Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure they definitely can be, but understanding a professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to save, plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association Member FDIC.
Speaker 2: What technologies do you think people are kind of sleeping on right now that will potentially change the world in the next five to ten years.
Speaker 3: I don't know if they're sleeping on them, but I think people are hesitant with AI back to the first part of our conversation, like, I think people or hesitant because they're afraid of it replacing their work or what they're trying to build. And I think that mindset is going to end up doing that in fact, and if again if you instead see it as a foundation that we can stand on and that it's something that enables you to do even more with less and it gives you time back, then it's a tool like anything else. And I think that's I think that's the scary thing right now, and I think people are letting the fear keep them from experimenting with it and keep them from just trying it and having more of a closed mind. So I think it's really important with any new technology to try it for yourself. Don't trust what you read from others, don't trust other opinions on it, form your own opinion on your experience, and you have to dive into it and trust yourself to learn from that experience. It might be challenging, it might be frustrating, Well who cares. You're going to learn no matter what, and you could you'll build that learning into into something else that will be useful for yourself, for your business. There's a there's a mantra within the bitcoin certcles which is don't trust verify, And what that really means is like, let your experience be the guide of everything. Make your own decisions, form your own opinions, because you're going to get thousands of other ones from other people, but the one true one is what you what resonates with you after you experience it yourself, and these tools are available to you, and you know you'll be able to understand like if if they actually enable you, or how they diminish you in any way, and you can overcome them. It's a decision. Jack.
Speaker 2: You've been an advocate obviously for bigcoin, but you've talked around as to topic of decentralization, and over the past ten years we've seen more institutions come into the space more and more. I wonder, you know, a few years ago Web three was the big talk.
Speaker 1: What are your thoughts on.
Speaker 2: Decentralization now and how far away are we or how soon will we see it come to fruition from your early talks.
Speaker 3: Well, first, like with any of these technologies like Web three, AI, Bitcoin, like all these things that we're talking about, Web two, like whatever it was in the past, there's always going to be this like massive hype cycle, and it's going to be easy to get into that sect and into that hype without really understanding the fundamentals. So again this goes back to like touching ground and experiencing yourself, does this actually bring value to you? Or is someone trying to sell you something that's just repackaged but the same thing. And I saw a lot of Web three ultimately as repackaging of the same thing. And what I mean by that is like I saw a lot of vcs who were using it as a way to rebrand something that already existed or was still somewhat centralized and wasn't really solving the problem. And it was it was just frustrating. See, but I realized that with every technology, technology, every new technology that really comes up, always has a hype cycle. So it's really up to you all and to us to like understand, like again, does this actually give me time back? Does this actually add value to what I'm doing? Does it add value to my customers or not? And if it doesn't, it's okay to ignore it because it'll go away or it'll settle into something that does. I would say that the early Internet, for those of you who were on it, it was amazing. It was like you know, this wild wild West of like frontier of like everything was new and everything was decentralized. There was Usenet, there was IRC, there was go, there was a web, there were no centralizing forces, and then all of that disappeared in like five years because of a few companies building something that was convenient to people, which was like, how do I find things on the Internet? And you had Alta Vista and you had Deja News, and you had Google, and you had Facebook and you had Twitter. These centralized the discovery mechanism of the Internet, so you went to one place to find all this incredible content. But the problem was the content lived on the services as well, so you had the discovery and the creation and also the API all owned by one company, and that to me is wrong. It's wrong for the company because it puts a ton of pressure on them and it's wrong for the customer because the company actually owned your data and they owned your identity. And you've all experienced this if you're trying to move your data to another thing or you have to resign up or whatnot. That's not how things should exist. So now we find we finally have technology to enable data portability and moving your identity around with it without a company owning it. But it's not accessible right now, it's not well designed, but it's just work and it's an opportunity for some businesses as well for those of you who are still looking for some opportunities. It's a way to you know, it's something that needs to be figured out more so I'd say we're still pretty early with it, but at the same time, there's never been more energy around it. And the thing that worries me the most is the most centralized of these services that we become more dependent upon is AI. We have five or six companies that are building very centralized services that are you go to, you sign up to, you pay for, and the CEOs that these companies can change the intelligences, they can change the algorithms, they can literally decide based on a question you have, how it's going to answer. And you've seen this play out obviously in oppress. Thankfully we have open source models, and thankfully we have people who are pushing that more and more, and like we have again a third horse in the race, which is completely open and owned by the people. But we need to desire it, we need to want it, and we need to ultimately use it to not become dependent upon five companies or just one company for this really important technology, which is effectively intelligence. We've seen it with social media, We've seen it with intelligence, We've seen it with with a number of other things on the internet discovery. Now we need to make sure that, like all these things can be open source and they can be decentralized and and really usable by any business earners.
Speaker 1: What's up?
Speaker 2: You ever walk into a small business and everything just works like the checkout is fast, their seats are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds odds are they're using Square. We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one.
Speaker 1: Of our merch partners. Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. One of the things we love most is seeing neighborhood businesses level up.
Speaker 2: Business West Indian spired writing our community that started with a small takeout counter.
Speaker 1: Now with Square they've been able to expand into a full sit down restaurant and even started catering events across the city.
Speaker 2: That's the kind of growth that inspires us, and it's powered by Square.
Speaker 1: Square is built for all types of businesses, from the corner bagel shop that turned into a local chain, to the specialty market with thousands of unique items, to the stylist who's been holding you down for years.
Speaker 2: If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run and grow.
Speaker 1: It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most ready. To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate. Let's Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward