Speaker 1: It's time for another episode of Patch from the Past, Matt Smith alongside with Brian Mori, and we're pleased to be joined by our first ever demo repeat guest. And who better to have, especially this time of year, than number twenty four in your program, but number one in our hearts, Ty Law Hall of Fame, Ty Law. Ty how you doing, man, I'm good, Man good. Thanks for having me repeat, first repeat, best repeat.
Speaker 2: Yeah. See that's what I'm talking about, man, see happy, happy, happy to be here for the second time. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So it's setting the bar higher time. Get it right.
Speaker 1: So let's remind people Tye very importantly what Ty Law is doing for those of you. This is a podcast, so it's audio, but we have the pleasure of looking at Ty at his home and he's a smart businessman because product placement, as he knows, is very important. Let everybody know what you're doing these days.
Speaker 2: Ty Well. Right now, I'm a partner and owner of the v One brand small batch premium vodka and we are the official vodka the Pro Football Hall of Fame. So this is my passion right now, pride and joy. So I'm happy about it, happy about the direction that we're going but you know, guys, this is the cleanest, smoothest vodka that you ever taste. I promise, And I like to challenge everybody for a taste test because every time I line it up and not tell anybody what it is, and I'll put a couple of different vodkas taste it. I am one undefeated now, and I know it's gonna come a time where somebody just gonna like somebody something different. That's why I kind of want to quit. But right now I'm I'm well over thirty taste tests and one every last one of them. So I'm excited about it, man.
Speaker 3: And I can I can share that I've given it to a couple of people and cleanest, smoothest vodka.
Speaker 2: That they never had.
Speaker 1: Full disclaimer, Brian, we are both fans of the product, would you say? Yeah, definitely and tight it's been.
Speaker 3: He hasn't offer me money to endorse it though.
Speaker 1: It's been about a year, ty since you've been in this. Is that right?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, it's been about a year.
Speaker 1: How's it going? Do you like it?
Speaker 2: I mean it's going good. I mean we were supposed to really kick off a lot of things last year, you know, being uh introduced as the official Boka for the Hall of Fame. But unfortunately for everyone, you know, in every industry, you know, the pandemic and COVID it hit us all. But uh, you know, we're still been moving, uh uh in a pretty good pace. We got picked up in Florida this month, so we're going to be launching in Florida. We're in Michigan, throughout New England, New Jersey. We're gonna be launching soon in New Jersey. So uh, you know, you take it, you know, one customer at a time and just keep spreading the word and hopefully you know, everyone enjoys as much as I do. But I really believe in the product. And you know, I was fortunate enough to uh sell my other business, you know, launch Trampoline Park prior to the pandemic, and uh you know that that that was a blessing in itself because I wanted to put all my energy into v one.
Speaker 1: What I tell you what, you must say some prayer at night for that piece of good luck. In all seriousness, I mean, I know you and I talked about something different in people saying wow, what a master stroke, brilliant business move by Todd Tye. But you know that that had a little bit of good fortune in it as well, didn't it Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, You don't take anything, you know for granted. It was something that has been in the makings for a few months, you know, because you know, I wanted to go in a different direction. I mean, I'm a strong advocate for lunch. You know, that was that was my first baby, my first four rate into business. But you know, I knew it was a means to an end and I just wanted to do something different. But it was a stroke of luck that I was able to, you know, close you know, that deal prior to the pandemic, because I can guarantee that it wouldn't happen just because of the unknown. Now we're starting to pick back up and Launch is moving forward again, and you know, at at a slower pace. But like I said, I'm still a huge advocate. I'm a huge fan of Launch and hopefully launching every other bit that's out there recover from this pandemic because it's hit everybody hard.
Speaker 3: To get hit hard, ty you know, we got the Hall of Fame voting coming up, the Pro Bowl. There's no Pro Bowl this year, but you know, we had some guys that are selected, and I guess they just send the jerseys now so for this year because there's no actual game. But do you remember going to a Pro Bowl and winning MVP and then what was that experience like for you?
Speaker 2: Oh? I mean it was awesome, It was funny. I was just talking to Keishawn Johnson on his show this morning. We talked about because we share the m v P, but we ain't had no damn we're supposed to split the car least down the middlee We had a car sponsor every year before, and when we got the m v P, no car sponsor. The car sponsor got picked back up. So it was obviously a conspiracy against myself a Keyshawn because we ain't get no car trophy and we got a damn plaque and now I didn't get it. It's on the wall. But I could have used the car at that time a lot more, you know.
Speaker 1: All Right, little trivia question for people who might not know Ty the team that lost the AFC Championship back in those days, that was the coach of the Pro Bowl. So the coach of the Pro Bowl for your for you was supposed to be Bill Parcells. Who coached the ninety eight Pro Bowl team.
Speaker 2: Ninety eight Pro Bowl the year that you were MVP.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna guess it was Bill Parcells assistant.
Speaker 2: It was Bill.
Speaker 1: It was Bill Belichick who was the coach of the ninety eight team.
Speaker 2: Se Ye, I didn't know that. I didn't know that because once you get over there, Look, I gotta be honest. Half the time, you know, even though we played real football and it wasn't flag football like it is now, you know, you kind of lose track of days being down there at the I Hill Hountie and you know, getting a couple of drinks because you you know, we're playing football, but we're on vacation at the same time. So it's some of that stuff was a hey as a cloud, you know, because they got like, you know, Peyton Manning feeding you my ties all day that.
