Speaker 1: What is up Dolphins, and welcome to the Draft Time Podcast. I am your host, Travis Wingfield, and on today's show, we have one more episode to go after this, before we get official signings across the National Football League. We're going to take you around the comprehensive work that I did this offseason or pre off season to get you ready for what might happen next week and beyond as the Dolphins build out their twenty twenty five roster and look to improve upon the eight win season last year, hopefully getting back to eleven plus wins and quite frankly more than that than I think we were entitled to back in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: In the coming years.
Speaker 1: We're also going to talk to Rhet Lewis from the floor at the Indianapolis Scouting Combine from the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex. This is the Draft Time Podcast segments. I was cooking around for the show and it wound up becoming an ultimate like off season primer again, which I know I did last week, but that was another week of information I was able to gather and I went through and kind of sorted out things in terms of who I think could be targets in the premium market.
Speaker 2: Which will be beginning next.
Speaker 1: Week right off the top, and then the secondary market and the bargain players, and then a list of players by position that could be viable options at each spot in your twenty twenty five draft class.
Speaker 2: And one of the things that kind.
Speaker 1: Of helped me get a new, reshaped focus on the off season was going back and watching some of the tape from late in the season following the Kendall Fuller cut and the knowledge that the Dolphins will probably shift a little bit more man coverage this year and be in the cornerback market for a player that can kind of be what cater Cohu was last year as co who I think has graduated into kind of a Kendall Fuller role where he can play in and outside, but his primary responsibility is on the outside. He's a great blitzer and run defender. I think he has a bright future here under Anthony Weaver, and ever since he kind of got his bearings about landmarks and drops and where to be in zone coverage. I think that paris with how good he is in man coverage as a kind of, you know, franchise cornerstone. If not, you know, adequate starter to use a Kyle Krabs ism. So that was kind of what spawned me watching Trayvon Merrig who spoiler Alerte is alert is going to be a spoiler Alert is going to be in my premium contract targets options in that position. But I was watching him a couple of games against the Miami Dolphins and a three level defender Farochius Hitter who can defend the run from depth, which is a very big circle on my offseason checklist that I want to make sure I check off this offseason. Great burst off the top of the route. He was physical enough to match up on john Us Smith but also play in the post as a split field safety and single high as the loan safety you back there watching him, I kept thinking to myself, this is what I thought Javon Holland was going to be. So I think he's going to be a very expensive player, but a guy that I have my eyes on. And then I also in watching that tape, saw a feisty cornerback who just wanted to battle against Tyreek Hill and Jalen Wattle and Malik Washington. Accordingly, I'm talking about Nate Hobbs, who can play inside and outside, really good feel for what I thought was similar coverage responsibilities that what Cater had a season to go. So I just thought those two guys were very interesting to keep an eye on and couple of positions I'm going to kind of go heavy on in this little mock offseason here that we're about to do in a couple of seconds, because I think the Dolphins defense can really kind of take a big step here under Anthony Weaver after finishing fourth and total defense last year in his first season, And we heard Mike McDaniel on this program talk about how he saw that shift occur around mid season, which you know, tracks they kind of lost that Buffalo and Arizona game because they couldn't get off the field, and they followed that up with some really good performances against the Rams on Monday Night Football. They shut down two bad offenses and the Raiders and the Patriots, and then you know, had the rough outings against the likes of the Green Bay Packers and in a tough spot and couldn't tackle that night, But they had good games against the Niners against the Texans later on before ultimately getting gashed on the final day of the season, but I think that was not a real indication of who this team is because well, their best player quit the game, right. That's another topic for another day. We won't get into that here on this podcast. But I listed out some guys that were like my guys in free agency. I'll just read it off real quick because it's going to kind of double dip here and overlap each other. But Trey Lance, Elijah Mitchell, the quarterback, running back Josh Palmer, I do like Nick Westbrook Akine, but I think he might be His projected market was kind of curious to me. We'll see what he actually gets out there. And then James Daniels and Will Hernandez I love will Freeze, but I think he's going to be way too expensive. Patrick McCary, Daniel bruns Killed, Josh Jones, Derek Nandi, Bobby Brown, bj Hill, Michael Hoyt, Chase Young, Charles Amnahu, linebackers Willie Gay and Jamie and Sherwood. The cornerbacks Nate Hobbs and Brandon Ick Eckles with Trayvon Merrigg Taloonoah Hafanga, and then Jeremy Chin at the safety position where some of the guys that I wrote down just wanted to get to all that. We'll also do a different version of the wavish Tringfield mock draft four thousand and I'll go ahead and play that soundrop for you guys, since I know it was so popular last time we did it. Taking a look at what might happen after my proposed free agency, and again, is anything that's going to be right?
