Speaker 1: Hello, this is Jesse and Holly with a quick note before we start.
Speaker 2: This is the first time that we've ever made media that's published in the United States, and in light of that, we have a couple of things to say. Number One, we are not ever making any speculations on Bruce Bringsteen's sexuality or gender.
Speaker 3: Number Two, we wanted to give you a heads up that in this episode we use historically derogatory language which we have reclaimed as queer people. So this is every Bruce zem I've ever made.
Speaker 4: So I think.
Speaker 3: It's yeah, it's from queers.
Speaker 1: Near to town. It's just part you.
Speaker 3: Nobody thinks about loneliness and small town fatigue like Bruce. Nobody can write so succinctly about the dark, quiet emptiness when you are lonely and out of place, and then wrap it up in a three minute pop song like Bruce can. Nobody can write about them danity of depression and the infatuation of being in love like Bruce. I was Bruce in born to run thunder Road, ready to break out of my small town and never look back. I was Bruce in dancing in the dark, staring in a mirror, hitting my clothes, my hair and my face. I was tired and bothered myself and dreaming of getting out. And sure I had crushes of plenty, but more than anything, I just wanted queer friends to make me feel normal, and that just didn't exist in my small town. It's all a bit emo and dramatic now considering I've lived in a big city with queer friends and culture and punk and art in my life, but things are a bit emo and dramatic when you're a lonely teenage queer.
Speaker 1: And Bruce understood my pain. I'm Holly.
Speaker 3: You're hearing recordings of me in my natural habitat, sitting on the floor in my bedroom, surrounded by my zeines. I was just reading from one I made about Bruce Brinkstein called Queer's on the Edge of Town. I started makingnes in the nineties when I was living in a small town in West Yorkshire, and it was my entry to the world of DIY queer punk. It's not very common for queer DIY punks to be into Bruce Springsteen. When my friends found out about how much I loved Bruce, they'd often just take the pace, not understanding why I spent so much time listening to this pretty mainstream rock musician. So one night in twenty ten, I decided to make a zine that would explain why I'm.
Speaker 1: So obsessed with Bruce Springsteen.
Speaker 3: This scene was made while listening to Nebraska, the Rising and Live in New York. The introduction says, wait, you like Bruce Springsteen, but Holly, I thought you were super cool and punk rock and awesome Bruce Springsteen.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 3: I made I think ten copies, gave them to my friends and was like, this is how Bruce Springsteen makes me feel.
Speaker 1: Stop making fun of me.
Speaker 3: About a year later, my friend convinced me to take some copies to the Queer sine Fest in London, and about halfway through the day it already sold out. It was the first time I realized that there were other queer Bruce Nerds out there, So I started making mousines. Issue Too, a bit of a soppy one Is This Issue Too, came out in twenty thirteen.
Speaker 1: Me and Bruce and.
Speaker 3: My dads Why a Northern Queer, working class feminist fam Love of Druce Sprinsteen, which is literally just all about my dad and class and being working class and working factories and the similarities there's really famous Bruce Sprinsteen songs like Born's Ron thunder Road, which are all about escape and leaving somewhere and never coming back. But Bruce is also really good at writing about what about the people who don't leave? What about the people who can't leave because they're stuck? And I feel like it was just this big thing to listen to Bruce Springsteen.
Speaker 1: And hear my family. My dad reflected in those.
Speaker 4: Lyrics if she got lost in the move.
Speaker 1: I moved house se many times in London. It's just I lost the originals.
