Speaker 1: Well, hello Texans, welcome to the program once again, as it's a never ending journey during training camp that got going yesterday. It's day two today as we had the morning show again eight to ten am right after Sean and Seth and we had Nick Cassario on. That means you'll hear Nick Cassio tonight, the best of that interview in the next segment the executive EP and GM and a lot to say obviously about the twenty twenty six campaign, the state of the Texans and stuff like that. Mark Vandermain and John Harris with you. So tomorrow morning, we're gonna have a bunch of different interviews, including but not limited to, I don't know, Johnny, who do we have?
Speaker 2: You have Dalton Schultz maybe?
Speaker 3: Oh, okay, So I don't know that.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna give you a little preview into this from Dalton at Dalton Schultz today, right. I think the world of Dalton. I am like one of the biggest fans. I just think he's unique. I think he's different. He's very sought, super smart and thoughtful. So you know, I've been asking guys different questions like, hey, if you could have a dinner you and three people dead are alive.
Speaker 3: Who would you pick?
Speaker 4: Tay Urseeries was he picked the Michaels, he picked Michael Jordan, Michael Jackson, Michael B.
Speaker 3: Jordan.
Speaker 4: That was a pretty interesting question. So I've been asking. I've been I've been asking those questions. Late last night another question popped into my head, and I'm so glad I asked this because I got one of the best answers to a question I've ever gotten.
Speaker 2: Here's a question.
Speaker 4: Yeah, here's my question. If you had to give a Ted talk, what would it be? Well, that's easy for me, I know, but I asked Dalton. He kind of thought for about he thought for about five to ten seconds, kind of thinking about it, and then he goes, I got it.
Speaker 3: And I think after he answered it, I think he would do it.
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna I'm gonna tease it. I'm gonna tease it. I'm gonna tease it.
Speaker 4: He came up with it, and then is he You know, it's one of those things where when you get an idea and then you're talking about it and you're thinking and it's well in this and this, he had that same kind of reaction. He just lit up when he started talking about it, and it was awesome to hear his response. So you'll hear that response, and I think it's tremendous. I think he should do it. I think he this Ted talk would be tremendous because it would bring in football into life like all together, like what a perfect Ted talk would be.
Speaker 3: It was really good.
Speaker 1: Okay, great answer, looking forward to that interview. You also caught up with it with Arianta Ersiri.
Speaker 3: I did yesterday. Yeah, yep, sure, that was good.
Speaker 1: I caught up with Dominique Robinson. All these will be on Texans Radio in the next day or two. So stick around with us. Another practice tomorrow and then Saturday morning and then day off and then into next week.
Speaker 2: And next week is the real gride.
Speaker 1: Next week, that middle week because the first preseason game is two weeks from tonight. Two weeks from tonight, Relion Stadium. It's the Chargers and the tech Sins.
Speaker 2: Let's go.
Speaker 1: I can't wait for some NFL action. You're gonna be on the TV call, I'll be on the air. It's gonna be fun. So let's talk today about practice. Practice. Yes, practice, they had another one, the second one in the books. This was a little different today. It was interesting to see how they operated now. They did back to back team periods. Was it the same format today? They just as special teams between the two teams. Yesterday I think it was pretty similar. But they added a third team period. Okay, good, so that was that was added on. I know people have been tweeting that Jake Hansen went down today and.
Speaker 2: Just hoping for the best for that.
Speaker 4: I you never know, I'm a huge Jake Hanson fan, and I just hated seeing.
Speaker 2: Him down, big Texans radio friend.
Speaker 3: Yes, very much.
Speaker 1: The twenty twenty two season. Yeah, fifth year, Yeah, fifth year. Praying for you ja.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I want to see Jacob back.
Speaker 4: But they added a third team period and one of those, if not both of those were red zone periods.
Speaker 3: Yes, I thought today.
Speaker 4: Was And I'll make sure I say this on the back of everything was talked about yesterday and everything is we talked about this so offseason. I'm telling you, I'm not saying this because I'm trying to pump anybody up or whatever, but it's the best I've seen CJ. Stroud throw the football in a long time.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 4: I thought he threw it extremely well. He had two throws in particular that I thought were throws that only CJ.
Speaker 3: Strout could make.
Speaker 5: Nice.
Speaker 4: He made a throw so the team first team period. I think it was going left to right on your radio dial. And I was standing right in line with this throw. And he had Higgins in the out route against Sting, and Sting's all over it, like Sting seemingly like he has it. Mark Thur's not it is. This isn't even NFL open. This is like he's white on rice, like Sting is all over it. He's throwing about to Higgins and he knows Higgs six' four long. Range he threw the ball yard and a half two yards out.
Speaker 2: Of bounds and Let higgs and.
Speaker 4: Let higgins run right into it foot tap bang bang. Catch that was, Brilliant like, yeah, look AND i feel Bad, stings my, Dude BUT cj put that.
Speaker 3: Spot he put that.
Speaker 4: Ball remember The colts throw week, one twenty twenty four at the end of the game To nico third and. Eleven he's got to put that ball And nico he throws it out of bounds basically because he Knows nico can you, know toe tap it and with the link he can get.
Speaker 3: It it was that throat, man and whenever we've seen that throat in a.
Speaker 2: WHILE i haven't seen that one for a.
Speaker 3: While haven't seen that in a.
Speaker 2: While, Yeah AND i remember that moment today AND i, thought is that a? Catch it's a. Catch it was a.
Speaker 4: CATCH i MEAN i BECAUSE i saw, him you, KNOW, i you, know doing the ref, thing LIKE i saw the. Ball it was in his. HANDS i looked down at the, feet feet were In, great there was another. Sideline well that's the other. ONE i was getting to third. Down they had kind of had a couple of bots, snaps so it didn't start, great, right but it got.
