Speaker 1: The following.
Speaker 2: He is a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 3: Cowboys.
Speaker 2: This is Girls Talk, Boys Talk, presented by Jigsaw Dating, Preferred Dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys and broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World Headquarters at the Star. Now your hosts, Jess Navarees, Aisha Morrison, Kelsey Charles, and Jane Slater.
Speaker 4: Welcome into Girls Talk, Boys Talk.
Speaker 5: I'm your host Jane Slater, joined by the aforementioned Aisha Morrison, Kelsey Charles, who's talking to us remotely, and of course Jess Nelverez.
Speaker 6: I always free it out.
Speaker 7: It's okay, you know, you try and I appreciate veras you got this girl, I believe.
Speaker 4: I'm so sorry.
Speaker 5: Uh, nice little day off yesterday I got to interview Joe Thaisman.
Speaker 4: A fun fact. I didn't know this, maybe some of y'all did. Did you know his rule as Joe Feesman.
Speaker 5: Really they changed it to thisman when he went to Notre Dame as part of a Heisman campaign and it stuck from.
Speaker 4: His kids and his family here before.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 5: Some people that are listening to this of the older generation, they're probably familiar with that story, but I thought.
Speaker 4: That was interesting. And I know he was a.
Speaker 5: Washington Commanders back then, obviously different mascot and won a Super Bowl with them, but just thought that was interesting. A former divisional quarterback talked a lot about adversity, and the Cowboys have got their fair share of adversity, and they've also had their fair share of sound this week, did you guys listen to Mike McCarthy today talking about Kellen Moore in the need for him to call a more conservative game, And I know it raised some eyebrows, but because you watch so much of the film, I'll start with you, what do you think he implied by that?
Speaker 8: So basically, and I mentioned this earlier this week, is that I personally think that looking at the the way that the Cowboys run offense, I feel like there are a lot of similar similarities as.
Speaker 6: They were last year.
Speaker 8: But some of those guys on the outside, like Amari Cooper, the Ceedee Lamb, Michael Gallup obviously isn't playing like those guys they can beat some of those coverages, they can, you know, and what you're seeing now this year, I feel like it's similar play calling, but those those young receivers are having trouble, but then also you gotta take I think they're gonna.
Speaker 6: Have to take the short passes.
Speaker 8: I think that they're gonna have to kind of turn back the clock and be methodical and be simple with their offensive play calling so it can open up some of the down.
Speaker 6: The field stuff and stuff.
Speaker 8: So personally, what I what I took from what he was saying is that you don't have some of these guys that can just you don't have numerous guys who can go beat guys one on one.
Speaker 6: You are going to have to.
Speaker 8: In my opinion, the Cowboys have to put out some good tape.
Speaker 6: The last tape.
Speaker 8: That people have seen from them from the middle of the season last year to the playoff game to game one of this season. They don't look like they can run the ball. They struggle when you drop dbs in coverage and this is a and the offensive line has had trouble. So I think that defenses are looking at that moving forward and they really are like, you're gonna have to go down the field. You're going to have to put together good drives, You're gonna have to not get penalties. So the Cowboys are when I kind of understand the conservative take. I think it's more so just let's fundamental football, as you've talked about, Jess, just get back to the basics and hopefully hopefully that opens up the other exotic stuff that you want to do, because right now you don't look like you can do the basics well. And I think that's kind of what he was saying there. But then also, there is nothing wrong with the head coach tapping their offensive line offensive coordinator on their shoulder and being like, if this is working, stick to it. And this is something fans, I can say, have been asking about and asking for it for a while. It's like, hey, why isn't there being that adjustment made? Is like if Kellen looks like he's struggling, and we have seen like we've seen him go heads ahead with defensive coordinators and they get the best of him in different instances. So I also was happy in some new regard to hear that Mike McCarthy addressed it, and hopefully it's something that they continue to do moving forward. Because Mike McCarthy has been a play caller, he has experience as a play caller. Not only that, he has experience as a play caller with two running backs and where they turn running backs sometimes into receiver options. So when you see the lack of I don't know, the offensive efficiency, it's frustrating because it's like, I know, this guy has put input into offenses that were at this level or even less than and they were productive.
Speaker 5: I love that you brought that up, because ladies, I've asked, you know, Mike point blank, why not just call the place yeah? And he has said that, you know, he learned when he was in Green Bay that you've got to do a better job of delegating yes. And he also said that it just took him and Kellen a little bit of time in terms of terminology and what he was trying to accomplish and what Mike was trying to accomplish. But you know, he told us last season that he was going to be more involved in the room with the quarterbacks, more involved in this offense. I just wonder the level of his involvement this week versus in the week's past. I mean, just when you listen to some of his comments, and you know you've watched some of the film, what stands out to you about Kellen Moore and what he's doing so far.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I just see the same issues and it's not establishing things early on. And that's in regards to the run game. I think it's so vital for a team that has a running back duo like Ezekiel Alia Antoni Pollard, and I think when you escape the run too early in the game and you don't allow those guys to establish the run game, you're in trouble either way, right And then you know, I used it to your point talking about comparisons from last season, they had those veteran wide receivers and the name I think that gets slept on quite a lot is Cedric Wilson. He was also a very key target, especially last season with his let's see catching rate of seventy three point eight percent. I mean, I think the loss of him, the loss of Amar over the off season is really really a tough pill to swallow when you don't have that veteran presence on your wide receiver core. And I think that's something that you know, going into this season, Kellen Moore needed to adjust to needed to adjust to the fact that you have a younger wide receiver corps. You have you know, rookies essentially having to step up for these bigger name guys if you will, and I think not relying and pushing the run game as much as he needs to be is exactly the issue that where we are now, and I think you know you have the luxury of having two running backs. You have Ezekiel Elliott who pounds and pounds out of that hole. He has that speed to get out when you give him the chance to build that momentum, and then you have Tony Pollard that you can interchange him with. So Zeke isn't getting fatigued, he's not getting those reps over and over and over to where he's not getting the yardage. You have the run game, you have the tools for it, given we know the O line situation, but really it's how can you give the O line a chance when you're not establishing the run either.
