Speaker 1: Hello, Hi, and barber Joe.
Speaker 2: You used to do that and your computer would like shoot balloons or something your head like.
Speaker 1: There used to be. I wonder it did an update, So I wonder if it does.
Speaker 2: If you guys could see what we're doing right now, maybe we'll make.
Speaker 3: It a clip.
Speaker 2: We are, like, we're just waving our arms frantically makes weird faces.
Speaker 1: Why doesn't it mind to get.
Speaker 2: Some sort of a reaction from uh, from our our.
Speaker 3: Just old jazz hands.
Speaker 2: I really, you guys need what we're actually doing to try and get a zoom reaction, because it was there were balloons that all sorts of stuff was happening, but not anymore.
Speaker 1: I guess, no, do it without trying, and now you would put.
Speaker 2: It off and now like yeah, it used to be like, oh if I do that, I can raise my hand.
Speaker 1: Did you raise your hand?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: No? Oh yeah, well okay, anyways.
Speaker 3: Wow, we could do this forever, which is both.
Speaker 2: Sad and uh and I don't know it says something about us though.
Speaker 1: Manny just called us dorks, which is so accurate.
Speaker 2: Yes, right, this is watch just wave our arms around on a podcast.
Speaker 1: It's just kind of exercising, like getting my energy.
Speaker 3: You were like super and then I was like, well, I'll do it too.
Speaker 2: And then I was like, oh wait, things used to happen and now they don't. It doesn't like Zoom doesn't like this anymore. Even Zoom's tired of version. It was like, enough, I'm turning off his feature a point. Uh oh, so I have so I have an update on what what's your update? Well it's not really an update, it's just a story. But so, okay, do you remember I don't think. I don't know if I ever told you the story when we were coming up with the name for Beatrix and I said Beatrix to my mom, okay, and she had a bit of a freak out because she was like her response was what is going to be embroidered on her high school cheerleading uniform?
Speaker 3: Tricksy?
Speaker 2: Wait, that was Jannas's first Jana's first remark.
Speaker 3: That was what she was worried about.
Speaker 2: I believe she had suggested Lola and I was like, you mean the show.
Speaker 3: Girl, Like what do we do?
Speaker 2: No? So anyway, sorry, mom, I'm outing you here, lovely Jannis.
Speaker 3: It was such a Janis sweetened moment of like seventeen.
Speaker 2: Years in the future. But she is never gone by Tricksy ever. Ever, I've never heard that she has now decided to do start going by Tricksy.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: No, I don't know what happened.
Speaker 1: Shed you like Slipper A twenty or something like.
Speaker 3: No, my mom did not want her to go buy Trixie.
Speaker 2: It was horrified at the possibility of Tricksy.
Speaker 3: That was not a that was not like, oh my god, how cute.
Speaker 2: That was like's not set you're setting her up for failure. Oh no, And now she's decided and I was like, oh, she's just never gonna go by that.
Speaker 1: It'll be fine.
Speaker 2: Well, she started a band with some friends and uh, and apparently she wants to go buy Tricksy in the band to plays bass Tricksy little bass player. You know, yeah, back up Lenny Kravitz in he's still gonna be anyway.
Speaker 3: So she she sent.
Speaker 2: Out, uh, selling girls Scout cookies, which, by the way, but she posted her little like thing that, you know, the email blurb or whatever that gets sent out and it's like, help support Trixy's Girl Scout Cookies.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, my wait.
Speaker 2: I can't wait, I can't When she sees this in her email, and it's says, Tricksy, My mom's gonna lose it.
Speaker 1: She might think it's nice, like I told you, Yeah, yeah, Tricksy. Uh interesting, Okay. So and she's how old is she? Fourteen? Fifteen?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, fourteen? Fourteen okay and a half yeah, fourteen and a half. So okay. So she's like, you know, it's this independence.
Speaker 3: She's like, I might go for it.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, but just the irony of the fact that the kid who had never done cheer or gone by the name Trixie is now doing both in high school, which is exactly what my mother prophesized.
Speaker 1: And now I'm afraid us knows everything, Like this is a lesson for you, dy, Janice knows everything else is? She said. I started thinking, I guess a're writing it down and then you're like, oh, in fifteen years, it'll come true. Yes, wow, well just yeah. So has she embroidered it on her cheer uniform yet though, no, because.
Speaker 2: They don't embroider their names on it. But she has be a trix on her cheer and they did.
Speaker 3: They won their first cheer petition.
Speaker 2: I got to spend all day at my first cheer competition. Oh, that was an experience I've never had before. Realized I didn't have nearly enough be dazzled. Oh nothing, I had nothing, I was I was, I was blank.
Speaker 1: You you just blended into the Bible.
Speaker 2: I was like, well, I mean probably smart, given the you know what I mean, like a few people kind of recognize.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh no, but.
Speaker 3: Everyone, I mean the amount of cheer.
Speaker 1: Cheer, glitter, jewels, lamb.
Speaker 2: And it was like it was like eight hours we were there. We got there at ten and I think we left at six.
Speaker 1: Oh that's intense.
Speaker 2: B and her JV team the first place in there thing and her high school took grand champions with the most amount of points and against like travel cheer teams and all the stuff.
Speaker 3: They killed it. That's fantastic.
Speaker 2: She was so excited, like and the girls were so they were also excited because there's a few of them that have never done cheer and really like they decided to do it like three weeks ago, so they really pulled it together.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, good for them. Oh how validating? And oh yeah it was great.
Speaker 2: And I you know, I'll be honest, have we not gotten anything? And I would have been there eight hours, would have been much a little bit more pissonic y. This was like, okay, okay, we got a flag, we got some things, we get there was you know, everyone's happy.
Speaker 1: We would have gone home hand what. Yeah, spectating is like an endurance sport. With that you have to have, like snacks, you have to.
Speaker 3: There was no and that. I didn't know. I didn't know who I came, snacklace, what I came. There's gonna be concessions there, there'll be food. There was downtown and lace.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, but the lines I bet were really long.
Speaker 2: There was just by the time I was like, oh I should go get a snack, it was done.
Speaker 1: There was nothing.
Speaker 2: It was gone, the chips, the sodas. But I was like, oh, then I had to go out in downtown. I was like where, okay, seven eleven. So then I show up with the seven eleven, which looks like an extension.
Speaker 1: Of the cheer competition.
Speaker 2: There's like fifty cheerleaders in there and just everyone in downtown.
Speaker 1: Like what is happening?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I realized that seven eleven actually makes pretty decent pizza.
Speaker 1: Oh nice, Okay, Well, when you're that hungry.
Speaker 2: Watch I also would have eaten just about anything, but it was fresh out of the oven.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, okay, substance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe my my opinion was a little bit excuse.
Speaker 1: Because probably, yeah, the hunger level, you're probably dehydrated. You have to like a camera for my back.
Speaker 3: Let me tell you.
Speaker 1: Okay, sitting on these little like metal bleachers, Oh those are the worst. Yeah, I had standing up for instance, iattica just from sitting on those for five years. Like, I'm too old for this, so just buckle up. It's only the beginning.
Speaker 3: Apparently there's going to be more. So you're Tricksie is.
Speaker 1: In it for the long run. I am yeah. Oh my gosh, she's so cute. She's so great kid. I love your kids.
Speaker 3: Was doing her little college tours this week.
Speaker 1: This is not this is not happening.
Speaker 3: Like you have like adult people in your house.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, I know that's true, but it's just I mean, I use the adult very loosely, but well baby adult that's what we call you know. My well, Felicity is still a minor technically for a few more months, but yeah, he's my baby. She's going to be eighteen, and oh I don't I am in denial. I am firmly in denial that she's going to be eighteen. She's still ten in my mind, you know, her mind too up in the features. They looked like sisters for a long time.
Speaker 3: Exactly like I just around the dress the other day.
Speaker 1: Yes, like that this she will forever be ten. They will both forever be ten. Yeah, in my mind, I just yeah, I can't believe they're grown up. So grown up. You have become the old people. We are this, We are those ladies that are complaining about were those metal benches?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Who have I become?
