Speaker 1: And That's what you really missed with Jenna.
Speaker 2: And Kevin An iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Welcome to You, and That's what you Really miss podcast, Season five, Episode nine, It's frenemies. Happy New Year, everybody, twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: We made it barely.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, I mean we're still we're still ringing on. We're still ringing on.
Speaker 2: Who knows what a weird transitional time.
Speaker 1: Truly, I don't know what's to come, but you know we're going to be positive because this episode is great.
Speaker 2: Yes, what a way to ring in the new year, to be honest for us. Oh my gosh, loved this episode. I cannot get over it. The front of Me's air date was February twenty fifth, twenty fourteen.
Speaker 1: Wow, yeah, wow, crazy, Okay, a bit of a break.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was break here, and I think the break was needed.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm right.
Speaker 2: It feels like everyone benefited from a break except my hairline. My hairline is deeply receding in this.
Speaker 1: It's just all the stress. It's all the stress you went through last year.
Speaker 2: It was we came back and like where did she go? She is jumping back, but the stress, it feels this feels like an older Glee episode.
Speaker 1: Yes, we're a classic Glee episode, music, storyline, tone. It was so refreshing to watch and so enjoyable, and obviously we had such a good time shooting this as well. We have lots of memories from this, so let's talk about it. But in the news. Number one song is new It's dark Horse by Katie Perry featuring Juicy J. I'm not gonna lie. This is my least favorite carre Katie Perry's on it.
Speaker 2: Ever Yeah, ever, Yeah, I kind of hate this song. I don't get it and I think it went diamond like. I think it might be her biggest song, right.
Speaker 1: I think we talked about this. Yeah, it's wow, absolutely insane. Wow.
Speaker 2: Number one movie is the Lego Movie. Did you see that?
Speaker 1: I want see it.
Speaker 2: I didn't see it either, but I've heard nothing but a great thing.
Speaker 1: Great. I love that For them and Glen News this week, on February twenty second, members of the cast performed at the Young Storytellers Foundation's Biggest Show. This was a foundation that Brad supported, and Brad would ask us to get involved with sometimes, so different groupings of us were involved in different years. This was held at the Willows Community School in Culver City, attended by Darren, Diana, Harry Dot, Ashley Becka, and Kurt Mega.
Speaker 2: And on February twenty fourth, the cast and crew celebrated the final day of filming the Landmark one hundredth episode, which is episode twelve, so it's coming.
Speaker 1: Up in a few I remember this day. We all did this like these collages of over the seasons and episodes, and they had this big cake and they had many slashies and it was just like a big to do, big to do.
Speaker 2: And Dana was there look at that. It was really that was like a very monumental day. But like you mentioned before, when you have these celebrations, you can only participate. You only get so much time to like enjoy the revel rates.
Speaker 1: That was about three minutes. See may it looked like we partied all day, but it was literally probably.
Speaker 2: They like put the Russis to take the photo, shakee back down of some of the higher ups and then get back to work.
Speaker 1: This was directed by Brad Beaker, of course, so I didn't see who I had directed it, but we watched the whole episode. I couldn't remember, and then I looked after him was like, of course it was bad. Beaker, bring back are our guy? Bring back the.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's just you can feel like the steady hands of Brad Baker, can't you like it? Like this is sh with confidence, you know exactly what the show is, and also still trying to like there were new things he was trying. There were a lot of like looking into the camera or looking right by the camera povs things in this episode that don't tell on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was great, it was really really great. I'm here for all of it.
Speaker 2: One of the co stars in this episode was the salesperson Nick Nordela, who I have known since like my sin I was like fifteen or something. Really the same manager I think back in the day. Yeah, up in Santa Clarita, and like he popped from the episode.
Speaker 3: I'm like, Nick, like what did you know that at the time? No, Oh, that's funny. We weren't super close, like we hadn't talked to years. And then he's like on the show, very.
Speaker 1: Funny, so funny, very very random. Uh. There's a lot of songs in this episode, a lot of really songs, really really good one, two, three, four, five, six, Okay, so it's seven. It's not your your classic five excellence. But this is quite good.
Speaker 2: So well, that's really good. I will say this. This is evenly paced and line up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Whenever I Call You Friend with Kenny Loggins and Stevie Nigs performed by Artie and Tina.
Speaker 2: Brave performed by Rachel and Santana.
Speaker 1: Love It My Lovin Never Gonna Get It performer already Tinah.
Speaker 2: Don't Ran on My Parade, the Santana version.
Speaker 1: Oh my Gosh, I Believe in a Thing called Love perform by Elliott and Kurt and Every Breath You Take performed by Rachel and Santana also Love that one, and break Away performer ay Tena already playing in the new direction. Wow wow, wow, wow wow, truly what a what a lineup? We're saying three songs in this episode?
Speaker 2: Kevin, Yeah, that doesn't happen. I pulled it.
Speaker 1: Darren, I don't. What's ever happened to me in the entirety of this.
Speaker 2: No, You and I were like, you know what we can do it?
Speaker 1: Darren?