Speaker 2: To a THIRD j was a good teammate during.
Speaker 3: That, yeah, YEAH. Exactlyj that's a great.
Speaker 1: Point took care of his. Center, see was a, Leader yeah during that. Point he always has to. Be but you, know you just saw. It you can just see it plainly good leadership, there all.
Speaker 3: Right he wasn't getting frustrated With. Kielan it was you, know so.
Speaker 4: Third down and he Has Justin watson on the out rup by the, sideline And watson gets just a yard past the marker AND cj throws it to the one spot Where watson can kind of slide into it and catch it staying in bounds and get the first. DOWN i, mean, brilliant brilliant. THROW i was just, like holy, cow he had another one during. Practice Foster morole can come up with, it but it's one of those. Things AND i was listening To Seana seth the other day and one of the things that they brought. Up they were talking about, accuracy and they were talking about how in That patriots game in, particular we're so used to SEEING cj throw the. Ball it's such great, accuracy, right you, know the Old Sammy bath. Thing hey hit him in the eye and he's, like, well WHICH I i always felt LIKE cj had. That today it felt like that was that was on point Because Foster moreau's running the over route And petrie's in pretty good coverage and so on the over route from where you are in the middle of the, field, like you can't you can't throw that thing on the line Because petrie can jump in. Front you gotta throw that thing low and away and Let foster kind of kind of dive slide into. It and it's brilliantly, thrown brilliantly with some trash and chaos around his. Feet foster couldn't come up with, it and he felt. Bad BUT i remember as soon as he THREW i was, like that's a good, Ball, like it's a good. Ball it's a really good. Throw and then AS i watched it up on the board, AGAIN i was, like that was a really good. Throw there's only one spot he could have thrown that, ball and he put it.
Speaker 2: In it was a tough, catch but to catch you want. Him, yeah, yeah Love foster make that.
Speaker 4: Catch but you, Know i'm Thinking moro's going across the field, thinking you, know he Knows petrie's on, him so he knows the ball can't be. Here BUT i there was a part of me, going that's the. SIEGE i, remember that's THE. CG i Remember Ohio state throwing those over, us throwing the ball back BEHIND, jsn so he didn't THROW jsn.
Speaker 3: To a big.
Speaker 4: Hit that's THE. Cj we're customed to. Scene AND i just thought today he was on.
Speaker 1: Points they Had, Higgins, Foster moreau And Watson watson sideline. Beautiful you also had a red zone play today from Mister. Mills, yes that was really.
Speaker 3: Nice, yeah, yeah, Yeah and talking to one With, BREVIN.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that happens in a game, situation but you never, know because after Seeing mills on the move Against jacksonville last, year reels can get on the, move and he got on the, move rolling right and through. Back, Look i'm on the other side of the, field so it's hard to say back across his, body but it kind of. Was he's headed for the sideline parallel to the line of scrimmage and just chucks it back of the end zone And jordan comes up with. It nice, Catch breva and good Throw. MILLS i, mean that was a good red zone play right, there and a busted.
Speaker 4: Play, well the thing about it is when you're on the, run when you're throwing on the run and you're throwing to the to a receiver on the, run that that can be kind of. Tough but you also know he's on the, run LIKE i can just throw it away from everybody and let him run into. It brevid circled up and stopped to find an open, spot and So davis did have to throw back across his body and then as he's moving he's hitting a completely stationary. Target but it was it was great to. See if it was great See brev getting the in zone and score a little. Bit you, know we talked about. That you, know we talked About Dalton schultz earlier and how you know that what that tight end room looks like?
Speaker 3: Now you, KNOW i Thought marlin Had Marlin klein a really good day of day. One you know There's foster run that's that tight end.
Speaker 4: Room, man if they can all just stay, healthy that is going to be a really tough cutdown.
Speaker 1: Day client being a rookie playing all levels of the depth chart all over the, place can't read anything into. Anything guys are all over the place right. Now offensive line, configuration defensive line. Configuration there's a lot of moving stuff going. On it's early in. Camp they want to give everybody a. TASTE i, thought, defensively, look there are a lot of. Plays as we applaud the offensive positive, plays there are a lot of plays where this defense gives you absolutely. Nothing take what the defense gives. You you'll get. Nothing in like.
Speaker 2: It you'll get.
Speaker 1: Nothing everybody's, covered, sorry and there's a pass rush in your.
Speaker 2: Face enjoy. That how does that?
Speaker 1: Taste this defense does a lot of that to a lot of, teams including The texans. Offense so as we, say The texans offense made some plays. Today, man the defense made some plays as. Well i'll point one thing. OUT i feel Like harris hits right.
Speaker 3: Here there you.
Speaker 2: Go Solomon bert had a backfield.
Speaker 1: Blast he got in the backfield and made his presence felt on one particular. Instance AND i, thought we need a lot of that From Solomon burt BECAUSE i Got dylan on a side field right. Now horton hopefully comes, back so it's probably you know who knows what it Is logan. Too you got six weeks to, Go Logan. Hall you want to see him in the. Flow but they got a lot of, Guys, johnny they. Do and you got to see that pass rush After will And deneil exit the. Game you got to see some edge, setting some pass rush, right some. Playmaking Derek barnett's not walking through that, door although he, could you never, Know But Derek barnett's not walking through that door you. Need And i'm not saying they don't have the GUYS i think they, do but it's gonna have to show.
Speaker 2: Up it's gonna have to show. Up you're gonna have to see that.
Speaker 4: Materialize let me ask, YOU i don't think it's a weird question today because there's been some noise out there about The texans checking in with One genevian.
Speaker 1: Clowney, YEAH i don't know if he fits in this. Situation interesting as a. Reserve, well remember how that thing went with The. Browns what do you mean what thing he was with The?
Speaker 4: Browns, yeah and then he just walked out and, left didn't because it didn't go.
