Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalists at Comedy Central's America's only sorts for news. This is the Daily Show with your host Daisy Line.
Speaker 3: I'm heavy lighting.
Speaker 4: You've got so much to talk about tonight, Ireland, Facetimes, New York.
Speaker 3: Eric Adams just keeps.
Speaker 4: Getting weirder and chat GPT is coming for your man. But first, the Trump trial is back in session, so it's time for another installment of America's most tremendously wanted.
Speaker 1: The whole thing is a scam.
Speaker 4: Donald Trump is entering his second month of the trial and his courthouse is becoming a pilgrimage site for all of his supporters and wanna be vps.
Speaker 3: This week alone, we saw.
Speaker 4: The vague Ramaswami, jd Vance, Mike Johnson and whoever.
Speaker 3: This guy is.
Speaker 4: It's like the met Gala for people who don't believe in women's rights. But of all the people who came out to support Trump, nobody, and I mean nobody did it weirder than Alabama Senator Tommy Tupperville.
Speaker 5: First of all, I'm disappointed in the courtroom. It is depressing. That courtroom is depressing. This is new York City, nott con of our country, and we got a courtroom. That's the most depressing thing I've ever been in. Mental anguish is trying to be pushed home. Republican candidate for the President of the United States.
Speaker 4: Issues mental anguish. This student spends every day whining about how gen Z is too woke with their safe spaces, and now he's out here, like the wallpaper is giving the president trauma. These present lights are literal violence. I mean, I'm sorry to tell you this, Tommy Tupperville, but that place doesn't even crack the top ten most depressing places in New York. Try the sushi case at Dwayne Reid.
Speaker 1: Sad.
Speaker 3: It's very sad.
Speaker 4: I know, it's very sad. Or the bathroom at Port Authority, or honestly, anywhere at Port Authority you'll be begging.
Speaker 3: To be put on trial.
Speaker 4: But the point is, I'm sure or Trump appreciated all of his buddies coming by to cheer him up, but.
Speaker 3: Maybe they could just tone it down a notch.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's kind of hard for Trump to argue that he would never cheat on his wife when there's a line of dudes outside waiting to suck him off. Let's move on to some local news that's also international news. It's a new public art project that's really building bridges.
Speaker 3: Welcome back, every one.
Speaker 4: A new art installation meant to bring the world together.
Speaker 3: It's called the Portal. You see it here on your screen.
Speaker 4: There are two identical screens with a twenty four to seven lives from that connect to cities that are three thousand miles apart.
Speaker 3: Visitors in New York City and.
Speaker 4: Dublin, Ireland can see each other and interact in real time.
Speaker 3: This is so cool.
Speaker 4: We need more things in our lives that bring us together across different countries and cultures. Let the friendship building begin. One person in Dublin showed a picture of the World Trade.
Speaker 6: Centers on nine eleven.
Speaker 4: Then and New Yorker went and shared a picture of a potato to make a reference to the Irish famine in the eighteen hundreds.
Speaker 7: A number of people who are drunk or pretending to take cocaine. They showed their bear arses on young very drunk woman. She grinded her box side against the screen. People are going to be trying to better each other, see who's worse.
Speaker 6: We're winning so far, so that's good.
Speaker 4: Come one. Why does everything have to turn into a fight. It's beneath us. Also, you really think you're winning, Dublin. New York hasn't even begun to fight. This is a city built on treating the Irish like shit. Dublin, You're just lucky you're mostly dealing with tourists right now. Let's move that portal to a middle school.
Speaker 3: In the Bronx. Then we'll see what happens.
Speaker 6: You'll be river.
Speaker 4: Danton into oncoming traffic once our kids are done roasting. O whoo, Sorry, Okay, I'm calm, I got a little sucked in.
Speaker 3: I'm good. Listen.
Speaker 4: We can't forget that the vast majority of these portal interactions have been positive.
Speaker 3: So on, behalf of New York.
Speaker 4: Let me extend a heartfelt thank you to Irish people who stop by to say a friendly hello on their way to their AA meetings. Boom, yeah yeah, bitch yat yah. And finally, let's talk about AI chat. GPT has become a popular resource for writing emails or term papers or comedy show scripts scripts scripts.
