Speaker 1: Welcome one and all to the Hemmer Territory Podcast. My name is Sean Coleman. Hope, wherever you are and wherever you are listening, you are having a great start to your week. The Brains certainly are carrying over the momentum that they started off the second half of the season with. Over the weekend they were able to pull off another victory thanks to some clutch hitting, but even more so and maybe unexpected but outstanding performance from one Victor Verderis. More on that in just a moment, but first we have to welcome back one of the best when it comes to breaking down the Brains, my podcast host, your friend of mine, the one and Steven Tolbert, back in Braves Country. Welcome back, sir, good to see you as always.
Speaker 2: What's up, buddy, it's been a minute, it's been about a week. I just got home actually today tonight. The first thing I did was turned on the game. Of course, I've been tracking the team a little bit over the weekend. I wasn't plugged in a ton I know they won the series, but and I know, you know, the offense looked great, and the and the pitching and starting pitching specifically looked a little shaky after sale. What else is new? And so tonight, you know it was gonna be all about Bryce Elder and how long he could go. The Braves were obviously gonna be very short in the bullpen because they had covered so many innings the last two games. And you know, the game is gonna be the main topic of this pod. We're gonna talk about some injury stuff, some trade stuff at the end, but you know, it was a big night for Bryce Elder and then victim Maderosh's probably gonna be in the one of the main topics tonight.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and that's that's exactly what we're gonna dicussing.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: We'll put it out there. While Stephen was out of town, that's when Austin Riley got hot. Stephen had direct instructions from yours truly to stay where he was just so Aliston and Riley could stay hot. But thankfully, thankfully, Austin Riley still looks locked in Stephen his back, so everybody's safe and sound. Stephen will go back to where he was if he has to to get Austin Riley hot. We'll just leave it.
Speaker 2: At that loud, But do I now I said gladly exactly.
Speaker 1: But first, what we're gonna do is we're gonna talk about the hero of the night, basically the hero of the past few weeks. Maybe that's going too far, but we'll stick for tonight. We're gonna mix it up, engineered by Fasten All on one Victor Maderos look out show. Hey, O'tani, you officially have company. I know that Otani has rewrite the history books when it comes to being a two way player, but there currently is someone right now in baseball who has a higher career OPS than Otani and as of the past few weeks or so, has been just as good, if not better, when it comes to pitching on the mound, and that is Victor Madero's all hyperbole aside, Let's talk about Victor Madero's abit, Steven. If we go back ten or so days. I can't remember what game it was, but I do recall he may have been an opener in a game. I can't remember what it was, but I do recall in our chat, we have a four person chat with with Brad and Scott, Stephen and I and me and Scott basically made the same con I think in the chat nearly at the same time, but also on Twitter at the same time. There's some quality to this Victor Madero Scott and he's just continued to show what he can do on the mound, and tonight was the best example of that so far. On the night where the main parts of the current bullpen for the Graves were unavailable because they had gotten some big wins over the weekend, Victor Madaro stepped up after a big game from Bright Selder two point one. It needs to get another big win for the Braves and what felt like again a playoff game, but Victor Dario's is starting to show, Hey, this just is just isn't for show. There is some quality to his stuff, so much so I think he may be working himself into being a mainstay in this bullpen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so obviously tonight, because of how much the bullpen was used on Saturday and Sunday, starters didn't go very long in the game. Bullpen had to cover I think eleven of the eighteen innings if I remember correctly. Everybody knew that happened. Most of the bullpen pretty much all the highleverage guys are going to be out tonight, and so two questions were gonna be how deep into the game can Bryce Elder go? And I think he held up his in We're gonna talk about Bryce a little bit more later in one of the next segments. But then the next question was who's available and who you know who can close out this game if it's a close game. The offense didn't have a great night. Obviously, three runs is not, you know, an unbelievable night by any means. And it was a very close game. And so you know, Danny Young was the first guy to come in in the seventh when Elder went out, and I don't even think Danny Young finished that inning. I think he had a guy on third with two out, and Mandaros came in and pitched the seventh, pitched the eighth, and pitched the ninth and the eighth the ninth were against the top and middle of the order. And I'll tell you what, you know, I saw the interview he did with with Wiley Ballad right after the game where he said, you know, I didn't used to throw a four seam fastball. I threw mostly sinkers and cutters, and I got to the braves and you were like, dude, throw it like you throw one hundred throw it. And I think he threw his four seam fastball like fifty five percent of the time or sixty percent of the time, something like tonight. When you could throw that hard and listen that that like ninety two mile an hour cutter that he throws. When you throw ninety eight ninety nine whom cutter is tough to hit. I mean it's almost it almost works like a change up. The speed difference is so you know, drastic. Because he throws his four seam fastball so hard. I've been really impressed with the command. Usually a guy who throws that hard does not have great command, and he's really not had any trouble with that. It's incredible. The Braves got him. I don't know if people remember this, but the was the Braves got him in April. I think they made a trade with the Angels and sent back like international slot money. So this is a guy that's just sitting in the Angel. The Angels, you know, had this guy. He just tells you everything you need to know about the Angels right now. But they just had this guy sitting there, and the Braves like, oh no, we can get this guy to actually use his four seam fastball, and this guy could be like a weapon. And I looked at his Triple A numbers. His Triple A numbers weren't great. I don't know what was going on in Triple A. I mean they were average, they weren't great. But he's come up here and this dude is throwing one hundred with a cutter and a slider, striking people out. You look at his fangra or is a stat cast page. It all very real, like very real, nasty even, and I tweeted it out. This guy has suddenly become a very important arm. You know, the Brave's got another health a negative health update on one of their pictures. Today we're gonna talk about the end of the show. And so like guys like this coming up out of nowhere and just being this good like the Braves needed. He was kind of the MVP of the game today in my opinion, they really didn't have any of their main leaders available and he came in and just locked the game down with a one run league. So hats off to Victor Maderiro's that's awesome, and you know, the Braves real, I mean, this is a incredible trade by Alex and Thopplos quite honestly, and if this guy really is this good, it's a massive development in the Braves bullpen.