Speaker 2: Who knows? I really don't know.
Speaker 1: I feel like I have a good feel on where they're going, just based upon, you know, being a fly on the wall and recognizing trends over the last couple of years. But this is more of my study and my own independent type of input, not like I'm hearing things and this is what I'm going to put you in the podcast.
Speaker 2: That's not how we do it here. That's that is not kosher, if you will. This is me.
Speaker 1: Spending two months watching film, engaging the markets, and just see what this team needs. So let's go ahead and kick it off here with this concept of three levels of free agent targets. The premium contracts are going to be guys that earn up to or rather more than ten million dollars. Apy I would have a platinum category, because there's guys that make thirty million dollars fifty million dollars in this league, which would be where like a Sam Donald would be right where a Chris Godwin would be if he doesn't go back to the Buccaneers those type of t Higgins contracts. But I don't think Miami's in play for that one because that's largely quarterbacks, receivers, tackles, edges, and corners, and I don't think Miami's in the market for those positions. Sam's cornerback, and I don't think they're in the market for a big money quarterback. And I also I think, but I know this, that we're not the type of team that spends twenty three million dollars on Trey Smith or twenty million dollars on Christian Wilkins.
Speaker 2: You get what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: And I think the edges available, I do not see a platinum player there, although one of the guys on my list was about seven million dollars more than my projection when I looked it up on spot rack. But I digress there because I do not see a premium player, and that actually probably removes this player off my list. I'll get to that here in one second. So, for instance, the best safeties on the board are in the same range as the best edges because there are all pro caliber safeties and not even a Pro Bowl caliber edge on the board.
Speaker 2: But those costs kind of even out. Does that make sense to you guys? All right?
Speaker 1: So here are my premium free agent market targets. This is ten million plus per year, and I gave myself the allowance to choose two of these guys, and then my second wave was anywhere from two to four depending on what I did in that first In this first market, which actually spoiler, I didn't sign any of these guys, it was Will Freeze at fourteen million bucks, the former Colts guard. He would be a slam dunk fit here. He'd be a Pro Bowl player for US if you can get him. That's pretty expensive. Makai Bectam is projected at ten million bucks, but I could see him getting more. He was also in the list here. And then Patrick McCary was a guy that I was planning on signing until I saw the spot rack evaluation of eleven million bucks per year. I think that he's probably a backup here, a sixth swingman at four positions. I just can't justify that for more than half of my starting offensive lineman. And then Chase Young was the trojan horse I was talking about earlier, seventeen million bucks projected on spot Rack did not spow track, did not expect that. And then Michael Hoyt from the Rams was my other edge option for twelve million per year. Cornerback Paulson a debo for eleven million bucks a year from the Saints, and then Trayvon Merrig from the Raiders is fifteen million dollars per year. I did not inc freeze Beckon, McCary, Young, Hoyt, Adebo or Merrig, even though I identified them as potential targets. Here is where I did go heavy in the second wave of free agency. Nick Westbrook a kine was a five million dollar projection. In fact, he, Brandon Cooks, and Josh Palmer all were the wide receivers and none of them got contracts from your boy. I did, however, sign two offensive lineman here and one defensive line and I went James Daniels from the Steelers eight million dollars per year, which I could see that softening a little bit, and if it does, maybe I can afford one more player in this grouping of players here, but coming off the Achilles injury, I could see the pause there, But his tape is elite. He's an elite athlete that fits what we do at the guard position. He can play center in a pinch as well. I think that he is like the perfect, the picture perfect interior offensive lineman for this system, sans coming off the Achilles injury. So that kind of maybe saves you a couple of bucks and does introduce some consternation about that acquisition. I'm very well aware of that, but I'm going with it anyways. I'm also gonna sign Will Hernandez. Those are my two starting guards in twenty twenty five. I'm gonna have James Daniels play left guard and Will Hernandez play right guard. That's two bigger bodies. That's one really good athlete, one good enough athlete, and two really good pass protectors alongside Aaron Brewer, who I think can help protect him inside a little bit in terms of his sized efficiency there, keep to a tongue by lower upright, get some push in the running game, and keep our outside zone game intact with those two players. Jonah Jackson was also on the target. I passed on that because he's a trade option. He would be owed nine million bucks this year in seventeen million bucks next year, which you probably would redo that contract to lop off that third year or the second year, I should say a third year of the total deal. But I'm just not going to part with picks because I want I want my picks that I have coming up. I also signed a Rams player here pipping over to the defensive side, Bobby Brown, and Kyle was saying he thinks you can do him for four million because of the snap count and the lack of sacks, but watching his tape, I just don't know about that. And with the salary cap rising, I did put him in a six million dollar bind.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 1: We're going to sign him from the Rams. He's going to be my number two alongside Zach Seeler on the inside. I passed up on Greg Gains for eight million bucks, LEVI on Wuzerique from the lines for six million bucks. I took Brown because he can play a more nose tackle and he can kind of be my one A with Benito Jones being my one B at nose tackle. With Brown playing more three technique reps when I do have b Jones on the field. My edge option here was Charles Amenahu, who is projected for nine million bucks. I'm gonna go ahead and pass on that. The two linebackers are three rather here that were in play, Willie Gay Junior from the Saints, Jamien Sherwood from the Jets, and Jermaine Pratt, who would be a trade option.