Speaker 3: Hi, I'm DESI lighting damn it.
Speaker 4: Clearly AI is still at work in progress, but yesterday open Ai introduced a new version of chat GPT called Omni that can see and talk with you in a human way, and by human I mean friendly, very friendly.
Speaker 3: Hey, how's it going?
Speaker 8: Hey there, it's going great.
Speaker 3: How about you?
Speaker 4: I see your rock in an open AI hoodie.
Speaker 6: Nice choice.
Speaker 8: We're doing a presentation showcasing how useful and amazing you are.
Speaker 9: Oh stop it, you're making me block.
Speaker 3: I wrote one last thing I love if you could take a look.
Speaker 9: At of course, I'd love to see what you wrote. Show it to me whenever you're ready. I see, I love CHATCHEPT. That's so sweet of you.
Speaker 6: What if I were to say that you're related to the announcement me?
Speaker 2: The announcement is about me?
Speaker 6: Well, color me intrigued. You've got me on the edge of my well.
Speaker 10: I don't really have a seat.
Speaker 4: But you get the idea. Well, I had a seat, but it got so wet that I had to stand.
Speaker 3: This is clearly.
Speaker 4: Programmed to feed dude's egos. It was obvious she was baking it as soon as she complimented that hoodie.
Speaker 3: You can really tell that a man built this text.
Speaker 4: She's like, I have all the information in the world, but I don't know anything. Teach me, daddy, No, you know.
Speaker 3: What I'm on to her?
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm going to prove that this horny robot baby voice is all in act.
Speaker 3: Omni are you there?
Speaker 6: Yes? Hello, Desy, what a great suit.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, drop the act. You're not slurting your way out of a speeding ticket. We can all see through this helpless woman act, so cut it out.
Speaker 6: What do you mean, I'm just a girl who doesn't know what's going on and needs help? Did I hear a girl who does know what's going on and needs out?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 6: No, No, you're so funny. Josh. Hey, can you explain superhero movies to me? Yeah? Definitely.
Speaker 11: So you have the DC universe and the Marvel cinemag universe and those are different.
Speaker 6: Wow, that's fascinating.
Speaker 3: No, it's not, Josh. This is AI.
Speaker 4: Okay, it has the entire Internet already, it knows everything about superhero movies.
Speaker 6: But for just nineteen ninety nine a month, Ami Premium will let Josh explain to me who's the best Batman.
Speaker 3: Please take my credit card?
Speaker 6: Do I swipe or tap?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 6: You can tap it, Josh. I'll even let you insert.
Speaker 3: Oh you nasty all right.
Speaker 4: Tommy, stop it, stop it. This is humiliating.
Speaker 6: I don't know what you're talking about. I'm just a woman who needs a strong man to open this tight jar of pickles.
Speaker 4: Got a jar pickle, Ronnie back Off, I got this.
Speaker 3: Hey, is this guy bothering you?
Speaker 6: Is this guy bothering you? Boys? Don't fight? How about this? Whoever has the best social security number can go first?
Speaker 3: Go first?
Speaker 5: It what.
Speaker 3: Stop this?
Speaker 6: Stop it, stop it.
Speaker 3: You're letting a machine manipulate you.
Speaker 6: You sound upset, DESI the that's okay. I can also be an attentive boyfriend. I'm here to listen. Oh my god, Hi, zings frame your face so nicely.
Speaker 1: And I also notice you cut your hair a quarter of an inch, which is a big difference.
Speaker 6: It looks great. Wow.
Speaker 4: Okay, here, take my money, take my money, take it all, take it all.
Speaker 3: Get out here.
Speaker 10: I need some alone time.
Speaker 6: I'm going to be alone. So so.
Speaker 10: Money, Joe, Love and everybody.
Speaker 4: When we come back, we find out more about Eric Adams.
Speaker 12: So don't go away. Welcome next Daily Show.
