Speaker 1: The volume Draft King sports Book, an official sports betting partner of the NFL, is bringing you yes an offer that will help you win money in the NFL playoffs. New customers, bet five bucks. That's it. Five bucks, that's it, five dollars any game and get two hundred dollars instantly in bonus bets. Are you kidding me? I bet five that's it? Download the Draft Kings sports Book app now. It takes ninety seconds and put in Colin c L I N easy paz. New Customers, five bucks, that's all you have to bet and get two hundred dollars instantly in bonus bets only on the DraftKings sports Book. The code is Colin c LN and the crown is yours. Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler or visit www dot one eight hundred gambler dot net. In New York, call eight seven seven eight Hope n Y or text Hope n Y four six seven three six nine. In Connecticut, help is available for problem gambling. Call eighty eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino and Resorts licensee partner Golden Nugget Lake Charles twenty one plus. Age varies by jurisdiction Voyden, Ontario. Bonus Betts expired one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuance. Sees Sportsbook dot DraftKings dot com, slash Basketball terms for eligibility and deposit restrictions, terms and responsible gaming resources. All right, welcome back. We're gonna get a little weird. To Part two of the Colin Coward Podcast with my buddy Nick Wright. Kevin Durant said something this week, and I don't think he was aware of it. And my first takeaway is, and I like Kevin Durant a lot, but he said, why am I not in the goat conversation? And it's easy to see that as narcissism. But what Michael and Lebron have in common and Kobe do a large degree, they were business people. They saw basketball structurally, they took opportunities about with it. Coaching, they befriended the right agents, the right coaches, the right owners or you know. And Kobe was very close to bus or or and later they saw it structurally. There was a structural component. Kevin is more whimsical, he's more of an artist, he's actually worked against structure. He should have never left Sure Golden State to go to Crazy Brooklyn. Phoenix was kind of an out of the blue move for a franchise without great history of winning championships, and that I didn't view him saying that, why am I not on the goat discussion as narcissistic. It is simply he is a whimsical personality. He's a bit of a wander and to him, it's all about I can get a bucket over any of these guys. Nobody can get a bucket better than That's why. That's how he's not structural in any form.
Speaker 2: So that's why he was such an interesting comment because, so I was talking, you'll probably be able to guess who would I don't want to say who it is, but a mutual friend of ours who I think used to live down the block from you, or maybe briefly, but a mutual friend who is one of the smartest people. Oh yes, okay. And he said to me, he said, take every all time great, the fifty best players ever and put them in their prime and have them line up on the side of a black top and it's just and you get in someone who's never seen, never seen, knows their resume, knows what they accomplish whatever. You get them at their peak, and they get to pick, like we're picking, you know, for five on five. You know, I have first draft pick. And he's like okay, and they're like, all right, describe this guy to me. And you get to Michael Jordan and it's like, okay, well, he's you know, he's about average height, he's you know, about average deep shooter, very very good mid range. You know, one of the best two or three athletes here. An insane competitor, insane. I'd say, okay, sounds good. I probably set aside. I probably can do better. All right. Who's this guy? Oh, this guy's Lebron James. He might be the best raw athlete here. He's you know, there's fifteen twenty guys here that can shoot better than him. There's twenty five guys here that can dribble better than him. Uh, but he does everything really really well and he can get to the basket at will. It's like, oh, okay, it sounds good, but it probably not nor won't pick. All right, who's that guy. It's Kevin Durant. All right, tell me about him. Well, he's the second tallest guy here and probably the best shooter. There's only four guys here that can dribble better than him. He can play every position, He'll guard anyone you want. That guy would say, well, I'm fucking taking him. He's the tallest and the second best shooter. Like what are we talking about? And so under like those auspices. I think Durant's like, why am I tell me? Why tell me who's better? You tell me that if we were playing King of the Court, who wouldn't win? And I think that's how he views it. Yeah, and tell us understand it.
