Speaker 1: How do you design a golf course that can host major tournaments but still be enjoyable for the average golfer. That's what I'm talking about today with Mike Cocking. Mike is an Australian golf architect and a partner with the firm OCM alongside Jeff Ogilvie and Ashley Mead. Recently, OCM completed a redesign of Medina Country Club Course three. This course is scheduled to host the twenty twenty six President's Cup. So in order to understand how golf architects can balance elite tournament golf with everyday amateur play, Mike and I will dig into how he thought through this project at Medina, how he created holes that will test the abilities of the world's best players without making regular members miserable.
Speaker 2: It's not easy.
Speaker 1: I'm Garrett Morrison and this is designing golf. So, Mike, you were a high level amateur player initially before you were an architect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Did you think about golf architecture differently when you were focused on playing than you do now?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Absolutely, yeah. I think.
Speaker 3: When I was really young and playing competitively, I'm not sure I really understood why I liked particular holes. I knew there were certain courses I really liked, certain holes I really liked, but I hadn't really joined the dots, you know, And it probably wasn't until a friend gave me The Anatomy of a Golf Course, Tom's book, and I had the Confidential Guide, and that was a big learning curve for me. And then I was playing competitively and traveling a lot overseas playing competitively. Just as I started to get good, I was on different teams and things, you know. So I went to the UK and it was pre internet, so I would reference the Confidential Guide and see, you know, were playing at Hoylake or something. I'd look through and there'd be three or four courses in the area that Tom had raided very well, and he'd sort of pointed out things to look at, and so I'd ride away to them, and then when I was there for the tournament, I'd go and either play or just walk those courses. So that for me was a that was a big learning curve. And then when I came back home as well, I would start looking a bit more critically at the courses.
Speaker 1: You said you liked, certain courses, but you didn't know why. Yeah, were they the same courses that you like? Now? Was there just?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I'm motivated. I think visuals play a big part for me. So, you know, I always loved Royal Melbourne, and I think it was the scale of it, and you know, the style of the bunkering and just the general esthetic of the golf course. But then there were holes there that you know, you had to make interesting. They were interesting decisions, you know, whether to take on a bunker or play away from the bunker, and I had, you know, you kind of figure out that no, if I play away from the bunker, that shot into the greensby harder or you know, it's a bit longer, or it's a shittier angle or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I think generally speaking, probably when I was really young, it was sort of at the tail end of that era of where hard was sort of seen as being better. You know, there was that era of you know where people saw places like firestone and stuff and thought that was the you know, so that probably changed for me. You know, as I've got older, I think I typically like courses that are more fun and wider and more interesting rather than necessarily challenging me.
Speaker 1: Did you believe harder was better for a while? Is that something that you absorbed from people who are around you, and you know it took seriously.
Speaker 3: Not necessarily. I mean, there was a certain you know, there was a certain sense of pride if you went and played a hard course, you know, and you played well where you hit some good shots. But no, I don't think so, you know, I think you, as good players, you do often fall into the trap of thinking, of course that you played well on is good. You know, that's pretty common. You have a good score there, and therefore it's.
Speaker 1: Always hard to separate that out, even people who supposedly know a lot about architecture.
Speaker 2: I absolutely study it. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: It's trying to separate out that good feeling about playing well.
Speaker 3: Which is why I mean, to be honest, when I go and see golf course, I actually prefer not.
Speaker 2: To play it.
Speaker 3: I prefer to walk it, because you do get a bit too focused on or you look at the course through the lens of how you've played it that day, but also where your ball is on the fairway. You know, if you miss the fairway to the right, you don't know all the cool stuff you didn't see all the cool stuff that was happening down the left of the hole, right. So yeah, these days, in a perfect world, I'd go and walk a golf course in the morning and maybe play it in the afternoon. But you invariably don't have the luxury of that much time.
Speaker 1: I do that when I can, you know, but it's, uh, it makes for a long day if you see. It's kind of like, if that's the one course you're seeing, then maybe maybe you can do that. So when you were focused on playing, were there particular types of courses that you found particularly challenging? What for you made made a difficult golf course when when you were playing.
Speaker 3: The first time I went to the States and played, I actually really struggled with the rough.
Speaker 2: Around the greens, to be honest.
