Speaker 1: Cool Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to it could happen here a podcast about it, which, in this week's case is the Consumer Electronics Show is happening here, and yeah, we're here to talk about things falling apart, and again, in this case that's the tech industry, because the story this CES, as it has been for the last several cees, is is that the continuing degradation of big tech as it seeks more places to get money from while providing less and less utility to the people that it needs to give it money. And every CEES at some point I find myself face to face with something that makes me say I've now seen the silliest thing I've ever seen. And this year that experience happened for the first time within thirty minutes of the first half day. And I'm going to talk about that and show some videos to my panelists here, which of course are the great ed Zeitron, It's me, I'm here, the pretty good Garrison Davis.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, all right, all right, Boddy them.
Speaker 2: And the super enumerate supernumerary. I'm sorry I messed up the word I was using as a superlative to praise you. I'll take you at Longways, So Junior, thanks Ed, thank you so much for joining us. Everybody, are you ready to see some of the dumbest AI generated videos.
Speaker 4: Were few me with more pleasure.
Speaker 2: Excellent, excellent.
Speaker 1: Nothing fills me with pleasure.
Speaker 2: The first panel I sat down today with at ten am in the goddamn morning Jesus, was the Hollywood Trajectory Generative AI Timeline twenty twenty five to twenty thirty.
Speaker 3: Oh boy, I am fascinated for what they think will happen at twenty thirty.
Speaker 2: Everything's just gonna get better, Garrison. This panel featured a number of luminary thinkers, including Mary Hamilton, a managing director at a Censure, who announced her company's three billion dollar investment in AI by dropping this gin I have a digital twin.
Speaker 5: And she's constantly evolving and how she gets used and what she says, and.
Speaker 3: There's big educations around that. I think this is a really exciting space to.
Speaker 4: Do that, like that she just stole Hurley Herndon's thing.
Speaker 5: But Okay, they probably said that to a doctor.
Speaker 2: They think I had a concussion.
Speaker 3: Sure what this person needs like psychological.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you should be allowed to drive, you need you need a Bryan kid.
Speaker 6: Okay, let's get you.
Speaker 1: Let's get you, sit down, and.
Speaker 2: We're taking the phone away from you. Now. I think this is very silly because again I think it. Yeah, it's just a fundamental mismatch in what people might want from an AI agent and like the way in which they get talked about.
Speaker 1: But also they use digital twin, which is ce men to prise software ship.
Speaker 6: Yeah, oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's it's I'm excited to go see some digital twin technology that I'm sure we'll make a cheap at switching.
Speaker 3: This was this is the first thing I reported on at CES was there was the digital twin. Like back in like twenty twenty two, twenty one, there was like one single company and all of c Yes, I was promising like a digital twin, and now it's like every other company. Ye.
Speaker 6: It means so many different things.
Speaker 5: It means literally a digital representation of anything. It doesn't even mean an II agent. The fact that they're using it in the wrong place is very annoying to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I keep saying like they can now make an AI chatbot trained off of your social media presence. That's eighty five percent accurate.
Speaker 7: As all twins are and I want to know they can't.
Speaker 2: But then you talk to the average person at CEES or the average panelist on this particular panel, I'm like, yes, I do believe. In fact, everyone on that panel you could accurately, you could accurately get eighty five percent of their personality with the chatbot for a bit, maybe a lot higher improvement. Yeah, yeah, so I will say, like, that was silly. That's not the silliest thing I saw. The silliest thing I saw came courtesy of another panelist, Jason Zada, founder of Secret Level and COO of the company. The videos that Jason came to CEES to brag about were a collection of the laziest AI slop ever to stain him and eyeballs. His most recent big success that you could just see radiating off of him how proud he was of this was Coca Cola's annual Christmas ad, which last year was produced for the first time entirely with AI. And I'm just gonna if you haven't seen this, who hears seen Coca Cola's AIS?
Speaker 3: I guess yeah, I've seen pictures. I think I may have watched the one.
Speaker 8: Okay, well, let's let's let a few times the amounts.
Speaker 2: We're gonna play. There's three different versions of this, so why we're just gonna I.
Speaker 5: Mean, that's that's what it's about out Oh my god. If there's three different versions that that that's just they saved the pro Everyone is the same length of show.
Speaker 2: Can you believe this song's AI generated? I can't believe the cow Could they teach a computer to write the lyrics? Holidays are?