Speaker 1: I mean, that was information, right, And the players loved that, didn't they too? Tye. I mean the fact that you guys can go to Hawaii, bring your families, bring your girlfriends, whatever, and just chill out and talk ball with other guys and have a good time your season's over. That was a great trip, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah? It was amazing. And you know, I always said that I would never take a trip to Hawaii until I made the Pro Bowl. That's just what I did for myself. I said the same thing when it came to can I am never stepping foot and Can until if I have opportunity to go to Hall of Fame. But that changed because you know, one of my best friends went before me, so I had to go support him and Curtis Mars. So that was the first time it was actually motivating. It's like, man, I would love to have this opportunity as well one day. But you know, the Pro Bowl, I think, guys, they need to put it back in Hawaii. I think it should be after the season. I know they're trying to do somewhat of a you know, NBA formatt and let the season keep on going for whatever their reason are. They're the experts, not me. But I know from a player's perspective, you know, if you get that honor, you're definitely not gonna I mean, why not do what we did? We won and won the Super Bowl and then we went right over to the Pro Bowl. Guess what, you know, it felt good because now you're looking at you know where Pro Bowl is, but you always got to pay attention to us right now because we're coming off of a Super Bowl championship.
Speaker 3: My guess is that it's twofold. Number one, the players that haven't played in the playoffs are now going a month without playing football until they get to Hawaii. And two, I think they try to keep it so that after the Super Bowl, no one's paying attention anymore. So if they put the Pro Bowl in between and that off week, maybe it's more attractive to viewers.
Speaker 2: Right right, that's my guess. No, it is. I understand. That's why I said they want to just keep the football thing going. But you got to understand a lot of times when even though guys opt out, I will say, it's a lot of that going on too. But some of your marquee players are the people that want to see. They want to see are playing in the Super Bowl. So who wouldn't want wait a little bit, a little bit longer to see Patrick Mahoons finally go out there just having fun like he's doing, but just playing in the Pro Bowl to treat the fans, and Tom Brady going over there. We want to see that again, right, You know what I mean? So you don't get to see that as being an All Star. So you have these names and these great players not participating. I think it takes away from the game a little bit. But from a player perspective, you want to be out there after the season. Yeah, we're probably you know, not focusing on like this is not the Super Bowl, this is an All Star game. It is entertainment. This is a reward at the end of the season, you know. But at the end of the day, money, Trump's everything, And like I said, they're the experts, and maybe from a marketing standpoint for whatever it is, keeping it over here in Florida in the US is a lot cheaper, So it probably came down to the bottom line. No question business perspective, because I'm always thinking like that, you.
Speaker 1: Know, BMO trivia. Question few what Patriot related news the year that Ty law won the Pro Bowl MVP in nineteen ninety eight, and I was there. I remember standing in the lobby in another life, and I remember greeting Taylan Lawyer Maloy, who are just coming back from maybe some BS practice or something like that. But what big Patriot related news happened that week? That Friday, the two days before the Pro Bowl.
Speaker 3: Do you know, I'm guessing that was a beach flag football game in which Robert Edwards's career basically ended that day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I guess we could all agree, ty that that's probably a good thing that came out of the Pro Bowl, is to not have that beach volleyball game, and certainly a sad situation because who knows how good Robert Edwards would have been had that not happened.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I think you know it was. It was never you can't even say, you know, a blessing and a curse, because I mean, when someone you know loses their career for something that was supposed to be fun and entertaining, you know, it can't be a blessing. But I think the league learned something from that and that's why they don't do it anymore. And now I know they're trying to protect the players, but it was very unf fortunate that it had to come when you're being rewarded as being one of the rookies to be able to go down there, you know, and play in the game and still be around. You know, the guys that made the Pro Bowl, you know what I mean, But you made it you know, your rookie year, just in a different way, but just to be in that atmosphere. And I would have loved to say where Roberts Edward's careers would have been and would it turned out hadn't been for that accident.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean I always look at the Pro Bowl and I've never really cared too much about the actual game. Honestly. What I always thought they should do is bring you guys to Hawaii and then do like skills competitions and let us watch those. Will you guys get really competitive with each other, talk trash like know what it would be for d backs, but you know they have the Quarterback Challenge things like that. I always thought those things would be fun. I remember as a kid watching like Battle of the Network Stars or whatever it was where they had to tuggle war and they have the canoe races and it was athletes doing that. I always thought they should do some fun stuff like that rather than play a meaningless game where where injury is a risk, even even in the Pro Bowl, because you still have to block.
Speaker 2: And tackle, right. Yeah, I understand that because at the end of the day, it's a business and you never want to even get hurt at the Pro Bowl. But when I was playing, we really played the game, you know. I mean, you might start off not going too much, but when it gets to the fourth quarter, it's that difference that competitive nature kick in. And it's that difference between that it's fifteen thousand dollars check and that twenty five thirty thousand dollars check, you know, because the winner get that little you know, everything over there Hawaii costs more than everything, you know. You know, damn snicker costs like fort dollars, you know what I mean, So you got to you got to make up for that somehow. So we got a little bit of competitive But you know, it would be interesting to me because we had to play the flag football game when I was there, and uh and that was pretty funny, you know, and we were competitive. But you know, imagine, guys, if because we are talking about who the best athletes and I always say DB's you know, seven on seven where all the defensive guys got to play offense, all the offensive guys got to play defense. I think that will really expose a lot of guys out there that think they can that think they can play dB. You know, because you know, you get a lot of receivers out there. You know, they got skills, but y'all running forward. This is what you do. You run here, we run here, we run backwards. We showed to the side. So I would love to see something like that. Some of the top skill guys go out there, and you just got to play the opposite side of the ball, you know, DeAndre Hopkins and and and those guys playing dB. I got my money on the DB's all day long.