Speaker 2: We're not going to do that.
Speaker 1: But those three guys were eight seven six million bucks respectively. I would be curious to kick the tires on Sherwood in that spot, but a little bit spending for me. And then Brandon Stevens, a seven million dollar cornerback, and then Jeremy Chin and Julian Blackman seven million bucks and eight million bucks at the safety position. I did sign one of those guys. I think Jeremy Chin could be your Derwin James, your I sort of Kyle Hamilton what Isaiah Simmons was supposed to be. I think Weave would kill for a guy that can do a little bit of everything, which is why I think Nick Aman Worry and Jihad Campbell and Carson sweeshing heer a little bit in the in play for the Dolphins early in this year's draft, but I'm going with Jeremy Chin at the spot. Experience had a really good year last year for the Commanders, and he can play all three levels of your defense. Then the bargain department, where I spent a good deal of money here, signing one, two, three, four, five six players ready quarterback Marcus Mariota for four million bucks. He won out over Trey Lance for two million bucks. On my options here, I only had one running back on this entire list, and I signed him, Elijah Mitchell from the forty nine Ers. He's minimum deal. He's going to come in here and be running back three if he can stay healthy. For once, wide receiver Josh Palmer four million bucks passed on him. I passed on receiver Diami Brown. I think the two million dollar projection here is way too low. I think it's going to get a lot more than that. I also passed on tight end John Bates for a million bucks. I also passed on Josh Jones, and I think his two million dollar projection the Ravens tackle is to me way too low. I did, however, sign a guy that was drafted by the forty nine Ers to play guard for four years and played really well there, and then went to the Titans and played two years of tackle there. So he's played four positions across the offensive line, and actually he's played five because he has played center two. Daniel Brunskill for three million bucks a year. I passed on Derek Noddy, the Chiefs defensive tackle, for three million bucks. I did ink Marcus Davenport from the Lions for two million bucks a year, just trying to kind of hit lightning into bottle here with a very physically gifted player who has not performed to that first round draft pick status. I passed on Peyton Turner two million bucks. I signed linebacker Chris Barnes from the Cardinals for two million bucks, passing on Oron Burks from the Equals at three million bucks. And then my last signing was cornerback Nate Hobbs of the Raiders for four million to play my slot and outside positions alongside Ramsey and Kohu. I passed on Brandon Eckles and DeMar Hamlin. Both those players were projected at three million bucks per so that's forty one million dollars in new money I spent. I also brought back cater Coohu and Tyrell Dodson for five million apiece, roughly Tya Spouser, Deshan Hand and Benito Jones for two million bucks apiece. And the minimum signings back that will not count against the top fifty one. You only have to your salary cap only constitutes a top fifty one players in your roster. Bet some folks out there telling you about this stuff didn't know that. Via River creak Craft, I brought back Isaiah Whim and Elijah Campbell. I brought back Quentin Bell and Cam Good off the edge, two more receivers and Grant Dabos and ds Gridge and tackle key On Smith. So roughly fifty seven million bucks. I spent new money this year. Thanks a lot to Ron Armstead for giving us that flexibility. And that leaves us with the draft. I wrote the roster out here, but let's go ahead and skip over that and just get into my draft position before we take a break and get to the great rhet lewis here. I feel as though I am set at quarterback with two good ones. My skill positions I feel very good about with the running back inclusion, and I didn't sign any receivers. But with what I plan to do in the draftter, I feel good about where I'm sitting. I feel like my offensive line is kind of loaded. I've got depth, I've got versatility, I've got five good starters. I have quality talent and depth at defensive tackle, cornerback, and edge. I feel like I have big needs at linebacker and safety, and really those detackle, cornerback, edges could all use one more piece.
Speaker 2: So we're gonna go into the draft with that in mind.
