Speaker 1: To on the move, going Deep, Speedless past Hell. From the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex.
Speaker 2: This is Drivetime with Travis Wingfield.
Speaker 1: He's got my hands in the playoffs? What is up Dolphins? And welcome to the Draft Time Podcast. I am your host, Travis Wingfield. And on today's show, the penultimate divisional preview episode, the last one before we get to our own division, and we go to the East on the other side of the league in the NFC Crazy Division with a very clear line of demarcation, although that might have been moved up one team this offseason. We'll break down all of that, what the Dolphins can learn from the Cowboys and Eagles, and what's next for.
Speaker 2: Washington and the dream Man. Plus one of.
Speaker 1: My favorite player chats from media Day from the International Pathway Player program. Bayon Matos is here and what a character he is. From the Baptist Hell Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex.
Speaker 2: This is.
Speaker 1: The Draft Time Podcast. May you kick it off with the division champion from a season to go? Although the more you go over the Dallas Cowboys off season, it sure feels like they shouldn't be in this perch. Atop the NFC East. They were twelve and five last year, one and done after winning the division. After a nice comeback in the NFC East, and this, I mean, quite frankly is the NFC Dolphins, and everyone listening to this show kind of gets that right. Elite offense directed by a stellar quarterback and arguably the game's top wide receiver, although we know our guy probably is the top one depth across the skill groups, a damn good defense that complements the offense, but just cannot get over that January hump. Now they did get over the divisional hump, leading most to believe they'd finally capture that elusive playoff win and progress through the NFC and perhaps to their first conference title game since the Super Bowl runs of those mid nineties teams that I grew up on. Five regular season losses, all on the road at the Cardinals, one of the biggest upsets in the NFL last year, at the Niners forty two to ten, at the Eagles at Buffalo thirty one to ten, and then of course a Jason Sanders buzzer beater down here, and then a home loss to the Packers forty eight to thirty two. With that game was actually forty eight to sixteen with like five minutes to play in the fourth quarter, a total thrashing at the hands of the Dallas Cowboys. Brian Schottenheimer is back, but there is massive turnover elsewhere, including at the defensive coordinator position. In fact, I believe it's an upgrade with Mike Zimmer and the personnel.
Speaker 2: Upheaval has been fast.
Speaker 1: Plus they've not been their usual busy self bringing in prize gems and free agency or trades. So there's some consternation in Big d around one of the best rosters they've had since the des Caught It days or maybe even I don't know that Romo's first days in Dallas. It's been a long time, and so into a new season we go, and speaking of not making any prized moves, I mean, this is the list of significant additions for the Dallas Cowboys. Zeke Elliott, they just said goodbye to him last year. Eric Kendricks, he's on his third team in three years. And Tyler Geiton was probably a developmental tackle taken in the first round out of Oklahoma on the way out. Oh Buddy, Tony Pollard's gone. Michael Gallup has gone, Tyron Smith after a Hall of Fame career in Dallas has gone, Tyler Baddish has gone, Dorence Armstrong, Dante Fowler, Jonathan Hankins, Neville Gallamore, Stefan Gilmour, jy Ron Curse, and Layton vander esh retired. That is a significant group of names. So what does this team do well, Well, it's tough to know when they have that much turnover, but we do know the offensive corps is largely together and they anticipate and throw on time footballs out of breaks. That marries up with their run action and action game as well as anybody in the NFL, and Tua and Tyreek are probably the only ones on the same level or better I'd say better then Dak and CD on these particular types of plays. They also have a diversity of offensive weapons. Despite the losses, they still have Brandon Cooks, who I think he got drafted in twenty fourteen. I think he might be the most underrated player or under talked about player, and his being traded all over the NFL doesn't help this case that we don't talk about that much over the last decade in the NFL. I think Jalen Tobert can play, Jake Ferguson's a total baller, and Luke scoon Maker is coming along at tight end as well. They do take away the football quite well, and I don't think that will change with Mike zimmer into In fact, I think he could take them to a different level with his ability to create pressures and simulated pressures from fire zones and different games they want to run up front. But it's tough to pinpoint what this team does well with all this turnover outside of that offensive core in that passing game. Because the running game, I mean, that's where I start with the fatal flaw of this run. Can the offense survive what to me looks like a completely lifeless running game, because I don't think going back to Zeke, who is slow as hell in this stage of his career and relying on a scat back. Induce Vaughan, who I like for that role, but he's more of like basically what Devon h Chan was last year, like one hundred carries, right, I can't give him more than that. I'm just not sure it works the same, especially when you consider what's next in the fatal flawless no More. Tyron Smith no more, Tyler Biadish and Beatis was okay, and Smith was often out of the lineup, but again I thought Geiton was a developmental tackle in the first round. Zach Martin's another year older, but he's still a great player. But this team had like the O line in the NFL for so long, right, but it's kind of deteriorated now to where there's actual question marks up and down that group. What else do they not do very well? And this was as much schematically and like philosophically an issue as it was personnel stuff last year. But they couldn't stop the run all year long. I mentioned this in the Gallimore coverage this offseason. They just seemed to put square pegs in round holes. And again that the DC has changed, and in fact that DC is now a head coach. But they so frequently played undersized in the box, and that's gonna have to change. And Mike Zimmer's more of kind of that old school big body like football is a physical game type of coach, so I think that will change. But they built this thing around that style with Demone Clark is one of the top linebackers who was a safety. I can't was at Marquise Bell, the guy they kept bringing down from safety to play like a quasi linebacker role. They're running like two hundred pound linebackers out there behind three hundred pound nose tackles. They're just giving up weight voluntarily. In a game, it's all about size and mass and moving people off the spot. So some interesting things about this team are biggest story lines. It seems like every year the head coach of the Cowboys is on the hot seat, no matter what accomplishment or who it is. But Mike McCarthy, pretty much since he was hired, it was like, you need to go win playoff games or else we're going to figure out something else. And last year's end of the season was not acceptable. You can't lose at home in the playoffs. You can't lose at home in the playoffs by essentially like four or five scores. I know it got closer in the end with garbage time, but what does he do, Like, what does Mike McCarthy do well that sets him apart from the rest of You know, they had the offensive change, and sure enough, the Cowboys offense was good, but it was also good under Kellen Moore of the year prior so I don't know. I feel like it's probably the last the last rodeo unless they surprise people and make a deep run this year. Otherwise, how the hell do they replace all the roster upheaval? Like this is not a usual Dallas Cowboys offseason. Maybe it's for the best in terms of not spending you know, above board on free agents, but I think that's basically a result of having to pay their own guys, which that's the third storyline here. They haven't done that yet with Dak Prescott or Cdee Lamb, who they have to bring back.