Speaker 1: And those are the type of things that you see in a lot of these teams here in recent years, where you get these unexpected guys that step up not necessarily to be the closer, you know, and you've got the you know, almost movie script type set up for him where they all of a sudden become the guy that closes out the games on a you know, deep playoff run, but just a guy who can fortify the back end of the bullpen, who can step up into a bigger role if he's needed. And Madero's has shown that he's got some quality of stuff. Now, the thing that I'll say is is that what many people may feel like, hey, this is maybe an older guy who's been a journeyman so on and so forth, Victor Maderos is twenty five years old. Like this is a young guy as well, and that's something that certainly stands out. And a couple of other elements to him that makes him, you know, not be like your traditional piece that Alexanthopolis has added. He legit is throwing one hundred miles per hour gas and it's the energy like this is. This is a dude who wants to yell on the mound and be intense and be excited. You saw his reaction when he got that too run double over the weekend. This is a guy who just he knows he's in an unexpected moment of positivity for him, Like he's you know that thing that they talk about, you know, all of the sudden, I don't know, I've become important at my job and I hate it. No, Victor Madiro's is living the dream of I've become important at my job and I'm absolutely loving it. And so the blosty, the energy that's added aspects of this bullpen that not everybody carries, and you haven't seen a lot in Braves bullpens in the past. That's the type of thing that can really step up. You have confidence when this guy takes the mound. And kudos to the Braves for giving for building up his high leverage situations so he could deliver in a moment where they really needed it tonight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and listen, he barely pitched when he was with the Angels. He pitched like a couple of innings a year for like two or three years. But he's still got like five or six years of team control. Like this is not like a rental. I think he's only got like half a year of service time to his career. So I mean, the Braves have him for a long time. And obviously it's a reliever. You know, they they're good and then they're bad, and then they're good. Like you know, everybody knows with relievers, it's volatile. This could all go away next week for all ween Like that's just how relievers work. But like the stuff is real, Like you throw a hundred with a cutter and a slider, very clearly, guys have tough time barreling him up. He's getting strikeouts. Like it all looks real to me, So we'll see what happens. You know, Tyler Kinley has kind of fallen on hard times in terms of you know, the righty's out of the pen. Obviously it's you know, it's gonna be a glacier since Suarez one too when Sorez gets back. But you know, it wouldn't stun me at all if Madero's at some point becomes like the next guy, you know, with Fintes. You know, Fintes has kind of taken on that role since Suarez has been out. But if you can run out a Glaciers, Suarez, Fintes and Madero's all from the right side in a playoff series and then ad Dylan Lee and Dylan Dodd, you know that's a damn good bull I mean, the Brades have had a good bullpen all year, but they've got and listen, Suarez can throw a hundred, Flintes can throw a hundred, Mandaro's can throw a hundred. Like it's a it's a it's an aspect they haven't had. They've had good bullpens, but they've never had like high velocity, good bullpen good bullpens. And this year I feel like they have that, and you know, it's exciting. It's a really big development for the Braves.
Speaker 1: I don't want to mention his name, but the one, but I don't think it's a similar story. I'm just gonna say it. This this almost has like bit of Tyler Matzick Fields too. Yet I don't want to sit here and like put that level of success story on Maderias yet because we're nowhere near there.
