3: So this is gonna be something.
Speaker 1: We're gonna need you to sign that.
Speaker 3: We're gonna frame it. We're gonna put it right on the side, you know. Yeah, there there it is.
Speaker 1: There it is. Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know what's crazy is like Tucker Cross and Ship.
Speaker 1: It's like.
Speaker 3: I just remember back in the day, like John Stewart roasting him with his little fucking bow tie on, like I think he was on CEE it and then and like it's just he's a goof for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't even and I don't You don't have to tell me. I don't even know exactly what happened. I just know they were like Tucker Carlson's out. It's crazy because it happened the same day that John Lemon got fired. Okay, yeah I was. I was watching Roy Wood Jr. The Correspondence. He killed it all, Yeah, he killed it. But it was a few things I was just finding out from him from like, wait a minute, let me Yeah, I don't get the joke. Even the the nf T. The Clarence Thomas Joe was really funny. But I didn't know that that that situation was going on. It was just finding out a lot of news. He did his thing on there. He used.
Speaker 3: I want to say, did he U see the prank calls back he calls? That's how he started in ninety nine. I want to say, I had like a CD of his print calls. His prank calls were fucking epic. That's how he built his UH following initially out of It's out of Birmingham.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, Roy's dope man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Roy's super dope man for you, man, Like, uh, is there any of the up and coming artists ors current artists in hip hop that you get inspired by? I know you.
Speaker 1: We just had Cordy's manager here. You were in his video.
Speaker 3: Is there anybody who's like, you know, kind of in that era of music that you actually like because a lot of this ship is terrible.
Speaker 1: Uh, it's a lot of it's a lot of good stuff. There's a lot of good Stuff's a lot of good stuff out there. Yo. It's more on R and B. But I just heard it, uh the other day, you know, Jordan.
Speaker 3: Ward, I heard it. I've heard the name, I haven't.
Speaker 1: He has some good tracks, man, his album. One of them one of the songs popped up on my discovery and then I listened to the rest of the album. But it sounds good. Well for Lido, who's really dope producer produced a lot of it. Uh.
Speaker 2: Smino got a crazy flows fire.
Speaker 1: His flow was crazy, And I mean.
Speaker 3: It's who else is new or that? Trying to think of folks man Nomo's fire. Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's that like that flow. It's just one of those things.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know how that's happening. It's some people you like that's dope, but then it's some people I don't understand how that's happening right, Yeah, have.
Speaker 3: You uh take take me back as somebody who had high interest in comedy, high interest in music? How dope was it? Like? Was there uh when the double XL cover came out with Dave Chappelle Dead Press, I want to say Kanye was on there, Telemqual, he was on there. He did such a good job of bringing the two worlds together with the Chappelle shown. Just I just think of that whole and the block party, and I just it was amazing, like like for you, like how how how you know? Important was that as an up and coming comedian who's also obviously an artist, Like he did such a good job I think of it. I really feel like he successfully bridged like two eras of comedy and music together.
Speaker 1: Definitely. Man, it's just how he he brings people together, and with his shows and and and performances, it's been cool to to really watch. I snuck into a Chapelle show years back when I was in Chicago. I think it was four h five when he was doing stand up. Yeah, at the height of Chapelle show Congress Theater, and I ain't have money for a take, and I tried to and it was I was just started. I've tried to like go in and be like I'm a comedian. It like that doesn't No one cares, White cares, and so I just started looking around the building and just found an open door, got in and got in, and uh so it was did I was wild And then the you know, years later to do a lot of shows with him, It made it super surreal, like damn, I used to sneak in your ship. He's super cool too.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I got really high with him once. Uh it was actually a four Day's album release party. It was me, Dave Chappelle and uh the guy who played Steve Rkle, Julia Julil White. Yeah, and I was like, this is interur Like what is happening right now? Man? Someone told me as a twelve year old, I'd be in a fucking joint circle with Dave Chappelle and Steve. I had a Steve Vernkle toy as a kid, like the pull Did I do that? Like it's crazy? Man, life is made up? Man stuff happening. Yeah, when do you plan on putting out this this album?