Speaker 1: Who have I become? You don't go do just about anything excepted on a metal bench. I embrobrace it. I embrace you know, bring it.
Speaker 3: On now I know.
Speaker 2: Now I'm like, oh, it's it was kind of like the introduction to being a soccer parent, where you're like, oh no, we got a break, Like there's wagons involved, and.
Speaker 1: There's where this is dedication, especially for the tournaments. So it dominates family life, or it can anyways during the camp.
Speaker 2: But now she had to quit cheer rehearsal because she is in the UH musical at her school.
Speaker 3: She's in Chicago.
Speaker 2: She's been having to balance both and kind of do that and now she's uh putting cheer on positive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is this is good. You know, the grades were going as well as the extracurriculars. But it's hard. It's a balance.
Speaker 3: I get it, and I look at her and I go, you're this is the stuff you're going to need to know.
Speaker 1: Honestly, math math, you don't need it. Life skills though, yes, this is what right is what they need?
Speaker 3: You know, exercise your brain.
Speaker 2: But absolutely, speaking of exercising our brains, show we exercise our brains and recap a show.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's a great segue. I'm very impressed. You get ten points for that segue. That was great.
Speaker 3: Well you're going to subtract those a little bit later when I see it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, No, we have a lot to discuss today. This is an iconic episode, a very special episode. Oh yeah, let's get into it. Welcome back to How Rude Tanneritos. I'm Andrea Barber and I'm Jody Sweeten, who was taking a sip of coffee. Sorry about that mid swig, Jody Sweeten. Yeah, yeah, look I gotta be cappy. Definitely. Today we're discussing season four, episode eight, Shape Up It originally aired in November ninth, nineteen ninety and it goes a little something like this. In light of Kimmy's upcoming pool party, DJ begins a crash diet and over exerts herself exercising. When Stephanie notices the problem, DJ swears her to secrecy, but the secret is out when DJ collapses during a family outing to the gym. This was directed by joel's Wick, written by Jeff Franklin. He loves to write these very special episodes. And we have several guest stars. This week we have Lisa Mililei as a girl in class, doesn't have a name, girl in class. She really made the whole episode. She did a ton of guest spots, a ton of guest spots. I can't tell you who this person is, but yeah, I don't even know which girl in the class she was. I don't know, but she's very accomplished. She's known for Bolden, the Beautiful One, Crazy Summer and Friends, so you know she's got credits to her name. Well, at least we didn't kill her career exactly. Went on to go do a few other things. That's the most important lesson here. Next we have Julie Simone as swimsuit model. Again nameless, but that's well, we only see her.
Speaker 3: In the pictures, right that are like posted.
Speaker 1: Up on them. No, I think she's so isn't she someone in the in the gym? Isn't she one of the.
Speaker 2: Ladies with the I think she's No, I think she's the model that is the the swimsuit model that DJ is posting up on the fridge because they'd have to use somebody because.
Speaker 1: You can't and she gets a credit.
Speaker 3: Photos, you'd have to. Yeah, she was a person.
Speaker 2: She was on the cover of the magazine when DJ holds it up, and then there were all those photos of her on the fridge.
Speaker 1: So yeah, okay, I'm trying to figure out, like who is she? Why is she?
Speaker 3: Is she?
Speaker 1: Okay, she's not in a bathing suit in the gym, so yeah she must.
Speaker 3: Be No, No, she is in a bathing suit.
Speaker 1: Well, she was underutilized in this episode because she is an impressive number of credits, Like the list is very long. She's a director, she's a writer. She directed and co wrote the documentary Fidland, which won over twenty awards across multiple film festivals. So yeah, she's very accomplished. She should have been given she should have been invited onto the show for sure, right and I don't know, given her at least a line or two. But yeah, no, good for her. Next, we have Brittain Taylor as aerobics instructor. Nobody gets names in this like, no, none of the guest stars get actual names for their characters.
Speaker 3: There were not that well, yeah, they don't need to know the name.
Speaker 1: It's too much information, the right what they do? Right? She appeared in Dallas Rescue nine one one Hill Street Blues and she was also a stunt woman at Universal Studios. Oh yep, good for her. Last, but certainly not least, we have Troy Zuklato as bodybuilder. He has exactly three credits on IMDb, Full House, Doogie Houser, MD, and Kill Point. You'll be shocked to learn that in all three of these he played a muscleman bodybuilder. Really, I don't know why.
Speaker 2: Doogie Howser would have been some sort of emotionally uh you know, acting revealings.
Speaker 1: But yeah, been wrong before. He's worked hard for those muscles. You know he is going to put them to good use, so something he's he's very lumpy according to Michelle's yeah, very lumberry lump beer. Okay, so we start with the teaser. In the kitchen, Jesse walks up to Michelle, who is sitting at the table in her pjs. He asks her, what cereal do you want your uncle Jesse to buy for breakfast. Michelle shouts, with extra excitement, fiber bears, and Jesse, fiber bear. I know, my colon, My colon is like constricting, just like thinking about this for a three.
Speaker 3: Year old or four year old.
Speaker 1: I mean, everybody needs fiber, I guess.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, this is in no way saying that fiber is not an essential part of a well rounded food program. And that's something that you need and it helps your system.
Speaker 3: But I have never heard.
Speaker 1: Like a three or four year old kid yell out fiber bears with excitement, with exaggerated Maybe maybe like an eighty four year old person would be like fiber bears, you.
Speaker 3: Know what I mean, But I don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would get that excited for fiber bears. I need more.
Speaker 2: Could basically be like like the little animal crackers, but fiber yeah, oh yeah no, there's no there's no such thing as too much fiber when you're when you get to our ri Yeah, well fiber bears, we'll get on that. Well that'll be our new uh, our new birch. No more fiber Bears box fiber bears.
Speaker 1: Or I like to know the boats not available? Like why I don't know why we went with fiber bears. I was kept waiting for a joke, you know, like a fart joke or.
Speaker 3: Something might while.
Speaker 1: Exact ye, so AnyWho, Jesse reveals that the cereal box that he was hiding behind his back is the fiber Bears. You got it, dude, Michelle grins, I'm glad I woke you up, and Jesse nods. If you hadn't come in and jumped on my stomach, I'd have missed the beautiful sunrise this morning. He leaves the box of cereal on the table while he goes to grabs milk. Michelle wastes no time. She pours the entire box into her bowl and all over the counter. All of the bears are now out of the bears so much so, many fibrous bears just all over the place. A whole lot of fiber and a whole lot of bear. She searches through the pile of bears to find the hidden prize inside. She exclaims it's party teddy while leaving her chair and running over to her uncle. Jesse questions what about breakfast, and she demands two eggs over easy, thank you, and she runs away while Jesse playfully chases after her. You know, it was a thing. That was Yeah, that was that was a teaser. Well, and then the bears, the fiber bears, they were like they looked like Teddy Grams, like those they were.
Speaker 3: They were chocolate. They were chocolate.
Speaker 1: Didn't even match the box of.
Speaker 2: Se No, they were that's they were chocolate Teddy Grams, which I'm pretty sure don't have your daily dose of fibrants.
Speaker 1: No, it's like the opposite of fiber. How can we how can we clog you up as quickly as right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly?
Speaker 2: How can we fill you with some more preservatives? But they are delicious, so they're good. Yeah, I get it.
Speaker 1: I can't knock it, you know.
Speaker 3: Not fibris.
Speaker 1: No, you know what, there's a there's there's a market there for him.
Speaker 3: There's a market or fiber.
Speaker 1: Bear fiber you know what.
Speaker 3: Let's get find it.
Speaker 1: Let's jump on this. Let's market these fiber bears. We can sell it in our mert shop. We can all have like healthier colons will clean them out. Let's just let's all do this together. Hey, it's middle age cheers to middle age Joe. He's like, all right, there's not even a retort for that.
Speaker 3: Well, because I look, there was a lot of retorts.
