Speaker 1: Hey there, everybody. It is Friday, March sixth. You've probably seen the headlines by now Britney Spears has been arrested for in suspicion of Dui. With that, we want to welcome you to this episode of Amy and TJ that frankly we were reluctant to do for a number of reasons, but rogue. She's a big star. This is a big deal. But man it sucks because, yes, you can argue she brought on herself, but this is going to be another round of headlines and everybody talking about her, what she should do, and so on and so forth.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think, look, we hesitated because we don't want to pile on. This is clearly a woman who is celebrated and loved. Hell I listened to her music all the time, especially when I'm running. She has been a part of our lives for as long as most of us can remember, and we have watched her decline, spiral, have problems, and I feel like most people are rooting for her. We want the best for her, We want her to make more music, to feel her own strength and her own power. She's been through so much, and to me, the one thing that really stood out that could be a positive note in all of these negative headlines she has suffered through for the past two decades. I loved this line. We'll read her full statement, but I loved this line. Hopefully this can be the first step in long overdue change that needs to occur in Britney's life. And I do feel like from what I've seen online, she has a huge fan base that is hoping for the best and rooting her on. But this is a tough, tough situation and thankfully no one got hurt.
Speaker 1: You again, if you haven't gone beyond the headlines, we will tell you what happened. This is reportedly on Wednesday evening out in Los Angeles in southern California, of course, not too far from where she has a home in Thousand Oaks. It's out there, people are aware of this. But the report was of a black BMW driving erradically and at high speeds. Police were able to catch up with his vehicle. She did pull over. She was given a field sobriety test that apparently the officer thought she failed. She was taken to jail. She was booked at three am. She was out by six am, but that is the story. We have not heard directly from her short of at least we see a move she has made. And I don't keep up with it rogues, but a lot of people are familiar with their Instagram account.
Speaker 2: Yes I am among her millions and millions of followers, but yes, she has deactivated her Instagram account. She did that on Thursday, and look, I think that's also a positive sign. A lot of people have only been keeping tabs on Britney Spears over these past few years since she was when since that conservatorship was removed by a judge in twenty twenty one, So for the past five years or so, we have been watching her basically through her Instagram feed, and frankly, a lot of what we see on that Instagram feed has been concerning, deeply concerning, not just in the videos she's posted, but even in some of the captions where she's gone after family members and friends and had kind of a stream of consciousness type of caption. She's gone through a messy divorce online, so we've only really been able to gauge how she's doing based on her Instagram account, and frankly, she's it's been tough to watch at times.
Speaker 1: I think. But then I have other people coming to me and said, oh my goodness, you've got to follow Brittany, and I think robes and again we want to say she's an adult, and she's responsible for her action. She's a mother, all right, to two boys. We hope so many people are point if over the years, pointed to you should check it out, not because it's entertaining, not because it's fun, but because they think it's so disturbing that you'll be entertained by how ridiculous it is. It's almost making fun of her, is how I have been told to follow her. It's not described as like it's our entertainment. We are watching this play out, and I think a lot of folks have used it as their entertainment. It's over the years, I'm not suggesting you, but you know what I'm saying. Everybody who has suggested I follow her, we're not doing it for a positive reason. They oh, you got to check this out. It's crazy, it's wild, you gotta see it. It wasn't in a positive light, is what I'm saying. Exactly.
Speaker 2: I would say I would liken it to people watching a train wreck. People would say that that has been what they have seen over the past several years. Because this is Brittany, it's her, it's her Instagram. She can do what she wants. But if you haven't followed her. Basically, she has a series or she had because again that account has been dia debated, but she's had a series of of she is dancing by herself a lot of times. She's barely clothed. Sometimes she's rolling around the beach with no clothing and she has her nipples exposed, and she puts stars or hearts to cover anything so it won't be indecent. But she looks out of control, her makeup lodged, et cetera. Like she just looks like a wreck.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know how much. I don't follow it, so I can't speak on it. It sounds like a lot of stuff I see on social media. It sounds performative by some artists. Again, I understand that some people are saying this is different, but I don't know. We don't hear her explain her actions. We don't hear any of that. So all of this stuff and we don't hear from Britain. Whend was the memoir two three years twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: I believe she put out her memoir, so.
Speaker 1: She's I don't remember her doing necessarily rounds of interviews.