Speaker 3: Leading to issue four, which you heard at the start of the episode. I'm just going to read a segment from an updated edition about the many queer butch camp personalities I've projected onto different eras of Bruce Brinstein's fashion. Okay, I want Bruce to be queer. I want Bruce to be a hot butch girl. I'm thinking about Bruce in the eighties now, with muscle teas and high waisted jeans, plaid shirts tucked in, hair slipped back but curls, breaking free. Bruce the mechanic as she slides out from underneath the car, Gruce stains on her overalls I'm thinking of Tunnel of Love era Bruce with baggy blouses and tailored suits as Bruce abandoned the denim and plaid and embrace being forty and handsome as fuck. Or Bruce as a silver Fox, the hot older academic, smart jeans and a waistcoat and shirt and slicked back hair. I want Bruce to be the butch girl of my dreams. I want Bruce to be a fag. I want him and his leather jacket and his tight, scruffy jeans making out with all the boys, messy hair, messy beard, white vests and tight black jeans. I'm thinking about seventies Bruce when he was at his musk gruffy and his must cheeky Bruce dancing in the dark with Clarence on stage, leaning back as Clarence pulls him in for a kiss. Or eighties Bruce when his muscles were completely out of control, his super match of biceps bursting through his shirt, demanding to be set free in tight white vests, Bruce grunting and leaning up against Miami Steve on stage, playing guitar back to back and singing about being blood brothers and singing of his one true lost love.
Speaker 1: I want Bruce to be the queer boy of my dreams.
Speaker 2: Because this is because the bus belongs to us a podcast where two queer friends who bonded over their love of Bruce Bringsteen go on a mission to get the bus recognized as the queer icon we know that he is.
Speaker 1: Hey Jesse, Hey Holly.
Speaker 2: I love all the imagined versions of Bruce and your Zcene.
Speaker 1: I too want Bruce to be the twinkie vag of my dreams.
Speaker 2: And the fact that Bruce has had so many looks over his career is part of what we're talking about today.
Speaker 3: Yes, because last episode we made a big decision.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we decided to annoyt ourselves with queer icon scientific research leaders.
Speaker 1: To prove that Bruce Bringsteen is in fact a queer icon.
Speaker 3: In order to do this, so the thing with Cam is that you can never really completely pin it down. We spoke to an expert on our first point of queer icondom Camp.
Speaker 1: I'm an Ellena Medhurst and I'm a historian of lesbian fashion.
Speaker 3: Her account Dressing Dykes has taught me so much about queer fashion history, and she just published a.
Speaker 5: Book Unsuitable, A History of lesbian fashion, which I'm really excited about.
Speaker 2: In order to find out if we can see Bruce through a camp lens, we need a definition for camp.
Speaker 1: I think that there's like different kinds of camp.
Speaker 5: There's the more archetypical, gay, male centric camp, the one that's more widely recognized feathers and glitter and Priscilla Queen of the Desert. My uk R reference for camp is like strictly come dancing is like so camp and if you're American, that's dancing with the stars.
Speaker 1: Camp is extravagant and knowing.
Speaker 5: But I do think that that kind of camp as well is quite difficult to actually achieve, like you have to really know what you're doing. It's quite self referential.
Speaker 3: I will say this kind of stereotypical camp aesthetic that Eleanor's describing glitter, lights, sparkles, et cetera.
Speaker 2: That's not really Bruce's vibe. But I love the phrase extravagant and knowing. None of Bruce's like center like glitter, but I definitely think that some of them are self referential and over the top in his own way.
Speaker 5: There's this complete are the side of camp that's very down to earth, practical, like die Key camp. And I've written before about like sensible footwear being lesbian camp and how like a search for pump and a very sort of again this self referential like knowing the stereotype and embracing them anyway, it's kind of cam.
Speaker 6: The thing that I'm getting for you is this like that self referential and like awareness of what you're doing is really important in camp. Yeah, and so that kind of makes sense in terms of if you're like sensible footwear for lesbians camp, because that's making an in joke about what lesbians are like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that way it is.
Speaker 2: Over the top, even if the product is like a comfortable slipper.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 3: The problem is, though, you can't always be sure what people are referencing when they're wearing certain clothes. I had an experience where I was like out in a club and I was like dancing with this person who is.
Speaker 2: Wearing cordalry trousers and had a mullet, and then I like try to get with her, and then she was like, hife straight, Oh, obviously that's totally fine. But in the moment my reply was like, but you can have a mullet, and so is there so it's like kind of progression of like marginalized communities do it first, and then it slowly becomes absorbed, and then marginalized have.
Speaker 6: To come up with news.
