Speaker 1: And that's what you really missed with Jenna.
Speaker 2: And Kevin an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Welcome to and that's what you were in this podcast. Hi Kevin, Hi Jenna. How's it going.
Speaker 2: It's pretty good.
Speaker 1: How's New York?
Speaker 2: It's so good.
Speaker 1: I'm so jealous, so good.
Speaker 2: I still can't believe I'm here.
Speaker 1: You're doing it your New York dreams in a theater and doing a live musical. I had a dream last night I was doing the same musical as you, but not in the same musical as you. We were doing it at the same time, but we were in different productions.
Speaker 2: We were in different productions of Spelling Bee or was it a different show?
Speaker 1: No, it's spelling be Wow. Really yeah, So.
Speaker 2: Who would you want to be in Spelling Being? Oh?
Speaker 1: I had a dream last night. It was Marcy Park, But obviously all it is like a big dream of mine too.
Speaker 2: I would like to see you do both, gunning for you to do like a An Olive.
Speaker 1: I love Olive. I mean, nobody can beat Celia Kanan Moodrew, but I'm very excited for your your guys.
Speaker 2: Person, Jasmine is really damn good. Of course she is in rehearsal today. Literally, I looked over here and I'm like, I'm just gonna cry looking at you, I know, because she's so good. She's so good. Today. I came back from lunch actually, and I was like, who is this in the rehearsal room. Just Lin Manuel.
Speaker 1: Hanging out? Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, no, he's working on something in the same rehearsal Yeah, in the next room.
Speaker 1: And so wait, that's so exciting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we like he just popped in and someone was like, you have to come be a guest speller.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: For those of you who don't know, so, Spelling Beat is a musical comedy that's an actual spelling beat of middle schoolers. And every single show there are four audience volunteers, and so we have audience members come and spell and join the Spelling Beat. So, you know, we're always trying to get people to come up and be speller. So we asked Lin Manuel.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that would be so epic, and he said.
Speaker 2: He would do it. You knew who came in last week was Robbie Malick? What And he said he'd be a guest.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Kevin, this is going to be so exciting.
Speaker 2: Also, rehearsing in the same studio. Oh Tom Hanks for a play. I didn't see him, but yeah.
Speaker 1: Wow, everybody's thinking it to the theater, isn't it crazy? Oh cool? Oh my gosh, that's the fun. And then Lily Cooper, who is also in your production, who was Spring Awakening with both Lee and Groff and Skyler. She was the original Marches. She's who I replaced when I came to Broadway, and she's doing it with you now, and I literally she sent me a photo on Friday of the two of you, and I gasped. And the jealousy and envy that you guys get to hang out together and do a show together is beyond. Lily was my girl in Spring Wakening. At least don't order Sushie before the show. Oh we just we vibe. And I know you.
Speaker 2: Should be jealous of She's so good at this.
Speaker 1: I know, why wouldn't she be. She is a Tony word nominee.
Speaker 2: She's such a good rona. Of course, it's weird for me because she's like, you know, I'm playing a child, she's playing an adult.
Speaker 1: She's actually younger than me in real life. Yes, well of course, yes, yeah, but she must have. She just is so graceful with like her mood, like how she moves and how she sings.
Speaker 2: She's also so funny. Oh she sounds, she has. Her songs are obviously insane.
Speaker 1: Yes, they're crazy, right, they're.
Speaker 2: Crazy, and she's finding all this comedy and smart. I have really enjoyed about the theater is in the rehearsal process, Like you get to watch everybody's process and everybody's just a little different, and like watching her and like the question she comes up with to ask, like she's just so smart.
Speaker 1: She's so smart A veteran. Yeah, Wow, are you enjoying the rehearsal process?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it's so much fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like you'd like the parsal process a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm really enjoying it because when we did it last year, I mean it's it's a different production. There's only three of us that are the same, right, but yeah, same director. Yeah, yeah, so we have we've had time to think about it for the past year.
Speaker 1: Is your version going to be different this time around because of everybody else, like the like the chemistry you're in or is it similar?
Speaker 2: It's a little different, very exciting, There's there's there's definitely a few differences, but yeah, you know, it's like you get to find and be more nuanced and like your understanding of these characters when you have.
Speaker 1: More time, and then in the performance it'll be the same thing. It'll evolve because you're in for a longer amount of time.