Speaker 6: You got to use something.
Speaker 7: You really don't know what your O line is capable of with this run game until you give them the chance to establish your the run game. We didn't even get to see that with ten ten Zeke touches. How can you really know if this O line can hold up for that run or not.
Speaker 6: Penalties didn't help either.
Speaker 4: That's what I was gonna go.
Speaker 5: I don't think I think it's I think it's hard for them to stick with the run when you are getting these penalties that's putting you behind.
Speaker 7: And the Kelsey snap penalties too, and Kelsey.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you saw this. It's from Michael Gelkin Dallas Morning News. He got this away from the cameras.
Speaker 5: But when he was asking Ceedee Lamb about, you know, his two for eleven against the Bucks, CEEDI said, I was so I don't think I can use the word ticked off all clarify.
Speaker 4: I was just like, what was going on. I had to have a flashback.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're gonna get all the attention out. This is what they were talking about. I love the mission and the vulnerability there, but how did you not know that you were gonna get targeted as much? I mean, you're now they keep saying like you're the guy, and there's not a lot of guys on the roster, and then you bring up Cedric Wilson's catching right. Well, of course it was high when they got the ballroom last year because they were so hyper focused on the CD Lamb, the mri Kpers, the Michael Gallops and the absence of all of that, they really only have to focus. I felt like they only gave respect really to two guys, and that was I think they focused a lot on Tony Pollard in the last game. And tell me if I'm wrong, when you've looked at someone to take but and they focused.
Speaker 4: A lot on CD Lamb.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but I'm.
Speaker 5: Shocked that he wouldn't think that.
Speaker 8: I mean, it's it's a you know, people say it all the time. I believe that DeMarcus Laurence said it this week. Is like they want complimentary football and on the like, I think that can happen, just like with one side of the ball and there it's not complementary on the offensive side of the ball. To me, they just have to show that something is successful because if you don't show that anything is successful offensively, then the defense comes in. And like the defense comes in and they're they're paying, they're keying in on everything that you're doing.
Speaker 6: So to me, I really.
Speaker 8: Feel like this game is establishing something positive, putting some positive tape out there.
Speaker 6: For people to second guess. Because right now, second guy, they have.
Speaker 9: A positive real quick guys, because.
Speaker 4: Like Kelsey, they have a positive opening drive.
Speaker 6: Tracking that right.
Speaker 4: Then after that it kind of fell pies.
Speaker 9: Here's my thing is that we keep talking about like we need them to be. You know, I think balance is a big thing that this team needs to focus on. We talked about the differentiation between like how much they were targeting CD. CD seems surprised by the fact that this defense, the opposed defenses are knowing that that's exactly where Kellen Moore's gonna go. So Kellen has to do a better job of spreading out the love to the rest of the team. But also I feel like, you know, we talk a lot about fundamentals and again we could just you know, be a dead horse forever and ever about penalties. One of the things that I think this team really need to take a step back and do is look at the anatomy of this year's team versus last year's team. You are working with an entire different set of tools. You cannot do the same things you did last year and consider them applicables this season. It's not even close. So like Kellen Moore coming out and being cute on some of those first drives, maybe last year that could have made some sense. You want creativity everyone, You know, begging him to do something different. Well, the difference this year is that you have completely different guys out there on the field, So you have to get used to that first, and you have to build those fundamental blocks if you will them to even be able to get some kind of rhythm developed. And then I'm looking to him to add something more on top of it, give me the cherry on top, but I need you to like figure out the Sunday first, because like it's melting at this point.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, and Kelsey, to your point, I was just looking over my game log. Their first drive when they had the fourteen plays went for fifty four yards, even though it resulted in literally their only points in the game. It was a fifty one yard film out Brett Maher. They had six different receivers on that drive. They did run the ball, they did get it out to their receivers, so it felt more balanced. But then it's like you started moving away from it. You see a lot of There was a lot of incomplete passes in this game. You know, as I was long it, there was a ton of incompletions. And yes, Dak was throwing into some tight windows, but even listening to some of the guys this week, it sounded like some of the guys weren't running the right routes. And I have a hard time believing that it's going to get any better with Cooper Rush, even though they did get some work with them in the preseason, which was different than what they got with Dak. You know, most of their meaningful work with the ones was during the joint practices.
Speaker 4: But as much as they're saying.
Speaker 5: Publicly how much confidence they have in Dak, I mean Cooper Rush, I just have a hard time believing that we're gonna see this offense suddenly thrill us uh in week two.
Speaker 8: I think you could see more of I think you could see more spread in the ball just because Cooper Rush just he's I DAK and there's no it's no knock to Duck. But he's always been a little bit more of a conservative, you know, quarterback. There's nothing wrong with the game manage, there's nothing wrong with that. It's not a bad word out.
Speaker 6: Here in these streets.
Speaker 8: But I I do I do see him like not being afraid to go down the field a little bit. I want them to show some type.