Speaker 3: Who is the who is the hardest receiver you had to cover?
Speaker 2: You know? I always say, and I stayed consistent, Uh, since I've been getting asked this question, it was always Jimmy Smith. I mean, Jimmy Smith was one of those guys that you knew you had to you know, you bring your lunch pell to work. You know. I have the most respect for him, uh, you know, And I think it was a matchup thing too, because he was a big, strong, fast receiver and I was a bigger, strong, fast corner. So we matched up well. And then you know, most receivers and in my opinion, not all, but most, you know, you know, more more bark than bite. You know, Jimmy he could sit there and bark the bike back at you, you know what I mean. He wasn't gonna get intimidated. The same thing with guys like Hines War. You know, he was like he was heines War, but he'd run by you, heins ward, he ain't gonna run by you. But he's as tough as nails, and he's tough as they come as far as competitors. So I've always liked Jimmy Smith. And even though he probably isn't mentioned with the Hall of Famers and the all time greats, but if you talk to football guys as far as his career and in that period of time when he was that you know, Pro Bowl guy, it was always a great matchup, you know what I mean, because I couldn't overpower him and things like that, He's coming right back at me. So I had the utmost respect for Jimmy Smith.
Speaker 1: What if the guy who whose podcast you're on this morning asked you the same question, would you have had the same answer?
Speaker 2: Yes, Okay, absolutely.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, but he's not saying that.
Speaker 2: You know, like Keith Shawn as well. I mean, we went at it. He got me a times, I got him, you know what I mean. But if you talk about it if you had to pick one, and you remember those battles. Even though you know it's easy for me to say. You know, Marvin Harrison, I've played him so many times. You know he's a pro football Hall of Famer. You know the matchup the games was always epic, you know what I mean. But if you're talking about going out there and knowing if you you're really saying something as a player, when even if you only play him two, three, four times and you knew that, hey, this guy can play, you know what I mean. That's how I felt about Jimmy Smith because, like I said, he was fast too. People didn't give him enough credit, you know, for speed, And like I said, I tried to pump guys. That was my thing. I'm gonna try to get up in your face. I'm gonna try to test your manhood. I'm gonna see what you're really made of. And Jimmy showed me that, you know what, you the real deal and I got I gotta respect for him.
Speaker 1: So let's switch gears here a little bit tight. Another time of year is Hall of Fame time. You've been through the agony and then ultimately the ecstasy of you know, not having the door knock instead receiving a phone call and then having the door knock. And I think we all remember those great pictures where you're clapping and your family's behind you and you're so excited. Big c is who everybody who cares about the Patriots is concerned about this year, and he's had nothing but the agony so far. What's this week like for him? As one who's lived.
Speaker 2: It, you know what it is? First of all, you got to look at the honor of even being in the conversation. I think a lot of times, as much as we all want to get in, you got to take, you know, the good with the bad, you know what I mean. And the good part about this whole situation. You're one of fifteen guys, you know, as in the finals, so there is a chance, you know, and being that he has been a finals for the last few years, he's waited his turn. You know, I think it's time for Richard Seymour to get in. You know, everyone is not going to be a first ballot Hall of Famer, But once you get in, no one asks how long it takes you to get there. Damn it, You've got a gold jacket, and I think you know it's because he wants to be in there. He wants to get it over with because all the talk, everyone's rooting for you. But you know that every one of those guys in there have a strong case themselves, you know what I mean. So it's up to voters and Ron Borges and the guys that's advocating for us to even if these guys weren't believers, you got to make him a believer or you'll play when they really evaluate your player speaks for itself. But I think Richard, you know, hats off to him just to be in this position because a lot of us don't get into this position to even be considered. So I like his chances this year. I hope he gets in, but I'm sure you know, we're not even gonna put the bad energy out there. Hopefully he gets in this time. But best believe, Richard Seymour not only will have you know, a red jacket, he's going to have a gold jacket as well.
Speaker 3: So Tyy, can you just take us what it's like. I mean, this year obviously is different. There was a zoom call for the voters and there's no you know, Richard won't be at the Super Bowl sitting in a hotel room, so can you? But can you tell us what it's like when you're in that room and the phone rings, which means not this year, versus the knock on the door, which means obviously you're in, and just the emotions of both of those.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's it's so crazy because that's the one time, you know, when you're talking about, you know, football, when you start your career, when you get drafted, you were just waiting for your phone to ring. That's all you want.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: Somebody called me so and say you're taking it is the total opposite when it's when you according to the Hall of Fame. You know, you'd be like, please don't ring. You know, you don't want nothing. You want to hear the knock on the door. So that is very Uh, it's stressful because everyone wants so much for you. I was even hearing, you know, because I've been through it. There's no guarantees. Everyone belied in it, but and they want to be there. I didn't want that many people, you know, there, because I've been disappointed all of That's why you can take me and my son whatever you know, happens happens, but they felt that they knew it and they was so they say, But I was like, damn it, y'all said that two years ago too, you know what I mean. But you know, I'm glad that everyone was down there to be able to share that moment with me. You know, they they felt it. I didn't know what to feel. I was just hoping that someone would look at me in my career and say I was worthy of being in, you know, such a prestigious fraternity.