Speaker 1: In my head, and I was like, none of those are appropriate with We've already jumped the shark with the fibrous bears. So oh yeah, moving right along. In the girls room, DJ is eating some cookies while she rifles through magazines.
Speaker 3: I wonder how much fibers in this the fiber cookies. Fiber cook.
Speaker 1: Stephanie excitedly walks in showing DJ the recorder she received at school today.
Speaker 2: Do you remember, Yeah, I loved playing the recorder in my room.
Speaker 3: I loved it, of course you did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, quarters were great. Is that still standard in like junior high? Do you still have I don't think it.
Speaker 3: Like my kids, elementary school was elementary.
Speaker 1: School for me, it was junior high. It was seventh grade.
Speaker 2: Kids brought one home, but they might have had I know, they had like music appreciation. Maybe I don't know. Before they you know, got that at schools, right right? I think they had a little bit. But yeah, oh I remember vividly playing my report and my mom does to poor Jane's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the recorder was great.
Speaker 2: Hot cross buns, man, all the hot cross buns all day long.
Speaker 1: That was hot. Yeah, that's great. God bless the recorder. Oh this is yeah, art imitates like you, what's a record anyway? I'm not gonna go off on a whole time. Please, this is what we do. This is what we do.
Speaker 3: Why is it called a recorder? It doesn't record anything.
Speaker 1: It doesn't record You're right, I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's a terrible name. There's there's not a chord or a record. No, there's nothing. There's nothing involved. It is a wind instrument.
Speaker 1: No, you blow it and so yeah, it doesn't record any It's like it's related to the obo, to the to the flute. It it's a it's a wind instrument. So why yeah, yeah, it doesn't record anything. I think that I think the recorder should be renamed. I agree, let's start a move.
Speaker 2: I haven't thought of what it is yet, but it's going to be. It's like the like the mini flute or something.
Speaker 1: It's a flute light. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, flute light, flute light. Let's let's start a movement and rename the recorder. And all the kids these days are like, what do they talk about?
Speaker 2: We don't, And we can give out fiber bears along the recorders.
Speaker 3: Well, we'll be a hit with the kids.
Speaker 1: We will revolutionize the elementary schools with our fiber bears.
Speaker 3: I thought you were going to say the elderly.
Speaker 1: Well, that will bring our elderly ways into the schools. You're welcome, youth. So Steph asks DJ if she has any requests, and DJ sarcastically answers yes, please don't play. Steph suggests on top of Old Smokey, you got it, and she starts to play the song but falls flat on a note. She tries again, and the sound screeches in DJ's ears. Stephanie explains that this is her homework for music appreciation, and DJ quips, well, when it happens to be music, I'll appreciate it. Good comeback. She asks her sister to practice somewhere else because she's in the middle of making a collage for Kimmy's birthday card. On cue, Jimmy walks in wearing the Unforgettable by Onesie.
Speaker 3: What Mermaid butts? Why why Mermaid butts?
Speaker 2: Damn?
Speaker 3: I literally was like, loved.
Speaker 1: It's back, Like I just wore this a few episodes. Look at the fan pack, I do not look at door.
Speaker 2: Very nice.
Speaker 3: But fanny packs are back.
Speaker 2: I mean they wear more like a crossbody now because you can't actually wear it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, this was a big fanny pack, like Kimmy was so this was so nineties, This was so yeah oh man like that. You can tell just how much Roberta loved this outfit because she brought it back like a few episodes later.
Speaker 3: So great. Yeah, I still don't like it.
Speaker 1: I still don't like it anymore.
Speaker 3: Than I did backup. I love it. I love it, but I get it.
Speaker 1: They had to have me in something form fitting to kind of accentuate my thin frame for this storyline. So they're like, oh, wear this again, And I was like, I hated it, hated it, hated it, but whatever. Moving along, moving along with the Mermaid Butts, DJ scrambles to hide her collage as she tells Kimmy she's not supposed to be in this room. Stephanie takes a jab while walking out the door. I've been telling her that for years. I laughed out loud, like, that's like your delivery on the crowds. You can tell when an actor loves delivering certain.
Speaker 3: Live Yeah again, our.
Speaker 2: Bits have always been he can enjoy it anytime. You and I got to just be ridiculous and throw jabs at each other with so much fun because I love you and so it was like it was just a fun, ridiculous thing to do.
Speaker 1: Oh so fun, just classic from the very beginning. So Kimmy pays Steph no mind and proceeds to give DJ the invitation to her surprise birthday party. DJ gives her a knowing look. You're throwing yourself a surprise birthday party. Kimmy nods yeah, and this is a face I'm gonna use. She throws her arms in the air and gasps with excitement, much.
Speaker 3: Like Andrea is doing right now. I'll have you all now.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I don't know how I did it something like that. Yeah, I think it was more like that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that was exactly it.
Speaker 1: Yes, I still got it, DJ, Oh you do.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: DJ reads the invitation out loud, revealing that Kimmy's birthday party will be held at the Excelsior Hotel. DJ asks how she managed to swing that, and Kimmy explains, my brother Garth is a bell hop. He can sneak us into the pool area. Garth is very useful as like a plot point or like a you know.
Speaker 3: To explain. He's always getting it.
Speaker 2: He is always leading Kimmy into trouble, always, whether it be terrible magic tricks or yeah, you know, a pool party.
Speaker 1: Sneak ins Yep, he's definitely a gibbler. Kimmy pulls out a piece of paper from her famous fanny pack and tells DJ. If anyone asks your Heather's zinc from Philadelphia and you're staying in room fifteen forty one, you know, there's always deception involve when it's gibblers. It's never a right though exactly. I know you're a different skirting on the edge of right of stuff. Okay, So DJ frowns, you're having a pool party in November? What a dumb idea? Gim Me explains that the hotel has an indoor pool and tomorrow they can go shopping for new bathing suits. She can't stop grinning, telling DJ, this party is going to be so rad. It's so so rad. DJ responds, yeah, rad for you, because you have the perfect body. Give me questions me the perfect body. She examines herself from all angles and concludes, well, I guess I can't argue with you there, and strikes a pose like I cringe, like I wa we can tell no, you can tell me.
Speaker 2: I was gonna like, I'm watching it, well this whole episode, I'm just watching you in Candice both uh, just be super like hating.
Speaker 3: I can feel it.
Speaker 1: You can feel it. You can feel it. It's you know, we had to just power through it. But no, I hate it.
Speaker 2: I mean was sort of you know, a good vibe for the show that it's like there was sort of but yeah, I definitely and again we have lots to talk about, but.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, we go with the show. I was like, oh oh wow, yeah as a child actor, as a teenager, I did not like even though it was supposed to be a compliment, oh you have the perfect body. I was so self conscious trying to be like, oh, yes, I.
Speaker 2: Owe right, and then yeah, and like any cringe, I mean say that in middle school, high school, that's you're getting roast in Fred.
Speaker 1: Done, Yeah, you are done.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So DJ insists there is no way she's wearing a bathing suit in front of everyone until she looks like one of the models in her magazines. Kimm he throws her arm around DJ and pleads, you're my best friend. You have to come to my party. DJ size all right, I'll come, but this means I only have two weeks to get skinny starting right now. She walks over to the box of cookies that she was snacking on and throws them in the trash and then she asks Kimmy, how do you stay so thin in Kimmy admits, I exercise like Wiste bends. For example. She demonstrates the exercise by bending down and grabbing the box of cookies out of the trash can. Then Kimmy says she watches what she eats. So she examines the cookie and declares this looks good and sticks the whole thing in her mouth. Like talk about oblivious, Like Kimmy, come on French, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, he was, Well, it's her birthday. She's feeling herself in that onesie, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: She's like, let's blame the onesie, Like she's just.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, she was.
Speaker 2: She was too distracted with the amazing outfit, and.
Speaker 1: She was like, let's blame the mermaid butts. You know, when all else fails.
