Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by all State. Some people just know they could save hundreds on car insurance by checking all State first, Like you know to check the date of the Big game first before you accidentally buy tickets on your twentieth wedding anniversary and have to spend the next twenty years of your marriage making up for it. Yeah, checking first is smart, So check all State first for a quote that could save you hundreds. You're in good hands with All States Savings. Very terms apply All State Fire and Casualty Insurance Company and Affiliates, Northbrook, Illinois.
Speaker 2: Welcome in. We'll drive with Nick Wright episode ton to do massive week in our household. I have some important family business to handle at the end of the show.
Speaker 3: Before we before we do the listener.
Speaker 2: Question, do that at the end of the show. But we got to get right into it today. Diora is here. She's my seventeen soon to be eighteen year old daughter. Some of her family business will be discussed at the end of the show as well as This is a wild week and a very important day in the right family household. But we had play in games last night. We have fourteen sixteenths of the playoff set.
Speaker 3: We're gonna play a confidence game.
Speaker 2: Today is an anniversary in the NBA as well as a personal anniversary. I'll get to that in a moment, But first, what did not make the show? Not on the show today? Sakwan Barkley doesn't sign his franchise tag. That's not surprising. I think he'll play, but I don't think he's gonna show up for a while. Jake Paul and Nate DZ boxing match booked. I it's not possible for me to be less interested in anything, Jacob, do you like Jake Paul. I used to be, you know, a Jake Paul.
Speaker 4: I used to watch the Team ten videos.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't know what that is. You know he's now a professional boxer.
Speaker 4: I'm not alm a professional, but I do know that he boxes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no, I mean he's but he is a professional boxer. He fights in professional fights. But then he got into it with my buddy Bimani. He seems like a jerk. I'm not a Jake Paul. Guy USC hiring Cliff Kingsbury and Bonus missed the show. Doora got me to finally take the TikTok plunge. So if you want to follow me there.
Speaker 4: What Let's also mention that you've had tiktoksince November. I'm just saying that you were going to do things on it and have not.
Speaker 2: I have not done anything on it, but I will start now. You can follow me on there at get Nick Wright funny moment? Do Youora? And I signed up for TikTok? Who She signed me up for TikTok in November on the way to.
Speaker 3: A NETS game.
Speaker 4: On the way back from it.
Speaker 2: On the way back from.
Speaker 3: A NETS game, thank you for that important clarification for the.
Speaker 2: Audience and the and I said, I was like, I'm not gonna really post my until I get verified, and Diora said.
Speaker 4: Wow, it took him a week.
Speaker 2: You're not going to get verified until you have this many videos and do this. And I was like, eh, I don't think so. She's like, I know how TikTok works since I was making and then you know within a few months that all happened all right. By the way, speaking of important anniversaries, today is the seven year anniversary of Kobe Bryant's final game in the NBA. We're going to get to the actual show in just a moment, But I didn't realize that game was today until I was scrolling Twitter and I saw the highlights from it. And when you go back and look at what Kobe did in that game, it is actually, I think underrated how crazy that was. He was having a really good game, but his team was. It was seventy five sixty six Jazz at the end of three quarters and Kobe again he had up to that point because he had I think thirty seven points, so it was really impressive, but it's like, Okay, they're gonna lose. He's gonna have somewhere in the forties. And then Kobe Bryant, in his final game ever, not only scored twenty three in the fourth to finish with sixty, but the way the game ended, it's ninety four eighty four Jazz with three minutes left, and then Kobe gets a layup, Kobe gets two free throws, Kobe gets a layup, Kobe hits a jumper, and they're down four with a minute left. Kobe hits a three, hits a jumper, hit some free throws, and they he gets sixty and they win. It was that was a sports movie scene, and I remember it vividly. I had just moved to Los Angeles. I was starting my job with Fox that week, and it it was unbelievable what we were seeing. It was also the night the Warriors got their seventy third win how that season and four with Lebron sending them home and Draymond crying. More on that later, But it was seven years ago today, and then a few years ago obviously we lost Kobe. But what an unbelievable moment.
Speaker 3: That does not feel like it was seven years ago.
Speaker 2: All right, Diorra, let's get to the actual show, starting with last night's playing.
Speaker 4: Okay, the play in tournament is almost wrapped up. In the early game, you had the Bulls versus the Raptors, headlining dir De Rozan's free throw defense.
Speaker 2: Okay, so so Dr, by the way, that's the first person I've never met another Diora. This is the closest I've come too. I've met I've met Diors, but I've never heard Dr met Diors. Yeah, you've never met someone named Dior. Yeah, like the Christian Dior, like that type of is the first name. But set that aside. If you didn't watch Demarta Rosen's daughter screamed every time the Raptors shot a free throw. Now we go to nets games and there's that old man, the mister Whammy, who does the tries to jinx the opposing team, and statistically it actually seems to have a tiny effect. This appeared to have a massive effect. The Raptors missed eighteen free throws of their thirty six, half of them. And so now before we get to the other game, the more interesting game, this is where I'm gonna give the controversial opinion. You guys can start the clock and throw the rundown up there because we're going, We're off and running.
