Speaker 1: Y US intelligence officials are urging Americans to use encrypted communications and what does that really mean? The AI powered glasses that bring the world to life with real time closed captions, the app that transforms your old photos into dynamic video clips. Plus your tech questions answered? What's going on richdmiro And this is Rich on Tech. This is the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer your questions about technology. I believe that tech should be interesting, useful and fun. Let's open up those phone lines at triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Give me a call if you have a question about technology. Email is also an option. Just go to Rich on Tech dot tv and hit contact. Guests this week include Coinbases Philip Martin. He's going to share tips on avoiding online scams and protecting your crypto assets. Then we've got Rob Gelick from Yahoo Male. He's gonna stop by to talk about some of the new features they're adding to the service. And I'm going to have him address the whole transitioning from Cox Email and all these other providers that Yahoo mal now handles.
Speaker 2: You can understand that.
Speaker 1: And then we've got the Vergess smart home expert Jennifer Twey. She is going to talk about matter, the new universal standard for connected devices. Well, I hope you are having a fantastic weekend back in the saddle here. It is the holiday slide, as I call it. We have been busy. I am sure you have been busy as well. It's funny. The holidays are supposed to be a relaxing time, but I feel like for a lot of people, they're very stressful. You know, you're talking to a lot of people, you're seeing family, there's a lot of events that are out late at night, and then you're dragging into work in the morning. So it's all this stuff that kind of comes together. And by the way, it's six season. My wife was like, why does the holiday season have to be during the sick time. We've got a couple of sick people in our house right now. I'm like the last band standing, always like everyone's coughing around me and this and that, and I'm just like, please don't get this, please, So I take my vitamins and that's the best I can do, I guess, right. But anyway, happy holidays to you. Hope you're having a great season. And I'm sure you heard the news about this whole idea of this China spying on us with the text messages and the networks that we have here. Apparently they've gotten some of the sensitive information that we exchange on a daily basis. Of course, this is still under investigation, but you've probably seen the headlines where US intelligence officials are urging Americans to use encrypted communications. Now, before you say I've got nothing a hide, I don't need to worry about this stuff. I'll address that towards the end. But let me explain what this all means. So first off, you know, anytime you're communicating, communicating via email or via text message or browsing the web, you've probably heard of the term encryption, right or encrypted. There's several flavors of encryption. The most prevalent is well number one, no encryption. That's just plain text. That means if I wrote wrote something on a piece of paper and just handed it to you, you could easily read that, no problem, right. And I think we're going to imagine all this stuff as kind of sending a letter to someone so that you can understand it very easily as I can so imagine. No encryption is writing your message on a postcard, right you put it in the mailbox. Anyone that comes across that postcard can read that message because it is out in the open. Then you've got your basic encryption. And this means that your letter is now in an envelope, but it has a pretty unique lock on it, right, and only someone with that lock can unlock it and read that message. But here's the thing. If we're talking about email or your provider, they probably have the key to that. So if the post office wanted to open up your letter and see what's inside, they could do it right because you just seal it with a lick and an envelope and it's very easily sealed. So that's basic encryption. Anyone that's seeing the letter or the envelope, they're not seeing what's inside that envelope. But people have the ability to open up that envelope and see what's in there. But of course, when you're talking about encryption, you'd have to have a key. Then you have what you really want is what's called end to end encryption. So imagine you take that same letter, you put it in an envelope, and then you sort of put this secret, super duper lock on that envelope that not even the post office who's handling this thing can unlock and read. And so that's really the type of encryption that you want for your messaging and your email. But as I'm gonna explain, that's not necessarily.
Speaker 2: What we get. And so that is what we want.
Speaker 1: So what are you getting when you are doing I Message, and this is messages between Apple devices. They do offer end to end encryption, and Apple has been a big proponent of privacy, and this turns out to be a very good thing because the millions upon millions of messages that are sent on a daily basis through I Message are all encrypted. That's when you see a blue bubble. However, if you're sending to a non Apple device, say an Android device, those are not encrypted. And I'll talk about that more in a second here. Now, when you're sending Android to Android, Android just recently got this upgrade to what's called RCS Rich Communication Services, and Google does encrypt that end to end, which means, if you ever notice, if you're texting an Android friend and you're on an Android, you'll notice there's a little lock next to your message, and that means that your message is end to end encrypted. That means that no one, not even Google, can read the message that you are sending to that other person. Not the person, not the wireless provider, not your phone company, no one. No one can read that message, just the person on the other end. Now here's where it gets a little challenging when you're talking about cross platform messaging and group texts. Typically, group texts are not encrypted, especially if they involve a mix of iPhone and Android. And then when you're sending between those platforms, so iPhone to Android, Android to iPhone, those are not encrypted either. Now iPhone recently got that upgrade to RCS, so yes, you can send big photos and files and see the typing indicators when you text someone that's on Android. But Apple did not implement the end to end encryption protocol that they could do. So this is something that Apple could do if they wanted to, but it's something they have not done yet. So just remember, if your same platform, same platform, it's going to be encrypted. Cross platform group message is probably not encrypted. Now what can you do if you want your messages to be the most secure, Well, you can switch to an app that is encrypted and to end by default, and there are two prominent apps that do this. The first is Signal. This is something that's predominantly used by sort of people in the no journalists, high ranking officials. They all know about Signal, And maybe you have a techie in your family that's tried to convince you to switch to Signal, but good luck getting anyone in your family to switch to any third party messaging app.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: So, Signal is end to end encrypted, it is all secure by default. Another app that is also secure by default is WhatsApp, and WhatsApp has always been end to end encrypted, which is super private, and that's on by default for all messages. However, this is owned by Facebook, which some people may not like. They bought WhatsApp. They didn't create WhatsApp, they did purchase it. And also Facebook does collect some metadata, so just because they can't read your messages doesn't mean that they don't know who you're sending them to and some other information surrounding them. Now, there are some other messaging apps out there, like Telegram that's a popular messaging app, and yes, they offer end to end encryption, but you have to toggle it on for every single chat that you want end to end encryption on. That means that if you're not doing that, Telegram can pretty much access the information inside your messages if they wanted to. I'm not saying they're reading them all, but you know they could. And that also potentially means that someone else could access the information of those messages. Facebook Messenger is also another popular messaging app. They also provide end to end encryption, but again you have to do it on a case by case basis, so you have to manually enable it. They call it secret Conversations. Telegram calls it secret chats. So your standard messages on both of these services are not end to end encrypted. So you might be seeing that these are encrypted, but it's not end to end encrypted. So what does this all mean for you? You know, you have to understand the limitations of these services. So if you're using something like I Message shirt, it's encrypted, US an RCS shirt, it's encrypted. If you're using a third party app, it may not be encrypted. And it's really tough to get friends and family to switch to one app where everything is secure. Now here's the big argument I get from people. They say, Rich, I've got nothing to hide. Why do I need my information encrypted? I don't need encryption. I'm not hiding anything. I'm not doing anything wrong, and I don't care who sees my messages. And that is one hundred percent wrong. Now, I'm not going to say that what your thought process is wrong, but I think it's flawed. And here's the reason. Why have you ever taken someone aside at work and said, hey, can we chat for a second? And you know that that conversation is private?
Speaker 2: Right? We do this all the time with people.
Speaker 1: We chat with them, we talk to them, and we have an understanding that what we are saying to that person is private and it's not being recorded, and it's not being shared and it's not public. Could you imagine not having that ever online?
Speaker 4: Ever?
Speaker 1: So Number One, privacy as a fundamental right. Privacy should be a fundamental right of humans, especially as tech takes over more aspects of our lives.
Speaker 2: Misuse.
Speaker 1: Think about how much information you share in your messages and in your email on a daily basis. I mean it's medical information, it's a password that you share with a friend or a family member. There are one time codes that help you access your accounts. I mean, there's so much information that we share on a daily basis that would you want that out there on the front page of the newspaper.
Speaker 2: Probably not.
Speaker 1: Even if it's something that's innocent, you probably don't want it out there. And just in general, when you talk about democracy, you know, we don't want to be in a surveillance society, do we? I mean don't you want to have the ability to protect what you say to someone else, no matter how you're communicating with them, and that includes your online communications. So imagine a US where they said, no, you know what, encryption is illegal, you can't encrypt your messages. How would you feel about that? Absolutely not good. So please don't use the argument that says I have nothing to hide, I don't need encryption, because that really really, uh, it just affects me in a way that like, hold on, you're not understanding the entire side of this. By the way, when you email, if you're using Gmail or any other email program, it's encrypted in transit, but it's not typically end to end encrypted. If you want your email to be fully encrypted, you have to use a service that offers that something like a proton mail. All right eight eight eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. The website rich on Tech dot TV. Your call is coming up next. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you talking technology at Triple eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two.
Speaker 2: Four one zero one.
Speaker 1: Feels good to be back in here this week. I don't even can I say that last week was a repeat?
Speaker 2: Why not? You know what it's done?
Speaker 1: Uh, you know, I get a couple of times a year where I can do a show that's sort of a best of show, and last week after a holiday was one of those shows. So everyone had off. Bobo had off, Kim had off, I had off. Who didn't have off? I think everyone had off? So that was really nice. Did you enjoy your time off?
Speaker 2: Bobo?
Speaker 1: Adam didn't have off. Adam didn't have Adam. Adam had to do the show. So but he did a good job. We were in good hands. So you know, it's one of those things where it feels good to have that time off.
Speaker 2: I did have a good time off. Yeah, it was amazing. I had a chance to help my wife with her side venture. And yeah, she does the candles. Yeah, she makes candles.
Speaker 1: What's her it's it's on Instagram in the aura, in the Aura. Yeah she does. You gave me a couple last year and they smell great. And we have the room spray too, which is really nice.
Speaker 2: I am my kid.
Speaker 1: Actually, Parker has like taken a liking to like straightening up the house. And when he's done straightening everything up, and he does a really great job. He does little sprits of the stuff. It's it's great. Uh let's go to uh Eleana in Berkeley, California.
Speaker 2: You're on with Rich har Rich.
Speaker 5: It's going to talk to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what can I help you with that?
Speaker 5: I love your show.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 5: I am really frustrated because I have at Mobile and I pay for the forty gig and I know they says it slows down after the.
Speaker 3: Forty gig youth.
