Speaker 1: I am all in.
Speaker 2: Oh that's you. I am all in with Scott Patterson an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I Am all In Podcast one to eleven productions, iHeartRadio, iHeart Media, iHeart Podcast Pop Culture, Season seven, episode sixteen. Will you be my Loralai Gilmour? My answer right now is no, I won't. I am joined by my intrepid Creuter, Sue Daniel Romo, Susan French and we don't see her, but we know she's there because we can hear and we can Yeah, I'm here.
Speaker 2: You can't see me because I had to turn my camera off to read.
Speaker 1: Amy Pancake Sugarman, otherwise known as the Dreamer.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Yes, we still have not revealed everyone. Stay tuned to find out what happened between Scott slash Luke and me in my Dream. iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 1: Listen on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Can I do the pancake one? Because I'm the one that really believes in the first pancake phenomenon. It's not the first pancake phenomenon, it's the first pancake fail. Nobody wants the first one. Lorele and Rory have just bought forty onesies. Now, I thought they bought sixty onesies, but I'll go with forty forty onesies. In preparation for Lane's baby shower, Rory believes they need more. I don't want to go all beautiful Mind on you, but according to my calculations, yes, mister Nash, but you're forgetting about the first pancake phenomenon. A Beautiful Mind is a two thousand and one drama film about the mathematician John Nash, played by Russell Crowe. I mean we should maybe give some more information about A Beautiful Mind. It's kind of has like a there's sort of a twist at the end, right, like, does anyone remember it?
Speaker 3: Never seen it?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: He he's a little nuts, right, Well he was, wasn't he like schizophrenic or almost going on?
Speaker 2: And did he think he was doing all these things?
Speaker 1: Yeah? He was schizophrenic. Yeah, yeah, he was a brilliant, brilliant codebreaker and mathematician and all that.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so okay. The first pancake phenomenon is the idea that the first attempt at something is usually the worst and should be thrown away. Now, I don't think it applies to everything, like I've never heard of the first burrito phenomenon, but I believe it's something about the griddle, that the griddle has to get used to the the goo maybe, and the first couple pancakes are never as good as the later pancakes. This is not true of bacon. It might be true of waffles, though. I actually think that in the waffle iron, same sort of thing that the first waffle kind of gets tossed.
Speaker 1: You gotta heat up, you know, you can't be too eager.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's got to be right correct. Okay, So did you love? Equations written the real life John Nash were seen on the classroom chalkboards in the movie The Beautiful Mind, But I think that's supposed to say in a Beautiful Mind? Was Jennifer Connolly the wife in a Beautiful Mind? Yes, she's quite a career, like she's said, quite a career because in that Top Gun too never looked better, Like.
Speaker 1: Oh no, she's she's looked equally as good in a lot of things.
Speaker 2: He was like, way cute, am I okay to say that like that lady is so pretty? Because in Top Gun I was like, yeah, hello, like Tom Cruise can't even get you Jennifer Connolly.
Speaker 1: Right exactly. Yeah, they needed somebody that had that kind of appeal, right, they nailed it.
Speaker 2: If you guys had to in Top Gun too, Like, are you going Tom Cruise? Are you going like Miles Teller? Are you going Miles Teller? Guy? What's the other guy's name? Yeah, the one that became such a thing.
Speaker 1: Now, you know what I say, I think, don't underestimate how difficult it is to carry a film. It's very rare out of quality that somebody has to have.
Speaker 2: And you know, Tom Cruise Maverick till the end of time.
Speaker 1: Tom Cruise has all those qualities and he has for thirty years or forty years, and it's it's just very rare combination.
Speaker 2: Back in the day, so many girls were like, I'm all about Iceman and I was like, look, Val Kilmer is pretty great, but he's no Maverick.
Speaker 1: Like, come on, that's why he was cast. That's that's why Tom Cruise is a massive movie star.
Speaker 2: Speaking of movie stars, Oh that's two down. Sorry, stay tuned because we've got more movie stars coming up in pop culture.
Speaker 1: Danielle, would you like to take the next one? The top Cheffle? Yeah, I like to would be delighted to have you.
Speaker 3: Rory continues to explain the first pancake phenomenon and Laurlai says, why do you throw out the first pancake? And Rory says, well, because the griddle is too hot, it gets burned. Lorelai then says, oh my god, next to your no excuses, we're making you that audition tape for a Top Chef. Top Chef is a reality competition TV series that features chefs competing against each other in culinary challenges. And did you know Padma Lakshmi Lakshmi Lakshmi, the former host of Top Chef, revealed that she consiums between five thousand to eight thousand calories a day testing contestants. Meals, well, girl, you don't know or you can't tell.