Speaker 1: Because you just weren't used to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You grew up here short grass around the greens for the most part. Yeah, and it's different.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And my short game was probably one of the strengths of my game. It was a good part of but very good chipping, bunkers, pitching, and I didn't hit a lot of greens in regulation. That was probably I wasn't that consistent you know, so here or in the UK, if I missed a green, I would back myself to get up down. And when I went to the States, I found you know, I'd hit ten or twelve greens in regulation, but the six or eight I missed, I just didn't. I couldn't hit that shot. I couldn't master that chart. I still, to be honest, I still struggle a little bit with it. But Jeff's kind of shown me a couple of things I've whizzed him about it. Yeah, it's just not a shot that comes naturally to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're design partner. Jeff Ogilvie often says that short grass tends to bother most other players.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I guess.
Speaker 1: That equation has flipped depending on what your initial experience is. Most players will grow up, you know, especially in the States, will grow up playing with rough around the greens, and so for them, short grass around the greens can be a kind of kryptonate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and look for most people, and certainly it's an argument that we make a lot of the courses we work out, particularly in America, that we would much prefer to see short grass. It's a bit more it's a more interesting you know, way to treat the area around the green on options, and it can be a lot tricky if for bit applies too. The irony is that for me, it's probably the opposite, the opposite.
Speaker 1: So really what you're doing is you're going around and building courses make it easy for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, all.
Speaker 1: Right, So let's talk a little bit about the the media Course three renovation. Yeah, you know, we we that our theme today is you know, how to make courses more challenging or more interesting for elite players and maybe doing that at the same time that you make them more fun for amateurs. A lot of people are interested in this question of how that's accomplished. It's a big, big issue for golf architects right now, especially since at the top level of the game, the way the game is played is changing so much and it's it's hard to adjust to that. It's hard for architects to find new ways to challenge players who are constantly breaking through the defenses of of various classic courses. So your firm OCM recently completed a redesign of Course three at Medina Country Club in Chicago. For people who don't know, this is a course that has been highly ranked, has hosted a number of majors, will host the twenty twenty six twenty six Cup. And so how did this job come about?
Speaker 2: It's a funny story.
Speaker 3: We were well, I was it Shady Oaks in Fort Worth, which was sort of the first course.
Speaker 2: We did in America.
Speaker 3: That was our kind of big break, I would say, And I still remember we were I was on the eighteenth green, it was the last green we would have finish, and an email popped up on my phone from the course superintendent at Madonna then with Steve Cook and asking if we'd be interested in being shortlisted for this Madonna project, which was.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, it's like it's going to say that seriously.
Speaker 3: And not two days later, I've got an other email from the Australian government saying if you don't come home now, you may never come home. Because this was when this was when COVID. Yes, this is late, this is better re enter the country. Yeah, this is this is March twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Okay, wow.
Speaker 3: So and I think the first whispers of COVID that I that we heard was I think I want to say about December twenty nineteen was when there was sort of a few reports, and I was still going back and forth each month to America. So it went from sort of elation thinking, wow, we'll just you know, I think I spoke to Ashley and Jeff and said, well, I was just trying to arrange, well, let's go up to Chicago and we'll spend a few days there. And then all of a sudden, it was, you know, the chances it was getting this job of just diminished. So the club, they were very good, they were very patient. I went home, but we continued to converse and we ended up pitching for the job from Melbourne. We hadn't seen the course. Jeff had seen the course. Jeff had played there in the two thousand and six PGA, which Tiger won. Yes, but his memory of the course was not that clear. I mean it was he played with Tiger and Phil and so there were millions of people, and so you know, you don't get it necessarily a great appreciation of every hole. You're just looking at the twenty two yard wide fairways that you're on.
Speaker 1: He played with Tiger and fell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the first two days and he played well, I want.
Speaker 1: To say it was that was around the time when he was really yeah. Yeah, he hadn't great forum.
Speaker 2: Well, he'd won the.
Speaker 3: US Open that year, he was probably top I think he got to four in the world, it was probably around that time, so he was playing really well. Yes, So we pitched on it. That were very fortunate. A good friend of ours was living in Chicago and was able to take some drone footage of the course, and I remember being on the phone with him saying, well, could you maybe take some photos from this position right at the first green, or can.
Speaker 2: You go over here? Can you go over there?