Speaker 1: I've said this. He would win the all time NBA one on one contest. Jordan could not stop him, and he's tall enough to be a pain in the ass. Yes, Lebron's not a good enough shooter to win one on one because he couldn't just get to the basket with Kevin's length, so Kevin would outshoot him. Kareem is not quick enough, nor is a team or Shock and Kobe. Kobe's smaller is that if you did one on one, Kevin would beat all of them. Mark Few was on the Olympic staff, Mark Fugh and pretty good teams saw the players and I said, you know, you're watching literally the twelve fifteen best players in the world, right And he said, I said that anything like did you ever like? Was there ever a jaw dropping moment? And Mark said, first of all, it was an honor. I loved all of them. But he's like Colin, I've never seen a player Kevin Durant not only got a good shot, he got any shot he wanted, and it was always a great shot. Yeah, there are no fallaways. There are his ability, his length, his release, his ball handling. He said, I've never seen it. And by the way, Gonzagas had great players, he's been on the Olympic teams. He said, I'm not sure I've ever seen a player who gets a great shot anytime you want.
Speaker 2: But that's also why that same But with all that said, there is no goat argument you can even fashion that because because a LA it's a structural it's about the context of the accomplishments and the all of it. But it also is why he was so fascinated, in my opinion, with Kyrie, because along that same logical path, you can argue, why is Steph Curry better than Kyrie, So Stepson ninety nine out of one hundred shooting and Kyrie's a eighty nine. Kyrie's better at everything else. So why and so? But because again in that mythical what what are you know? How skilled are you? Discussion? What you know? What can you do? Those are the ones where Kyrie shines the most within the structure of can you be relied on for seven months? All of that you're out the wind that drew Holidays better than you. But in the idea and so you get why they were drawn to each other.
Speaker 1: Okay, So it's prime example is that Lebron, Michael, and Kobe all view basketball to some degree. They viewed it as a business. There were certain teammates that drove him crazy. They were Kevin views it as an artist and attracted to other artists who lacks sort of the structural consistency to be on time, be there every night, play defense. He views it as art and he is van Go, whereas Kobe, like love Gasol, his consistency, his brain. I mean, he Shack's a greater player. But Shack didn't want to practice. Shack sometimes just didn't want to play. Shaq was sometimes distracted. Shack viewed it sometimes as art. So Kobe could struggle with a lack of consistent structural, constructural consistency that Gasol provided, and Shaq was a greater play that didn't. And so if you look at Michael Rodman drove him crazy, But Scotty Pippen did he acknowledges that Scotty when he went to Washington. Those guys were all a bunch of goofball players. They drove Michael crazy. They wouldn't put the time and the effort in. So I do think many of the great players they see the sports as there's a business component to it. Get the right coach, the right teammate, the right consistency. Kevin's the ultimate artist, and he's not concerned about that. He sees it as a canvas every night and he's gonna spill some paint, but he's the best painter.
Speaker 2: No, that's that's right, and it is it is a and all all bring it to this and then then we got to go. There's a level of that. It's not the exact same, but the same line of thinking of why isn't Kevin Durant the greatest player ever? Is the same line of thinking of why isn't Josh Allen the best quarter back in the league. It's the same. It's the same. It's like, well, okay, tell me, why is there a guy bigger than him? Knows the guy stronger than him?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Is there guy faster than him? Sure, a couple, but they're not more effective runners can Is there someone that can throw it further than him, that can make more throws. It's like, you understand the theoretical argument behind it, but the practical application has never born itself out. And that's the and that's the problem.
Speaker 1: I always try to bring up something that I saw this week that kind of shocked me and have a reaction to it. We didn't prep for this. So I saw a story this week. Yeah, that just one energy drink a month can disrupt sleep one a month. And this leads me to a story. One time, when I first got a job at ESPN, I went back to visit a friend in Las Vegas and it was a late flight. This was years ago, could have been fifteen years ago. Red Bull was out, but I wasn't aware of it. And I go and meet these guys at a bar and I said, guys, I've been doing shows all week I'm pretty tired. And they said, have a red Bull, and the bartender says down. He says, here, you've had a Vodkin a red bull?
Speaker 2: Oh boy?