Speaker 6: Of vertical threat.
Speaker 8: Just get these guys on their heels, just just have those dvs come off the line a little bit more like hopefully turp And gets some burn in this game. I think they tried them on like this option route that was kind of nice. But by that time, nobody cares about what you're doing in a run game because they know you're gonna go away from it. But I hope that it's early that they established some type of like, no, we're gonna go down the field a few times, because if you're not spread in the ball, why would safeties care they're gonna come down and play in the box.
Speaker 4: Well, we're gonna go and take a break here real quick.
Speaker 5: But Micah Parsons said the other day that he saw this zero to one start as an opportunity and likened it the opportunity and the success they had in Week two last year.
Speaker 4: Why I take issue with that.
Speaker 5: When we come back, but the Girls Talk, Boys Talk podcast, brought to you by Jigsaw Dating, the official dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys, will be right back at Jigsaw Dating.
Speaker 1: We obviously want the Cowboys to bring that sixth ring home, but to be honest, we're more focused on finding the person who will put a ring on your finger. That's why we created a dating app that reveals your face through meaningful conversation so you can date deeper because it's personality that matters the most, not looks. Join Jigsaw Dating Today, Dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Dear, past, present, and future football watchers, you know why we're here. Build Football season is back whoo and since that's too amazing to miss a single seconds worth, Pepsi is officially giving you permission to always put football first.
Speaker 6: Like maybe those in.
Speaker 3: Laws are back in town. Well better hope their football fans because your Sunday.
Speaker 7: Is completely booked.
Speaker 3: Long story short, Crack open a Pepsi and don't let anything get between you and your football watching. With love, Pepsi made for football watching, That's what I like.
Speaker 10: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders, and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at a team hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas, tour the Star and talk ex'es and o's with me. Everson Walls with Star Sports Tours. You can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package Today.
Speaker 11: I'm dok Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. Blockchain dot Com is one of the most trusted way to buy, sell, and trade crypto. Whether you always on the go or stay closer to home, blockchain dot com is just a few taps away put the power of crypto in your pocket, so no matter where you are, you can trade on your terms and build a crypto portfolio to fit your life.
Speaker 4: For crypto pros, rookies.
Speaker 11: And anyone in between, blockchain dot com makes it easy to own a piece of the future. Blockchain dot Com Trust it by millions, Trust it by America's team.
Speaker 5: Welcome back to Girls Talk of Boys Talk brought to you by Jigsaw Dating, the official dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys. I am impressed with the leadership prowess of Micah Parsons in year two. We even saw some of that in year one, but he was looking at this as an opportunity in week two and he likened it to last year when they lost to Marcus Lawrence and was just the most random injury at practice and non contact drill one of the tackling dummies, and it felt bad, you know, heading into especially after you were coming off of what felt like a really close win against the Bucks and now you're going and facing Justin Herbert and the Chargers. But I went back and looked at that game, and respectfully Micah, I disagree because while you lost DeMarcus Lawrence, Micah ended up stepping up in that game and had a sack, Trayvon Diggs had an interception. But specifically, when you look at the offense and that one Tony Poler had over one hundred yards and that one Ceedee Lamb had eighty one yards, I don't know if I have this sort of confidence in this offense and their ability to respond in week two. In other words, they don't have a Micah Parsons that can step up in the absence of DeMarcus Lawrence.
Speaker 4: I mean, Micah Parsons did so well last year.
Speaker 5: They were going to DeMarcus Lawrence and restructuring his deal, and that says everything you used to know about how they felt about Micah and what was behind him. I don't think there's a guy in this offense, specifically at quarterback, that is going to do such a good job before in the gaps that we're talking to Dak about redoing his deal next year.
Speaker 4: Seriously, I mean, I.
Speaker 8: Think I kind of understand, uh the game planning aspect of it, to have a similar game plan as the Chargers. The Chargers game, I would argue that was obviously one of their better running games they got.
Speaker 6: I mean, uh, Tony killed them on the edge.
Speaker 8: I mean they got a lot like they struggle with outside contain the Chargers did, So you do look at this game like you kind of want the similar thing.
Speaker 6: And then Ezekiel Elliott had a whole bunch of yard.
Speaker 8: Like it's I think that they kind of want to playoff playoff the run. So I get maybe like compared into the Chargers because the game plan may be similar as far as like we don't have there's not a person on the offense that is Michael Parsons quality.
Speaker 6: To cup in and step in for a deck.
Speaker 8: Like I said, I think it's just gonna be an all around thing. This run game is gonna have to be productive and actually have some type of succession running the ball like that's all.
Speaker 6: That's all.
Speaker 8: But I do understand kind of what he's saying about the circumstances with the game, maybe the game planning for how they want to tackle being or the Cincinnati.
Speaker 7: Be even just the mentality of it, right. I Mean, here's the thing. I think, in order for there to be any form of a pulse early on in this game, the defense is going to have to take more of the workload, Let's be honest with it. And I think in order to do that, they need to stack up the interceptions. They need to put the pressure on Joey b They need to get in that pocket, and they need to allow him to make those mistakes, and by mistakes, it works out for the Cowboys, right Like, you're getting the ball, but it's all going to come down to your field position. And I think the helping the offense in that way of you get them good field position. Look what else could you do for them if you're if you're getting the interceptions, you're getting them good field position. That even goes down to special teams. You know, our punts need to be great. Everything needs to be great. Turbo Turpin needs to turn on his jets. There so many different factors that go into everybody outside of the offense stepping up to help the offense and their their lack of I mean, I don't even want to call it chemistry at this point. I think it's so much I.