Speaker 3: So we got some very good drone footage, some good ground shots, We had some really good historical records. We had enough to put a pitch together and say, well, if we were to win the job, this is the sort of things that we'd be thinking of. These are the sorts of courses we like. We had a zoom call and then in the end it worked out that Shady Oaks was just about to open, and so we arranged for We couldn't get there, but we arranged for the Madina Green's Committee to go down to Shady Oaks and there they at least got to walk speak to a client and got to see a course. That we're designed and understand what we like and what we don't like, and they saw some things there that they really really liked, so we won that job. We ended up doing a lot of the conceptual work actually still here because we still couldn't travel, couldn't get over there. And then in sort of June or July twenty one, I think, yeah, Ashley and I went over to the States for about eight weeks and that history has shown that was such a critical visit for us. We had to get government permission. It was weird, like, you know that we're in full lockdown here and a day after we landed, we're at Wrigley Field with forty five thousand people with no masks Australia. It was like, what the hell is going on to America? But it was a really it was an important visit. I think if we hadn't have gone, I'm sure you know, the club would have had to look elsewhere. You know, you can't design it from here, so we had to get there. But we also looked at a site down in Georgia which ended up being the Full Line, which is another which is our first new project in America. So that that visit was literally that was the starting point for us of working in America. So it was very, very very important.
Speaker 1: From the club's perspective, what was the at us for bringing you in changing direction.
Speaker 3: Look, they even if they didn't want to redesign the golf course, they had to spend a lot of money upgrading it. So it didn't have a drainage system on course three, which is pretty amazing. So of course in Chicago especially, Yeah, so of course one and two did. And a big part of the upgrade of both of those courses was getting like a macro drainage plan in there. The irrigation system was old. Things like card paths were all, you know, in need of upgrade. The greens were really struggled. They'd struggled with turf there for a long time. I remember Steve Cook pointing out that that year that Halo win won, they were spray painting. They were painting fairways and painting the edges of the fairways, so they said they looked green. They struggled with turf, so there were too many trees, greens were too small. I struggled with sort of access and egress, and so they needed There was a certain number of things they needed to do, so I guess their point was, well, if we're going to spend all of this money on upgrading the infrastructure, why wouldn't we look at a redesign. Because from the average members had seen the course, it was very highly ranked, but that had kind of dwindled, and then I think, to be honest, there are a number of people there that recognized that it was a brilliant club, a wonderful club, but looking critically at course three, they really felt that it could be much better than it was.
Speaker 1: Was part of the brief to make it more challenging for pros. The backdrop of this being yeah, yeah, justin Thomas going out there and lighting the coruscan fire at a PGA Tour event in what twenty nineteen, twenty eighteen, sometime around there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it was. I think it was the BMW. And interestingly, if he's since come back and played Madonna with a friend, didn't shoot sixty one again, It's interesting he said, because he was I've sort of heard this story secondhand, but he was playing terribly that week and he was saying that, you know, I spoke to my dad the night before he had that round and he said I really wasn't playing well, and he said, and if you look at that round, he said, like he hold a weg shot, he hold everything. He looked at like it was a you know, he said, I'm so sick of people blaming me for redoing the golf course.
Speaker 2: I mean, we're not.
Speaker 1: But yeah, exactly, it's like or is it credit?
Speaker 3: So it was just one of those rounds that you know, it could have been anywhere. He literally hold everything. So yeah, look it was I mean, I think they are very proud. They're very proud of their tournament history. So they were conscious of that. They didn't want it to be torn up, you know, in the future. But so there was sort of there are a number of different goals.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: There were those that looked at the architecture, there were those that looked at tournament history, and there were those that looked at the you know, the turf quality and infrastructure and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: So there are a number of things that you did to chorus three. We can't really go through all of them because it really is quite the reimagining of the golf course. But just to give people an idea, what was the character of the chorus before you started working on it.
Speaker 3: So I think one of the you know, it was it's three hundred and fifty acres, very big property. There were twenty four acres of fairway. Yeah, not much, not much. It was incredibly difficult for the average golfer. Fairways were narrow. It was a classic sort of order I would as a Melbournian. It was what I would regard as a classic parkland American style golf course. You know, they were lucky. They had beautiful trees, amazing oak trees. There's a handful of trees on that course from the sixteen fifties, which is very cool.
Speaker 2: Beautiful old oaks.
Speaker 3: It was narrow, it was lush, it was green. It was a bit monochromatic, you know, just everything you looked at was green. All the green complexes were pretty similar, and a lot of a lot of the course features that had been built looked very looked quite artificial, I would say. So what we did we did a number of different things. We certainly increased the amount of short grass. Probably there's about fifty five acres now, so more than double.
Speaker 2: There we looked at.
Speaker 3: It was not a restoration, but there were elements of the original. Tom bendel Our course that we found interesting. Some of the bunkering that he had on the course was really interesting. It looked like, you know, tilling Us had built it like. So that became the idea of the bunkering style. We wanted something much more natural and rugged. We wanted to introduce some longer fescue that would brown off to provide some textural differences. The big thing though, was we re routed the last six holes. That was kind of the That was pretty bold, And to be honest, I think because we're on the other side of the world and we didn't have the emotional ties with that course, it was probably easier for us to suggest that change than if we were like local to Chicago, you know, because we didn't have that you.