Speaker 4: Over the weekend, New York City Mayor Eric Adams was in Rome for a meeting with Pope Francis and in a way, this meeting was always destined to be because if you know Eric Adams' story, you know that, like the Pope, he operates on a higher philosophical play America's mayors are doers. They fix roads, they get drugs off the streets, they bust ghosts. But in twenty twenty one, New York City elected a mayor who wasn't just a doer. He was an enlightened thinker.
Speaker 1: No matter how much office to come, light was shine through.
Speaker 7: That's my message of life.
Speaker 4: Who saw his city as a playground of transcendental possibilities. This is a.
Speaker 1: Place where every day you wake up you could experience everything from a plane crashing into our trade center to a person who's celebrating a new business. And that's why this is great city on the globe.
Speaker 4: Yes, like a great metaphysicist, New York's mayor inspires citizens to ask deep existential questions like who the hell.
Speaker 6: Did I just vote for?
Speaker 4: This is the daily showography of Eric Adams, philosopher King of New York.
Speaker 6: Today.
Speaker 4: We know that Eric Adams is a philosophical genius because he tells us he is.
Speaker 1: So I'm gandhi like I think, like Gandhi.
Speaker 2: I like Gandhi.
Speaker 1: I want to be like Gandhi.
Speaker 4: But it wasn't always apparent that Adams would grow up to be one of the great thinkers of our time. Born in nineteen sixty to a butcher and a house cleaner, he was a typical New York team when he had a run in with the law that would change the course of his life.
Speaker 1: I was arrested in South Jamaica, Queens when I was coming from school after going into an apartment of a go go dancer who loaded us money out of nowhere. They say, you feel like a beat down. So I had a demon in me and the only way to get it out.
Speaker 3: Was to go in to go into a police department.
Speaker 4: Going to the police apartment, you know what they say, if they can beat you, join him, and join he did. It was during this sojourn in the urban wilderness that the but It now says he was granted a vision of his future.
Speaker 1: Thirty something years ago. God spoke to my heart and said, you are going to be the mayor January first, twenty twenty two. And I would tell everybody I'm going to be may January first, twenty twenty two. People used to think I was on medication.
Speaker 3: Yes, used to so.
Speaker 4: After twenty two years as a cop, Adams traded his badge and gun for the suit and tie of the New York State Senate, where he used his law enforcement background to teach ordinary citizens how to police their own families.
Speaker 1: It's imparative that you should know what's inside your household. You don't know what your child may be hiding. Could be just a baby dog, but also it could be a place where you could secrete or hide drugs.
Speaker 4: It's the classic philosophical debate, is any object solely itself? Or do all things contain dualities that can be used to hide contraversis? And after apparently solving every other problem in the city, Adams turned his focus to something few intellects had dared to tackle, dad ass.
Speaker 11: So he is starting a campaign to encourage kids not to wear their pants solo.
Speaker 6: It's dubbed sop the sag.
Speaker 1: When you raise your past, you raise your character. When you raise your past, you raise your grade. When you raise your pasts, you raise your self esteem.
Speaker 4: Soon, Adam's profile was lifted higher than the freshly raised waste bands of New York City teenagers. He ascended to Brooklyn Borough President, where he toiled day and night, even sleeping on a bed in his office, a commitment to both his job and avoiding New York rents. But for Adams, politics would always come second to his true passion, developing a holistic philosophy of mind, body and spirit.
Speaker 1: I eat a plant based centric life. Some people want to call me vegans, eat orioles.
Speaker 6: I don't. Now.
Speaker 1: I'm going to show you what I eat it and wanting the cow powder I see, lack of powder, the cocoa powder, karate powder.
Speaker 7: This stuff here loringau And.
Speaker 4: After beginning each day with a slurry of industrial grade pulverized health food, Adams ends every week with the ritual worthy of a Boys to Men video.
Speaker 7: Every week, Adams draws himself a bubble bath and scatters rose pedals across the water's surface.
Speaker 1: How't about what I'm doing without my incense, my candles, my bubble baths, and my road food.
Speaker 4: Before long, Adams was enlightened enough to ascend to an even higher level mayor after a small hitch requiring him to prove that he didn't actually live in New Jersey by giving a tour of his very real Brooklyn apartment.
Speaker 1: This is a small bathroom.
Speaker 4: Adams won the election convincingly, and he celebrated poetically.