Speaker 1: Okay, So he pours one, a second, third, fourth, fifth of running. So at six in the morning, when I'm doing jumping jacks, I'm like, yeah, this is something I had no idea.
Speaker 2: So I so I've got it. Very not unrelated but not totally related. By the way, cheers as always, this is the part of the process with you. I listen. I'm just I'm drinking whatever wine I have until we get the cow Herd winery, which I assume is down the road at some point coming. So I don't drink energy drinks at all. I do drink probably four or five cups of coffee a day, and so I'll drink I basically just drink coffee continuously until I go to work, and then I drink a coffee during the show. So you know what I but I never drink soda. I don't, and I don't drink energy drinks any of that, and nothing. I guess I just don't. What I do do, however, is I've worn nicotine patches for fifteen years I wore nicotine patches starting when my wife and I went on our first vacation together and she hated that I smoke. So I gotta wear nicotine patches, and I've been wearing them ever since. It's not the greatest thing, but it's not actually as awful as people think. What I don't do is take them off when I go to sleep. So I put one on in the morning and I wear it until the next morning, and then I take it off with a new going on. So this is a I listen, I am. I'm not trying to be Aaron Rodgers here, and you know, pretend to be a scientist or a doctor. So I'm not gonna claim I've done the research on it. I am just a sample of one. What I think that creates is my I'm getting a constant stimulation via nicotine, and so I have not only do I have vivid dreams, but I have like dreams where I am articulating an argument on the show that I sometimes then wake up and it's not like a goofy, like what that were you thinking about? I was like, that's a great fucking point I just had, and I like use it, And so my mind is kind of always there's so I don't. So that's a long way of saying it's on the board that it's been fifteen years since I got a good night's ressed and maybe in my eyes, but uh, I mean that is all on the board. But yeah, so I am. I wear the nicotine patch twenty four hours a day, and as you can see on the show, I still didn't occasionally hit you know, nicotine.
Speaker 1: Vabe somebody years ago, I had a doctor friend and you know, we were friends, and he's like, you know, sometimes Colin, I'll be talking to you and I just lose you. And I said, well, you're you're no longer interesting, so you have to maintain your interest level or I just tune you out and think about other shit. And so he thought that was funny. As a doctor, he said, have you considered going on? And he gave me something It could have been riddled in or something, I don't know what it was, and I said, oh, I'm not taking any drugs for this. I said, I know that my head is different. I know it is because I know people aren't thinking like I'm thinking. But I talked to myself three hours a day. I do not want to be medicated. I am willing to be zany and weird.
Speaker 2: So this is because I want to help my career with you. I'm so glad we started here. There so many crazy like it's coming off to visional weekend. I'm so much more interested in this specific conversation for a number of reasons. So, uh, you and I don't have the same brain, but we clearly have a lot of similarities.
Speaker 1: In how mathy.
Speaker 2: I'm more mathy, You're kind of more ideas, but we have a lot of kind of similarities of how I think our brains work. So I I for a very long time. There's an article that I have up in my office that was written about me twelve years ago when I was doing a poorly rated afternoon radio show in Kansas City, and I just kind of speak and I say to the guy, I'm like, well, here's what's going to happen. Like I'm going to beat the guy who's been number one for twenty years. Then I'm going to go to a major market. I'm going to be number one there, and then I'm going to one day takeover for Colin Cowherd. Like I was like laying it all out, but keep in mind. I'm laying this all out as a getting you know, coming in sixteenth place in Kansas City, getting up one point two share, just saying it. At point of fact, I'm like, and the article is written from the perspective of, Hey, there's this guy on the radio in Kansas City who's totally delusional. Like that. That is the premise of it. It's kind of a hip piece. Yeah, But in there I talk about that I thought my anxiety was my edge on the world. And you know, the guy asked me, I'm like, well, I just you know, when my then girlfriend now wife goes to bed at night, I just stare up at the ceiling for forty five minutes because like, I'm so like, am I doing enough? What do I need to do? Whatever? Whatever? And that is I I. By the way, if people are listening to this, I don't think that I have treated this the right way. I don't think it is necessarily healthy for me whatever, right, But I believe in a very thin lane of professionally medicating that out of me would have been the worst thing possible. And so like I kind of took the downside of the impact it has on my general demeanor or health or whatever, because I think it's what makes me unique, Like it is one of the things that allowed me to kind of do what I've done. And what you were saying about yourself is really interesting because it is it is true, and everyone who knows you on a personal level knows it. Like no matter how much Colin likes you on a human level, if you guys are having an interaction and you stop being interesting, he's out the door and doesn't even know it, Like, and you don't really I think maybe you can do this in like a cocktail parties with your wife, but I'm guessing you can't, Like you don't really have the ability to fake it the way most human beings do. Are it's like, oh, tell me more about your accounting firm. Like you're just fucking out of there and you can see it and everyone knows it, and that is maybe a social faux Paula, but it's part of the reason you're you, Like you know what I mean, Like any of us, like all of us, I think, have a oddity that if we had regular jobs, people would be like not cool, but because of the job he is, they're like, ah, like an art It's like kind of like he's an artist, like he's weird. But it's fine like that. I feel that exactly. I totally know what you're talking about, and I feel like I have a similar thing.