Speaker 3: Uh, this is.
Speaker 2: Where I'm gonna give an unpopular take. The NBA's got to step in. You can't let this happen again. What do you mean you can't have little kids screen? Okay, so here's the thing again. I said it's gonna be unpopular. I'm going to use what's gonna sound like an odd analogy. The Philadelphia Eagles this year, en route to the Super Bowl, kind of hacked the quarterback sneak. They put the the Jalen Hurts their quarterback in the backfield. They then get two guys behind him and they all push him in a rugby scrum. The NFL had the opportunity to outlaw that this offseason, they didn't. They're like, ah, the Eagles are good at it. Other teams can catch up. Why outlaw. Here's why you outlawed, Because if any team gets good enough at that to where instead of getting two yards every time, they get four yards every time, the sport is ruined. You just run the most boring, aesthetically unpleasing play imaginable a rugby scrum all the way down the field. You obviously can't have that. That's obviously bad for business. So the NFL, in my opinion, should jump in one little girl at one playoff game, one time, screaming at every free throw. No problem, but it worked. If all of a sudden, now every NBA broadcast, every NBA game you go to, whenever the opposing team is shooting free throws, all the children in the crowd are screaming at the top of their lungs, that ain't good for business.
Speaker 4: That's a sports game, though, a sports.
Speaker 2: Game, I understand say, And.
Speaker 4: That's what happens at sports games. Like you can't just decide that like nah, the free speech is over, Like oh you can't know.
Speaker 2: You can't. It's it is entertainment enterprise, and it's bad for television.
Speaker 4: It's bad for the paying entertaining for the people that are at the game.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing I don't think it would be. I think it would be maddening.
Speaker 4: So like at high school games, like I know, it's like not even close to the same level. Yeah, but everyone screams on free things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's maddening.
Speaker 2: This is actually the example I'm using the high school people that students that.
Speaker 4: Are totally disgos.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what I said, It was gonna be an unpopular opinion. It is one of those unpopular opinions I have that I know is right. Today, everyone is going to be applauding Dearda Rosen, and they should. She helped her dad. She's adorable. It was a great job by her, I'm telling you. And I don't usually like the slippery slope argument, but if this turns into a trend.
Speaker 4: It already is a trend.
Speaker 2: But not again, I think you've got to like see the actual video from the game. It's not regular yelling or trying to distract the opponent. It is a shrill childlike scream I'm gonna use another child example that I was. It was an unpopular opinion involving children of NBA players, and I did it eight years ago and I was proven correct. So Steph Curry kind of started this trend. I'm gonna bring my adorable children. At the time, it was just child one kid, Riley to my press conferences. Everyone loved it. Steph was the face of the league. He was always winning. He had this amazing little girl sitting with him at press conferences. We all thought, or everyone seemed to think, this is great. And I had the brave, unpopular opinion, Yeah, you're at work, Probably not the time to have your little kid at the podium, Nick, Why do you think that? Well, after you win a championship, no problem. Even after you win a game and everyone's applauding you, no problem. But I saw the train coming down the tracks of guys who team had just lost or were embroiled in a slight controversy or had played poorly bringing their children to their press conferences and there being a chilling effect from the media on what questions are can I ask the guy about the game exactly? That's why they did it. Which is it was exactly using this as a shield. It is not fine. I can't now I actually did this as a gag once, but I can't. Uh. Nick doesn't like kids anywhere. I like, I love children, but I'm telling you I can't the day after. Let's say the Warriors were to win the title this year, and I look like a fool. I can't show up at first things first with Deanna on my lap, like, oh, guys, you can't make fun of me.
Speaker 3: My kids are here now.
Speaker 2: When the Chiefs lost the Super Bowl, I actually did start the TV show exactly like that as a gag, like I called it pulling the Steph Curry. Uh. But I'm just telling you, just guys, everyone right now is gonna say this is a terrible opinion. Let's just wait and see how the rest of these playoffs play out. And if all of a sudden you're watching a game, you're like, god, dog it, they won't stop screaming.
Speaker 3: Just remember who was first on it?
Speaker 2: All right, what's the other game that we the more interestant game we have to talk about? Go ahead?
Speaker 4: Okay, and Josh Gitty who I'm supposed to say, Timothy shallow May but he looks nothing like to Timothy shallow.
Speaker 2: See, I thought he did look like Timothy shallow May but that's fine. But go ahead anyways, Josh Gitty nearly a triple double was my life. Oh okay, I apologize. I didn't know if you knew where we were in the script. Go ahead. I know what's your question.
Speaker 4: Which of these teams has the best chance at making the playoffs?
Speaker 2: Oh? I think the Thunder. I think the Heater gonna beat the Bulls. I like the Thunders team. I mean, Shay was excellent, Shae's been all NBA caliber all year. Giddy's a good player. Now the neither None of these teams have a great chance in the eight versus one against Milwaukee or Denver. But I do think Oklahoma City could cause some problems for Denver that Minnesota couldn't. And I gotta give Oklahoma City credit. Everyone killed Sam Presty for tanking and all of it. Man, they made the playoffs a few years ago with Chris Paul. They are now, I mean in the bubble. They made the playoffs. They then had two two years in the wilderness, and now they are a game away from being back in the playoffs. They have all these future picks. They will have Chet, who I'm not a believer, but they will have Check coming back. And Shay is a legit top twelve player in the league now legit, and Giddy's really good.
