Speaker 1: Welcome to this League Uncut in the world of twenty four hour NBA news, this news.
Speaker 2: Hello, Chris Haynes, it's so time, Markstein, it's so time.
Speaker 1: This League Uncut is underway and on fire. This should be a good one. Friends, Hello and welcome. Thank you for joining us on another edition of this League Uncut. Mark Stein and Chris Haynes here with you. We are recording on a Sunday night, and as long as technology cooperates, this will have been posted and published on the same Sunday night, because we wanted to get a jump on the week. It's a huge week in the NBA. The Draft is in the rearview mirror Friday at six pm Eastern Friday, just not even five full days away. At this point, the free agency opens officially legally, of course, we know that there may be a stray conversation or two happening that hasn't supposed to happen, or wasn't supposed to happen by the letter of the NBA law. But that is uh. It was actually two years ago, the one of my first summer on substack. I believe in the reason I even am paying attention to this stuff. Sorry to bore you with my truvialities, mister Haynes. But this Sunday was actually today is actually the birthday for my Substack year two. I'm two years my Substack is two years old, so that's why I'm kind of thinking in those terms. And I just remember, in my first year, my first summer doing Substack, a very wise league observer gave me this line, which I absolutely love and I've now run into the ground. But it's totally true. When the opening bell sounds for free agency at six pm Eastern on June thirtieth, it's not really the opening bell. It's a lot closer to the end of free agency than the beginning because the all the big ticket players know where they're going or have a pretty good idea. That's just the way it's evolved. And look next year, next season, you know, the new CBA drops or the new CBA takes effect basically when free agency starts, and one of the provisions in the new CBA is the day after the finals, teams can start negotiating at least with their own free agents right away. And so that means that theoretically we can start having some verbal agreements that emerge shortly after the finals. It won't necessarily have to wait until June thirtieth. We will start to hear, oh, you know, so and so has reached a verbal agreement to sign such and such a deal that won't be executed until after June thirtieth. But because the CBA doesn't go into effect until June thirtieth, last July first, that particular rule did not take effect after the finals. We just saw so after the Nuggets win it all in five and finish off Miami this season, there was no such commencement of negotiating with your own free agents. But that'll be an interesting change next summer that before the draft, we're gonna have some free agent deals spill out. But look, enough of me blabbering. We got a lot to cover. Let's get to it. Let us start, mister Haynes with Draymond Green. Earlier on this Sunday, I reported that there are strong signals that the Warriors are headed to a multi year deal with Draymond Green. The latest projection i'm getting it's most likely three years. Look, I don't think that's really some surprise. Now that the Warriors have traded yours and pool away, they did that in large part to give themselves the financial flexibility to resign Draymond Green and re signed Klay Thompson in the future to do that comfortably. However, the Sacramento Kings, in Chris Haynes's adopted hometown, the nine to one six the Kings, they made a sneaky little draft night move to dumper Shawn Holmes and now they they technically have the ability to create more than thirty million in salary cap space, and that has led a lot of people to think the Kings would go hard after Draymond Green. Do your hometown Kings have any chance of recruiting Draymond away from the Warriors? I would say no.
Speaker 2: This reminds me and I don't know if it would get this far. But back when I was at ESPN, so this had to been trying to think the year I went was it twenty sixteen, sixteen seven? So one of those years it was sixteen and seventeen I was covering the Warriors for ESPN. Did I cover Andre Iglo dollars free agency? The Kings went after him hard hard, and I did a really in depth story. I was pretty I was, I was, I was you know, that was That was something that was a story that I was proud of going in depth on. If people want to get get an understanding of what free agency is like, especially when you have multiple suitors and you're taking meetings and you want to hear the pitches and kind of the elaborate things that these teams come up with to try to entice the player, please go I don't know if I want to go. It ain't too often I say go back and listen to it. I mean, go back and read the story from one about old stumping grounds. But if you find yourself doing that, go ahead and do it. I don't say that often, but it was really good. But the Kings are one of the teams that was in on andre Iguadala and they wanted you. You know how obviously the vet used to be who used to what it used to be minor one of the minority owners the Golden State Wars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, part of the part of the one of the minority.