Speaker 2: And so it's just been really nice to like hang out with this group. Everybody's so talented, like so stupidly talented.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is really what a what a cast I am? I am green with envy.
Speaker 2: And it's nice to be able to like last thing I'll say about it, and I'll probably say this a bunch of more times on here, but it's nice to honestly, it's very similar to Glee. It's nice to not be doing like a really serious there's obviously like serious themes that come up in the show, but it is like comedy comedy, comedy, and it's so well written. It's so funny, feel good.
Speaker 1: People are feeling good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's it's so smart and like it's so tight, it's sort of bulletproof, like we just have to work to not mess it up.
Speaker 1: But jealous and.
Speaker 2: We have like yeah, Rachel, like the real writer is there.
Speaker 1: She's with this school.
Speaker 2: The original Have I told you any of this? The original vocal arranger is in the room with us every day. That's special rearranging some of the harmonies because she's like, oh she was twenty four when she did it, and she was like yeah, you know, she's not often you get to go back and be.
Speaker 1: Like wow, like she can change yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. It's like a director in a film we done.
Speaker 2: We're doing that with like the o G people.
Speaker 1: Well, this is very exciting. I can't wait to hear the journey. More of the journey. But I am just here for it, and I am You're doing one of my dream shows, and so I am just so.
Speaker 2: And then I got to come home and watch Greece Too.
Speaker 1: Well, Kevin, here we are. This is Greece too.
Speaker 2: It sure is so Greece too. No premiered.
Speaker 1: That's it. That's the episode.
Speaker 2: Greece two came out June eleventh, nineteen eighty two, four years.
Speaker 1: Later to the Day of Greek Almost did the Day of Greece for me? Yes, So in the news, the number one song was Ebony and Ivory by Paul McCartney and ste You Wonder.
Speaker 2: The number one movie was et can you imagine being the movie that opened against et and wasn't it four years earlier when STEVENS. Pielberg did Jaws. It came out the same summer as Grease. I mean, it went on to become the highest grossing film of the entire decade, and fun fact, it actually held the all time box office record until Jurassic Park, which is also you know, Steven Spielberg, he dethroned himself.
Speaker 1: He's nice to want to himself unbelievable. Obviously, this was pretty ly, but there was some fun pop culture.
Speaker 2: Thing I love. Honestly, some of my favorite parts of the show of doing this podcast is like the pop culture moments.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like the vh one, like in the behind the scenes kind of bubble things. Do you remember the I had that video sture thing, yes, pap up video Okay in nineteen eighty two. That was peak early eighties. So lots of synth, lots of pop and obviously MTV, which sadly just just closed its doors for after so many years. It is done. Goodbye.
Speaker 2: MTV's done.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm, MTV is goodbye.
Speaker 2: Oh so, which is why the VMA's were like on paramount plus or CBS or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how weird.
Speaker 2: The magic of being able to like come home after school and go watch your favorite music videos.
Speaker 1: It was really special. What a gift that these kids will never understand coming home and watching TRL.
Speaker 2: You know what I wish, and those of you listening you can let us know your thoughts on this, Like I wish we could create another type of like music show.
Speaker 3: That would do similar TRL, but like talking music, talking talk talk videos, talking artists.
Speaker 2: And also like music discovery because I feel like TikTok. You know, that's such like a big part of TikTok, like making it current. So I feel like there's a current version because you can't try to make tierre al Tierra was for.
Speaker 1: That time, right, but we are to do it for twenty five.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's a public We don't want the same things, so we just that's right. But what we do want is to have a connection with artists that is the same.
Speaker 1: Yes, definitely community. Uh MGB had just launched less than a year earlier, and music videos were obviously in the new frontier as we had said, So we are at the beginning of music videos, which is crazy.
Speaker 2: Other box office hits that Summer, Rocky three, Star Trek two, The Wrath of Khan, Annie, Oh my God, and Poltergeist.
Speaker 1: Okay, well we have to talk about Annie for a second, and like we have to do that movie. Yeah, would you guys want us to do Annie? Let us know, no changes.
Speaker 2: I don't care if they want us to do any We have to do Annie.
Speaker 1: Change my life. Okay. On TV, we were tuning into Dallas Dynasty, Cheers and mash and.
Speaker 2: I mean we were we were too young.