Speaker 5: I just can't believe we finally have the technology to have three trucks driving somewhere and.
Speaker 2: Wagging its tail with dead eye. It's all these too horrible girls, trucks with Coca cola and them driving down not a street, raccoons.
Speaker 5: Why is there a satellite O They're gonna drop the ion can on them, the pola bes.
Speaker 2: It's all clearly AI. It's all glowing like the city shots of like snow colored villages with that, as we're going to see in later videos. A. I loves putting smoke and random fires where there should not be smoking. Random fire, Chris.
Speaker 3: Kringle, that's such a bad omen for four more years of a trunk presidence.
Speaker 2: It's a bleak we have like.
Speaker 3: Even uglier Thomas Kincaid esque artwork. That's all.
Speaker 2: Every frame looks like a tomly animated.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like they just generated a Thomas Kincaid like frame and then like badly animated.
Speaker 5: And the way that they move is very weird, like it looks kind of right, but kind of right, looks very strange.
Speaker 2: He does that all of the scenes because it's like showing you a bunch of you see like a polar bear. Obviously it's a Coca Cola Christmas ad. You see like a fucking reindeer, you see squirrels, you see a dog. But it always is like this very ai shot where it just pans across the animal and it's like glowing and kind of glossy and steering too much.
Speaker 5: But they're not going anywhere with the movement. It's just like they are doing something and that's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You think in ten years they're still gonna have these commercials?
Speaker 6: No, No, because where's the snow.
Speaker 1: It's just a polar bez walking around like.
Speaker 2: System one, which tests emotional responses to ads, claims that the initial response to their Christmas ad was overwhelmingly positive.
Speaker 3: I don't think they're lying about that. I think if you walk up to someone like randomly on the street and showed them this, I think they'd be like, oh, yeah, it looks fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: No one's watching a Coca coat the right and being like, yeah, wow, I've never had one of these before.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's not it's never a new experience.
Speaker 4: Not yet. We need an ad man.
Speaker 6: You need an adman for the coke holdouts.
Speaker 4: We need an ai Don Draper.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, do not give them ideas.
Speaker 2: What if a.
Speaker 4: Company lost five billion dollars, It's just an ad that doesn't work. Instead of going to the movies like Don Draper does throughout all.
Speaker 7: Of Mad Man, it just doesn't work and respond to any of your queries.
Speaker 2: Just Don Draper spending hours watching that looping Christmas video.
Speaker 1: Staring into nothing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So there was like an immediate, pretty immediate backlash to this, like all of the responses, if you like, go to any of like where these things live on YouTube. It's just people shitting on them, which he did acknowledge Jason by saying the video was very debated.
Speaker 6: Yes, classic thing with commercials.
Speaker 3: Debating commercials, many things they're very debated these days.
Speaker 2: A lot of people are saying and then He showed us next an AI generated video The Heist, which was entirely made by a text script that itself was mostly written by chatch Ept And here's how Jason describes the workflow for what you're about to see. It took thousands of generations to get the final film that. I'm absolutely blown away by the quality, the consistency, and adherence to the original prompt when I described gritty New York City in the eighties, it delivered in spades, consistently. Well, this is not perfect, it is hands down the best video generation model out there by a long shot. Additionally, it's important no VFX, no cleanup, no color correction has been added. Everything is straight out of VO two Google Deep Mind. So what is the model VO two Google deep Mind? I think is what he's saying.
Speaker 1: It is one.
Speaker 5: By the way, I'm sure what you're about to show me looks like a dog's awsome.
Speaker 2: It looks like, yeah, New York, exactly like New York at Juliani right before he came in clean it. Uh huh.
Speaker 3: So this is like the competitor to SORA. I guess that is the other big like video generation knew I don't.
Speaker 2: Buy for a and I'm not impressed, but we'll see what you guys think. I don't want to poison your roots.
Speaker 6: I wouldn't. Oh god, okay, there.
Speaker 3: Is fire in this.
Speaker 2: The last time you're going to see the sack full of money. It does not show out again.
Speaker 3: It's a lot of a lot of fires, a lot of random fire and.
Speaker 6: Go backwards when they're driving forwards, wheel.
Speaker 2: Again, another straight fire.
Speaker 6: I would love to do freeze frames on this.