Speaker 2: We know how he feels about the Warriors. He wants to take them down. He wants to be the team. Uh, he wants to be the biggest team the northern part of California, And so that was one of the ways. Obviously, Igwalla was a very good player still at that time, and he wanted I Dollar bad. He wanted the weakend the Golden State Warriors team, and he felt like bringing on Ingwa Dollar that would play a major part in that mission. And so that mission is still ongoing. See he got Mike Brown brought over Mike Brown, you know, a little by little, And there's no doubt in my mind Steinn that if Draymond Green gave them the time, or if Draymond went the route of taking meetings, I don't know if it to get to that point, but if you if you went the route of taking meetings, I would think he would give Sacramento a shot and the Kams will put all their efforts into trying to snag him away. That they would want nothing more than try to weakend that Golden State Warriors team. So, but I don't think it's going to happen. I definitely do think Draymond Green is resigning. You know, I've heard, you know, similar things to what you've reported in your substack. Congratulations of two years. But nah, I don't I don't see I don't see Draymond exit. Not right now.
Speaker 1: Well, look, one of the highlights. I mean, you know, we're basically five months old now this podcast, and let's face it, one of the highlights we've had on this pod is having Draymond join us, and he said it. We talked at length on this pod about how much he wants to retire a Warrior, and then when the Warrior season ended, he really couldn't have said it much clear. He was up there at the podium and he said, I want to ride out with the guys I rode in with. And I also reported today that before Memphis traded for Marcus Smart, that I don't know how the Grizzlies were going to do it. I don't have the salary cap smarts to understand this, but I've had too many people I trust tell me that the Grizzlies were scheming somehow to make a credible run at Draymond Green. In the checking I've done on the math, even before the Marcus Smart trade, I don't think they had cap room. I think they only had the full mid level, which is twelve point four million. That's not enough to construct an offer to get Draymond Green. He's going to get a healthy, multi year deal wherever he goes. And again, I do think it's going to be Golden State, and I do think the three year projection is a wise place to start. I don't know how Memphis was going to do it, but I keep hearing that the Grizzlies wanted him, and that's that's just as delicious as the thought of Draymond talking to the Kings. Is Draymond talking to the Grizzlies after everything those two teams have been together. But he was never gonna lack for options. But I just whether he came on our pod or not, I just I cannot imagine Draymond Green not playing next to Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson.
Speaker 2: I can't pike sure. He was never going to have a lack of options, because you know, that's always been a false narrative about Draymond, is that, well, he's only valuable to the Warriors, he wouldn't have the same impact on a different team. Yeah, first of all, we don't know that. But second of all, Man, there are multiple, multiple star players who've been trying behind the scenes for years trying to persuade Draymond Green to leave Golden State and to partner up with them and lead their defense. So that narrative is just false. It comes out of I don't know where it comes from. Draymond has a unique skill set. It's probably a skill set that people probably don't like, but it's a winning skill set. He knows his road, he does it well. He's a perfectionist in what he does, and he goes out there and produces, He executes, doesn't have an ego when they're talking about on the basketball court, So he was going to have suitors and the Golden State Warriors. You think about it. You know, we've been here over the last couple of years especially you know we heard it with during the KD era in Golden State's Draymond Green, has you worn out as welcome? Are they gonna let Draymond go? We saw, you know, with the Jordan Poole incident. Oh this is it. You know, everybody was pretty certain that this is going to be the last year that Draymond was going to be on the team. Look what happened. Jordan Poole was was shipped out to Washington and sounds like Draymond Green is on the verge of resigning on a multi year deal. So that shows you the value not only other teams, but the value that Golden State Warriors still have is Draymond and the belief that they still have in him, that he can still do what he do what he does at a high level.
Speaker 1: Look, he has his flaws, he has his critics. He's been justifiably criticized on the number of occasions. He's a polarizing guy. A lot of fans don't like him, some opposing players don't like him. But the man is a winning basketball player above all. He is a defensive genius. But above all, he is a winning basketball player and that's why. Look, the Lakers have no way to get him. But I'm sure you saw the pictures of Lebron and Draymond on vacation together. I'm sure the Lakers would love they don't have a way to do it. I'm sure they would love to get Draymond Green. The team in my city, Dallas, I'm sure they would love if there was a way to get Raymond Green. But it's not gonna happen. He ain't switching teams. We should talk about Jordan Poole. I have to you know, I'm a little I got to give the Warriors credit here, and you know, Mike Dunley the first week on the job as a GM, I thought it would be much harder to trade Jordan Poole in this financial climate, after the struggles he had in the playoffs. That really, to me was the most surprising element of the trade that Washington. That's saying. We thought Washington was stripping this thing down all the way and you know, just didn't want any kind of long term money. So super interesting that Washington wanted Pool. Now, whether that's to keep him, whether that's to maybe look to move him down the line, we don't know yet. But I mean, did you did you think the Warriors could move Jordan Poole this quickly?
Speaker 2: No, it was. It wasn't on my radar. Jordan wasn't on my radar at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me, neither. I mean it was not this. That was not the move.
Speaker 2: I now I knew I was. Golden State had interest in Chris Paul. I think I brought I brought that up on our last part that was before the trade went down. I was pretty sold on the fact that I think Chris Paul was going to make his way to the Clippers. I think when Chris Paul speaks about this. I think he'll even say that as well. So I knew there was interest, I guess I didn't when I heard there was interest, I guess I assumed there was interest if Chris Paul was waived. That's the way, That's the way I kind of thought about it. I didn't know that there was going to be a full on trade to acquire Chris Paul Jordan Poole. That completely caught me off guard. And then I think for the most part, whoever the thinking was, whoever acquired Chris Paul, wherever, whoever, that he was going to be waved and his contract was not going to be guaranteed. And then we're seen that when Chris Paul was traded to Washington, got what about about nine to ten million more added to his salary, you know, due to that trade. And you know, I spoke to people over the Warriors. They are not waiving Chris Paul. He is a Golden State war remember the Golden State Warriors. That's crazy to say that he will be playing with Stephen Curry, Draymond, Greg Klay, Thompson, and Stein. Shocking, shocking, probably probably most shocking.
Speaker 1: Look, I cannot I cannot wait to see it. I can't wait to see it. I mean, it makes complete financial sense what the Warriors have done here to move Pool out, they had to get they had to shed one significant contract at least. And after the season we just witnessed. You knew that if they had a choice, it would be Jordan Poole. I just didn't think they would have the choice. But the trade became available, they made it. They've shed Jordan Poole's contract. It makes things. They've got flexibility now going forward because Chris Paul only has the one guaranteed year left on his deal, even if he gets the full thirty point eight million. And look, Chris Paul himself is a basketball genius. He is still a highly productive player, too smart and too good to joining a team full of very smart players. They're all two whys and they've all been around the block. They should figure this out. And that's what common sense tells you. But like you just hinted at it, just I can't see it. And that clip, I'm sure you've seen it. It's been making the rounds all weekend. Draymond Green appearing on Steven Jackson and Matt Barnes's podcast on showtime. Hey, I mean, here's what he says.
Speaker 2: I don't like CP at all, Like we don't have a good relationship at all. But I respect his hustle and I respect his I Q he's smart as hell.
Speaker 1: So how is that? How is that gonna go?
Speaker 2: How is that gonna I know they've talked. I know, I know Chris Paul have talked to Stephan Curry. He talked to Draymond. One thing about this is this is this is I'm gonna tell you about Draymond Starn And I know from experience and I know from close up and personal just you know, working the sidelines for T and T. In the heat of the moment, Draymond will say pretty much whatever. In the heat of the moment. Draymond's filter, there's no filter. The filter disappears in the heat of the moment. But then with these subside and everything, you know, he booves on, He moves on, you know, being him, has some has some disagreements, you know, my time covering the Warriors and we you know, he's had some things to me and I've said some things, and and he kept it moving. He kept it moving. We all keep it moving. And so that's one thing I respect about him, so as h so as as egregious as that might have that clip might have sounded Draymond those remarks he had about Chris Paul. You know, Draymond is somebody that I know that that's moved forward and it's looking forward to potentially looking forward to potentially teaming up with CP and doing you know, doing some making some magic happen. I will say that, you know, the Chris Paul Stephen Curry dynamic that that is, you know, that's something I'm looking forward to seeing. I know they I know they talked, know they had a good conversation, but you know, I want to see that.