Speaker 1: Know, Yeah, the associations with the tournaments and those holes and yeah, there's I mean, I wouldn't say it's the most beloved American course, but certainly people have an image in their minds. Americans have an image of their mind in their mind of what those closing holes at Madina Course three look like and play like, because there have been these memorable shots played there.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, so we looked at it more simply and thought, well, there's three part threes that all look the same, right.
Speaker 1: They just crossed the lake there. Yep, it looks it looks kind of like a river in that portion.
Speaker 2: Of the property. It does its narrow people often.
Speaker 1: Think it's a river, but the par three is used to just kind of play from one side to the other.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: And two of them, in particularly thirteen and seventeen, were even next to each other. They played in the same to they looked like the same hole. They didn't have a they'd built a short part four at the fifteenth that probably hadn't really ticked the box of you know, of the great short par fours of the world, and it just, you know, I just I think water can be a fantastic hazard, but typically it's best when it's on a diagonal when you play across, whether it's a creek or a river or a lake. You know, when you you know things like cape holes, you know, they're interesting because everyone has to deal with the hazard. It doesn't matter how far you hit it, and you kind of have to determine how much of the hazard you want to take on. That's you know, it's just a very interesting way to set up a hazard, and they didn't have that. And the fact that you played directly over the water and the greens were detached from the water meant that good players never hit it in the water, but they were impossible for the average golfer. So I guess we looked at the lake and thought, potentially, this is an amazing hazard, but it doesn't quite work as well as it should. The three part three's were all similar and they didn't have a great short path four, so that was kind of our starting point.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, this is what you're saying about. Hazard orientation is really interesting because the previous course there was very linear or perpendicular, and it's in its relationship with that big natural hazard. I guess it's.
Speaker 2: Natural, yes, sort of. Yeah, okay, yeah, I think so.
Speaker 1: Even though it at some point it didn't really.
Speaker 3: Well I think yeah, I think it was a wetland and then they did they damn it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's ry. It was formalized.
Speaker 3: Kay.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So these these par threes, just to use them as an example, would just play straight across it, whereas what what you were looking to do was to shift the orientation of the shots so that it would run along a diagonal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's try and and and so the we didn't think there was that much variety with the path threes and with the reroute that the new thirteenth hole plays alongside the water, so that gave the club something different as well. So it's a it's a short path three, which again they didn't really have. So this is a hole that I think it's best played at probably about one hundred and forty five yards, so kind of shortish it uses it's got like an infinity green with and you can see the water behind, but then if you miss the green to the right, you're in the water. So it's whereas they were always playing across the water, so we sort of added a different type of hole that's usually played into the breeze. So it's kind of a fun shot with a nine nine or a wedge. And then and then the new seventeenth does play, yeah, directly sort of on a diagonal back across the water.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So getting back to the theme of challenging elite players, I guess diagonal hazards are one way that you can do that because if it's just a linear hazard, as long as you have the carry number, you can go ahead and.
Speaker 2: Make that carry.
Speaker 1: If you're a really good player, you're not gonna come up short necessarily unless it's a really long carry.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: If it's diagonal, then you sort of have to make a decision. If you hit it in a little more in one direction than the other, then you might be in trouble. If you try to buy it off too much, you might be in trouble. So that's one way I suppose that the new course might be more challenging to a top level player.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, good players are very good at hitting to a particular distance, so that's right.
Speaker 1: So when they're they're not going to miss that distance very often.
Speaker 3: No, so when you're playing across a perpendicular hazard, they're unlikely to hit it in it. If it's on the diagonal, you're testing line and length, so that's right. So they do have the ability to misjudge, So that.
Speaker 2: That was one thing we did.
Speaker 3: I mean, we certainly tried to improve the relationship between the playing surfaces and the surrounding hazards as well, you know, But being the typical Parkland American style course that I mentioned, there was probably ten yards of rough between the edge of a fairway and a fairway bunker, so that a lot of the bunkering was somewhat redundant. You know, it was a very poor shot to hit in the sand. Usually you were playing from the rough and green side bunkers as well. We're a long way off the putting surface. So whilst we knew we couldn't take it to the extent of say the sand belt, where you have putting surface to the edge of a bunker, we knew we could get a lot closer. So you'll see with the new course the bunkers are really cut up tight to the greens. There is more fairway, the fairwyes are wider, but there's probably a bit more strategy now in terms of being on one side.