Speaker 5: I'm currently don't have a wireless because I'm you know, just paying off debt, you know, trying to get rid of before I add another bill in my life blows down. This this unlimited and I also pay them up front too. I paid them like the whole year in advance, and this thing starts slowing down at the two week mark and a buffers terribly. And I just feel like it's like if your test that decided the buff wrap for five hundred bucks and you couldn't accept rate. I just don't think it's fair. It's almost a deal breaker.
Speaker 2: So do you notice it?
Speaker 1: So? Number one, have you looked at your have you done a speed test on your phone?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: No, okay, So what I would do is I would download an app called Meteor met eo R okay, like the like the Comet or like a you know, Heavenly body, the Meteor app, and then I turn off your Wi Fi. You don't have Wi Fi at home? You said, right?
Speaker 4: Not?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so you're running everything through this mint Mobile plan.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Now I have mint Mobile on a test line and I use it, and I okay, so I will tell you I definitely notice a little bit of buffering and a little bit of a slower connection than my standard like ninety dollars a month Horizon connection.
Speaker 2: But you know you have to give and you take.
Speaker 1: You know, mint Mobile is significantly less, and you know the thing is you're paying for that forty But what they don't guarantee necessarily is the speed on that now you should get it. For the most part, let's see if we can find their broadband. They have this thing called Broadband Facts for Mint Mobile, which tells you what your speed is supposed to be. So if we look at this unlimited that's thirty dollars a month, you're supposed to get typical download speeds of seventy nine to three point fifty seven and then typical upload of six to thirty And that's actually across all their plans no matter what. But they also have a network management policy, and so that is what they reserve the right to slow down your services. And so if you're using a ton of data in a place that's very congested, they could slow down your data to help other people make sure that they get their access. And by the way, also one of the big things about these prepaid plans that people don't realize is that they are they are limiting your video quality as well. So you're getting SD video quality no matter what. You can never get HD video quality. So you know, that is a big thing that you have to take into consideration. If you're streaming a lot of stuff on Netflix. According to mint Mobile. They're limiting your streaming to one point five megabits per second, and so that's for ADP, which is basically SD quality. So you have to know, you know, if you're looking at Instagram, you're watching reels and all that kind of stuff, like, it could be slower. But what I would recommend is to kind of monitor this. So Number one, on your smartphone itself, there is a way to reset your cellular data. So go into your settings, look under cellular and you can reset. It says cellular usage statistics on the iPhone. You can press reset statistics and that will start keeping track of how much cellular you are using. So I do that, and then I would do the speed test at the beginning of the month, when your bill cycle starts, do a speed test and see what speed you're getting, and that will tell you if you're actually being slowed down or not. And make sure your WiFi is turned off on your phone. You don't want to be on your Wi Fi. So for instance, right now, I'm just getting twenty two megabits per second on this phone. And this is on a big Verizon plan, so it depends where you are as well. So I would do that do the test a couple times a month, once at the beginning, once in the middle, once at the end, and see if you're getting a completely different speed. And the program will log those speeds as well, so you can look at your history and see what your speeds were.
Speaker 2: But that's what I would do to kind of see what's happening.
Speaker 1: But Elena, I use the mid Mobile, and you know, for the price, I really don't think it can be be. I think they have a pretty good service for the price you're paying. And I love that you're paying off the debt and you're trying to, you know, save the money, so you know, you got to give some, you got to take some, and I think you're you're taking a little bit right now. Eighty eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology. The phone line is eighty to eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. We'll get back to the calls in just a moment here after our guest. The website for the show rich on Tech dot TV. I've made it a little bit easier to keep up with the show notes. You can scroll down on the page this is show number one hundred. Oh wow, look at that Crisp one hundred dollars bill. We've got show number one hundred. And you can also hit the light bulb at the top. There we go, and you can get the show notes in live time. I don't know if you follow the news this week, but I was in Disneyland and I don't know why, but I've just been checking the bitcoin price because it's been kind of like wild lately, and all of a sudden it hit. It crossed one hundred thousand dollars, and you know, my kids all into it and everything, so we were all just like, oh my gosh. And then I run into a friend at Disneyland. It was like an event night, and he's a big bitcoin guy, and I was like, Rob, did you see He's like, see what I'm like, Bitcoin it reached one hundred thousand. He's like what he gave me, like the biggest hug I've ever gotten from this guy.
Speaker 2: And I was like, yeah, that's awesome.
Speaker 1: So bitcoin surpassed one hundred thousand dollars for the first time this week, really cementing in a lot of people's minds, its status as a mainstream financial asset. A lot of people might have dismissed this as a fad in the past, myself included. I will admit I had friends back in the day that we're all into this, and I kind of said, come on, talk to me when it's real. And now, of course people are into it because of you know, our future president and he has embraced cryptocurrency, and of course all the Wall Street investments in this crypto as well.
Speaker 2: So just keep in.
Speaker 1: Mind it is still highly volatile and you know, nothing is guaranteed, but people are excited about this. That all kind of goes into my next guest, Coinbase cso Philip Martin is joining me to talk about some of the things you need to be aware of when it comes to online scams and protecting digital assets.
Speaker 2: Phillip Martin, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 6: Thanks thanks for having me on episode one hundred. Yeah, well it's the Moustone.
Speaker 1: It's fitting one hundred thousand dollars and episode of one or so. Are people just like, are they just cheering at coinbase when it crosses one hundred thousand or what?
Speaker 6: I mean, there's there's always enthusiasm for these moments. But I think one of the things you learned being in an industry like cryptocurrency is there are ups and their downs and they're both going to happen.
Speaker 1: That is very true. I mean, what does that mean to you that it's crossed this number? Does that mean that it's it's good forever or does that mean that it's good right now? I mean, what what does that mean to you?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, I personally don't anchor kane to it to you know, round numbers like this. I think it's great, it's it's a moment to celebrate. It really is very special. But I joined coinbase it was red round six hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: Oh wow.
Speaker 6: So yep, so huge, huge difference. But I think, you know, we're focused on the work ahead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now let's talk about this because crypto has sort of been thrust to the forefront lately in mainstream media and just everywhere online because of these milestones. Obviously, the scammers follow, right, they always are trying to. I always say the scammers are trying to, you know, separate us from our hard earned cash, and crypto is no different. So Number one are you seeing a lot of scams when it comes to cryptocurrency?
Speaker 2: And why sure?
Speaker 6: You know, bad guys like money just like everybody else, right, and we we absolutely when when when price action shows up. The other interesting thing thing to realize is bad guys read the news, right, and so when they see crypto, you know, across the milestone, just like any other asset, Uh, they turn their attention you know more to that asset because they think there's funny there. So so we see scams go go up and down, you know, loosely lined to the price of big cooin. But you know, it's important to note that that we see this across the across all financial instruments, right, that that that are vulnerable to theft.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean people are buying gift cards at Target and sending the code to people. I mean, what's the difference if you're sending money from a you know to a bitcoin wallet number. So what do you think is the I mean, is there like a top scam that you've identified that you can alert people about.
Speaker 6: So scams, it's important to note scams of all the come and go. They change over time, like very frequently, as as scammers of all their tactics I think right now, probably the biggest name the folks bandilot is a scam called pig butchering, which is a type of a romance scam right where scammers build trust, you know, maybe through dating apps places like that, and use that trust to trick a victim into a financial transaction of some sort of the benefits of scammer.
Speaker 2: That's so wild.
Speaker 1: So basically you kind of get you know, you talk to someone, you get to know them, and all of a sudden they're like, hey, can you send me money?
Speaker 2: And people actually do that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, although it's actually much more nuanced than that, right with these these games can take weeks months unpulled, and normally the gamers are actually exploiting some piece of information they've learned about the victim, their desire to buy a house, something like that, and say, hey, you know, I've made a lot of money doing this. I can show you how.
Speaker 7: M M.
Speaker 2: That's interesting.
Speaker 1: So what what steps can we take to kind of, you know, protect ourselves, Like obviously if something sounds too good to be true, but I mean realistically, you know, these people still get victims, So what what do we look out for?
Speaker 6: Yeah, these people are very very good at at their job. Right, So one thing two or three components here that to me always stream scam right when when somebody is creating a sense of urgency in you. And by the way, this is also important to think about in sales interactions in general, when someone is writing that sense of burned if you have to do it right now, now, now, now, now, That to me is is a moment that I want to slow down right and ask myself, why is it so important that this happened right now? What they what do they want me to not see? The second thing I would say is it's it's very impos when you're interacting with somebody who's who perhaps encouraging you to make a financial decision or pang voice. If that person is encouraging you not to talk to friends and family about it, is in fact trying to isolate that decision to just you and them. That's also a very important warning sign. You shouldn't be able to talk to friends and family about important financial decisions that you're going to make.
Speaker 2: MM. That's interesting.
Speaker 1: So if they're trying to trying to urge you into doing something fast and also trying to make you not consult someone else. I mean it sounds like you're talking about buying a car. That's like, yeah, this literally sounds like the tactics at the car dealership.
Speaker 6: There is a very small difference between the tactics a scammer might use and the tactics an aggressive salesperson might use. They're all trying to drive you to an outcome that's good for them and not good for you necessarily.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Now, I've also heard about a lot of you know, stories where people either lose access to their crypto wallet or you know that once they send money to someone, they can't get it back. In this this situation, can you address those two things like can you recover money if you send it to someone? And also, you know, what do we need to do to make sure that when we set up an account and buy crypto we don't lose access to that account?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Those are those are great questions. So so first of all, is on the can you can you recover money that you send somewhere else? You the the the consumer of the individual, the person that that sent the funds uh no is the is the base of answer. Much like a wire transfer or if you put a gift card in the mail, or whatever right that those funds have already left. Now, this goes into how important it is the contact law enforcement. You believe you were the victim of a scam, fraud, of theft, whatever it is, and report to your local police department, report it to IC three, which is a thing run by the FBI. They do look at these Uh. It is important that that we do reach out because they have tools that you know, the average the average individual doesn't, and they go after these criminal groups that are largely based outside the US. Southeast Asia in particular is a focus area. There has been success in law enforcement as they're bringing these groups to justice, being able to access those funds and in some cases getting those funds back to two victims. Now, I don't want to create the the the the impression that this happens one hundred percent of the time. It absolutely does not. But it is a possibility, got it.
Speaker 1: And what about the second half of getting your money back?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 2: You know, if you lose your if.