Speaker 2: Actually it's in gossip. Why is there so many fires? Just all right, let's take a shot every time, Oh my god, and also take a shut every time. He is wearing different clothing and has a clearly different face.
Speaker 3: The car has changed.
Speaker 2: Column he's praising the consistency and it is a he is dressed completely differently every scene.
Speaker 3: His jacket has has has changed you since the last one? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and again the cop car the cars. When it shows the cars dragging across the screen, they're kind of doing the same thing usually that the animals do in the coke.
Speaker 4: And minimal motion at the best.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I also love this. Can you believe this music?
Speaker 5: You also want to just say when it swivet hit that thing he was driving like half a mile on it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's how I run.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look an obviously different man.
Speaker 6: That's the way he runs. Was like he had his arms out.
Speaker 2: Two cops three Actually, look they run.
Speaker 3: Running is very funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is different.
Speaker 6: Okay, what is going on with his feet.
Speaker 3: And different levels of facial hair, different different jackets, he's wearing different colors jackets, vague definiteness in this just move?
Speaker 6: What the fuck is going on?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I got me directed by Jason's got in big flaming words because again, the AI only knows how to put random fires on.
Speaker 5: Wow, I'm so glad that we have the technology that a thing where a guy gets chased by the police.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we couldn't. This would have been impossible before.
Speaker 5: Because he runs at anywhere from one to one hundred miles an hour.
Speaker 3: I assume they just trained they like this was specifically like pulling on like Scorsese movies a lot.
Speaker 5: I just want to know about these thousands of generations of script because.
Speaker 3: That is interesting.
Speaker 5: I am very curious because I just don't believe that for did he just uh read there?
Speaker 7: Yeah no, that's the opening crawl to just like some uh generated star Wars.
Speaker 3: It seems like shot by shot, right, each each shot is going to require a lot of like iterations. The script it's just yeah, I mean again like it unpacking. What he actually is saying is unclear because I.
Speaker 2: Went to the YouTube video for this and the first five or four comments are looks like we found the new king of video. Jesus Christ, give it a rest close change in every shot. Four to six year old boys, you're gonna love it and still acts character and vehicle consistency. But we're getting close, which.
Speaker 3: Is which is the.
Speaker 2: By thirty you're going to make a man wear the same clothes for an entire video.
Speaker 5: Oh this is This has happened before with SRA when they put Sora out there, like check out airhead on your man God, and the balloon changes every single shot.
Speaker 6: It's a different size and color each time.
Speaker 1: There are just people running in the background.
Speaker 6: Sometimes and then they.
Speaker 5: Made a new one. You're like, oh, this is gonna be good. It was worse and less consistent, and this is what they think of us. They're like, these pigs will slop up anything.
Speaker 2: And you can't expect technology to do something as complicated as dress a man in clothing and have him stay in that same clothing over multiple scenes. Hollywood never figured it out so cool.
Speaker 1: That this costs like so much money as well just burning.
Speaker 6: There was some fucking.
Speaker 1: GPU melting and in a data enter in Arizona.
Speaker 7: The strain Carol it is also there's gonna be like thirty forty companies trying to recreate the same misshapen wheel, you know, for the Max five to.
Speaker 5: Also the little pigs that watch Star Wars, including myself, we'll notice every minor inconsistency. Do you think that they're gonna tolerate Luke Skywalker's and Watteau and all.
Speaker 7: Their favorite characters they're gonna Do you think that they're gonna be happy office with a cyber truck?
Speaker 6: That's gonna be a cyber truck situation?
Speaker 2: You I think the issues are twofold, which is like number one. In order to make this shiit sell to the people who watch movies, you have to dramatically reduce the average intelligence of people watching movies. You have to give everyone brain damage, which except they are working in Giant And the other thing is the models have to get much better. And Jason made a point that like, look every time people would like talk about the criticism and be like, look, this is the worst it's gonna look, guys, And I was just looking into it. GPT four took fifty times as many resources in like fifty times as much energy to train as GPT three did. So this is the These are the kind of like exponential increases that we're looking at. So like, if it took them so many billions of dollars of investment to get to the point where they can make this shitty video, to make anything close to watchable, you're talking about again just like lighting on fire, billions of dollars to do what to make a scene that you could already get like a twenty six year old dude who grew up watching fucking Quentin Tarantino movies and taking cocaine, and you can give him sixty thousand dollars and he'll film that shit for you with an old car, Like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you could, you could even like animate it.