Speaker 4: No, I need to know how workout routine?
Speaker 1: Really? Five thousand, eight thousand calories.
Speaker 3: That's like a swimmers diet.
Speaker 5: And they usually I noticed on that show, they take like multiple bites and they get like a good plate, like it's not like a small little taster.
Speaker 1: How much do you love those shows? Though? Those? I love it fantastic. I love Top Chef. How about there's something called grill masters or fire masters. Have you seen fire masters now where they have to cook outdoors and they have to do it on a grill. Oh, it's just they're all fun to Watch's hungry.
Speaker 2: I am obsessed with this one. I have so many thoughts. I know it's not my turn, but I was knee deep into this. I paused the scene to see what was on.
Speaker 1: The magic All rightusann stand down, go for it.
Speaker 2: May I. Sukie is sitting on Lorelei's couch, reading in touch as Loreli decorates for Lane's baby shower. Oh, Angelaine and Brad had their baby months and months. You're a little behind the times. See, this is the problem with having two kids under the age of four. World events just you know, pass you by? Are you done with those favors? M I can't believe Brittany is driving with her baby on her lap like that she doing with that guy, by the way, Well you'll be glad to know that they've since broken up, although it turns out he was kind of stabling influence in her life.
Speaker 1: Who knew? You're kidding?
Speaker 2: All right, let's talk about it. First of all, I'm gonna go out of order here. And talk about Brittany. That was don't move it up. Don't move it up because I don't need I'm just I'm going off script here, guys. So that was sort of a crazy I don't want to say crazy, but it was a little bit crazy with the baby on the lap. Not only do I remember it weirdly, less than a week ago, I was in we live in this gated community and there was a lady driving with a baby on her back. Oh my lap, and I thought, Brittany. I remember saying it going to Brittany. So this is a thing that has stayed in our minds, Like I can't remember algebra, but I sure can remember Brittany with the baby on the lap. Now, I'm assuming this was Kevin Fetterline, who truly has and continues to be kind of the stabilizing force. Very interesting. Let's talk about Angelina and Brad who have been getting divorced for eight years.
Speaker 5: I was just wondering, because is this finalized yet?
Speaker 2: No, they are yet divorced.
Speaker 1: And she's raking him through the calls.
Speaker 5: Man, didn't their daughter change her last name recently.
Speaker 2: To Shiloh Joe Lee? Like it's so and it's so weird that no matter what I read, I remain Team Pit like I will not be deterred. I am Team Pit. I am still slightly I have a tinge of jealousy because he's got that pretty new girlfriend. He's also got the most beautiful house in all of Carmel, and.
Speaker 1: I just bought a Macdad place. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like an iconic amazing I get it. Just with Team Pit. Now, I'll read these notes even though.
Speaker 1: He's got a he's got a Formula one movie coming out, by the way, I know.
Speaker 2: And he was just there looking aging in reverse. He's got sixty you guys, he looks.
Speaker 1: He is he's sixty years old.
Speaker 2: Wow, he looks forty Like he looks so good. I think it's the hair. His face looks great. I'll never forget. Remember Hey, Pitt, Hey Aniston? Remember that? Oh yeah, they did Hay Pitty And then she goes, hi, honey, and I'm.
Speaker 5: Just like it was a zoom they did in COVID and everyone.
Speaker 2: They did a zoom reading of Fast Times at Ridgemont High. And then like when it starts, you hear she's like, hey, Pitt, hey Aniston, how are you? Honey? Something real cute. Angelina Julie. I wish they would kind of get back together, but that's just me. Angelina Julie is an actress and known for her humanitarian efforts. True, I'm not saying she's not great. I'm just team Pitt. She was previously married to Brad Pitt, who was also an actor.
Speaker 4: Thank you scriptwriter for that.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: The two have six children together, while few of them are legally changing their last name to Julie. Now, let me see if I can name them all. Maddox's the horror. Don't move it up, move it down so I don't cheat. Shiloh Vivian Packs. What is that other kid's name? Shiloh Zahara Maddox Packs, Vivian It's it's not. There's one more boy, twin brother, Vivian, Vivian's twin brother. Give me his name.
Speaker 1: It's Carl really, but it's Hudson.
Speaker 2: But it's not.
Speaker 3: No, it's not, it's it's something proper.
Speaker 2: I just why can't I write like, well, somebody look it up while I read. Britney Spears is a pop singer. Again, thank you whoever wrote this?
Speaker 1: Because was she a singer?
Speaker 2: She's a singer.
Speaker 1: She just did like TikTok videos when she.