Speaker 6: You lose it, yeah, so this this you know, one of the promises of bitcoin and cryptocurrency in general is you can be your own bank, right, you do not have to use a third party to customer your assets. Part of being your own bank is making sure that you have backups in place that you can access these funds when you need them, even if something bad happens, even if God forbid your house burns down, or if something else catastrophic happens. And so, if you're going to custody your own bitcoin, protect your own keys, control your own keys in that way, and by no means do I dissuade anyone from doing that. You have to start thinking about, uh, you know, more than just oh, I'm going to open the app and it's all it's all going to be there. You have to start thinking about worst case scenarios were people that use. This is why people use platforms like coinbase. Right, we offer a self custodial app called coin based Wallet, but we also offer a website coinbas dot com, in which you know you're you're not custody in keys, you're not putting backups, in which case there are processes if you forget your password, things like that that we can help you as a third party, get those funds back. So really is a trade off that that everyone should be thinking about where they fall on that spectrum.
Speaker 2: Okay, got it?
Speaker 1: So there are two different ways of doing it, like where you kind of control the entire situation, or using a third party like a coinbase or another app like to be almost your bank or your wallet for this information. Uh, Philip, what uh what gets you excited about all this?
Speaker 2: What? What's you know? What's keeping you going on this crypto stuff?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: You know, I've been coining I'm going a coinbase, uh about eight and a half years, uh low grade and half years now at this point. And there's a couple of things that really really excite me. One is just the amount of innovation in how financial transaction to work and run globally. How quickly this has evolved, how many new things are showing up, I think is just a true order of magnitude larger than any other time that at least certainly the you know that I've been alive, and I think we can look back in history and call it at least one hundred probably more years too, And that I think adds ads efficiency, It adds effectiveness. It speaks to constituencies that have been historically under unbanked, not just in the US, but also globally. Right, the idea that a a someone who is who's built a thing in Nigeria or in you know, or in South America now has the ability through crypto to transact with a global audience without having to figure out cross border transfers and all that stuff. I don't know if you've tried to send money internationally, Rich in the recent past, but it is it is not an easy proposition. That level of economic freedom and opportunity really is unprecedented I think in modern history.
Speaker 2: All Right, we're going to leave it there. Very exciting stuff.
Speaker 1: Coinbase Chief security Officer Philip Martin, thanks so.
Speaker 2: Much for joining me today.
Speaker 1: Thanks Rich all right eighty eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Coming up, I will tell you about the app that transforms your photos into a video clip. I'll explain right here on rich On Tech. Welcome back to rich On Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology. The phone line is eight eight eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. So there is a new feature of the my Heritage app. This is the DNA service. Have you ever had your DNA done? I did a long time ago. It's probably in some server somewhere percolating with all my information. Someone someone making another rich on tech out of my DNA somewhere, copy, copy paste, There we go. Why would you want that though, I mean, let's be real.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 1: They have a new feature called live Memory. This uses AI to turn your photos into a short video clip about a five second video clip, complete with like animation and not just like the person moving, it's like the whole situation. So if you know it's an old picture of like two people getting married, it might show them like walking down the aisle a little bit, or like whatever, you know, whatever the image is trying to capture, it will kind of move, make that move.
Speaker 2: It's really interesting thing.
Speaker 1: I tried this with a couple of photos of my old you know, in my collection.
Speaker 2: It's eerie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's weird, but you know, it's kind of cool. You might as well try it out. I mean it's free for about I think three videos you can try for free, and if you want to do more than that you have to pay. But again, it's called live memory, it's from my Heritage. It's inside the iOS or Android app. Takes a little bit for it to generate because it's literally making a video clip, but if you want to link to that, you can go to the website.
Speaker 2: Richon tech dot TV.
Speaker 1: There is a watermark on the videos to make sure people know that they are AI generated and they're calling them reenactments. So if you have a picture of like a kid taking the nineteen fifties on a bike, it will show that kid like sort of riding the bike. You got to try it out. I mean, it's really it's weird, you know, but this is the beginning of AI. It's not always perfect.
Speaker 2: Let's go to Let's go to Michelle in Glendale. Michelle, you're on with rich Hi.
Speaker 3: Hi, Hi, I have a question regard I had a Yahoo email and then when my accounts were hacked, I had to change the password. So when I changed the password back in July, and then when I and then after that, when I tried to go into that email, they said that that password was not was an incorrect password, and so they had to ask me to reset the password. And I tried to reset the password, and then they wanted me they wanted me to put the code, so they sent me the code in my text into my phone, and then I did, and then they wanted another form of authentication by having to send it to another Google email, and that Google email I couldn't also get in because that was also hacked. So I tried all the passwords that I could think of and it was exhausted. So I want and then they they I called the number of Yahoo and they said that I would have to pay how much? So I actually didn't ask. I should have asked, but I was when my accounts were severely hacked by Router was hacked back in April, including my computer phone emails. I was told by the police that whenever you're trying to call someone for customer support on a phone number usually begins with eight hundred and they ask you to pay. Don't do it because that's how my accounts were scammed back in April.
Speaker 1: Right now, this this happens a lot. People google phone numbers and they call whatever the first you know search result that pops up. And a lot of times these scam artists will either buy an AD that has a phone number in the ad. It I'll say, hey, tech support for you know, Spectrum, and I'll have a phone number in there that's a total bogus number, or they'll you know, set up a website and that has a phone number. So that is a good idea. So my question for you is do you need this email account? How badly do you need?
Speaker 3: Well, the thing is, I really badly need to retrieve into my email because I cannot, okay, because when when my accounts were had, I made a report to the senior leed officer in the North Hollywood Police station and I forgot to print it because and so I need that report that I did to him in order to add that to my report to FBI, because I was told by the when I reported it to Federal Trade Commission, they also told me to also report this what happened, you know, not to FBI. But and I started doing the report to FBI, and one of the things that they ask is if I have any documents?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, Well it sounds like, okay, sounds like you need to get into this email to get a copy of your police report. I would also just maybe call you know. I'm looking online at LAPD. It looks like they've got a you know, a Record Records and Identification Division.
Speaker 2: I doubt.
Speaker 1: I mean, I understand that you probably have the number of the police report, which is probably like key to getting it quickly. But I would call them and see if you can get that from them and just tell them your name and information. I'm sure you can get that. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to. So that's number one. When it comes to the email account, and you know you're wondering about this, Yahoo should you pay to talk to them for the support that they offer? So Yahoo, does you know if you need to reset your password? I'm looking at the Yahoo Plus support right and we're actually going to have the Yahoo general manager for email on later in the show and I'll talk to him about this. But they offer, you know, free support for the free accounts, but they also have a paid service where you can get a little bit more help, and that runs anywhere from about five to ten dollars a month. So in this case, it might be worth it if you need to get through to that email address. But always be careful when calling a randome Hunter number. Make sure you're on the Yahoo dot com official support site before you call any number and before you pay any money. This is rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you talking technology at Triple eight. Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four two four one zero one. The website for the show rich on tech dot TV. If you want links to anything I mentioned, just hit the light bulb at the top. You can also sign up for my free newsletter there, and you can also email me through the website. It's all at richon tech dot TV. Amazon is bringing back it's driver program where you can thank your driver and give them five bucks at no cost to you. So all you have to do is gosh, if I say this on the radio, it's probably gonna Alex say thank my driver. Or you can just search thank my driver on the Amazon app and whoever completed your last delivery will get five bucks. Now, keep in mind this is limited to the first two million thank yous, So when I did it last night, they still said your driver got five dollars. So if it doesn't say that, you know, it only works once, by the way, per customer. I don't think you can do this over and over, but kind of cool. I don't know about you, but I actually love the holiday season like I love tipping people.
Speaker 2: I really do.
Speaker 1: It's like this weird thing that I actually I tipped my gardener the other day, and he actually was like, you made a mistake.
Speaker 2: You paid me too much. I said, dude, it's the holidays.
Speaker 1: I go enjoy the money, Like come on, like, how do you like don't you know, just enjoy it? Like people well, you know, they're taking a back sometimes with you know, a generosity during this holiday season. So I don't I find it really fun. I really do. I find it like I save money throughout the year so that I can tip people at the end of the year, and I just love that, Like it's like a direct smile that you get from them because of what you're doing. And honestly, people aren't necessarily used to it anymore. You know, people are always trying to you know, we're so used to that tipping at like a you know, someone grabs a muffin from behind the counter and then they flip around the screen and they expect to tip. That part I can be angry about, right, but I could still enjoy tipping people that I feel help me. And so there's there's a difference there, right, Like that kind of that forced tip versus the enjoyable tip. So anyway, there you go, Alex, say, thank my driver. You can send them a tip, and that's cool. We went to the new Into It Dome here in Los Angeles. The newest arena is called the Into It Dome. It's the home of the Clippers, and it's like super high tech. I mean, obviously Into It is a Techi come company. Steve Balmer is the owner of the Clippers, and so he's a very techy guy, you know, one of the founders of Microsoft. And so this was a very tech forward arena. And finally had the it just opened, I don't know, a couple months ago, maybe just had the opportunity to go. But here's a thing. It's almost too techy even for my taste. Let me explain why when you get a ticket to this arena, you cannot just number one.
Speaker 2: There's no paper.
Speaker 1: Tickets anymore for any arena, right, It's like everything's digital. Everything is tracked through ticket Master and all these different ticketing things. It's all like that. And by the way, you can't even use a screen capture. It has to be like the actual like live barcode. Like if you look at some of these ticket barcodes, there's like a kit like night rider like thing moving across the barcode every second saying like, don't you dare try to screenshot.
Speaker 2: This is not gonna work.
