Speaker 1: This is that Ben and Nashley I almost famous podcast Bachelor Countdown. Hey, we're continuing our time counting down to Grant season of The Bachelor, which is airing January twenty seventh, and today, well like most weeks leading up to this season, we have a past Bachelor, Zach.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: Hi, Hello, Hello Zach.
Speaker 4: If you don't remember which, of course you do. Season twenty seven premiere January twenty jurd twenty third, twenty twenty three. It's been two years, Zach, and I see behind you that you still have in your office a little a little rose. And look at this, Look at this. This is hilarious. Look what I have right next to me the same rose. Oho, we both have Beauty and the Beast roses in little glass capsules.
Speaker 5: So I gotta admit this is not the same rose. Someone did send us this, and I think it's awesome. I think it's a cool little reminder. Keep it in the office. Why not a little bit of you know, great memories, but also some trauma stored in this row?
Speaker 4: So so to you. Even though that's not the rose, Is that a symbol of all the roses given out during your time or is that the final rose that you gave to Katie?
Speaker 3: That's the final rose for Katie of course. Of course.
Speaker 4: How has your past two years been? I mean, you guys have really, from the outside seemed to be one of the couples that we're going to have as you know, for real, for real.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, the past two years have been unbelievable. So Kate and I, I mean, right after the show, pretty much we went back to what we knew and what we loved and focused on each other and we've just been trucking along, moved in together, got our first puppy about five months ago, and we're just living puppy parent lives and you know, planning our future. So it's it's been a crazy fast period, but we love it.
Speaker 3: It's been awesome.
Speaker 4: Well, it helped that you guys were both living in Texas and both in Austin, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, we actually turns out we were a few miles away from each other. She had been here for you know, less than a couple of months, but it is just it is perfect that she happened to be out here, and then within three months after the show, we're like, hey, let's just move in already like, what are we waiting for?
Speaker 4: So you and Katie had a venue picked and you did you have a date picked at this video? Yeah, you just didn't. You didn't sign the contract, but you had it all planned and then you decided not to go through with it.
Speaker 2: That's drama.
Speaker 3: That's drama for us.
Speaker 5: That makes it sound very dramatic. It is the complete opposite. So, so we had been planning or talking about wanting to, you know, plan our wedding, figure out a date, figure out a venue, what do we like, what we don't like? And so one of our good friends, she happens to be a event planner slash wedding planner, and we're like, you know what, let's just meet with her. Let's let's talk her through what we're looking for, some rough guidelines of you know, what we expect and what we'd like to have, and you know, credit to our wedding planner. She she took she took it and started to run with it and started just booking us at all these places.
Speaker 3: And we're like, oh, wow, this is happening really.
Speaker 2: To go see to go.
Speaker 5: To go see exactly exactly, and we had, you know, explicitly shared with her. Hey, this is, this is our budget for the wedding. Like what we want to focus on. Priority number one is getting our house together or getting a house, and then second is like a wedding is awesome, but we'll see like if it could fit into what makes.
Speaker 3: Sense for us.
Speaker 5: And long story short, our lovely planner is like, hey, what with what you guys want to do, it's not going to be possible. And with this venue that you guys do really like, just know you're going to go a lot over your budget. And so Kate and I just like we pondered on it for a week and we're like, does not feel good to just go so into this venue? Would we've already established what our priorities are, which is buying a house and not you know, a down payment for one day, you know, So we we backed out of the contract, not saying we're done with wedding planning. We've actually gone further in other areas, but we're just we couldn't do that. I don't know, like it's so crazy nowadays.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Okay, So basically that was an in touch headline. Now you guys can see what goes behind the scenes of an in touch headline.
Speaker 1: I mean, Zach, very easy question, I think before we kind of dive into some other topics. Would you marry Katie tomorrow if if was an option.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, so we are.
Speaker 5: I don't know if like kids wants me to talk about this, but we're planning to get a looped very soon, so like very soon, and then we'll figure out like celebration and all that, like the glits and the glamour. But yes, oh we're it's not a matter of like when it's it's like the other stuff and like wanting to have all the family from all over come for it.