Speaker 1: But I really like going into this draft with a you need it backer in safety because I can get starters at both those spots on Day two in my opinion, And if that's even thinking, if we don't need you know, I think Tygrell Dotson could be a star. So I kind of gave myself a list of options across each pick. Here, let's actually go ahead and take a break and they'll come back and do that. And then here from Rhet Lewis on the other side of the Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Auto Nation back here after free agency mock Central, let's go ahead and talk about this draft. So I gave myself one two three, four, five, six, seven, eight options at the first one, two, three, four, five, six, seven draft picks. So a lot of names to cover here, but I basically have a random category offensive line, tight end, defensive tackle, edge linebacker, cornerback, in safety.
Speaker 2: So I had to parse my way through all these options.
Speaker 1: So here's my first My pick thirteen options were Johnny Baron the corner safety from Texas, Kelvin Banks the offensive line from Texas, Tyler Warren, Kenneth Grant, mikel Williams, Jehad Campbell, will Johnson the corn cornerback from Michigan, and safety nick Iman Warry from South Carolina State. I went with Tyler Warren. I'm gonna stick with that for the rest of the way. I just I think the way he impacts this offense, You've heard me talk about it relentlessly. I'm going to stay there for the rest of the way. At pick forty eight. Really had a tough time here. Party wants to go Campbell at thirteen, then come back with Mason Taylor at forty eight. If he's even there, I don't even think he will be actually, But between that with Charles Grant, my offensive line option, I put Jack Besh and Jayden Higgins the two big receivers as the options there. Alfred Collins a defensive tackle option, Xavier Watts my safety option. But I'm going with cornerback Jacob Parrish because he runs a four to three. He plays like he's pissed off. He's feisty, he can press, he can play the run, he can blitz. He's kind of like Trent McDuffie light in a lot of ways. I'm taking him at pick forty eight, and then at picked ninety eight, I went with Darius Alexander, the defensive tackle from Toledo with elite first step quickness and twitch. He's going to be my third defensive tackle and a great pass rusher right away, passing up on Tyler Shook on Miles Frasier, on on, Josiah Stewart on Danny Stutzman on Leathan Ransom was the other guy I really had penciled in there, but I came back at picked one fourteen and took safety Billy Bowman out of Oklahoma. He kind of has some Jesse Bates to his game, obviously not quite as accomplished, but his ability to read from that center field position and break on the football was very attractive. I passed up on Jackson Slater, the Sacramento State guard that I love. Bachelle Tooton, the running back from Virginia Tech.
Speaker 2: I like him a lot as well.
Speaker 1: I passed up on Maxwell Harriston, junior from Kentucky the cornerback, and Jordan Phillips, the defensive tackle from Maryland. At picked one thirty five, I took wide receiver Kyle Williams, the out of Washington State, but Goo Koogs is a he ran four to three that pairs with his really good route running ability and big time production in college. I passed up on Jared Ivy, Jamary Caldwell and Quincy Riley and Anthony Belton across the offensive line there and Jackson Hawes a tight end.
Speaker 3: Two.
Speaker 1: I took Max Brosmer, the Minnesota quarterback, next, passing up on Arondez Gads in the second JJ Peggey I think I said that right, and then some other players across that board, and then I went with CJ. West we'll talk about him here with raht Lewis in a second, the Indiana defensive tackle. And that is the last pre pre agency.
Speaker 2: The Lavish twin field mock draft generator four thousand.
Speaker 1: Calculating data that we are going to do. But I will have Kyle Krabs on the show Monday to take me through his mock off season to compare notes back and forth with him. With that said, let's go ahead and get to my final roster from all of this. If you cannot tell, this is an addition into the podcast. I had recorded this before the information came across that Bradley Chubb was going to agree to reduce his salary for the season and convert that contract into bonuses that he can re earn back through incentives, and I wanted to put this on a separate audio file and add it into the podcast because it just tells you about where this culture is and where it needs to go to take the next step. It is not a place that guys don't want to work, obviously. Now they need to find a way to tighten the reins a little bit and make it a fun place to work that has a better sense of accountability. But I think Bradley Chubb is a good example of the kind of guy they've focused on over the last few years who did not take advantage of the situation. Beechub is an a class human being. I can say that from experience. I think he's a really good football player when he's healthy. I am worried a little bit about that cliff that comes around age thirty for his position, especially off another major reconstructive knee surgery. But remember this was in January of twenty twenty three, So we are going to be a fool. What was that twenty months removed from the injury when the new season begins. So for Beechub to reduce his salary to basically, I haven't earned it quite yet, let me go earn it on the football field and help the team as a result, I think that's awesome.
Speaker 3: I think it.