Speaker 2: You know what, That's what I do, uh with everything, I just I go off. You know what, I'm gonna blame Andrea's onesie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, mermaid butts are always to blame. So next in the kitchen, DJ is sticking pictures of models onto the refrigerator doors. When Becky walks.
Speaker 3: In, looks, there's the model, there's the one that's the Yes.
Speaker 1: The aforementioned documentarian. That's right. Becky looks at the pictures and comments, Wow, I guess your dad and the guys will like these a lot better than Michelle's finger paintings.
Speaker 3: Creepy, right.
Speaker 1: DJ explains her thought process looking at these models is going to help her stay out of the refrigerator, but Becky's puzzled. You're trying to lose weight. DJ nods with determination, I have two weeks to look like you. Do you mind if I scotch tape you to the refrigerator. Becky smiles and lends some advice. If you want to lose a couple of pounds, all you have to do is eat Sensibly, you can have broiled fish, lean chicken without the skin, fresh fruits, delicious steamed vegetables.
Speaker 3: Bory sorright.
Speaker 1: I was like, there's no right, where's the carbs? Come on?
Speaker 3: People like yeah, right, yeah, whore's the carbs? There's nothing fried.
Speaker 1: I don't know. These ain't These ain't my vegetables.
Speaker 3: Why is Becky lying?
Speaker 1: So DJ reminds her that she's trying to keep her mind off of food, and Becky WinCE's sorry. The most important thing is to keep the junk food out of the house.
Speaker 2: And that I will I will say, is a very that is a very true statement. Just it's not in the house. It's that's a way because I love sugar so same same ye.
Speaker 3: If it's in the house, I will eat it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just keep gout of the house. No, her advice isn't bad, like it's good, no advice about healthy eating it.
Speaker 3: But the statement should have been like what do you mean, like you don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's talking to a teenager who is at a perfectly healthy weight, who she just saw taping sinspow pictures onto a refrigerator. That's the problem, Like you.
Speaker 2: Don't need, but that was the that was the diet culture of that time, you know, was like that was just kind of what you did.
Speaker 3: It was normal.
Speaker 2: You like, you know, would put those like things they put on the bridge and you'd open it and it would make like a pig noise or something like.
Speaker 3: I remember seeing stuff like that and it's like yeah.
Speaker 1: No, wow, wow, yeah, no nineties. I'm excited to talk to our resident expert nutritionist Melanie Samuels later on about this because I'm sure she has a lot of thoughts about nineties diet culture and yeah, how this episode, yeah, go over today, Like can you imagine this episode?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can't imagine it.
Speaker 2: Like there were definitely parts of it that I was like just that made me, yeah, really like uncomfortable, or where we were h at discussing young women's bodies, frames health, all of that.
Speaker 3: Like I was just like, oh, yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a little we definitely didn't do anyone any favors.
Speaker 1: It was very it was very uncomfortable to watch. It made me really feel for Candice too, having to carry this storyline.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I know, I know it was something that she was sensitive about and you know, and it was, yeah, which hurts, like, Hey, we're gonna make an entire storyline about the thing that you are the most.
Speaker 1: I mean you and what teenage girl isn't self conscious?
Speaker 3: Isn't We're like, we're going to make an entire episode about it? And yeah, that's yeah, I did. I really felt for her in this one, because I know it's hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, it's hard when it's something that you're really dealing with to be like, oh, I'm going to pretend that this is fine, right, and that I can resolve it.
Speaker 1: You know. Well, I know that Jeff, Jeff went to the cameras, you went to your parents and Candice and so it's just okay, and they said, yeah, so they gave their blessing. But it doesn't negate the fact that it's a spot whell on a teenage girl and insecurity.
Speaker 2: And I think it's also, you know, viewing it with twenty twenty five eyes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that sounded really weird, right, doesn't twenty five?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right, But you know, I think we've come so far in the discussion and in how we feel like as women talking about our bodies and our weight and stuff, that we're like you would never like there's so many other different ways to go about this, right, But.
Speaker 3: You know, at the time and I I do know, you know.
Speaker 2: Jeff was always super sensitive about stuff and I know that, you know, and to be fair, it was an important episode. It was. I mean, there are a lot of young women struggling with it. There's no good way to sort of discuss it without you know, hanging a hat on the fact that it's that might be something that you're a little self conscious about anyway. But yeah, I think it's just interesting to go back and watch, uh yeah, just the way the way in which we discuss things that's changed so drastically.
Speaker 1: Now, Yeah, I guess it's it isn't it's. I agree, it's absolutely an important episode for people to watch, for kids and teenagers to watch. I guess it's hard to divorce the idea of the actor versus the character. You know, it's like there's still a real person who has to say these lines and feel these emotions.
Speaker 2: Right, and that's what they Also it's hard for us because we know that feeling of that all of your peers are going to see this and you know what I mean, and like it's different when you're an adult like, I don't care you think you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: It doesn't matter. As a teenage girl, it is.
Speaker 2: It's the most horrifying thing to, you know, talk about anything that you're uncomfortable with, let alone to.
Speaker 3: Do it on a you know show that's immensely popular.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, that's a that's a that's a that was a tall order and uh a fire Candace for getting through it as well as she did. You know that she did a fantastic performance. But yeah, definitely hard to watch at many many moments in this episode. So where are we? Jesse barges in shouting cake is here, and Becky tries to handle the situation by telling Jesse they should do this another time, but DJ chimes in, that's okay, Becky, I don't need any cake. She walks over to the freezer and tells her she'll just eat one of the delicious water pops that she made. She pulls out an ice cube on a popsicle stick to show her. Jesse shouts loudly for the entire house to hear. Everybody, get in here. I need some opinions. When no one comes rushing in, he rephrases his statement free cake. This causes everyone to burst into the room immediately, including Michelle, who yells I'm coming, I'm coming, I'm coming, Danny Grebb, Danny.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry. I didn't. I'm sorry I didn't. I couldn't what I was trying to be good, I just could. There was no way you could say that.
Speaker 1: And I couldn't be inappropriate. Sorry, it was just your face like I should have just not. Yeah, I was anything.
Speaker 2: I saw you were going through it, and I but I let out a noise and I wouldn't help that.
Speaker 1: That's restraint for you. I admire that level of restraint.
Speaker 3: How I've grown you have you have?
Speaker 1: So? Uh, Michelle is coming coming, I mean, and then Tanny puts her on a chair and she says, I'm here. Yeah, there we go, let's get that. Jesse tells everyone that they're going to help pick out the wedding cake. Becky is confused. She says, I thought we decided on chocolate cake. Jesse nods, we did, but chocolate is not just chocolate anymore. He pulls the cover off the tray to reveal twenty different cake samples. Michelle's eyes widen at the site. Whoa baby, Jesse describes all of the different chocolate flavors that are in front of them, plus a slice of carrot cake.
Speaker 3: Love Carrett.
Speaker 1: Oh, I you too, ma'am. I know this.
Speaker 3: Remember Porto's carrot cake.
Speaker 2: That's Cannas's favorite, and we would get it for like her birthday or she directed or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we would. Porto's chocolate or carrot cake is so good man.
Speaker 2: I'm really carrot cake is only good because of the chocolate or the chocolate the cream cheese frobs.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's the best part. The carrots are optional. It's really about the right. Yeah, cream cheese from.
Speaker 3: But I call it a salad.
Speaker 1: It's healthier than a watergate side it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look at it. It's not chocolate vegetable in there. What do you want me to do?
Speaker 1: It's one of the five flood groups, you know it is.
Speaker 3: It's just protein in the cream cheese.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Come on, you're covered, man, you are covered.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's great.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: So everyone's confused about the carrot cake, and Jesse explains the carrot cake was sitting there so lonely. No one picks carrot cake. Michelle interrupts him, saying, let's peg out Danny tells her she's not being very polite, so Michelle corrects herself, let's pig out please. Joey looks over it DJ, who is standing away from everyone else. He motions for her to come over so she doesn't miss any cake. DJ responds, who needs cake when you can lick ice on a stick. She tries her water pop and fakes a smile. Mmm, wet and cold. And that's about it.