Speaker 1: The way they've already connected, they've already connected. Even that is the list trying to imagine that. I mean, Chris Foulow is a constant, He's been a constant opponent throughout these eight nine years of Warriors glory.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the thing about it, the Clippers were supposed to remember, the Clippers was the team that was supposed to be on that rise. Then the Golden State Warriors came in there and shook up the Western Conference and took it over and never really gave it up except for a few windows due to injuries. But you know it was supposed to be the Clippers run, and so it's gonna you know, it's gonna be interesting. I like it. That's why I like sports, man. I like because stein I play, you know, I'm just equated to my own little pickup experience. Thus far. There's guys that when I go, when I'm playing against them, man, I want to kill them. Start, I want to crush them. I look forward to going up against them because sometimes they get the best of me sometimes and a lot of times I should say I get the best of them. But then there are sometimes where we have to team up and I'm like, you know what, I would rather go against you, but there is a mutual respect I have for you. Let's go out there and get it done. And we go out there and we play. And so I like. I like this dynamic of being foes for so long, rivals for so long, then coming together, putting out all behind you and knowing that you know, there's mutual respect between both sides. Now let's go out there and see what we can accomplish together. And I like, I like seeing that that can happen.
Speaker 1: How crazy, How crazy would it be if Chris Paul finally wins that elusive ring. But it's as a warrior. Yeah, it's just like I said, you just say that out loud, and it's just loud.
Speaker 2: I mean it is, and I know some people. Look, I didn't want to go down that rabbit hole I was about, you know, because then people you got people that were saying, well, he had to do it this way, he had to do well. It ain't like he picked the wars. He was traded to the wars. Yeah, oh yeah, I mean people people, yeah, like that's he was traded there. They want they want him, and so they feel like they need him or else they wouldn't have they wouldn't have done that. So you know, we'll know, we'll No, I don't know what's going to happen, but I'm definitely hey, I'll bet more Golden State Warrior games for sure. No.
Speaker 1: I was just gonna ask you. I mean, obviously you don't know your schedule for October, but if you were guessing first day of training camp, I mean, you gotta go to Golden State, right, you gotta see you gotta see this with your own eyes. I know you'd rather go to the Kings because it's a it's a short drive away from Charlene's beauty supply, but you might you might have to go to you might have to go to Golden State because one of the first questions to me is who kind of referee? Is this on the players to put it all behind them? Is this Steve Kerr has to get all these guys in this on the same thing.
Speaker 2: I think he's players.
Speaker 1: Kind of think the players are.
Speaker 2: Players, and I think most of those talks have been had, and I think most of it is in the rear view already. I think they're focused on the task at hand. And to answer your questions Stein about where I would be for media Day, I don't know if it's on. I was on the you know, I did the Lakers last year, and for the most part, they kept me on the Western Conference, which I'm ecstatic about. That's fine, didn't have to travel too far. But Bron still resonates, you know, he hasn't. I believe, you know, Bron's gonna come back and play next year, but he still hasn't came out and said anything himself on if he's coming back or when he's coming back. You know, he left it kind of vague out there. You know, he told me he doesn't know if he's going to be I'm going back what he got eliminated. Told me he doesn't know if he's going to be there and start a training camp. So that's the storyline. Go to State's the storyline. I don't know. I don't know where I would be.
Speaker 1: The Kings are a storyline too. I mean, they've got you know they're going to do I like I like I said, Draymond Green is staying with the Warriors based on everything I've been told. But the Kings are going to do something with that salary cap space, and they will. They will certainly extend Domana Sabonis. I think that's a big part of why they needed to create that extra room. But they are going to make upgrades they do. You know, they don't want to make this a one time playoff thing. So I think the Kings are going to do something. You had mentioned that you know, you had been hearing for days really that the Clippers had a real chance to trade for Chris Paul. And as I've reported once or twice, you know, the Lakers were really hoping that Chris Paul would be waived and make it to unrestricted free agency so they could have a shot at him. Who do you think it hurts more the Lakers or the Clippers that he ends up Chris Paul ends up with the war neither team was expecting.
Speaker 2: I think it's it hurts the Clippers more because I believe the Clippers felt like they had the best shot to get them and I and I can say, and you know, I don't want to speak for Chris Paul and I wait to eat, you know, till he addresses it. But you know, I think he probably believed that he was going to be a member of the Clippers. So with that being said, the Clippers felt like they needed needed a floor general, neither real floor general to kind of manage things over there with that roster. I was kind of, you know, even you know, even though I was under the assumption that I thought Cep would end up with the Clippers, I was still kind of questioning, you know, can Cep and Russ? Would that work? You know that so right now they don't have to worry about that problem anymore. But yeah, I think I didn't. I think it hurts the Clippers more because I think they were probably a little bit more invested in trying to get to get him any other team, but we saw the war is a lot more and probably a lot more invested, even the Clippers.