Speaker 2: But yes, I mean Matzik was a top prospect who got hurt and then came back. Madario's is probably a little bit more of out of nowhere, but yeah, I mean it's it's something similar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, of course, you know, Madera's is gonna have to show the track record. But the point is is that you know when you have that depth, and especially when you can mix in good control on you know, options like Dylan Lee as well as right so ell Iglesias with pure heat like you have with Suarez and Maderos, as well as one test let's not put the cart before the horse. There's good balance and good quality in that Brave Bullpen. Kudos to them for continuing to identify guys who can deliver. And while the Braves do a good job at what many may consider hard of identifying quality talent when it comes to bullpen guys, it's very easy for you to identify talent when it comes to the folks at fasten All, because it's up and down the roster. More of them and a word from our partners and after that, more on the game tonight from the braves.
Speaker 2: Fasten All Industrial Supplies Innovative Solutions want to learn more of visit fasten All dot com.
Speaker 1: And of course, the big thing for the Braves tonight was that, Okay, you won two out of three against the Rangers, and there was that disappointing loss on Saturday, but they were able to get the job done on Sunday. So you kind of were to the point with the Braves where over the past six weeks you're like, Okay, we've had we had this against the Brewers. I can't remember the other team that we had against, but we had a couple of these weekend series over the past month where they finally looked like they were getting out of their funk and then started the next week it was a letdown. Well, tonight they were able to do the job and perhaps besides Victor Maderos, nobody did a bigger job on a night where the Braves needed some extended innings than Bryce Elder getting back to how he looked in the first few months of the season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you know the story of the last I mean, really the last month and a half, that's been the rotation after Chris Sale, Like what does the rotation after Chris Sale look like? And it's been largely negative and a lot of it has been not only poor outings, but really short poor outings.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I mean, I've lost count the number of times the Braves have had to do like a you know, a game where the bullpen covers six innings, five or six innings. It seems like every sales start or every non sales start there at least covering four innings, if not more so. And then and tonight it just wasn't an option. Like I actually believe that if Elder had given up like five runs in the first couple of innings, they would have just hung him out to dry tonight, like he was gonna throw six innings no matter what. Now, what he did was he turned around and he had a really strong game. And the Padres have been a team for the Braves that they have a real hard time with, especially Manny Machado. I don't know what the hell happens when Manny Minchado sees a Braves uniform, but that dude turns into bonds or pooholes like overnight, anytime the Braves come to their place or he comes here, like Mandon Minchaddo's not having a good year. But you would not know that if you're a Braves fan, because the dude hits a home run every game against the Braves. But you know, it was a couple of solo home runs tonight for the For the Padre they have not been playing well. They've actually really fallen on hard times lately. Their offense has had a really bad year, like stunningly bad year. I don't know what the hell has happened to Jackson Merrill, who looked like he was gonna be one of the best young players of baseball. He's really fallen on hard times. Tatis is having a weird year. And so it was a game where like a team that's not playing well, not great offensive baseball coming in, it was a game where Eldrick could really kind of get back on track a little bit. And you know, the boat has been taken on quite a bit of water lately for him, and you know, he did a nice job. It wasn't dominant, but you know, Elder starts are rarely dominant, but he stayed mostly out of the middle of the plate. You know, those two homerows he gave up were balls in the middle, and that's what happened anytime Bryce Elder throws the ball in the middle. Of the plate. You saw what happens with the Machado and the France home run, Like, that's what happens. He's got to stay out of the middle of the plate, and he did that for the most part tonight, and he gave him six incredibly valuable innings. They act she took him out of like seventy seven pitches. I thought adult Wat might let him go longer than that, just out of necessity. I was impressed that Walt actually pulled him when he did, because I do think he was running out of gas. But it was a big star for Bryce. You know, we've been critical of him lately, everybody has. He's been very bad lately. But tonight they needed at least six innings out of their starter and they got that, and it was a really good game from Bryce.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Just looking it up. Manny Machado, I don't know, can't do the exact number off the top of my head, but he has more than two hundred career play appearances against twenty plus current MLB teams. Only the Saint Louis Cardinals are he had the only team that he has a higher ops against than the Braves. Among those twenty teams, that he has two hundredlus plate appearances against is the Saint Louis Cardinals. Yeah, so, I mean it's a very true statement. But the big thing also that stands out, will call it that the Steven Tober specialty is this team is back to hitting home runs and they and they need to be because in games like this, which again seemed like a playoff game, despite who may have been on the mound for both teams, home runs matter. And even though Manny Machado got one, you know for the Padres, the Braves hit more home runs and that was the big difference in the game. That is a huge factor. It also helps that we're in this part of the season where some of the Brave's best bats are usually at their best. You look at the career numbers, you look at the career trends Michael Harris, Austin Riley as well as Matt Olson. Typically this the month of July or you know, the month the first month of the second half of the season. Historically, that's when those three guys really get going. And right now they are absolutely hitting the cover off the ball, and you know, it's great to see. For Riley, it's awesome to see Michael Harris putting together a solid campaign and Matt Olson just does Matt Olson things. But tonight, you know, Ozzie as well at times. But I really want to focus on Michael Harris. You know, he's just he's remained consistent. I know he fell off a bit, I believe, maybe towards the end of May, but he has just remained consistently good, even though he didn't make the All Star Game. Was certainly deserving and it's glad to see that he's picking right. He's picking up where he left off in the first half by having an unbelievable start for the second.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been homers. I mean, it's just like I've lost how many times I've said this. It is the easiest way to score consistent, Like you know, tonight is a Tonight's game is actually a perfect example. The Braves didn't have a lot going tonight at all. You know, they had that one little rally with bart and Debond, you know, at the bottom of the order, Austin Riley had a couple of really hard hit balls in his first two of bats it could have been homers, but other than that, they didn't really have a lot going bald went over for four, also went oh for four. You know, games like that, it's gonna be tough for the Braves to score. Well, how did they score? They hit homers. They hit two homers. And the pitching obviously was the story tonight because they had you know, they were able to make three runs.