Speaker 1: Man? July July? Targeting July twenty first, and then looking to do I'm doing sb's June fourteenth.
Speaker 3: Hey, that's a big deal for any up and coming to hip artists to do an SOB show.
Speaker 1: I'm hyped about it, man. Just to you know, I've I've performed there years back, ten years ago. Shit with Chance. Actually I did stand Up for a Chance twenty thirteen. Yeah, I just celebrated that birthday of that, So shout out the Chance. And so I'm yeah, I'm hyped to do the SOBS man as in headlining. Yeah, headlining, I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna do the you know, stand up and music set, so I do stand up at the beginning, special guests and stuff. And who's opening for you? A comedian or an artist. I think we'll have one comedian, one artist. May a couple of artists probably have. I got Highlay Supreme. It was dope singer. He produced one of my track knee Brace and this other track Paradox on my project, and so he's amazing performer. Actually he give me a little tips in the studio where he'll say, hey, you got a smile while you're recording. They can hear it. They can hear it through the mic. They can hear it through the mic. And so I'll do a take and if you sounded and that sometime if you're doing a take and then it'll sound flat, and then I'll I'll recut and and and smiling, it'll sound completely different than you're thinking. That.
Speaker 3: That's true. Yeah, that's somewhere. I mean, that's like the little ship like that. Yeah, you gotta kind of know from being in the studio so much.
Speaker 1: He'll he just he'll he'll stand in front of you be like hey, man, like doing warm up ship. And so it's always just dope to learn from folks. It's always something to to learn from and and improve as far as the apply studio and the show man. So yeah, it's gonna be and I'm I'm the show gonna be on on point.
Speaker 3: S OB's Wednesday, s OB's June fourteenth. You do anything in La, I'm gonna do something. I'm supposed to do the Moroccan. It might be in the fault when I'm in La. I don't have anything set, but I'll do something in La soon, probably around the album drop.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I always wonder, like with the you know, we always hear about like how it's a little harder to do certain jokes nowadays, cause pople get offended. Yeah, I think a lot of that's a little blown out of proportion. But you know, we are in a much more sensitive climate, a much more divisive climate, right do you think it's a lot harder for stand up comedians nowadays?
Speaker 1: I can't speak to it like for really in them, you know, because I'm not living it in the same way.
Speaker 3: Even like two or three years ago. Like you know, like I feel like it's just like people get I just I feel like people are all as much as they want to laugh, they also want to get offended.
Speaker 1: Nowadays, you gotta do your shit, man, you know what I mean. That ain't over really, you know, there's always as many people's If people offend it, there's gonna be other people that want that type of stuff. So you just worry about your show, where about who's there, and just right and perform to the best of your ability and instincts, and that's that's the gig.
Speaker 3: Were you doing any of the stuff in Ohio the pandemic, like those shows that Dave was doing.
Speaker 1: I did one?
Speaker 3: What was that like? Because he was kind of like the first guy still kind of like I've heard about it, Like you had to like get tested on the spot. It was outside, it was in the middle of nowhere. There was a lot of people taking flights to go o Hio to go to this show because it was almost like the only thing. Yeah, I gotta get to Ohio because I can go watch comedy, you.
Speaker 2: Know, like, yeah, I did it.
Speaker 1: It was before because I did a drive in tour, which I regret.
Speaker 2: How was that terrible?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was bad, but it was just you know, you wanted to do something. And then that first show, after that first show, I said, how many of these we got? What am I doing?
Speaker 2: And done it? Cancel the whole ship?
Speaker 1: Man? It was it was it was, you know, because the comedy. How many comedians were on tour with you?
Speaker 2: It was, uh, it was.