Speaker 2: She did not know, she did not no, not at all, so we.
Speaker 1: Don't hear from her at all. And then the time we hear from her and she's in the headline has to do with the DUI. Yes, people are going to speak and speculate and try to put things together, but Robes this I hate she's going through it again. I am a huge Britney Spears fan, and I am just I'm devastated at the life. I have seen her live from the moment I saw that first video of her dancing around bad past high school lockers. Right, That's how we got interested. I did it again, and she has that. The moments of victory of us celebrating her in the past several years have been just few and far between. She should be at every Grammy Award. She should be at every ward. She is a a an icon an, iconic royalty type figure there and she's just forty four. I know she.
Speaker 2: I mean, she came up on the Disney Channel with Justin Timberlake and Christina Aguilera. She was a part of that group and she was wildly talent. My god. I mean to the fact that her music still still lands, still works, still gets me moving, gets me smiling. How you know what her music You can poo poo it all you want and say she sounds auto tuned and her voice isn't that great whatever. That girl could dance, that girl could perform, that girl could entertain, And every time I hear her music, I feel joy.
Speaker 1: She's one of the best we've ever seen in our lifetimes. She absolutely is like it, love it. She was a whole part of that new poppy. I guess that that that pop got a little cuter, right, It was the whole era of pop, yes, is that yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean that's what I've always heard it referred to. And you know what, I am on abashedly a huge fan of it.
Speaker 1: The thing is, we all are put on a Britney Spears song today, it works, put on a Backstreet Boy song, it works today. That was that era, yep, and she was the queen of it. Emerald. It just devastating that we continue to watch this person who played a role in all of our lives with her music. In Romese, we want to root We're always rooting for, but we don't. We rarely have something to celebrate for. We're always pulling for we are, but there's not It doesn't seem to be victories. The conservatorship, that of course, was a big deal. She got out of what the Free Britney movement.
Speaker 2: The Free Britney movement, she actually yes, I didn't realize how long it had lasted, but her father sought that out in two thousand and six and it ended in twenty twenty one, so thirteen years she was under a conservatorship. And look, she has just sold I believe, rights to her music. But she has hinted, certainly in her memoir that she was going to start creating more music. I think there would be nothing better than to see her put Look, she is a creative force, and to see her be able to put that energy and to put some of that genius into new music, into art, that would be the best case scenario. But I think a lot of folks just realized from the outside looking in, look, we don't have any sort of internal knowledge, but from the outside looking in, just from what we've been given a window into her world that she's put out there on social media, it does look deeply concerning, and then couple that with the fact that you know she's estranged from her father, from her mother, from her sister. You know, you wonder when you don't have family, people who are supposed to love you no matter what, around you, because you don't trust them. And whether they earned that or not, that's not for me to say, but that also just makes your heart go out to her because who is there for her? Who is her safe space? Who is her cushion? Everyone needs one?
Speaker 1: Well, we are being told that family is on the way. Stay here. We'll let you hear the statement from her own people that seems to suggest a change is coming. Stay here.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, everyone to this episode of Amy and TJ. We're talking about the latest unfortunate headline for pop superstar Britney Spears. She has been arrested, booked, and released on suspicion of d UI after police pulled her over. They say she was erratic in her driving, She was driving at a high speed, they pulled her over. They say she failed US a field sobriety test and so charges are pending. But we did get a statement from her people that actually provides a glimmer of hope. I think for people, and I do believe more people are rooting for her than are celebrating her continued downward spiral.
Speaker 1: Was this the our manager? Was this the manager?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, and so we'll read it for you. And I got a lot of hope out of the statement.
Speaker 1: You know how, you go ahead and read it. I'm not sure how I felt about it.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, This is the official statement from the Britney Spears camp. This was an unfortunate incident that is completely inexcusable. Britney is going to take the right steps and comply with the law, and hopefully this can be the first step in long overdue change that needs to occur in Britney's life. Hopefully she can get the help and support she needs during this difficult time. Her boys are going to be spending time with her, Her loved ones are going to come up with an overdue needed plan to set her up for success for well being.