Speaker 2: They absolutely have to.
Speaker 1: I'm sure it gets resolved before you play a game, but it's on the list for now. My final roster thoughts for the Dallas Cowboys in twenty twenty four. They're still plenty of like here. The quarterback and the weapons are very good, even if receiver is much thinner than it has been in the past. But losing a couple guys this offseason and the running back positions they total wild card and saying wild card is probably just being nice because quite frankly, I think it's the worst room in the National Football League. The line has legit questions for the first time in a while, and nobody lost more pass rushers than the Dallas Cowboys did. They do still have Michael Parsons, who is the best football player I've ever studied for a Dolphins game, Aaron Donald notwithstanding back when we watched them in twenty twenty ahead of Twoa's first career start, and DeMarcus Lawrence is still doing it. I don't think they really resolve their defensive tackle issue. Is Mazzie Smith gonna kick back out to a three technique where he's best ors he playing the nose tackle again where he's kind of undersized. They get Trayvon Digs back from the injury, but there's no way Deron Bland can repeat a five pick six season again, right, So it's like you kind of have to expect a regression to the mean there with his individual performance and what else they have in that secondary actually is pretty damn good. I like Molik Hooker a heck of a lot.
Speaker 2: Excuse me.
Speaker 1: They brought back Jordan Lewis, which I thought was just a massive move, one of the better slots in the entire NFL. Donovan Wilson, Marquispell, gary On Conley, some players that can factor in some playing time there and some guys I like their game quite a lot. What can they tell with the Miami Dolphins, Well, up until this offseason, I thought you could basically hold up a mirror to this team and see your own reflection on the other side. I think this is one of the biggest regression candidates in the league. But despite all of that, it's funny because regression typically comes when the quarterback gets hurt, or they move on from the quarterback, or he falls off into the abyss, and I don't think that's going to happen with Dak Prescott.
Speaker 2: But this team was.
Speaker 1: Good last year, but you could see flaws, and I think a lot of those flaws were picked apart even further previously. You could chalk up, you know, how a couple of bad bounces could drastically alter the narrative around your football team, which I think happens all the time in this league, and teams get misrepresented as a result of that. And they were this close to knocking off the Niners in the playoffs two years ago, after which I think people forget. They did quell the narrative with a blowout win over the Tom Brady Bucks albeit a very bad football team in that wild card round on the road too, by the way, and the year before that almost beat the Niners team at home, albeit that the Shanahan and McDaniel Niners that they all beat but lost because they couldn't get the ball clocked at the end of the game. A team that has been a consistent NF contender, and that's who they lost to two years ago as well, so or three years ago as well. So they just they never did it, and now they have to carry that baggage into a tough offseason. I don't think it matters at all, but gosh, I would love for us to get a couple of wins under our belt to avoid this exact fate in terms of how we're perceived across the National Football League. Second team up today is a team that I'm gonna go ahead and spoil the ending for you all right now, that I'm gonna pick to win the division. Not much of a surprise here. I think it's the one really good team the division, the Philadelphia Eagles, who finished eleven and six last year, second in the division. They lost in the wild card round thirty two to nine to the Buccaneers, I remember texting my buddy JT, who worked here in the video department, who has since left to Baltimore, best of luck in the Queen City there, JT. But he's a diehard Eagles fan that I was texting him like, I think you guys are gonna get a great break here by the Rams pulling off the upset over the Lions in Detroit, and then the Eagles beat the Bucks on the road, and all of a sudden you have a second round home playoff game against the Rams. And of course neither of those worked out because I did not foresee the Eagles collapse coming at all.
Speaker 2: I don't think anybody did.