Speaker 2: Maddick, it's I said, Maddens. She's a Knox Knocks. It's the one I couldn't think of a Knox.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: Danielle's like, it's a proper name, Knocks, Okay, not Britney Spears, the pop singer Hit Me One More Time. In two thousand and six, Brittany has spotted driving with her infant son on her lap rather than the car seat. She said she did it because of a horrifying, frightful encounter with the paparazzi. Who can name Let's try and name so many Britney Spears songs.
Speaker 3: Oops, I did it again.
Speaker 5: Hit Me Baby one more Time.
Speaker 1: Toxic, Toxic good one.
Speaker 2: It's like we're freezing, We're freezing, slave for you, Play for you. Of course I'm a girl, not yet a woman. Over protected.
Speaker 1: That's a lousy title for a song.
Speaker 2: Remake, But I love rock and roll. But put another dime in the jukebox baby.
Speaker 5: Again, Lucky Me against the music with Madonna, give Me, give Me more.
Speaker 2: Dance until Britney bitch work, bitch, yeah, you gotta work, you gotta work. Did we say Lucky. You said, Lucky is that movie girl?
Speaker 1: She's like, I have no idea what these people are talking about.
Speaker 2: Anyway, good game, Laura talking about I said.
Speaker 1: Already stated is talking.
Speaker 2: About Kay fed Kevin Feederline. They were married for two years and got divorced in November two thousand and six. Angelina had a serious boyfriend for two years from the age of fourteen. Her mother allowed them to live together in her home.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, that's very healthy.
Speaker 2: That if that is true.
Speaker 1: Amy, you've been doing this one thing for like half an hour. It's the longest. It's not saying it ain't great. It's great. Now. What I think we should do is we should justify why we want to read the next one. We have to fight for these.
Speaker 2: To give a reason why.
Speaker 1: I got to give a reason if you want to do these.
Speaker 2: To do these, you're the only one that can do the next one because the rest of I'm not going to it's.
Speaker 1: Not going to mean right, I'll do it. Kirk is sitting at the counter, looks they're admiring his newspaper at Kirk, sure, it's only newsprint. It rips easily, it comes off on your fingers. The next day people used to wrap fish. But hey, it's how Dickens got started. Luke uh in one hands, kirk Man, this thing really flows vintage, Dynette said, for Micah barely chipped price to move. It's precise efficient, Hemingway esque in it, in its terse simplicity. Charles Dickens was an English novelist the Victorian ERAa, whose notable works include The Pickwick Papers, All Over, Twist to Christmas, Carol, and Tell Two Cities. Ernest Hemingway was an American novelist with many famous quotes that maybe Kirk is referencing A couple of them are. Courage is great under pressure. The world breaks everyone, and afterward many are strong in the broken places, and every man's life ends the same way. Did you know Ernest Hemingway survived back to back plane crashes one day apart. After surviving the second crash, journalists who already reported his death, so he got to read his own obituary. That is a wild and wacky story. All right, who wants to do the next one? I'll do this one, will fight for it. I mean, have you ever met Dave Navarro who wants to fight me? I met Dave Navarro a couple times.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, I've met Dave. But you can have it, Susanne.
Speaker 1: I'll give it all right, you know what, Susanne? Go ahead?
Speaker 4: Okay. Laurla is helping Lane understand that you can't decide what your kids are interested in. Laura says, you don't know what your kids are gonna want. You think your mom thought she was going to get a kid who loved Jane's Addiction. Jane's Addiction is a rock band from Los Angeles. Formed in nineteen eighty five. The band consists of Perry Ferrell, Dave Navarro, Stephen Perkins, and Eric Avery. Did you know the band's name comes from Jane Bainter, Perry Ferrell's housemaid, who inspired the band. Farrell's girlfriend suggested the name Jane's heroin Experience, but Farrell thought it.
Speaker 2: Was too vague.
Speaker 1: It's the sad changed, you know. They reformed there they're out performing again. I think they're touring again.
Speaker 2: I hate to be a ball hog, but can I do this one too?
Speaker 1: Because I ask the ball to Amy who's in her bed, thank you, because this is a this holds a special place in my heart?
Speaker 2: Or is telling Logan who is in her bed, her plan to go for her coffee interview to straight from the coffee interview to Lane's baby shower. Okay, I'll just come home, grab an outfit and we'll go. I'm going to need you to dry because I have to change in the backseat. Dirty dancing style. Dirty Dancing is in nineteen eighty seven film starring the wonderful iconic.
Speaker 1: The Great I was good at Yes, I was gonna.
Speaker 2: Actrick Swayzy and I also love this lady, Jennifer Gray. Let me give you she's really cool. She's really, really nice and I used to see her around at the Brentwood Country Mark.