Speaker 2: Does we give us three songs?
Speaker 1: Also funny that Darren's like, I feel like I just are in this episode. Blaine's like, I feel like things are just handed me to me and we're like, well it was.
Speaker 2: I will say the undercurrent of some truth in reality in this episode through multiple storylines is too good.
Speaker 1: Is very much there? So there's a lot of it, okay. So this episode aired after the fall hiatus. Starting with this episode, and Glee episodes moved back to Tuesdays at eight pm. What does that mean? Because I know the time slows meant things to you, Kevin that I didn't really fully understand.
Speaker 2: So when we first started, if I remember correctly, we started on Tuesdays at nine pm after American Idol, and then in season two we became the lead in show, We became the big show, so we moved up to eight pm. That's when Chord came on. Remember we couldn't say certain words now because we were an hour earlier. And then I believe we moved to Thursdays or some point, yes, and it didn't hit the same And so I think this is them trying to be like, the ratings are slipping, how do we get it back? Let's go back to Tuesday.
Speaker 1: Got it? Got it?
Speaker 2: The episode contains the show's six hundred musical number, which is Whenever I call you friends.
Speaker 1: Hooray. I'm proud of that, me too. This is the eighth time two duets are sung by the same people in the same episode. The others are thrown down home duets rumors. The first time Big Brother and Love Love Love. It was really nice to share that with you, Jenna, I know truly.
Speaker 2: This is the fourth time Rachel has sung two duets with the same person and the same episode. She's used to this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and she's like, I got this. I've sang five songs in an episode. Yeah. This is the third time Already has sung two duets but the same erson.
Speaker 2: The same episode.
Speaker 1: Wait, was it Puck you and Puk?
Speaker 2: I don't know, A, I don't know. Very strange, Okay. This is the second time two different pairs sing two duets in one episode, the first being Big Brother.
Speaker 1: That's funny. Tina Parker Baker of Glee's hairstyling department, the Head makes a cameo appearance as herself and sodas.
Speaker 2: Kelly Mitchell of the makeup department, looking at beautiful like right in the middle of the frame. I was like, Kelly is so gorgeous.
Speaker 1: I know, she's stunning. That like perfect complexion, the red hair like Whoever, this is sad news. This is the last appearance of Figgins in the fifth season. No devastating. What we need Morphiggins, I do, I know, but like in general, we've needed more Faggins. Agreed. When Rachel and Santana are fighting, Rachel mentions the number they did in the choir room after graduation, referring to so emotional, when in fact it was before graduation. This mistake was fixed in the Latin America dub of the show, where Rachel doesn't mention cratuation.
Speaker 2: At least somebody was on it. In Extraordinary Merry Christmas, Tina says that Artie's rewalk broke the next day. However, during the valedictorian speech, Artie says it broke an hour later. You know, close enough. I think that's basically the same thing in.
Speaker 1: Glee World, agreed, and Sue mentions the both Tina and already have perfect attendance. However, Tina was absent in season three's The Spanish Teacher, something that was even mentioned in On My Way. Well maybe we're talking about a different year of perfect attendance.
Speaker 2: Oh so you're saying lady should have had it, should have been given valedictorian because he didn't miss a day.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not saying that that's what I heard. Okay, great, well I'm here where you want to Okay, give me the the the some sum.
Speaker 2: The sum is Santana auditions and snags the role of Rachel's understudy and funny girl, causing a feud between the roommates. Meanwhile, back in Lima, Tina and Already compete against each other to be the class valedictorian.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, where do you want to start? Kevin Tree starves and Janna Rachel start child. Let's start child and Kurt Let's start trial and Kurt let's build up. I agree, Okay.
Speaker 2: This is also fun. I do enjoy like feud or like SmackDown. I like when they pit two people against each other. It works really really well in this show totally, always has worked totally and it works naturally, And I think maybe it's something to do with like high schoo dynamics, but it's something that always feels right agreed.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's because we started that way, but maybe there's this like really good conflict resolution that we is satisfying to us or I don't know, but I totally agree. I'm here for it, and it's not like it's kind of harmless in their in their situation with Starchild and Kurt, because Kurt is feeling threatened by Starchild, thinking that he wants to take over the for the band and he should be scared of Starchild because Starchild is a star.
Speaker 2: But Adam Lambird is like the most talented person on the base of the planet.
Speaker 1: It's actually insane. So Blaine's advice is to keep your friends closer, and he's closer, so Kurt decides to like keep him real close tight, which I always worry about. I'm like, why does this person want to get close to me? Do they hate me?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Sometimes I like question it first, not the whole time, but it's like an initial thought that I always have.
Speaker 2: I wonder if I should start considering that. Oh no, no, it's just me and my guard. What I really enjoyed was watching Chris Colfer play like the the their frenemy's story right, because I feel like each one has like a different lean and his is trying to be like super nice and cults him into like doing things together, and I kill him with kindness, but like not be obvious about it, and watching Chris do that was very satisfying. I could watch and do that all day.