Speaker 1: And look it is. You know, I think the misread for me and probably other teams out there was Chris Paul did have trade value. You know, there was an assumption that when Washington took him on in the original Bradley Beal trade, that they would waive him before June thirtieth. But they did, as you already noted, they had to increase the value of the guarantee on Chris's contract initially had he just been in Phoenix. The original plan from the Suns, and yes, people, this was the original plan. I'm going to say it again. This was the message from the Suns to Chris Paul and his camp. We are going to waive you. The part that wasn't transmitted clearly was we're going to win if we don't trade you. Had the Suns been unable to trade Chris Paul, they would have waived him on June twenty eighth, and they would have gotten out of next season's thirty point eight million at only fifteen point eight million. But there was more of a trade market for Chris Paul than even the Suns realized. The Wizards clearly had no intention of waving Chris Paul. They were confident that they could turn around and do something with his contract. And the Wizards have been proven. The Wizards have been getting a lot of criticism for what they got for Beal, what they did in you know, turning Chris Paul around. What they got for perzingis you know, they didn't get first round picks, and either the deal for Bal or perzingis So the Wizards have been taking a lot of criticism, but you know what, the Wizards proved that they were able to move Chris Paul and they've been super active. And I don't think the Wizards are done. So he was never now we can say we didn't know it maybe a week ago or ten days ago, but the Lakers were never really gonna have a chance at Chris Paul because he was gonna get he was gonna get traded, and his contract was more moveable than initially thought. And the Warriors will zoom right to the top, maybe not undisputed number one, but they will be right up there with I mean, look, the Spurs are there with Wemby, and I'm sure we could list other teams, teams that are in that are generating the highest level of intrigue at the start of the season. We can make a list. But the Warriors will be in the top five. If you've got Chris Paul in that locker room, they will be in the top star.
Speaker 2: What about Santonio? You don't think I'll be media danced with the Spurs.
Speaker 1: I mean, I suppose it's possible, but no, I think actually, you're gonna get said. I think you're I think you're gonna be in Golden State.
Speaker 2: Okay, think you about right. We'll see go to State of the Lakers.
Speaker 1: For you. It's gonna be Lakers or Warriors. Let's be honest.
Speaker 2: No, you would get no complaints from me, No grtes for me. Easy trip.
Speaker 1: What you don't want to go to San Antonio?
Speaker 2: I would say I like Sanatorio probably more than most people. You know. I think people when they think of Texas, they think of Dallas and Houston for the most part. I would probably put San Antonio above Houston for me. I'm thinking Dallas san Antonio being Houston in that order for me.
Speaker 1: A preference I absolutely love San Antonio. It was one of the first stops on my first trip as an NBA writer, way way way way back in the second half of the nineteen ninety three ninety four season, covering the Clippers for the La Daily News. San Antonio was not the first stop, but it was on that first trip, and I don't know what it was. I just felt so at home there. I loved it. I've never lived in San Antonio. I've obviously lived in Dallas for a quarter century now, but I love it in San Antonio. Love visiting always felt incredibly welcome, so for my purely selfish traveling purposes, because remember, remember, people, sports writers, we root for hotels and restaurants, not.
Speaker 2: To hotales and restaurants. And one more in Miami. You and in Miami.
Speaker 1: I mean I love Miami too, but after March, that humidity is no joke. Up till March, I am good. October to March I am good. But uh yeah, so I'm not. I am not heartbroken that Victor wemen Yama ended up in the Alamo City, a short one hour flight away for me, and I hope that means that I will be making many more frequent trips to San Antonio my Feld. I mean, I'm such a I'm such a San Antonio nerd that I went to the I went to the game in the Alamodome this season just because I could not bear to miss it. The Spurs were playing in the Albumodome when I started, I could not miss it, and it was it was a very very weird and nostalgic trip back to that.
Speaker 2: Jim Stein, one thing I want to say before we transition to the next topic. We was talking about the Kings, the cap space they have. Now we kind of dismissed Dremond going there. What about another name? Just throw a possibility out there, Stinn, let's just talk. Nope, aggregators, I'm not reporting anything. I'm just throwing a name out there. What do you think about Kyle Kuzma? Stein?