Speaker 1: It was my date. So I brought I brought a couple folks, I think. Yeah, I brought me one or two folks. And then I did a double bill with Thundercat at the at the in the Rose parking line. But it was just doing stand up in that setting. It just gotta be got to wait because you want you're waiting for the reaction and you stay in their cars or they stand sitting outside. But then that even it's not a typical outdoor getting anybody where everybody set. Yeah, so it's no vibe, I think. I mean, I'll hopefully never have to do something like that again, but I know how i'd approach it. Now, you want to you do that? And if I have to do stand up in that setting again, I would do it in tandem with somebody because then you you can bounce off of each other on stage, or I would be doing doing music, which yeah, it was with the Cleveland show.
Speaker 2: It was the first short the tour.
Speaker 1: It was by Interstate, So on stage, your eye line is Interstate, so it's trucks going and then so my right it's train tracks Jesus, and then the train got really.
Speaker 2: Active during my set. So it was just so much going. And it's my first.
Speaker 1: Uh, your first time doing stand up in a while, because first time doing stand up in a while, and I just, uh, I think maybe a day or two before I found out my daughter was gonna be born, but I did not want to talk about it there, and so that's really was on my mind. And then I got these other distries, so I wasn't really able to give an honest show or a focused show because I see a FedEx, you see trucks and rains keep on going. But then they were all in the car, so they got perfect audio of me just bitching about the train. So it's not it's not the same as when there's a Heckler or something that everybody this motherfucker's loud and you roast them in there. My experience and on stage was completely separated from the experience in the car, So it made it. It was a weird gig. Man, it was a weird gey I'll never forget it. But some of them got better over time. How many did you do? I think we did it, maybe six or seven.
Speaker 3: You can take the b. Kreisher guy. I think he did, Like I think he kind of like did that. Yeah, the whole time.
Speaker 1: Like it was just it's doable. I'm not saying it's definitely not. You know, it's it's and it's not you know we you know, it got better towards the end once we figured out figured out what this is the vibe, Okay, this is it, this is how I'm gonna feel.
Speaker 2: And I had this bit that we were doing.
Speaker 1: Since we're doing drivings, I make this character called carsh Mellow. It's a DJ character, same aesthetic as marsh Mellow, but only playing songs about driving, so cruising by uh, Smokey Robinson, all these drive slow. That's his whole playlist is made the costume for him, for the character and everything, and I'm thinking this is about go crazy at the first show and it was like, oh no, they never really fucking with Carshmello like that. We got I had a designer for this. She didn't.
Speaker 2: She didn't.
Speaker 1: She'd include a bunch of matchbox cars to a jumpsuit and had the whole fucking suit, costume everything. Yeah, and then it was like, okay, we have to we have to figure out how to introduce Carshmello better in these other cities, Like, okay, Carsmelow needs a hype man. I can't just be out there on his own ship.
Speaker 2: It it was, you know, it was experiment.
Speaker 1: It was fun. But those those gigs, man, they would definitely they were something yeah something though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So what was the Chappelle setting, like obviously during the pandemic because you said you only did one of them.
Speaker 1: Right, I did one of them, uh and that was right before though, So it was it was I remember.
Speaker 2: I specifically remember being backstage.
Speaker 1: And I hadn't been anywhere minute, especially not a show, and so I remember they had maybe some Jollie Ranchers or something some type, and I was like, oh yeah, dude, be snacks and ship down backstage. I forget, like I don't, I don't even remember anymore. Yeah, like, oh yeah, sometimes you do go backstage. And they got everyone's got access to the same bowl. So let me put this jolly rancher in.
Speaker 3: Some before I opened it.
Speaker 1: Uh, And so I had a good set man, but it was definitely I remember not being fully.
Speaker 2: Feeling fully socialized.