Speaker 1: We were born other people were. I wasn't born yet. I thought.
Speaker 2: The first CD player was introduced in Japan that year, changing how people listen to.
Speaker 1: Music, and Time magazine's Man of the Year that year was the computer. Can you believe that?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Sony Walkman's were everywhere. That must have accessory little cassettes on your belt.
Speaker 1: We also had early video games like pac Man, Donkey Kong, and Froger were Arcade Sensation.
Speaker 2: It's crazy how quickly all of this has progressed. Wow, Like it's just saying the Equal Rights Amendment movement was in full swing of the US.
Speaker 1: Okay, this one's going to make you all feel old. Prince William was porn on June twenty first, nineteen eighty two, just days after Greece two premiered.
Speaker 2: And pop culture was shifting from Go to a new waves, setting the tone for the rest of the eighties.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is Greace too. Now let me just preface this with my memory of this movie. I had beloved memories of this movie growing up.
Speaker 2: You're not alone in that.
Speaker 1: Michelle Pfeiffer was so cool. I mean, that does unchanged right my opinion there, but cool writer was like iconic in my eyes. These songs We're going to score tonight, like all of these things were so The four season song like We're so Vivid in my memory is great memories And that's just what they were, memories. Because I started watching this yesterday, I texted you, which I normally text you, and said, I cannot get through this. I had to scrub through this whole movie. I watched it, you better believe it. I watched it, but I scrubbed some of this. I got the gist of some of it. I'm not gonna lie to you people, and I watched all the musical numbers. I remember a lot of it. It's very vivid. I've definitely seen this movie more than once. For sure. I know that, Like I don't remember it, but I know because it was all very vivid in my mind. But what was I thinking this was the amount of shots that they had of the entire cast just standing in a doorway or standing watching something was astounding. It was very grass it was lacking. The songs were god awful. And I did not like this film.
Speaker 2: So I don't think you're alone. And people's memory of this. Georgie who's a friend of mine and an incredible she directed The Frogs. She's a great director. She's staying with me right now. She came in while I was watching. She's like, oh my god, I love this movie.
Speaker 1: Girl.
Speaker 2: And then was sitting there watching and she's like, oh my god, I guess I don't remember. And Sam, our producer, had the exact same thing. Because here, the weird thing about this movie is that it feels younger and more hyper sexualized at the same time than.
Speaker 1: Greece, like corny and campy and not as good and yet much crosser and dirtier and more mature.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and and maybe this is just hindsight. When you have like the amount of stars that were in Greece, like John Travolta obviously is still successful today Luneton. John had an incredible career, and that those are only two of the people in it, right. Yeah, where Greece too, I mean, Michelle Pfeiffer is a star and did what she could with what she had.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: But there's a lot of differences, and I think the biggest difference is is that Greece was based off of an already proven musical stage show.
Speaker 1: This is the problem with sequels, right.
Speaker 2: And it's like the sequels always fall in regardless if it's a musical or not. It's like, how much of like referencing or doing again in a slightly different way do you want from the first one?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's kind of like the the best time I know how to explain is like in our day and age of like watching a really good TV show based on a really beloved book and they do one season and it's short because it's a streamer, and you do twelve episodes. Then it's excellent, right, it's so good, it's what you would hope for. And then they decide, oh, wow, it's doing really well, well we have to do right the second season then and it's like a full departure from the book, and it's a full departure from season one, and they're like, what are we going to do? And it like loses the plot a little bit.
Speaker 2: I mean, so much of the magic of Grease was obviously their chemistry, but I also think they had the chemistry. You were able to see the chemistry because of how it was written, the dynamic shooting, the characters are just not the same. And the second one, right, you also have like your two leads no offense to Michelle Fifer and and it's like a brand new Max well Callfield. But they were the weakest singers in the entire thing, right, and you have them like leading it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like we had some recurring players, but most of the cast was brand new. It's like bringing in a new class like on Glee, like but like and expecting people to like yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And like this is why reboots often do not work, or like spinoffs, because like, yeah, you have some of your anchor characters, but like those aren't Frenchy, yes, but like yes, and as good as all the people who are in the in Greece one are and are in Greece too, Like we're not coming back necessarily for them, Oh I know, and none of them, not a single song, not a single song is as good as the worst song in Grease one, even your beloved cool writer that everyone, even Georgie. Georgie was like, oh cool writer was a Jams. I'm like, go back and listen.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, I know, I know.