Speaker 1: They also have a great on screen chemistry, like I love them together, and not in like a romantic way, just in like a very they they they're very different but yet similar in some ways, and it's very satisfying. I feel I could watch them all very long.
Speaker 2: Kurt doesn't have a lot of gay friendships on this show like male friendships, and it is really nice to see. And I think there's something too, or maybe he's not used to it right, like it's not romantic. Maybe somebody's not coming after you for some ulterior motive. Maybe like this guy's just nice and like supports you and has been supportive in every single episode. It's a very very beginning. And I really love how Adam Lambert's playing it because star Child the performer is like Sasha fears for Beyonce.
Speaker 1: Right then, and then Elliott Elliott.
Speaker 2: Is just like super nice, soft spoken. Actually how Adam sort of is in real life?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I didn't. I haven't like spent a ton of time about it, but he comes acrossberry grounded to me very and that's what Elliott is like a very sound person, and so Curtin Elliott starts to spend some time together and we get the joy of the most perfect song for the both of them. Honestly, it is like if there was a song that was written for the two of them, just saying it was I believe, I Think all Love.
Speaker 2: I remember sitting in the theater when they were showing this to us at lunch. I remember watching this episode so clearly, and when this came on, this was one of the best things about New York happening. Is like the sad part of it was like, yeah, we didn't get see everybody in work with everybody all the time. However, when a number like this comes along, or this whole episode for New York really yeah yeah, and you see like what your friends are doing and what the crew has done, Like it's you're like, we were cheering because it is so good, oh good. And also like seeing Chris with like the band, mean, like the guitar players and their voices sound so good together. They're so different, yes, and.
Speaker 1: Yet it's like both in their range and it's such a great song. And the cover is really good. I actually like this cover better than I like the original. Dare I say I.
Speaker 2: Support you?
Speaker 1: I mean I love the darkness.
Speaker 2: Okay, I love the darkness.
Speaker 1: I love this song, like, okay, I think I think said this song has worn on me a little bit, and I think that's why the original. So I feel like I'm refreshed by this version. Maybe that's what I mean.
Speaker 2: And you know, that's how I feel about a lot of the songs in this episode. Yeah, I don't know if I think they're better, but it is refreshing to hear because they're all very well known songs.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's right, that's right, and very good covers. So Elliott like knows what's the ruse, he knows what's up, and he's basically like, I get it, and I'm not going to take over your fee.
Speaker 2: Didn't it feel like a shock? I feel like yes. On Glee, everyone is sort of up to no good, Like everyone is really trying to like jockey for position. Elliott knows what Kris is doing from the beginning and is so confident and secure in himself that he doesn't care.
Speaker 1: That again is also refreshing. I love the storyline. I'm like, Okay, great, he's mature. It's great. It's so great. I love it. I love it, I love it.
Speaker 2: I also think the New York storylines in general, this episode. Yeah, you know, we started off by saying, this feels like an old Glee episode in all the best ways. And that doesn't mean just because it's a lot of the OG characters. I mean even in New York, who it's not in the Halls of McKinley, it still feels like old Glee. Yes, totally, even if it's not in the same setting. Totally, and this storyline is perfect for that. It's very focused. This is very focused. I think focused. I like that feeling of like there's it's there's just it's very clear when there's like a lot of jumblingly a lot of the time, and there's so many things to follow. This was the whole episode.
Speaker 1: We had a theme, and the three of them, you know, all the characters had this similar kind of front of me thing going on, and so it was just like easy to watch. You sit back, you just enjoy it. You're not like panicking the whole time like sometimes. But yeah, so so Rachel in Santana, Oh my god, this is such a good storyline. Rachel invites Santana to a photo shoot for New York magazine. Is the right New York New York magazine?
Speaker 2: I think so?
Speaker 1: Or the New Yorker. It's one of those. And and she's doing this photo shoot for front of Girl, and she's like, why don't you come get pampered? Ca Santana's feeling a little like she's kind of behind the curve of everybody in New York doing things and accomplishing things. And now she's known as the East to Stack girl. So is this is? I love their dynamic. I like the whole idea that, like Rachel's supporting her at first and bringing her along. I don't feel like it's like a oh because you're in the background thing. Like I feel like it was genuinely a friend thing and we get Brave, which I love that number. I love that number. I love Sarah obviously. I don't know what it is about this number. It's so satisfying? Is it the lines and the choreography too when they sound really good? But there's something about it that is also reminiscent of what we're going to get later in every breath you take. It's slightly similar. I don't think that was intentional, but I liked it.
Speaker 2: I love this number. I think it works on every single level. It's like it's also something we haven't seen. We've just do our six hundred number, and this is something we have not done yet. They still there's sharp lines, it's a different setting. Also, they both are playing their own story. It's also a fantasy within it that feels real and grounded. And also they still look beautiful and it's still campy.
Speaker 1: Like they sound good.
Speaker 2: They so good. And the dynamic of in front of the camera and behind the camera working with the storyline also is like super impactful. And I think like this is exactly where Glee hits it shride, where you're still giving visually and audibly like a really wonderful performance, but also the story is working within the song.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, it's driving.