Speaker 1: The Kings have been linked to Kyle Kuzma for many, many eons, and I personally am quite a Kyle Kuzma fan. However, Mike Brown, former guest on this podcast, neighbor in the nine to one six, Mike Brown, look, I know the Kings had this world record offense this season. I ain't buying it. Mike Brown is still a defense first coach, and so I just wonder he's already got some bonus. Kyle Kuzma is not known as a defense first player, so would Mike Brown. Is that the sort of player Mike Brown is looking to add? Don't aggregate me either, because this is purely my observation what I see, what I read. But that would be my question. And like I said, I am I am a huge Kyle Kuzma fan. I think he's an underrated player. I mean, he was a ridiculous bargain at thirteen million. He's obviously opting out of that to become a free agent now, so let's see. But I mean, you, what do you think You're closer to the Kings than me, and you're closer to Mike Brown than me?
Speaker 2: I think. I don't know. I don't know. I haven't heard anything. I'm just throwing it out there. It could it could make sense. But STEI, you know, Mike Brown has changed. He's going through a bit of a transformation period. He's now an offensive genius coach.
Speaker 1: That's what people say. But like I said, I ain't buying. That was actually one of the questions I wanted to ask him when we had Mike on the first time, but we were throwing so many things at him we ran out of time. I really want to ask him how comfortable he is with this label that he is now a supposed offense first coach, because I ain't buying it that he's good with that. I'm just not.
Speaker 2: I just want to throw that out there. I want to see what see what the no.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's it's a worthy question because if I if i'm if I'm if I am correct that, uh, you know, Raymond Green is essentially off the market, which again, those are all the signals I'm getting Sacramento's going to turn their attention to someone. Is that bringing back Harrison Barnes or is that going outside the organization to pursue a Kyle Kuzma or someone else. So we'll get our answers here shortly. But I do not think you're alone in asking about Kyle Kuzma and Sacramento. Same question pertains to Kyle Kuzma and Indiana the Pacers. They have a need at that position. I've written about how they have interested in Harrison Barnes. The Pacers have two huge Harrison Barnes fans in that organization. With Tyreez Halliburton, of course, his former King's teammate, and Rick Carlisle Barnes, former Mavericks coach. But Kyle Kuzma's another name that's come up in Indiana. So the Wizards, they've cleared Bell out, they've cleared Porzingis out. Are they going to participate in a sign and trade with Kyle or just lose him out?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: There's a you are wise to bring him up because there are a lot of questions pertaining to Kyle Kuzma that we don't quite have the answers for. I'm gonna ask you now about James Harden. The noise continue used to rise, the rumbles get louder that he's now staying in Philly. There's a lot of momentum behind that idea. From your seat, what do you think do the Rockets still have a chance to steal James Harden to lure him back to his beloved Houston? Do the Rockets even want that?
Speaker 2: This is a hard one to gauge for me right now, because it keeps changing. If you would have asked me, I don't know a month ago, I would have probably said with confidence that I believe these Leanatorius going back to Houston. I haven't heard that over the last few weeks. Ah it's June twenty fifth as we record this right now. If you're asking me, hey, I'm saying it sounds like he's staying in Philly. Sounds like that's what's going to happen. You know, think about think about last year starning, Think about last summer when let me see, he opted out, He opted out of his contract. He took less to bring on, to be able to bring on PJ. Tucker, Daniel House leaves somebody else. Then midway during the season, we start hearing Houston reunion rumors. I'm like, hold on, he took a major pay cut to help build the team, and you know, we thought with the hopes of him getting more on the back end next summer, and now he's gonna leave and just go. And so it was. It was weird. It was weird time timing and it was just weird. Just think about him going back, because you know, Houston had some nice young players that they're trying to build up. But we know that the owner over there, Tillman, he he wants to win. And so Philly is what I'm Philly is what I'm hearing right now. I'm not real confident in that because I think things can change, but if you're asking me right now, that's what I will say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it sounds like the max is not on the table in either case. At least that is the latest rumble we'll see. I mean there's been, like you said, there's been James Harden chatter for literally six months, maybe even longer, so there's a lot to sift through. I mean, the latest thing I heard was that he came out of his meeting with Nick Nurse, the new Philly coach, intrigued by what Nick Nurse had to say. But yeah, definitely the leanings. I think if you pulled thirty front offices, more than not would say that they expect James Harden to stay in Philly. But yeah, could be a long week, could be some changes there. You reported earlier on this Sunday that the Suns have now decided, Okay, we're gonna move forward and try to make the DeAndre ayten thing work. And I definitely do see that as a new development on this Sunday, because I reported this in my Sunday notebook, I was told strenuously that as recently as Thursday night. On Draft Night, the Suns very much did explore trade possibilities for Aight and so as of Thursday night, they were still looking for potential trade partners for Aighton. But they've been scouring the market. They're not getting anywhere close to the offers that they want. By all accounts, the offers that they've been presented with don't include future firsts. So and look, let's be on Frank Vogel really wants to coach this guy. Frank Vogel teams have always had a rim protecting center, and Vogel has spoken very openly about how much he wants the chance to get DeAndre Ayton to an all star level.