Speaker 1: You know, you mentioned the honor that it is just to get to where these guys are at right now, where Richard is at right now, and he's been there a couple of times. But as one who went through it, Ty, do you feel that the process was all that was at all political? Or at the end of the day, do you think, you know what, whether you got in in the first ballot or it took you fifteen years to get in, this is the Pro Football Hall of Fame, reserved for the greats. And whether this guy's a better talker than somebody else or he has a better presentation somebody else, eventually the best you're going to get.
Speaker 2: Into the Hall. I mean I really believe that. But there, you know, there's a lot of guys that may be deserving that's not even getting a sniff, you know. And so I definitely believe it's some politics in it. But what is it politics in If you talk about any business, any corporation, anything significant, there's always going to be some type of politics that's being played, you know what I mean. So you know I would be it would be ignorant to even say something like that. But you know, guys like Rodney Harrison. You know, for example, you can't tell me that Rodney Harrison is not supposed to be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Not only is he supposed to be in the Pro Football thing, he's not even being considered as a finalist right now. And I don't understand it, you know what I mean. So if it's one guy, and I'm not being biased, I always look from a football perspective, Yes, I played with Rodney, and you can say, all right, I can be biased, but just look at his numbers, look at his production. It's only one guy, one guy, And I think a lot of people would agree that ray Lewis is probably, you know, the greatest linebacker that ever played the game. If not, you know, one of the two or three guys you know at that position, you know, at the middle linebacker position. He has thirty interceptions thirty sacks. Rodney Harrison is the only other person in the game from a and the only defensive back that has thirty picks in thirty interceptions, I mean, and thirty sacks. So if you're only one of two guys in the history of football, why is he being considered? He has the championships, He damn sure got the numbers he had. He's in two different Hall of Fames as far as you know, the you know, the Patriots, you know, and the in San Diego all anniversary teams and all this kind of stuff. Why is it he being considered? So, I don't know. I've heard so many stories. Maybe because the way he played the game, or he got fine. I heard dirty player. I didn't like Rodney when I didn't play with him, But when you play with that man, oh, you can't do nothing but respected. And I think that he should be considered, you know, for the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
Speaker 1: Couldn't agree with you more. And I know you're a former coach here in New England has been on the record as saying that as well, and would hope that his words carry some weight. Tied, does are you tempted at all when we're talking about the politics part of it and we know that there are people who will go in and vote and make presentations. Are you at all tempted when those years when you were trying your you know, waiting for ultimately for you to get in to have a conversation with somebody, did you feel the need to, you know, say anything about yourself or is it one of those things where he said, you know what I did, what I did in the I gotta trust that these people open their eyes and learn what's going on.
Speaker 2: I mean, only if it was an interview and you had to say something you know about you of it was a direct question. But I didn't feel the need to take it upon myself to go out there and try to play my case. You know what I mean. That's I can't go back out on the field. I mean, everything that has happened, you know, if I can go back out there and run and run one more forty or catch one more pick, damn it, I'll take that opportunity. But the reality is that it wasn't gonna happen. So but you know, I've had some of course, I'm in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, and that was the most epic moment ever. But you know, when you're getting disappointed, it's like, you know, what did that guy do that I didn't do? And all that I couldn't sit there and just look at every day you know like that. I mean, you'll beat yourself up, you know what I mean, because I can't control that. Only thing I control is what I did on the field. My Hall of Fame enshrinment and consideration. That's all in somebody else's hand, you know. You know, so I just went on with it. But when the question was presented, now you know me, I'm gonna tell you what I can tell you, you know what I mean, because you know it was a whole lot. You know. It was just you know a great friend of mine and you know my Hall of Fame brother, Champ Bailey. You know, it was never saying anything disrespectful about you know, Champ or anything else. But I think if I wouldn't have got in this year, you know, I mean the year that I did, because I was going directly head to head, you know, with another all time great you know what I mean. Before I didn't have that, so it would have probably been a little more painful if someone came in as a cornerback and hopped me when I had to wait, you know what I mean, And when we had early similar stats outside the pro bows. You know, you know when you say, okay, I have more interceptions, even though it was only a couple, you know, I had more touchdowns. I got Super Bowl rings and things like that. So if I had to remind somebody in a sense without no saying anything negative against my friend, I would let him know, you know, if he you know, I consider him first ballot too. I considered myself. You know, I could have could have possibly one day, but that's fine. But if he's gonna go in first ballot, and you asked me the question because I want to get in as well, Hey check the damn stats. So if they if they like this, I had to wait, if he go in, should not be going in with it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I think that that year in particular, it was Ron Borges made a great argument about that because because I think he knew that they were gonna put Champ in because Champ had a lot of hyper around. If you're gonna put Champ in, we gotta look at ty Low because I was actually surprised the two corners got in. Tie.
Speaker 2: Were you surprised about that? You know what? I wasn't as I was surprised, but I wasn't as surprised because the year prior to when I was a finalist, they put two linebackers in? Did they put t O and Randy in at the same time? So now you looked at it as a possibility, you know what I mean? And I thought that to be honest it it would only be right, you know what I mean, because you know, check the stats. Check, I mean, check anything you want to check. You know, the numbers are there. Numbers are numbers don't lie. So which is I put it this way? Put it this way. I was hopeful because I knew, just like you know, this year, we all know that two spots is gone, and that is Charles Woodson and Peyton Manning, Hudos other three none of us know. We know two spots is gone. But when I came in on my years, okay, you pretty much knew a spot was gone. Champ Bailey, Tony Gunzalez and Ed Reed. So I mean, you're pretty you knew that they could all be possible first Battle Hall of faper. So it's basically only two spots left for the rest of us. Who would be that? And when you're going to head up with somebody that you have the same stats and you know the only separation was Pro Bowl votes and we all know what that is, right, you know, bullshit. But so I was like, hey, if it's no better time than now, you know, to get in and I knew wrong would go out there and do a hell of a job, you know, making that case.
