Speaker 1: Welcome to Games Lanes. I'm Julian Edelman, and we got a brand new compilation highlight Reels starting now now.
Speaker 2: Josh bray Daniels gives his thoughts on Drake May before he returned.
Speaker 3: To the Patriots.
Speaker 1: Have you watched a little bit of May Drake May I have? What do you think I have him?
Speaker 3: I didn't. I didn't get to see a ton of them in the spring. But he's obviously got great size, really athletic. I don't know where he'll fit in the whole, like you know, the style he'll play with. I'm interested to see how that develops, Like is he going to be a run a little bit of a runner like Josh Allen was in Buffalo. I don't think he's quite as big as Josh is, but like you know, guys like that that have those kind of attributes, you can use him to run the football too, you know. And so I don't think we've seen all that yet in the preseason, but I'm interested to see when he plays if he becomes a little bit more of a dual threat guy or if he's just a pocket passer and a big, tall, strong guy in the pocket. But the games I've seen he's you know, he's done a good job.
Speaker 1: And you know last night, you know, he played and he had that third and fourteen on that first drive, backed up and he got that with his legs, yep, which you know was cover five. Look, I think, yeah, man or something, and he you know, that was pretty cool to see.
Speaker 3: Yep. Uh, he's stepping up in the pocket, which is for a young guys, you know, like that's not always the easiest thing to get him to do. And I saw him multiple times last night.
Speaker 1: Move forward the crunch yea and that crunch stock. You know he stepped up, he didn't. You know, there's a lot of times where a young quarterback can't keep his eyes down field while he steps up. He takes off in one of those lanes.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 1: He delivered that football to Polk. It looked good. You know, he still needs to work his feet. He had too many throws where you know, he's like this and he's trying to do that. Yeah, you know, and he'll learn that, hopefully he does. But that was his mo His his feet aren't.
Speaker 3: And I don't think he played from under center much. Yeah, and you can tell, you know that when when there's exchange issues, you know. Usually that's just time on task, you know, And I doubt he didn't do that much in college from what I gather, So I think those are the kind of things that'll take some time for him to just acclimate, because you can't be you can't be thinking about how to get the ball from the center. Yeah, when you're dealing with backup center defenses and like what's where's the blitz coming from, and what's my read and what coverage are they playing? You got it? You can't be thinking about how to get the ball.
Speaker 1: That's a lot. I mean Foxborough High, right, that's right, Foxborough High right there, that's exactly. One thing also pissed me off is the cleat thing he's wearing, those slipper cleats. Yeah, like the dude, you're too you're two thirty, you're sixty four. You can't be wearing dB one hundred and ninety five pound cleats.
Speaker 3: The foot where the guard get him and it just slipped off.
Speaker 1: Slipped off.
Speaker 3: I didn't like that.
Speaker 1: That made me mad. You got to protect those things, especially your quarterback. You learn how to play with the heavy cleat.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 1: They always say you can't. You might as well start with Jakobe first, because you can never pull the kid once you put them in. Yeah, you know, and so that's going to be an interesting decision what they have going into week one, you know. And you know Girad he's a level headed guy. He's very smart guy. Yep, and you listed all the characteristics he had. I mean, captain this that he checks all the boxes. I'm excited for his opportunity.
Speaker 2: Next up, Josh McDaniels on developing Tom Brady with the Patriots developing young quarterbacks. Can you can you talk about that? You know?
Speaker 1: What's the process?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: You were a huge part of help developing Tom Brady, right, that's when you first came in two thousand and two thousand and one. Ye, you developed him and the other guys. But what it developing a quarterback? What's that process like now? And who also makes that decision? Is the head coach, is the offensive coordinator? Is it, you know, the quarterback coach? Or is it everyone's doing it their own.