Speaker 7: M I mean, look, you give me a PS four and somebody's grandmother and I will make them think that they're watching that.
Speaker 4: No, seriously, seriously, dott six.
Speaker 5: But also this I just want to read out some of the fucking people that use this model. We started working with creatives like Donald Glover, who I said was washed ten years ago, fucking sick of people.
Speaker 4: And My Love was a was a good album.
Speaker 6: America is an objectively bad song. It's a bad song with a great video. Yeah, I thought he's like kind of barn and Bee.
Speaker 5: Stuff's very interesting anyway, moving by, and of course the week in it.
Speaker 6: Sorry weekend and some.
Speaker 5: Great I'll work with creators on VO one in form the development of VO two, and we look forward to working with trusted testers and creators to get feedback on this new model.
Speaker 1: How long are you gonna get fucking feedback?
Speaker 6: It stinks.
Speaker 2: We've got some feedback from Yeah, I got thoughts.
Speaker 3: Hopefully those people are are just getting paid to tell them words and be like yeah, sure, I'll take your money, but if they could be.
Speaker 2: Twenty million dollars, I'm flipping the hope like just yeah, no, I will turn on a dime. Speaking of turning on a dime for money, here's the ads. Ah, we're back. So the next video that our friend I now feel he is like a brother to me Jason puts On was of an AI generated fictional elderly rock star talking about death.
Speaker 3: Oh I'm excited.
Speaker 2: You have to do this plastic and incapable of dynamic expression as he guzzles randomly from bottles of liquor that flash in and out of existence. Sometimes he lies on his back in empty streets while talking about all of the all of the cgi featureless women that he has loved in his exciting life. Other Times he plays stadium shows while obvious GPT written dialogue about aging and death drones on. When the video ends, everybody in the room claps, And as you watch this, I need to imagine seeing the thing that I'm about to show you all and a room with like two hundred people in it, all clapping enthusiastically. I don't think I did. I did it. I did. I said, come the fuck on as loud as I could.
Speaker 6: Skywalk up.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So here's fade out and an old man. Ye, it looks a little bit like George car It's the.
Speaker 9: End O three, Like the world's just god damn big, and you're just to go passing through them.
Speaker 3: M what's he doing?
Speaker 2: Carried my heart concerts?
Speaker 6: Granddad, calm down, scattered.
Speaker 5: I love these slash cuts, said the fast cuts, these false cuts because the next frame was unusable.
Speaker 2: Yes actually yes, like that he drank and the bottle changed in his hand. You could see it starting to happen. What is just anonymous?
Speaker 4: Women destroyed it just in a beautiful music.
Speaker 2: Listen to that lived it to the could you believe generated by firing a candle?
Speaker 3: I like?
Speaker 8: Also, the old man does look very different each time, very different old man.
Speaker 3: That's a different that's different guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the Emperor from the first Gladiator.
Speaker 9: Shows and trotting running away from this the way this model generates running.
Speaker 2: Die There he is drinking on the fire, old rock star, drinking in front of a flame ming house the a I loves burning build What.
Speaker 3: Is this voice? I would love to track his tattoos from Praying for three.
Speaker 5: We'll say he's about to eat the micro different, I've done it, yum.
Speaker 2: Now he's sleeping in a in a broken Mustang, the classic Ferrari Mustang mustangs in like a pool in front of a mansion. But he clearly isn't questioned to it. The car is hovering slightly over the pool like I love.
Speaker 6: This, I love this.
Speaker 2: I love him, And he tells us, He tells us during this as if we're supposed to be impressed that chatchypt wrote seventy five percent of that's.
Speaker 3: Hell, I can't believe that.
Speaker 10: As a bartender, I regret walking into the room to see if people want drinks.
Speaker 6: This is atender. I apologize. I apologize that you had to hear a drink.
Speaker 3: I also would like, actually, can I have a drink too?
Speaker 6: We are in the that's.
Speaker 5: Off line, see yes, sweet, and we're all drinking because I just want to say I'm fucking disassociating off that. I'm so fucking saying every a year of doing this nonsense. And I look at these chit eaters and they show us that and they like slop down the slop Oh my.
Speaker 2: God, it's it's it's hitting the easiest.