Speaker 3: In that argument, you mentioned how your stats were your stats, and do you think that that's what hurts Richard is because he doesn't have you know, one hundred sacks? He doesn't play in that kind of defense, right, And you know he was when he was on the end, it was in a three four two gaping and when he was inside, you know it was you know, maybe it was four to three when he was inside, but he even played some on the nose.
Speaker 2: Right, I mean, he's he's done so much. And if you're talking about these people doing the vote and if they knew football and not just looked at statistics because I think they pick and choose who they want to look at statistics. Four. But Richard Seymour, the impact that he had on every defense was major because when you're taking on two guys, you're going from tackle to over the center. He can play the end. He did anything that you asked him to do, and he was always a problem. No, he didn't have a lot of sacks, the hunted sacks that he had a lot of sacks, but they wouldn't ask him to just go get the quarterback. I say the same thing about Willy mcginns. If you tell Willie mcginni's, hey, your only job, which a lot of these guys are getting all the money and all the hype, go get the quarterback. Willie mcginns will have a hundred sacks as well. And the same thing with Richard if you say, hey, just go get the quarterback, just get upfield. But he has so much other responsibility than the same thing with Willie. That they stats suffered for the for the greater good, and that was for team's success. And I think you know when you're talking statistically everyone that we all agree. And I'm gonna sit there and preach it right now, because I'm telling you that when you're out the game, people start looking at stats. If you're talking right now, everyone, we all agree that Darrell Reeves is a Hall of Famer, probably gonna go first ballot, at least from a football standpoint. But when you but but I'm saying, but when you look at statistics, because even when Ron you know, talked to me, like before you know I was even eligible, how many gap you know, they want to see, you know, fifty, you got fifty? Damn right, I got fifty. You know what I mean. But it's a certain criter from a stats standpoint, you know what I mean. But then you get a guy like Eric Allen, who's you know he has He's right up there, he has the numbers. Let's even talk about a Sante Samuel, he has fifty picks. But you got somebody like Darrell Reeves, who I hope that doesn't happen the same thing that's happened to Richard because he should be in right away in my opinion, because of the impact that he had on the field. So they pick and choose who they want, and I think, you know, because and he's got like twenty nine picks or something, right, right, right, he has twenty nine, but it's not just forty five fifty, but how many people is going out there to throw at him? He did his job, you know, unlike many people out there in the game that can't play the game the way he did. So hopefully that that doesn't come back and do the same thing that is doing the Richard because I really think that statistically, because they don't see that one number is hurting you know, Richer in a sense. But at the same time, he is in the room, he is in the final room. It has been a couple of years, so obviously you know, Ron is doing a great job of saying, look, don't you can't just look at the stats with this guy. You can't just look at the stats with Darrel Revers, but some guys you can look at Rodney, see, so it has to be some politics in there somewhere.
Speaker 1: So Tyd, just one last thing on Revs. I mean, I think the other thing and I don't mean this as any knock on Revers by any stretch of the imagination, because he's a great player and he's a Hall of Fame corner. But I think where he played will have a tremendous influence on voters across the country. I think the fact that he was in in the number one media market in the league and in the country will go a long way. And I remember talking to Tip a little bit back in the day, you know that. And I'm not trying to I'm not trying to compare Tip in LT Okay, they're both Hall of famers, but Taylor was in that market. The Giants were Super Bowl champions, they were on TV every sing a week, and you know, Tip couldn't get arrested being on the Patriots with the dog teams that he was on, and that had an effect on Tippet's candidacy. I don't think there's any question about.
Speaker 2: It, right, Oh yeah, I mean I agree, you know, when you're in New York. Not for some players that may be lesser players, you know, in the scope of you know, we know who good and who's not. Darrell fit the bill when it came to being a top notch player as well. So yes, being in a top medium market, that's that's not going to hurt him when you're already a top player, you know what I mean, So that can that can help you. But if Andre Tippett, uh yeah, he'll be probably be talked about like Lawrence Taylor as well, if he was in that market at the time. You know, New England wasn't you know, a great football team you know when he played, it is what it is. But like but when you start peeling back the layers and saying, you know what, if you talk about LT, and I think that was the argument, LT probably helped Tip get in. You know, if people want to say Champ helped me get in, I'll take it. Sometimes sometimes it takes somebody else's success for people to start recognizing he this dude can play too, you know what I mean. So whatever, so whatever, it takes a little help. But being in that media market up there is definitely gonna help his chances. But I just hoped a few individuals really look at what he did, his impact on his defenses, and not just look at his stats, because I don't think Darrel Reepis's stats going to tell you the story of his career. I just hope he doesn't fall in that and I don't think he will. But you made a great point about being in New York, but he was also you know, the real deal.
Speaker 1: He transcends it. He doesn't need to be in New York to be a Hall of Fame, right, exactly. Right, So you mentioned there's two there's two my word laps, two laps this year Manning and what's in there going in? Count them in?