Speaker 1: She did a series called h Episode. It's like you know, I did an episode of that. Yeah, she was.
Speaker 2: Cool, She's cute, and uh, let me tell you the best line in all of Dirty Dancing. I carried a watermelon. I carried a watermelon. I cared like it's so good. As Suzanne talked about in our last episode starring Kelly Bishop as babies mother, she gets it from me. I mean right, she gets it from me. Did you know? Patrick Swayzey had to convince Jennifer Gray to be in the film because she disliked him so much while filming Red Dawn in nineteen eighty four. I believe Jennifer Gray is developing a new dirty dancing. I am feeling quite sure about that.
Speaker 5: M okay, So April can't imagine Luke in Florida or Disney World. Neither can I? April says, I don't know. Riding roller coaster is getting your picture taken with Mickey Mouse. I'm just having trouble picturing it. Luke says, yeah. Well. Mickey Mouse is the cartoon character created by Walt Disney and I Works in nineteen twenty eight, and he is the longtime mascot of the Walt Disney Company and was created as a replacement for a prior Disney character, Oswald and did you know? In nineteen seventy eight, Mickey Mouse was the first cartoon character to have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Are there any other characters who have stars?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think Donald has a star, Donald Duck, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Was right, Donald and Minnie and Minny and Kermit the Frog.
Speaker 1: It was a lot. I take a pack.
Speaker 2: Who can do the best Kermit the Frog here?
Speaker 1: I have the little problems.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Is that is that what you're talking about? Is that Kermit?
Speaker 4: No that, I don't know what that was?
Speaker 1: Kermit the frog? He talks like this, right, doesn't talk like that.
Speaker 3: Laurla I rushes Lane and missed him to the hospital thinking she is in labor, but she ends up being on bed rest. Laurel I says, just think of this as one long, lazy Sunday. Zach says, yeah, babe. Plus, you get to eat all your mules on trees. That's pretty cool, And I'm going to hang out with you, just like John and Yoko. How did I do?
Speaker 5: Nail?
Speaker 1: I tried.
Speaker 3: John Legend and Yoko Ono have one of the most famous love stories in pop culture history. John Lennon was a member of the Beatles, while Yoko Ono was an artist and peace activist. Did you know They first met in London in nineteen sixty six when John Lennon stopped by Yoko ono solo exhibit. Soon after, they began an affair, which prompted Lenin to leave his first wife and their five year old son.
Speaker 1: What a guy, What a guy?
Speaker 3: What a guy?
Speaker 1: What a guy? Laurlai checks in on Miss Patty, who was helping, among many others, set up for Lane's baby, showing Miss Patty adorable. There's nothing cuter than a baby in a onesie, except, of course, Anthony Quinn in a onesie. LURLEI, I'll take your word for it. My centiment is exactly. I didn't really want that image in my head in this episode. Put that image in my head. Anthony Quinn was a Mexican American actor who is known for his role in Zorb the Greek and Lawrence of Arabia. He won two Oscars in his career. He was also a prolific artist, concentrating that at the after he retired from acting, and some of his pieces sold for huge sums. And I think they still do his sculptures in his paintings. Did you know Anthony Quinn has twelve only twelve children, and was eighty one years old when his youngest son was born.
Speaker 2: Okay, when is Hubba Hubba in Practical Magic? I wonder if he'll be back for the sequet for.
Speaker 1: The second one?
Speaker 2: Who Who Aiden Quinn? So that's antheer?
Speaker 1: Is that one of his kids?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Aiden, and he's hot? He was.
Speaker 1: Aiden Quinn is one of Anthony Quinn's kids. Are you sure about that right?
Speaker 2: No, not at all. I just assumed.
Speaker 1: No, he's not. I don't think he is. He's not. I think wrong.
Speaker 2: You're right, his father's Michael Quinn. Well what I've been living my life fifty years not knowing this.
Speaker 1: Right now, you can make that adjustice.
Speaker 2: Assuming the entire time they were related.
Speaker 1: How many dreams have you had about Aid and Quinn? I want to know now, I'm.
Speaker 2: Like one or two?
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, there's some competition up there.
Speaker 4: All right, I'm gonna do this one.
Speaker 1: Grab girl, yes, ma'am, yeah, get out of her way.