Speaker 2: Solves a big issue this roster is going to have.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna edit it right now because obviously don't have the microphone and the equipment to do it. But in my final roster analysis, you're not gonna hear Beachubb in the list. But when you put him in that list, and if you think of at least eighty percent of the player he was in twenty twenty three when he got hurt, that's a big shot in the arm to this pass rush. So his run defense, I think It allows you to be more creative with Chop Robinson. It allows you to kind of ease both he and JP back in. It allows you to get more runway for your development from Mohammed Kamara, for Grayson Murphy, for Quentin Bell. Big fan of this move at the reduced cost, Bradley Chubb, You're the man quarterback to a tongue by Loa, Marcus Mariota and Max Brosmer. So, I have my starter, my veteran backup, and my rookie developmental piece at running back.
Speaker 2: I feel light here.
Speaker 1: I'll probably come back on day three, maybe try to find like an RJ. Harvey or something from UC, but I'm going light here with A chan Wright, Elijah Mitchell, alec Ingold. I need one more back in that group at receiver, Tyreek Hill, Jalen Wattle, Malik Washington, Kyle Williams. Slotson is my fourth. And then I've got a bunch of guys competing in Eric Azukama, River Craycraft, d S. Gridge, Grant Debos, and Taj Washington at tight end. I freaking love this room. Tyler Warren, John new Smith, Julian Hill, and Tanner Connor. That's gonna be a three man room. Off the top, I already know how it's gonna work from camp into the regular season. And then my tackles are Patrick Paul and Austin Jackson with Daniel Brunskill the swing and I'm gonna let Keon Smith compete for that top swing job to push Brunskill into a pos a possible swing guard swing tackle option. I've got so many options because wi I did on the offensive line. That's why I feel great. I have like eight nine guys that I feel really good about. That's where you want to be. And then Braden Daniels is in the room also with James Daniels, Aaron Brewer, Will Hernandez, Isaiah Winn, and Andrew Meyer my top interior guys with Brunskill to add, So my starters are going to be Paul Daniels, Brewer, Hernandez, and Jackson with Brunskill, Keon Smith and Isaiah Win my top backups. I feel pretty good about that with Andrew Meyer in there as well. On defense, Zach Seeler is the straw that stirs the drink. I gave him, Bobby Brown next to him and Darius Alexander. That's a nose and a three technique, both with really good twitch, one really good run defender, one really good pass rusher. I also brought back Deshan Hand and Benito Jones for depth up front, and I also drafted CJ. West, who has a little bit of everything in his game as a dev piece. On the back of that, this is where I feel a little bit light. We could do some more here. Jalen Phillips and Chop Robinson my two edges. I think JP is going to be back in Week one like he was last year, hopefully we don't have a safety takeout his knees again. And then Marcus Davenport's my third. I don't love that. I need more from Mohammed Kamara this year. And then I do feel good about this part of the room as far as depth goes with Quintin Bell, Tyas Bowser, Grayson Murphy, Cameron Good and Zach Seeler is going to factor in off the edge as well because he's played lots of five technique here and because of my the defensive tackle, I can do that. And I'm still gonna give kalay As Campbell a call and say what's it gonna take to get you back here again next to You're a big fellow. So overall those two groups together I feel good about, even if the edge spot is a little bit weak, because I can pool Seeler and I might have Kalais Campbell on speed dial linebackers, where I also don't feel great. Jordan Brooks, to me has all pro potential we know about that. Tyrell Dotson is my two, and then Chris Barnes, the Arizona free agent, is my three. With Chang Tendall to four. We probably need another body there. Maybe that's a Day three pick or a UDFA competing for that spot. And then at cornerback Ramsey and Coho with Nate Hobbs as my initial starter in the slot, but Jacob Parrish is gonna get a chance to start as well, and quite frankly, I think we're gonna play a lot of six man defensive back packages where we have multiple guys out there, and Parish could be a safety swing kind of guy as well. So there's all kinds of options here. But Ramsey, co Who, Hobbs and Perish, and then Smith, Duck Bonner and Ryan Cooper competing for those spots. I could see going with one of the other hobbes or para and then kind of letting that cornerback spot play itself out and hopefully someone rises to the occasion. But I don't want to leave it to chance, because I want the secondary to be humming with seven to eight guys deep. And that's why I signed Jeremy Chin to be all over the place. That's why I drafted Billy Bowman to play center field for us. And then I have Patrick mc morris as kind of a nickel safety, with Elijah Campbell back in his special teams role rounding out the room. It kind of feels like you're going to go into camp this year with like two, maybe hopefully just one position where it's like, you know, let's see what happens here. And I tend to think off ball linebacker is that spot maybe in the defensive backfield, but at linebacker you signed Dotson, perhaps get a Barnes or a Berks type of addition there, and hopefully one of those three as well as a draft picker Udfa hits behind Brooks. And then I think maybe at cornerback as well. But I'm really conflicted, like if I had to pivot my first two picks I would go Bama linebacker Jahad Campbell and then come back with Mason Taylor at forty eight. But again I've decided to just stick with Tyler Warren at pick thirteen. I think he just changes so much for you. So there you go and doct what Let me know what you think of that roster here before this all starts to happen on social media and we'll have fun, let's go ahead and quickly pivot now to my chat with NFL Network's Rhet Lewis, the Indiana Hoosier and great host and great analyst. He gave me a fun chat at the Combine floor back last week in Indianapolis. Joining us today is one of the anchors of Combine coverage here all week long in Indianapolis. NFL Network talent Rhett Lewis, Rhett, thanks for joining the show. Man.