Speaker 2: Right now?
Speaker 1: That that basically means you got twelve guys playing for three spots.
Speaker 2: Right, Who's that? And that's the tough part because all twelve other guys, they have legitimate, you know, reasons, and they are that they should be in the Hall of Fame. Everyone has a legitimate argument, you know what I mean. So, yeah, personally, of course I think Richard Seymour one. Yeah, I could be biased because that was my teammate. But at the same time, I look at football. You can't measure Richards by just stats alone. Talk to the other people that he played against, talk to the coaches, and he's been waiting there a couple of years already, just like I was. Those Super Bowls just didn't happen with Bill Belichick and Tom Brady. It was a lot of other guys I can play that should get recognition, and Richard Seymour is definitely one of those guys that, you know, should you know, be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, I think, you know, Reggie Wayne would be somebody. Okay, he's waited a couple of years. You look at you know, his longevity. Statistically, he's ranked right there with every other Hall of Famer, and he has a Super Bowl rain to go along with it. So I think Reggie Wayne because you got a guy like you know, Mega Tron coming in as dynamic as he was, and sometimes we just get to a point where it might be a little lock jam. So if Reggie had to wait and Megatron is coming in and we all know, you know, you know, he was Megatron for a reason. At the same time, play Detroit, right, you know what I mean. So and they weren't winning. Reggie Wayne has the numbers and he won, you know what I mean. So I chose, you know, Reggie, not saying that Megatron isn't. But when it came to my vote, in my opinion, I think Reggie, you know, should get that opportunity to be in Hall van because he's already waited. And then and then you know, after that, I say, I got it. I've been in the room with for a long time, and I think he should get his just due was Alan Fanica. You know, I know Jared Allen, I know, I know he's gonna get in look.
Speaker 1: At the dB given some offensive lineman some love there like Alan Fanica.
Speaker 2: Alan Fanica, I mean he was a baller, you know what I mean. He's he's waited around for quite some time now. I think, you know, he should get his uh just do because I'm telling you being in the room and you know, always getting a phone call year after year, and a lot of guys been in there a lot longer than me, so I can imagine how they might you know, be feeling. So it was a log jam, you know with the offensive linement because you know, I guess it's probably different, little bit of a different evaluation that goes.
Speaker 1: Into right, what are their status?
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying, So you know it probably was a little bit more. But think about it. This guy, you know, with the thousand yard rush he had, I think Alan Fanica is he's he got to get his just due to get in no disrespect to anybody. As I played with Jerry Ellen, I know that, you know, I wouldn't be surprised if he went first ballot, you know what I mean. I wouldn't be surprised, but I'm just saying as far as what my thinking was, you know, and who I chose, you know, that's where I went with it.
Speaker 3: So and by the way, by the way, one thing, so down in Atlanta, I'm sitting standing with Kevin Falk and he goes over to like we were, he was doing an appearance for it, and he goes over to like the Tensifaria there and he starts talking to this guy and I said, he goes.
Speaker 2: Overbody, go who is that?
Speaker 3: He goes, Oh, that's Alan Fanica. Guy looks like he weighs one hundred and seventy five.
Speaker 2: Pounds right now, and that's he should go to the Hall of Fame on that alone. Because when you see I'm like, well, wait a minute, I had I'm like, I had to look it up. I'm like, he'll happen, you know, because he looks great now.
Speaker 3: He looks like a yeah, he lost the whole person.
Speaker 2: Yeah he lost absolutely, he lost the whole person. So I'm like, I know when he gets up there after they showed the highlights and when he walk over stage, you know, when that time comes, you know, hopefully is this year you know everybody will be like, who the hell was that on the on the jumbo drunk?
Speaker 3: Not from some perspective? Can you read the fifteen?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 1: I will, And then I wanted to kind of summarize. Maybe what I think I'm hearing is TI's point of view. The fifteen people who are finalists for induction for this year in the Hall of Fame alphabetically I'm reading him are Jared Allen defensive end, re Rende Barber defensive back, Tony Biselli tackle who's been there for a while as well, ty Leroy Butler played against you in Super Bowl thirty one, Fiannica, who you mentioned? Tory Holt greatest show on turf, Megatron, Calvin Johnson, John Lynch who's been around for a while, Peyton Manning first ballot, Clay Matthews another guy who's been around for a little while, underrated linebacker, Sam Mills, Big C Richard Seymour, Zach Thomas, Reggie Wayne and Charles Woodson and so ty these are this is my impression of what you're saying. You're saying if I could summarize and if I'm right that these guys are all Hall of Famers, your point of view is, you know what, unless you're Manning, unless you're Woodson, and they're just the no doubt, no brainers of all time. If you've been in the room for a little bit, i'd like you're saying, I'd like to see those guys get in before somebody who hasn't been on the ballot. They've paid their dues maybe a little bit by by not getting in. Is that a fair thing to summarize what you're saying?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, you know what I mean, because like I said, everyone is deserving. But you know, unfortunately they only take five out of the fifteen, so and it depends on who's coming up next. A lot of it is timing as well, you know what I mean, because guess what, when you're doing a hell. As much as I love ron and he stood on the table for me, he ain't gonna have to do much for Tom. All you got to do is go up there. Tom Brady, dropped the mike and walk off.
Speaker 1: Good job, Ronnie Brady in the way you paid.
Speaker 2: Manning dropped the mic, Charles Woodson dropped the mic. Just walk off.