Speaker 9: Want to know as far as that, I think that's that feels aggressive. But I feel like you you mentioned interception chets, and I think you know, obviously I think a ton is on the defense. But I think I mentioned this the other day when when you when you talk about interceptions, it really is like the defense operates as this whole massive unit. I'm looking at that front, Steven. You know when you when you look back to like some of the great defenses, it's those guys up front who are creating pressure and therefore creating opportunities for that secondary. So Trayvon Diggs like stand up, be ready to DeMarcus Lawrence and Michael Parsons like, my eyes are on you. You know, Jay, you talked about the league left side with this offensive line for you know, the Bengals, this has been a problem for them for a minute. Granted they came in and they added Lyell on the right, but I know that you guys listened to one to five through the Fan with DeMarcus Lawrison's interview, and he actually made a pretty interesting comment that I actually, you know, I love this, and he said, listen, I watched Lael and he had a hard time with t J. Watt, So I'm gonna send Michael Parts over there, and yeah, like I'll be over there too. So I actually feel like that's going to be a major emphasis for us to be watching this weekend and what this defensive front can actually produce, and then therefore, you know, create opportunities for Trayvon Diggs and the guys to create better filled position for you know, the team moving Ford.
Speaker 5: All right, Well, they had a hard enough time shutting down Julio Jones last week. How are they gonna how are they gonna hold up against Jamar.
Speaker 8: Chase Well, I well, I mean as far as the secondary goes, it sounds like.
Speaker 5: The no jy Ron Curse, you're gonna be leaning on Izzy, who wasn't even dressed out last week.
Speaker 8: I think Donovan Wilson still had a good game filling in for jay Ron Curse.
Speaker 6: I looked at him this game.
Speaker 8: It sounds like Marquise Bell and Israel gonna get some burns too.
Speaker 6: We'll see.
Speaker 8: I said earlier that I think that the safety play is going to be so important in this game, because if you can replicate at all what Mika Fitzpatrick did, then they're gonna have a problem.
Speaker 6: What to your point, Yes.
Speaker 8: The Cowboys have to cap they if the defense does get turnovers, they.
Speaker 6: Have to capitalize off of them. Yes, because when you look at that that game last week, it's shouldn't have been that close.
Speaker 8: When you're when the opposing team has that many turnouts like Cincinnati had what five turnovers? Yeah, and Pittsburgh they couldn't capitalize fully. They weren't turning those into sevens. Like they weren't putting points on the board with those turnovers. So Brett Maher is gonna Brett Maher is gonna have to be ready.
Speaker 7: Brett Maher better come and save the day. That's all I'm saying. If he needs to, he needs to be ready. And that goes along with just everybody else being on the ready.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Well to your point, what was it thirty three Tampa Bay's forty eight Donovan Wilson last week had the interception, uh with the past intended for what's his face?
Speaker 4: And they didn't capitalize. Yeah, you know, here we are at the end of the game.
Speaker 5: It was Tampa Bay nineteen Dallas three, and they literally couldn't do anything with it.
Speaker 4: I just and listening to all.
Speaker 5: Of you talk, it sounds like they've got to play fairly error free football. And I can't say that I've got the call, and maybe I'm wrong. I don't want to speak for the rest of you, But are you that confident that this team can play error free football against the Bengals?
Speaker 6: No, I'm not.
Speaker 8: But they're also coming off of a very erroneous game, so they are trying to come in here and get their feel too. Is it?
Speaker 4: But they still have Joe Burrow.
Speaker 8: Tracking that they definitely have more. Yeah, absolutely, I'm not taking anything away from what they can do offensively.
Speaker 6: Also, their defense has earned it.
Speaker 8: They've earned the respect that they have now like they've earned that they put that roster together with their million first round picks.
Speaker 6: This is how it goes.
Speaker 8: But at the same time, I'm like, they're both in a place to where I'm not sure about I'm more sure about their receiving core and what they do, you know, But at the same time, I'm not sure about either one's Like offensive line is gonna be amazing. I think Dallas's offensive line has the opportunity to run the ball. But Cincinnati's offensive line, they're left and right tackle, no offensive leyl Collins. But if I'm looking at the film, I'm like, I'm going at him. I'm going at him, and I think that both teams could see some success rushing the past or this game.
Speaker 5: I think what concerned me in that game, and I know it sounds like doom and gloom and it's sounding really bleak this week when you listen to me talk but on NFL Network and here what concerns me is what their defense was able to do against the Steelers, Limiting Chase Claypool, limiting Naji Harris, weathering five turnovers.
Speaker 6: I you think that Pittsburgh, you think Pittsburgh's offense is worse.
Speaker 4: Than I don't think that.
Speaker 5: I don't think that Pittsburgh's offense is better than Dallas. But I don't know if I believe the defense can hold up as long as their defense did against the Steelers.
Speaker 8: I think you have the debt to do it. I think, especially on the defensive line. I thought the DT's played pretty well this past game. Really, where the success of the Bucks came from was the left.
Speaker 6: Side of the defensive line.
Speaker 8: So they were running, they were running at Dorans, they were running at Laateon, they were you know, they were running at that side trying to get trying to catch tray Von Diggs having to come up and tackle.
Speaker 6: So I feel like, pressure wise, I just want to see.
Speaker 8: I do want to see more pressure from the Cowboys defensive line. Granted you're not playing, you're not playing to Tom Brady, that just gonna get the ball out like that, Joey Joe Joe Blurrow will hold onto the ball.