Speaker 1: And so with this particular into it dome, you have to sign up, download their app, sign up for an account, and then link your ticket Master account and then everything happens through the app. So you got to give a all of your information like your date of birth, your nickname, and just your face if you want. I think the face is optional for facial recognition throughout the place. But if you don't do that, you have to add their card to your digital wallet. So like if you have Apple Wallet or Google Wallet, you have to add like a card so that you can tap for that. So it's like this whole big thing and you have to save your payment method. I mean, it's a really it's a little invasive if you ask me. But and so I kind of grumbled. But then here's once you get your tickets. So, for instance, we had four tickets to the event. Once you open up your tickets in the app, it says, by the way, every single person must have their own phone with their own ticket on that phone. I was like, wait, what even my kids? So there is an option very small print that says you can designate someone as a like a what was it called dependent I think, and you can assist them by using your phone to scan their ticket, which of course I did for my whole family. I was like, they're not gonna ask any questions, like come on. But anyway, once you get into the actual arena, it's amazing, and I understand all the technology because everything is sort of that like just walk out technology where you go and you grab something off a shelf and it recognizes either your face or your phone and it charges the payment method on record. Now, not everyone's gonna like that, but it is cool. And I noticed too there's a lot of cameras everywhere, so the facial recognition is like off the charts at this place, which, again, it's cool, it's different, it's unique. But as a person who is a lover of technology but also kind of critical of technology at the same time, I can understand why every single person that walks into this place would not want all of their information in some sort of database somewhere, which at the end of the day, what do you think that's going to be used for. It's gonna be to market stuff to you, right in a million different ways. So anyway, but once you're in there, really really cool, and it did use my nickname when I scan my phone, it was like, hey, welcome rich On Tech, and I thought that was pretty cool. So have some fun with your with your nickname there. Let's go to Kathy in uh Linnwood. Kathy, You're on with.
Speaker 8: Rich Hi rich On Tech. How are you?
Speaker 2: I am doing fantastic? How are you?
Speaker 8: I'm I'm hanging in.
Speaker 1: There, hanging in there. Oh no, okay, let's let's talk. What do you need to help with?
Speaker 8: Okay, I have a challenge. I am trying to figure out what is the best thing for me to do right now. Both my daughter and I heard you speaking of the I don't know how new it is. I'm going to say new a I Meta ray band.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, okay.
Speaker 8: So, but you also had mentioned something that that there is a couple other companies but the specialty I wear, but that the ray bands were the cheapest. So I started looking into those, which I have an inherited eye disease that at this particular point in my life I still can see, but it's very difficult. I'm considered legally blind.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, this is something that recently happened like that developed.
Speaker 8: Yeah, inherited. Okay, it's got this weird name. It's called Retinitis pigmentosa.
Speaker 2: Okay, well say that ten times fast.
Speaker 8: I know RP for short.
Speaker 1: Okay, there you go. It's much easier to say.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 8: So my challenge is, you know, I was trying to learn about these ray bands and I have Can I say the insurance comempany sure Kaiser permanente Okay, I've heard of them, Okay. So I have been seeing their I specialists for like five years. It's been a progressive thing and they're low vision specialist. And I called a couple of days ago and nobody knew anything about these AI meta ray bands. So I have been educating them. Even the low vision specialists that I see didn't know anything about it.
Speaker 2: Really wow, Yeah, she.
Speaker 8: Had to ask her manager about it. They all turned me down, even though I told them that it should be a durable medical equipment.
Speaker 1: Oh, I see you're talking for for sort of like a uh uh where they cover the cost of these glasses.
Speaker 8: Right, okay, because I you know, this would help my life. And I'm actually in a group on Facebook called Retinitis Pigmentosa okay, and it's people who have this inherited eye disease and they're from all over the world.
Speaker 1: Gotta love technology, right, Yeah, yeah, that's an incredible uh connection.
Speaker 8: People are so excited about it, and they're getting them and actually some of the people their insurance companies are paying for it. Oh wow, yeah etna.
Speaker 1: Okay, well here here's the deal. So we're run out of time, so I think you're you're okay. So Number one, yes, I think that the smart glasses from ray Ban Meta they are not marketed as a medical device, but I think people are finding a lot of use in them as something that can really the visually impaired, right, So I think that's number one, is that these haven't been made as an FDA approved medical device.
Speaker 2: That's number one.
Speaker 1: There are other companies that are working on these types of glasses that are specifically for assistance for the visually impaired, but they're thousands of dollars versus the ray Band Metas, which are a couple hundred dollars. What I would do is, I would I think that there's a gray area here, Kathy, where you can probably make your case for these glasses and get the reimbursement but I think the problem is, and I don't know this, but I feel like the insurance companies are working under a framework from the government perhaps of what they're allowed to reimburse on what they're not. But maybe I would say, if you just push and push and push, you can get it through. But I'm not a medical expert, so I don't know. The other thing is that you know, again, the price is not that expensive, so maybe do something like a GoFundMe or you know, collection, or it is the holidays coming up, friends and family, maybe all chip in to get to a pair of these glasses. Uh, you know, about three hundred and fifty dollars for those glasses, so compared to the thousands of dollars that these other glasses cost. You know, that's a great, you know, a great savings there. So but also check out you know, chat GPT and and write some letters. Come up with you know, talk to chat GIBT and say, hey, look, I'm trying to convince my insurance company to pay for these glasses or to reimburse me, and see what it comes up with. It may come up with some pretty compelling letters that you may able may be able to send to your insurance company and you know, stay on them and see what you can do about it. But yes, the ray Band Meta smart glasses very very incredible, and I think they're only going to get better. And I did see the be my Eyes integration in them in addition to the other stuff they do that's in the app now as like a you know, a beta thing.
Speaker 2: So great question.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much Kathy for the question there in Lynwood, California. Eight eight eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four two four one zero one. More rich on Tech coming your way right after this. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology. The phone line is open at eight eight eight rich one oh one phone lines, I should say eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Website for the show richon Tech dot tv. There you can sign up for my newsletter, you can email me, and of course get links to anything that I mentioned here on the show. This is episode one hundred. Just hit the light bulb up at the top that will bring you direct to the show notes. This week, Walmart completed their two point three billion dollar acquisition of Visio, so Walmart now owns Visio. They're going to continue to let this company operate separately, but you're gonna see a lot of synergy. Number One, when you walk into a Walmart story, you'll see a lot of Visio TVs these in the upcoming days. So why does Walmart want Visio? Walt all about advertising? Visio has a very robust AD system that they build into their televisions. They also have this smart cast, which is their free AD supported streaming platform. Many other companies have these as well. Amazon, I think is probably the biggest competition here in Roku, and so this will position Walmart to compete with them a little bit more closely because guess what, When Walmart knows what you're watching, they can target more promotions to you, and they know what you're shopping for in the store.
Speaker 2: So you see, there's a lot of synergy there now.
Speaker 1: I think for consumers, the good news is that Visio, which has already been very very affordable over the years, will probably continue to get even more affordable because now they've got Walmart, one of the biggest logistics in supply chain folks in the world. They will find some ways to save money on manufacturing these TVs and getting them into all the stores, and so I think as a consumer, the Visio product will be even less expensive. But again, this is all kind of to go up against Amazon. I was watching Thursday Night football and every single ad is a QR code or some kind of thing that you can scan or shop. It's all about shoppable. So tracking and shopping is the name of the game. Bobo question from the class.
Speaker 2: Yes, from the class, mister Demiro. I was wondering, like, so would that mean Target stop selling video or Amazon stop selling video?
Speaker 1: See, that's a good question because you know it's in videos. Like they just paid two point three billion dollars for this company. Yeah, and so of course they don't want to be in less places. So I think that they will continue to sell these TVs because if you think about it, Amazon products are in all those stores as well. You go into a I don't know about Walmart. I don't if they have fire TV in Walmart, but they Actually that doesn't make sense now that I think about it. Walmart, why would they want to stock a fire TV exactly if you have your own TV brand now. But I think in Target specifically, they do sell Amazon stuff, and that's a big competitor to Target and Best Buy. Yeah, so it's it's an interesting question. Really good uh really gold star for you Bobo today.
Speaker 2: Great question.
Speaker 1: But that's you know, it's one of those things where if they stop selling these TVs and other places, that's not a good thing because they paid so much for this acquisition. Uh eighty eight Rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Let's go to uh Dustin in Hermosa beach. Dustin, you're on with Rich?
Speaker 6: What stop? Rich, Bobo?
Speaker 10: How's it going Fellas?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're doing great. What what can we help you with?
Speaker 6: Okay?
Speaker 9: So I've been like metal detecting on the beach and I've been trying to stream.
Speaker 2: It, right, okay, Well that's interesting.
Speaker 9: Get like no service out there, so I start lagging. So I'm wondering, So I bought this like Nighthawk M six tether hotspot, right okay. But then I'm like wondering if should I just get starlink because they got a sale right now, Like what would you wreck?
Speaker 10: Men?
Speaker 2: Well, how would you get starlink?
Speaker 1: I mean, are you are you doing this like in front of a place you have on the beach, or is this like mobile.
Speaker 9: I'm just mobilely just walking around, you know, just walking around the beach and want to stream.
Speaker 2: And you're streaming.
Speaker 1: So is this like a YouTube channel you have or a TikTok or something that you're doing.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I'm doing it on TikTok and I added him put on YouTube and Instagram and stuff.
Speaker 2: And do you find some cool stuff?
Speaker 9: No, not yet, but now I've had a couple of rings. But you know, it's usually like bottle caps and stuff like that. But it's fun, you know.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, here's my question. I don't know if you can walk around with a starlink. That is the main thing. Because and by the way, cell phone signal on beaches around Los Angeles is notoriously horrific because guess what if you got a ten million dollar house on the beach, you probably don't want that. You know, cell phone tower right near your house. They call that nimby, not in my backyard. And here's the thing I would Knownumber one. I would try the different providers. You've got three different providers here in the US. I'm not sure which one you're using Dustin, but you know, if you're using t mobile, check out at and t checkout Verizon and also see which one works. Ask the neighbors in that area which one works the best. But as far as I know, even the smallest starlink I don't think is meant to be walked around with. However, since you have a YouTube channel, sounds like a project for you. Maybe try it out. See if you can get a little set up. Or maybe you just set up the starlink on a little trailer thing and leave it on the beach while you walk around. Lots of ideas. Sounds like a fun business. This is rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Oxford's twenty twenty four word of the Year is brain raw. You know what I'm talking about. I call this nonsense with my kids. You know the stuff they watch on YouTube shorts where they're just flipping through over and over and it's like all this like nonsense stuff that they watch. But brain raw is the decline in mental or intellectual capacity resulting from excessive consumption of trivial or unchallenging online content. Yeah you know when you see it. The terms usage increased by two hundred and thirty percent in twenty twenty four, driven by low quality digital media It was first recorded in eighteen fifty four by Henry David Thoreaux in Walden. Wow, you talked about brain rop back then, they brain rot in eighteen fifty four. Wow, that's wild. But now, of course it's all this stuff. You know what I'm talking about. You know, you just flip through and it's like stuff you really don't need to know, or stuff you really don't need to see, but you watch it anyway and it just rots your brain. It offers no advantage to knowing this information or to seeing it. Newport Institute Healthcare provider says brain rot is mental fogginess and reduced attention span due to excessive screen time. Now that I will say, I've definitely noticed the reduced attention span, even in myself, I mean everyone. It's like we want everything summarized now, we want everything to be quick, short and easy. But there you have it. Brain rot twenty twenty four Word of the Year. All right, let's see here. We've got a great guest on Yahoo Male. This is a very popular email program. It's gone through a lot of changes recently. It's got a new look, a new feel, new AI features, and here to talk about all of it. Is Yahoo Male's general manager, Rob Gelic.