Speaker 1: Things to find an old man that drinks.
Speaker 2: For an idea of like how real this company is. Obviously they were one of the companies. They were not the only people who made that Coca Cola ad. They were one of like three or four companies.
Speaker 3: It takes four companies take companies to make that.
Speaker 2: They have six hundred and twenty two followers on Twitter, Hell yes or not? Twitter, YouTube and YouTube on YouTube on Youtube't I post this karaoke song and this this fade out is their or Sorry The Heist is their most successful video with fifty six thousand views. Fade Out, which we just watched, has less than five thousand views. They're not ready, so they're not They're not quite.
Speaker 3: It's only going to get better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's only going to get better.
Speaker 4: That's gonna get better.
Speaker 3: Previously, things will only get round floor.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a small price of one billion dollars.
Speaker 1: This is like one hundred thousand dollars to compute.
Speaker 4: Yeah, imagine how good it would be.
Speaker 3: Much of a billion will only get worth more.
Speaker 2: I mean, I get now, Garrison, I do think you should invest all of your salary.
Speaker 6: I just did a sixteenth minute about talking about this.
Speaker 5: I think I would rather hook To has a more obvious use case than this shit. Hey, do you want to spend way more money to get something way worse? I actually can't get over the seventy five percent check GPTWO, Like that should be twenty No, it should be theoretically it should be it should be one hundred.
Speaker 3: Should be one hundred percent, yeah, not seventy.
Speaker 5: Which means that a quarter a quarter of it was just fucking unusable.
Speaker 3: No. Absolutely, they're generating like individual shots that they're like stitching together and like who knows how how long it takes to like get like the prompt right for that shot to work.
Speaker 2: However long it takes. It was too long because it looks like, shit, we're gonna watch a video I haven't seen yet, or at least of course, because it's five minutes, so we're not watching all this.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: It's fifty views and came out a week ago. It's called minimonade.
Speaker 3: What it's a word?
Speaker 5: Now it's like when you find your cat's vomited on the floor again.
Speaker 2: So first we see a diner called Manimonade that appears to be both on the fire light runner, Yeah, light runner.
Speaker 5: Oh god.
Speaker 2: When an old lady Rice is up out of a pile of ashes.
Speaker 6: That's how mouths work.
Speaker 3: Where am I.
Speaker 2: Great? AI voice?
Speaker 6: What is this phantasmicgoria? All voice acting?
Speaker 2: It's me, Harrison Ford?
Speaker 1: What the fuck is going on?
Speaker 2: What I think? This is death? This old lady's dead. That's how I now. She's tripping on tomatoes. The decaying sandy diner that exploded has turned into a lively fifties diner.
Speaker 5: Off Dennis Villain News.
Speaker 4: This is second get a Diner.
Speaker 2: I yeah, ye know. There's a little Indian book he is. He is the help though. Yeah, m hm.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's not.
Speaker 2: The little kid just fell down, and the way it shows falling is that he just sort of deflays and he's up again and he's staring at well, that's terrible. We don't need to watch it anymore of that. No one, no one, no one want to watch watch.
Speaker 6: This and have a positive reaction.
Speaker 1: They should, they should keep you in a holding cell.
Speaker 2: Ye, I'm deeply unhappy at the time we already spent watching.
Speaker 6: Yeah, like, we don't know what you're gonna do next.
Speaker 4: We're building a facility for you.
Speaker 2: The Phreeze reality distortion field gets used a lot when we talk about text, but I really tasted it in that room because all anyone on stage could talk about is how good it looks. In every one of these videos, people are like clapping, They're like, wow, this is amazing.
Speaker 4: What do you think They think? It looks good?
Speaker 6: It looks better than an Xbox.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And the idea is you talk to fing In and now a thing came out and that's magical.
Speaker 7: So by virtue of not having humans work on it, it's so it's better than you'd have Yeah, Okay.
Speaker 2: There was a moment after this where Jason like joked about how like I don't like obviously I don't want to replace actors yet yeah, yeah, and another Panels was like, I think we're gonna have to make some decision. You have to see how some decisions go as to fair use, because obviously this is cribbing from a bunch of fucking Scorsese like kind of looked like yeah, and Thomas Can and.