Speaker 1: Hold up.
Speaker 2: But this is how you win in the playoffs a lot. I mean, have you play a lot of three two games of the playoffs and you won because you hit homers, And you know, I will, I'll scream this until everybody like it is the most important part of offense because it is the most consistent when you get to October. It's the easiest way to score against really good pitching. Someone gets a walk, someone hits a home or boom, you had two runs, right, You don't have to hit you don't have to hit five singles in the same inning or a double, you know, two doubles, a single, a single, a walk, a double, Like streaking all those all the together is hard to do and it's very inconsistent. The easiest way to score is homers. And the Braves have gotten back, not just tonight, but you know, probably in July, really the month of July. I would say they've scored a lot of runs in July, Like they had the big game against they had the good big game against the Pirates. I think they had a couple big games against the Mets. They've scored double digit runs. Obviously, they just had the really big game against the Rangers where they won fifteen to one.
Speaker 1: So like.
Speaker 2: You know, they had eight runs I think on the Sunday game. So it's just been it's been exactly what we needed to see offensively, and this is without Acunya. But like Baldwin is back to hitting the way Baldwin can hit, Olsen's really been hitting all year. Michael Harris, like you just said, has been Probably you could make the argument because of how how hurt Akunya has been, how inconsistent Riley's been. You can make an argument that Michael Harris has been like the MVP of the team because if he doesn't do what he's done, it's just Baldwin, you know, Baldwin and Olsen and a little bit of Ozzie, and that's not enough. So, like Harris has been unbelievable. Ozzi had another homework tonight. Acuny is about to be back. I still want another bat. I still think they need another I think they need a DH I would love to just get an outfielder, quite honestly, so I think they need one more bat. But if Austin can keep hitting balls one hundred and six miles an hour like you did tonight and I know you're smiling listen, are not gonna do, Austin Riley. I need to see it for at least like a couple of weeks, Like one or two games is not gonna get me excited, Like I need to see show me for like two weeks that you can keep. Tonight was a good night for him. I know he didn't have a hit, but like you, he barreled two ball. You barrel two balls every night. You'll get me back on like the Austin Riley train. We need to see it from an extended period before I get too excited. But like, yeah, there is very much a world where this is a very very good offense. Again, a Cunue is going to be back anytime, maybe this week. You know, I do think they might add a bad at the deadline. Like there's a world where it's a very good offense. And the key to the whole thing is home.
Speaker 1: Runs, absolutely, And you know, the think about offense is is that you know you're as much as you're pitching. You know, could struggle at times if you're consistently again, you know, as much as Steven has said home runs, it's kind of our we have our own individual way of saying the same things. It's consistently scoring runs and the easiest way possible. He'll mention home runs. I'll mention the success when they score five plus runs, though they've fallen on hard times here recently. When it comes to scoring five plus runs, you want to make it seven to eight consistently. That makes it even easier. More consistently the offense is the a bit easier it is to manage the pitching situation. Because unfortunately, while we were going for a stretch there, you know, some pretty positive pitchy news here, over the past couple of days, the pitchy news has not been that great. You know, for some some options that we had hoped would return as the season went along. More than that. In just a moment, after a word.
Speaker 3: From our partners, Hey for the families out there looking for a different path to help your child succeed at home looking to K twelve Power at Schools. K twelve offers tuition free, accredited online public education for students in K through twelve on a setting that works for your family.
Speaker 1: Godfather, you've done the homeschooling thing in the past. I know you liked it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I did. I liked it a lot. All my kids have done it before. It's an opportunity for them to stay at home and enjoy school just as much. They learn a lot. And this is an opportunity for families that are on the go too as well. They have to understand, Listen, can't be at a regular school at all times. I need my child to be doing this, whether it's an athletic career, whatever stature they are at. And we loved every second of it, and I think it is an easy opportunity for some children.
Speaker 3: See how K twelve parate schools can help unlock your child's full potential. Enroll today at K twelve dot com slash foul. That's the letter K, the number twelve dot com slash foul. K twelve dot com slash foul.