Speaker 6: Well, well guess who interviewed with or went into. SAID i like What barry, Said Andrew. Barry, yeah reconciliation in life as. Possible you, KNOW i think it's something for us all to.
Speaker 1: Remember there's such a thing as making a, man as, forgiveness as patching up a broken. Relationship, yes not THAT i want to see it happen there necessarily for, him but there's such a. Thing it's good to point out a good little life. Lesson we need to get these life lessons from. Sports sometimes you remember what lovees? Was sometimes divorce is a good. Thing AND i, thought and to balance me this balance, like hang on a, second, Honey.
Speaker 3: YEAH i mean. Love he's been married For harvard, year but, yeah like a billion.
Speaker 2: Years he was saying that a.
Speaker 4: Number but it goes in line With it's kind of the corollary to, yours and that, is you know, what real real, individuals real, professionals can you, know whatever animosity aside and patch things up.
Speaker 1: HAPPEN i went totally, positive that's exactly what you should. Do SO i just that has been out there AND jd lives In.
Speaker 4: Houston now he Probably Mario, williams does he bring him? BACK i, Mean JD's not going to show up until three weeks in the training. Camp we know, that we do know. That but he's still got some game. Left he, Does he's still has some game. Left freaking.
Speaker 3: Wild could you imagine? That I'M i LOVE. JD i always.
Speaker 4: DID i felt like when he was here the first, time there was so much pressure on his playpenion on one overall. PICK i think he's realized that he could have a, really, really really good career in THE nfl AND nba disruptor AND i think he's found that with the teams he's been with The cowboys last.
Speaker 3: Year but you, know he just.
Speaker 2: Happened to be the best player in a draft that didn't have a. Quarterback that's.
Speaker 1: Right Blake bortles third to The, jaguars obviously didn't work. Out but With, clowney he really should have been the number two or three pick in the, draft and nobody would have said a word other than well we want, production, right, Right but that number one pick, Pressure Trayvon walker, Anybody, yeah tell them it's hard to live up to. It and he's been pretty, good but not number one pick. Good he's been number four pick, good number five pick good maybe or maybe not unbelievably, Great hall of, famer but all, right very, solid double digit.
Speaker 2: Sacks let's keep it. Going that kind of.
Speaker 4: Thing it just TAKES i think people fans a, lot you, know like, step like With Mario. Williams you talk To texas fans now and they're, like you know, what that was the right.
Speaker 3: Pick mario was a really. Good, now you won't get, everybody BUT i think.
Speaker 4: In, time when people are able to look, back they'll think about the.
Speaker 3: Player Mario williams not the number one overall.
Speaker 1: Pick pick sack numbers put Jadevi Onto Shane, yeah, sure. ABSOLUTELY i mean you put up fourteen in a. Season Clown he's never had, ten, Right BUT i THINK i think you're.
Speaker 4: Right Jenevian, Clowney Treyvon walker really good football.
Speaker 3: PLAYERS i, Mean clowney's a three Time Pro bowler.
Speaker 4: While he's, here so, yeah like THAT'S i, Mean walker hasn't gotten to. That But walker's a really good football. Player he's really. Good but it's that number one overall. Pick it's that, stigma that stamp. Whatever and AND i REMEMBER i can't remember WHO i heard say, this but they were talking About Miles garrett and this is probably two three years, ago and everybody was, like, man they want A Miles garrett to, win you, Know Defensive player of The year thirteen. Times you only been here five, Years and it's, like that's what goes with being the number one pick in the, draft that he's that sort of. Thing so, well you, know we'll see ABOUT. Jd but you're, right the depth at defensive, end. Okay but to, me that's why watching a guy Like solomon, byrd third year, here you, know seventh round, pick just keep chopping, wood keep chopping, wood and you never know when that opportunity comes, up and when you get a chance to showing those preseason, games you lock it in and, say, HEY i can be the number three.
Speaker 3: GUY i can be the number four. GUY i can be that.
Speaker 4: Guy you, Know, look If dylan's not quite, READY i can be that.
Speaker 3: Guy and hopefully that's what he's gonna.
Speaker 1: Do i'll tell you, what this team is so easy to, love all the, individuals you.
Speaker 7: Know.
Speaker 1: Yep, LOOK i was walking around with a sling last, week, Right. YEAH i can't tell you how many guys have, said, oh you're you're you don't have to sling.
Speaker 2: Anymore, Yeah AND i, THOUGHT i.
Speaker 1: Don't even remember. THAT i don't even remember, that you, know about. Myself you, know guys are saying that to. Me players they don't have to notice that they're so they're nice, guys and they play.
Speaker 2: Ferociously this is kind of what you, want really is it Is.
Speaker 1: RYANS'S i saw one of those great linebacker OR i should, say one of those great veteran rookie moments right with the, linebackers BECAUSE i Saw z's working with Wood as after practice on. Nuances what kind of LIKE i Saw will and Tay Ur sary last. YEAR i, know opposite sides of the, ball but they're facing each other and az'se is showing them some, stuff AND i, thought that's. Good fisher's over there, Too fisher and Wood as, listen they got to, play AND i thought Of Jamal hill because he is in that Mixed scoob's gotta step it up and help fill the. Gap If hanson can't, go you got NO Ej speed And EJ's around rehabit and. Everything and it's so frustrating because you love the guy and you'd love to see him out. There but, listen that position, group you gotta watch. That your top two guys out. There but we all Know hanson is the leading special teams, tackler the reigning champ on this. Team so that's production there that you need to look. At and there's gonna be some opportunities out there for some guys if that turns out to be the long term. Deal, Okay next up the EXECUTIVE vp of general. Manager his name Is Nick. Casario you've heard of. Him he's next here On Texans. Radio all, right right back to, it and let's get right into. It the conversation we had With executive vice president and General Manager Nick cassio field side a trading camp.