Speaker 1: Well it's it's I have a friend. He's just a wonderful guy. He's one of my really closest friend, like go on vacation friend. And he's he's in Hollywood, and I don't want to put his name out there because he still does a lot of business. But you know, he has told me about interactions and I am in no way an artist. I'm not putting myself on that plateau. But he was telling me about a dinner he went to with Oliver Stone. So Oliver Stone's a fascinating guy. I mean, almost everything he's done, even the stuff that Schalvador that may not be a hit, is just fascinating. Jfk all a tune, all of it. He's a brilliant guy. And he was telling me about a dinner he had to go to a business dinner with Oliver Stone. And he showed up at an hour and a half late to a business dinner and didn't really acknowledge it when he got there. And at one point he took a dessert. He was leaving the restaurant and said, I'm going to take a dessert out to a friend and just put it in his hand and left the restaurant with his in his hand. And he was saying this in admiration of He said. The dinner was fascinating. He's one of the most brilliant people. He is different, but he's a he's really You're sitting and talking to a genius on certain levels artistically and again, he is one of my top ten Hollywood people I'd love to meet. In fact, I just went to a hotel that Beverly, Wilshire a month ago with my wife and he was They're having lunch, and I thought, I can't, I can't bother him. It looked like an important meeting. But I will say is that and I'm not an artist, but there is I could not be, for instance, and my son's the same way. I couldn't be an accountant. I couldn't sit in a cubicle. I'm not capable of it. I'm too frenetic, I'm moving too much. So the audience is listening to this thinking we're probably too self absorbed people. But I think what we're doing. We're giving people a glimpse into our peculiar No.
Speaker 2: I don't listen. Yes, I mean, of course anyone who does what we do. There is a level of self importance. I mean, it doesn't work if you don't like you're the whole idea is what I provide to the world is my thoughts on the world. That does make one feel self important. Like there is so I don't know if it's a chicken in the egg thing, But of course, like I'm not building anything, I'm not creating anything. I'm just giving everyone has ideas and for you or for me and people in our space like they you know, people want to hear them, or they people think they want to hear them or whatever. So, yes, there is a level of self importance. But what I think is relatable is no matter.
Speaker 1: To me.