Speaker 2: So Ayden wants to be Yeah, Ayton wants to be in a situation where he feels his coach has is back. That's just that's just was It's something he felt prior.
Speaker 1: And we'll see because look, I mean, the case for trading Ayton is obviously if the Suns break his contract up into two or three pieces, that's one way they get some depth. Because they don't just need depth. They don't just need bodies, but they do need wings and shooting and more rebounding. So it's like that there is a case to be made that if the right deal presents itself, turning one long term deal into a couple contracts that are shorter, that could really work for Phoenix, because I mean, look, their main three going forward are Durant, Booker, and Beale. I think Ayton is very distinctly number four on that list, and I think he knows it. So as much as Frank Vogel wants to coach him and is trying to pump him up, I don't think there's gonna be any fooling DeAndre Ayton about that reality.
Speaker 2: And one thing, I just want to make sure that DeAndre Ayton is not untouchable. If the Sun's got a deal in their future or later down the road that they felt like they couldn't refuse, he would be traded. That's just what it is right now. But the intel that I gattered this morning was that they're moving forward with the plan that he will be their opening day start and seer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if the offers are no good, they've got to try to make it work. But you know, again, I think I want to underline as recently as Thursday night, based on what I've been told, they were actively looking for potential trades. So let's not omit that very important clarification, all right, last thing probably the topic everybody's been wanting us to get to, but I don't know that there's really a whole lot new since Draft night. As the world's foremost damologist, what do you foresee? Is there anything this week that happens on the Damian Lillard front or does he? Does he give this thing a chance to see? You know, let free agency play out, Let summer league go. Let us get our first look at Scoot Henderson in summer league? Is this a later in July kind of conversation? What does what does Chris Haynes foresee?
Speaker 2: Here? So Damian Liller is expected to meet with general manager Joe cronin this week. There hasn't been There has not been a date scheduled yet for that meeting. So as soon as we get word of that, everybody else will be informed of that. How that meeting goes, I don't know, But what I do know is Blairs want to get in front of Damian lillar it kind of explain their approach, go through some of the targets that they're trying to lock in on going into free and see explain the vision the draft plans. Because I reported this on draft day, Stile that Dame had not communicated with the Portland trail Blazers in recent days and that is unusual style. I wanted to cut Dame's in Paris. And I know people that probably don't like hearing real news. They may say, well, he's in Paris. Of course he's not going to hear. No, you talked to your I was talking to Dame in Paris. You know, you can get in touch with them. You can get in touch with anybody while they're out of the country. And Dame was watching the draft, very important pick number three pick for the Portland trail Visers. So and Joe Cronin confirmed that the last time he spoke to Dame was Tuesday, which was two days before, but since then it's been just communication with his agent, Aaron Goodwin. So this will be the first time that he whenever this meeting is, this will be the first time that he was going to be able to sit in front of Joe Cronin and talk talk things out. I don't know how this is going to go. I don't know what Dame is going to say. I don't know what he's going to try to get done, but it hasn't changed. And the the explanation, as far as what I got on why Dame hasn't didn't communicate with the Blazers, I was just told that, you know, he's just trying to disconnect from everything for a little while. Take that for whatever's worth, however you want to take that. So that's what's that's that's just what we're happening. I guess we just got to wait to see how this meeting goes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't sit here and say that I am as curious as Damian Lillard about those Portland plans. But I'm pretty darn curious too, because we know it's been well chronicled that they want to bring back Jeremy Grant. But beyond that, what else? What else is there? Or is this is this all about scoot going forward? A lot of questions, a lot of questions.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you one thing. One thing hasn't changed. He wants to win now, now, he wants to roster improve now. Nothing has changed, nothing at all. So you know it's going to be it's going to be riveting to see how this how that meeting I posed?