Speaker 1: Yeah, kind of like things.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and this is something that's been going on for a while. There's a quote that I use quite a lot in my lectures and stuff, which is from nineteen ninety seven.
Speaker 2: I think looking Good The Lesbian Gays and Fashion Imagery by Raina Lewis.
Speaker 5: Raina and Lewis said something like we used to just know by looking at a pair of sensible shoes, but then everyone started wearing Doctor Martin's and foot wears. Lesbian coding was undermined. And that's for me, you know, twenty six years ago. And like you said, like dongarees very fashionable for any straight woman at the moment. But I always say, like, people ask me this quite a lot, and I say, I think that's a good thing for like women, especially because great, you're wearing comfortable clothes.
Speaker 1: Good for you. I'm so pleased, do you know.
Speaker 3: I mean, I agree, I'm very happy for straight women to be comfortable. But yeah, it does kind of change queer people's ability to be self referential, as your clubbing experience shows, we need to know how to spot each other two.
Speaker 2: I think this is also a good illustration of why camp is so hard to pin down, because, like queer fashion, camp is by definition contextual. Clothes themselves do not camp make, but they can form part of a bigger camp picture, depending on the circumstances.
Speaker 3: Eleanor, shockingly is not really a Sprinstein fan, so she didn't know about just how versatile Bruce was with his looks.
Speaker 2: He like serves b looks like. It's not that he consistently looked one way for his career. He looked so many different ways, and a lot of them for us.
Speaker 1: Feels super queer.
Speaker 3: To get Eleanor up to speed, we sent her a bunch of photos of Bruce Brinstein's different outfits, which we very professionally labeled daiki Bruce looks and faggy Bruce looks.
Speaker 2: That's after the break, Jesse Holly.
Speaker 1: Because the bus belongs to us.
Speaker 3: We asked Eleanor aka are queer fashion expert dressing Dykes to put Bruce to the camp test by analyzing photos of his different fashion eras hang.
Speaker 2: On because I saved them on my phone we started with the faggy Bruce Looks folder the Born in the USA Hubbo.
Speaker 3: Released in nineteen eighty four. It's a picture of his ass. Basically, he's wearing a white T shirt, tight blue jeans, and a black leather studdard belt with a red cap hanging out of his right back pocket. This image is superimposed over the red and white stripes of the American flag.
Speaker 1: It's giving a hanky cut.
Speaker 5: There's a photo series by Hal Fisher called Gay Semiotics from nineteen seventy seven that documented fashion and signals war my gay men in San Francisco in the late seventies. One of the pictures is of the Hanky code and its two men wearing jeans. It's like the same amount of their body is on show as in the Born in the USA cover. They both have handkerchiefs in their pocket, red handkerchief. It's in the same pocket as Bruce has his red cap.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I don't think it was intentional, but it's just such a solid connection, Like I'm sure there were gay men who saw that, pitch loads of gay men or queer people of all kinds who saw that picture and went, oh my god.
Speaker 1: Brice Let's sing, Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: Look, we're not saying that Bruce wants a fist up his ass, but regardless, this image is so rooted in queericnography.
Speaker 5: Having that reference to gay culture, to the hanky code, with the red, white and blue, with the stripes, with the born.
Speaker 1: In the USA.
Speaker 5: There's something about mixing the like American patriotic symbolism with quer symbolism and going.
Speaker 1: This is this is the thing that's happened. Now, what are you going to do about it?
Speaker 2: We can't ever know the intentions of Bruce and the photographer, but could this count as a tick for Camp if we take Eleanor's description of Camp as extravagant and knowing, we can at least agree that this look checks the extravagant bucks.
Speaker 3: To continue the research, we switched over to the DIKI Bruce Looks folder. We started with a foot that I like to call Bruce's stone butch blues. He's older in it, salt and pepper vibes.
Speaker 5: In a sort of like western outfit, a denim jacket, a shilling jacket on top, holding a cowboy hat. I was looking at them with my wife and she went, oh, that looks like Kadi Lang so much, and we were like, these are all KD.