Speaker 2: If there's a lesson in such a thing, it's if there is something unique about how your brain or you work, being able to find the job or career that instead of you having to mute that or suppress it that rewards you for it is the quickest path to either success or a fulfilling existence. Like because there's a lot of jobs, you're saying you couldn't do, but it's also that you couldn't it'd be you'd be miserable if you couldn't do your the thing that makes you you, And in fact they're trying to beat it out of you. And so for what we're both married to actual artists. They're different types of artists. Your your wife creates like paintings and actual art, and my wife is what I consider a visual artist. She's a designer and a stylist and puts things together for people. But if those it that's the way their brains work, they see things, and it makes sense in a way that that's the only thing they should be doing. I shouldn't say can't do the only thing they should be Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well I'll give you a story. I don't know if I've ever told this story before. I may have told it to people at parties, but this is brain function. So my wife and I have been together seventeen years, and I would say the first ten nine or ten we were feisty. I mean when we dated, she broke up with me six times, so I mean a lot. She broke up with me all the time, and you know, part of it was just not understanding. She's just a different person. She was like and still I've never been with a woman like Anne on a million levels, and she's just an amazing person, and we have totally different brain functions. So I'll give you an example of this, which is something that I hope I haven't told you this story and you're surprised by it. So when I first moved to Los Angeles, there was a lot moving in my life. I was moving all these kids out west, my career was restarting. I had a lot of shit going on. So I went to a therapist in near where I now live, and I'd gone to him ten to twelve times, and I was getting to the point where I felt like I was I had come through. I kind of passed through my issues and my anxiety, and it usually takes me ten to twelve times, and so I'd go to the same office, and so it was I think the last or second to last meeting a therapy session. Says well, I was talking about you know, he didn't care what I did. But after about five or six of them, I was using a metaphor and analogy and he's like, did you where did that come from? That was interesting? And I said, oh, this is what I do for a living. He's like, oh, you were connecting things interestingly. So at the last meeting, he says, well, that is why you can't see the frog. I was like the frog. And he's like, this is the twelfth time you've been here and you've never noticed the frog. And I said, I have no idea what you're talking about. And he said, I want you to look at me and move your eyes two inches up. And so I went and there was a giant frog hanging from his light from South America. He later told me, he goes, you've never seen it. He goes, You're wife would literally have spotted it. It would have been our first conversation. She would notice my African art. He had art all over the walls, he goes, she would have noticed all of it, that's what. And he was talking about brain function, and I was like so humiliated. I was like, oh my god, I apologize. He goes, no, no, he goes, just remember this, you and your wife have totally different brains. You picked a partner that is going to be the most challenging for you. And since that time, I walked out of that literally very emotional, I may have been crying. I'm like, why have I argued with this beautiful, smart woman for seven eight years? I can't tell you. I don't know if we've had a fight in eight years. That in that moment, I realized we have different brains. She's a complete creative sees things I could never see. I'm more of a stack her more of an organizer and a stacker. And it was, it was. It was one of those Oh my, I felt so much guilt. I'm like, I'm punishing her and arguing her brain functions at a different way.
Speaker 2: So here's the So, here's the thing. Uh. I didn't realize until the punchline of the story that years ago. I don't think it was on a podcast. I think it was at your house, but it might have been on a podcast. But you have told me that once before. And the reason I the reason I realized that the punchline is because I was so struck by it that I went home and told Danielle because that is it is a very similar story there. And then the extra you said, you know, arguing and fighting whatever it is, and these are things all couples to different degrees, different levels go through. But the thing that I have to be constantly reminded of is there is a part, whether I acknowledge or ignore it or try to deny, it's there. That there's a part of me that is wired to argue because it's what I do, you know what I mean, Like it's and that I might somewhere subconsciously want to and feel like I better fucking win, Like I'm not in the losing arguments business. Yeah, which can be incredibly tough on the people, you know what I mean, the people you care about the most, the people and recog like being able. But for me being able to like toggle that part of my brains is it takes conscious effort because it's just kind of it just I'm not as you know, like you said, our brains are different. I'm a stacker, but I am the I think I am more like of a combative personality. Like hey, they're like Wilds gave me a hard time this morning. He was like, you know, when you're the angriest on the air. He's like, it's not when you're wrong. He's like, it's when you're right. And I was like, what do you mean? He's like, he goes watch any of our YouTube clips from the days after the Mondays after the Chiefs got a big win versus they had a big loss. He's like, the Mondays after they lose, you're laughing, You're you know what I mean, You're taking it on the chin. The Mondays after they win, He's like, you are furrowed brow and angry, and and so we were kind of like talking through like why would that be and.
Speaker 1: Because let me guess, yeah, because you are so angry that people didn't see yes vision exactly right.