Speaker 1: So again, Steve, when we talk about the fact that at the major league label, we're starting to see a little bit of inaklean of improvement. You know, obviously sales been sale, but Bryce Elvert Tonight, Renald Lopez has been pretty impressive in recent starts at Levey Struggle one. Our team Pez likely will be hopefully coming back later on this week. So so we're getting, you know, some guys who can kind of hold their own until maybe some reinforcements starts to the trade downline. More on that in just a moment. But the unfortunate thing is is that we got some unexpected news on Hirst and Waldrop over the past twenty four hours. I'll let you go into it a bit more in detail, but it's just it's another example of you know, yes, the Braves I believe overall in terms of development, have been pretty consistent at developing intriguing arms. That all just I know Waldrop is that all just are not first round talents. But unfortunately that injury bug keeps hitting and now we're getting to the point to where for some of these pictures it's multiple times in less than a twelve month period.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so obviously Hurston's just had a kind of a year from hell. Yeah, you know, he came in, he had a really strong end of last year, and you know, he kind of came up unexpectedly in that Bristol Motorsports game, pitched really well, really earned a rotation spot because everybody else was hurt and he was pitching really well, and it got people excited. You know, herson's a first round pick, really high pedigree out of Florida, Like there was a lot of excitement about him when the Braves drafted him, so you know, they're going to give him every chance in the world to be successful. Coming into this year, that people thought maybe, you know, he could be a day one rotation guy, like right out of spring training and have a rotation spot. And we got to spring and he just immediately boom, he had I think he was the loose bodies in the elbow and he had the surgery, of course, and he was out for like four months, did the long road back, just got back in the last like few weeks and then boom. We got a report today that he actually removed himself from his start in Gwinette after thirty six pitches because his arm hurt, and you know they you know, Walt obviously was talking to the beat guys and was like, yeah, it's just it's never good when a picture takes himself out of a game because it's arm Hertz. They're gonna, you know, obviously get everything looked at the way Walt actually was. I saw the the interview. The way Walt was talking, it did not seem like the most pot Like sometimes you can tell like if if they feel good, they feel neutral, if they if they don't feel great about it. The way he was talking, it didn't seem like they felt great about it.
Speaker 1: So the Eman's article kind of echoed that as well when he talked about Walker today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Bowman said, you know, it's likely out for the season. Some of that is just where we are in the calendar, Like if they have to shut him down, like he doesn't have time to build back up, and then it's almost not worth it at that point, like where we are in the calendar, any sort of injury at all to the arm and it's you know, it's gonna end to your season just because of it. You know, it's we're we're not far away from August at this point. So yeah, it sucks. It's all gonna come down to what the diagnosis. Is it more loose bodies, is it something more significant. You know, we're not gonna speculate because obviously elbows can range anywhere from day to day to eighteen months and anywhere in between. So we're not gonna speculate. We're gonna let the news come out. But yeah, it was a bummer because it effectively ends Waldrop's season because I mean, they're gonna shut him down for some period and he's very he's gonna have very little time to ramp back up. So it was just kind of crappy news today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and and and when you kind of broaden the picture a bit, it starts to get a bit bleak. When you're looking at the you know, most recent wave of braves right handed pictures who have come to the majors, you know more in that that, you know, twenty two, twenty three to twenty five range, and all of them showed initial success at some point, but now all of them, Stephen have either had Tommy John surgery or have had multiple significant absences due to arm injuries. I mean, you know that the Spincher Scrollerblock, it's been more than he year since he's pitched because of multiple injuries. Hirst and Waldrop, maybe you know now looking at I don't I'm not going to speculate. He's obviously seeing multiple injuries. Stryder has seen it, and Smith Jobber's coming back from it. Six months ago, even we were looking at this like, you know, if we could just get through this year, we're all of them are healthy, we could because he's a really intriguing death in our starting rotation now in the year, because because you don't know if Spincer swelling Box is gonna be able to you know, come into where cold look at look at what happened to Stryder after his you know one injury, Spincher Schwellerbox. It may be sometime in twenty seven before he pitches at the major league level again. Unfortunately, that wave of Braves pitching that seems so intriguing even twelve months ago, it's pretty bleak out there now did injuries Unfortunately, it's just it's unfortunate to see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, they've had, I mean they've had an insane rash of injuries. You just mentioned Strider, Schwellenbach, waldrop A, mischall are all with elbow something. Ronald Lopez missed an entire year with a shoulder and really he's never really been the same. He's been decent lately. You know, Grant Holmes had the elbow scare stuff last year, and he's been able to pitch this year at a pretty consistent level. Like Grant, it's a reliever, everybody knows that, but obviously they need him as a starter right now. But yeah, it's just been an insane amount of injuries. And you know, some of it is and I've talked about this before, like the sport as a whole is just not very good at keeping pitchers healthy. Like we've tried everything.