Speaker 2: LG.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes they are. They're the same.
Speaker 5: And there's an early picture of Kadie Lang from Cadie Lang, and there are clines a cover from an album from nineteen eighty seven where she's wearing like the same outfit and has a cowboy hat in her hands.
Speaker 2: If dear listener, you would like to compare these licks yourself image that Bruce Springsteen Western Stars Jacket and Kadie Lang Absolute Torch and Twang nineteen eighty seven.
Speaker 1: Can you see? Oh, I've put them next to each other. It's like the same as Oh my god, that's made by Deer.
Speaker 2: I cannot stress enough how identical these licks scene, both in double jackets, blue denim underneath with brown on top, both on cowboy hats, oozing butch sexiness.
Speaker 3: As recommended by our lawyer, we do have to say that we are not accusing Bruce of stealing looks from KD. Lack, but in terms of his camp credentials, this look is hell a butch.
Speaker 1: It's like you squint and everyone can be a butch. I love this.
Speaker 3: I will be squinting for the rest of my days.
Speaker 1: It's actually a famous name in the queer Bruce fandom world. I shared it all my books.
Speaker 2: Springsing jag account is a screenshot of a tweet on Dumbler asking can a sis guy be butch?
Speaker 1: And someone I was commenting Bruce Springsteen.
Speaker 3: Some of the images we said, eleanor are from his eighties muscle era, so much plaid, lots of tight jeans.
Speaker 1: Cut off shirts, bandannas around his head.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what would be your kind of like professional fashion analysis.
Speaker 1: Of those bits of his fashion journey?
Speaker 5: As you know, it's very gender, it's very like playing with like hyper masculinity in a way that can almost come back round. I think a lot of queer people have also experimented with using materials like plans, like denim, haptile like masculine, almost industrial again, like working class esthetics.
Speaker 3: It's funny because we're looking at these outfits through the lens of our own experience, so it's kind of impossible for us to not see a sexy, butch muscle queen.
Speaker 2: Are we projecting onto him? Do people choose to be camp or is it chosen for them?
Speaker 5: In my job as a lesbian fashion historian, I have to look at the evidence. Often people who can't even speak for themselves anymore. It's people who have often been recognized as just being straight, and you have to go, well, no, I don't think that's the case. And this is part of this history that I'm writing now for us. Yeah, if you can see Bruce Springsteen as a camp bike on, then Bruce Springsteen is a camp hyicon.
Speaker 1: We wouldn't all be.
Speaker 5: Here talking about it if we didn't recognize.
Speaker 1: It as camp. I'm so happy that Bruce will not being cleaned in your book.
Speaker 5: On lesbian Yeah, I'll have to like do a little addition somewhere.
Speaker 2: Okay, So a lesbian fashion historian has said we get to decide if Bruce's camp. She agrees he has campusthetics mission a gump list.
Speaker 3: I know Eleanor said we can just cheese, but I can't shake that it might just be us seeing the stuff in him. We see plaid sleeveless shirts and tight blue jeans as really butch, but another person could just look at these photos and just think they're really madly.
Speaker 2: I do think there's an extravagance to his performance of masculinity, though, because there's Massilira Bruce, But there's also like studded leather jacket.
Speaker 1: Twin here at Bruce.
Speaker 2: It feels like he's trying on different versions of masculinity in quite.
Speaker 1: A playful way. Yeah.
Speaker 5: The leather look in particular, like that has a long queer history.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I think it's I think it's sort of powerful and empowering to have someone wearing that.
Speaker 2: This playfulness trying on different versions of masculinity feels close to the idea of gender as a performance, which is very.
Speaker 1: Rooted in queer culture.
Speaker 3: And Bruce said in his autobiography, looking back on these photos, now, I look simply gay. I'd probably fit right in down on Christopher Street in any one of the leather bars. So it seems like, at least in retrospect, he has some awareness of the queerness of these looks.
Speaker 2: The other huge thing about Bruce's esthetics are that he's often choosing to reference a.
Speaker 1: Particular working class culture. Yeah, totally. He makes loads of.