Speaker 3: Yet being such a weird time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, being in a room and kind of like, hey, what's up y'all? Nay, it was you know, it was it felt it felt off. It was a lot of little stuff you guys catch it. Yet from that time, Uh, I remember a couple months in, I was I was dropping off a Touro car that I was I was renting out here, and then uh, I was running late, but I wanted to I want to get it washed before I dropped it back off. And I was like, hey man, I'm running late. I gotta stop at the car wash. He was like He's like, no, I don't worry about it. And that's a nah doubt because because I hadn't had no nothing to do with so long. I'm like, you want to go to the car don't take this from You're not taking this errand from me, dog, I am, I'm going to the car wash. And then the car wash hits differently when you ain't been doing ship that's just a whole productionist. You know, the car started moving water. I was like, this ship is fire. The car wash after you've been in the crib on pandemic momument, the car wash hit like specially so late if you're.
Speaker 3: Dying the car wash if you really like, yeah, it's a trip, it's a man.
Speaker 1: It made me just appreciate it.
Speaker 3: I'm like, damn this car wash fire dog, And I mean, like, how do I what can I take away from.
Speaker 1: This car wash apply to my show.
Speaker 3: As somebody who has done skits on albums before and as a fan, you know, skits are a lost art form in hip hop, especially on albums. I don't hear skits ever, really, but are you gonna do any skits on the on your body of work? Are you kind of staying away from that because it may be expected.
Speaker 1: No, we have some.
Speaker 2: Necessarily skits.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have a couple of just different pieces of other interviews that I've heard, we got, you know, we're using some stuff as interluds from jam sessions. There's a little dope moments that I remember from jam sessions that might not you know, then I didn't develop into full songs ideas, but you know, taking thirty seconds from this thing, there's this fun moment and using some stuff like that. So I definitely a really trying to figure out how to make it cohesive and have a lot of dope hearts and and little little moments because I had some fun jams man where you know, That's what I like about creating music is that most of them I could kind of pinpoint, you know, exactly when what you know, what what else happened that day, sometimes with with when I made certain songs, and uh, and it's a time capsule for for that, so uh, you know, like really digging into the archives for a little bits and and and making it as.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be.
Speaker 1: It's it's gonna be a dope project because the production is already set to just need some little more, just some rite Fine tuning, Yeah, fine tuning. But the the it's I'm hype, man, I'm so hyped. Give me the run down. What's what albums have you done skits on?
Speaker 3: And for who?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: Open Mike Eagle, Static selector Little Dicky.
Speaker 1: Cool Kid. It's fucking love the cool Kids. Uh. I feel like I'm I feel like that's something else.
Speaker 2: I featured on Quelle, Chris and Jean Gray's project Rapping on their.
Speaker 1: Love Jean Gray, Jean Gray Really Dope, Quelly's Super Dope. Yeah. I think I feel like I'm forgetting something on the on the Uh were you on the Little Biggest Professional Rapper Shit? Yeah? Uh he was, Oh he was. There was a in twenty nineteen eighty eight Keys. He hit me up about doing a skit. He wanted me to kind of do the skits throughout the album, like the narrative art. And at the time I was starting to get into my rapper I just got my studio was kind of I said yeah, but then I didn't really. I didn't say yeah fully. I was just like yeah, yeah, yeah, And then he was asking and I was like, man, I don't really I feel like doing it, And I said, you know, I've been delaying it for a little while, I say, singing the music so I can get a feel for the for the whole thing, so I can know what I'm doing throughout. And he sent the tracks and then one of the tracks was him Anderson yay and an open.
Speaker 3: Verse, and you sent back the open verse with the verse, and I did my skits in there, and and I was.
Speaker 2: Like, I recorded this open verse. Uh just why not?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm like, you know, even if it never goes out, I got a track with Pack and Yay. You sent it back to him.
Speaker 1: I sent it back to him. Yeah, just because you never know, right, you never know. Yeah, I thought about leaking it, but I was like, you know what, No, I'm not gonna leak it. But it was just it felt it felt good to just do that. It man, have it, and then you can.
Speaker 3: Just listen to that for yourself. This is what I would sound like along some some legends.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't believe Yea is on the track with me of saying it was, uh, you.