Speaker 5: Like we never. Left great to be back with you. Guys it's been a.
Speaker 3: While how long has it?
Speaker 5: Been? So probably spring ish? Draft, yeah rather draft after the, Draft, yeah, something don't. Worry we'll be back on schedule for our weekly. Appearance very nice.
Speaker 2: Thereafter, well you said it's year twenty six for you in THE.
Speaker 5: Nfl, overall, right it is very, fortunate very blessed to be in THE nfl for that. LONG i don't THINK i really dreamt that it would be that. Long Or it's. Funny ben McDaniels AND i were just talking on the bial. Yesterday you, know WHEN i got into, FOOTBALL i THOUGHT i was probably going to coach in college and be in college football for a period of, time and then had the opportunity in two thousand and one to go To New england and you, know for the by the grace of The, Lord i've been in THE nfl ever. Since that's.
Speaker 1: Amazing But, nick you're year six, here so when you look back on, THAT i don't want to get too retrospective, here but you took over a team that was not successful and the build up to where we are right now to give yourselves a chance to do something.
Speaker 2: Big that's got to feel pretty. Good.
Speaker 5: YEAH i, mean any time you take on something, new you understand there's going to be a lot of work that's. Involved and you, know we've put a lot of work in from the beginning to where we are, now and the work doesn't necessarily stop. It you, know we're the. Program hopefully we built it up and put it in a, position and the goal is just to have as consistent a football teams we can on the early, basis and a program that everybody respects and that can be proud. Of, so you, KNOW i Think demiko AND i take a lot of pride in being able to do. That we understand that what's going on in the past over the last few, years regardless of the success that we've, had the reality is we're starting back over and we kind of have to establish our foundation and build our identity for the twenty sixth.
Speaker 4: Season i'm glad you brought that, Up, nick BECAUSE i was gonna ask you that because we can get into the. Weeds mark AND i talked about, it and we can ask you about practice squad players and udfas and all that because we Do It's Texans, Radio but just from a thirty thousand foot view about this, team in, particular the way you guys have put this thing, together the way that you've maneuvered and made things. Happen how do you feel about where this team is right now at this point in.
Speaker 5: Time, YEAH i, mean, look we think we're going to have a pretty good football. Team now what does that look like on a weekly? Basis obviously it's all gonna come down to how we play regarding against the against the particular. Opponent but you, KNOW i think we have An we have a number of players who understand what we want our football team to look like and how we want to. PLAY i, mean really the three core tenants in terms of how we want to. Play, precision, effort, physicality like that's how we want to play In demiko talks to the team about. That so we need to find players who have an understanding of what that. Means number, one number two can actually implement that on a weekly, Basis and it starts in, practice it starts in training, camp and then it's being able to do it consistently over. TIME i mean we HAVE i mean that we were at nineteen. Yesterday now we have eighteen practices in three preseason games left before the opener Against. Buffalo SO i think everybody has an understanding of what the expectation of what the standard is on a daily basis what we expect from the, players and you, know they take a lot of pride and take a lot of ownership and trying to make sure that we're doing things the right.
Speaker 1: Way you've got a lot of young, players but a lot of young players with, experience a lot of good guys in year, three year, four that kind of.
Speaker 2: Thing how would you define, it because some teams.
Speaker 1: You look at the average, age but it might be skewed by a really old guy or really young, guy or whatever the case. Is you look at, Me, meetian how do you describe this?
Speaker 5: Team, NO i think you articulated, Well, Mark we're kind of probably right there in the. Middle you, know we have some players who HAVE i would say ten plus years of, experience not too, many but we have. Some and then we kind of have a cohort in that kind of four to six sish. Range and then we have some other players who are just starting their, careers whether they drafted last year or we drafted them this. Year so it's a mixture of. Players and we've talked about, this the team's going to change and kind of turn over each. Year we have a core, players a group of players that have been with us now for three four years and you're seeing those are some of our better. Players we've been able to kind of supplement that with some maybe some veteran, players whether they were somewhere, else or you, know players that we signed maybe that were in the league somewhere else that we brought here over the last two or three. Years and then we have some younger, players so we don't really care where they come. From it's we just care if they're going to play good football or.
Speaker 3: Not, okay what do you hate to?
Speaker 4: Answer more questions about injuries or questions about? Contracts, Push i'm gonna go there with this one with contracts because when people think about the general manager of the, team there's a lot that falls on your. Plate And i'm sure there are probably some things that you really really enjoy, doing and there are probably some things you're, like where does where does the negotiation of a contract kind of fall in for?
Speaker 5: You, HONESTLY i mean we joke about. IT i really enjoy every aspect of the, job and it's you understand you're going to be involved in a number of different things and you try not to get too immerged or too. EMOTIONAL i guess understand it's a part of the. Business so contracts or, contracts you're going to negotiate those. Contracts the goal of a contract negotiation is to kind of have an agreement where everybody feels good about, It like you don't why not trying to build up any animosity on either. Side, look we'll talk to. Anybody a really good working relationship with the. Agents i'd say my negotiating style is kind of a bottom line kind of. Style so SOME i don't want to hem in hall like all, Right, hey we're generally going to be in this. Ballpark here's the reason. Why, okay we can either arrive at an endpoint or if we, can't no hard, feelings then we move on to the next player or understand you know what's in front of. Us so it goes to the. TERRITORY i wasn't necessarily taught how to negotiate some of. This you got to figure out on your. Own that's kind of HOW i. Learned AND i think you just want to be able to communicate, clearly here's your, position but you also have to listen and have an understanding of the position on the on the opposing, side and they just try to fit and try not to be too. Stubborn try to be flexible and try to maintain a good working relationship because at some point the agent may have another player that comes along further down down the, road so you don't want you want to make sure you have a good working. Relationship BUT i think everybody that deals with, us whether it's an agent or even with other, teams they kind of know how we.