Speaker 3: References about how he grew up working class in New Jersey. There's that lyric where he says rich man in a poor man's shirt, and he seems to think a lot about his own class status and rolling class struggles. He acknowledges this funny position he's in. His dad worked in a factory, but he himself started playing music at sixteen, and he now jokes that he's never worked a day in his life, but his songs are about the lives of working class people. His relationship to class is super interesting, but I'm not sure if it's got anything to do with queerness.
Speaker 1: That's next a way back, because.
Speaker 3: I feel unsure about Camp's relationship to class. We've just spent a whole conversation looking at a bunch of amazing Bruce outfits that actually a lot of people would just see us working class clothing and kind of conflated them with queer aesthetics. And Camp does that sit right with us? Is Bruce doing like extravagant working class looks? And if so, is that solidarity or taking the piss is saying certain looks are Camp looking down or laughing at.
Speaker 2: It does feel sometimes like we're treading a fine line with appropriation. I guess I've always seen Camp as more of a camaraderie, a recognition that we're all failing the made up standards of what we're told we have to be like to be a respectable human adult and then finding excellence in how we fail.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, being.
Speaker 3: Like capitalist heteropatriarchy is fucking us all over, so we might as well make our failures fabulous.
Speaker 7: Camp is always about being in on its own, Joe Like, you can laugh at others because you're doing it lovingly, because you've spent your whole life laugh at yourself, and you know that life is full of things that you have to lear to keep from crying about. This is brick Bropalmieri. I write a lot about history about queer culture. All of LiLine like writing an art is sort of around DIY, like small, homegrown, underground kind of like culture.
Speaker 3: About five years ago, Brooke launched a learning platform combined with the zine and print library and resource pulling together references to queer and gender nonconforming histories, and.
Speaker 7: I called it camp Books because for me, the idea of camping it up is a really fun and accessible and timeless way of participating in a counterculture in a kind of esthetic or fashion of like working against the norms of the world around you.
Speaker 2: Brooke was the first ever queer Springsteen fan I met. They said to me that Bruce has a soul of a poet and the masses of a sailor, which I've never forgotten.
Speaker 3: Because Brooke literally runs a platform called camp Books. We were kind of hoping that they would just tell us if Bruce was camp or not, but they did, in fact start the interview saying basically the same thing as Eleanor.
Speaker 7: There's no one arbiter. It does have to kind of be a group mentality, you know, And I just feel like, yeah, that's why, like student Santag she was writing in her through her art scene at the time, Christopher iowod writing through his scene in Berlin at the time. You know, all these people, they're kind of distilling a group consciousness. So that's also like, I really appreciate that you're doing that. Now.
Speaker 1: It's exactly what we're doing. Voices of a Generation.
Speaker 3: We're just as important the season stag that's the tagline for this entire podcast.
Speaker 7: Totally.
Speaker 2: We simply just keep adding important titles to ourselves. We're qualified scientists finding quer kons and now with the Voices of a Generation, defining camp for millennials everywhere.
Speaker 3: Even though we are perfect, everyone keeps telling us that we don't need anyone else's opinion to make this decision. Brooke did eventually tell us their definition of camp.
Speaker 7: Camp is a really joyful immersion in the best and worst of humanity. It's all about channeling the extremes and trying to make something fun and enjoyable out of sometimes like a bad lot in life.
Speaker 1: And that's why it's.
Speaker 7: Particularly valuable to queer people, to poor people, to people who are for whatever reason, on the outskirts and can't participate in society because of the money that they have or the power that they have. Camp is kind of about like changing like where that power comes from. It's sort of about changing the rules of power relations and being abject in a really fabulous.
Speaker 1: Way, abjects in a really fabulous way. I love that.
Speaker 3: One of the reasons we wanted to talk to Brooke is that they've spent a lot of time thinking about class and its relationship to the Camp of Bruce Springsteen. Brook is originally from Philadelphia and comes from a similar class background to Bruce.