Speaker 2: And this was again another one of those things in the screening were like what is So it's also I think as a viewer really satisfying this dynamic for two reasons. One, you know, like in the earlier seasons, when any members of the Glee Club would go up against Rachel because she always tried to like dominate the setting, it was always sort of like satisfying as a viewer right to be like humble her. She obviously is so super talented, but like this is an ensemble thing, right, And it's one of those moments again. And it's nice also to see Santana come from where she's come from to be the one who can match Rachel totally going toe to toe with her, and I feel like this episode there is no distinction because you are literally seeing Santana play in Rachel's like sandbox, yes, like doing Funny Girl, doing this number. And also they're both just so talented as actors and singers that and so beloved as characters, like they're both equally as beloved and known and attached to. And so you see two people that you're rooting for on each on a different level, Like I'm not I'm just rooting for them in general. Yeah, Like I don't know if one of you is right or wrong. I don't know how I feel about it, because you both have really good points totally and it feels like really real and you're both acting asses off, I.
Speaker 1: Know, and like. And then Rachel is obviously being told that they're going to cast an understudy for Funny girlers is like, I'm not going to miss a show and they're like, well, legally we have to so.
Speaker 2: True to have Yeah, yeah, yeah, I think so.
Speaker 1: In some levels of contracts there's there's requirements that you have to have an understudy, like Broadway, Yes, you have to have understudies.
Speaker 2: I have a question. Yeah, so this whole auditioning for an understudy thing looks very TV suspect we don't know how theater works.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a little like a little Chicago y right, Like we're auditioning on a stage and we're like we're there for the understudy role and like really, I mean it should be more generic in a regular room, and like it's I don't know, and like the bad singing, the whole thing. It feels a little bit campy, like.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't have singers in there who could not sing.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm director that badly? Yeah probably not. No, And yeah, I mean there's people who botch auditions who are good, and there are people who.
Speaker 3: Wait, can go on, like I mean like an intentional botch. Oh no no, no, no, no, okay, I mean like.
Speaker 1: A you're nervous and you're I'm familiar. Yeah, yeah, yeah, we all are. But like, yeah, in general, it's a little less. You know, on a big it feels like on a big like high stakes, big scale. And I don't know. I think you just auditioned and then they cast an understudy or somebody that they loved for the part that Rachel went up against or something like that. I don't know. And I don't think that they would have put brought the star and to cast their understand right if it was a chemistry read and they're casting the other guy, that's different, which was yeah, we did see exactly exactly, but yeah, you don't. You don't see that all that often unless they're part of the creative team. Santana comes in because she gets wind of it, and she comes in and she bursts in doing don't rant in my preay through.
Speaker 2: The aisle, like it's such a good reference.
Speaker 1: Now, to be fair, it's she's not funny, No Naya put her own spin on it. This is fully Naya. I don't think she was even trying to be funny girl. She was just trying to show what she can do, which she did. I love this version.
Speaker 2: It's so that version is so funny.
Speaker 1: It's ridiculous. It's ridiculous. It did the job though, because I was like, oh my god, this is so good. It's ridiculous, and she's so she sounds so good song in her own way, like Leah, obviously this is her song, right like this is when she was talking about how like when you know, when it's not Barbara's anymore, it's hers, it's kind of Leah now, So like I you know what I mean. But but I appreciate that Santana did her own version, not trying to fit into the mold. Also, that was the music people being like, let's just go.
Speaker 2: Damn, it's all right, like it is all of it. It's just all of it works. They like like Adam and Alex and the music people and the writers like all of it makes so much sense that Santiano would go in there and just like.
Speaker 1: The no, I wouldn't do that either, you know what I mean, She wouldn't try to be something that she's not.
Speaker 2: She would do the same song. I definitely, absolutely that absolutely would and be like I can do this's my version.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: All the storylines in this episode work so successfully, and it all seems organized and all seems like classic Gleat. Yeah, but I think the self referential stuff that we've always done is perfect in this episode because because I don't see how it was not intentional that they're going at it in this episode in such a specific way when there were like rumors out in the world that they didn't get along for sure, and you know, she would have loved that shit Like Naya and Leat were probably yeah, do this, because all those things were always blown out of proportion and.
Speaker 1: Not correct exactly.
Speaker 2: So like watching it was also like fan service in a way of like, oh, you think they hate each other, let's give.
Speaker 1: It to you. Just do it. Yeah, give the people what they want.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it works because they're also playing into it. It's like they're in on the gag of it all totally.
Speaker 1: It was. It was great. And then Santana gets the the understudy role.
Speaker 2: Well before we get to that, okay, because that scene where they come in and they have their like first run in post her auditioning and Santana's like, I'm going to move out. It's like, yeah, right, you should, and then she gets the call that she's that she's going to get it, and like Kurt witnessing this, the fallout from this preceding the next scene is genius. Genius genius, like I I want to talk to them to be like, do you remember how it felt to be shooting this? Because watching it feels electric all these it.