Speaker 1: Operate, nick let's talk about the offensive line a, bit because you made some additions and you bring ed back And trent brack, back but collectively it looks like it's a lot better so.
Speaker 2: FAR i know we're really early in this.
Speaker 1: Thing you want to see them in, pads but you could see the, attitude just the vibe of the whole thing feels a lot better and.
Speaker 5: Different, YEAH i think that group, OVERALL i mean there's a toughness and physicality about, them AND i, mean, honestly the mental component of playing offensive line kind of supersedes maybe as much as. Anything so the physical component is a big part of, it but the mental. Component because things happened pretty, Quickly fronts are gonna, change calls are gonna, Change we're gonna have to make adjustments to the. Line of, scrimmage who can handle that and who can get that information to communicate it to one. Another so they spend a lot of time. TOGETHER i mean it's five a is. ONE i, mean it's just not about one. Individual they all have to work in unison because there's a lot of things that happen during the course of the. Play but really good group have a good. ATTITUDE i, Mean cole has done a really good. Job a certain standard and expectation of what we want from that, group and they understand what that. Entails Kind of going back to your earlier, Question, mark it's kind of a mixture of some younger players with some players that have some lef veteran, experience whether it's people that have been here in our system or In braden's case Or Evan brown's, case have played a lot of good football for other.
Speaker 4: Teams you, Know i'm contractually obligated to ask you about the draft and or. Rookies so since the draft has already taken place and we have our, ROOKIES i want to ask you about one in, particular BECAUSE i know it was one that was kind of talking point out. There That's Marlin klein grew up In, germany comes over, here then you speak the, language plays ball In. Georgia then he goes To. Michigan he's, THERE i think four or five, years whatever it, is had the full. Allotment there comes. Here we don't need a chance to see him much In ota mini. Camp then we watch him yesterday and it's like. Whoa you get up next to him and you realize he's got size and you see the, speed you see the.
Speaker 3: Athleticism what did you guys.
Speaker 4: See In Marlon klein that made you guys want to go get him in the second?
Speaker 3: Round?
Speaker 5: Nick, yeah those things that you Articulated. John and he's a really good. Kid he's got a really interesting. Story he's a smart. Kid he was in a really good program for a number of. Years he still has some like, say developmental qualities in, him but good, work ethic and. Mindset he's, smart has some physical traits that we thought would translate to our. Situation so he's been really good to work. With we'll probably hopefully we'll be able to see a little bit more of him in training camp and the spring was kind of limited there a little, bit but he's been great to work. With overall that, group they've had the right, Attitude they've had a right. Approach in reality is they just got to take it one step at a time because this is new for them as, well even though they've been in. College but training camp in THE nfl is different in. College so there's gonna be an acclamation period and adjustment period for all those.
Speaker 1: Players, nick how helpful is it to have the year one to year two improvement With Nick keley coordinating the offense AND cj working with him for an entire season offseason and here we go in twenty twenty six And davis two also.
Speaker 5: Ramp, yeah anytime you have a chance to go through a full, cycle it's just. Everybody it's not. NEW i, mean you understand the, Terminology you understand the coaching points on certain, plays how we package, plays what we're trying to accomplish on each. Play so you're that much further ahead. Now you're just kind of fine. Tuning and maybe we've made some changes in the offseason that we feel are going to help us, offensively whether it's a call or a concept that you're trying to marry up with. Something BUT i think anytime you go through, something one at least once you deal with the, ups you deal with the, downs and then you move. Forward but you, know it's like our, program we're a lot further along now than we, were let's, say In demko's first. Year so that's just a natural revolution that takes. Place.
Speaker 3: NICK i know you talked about this at your presser.
Speaker 4: YESTERDAY i think Every houston media member was like sitting on The Tank dell. Question so we'll go ahead and get it out here With, TANK i think we want to ask it from this perspective when we saw him go down Against Kansas City.
Speaker 3: MARKET i talked about that, yesterday.
Speaker 4: Not understanding at that point how long it might, take but, knowing, okay that seemed pretty significant in your, opinion what you've Seen tank do to get ready to even be in this. Position what does that say About tank and what do you kind of see the outlook For tank being in the next few weeks going on to the rest of training.
Speaker 5: Camp and it says a lot about. Him, honestly the mental strain that he endured was probably as much as the physical strain that he went through relative to the. Injury so that level of mental toughness TO i, mean, essentially have football taken away from you for a full, season but to continue to push and put yourself in a position where you have opportunity says a lot about who he is as a human, being and we felt that way when we drafted. Him just this is a really special human being and a special. Kid he's working himself into position physically where he should be able to go out there and do some things on the football. Field so you, know really a credit to him and the credit to our training staff and medical staff that he's at least in this position to have an opportunity to potentially help our football.
Speaker 1: Team, WELL i want to ask you about depth at receiver and linebacker because NO.
Speaker 2: Ej, speed but you've known that for a.
Speaker 1: While jalen has whatever injury and he's out a couple of weeks or.
Speaker 2: Whatever it's gonna.
Speaker 1: Be but that's an opportunity for some young young guys to come. Up And Lewis, bond you drafted, him played for AN nfl coach And bill O'Brien and the other guys have a chance to move.
Speaker 2: Up and same with the.
Speaker 5: Linebackers, yeah for, sure you Know Lewis bond's and players is probably gonna have an opportunity to get a few more. Reps you, KNOW i Think hutch has shown his versatility through the. Years he's kind of a wherever you need him player and he's always come through for. Us so and you, Know Jay, Watt Justin watson has a number of years of, experience has been in our, system so he's played GOOD nfl. Football and then at the linebacker, spot you, know there is you, know we think there's some pretty good depth. THERE i, mean we'll see how it goes With wade And Aidan, fisher but those are two young players that you, know we like and had affinity for. It, Say henry's probably had as good of an offseason as he's had since he's been. Here he's a good football player that he's. Improved so it just creates it's unfortunate when the player sustains an injury or has a, setback but it also creates an opportunity for another, Player and in the, end it's up for the players to capitalize on those opportunities when they're.