Speaker 6: He will hold onto the ball.
Speaker 8: So I'm like, that to me, plays into what you want to do defensively, Honestly, Like at this point, I'm like, I'm trying to.
Speaker 4: Just see because well, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Both of you guys are fairly optim I think more optimistic than Kelsey and I are heading into.
Speaker 4: This game, and I am just curious as to why.
Speaker 5: Here's the thing, here's and I'm sure there's fans that want to hear the why because they want to be optimistic.
Speaker 4: It's just and maybe they'll surprise me.
Speaker 5: But I would say this to Cowboys fans if they go, oh and too do you know how likely it is that owe and to start teams that teams that start owing to make it to the playoffs.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm going to.
Speaker 5: Say I'm not saying right off the season, but I'm but what I'm saying is it doesn't look good.
Speaker 7: And what you also have to keep it mine too. And I'm not trying to be you know, pessimistic over here either, but look at the division, look at the rest of the division and the Eagles. Yeah, that was the wild. That was wild. But even the Eagles, they did a really good I think they had a really good offseason in building their team. I really think they were productive. And you know, as much as I love to hate on the Eagles, you can't when they're being productive and they are going to be a legitimate threat to the NFC East. This team cannot afford to lose, and they also can't afford to just say, Okay, well, what if you know, we lose and then Dak comes back. Dak can save it all, don't. I don't necessarily think it's fair to put Dak in that position either. So in the meantime, I'm trying to be optimistic here and saying that, look, it couldn't be much worse than what we saw last week pre Dak injury. Right, it couldn't be much worse given you add Cooper Rush in this mix. I am not going to count Cooper Rush out just yet, and that's only because I don't think we've seen enough of him to be able to say that we've seen Cooper Rush. See there we go. But the thing is we can we can't. Me my Cowboys fan brain is saying, look, if if the defense was able to hold Tom Brady to nineteen points last week, I think you really rely heavily on leaning on the defense and leaning on the run game, two things that you do absolutely have. You have two good running backs, you got the fuss, They.
Speaker 5: Lost Chris Godwin in the game and couldn't even capitalize on it.
Speaker 4: That's what concerns me.
Speaker 6: And part of the reason, but part of the reason.
Speaker 4: Why one real threatnight.
Speaker 8: The only optimism that you're that you're finding for me is the fact that I do think that Dallas has the pieces to replicate what the Steelers did last week. Now, granted they were playing very inspired football because of the Black Forces, because of Mike Tomlin, but I do think that you still.
Speaker 6: Have the pieces to come out.
Speaker 7: Here and playing White.
Speaker 6: I'm just being honest.
Speaker 8: I know Mike mccarthur ain't pulling out no Black forces, but at the same.
Speaker 6: Time, like Damn Quinn, he actually might.
Speaker 8: But I do listening to the defensive players, it sounds like they understand the gravity of the situation and that they're going to have to come out to play.
Speaker 6: So that gives me home.
Speaker 7: At the end of the day, we can just see what happened.
Speaker 8: But on the offense, with the running the ballpark, I know everybody's like weird about run the ball The Tampa Bay Bucks defensive line is no joke.
Speaker 6: It's no joke.
Speaker 8: And if the Cowboys didn't beat themselves with penalties, they probably would have continued to move the ball.
Speaker 6: Like you said, we didn't get the chance to see it.
Speaker 8: So I personally think that what Tampa Bay has on their defensive line is heavier than what is on the Bengals defensive line, even the linebacker position, all respect to you know, to what they have at the Bengals linebacker wise, But like Devin White and those guys are a different level, and I feel like the Cowboys did see some success there. They went away from it. So this is a wait and see game for me. I don't know about everybody else. I'm trying to see what they do with it. And then after that, I see what happens with Cooper Rush with a number one situation with the number one level offensive line and all that stuff, and I'll.
Speaker 6: See what he does.
Speaker 7: And you're remember that was only week one, right, and and that's that's for everybody. That's for the fan base. Like this guy was falling on Twitter this week, and it's it's weak.
Speaker 9: Well why I understand why.
Speaker 7: I get it. I get it, Like I feel the frustration.
Speaker 9: I get it, honestly feel like at the same time, though, like we keep on talking about like they're not capitalizing and they're not doing this, and I can't help go back to the fact that, like are they even capable of doing that with the tools this front office has set them up to have at their availability for the season, Like I just that's where I struggle, Like I really do. We're saying like, well, they need to capitalize, they need to like you know, the defense, Like, yes, defense can get you filled with this is but then what is Cooper Rush and Ceedee Lamb and the lack of a consistent run game going to then turn around.
Speaker 12: And do with it.
Speaker 9: Like that's where I have the hardest. I'm where I need a little bit more of them holding up their end of the bargain because the defense can can do as much as they can do. But like, if you can't score points, doesn't matter. Like there's a team in basketball, Grinnell College who literally does not play defense. They just go down the court and they shoot three pointers. But it's not the other way around where they don't score points and they only play defense. Like that's not how the formula works. So like that's where I have my biggest CONCERNU. I'm like, I kind of wish the tables were turned a little bit where I could at least rely to get someone on the board who's like going to be able to get me points. And I just that's where I struggle.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, and I think the other thing that just stands out to me, I was listening to you know, we've talked about penalties a lot this week on the show, and rightfully so. Jerry Jones was asked about that I want to fight to the fan this morning, and even he conceded that there's been such a point of emphasis on.
Speaker 7: Penalties, but when do we see that?