Speaker 3: I think I think you have to have a plan, you know, and that obviously starts from the head coach his perspective, and you have to you know, be able to agree on how you're going to kind of unveil that thing to the to the player and you know, and ultimately bring him along. You know, you were a young player that needed to make progress every step of the way. Yeah, and this is no different. It's just there's so much notoriety and so much attention on the quarterback position. So if they're not talking about your arm angle, they're talking about your footwork. If they're not talking about that, they're talking about your eyes or your read or how you navigated the pocket. And there's a lot of things that go into playing it well. But at the end of the day, I think you got to take the player where he's at, you know, when he comes in, whether that was Castle or Garoppolo or Stidham or Brissett or mac aidan O'Connell, like, you got to take the player where he's at. They're all at different spots, they all have been taught different things. They've all you know, digested different amounts of information. Some have played in different systems than yours. Some have played in maybe some that were a little bit more like yours, And you just got to figure out, all right, what do they know and what am I going to try to you know, push forward to get him to progress the quickest. You know, I think I can get this and this done in OTA's okay, great cadence play calls footwork all right, good and in training camp. You know, now I got to get him to see different coverages and understand defenses a little bit more, you know, protections, you know, and then you know, move forward, you know, ball security, and then the red zone is a different animal, and third down and two minute offense. So there's a lot of things that go into it. But I think it's just having a really good feel for where's the player at. Yeah, you know, can't just keep throwing stuff at him. Always talk about it. They have a bucket. You guys all had a bucket, and yours was a big bucket at the end, like you could handle whatever we gave you. Well, when you take a young quarterback, it's more like a cup. You know. You got to put some some stuff in his cup, and when it gets to the top, you got to stop, you know what I mean, and then make sure that he you know, got has this and he can do it well. And then okay, so then when he's ready for more than you get him a bigger cup and then hopefully he ends up with a bucket and you've got a bunch of stuff in there that you can do well. But there's no shortcut. There's no shortcut to it. And I think knowing where the players at is really important. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, some you know, a lot of people have been talking about, you know, the systems in the NFL. You got the West Coast system, then you have like our system, the Charlie Weiss Patriot system, and they say that the West Coast system is pretty much it protects the quarterback, the offensive linement, help with the protections everyone, you know, everyone with the quarterback, you go where the ball is supposed to go. It's step system for the receivers. Is it harder to develop a quarterback in our system, because that's what people are trying to say, than it is in the West Coast system.
Speaker 3: I think it depends on the way you look at that. If the goal is just to restrict the volume of responsibility that you place on him right away, then it certainly could be. If at the end of the day your goal is to have him understand how to handle all the problems and take care of those things that come up in the big games in order for him to help you win them, then maybe it's worth it. You know, that was always our mindset. Is basically what we're talking about here is who's going to do the stuff prior to the ball being snapped. All the quarterbacks have to do the same thing. Once the ball is in their hand. They got to understand what happened relative to the protection or the pressures. They have to read the coverage. They have to identify a guy that they think is open and make accurate throws and protect the ball like everybody does the same thing once the ball snapped. Really, what we're talking about is pre snap responsible.
Speaker 1: Pre stap responsibility.
Speaker 3: That's it. And so I always looked at it like a mountain, like at the beginning, we're at the bottom, we're trying to climb it. And at the beginning, when you start talking to them about making the calls and setting the protections and dealing with the run game and all those things that we you know, we taught our players how to do. You know, it's it's harder because it's foreign. It's not that they don't understand it, it's just different. And so at the beginning they're at the bottom of the mountain. You look up and you're like, God, damn, that's a tall mountain, you know. But always felt like, as we went through the first year, all right, you're getting up the mountain. You know it, I know it, we all know it. And then once you get to the top of the mountain, now there's nothing left to climb because you understand it. You understand how to manipulate the protection, how to solve your issues in prep with blood zero and those kind of things, and and and just be able to to to do it at a high level, you know, because I always thought like, Okay, Tom, everybody knows Tom's won a lot. Well Tom did it that way. Peyton did a lot too, you know, Peyton won a lot, he did it that way. You know. I know that Pat's some you know, in some way, shape or form able to handle some of those things as well. I just think having the quarterback never be responsible for any of that stuff. You know, there's some downside to it. You know. Other people might argue that that's not the case, but I would say that, you know, there's there's pros and cons to both. You know. I love the I love the idea of having the quarterback able to understand it all. Yeah, I really do.
Speaker 1: I mean I did too. That's the quarterback. That's why he's paid all goddamn money, you know, fuck sixty five million dollars Nowaday, Now going back to you know the buckets and the cups. Yeah, when you were developing Team Tim Tebow, did you know that in that cup, we're like fifteen hundred circumcisions?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Was that part of that? Was that part of Like? Was that in the scout no comment? I mean, did we know that he was circumcising comments?
Speaker 2: Me?
Speaker 3: Games with names, Games with names?