Speaker 1: Does it does. It's I think they all know each other so well too. M h. It's like when we do our stuff, if it's very easy, it's very easy to work together. It's very easy to know these characters and to know the chemistry and the energy you're going to get, and and it's just there's an ease to it. And so when the stakes are even higher, there's an ease that you get. But then also the steaks on top of it, and that's that's the magic. Well.
Speaker 2: And then they're also everyone's played these characters for so long that these scenes were written so well that they're playing on and using four seasons full of material to get to this point, right, So Naya and Chris and Leah obviously deeply understand their characters. Yes, And so when you're finally given something to use all of that history and it all comes out. Because this wouldn't have worked with newer characters, with us being out at newer characters, it could only be it could only work just deeply in the successfully with characters who have been together since day one.
Speaker 1: Yes, and also that slam whoa wow wow wow wow wow wow wow. It was all really good.
Speaker 2: So then there's the other scene. They come back and then they have this whole the argument or they're standing on opposite sides of the loft. Rachel tries to get Kurt to decide, and he's very much being Switzerland, like this is crazy, Like we're friends, we're friends, We're friends. Everybody just like, can we get a long We can't. And it was like the first time that Santana and I use the term win loosely because I don't really know if she ultimately if it's winning, but Santana fully stands her ground and Rachel concedes and is like I'll go then, yeah, yeah yeah. And it was so powerful because the magic of Lee and Leah playing Rachel. It's like deep understanding of like Rachel is probably deeply insecure. They all are to an extent, right, but Rachel's has like always been thinly veiled behind her bravado as a human being, right, And like the brilliance of watching her face when Saint Annah's like okay, yeah, fine go and now it hit her she called her bluff and watching them do this, I just couldn't get it, Like I may have to.
Speaker 1: Go watch this episode again. Red, Yeah, Yes, And Rachel says something. She's like, she only wins if I lose. I can't be around this negative energy anymore. This is my big break. She's poisoning it. That to me is like Rachel saying, like, we can't. It's kind of like, I see the pot. I see, I see both sides, like we talked about earlier, I see both sides. It's very it's very real. It's very real feeling that she's feeling. She's feeling jealous, she's feeling stepped on, she's feeling like this is her moment in Santana's is blowing it for her or taking it away from her in some way. And Rachel being the insecure, being so insecure about this, like she she can't see that there's room for everybody, and so she's choosing to let Santana poison this. She's not you know what I mean, give her gives her AMMO right, like the victim of it right, And she's giving her too much power, I think. But and Santana, I don't think is wrong for going in to get a role and get a job. But the way they play it out, in the dynamic in which they play it, and the honesty and the truth behind both of their truths is so real that you're like, I am here for this.
Speaker 2: Every breath you take was sort of oh God, like a not to be too serious about this, but like a revelation because never would I ever think to put that song there.
Speaker 1: Totally totally, but it is so good.
Speaker 2: Because it's also like funny, but they're playing it so serious that it.
Speaker 1: And the most the melody of it and the hook of it is so good that you're like, I'm so invested in this. Like it the feeling that that song gives you, even though it's like a little funny and a little weird, like and a weird choice, like something we wouldn't have thought of or predicted, it just is. It's actually brilliant. It's brilliant.
Speaker 2: I think they also made each other better.
Speaker 1: Oh totally, it's really good. It's really really good. Rachel moves out, she rooms up that photo. My heartbroke tuned.
Speaker 2: I mean, what a great I think this like single storyline has been like the most successful storyline in New York so far.
Speaker 1: Agreed. Agreed.
Speaker 2: It also felt Yeah, it matched. It matched everything like it matched their age, the things they've been through, their history, also paired with the people who are actually doing it like it all just was phenomenal.
Speaker 1: Well, Kevin, and then there's Tina and Artie, and Tina and Artie are their title valedictorian. Prior to that, we see them amicable, all besting, having lunch their Tuesday lunches together already is being supportive about, you know, being Tina being waitlisted for Brown. You cheer up, you break into song. It's our six hundredth number. It's one of my favorite numbers we've e were done together. I love doing this number with you. This is reminiscent of that scene we'll have later where we decide we're going to get married if we're not together with anybody by the time we're thirtieth Is this that episode? No, No, that's later, But it felt like that, and I think that was Brad Baker as well. That's fine. Yeah, this was so much fun. It was episode was the storyline was so great. I loved it. I was thrilled when I read it. It felt it also felt like after all the chaos that was happening. The storyline was focused. It was and Artie, it was you and me. We were running lines like all the time for all of this, and like it just felt comfortable. It felt like we were back in a place where it was like this is safe, this is so safe. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And again, like drawing on the history of like all of our scenes have that sort of like friendly intimacy from the very beginning, but also like they're a little quiet, They're really comfortable. It's like the safe space. And it was nice that we could sort of like full circle, bring that back a bit from the very beginning. I love this number. I really it was so much. I also like shouted to Brad Beeker that into the camera. Stuff was wild, I know, but also like you could tell we were having fun. Everybody. Yes, it was nice. It felt good. This beautiful arrangement, Like those backgrounds are stupid beautiful.