Speaker 3: So I like you look at their team. They actually, oddly.
Speaker 2: Viewer, have two rookies named Jalen Williams. One is the same exact name, The good Jalen Williams is really good. Well, the other one's fine. But they have either It's like.
Speaker 4: How I have Steph Curry and the baby Curry.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, except those they're not except they have different names. These two guys have the exact same name. They believe the team name Stephan Seth. Yeah, but at least they play for different teams. And but you're right, there's one is awesome and the others just a fine player. But the good Jalen Williams, Jalen Williams would know why is gonna finish top three and Rookie of the Year. They have Check coming back. I like lou Dort. I like what they're building in OKAC. I would like to to see them beat the Timberwolves and see where they can go from there.
Speaker 4: All right, next, Okay, you, Lebron and the Lakers are officially in the playoffs after an ugly win. The Lakers are lucky Minnesota didn't have Gobert, and be honest, you can't be confidence in your Lakers championship pick after that game.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: So here's the thing that seems to be the general consensus.
Speaker 2: Oh man, Lakers look shaky, Lakers got lucky.
Speaker 3: Here's the counterpoint to that.
Speaker 2: What we saw that even though he did wear down significantly at the end, Lebron played forty five minutes at age thirty eight, year twenty and was the best player on his team. Now, the final five minutes he looked exhausted, but he's not gonna have to play forty five minutes maybe one more time. I'm the entire postseason. So I felt good about that. The Lakers' ability to get to the free throw line, which they did at a better rate than any team in the league all regular season, that translated to a playoff atmosphere. Felt good about that. The Lakers need oddly important guy for this playoff run is Ruey Hachimura, because he's their only backup big that I don't trust Winning Gabriel at all. Ruey hot chamurrow is playing crunch time for them, Liked that ad was super aggressive. Liked that so was it perfect? No, does Darvin Haham's playoff rotations concern me a bit? Sure, But now they get almost a week arrest, they get a Memphis team that I think they match up incredibly well with. For no other reason then because Steven Adams is out, because Brandon Clark is out. Memphis has won great defensive big Jaron Jackson Junior, but he fouls more per minute than any player in the league. The Lakers draw fouls more, so he will be in the same type of foul trouble Karl Anthony Towns is so I actually it was not like an overwhelming twenty five point victory, but the fact that they came back from fifteen down. Lebron was able to play forty five minutes and still again in overtime. He was worn out, but at forty minutes he made the three to tie the game with two minutes left, made the play that should have been to win the game, hitting Shrewder in the corner.
Speaker 3: I actually feel good about where they are.
Speaker 2: Had they lost that game and had to play again Friday and then start the playoffs Sunday in Denver. It's a different story. Now. With all that said, I would expect them to lose Sunday A. Memphis is totally rested, and Lebron treats game ones of playoff series is what he calls feel out games. See what the events is going to try to do, not totally exert his himself. Now.
Speaker 3: If they do win, however, on Sunday against.
Speaker 2: The Grizzlies, the series is over. Here's an unbelievable stat for you. Lebron James has played thirty nine no He's won thirty nine series in his career. He's thirty nine and eleven in playoff series. When they lose game one, he's twelve and nine. So he has a winning record in the playoffs when losing game one. When his team wins game one, they are twenty seven and two, almost unbeatable. The two losses, by the way, are probably the two worst series of Lebron's career. His final series with the Cavs the first time around against the Celtics where people said Game five he quit, and the finals against the MAVs, which was the worst series of his career where he seemed to have some type of mint short circuit. Those are the only two series of his career where his team won Game one and they didn't and they didn't win the series. So Memphis has to win Game one. I don't feel the Lakers have to to three point line. Memphis probably should win that game. I like the Lakers chances in that series.
Speaker 4: All right, next, Okay, you asked us to remind you to do a Lebron best case worst case debate today? Yeah, even though, like I'm sure you wouldn't have forgot to talk about Lebron on this show. But now that the goat has escaped, the play in what are his best and worst case scenarios postseason?
Speaker 2: Okay, so you're fine. So here's why I wanted to do it, because we are so illogical when it comes to certain sports things, most notably when it comes a lot of it has to do with Lebron, but it has to do with what we reward and what we penalize. So does everyone agree rhetorical question that the best case for Lebron is to win the championship? Of course, what is the second best case? If you don't win the title? What is the best thing you can do? Other than win the title. You're not a diehard sportsman. What do you think the answer would be? If you don't win the championship, what's the next best thing you could do? Go ahead, just give it a guess. You don't even want to give it against no problem, I mean, just go ahead. They don't want to do it.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing, it's obvious.
Speaker 2: The answer is make it to the championship and then fall short.
Speaker 3: That would be the second best.