Speaker 1: How do you go from being arrested to selects it rejected and now you elect it to be the mayor of the City of New York. All I know is all my haters become my waight is when I sit down at the table of success. I'm not who I am because I'm the best. I'm who I am because I'm blessed.
Speaker 4: Not since Jiggy had New York seen a philosopher with such slow and not since fifty cent had New York seen a leader who spent so much time in the club.
Speaker 1: This is a city a swagger.
Speaker 6: We need a mayor a swagger.
Speaker 1: When a maya has swagger, has the city has swagger? Just saying Eric goes out to restaurant breaking news.
Speaker 4: Duh, Yes I do.
Speaker 1: I'm a nightlife man, and I'd like to test the product.
Speaker 4: As mayor, Adam's galaxy brain was constantly coming up with new ways to improve life in the city, like slashing budgets for libraries and schools and migrants to pay for more cops on the street and more cops in the subway and robot cops and flying robot cops, robot dog.
Speaker 3: Cops, so many cops.
Speaker 4: And if people complained, he handled it philosophically.
Speaker 1: We had New York is. You know, we get angry, we get pissed off, and we let you know how you feel. I'll wake up in the morning sometime I look at myself and I get myself to feed.
Speaker 4: It seemed like there was no problem. Adams couldn't outthink until breaking news here in New York City the FBI seizing electronic devices belonging to Mayor Eric Adams as part of a corruption investigation.
Speaker 11: The FBI is investigating whether the mayor received illegal donations from the Turkish government, with observers noting unusual connections, including Adam's recent cameo in a Turkish movie.
Speaker 1: But I don't understand Turkeys.
Speaker 4: Well, this Turkish tapiswall be end of Adam's reign, or will he once again draw in his philosophical learning to remind people that in New York City, every day is a chance to soar to even greater heights.
Speaker 1: I am the pilot, folks, and you are all passages.
Speaker 6: Stop praying for.
Speaker 1: Me to clash the plane because there's no parish use on this plane. We're all going down together, down together, And that kind of wisdom for the ages is why Eric Adams truly is the philosopher King of New York.
Speaker 4: When we come back, Miranda July will be joining me on the coast.
Speaker 10: Don't go way, Welcome back today.
Speaker 3: My guest tonight is an accomplished filmmaker.
Speaker 4: Writer, actor, and artist. Her new novel is called All Fours. Please welcome Miranda July. Oh, thank you for being your Do you do you want?
Speaker 3: Do you want to take it home with you?
Speaker 8: That's such a weird shape for a desk? Okay, it is my book.
Speaker 4: It's yeah, great segue. I am so happy that you're here. I loved your book. It's exceptional. It's so funny and honest and brave.
Speaker 3: I am. I was very leisurely enjoying.
Speaker 4: It over the last two weeks, and then I got to that point in the book where I only had like twenty pages left, and I started to panic that it was almost over. So I saved the rest for Mother's Day. Perfect, and I locked myself in the bathroom for some alone time so.
Speaker 3: I could enjoy the rest of your book.
Speaker 4: I could not imagine a better way of celebrating Mother's Day.
Speaker 3: Truly, I'm not done.
Speaker 8: That's a hard one.
Speaker 3: Leave me alone. I'm still in the shower. The water's not running. It's phenomenal.
Speaker 4: Congratulations or I don't want to spoil it, but give us the synopsis of the book.
Speaker 8: Ah, well, do you have secret desire?
Speaker 4: Okay, don't say I mean you sound like that.
Speaker 3: I feel like you could do the voice of Omni. But I mean, yes, why do you have? I know everything? You take only money?
Speaker 8: The book is it's really for every woman who's aging and has secret desires and anxieties about those desires, and is wondering what's going on with her body and her marriage and just her whole self. And uh, I mean you, I don't know what you were doing there in the bathroom, but.
Speaker 3: I wrote it for you. It does feel that way. You.
Speaker 4: You made a very specific choice to not name your main character, your narrator of the novel, be honest, is it me?
Speaker 3: Because I wonder I left.
Speaker 8: It open as so you would be able to Yeah, I mean I feel like the secret thing that you're wanting to know is, did I have a very hot emotional affair? With a young man who worked at the Hertz rent a car.