Speaker 1: First of all, from ten to one, from ten to one to six losses in seven games, including games at Seattle without Geno Smith and Drew Locke starting that football game home for the five win Cardinals at the Tommy DeVito Giants, and of course that was a rest game, so I don't really put too much stock into it. But then also three blowouts Dallas, San Francisco and a playoff game against the Buccaneers, Like really remember when they beat the Chiefs on Monday night football and that was a big win for US. Because we were trying to kind of pace with the Chiefs for a top seeding at the time. Then that overtime thriller over Buffalo that I felt was like what gave us the AFC East. Of course, the Titans lost change that, but they get back to back wins over the Chiefs and Bills to climb the ten and one and back to back weeks the Super Bowl seemed like the only outcome that was there for this team. Instead, it's one of the biggest collapses in the history of the National Football League, and nobody seemed to have any answers for it. Offense was broken, they lost their surge in the running game, they lost their edge on defense. Just a super, super strange departure from what we knew about this team through Thanksgiving. I mean, talk about December collapses.
Speaker 2: My god. They didn't win a game.
Speaker 1: After that except for the season finale against the or No who they beat they beat, like I think they beat the Giants in like Week fifteen is what it was. Big moves coming in. Saquon Barkley is the biggest of all of them, I think in terms of his ability, but Bryce Huff is the one that I'm most excited about they bring back Chauncey Gardner Johnson after a one year hiatus in Detroit. Matt Hennessy was a former high pick of the Falcons. He's now in the middle there, trying to replace Jason Kelsey forgot his name forero point three seconds. Zach Bond another first round I used to like a lot from the Saints. Devin White trying to resurrect his career. So was Makai Becton, and then their first two picks Quinn and Mitchell and Cooper dejen Man. That's a nice haul of defensive backs on the way out of Vante Max is a nice slot player for them. Kevin byered a trade deadline acquisition that did not work out. Jack driscoll is here. Suwa Opetta went to the Bucks the offensive lineman. They lost two running backs, DeAndre Swift in Boston Scott and they also saw Marcus Mariota leave in division like Donathan McNabb once upon time to the team in Washington. What they do well they add hats in the running game. And they can do that because the quarterback can run the football. They can do that because they can add tight ends to the formation and run the ball from heavy alignments, but also incorporate a vertical game in the passing game. Off of that, the mix of power run game and ability to get vertical from any position from whether it's a nasty split in close to the formation or a plus split out wide, really defines the idea of forcing the defense into uncomfortable personnel groupings from which they have to defend the entire field, which is really challenging, especially in today's NFL. They also are a short yardage guarantee right that didn't go away. The brotherly shove is still there. They have a quarterback that can power a lift like six hundred pounds or squad or whatever the hell you call it, and that helps them in a big way. But can they do it without Jason Kelsey being there. I'm curious to see that they rush the quarterback. That never seems to change. They always have multiple Bowls's in the chamber there to go after quarterbacks. I think they got even better with Bryce Huff replacing Hassan Reddick, who is kind of like on hiatus for the New York Jets. I think they got way better down the middle with n Kobe Dean coming back trying to kind of resurrect the career of Devin White, which we'll see how that works out. Drafting Jeremiah Trotter's boy junior as it were, and also bringing back CJGJ and by the way, corner was a big issue for them, but I think now it's a strength because they got my favorite corner the entire drafting, Quinian Mitchell and rookies playing cornerback can be a dicey prospect, but I think he has the best ability to do that. And then Cooper Dejen who I think is a total playmaker in the defense who can kind of help them mix and match. Their defensive backfield is so dynamic now with both he and Chauncey Gardner Johnson, who can really take that thing to the next level. What's the concern or a fatal flaw on this football team? Their ability to be on time and rhythm and short intermediate passing games so weird because that was such a part of what made me personally not love Galen Hurts his game out of college, but he developed it and got better at it because he's a I go hard worker who just gets better. But we kind of saw revert back last year and he had this pinch it to kind of, you know, bail on clean pockets. And if you don't have the ability to stay on schedule with the short intermediate passing game, then you can't build your vertical passing game off that. You can't run the football off of that, and the offense as a result became a shell of its former self.
Speaker 2: Can they bounce back from that?
Speaker 1: We'll find out also what is the offensive identity because they kind of became Wanstead's Dolphins last year. Run run, and then pass when you have to on third down, which is why passing numbers were what they were back in the you know, before the shift of NFL football because every passing, every throw was basically third and eight plus and quarterbacks it's tough to complete footballs into seven man coverages when they're playing, you know, off off the line like that. You'll just never make a living in the NFL playing run, run, pass. And then do they have the fortitude to get over the ending of the season or getting back to what made them great because they became a shell of themselves. And I think that's reflection of the head coach and the rest of the entire program there, and it's all still in tact. Curious to see about that. Now, interesting things about them. Our biggest storylines is Nick sirianni As is as accomplished as they come from a head coaching standpoint, like he's basically got that team into surprise playoff berth their first year.
Speaker 2: They ran rough.