Speaker 10: Rob.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the show.
Speaker 11: Hey Rich, how are you? Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: I am doing fantastic and thanks for being on. So let's talk First off, Yahoo Male. I mean, obviously this has been around for a very long time. What is sort of new and different about it from the big picture side of things?
Speaker 12: Yeah, you're right, I mean we Yahoo Male definitely, you know, one of the more established emails out there. One in three American adults still visit Yahoo Male each month, right, were the number two email service out there. And recently we've been on a i'd just say an innovation role, a lot of new features, leveraging things like AI but AI to solve real problems for users.
Speaker 1: Ah okay, But now before we get into that, I know, because you guys are you know, like you said, the one of the largest email providers out there. Some other sources, like users have been migrated to you, right from like SBC or AT and T or Cox. Can you touch upon that, like, explain because I get a lot of emails from people like, hey, Rich, my email provider moved to Yahoo. I don't know how to log in anymore. Can you explain, like how to like, how do you move your stuff over?
Speaker 12: Yeah, So for for users that we're originally getting their email from one of our partners like a Cox or an AT and T, we're in partnership with them to move their email over to Yahoo. So the great thing there is those relationships are being built so that people get the high quality service that Yahoo offers, and our partners recognize that in their original services. But change is hard. So what when people are who are used to a specific email service need to make that change. Sometimes that transition needs a lot of care. And when we move people over, a lot of what we do is kind of white glove them through the process of getting signed in with their original credentials, creating their own version of a Yahoo account, and us pourting over what their mail is. So for the most part, that's a seamless experience for users.
Speaker 1: And so the bottom line is that you just basically go to Yahoo Mail and kind of log in with your old account credentials and it will kind of recognize that and saying, oh, you're coming from SBC or you're coming from Cox, and it will kind of walk you through the process.
Speaker 11: That's absolutely right.
Speaker 12: Yeah, the partners will redirect the user over to Yahoo will prompt them to log in with their current credentials. They have an option to update those credentials like put in a new password, and when they open it, they'll see the Yahoo Experience and their mail will be waiting for them.
Speaker 1: Okay, that is very important to know because I think people probably get tripped up on the they're looking at the Yahoo website, but they're logging in with their old information, and so that makes much more sense. So let's talk about some of these new features, like what you know, what specific AI features are you talking about with the new Yahoo Male Experience.
Speaker 12: Yeah, we have like the biggest desktop redesign in a decade for Yahoo just recently, and many of those features have just been released on our iOS app.
Speaker 11: We're really focused rich.
Speaker 12: On an app experience to help people stay organized and on top of things. We know that it can be overwhelming going into your inbox. We've all had those moments where you come in and there's just so much there. So a lot of our AI powered features are really focused on solving those problems where we're matching these kind of tangible problems people are having with real solutions.
Speaker 11: And so I'll give you an example, so we've added a.
Speaker 12: New Priority inbox tab that automatically highlights the most important messages for you. And this compliments what is the all email view that users are used to looking at. We keep both in there, so if you prefer the traditional way of browsing, or you prefer this new Priority inbox that sorts out let's say some of the noise for you, those are now available for you. And with the Priority Inbox, we've added a number of really cool features.
Speaker 11: We have quick action buttons that allows users, without needing.
Speaker 12: To actually open the email, do things like copying onlock code that they got for an account, or check in for a flight, or one click track where a package that you're expecting to be delivered is all with a single tap and all without needing to open that email. You can do it directly from your Priority Inbox list view, which is amazing.
Speaker 2: That's cool.
Speaker 1: And then you're you're also summarizing emails as well.
Speaker 12: We are, so in that specific view we are previewing message contents, so the ideal, the core idea of that message is getting captured in this really brief summary that we provide inline.
Speaker 11: As you're looking through your emails, it's.
Speaker 12: Been a way to give an alternative for people that to use the original title of the email, to switch that out with something that more concretely summarizes everything that's in that note.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, that's interesting. That's so you can have it take over kind of the whole subject line.
Speaker 12: Correct, So we have both options if someone prefers those original and we know we have senders where that's really important to them.
Speaker 11: Users have that whole view where they.
Speaker 12: Can see the original subject, where they can get these one line summaries.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this idea of the gamified experience for cleaning up old emails.
Speaker 2: That sounds fun.
Speaker 6: So yeah.
Speaker 12: One of the things that is interesting about it is we noticed this behavior when people are looking at their email, where they really are trying to quickly sort through the stuff that's valuable, even if I'm not going to open it in the moment. They want to park it and clean out the stuff that they really think is a little bit noise or less important to them. So we've created a mode within the mobile app today that allows us to feature items within your email. It's like twenty five emails at a time, and the prompts to lead something on red delete it archive it are much more prominent as part of the user experience, so people can quickly go through emails within seconds.
Speaker 11: And at the end of this mode.
Speaker 12: When you're done cleaning out your inbox, we give you a little prompt like at the end. That's a nice little game experience. It says, oh, hey, you went through twenty five emails in eight seconds.
Speaker 11: It's a nice little entertainment piece.
Speaker 12: It helps reinforce there's some sense of accomplishment that you're staying on top of your emails and really being organized.
Speaker 11: Our users have loved it so far.
Speaker 1: One of my favorite things with organizing my email, and I have a lot of it, is when I get an email that I know I have like a bunch of other ones that are similar, I will kind of like filter for all those and then select them and then delete them all at the same time. And it gives me a lot of satisfaction. Now, what about Yahoo male kind of managing other email accounts? I know you told me you can use it for like Gmail and Outlook, Like, can I just use the Yahoo email interface for my other email accounts?
Speaker 11: Absolutely?
Speaker 12: Richmond, that's like the perfect way to phrase that We've made it really easy for users to bring their existing email to Yahoo. And actually, in recent months we've seen about a one hundred and twenty five percent increase in desktop users connecting their Gmail to their Yahoo mail accounts just because how we've set it up as part of the onboarding process.
Speaker 1: Now here's my question with that. Let's say I bring Let's say I have an account somewhere else and I bring it to Yahoo. Is it sort of like interfacing with that other account, Like any changes I make, does that happen on the back end with the other email? Or are my emails imported into Yahoo as well? And like a new organization.
Speaker 12: Yeah, there's a standard handshake between the different services that the industry at large uses. It's called IMAP, and that's exactly what that does. It keeps your email, even though let's say it's offered through another provider, if you're viewing it and managing it through Yahoo, it keeps everything in sync.
Speaker 1: All Right, anything else we need to know, we we've got to run. But anything else you want to let folks know about the new Yahoo mal No, I.
Speaker 12: Mean, we've we've been making great progress. We had just on iOS since we've rolled this out. We just had our biggest day ever for single single day record for daily active users from the iOS app, so we know something's working.
Speaker 11: It's out there. These AI features are available if.
Speaker 12: You want and need them, and certainly changing the game and towards of people being able to stay on top of their their personal emails and definitely appreciate the time.
Speaker 11: Rich. We're so excited about the product and we think our users will be as well.
Speaker 2: I think we know where to find it.
Speaker 1: Yahoo Mail, very simple, Rob Gellick, I know about I don't know about you, but I'm well as GM of Yahoo Male. You probably spend a lot more time in email even than I do, and I spend almost my whole day in my inbox. So email is very near and dear to everyone's heart these days, I feel like.
Speaker 12: Absolutely and it definitely is this the central communication to well, we're trying to make sure that they're bridging the gap across messaging applications to make sure it's the best experience possible.
Speaker 1: All right, there you have it, Yahoo Males General Manager Rob Gallick, thanks so much for joining me today. Eight eight eight Rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. I'll tell you coming up why Google Maps is getting one of the best features of Ways plus your calls coming up right here on rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich On Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology. The phone lines are open at triple eight rich one O one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. I do appreciate you hanging out here with me. Hopefully you're learning something. Hopefully you're enjoying the show. And uh yeah, what more can you ask for?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 1: I mean, let's go to uh let's see here. We've got Peter in San Diego.
Speaker 6: Peter, you're on with Hey, Ranch, how are you?
Speaker 4: Thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 1: I am doing fantastic. What can I help you with?
Speaker 4: Okay, So I've got a phone that I've had for about five or six years that I like a lot. It's the Samsung Galaxy Note nine. The best feature of this phone is that I can put a memory card in.
Speaker 7: Oh.
Speaker 4: I basically got an endless memory. So I have not wanted to get rid of this phone, but I'm now starting to have problems. I got a message I had this app. I got a message the other day telling me I needed to update the app. I went to the play Store and I found the app and it deleted it uninstalled the a version I had in there. But then I got a message telling me that my phone is not compatible with a new version and I can't download it. I've now had that happen twice. And I come to find that I've got Android version ten and apparently my phone is telling me I've got the latest version available, and I don't think Android is supporting this phone anymore due to the age. I was cold. There's a workaround for that, and I was hoping that you might have some info, h a workaround.
Speaker 1: I'm not aware of a workaround. I'm looking up the phone was this Yeah, this was launched in August twenty eighteen. The support for it ended on September seventh, twenty twenty two, so you're definitely outside the support time. I'm looking at this phone. I remember it has a fingerprint reader on the backside.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 4: That looked yeah, great, great phone, wonderful phone.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And of course it was the last Samsung to have the micro SD card slot, which is a thing that you really like about it. So here's the thing, I mean, there's really I'm trying to think unless you unless you put your own system on here somehow I don't, which I think is very complicated and I'm not even sure how you do that. You know, there might be like a rom that you can put on here.
Speaker 4: That there are some YouTube videos and how to do it, but it's a little bit it's my skill set, I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I used to do that back in the day, and even for someone who's like really into it, it was a lot. And by the way, once you do that, a lot of things don't work on the phone anymore, you know, like you all the little you know, everything's optimized because Samsung comes up with this software and also this is a you know, you'd have to unlock the bootloader on this phone. I mean, there's so many steps that like I can't sit here and tell you on a mainstream show to like go ahead and try to do that, because it's just it's just not like a thing for the you know, the average person to do.