Speaker 4: Lane's bed is being pushed through stars Hollow, and Lane says, mom, I'm fine. Hey, this is fun, don't they push a bed through the sheet through the streets In the opening credits of The Monkeys, and Zach says, I'm pretty sure it was a bathtub, which, of course, then Laura Lai has to correct him. Anyways, The Monkeys was a sitcom that follows the adventures of four men trying to make a name for themselves as a rock and roll band. The band consisted of Mickey Dolans, Davy Jones, Michael Nesmyth, and Peter Tork. Did you know Mickey Dolan's is the only living member of the Monkeys and is still touring playing the Monkey's music. He has upcoming summer shows in Samuel's Obispo, Monterey and Sacramento.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 4: I was at Michael Nesmyth's last show, like really yeah, like three weeks before he died.
Speaker 2: They played at the Greek.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, was it good? Was it great?
Speaker 4: It was awesome?
Speaker 1: It was amazing?
Speaker 5: And a lie.
Speaker 2: On that note, I have an email from Alan Thick that I can't seem to delete. I'll never delete it. What Alan Thick emailed me? And then he passed away, and I just will never delete the email. Keep it there.
Speaker 4: I was like, allan't think emailed you about the Monkeys?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: Sorry?
Speaker 5: Is it?
Speaker 3: You said?
Speaker 1: Alan?
Speaker 2: But I thought of Robin.
Speaker 5: I was like, why do the email? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Another one of your dreams, huh.
Speaker 2: Alan Thick? Robin Thick? Yeah, but Alan think. I don't think I dreamed about Alan her Cameron for sure.
Speaker 1: M hm, who's going to do the next one? Oh that's that's me, No, that's David Bowie. Back off, all right. The ones at Lane Shower features an album I didn't mean to be so rude, but I'm sorry. The album artwork for David Bowie's Aladdin Sane, made by Gil. Aladdin Saying is the sixth studio album by David Bowie. The name is a pun on a lad Insane and it was inspired by Bowie's half brother Terry, who had been diagnosed as a schizophrenic. I did not know that, did you know? Rather than continue the Siggy start as character directly, David Bowie created a new persona Alat Insane, which reflected the theme of Ziggy Goes to America. After seeing Gills David Bowie one zie, Miss Patty makes a comment about rock and roll Miss Patty Dean Martin singing Mambo Italiano, which I actually heard last night during Dinnerbo. Yes, yeah, it came on last night. I will never forget it. Mambo Italiano is a song written by Bob Merrill in nineteen fifty four for Rosemary Clooney, George's aunt Rosemary. Dean Martin covered the song in nineteen fifty five. Did you know? Dean Martin had a fear of elevators and a love of comic books, which he related.
Speaker 3: To Amy Sugarman.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this his entire life. Hmmm, well there you go.
Speaker 5: So Lulu messed up her onesie, but LORIAI tells her on the rest of the table, there are no do overs.
Speaker 2: Babet says, yeah.
Speaker 5: I tried to make Snoopy. Figured he's easy to draw, and what kid doesn't like Snoopy?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 5: Plus as the added bonus, he's black and white and the ones he's already white, so I only got to add the black. Snoopy is a fictional character in the comic strip Peanuts by Charles Schultz. He can also be found in the Peanuts films and television specials, and did you know Charles Schultz's dog Spike influenced Snoopy.
Speaker 4: Lane is talking to Rory about loura I making peace between her and her mom, and Lane says, you didn't hear about the fight me and my mom. Classic Kim family grudgefest. If not for your mother and we might have gone the way or Pretty Girls Make Graves. They were so young and had so many killer albums left in them. Pretty Girl Makes Graves is a Seattle Post hardcore band that were together from two thousand and one to two thousand and six and made three albums. They are named after the Smith's song of the same name. Did you know this year they are back together and are planning a concert in Seattle for September.
Speaker 2: Tells Lorlai, he bought Luke's boat. Yeah, she needs a little more work before she's seaworthy, but as soon as she is, I'll take you out. You can be Ginger to Lulu's Marianne, let's lockdown dates? Now, when are you free? I mean that is very funny. Ginger and Marianne are two characters played by Tina Louise as Ginger and Don Wells as mary Anne from Gilligan's Island? Did you know? Don and Tina were rumored to not get along. Don revealed in twenty twenty before her death that Tina distanced herself from the cast when Gilligan's Island ended in nineteen sixty seven. Would you rather be Ginger or Mary Anne? What do you consider yourself? Peeps? I'd like to conserve myself a combo.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna recuse myself from that one.
Speaker 2: You more of a Skipper or are you more a Thurst? And hel the third? Let me try and name them all gill again, Skipper, Ginger, the move Star the Professor ran Mary.
Speaker 1: All Right, that's gonna wrap it up here, folks, for this rollicking episode of pop culture. We will see you next time. Keep the cards and letters coming. Thank you, ladies so much. I remember we and I am all In and stay safe everyone, June, hey, everybody, and don't forget. Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In Podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com