Speaker 4: Presented when there are veterans around the, League, nick you got a lot of opportunities to watch. Him you got all whatever you know they did the year before and the year before, that guys have been around five six. Years you got a lot of opportunities to see guys on film and find out what they're all, about et. Cetera But Dave montgomery we had a chance to see in the joint practice last year as he walks by.
Speaker 3: Us we got a chance to see them in a joint.
Speaker 4: Practice it's another opportunity and a unique opportunity to see how a guy works during a, practice et. Cetera did you learn anything kind of Observing? David AND i know that wasn't the reason for going To detroit last, Year but was that any part of the decision to go and trade For david and bring him.
Speaker 5: Here, yeah the whole profile On david IS i, mean he's an absolute. Stud he was that way coming out Of Iowa. State he had a really good track. Record he had been a productive. Player what was In chicago and In. DETROIT i Mean detroit's build program is similar to our, program built on toughness and. Physicality so how they, play how we, practice you, know to be able to play for Coach campbell And Brad holmes in that, Program, okay that type of player is probably going to have a good chance to hopefully have some success in our, system but he's an ultimate. Professional doesn't really say. Much he kind of lets his actions do the talking for. Him but you, know we're excited to Add david to the team and looking forward to what he's gonna bring to the.
Speaker 1: Family, WELL i interviewed him when you signed, him and he gave us a cut that we put on social, media and it just made me stand up straight in my.
Speaker 2: Seat it was very. Intense he's an intense.
Speaker 1: Guy underneath it, all and obviously the overtone on the, Field nick and that shared with THE o line and maybe Even Foster moreau who you brought.
Speaker 2: In you really were looking for this kind of.
Speaker 5: Thing, Yeah i'd say any off season like toughness and physicality in that. MINDSET i, mean it was something that you, know we're our team is built on. That so who are the players that are out there that we feel can add to that? Component like we got a lot of tough dudes on this team, already but any and toughness physicality winning this. League so the more of those players you have on your, team at least it gives you That i'd say mentality and mindset when you walk on a football Field.
Speaker 4: Niko always intrigue for your position as you go through a training, camp because you've got some guys that are fighting and battling for a starting. Spot you have some guys that might be rookies just, looking you, know to develop their. Game you've got some that might be fighting to make the. Roster so you've got all these different. Components And i'm sure as you're watching, it you're watching, Guys, okay this guy's.
Speaker 3: Developing you, know how's this competition?
Speaker 4: Going how do you balance all of that in the Evaluation AND i know what we've talked about a lot. Before, hey ninety, guys here we get sixty. Nine you know with the sixteen practice, squad everybody here has got to. Contribute but how do you balance all of those different evaluation touch?
Speaker 5: Points if you, Will, no that's a thousand dollars. Question that's what you're trying to, do and you just have to understand what are you trying to, Accomplish what do you need to see from certain? Players and what more information do we need so we can make the right. Decision we have call it for six weeks or how many weeks we have in front of us. Here it's a short period of. Time but it's a combination of the, spring it's combination of training. Camp, obviously the evaluation Of henry is going to be different than the evaluation Of Aiden. Fisher they're just at different stages of their career to your pointch on. It so you're trying to balance that off and there's a short term. Component here's where the player is, now and then you're trying to balance off, well, okay six months from, now where do we think that player is going to. Be so that's kind of what we're going. Through, look the reality is like the, Team we kind of know what the team is going to look. Like some of this is going to be roster mechanics and just sort of. Positioning so let's just make sure that we can get a good evaluation of the players that we need to see so we can make the right decision when we have to make that, decision you, know later In.
Speaker 2: August all, right he had the thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Question i'm going for the million dollar statement, Here, nick because we talked About montgomery and how much you liked him coming, in but signing him also told us and what else you did or did not do?
Speaker 2: It running, back you really Like Woody.
Speaker 1: Mark's year, Two you really like What Jawar jordan can possibly do for you and down the line With british et.
Speaker 5: Cetera, yeah those players helped us win games last, year those two players you Mentioned, mark SO i Mean woody, REALLY i mean we had to probably lean On woody a little bit more than maybe we had, anticipated just kind of given the. Situation but he played a lot of, football played a lot of really good, football and every times he was the best. Back him And nick really were the two players that kind of played the. Most and Then jawar is a good example of a player kind of going back to What johnny, said like there's a players on a practice, squad gets an opportunity to go in a game and then he produces and he's had a really good. Offseason so we'll kind of see how it. Goes but that, group they kind of compliment one, another all kind of different in terms of what they bring to the. Table you, know if that's a if there's a player out there that we feel can enhance it overall, group then we'll look at it just like we would any other. Position but, overall you, know we've a combination of we got some pretty good young. Players we go to a veteran And, david so we'll kind of see how all fits.
Speaker 4: Together, nick we had a Chance mark AND i did to chat With Jerry schlepinski was actually in the, rain but it was a really rivetant. Conversation we had fun talking to. Him what can you tell us About jerry as quarterbacks coast this?
Speaker 5: Year, Yeah jerry is a great human, Being number, one number. Two he's very, smart and he's a lot of experience in THE. Nfl he's had multitude of different. Roles he's got a really good demeanor and he's got a really good. Personality he understands the system very. Well he's been in a lot of, systems you, know whether it was here with The giants In New, England, Miami jerry's seen a. Lot and you, know he and Coach kayley have worked together. Previously so again you're just trying to making sure that you're kind of speaking the same, language you, know across. Positions but you, know Know jerry personally a long. Time he AND i were. TEAMMATES i don't think he ever dropped the pass THAT i threw to. Him so used to have these big elbow fads that he used to wear it coming out of the backfield as a full. Back but very, reliable very, dependable and really a great person who's a really good.