Speaker 2: I was so angry that I was like I had to defend this for five days and now it's all there, and now I'm gonna So I was, I was I and I went back yesterday. I went back and watched Monday's a block and I'm like, He's right, I look furious when I should be jubilant, but I'm indignant at the situation. And so that is I don't know if it's a malfunction, but it just is my brain. Now I have to tell one story about you and then we can move on past all this. This is not related, but this is funny. And I don't think I've told this on the air. In fact, I'm almost certain and I won't name names, but this is a good window into how you're just different. It's one of the reasons I love you. But you're different. And I don't even know if you know this story, even though you're the central figure of it. So seven years ago, seven and a half years ago, I'm four months into starting at FS one. I'm in la and I have now become your regular feeling. I've probably done four or five shows, and one day I'm on the main floor of our building, which has right when you get past security, that long corridor hallway where there's like four different ways you can go, but it's one long hallway, and at the end of the hallway by the lobby, you are standing. You are standing facing me, but you don't see me. I'm eighty feet away down at the end, and someone who I won't name, different on air person, their back is to me, and I'm like, oh, Collin's there, I'm gonna say hi. So I'm walking and then I hear the person is talking to you about me, and they're not being negative, but they are clearly more than a little annoyed that they feel I have jumped them in the line to fill in for you and I'm like, oh no, but at this point, I have no where there's I have nowhere to go, and so I'm like, oh no. I'm like, all right, what am I gonna do? And then I'm like, okay, if I go another twenty feet forward, I can duck into this office or this corridor to the right. And you are facing me. This guy's bad to me, and and he's like, you know what, and you you haven't seen me yet, and you then say something he responds, and then you and you're being nice, and then you see me and you say, oh, Nick's right here. We should ask him. And I'm like, sweet Jesus, and you turn to me and say, and this guy is now mortified because he knows I've been walking this here the whole time. Here's all of it. You're like, Nick, why is it you're filling in for me and not him? What in the world? I'm like, who does this? But you were like, oh, I don't know, I don't know. Like I think it's probably because Nick might be better. I'm not sure you didn't say this, but you just were like, seems interesting. Let's find out the answer. And I'm like, oh, I'm like, oh god, I don't know, because I got no other job. I'm I'm sure, like I don't know. And that was that like unbelievable. But yeah, so.
Speaker 1: I'm so awkward socially that I didn't even consider how jarring emotionally that would be to you and the other person.
Speaker 2: I mean for both of us. I think both me and this guy looked at each other and we liked each other. And I don't think he was taking a shot at me. I think it was just kind of frustration, like whatever. I never I have no ill will towards this person, but I could not believe that you were just like, well, Nick's right here, let's ask him. I was like, oh, my god, so that's Colin Cowd God.
Speaker 1: So folks, Yeah, yes, that's why I have just a handful of friends.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I had my wed I had my sixtieth birthday party recently, and it was pretty small gathering my kids, My sister showed up. Hadn't seen her in eight years, so it was really kind of a small gathering. But it was funny because I did it. Didn't I had very few new friends. They were a lot of them, I mean, some of them were due, but I was kind of as I drove home, I said, I told you know, I told my wife and I said, you know, just such neat people, and we're so lucky that so many of them live around us, right like in this little area. And I said, you know, it's one of those I'm like, I just feel really lucky. I have many of the same friends. And as I said it, I thought to myself, Yeah, that's they've learned to deal with me.
Speaker 2: That's why I know my barking garage is full.
Speaker 1: Nobody else is driving you looking for a spot. People are maybe had enough.
Speaker 2: Right, Oh, that's great, Okay, all right.
Speaker 1: Nick, this was fun an hour and one minute.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: I started on frogs from light no rest.
Speaker 2: No, actually we started about the way our brains work and how weird we are. But that's fine. I loved it as always, and and I'll talk to you, you know, probably the next time I'm talking to you. We can do hard for football because we're going to be previewing the Chiefs and the Super Bowl. Can't wait for it. Talk to you later.
Speaker 1: See somebody the volume