Speaker 2: Of the fairway or the other.
Speaker 3: One of the keys, to be honest is firmness. It doesn't matter how strategic you make a golf course. You can have all the angles and width in the world, but if it's soft, those guys are so good that they can be out of position even in the rough, and they can hit an eight iron onto a green and stop it if the greens are soft. So firmness is critical, and you know there's a number of greens there that we set up to like the first green falls away from play, which really encourages short and using the ground game a bit more. But the other important aspect is all the drainage that's been added in and so unless you had a three inch storm the night before, being the new superintendent has the ability to really firm that place up, and that will be ultimately that will be the key and firmness combined with all the short grass around the greens, plus the bunker ing, plus the you know, the angles, it's a there's no one thing, it's those. It's sort of four or five different things that I think start to achieve that balance between playability for the average golfer but making it interesting and challenging for the better player.
Speaker 1: How do you create firmness on a site like Madona's. I mean, this is not the Australian sand belt, this is this is Chicago. I assume it's kind of heavy clay, not typically the easiest stuff to drain or to you know, it's not not the easiest thing to fight the weather in Chicago with your surfaces. So how do you go about creating firmness at a course like this?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's.
Speaker 3: I mean it is a heavy sight, but it's got quite a thick layer of top soil. They sort of look at it and you know, it's good black dirt will be the comment.
Speaker 1: Not bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's super rocky or anything. No, it's actually quite nice tops oil. There was no sort of there were no. I mean, we strive very hard to We don't particularly like the you know the catch basins close to close to play, you know where you've got a big drainage pit, because that.
Speaker 1: Would be one way to do it is to build these big swales next to the greens, have the greens run off into those swals and drain down at the center that's right of the catch basin. But that's sort of it can start to seem like predictable or kind of hacky architecture.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's right.
Speaker 3: So if you were only concerned with the turf and you didn't care about architecture or aesthetics, if you had the series of catch basins all the way down the fairway and all the way around the green, with quite a lot of pitch into those catch basins, you could create fairly dry surfaces because anytime it rained, the rain would hit the surface straight off into a catch bit and that's gone. You know, whereas architects we're trying to do we're trying to minimize the number of catch basins and put them in the raft so you can't see them and not have the big exaggerated hollows. So you're trying to strike a balance between form and function.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 3: So there are there's a few catch basins in you know, in playing surfaces, but they're typically off you know, well off greens and things. And then on top of that, there's also a lot of subsurface strainage around the greens, particularly in their approaches to the greens.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you have to be clever about how you're draining the surfaces. And that's just one way to do it, I guess. Another way is just good agronomy. You know, you need to try and pay attention to the surfaces and really keep them fresh and you know, not let them age in certain ways in order to keep them firm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's right.
Speaker 3: There's certain management practices. I mean, you could destroy the strategy of a golf course if you're a bit heavy handed with the with the hose. So you know, if you were to overwater of course, you know, you're going to it's going to lead to soft playing services, So you know, trying to keep it a little bit lean and keep it firm and keep it bouncy is critical as well.
Speaker 1: So then in all of this firmness and the challenges that you're trying to create with that, what role these short short grass play with us?
Speaker 3: I think it's a plays an important role. So a good example we would use with the membership there was if you've got an elevated green, we'll say, then you've got rough up to the edge. Even if the pin's tucked in the corner of the green. Good players will tend not to think twice about shooting for that flag because they know if they miss it, it's just going to get caught up in five or six feet either side, and it's a relatively simple where Suddenly, if you've got short grass cut thirty yards down that bank and the conditions are firm, it forces them back in the fairway to think more about that shot. It puts a little bit of doubt in their mind because they know if they miss it, the ball might finish thirty or even forty yards off the green. Suddenly it's a really tricky up and down. It's tricky pitch, tricky chip shot. And the nice thing is for an average golfer, though, if they missed that shot, they can just pull out a putter and just kind of whack it up onto the green. They're not going to make their part, they're going to make a bowgire a double. But it's a more enjoyable, more satisfying recovery shot for them than just hacking it out of three inches of rough. So and we used that theory in a lot of places at Madina. Really good example is the first where there's a you know, thirty or forty yards of short grass over and to the right of an elevated green. So suddenly it's a difficult shot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, the one thing that's gonna bother players around the green is not necessarily rough unless the players, to you, it sounds like it's putting them farther away from the hole. If you've met if after a miss they're simply farther away, they have a longer shot in they're just going to get that up and down less and less often the farther away they get.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: And then if the conditions are fairly firmin bouncy. It just emphasizes that strategy. And then if you sort of work backwards onto the tee suddenly, then then it is putting more more of an advantage for them being in the right position on the faiawaye or the wrong you know, panealizing them in the wrong position. So it kind of works its way back strategically both in the fairway and even back on the tee.