Speaker 3: By the way. By the way, I don't agree with you that I don't agree. I don't agree with you that all fifteen names are Hall of famers.
Speaker 2: Who you tell me who win in the Hall of Fame?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean I think Tony was short. Tony Piselli played six years. That is that a Hall of Fame at tackle?
Speaker 2: You know what?
Speaker 3: Now I have to I don't have to talk to players who played against them who can tell. And I haven't done that research.
Speaker 2: In all fanners, right and and and in all fairness, I can't really judge. But so much as far as the offensive line play, you know what I mean? Uh? Like I said, when you you block for a thousand yard rushers like Alan Fanica, and you have running backs are in the Hall of Fame that you blocked for Jerome Bettis, Curtis Martin, you know what, and you have a longeviy like that. I think that that you have to have that as office alignment because stats don't Your personal stats are not going to do it. Part of me feels that unless you did something that is just totally amazing, like Patrick Mahomes. He can play five, six, seven years and you probably can still consider him, you know, a Hall of Famer from what he's doing so early, you know what I mean? So I think that you should have a good amount of years to be considered a Hall of Famer. You know, you have to have some long jevy in it unless you did something that we just haven't seen before. But you know, like Barry sayders Hey, that minimum nine ten years, I mean, you know, because you can put up a resume that warrants that. Like I said, it's been some great players that probably would have been had Hall of Fame careers that got injured and they just couldn't finish it off.
Speaker 1: Davis. There's a lot of debate about Tye and when I mean I was I.
Speaker 2: Was another finalist room with TV before, you know what I mean, And you know, I thought for what he did, he was man who was a hell of a player. I mean he you know, he brought it down here. He got he got the three super Bowl.
Speaker 3: Rings, but he only had three seasons.
Speaker 2: No, No, I mean he got two super Bowl rings, right, he got two rings, right. But that's the example. But uh, you know, the voters, you know thought and like I said, he was a hell of a player. Him and Curtis Martin, you know myself, we all came out the same draft. YEP. So you know I'm a huge TD fan. But you know, when you're in there at the moment because you want to get in too, you know what I mean, you had all those things across your mind. You know, I will never you know, a cup of bee said or anything like that. But at that time when we're both going at it, and you know, when he get in, I'm like, man, you know, I played double years, you know, as far as like my career, you know what I mean, and rings and this and that. So that was the spot taken that could have been. But that's just selfishly, you know, speaking what you think to yourself. But then when you think about, you know, Terrell Davis, what he went through, what he did for that city and playing through migraines and shit like that, you know what I mean, it's like, you know what, he's a real deal.
Speaker 3: Well, and no, I think the hard thing for us is is, guys, you never stepped on the field right when you talk about this stuff, you have to be careful. I'm not trying to disrespect anybody. The guys that go out and put the paths out every week and knock heads. I mean, I have no right to say, you know, this guy's this and this guy's that. But when I compare and I look at and the writers are the ones picking this for the most part, Right, I look at Terrell Davis and he had three dominant seasons that were as good as anybody. Right, rushed for over two thousand yards, but it's three enough to get a gold jacket. I think that's where the debate comes in.
Speaker 2: That's all I mean, No, no, it is a you know, a debate you know when it when it comes to that, you know, as far as your career loan driven, I don't think. But he was so dynamic, you know, at the time, and he would be to day too, like a Gail Sayers, you know. And I don't think that he played no long a long time. But what he did on the field was stuff that people never seen before. And if you look at you know, some of the older guys, and I know, the game has changed in a lot of ways. You can't just look at stats. How did they impact the game? And I think that's where you know into and I can't even say today's game because it's getting a little softer, But in the game we were playing, you know, what he did for his team, you know, was amazing, and you know it warranted, you know, Hall of Fame consideration that he got in, because, like you said, if it was only three you know, hey, they were some hell of five seasons and you know, he he got He was fortunate he played and in no telling what he would have done if he was able to play five or six more years.
Speaker 1: On top of that, well, one guy who I think we all agree won't have to worry, won't have to sweat it out, as you mentioned earlier, is the guy who's going to be quarterbacking on Sunday, Tie and Tom Brady. In this region, I think there's a bit of angst going on. And is it safe to say, as a former teammate, there's no question who your rooting interest will be for on Sunday.