Speaker 3: Later On twenty four nine and Denny Villanu in general, like all of his films have been like a massive source for for these emotion and still generations, so much so that like I think like Later On twenty forty nine is like one of the easiest films to like like replicate film stills almost exactly for based on like how like how like load bearing that film has been for a whole bunch of these model that could be due to a number of factors.
Speaker 2: Now, I know what you're wondering, how soon until we can get a full ninety minute movie that looks like this?
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm guessing days away.
Speaker 2: No, no, Jason said, probably not at least for a decade or so.
Speaker 3: Really, Okay, that's interesting.
Speaker 6: I don't want to wait that long.
Speaker 2: What a worthwhile endeffort?
Speaker 3: Because he could have said shorter, that actually is interesting.
Speaker 8: He could have said anything those um I think it is like he did have to spend probably hundreds of hours of his precious one human life stitching those those.
Speaker 2: Turts together, and he's like, it's nowhere near ready. There's no way it could make a nice he's giving himself a yeah.
Speaker 10: Because I've only really seen one interesting genitive video thing. But it wasn't a generative video thing. It was they filmed, uh, Brian, you know, filmed a documentary and they created, you know, some backhand software so that they would be able to do cut of existing footage and try to total on parts of the documentary. But I never ever see anything interested in like constructing narratives or it's a like you can't teasing other aspects of the creative process. It's only let's try to replace, right, Let's try to so you.
Speaker 6: Can't do narrative with it.
Speaker 3: And that's the thing.
Speaker 2: If if I'd sat down there, because I was sitting I said this. I was sitting next to a guy from usc who was one of the only people in the room who was like similarly critical to me of what we were seeing on stage. It was like, look if they had come down and been like, look, this is how we can plug a script in and it can create a storyboard and you can like kind of see like a crude CGI animation of how the shots will look, and that can help you like plan out, like like that's legitimately useful. That's the thing that adds value and can cut costs in a meaningful way to like the production of good TV and movies. But that's not as sexy as like I'm and they were all talking. There was this this like very weird moment where one of the panels Leslie Shannon, who's head of innovation for Nochio, a company that used to make phones and now makes panelists who pretend to be entertained by awkward.
Speaker 3: They also like make cameras and.
Speaker 2: They make a lot of stuff. I was just shitting on Nokia. She's like, can we use neuroscience to see how people are reacting to AI generated videos and then adjust the ending to be like, you know, let's make this resonation of a night. That way, we're helping the creative. And I was like, are you out of your fucking mind?
Speaker 6: We attach electrodes to people skulls?
Speaker 2: I would I would have supported electrodes in their skulls. Yes, Jesus Christ, we should do the monkeyin thing.
Speaker 4: Perhaps a pair of calipers, some skulls.
Speaker 2: I am fascinating the skull shapes of that fucking so to.
Speaker 5: Say that is there's so many things that you've said that just they wouldn't survive at that position.
Speaker 2: Speaking of things that wouldn't survive a deposition the sponsors to this podcast. Okay, so that first panel was a real moment for me. I went through a couple of more, one of which was on like advertising and AI and was mostly mostly pretty boring. The third panel I went through, though, was called AI Cinematics, Spatial and XR and I just want to actually play you guys, you'll have to cluster around.
Speaker 5: I would actually believe that was generated with chat GPT from a GPT two point zero.
Speaker 2: So let's start with this one.
Speaker 3: AI will be more impactful than the Internet.
Speaker 2: Maybe, Yes, it's a trick question because it is the Internet.
Speaker 1: That was that was the Internet, so not although it can wrong without the Internet.
Speaker 3: So I'm like, oh, yeah, there you go.
Speaker 2: All right, what's what when you impact AI?
Speaker 3: AI is going to resolve in astronomical job losses?
Speaker 4: Uh, there will be an evolution of job long.
Speaker 2: Next, that was the scene I wanted you to hear. They're like, we don't want to say it out loud, and then everyone chuckles.
Speaker 1: These people are too fucking smug.
Speaker 5: Yeah, these people sound too confident and too chummy and too happy to say things about this.
Speaker 6: That's not good.
Speaker 1: I don't a lot of these people laughing about people losing jobs.
Speaker 2: No, I shouldn't have jobs.
Speaker 6: That's that's a good place to stop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't like that either. And the people you're hearing from. Let me let me tell you who's in this fucking panel who was just laughing about, like, well, there will be a un evolution law.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the motherfuckers who were all that panel laughing about people losing their jobs. Ted Shillowitz literally his name is Shilowitz, futurist at Cinemersion, Inc.