Speaker 2: The third best would be make it to the conference finals and fall short. Like, win as much as you can is and win it at all is the best, when the second most is second best, so and so forth. But that's not how we do the basketball discussion. The basketball discussion that we constantly have when it comes to Lebron is losing record in the finals, four and six in the finals, and for many people they believe somehow it would be better if Lebron were four and zero in the finals. Why well, Jordan was six and oh in the finals, and so because for some reason we have changed the math on stuff that if you're not going to win the championship, you are better off losing early than losing late. You are better off being eliminated in round one or two or three, than winning those rounds and then being eliminated in the finals. And that's all in service of Michael Jordan. Michael Jordan played fifteen seasons in the league. Six of those he won the championship, two of those he lost in the conference finals. Two of those he lost, I'm sorry, three of those he lost in round two, three of those he lost in round one. Two of those he didn't even make the playoffs. But folks somehow have convinced themselves that it was good for Jordan to lose to the Pistons in the conference finals rather than beat the Pistons and then lose to the Lakers in the NBA finals, that it was good for Jordan to lose to the Magic in round two rather than beat the Magic and then lose to the Rockets in the NBA Finals, which then means, you know what was bad for Lebron in two thousand and seven, scoring forty eight points and carrying the the Cavs, one of the worst teams ever make the championship past the Detroit Pistons, because if he had lost that game, he wouldn't be four and six in the finals. He'd be four and five in the finals, and you know what was bad because they wouldn't have made the finals. You know what was bad for Lebron when he scored eighty points in consecutive games in twenty eighteen with no Kyrie with Kevin Love hurt, including a Game seven on the road where he's played all forty eight minutes to come back from three to two down against the Celtics. That was bad for his legacy because if he had just lost one of those games, he wouldn't have then played the twenty eighteen Warriors in the NBA finals and he'd have won fewer finals. Law. So if you are a four and six in the finals, Dufus, then you've got to say it is better for Lebron to lose in round one to the Grizzlies, then beat the Grizzlies, and then beat the Warriors of the Kings, and then beat the Suns and then lose to Giannis in the finals because they ain't be four and seven. It's idiotic on its face, but people truly believe it. And the reason they believe it is because folks don't want to have this discussion career. Round one of the playoffs Lebron is fourteen and one Michael Jordan career Round one. I'll give it to you right now. I had it earlier, and I I don't want to be wrong on this because I'm so strident. Lebron fourteen to one in round one. Jordan ten and three. Career Round two of the playoffs Lebron eleven and three, Jordan eight and two career Conference finals record the round you gotta play to make the championship Lebron in Conference finals ten and one. It should be noted the one conference finals he ever lost, he had a buzzer beater to win one of their games, and he averaged for the series thirty eight points, nine rebounds, nine assists, and they lost to Dwight Howard and the Magic in twenty ten. But in the conference finals ten and one, Jordan six and two, it would be real easy. It would have been easier for Lebron to just we can go through it in seven, lose in the conference finals, play worse and not make those finals and twenty eleven, lose in the second round of Boston. In twenty fourteen, lose in who would they have had to lose to in twenty fourteen, lose to Toronto in the conference finals in twenty sixteen, twenty fifteen, pardon me, lose to the sixty win Hawks. In twenty eighteen, lose to the or twenty seventeen. Pardon me lose to the twenty seventeen would have been sorry, I'm sure. Oh do you you just lost your earpiece? We'll get that in a second. Lose to the Celtics in twenty eighteen, lose all those and before and oh in the NBA Finals, lose. So the reason I wanted to bring this up was if you believe that FO and O in the finals would be better than four and six in the finals, A, I don't think you understand any basic elementary level logic test. And B you've got to say to yourself, if let's say the Lakers beat the Grizzlies and then winning Round two, and then they're playing they have a Game seven against Kevin Durant in the Western Commorgz Finals, and on the other side of the bracket is the Milwaukee Bucks and Giannis looks unstoppable. That there is a scenario where what you are arguing is for Lebron's legacy, he would be better off losing a game seven Western COMMERDG Finals than winning it if that then prevents him from getting another finals loss. A loss should never be rewarded more than a victory. You want to argue six and oh in the finals is more impressive than four and six in the finals, or listen to it. It makes a lot of sense. But you want to argue four and oh in the finals would be better than four and six in the finals. You're a dope? All right, do you? Or? What's our last topic?
Speaker 4: Okay? The four or five matchup in the in the West is juicy, even if Russ says him and Katie don't have beef. Both Kawhi and Katie once had a claim as the best player in basketball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know the Kai either one of them actually ever have had that claim. K closer than Kawi guy was the best player for one playoff series, the wy thing. I was proven correct on the kd thing. Maybe he had a claim. I I disagree with it, but go ahead.
Speaker 4: Could either of them get back to the level that level to that level by taking the other out?