Speaker 1: I love this cover. I just love it. I can listen to it all the time. I really do sound great, better.
Speaker 2: Than the original.
Speaker 1: Oh whoa, you're also like throwing down some crazy.
Speaker 2: I think Luke and all those people really came up with a beautiful arrangement. And now I've gone back and I've listened to the original. I'm like, I missed these.
Speaker 1: And I also feel like this fits our voices very well. Yes, some of these songs are a little bit of a stretch, like I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, well this one is a bit of a stretch.
Speaker 1: For me, but but I mean totally like yes, our voices, Yes it does.
Speaker 2: And doing a seem of Jane, which like in the office, can't get enough.
Speaker 1: Also, her sitting behind us on that ball. Is that the second scene or the first scene? It's so funny. I remember doing that being like we're in Jane's oven.
Speaker 2: I also remember being every other scene I had had with her up to that point. You know, Artie is scared of her, right, it's Sue, but this was like we're almost graduating, we're used to her antics, and it was like the first time that we're both not we don't care what she says in terms of like intimidation.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, which was also really.
Speaker 2: Fun to like play against her in that way.
Speaker 1: Yes, And it's always just fun Jane. We have to do a speech for her an audience or her choice, and we're also competing for I guess a solid nationalist as well in this like it just adds that on top of it.
Speaker 2: Because what Blaine has given up his even though the whole last episode or the puppet episode was solely about.
Speaker 1: That and a solo, I can't and then it never plays out the way we talk about it anyway already and Teina are going to get into it. And that scene, those scenes in the hallway where you're rolling down the hall and I'm chasing you or I'm in front of you and I'm those were really fun. I have some photos from those where I'm sitting when when it's your coverage, I'm sitting with Andrew Mitchell, our a camera operator on the dolly that they're wheeling and moving while you're moving and doing these monologues, and I remember we had like big paragraphs. We're like, yes, we have line, a lot of lines. It moves really fast. We're also like moving down a hall and I remember be like, oh my god, this could go really badly. It didn't for some reason. We just we did it. We made it work. Yeah, But I remember like sitting on the dolly, like being rolled and talking to you at the same time behind the camera. I love these scenes.
Speaker 2: Those are so much fun.
Speaker 1: They were really fun to do.
Speaker 2: It's our characters always talk so quickly to one another.
Speaker 1: I think we speed each other up, maybe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then they expect that. So then you're doing those hallway scenes and they're like fast, you have to make it because the hallway is only so long. So screwed. It's all done by a certain time.
Speaker 1: I wrote a speech for you, right, we were really mean to each other.
Speaker 2: Well, you pushed me.
Speaker 1: Well, that we have to talk about. That was a bridge too far.
Speaker 2: I mean, all of it was like. The cattiness of like going back and forth was also so much fun because we never got to do that.
Speaker 1: No, it was I think the fall was a bridge too far. I don't think it was fully necessary. It was genuinely an accident from Tina. That's the way. I thought she would never push him like that.
Speaker 2: I fully played it like that, and I think that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can't. I mean, I don't know. Yeah, we got We are pretty catty there. I think everybody did in this episode, obviously like Rachel and Santina as well. But these spitches, these speeches are you call me McKinley's biggest bitch. It's funny, it's very funny.
Speaker 2: You know, nobody read us more than Suit did. When she was saying like, oh, he's probably just in the background saying like, yeah what Kitty said, it was like, ooh, what a read. Yeah, that is exactly what what we do. Oh, Kitty's right, that's what it is, Blaine, are you serious?
Speaker 1: But the oh yeah, so we do in Vogue, which was really fun too, also very strange looking into a camera see a song like that. I'm like, this is not quite whenever I call you friend in terms of my style and not what we're used to. But I thought it was fun. I thought it was really fun.
Speaker 2: To do you sounded great on it.
Speaker 1: It was fast. I remember shooting this really fast.
Speaker 2: Very fast. Yes, yeah, okay, like both of these numbers are pretty quick because they're sort of free form rock out, just you and me going at.
Speaker 1: It a bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, for sure, completely different ways. Yes, I forgot this number existed.
Speaker 1: Oh you did.
Speaker 2: I completely forgot that we did this, And as an in Vogue fan, I I was like, yes, okay, great, I get another in Vogue song.
Speaker 1: To do we do these speeches? Well, she pushes arready, and we do these speeches. Obviously we're going to nominate each other. It's redeeming, it's very sweet, it's very arty. Tina Yes seem to Rachel wouldn't be voting for each other, but Artie and Tina would end up getting there. I love these speeches. I was so emotional on that first part, and I remember being like, I'm never going to get through this speech and I knew it. Think it's because we knew graduation was coming. I was like, the end is yeah.
Speaker 2: He was finally hitting yes.