Speaker 1: It's just it's just.
Speaker 2: A violent like pitching is just a violent motion on your arm, Like it's not really good for your arm. So it's just about managing the violence essentially, is what you know, trying to keep pictures healthy is. And you know, nobody has figured it out, and unfortunately for the Braves. And this is why I went on that ran a few weeks ago about when they're healthy, pitch him because the odds of them staying healthy, are you keeping them healthy? Are not great? Just aren't. And this is why, like the old adage of baseball, there's no such thing as a pitching prospect, because like you know if you have if you have ten of them, a third of them are gonna get hurt, a third of them are never gonna pan out, and maybe you get one or two that actually, you know, the Braves went through this with Max Freed, like they had a million pitching prospects back in the early like you know, John Coppola days, Like literally you could list them off for like two minutes and not get to the end of the list. They had like twenty plus really good pitching prospects and basically the only one that's turned into a like really consistent major league starter has been Max Free And you know that's that's pitching prospects for you. So it sucks. It really sucks for the guys individually, because of course these guys don't want to be hurt. But yeah, I mean it's just part of dealing with a very violent motion on a very sensitive part of the body.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And with that being said, you know, if the it just makes the need to look externally, you know, become even more of a likely preference. And you know, funny we should mention that because the one and only Alex and Topless in multiple in multiple conversations over the past twenty four to forty eight hours. Address kind of where the brads are when it came to the trade deadline. We'll say address because it's the typical alex in topless thirty minute interview with not much set at all. More on that just a moment. I've heard word from our partners.
Speaker 3: Todd father, are you hitting some games this summer?
Speaker 1: What's the deal? Of course? And it's real simple, Scottie Braun.
Speaker 4: You know how it is. You go to seat geek and you can find any deal you want in any section you want, even if the game sold out. Go to seat Geek and you'll find something that you love, affordable for your family that you can enjoy anywhere, anytime, at any ballpark and stadium you want enjoy it. It's the best opportunity to go see a beautiful game of.
Speaker 3: Baseball, and that's the thing that you can be so last minute. Sea Geek is the official ticket marketplace of Major League Baseball. They have you cover for all of your baseball ticket needs the entire summer. They also have over seventy thousand events on sea geek that includes concerts, festivals, all kinds of sporting events.
Speaker 1: So go check it out.
Speaker 3: Right now FTFAM. The code is Territory ten for ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at se geek. That's ten percent off with promo code Territory one zero. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and then the code automatically is added to your accounts so you can use it later.
Speaker 1: So Steve and it's good to see the Braves playing good ball again. But one thing that I think that needs to be noted about kind of where we're going to talk about multiple things when it comes to the standings here over the next few minutes. One of the things that I think stands out for the Braves is that they're now four and a half games out of the second best record in the National League, which means that it's pretty clear that they're going to be playing in that wildcard round. What does that mean, Well, that means you're not going to have a four or five six day window where you can really try to set your pitching with you know, internal options that you currently have, because you're gonna have to use them in at least two plus games. Then you would kind of hope for in the first two months of the season. So what does that mean the need for pitching becomes even higher, and that obviously is on the radar right that that obviously is what the Braves need. They need another legitimate starter. Nobody in the world knows that more than Alex and thoughtless he admitted that as much. But the interesting thing that he did say, again, if you go back and listen to the interviews, a lot of it is just you know him, you know, just basically saying a lot of words, but with not really giving you any insight. But one thing that he did kind of hit on was that while they do acknowledge that's clearly what they need, that's clearly what they want. There's a lot of other teams that want that as well. But where you kind of have to pivot at times is in what way can I improve my team the most? And that kind of to me makes it where, yeah, they're going to do everything they can to get that starter. I think they're eventually going to get a starter or two former fashion, but we may see a bit of an unorthodox move that could improve maybe the bullpen or the offense to really try to make one of those aspects of the teams. Among the elite in baseball consistent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I don't know if Alex has like a quota of number of interviews he has to do in a year and he decided, like, screw it, I'm gonna do like five of them in a row. It seems like he's interviewed with everybody of the last like three days, and you know, I found it very funny and very on brand that in every single interview it seems like he highlighted a different part of the team as like the area like Rosenthal had a report about how the brains were really focused on offense instead of pitching. And then the next day Alex does an interview and he focuses much more on starters and relievers than offense. And then he does another interview where he talks about the whole damn team like it's it's just very on brand. It's why I don't really bother with any of it, because one, Alex has always shown that even if a team has a very clear need, if they can't get that need, they will go and prove the team elsewhere to try to make up for the fact that they couldn't get exactly what they needed. So that opens up everything, right, Two Alex doesn't even know who's available yet because teams themselves are not declaring. I mean, we still got what two weeks to the deadline, right at two weeks, I think, and so like teams don't have to decide today. They can wait and see if they've got a six game winning streak. You know, if you'd asked the Boston Red Sox fourteen games ago what they were gonna do, they would have told you they were gonna sell. Well, they've just won fourteen straight games, and now they're very much gonna buy because they're you know, they're very much in the playoffs. I think they're in the playoffs right now if they started today. So, you know, teams just aren't ready to