Speaker 2: So, I mean, is.
Speaker 4: There a let me ask you this, is there an Android phone out there that does have a training that I can put a memory card on that's his fully featured as this phone. I tell you I've been through a lot of phones over the year. I've not kept the phone as long as this one. This phone has just been magnificent. And the only problem I'm having, you know, I just can't update these apps, and consequently I can't use apps with certain companies retailers and restaurants and things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a problem.
Speaker 1: And that's all for security reasons and also support reasons, Like you're saying that this the last support on this is Android ten, which you know we're up to Android fifteen now, So I mean, you know, these companies that make apps, they you know, they do support for a decent amount of time. And by the way, the newer phones are now, the Android phones specifically the Samsung's and the Google phones are now getting like seven years of updates. So it's a good thing that we're seeing more updates. But this phone specifically was sort of before that kind of happened. And it does get a little tricky now when it comes to an SD card on a phone, like I mean, I really have not reviewed a phone that has an SD card in a long time because they just don't make them like that anymore. And I'm trying to see the only phone that I've seen that's come out in the past year or so is from a company called Nothing.
Speaker 2: Have you heard of them?
Speaker 4: I have not.
Speaker 1: Okay, So they actually make a phone called the CMF Phone, and the CMF is actually their lesser expensive brand, and they make a phone it's not very expensive, but it does have a expandable storage up to two terabytes, and it does have the recent operating system. The thing about this phone is it's a very budget phone, so it's not really you know, you may are do you take a lot of pictures?
Speaker 4: You know, I take a fair amount of pictures, And you know, I can understand why they did away with the SD card tray because you know, obviously they want to sell you memory on the front end.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and more.
Speaker 6: Like this.
Speaker 4: You know, you could you could just you don't need to do that. You can just put in any kind of card you want. It was it was just fabulous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I totally understand, and believe me, I it's you know, I've covered phones for a long time and the micro SD card slot was always a differentiator by the way for Android versus iPhone. And of course when Samsung did away with that and everyone else did away with it. It just kind of like became Okay, this is just the way it is now, and there's no interest in the phones having that expandable storage because why would you get that when you have you know, why would you want that as a phone maker when you're not going to sell anything above the smallest you know, memory size on that device.
Speaker 2: So exactly, I would take a.
Speaker 1: Look at this CMF phone and see, I mean, I love nothing. I love their software. I absolutely love their devices. This is, like I said, their budget device. You do have to jump through a little bit of hoops to get it. You got to join their beta program, but I don't think that's a big thing to do. But the software is clean, the phone's nice. I think this might serve you well. And it's not that expensive. We're talking like under two hundred and fifty bucks CMF phone by nothing. Thanks for the call, Peter and san Diego more rich on Tech after this. Welcome back to Rich John Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you talking technology at triple eight Rich one on one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Don't be shy, give me a call. You'll have to get through Kim. First, just full disclosure, but once you do it is fun. After that, well, it's fun to talk to Kim, but I'm saying you'll get once you get through to her, then you can talk to me. The website for the show Rich on tech dot tv. There you can get the show notes. Hit the light bulb for that, or you can send me an email and it's all right there. Very very simple. Google Maps. If you've been in your car lately, you might have noticed something. Google Maps is acting a little different. It is giving you these incident reports that you typically would get from Ways. So we were driving last weekend and all of a sudden it popped up and it said, hey, there's a police ahead, and it said, you know, slow down ahead. I said, wait a second to my wife, we're using Ways. She goes, no, that's Google Maps. So what so yeah, Google Maps this week started to integrate Ways incident reports.
Speaker 2: So this means if.
Speaker 1: You are using Google Maps, you're getting more timely updates about things happening on the road up ahead, whether that's an accident, whether that's a speed camera, police, and it's sourced from now Google Maps and Ways. So my kids love this because basically it says there's police ahead in half a mile, four tenths of a mile, three tents of a mile, one hundred feet fifty feet are they still there? And my kids love to answer the question. And when you answer those questions, and by the way, do this in a safe way in your car. Obviously it's a big button yes or no. You're helping other drivers in real time. And so this has been something that Ways drivers have really enjoyed and really loved sort of that community of sharing information in real time. Now it's coming to Google Maps. But Google, if you're wondering if they're going to merge these two mapping apps even though they own both, they say they are going to continue to operate them separately. And by the way, I got a preview of a new feature coming to Ways where instead of pressing a button at all, you can just say to Ways, what is on the road ahead in any you know, natural language you want. So typically when you do a report, when you file a report on Ways, it says, you know, is there an object on the road, is there police presence? Is there a crash? Is there slow down? Now you can just say, like you know, Heyways or whatever, ladder on the road and it will figure out what that is and kind of make that into a report using AI. So that's coming soon. But anyway, pretty cool if you notice that, now you're up to speed on there. So to say no pun intended. Tesla has officially launched its Apple Watch app. This is something that many people who have a Tesla have been waiting for, and this is the functionality where you can use your Apple Watch as a key to lock and unlock your Tesla. You can see your you know your charge level, you can adjust your climate control. Now here's okay. So I have this on my watch because I got it last night, but I have not yet gotten the software update for the car, so I can't really use it. But it's weird because they mentioned in the press stuff that you can open the frunk from your watch, but it didn't say anything about the trunk. So I got to figure out if you can actually use this, why would they do just the frunk and not the trunk. That makes no sense, So perhaps it will have trunk access as well. But anyway, this is a good thing because now you can use your Apple Watch to control the Tesla. This is something they've had in the past. But you had to pay for a third party app to do this, So now it's included, it's free. And of course this is part of Tesla's twenty twenty four holiday update, which also has some other features. One of the really, really handy features for folks is the fact that you can now download the dash cam and the Century Mode clips to your phone. So it used to be, you know, the Tesla's have like a DVR that's recording all the cameras all times, and if you ever get into an accident or you ever witnessed something on the road and you want to download that, you had to pull that USB drive from your car, put it into your computer, find the clip, and it was a whole thing. But now you'll be able to just go on your phone and download that clip directly to your to your photo gallery, and that's going to be so much handier. There's a whole bunch of other features too in the Tesla twenty twenty four Holiday update, but I won't bore you with all those eighty eight rich one on one eighty eight seven four to two four one zero one, Elizabeth and Newport. You've got some follow up questions on the Yahoo.
Speaker 11: Guest yes, I do.
Speaker 2: Oh, and I reckon.
Speaker 1: Answer them because I'm not the Yahoo guy. But we'll see what.
Speaker 13: Welp, I actually emailed you and you said make sure you you listen on Saturday.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so I did.
Speaker 13: I missed the very first part. And what I emailed you was, I have, you know, an old AT and T SBC Global dot ne email. Okay, And but I used Yahoo homepage and I have for some years, and just a couple of days ago, I get this giant banner here that says a change is coming.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 13: Oh, in this page, we'll direct you back to the att currently homepage, where you can access mail and stay up to date on news, sports, finance, and finance and more. Go there now, which I haven't done.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 13: So it sounds like what your guest was talking was kind of the opposite of that.
Speaker 1: Well okay, so these are two completely separate things. So okay, this is you're talking about a homepage, right, which is which basically I'm looking at this currently. Uh It's basically the my Yahoo, except it's AT and T's version of it.
Speaker 13: So okay, yeah it looks different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it looks a little different. But everything I'm seeing on there is pretty much powered by Yahoo. So I think for you, if you want to continue to use the ma Yahoo page. Are you saying, so, is that is that going away? Or can you still go to Okay.
Speaker 13: Well that's what it seems.
Speaker 2: Okay, yep, that's what it is. Okay, yep.
Speaker 1: So it's gonna maya who looks like it's switching over to currently from at and T but it's still part of that my Yahoo brand. So it's a little confusing. But I think for you, if you have an account and you've got do you have some personalizations on that page? Yeah, I think they're all going to just carry over. That's what it looks like to me when I look at this, Okay, so that's yeah.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it looks completely different. Like for example, my page is blue and it has a block over here and different things down the side, and the currently page. You know, there's always been issues between the two with the mail and some time was a mess. Oh right, you're but the currently page, I think is white and it looks totally different. Is that what you see when you look at it?
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So it looks like I guess there It's funny gosh, I remember my Yahoo from back in the day. I mean that was like that was like my homepage for so many years, because it's like, once you personalize that, it was like, you know, golden, you had all your stuff on there at all. So yeah, it looks like that is changing to something a little bit different through the currently from AT and T. It's it's confusing because Yahoo, Yeah, I guess they handle things for a lot of different companies now, and I guess AT and T is one of them. But I would I would say, let's see, when does this say it's gonna.
Speaker 13: Okay, it doesn't what I see it doesn't say, doesn't say when.
Speaker 2: It says soon.
Speaker 1: This page will direct you back to the AT and T currently homepage, where you can access mail and stay up to date. So it looks like they're they're gonna just have a different design, and it looks like some of the things will remain the same, like the widgets that.
Speaker 2: You have and stuff.
Speaker 1: But I will say, Elizabeth, I think you need to be prepared for a different look for sure, because it looks like, yeah, it looks like that's changing just a little bit, But I don't think it's gonna be that big of a change because it looks like it's your same account, it's just going to be branded differently. So I will monitor this and I will also follow up with the Yahoo pho and see if I can get some more information on this. But I understand, you know, when we see a big banner that says that change is coming, you know, half the people are like like bracing, you know, like, ah, bracing for impact. I don't want I don't want this change. Why are you changing things? But I'm sure it's some sort of streamlining of their business or something that they're doing that is, uh, that is making that change happening. So thanks for the call, appreciate it. Yeah, so my dot Yahoo dot com. I mean, it's funny even today in the year twenty twenty four, when I go when I test something out, like when I when I need to test to see if like an internet connection is working or whatever it is, my first stop is always I just go to Yahoo dot com. I mean, isn't that like after all these years, that's still kind of like the place that I go.
Speaker 2: Do I ever mention? But but maybe I've mentioned this.