Speaker 1: So which enters me down this kind of path that I'm super curious about with you and tell and tell me when I'm wrong. You were the Bachelor, you went through the whole season. It kind of felt like, as I was watching your time on the show, this never felt right to you. It almost felt like somebody had forced you to become the Bachelor, Like it was never like a comfortable, Oh I love this whole experience kind of thing. And then we get off the show and kind of the truth or how we see who this person actually is is what they do after the show, And you very immediately went further away from the spotlight. Like you didn't try to do any of it. You didn't hardly want to do a media circuit. You just were happy in your relationship and that you found love on the show. And so my question for you is, how did they convince you to take this role as the lead? And how do you view the whole thing now? Look, I mean, you're not that far far removed, but it feels, I guess from a public's perception, that you're very far removed from this whole experience.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: No, So I'll start with how I got into this. So it started with the Bachelorette. So being on the Bachelorette. It had happened from a good buddy of mine who happened to be on Michelle young season, Daniel Totley. He goes on the show, he's there for you know, a few weeks. I'm about six months out of my last serious relationship, and he's like, hey, man, give this thing a shot, Like this is unreal. I made a bunch of great buddies and like, what a cool experience. And I was at a point in my career where I was like, you know what, I could take a little break from my sales job here, I've kind of felt like I needed something to refresh it. So I try dis bachelorette thing that my mom and sisters love, you know. I thought it'd be kind of cool to surprise and if I did it. But then I get further in the process and I'm like, Okay, this is like kind of cool, unique, and the Bachelorette happens and obviously it doesn't work out for us. Then I am I'm initially asked about would you be interested in being the Bachelor? And I initially was so traumatized from the first experience on the Bachelorette, was like I need to take a breather. I need to just like figure out what I just did. This hasn't even like aired yet, what's going to happen? And so it was a little bit just of a back and forth of like I like I already went back to my job at Oracle right after the Bachelorette, Like it was a week period of when I went home to see my family and then I was already back in the office, like nothing changed. But after speaking with some of the executive producers, talking with Mike Slice at the time, you know, they did make it sound really appealing, but there was also the other side of it of yes, like like we'd like you to give this a shot, but then they also do the but we're also considering other people as well, and we don't know where this is going to go. So I was like, Okay, this is like low risk, like it's probably not going to be me anyway. So to be completely transparent, I don't know if I can say this, like I didn't know I was going to be the pastor till about an hour before they announced me.
Speaker 3: Live on TV.
Speaker 5: So I never really had a full process of I am going to do this and I am going to be this. It was always like there's other people that are potentially going to be it, So I'm like cool, like whoever you know deserves it or gets it, like best of luck, I'd be cool if it's me, but if not, no worries. Because I lived through the process and I felt those real feelings that I could see it, I'm like, oh, it could work for me. But also I never got that confirmation until literally live on TV of like no, now you're in this position. So then it was like an oh, like what did I sign up for? Like now it's real. I had no time to process at all. So then yeah, yeah, that's how I got to that point of being in it.
Speaker 4: If you could go back, you don't have to tell us. You don't have to tell us what actually happened, because I know everybody's always talked about you and Rachel and what happened in the Fantasy Suite and you're like, oh, that's antichlomagic, blah blah blah. We just didn't agree. We just were not compatible. And I totally can see how that happens in the Fantasy Suite and how like it actually was probably anti colomatic. But anyway, what I want to ask about is from your season, if there's one storyline that did not appear on TV the way it really unfolded, what was it?
Speaker 3: Oh my god? From our seat, is there.
Speaker 4: Anything that like you like stay awake and you're like, oh, that was so frustrating or not anymore, you know, maybe you could sleep now, But like right after the fact, you were like, oh man, I can't believe that America thinks it happened like that.
Speaker 5: I mean there's a lot when I like look back at I'm like, oh my god, how did I get in that position.
Speaker 3: Why did I do or say that? But one that was maybe misconstrued.
Speaker 5: Was I mean, it's just like a little like it's a little tiny part in it, but it always kind of like gets brought up sometimes in like real life or or or whatnot. It was like during like the COVID point when when I had COVID and there's like a situation where like Greer and I are talking and then you know, I get ambassed as like oh, this guy's in it.
Speaker 3: Well she's she's trying to.
Speaker 5: Relate, and I like completely look back and I'm like, yeah, I know. If I was a viewer, I'd be like, yeah, that guy, that guy did not handle that well, Like why yeah that there's they didn't show everything and what I could like, she's great, I'm happy. I hope she's doing whatever she's doing wherever she's living, like nothing but the best. I think Kate and her are still friends. But that is not where, not truly how things went down. Like if you were there, you know, it was like there was nothing there's no bad intent from me and there was no intent for her. It was just like bad timing and we both misread the situation and it was like a good moment for good TV. So I guess it was so awkward and plus I'm like, yeah, I'm like trying try not to cough out a long I'm sick, and she later gets sick about like less than a week later. So yeah, it was just pure chaos, the panic that was going on when we're trying to figure out how we're going to do a ceremony. Virtually I wanted to cancel it that like we can't. We got our deadlines and it was it was bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was definitely.