Speaker 3: Know, that's a nice flex though, like you could just like for people who don't know a better, but.
Speaker 1: You never have.
Speaker 3: Yes, it was a label shiitting nowadays, with artificial intelligence, anybody could have a song. I just did you see the video of Timbalin being very excited about having an AI biggie verse on one of his.
Speaker 1: Beats, Hey, why didn't you just get a cappella something? And it was like.
Speaker 3: Big, He's like rapping about like pop, smoke and dog.
Speaker 2: It's fun, you know, it's fun to toy with stuff and fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is a weird time, but you can you can feel it though, even if it sounds dope.
Speaker 2: And was like, yeah, this is it, it doesn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you could feel, you still feel the AI is not quite you know, hope it never gets there, by the way, because then we're gonna be fucking fucked.
Speaker 2: No, it's always gonna be somebody.
Speaker 3: A lot of these movies arena started to come true.
Speaker 1: Well, here's the thing. Regular artists have haters. So the AI haters is gonna always flag ship all the time. Uh, but AI is a good out And excuse if if you put out a verse that'd.
Speaker 3: Be like, Yo, that wasn't even me.
Speaker 2: That wasn't me, Yo, what are you talking?
Speaker 3: I wouldn't but I wouldn't betray y'all like that, you know, I got bars or even like imagine like hault Cogan has another racist ass voicemail like.
Speaker 2: A that was AI.
Speaker 1: Not this time. Yeah, that's gonna you know, that's gonna happen.
Speaker 3: There's gonna be all kinds of like wild like yeah, they're just gonna be able to it isn't out to not get canceled. That's artificial intelligence AI.
Speaker 1: And then the AI is going that well you yeah, yes, it's gonna be it.
Speaker 3: It works both ways.
Speaker 2: It's weird times. You just gotta find piece.
Speaker 1: For sure. All Right, So album coming soon. July twenty first is my targeting date. July twenty first, is my Yeah, are you documenting any of this? I am okay because I feel like this is you know, this is definitely this also feels like it could be like a pretty good like FX show.
Speaker 2: I thought about, yeah about just like.
Speaker 3: Just like the struggles of Hannibal Bird's like becoming an up and coming artist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a couple of people pitch me on it. I've got a couple you know.
Speaker 3: Like a show that kind of mirrors the reality, like you know how like Louis had his show and yeah, you know Dave shows amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a little Dicky shows great, you like it? Yeah, man, he's this season well done. I was just watching the Jackson, Mississippi episode last night.
Speaker 3: Super behind on this. I've only seen the first two. I haven't had time to like hone in on I like to. I'm waiting for it to finish, and then I just watch them all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're doing When you see the vision somebody vision fully, you know, it's almost like it was like his playing the whole time, like you know, yeah, I mean the type of you know, his music was very story and deep. You know, the videos VI super detailed and everything, and he's a he's a you know, he got he got a lot of thoughts and he's able to put them. Did you the episode he had with Benny Blanco where they're like, did you watch that one? Yes?
Speaker 3: From season two where they're like best friends and they're hanging out all day. It's the most white people humor shit of all time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is like.
Speaker 3: Doing so much was like.
Speaker 1: They really had to film that.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, well so album hopefully you say July right, the lot twenty first is the the that's the date, that's the day. But you know how albums work, But July twenty first, because I yeah, I got a hold on a venue for New York another.
Speaker 1: So that's for that lot twenty first. That's an exclusive man.
Speaker 3: July twenty first, albums coming. We have an album title that's kind of a placeholder.
Speaker 1: Placeholder, that's one of them teetering on the edge of reality. Yes, that's it's you know, it's decent. I Lift Waits is the next single. I lift Waits next single? Do you lift Waits? No, it's cap. This is all cap cap. I mean Waits. Waits is a metaphor for whatever you know. Waits is not. No man, I just heard that sample of I heard I've listened to one of those Uh we're watching the micd up NFL and uh it was it was they're saying hell of funny shit. But it was Joe Hayden from the Steelers, and he's the way he said that shit, I lift Waits.