Speaker 3: Why didn't anyone say anything at that point?
Speaker 1: There's so many red flags just in this scene, and nobody chatches on. Nobody. She's got mom's take on.
Speaker 3: Probably would if she was, if she was involved, Michelle would know.
Speaker 2: As a therapist, yeah, she'd be like, I am greatly concerned.
Speaker 1: Yes, but Michelle should have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like if one of my girls was like, oh no, it's all right, I'm gonna skip cake and have an ice cube, I would be like, Okay, what's going on?
Speaker 1: Right? That doesn't that be good? Huge red flag? Yeah, no, all the adults missed it, like it's like, man, yeah, but you know, the nineties was the nineties, right, So Michelle is still staring at the cake samples, and she admits, I can't take it I need that cake. She hops onto the table and grabs the cake slices with her hands, shoving as much as she can into her mouth, and the adults just watch her like.
Speaker 3: And again the adults go oh right, laugh at her.
Speaker 1: Danny Tanner laughs at her, what right he would be horrified? Fie like this is just.
Speaker 2: I do remember the uh Mary Kate being very excited about the scene, no doubt, like that is a dream, like okay, can I do it now? It was like, okay, this time is the time you go eat the cake?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And the audience loved it. The audience was, oh yeah, I mean it was adorable.
Speaker 3: It was very cute, very.
Speaker 1: Cute, and yeah, Danny should have said something, but whatever, I will overlook them.
Speaker 3: The joke's gotta work.
Speaker 1: Just a joke always has to work. So Jesse pauses her sugar rush and asks which cake sample she liked best. With her mouth covered in cake, she says, chocolate wamp. Back in the girls room, Steph is sitting in bed while DJ stands in front of a scale. She tells her younger sister it's way in time and she hates this part. Steph tries to cheer her up. By playing way in music. She begins to play on top of all smoky yet again, but the note is still falling flat. That's when Jesse walks in, his face scrunched from the unpleasant music. He asks Steph to have mercy on his ears. DJ looks at the scale and size. This can't be right. Two days and I've only lost half a pound. I'm going off this stupid diet. Jesse responds, good, you don't need to be on a diet anyway. You want to shape up a little bit, just exercise. In fact, why don't you go work out at Michelle's gym? And DJ jokes, oh, yeah, like I really want Michelle's body, And Jesse laughs and tells her they have an adult gym too, Like Michelle's the only one in the family with a gym member, with.
Speaker 2: A gym members Yeah, She's like, I gotta go, I gotta go work out guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Michelle's do we want.
Speaker 1: An adult in the family. She's a therapist.
Speaker 3: She's right, a therapist. She's got a gym membership. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Really, Michelle is the only fully functioning adult in the house. I mean to be fair, She gets herself dressed every morning, does her hair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she watches herself. Yeah, this is she.
Speaker 3: The afs me.
Speaker 2: Ring into the kitchen after everyone's been up for a couple hours like that, guys, and they're like, oh my god, look at Michelle.
Speaker 3: We didn't know you were here.
Speaker 1: We thought you went to work the nineties. Oh. So they make a plan for Saturday, the whole family can go to the gym together since they could all use a little toning up, except in Jesse's case, he brags that he would just be toning tone.
Speaker 3: Toning, tony, tony. All right, this is nineties shout back.
Speaker 1: Steph offers to provide the workout music. She tries to redeem her version of On Top of Old Smokey again, but it still isn't working. Michelle walks in after hearing this noise. She puts her hands on her hips and says, Stephanie, you are not good. Jesse decides step in and help his knees. He takes the recorder and plays the same song, but alas he can't hit that note either. Michelle frowns in his direction, you are not good too. She's so funny, like her delivery of all of her lines in this episode, just.
Speaker 3: Yeah and I like, I always.
Speaker 2: I can absolutely picture Adria on the side of it doing it herself, and then them repeating, do.
Speaker 1: You know did Brian Cale give Adria line readings? Like I'm just like Adrian was so big.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I think they. Yeah, No, they worked together.
Speaker 2: Brian Cale the dialogue like would work with they, you know, he kind of delivered the notes from like Jeff and directors and whatever what they were looking for would tell Adria, and then she knew them well enough that her, you know, she would get them to kind of say it how they want it.
Speaker 1: Amazing. This is just an amazing It's like a game of telephone again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's so funny.
Speaker 1: So Jesse examines the recorder and realizes there's something stuck in there. He blows a bunch of air to dislodge the object, and it lands on Michelle's forehead. It's a piece of gum. At least it wasn't a dart with the bright pink gum stuck to her head. Michelle scowls at her, sis her, that is not funny. It's funny to me, but HILARI, yeah, great to me. So next in the kitchen, Danny is washing the dishes, as Comet observes him, just like perched there on the counter.
Speaker 2: Right, just waiting to Yeah.
Speaker 1: Danny proudly shows off the plate he just washed and holds it in front of the dog, telling him he can see himself in the reflection. Colmet licks the dish clean in response.
Speaker 2: Then I feel like Danny the dog paws on the counter. Danny would be like absolutely not no.
Speaker 1: Like none of this. Danny is not himself in this episode, like between the cake and the dog and the licking, Like, yeah, he's he's distracted. He's very, very distracted. So then Kimmy and DJ walk in. Kimmy looks at Danny and asks doing dishes another big Saturday, huh, mister t Danny narrows his eyes. It's good to see you too, Kimmy. Then he tells DJ that she missed lunch, but he saved her a sandwich. DJ halfheartedly thinks him. Kimmy reaches into her shopping bag to show off the new bathing suit she bought for her pool party. It's a red bikini with flowers all over it, and Danny admits it's you, Kimmy loud. Kimmy get like she's so clueless. Like, come on, Kimmy, like, we don't hate to rub it in to DJ.
Speaker 2: The she's been dragging DJ around the mall, uh, trying on bathing suits while d is visibly uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: Visibly uncomfortable. I know, I mean, Kimmy's dense, we all know that, but come on, this is your best friend. Like she definitely we can be a little, uh oblivious, a little, she's a lot, She's a lot oblivious in this episode. Uh So, Danny directs his attention back to DJ and tells her to eat up before they go to the gym. DJ nervously tells Kimy that she's skipping lunch today and offers Kimmy the sandwich instead. Kimmy agrees and takes the plate. Examining the food, she realizes it's ham again and reminds DJ, I've been eating your lunch for three days, and every sandwich's ham. Did your dad hit a pig with his car?
Speaker 3: That one actually made me laugh? Like that, that's a good one.
Speaker 1: DJ responds by waving her hand and saying goodbye, Kimmy. She leaves, and that's when Steph, who's been observing in the background, comes downstairs. She has overheard the conversation and asks DJ if she really has been giving her lunches to Kimmy. DJ shrugs, yeah, so what. Steph reminds her that she's been skipping breakfast and dinner too. She adds, I'm no expert, but shouldn't a person eat? Yes?
Speaker 3: Always?
Speaker 1: DJ hesitates before telling Steph she's right, she'll eat her sandwich today. Stephanie asks, you promise, and DJ nods, I promise, and she takes a small bite of the sandwich to prove it. Steph smiles much better. Now, get yourself an apple and a glass of milk, and your basic food groups.
Speaker 3: Are covered, and have a bowl of some fibers.
Speaker 1: And fiber yeah, fiber spears. Steph is the only one with good like dietary advisor. You know you got an apple, you got milk.
Speaker 2: You gotta stash the dietician of the Happy Michelle. She works in tandem with Michelle.
Speaker 1: They are going to keep this family afloat with yeah, yes.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah. They're gonna drag them all to the gem if it kills them.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Uh so, hm, where am I? Oh? Yeah? Wait, no, where am I? Yep? One? Uh?
Speaker 2: After smiles nods Steph's gone after the basic food groups are going okay, got it.