Speaker 2: No? You, neither one of them can become the best player in basketball by winning this first round series, Kevin Durant, I believe can the title of best player in basketball. If round one, well, Lebron's not the best player anymore. Lebron's best player ever. But right now the best player in basketball is Jianna's the I mean, Lebron's in your twenties older. He's still a top ten guy, but he's not that. Giannis has been the best player in basketball in my opinion, for the last four years, three years at least. If Durant does this, beat Kawhi and the Clippers, then beach Jokichen round two, then beats in round three either Lebron's team or STEP's team, and then in the NBA Finals beats Giannis, he can claim it. I think it would have been two years without Giannis winning a title, three years without Giannis winning an MVP. Durant played him to a draw that series we went to against the Nets a couple of years ago. You saw in person the greatest game Kevin Durant's ever played in his life. Yeah, Game five, twenty twenty one, Playoffs eight, seventeen and ten out of this world. Uh. If he does that.
Speaker 3: I think Durant can claim it. Brussard disagreed with me on this.
Speaker 2: He said it's gian and I think it's Giannis right now without a doubt. But if Durant does all that, after the season he's had of shooting fifty five percent from the field from three to ninety percent from the line, they haven't lost yet with the Suns. If he does that, I can claim best player a lot. Okay, all right, we talk best playoff storylines and we play a confidence game.
Speaker 3: But first yours got a blow her nose?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you do all that. Next, What's right?
Speaker 5: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Robles, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg. Evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable feature an all star ensemble cast including Jarrel Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, dun Cheatle, Michael Panya, and Bobby Knavalli. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome back in What's Right? With Nick? Right? I forgot to brush my hair today, so I'm just gonna keep doing this. I have not yet figured out how to comb my own hair. It's really a disaster, yea from having a shaved head my whole life. I still know how to do my hair.
Speaker 4: That hair for a few years now, I.
Speaker 3: Know, and I've never learned. I haven't figured it out last.
Speaker 2: You know, your mom kind of wants me to go back to the shaved head.
Speaker 4: I refuse to.
Speaker 2: Anti Yeah, door, which kind of you know, transitive property. What you're saying here is you think I look good like this.
Speaker 4: I think you look better like this, better better.
Speaker 2: Like this than the shaved head.
Speaker 3: Well, it's a pain in the assid I don't love it.
Speaker 2: Uh. By the way your questions and comments in the Sea block also is a very important week for the right family.
Speaker 4: How many times you will say that it's.
Speaker 2: Called a tease, it's it's it's to create sticky listening and viewing habits, sticky Yeah, people stick around. Yeah, that's you'll learn this, you know what I mean as you get further into the business. It's to get make sure people stick around through the show. Like right now, they might be like, gosh, I'm gonna tune it out because you won't stop sniffling in the microphone.
Speaker 4: I'm really sorry. My allergies are so bad.
Speaker 2: It's so frustrating, but I don't want to miss Nick's big announcement, So like, that's why I'm doing it. We're also playing a game in about three minutes, but before that, we got some storylines to discuss.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, do you wor Okay?
Speaker 4: So there's been a lot of great storylines coming into these playoffs. Besides Lebron YEP, you have Donovan Mitchell versus the Knicks. You have John Marat Marant redemption arc and Luca facing facing off against his couch.
Speaker 3: Okay, that was unnecessary, but that's.
Speaker 4: The most tantalizing story in round one.
Speaker 3: So for the playoffs as a whole, there's so many.
Speaker 2: You know, Lebron chasing Ring five in year twenty, steph chasing Ring five to pass lebron Ty, Kobe the Durant getting his only non Warriors, ring Jokids trying to validate his MVPs, and all the analytics hype, the John Muran Redempson stuff you mentioned, that's those are big picture. In the East, can embiid Who's never been to Round three, but is going to win the MVP, make round four, win a title. The Sixers franchise has only been to one conference finals or NBA Finals since Doctor J was there. Can Yannis win the title this year? Show? Last year was about Middleton's injury and really solidify himself as one of the twelve thirteen greatest players ever. The Celtics and they finally get over the hump. Those are the big picture storylines round one. In the East, there really is only one, and that is Donovan Mitchell could have signed with the Knicks. People thought he was gonna sign with the Knicks or trade. The Knicks were gonna trade for him. I should say they didn't want to give up R J. Barrett and other stuff. He ends up signing with the Calves. The Calves end up a trading for him, and now you have the situation where the Calves are playing the Knicks in round one. That's really the other The Eastern Playoffs is gonna be unbelievable starting in round two Round one. That's the only series that to me's really interesting. Out West, totally different story. Grizzlies Lakers storyline there, to be honest, involves my colleague Shannon Sharp, MI guy. Shannon almost got into it with the Grizzlies in a regular season game.
Speaker 3: Now he's gonna be court side.