Speaker 1: You brought up position in the fairway. Let the record show that you brought it up. I want to talk about with yeah. Width of fairways is a controversial topic among those who are interested in tournament golf courses.
Speaker 2: YEP.
Speaker 1: There are those who say that if a fairway is wide, and the fairways that at Medina are wider now than they to be, obviously they're quite a narrow before. There are those who say, if a fairway is wide, then it really doesn't matter what you do around the green. Elite players are just going to blast it up the fairway and they'll take whatever angle they get when they get there. And so the argument would go, there's not much thinking there because they're not thinking about position in the fairway. Because they don't have to think about position in the fairway. If you give them a certain width of corridor, they're just going to pull driver and look at their kind of dispersion zone and just find a central point in that dispersion zone and go ahead.
Speaker 2: And rip it.
Speaker 1: Not much thought required. Yeah, what would be your response to that?
Speaker 3: Well, that is true if the conditions are soft. If the conditions are soft, it is just a free heat. But I think there's enough great designs out day that there are examples of the counterpoints your argument. Someone like Augusta is a perfect example a little pond host. I mean the enth at Augusta that fairways seventy or eighty yards wide, and there's you know, a three way advantage in hitting down next to the water both shorter shot, better angle, and flatter eye. And you know every yard you play to the rider gets a much more difficult shot into that green. So if the architecture isn't there and the firmness isn't there, that's right. Players will will will eat up a golf course if it's wide. But I think if the if the green complex is good enough and it's in and it's a fairly firm, fast golf course, I think it will challenge and it will create much more interest because the end of the day, you can't create strategy on narrow fairways. You know, you have to give players choices about where they want to hit to. Ironically, I quite like the fact that the US Open is an arrow golf course because it's just a nice point of difference.
Speaker 2: With all the other majors.
Speaker 3: But it's just it gets too much, I think when every week in, week out on the tour is an arrow golf course.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, one of the reality is when it comes to designing courses for great players right now, is that great players think about course management differently, perhaps than than they used to, or at least they're they're more likely to have a particular method of approaching course management, driven by analytics and data collection and the insights that that has provided. So I wonder if as an architect, you take some of that stuff into account in order to counteract or to account for what players are doing when they think their way through a golf course, when they're choosing targets based on a kind of different set of criteria than they used to, does the architect have to do something different in order to keep the course interesting and challenging for them.
Speaker 2: It's a it's a really good question.
Speaker 3: I mean, we haven't spent a lot of time going through you know, shouts to Hull, and we did it at Madina. We looked through a lot of the scoring averages. That was one thing we did do which was interesting, and just the shot dispersion on each hole. But that's probably I would say that's the first time we've really taken a deep dive into just how players, you know, through tournaments had played particular holes in particular shots.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what'd you do with scoring averages? What was the intention of looking at.
Speaker 3: That one of them was we wanted to see how they played those path threes and how they played their short puffour so fifteen it was interesting that you know, better players typically didn't hit it in the water on the path threes. The water didn't really have much of a role as a hazard, which is kind of what we thought. And you know, for me anyway, that I think the great short puffers of the world put lots of different clubs in your hand. You know, there's a lot of doubt you see that around the sand belt. You would have seen it in the last few days where there's no single way to play. You know, these holes, you could play anything from a five eye to a driver off the tee, and none of them are the right or wrong. You know, choice just depends on you on the day and the wind and the pin and how you feeling. Whereas it was clear that that's not how they played the fifteenth hole, so I guess it probably just confirmed some of our suspicions I guess about some of the holes.