Speaker 1: Once stuff is gone, DJ grabs a napkin and spits the food out. Then she calls Comt over and gives him the rest of her sandwich. Stephanie runs downstairs at the same time and witnesses this. DJ sighs as she tells Comet, You're lucky. Dogs don't have to wear bathing suits. Melancholy music plays as Stephanie watches her sister with sadness.
Speaker 3: We cut to us, mean dogs don't have to wear bathing suits?
Speaker 1: Well, sure they can. I mean you saw Holly earlier.
Speaker 3: Didn't bikini at some point.
Speaker 1: We probably did, and I justly we haven't gotten there. Didn't the dog wear like board shorts in the best Yeah, dog.
Speaker 2: In that in that gigantic uh thing where I had broken myself and was sitting in a in a tall chair the whole time like a house plant. Yeah, we put the dog in board shorts. That was like a fever dream. The dog was in board shorts.
Speaker 1: We were hiding your broken leg because we hadn't written it into the script yet, right amaz.
Speaker 2: I think I was actually doing the move that you did at the beginning of the show.
Speaker 1: I was just waving my arms around in that episode. The ironic thing is you're the only one in the cast that really can dance, and you're the only one that commissioned that.
Speaker 3: And I was like, nope, yeah, you got it.
Speaker 1: Hey, fan Ritos, don't forget to check out our merch at how rude merch. Eh. So when we come back from our sad commercial break, Stephanie approaches DJ. You said you'd eat your sandwich. You lied. DJ makes an excuse, uh comment, stole it right out of my hand. DJ accuses her of lying again. DJ argues, no, I'm not, and Stephanie throws her arms in the air. Lie number three, When will this end? And I noticed that Candace is like looking, not looking directly at you when she says these things, which is sort of a throwback to the beer drinking episode when you're like, I can always tell when DJ lies, right because she doesn't look at me in the ice, look me in the eye. Yeah, So I'm like, oh, here it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It was good, very good for.
Speaker 1: A show that's not known for continuity. Like I was very impressed. Right, I'm so glad we got that right At least forgot one thing right. Yeah, so DJ explains, I've got one week to look good in a bathing suit in front of my friends. When the party's over, I'll start eating again. But until then, this is.
Speaker 3: Our secret, terrible secret.
Speaker 1: No, Steph hesitates, so DJ insists that she give that she gives her the pinky, but Steph worriedly shakes her head. No, not the pinky. DJ begs, you have to promise not to tell anyone that I haven't been eating. When her little sister doesn't oblige, DJ grabs her hand and forces her to do the pinky swear anyway. Stephanie hesitantly tells DJ that she pinky swears, but she doesn't like it. DJ responds, too bad. Your lips are sealed.
Speaker 3: Pinky squares are legally bind they are.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, and this is I mean, this is a good episode for you, for your character too. I mean, yes, for sure, DJ, this is her episode, but like this is a moral dilemma for Stephanie too, and you really watch your character struggle.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you have, you know, multiple kids, you know that there's always something that comes up, usually with the older one and sometimes with younger one.
Speaker 3: That the other sibling knows, and it's like, oh my god, I can't you know.
Speaker 2: It's very it's a difficult position for kids to be in because they want the approval oh yeah, the older sibling, and they want to be like, you can tell me things and I'm not going to blow it. But at the same time, like I would like, I've always want makeism like if someone is in danger or it, you know, like something really bad is happening, then there's no there's no secrets, right.
Speaker 1: It's okay to break the promise if it's.
Speaker 3: If someone is in someone is in danger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's definitely like a it's an internal struggle that you see Steph dealing with throughout the whole episode. So yeah, good episode for both of you. So next we're in the gym. Oh boy, the gym is filled with muscular people dressed in tights, leg warmers, neon tank tops, and sweat bands.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 3: So peak nineties eighties, Like.
Speaker 2: I was expecting Jane Fonda across through the camera, you know what I mean, Like she it was like the aerobics of the song did people really wear that?
Speaker 3: Did really they really would like shorts on? And then like a thong unitard Leo's whatever over.
Speaker 1: It that it was stylish for I mean not long, but yes, I remember those like I would never wear one myself. But no, this is almost this whole scene looks like a parody, like an SNL parody on the nineties. It is basically it's so extreme, but that's how the nineties were. It was just obnoxious and loud.
Speaker 2: It was truly, Yeah, it was. It was very bright, very loud, and very lumpy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, I granted I don't go to the gym very often at all, but I've never been in a gym like this with so many body builders and like.
Speaker 3: Look, let me tell you.
Speaker 2: I go to Equinox and I just look around like, oh my god, there's too many pretty people here. Miserable. Yeah, everyone looks great. I'm like, none of you need to come here. Then you guys can all go home.
Speaker 1: Why are you? Yeah, you're fine to wait to decimate your self esteem by going.
Speaker 2: To the ah, right, But you know what, I think I'm gonna make myself feel better by wearing a thong lead heard.
Speaker 3: Please do ya?
Speaker 2: That was gonna be great, Like, oh my god, that's what we should be doing.
Speaker 1: So DJ and Steph enter first, and Steph Steph's face sours. It smells like a sweat sock in here. Joey flexes his muscles and says, yep, these are my people. He walks up to a very muscular and very sweaty guy, asking what do you bench, dude, and the man flexes his muscles and says Bible five. Joey confidently responds beginner, Huh, it's cool, and the man smirks it better be. Michelle looks at the man with fascination and comments, you are very lumpy.
Speaker 3: Indeed, yes he is, you are.
Speaker 1: Jesse cracks a nervous smile. I hope you're not offended, but if you are, that's her.
Speaker 3: Father right there.
Speaker 1: Danny is standing with Becky, Steph and DJ when DJ asks what's the best way to burn off calories? Again red flag.
Speaker 2: Number in the air, like, Hey, something's going on with your child, right, And they're like, oh, you want to burn the most calories when just really shred it out?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like, and Danny gives her advice. He says, tells her to make it fun and points out a bike for her to try. He encourages DJ to start off slow though on level one, so she doesn't do too much too soon. Okay, okay, that's good advice.
Speaker 3: We'll take that.
Speaker 1: We'll take it. Becky and stuff split off so they can stretch before aerobics class.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, because they love having children in adult workout lives, oh yeah, they're like, yeah, sure, no, just bring them in for you an eight year old? Why not?
Speaker 3: Eight pound doesn't matter totally.
Speaker 1: Very truely, I didn't think about that that you just mentioned it. Yep.
Speaker 2: What there's Stephanie in the she's the only kid in the only kid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and then the guys are the only guys. Although I guess you know, aerobics or co ed. That's fine. But yeah, we've got kids, we've got boys, we've got idiots like that's it's the whole gamut.
Speaker 3: Lumpy people.
Speaker 1: So meanwhile, Michelle is demanding that Joey and Jesse take her to the kiddy gym. She stomps in the right direction, saying one two, one two with each step she takes. Danny follows after them.
Speaker 3: So she runs this house with iron.
Speaker 1: She really does well. She she's yeah, she's the therapist. She's she's like, now we're going to my gym.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh okay, she's she's a leader.
Speaker 2: Truly, She's probably a little pissed off that everyone's kind of encroaching on her gym time, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: This is like like her hour.
Speaker 2: You know, every couple of days you're like, oh, I just got out of the house and then you know it like clear my mind, and now everyone's coming with her.
Speaker 1: She's right, She's like, this is the one bright spot in my day where I where I'm away from the.
Speaker 2: Got sweated out, just really you know, get on the elliptical, work it out.
Speaker 3: And she's like, now you guys are here ruin everything.
Speaker 1: I feel for her, I really do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sorry, Michelle.
Speaker 1: So DJ's alone at the bike and she decides to make some adjustments. She changes the bike from level one to level seventy five and picks up the pace.
Speaker 2: Yikes, I'm impressed with her pedaling at seventy five. Yeah, right, that's going That's not easy.