Speaker 2: Been a long time fan years in.
Speaker 3: The first time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I appreciate that man. Thanks for having me. I love this time of year. I love Draft, I love Combine. This is one of my favorite events and a great opportunity to learn more about players and kind of get to, you know, talk to a bunch of teams and coaches and players It's just it checks all the boxes for me.
Speaker 1: It's so cool because I was telling you before you came on that we have somewhat similar paths. I mean, I've been a host and then kind of also branch into the analyst world and do both those jobs now, and in fact, I anchor our postgame show for the local radio station.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 1: But I also kind of like being the one that gets cued up as an analyst, and you've kind of taken that similar role as well. Yeah, and my question for you is, you know, how did you make that transition? And I assume you were heavily resourceful with all the people you've had around you, like a Daniel, Jeremiah Shurstance, Bucky Brooks, those guys, well, I mean.
Speaker 4: They're the you know, Daniel's the best in the world at being a draft expert. There's there's nobody whose opinion I trust more than him, and and that's because he works at it and I know it so and obviously has been there and done it in the league. And it also turns out that he can regurgitate that information in a highly entertaining manner, which is obviously what an analyst is all about. So yeah, seeing him around has certainly helped, you know, kind of refine the way in which I've approached other avenues in my career. And I think the thing that did it for me was finding a way to get back into live games, you know.
Speaker 3: I I was I've been a.
Speaker 4: Studio host to NFL Network for eleven years and I love that, but there was this itch to get back around games, which the studio gig does not really allow me to do a whole lot. So in order to do that, I went back to Milma Modern, Indiana and joined the radio broadcast team there and was the color analyst for two years. I then, I've also been wanting to get into play by play for a while. I've done a bunch of play by play games, and then I got in with Big ten Network, you know, as a as a color analyst for Indiana's spring game last year, which then they asked me to go and be on one of their crews all year long as a sideline person. So I feel like I can.
Speaker 3: I can.
Speaker 4: I'm more jack of all trades right now than master of one, but we're working towards that maybe we can find a way to be master of them all.
Speaker 3: But it sure does take a takes.
Speaker 4: It takes a toll trying to be everything to everyone, but it's great. I mean, like when you love the subject matter easy, it makes it a lot very.
Speaker 1: Easy the more you can do it. So that's the moniker of the National Football League. And when you walked over, I was actually editing podcast, which five years ago was not something really that well in my repertoire. Right here we are doing it at a high level, i'd like to think these days. So yeah, great stuff, man, that the Move Sticks podcast is one of the best out there.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Love having you guys give me all the content for these draft prospects and really the background detail on these guys. That's that's gotta be a fun part of this whole thing.
Speaker 4: For you, you know, and getting to do play by play for the Senior Bowl this year for NFL Network really kind of allowed me the opportunity and the necessity to dig into the background story of you know, all those players that were there. So you know, that was that was the thing that consumed most of my time. Whereas you know, in my my college roles, i'd be you know, watching their tape, but in this one, I was trying to learn more about who they are, and because obviously, you know, DJ and Charles were we're providing you know, all of the analysis. But I've also found that getting to be around those guys in my role at Big ten Network, like on the college side, has helped on the NFL side this time of year, understand who they are and get to talk to some coaches about him and that sort of thing. So yeah, I love I love learning with the stories. And God, we had some incredible ones at the Senior Bowl and some of those guys are obviously a bunch most of those guys are here at the combine as well.
Speaker 2: Is the anyone that stands out to you?
Speaker 4: I mean Jack besh is, you know, unfortunately for all the wrong reasons. But what he did to turn it, you know into good uh and and into some positivity after his brother was killed in the terrorist attack on New Orleans in New Year's Day, catching the game when he passed at the Senior Bowl, I think, you know, showed what kind of mentally tough kid he is.