Speaker 1: Again, it sounds like it's coming from somebody outside of her telling her once again what's going to happen, is getting on to her about her actions. I understand that it didn't seem collaborative, It didn't seem like she was a part necessarily of that. You just continue to wonder what is going on. Look, all of that sounded good. I hope families around. I'm hoping her dear friends are around. I hope she's okay. I quite frankly, she hasn't been charged with anything. We don't know for sure what this was about, what was going on with her at the time, so we have to leave room for that at the same time. But the headlines are there, and it's just I hate her having to go through another round of this stuff in her life and roads the part we talked about it right, if we were back in our own mainstream news, big broadcast network newsrooms, how this story would be covered and the way we feel about it now is much different. In this coverage, we like, the last thing I want to do is go back and rehash and say, yeah, she did this and then she did this thing bad and remember back then, and to stack all this stuff up. I know, I guess robe that's a part of the story and you're supposed to do, but it something about piling on or reminding people of her troubles feels awful, and I don't know want to look forward, want to be forward thinking and forward looking and future and hope for this young lady. But man, I just I hate it forbe.
Speaker 2: That makes a lot of sense, because I think if you can't outlive your past, if every time you do anything good or bad or neutral, they're always going to bring up that thing you did that made the headline, so people will click, so people ears will perk up, so people will feel like, Hey, at least my life isn't as bad as hers, you know. I really do think there's some psychology to that, and I do think it's important that we do recognize that and remember that as we choose not just what to cover, but how to cover it, and to cover this with compassion and empathy, and not to bring up only I would say only in the context of the fact that this woman this forty I want to say, young lady. Look, she's forty four years old, but in some way she'll always be sixteen. It's just how we remember her. But ever since two thousand and six, and even probably a little bit before then, you're talking twenty years of this of this woman who has I feel like, been crying for help and I am just hoping look to it brings tears to my eyes to hear reports that her sons, who are now twenty and nineteen, are going to now be spending time with her, because some of what she put on on social media was just this eight of not being able to see her sons, not having a relationship with her sons, being angry about not having a closeness with her sons, her mom. You know, there are reports that they're reaching out if this could bring Sometimes it does take tough times to bring people together, to re center people's agendas and to recognize that I I this is my daughter, this is my mother's let's figure this.
Speaker 1: Out, okay, And again that's fine, and I hope, I just I know it's her responsibility. She is an adult. An adult is not supposed to get behind the wheel impaired. Somebody could have been hurt, somebody could have been killed. Yes, you should be held responsible for those things. I just robes, how do you in a situation like this, Well, yes, she possibly is the person who did wrong, But Robes, there's a way to still look at somebody as a human being and not throw them away because of mistakes they make or even continue to make. And to I think you're right that, yes, there are some so stupid headlines that people trying to be cute about some song of hers and incorporate that into this DUI. Yep, that kind of crap is going to happen. But how do you just be a human being to this woman who is struggling? Once again? It appears, and I just I don't know, I don't She's not on a playlist of mine, but I love every single song she's I'm a fan of hers, I'm a fan of her music, and I just how did we let this treasure of ours, which I will say she is and we almost do feel like she belongs to all of us. She's just such a part of our lives. And I'm only real I'm forty eight, she's forty four. Yeah, I feel like she's fifteen years younger than I am because she was a kid when I first saw her, and I didn't realize, Oh yeah, I was kind of a kid, Toode you were at that time. It just oh, I can't say. I don't have the right words ropes for how to do and how to handle and how to view and how to cover and how to reach out and how to be compassionate not just to her, but to other people that we are so quick to take their worst moment and turn it into our punchline or our opportunity to get followers.
Speaker 2: I just hate it, Yeah, because no matter if you're Britney Spears or if you're Joe Smith next door, when people say negative, horrible, awful things about you, it hurts, It matters, it affects you. It impacts you, period. So I would say, maybe we take this, we root for her, we send her positive energy and love, and if you're going to make a comment online, say we're with you, we support you.
Speaker 1: We hope you find the help you need.
Speaker 2: That's the spirit in which to look at this story, and I hope we can all maybe do that and remember that when we see not just this story about Britney Spears, but other folks in the headlines who maybe are now having their worst moments displayed for the world to tear apart, dissect and have a comment on. So anyway, we do wish Britney Spears the best and we hope that this is a turning point for her. We absolutely thank you all for listening to us. As always, we appreciate we know we have many updates throughout the day, and we appreciate you clicking on our podcast. We will have many more throughout the weekend, so stay tuned. In the meantime, I made me Robach alongside TJ. Holmes.
Speaker 1: We will talk to you very soon.