Speaker 2: You know what, you know, I'm I'm I'm I'm going for Tom. You know that was my That's my guy, and you know I'm I'm right with Brady all day. That's that's that's my teammate for a lot longer than I was in Cansa City. I love Kansas City, had a great time up there, but hey, I wont Super Bowls with Tom Brady. You know what, I mean, that's a personal friend. So you know, as long as the Patriot's down in there, and Patriots was playing Tom Brady, Damn, I'm going for the pay, you know what I mean. But hey, he's still a Patriot as far as I'm concerned, and I'm gonna ride with him wherever he goes. Like I said, I paid played for Kansas City and got a hell of a check for it. But hey, and if Tom Brady wasn't in it, I'm going for Kansas City because I mean, I really enjoyed myself up there. The fans were great, Herman Networks. I mean, I really enjoyed it. But I got to ride with Tom, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Hey, I got a question for you, Ty. You know, there's been a lot made with Tom this week, and this isn't specific to him, maybe even more specific to your experience, But you have a when you play for a coach, okay, like you play for Bill Belichick and you have a certain relationship with the coach during that time, and then you walk away, what is the how does your relationship with the coach that might have been hard on you as a player change after you leave or after you retire, Like maybe maybe you could just speak to your experience with your relationship with with Bill Belichick now versus your relationship when he was riding your ass every day practice, right, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, you you you grow a respect, you know what I mean, because we're all competitive about it, and I think you know, whether you're a coach or you're a player. You know, a lot of things get said in the heat of the moment when you know your intense, whether it's practice or the game. But no one takes it that personally, you know, because that's what they're supposed to. They're supposed to Roger, you know, as a competitor. You know, at least for me, I'm gonna bite back at you too, you know what I mean, if I think I'm right. But you got to take the coach and they're there for a reason, so you know, it's actually if you have a mutual respect, it gets better. You know, it gets better when you're done because you can sit back and laugh and and it can help mold you on on on certain things and how you handle things. You know. Sometimes, you know what I mean, There's been times where you know, me and Belichick, if we had to say some words, you know, he know, he know me just like I know him. You know, he gonna say what's on his mind. He knows I'm gonna say what's on my mind. I might not be like you know, the average player when it comes to that, but you know, there's always a mutual respect. And you know the fact that I can pick up the phone and call Bill and he'll pick it up, you know what I mean. I think that says enough as it is. And we have a great relationship. And we had a great relationship when I was playing for him too, because guess what, the only time me and Bill ever had a problem when it was contract time. That's the only time being Bill a never have a problem because he knew I was gonna give him all I got when I'm out there. I knew he was gonna coach me hard. We didn't have a problem then. It always we had a difference of opinion when it came, you know, to contracts, and he has to do what he has to do and I have to do what I have to do. And that's the only time, and you know, it's been all love ever since.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's the moral to the story than ty, And maybe that's the thing that's so difficult for people to understand is that it is a business, you know, and when there's mutual respect, and clearly that was the case with you and Bill. You know, it has to be gratifying to you that today, as you just said, you can pick up the phone call and you know he's going to answer it. But when business was on the table, you guys handled business. You had to look out for yourself. He was looking out for the team. If you're mature enough to understand that it is just business, then that just makes things that much better once the time comes for you to come back into the fold. Is that a fair way to say it?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And guess what I understood even though Bill had his way of going about if I understood what he was doing, so I didn't even you know, you can't wait. You can't help but to take it personally, because even though that might be not the intention, or maybe it was. That's why they call it negotiating. He might say something, not that this happened, but he might say something that, you know, poke your a little bit, you know, make you feel a certain way, so you know, take you out your game, make you think of it as personal. I don't know. But you know, as a competitor, you you don't want to hear anything negative. You don't want to hear what you didn't do. You know, what you put you know, the product that you put out on the field. But Belichick, he has an obligation, you know, to the team. As players, we have obligations to ourselves when it comes to this. And once we come here and we meet and we both agree on something, now we both are obligated to the team, you know what I mean. But when it comes contract time and you are up you're a free agent or you up for a renegotiation, that's where the separation happens. And guess what, that's just business. I think too many people go into it taking it personal. You got to take the personal out of it, you know what I mean. I think Belichick is one of the best in the business when it comes to, you know, telling you what you want to hear for the contract, or telling you what you don't want to hear, you know, whatever. He has to use his advantage. But that's this business to me, and I look at it and a that's genius, you know.
Speaker 3: And we can wrap up here. But I would just say that I always use your case as an example of that offseason where you guys had a little bit of a dispute and then as soon as you were re signed and or back in camp, it was business as usual. You would have never known anything happened between you two and the off season you're right back out. And I know it is that as an example of the business side versus the football side.
Speaker 2: Right absolutely, But I think you know, the player most of the time gets the bad rap, you know, more more than anything. You start to see a little bit now and they saying if you're a certain type of player, if you're looked at a certain way, you have more you know, power. But back then, anytime a player says they gonna hold out or they not getting enough, they're always the bad greedy or a bad person, you know what I mean. And it's not like that. So I'm finally, you know, I'm glad people are starting to catch up a little bit that it worked two ways.
Speaker 1: Ty can't thank you enough for joining us this afternoon. What are you going with there? Is that original or is that cucumber that you have in front of you?
Speaker 2: Oh? This is this is the original? You know what I mean? This is the you know, the one that won, the original that's appreciated. Man. So this is the granddaddy of them all. To big, the big bottle, you know what I mean. But my personal favorite is the qu cover. Like I say, put that with some lemonade called the pick six. Oh, Clauda, hey, as soon as it hit five o'clock, his on, right.
Speaker 3: So we need to work It's five o'clock somewhere somewhere.
Speaker 2: You're right right.
Speaker 1: We need to work with our sponsorship team to make sure that v one is the official vodka the Past from the Past podcast. Unofficially, we at least can say that now, right, Brian.
Speaker 2: Oh right, yeah, yeah, we gotta, we gotta, we gotta work on that. We gotta work on that. Love.
Speaker 3: I have peppermint downstairs, so.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, hey, hey, put that with some little chocolate liquor or something. I'm trying to tell you, put it on that good. I have a white chocolate y'all about y'all about the baby, Go get a drink, y'all bottle.
Speaker 1: Baby Drake, love it ty. Thanks for your time, man, say all right.
Speaker 2: Thank you later.
Speaker 3: Thank you for downloading this podcast.
Speaker 1: Subscribe on Apple, google Play, and everywhere else you listen. Like the show, please rate and review us Let's Center.
Speaker 3: Comments and ratings help keep us high on the podcast rankings so new listeners can find us.
Speaker 1: Be sure to check Patriots dot com for more news and more podcasts.