Speaker 2: I would imagine wearing beautiful LOUISVI Tom sweaters and other things, mixing it up with the Grizzlies. Dylan Brooks said he wants Lebron in Round one. John Moran said, we're good in the West, meaning like nobody in the West scares us. That's an unbelievable storyline, Katie and Kawhi. The Clippers could have ducked the Suns, they in my opinion, idiotically opted into playing the Suns. Okay, good luck, But it also means Russ against Kevin Durant, So that's a fun one. But the best storyline in Round one is the Sacramento Kings and the Golden State Warriors, two franchises, both of which for thirty some years seemed to just be snake bitten bad franchises. They both had moments the Kings with and C web and Bibby and got screwed. Yeah, a lot of devots Chris Webber and Mike Bibbie in the early two thousands going up against the Lakers getting screwed by the refs in that game six. Page them airballs the three in game seven, and they missed their moment. The Warriors, Baron Davis, we believe Warriors in eight beats a one, but that was it. They were not serious franchises. And then the Warriors drafted Steph Curry turn into a dynasty and the Kings stay the Kings. And now the Kings are in the playoffs for the first time in sixteen years. The Warriors are trying to make their sixth finals in nine years, trying to win the title for the fifth time. I'm sorry, the Warriors are trying to make their seventh finals in nine years and trying to win the title for the fifth time. The Warriors are the favorites, even though the Kings are the home team. The Warriors are the favorites, even though they've been terrible on the road all year. I think that is to me, the must watch series of Round one Warriors Kings. I've got the Kings and seven, I've got the home team winning every single game of that series.
Speaker 3: All right, next you we're playing the confidence game. Explain it to the audience.
Speaker 4: So we have a new game for you and the audience to play along with. It's called out Picknick. Yeah, you will rank the sixteen teams in order of how confident you are in them. For every team they.
Speaker 2: Win, every game they win.
Speaker 4: Every game they win, they get that amount of points.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So every game your number sixteen wins, you get sixteen points.
Speaker 2: So the number sixteen is the team I'm most confident in. Number one is the team I'm least confident in, and we go from there. Correct. Yeah, all right, So we are going to for the purpose of this just call because we don't yet know who the eight seeds are. So it's gonna it's thunder slash Timberwolves and Heat slash Bulls. But it won't.
Speaker 3: Change my opinion. We're gonna go least to greatest here.
Speaker 2: Okay. The team that I think is most likely to win zero games in these playoffs is the Atlanta Hawks. Sorry, Atlanta. I think as a bad matchup for you against Boston. I think Boston should sweep you. Maybe you get one game. We are slating you in to the one spot. The number two team is whoever wins the Heat Bulls play in game. We are going to slate you in the East eight seed.
Speaker 3: Maybe you get one game. I think the Heat.
Speaker 2: The thing is this, I think the Heat could a game, maybe even two. I think the Bulls could not. We don't know who it's gonna be, so we're gonna put them there. The number three team that I'm gonna throw in there, I gotta think on this one for a moment, is going to be the Brooklyn Nets.
Speaker 3: I think the Nets.
Speaker 2: I think that's a team, but I know, I'm sorry. I think that's a five game series. They're playing the Sixers. I think it's sixers and five. So we're putting the Nets there.
Speaker 3: The number four team is gonna be.
Speaker 2: This is tough.
Speaker 4: So hearing the Knicks above the nets.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll get to the just not behind, not much above. But it has to do with who you're playing. So here's the tricky part of this, because there is like, let me give you an example. I think the Clippers the Suns are just a horrific matchup for the Clippers. I think the Clippers are gonna lose in five. However, if the Suns were to get hurt or something weird happens, if the Clippers somehow were to get past the Suns, they could go on a real run because that Paul.
Speaker 3: George could be back by then.
Speaker 2: So I think they're only gonna win one game, but they also they have a chance of going on a real run that the Western Conference eight seed does not, even if I think the Western Armends eighth seed might be able to take two games off of Denver. So that's where the strategy comes into this game. With that said, we're gonna go ahead and throw the Western Conference eight seed as our number four, as the team I'm next least most confident. Now we've got to think for a moment. I'm gonna put the Clippers at five because I think they lose four to one. I'm gonna put the Knicks at six. I think they lose either four to one or four to two. Now, it's really tricky because all the other teams left are good teams, and this is where I'm either gonna win or lose. The competition is am I right on? Warriors Grizzlies. I'm sorry Warriors, Kings and Lakers Grizzlies. I'm going to put the Grizzlies at seven because I think they are only going to win two games in this series. I am going to put the Warriors at eight, because I think they are only going to win three games and then be eliminated. Now, we really have to be strategical this because I think, for example, Kings Lakers is going to be a long series. But I also recognize there is a chance the Kings get bounced by the Warriors. I don't think it will happen, but that they get bounced by the Warriors. So I don't want to have them too high. So I'm gonna put the Kings at nine. I am going to put the Calves at eight. I'm sorry, at ten. Pardon me. We're doing this. You know, the more the higher the number, the more confident I am in the team. I don't think the Calves match up well with Milwaukee, but I do expect them to get past the Knicks. I am going to put the Denver Nuggets at eleven and the Boston Celtics at twelve. I think Denver loses to Phoenix in six. I think the Celtic lose to the Sixers in seven of home game seven loss for Boston. So my final four is Milwaukee, Philly, Phoenix, and the Lakers. I'm going to put the Phoenix Suns at number thirteen. I am going to put the Milwaukee Bucks at number fourteen. My finals is Lakers Sixers. I have the Lakers winning it, so I will put the Philadelphia seventy six ers at number fifteen and the Lakers at number sixteen.
Speaker 3: So there it is.