Speaker 3: That's like a jame.
Speaker 2: Rebecca Barkin, co founder and CEO laman O One, Aaron Luber Director Partnerships at Google IPG Media Lab, Mayla Emir Sadegi, Principal program Manager at Engineering Microsoft, and Katie Henson, s VP post Production as Fear Studios. So those are the people.
Speaker 3: Who are sore, sad, all laughing and like it's like generative AI is like good at like one thing creatively, it's good at like streamlining VFX, like workflow to the workflow of of how to do like it is it is like there's aspect. Famously, the only useful thing it's been used for is making people's eyes blue in Dune Part two.
Speaker 2: It's not one hundred billion dollars.
Speaker 3: And like it is applicable for like changing objects into other objects on screen. It can produce really like kind of odd like uncanny effects that could be utilized by a team of human artists. Really well, what it can't do is generate a short film that is in any way compelling. Is well that is anyway compelling as a piece of art, okay, And the fact that they're like laughing at how much how much of.
Speaker 5: Lost enough jobs they have not that had structures full to the beauty of the flame, right.
Speaker 2: Although the AI keeps keeps foreboding coming for them.
Speaker 4: It wants something fames.
Speaker 2: I'm going to end on a happy note because the last panel I went to was actually really cool. It was AI and the Crisis of Creative Rights, Deep Fakes, ethics and the Law, and it featured the first intelligent person that I've seen at CEES this year, Moya McTeer, who is a folklorist and senior advisor at the Human Artistry Campaign. It also featured Duncan Crabtree Ireland, who's the national executive director and chief negotiator of sag Aftra. There we go, There we go, and this was no bullshit. It was talking about all of the different law suits that are going on right now, all of the litigation around AI, and like the actual strategy for litigating, and like there was a couple of points where like Duncan was like a lot is going to hinge on some very brave, very famous people choosing to throw down some big dollar lawsuits, Like that's what we need right now. They did talk about the No Fakes Act, which has bipartisan support and gives some legal force to allow people to push for AI copies of themselves to be taken down. And they think there's also some bipartisan possibility to get AI labeling like legislation.
Speaker 5: The thing is, any of these things would be fucking fail because if what you have to remove something from a.
Speaker 1: Model, how the fuck do we do that?
Speaker 4: Yet we don't know you have the entire module, you.
Speaker 1: Have to retrain like it, there's no way around it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And there was a really good point where kind of at the end of this part of what I appreciate is again there was no bullshit, Like Moya at one point was like, I think it is absolutely it being generative AI is absolutely a net negative for the artistic community. The point is, the point is not to get something out as quick as possible to like make art.
Speaker 3: And this has to be like one of maybe five people who are doing panels at the CEES who's like willing to say that yes.
Speaker 2: And Duncan got I was like, look, you can't stop the technology from being invented, so the best path forward is to like try and channel this into a direction that like is at least better for artists. Like they were, there was very little for most of the people on the panel, very little bullshit. There was some bullshit from one person on the panel, Jenny Katzman, Senior director of Government Affairs from Microsoft. That was fun. So after there's this whole point where like everyone else on the panels like, yeah, I think it's probably in that negative for artists on the whole, and Jenny comes on she's like, actually, I think it's a net positive and her example of this is, well, you know, think there's a lot of stuff that you couldn't do before that. Thanks to AI, you could do like d aging Harrison Ford for the Indiana Jones movie.
Speaker 3: Something everyone everyone loved and great creative.
Speaker 5: This is the fucking problem with all of this, on top of house ship it is and how expensive it is. Which kind of AI are we talking about? That dipshit that's not generative AI. That's not what that fucking was.
Speaker 3: And they still suck, And it also steals us from being able to cast a young River Phoenix explain lovely.
Speaker 2: The only things getting cast in more stuff, Garrett, I'm very unfair.
Speaker 3: Well, luckily with the power of AI.
Speaker 6: Look, I can put.
Speaker 2: Into every newspaper sequentially starting in eighteen thirty four, so I've not gotten to the end of Phoenix. It would be a really long career.
Speaker 3: It would be really.
Speaker 2: Cool sleeping guy. I think he's got the bold ideas. This is gonna work out really well for Germany.