Speaker 1: It was definitely lumpy, like it had like its like weird moments. And I remember watching the season in the moment with Greer, like you kind of gone on this like, oh this is working. This is a nice guy, and like he has some incredible women, right, Like we can name a lot of the women from Katie to Gabby to to a Reel Ariel to Greet, Like you had some standouts and we're like, this is gonna be good. And I remember that Greer moment felt like from an audience perspective from when we were breaking down almost Famous podcast, like it felt like your season all all of a sudden didn't go downhill as a season, but it went downhill for you as a lead, like it kind of it felt like chaos kind of then started swirling around you as the lead, which made great TV, probably didn't feel good for you.
Speaker 5: I mean, like that's one thing that I had to adjust to. And you don't feel it in the moment. You don't feel like it's like a spiral in the moment or a downhill feeling. You're like, okay these are as. The weeks go on, more decisions have to be made, Tougher decisions have to be made on both parties, So like we all know it's gonna get harder as it gets closer to the end. But then like, yeah, watching it, I could see that that would be a part where you're like, oh, this is the start of the typical bachelor drama that's going to happen.
Speaker 3: It's gonna happen.
Speaker 5: But yeah, no, it's just like as you both know, like there's yeah, sixteen to twenty hours of filming a day and they that's it for like a nice hour and a half episode.
Speaker 3: There is so much that it has missed.
Speaker 5: Yeah there is there is, but yes, you're right, it did. It hit a little bit of a chaotic point.
Speaker 1: I don't remember, actually might I don't remember the context for this really long quote. But back in the day, Nick Vile did come out and call you, and I don't know if he's done this with any other Bachelor, but for whatever reason, the context again I forget, he called you a total dick was his quote. Do you remember the context for that? How did you respond to that? How does that make you feel? Because I don't remember what would have been done other than the final week when you did say that you were going to be selling bit. Obviously that became a storyline because it didn't happen.
Speaker 2: I'm guessing that's when this quote came out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it's funny, first off, to hear it coming from Nick Vayel to call someone else to dick, Like, that's comedic to me.
Speaker 3: But I don't know.
Speaker 5: I think I rubbed just a lot of people the wrong way. I know I rubbed you, Ashley the wrong way. When we first met.
Speaker 2: I think, oh, really, tell us more what happened?
Speaker 5: We had like a podcast like a I think it was this same type of podcast, or maybe it's just you and I Ashley.
Speaker 4: No, I remember there was a moment.
Speaker 3: Because like I think you were. I was.
Speaker 5: I was in the depth of the otis like the boring bachelor. This guy's robot, Like who is he? And I think you Ashley were like reading like quotes like that like kempting, like yeah, are you going to be boring?
Speaker 3: Like is this like?
Speaker 5: And it was just kind of like I perceived it as like condescending, and we had like a weird energy at first, and I was like, Oh, this actually girl like I She's not she's not liking me, Like Okay, I got you.
Speaker 4: I remember when I met you in real life. We guys like so different.
Speaker 3: Than what I thought.
Speaker 5: We had a whole car ride in Santa Barbara for like three hours to go to the airport, and this has to be so awkward. That would be so awkward.
Speaker 4: No, it wasn't, because we had already like hung out earlier in the week.
Speaker 2: I would have loved to be sitting in the backseat like this is awesome.
Speaker 4: But I was going off of it from like a fans point of view because Ben and I have been like so removed from the show and because of like the COVID reasons at that time, like we hadn't really met a lot of people in real life. So we started watching the show and talking about it like TV, you know, we're like, we're just people commenting on what we see.
Speaker 5: Totally, and then I get that, and then for me, it was still such a fresh feeling of like oh wow, like hearing negative perspectives on me, Like it was the first time I've ever been in the public light, and it's like it's a lot to take in at first. Now I'm I'm so far removed or used to it or whatnot. But no, I it like with the Nick Bayle thing, which yeah, I don't know if he's largely known to critique, I don't know. I think it just leads into the I was not what maybe a lot of viewers wanted to see because like I was very like I had it one goal and it was to find my partner. Yeah, there's crazy stuff that happened and things I did completely wrong, things I mismanaged, But I mean I'd love to see someone perfect do it absolutely perfect without any little hinges. Shout out to Joey because he pretty much did that.
Speaker 4: Okay, Joey was one of the perfect Bachelor's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I will say that, zu you may talk.
Speaker 4: You may have been truly the bachelor that was there for the most good reasons. You were there for the most right reasons, even Ben, Like you know, Ben, I feel like you liked the Spotlight more than Zad.
Speaker 1: Definitely definitely like the Spoley more than Zac did. Yeah, I still talk about the show for a living. Yes, very much, very much owned the bachelor role more than Zac did.
Speaker 2: Or zachly.