Speaker 7: I was not socialized like to be masculine, but I grew up really admiring like the kind of culture and camaraderie and love that like, for instance, like Grapa had around his garage because he was a mechanic. My grandpa would show his love for his neighbors by fixing their cars for them, and that was his kind of expression of masculinity. And I always just like grew up feeling so in awe of those forms of connection.
Speaker 3: I grew up working class, and it's validating to hear someone describe the tenderness of working class culture when other people might only see the rough and tough. But this is also where I feel wary of like queer commentary and class stuff, because I think there can be a fine line between celebration, self referencing and fetishization of struggle, and Bruce really tours this fine line.
Speaker 7: I was really excited when you asked me to talk about Bruce Springsteen because I do think there's so much camp potential with him. I think camp kind of moves me on threshold of just wearing a costume or taking a pose. It's like putting on a costume, taking up that posture in order to go beyond into a kind of true embodiment. But I think the sort of secret to his songs working and his songs having real staying power and being the kind of songs that you want to sing along to that create worlds you have an affinity for, you want to participate in. Or he writes so well because he doesn't have critical distance from the subjects of his songs, and that like the characters that he's building in his songs, because he allows himself too much affection for them, and he allows himself to spend too long imagining what it would be like in their shoes. There's not a lot of critical distance in camp you really like dive in and you spend a lot of time in that world is really about like world building and building the world you want to stay in. And I think that like for better for worse, when he's singing in the first person songs that he's singing for like he wants to be there, even if he wants to be the one denouncing how awful it is to work in a factory or singing about how upsetting it is to kind of live in an apocalyptic post industrial landscape, He's still doing it from this place of love and affection. And it's not just drag. It's like a kind of willful embodiment.
Speaker 4: Which is really helping me understand Camp.
Speaker 3: I think the way you phrase like so well, because there's a lyric in Springsten some where he says he's a rich man at a poor man shirt, which could be like such an offensive thing to say because there is no there's no truth that whatsoever.
Speaker 4: It's just a costume. It's just a bit. It doesn't mean anything like what you're saying about the tenderness and the truthfulness of that. You've got to have this combination of I guess artifice for camp what like you've been saying. But there's got to be an element of authenticity with that as well. It can't just be pure artific for if it's sick, It's got to be authenticity mixed with arurface.
Speaker 8: Is that right?
Speaker 7: Yeah? I think you started exactly, And I think the authenticity comes from, like, well, how do you spend your time? Where are you? The difference between someone swooping in and assuming a kind of outfit in a world that they've never even tried to spend time in is really different from someone being embedded in a context and making art that reflects their genuine affection for that context. It's like you are sincerely committed to the bit. The look, the persona, the performance. Whatever it is you're trying to invoke is like you are sincere to the point of devotional and loving.
Speaker 2: And this commitment is so so clear in Bruce Springsteen, you.
Speaker 7: Know that documentary, the promise about the making of Darkness on the Edge of Town. He does not leave a single aspect or detail of that of his recording process to chance. It's all like meticulously And so I just had this imergine. I just imergine him kind of being like a like a like an unholy nightmare in a way that like the problem is you have to love them for it, because they're right. He is a person of grand vision executed through like control over minute details.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Well that's camp in itself, right, that that vision that control that artifice, but from a place of authenticity.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, something that Bruce is really famous for his life shows. It's just randomly picking out songs from signs in the crowd. People write requests for the most niche b side tracks and Bruce will pick them out and be like, okay, band, let's see if you can remember this one from twenty years ago. And then they were always, without fail deliver a perfect performance of that song.
Speaker 1: It is magic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I am so sorry to ruin the magic for you, But I think a lot of this is probably fake. I don't know for sure, and there is a lot of fan speculation about this, but my impression of Bruce is that he's way too in control of his image to do this kind of thing on the fly, and a lot of this is probably pre planned based on songs that the East Street Band have rehearsed, because honestly, how else does he randomly pick the one song that guitarist Steven Sant plays mandolin on and then Steve just happens to have a mandolin in his hand before Bruce even picks that song. But I actually think maybe this is more magic. And that's kind of what Brooke said too. Bruce's undine commitment to the bit is camp.