Speaker 1: So next in the kiddy Jim, Michelle arrives into the kid area and says hi to a few kids that she sees. Hi, Zachary, Hi, Kelsey, Hi kid, I don't know. Jesse pauses in the middle of the play area and reminds Michelle to warm up first, so she touches her toes three times and announces ready Freddy. Joey takes her hand and puts on his best announcer voice, saying that Michelle is competing in a triathlon. The first event is a trampoline. Michelle grabs onto the support bar and does some big jumps as she exclaims, I love this. Joey says, let's see that again in slow motion. He grabs Michelle and slowly raises her in the air as he says in a slow motion voice, I love this. Danny and Jesse give her a big round of applause. Joey takes her to the next event, the balance beam. Michelle easily walks across the grounded beam without breaking a sweat, and Joey says she's working without a net.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Lastly, Michelle will attempt a single tuck somersault with no twist. Danny and Jesse look at each other with anticipation. Joey reminds him that they need complete silence. As she prepares. Michelle takes a few exaggerated deep breaths before executing her summersault. She stands with her arms raised Teta. Everyone gives her a big round of applause, and she shouts, I am pumped for giving us a muscled up pose.
Speaker 3: Such a necessary scene.
Speaker 2: It really changes the entire direction of where we're going with this.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know if they're just trying to keep it light hearted or it's like, oh, well, I mean you can't.
Speaker 3: Well you've got to give it like that.
Speaker 2: There's been probably some time for Yeah, you've got to kind of be out of the main gym and focused on Michelle.
Speaker 1: Very true, very true.
Speaker 2: I'm surprised though nobody said anything these you know, three adult dudes walking into the kiddie Jim and they're.
Speaker 1: Just like, come on in, yeah, I know, there's it's such a different time now again. I always go for like the reality of things.
Speaker 3: I know it. We're definitely not a reality land.
Speaker 1: But it's it is funny. So next we're back in the main gym. Danny is breathing heavily as he holds a barbell in front of his face. The guys are encouraging him, saying he's got one more rep in him. Danny counts his REP two as He pushes the bar above his head and we see that there are little to no weight to add it on to it. DJ meanwhile, is still on the bike and she is drenched in sweat. She's continuing to pedal as hard as she can. The machine beeps and she stops peddling. She jumps off the bike, runs over to the scale, but is disappointed when she sees her weight. Another girl hops off the elliptical nearby, and DJ looks at her body with admiration. She hops onto the same elliptical machine and pedals quickly despite her breathlessness. Becky tells the guys it's aerobics time, so Jesse and Steph follow after her. Danny shakes his head, I'm not going to aerobics. Joey puffs his chest and says in a deep voice, me neither. But then a beautiful woman passes by and tells her friend that they have to hurry up so they don't miss aerobics. Joey stares at them longingly and says me neither, before following them, and Danny repeats me neither and follows after them too. I get the joke, but this is a terrible episode To make this joke that they're like lusty, right, beautiful women? Come on?
Speaker 2: I mean again, it was the the room. Yeah, well, well Danny's oblivious, so he has no idea.
Speaker 1: He has no clue they're not seeing.
Speaker 3: Any of them. Were they planning on working out at all?
Speaker 2: Like? What were Danny and Joey gonna do if they weren't going to aerobics and they're not lifting weights?
Speaker 3: Did they just come to harassed bodybuilders? What are they doing?
Speaker 1: Maybe they're just there to watch the shell. I don't I don't know. It's it's not well thought out, but we get this hilarious sight gag in the next scene in the in the aerobics class, well, dj is pushing herself way too hard on the elliptical. We cut to the aerobics class. Danny, Jesse, and Joey are trying to follow the aerobics instructors moves, but they are failing miserably. The instructor pumps up her students and calls out the guys specifically, come on, staring at a woman is not a workout, and Joey disagrees. It's got my heart going pretty good. The instructor asks the guys if they're going to make it in here. They unenthusiastically say yes. In unison, she asks do you always have tears in your eyes when you exercise? And they nod yes. She encourages them to move to the front so they can see her better. They oblige, and they make their way up to the front of the class while simultaneously trying to continue the workout. They move right in front of Becky and Steph and I love that you're wearing suspenders, like that's part of your workout.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean you need it to keep a leotard up, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: They have a tendency to slide down.
Speaker 2: I don't know it's but it was everyone's gym outfits for a family that doesn't go to the gym. They've got some really clean like Jim looks, you know what I mean. They yes, put some effort into it.
Speaker 1: They did, they did, And I just thought you looked so dang cute when you're pink suspense and stuff.
Speaker 2: Laurie and I both had the little half half down like matching things.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was so cool.
Speaker 3: It was just nineties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So the workout starts to get faster. The guys cannot get these moves down for the life of them, so their bodies are just flailing around without any rhythm whatsoever. Bob is particularly funny with this limbs.
Speaker 2: Bob's limbs, he always he just was gangly, you know what I mean. So he'd like start throwing his limbs around, and he just looked so awkward because he just could be. And if you look at my face, I am cracking up the whole time I'm watching Bob.
Speaker 3: I'm as usual. I'm watching Bob and I'm like just in the background laughing.
Speaker 1: Oh man, I didn't notice that. That's so great. It's yeah, it is a sight to behold. Indeed. So the instructor tells everyone to rest, and the men fall to the floor. Steph grinns DJ's got to see this, and she runs out to find her sister. The instructor reminds everyone that that was just the warm up, so now they can start the class. The men grown at this news. Jesse decides he's gonna go work out with Michelle, and Danny follows suit. Joey, on the other hand, is still laying on the floor. He decides it would be best for him to stay there because he can't move.
Speaker 3: Back.
Speaker 1: In the main gym, DJ is still pushing herself on the elliptical. When Steph finds her, she insists that DJ come and do aerobics with them because she's missing all the fun. DJ tells Steph she'll be right there and proceeds to get off the elliptical machine. When she starts to follow her sister, she looks disoriented and falls to the ground. Stephanie sees this and yells for her dad to help. The whole family gathers around DJ, and Danny asks if she's okay. DJ holds her head and admits she just got a little dizzy. Jesse gives her some water to drink, and DJ assures everyone that she's okay, she just overdid it. Stephanie tries to speak up but DJ, but DJ cuts off her little sister Steph, I'm okay. Danny decides they better get Missy all and head on home, and Stephanie watches DJ with defeat. I can see that internal struggle. I can see it. Yeah, such a hard position to begin.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So in the kitchen, Steph is setting the table, Joey is finishing up dinner, and Becky is getting her feet rubbed by Jesse. DJ runs down and greets her family. Danny asks if she's feeling better after her nap, and she tells him she's good as new. Becky asks are you sure, and DJ nods yes, I'm sure. Steph chimes in, are you really sure? And DJ snaps would everybody quit making such a big deal about this?
Speaker 3: Joey tells DJ, I don't think they've made it a big deal enough right there.
Speaker 2: For the first two questions, and anyone's.
Speaker 1: Asks, well, this is short. She's hungry, like she's obviously like she is just angry and doesn't want anyone giving her any attention. Joey tells DJ he made her favorite chicken parmesan. He holds out the spoon for her to taste the sauce, but she makes another excuse. I can't. I just brushed my teeth. Jesse wonders before dinner, and she sighs doesn't anybody care about dental hygiene around here? And Danny tells her to calm down. In fact, he deeply cares about their family's teeth and gums. When he asks what's going on, DJ assures him it's nothing. She tells everyone that she's going over to Kimmy's for dinner. Stephanie decides to INTERVENE don't believe her dad. DJ reminds her she pinkies wore, and Steph persists, I don't care. I don't want you to get sick. Oh, Steph, Oh, Steph. Steph tells her dad that DJ hasn't eaten in three days, and Danny is shocked. He asks DJ if that's true. Jesse insists that she sit and eat right now. She argues, I can't. I'm finally starting to lose weight. Joey tells her she's starving herself and she could do some serious damage to her body. Danny sternly tells her this kind of behavior can lead to serious eating disorders andarexia. Blameia, You're headed down a dangerous road here. DJ shouts, I don't care. I'm the one who has to wear a bathing suit next week. It's my life and I can do whatever I want. She storms away before they can tell her otherwise, and Danny follows her upstairs. Steph looks to her uncle Jesse for reassurance. I hope she's not mad at me, and Jesse tells her she did the right thing. And DJ's lucky to have a.