Speaker 2: There are my sixteen to one most to least confident. It goes Lakers, Sixers, Bucks, Sun, Celtics, Nuggets, Calves, Kings, Warriors, Grizzlies, Nicks, Clippers, whoever comes out of the West for the eight seed, the Nets, whoever comes out of the East for the eight seed, and then the Atlanta Hawks. Sorry Trey Young in company, but congrats on beating the heat. There is the confidence game. We answer listener questions and I have my important family announcement. That's all next. What's right? All right? Welcome back in What's Right with Nick? Right? All right? So before we get to your questions and comments, this is a crazy week in our our household. Do you mind? Can I say what you're We don't have to say where if you don't want. But the big event in your life from two days ago shame So Doora officially committed to a college on Tuesday, So that was Tuesday night. She does the podcast with me and commits to college, still waiting to hear back from one. Can we say the one you're waiting to hear back from, or no, she's waiting to hear back from UC Berkeley. She gets into UC Berkeley, I think that's where she's gonna go. But in the meantime, she's been accepted to another school in California that she likes a lot, that she is enrolled for. If anyone listening, by the way, is in charge of the you know, UC Berkeley, you know admissions process, do you are rights? One hell of a candidate sent a great audition real I thought the personal essay was touching and wonderful, But that's neither here nor there.
Speaker 3: Uh So that was Tuesday, tomorrow.
Speaker 4: What about today?
Speaker 2: Wait a moment, please tomorrow? Demands moves to La Gone, got the apartment, is figuring out how he's going to buy a car there.
Speaker 3: So last night we had a big family dinner.
Speaker 2: We did a thing that we used to do a lot in our household, and then we kind of hadn't done it in a while, and your mom said we should bring it back, which is we go around as a group and we all say a one year goal, a five year goal, and a ten year goal for ourselves. And what then we also add like a tangible item a present, something that if we reach our one year goal a year from now, I then buy for the person.
Speaker 4: I give the car. Guys, I just thought, yeah, Doora really shot for the moon there, uh.
Speaker 2: Diora said, my one year goal is to quote be doing well in college, and my one year present is a car, so you know.
Speaker 4: Well, guys, let's also point out though that, huh. I wasn't gonna get a car freshman year anyway. We said like I could get a car sophomore year, so it was kind of already in the cards. So I don't want everyone to think I'm just some like spoiled brat.
Speaker 2: No, it's no. And listen, you're gonna look amazing driving around California in a oh four Civic.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be great.
Speaker 4: I don't care what car it is.
Speaker 2: No, I know you. Uh. And so we all did that yesterday and then today as it happened, And this is the part that I need you guys to go ahead and send to me please. Today as it happens is my ten year anniversary, and this morning I was going through thousands of old pictures to try to do what is like obligatory at this point a social media post of me and my wife over the years.
Speaker 4: If he doesn't count it.
Speaker 2: Right, it's like a big thing, and like people get offiniti if you don't do it. But I'm terrible at picking pictures and I'm oddly bad at writing captions.
Speaker 3: So instead I want to do this.
Speaker 2: Here it and I've told this story before, so I will tell it quickly, and I'm sure my wife is sick of hearing it to it. Agree, But it cannot be overstated how much meeting Danielle and getting together with Danielle changed the course of my life. I was kind of a disaster. Like talented, hard working, good at my job. Everything else in my life was a disaster. And getting with my wife is what straightened me out, is what gave me purpose. And you then add to that the bonus of And this is just an objective opinion. This isn't you know through a husband's eyes, she's gotta be one of the single most beautiful people in the entire world, and her unwavering faith in me. I don't have the Fox job if not for the fact that I got a phone call eight years ago when we were on vacation and Sacramento, saying, the new president of FS one has agreed to meet with you if you'll come there on your own dime for one fifteen minute meeting. And the meeting was about me potentially getting a job with Fox Sports Radio. And the only reason I was meeting with the head of FS one was because, uh, Fox.
Speaker 3: Sports Radio and FS one working there. There's about a radio job.
Speaker 2: And I was on vacation with Danielle and I was like, ah, She's like, so what's going on. I'm like, well, my agent just said the new president, Jamie Horowitz, would meet with me, but I got to get there on my own. He said the meeting would not be a minute longer than fifteen minutes. I don't even know if it's worth it. She said, what are you talking about. He'll love you, You'll kill it. Let's go tomorrow. We can drive down. And that's what's set my entire career on this course. The first time I auditioned for FS one, I called her after because it was on TV. And I'll ever forget it my whole life. I'll never forget it. She said, you're built for this shit, baby, and has always believed in me and always supported me. And I can be a handful and a lot to deal with. Yeah, And she has been simply the greatest partner imaginable and she's the greatest vacation partner. She is the greatest mom. That was one of the cool one of the best things. One of the reasons I so quickly was sure she was the person I wanted to marry was because usually, you know, obviously you and your brother were around when your mom and.
Speaker 3: I got together fifteen years ago.