Speaker 1: And You're like, oh, I begged for this for a long time. I've wanted out, I've blacked out, I've raged, and here I am now like sad, Sad, it's over, Sad, It's coming to an end. Sad, We're getting to this point where we're talking about avaledictorian for graduation. But I thought it was so sweet. And also these lines are outrage I guess progressively just crazier. As he strains to push his wheelchair up that ram, the ghosts of fallen heroes followed close behind. Rosa Parks, Mohammeda Gandhi and Ardie Ingrams holds the torch Hi whole time, the Torch of Dignity, also calling you a bridge too far. That's where I got that from this episode. I was like, is it a push too far? Yes? Calling Arnie Abrams an American hero, it's.
Speaker 2: Exacting when I say that Tina took my broken body in her arms and taught me how to love. My favorite part that was, like, my favorite part of what I say is when I call you a patriot. I remember reading that.
Speaker 1: It was like, yes, yeah, I think we've read this together. You're reading this at the same time when when we first read it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and these are like the lines we'd practice these monologues because we would shoot them all as one for ourselves, and then they edited it together.
Speaker 1: When it went back and forth, yes, it it was so sweet, Dot crying and everybody just like, so the vote was split. She calls you make a wish, but the vote was split.
Speaker 2: Our plan backfired.
Speaker 1: Blaine gets it, and then this scene in the hallway when he's like, oh, it sounds like a humble rag, but honestly, sometimes I just feel like things get handed to me. We're like, really, it's so fun, honey. I think it's the funniest one. I just love it. He's playing it so well. We're like, really, no, it was very.
Speaker 2: Real because he would be like that in real life.
Speaker 1: Totally, totally, And but then we get to do he graciously is doing a trio with us.
Speaker 2: His royal highness has allowed us to grace the stage with him. Also, this whole thing about Tina getting waitlisted at Brown. Oh yeah, but like you keep talking about, like, oh, you need to give the speech she can get into Brown, or oh if we do break Breakaway, can we can submit it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Like is that how that works?
Speaker 1: No, a trio song is not going to get me into Brown.
Speaker 2: That's not going to do it. You know what, any school should let you in after that song?
Speaker 1: Because well, we get to do Breakaway, and oh I love doing this number. I love seeing this song. I love this Kevin like two of our favorites whenever I call you friend and Breakaway one episode. How do we get so lucky?
Speaker 2: I don't know. And honestly, everything about the process of Breakaway was a dreamy recording. It was just like wonderful, It felt good, It was so satisfying. These harmonies are so good. The arrangement was unbelievable, and I just felt like, Also, the three of us never do anything together like that.
Speaker 1: No, we don't. That's why it was. I think it was so fun. It was like it just it was so great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was easy.
Speaker 1: Damn there and sing god flats.
Speaker 2: Also, and then the editing with this seeing Rachel pack her bags being so emotional, and then that whole bit with her getting the picture, tearing it in half and walking out, all while the song is playing.
Speaker 1: Man boy, man, I am just I'm thrilled. I'm thrilled.
Speaker 2: No notes for this episode, no notes.
Speaker 1: I get I Oh man, I can watch this one again and again. I'm just so happy. Okay, let's grade these performances.
Speaker 2: I would love nothing more.
Speaker 1: Please whenever I call you friend A plus, Brave A plus plus, my lovin.
Speaker 2: A minus.
Speaker 1: Sure, okay, don't read in my parade A plus I believe in and think all up, Wait, don't rid my parade?
Speaker 2: Did you also giggle when Yeah? Some of those yeah, the options ups theres also the track with it.
Speaker 1: I can't, it's too much.
Speaker 2: I was giggling.
Speaker 1: I can't. I can't.
Speaker 2: Like they were out of their minds. That arrangement is so silly.
Speaker 1: You feel like it was like you had to do something like that in order to not try to be what Leah does with that number at all, because you just can't match that in any way, like it's it just feels like wrong. But loved it. Yeah, believe in a thing called love. Hey, Hey, every breath you take a hey half plus.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's a minus.
Speaker 1: No, it's not. Well, it's a positive, Kevin, it's positive, all right. It's a tea a sideways tetris tea okay, Breakaway a plus A plus Okay, that is a really solid average. No, it's an excellent average.
Speaker 2: That's excellent. I approve of all of this. I listened to Breakaway a lot.
Speaker 1: I do. I don't listen to it enough. But I'm going to go listen to Every Breath You Take and don't rain on my parade right now and Brave and when I call you.
Speaker 2: This episode needs to have its own little EP or its little playlist.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm just gonna make a little playlist on my Spotify for this.
Speaker 2: Brave is so good. I really enjoyed watching that.
Speaker 1: Really really good. Okay, let's do some tarty tap.
Speaker 2: This happened last time when Sarah we had a Sarah Breilla song, didn't it? Love song?
Speaker 1: Love song? You love love song? I think you like love song a little bit more than I did, but but it's very good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, Tarty.
Speaker 1: Takes cringe moments. I mean calling you make a wish was kind of yeah, kind of cringey.
Speaker 2: The racist woman at the diner calling Santana Mexican.