Speaker 3: Sister like her.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh, this was a great scene. Like, this was a great scene. Yeah, Like they're finally they finally caught on. They're giving her some solid advice. Yeah, and Stephanie does the right thing, and of course stuff is just worried as DJ mad at me, like it's heartbreaking, you.
Speaker 2: Know, yeah, which is always Yeah, that's always the thing, like someone's are like, oh, I maybe I did the right thing, but like.
Speaker 3: You're gonna hate you know, yeah, you know, but I love that.
Speaker 2: That was like an example that they set on the show of like, look, even when you pinky swear and you know, if someone's in danger or not making smart, healthy choices, like you can break that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you can say something. That's a great lesson, one of the one of the best lessons of the episode. Yeah. So up in the girls room, DJ storms into the room and Danny tells her they need to talk. DJ yells with tears in her eyes. You don't understand. I don't like the way I look.
Speaker 3: She grabs one of someone that stabbed me in the heart.
Speaker 2: Oh that one hurt, because I just know every teenage girl feels that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that got to me. That got to me too, like even now at age forty eight, like it just it brought me right back to being an insecure teenage girl. And even like even now, you know, like who is an insecure about certain parts of them? And yeah, it's just you feel so badly for DJ, and yeah, this really hits home. DJ grabs one of the magazines and points to the woman on the cover. I want to look like these models and Danny asks why, and DJ tearfully says, because they're beautiful. Danny responds, so are you, DJ argues, show me one girl in here with this round face and these Charlie Brown cheeks. She slumps down on her bed and Danny follows, this is such a good performance, Like Candace is knocking it out of the park with this. Yeah. So it's just very very powerful.
Speaker 2: And I think that's it's a really powerful scene. And it also you know, knowing Candace over the years and stuff she struggled with, like it kind of it it makes it, like we said, almost harder to watch because you're like, this feels.
Speaker 3: Too weirdly personal.
Speaker 2: Yeah you know what I mean, Like you're like, oh, like you know again, great epist so necessary episode, but it was definitely something that was really going on for her. So it's like watching it again, you're like, oh god, I can't imagine having to like perform that while I'm feeling it.
Speaker 1: And it makes me so mad that she went through that, and that people did comment on her cheeks and her face like shields great, like so many girls were like I wish I looked like you. And she felt so insecure right about it, And I'm so mad that people made her feel that way. You know, that's so wrong, and that's that stuff that carries with you for the rest of your life. You know. It's a very formative age. And so yeah, it made me mad to watch this and it yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: Maybe mad, and also did make me appreciate that we have come a long way.
Speaker 1: I mean, as.
Speaker 2: You know, screwed up, as some things are, Like, I do feel like in some ways we have made progress. It's always, you know, three steps forward and a step back. But do you feel like in the past ten years we've gotten to a much different place. I agree, although you know now everybody's on it was empic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's about progress, not perfection, and I think we have progressed quite a bit about about these conversations that we have. Yeah, and yeah, I'd be interested if Fuller had tackled this topic or this kind of episode. I'm very curious how how they would have done that and how it would have been written. Hopefully the adults wouldn't have been so clueless about right, the red flags that were screaming, you know, in neon lights. But yeah, well there was a.
Speaker 2: Lot of neon, so you couldn't tell what was from the red flags or what was from people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in this episode, hard to see totally. So Danny gently reminds DJ that people come in all shapes and sizes. In fact, everybody wishes they could change something about them. He admits when he was a kid, I wish I could have been more like that guy on The Incredible Hulk. DJ asks you wanted to be a big green monster with muscles, and Danny clarifies, no, not him, the guy that turned into the Hulk. He was just nice and average, not too tall, not too skinny. He didn't stick out like I thought I did. But then I realized he didn't have it so easy either. Every time he lost his temper, he had to buy a new shirt. DJ admits, you made me smile, but there's still no way I'm wearing a bathing suit in front of my friends. Danny changes his approach. Why do you like your friends, She shrugs, because they're nice and we have fun together. Danny asks, not because they all look like models, and DJ shakes her head. No. He continues, Maybe that's because, deep down inside, you know that how a person looks on the outside isn't nearly as important as who they are on the inside.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: DJ can't hide her smile as she nods in agreement. Right. Danny takes a seat next to her. I wish you could see yourself the way you see your friends. Everybody who knows the real DJ knows she's pretty terrific.
Speaker 2: If only we could all see ourselves the way other people see I know, yeah, so much easier.
Speaker 1: We're so hard on ourselves, and I see it now, like with my own teenagers. You know, it's like they're so self content. I'm like, everyone else is just as self conscious about themselves as you are about yourself.
Speaker 2: Right, and you're what scrutinized until they get over it, They'll net you won't fully understand until you go oh, I actually don't care what anyone thinks.
Speaker 3: But it takes a long time to get.
Speaker 1: It takes a very long time.
Speaker 3: It's and it's yeah, and it's super uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: So I always say, like, I hope, I hope that people find that comfort and ease in their own skin.
Speaker 1: Sooner rather than later. I've always told my girls, I'm like, you get you.
Speaker 2: Get one body, yep, one body, and that's your little vessel to carry you through stuff. So treat it well and appreciate it, and appreciate the stuff that works well, and you know, and and just try and not think about all the things that you don't like, because I mean we all have that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, yep, everybody's got the one thing that they're self conscious about. Danny was definitely right in that in that respect. Yeah, but yeah, no, that's it's great advice, great advice, and it does take a long time, you know. The best I say, the best part about being forty in my forties is that I don't give a crap.
Speaker 2: Well, people think you don't care, no, not at all, they have none, zero.
Speaker 1: Yes. So DJ grins at Danny's words of wisdom and pulls him in for a hug. Thanks Dad, I love you, and Danny responds, I love you too. That's why I want you to take care of yourself. I want you to promise me that you're going to eat healthy and exercise the right way. She nods, I promise, no more crash diets. I'm gonna go to Kimmy's party and have fun with my friends. And Danny beams, that's great. Is there anything else you want to talk about? DJ responds, yeah, is dinner ready? Danny laughs, and he tells her they'll go check, and DJ rattles off her order. First, I'll start with a salad dressing on the side. Danny ooh's at her request and follows her into the kitchen. And that is our show. That oh wow, heavy heavy episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, heavy episode an episode that Yeah, it was, you know, I think we would have been dealt with a lot differently today.
Speaker 3: I will be excited to have.
Speaker 2: Our conversation with mel Samuels though, definitely, who has extensive knowledge and is a nutritionist and extensive knowledge of eating disorders or just disordered eating in general right and keeping yourself healthy. And I'm very excited to talk with her about it and see like you know, what are her notes?
Speaker 1: What would she yes do differently or how would she approach it differently. Yes, we will continue this conversation with her. She's going to watch the episode and we're going to talk all about it some more. So definitely stay tuned for more about this very important episode. Yes, this very special episode.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you guys for joining us, and we were so excited to continue this conversation with our next episode.
Speaker 1: But thank you.
Speaker 3: Guys for listening. We love you.
Speaker 2: Fana Rito's make sure you're following us on Instagram at how Rude podcast or sending us emails at how rudepanoritos at gmail dot com.
Speaker 3: You got it, I did it, and yeah.
Speaker 2: Leave us comments, suggestions, questions, all the kind of fun stuff like and subscribe to the podcast wherever you're listening to it so that you can get all the new episodes and we will see you next time.
Speaker 3: Because remember the world is small. The house is full of lumpy bodybuilt really there's only two. They just take up so much space.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sweaty lumpy bodybuilders. Oh they're sweaty in that they're so shiny, yump people on purpose. They love they make themselves shiny anyway, that's that's a visual. We don't need see you next time. Hi,