Speaker 4: That's my frustration.
Speaker 5: I mean last year, even before the Broncos game, I'll never forget my card saying they had spent one of the days specifically on penalties.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like a major focus.
Speaker 5: And I know this was a mad and even Jerry was talking about the day like, we know it's a point ofments. We got to continue focusing on that. And so essentially it was across the board. I mean, you're talking about holding people other than just the players accountable. I mean it's I guess it's on the coaches too, but ultimately kind of bringing the thing full circle, Kellen Moore has to do a better job of putting his players in a.
Speaker 4: Position to succeed. And I guess the question I have.
Speaker 5: And even though Jerry's response, even when asked if this was a predictable offense, he said, well, we went twelve and five last year, all right, fair enough, fair enough, but I just if removed that record twelve and five. When you look at some of these games, do you think that Kellen Moore has done a good enough job of putting some of his players in a position to succeed and this is where he's really gonna get tested this year because he got to, because he has to. It was an embarrassing of riches with some of the talent that he had last year on this roster.
Speaker 7: I'm going back to last season just looking at the penalties, because you were talking about the Denver game with the amount of penalties, and it just made me think of even Thanksgiving the Raiders game with fourteen penalties, given that was on both sides of the ball.
Speaker 4: Right now, were the most penaltist team in the league last year.
Speaker 7: Do I have to remind you of the lucky number again? But one twenty seven, one hundred and twenty seven penalties is never acceptable. And to me, look, I don't know how to run a football team. I'm not saying I do. But at the end of the day, if you are leading the league in the wrong things as the amount of penalties that your team had that cost you over a thousand yards last season, how is there? How are we still seeing the amount of penalties that we have seen.
Speaker 5: Some of its I think it's youth too, right try and they've got a lot of youth on this team, and we've mentioned that I think you've got a lot of I think a lot of guys are trying to do too much. They're prussing a lot a lots being asked. And this goes back to your argument, Kelsey, when you're relying on these young guys so much and you're not bringing in some of these veteran free agents, this is sort of what you're going to get. There are going to be these growing pains, and I guess the only silver lining for me is the reason why the defense played so well last year, I think is because in Mike McCarthy's first year, they were forced to play.
Speaker 4: So many young guys.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I think some of that experience met with the right coach to put players in the best position to succeed. All of that translated into success. And so I'm not saying I'm writing off the season, you know, with sixteen games to go, but it just doesn't feel like you've got the right personnel and maybe in some positions, the right coach to get the most out of what you've got on your roster.
Speaker 8: Now you're and I think me and you talked about like it hasn't It hasn't been a lot to talk about it, but the Cowboys brought in a new wide receiver coach this year, and.
Speaker 5: For people that may not know, Adam Henry is responsible for coaching up guys like OBJ and Jarvis Landry at LSU.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so I don't know if that at all. So you also have a new coach in here coaching up these guys. Maybe the techniques different, maybe the way he wants to like all this stuff matters. And I one thing that I saw from Cdee Lamb. I don't think I really saw a lot from that from him last year. But he had two penalties if I'm not mistaken this game offensive pass interference where he's pushing off of guys and he doesn't.
Speaker 6: You don't need to be doing that. What are you doing?
Speaker 5: It feels a little desperate, right, Yeah, He's desperation out there, And part of.
Speaker 6: That is the fact that I feel like it's a part of it.
Speaker 8: I feel like a lot of is the play calling, Like I really do feel like it. And hold I hope people accountable. We talked about accountability. Ceedee Lamb is gonna have to play better. He's going to have to concentrate through these grabs. He's gonna have to He's going to have to catch balls even if they're not perfect sometimes because we hold Deck accountable as well for not having a great game, But that gentleman's gonna have to step up there as well.
Speaker 7: And I think there's a difference between growing pains and then what you're actually seeing at the Cowboys. Because it's okay to have growing pain. I'm not saying you're gonna have a penalty free game with the amount of rookies that are being asked to step up right now, I'm not saying that. But at what point is is it not a growing pain anymore? Because this seems like a heavier weight than a growing pain. This seems like issues that have carried on since last year and and essentially were the reasonings behind the Cowboys not making a deeper playoff run than they did, and a lot of the same issues. Mistake, correct me if I'm wrong, Aisha. We're seeing from the forty nine Ers game into the Bucks game.
Speaker 6: It's almost identical.
Speaker 7: And when does that's not a growing pains. That's I don't even know where to start with that. That's so many little things that have built up and built up and built up. But when do you get to start to see the pressures of those things being addressed one by one because there's a lot of things just going on at once.
Speaker 8: I do think that I personally, I do have fight that Terrance still a plays better. And that's just because one of the whole that he got he literally lost his helmet.
Speaker 6: The guy fell.
Speaker 4: They called a whole.
Speaker 6: It was craziness.
Speaker 8: But then the other you know, the false starts where I want him to be confident and everyone talks about him being confident. I listened to his interviews and stuff, but he was You could tell that he was unsure. Maybe that was the cadence changing. These are things we don't talk about, like the communication of the like of the offensive line with these new offensive line and being installed, the quarterback being installed, all that stuff. So I expect for Terrence Steel to have a better game. I don't think he played bad, but the penalties were so detrimental that it's difficult to look past.
Speaker 6: And you know, his play.