Speaker 1: All right, well, I know when that meeting happens, you will be all over it. So I'm going to defer further comment until that meeting, and maybe hopefully that meeting happens before the next pod so we can react to it. We are going to close with a trivia question Chris Paul Chris Haynes. Chris Paul has played twelve hundred and fourteen regular season games and one hundred and forty nine playoff games. How many times has he come off the bench?
Speaker 2: Whoo? I'm going to say zero, and.
Speaker 1: You win the prize of nothing. You do, win the prize. You are correct. He has never come off the bench, yet another layer of this amazing Chris Paul to the Bay Area Story. Cannot wait to see how it turns out. All right, guys, I think we covered a pretty good on this aditial.
Speaker 2: Thing to say, hold on, got losh, so you get put lower lower expectations, lower expectations if not one of those. I just want to say this at the end our next pot, which we're doing on Tuesday, that's going to be a live pot at me and my wife's store, Charlie's Goodly Supply Store elk Grove, California, Sacramento area. We're doing a live pot where it's gonna be fans and attendance and our guests will be Sacramento Kings Guard Davion Mitchell this Tuesday, June twenty seven, and I want to urge you because this pot is dropping in time for you guys that's in the Sacramento area to go to Charlotte's Beauty Supply Store open from ten to six, buy you a ticket to be in attendance. We got forty seats available, a little bit less than that now, but come in. The tickets will be fifty dollars. Get you in there. You can have a chance to engage. I'll have a little interaction segment for the fans with Devon after the pod, but come in and just check out live pod. I did not have enough money to fund to be able to fly Steyn from Dallas to Sacramento, but he will be there on on the pod, so you still will hear him, you still will see him. Will have a nice setup at the store. I got a big eighty four inch screen TV in the store. We kind of check us all out so please definitely for all our loyal listeners, please tune in for that. But s importantly, I want you guys to come out in sacrament Area. Come out, get a ticket and be a part of the audience. And if you still can't get a ticket, we'll still encourage you to come in. You know, you can hang outside the store. We'll have speakers, have a DJ. Stein. You missing out on everything, Stan.
Speaker 1: I know, and it's not your fault, it's my fault. I I just physically cannot get there on Tuesday for reasons that I'm not going to bore everyone with. But this is big news because this is the first live show in show history and it will be as Chris said at Charlene's Beauty Supply in Elk Grove, California, Chris Haynes and daveon Mitchell Live, the has been Stein check it in from Afar and it is it is. Let's just put it like this. It will not be the last. It will not be the last live show of the twenty twenty three off season. It will be the first in history and not the last. That's the most we can say at this point. But it is our not so clever way of saying that we have further surprises plan for you. But that'll be that'll be quite a thing to see you and daveon together talking hoop, talking about the Kings, talking about maybe maybe he knows what maybe he knows what Mike Brown wants to and the front office want to do with that free agent cash. Maybe he'll break the news to us.
Speaker 2: Let's hope. So but Avion, he's one of the best defenders in the league, one of the most strongest guards we have in the league. So I'm sure he has a lot of stories that he can tell. And let's see what we can ask him what players he's looking to try to pick up in the off season. So all that more so, please y'all, if you're the sacrament area, please come out, come get a ticket. Tickets are running low, seats are limited. Please come get a ticket, Come check it out. That's all I want to stay STI I'm no, that's good.
Speaker 1: No, I was gonna no, that was good, and I was gonna I mean, we weren't going to admit that part. I wasn't like rushing you off the line. That is a huge development for our humble little show. So please everyone, please rate review and subscribe to This League Uncut via Apple Podcasts, Spotify, wherever you get your pods, and remember just for your calendar Tuesday afternoon and we'll put that episode out asap Tuesday afternoon. Davion Mitchell on This League Uncut, and we do hope that the planets align and we can get in at least one more pod before free agency starts Friday at six pm Eastern Time, June thirtieth. Summer League is around the corner, Free agency almost here. Lots going on, tons to talk about, and like I said, I think we've covered be a very good amount of ground tonight. Everybody, Thanks for being with us. Back with you in just a couple of days and that'll do it for us. See you next time. This League Uncut it is and iHeartRadio production. Don't sake a look up, Christine did Mark Stime