Speaker 2: And he just cut you know, so she just cuts.
Speaker 1: Through in a way. And it was he's a cornerback, right, and he is a cornerback. And so we clipped that just you know, just put that in the bank.
Speaker 3: And then do you have to give Joe Hayden any pub Probably yeah, it's fair. We should probably cut this because the NFL is gonna come for you. Bro.
Speaker 1: You think the NFL.
Speaker 3: Oh, the NFL is the worst. Okay, they're gonna want their cut. It's probably an NFL films thing. Rh it's probably NFL films.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, they don't play.
Speaker 3: You can't even say super Bowl out loud on the radio during Super Bowl season. You have to say the Big Game or they'll suit you.
Speaker 1: It's pretty crazy, fucking I'm ready to fight?
Speaker 3: Are you a bearrass Man?
Speaker 2: I don't really put too much steak in football like that.
Speaker 1: Basketball. Basketball is where I put for some of my energy.
Speaker 3: Football is just yeah. So being from Chicago, you're spoiled growing up. You have Michael Jordan, you got the house. Then there's like the dark age where you get Art Test and Jamal Crawford and Eddie Curry and Tyson Chandler, and then then there's the spike of Derreck Rose. Right now, the team's just kind of like there's good players, good names.
Speaker 2: Solid, Yeah, purgatory a little bit.
Speaker 3: But it feels like there's just like no endgame. Right So it's like, do you'd like root for players at that point?
Speaker 2: Well, they the the Lonzo.
Speaker 3: Because they had like last year, they had that run where they were the one scene and they looked great. Caruso and yeah, yeah, so Lonzo was a big part of that love stretching the floor and distributed.
Speaker 1: So got to get rid of Ucevic. Yeah, you'll see, you know, I don't.
Speaker 3: And then I love Damar Damar. I feel like, if you're going to pick between Damar and Levine, you gotta send Levine off.
Speaker 1: Man, he was making too much money, You'll see.
Speaker 3: Man. You root for players though, if the Bulls suck, because I'm a Suns fan and we've sucked for so long that I just started.
Speaker 1: I just root for Lebron. Right now we're good again, so I you know, it's root for good basketball, you know, just if I am watching the game, just some good because now and even especially during the regular season, watching water play out, but doing the regular season, the game is the game after a while, and so now it's it's more interesting to watch the podcasts of the players and get the let me see what Draymond saying. Those stories are just hearing, you know, play yeah, JJ Redick breakdown or JJ's podcast is fine, or even you know, the thinking basketball, those breakdowns. So here, I'm enjoying that that part of it, just hearing, you know, the stories around it. I'm enjoying the playoffs though too. And it's it's kind of is, well, I don't you can't really, I don't even I don't know who's gonna take it. Nobody knows. Yeah, it's up in there, and that's very rare, usually very y.
Speaker 3: You'll be like it's the Warriors or the Warriors room basketball for a long time, shout.
Speaker 1: Out to them. So it's you know, it's you know, sports man. People in his name enjoy it. It's wild to think about July twenty first album, July twenty first album as still so OB's Day, so OB's June fourteenth. Okay, yeah, put them up. Yeah, but ticket's gonna be seven dollars and twenty one cents.
Speaker 2: We're gonna do it. Yeah, this album album, Yo, change that album.
Speaker 1: I know. Yeah, I'm gonna get it done at the very least of epee. We shipping, we shipping, Yeah, we shipping something I got, you know, but no, no, we're gonna get it done. We're gonna get it done over the next few weeks. Get the vocals done. It's in a good it's in a good space. It's uh excited to tour man and and and just get moving dog. Thank you for having me is excited.
Speaker 3: I was like, hell, yeah, this is great. I'm like, we gotta have hand man. Yeah yeah, I'm excited for the for the music man. Thank you, appreciate you pulling up brother. Yes, Sir Hanama burse