Speaker 1: Shot over the league and route to a Super Bowl loss two years ago, and then last year we're ten to one and now they finally face their first bit of adversity under him. And yet they have new coordinators on either side, which I said that was more of the same. I'm talking about the you know, the GM head coach. They brought a new coordinator, so he kind of has to deliver this year because even if if it goes wrong, like do do you scapegoat the cornetors once again? And even though I disagree with that, that market's going to roast him alive if they don't make the postseason and a run on top of that. So Kellen Moore is the new OC, and he went from head coaching candidate to his third team in three years and it hasn't really worked out for him. I am super curious to see how he constructs his third new offense with entirely different style of quarterback, like going from Dak to Herbert, totally different. Right, One is a polished professional quarterback, one is a lively arm who's got talent but not much else. And then the third is now this guy that's you know, more running than he is passing at this stage of his career, but an ultimate character and leader as well. So just a really interesting dynamic there with Kellen Moore coming over. And of course the final thing I look at here is what does Vic Fangio do to the defense. I hope he, you know, is as conceded and kind of on his own, you know, personal mission as he was here with Philadelphia, but we'll find out he has lots of talent to work with there. With the Eagles final roster thoughts, look, I talked about Jalen Hurts that are a little bit, but I'm still a big fan of his. I think he needs for the development from how he plays from the pocket. I think that AJ Brown and DeVante Smith is the only twosome I'd put close to Reek and Waddle, and then adding Saquon Barkley is so special. Their special explosion to an offense that needs a weapon back there in the worst way. They were always kind of like by committee. I just I like the idea of having, you know, a true talent back there next to a true talent quarterback because it's kind like Lamar Jackson, where you get the most of Lamar's running ability when you have a running back that can threaten defense is in a similar way. And then also, how do you not love Dallas Gotter is another go to guy. Beyond that a little bit thin, I think the offensive line is still pretty good and you just watched just you watch. They're gonna get Mackay Beckton playing up to his draft stock here or draft status here before you know it. I think this defense is still crazy talented again. I expect Huff to make a huge impact and help them get the most out of both Jalen Carter and Jordan Davis.
Speaker 2: Inside.
Speaker 1: Milton Williams one of the best defensive tackles you never heard of. I think there's plenty of pass rush. We discussed the secondary. It's an impressive roster. I've always been a big fan of Howie Roseman, how he approaches things, and he talked about this about how they didn't anticipate this year's draft class being that great, and so they went out and a signed a bunch of teams practice squad players in the last year. They just have this certain forethought that I think puts them ahead of the rest of the league in a lot of respects. What can they tell us with the Miami Dolphins that one stretch of games doesn't have to be what defines you much less one game? Right?
Speaker 2: We talk about that every week in the NFL.
Speaker 1: I'd be shocked if the Eagles are not right back up atop this division, but also back on top of the NFC in terms of biggest challengers to the Lions and the Niners in the conference this year. Let's go ahead and take our first break right there. Come back on the other side, and welcome in my guest Bydon Matos, the Dolphins offensive lineman from the International Pathway Program.
Speaker 2: You don't want to miss that. He is a character and a half.
Speaker 1: That's next Draft Time Podcast to your host, Travis Wingfield, brought to you by automation. What up Dolphins? Travis Wingfield here on the Draft Time Podcast. My guest today is new Dolphins tackle by On Mattos.
Speaker 2: I get it. We good to go. Okay, we want to start back over.
Speaker 1: I was really worried about gett your name wrong there, So thanks for hanging with me tough here. First of all, how's it going, man? It's a kind of probably a little bit of a tidal wave of just new stuff for you here joining the Dolphins and getting innudated with everything.
Speaker 2: How's it been going?
Speaker 3: Man? I thank you so much, you know, for I mean here today anytime, and man, it's been great.
Speaker 4: It's been great.
Speaker 3: Let you know, a great opportunity, you know, take advantage of every moment that I hear in the building around this great organization and great people.
Speaker 4: Man, its been great.
Speaker 1: So football is a little bit new, not super new, but a little bit. I'm curious how much you were exposed to football as a child growing up the Dominican Republic.
Speaker 4: Zero?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you know, I played football back back when I'm from It was like baseball player and basketball players most of the time. So man, zero zero back around and food, But I never never know the sport, only to see in movies and like TV shows back at home.
Speaker 4: But that's like nothing.
Speaker 1: So you're watching like the blind Side, Michael, or does this work on those?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean so many baseball players come from there. Right, So you mentioned that my favorite player, I am a marriage fans of Julio Rodriguez go in that's my guy. But you mentioned basketball too, and you played a lot of hoop coming up to right when you start playing basketball?
Speaker 3: Well, I stopped playing basketball as I was a key, so I played basketball and baseball together. And I had an opportunity to come to the state to be able to go to high school here when a high school channel with Tinnessee. And after that I got opportunity to go to the League one college to play to play basketball.
Speaker 2: And then they got you on the football team too, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I went to Unity of Mexican on my first one year try for two, University of South Florida. And when I was at Florida, that's well, all the MINIU start happened. The coaches to see me in like in the team meeting room everywhere like that guy. Yeah, usually play some foodball. Come on, man, let's give you a try.
Speaker 2: That's too funny.
Speaker 1: I remember like in high school they would all the coaches would always try to recruit, uh, you know, different players in different sports. But like that's an obvious one like, let's get that guy in some shoulder pads and see what he can do. What was that like the first time you threw on paths and went and tried to block somebody had to have been tough man, like a brand new sport.