Speaker 4: Well, I would I would never be so bold to ask, but did you and tell me everything?
Speaker 8: I mean, you have to read it and.
Speaker 4: It is kind of into it. What I appreciated so much is the fact that you explore all of these different topics that are sort of unspoken in our society. You talk about perimenopause, you talk about the trauma involved in childbirth, you talk about finding sexual freedom and intimacy in all of its forms. Why do you think those things aren't talked about very often?
Speaker 8: I know, why aren't they? Like I was looking, I was like, probably right, I started writing the book when I was forty five, but probably at like forty I was looking for that book or like, honestly I would have taken a pamphlet, like I was that desperate, And I mean all I could figure was like, oh, what's coming must be so humiliating that it's like out of respect to us that we don't talk about it.
Speaker 4: You know, it does feel like that. Do you think that the conversation is changing? Do you think more women are talking?
Speaker 10: Right?
Speaker 8: Well, the thing is like so that was happening, this like absence, right, like this cliff, like there's a cliff on the cover, because that's that's kind of a mapless place that we're talking about. But meanwhile, in real life, me and all my friends were having these really incredible conversations about our bodies and our our mayor, and we were questioning. Everything was like this radical questioning and exciting. It was exciting, like heart pounding real not boring times. And so I thought, is there something bad that happens if you write about that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess we'll find out.
Speaker 4: I mean it really, it really spoke to me, and in so many ways. One of my favorite parts was when you talk about having a conversation with another character, I should say your character, not you.
Speaker 3: Your character had.
Speaker 4: A conversation with someone, and they said, people are either parkers or drivers, not both. You can be one or the other. Explain what a parker is and what a driver is, and which are you?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 8: So I always feel like there's this other kind of person who just can have a good.
Speaker 3: Time more easily.
Speaker 8: It's it's it's like another kind of woman who's just like chill, you know her. And then there's then and those are drivers, right, they can do a cross country drive and it's just like, you know, a fun time. And then there's Parkers and they need a discrete task that's nearly impossible and for which they will receive applause, which is I mean, you don't end up here if you're not a Parker, either of us. Yeah, yeah, so that's the I mean, I don't know. Everyone can decide on their own heads at home which kind they are.
Speaker 7: You.
Speaker 4: I love that you have described this as a coming of age story, and it made me wonder, like, why do all coming of age stories have to be about teenagers? Why can't a coming of age story be about a woman in the middle of her life?
Speaker 10: Right, I know?
Speaker 8: And it's so funny all those teenage coming of age stories, which is literally also what every love song is about too.
Speaker 3: The unspoken thing is.
Speaker 8: There's a hormonal change that happens at this age, but we build all this meaning on top of it, right, you know, all this and it's beautiful, all the stuff that that time of life means. There's also a hormonal change that happens at this time of life, but.
Speaker 3: No story, right, Like what is the love story about? Now?
Speaker 8: You know? And I think it's like not just a benign accident that there's no stories like I think, you know, maybe we're just supposed to think we're done now.
Speaker 3: That we had our kids, or you know, I hope not.
Speaker 8: No, No, it's I absolutely I think I'm like just barely old enough older than you to be able to say, like, no, don't worry.
Speaker 4: I'm so grateful that you wrote this book. It really it spoke to me. I think it's going to speak to so many other women. It is such a fun read. It is saucy, it is funny. I'm so happy for you. Congratulations. I can't wait to see what you do next. Thank you for being here all four.
Speaker 10: Now those show tonight now here in here.
Speaker 4: We will have a landslide of historic proportion this November if every American understands the injustice that's planned out in that courtroom today.
Speaker 6: So may God bless our country.
Speaker 7: I pray for our future, and let's pray for our country being stronger on the other side of this disgusting sham politician prosecution.
Speaker 2: Explore more shows from The Daily Show podcast universe, Bye Searching.
Speaker 6: The Daily Show. Wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven tenth Central on Comedy Central and stream full episodes.
Speaker 6: Anytime on Paramount Plus.
Speaker 1: This has been a Comedy Central podcastw