Speaker 3: But it also showed like what a damn good football player.
Speaker 4: Yes, absolutely, Like let's have let that get lost in the shuffle here of what was a great moment.
Speaker 3: So he's he's an incredible one.
Speaker 4: Gosh, there's a there, There's there's a million stories out there that we could we could go into, but I don't think anyone's going to rise above Jack Besh.
Speaker 3: At this point.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Hearing him speak, like within a week of that happening, you almost couldn't even tell, like the way he was like kind of locked in on all of it.
Speaker 4: So what football helps you and you know what can help in in that that healing process.
Speaker 1: And I think Jack also seems to be a guy that with his size, you know, in a smaller Dolphins receivers room and that temperament.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe he's a fit for the Dolphins at.
Speaker 1: Some point on Day two in this year's draft, all day long. Yeah, I think him and his teammate Save Williams are fun. Are fun process. Yes, very good point with that in mind, when you look at the Dolphins this year's draft. I've had a lot of folks in this chair this week and I've asked him the same question and I've got a lot of very variable answers that are kind of fun to go through. But when you look at the Miami Dolphins in this year's draft and offseason, what do you what kind of is the I guess overarching theme to you about what they need to do to to kind of find their way back into the playoffs, you know, after a down year when you know, if two was healthy probably back in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: He wasn't for this season. But how do they find their way back into the postseason?
Speaker 4: And I think it's it's rekindling a dominant run game, you know. I mean, Mike is such a genius at figuring that stuff out, and I'm sure he will, but like that to me feels like, you know, like that's who the Dolphins were when they were really rolling, when that offense was just so difficult to stop. Is that run game, you know, with with whether it was Devon a Chen or whether it was Mostard or Wilson or you know, like whoever was healthy, which has kind of been the unfortunate part of that.
Speaker 3: A lot of those guys haven't been healthy.
Speaker 4: Throughout the course of the season consistently, so I guess, you know, that is tough, but ultimately, like they've got to rebuild that offensive line, you know, I think and obviously seeing that some of the headlines with Toron Armstead and you know, not not necessarily counting on him to be a part of it. I think, you know, sitting there at thirteen, you're gonna have a chance to improve your offensive line, you know, right there, whether that's a guy like Booker from Alabama, whether it's Banks from Texas. I don't think Will Campbell's there at that point from LSU. Maybe a touch high for a player like Grey's Abele from North Dakota.
Speaker 3: Build my GA.
Speaker 4: It was incredible, And what he gives you is the opportunity to put him almost anywhere along the line. Although I feel like he's he's probably the best center in this year's class, although he took reps everywhere and won most of them at all those positions at the Senior Bowl. So what that'll do is allow you some versatility to get your best five out there. You know, maybe if there's an opportunity to slide down, that becomes a little bit more of a real possibility there. I think he's probably you're probably talking about a Zabel coming off the board, you know, I don't know eighteen to twenty eight at this point, but it's not that far off at thirteen anyway. So I think that would make sense. And then you know, you know, defensively, you know, I think what happens with Javon Holland will also play a big role in how this draft turns out.
Speaker 1: It's a deep class at safety as well, later on on Day two, Day three also, and then the free agent class is pretty pretty packed in that position as well. Yeah, it's funny you mentioned Zabel, like talk about how much you can help yourself with the Senior Bowl.
Speaker 2: My goodness, he really shining.
Speaker 1: Example, it's incredible you mentioned Will Campbell and I'm curious to kind of circle back on him because I think when the college she's an ended, he was kind of thought as like the guy, not not maybe not Joe Alt level, but he was kind of the.
Speaker 2: Guy at the draft class.
Speaker 1: But the more I'm hearing from people like yourself this week in India, it sounds like maybe a move inside could be best for him.
Speaker 4: For Will Campbell, Yeah, I'd still keep Will Campbell at tackle. I think that's that's where he's at. I think there's there's certainly guys out there like armand Membu people are talking about as as potential, you know, ability to move in inside maybe better suited there. But he's really played tackle at Missouri and played very well in the SEC, so I don't know that that is a necessity. I think he's got framed there, you know, to be one of those guys, I think, you know, a player down the road like Jonah Mannheim from usc who also had another really good Senior Bowl week, could be a player that makes a lot of sense as an interior player to help upgrade that that part of it. You know, if you don't if you don't get one of those guys in the first first two rounds, Monheim could be availab a little bit later on.
Speaker 3: When you look at this draft as a whole.