Speaker 7: That outshined how he played at the end of the day. Because you ask anybody this week, hey, Terrence Steele, and everyone's gonna go, oh, three penalties in a row. You know, it outshines you and really it. It just there was a pulse to that game. At some point, there was a pulse. There was a little baby pulse, right, It wasn't a big pulse, but there was a pulse. And those kind of things that give you just the lack of advantage with the feel position sets you back. And and that's what I'm talking to. Those are pre snap penalties that are just so unacceptable for this team. And and so, okay, Jane, back to your point.
Speaker 4: So I was going to chime in there.
Speaker 5: I was like, the fulls lasted five minutes and fifty eight on a fourteen.
Speaker 7: Right, But to your point of why are you so optimistic? Here's the thing. Do I think the Cowboys could win this game? Yes? I do, but they have to at least show improvement. That's what I'm looking for this week is do I always want the Cowboys to win?
Speaker 6: How that is?
Speaker 4: That's where the bar is got, you know what?
Speaker 7: But do I want to see a win? Always? Yes? But do I want to get my call for my dad upset that they lost? No, of course not. But at the end of the day, like I want to see improvement, that there's a pulse for the season, not just talking about it we see in the middle.
Speaker 9: L Like, let me ask you guys this, like because I if I put my fan hat on, like I feel that, like as someone who you know has worked for this team full time, like I understand it's the worst coming back into the facility on a Monday and you just got beat so bad and you're like this sucks, you know, and like everyone's in a bad mood, like you're just overall impacted personally when the team loses. But then if I like take a step back, I'm like, Okay, everything that we just talked about today, what about the fact of maybe we look at like a moral victory as the goal, Like is that more realistic for this stint in between when when I know, I know that I feel that, I feel that, but like, is it a moral Okay?
Speaker 5: Last weekend, Kelsey, is it a moral victory if they get a win over the Bengals after what we saw last week against the Steelers? Like are we as high on the Bengals right now as we were when the season started? Because more when you looked at week two, like, oh my god, the Bingles are coming into town, Like look at it's Murder's Row, right, Like right, But if but if we see a performance in the Bengals like we saw against the Steelers and the Cowboys managed to pull off a winner, feeling any better on Monday, because that's a very Dallas thing to do, for us to say like they've got no chance and then for them to go get a win.
Speaker 4: Against the Bengals.
Speaker 8: And that's why I just said I'm waiting to see in But I will say that, yeah, against their defense.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I still think if you if you can.
Speaker 8: Score against their defense, their defense is no Their secondary, their safeties are no joke, Like, yeah, if you can do anything with them, would I would expect their secondary?
Speaker 6: Their secondary is a little bit all right, safeties?
Speaker 4: Tell you what.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna take us to a break, and I want you guys to marinate on this when we come back. I want you guys to tell me what offensive player is going to step up and we're gonna be talking about on Monday.
Speaker 7: I like this, all right.
Speaker 5: No, it's a deep barrel here, ladies, Girls.
Speaker 4: Talk, Boys Talk.
Speaker 5: Brought to you by Jigsaw Dating, the official dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Will be right back.
Speaker 7: Yeah, sweet, did you get to work on time?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 4: But I just realized it's Sunday.
Speaker 13: Little sweets his head on home Doctor Pepper on its way, so sweet you need Maybe there's nothing better.
Speaker 7: I'm good. You've probably done something that deserves you.
Speaker 14: Investionistic in an FT and I don't even know what that is.
Speaker 7: It's a non fungible token, something that.
Speaker 14: Deserves Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 13: Five G requires compatable plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com Slash five G for you for details. Brace yourself for an existential question. Has your butt been having enough fun lately? Have you been treating it well? Has it been going places? If not, then it's about time you start using seat Geek. Seat Geek is the best way to get your butt tickets to live events. Just ask the thousands of other butts who have rated it the number one ticketing app. So what are you waiting for? Download the app now or visit SeatGeek dot com to get tickets to sports, concerts and live events and make your butt happy. Seat geek get your seat in a seat.
Speaker 12: What do you call a group of grown men and women with their faces painted silver and blue who get together every week to share a three hour long ritual of jumping, sinking, and toasting Miller Lite and Tim Gallon hats while yelling how about them cowboys? You call it Miller Time in Dallas. Here's to the Cowboys, Here's to the original light beer. It's Miller Time. Celebrate Responsibly. Twenty twenty one, Miller Brewing Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 6: Welcome back to.
Speaker 5: Girls Talk, Boys Talk, brought to you by Jigsaw Dating, the official dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys, Kelsey Charles.
Speaker 4: You work for about a million different companies.
Speaker 5: When you're not doing this, and one of them is Lukezy Boots, which I love, my first real pair of boots. But you were outfitting the head coach last night and had an interesting conversation with him, didn't you I.
Speaker 8: Did, so.
Speaker 9: I did tell you guys, look at it yesterday. I was going to hold them back unless he won the game. I failed in that regard, but I did think it was really interesting. I was talking to him and just obviously it's been a tough year thus far and the one gang we played, and he was like, listen, you know, dealing with failure sucks. But I actually would argue that dealing with success is harder, and especially in a place like Dallas. I mean, we've watched this team in years past where, like you just said off the air, Jane, like they start to feel themselves a little bit, right, Like you know, they get their swag and they're like, oh, like we're pretty good despite the fact like maybe they had a rough time before and then Vick Banjo comes in town and you're like, what just happened? So I think, you know, for me, I would look at this upcoming weekend as a really big test. I'm of the mindset where I'm stacking little victories. I want to stay humble. I need them to fix a lot of things. But like, yeah, I'll take a little bit of a moral victory. And offensively, if you guys asking me a player, like, give me Tony Pollard. I need to see a lot of him this weekend. He's the guy that I'm gonna look forward to add a lot to this team, all.