Speaker 7: The reason for it being an act is so it will be better because because we deserve nice things, and like working class people deserve nice things, we deserve to see a good show of highly talented musicians, and in order for that to happen, they need to practice. So I also like that there's an act of generosity there, like you deserve a high experience, a highly you know, a wonderful, overwhelming artistic aesthetic experience. Whatever you deserve to see good art. So in order to give that to you, the show I'm putting on is is just like high. I've been so leticulous and considering every aspect of it and how it will affect you as an audience. And that feels the like generosity is also very camp to me. I don't think of camp as stingy. I think of it like as people giving We're all yeah, I think I think the generosity is there and the performance of like endurance.
Speaker 2: Bruce is famous for doing shows that often last over four hours. Even more recently, in his twenty eighteen stage show Springsteen on Broadway, he performed so many times in one year there were long stretches where he was performing it eight times a week.
Speaker 7: Like you just don't have to You could just Len do that. You know, he's Bruce racing. He can give himself a gentle schedule, is bu Springsteen.
Speaker 3: I love this addition of generosity to our definition of camp. Bruce gives us the gift of extravagant generosity.
Speaker 7: Can tell he has been a therapy so he has like a kind of he and maybe that's what makes him amenable to queer culture is like he he clearly has this lag work of self reflection and self evaluation that comes from being someone for whatever reason, has had to question every single thing about themselves.
Speaker 3: As Bruce has gotten older, there seems to be more and more reflection on his identity in his work. This comes up a lot in his autobiography and Springsteen on Broadway.
Speaker 7: It's been through like same and what it means to try to be honorable and accountable to roots that he has in a time and in a place in an economy that are so different from the kind of upward mobility that he's achieved as an orgist. And then this existential question of if he performs something long enough, like when do you stop switching modes from being one person to a performer to just always being that thing that you're performing.
Speaker 2: Something that Tom said last episode when we were discussing Camp is that camp is also ultimately about telling the truth. And I think there's something so beautiful in what we discussed with Brooke, which is that this commitment, this generosity, this world building is a kind of balance between artifice and getting into the truth of the situation.
Speaker 3: I think I'm coming round to Bruce's camp credentials. We did ask Brooke ultimately what their feelings were about this checklist point.
Speaker 8: I understand that we've just spent a lot of time speaking with Nuance and Light and Shade, but we are in fact on a mission, and the mission is to see whether Bruce can be recognized as a queer icon.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 8: In order to fulfill that mission, we need to tick a check on our checklist, which is Bruce Camp.
Speaker 1: Yes, and you are the arbor two of that for us.
Speaker 7: Yes, he is. Yeah, he is absolutely camp. He is so committed to his performance that I thinking in the latest, like the deep hours of the night, questions whether he's ever left the performance he's created, you know what I mean. So, Yeah, and that that is a camp existential crisis to have, stunning.
Speaker 2: You heard it here first, Bruce Springsteen is Camp. That's item want on our checklist. Bird filled, one down, three to go.
Speaker 3: Can Queer's route for Bruce Sprinksteen as an underdog? That's next episode because because the Boss belongs to us. As a production of Malten Heart and Heart Podcasts.
Speaker 1: We're hosted by Jesse Lawson and Holly Cassio.
Speaker 3: The series is executive produced by Jesse and Holly and created by Jesse Lawson.
Speaker 2: This episode was produced and sound designed by Jesse Lawson, with production assistants by Tess Hazel.
Speaker 1: Michelle Maclam is our mixed engineer.
Speaker 3: Our original music and theme is by Talk Bizarre at Talk D A Z A R Underscore, and our.
Speaker 2: Show art was designed and illustrated by Holly Cassio at Holly c Asio.
Speaker 3: Fact checking by Selina Serlin. Legal services provided by A Rowan Morn and File. Our executive producer from Modern Heart is Jasmine J. T.
Speaker 1: Green.
Speaker 2: Our executive producer from iHeart Podcast is Lindsay hoffin Bye Goodbye Cool