Speaker 1: You know, the offensive line seems to be a kind of a sweet spot there. From Miami, I think, you know, there's some edge rushers you could look at defensive tackle position to kind of replace what you know you lost in Christian Wilkins and then this year with Kalais Campbell see what happens with him. But that seems to be kind of a sweet spot in this draft. But in terms of this class, you know, I keep hearing him like not super top heavy, but a lot of depth in the class. I'm just curious with the balance of the positions and maybe the lack of star power up top. Like, how would you describe this draft if you kind of had to look at it as on a whole the draft as a whole show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's a it's a big person draft.
Speaker 4: It really is, if you I'm really on both sides of the ball, with more top end talent on the defensive side for the big people. And so, you know, I think the Dolphins really hit on Chop Robinson last year, right, and so that process for them worked with Chopp. You know, looking at the way the Eagles win the Super Bowl, wouldn't hate him dialing up with Mike Green right there at pick number thirteen. I think, you know, the FBS stack leader at Marshall has shown some incredible ability, you know in mobile Senior Bowl on tape, that kind of sack production you don't just happen stance into.
Speaker 3: So I wouldn't hate that either.
Speaker 4: I mean, like, yeah, you're getting better there, but are you you know, are you dominant there?
Speaker 3: I don't know. Let's let's try to get better.
Speaker 4: And so I think that that's something especially you know, considering uh, you know, the health of you know Jalen Phillips and guys at that position too.
Speaker 1: I mean they opened the year last year with going into training camp. It was Breley Chubb. We knew he was going to miss some time. Jalen Phillips was on his way back.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Jack Barrett didn't make it to training camp. He retired on the team before that got there, and then Chock Robinson became what he was rookie.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I had dinner last time with a buddy of mine who's brother in law intended attended Indiana, and i've I'm I'm big on this defensive tackle class, but he told me to ask Rehet Lewis about c J.
Speaker 3: West.
Speaker 4: C J. West is a is an interior disruptor, a little over six foot, three.
Speaker 3: Hundred pounds like he will.
Speaker 4: You know, I don't know that he's gonna sit there and cover up the center as a nose, but I think he could in a in a more of a four down type of scenario, could find his way to create some havoc inside.
Speaker 3: He did that at the Shrine Bowl in in.
Speaker 4: Dallas, and I think he's his game really blossomed and that's what he was asked to do at IU was like, Hey, don't worry about the gaps you get in there, cause Havoc linebackers will fix it for you.
Speaker 3: And and that's that's what he did.
Speaker 4: I would have liked to have seen it maybe a little bit more consistently, like that top level disruption, but I think he's got that in his bag, and I'll.
Speaker 3: Be really intrigued to see where he goes.
Speaker 4: I think he's probably you know, the ceiling right now kind of feels like a fourth round type of situation, but I feel really good about getting him on day three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd be interested.
Speaker 1: That's that's a fun defensive tackle class look at, especially up top with you know, all the Michigan guys. Oh yeah, I mean it's it's Walter Nolan. It's it's loaded up there rtt Lewis. So you can find him on the NFL Combine coverage this weekend NFL Draft as well all across the NFL media landscape and red before you go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I actually just remember this.
Speaker 1: So back in twenty twenty, my first year with the Miami Dolphins, they didn't have local talent on the on the like, on the scene for training camp because the of COVID and so they had me fill in and actually on Inside Training Camp Live you through it to me. Yes, nice, So I had forgotten about that. Then it kind of all came back to me here on the show. So look at this five years later making full search. Oh that's awesome, man, I hope you get to do that again this summer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it'd be great. Appreciate your time today, Ye, my pleasure.
Speaker 3: Thanks.
Speaker 2: I think one of my.
Speaker 1: Favorite parts about doing this job is when you get a kind of inclination for how a person is that you haven't met yet, and then you meet that person and they not only live up to that expectation but exceed it. And ratt Lewis is definitely one of those guys. So thanks to him and all the folks that joined us on the show throughout the week at the Combine. It really makes my job easier to have guests on the show and kind of get me through the entire week of content as I sprinkle in my own takes and thoughts and film evaluations and all the projections that we do here on the show with you guys to get different voices.
Speaker 2: So keep it locked right here.
Speaker 1: On Monday, Kyle Krabs joins us for one last the off season, and then on Wednesday, we're gonna have a whole bevy of moves to talk about, maybe some from your Miami Dolphins. We shall see. Until then, though, that's gonna be my time. You all, please be sure to subscribe to the podcast, leave us at rating, leave us a review. You can follow me on social at Wingfold NFL and the team at Miami Dolphins. Check out the fish Tank podcast with Seth and Juice, and the YouTube channel for Dolphins HQ, Media availabilities and so much more and last button not least, Miami Dolphins dot com.
Speaker 2: Until next time, Finns up, Caroline and Cameron. Daddy, He's coming home.