Speaker 4: Right, are you sure?
Speaker 6: Ezekiel Elliott?
Speaker 8: For me, I with the Bengals defense, like their safeties come down and I want to make their safeties have to come down and tackle. So I want, I really want them to run the ball hard. And I think Ezekiel Elliott, the way that he in the way he does run the ball can help tire out that defense that kind of flies around for them.
Speaker 6: So for me, that's that's my guy.
Speaker 8: He sounds like he's prepared listen to his interview to take a lot of the weight.
Speaker 6: I hope they put it on him. He has legs in them. Man, let's go.
Speaker 7: He's still mine. But I'm gonna I'm gonna change I'm gonna change mine up and I'm gonna say chasing the storm Dalton Schultz because here's the thing. I think he was a clutch guy and that doesn't really say much last week, right, But I think if the wide receiver group isn't capable of stepping up. I really think you're gonna see those short passes to him, and I think he hasn't given us a reason to think he's not gonna to make the catches when he needs to be clutched. So I'm gonna go Dalton Schultz.
Speaker 5: I'd love to see them be able to establish the run and have it be successful, and they they've shown us that they can do that before. But if you're going to be focused so much on Ezekiel Elliott and you're focused on Ceedee lamb, give.
Speaker 4: Me Noah Brown.
Speaker 5: Okay, Yeah, let no a Brown step up. If they're not giving him a lot of respect. He just needs to run the right routes and he needs and I would imagine that Noah and Cooper have gotten a lot of work together. Yeah, you know, as more two guys, second team guys. So give me Noah Brown. I do want to highlight when we look at the schedule, when you talk about filling themselves, let's assume they start off oher and one. Then they've got the Giants on the road Monday night football. Then they've got commanders here, then they've got the Rams just where they could definitely fill the brakes.
Speaker 4: And then they've got the Eagles game.
Speaker 5: This is going to be an interesting stretch here because they are divisional games, because they do count. That's why I fully expect to see Michael Gallup in Week three. I think that's when you're really gonna see them, is when they're playing within the division. But when you look at yeah, but when you look at that schedule. All right, so one too of of the after the Bengals game one, two, three, four games because then they've got the Lions after that. What's their record in those four Aysha Caronicles.
Speaker 7: Jane, don't do this.
Speaker 6: Stay again, State of State. It seams again.
Speaker 5: You've got Giants, Okay, there Monday night football. Then they've got a noon game with the Commanders. Then they've got the Rams, uh, which I believe is on the road. Nope, that's yep, there are on the road for that one.
Speaker 4: And then they've got the Eagles.
Speaker 8: Damn, I'm gonna say, I'm gonna say to two to be safe. Okay, Barnacles, I didn't. You didn't.
Speaker 6: That's for detail. I was cheating, just trying to get something out.
Speaker 8: Com Yeah, that's the only all ones because I think Philly, as much as I can't stand that Green, has some nice things going on over there.
Speaker 6: Like that a J.
Speaker 8: Brown and Jalen Hirst situation looks like a real thing now. Defensively running you can run the ball on them.
Speaker 6: But other than that, like that's still gonna be a battle because the divisional game, I don't know, I say too or two. And it may be that Rams game looking real iffy right now to me.
Speaker 5: For the Giants, don't you pause and you think about this offensive line?
Speaker 7: And yep, And here's another factor that could plan to that too, is Jack's return. If it's the earlier return, then we're thinking we think it's six weeks, right, but you know we're we're playing. I'm just saying, right, what if exactly actually to be determined?
Speaker 8: Actually, because they left the door tompetition, it sounds like it's.
Speaker 6: A little bit of a door.
Speaker 7: I'm just saying, I don't think what we're seeing right now could necessarily be what we see come the Eagles game. I really, for any position offensively, I I'm gonna I'm gonna y'all do with that what you will. But I think the commanders they have the best chance to win that game, and the Giants. Maybe I want to be optimistic and say yes, I just there's so many like.
Speaker 5: Our positive pad on the Panels, so Pat Doni at NBC five is always the positive one. But I sense trumpidation there, Kelsey, Did I get yours before I wrap this up?
Speaker 9: I mean, listen, I might. I might even go as far as it goes three in one because I feel like this team is a pretty good job of flitting divisional games. I have my Carson Wentz means ready, so like I'm to give them the win with the Commanders, I think the Giants, I'll take the win there Rams. I'm obvious reasons taking the l and Eagles could kind of go either way, depend on how Hurts, if he's developed into like who they want him to be. But you know that's kind of where my heads. I kind of the Eagles is the one where I could go.
Speaker 8: I could go either way on the OK but the Rams are having a similar problem as the Cowboys right now, with Cooper Rush being the only guy. You just made me think about it though that we saw offensively, they are in a place to where they're kind of scrambling too for answers other than Cooper Cup.
Speaker 5: Okay, so let me ask you this, who do you trust more as your head coach? Sean mcvayer.
Speaker 7: The podcast that.
Speaker 4: We are going to wrap this one up.
Speaker 5: I hope that we're talking victory Monday. I don't enjoy being the wet blanket here for fans when we do this show.
Speaker 4: I just but it would be a very Dallas thing to do to go win.
Speaker 5: This game and get everyone's optimism and particularly Jerry's going again. Thank you for tuning in to yet another week of Girls Talk, Boys Talk, and we will see you here next Monday, right after all the press conferences.
Speaker 7: Go Cowboys.
Speaker 2: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.