Speaker 3: So well, pretty much when I was when I was played in hos Cap in college, I played defensive line, so I played the end and special team. So I remember my first time and my first day in the building. I used if they put me past and harm first day in I remember I put my my past like outside.
Speaker 4: Like Southway, so and I remember the helmet.
Speaker 3: I don't know how to take it off, so I used to leave it on the whole practice. I never think it was the moment I walked there to the moment I need somebody to help me, said it was tough.
Speaker 2: That's too good man. You're just sitting there. But out here you have to get it off so you can get a little bit of aerror.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, needed some bread.
Speaker 2: In humidity, right, But you're I mean it's pretty warm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm from Dominican. Probably I went to school in time past. It's pretty much the same.
Speaker 2: So you're used to it. I guess you kind of get used to it, but maybe not really. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think it's hot as hell all the time, but maybe you just you just deal with it better. How So, in in your basketball career and making that transition, I always love to ask multi sport athletes is how do you think basketball helped you and your football skill set?
Speaker 3: It happened a lot of ways because I played system like you know, it would have be able to move sideways, you know, to move back like up and down with the wrong you know, I would have moved your fee to the transition live very good to football.
Speaker 4: So that's great. But man, but food is a different sport.
Speaker 3: Like you know, when you when you when you watch it for the basketballs prepared to preparestor you'll be like, oh yeah, I can't play football, but.
Speaker 2: The way around not so much.
Speaker 3: You don't know, you're not inside, like the deep deep inside. So a lot of basketball guys like even me, you know, I can easy sport, but man, nothing around here.
Speaker 2: Not quite. What was that first moment of like real contact for you? Did you?
Speaker 1: I mean, you're here, so you had to kind of like it a little bit right, Like you probably gravitated towards the contact of football, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well the team was that. I remember the first time real contact low. I remember I got here in my block sign I blend deficient and then motioned the tight end tight end by onto the other side.
Speaker 4: I said, man, I love this. I love the moment. I was the moment that I fell in love.
Speaker 2: With the game came out of basketball court.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I said, I I love it. I have to get up now, let's get it, let's do their game.
Speaker 4: So I love it, I love I love.
Speaker 2: They That's really cool to hear. So I'm curious.
Speaker 1: You know, the International Pathway Program has provided a lot opportunities for players overseas, and we've seen some guys make, you know, their debuts and even some guys turn into massive contracts shortened my lot as a great example of that. I'm curious how familiar you are with with those guys and how important their ability to have this chance.
Speaker 2: How has that been important to.
Speaker 3: You men started off with these The IPP is just something that means a lot to me, and something this like I take it that would be hard, like it's home. You know.
Speaker 4: They give me an.
Speaker 3: Opportunity to step in the NFL team stepping the you know in the NFL field, this gray main see those guys take it to that label even me everything I thought to Jordan, he's my guy to be in the phone a lot of times talking hanging out to Jordan and be like Bir like this is amazing, Like I see what you're doing, like I'm leaving it now and I and that it's not easy. So I see how how deep you had you have to take it, like take it And man's that drive me every day Like I want to get to a level like that, like I wanted to like it. It's the it's like it's awesome, like they're feeling, you know, like you don't know nothing too evil when you're learning and keep pushing and pushing day by day.
Speaker 4: Man, it's amazing.
Speaker 2: That's really cool. Yeah, it's it's Uh.
Speaker 1: It seems to be a common theme from this team as guys have a real desire to get better at this game and try to do you know, do right by the city of Miami and win a championship for the team.
Speaker 2: So it's really cool to have those types of personalities.
Speaker 1: Has it given you any advice as far as like the best ways to get in right away and kind of make your mark. Like what he told you has been a helpful advice for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well he always say that'd be the first one and the last one out.
Speaker 4: That would take a long way. But I don't know what.
Speaker 3: You're doing, but make sure you're doing something to take you get into the next label. It's not to take you get into the next label to help their organization, not to help like why what so what are you doing that can help the Miami Dolphins? And there's this's that's all about, like what I'm doing everytime coming field, what I'm doing to put myself in the best position to be successful and to put myself in the best position to help my team and my teammates.
Speaker 1: That's a good organization wide mantra there. We're all trying to make the best decisions for the Miami Dolphins, just as you are. So one more question here for you back on what do you hope to accomplished the season? What would what would your first year in the NFL a successful one look.
Speaker 2: Like for you?
Speaker 3: Mall loning mons from my guys, loaning for everybody in my room, learning like and like to watch other people do it, you know, like I like to watch the bed and they actually amazing, you know, learning for them so on the once that I came for with the guys that stay around. Hey, man, I want to win a super Bowl in the NFL. Man, that would be amazing, like Frest Stye in the NFL first time win the super Bowl and person, no, go may I want to start to step in the field at this one time in the year, you know, I start stepping there and like, get it. Field play in the NFL and the n NFL game.
Speaker 2: Go knock somebody on their ass.