Speaker 1: Coach since we really didn't talk too much in the, offseason this jumped out to. Me you, know a lot of guys on your, staff on the coaching staff who interviewed other, places and a lot of guys are, back which is a great thing for The Houston, texans and those guys will get their shot at some, point but that's got to really make you feel good that they were wanted and yet they're back and helping you win football.
Speaker 2: Games.
Speaker 5: YEAH i, mean we're fortunate we've had success to the program and they've earned the, opportunity and it's a reflection on what the players have done and what they've been able to do with the. Players, so you, know everybody around the league kind of watches other teams and they have understanding of different, coaches so you, know it speaks a lot to them. Individually it says a lot about the staff That denko has put, together and at some point we know it's just no different than. Players you're probably gonna lose, players you're probably gonna lose some coaches along the. Way so part of our responsibility in job to make sure that we're instant late and we have an infrastructure in place that we can absorb a. Loss maybe it's, internally but then if we, can if we have to go look externally for a, replacement then we're prepared to do that as.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 4: NICK i don't know if you saw. This this is a couple of days after the. Draft it was on social, media SO i know how you feel ABOUT i probably.
Speaker 3: Missed, it but it.
Speaker 4: Was it Was Marlon klein's girlfriend or fiance or wife his significant other at the, time and she was doing one of those crazy get ready With me. Videos she was talking about an instance where SHE i think it was When michigan Played northwestern At Wrigley, field and she was talking About marlon made a. Play she got, up she got, excited and then these two guys started talking to her from, behind and she turned to talk to them and realized they were guys Wearing texans, logos and she was remarking about how much they knew About, marlon how much they knew even about. Her what does it say about the staff that they're getting kind of the every last, nugget they're sitting in the stands like behind, her then you really know they were behind.
Speaker 3: Her but what's it going to.
Speaker 4: Say about your staff that they're doing those type things that people are noticing how much work they're putting in to learn about those.
Speaker 5: Prospects, ultimately that's our. Responsibility so we're making a pretty significant investment in an. Individual so whatever we can do to make sure that we're making a right decision with the most information. POSSIBLE i was JUST i can't say enough great things about the work that our college scouts, do not only during the, fall but in the off. Season we continue to drill down and if we have to get more information or we have a question about a, player all, right let's go back and review it. Again you can't ever cover too many. Bases and they take a lot of pride in, that and you, KNOW i have a lot of respect and appreciation admiration for the work that they, Do like we wouldn't be the program and we wouldn't draft the players that we do without the work of those.
Speaker 1: Visuals all, Right, nick The dimico speech in the, meeting are you a? Go So johnny AND i are THINKING t, Shirts we're thinking a. PERIL i don't know where your head is at with, This, nick but that was Something we're.
Speaker 5: Gonna start some merch sales here of. Practice SO i, Mean demiko's a go every, day so you don't have to worry about. That so hopefully you know he feels the same way about. Me BUT i think we're both both to go each.
Speaker 1: Day we know you're, ago but you had that break between mini camp and training, camp so you probably took off with the.
Speaker 2: Family so share with us what was the cheap?
Speaker 7: Meal?
Speaker 2: NICK i know you. Did Oh, god you're getting to.
Speaker 5: The engage in a few desserts with wet. Ba So i'm A i'm a waffle cone with no ice cream or you, know, empty just the. Waffles WHEN i go, In i'll take a waffle. Cone they'll, say, well what flavor ice cream do you? WANT i, said, no, no, NO i don't need any. ELSE i just want the. Cone so THAT i guess that's kind of.
Speaker 3: Mine my wife will do.
Speaker 4: That my wife will do, that SO I I i TOTALLY i totally understand that, One.
Speaker 2: Like that's all the. Carbs you could just get the ice cream and a.
Speaker 5: DISH i left my girls handle all that they, get they get the gummy bears on top and the, sprinkles and that CAN i get To, yeah, sure go. Ahead now we know.
Speaker 4: You're never one hundred percent unplugged to the extent that you can during that.
Speaker 3: Break how important is?
Speaker 4: It because we Heard demiko talking about how you Nick keyley would text him and because like, Dude i'm on, Break we're on, break go, relax can? YOU i know you can't ever get one hundred percent, unplugged but when.
Speaker 3: You, can how? Refreshing how much does that help? You in?
Speaker 5: Particular, NO i second kind of What demko said or. Expressed the reality is we all need time away from what we do just to kind of clear our minds and clear our. Heads and you need to, Reset you need to. REFRESH i, MEAN i, KNOW i mean basic, sleep, nutrition all, exercise all those things are. Important SO i think everybody has a tendency during their time off to focus on those things and have a heightened. Awareness, well the reality is when you come back into the building and when you, start that shouldn't. Change so you have to be. Disciplined you have to be intentional about. It BUT i Mean i'm very, Intentional LIKE i DON'T i try not to communicate very much With demico over the summer unless we absolutely have, to Because i'm trying to be respectful of his time and our time away and keep the focus, elsewhere which is where it should be on a family and on a day to Day and so to your, Point, JOHNNY i try to kind of not pay too much Attention i'd, say honestly over the, summer kind of simplified and just trying to focus day to day and the things that were really relevant and are. Important try to do a lot of, reading try to stay in certain, routines exercise and all those types of. Things but the priority is To you're still always, Learning you're still kind of thinking through some, things but there's just not the sense of Heightened it has to be done in such a timely basis because once we come back here every day is going to change what you're. Reading, Actually i'm reading a book right now about, college so our oldest is going to be a. Junior Rick edelman has a book and it basically kind of paints a picture about college and kind of of, like, well does everybody need college and just kind of understanding what goes in the costs associated with, it So i'm reading. THAT i Read rory McIlroy's biography or autobiography By Alan, schipknunk WHICH i, Thought i'm pretty. INTERESTING i read another book it was called An Infinity machine By Sebastian malaby Or halliby was About Demisi, sabist who's a founder Of Deep MIND. Ai SO i kind of have some very interest over the course of, summer but just trying to film my mind with some good thoughts and maybe there's something that has an application that we might be able to utilize here with The.