Speaker 4: Would you consider your biggest mistake during your experience to be the way that you laid out that you weren't going to sleep with anybody before the fantasy suites?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Oh, absolutely, Well a lot of the reasoning behind, like how I got to that point was like a factor of wanting to people please, meaning not wanting to hurt anyone in this like really pivotal part of this season, like right up to the engagement where you know, there's you know, it's it's the three Overnights, the three fantasies like that's and then right next door is engagement and wanting to keep everyone happy and not trying to muddy the waters, and you know, talking to my good friend Sean Lowe and listening to hey, Sean, how did you do this? Like, you're happily married with beautiful family. How did you crack the code? Because everything I've ever seen is like a lot of messy relationships and they never end up working. How do I be different? Because like, I want this to work. He talked me through on you know, how we viewed the final weeks, and I was like, oh my god, like that is that's a smart reason.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 5: What I didn't inquire or asked more about was like the reasoning behind it, and for him it was religious purposes. That's why I was just doing it on the fact of like I think, you know, put on my you know, got on my high horse. I think everyone will appreciate this if we, you know, don't muddy the waters and we just like just keep going the best best way we can. And what I didn't take into account was what do the women want, Like it's also them at the end of the day, of like what do they want to or want to they want or need to go further in this process? And I kind of just made a blanket statement said now let's just keep this messing. That's that's where I completely went wrong. I did not leave it up for it to be like a conversation and discussion. I was I had the intention of not wanting to hurt anyone, but in reality it ended up hurting more.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 5: Yes, to answer your question in a long winded fashion, yeah, yeah, I would totally change that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Zach.
Speaker 1: Obviously, life now, as we've talked about the beginning of the show, is very much on a trajectory of relatability or normalcy or whatever kind of when you want to call it. Your fiance has been amazing. I think it's it's admirable, it's cool, it's it's really special because you don't see it very often at keeping close friendships with others from your season, How does.
Speaker 2: That feel to you?
Speaker 1: Do you then keep close relationships? Has it ever gotten awkward?
Speaker 4: We're talking about Gabby, We're talking about Katie's friendship with Gabby and other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you see her out on girls' trips with.
Speaker 5: Other Oh yeah, yeah, they're actually planning another one and Dan actually, like I think the book did it. I think they're going Montana or something in a few months. So, like they are still very close in the beginning. Yeah, initially I felt a little like this is kind of crazy, like nerve racking, but like, kudos to you, Kate, like for keeping your friendship and with everyone, Like I'm so happy for you, Like that's awesome that you are all mature and can handle that, Like I'm more nervous. And it was funny. We actually, I think it was early last year. I had been planning a buddy's trip a couple guys from from college, and Kate thought I was leaving on a Thursday to a Sunday, and so she's like, oh, I'm gonna have some of the Bechelor girls stay at her house and stay in Austin. I was like, okay, great, have fun. Well she got the dates mixed up. I actually left on Friday and she invited everyone to come in on Thursday, and so we all spent the night under one roof watching movies. There was like five of the girls from the show and we're like making hot chocolate. We're having this complete like just relaxing night. Yeah, it was a girl's night, totally fun. But we were thinking, like, wait, a lot of people that are like super die hard about this show would lose their mind that we're all hanging.
Speaker 3: Out right now. We didn't let anyone know.
Speaker 5: It was like everybody but and then after that, I was like, oh no, like it's it's totally cool, it's normal. And then I've seen I've seen them since, like I'll still see Charity and Dawnton, see Ariel, I'll see you know, Gabye will come by like it's it's it's it's casual and normal, not as weird anymore.
Speaker 4: You and Katie I'm going to crown as the most sure characters on the show.
Speaker 3: Ah, I'll take that. Thank you, Ashley. We've come like full circle from since we've met.
Speaker 2: So I know so much respective it feels.
Speaker 1: It feels like things are really good, Zach. In your world post Bachelor time, I still will say no matter what anybody wants to argue with me. One of the most iconic scenes of any season ever is you and Katie sitting in the rain, in the middle of a jungle where it looks like you should be full of snakes and everything else, having a very intense conversation. And all I can think about the whole time was can the show not get these people a room?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Can they just not sit down and have this conversation a place that doesn't look miserable? It was something that will always stand out to me. Zach, continue best, success, good luck in the relationship and moving forward. Then with the elopement that you said will happen soon, Tell Katie that we wish here our best and can continue to do great things. Until next time, I've been Ben.
Speaker 4: I've been Ashley. See you guys.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Zach, thank you.
Speaker 4: Follow the Ben and Ashley I Almost Famous podcasts on iHeartRadio or subscribe wherever you listen to podcasts.