Speaker 2: Usually when you fall in love with someone, there is still kind of the question of like, ah, will they be a good mom. But I already knew it. I had seen it firsthand. And she's just the most remarkable woman I've ever met. And the fact that we do this podcast from her boutique that she built from the ground up that is now just a diamond in this community, and she is a Harlem superstar. It's wonderful. And in a lot of places she is not Nick Wright's wife. I am Danielle or Bird's husband. And it's great. And I love you so much, baby, and happy anniversary. And this is my Instagram post. Oh how sweet, thank you scoot. All right, let's read the DIORA. All right, let's read some fan questions. Uh. Ziko Ramos says, question for DIORA on a scale from one to ten, how athletic is Nick?
Speaker 4: Hey give him a four?
Speaker 2: Okay? But what about in my prime? What about in my heyday?
Speaker 4: How would I know about that at all?
Speaker 2: I mean, you've heard stories from only you, no, no great basketball player to a four? Yeah, I think that's unfair, but whatever I knew. I'm surprised you didn't give me a one. Next, Nick, if Lebron and Pat Mahomes both of my I'm not reading that super question. Sorry? Uh he said, if Lebron and Mahomes both invited me to a party, which one would I go to?
Speaker 4: The ASO said, love to show it. A big fan of all your work. You you didn't want to include that to be nice.
Speaker 2: I know it was being nice. I shouldn't have said that was dumb question. I just feel like that's a little I don't know, I don't know the answer. I should have read the question before I actually thought about the question. But I appreciate the question.
Speaker 4: Uh question, Hey, did you answer the question.
Speaker 3: I guess the answer is Lebron.
Speaker 2: N No, because I I've.
Speaker 3: Had drinks and partied with Mahomes after the Super Bowl.
Speaker 4: Wouldn't claim that. Guys, this is not.
Speaker 2: True and I've never I I guess I had a drink with Lebron once a few years ago, but.
Speaker 3: I've never liked Does he remember that?
Speaker 2: You know what? I guess you'd have to ask him. But uh, I think the answer there's Lebron. Uh. Jaegunter says, question for Deora, what is the dream acting role for you? Oh?
Speaker 4: I've answered this before on the show.
Speaker 2: Well what is it?
Speaker 4: I said? I said marine from.
Speaker 2: Rent Oh, yeah you did, You're right. I forgot about that, my bad. Uh Nick, what's the ceiling for this Brooklyn Nets team? I think they're a sleeper? No, I disagree. I think that they listen. They have they have been fine post trade, They've treaded water, but they're The ceiling is Game six against the Sixers. They need a little more talent. Mikhale Bridges has been one hell of it. He's been excellent for them. I got to give him credit, but that's their ceiling. Renton repeats said Diora, Who are your favorite actors and act actresses.
Speaker 4: That's a really good question. I really like Jenna Ortega, I really like Leonardo DiCaprio.
Speaker 2: Who's Jenna Ortego? What do I know her from?
Speaker 4: Uh? She played Wednesday?
Speaker 2: Oh okay, yeah, Oh, I didn't know Wednesday. She's Hispanic. Yeah, I didn't know that. I didn't know the girl who played Wednesday was Hispanic. Okay, go ahead.
Speaker 4: Uh. I can't think of anyone else right now.
Speaker 3: Okay, So Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Ortega.
Speaker 2: Uh, Christopher Jenna Ortica. Sorry, Christopher Rodriguez, says Nick. What does a Philly early loss in the playoffs stupid the legacy even beade Harden and Doc rivers an early loss. Well, a round one loss is a disaster for all. A tough Round two loss to Boston it doesn't really move their legacies. But that's a problem for him because Harden's playoff legacy is disastrous. Docs playoff legacy post Celtics is not great at all. It's quite bad, and Embiid's about to become the first MVP in league history to have never made Round three unless they make Round three this year, so their legacy won't go backwards if they lose in round two, But all of those guys need it to go forwards.
Speaker 3: Coach Mystique, says Nick.
Speaker 2: With b I coming into his own and the Pelicans seemingly having a solid corps, is there any chance New Orleans shop Zion this offseason? Man? That is one of the most intriguing questions of the offseason. What is going on with Zion? What is he going to be able to have an embiid like trajectory of injuries ruining the beginning of his career and then being mostly healthy after he gave some really scary quotes about his mental state right now.
Speaker 3: It was weird before the game.
Speaker 2: He was dunked in pregame, which he hasn't been doing and similar to what we saw last year.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but I don't think.
Speaker 2: I don't think you can. I don't think you can trade Zion at his His value is the lowest it's ever been right now, so I don't think now would be the time to trade him. Uh. But that is an interesting one because this team was a game out of the one seed and then he got hurt and now they're not even gonna be in the playoffs. Uh, all right. By the way, on Twitter, we're gonna post my confidence game. You guys submit yours one through sixteen like we did with the World Cup, and we'll update the winners. Uh, do you or you did a great job in your first week allergies notwithstanding.
Speaker 4: Uh, guys, it's not my fault.
Speaker 2: It's a little we fully didn't take your allergy pill. I mean, listen, it's part of you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: No, but it's never been this bad. None degrees to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, listen, you did great. I'm very proud of you this week. You did a wonderful job on a TV shows. No, I'm not you did a wonderful job. TV show off tomorrow because of Nascar, I think. But I'll see you guys on TV today at three. Happy anniversary, baby, I love you so much. Talk to you guys today at three Plots