Speaker 1: Uh that I got a job offer from Yahoo once This was back in the day, and this was I'll never forget. So it was you know, this was when I didn't know if Yahoo was going to be a thing or not. Right, so they offered me. I was working somewhere else and like, hey, do you want to come to Yahoo? And of course it was like a great job, and I had to move to like Sunny Vale where they had and of course I get this tour of like the Yahoo campus, which was just like incredible for someone who worked in local news to go from that to like a place where all your food was free. They had all these people like playing volleyball and these sand volleyball courts and like just showed me this brand new studio they had for this. It was called Yahoo Finance, that's what they were doing. And of course you had like you know, they were paying you in like stocks of the company. I mean, it was a good thing. Like the offer was great, but I was so concerned that like Yahoo may not be around in a couple of years that I was like, I can't take this job, and I didn't, and you know, I guess they're still there. So even though my Yahoo's changing, so there take this. I was right about something there was a change at Yahoo eighty eight. Oh, by the way, and the best part of the job offer. They they FedEx you this package with all this Yahoo stuff in it, like all this like T shirt. I still have the T shirt, but when you open the box, it went Yahoo. And so I must have opened that thing like one hundred times before that battery went dead. Eighty eight Rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. I see the calls. We will get to them right after this. Rich on tech dot tv is the website to go to. And coming up, I'll tell you about this Verizon secret deal you might be able to take advantage of.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you about that coming up next.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you talking technology.
Speaker 2: Let's see.
Speaker 1: Coming up this hour, we have another guest, Jennifer Twoey from The Verge, is going to discuss matter.
Speaker 2: Have you heard of this?
Speaker 1: This is that smart home standard that sort of been like a rough start for it, but supposedly it's gonna make things a lot better.
Speaker 2: She'll explain.
Speaker 1: Also Verizon, so this is a actually you know what, Let's just go to Rich.
Speaker 2: Let's go to Rich in Landa Lakes, Florida. Let's let Rich ask this question. He's been on hold for a while. Rich, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 4: We're Rich.
Speaker 10: Let's take Nicoll really appreciate you and your show. Thank you appreciating that a product it's by net Gear, the cable modem router combination, utilizing that instead of what Spectrum is going to rent here per month. I mean, it kind of makes sense because it's going to pay for itself and like you know, maybe a little more than a year. Want to get your thoughts on that product, and also if there are any any drawbacks to doing this versus renting, Well.
Speaker 1: The main drawback versus renting is that you're responsible for the equipment. So if something goes wrong with it doesn't work, or if you need tech support, Spectrums going to say, hands off, you've got your own equipment.
Speaker 2: We can't really help you there.
Speaker 1: So rit do you know that this equipment is compatible with your Internet?
Speaker 10: It is, I mean, at least online it says it is.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, And what's the what's the price of this.
Speaker 10: One hundred and thirty three bucks?
Speaker 1: So one hundred and thirty three dollars and what are they asking for their rental fee every month.
Speaker 10: Ten Well they're selling it as the modems free in the routers ten bucks a month, so you know, about one hundred twenty bucks a year.
Speaker 1: Okay, so about one hundred and twenty So your break even is about you know, fourteen months basically, yeah, and.
Speaker 2: Are you moving in that time? Are you thinking of moving?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, I mean, you know, there's really the downside again, is what I said, is just basically the you know, upfront cost which is not that much, and the fact that if there's any sort of issue with compatibility or technical support, they're really not going to help you. But I think if you're if you're sticking with it, and you're going to stay in this place and you're going to continue to have this service, then I think that it's probably not a bad deal to do this. And you just got me. Well, so I don't always look at my bill for my internet like I once in a while look at the itemized bill only basically when it goes up, like it went up last month by like five bucks, I'm like, well, what's going on here? And I saw that my internet service provider actually charges I think it's fifteen bucks a month for my modem, and I'm like, wait a second, why am I doing that. I've been I've had this same internet probably for ten years now at this point, and so I can't even imagine how much I've paid for this modem that is, you know, so old at this point, which needs to be upgraded in general.
Speaker 2: But I think for the look for.
Speaker 1: The average person, it's it's very simple because the cable person nowadays everything is like self service and I don't even think they come to install these boxes anymore. But you know you could if you needed that help, you could get it. But that's the only thing you're giving up. I think with this is that you just really you know, you just have to deal with that side of things. But sounds like it's gonna be pretty simple. You buy this thing, you connect it to your internet, and it will fire up and that's it. You don't have to pay that bill for the next you know, indefinite amount of time.
Speaker 10: Yeah, no, okay, I'm gonna give it a shot. Also, I want to say I appreciate your your tip on the zen book because I bought one. Oh okay, I got a really good deal on it, so oh nice.
Speaker 1: That's a that's a good tip. I was just uh, I was just in the Microcenter. If you listen to the show where I talked with the micro Center. I went to New Jersey and then I went to the one out here in California. They've got one in Tustin. And I was talking to this guy. We were doing a story about computers, and I was like, what brands do you like? He's like, I really like the asus Zen Book. And I was like, oh nice, that's what I recommend it to people. So glad, I'm glad you're liking that. Thanks for listening. Down there in Landa Lakes, Florida. That reminds me of the butter every time? Does everyone think that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 10: But it really it doesn't have anything to do with it.
Speaker 1: I figured, I figured, but I just when I see Landa Lakes, it's like that. I just remember growing up with that butter. I don't know, it's just there, it is, all right. Eighty eight rich one on one. Thanks rich for the call. There, eight eight eight rich one on one. Okay, So this Verizon thing I was telling you about, I don't know if this will still work, but it's worth a try because it's been percolating for a little bit now, probably about a week, so Verizon might have gotten hipped to it. But the gist of this is that if you go to the section of the website of the Verizon website or the app that lets you unlock your phone number to leave, they get scared and they give you this ten dollars per month loyalty discount for a year. And so I tried this, and I the weird thing is that I don't know if it's automatic or not, because I went to this section of the of the app and I did find the banner that said, Hey, save ten dollars for twelve months, But then for some reason, when I went to redeem it, it sent me a text and it said I had to call Verizon to redeem it. So I'm not sure if that's what everyone has to do or just what I had to do. But the point is, you open the My Verizon app, you navigate to my Access section, and then you look for a banner that says save ten dollars a month for twelve months off this line, and then you tap check offers and you follow the prompts to redeem the discount. No changes to your current planner are necessary and people I did post this to my social media at rich on Tech on Instagram, and people did report that it did work for them, and like, rich you just saved me. Like one person said they had like three lines or four lines. I saved them like times each line. It was like ten dollars per line. Times the whole year, it was like over four hundred dollars. So I was like, oh wow, I should take a cut of that.
Speaker 2: Now, I'm just kidding. I don't mind.
Speaker 1: I don't mind giving this out for free anyway. I will put the the source, which is droid Life, great website if you like, you know Android side of things. They were the ones who posted about this. I'll put the link on the website rich on tech dot tv. But it's worth a try ten bucks a month?
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Eighty eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Coming up, we are going to talk about matter and why it matters to your smart home. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demro here hanging out with you, talking technology. The website for the show is rich on tech dot tv. If you want links to anything I mentioned, just go to the website and look for episode number one hundred. Everything I mentioned, including that Verizon loyalty discount I talked about, it's all linked up there. And by the way, the website a lot of stuff you can do there. You can sign up for my newsletter and you can also get in touch with me. So if you want to send me an email, I can't guarantee that I will respond to every one of them, because I do get a lot of them, but I will do my best and rest assured I do read your email. And if you want to get something in for this show, We've got the feedback segment coming up right after this, and I will read some of your feedback from the past week or so. All right, Joining me now from the Verge is Jennifer Touey. She is there smart home expert, and we're going to talk about MATTER, this new universal standard for connected devices.
Speaker 2: Jennifer, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 7: Hi Rich, pleasure to be here.
Speaker 1: So we actually met at an event in New York City. It was a Google event, and I was like, okay, MATTER, like I've heard of it, I know about it, but I'm not sure I've used it in a meaningful way yet. So I figured you'd be a great person to kind of talk about this. What I guess explain? First off? What is Matter?
Speaker 14: Yeah? Yeah, Well, in a nutshell, MATTA is basically designed to try and make the smart home simple, interoperable, reliable, and more secure. So great goals, exciting goals. Yeah, they're working towards them. The reason you haven't probably got much experience with Matter yet is because it's still relatively new, so it's still developing. But the goal is to create or it is creating, an open source standard for the smart home, and it's being created by over two hundred companies, including Apple, Amazon, Samsung, Google, Lgirobot, Verizon, like all the companies, so everyone's involved in trying to make this happen, which is why it feels like, unlike perhaps other protocols and standards that have come and gone, that this one sort of has some legs and it's.
Speaker 7: Going to get somewhere.
Speaker 14: And it's a communication and intero interoperability protocol.
Speaker 7: Sorry it's Saturday afternoon.
Speaker 14: And it leverages existing technologies, which is one of another reason why it should be relatively simple to implement. It uses something called thread, Wi Fi, Bluetooth, and Ethernet and it will allow all of your smart home devices to talk with each other locally over your own home network without relying on the Internet, and also to be able to talk to any smart home platform that also works with Matter. So you can use Apple Home if you like, or you can then just say okay, no, now I want to try Google Home. Or if you have an iPhone and your spouse has a pixel phone, you can.
Speaker 7: Both control your smart light bulb or you're smart door lock.
Speaker 14: Without having to fight over which ecosystem you're in.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, there's a lot to break down.
Speaker 1: Okay, So first off, you mentioned that it's like two hundred companies other any notable holdouts, like any companies that are not participating that are like major companies.
Speaker 2: No, not really, Okay, so that's a good thing.
Speaker 7: So that's I mean, everyone's got a foot in the door.
Speaker 14: Okay, some have an entire body and others maybe just have a teeny little little toe.
Speaker 2: Okay, but that's good.
Speaker 7: There's some more involved than others.
Speaker 1: So this, as I'm understanding, sounds like it would replace all those like hundreds of stickers on a smart home product that like oh works with home Kit works with Alexa works with Google Home, like this would this would be one standard that when you see Matter, you're like, okay, cool. As long as I've got matter, matter here, matter there, it all works together.
Speaker 7: That is the ultimate goal.
Speaker 14: Though we're probably gonna have those because for a while, because you know, people we got used to them. So but yes, if you see a Matter logo which kind of looks like a bikini bottoms on a stick man, but anyway, you'll never you'll never picture it any other way after that.
Speaker 7: But yes, you see if you see a Matter.
Speaker 14: Logo on a product in theory, and the goal is that that means it will work with any of the big smart home platforms and many other smart home platforms that have come on board with Matter. But we're still seeing those works with badges as their cord, like works with Apple Home, works with Google Home, because again, you know, consumers have got used to them, and if they're not there then they think, oh that means it doesn't.