Speaker 4: One of my favorite on this podcast, The question was how big with Tim Tebow's cup? Was we wanted that?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's a holy water grail.
Speaker 2: Now the story of Julian disobeying Josh McDaniels and throwing the touchdown pass.
Speaker 1: After we scored that touchdown. I remember that's that's when you came up to me.
Speaker 3: I did. I said, do you need any lead time for the double pass? And you and you said what? And I said, do I have to tell you that it's coming? Meaning like you need to take your red gloves off or whatever? You know, your cutters or whatever. They are, like, what do you do? Do I need to tell you that this is coming like five minutes in advance. You're like, no, no, no, yeah, that's what you said. Just throw it, just call it whenever you want. I'm like, okay, you know, so we so we did. Yeah, that was the the first touchdown was the one we actually did the Raven Baltimore formation the first time. First time we were down by fourteen, and then when we scored one, that's when we went with the double pass.
Speaker 1: A double pass speaking of pass, which we had actually.
Speaker 3: Called earlier in the season against the Chiefs. Against the Chiefs, just didn't we just didn't throw it over there.
Speaker 1: We called it, and you know it was Dola.
Speaker 3: Gonna throw it. Wasn't It was it you or Dola. I don't remember. I watched this morning. It was gonna be you. But Dola was like saying he was playing to man coverage, like we couldn't do it.
Speaker 4: Was trying to call you off when you were in motion.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Can we go into the second time I threw the football.
Speaker 3: Twenty nineteen in Philly, Philly, Yeah, we can do that. It was a great story. Juice's story Jesus told his side to hear your side.
Speaker 1: I don't know if my memories really fucked up.
Speaker 3: The night before the game. This is the story. Yeah, so we well this wasn't the same play. No, it's a different play. Throw it here, throw it back and set up the catch and run. And in the we we always did like a little ballroom, which always felt like you guys loved that. I loved it. To reiterate, it was almost like a very comforting feeling when you walked out of there, like we all study. We all got it. Yeah, we all got it. And it was loose.
Speaker 1: And and so. But it wasn't always loose, depending on like the games. Sometimes we go in there running hard and stuff. I no, but that was that was But I don't think we ever went in there like.
Speaker 3: It wasn't like a big like it wasn't like a big like teaching session at all. It was I would I would call the play, you guys would get on you would do it and walk through it, and that was it.
Speaker 1: But if you had like a new player coming in that had a big role, that was different, you know, like if he was nervous and we were all kind of watching them too, as.
Speaker 3: Well and Julian. Julian, well, I'll tell them to tell two stories quickly. The when he came back in two thousand.
Speaker 1: Eighteen, eighteen eighteen.
Speaker 3: Okay, so the walkthrough because we played on a Thursday night, so we didn't have practice, we didn't have any practice that week because he's just walked through. Well he does. He does the hotel like walk through and he's soaked because he's like running routes in the ballroom like but nobody else. And Tom always had like a little lacrosseball and he would bounce it to you to like show you. And Julian is literally like you could see everything, like he was just drenched. And I remember the other guys were like looking at him, like what is going on with this guy. I'm like, yeah, he's a little he's obsessive compulsive. Right now, I think he needs to play a game, is what I need. He got up a wheel for you in the first possession, Hey walk through like you play? So anyway, the Philly So the Philly game was the second throw that night in the hotel the night before the game, we go walk through it, Tom dribble bounce to the ball to Julian. Julian gets the ball and then he looks, he looks and throws it to phil Bill just Bills just wandering up the field, trying to get at the defense to come this way, and Philly catches it. And I look at him and I'm like, don't you know you do that? And I think we actually did it again, just so he so he would like do it right, you know what I mean. And then we get in the game and he gets the ball and he looks down the field and Philly's open, and then he lets it go and I'm just like and then he caught it, and I'm like, I don't know. Those are the ones that's coaches where you're just like, that's a hell of a play.
Speaker 1: Thigures. If I would have flip my hipsky was my face, I would have got you got you did get. I got drilled.
Speaker 3: He got drilled, drilled.
Speaker 1: I come run off.
Speaker 3: When I come run off, You're fucking dangerous, dude, You are dangerous. You're dangerous. But that was all I remember, because you were the only one that threw a touchdown past that game. Oh yeah, So I remember like like, and then he would come in the next day and he would put ice. He would have his shoulder wrapped in ice in the and he would sit in the front, you know by but like, yeah, I got it.