Speaker 1: This episode of Designing Golf is brought to you by Red Rooster Golf Gloves. Red Rooster Golf is all about designing a better golf glove, one that's durable, sized for everyone and helps to improve the game. Red Rooster gloves are made out of premium, long lasting leather. They're durable gloves and that means fewer trips to the pro shop to buy new glove. Red Rooster gloves fit every hand. They're thoughtfully designed for all sizes, ensuring a great fit for every golfer. They're available in right and left handed options for men, women, and kids, and there are also cadet sizes for men. Those are the gloves with wider palms and shorter fingers. Finally, Red Rooster is devoted to helping improve this game that we all play. Red Rooster donates youth gloves to junior golf programs, and every adult glove purchase enables Red Rooster to donate more gloves. You can either subscribe to Red Rooster or get single gloves. There are various flexible subscription options, but of course you can just buy one or two gloves to cover you for the next little while. So this is the special offer that Red Rooster is making. You can buy one glove and get one fifty percent off with the code RRG fifty. This offer excludes limited edition gloves and can't be combined with other offers, but if you use the code r RG fifty you can buy one and get one fifty percent off. Check it out at redroostergolf dot com. All right, let's get back to the episode. Tell me about your use of out of bounds at Madonna. This is something that people are going to be curious about. The fence hole. Yeah, in particular.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sure, So that end of the property, which I guess is the northwestern end, was a prairie originally, so you kind of got these interesting landscapes at Madonna. You've got the holes around the lake, which we talked about. Then you've got the holes through the middle of the property where you've got the beautiful old oaks that kind of frame the holes, and then the top end of the property there was originally a prairie, so didn't have the features of the rest of the golf course. It was pretty open and it had a dirt road running around. In the thirties, you know, there were no houses. There was just a simple dirt track.
Speaker 2: And when we.
Speaker 3: Looked at the old aerials, it appeared as though the sixth hole used the boundary as a bit of a strategic hazard, you know, because the hole literally played up against it. There were no trees, and I thought, well, that's kind of interesting, interesting feature. I'm not sure you could ever put that back because there's now houses and roads and cars and things like that. And then we found an old photo that showed the sixth green and there was quite clearly a fence immediately behind the green. I thought that's pretty cool, very interesting, And then we were concerned the view on those holes, particularly six and the old tenth which is now the seventh, was unattractive because you were just staring at the road and cars and an ugly fence, and so in order to improve the backdrop, we wanted to shift those holes away from the outer bound and the club were really lucky they had a lot of space, so we moved those holes forty yards, which gave us an opportunity to then plant out the boundary and to sort of shift your view line away from the outer bounds. But then the question was, well, what do we what do we do now? And we kind of liked the idea of reintroducing some sort of boundary, So that's where the idea of and the fact there was these old photos and we thought, well we could kind of reintroduce an outer bounds, albeit it's a much safer proposition now and with a nicely screened fence line. So we pitched the idea of a postmail fence and it sort of follows all the way down the sixth hole and the seventh hole and the end. We actually continued on the fifth as well, So you have this run of holes five, six, seven where the fence line runs hard up against the edge of the fairway. At the sixth that runs hard up against the edge of the green. But the fairways are wide, you know, they're sixty yards wide, sixty five yards wide, so they kind of that there's a huge advantage for being close to the fence line, but we give that. We give the goal for a lot of space to play away from the fence, but you kind of at some point on those holes you have to deal with the fence line, particularly on the sixth because the green's hard up against it. So if you choose to play away from the fence with your t shot, the second shot now is really difficult because you were sort of aiming directly out of bounds. Now, we didn't think it was that controversial because we've played and seen a lot of courses in the UK and there are a bunch of examples.
Speaker 1: Royal Liverpool maybe the most famous example on multiple holes that that it's not really a boundary line. It's sort of a boundary line, but the burn sort of comes into play.
Speaker 3: And you know, I played the British Amateur there. I remember that the first hole there, you know, it's a ninety degree it's a long part for I remember hitting a three im into that.
Speaker 1: Green played as the third hole in the Open.
Speaker 2: That's why I believe.
Speaker 1: But it's really fun as a first hole because it's it's such a hard t shot right off the bat.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, But then there's lots of other examples, you know, truon fourteenth hole at Saint George's, a bunch of holes at the old Course first pressed week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a kind of a traditional and for that sake, the road hole is a is a version of it. And so it's a kind of traditional type of hole that the boundary hole on a links course. Absolutely, And as much as everybody else in the world has tried to emulate links courses in building their own work, in other places, the boundary hole hasn't been as much imitated because people look at it and they say, well, that's unfair. Yeah, the stroke and distance penalty as a punishment for missing the fair way, that's not fair. I don't like that.
Speaker 2: Let's not have that.
Speaker 1: I'm sure there will be some of that reaction to the use of the boundary at Medina. And yeah, I mean, how do you think about that? How do you think about the issue of fairness when it when it comes to a hall like this.