Speaker 1: Ro oh, yeah, let's get it. Be appreciate man, Thank you so much, Thank you so much, appreciation And there he goes. I told you he was fun. Let's go ahead and take our last break right there, come back on the other side and do our best to get through the final two teams before we go back to the Dolphins and the AFC East. On the next edition of the Draft Time podcast, That's next DT your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by AutoNation. I sort of went through these next two teams quickly, expeditiously, if you will, because I don't think there's a lot to talk about for the new York Giants and the Washington Commands. We start with the GM man six and eleven, third in the NFC East and a regression to the mean. Were a team, it was the twenty twenty three New York Giants, an unlikely run in twenty twenty two to the postseason with a win on the road against the Kirk Cousins led Vikings comes back to earth where that I thought they always kind of belonged. With a six win campaign marred largely by an injury plugs He's into their quarterback, and as we get the special look behind the scenes from them in their off season pursuits on hard Knocks, we see that Daniel Jones is still, for some reason.
Speaker 2: The priority there, even if it.
Speaker 1: Cost him Saquon Barkley in the process. More on that in a moment. They began the season two to eight with wins over the Cardinals and Commanders, and talk about flubbing it up down the stretch, like you could have they picked six. They got Lake Neighbors, but they could have been so much higher and maybe even had to run at Kayleb Williams. But their third and fourth wins were over the Commanders and Patriots. The latter being a ten to seven barnbar that nobody wanted to win. This run included a forty point loss, an eighteen point loss twenty one, fifteen, twenty four, and thirty two point losses.
Speaker 2: They were awful.
Speaker 1: They got a signature win over the Packers on Monday Night football, the same damn night we lost the freaking Titans, and they also lost three more before beating the Eagles backups in the finale. A rough season for a team that reflected that in their roster. I thought the last two years really but we get the actual evidence of who this team is and we'll see what they are this year. With their big moves this offseason. They go get Brian Burns, and we saw some discussion behind, you know, going up to get him in terms of trading draft picks to go get the dynamic pass pressure from Carolina. I think it's a good addition there for what they have in that defensive front. Defense is kind of coming together in some ways, especially upfront. They add Germaine Illuminor to the offensive line. That was kind of the big move. They're kind of expecting progress from somebody like Evan Neil, who's been horrendous his so far in his NFL career. They get Drew Locke, they get Jalen Mill meals Jalen Mills and the Patriots. Jordan Phillips, you guys know him. He is now with the Giants, Alan Robinson and Devin Singletary, Like, this is an offense that is trying to, you know, basically not be the thirty second skill group in the NFL. And those are the moves Robinson and Singletary. Now, don't get me wrong. Malik Neighbors is the big, big, big ad here and he's fantastic, but it's gonna be basically a rookie and Jalen Hyatt trying to get things going for that passing game. Not to mention, Darren Waller has now gone too, and so is Sakuon Barkley. He's out, Ben Bredeson's out, Cam Brown's down here, Xavier McKinney has gone, Throwing Shepherd's gone, Ashawn Robinson, Tyrod Taylor flipped to the team in the Green from the New York and then Jihad Ward also exited stage left.
Speaker 2: What do they do well?
Speaker 1: I have one thing in here because I think they should be able to generate pass rush with four because Burns is elite and requires multiple you know, four set of eyes, two sets of eyes, four eyeballs on him, matth Dexter Lawrence even better than that, and Kavon Thibodeau is a guy that man, it's he's not Evan Neil. For sure, He's more productive and been a better player, but there's kind of like this roller coaster wave that he's on that he has to find a way to get off and become. You know what I thought he was as a freshman at Organ is the next great pass, the next Miles Garrett in the NFL, and there is great speed all over the side level that defense with Bobby o'carake A Zizo Jilari, and then I think Boogie bash him was a guy that could have a nice little breakout year here for the Giants, what's the concern or fatal flaw? I could tell you everything about this team, but they couldn't block anybody last year. They complained about that in Hard Knocks. They have easily to me the worst skill group player a group of skill players, especially when you factor in Saquon Barkley's injuries, and then like, we don't really have to go beyond this because it's been five years and the quarterback hasn't had a good year yet, so what are we doing? You know? And then the secondary struggled last year and got worse, losing his Zabra McKinney. That guy's a freaking stud and now he's gone too. So I just I don't know. I don't see it interesting things about this team biggest storylines. Just seems like such an obvious team candidate for a massive overhaul next offseason. And even though I think Dave Ball's a good football coach, head coaches don't usually survive that, which is a shame because he never got to choose his own quarterback. Like, if it goes the way I think it's gonna go this year, he goes down swinging with three years of Daniel Owns, like, woo, you freaking do. And then also there's a lot of talent in that front seven, and Malik Neighbors is a guy that I think you can build an offense around, and so if it goes the way I think it will, they're not gonna win a bunch of games. It could become and it's the New York freaking Giants, right, and a very attractive destination for a head coach and perhaps a high draft pick, But then which court you want? Carson Beck cam Ward's the guy I would take. But if you don't get the first overall pick, he probably don't get an optional to the guy like that final roster thoughts. I just don't know what the calling card is here or the plan really. I mean, they say as much and hard knocks that you don't pay a forty million dollars quarterback to hand it off to a twelve million dollar running back. But the issue at that statement starts with the production of the forty million dollar quarterback who's throwing sixty two touchdowns forty picks. And let me go ahead and get in close to the microphones for you here forty six career fumbles. That is a potential for eighty six giveaways compared to sixty two touchdowns over five years. He's got a career six point three yards per attempt, eighty five point two passer rating. I remember when I was doing lockdown coverage back in twenty nineteen, I was fighting everybody online about how good Kyler Murray was and how terrible Daniel Jones was.