Speaker 1: You know, I'd always come in like the last person to come in.
Speaker 3: A way, just like that coach.
Speaker 1: You got the door.
Speaker 3: Don't worry, you got that. I take care of that.
Speaker 2: The trade used to have called the ice feed in front of everyone, looking like you just threw a complete game shutout.
Speaker 3: Like yeah, literally, like it's Randy Johnson after a nine inning.
Speaker 2: Oh my, I will say that pass your dangerous Maverick moment in Philly put jewels at five of six one hundred and forty one yards in two tds as a passer.
Speaker 3: There you go. What his reading had to be exceptional.
Speaker 2: That had to be amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. We had the the one in the Super Bowl to Dion oh man, he was close to it. He almost made that.
Speaker 3: He almost made that catch. That was it.
Speaker 1: I shouldn't have thrown it.
Speaker 3: That was nuts. What you mean was he open? You know? He got him? It was like, just buy him. The guy did a good job of peeling on it. Yeah, but the rest of the defense was over there. That game was a blur.
Speaker 4: One fifty eight point three.
Speaker 3: That's perfect.
Speaker 1: That's perfect.
Speaker 3: That's perfect.
Speaker 1: Someone say, that's pretty good.
Speaker 3: Say. The loudest I've ever heard that stadium was when you threw the double pass and scored that. I've never heard that stadium. That stadium has been loud a number of times in our lives. That was the loudest noise that I personally had heard, like because it was almost like, you know, like we we came back once. Now we're down two touches, and so they're like, oh no, not again. Then we come back again, and and to do it that way with you hitting Dan. I mean, that was as noisy as I think. I can never remember that was.
Speaker 1: That was a fun That was a fun play, but it wasn't over so well.
Speaker 4: Before we do that, we let we have players on. We like to walk through like a specific moment, jenneral from the Big Game. We've heard Jules's perspective, We've heard Danny mcdolea's perspective of that play. I love to hear your like beat by beat perspective of that double pass play.
Speaker 3: So down seven, then they punted, got the ball back. I remember it was ready and I had already checked with Bill, you know, like we're good. He goes whenever you know, whatever you want to do it, I'm good, and you know, because I always felt like whenever you're running something, it's a little bit screwy. Yeah, you know, just you better check with your big boss and make sure that you're you're you're not doing it. And he doesn't want you to like fake punts, and you know, so he was he already signed off whenever you want to do and I just didn't feel right about doing it, not like I wanted to get a first down and then do it. I didn't want to do it like the first play of the drive. I didn't want to do it on second and eight, like after the first play of the drive. I wanted to, like, can we get a first down? And then once we get the first down, let's try it, you know what I mean. And so we did. We got a first down, and then I think it was right around midfield and it was kind of the right time to do it, and Dean acquiesced. He brought the star blitz off the side that we threw the ball to. He gave us. We didn't know we were going to get that, but it made the play better because we only had one guy out there that we needed to block and it wasn't too and so was that gronk out there. I think it was gronk out there. And then Danny did a good job of hesitating and going by. But you know, after I asked him if he needed any lead time, he said no, Bill had already you know, signed off on the whole thing. And I just really wanted to get a first down, So it wasn't so like almost like desperate, like we got to try this right off the bat, you know what I mean. I wanted to, yeah, get a little get a little bit of a momentum going in the drive and then give ourselves a chance to see if we could hit it. So and it was perfect because it was on our sideline. I love doing those things when they're on your sideline.
Speaker 1: So when you're seeing when I'm going over in motion, what's going through your mind?
Speaker 3: It's not man. And then when I saw the guy start to creep in and they was gonna blitz, I'm like, I don't know, we couldn't have drawn up a better like them, playing a better defense for the play. It was really just gonna matter whether the corner bit it or he didn't. Yeah, and you know, Danny did a good job of bluffing it and then went by.
Speaker 4: You mentioned, you know, want to do a play like that after first down and doing it on your own sideline? These little details? Is that like the factor room with your play calling? Is that innate? Is that something with reps? Like where do you pick up those little details when it comes into your crafts of play call?