Speaker 2: I mean there's there's like an almost sexual assault and a bunker and he has a gun, he lives, he lost her, and a bunker and then it's seemed to her with a gun trying to get her to sleep with him. I was like, I know it was a different time, but damn, damn. Yeah, Like it's not cute seeing funny when you're like locked to this girl and this bunker and you have a gun.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, I know.
Speaker 2: There's just none of the charm.
Speaker 1: And I think they were really going for like getting back to like the grit of the original and like yelling grittier, but it just didn't didn't quite. The mixture wasn't right like the you know, it was like it's like a banking experiment, just like the ingredients were not, the measurements were off.
Speaker 2: No, and it's like you know, you started off with having I mean Maxwell Cawfield beautiful, Oh my gosh, beautiful, great actor. Yeah, but like oh Cousins, oh God, like Cousins of the Living and job, but he's British and not Australian, and like you're literally doing the same thing, but it's a guy with blonde hair instead of a girl with blonde hair and not from America.
Speaker 1: I know it's not great.
Speaker 2: There's so many issues. And you mentioned it about like some of the directing and look, I think Patricia Birch in Greece one who who choreographed it, and she choreographed the original stage production. Incredible job. Yeah, yeah, this was her directorial debut. From the outset, this movie is over choreographed. Oh, it's deeply like every number is a huge production number. You know how many numbers in that in Greece were just one person just sort of standing there and it was great and you got to you got to be with the character a little bit. That doesn't happen in this movie.
Speaker 1: Like even the opening number as they like go into the classrooms and all everybody's filing in the song kind of like tapers, and it's like everybody's still just dancing versus like people in their own world living this like you know, elevated imaginary world thing through song, but everybody's in it, and it's like, oh, it takes you so deeply out of it where people are like rocking and a roll on the on the flagpole.
Speaker 2: It made me, It made me realize, you know, how hard it is to do like a really great musical, And it made me realize how Greece won was able to do those things where yes, like you're breaking into song and how do you make it feel natural? Or there's like a dream sequence, how do you make that feel natural that we like we're buying into that. And it was like the opening of the of Greece too, there's like a phantom singer. You don't know who's singing the lead vocals of this. He is not, actually he's not in this. Then Maxwell Coffield does this song later on, Yes, exactly, like who's singing? And then it okay in any thing, Yeah, And like those things just do not work, no, I know in this at least, like I think there's obviously a world in which those things could work, but I know it, so it would almost be better if they tried to make it if it was like a lot more different, because it looked like they were. It looked like these were all like reject songs from the original, and like, oh, let's just throw more on it. Let's add eighty more dancers and do a bigger shot.
Speaker 1: I know. Here's here's the thing. So this is how the sequel actually happened. So Grease became a global hit in nineteen seventy eight, and Alan Carr struck a deal with Paramount to make a sequel with a five million dollar production fee and a total budget of eleven Now that's double the first film. Ironically, Car tapped Patricia Birch we would choreographed both the stage and film versions of Greased, to direct, and Birch was hesitant at first since Jim Jacobs and Warren Casey, who wrote the original stage show, and John jabaldin oliving Newton John were not returning. So there was definitely hesitancy there, which makes sense. And I feel like it was almost like overcompensating for it, Like we were overcompensating for the fact that like this was in Greece, right, So, and then also we had Bronte wood Woodard, who adapted the first film, had also sadly passed away, so Paramount hired a Canadian writer, Ken Finkleman, who was also writing another film, Airplane Too, to write a new script, almost from scratch. So like there were a lot of things like working against them. It sounds like, and then this, like what I had mentioned, Burch's goal was to bring the story back to gritty or more rebellious tone, to the original Chicago stage musical something she had built and stopping in the glossy California set grease. But like we already said that, so like let's not go back on that tone, Like let's just let's lean back into the tone that worked, you know what I mean. So that was just some of like how the sequel, the history behind how the sequel came to be, I mean.