Speaker 1: That was it, that whole conversation, and like Leah and Rachel saying like I've you were just gonna, like, you know, go line behinds on her like you know, we we addressed it, but it was it was it was cringey. It was cringeing for sure. Best dance move, oh man.
Speaker 2: I mean there was not really a lot of choreo. I think Chris on a pole.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, he loves the pole. Let's just give him that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was waiting for that one.
Speaker 1: I don't know, Kevin, what are you going to say?
Speaker 2: Best saw? I'm going breakaway? Yeah okay, But honestly, there's not a wrong choice in this episode.
Speaker 1: It's so true. I mean I would say, you could leave out my lovin' yes, and I think that's the weakest, and you could leave out maybe every breath you take. But it's close. It's close. Yeah, okay, Bess very prop.
Speaker 2: Oh Leah's wig.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, there was a lot. The picture, the ripped up picture.
Speaker 2: Oh oh that was good.
Speaker 1: The umbrellas yeah yeah yeah good are lunchboxes? Oh yeah? Okay. Best line, oh man, is it a bridge too far to call lady as an American hero? I think not very good. Not the delivery, just like the line itself.
Speaker 2: You delivered it very well, Jenna, Well.
Speaker 1: Thank you. But also it's just it's really the line. But there was the one line that I was like, oh, this is the best.
Speaker 2: I would love for things to get physical. I will hit you so hard that you won't be able to wake up until you're old enough to be funny. Lady. That's a good joke.
Speaker 1: That's a good one. MVP. I don't know, I gotta say, Leah Nyah, yeah, I do too. It was it was seamless, true truly a seamless storyline and performances. I really I could watch it all.
Speaker 2: Day and I might. And also the writers, the music producers, everyone really just did it. This episode A yaker really like special, wow, wow, wow, smash it.
Speaker 1: There's a special episode.
Speaker 2: Okay, Jenna. Shit we found on TikTok this week. This was nine one one Yeah, This was nine one one, another Ryan Murphy show.
Speaker 1: My dad texted me about that. Really, he said, there's a show. He said, there's a Glee reference on nine one one, and some of your friends were in Doctor Octopus. Is that what the show is?
Speaker 2: Doctor Odyssey.
Speaker 1: I have too many children's songs in my head. Doctor Octopus, my doctor. My daughter calls my daughter, Emma calls octopuses apple juice. It's like apple juice, octapuse.
Speaker 2: Octopus is hard to say, it is.
Speaker 1: That's where my head's at. Sorry, yes, they're cord being in Doctor Odyesty. Okay, wait, but that is crazy because it's not just like a one off Glee reference like that is a full monologue.
Speaker 2: No, we got a full dramatic monologue reading somebody about gay rights and how there's pre Glee people who world in post Glee world, and to honor the people who came before the Glee world because Glee made it a little easier. It's not Ryan Murphy claiming he created gay rights the TV shows.
Speaker 1: It's great. I love it. I love it.
Speaker 2: Look we did. There was a lot of educating going on in Glee.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, People mad at Ryan Murphy for writing this, but really, forgot how much Glee genuinely did do for LGBTQ plus rights. Hate it or love it, you can't deny the Glee had a greater impact than we realize. You know, there's a lot of This is a teaching moment, Kevin.
Speaker 2: It is, and I like, you know, when we were out in public or still when people come up to us, we see the different demographics who watched Glee, and when it was on, you would have these people who you would never think would ever watch a show like this, and they either watch it with their girlfriends or their mom or whatever it is, and they're exposed to characters that they wouldn't normally ever be exposed to. And in that moment that those are teaching moments by seeing different people who are unlike themselves. So I love that they did that. Ryan Murphy self referential moment.
Speaker 1: Funny.
Speaker 2: You know what, when you build an empire TV empire, you can do that.
Speaker 1: You can do that because you're in control. That was fun of me as you guys, I'm so honored to go on that journey with you because I really enjoyed that. And I'm not being biased. I know I do that a lot with like Tina episodes. Sometimes I'm like, this is a great episode.
Speaker 2: Tina has great episodes. Those storylines are always in a really good episode.
Speaker 1: When they slap, they slap. This one was really great though, and so Steller's all around direction, music performances, like writing. It was across the board, really really good. Next week, you guys, is the Tria is trio and that is the makeout, and that is the makeoup. That's also Kevin. This is also hold on Wilson Phillips. There were that one with the curtains in a hole, the one Monday, Come yes, Kevin, you're in it okay. Also, though I had a lot, to be fair, this is a very Tina heavy episode as well, So my memories are very clear of this episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah you can tell. I mean, if you've been listening to this. If we're not in a lot, the memories out.
Speaker 1: The window tend to go out the window. Well, thanks for joining us, you guys. It's been fun.
Speaker 2: This has been great. I hope everyone had a great time. Happy New Year, Jenna, Happy new year. Great to see you.
Speaker 1: Happy new year.
Speaker 2: I hope this is a good year for everyone. See you next week. And that's what you really missed. Thanks for listening, and follow us on Instagram at and that's what you really miss pod. Make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. See you next time.