Speaker 3: I think it's just probably experience, you know. I don't like I think when you're coming off the sideline and like the defense is kind of ready for almost anything, you know, Like, I don't think that's a great time to like spring your craziest play on them all the time. I think it's almost like you run a play, you run a second play. Oh, you got a first down. So they're kind of like, all right, they're just driving the ball. They're just trying to do the same stuff they've been doing, you know, throwing the ball here, dink and dunk, which is what I wanted him to be thinking. And they got So we get a first down and we're into a drive. The defensive coordinator he knows we're not going fast. He's into his drive. Now you know what I mean mean meaning Deans. You know, you kind of get into a rhythm of the drive itself. Each drive is different, and so we first down, play, huddle, second dount play, first down, go back to the huddle, you know what I mean. So now Dean's in his rhythm too, and so again the it just I thought that was a better way to do it, honestly than go out there and be desperate and try to hurry up and get to it.
Speaker 1: And you know, people don't realize these you know, I don't know how it's in other places, but here's a department that studies and gives everyone around the league what they're doing to our coaches, and they look at it. These guys study it so you know, you could always see when it's the best opportunity. He's probably seen this situation go down. May not be the specific trick play, but a different trick play that you know, a team off of. You know, a big play makes another big play feels desperate, you know. So these guys they're always watching the game, and that's how they get their experiences, not only through coaching it, but watching other coaches. The great coaches will use their experiences and implicate it into their own.
Speaker 3: And I've made I've I've called enough plays and made enough mistakes when I was younger, you know, to like all right, well that sucked, you know what I mean, Like that totally wasn't the right time to do that, you know, and you just I think learning through your failings as you're going is a helpful thing. So you have a little bit of wisdom, you know, after you've put enough pelts on the wall, you know where now you kind of know like that's I remember not to do that because of the game. And I tried it and it backfired, you know. And the other thing I would say about this is, and you would attest to this, we practiced those things, and we didn't act like they were like so special that it was like impossible for us to succeed at them. I treated those things like almost like a play action pass, like a flea flicker or a double Like if you rep it enough, what's the difference.
Speaker 1: Like other than the ball handling?
Speaker 3: And yeah, but I trusted you enough and we'd repped it enough where I was like I didn't call it and go like this like what's gonna happen? I called it going as long as the defense is going to give it to us. I've seen us execute this many times. Look at he's got this smile like, Yeah, tell him how many times I hit it in practice?
Speaker 1: I think I overthrew him three or four times. You were gloves too, right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Because you always shits on quarterbacks when they wear their gloves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I'm not gonna take my glove off.
Speaker 3: Well that's why that the thing is you take it off. Then these guys Baltimore might have been perceptive enough.
Speaker 1: This guy Michael Jackson.
Speaker 2: Next, Josh McDaniel's details what it's like coaching under Bill Belichick and Nick Saban.
Speaker 1: You coached at Michigan State, you got just for one year? For one year with Saban? Was that part of ready?
Speaker 3: Right after I graduated from Carol.
Speaker 1: And so did did you think Nick gave you a recommendation of Bill?
Speaker 3: Sure? I don't, I mean I can't.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Brian, So, Brian was a second year GA. I was a first year GA. So he was a year older than me. Brian dable table. So when I got there, Brian was already in his second year, and so I was in my first year. So that was a huge experience for me because coming to New England with Bill after being with Nick, it didn't seem like such a like oh my gosh, yeah, you know what I mean, because I'd already like, all right, I know what this is like, you know, after having been with.
Speaker 1: Nick, what are the similarities and differences Nick is?
Speaker 3: Nick is not afraid to really detail it out, you know what I mean. Like there would be like a cover one tip sheet for the DB's that was like this thick that's just cover us one defense, you know what I mean. It's like, holy cow, you know, if you do this, do this, you know, got that, you know, and he believed in preparation, preparation, preparation. It was relentless in that regard. Bill was very much the same, but less like he would try to simplify I thought, you know, as much as he could, you know, and we might play cover one, but he's not going to overwhelm you with you know, too much detail. But I mean, honestly, there's their personalities are a little different. Everybody thinks Bill is what you see in the media, and as you know, it's not like that, you know. So it was fun, It was really it was great for me to have a chance to be with Nick before going.
Speaker 1: To Bill baptize you into it, no doubt. You know, we all forget Anakin was the Jedi first. Okay, he was a Jedi.
Speaker 3: M well, hell, hell,