declare. And I think there I think Alex said it on his radio show today, they're right now. There's pretty clearly seven sellers right now, Like if you look at the standings, very very easily seven sellers. There's a very good chance we could get that number to like ten, And I think that's the number, Like, if you can get to at least ten, like obviously twelve fifteen would be ideal where it's equal number of buyers and sellers. But even if you can get to double digits, I think you can at least make some reasonable moves. So it's just gonna all be about over the next basically week, this week, this next seven days, how these teams do. The Red Sox going bananas actually helps the Braves in a way because they have made it where all the teams behind them. The Red Sox are currently the third wild card in the American League, and because they just never lose anymore, all the teams behind them have found themselves four or five, six, seven games back of the playoff spot all of a sudden, like the Red Sox going nuclear could actually be very beneficial for the Braves, even though obviously the Braves we're hoping that maybe they could get some of the Red Sox players at some point. Obviously we talked a lot about Sunny Gray. That's not gonna happen anymore. But them winning at the level they have might actually push some other teams to sell, which would help. We need that same thing to happen in the National League. Right now, there's five playoff teams very clearly in the National League, the Dodgers, the Brewers, the Braves, Afhillies, and the Cubs, those have kind of separated themselves. Unfortunately, that sixth team has not appeared yet, and that has left everybody feeling like they've got a chance, right, Like teams like the Padres and the Diamondbacks and the Cardinals and the Nationals, like we needed one of those teams to kind of take off, and that really hasn't happened, and so that's gonna muddy the waters. So it's all gonna come down to who is actually gonna sell. Over the next two weeks and the next seven days, we'll decide a lot of that. So yeah, I mean, he's just gonna have to wait and see who's available. But there is no out. In my mind, the braves number one need is a a very clear number two starter, someone who is very obviously going to take Game two that the Braves have to be in that Wildcard round. Chris Sale pitches Game one, player X pitches in Game two, no questions asked. That is the braves number one need. It has been for over a year now, and you know that's going to be the main focus.
Speaker 5: I think, yeah, And you know, with that being said, while the landscape of what exactly is going to be out there, for the trade deadline is still very much in a fog.
Speaker 1: We're starting to see a few teams coming to focus. You know, we've seen the Reds basically kind of you know, put it out there that you know they're willing to sell. You know, they're wanting to do it in layers, okay, whatever. We're seeing reports that the Angels are starting to potentially be willing to sell. The Royals would would naturally be someone that would you know, want to do that as well. And what stands out about those three teams is that some of their most obvious trade candidates are actually options that are controllable versus rentals. And that's something that I think the brains need to focus on. If the Braves are going to go get a number two starter, they also need someone that can be in the rotation going forward beyond twenty twenty six. The biggest reason why is because with what we mentioned in the last segment, with a lot of your internal options that you thought were gonna be ready for years to come, that's not the case right now. And so if they can find a controllable option that makes sense. Read debtmers Jose Soreon and Michael Waka SETH logo names like that are going to be out there, so the Braves need to go out there and get them. And so while overall great options may not be there as number two starters, there could be several different options. The Braves could choose room in terms of controllable, intriguing starters, and that may be worth paying a decent price to go get.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I mean, it's just gonna be about who's available. Like there's a word where Schooble is still available. By the way, Like there's a world I think the Twins have lost three in a row. There's a world where Joe Ryan is available. There's a world where neither of those guys is available. There's a world where Miami looked like they were gonna buy a week ago, but they've lost like seven in a row. So like if Miami really goes in the tank, Miami could sell. Like it's it's kind of on a knife s edge right now, Like there's just so many teams that could go one way or the other that is going to drastically change the market, and so it's you know, it's it's not even really possible to I said this earlier. I don't even think Alex knows the names of who's available, and I think he said in the interview today like he's been given a list of the players who are available right now. That list is going to drastically change over the next seven days. So there's just no way to guess. And there's probably guys that we would be surprised. I've seen in the past we're contenders, will sell and by at the same time, I've seen we're sellers also by Like it's just you never know what's going on in the front office. Who needs to clear money, who doesn't. You know a lot of these teams get to this point and they realize they're not going to make a playoff run last year, And I've used this exam before last year, no one had any idea at this point, two weeks out from the deadline that the Twins we're gonna sell everybody. No one saw a fire cell from the Twins coming at this point last year. That could happen with some team we're not even thinking about right now, where an owner just says, you know what, we've tried with this cord. It's not working. We're gonna do a hard reset and we're gonna start right now. So you know, there's just too much uncertainty to even try to guess who the names you're gonna be. All we can kind of guess on is conceptionally who it's going to be. And I heard Alex say today that he believes the playoffs are built around pitching. I heard him say that today, And I believe the playoffs are built around pitching as well. I would say pitching in homers or is what wins in the postseason. And they need one. They everyone on God's Green Earth knows the Braves need one more really good starter. They don't need three guys, they just need one more. They need one very clear playoff caliber starter. And that's going to be the question. I think they need more. I think they need a bat. I can make the case they need two bats. I think they need a DH because Dom Smith has kind of turned back into Dom Smith. But more than all of that, they need one high level playoff starter. And you know, a lot of a lot of this deadline is going to be graded on that basis do they get that guy?