Speaker 2: Texans next, Show i'll ask you About Bryson. Deshambeau good, caller.
Speaker 1: Bad calls to the Open, anyway we won't do that, Today, nick thanks so.
Speaker 5: Much bryson needs to stay off of YouTube golfoks.
Speaker 3: Life with that, now.
Speaker 5: Which actually actually, SO i had an opportunity to play With bryson at The Pro am a couple of years ago When live was In, houston and he was actually a great. Dude, yeah like very, personable very, talkative took an, interest actually talked about The. Texans he's A cowboys, fan so you, know we were kind of going back and forth on football a little. Bit but he's very. Like those guys are like they're playing another. GAME i know we played. Golf, yeah they're playing a different sport.
Speaker 1: Altogether but is it ridiculous when you're playing with him and he tees.
Speaker 5: Off it's just how they hit the, ball and it's just the sound off the. CLUB i, mean it's a lot different than WHEN i hit the driver off AT.
Speaker 2: Ta. Yes, Sure, nick thanks a lot for joining.
Speaker 5: Us thanks, wells appreciate.
Speaker 1: You there's executive vice president and general Manager Nick cassio coming, up the speech of the. Season, okay we're only two days in the, camp but it was awesome and it's next By Demiko. Ryans what he said to the team as camp got. Underway It's Texans All, access all. RIGHT a couple of things on the way out here tonight On Texans. Radio first of, all we mentioned This Demiko ryans for the first time. Ever our video crew got into the team meeting room and this is the meeting that launches training. Camp so it Happened tuesday and we put this out on social. Media johnny AND i played this this. Morning Demiko ryans Referencing artemis two journey around The, moon FIRST us space launch that goes beyond the inner orbit since nineteen. Seventies there's all this information on. It but the head coach brought this into play as an example as inspiration for what the team could and should be doing this.
Speaker 2: Season let's hear.
Speaker 7: It one thing you, Know i've thought about SINCE i was away as. Man let's think about, this, like what are you doing to?
Speaker 5: Prepare, right it's all about their. Preparation camp is all about.
Speaker 7: Preparation what are you doing when nobody's, watching when nobody's clocking for? You what are you doing when you're not getting their? Palls no fans are out? There what are you doing to make yourself? Better what are you doing to make yourself?
Speaker 8: Success so part of this, too, right they're preparing for this launch three years prior they formed this, team all, right for them.
Speaker 5: To take this launch around the?
Speaker 8: Moon, coach what are you saying like WHEN i think about.
Speaker 7: A, spaceship WHEN i think about what they, did they went further that anybody's ever been. Before every person before they launched his. Mission every person has to give it a. Go and they, asked are you a?
Speaker 1: Goal?
Speaker 2: Coach what he's, saying, coach what he's talking?
Speaker 8: About?
Speaker 9: Right we got forty seven days until we, launched forty seven days until we Launched september, thirteenth in Our house against The, bills forty seven days until we. Launched how you prepared every single bend in every single day it. Matters and the QUESTION i have for you guys as simple as, this ask you guys. Itself ask this to yourself every, day every, walkthrough every, meeting every precision, chick every rep at. Practice and we want to take The texas organization to places has never been. Before if every man in this room is a, goal we'll do.
Speaker 2: That are you a?
Speaker 3: Go?
Speaker 1: Johnny AND i thought this morning let's MAKE t. SHIRTS i have. Chills this Is it's. AWESOME i love that. Speech and we're gonna be talking about this one for a long. Time if this season turns out to be the season we want it to be all. Right one more thing on the way out, Here Jalen petrie at the podium grew up In houston the pride of Stafford. Well offense making, plays defense making. Plays it's iron sharpens, iron is it not iron?
Speaker 10: Shopping and are every day out here in training camp is a game. Day so we're showing up and we're trying to like impose our will on, them and they trying to impose our will on.
Speaker 5: Us so with that being, said.
Speaker 10: The receivers have done a great job getting off the ball and run, plays pass, plays making everything look very congruent in the same, like they've done a great job at. That running backs are running, hard good routes out the. BACKFIELD cj is doing a good job dominating out of the, huddle making sure that everything is looking, smooth and emotions like everything is Looking, Chris, So i'm excited about what they're gonna bring this, year and it's been. Good obviously you're gonna have.
Speaker 5: Mistakes defense gonna have.
Speaker 10: Mistakes offen's gonna have, mistakes but it's about you, know coming going from one day to the next.
Speaker 3: Day so obviously we.
Speaker 10: Had some mistakes. Yesterday the offense had some mistakes. Yesterday it's, LIKE i already see them growing on stuff. Already so it's like that only forces you to sharpen your pencil as, well because if you, don't you ain't gonna, better you, know fit. In so, like, yeah they definitely keeping us on our toes and we're excited to go against them.
Speaker 1: Every, day all, right There's Jailing petrie to wrap it up for, us AND i got a lot more from. Him coming up tomorrow, Morning I'm Texans Training Camp live With John. Harris as will be on from eight to, ten right After sean And seth and right before in The. Loop can't wait for More Training camp action and activity. Tomorrow action and activity From area forty five coming your way.
Speaker 2: Next have a great, Night Go. Texans