Speaker 3: It would be really cool that instead of just doing Young Harrison for they just do a River Phoenix deep fake for.
Speaker 2: You generate him.
Speaker 3: Look it's canonical.
Speaker 2: Yeah great.
Speaker 5: Oh I love the movies in the future of them too. This is so good. This is so bad.
Speaker 3: James mangled.
Speaker 2: You're a hackenel So I gotta say it was very funny because she also suggests Jenny, there's we could use animals without causing harm thanks to AI, a thing that no one had figured out how to do before. Nobody had ever figured out how just like not hurt animals in movies that didn't exist before AI.
Speaker 3: I thank god, thankfully AI will never do any harmed animals or the environment.
Speaker 7: Nobody asked the lobbyist for Microsoft, what else the company is doing with AI, right, with police deployments or with fossil fuel companies?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Is that bad for animals?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 4: Actually, it's really good. They they need it. They they yearned for the moment.
Speaker 2: They love data. Great for their habitats. She said, there's issues with employment, but there's lots of issues that fall around that, and I do think you need a balance. And at the end of it, the guy running the panel just says, Okay.
Speaker 7: That sounds like you guys are saying a bunch of woke shit on this panel.
Speaker 2: Alright, all right, Microsoft, once.
Speaker 6: On the panel, someone to go and say, what the fuck do you mean?
Speaker 2: What do you mean closest to that that you were going to get.
Speaker 3: I think we do need a balance of some people being fired like these people, and other people keeping their jobs like everyone like moya give somebody.
Speaker 7: Has to lose, and somebody has to exactly that's their entire Somebody has the guns, somebody doesn't.
Speaker 6: Somebody knows the way the maze works, and.
Speaker 4: Something as gonna what we shouldn't have guns.
Speaker 5: We shouldn't have a man and one of them knows the maze and have a gun.
Speaker 2: We should have a gun maze you talking about the gun? Now? Look, we all like keeping a couple of people in a maze beneath our house, right, Yeah, there's nothing wrong with this.
Speaker 3: This is just the dormant next this we just we keep doing it.
Speaker 2: It's it's a nice maze under my house.
Speaker 5: They have.
Speaker 6: It's nice to run some of them.
Speaker 4: Through one of the corners.
Speaker 5: The Minota gets them only sometimes I'm the Minotta. Anyway, the gun maze isn't real, So most of their arguments can mostly just come down to, well, you can't make an omelet without breaking like you have to fucking make people.
Speaker 2: You have to break the human drive to create art, obviously, to make an does not taste good.
Speaker 6: Yeah, an omelet esque food.
Speaker 2: It's a piss omelet, Like there's piss in the omelet, and we had to we had to burn down this esteemed chapel to make the piss armlet.
Speaker 1: Computer made it, though, Yeah, go on clap for the computer.
Speaker 2: We did firebomb the Louverra. But look look at this, Look at this rock star?
Speaker 3: Oh god?
Speaker 2: All right, well that's the episode. That's all I got, folks. That was my first day at CES twenty twenty five. Huzzah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is just my first day. Better offlines here all week.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna hear about stuff like this all week, and I think I'm gonna be fully jokeified.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna wake up in the clown makeup on Friday.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna find the funnest thing to bring back for you.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna find a an artist to put me in full joke.
Speaker 2: Now, I'm gonna try to steal that AI enhanced grill grill that you can I just like move this around. I just want to test that would roll open the door, open the door.
Speaker 5: As someone who's done a lot of like grilling, done a lot of spoken barbecue, I don't know what I would do.
Speaker 6: Is it gonna talk to me in the.
Speaker 2: Wait till you are you? Are you trying to tell us here at z tray that you have grilled meat without a robot texting you about it? Because I just don't believe.
Speaker 1: I don't know how I did it, but I did it.
Speaker 2: You're never is always dreamed of knowing how to cook the robots. It was impossible.
Speaker 6: Oh god, we're at the death of innovation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at the end of a lot of things maybe and the end of the episode. Yeah, and the end of the episode, thank god. You know, everyone else be the cyber truck in the It could happened here is a production of cool Zone Media.
Speaker 3: For what podcast cool Zone Media, visit our website Coolzonmedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can now find sources for it could happen here, listed directly in episode descriptions.
Speaker 4: Thanks for listening.