Speaker 1: And and we've heard you know the fact, you know, when when the Tigers and the Red Sox were struggling. We heard the Braves were you know, quote unquote. I think it was more because it just made sense and it was you know, actual reporting. You know, the Braves are you know, easily in on Schooble. The Braves are easily in on Sunny Gray. Those are the type of guys that you know, really fall in mind to be that number two starter. Yeah. The problem is is that while they need that, it's going to be very hard to find if there are a limited number of sellers. There's a reason why those teams are sellers. It's because they don't have options that are that great. So the last thing they'll end on is I threw out on Twitter today that what I felt like a pretty straightforward deal for the Braves could be though I know it's the Mets. When I said straightforward, I was meaning, this is a combo deal that can you know, if Alex really prefers pitching, this is a combo deal that can at least check the boxes, you know, in several ways to just make things better. Freddy Peralta, as well as AJ Mentor Agent Mentor, is having a pretty decent season. Reddy Parolta is not. He has struggled but he has a good track record, but the main focus of that obviously is Paralta. The one thing that I will say is this is that you're probably not going to find that clear number two bona fide starter that you want out there at this trade deadline. You're just probably not because that type of pitcher is probably helping their own teams stay in quote unquote contention. So what do you do next? You yet pick from the plethora of struggling pitchers that are available for a profile that you feel can have some quick turnaround to really help out. Now, I don't want a reclamation project. There's our main get when it comes to a starting pitcher. But if that's all that's out there, it's hard to create your perfect picture out of than air. So at that point you kind of got to go with the track record. Like, if a guy's struggling this year, what makes me more confident in him that he'll be able to bounce back previous years where he was really good. So finding that number two starter, that bona fide number two starter is probably going to be hard to do because just from lack of options. So maybe you can go get one or two guys whose profiles you like that are struggling, and one of those guys can eventually become that, you know, number two guy after sale. That's not ideal, But as Alex and Thopplis said multiple times again today, you can only go with what's available, and that may be all that's available at this deadline.
Speaker 2: Well, and that also highlights like you really need to do more in the offseason. Like right, like, I'm i there's a nice way to say this and a not nice way to say that. I'm gonna try to find the nice way to say I don't really have any interest in hearing about how hard it is to acquire pitching at the deadline because and how much easier it is to acquire in the off season because you didn't really acquire any pitching in the off season either, So like, yes, obviously it's very hard to acquire pitching right now. That's why it's so important to do it in the off season when everybody and their mother was screaming for you to go add some So like, yeah, it's tough, but it's tough because you made it tough because you didn't do you know, there should have been more added and the team is very good don't get me wrong. The team is very good, and I'm actually really high on the offense, in the in the bullpen, especially when a Coune comes back, and especially if they can add one more bat. But like, yeah, that's why it's so important to add, you know, your your big arms in the off season because we get to this point. The third playoff spot in both leagues has made the try deadline very difficult because there's just so many teams that still believe they're in it, and there's not a lot of pitching and everybody needs pitching and it's gonna be expensive, and like, yeah, I mean you kind of put yourself in this position, so you know, but they need a I mean, they need a guy, there's no doubt, and I have no idea who it'll be. You know, I don't think Buster Posey is particularly good at his job. I think he's pretty terrible at it. Honestly, I would keep calling the Giants about Logan Web and just see if one day they say, yes, I know they said early on they're not gonna sell them. But again, I don't think Buster is very good at this so but yeah, we'll see what it is. But they need another they need another frontline guy. I mean, that's just the clearest need and has been for a while.
Speaker 1: So Unfortunately, what this basically means is that it's probably still gonna be another ten days or so before we get even tack of clarity on what moved the Braves are gonna make. But hey, if the offense wants to keep rolling until then, we want to keep on winning to give us even more reason to really invest in pitching, Let's do that. You can find Steven Tobert at b Underscore Outliers on Twitter, slash x. My name is Sean Coleman. You find me at stat's sac Hammer Territory across all forms of social media, part of the Foul Territory family of podcasts. Until next time He'll breaks, We'll talk to you again sup here on the Hammer Territory podcast