Speaker 7: So once it's going to take a while, I think for that to that sort of.
Speaker 14: To permeate the consumer landscape to sort of understand that this is what matter means. But ultimately, yes, we should just have one little sticker and not fifteen different ones.
Speaker 1: So where are we at with this standard, like our products supporting it, our people, like, is the public aware of this? Are we looking for this sticker yet? And you know how far along are we?
Speaker 14: So it launched two years ago and almost to the month I think it was well November, and that was the launch of the actual specification, which is what the companies then used to go and develop products for it.
Speaker 7: So two years in and we actually quite far in terms of.
Speaker 14: The different types of devices it supports, which is key because if you want to be able to use everything in your smart home on one protocol, then every different type of device needs to be supported. So now we're basically not critical mass, but close to smart lights, locks, sensors and shades and blinds, smart switches, smart plugs, robot vacuums, home appliances, TVs, your thermostat, and most recently they added a lot of home energy management devices like solar panels, ev charges, battery storage systems in your home.
Speaker 7: So there are a lot of device types supported.
Speaker 14: There are a few very notable missing, I mean the biggest one being security cameras, things like video door bells and cameras. You might put around your home for security or inside your home.
Speaker 7: To watch your pet.
Speaker 14: Those are not part of the standard yet, although the Connectivity Standards Alliance, who is the organization that's sort of herding all the cats here and making this happen, they are working on adding security cameras. Then the other one is security systems. So like you're ADT or you're simply safe, those are not part of matter. Doesn't look like it's necessarily in the roadmap that we may sort of see sort of integration at some point down the line. So but yeah, it's made a lot of progress in terms of the CSA saying, look, people that make these devices, you can use matter.
Speaker 7: What we're kind of waiting on now is more.
Speaker 14: Manufacturers to actually start developing products with matter. We see a lot of smart lights and locks and sensors and plugs and switches, but we have not seen a lot of home appliances where I got vacuums, TV's them, stats, those devices that actually haven't traditionally been part of the smart home.
Speaker 7: But Matt who is sort of looking to help bring them in.
Speaker 1: So yeah, okay, well, if he's coming along, here's something that I'm always confused about. So you've got matter and then you also have thread, So like are they the same? Like what Like I'm looking at the Apple TV four K it says thread networking technology. Does that mean it supports matter? And do I what do I need to like have like a matter hub or like start with this stuff? Like do I get you know, I assume if you have a light bulb, but you have no like hub for that light bulb, you need somehow to like work it right.
Speaker 14: So the hub word is a bit of a misnomer. If you've been involved in the smart home in the past, you would have heard of different hubs that you could have used, like smart Things hub or like a Phillips Hugh bridge or a Zwave device Zwave hub that would work with one protocol and help you use those devices locally in your home. They gen and then some hubs would use multiple protocols and those what this what Matter is doing is you don't have a hub that controls a specific protocol. Instead, you have what's called a matter controller that controls matter devices in your home. The good news about the matter controller is you probably already have one in your house because all of the big tech companies have using software updates and with newer models added matter to their devices. So the Apple TV you mentioned is a matter controller. All Apple TVs are matter controllers. All home pods are matter controllers, all Echo devices, smart smart speakers from Amazon, they're all matter controllers, even the really old ones.
Speaker 2: What about the Google, Like all the.
Speaker 14: Googles are as well, including the Google Wi Fi routers. So yeah, and Samsung has put matter controllers into everything, like even into the fridge. So you have but the key different. There is a key difference which you picked up on. There's dread now. Thread is one of the two wireless protocols matterworks over. The other is Wi Fi. Everyone has Wi Fi mostly if you have a smart home, you definitely have Wi Fi, so that's not an issue. You do need a specific Thread border router in your house to get the most out of Thread devices and Thread devices are different because Thread is a protocol that was specifically developed four IoT products, so it's centered around things like low battery and sorry, long battery life, low latency, all the types of things that probably already frustrated you in the smart home, like if you've had a smart sensor in or a smart doll lock and you had to change the batteries after two or three months. Were you have a smart light switch that takes like thirty seconds to turn on. Those types of things are frustrating. Thread is designed to fix those, but you do need a thread border router. Good news again, all of those devices I just talked about from Amazon, Apple, and Google, about thirty percent of those are also thread border routers. And within the next three to five years, I would anticipate that the majority of your routers that you get from your ISP or routers perhaps that you buy like Eer routers or Google Nest routers, will be matter controllers and thread border routers as well as WiFi routers. So you'll have everything you need for Matter. But right now, if you're looking to get started with matter though, that's what you're going to want to make sure you have is a matter controller that also works as a thread border router.
Speaker 7: And if you want a list of.
Speaker 14: Those, I have a very handy article on the vergeon dot com called all the devices that work with Matter and you can go there and see and see which ones will work.
Speaker 7: And like I said, the chances are you may already have one in your house.
Speaker 1: Okay, I've got every smart home device that works with Matter on the Verge dot Com. I'll link that up on the website. Jennifer Twey, We're gonna have to leave it there. I feel like we need I feel like I have to take a college course in this. I feel like I'm understanding why matter is. I feel like they need some really good marketing people to kind of clean some of this terminology up and make it simple. But thank you so much. You really explained a lot of it. I do appreciate it. We're gonna have you back on to talk about it more. Jennifer Twey of The Verge, definitely look at the article every smart Home Device that Works with Matter. Coming up, It is time for the feedbag right here on rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology the website for the show rich on Tech dot TV. Two more items of note to get to before we open up the feedbag. First off, these AI powered glasses. They're called the Hearview AI subtitle glasses. I tried them on. This is a company out of the East Coast. They flew out to LA to give me a demo of these glasses. But they look like sunglasses that you know, you can have the sunglass frames or the standard see through frames, but they offer real time transcription of spoken words, so it displays the text on this little transparent screen right within the lens, so you can literally see conversations as they're happening. So it uses an app to kind of transcribe and then display on the glasses what people are saying. So these are for the hard of hearing. Battery life up to seven hours and I try them on and they're very cool. I mean it's like subtie for the real world. So you're talking to someone, if you couldn't hear what they're saying, you would literally just see what they're saying right inside your lenses. So I thought these were pretty cool. The problem is the price. They're very expensive. They retail for about two thousand dollars. Again, they're called the Hearview AI subtitle glasses, and you can watch my story on them on the website rich on tech dot TV. But very cool and a lot of potential here to help people. They were on sale for a lot cheaper than that two thousand, maybe like thirteen hundred. Over the Cyber Monday Black Friday Redfin. You can now tap a button on redfin and add decorations to your house, holiday decorations. So they're using AI to transform home listings into holiday listings. You can add lights, garland, and even a Christmas tree. So I don't know what this reasoning is. I guess if you're looking at houses during the holiday season, it's kind of fun to imagine, like what your house will look like that you're moving into with holiday decorations. But if you are a homeowner, you can claim your home. You can just dress up your home, put it on Redfinn. If it's on Redfinn, you can upload an image, select holiday from the style menu. And if you're a buyer, you can redesign any listing by pressing the redesign button. It's available on redfin dot com and the iOS app. What will they think of next? Okay, let's open up the feedback. These are the comments, the questions, the emails that you send me. David from Cincinnati writes in my son Jacob is fourteen. He's on the autism spectrum when it comes to technology. He's incredible, almost like a savant. He spends hours watching YouTube tutorials and has outgrown even Geek Squad when it comes to fixing devices. I believe Jacob's potential goes beyond a typical job like bagging groceries, but I'm unsure how to get him there. He won't receive a high school diploma, only a certificate, and college is not an option. Do you know if any programs mentors are paths that could help someone like him. He's already far beyond me in tech skills. I just want to support him in reaching his potential. David, thanks so much for this email. We did a story with an organization called Exceptional Minds here in Los Angeles. That is a school and the tuition was not cheap, but it's just an example of a place where teenagers like your son go and thrive. And it was really incredible to see how these teenagers were doing things like video and graphic design, and it's like a Hollywood kind of base thing, and then the studios stand up doing work with the studios, so it's really really incredible. So I am sure there are programs like that near you. I think it's a matter of linking up with the people that know where to find these programs. And I think you got to look for organizations in your area that deal with folks on the autism spectrum. So I would do a Google search. Let's see if I type in Exceptional Minds on Google. You know this as a nonprofit academy in post production studio for people on the autism spectrum. So I would look for programs for people on the autism spectrum in the Cincinnati area and beyond, and I think you'll find something great. Thanks for the email. Don from San Berndino writes in Happy Thanksgiving. I don't recall you covering instacart, but it's been a game changer for my family. Even here in San Bernardino, far away from the big city, this off service offers access to so many stores in one place. Three years ago, I faced a major medical challenge. My wife, who is site impaired, couldn't drive or handle computer orders during my hospital stay. Our daughter signed us up for instacart. She placed orders for us and groceries arrive within ninety minutes. The monthly fee is small, delivery is free with a tip. Drivers are polite, and they even bring things into the kitchen for seniors or the homebound. It's truly a godsend. Family members can help remotely, even from another state. I hope sharing this inspires others to assist loved ones with Instacart or similar services. Seniors and the homebound are often overlooked, and this can make a big difference. Thanks Don. I don't typically talk about Instacart because I feel like it's expensive and overpriced for what you get. But when you put it that way, yeah, it can definitely be a very big help depending on your situation. Thanks for the email, Joanne writes in thank you, Rich, Your tips have helped me so much. Your most recent wise camera recommendation, I got it and I love it. Thanks again, Hope you had a great Thanksgiving. And Ted from Palm Springs rites in Happy Thanksgiving, Rich, thanks for your wonderful radio program. We can hear you in the desert. I love that. And then we got a question from Cat and Sacramento. I enjoy and value your radio show. Your excellent topics are easy to understand and provide us less tech savvy users helpful information. I heard about your cat Jubilee, and I want to know what happened. Is it a foster fail? We still have Jubilee. It's been about sixty nine or seventy days. I don't know if it's a fail just yet, but it's certainly feeling that way.
Speaker 2: But she is up for adoption. She is a cute cat that's gonna do it.
Speaker 1: You can find links on the website, rich on tech dot tv. I'm on social media at rich on Tech. Next week, how to protect yourself from deep fakes, and the new app that helps you keep track of your babies milestones.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to rich on Tech.