Speaker 2: And Kyler's a good player. I think he's the top twelve quarterback.
Speaker 1: He's not as good I thought he's gonna be so far, and injuries and coaching and upheaval there has played a factor in as well as his own shortcomings. But Daniel Jones pretty spot on. Guy can't play football. I love the league neighbors, and I think he can carry an offense. But the number two, like who is it? It's is Jalen Hyatt. I suppose Wandell Robinson. I love Andrew Thomas, but Evan Neil has been atrocious at right tackle. We beat him to a drum last year. They haven't done a lot Tequelda concerns about the interior offensive line just like just seems like an offensive will have the exact same issues to me. And then on Dee, I mentioned all the names we love upfront, but I think Deontay Banks is a hit at cornerback, Cordell flock and play a little bit. I like Tyler Nuban in the safety in the second round from Minnesota, but the depth beyond that it's questionable. So this is to me as a candidate for a top five pick next year. What can it tells about the Miami Dolphins. I think there was a lot to glean from both Dallas and Philadelphia. Nothing about the Giants or Commanders can inform us about your Miami Dolphins. Speaking of the Commandos, let's go ahead and do that real quick. Go ahead, and time to start thinking about maybe beginning to you know, as everyone knows, go ahead and take command. If you haven't seen that video, I referenced it all the time here on the show. They when they first signed Carson Wentz a few years back. You know how they do like the hype video like we did with McDaniel when he wass on the plane to Miami talking to TUA. They had Carson Wentz do this like phone take where he tried to like do their hashtag and that was like the best take they had. Like, hey, reshoot it, do it in their take. Maybe don't do it at all, because it was the worst hype video I've ever seen in my entire life. So the Commandos four and thirteen last in the NFC East, and honestly, I thought they were a better team than the Giants last year, and they're better than the record was, especially before that final month of the season when things just went off. The Rails entirely, and you know, they got rid of Jack del Rio, who's a total ding dong, and then Ron Rivera replaced him as a play caller on defense, which was like the lateral move. But somehow I remember we hit that stretch last year for the Dolphins of Raiders, Jets, Commanders, Titans, and I was saying, like the Commanders of the one team this list that I think can threaten us because of their explosiveness on offense and a quarterback who can run a little bit and get hot and create some magic. But it was actually the easiest game we played because we blew them out more than anybody else. But they were also in the midst of a downward spiral at that point. It started earlier. They were actually four and five before a narrow loss to Seattle, then sided losses as the Giants and Cowboys, and the biggest one was to us, and then they didn't win again the rest of the year. So from four and five to four and thirteen nets and the second pick in the draft, a coaching change, a brand new quarterback, and it is cool to see Dan Quinn back in a head coaching position. My former boss here, the late great Jason Jenkins loved him some DQ, and he knew him well from working at various other stops across the national Football lead with d Q, so I just wanted to mention that every time I see Dan Quinn, I always think about Jason Jenkins. Rest in peace, big fellow, big moves here. They brought in Austin Eckler zach Ertz, like what year is a dog? They brought into Tyler Bionis to play center, and Marcus Mariota is a new backup quarterback there. I like the moves On defense though, Dorince Armstrong Dante Fowler is a really nice pass rush duo. Frankie Luvu Go Koogs is like the perfect linebacker fit for this defense. Bobby Wagner, I think is several years past his prime, but that's cool. Jeremy Chin and Tyler Owens is a fun safety combo. And then of course, in the first round of the draft, Jade and Daniels out of LSU by way of Arizona State, which I watched a lot of those ASU games, and I get, we developed, we grow, we progress, but there's a lot of bad tape on this guy. On the way out. A couple of quarterbacks Jacoby Brissett and Sam Howell. I still think Sam Howe can play ball. Antonio Gibson exits stage left of the Patriots. Curtis Samuel comes up to Buffalo to stay in the AFC East. Nick Gates also exits Casey two Hill Kendall Fuller is a Miami Dolphin, and Cameron curl also exits.
Speaker 2: That's a lot of talent leaving the building there as well. What do they do well?
Speaker 1: It's always tough to know when you have this amount of turnover, but the entire staff wholesale changes up and down the roster. If we go off Dan Quinn in Dallas and the import of so many cowboys like okay, so it's I guess it's cover three, which is a version of defense and only plays anymore. I think the vision is to play the light boxes they played there and be super athletic and be able to run on defense and play different coverages with different guys playing different spots in those coverages, while also running the football and controlling the game on offense. Does any of this apply to twenty twenty four? I don't think so personally. Now they do have a Playbecker quarterback who I think needs to learn how to play the position at the NFL level, which is a pretty big thing to have to learn how to do. But with weapons they have, I think they'll be able to generate explosive plays down the field. With the quarterback that can do that. What's the concern or the fatal flaw? I mean the whole damn operation, the obligatory quarterback. You know, Ricky quarterback mentioned goes here. I do like the way Jade and Daniels approaches the game. I think will get better and improve as he goes along. It might take some years for this program to come together, but I think he has kind of the right head on his shoulders. I think there could be some growing pains, to put it nicely, with a new skin scheme that is spearheaded by Cliff Kingsbury. He came back, okay, I mean you know they couldn't. He couldn't figure out Kyler Murray in Arizona. How's it going to be indifferent?