Speaker 3: I like it because it puts even more doubt in your mind because the penalty is so severe, right, whereas if it was water. I think people are going to be more inclined to play a little closer to it because they know that they can always drop the ball up near the fairway, you know. So I think I think it's I think it works really well. I mean, and interestingly, there was a little bit of concern about it early on, but now that all of the you know, the long ruffs grown on the other side of the fence and the holes have beard it in, the feedback's been unbelievable. So both from golf's hierarchy to tour players that have come and played it, to the members, I think they understand it, and you know, and those fairways are really wide, so you you know that it's not They've understood that there's a lot of opportunity to play away from the fence. You don't have to play next to it. But I think they enjoy the challenge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is there a particular hole at the new Madina Chorus three that you're specially interested in seeing top level players play in high pressure situations? Maybe something that we haven't talked about yet.
Speaker 3: I mean, one of the fence holes, the sixth with the fence quite close to the green. I'm really looking forward to seeing how they play that.
Speaker 1: You could definitely see a ball just kind of roll the out of bounds there. Absolutely, that's a very distinct possibility in approaching that green if you're coming in from a tough angle and you don't have total control of your ball, yep, it's going to go a bee well now.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: And there was some people had sort of suggested that maybe we should move the fence ten yards further away, you know, And but my argument was that it's no different to a you know, suddenly that hazard stops being relevant.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: It's no different to imagine you moved a green side bunker ten yards away from the green, well, it stops being hazard, you know. So the whole point of it is that it's close to the playing surface. If you grow five yards of rough or ten yards of rough between the hazard and the whether it's the fairway or the green, it stops being interesting. So fortunately we rode through that, probably the other holes the Kpe hole. So sixteen. So sixteen was the old seventeenth, the part three, and there was a lot of space to the right of the seventeenth, and every time we sort of stood on that tea, our eyes would kind of shift right and you would see the water on the diagonal to the point where we actually you would look across to the fourteenth tes, the original fourteenth t's, and it looked like a really interesting green and an interesting short part four. The ground was quite steep, which we were a little bit concerned about, but that whole worked out particularly well, and that's a good example of everyone in the field there has to deal with the water. You just have to choose how much of it you want to take on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's going to be a really fun hole to watch, partly because it's set in this kind of amphitheater, this natural amphitheater at the center of the property with the lake there, and I can just imagine the crowds around it and some of the fun tea shots that are going to be played there because there are it's one of those holes where there's real tension on the tea shot. Is this shot going to get where it needs to go? There's going to be some doubt with the ball, with the ball in the.
Speaker 3: Air, absolutely, and it is. You know, there's a bunch of different We built five or six different teas because we wanted people to be tempted to try and drive the green, So that shot is on for the elite players, absolutely, so I think it'll be fun to see that. And your point about the Amphitheater is a good one too, that there's so much action around the lake now, there's so many there's kind of four or five holes that are all in and around the water there, and the way the sand will kind of carry across the water and from one side to the other, I think has made for a really interesting, you know, finishing stretch of holes.
Speaker 1: So my final question, Mike, was it really wise for a US club to hire an Australian firm to build a course that would host an America and President's Cup. It feels like this was an opportunity for you to tip the scales in favor of the international team.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: I just wonder what.
Speaker 3: The thinking was here, hopefully. I mean, ninety eight was the only time that the Internationals.
Speaker 2: Have ever won skills.
Speaker 3: Maybe it would be good for the skills, it would be nice. Look, it was brave for them to country of origin aside, you know, to not just go with the usual suspects. I would say so, and they so they did make a brave decision there time will tell as successful, but no, they're very pleased with the results, and you know it's look, it's not that rankings are everything, but it's nice that, you know, rankings have come out and shown that it's gone up a staggering number of spots and all of that. But yeah, it has been discussed numerous occasions that you know, if the internationals do win this particular President's Cup, what the reaction will be.
Speaker 1: Not going to be able to re enter the country problem? All right, thanks for coming on the show man.
Speaker 2: Thanks Ert.
Speaker 1: This episode of Designing Golf was produced by PJ Clark. Thank you, PJ. If you've been enjoying Designing Golf, then leave us a rating or review wherever you might be listening to us that it's always interesting to hear feedback about the show. Also, make sure to check out CLUBTFE. Go to the fridagg dot com slash membership to see what's offered with clubtf But there are all sorts of things. You get early access to Frida Egg events, you get a lot of content that we do on a weekly basis. I just recently wrote a course profile on Bandon Dune's really went in depth on what I think that course's strengths and weaknesses are. That's the kind of stuff that we do in CLUBTFE and if you've been liking designing golf, I can just guarantee that you would love the stuff that we do in Club tf Thank you for listening, and we'll be back again soon with another episode.