Speaker 2: I don't get it.
Speaker 1: The coverage in the back end was way way too much to overcome last year to kind of negate what was a decent pass rush despite trading off some key parts and I don't think it got any better this offseason. Some interesting things or storylines about them. I can't wait to watch Daydon Daniels play. I've I've always thought they had good playmakers. Even with Curtis Samuel Gone. I think he matches what they have on offense, but I still have a lot of questions about his game. Kingsbury's return it fascinates me. It wasn't good the first time around. I don't expect to see why it changes. Dan Quinn back in the head coaching chair, but is his you know, kind of antiquated view on things, is that going to be too much to overcome new ownership? Like Commander's fans kind of had a moment last year where it's like, oh, we got freaking Dan Steyer's finally gone. We got rid of all this bad juju. But it's it kind of looks like more of the same outside of being a horrible human being, right, and then just a lot of new things, Like It's that's always intriguing to me.
Speaker 4: So much.
Speaker 1: New sparks interest in the league. We get a chance to watch the Commanders up close and personal down here for joint practices. The week of August seventeenth is the game final roster thoughts, I think the offseason kind of got them up for you, like a baseline level roster that was non competitive down the stretch by the additions they did make, even though they lost so many guys. I still do think Terry mclaurin's a top ten receiver despite kind of regression last year, and that Johan Dotson Kimball and they have some nice pieces on the offensive line with Lucas Paul who is Pat or sorry Lucas, Cornelius Lucas and Patrick Paul's brother Chris Paul, as well as Andrew Wiley on the offensive line. I like the combination of Deron Payne and Jonathan Allen inside along with Armstrong and Fowler outside. It does suck that Jerson Newton had another surgery because I thought he'd be a fun ad early on. Frankie Luvu go Koog's exactly the defense needed. I also love getting Jeremy Chin on the back end, but who replaces Kendall Fuller Because he's a great player and now he's here, they didn't really replace him. I do think rookie Mike Sandrastill from Michigan can be one of the best slot cornerbacks from the first day he gets on the football field. But last year Manuel Forbes, a healthy, inactive down the stretch who looks like he weighs one hundred and fifty pounds man like, he is tiny, and he was a first round draft pick. Benjamin Saint Juice is an okay player, but beyond that, it's kind of like by low and hope to hit gold across that room. That typically does not work at this level. What can they tell us with the Miami Dolphins, Like I said, the New York Giants, I don't think much entirely different stages of their team building cycle. How about division predictions and superlatives. I just think this division is bad. I think the Cowboys big regression makes it not a very enticing one to watch. It was fun, and the Eagles and Cowboys are going back and forth. You add in the Giants a couple of years ago making a surprise run. But just outside of all that, like, the Eagles to me are a really good looking football team, and then you have a kind of mediocre team who's carried by a great quarterback and receiver and the rest of the roster's kind of bad. And coaching is kind of bad. And then two rosters that are nowhere near close and the superlatives are mostly Cowboys. The best quarterback in the division is Dak Prescott. Best player on offense it's not a quarterback is Cede Lamb. The best player on defense is no question. Michah Parsons. I put Ryan day Ball is the best coach, but I'm kind of defaulting to nobody because I just don't really like it at all.
Speaker 2: In the division, my.
Speaker 1: Favorite rookie is Cooper Degen fantasy sleeper like I wanted to put Ben snott sonnat from the Commanders, the rookie tied ends. I like his game, but I feel like it's too much of a sleeper, and so I'm gonna go with Terry McLaurin. Is that crazy to call him a sleeper after his value appears to have been depressed more than ever has. I think he's one of the best route runs in the National Football League and having somewhat consistency and competency at quarterback could help him get back to that.
Speaker 2: So there you go.
Speaker 1: Fun episode, and that is the end of the non Dolphins divisional previews. On Thursday, Will prev the AFC East and then we'll go ahead and come back. Sorry, this is for Thursday. For Monday will prev the AFC East. Thursday will be the Dolphins Offense Review, Monday the Dolphins Defense Review. And then guess what. Training camp is back and I'm back working six days a week all day long, so break is almost over. Lots of golf ahead for me this week. Go ahead and check me on Instagram if you want to check out my golf swinging my progress there. In the meantime, you all please be sure to subscribe to the Pop podcast on Apple Spotify, where you get your podcast from. Go ahead and leave us a rating and review. Follow me on social at Winkold NFL. The team at Miami Dolphins. Check out the fish Tank podcast with my guy Sethan Juice, the YouTube channel for Dolphins Today, media availabilities, draft time content, and so much more, and last but not least, to Miami Dolphins dot Com. Until next time. Finn's up, camel On Cameron Daddy, He's coming home.