Speaker 2: And like Birch had ideas, like for she was hoping she would get cameos from Travolta and Olivan John and Jeff Conaway and Soccer Channing, and I think like even she had ideas like Danny and Sandy were a married couple running a gas station with Travolta singing a new song called gas Pump Jockey. Like I just think these ideas were just not not right. In the early script, titled Summer School, would have centered around Kaniki and Rizzo getting married, but once that fell through, Birch rebuilt the story around the new Pink Ladies and Tea Birds. And here's the thing, It's like the t birds and what world were the tea Birds auditioned willingly and wanted to be in like a any sort of stage production of it for the high School. It's like none of it felt.
Speaker 1: Or organic to like the original story, and you.
Speaker 2: Did already set the thing and had a really successful movie. Yeah, so much so that like this was supposed to be part of like a bigger Grease like universe. They were gonna have spin offs and TV shows and then this movie like didn't do well, so then they scrapped all of it. But it sounds like like they didn't have like the I mean, it is easy to say for us, you know, with how many years hindsight, where it's like the magic of this movie wasn't the things that they think it was. Producer Alan Carr and Birch tested Andy Gibb and Timothy Hutton for the lead before casting Maxwell Cawfield. That's crazy.
Speaker 1: Wow, Yeah, I liked Maxwell.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, Birch, I guess Burch said at some point like they were all in love with maxwelltick.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, yeah, obviously beautiful. Wait, this is funny. So like on set there was some notes in like the movie opens with the big back to School number, and the cast recalled the choreography as grueling but joyous for the week of rehearsal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah. The bowling alley scene for Score Tonight was a highlight, but also a hazard. The sub three floors caused several injuries, and Fifer had to hide a black eye behind sunglasses were falling off a dock between shoot days.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. Well and then also Fifer's ladder climbing became obviously iconic. It's like the thing we all talk about, right, but she later admitted she was mortified at first. I thought, really, you want me to get up on a gyrate on a ladder? But I trusted Pat and honestly best part of the day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, cool rider. I thought Homeboy died. George and I were like, wait, did he die? I'm like, there's still twenty five minutes after this movie. Did he just die? Like, no explanation. They didn't even show the cliff how it was shot, like you couldn't even sty like, oh, it's it's really far down there, Like what are you looking at? Because we're not we're not getting a view of it. The Rock of.
Speaker 1: Hula No no, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: Wrong, for so many reasons, was filmed. It was freezing out and the cast shivered through tropical costumes and joked that their smiles froze midtake. Yea believing Newton John came and visited set during that.
Speaker 1: Oh that's cute. Yeah, okay, So the critics weren't kind Kevin Yeah. New York Times called it dizzy and slight. Variety praised the inventive choreography but said it lacked the magic of the first Yes, that's correct, and Ebert said it recycled Grease without the stars, without the energy, without the freshness.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Even co creator Jim Jacobs called it awful. The pits, but Fifer earned ray reviews and Fifer was great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's taking away. Yeah, I don't think there was any problem with anybody's performance, Like, I think everyone was great.
Speaker 1: No, no, for sure, everybody was really great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's I think it was just sort of like the behind the scenes, yeah, whether Yeah, like everyone showed up and was doing it and doing a great job.
Speaker 1: No, for sure, and also like it obviously didn't it wasn't well received, but midnight screenings being popping up, so we're seeing that rocky horror vibe of like the cults picking it up, the groups kind of appreciating it in the way that they did, and obviously new generations kept discovering it through VHS and cable and shioming like us, and it's a cold classic to this day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's one of those things where cold classic a lot of time means not good, flop flop. Yeah. I had never seen this before. Oh wow, I thought I had. I was like, surely I've seen.
Speaker 1: This, okay, And what was your feeling going into it versus when you started watching it?
Speaker 2: Well, I think most of my life I had heard that it was really bad and like, you know, there's always jokes about it. Yeah, and then someone told me recently they're like they're like, we talked about Greece too, I don't remember before we started doing this version of the podcast. Yeah, and they told me, like, you know what, it's really actually good, Like I think it's just as good, in some parts better than the original stop. And I'm thinking now, either one that person is insane or two they haven't seen it since they were a kid, because they probably thought it was great.
Speaker 1: As a kid. Fair Enough, it's hard.
Speaker 2: I think I understand. You know that because of the success of the first one, you get a big check to make another one, and you want to do it, and you want it to be bigger and better, and sometimes or a lot of times, less is more. The first one was really simple and just had incredible music.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't like I don't like poo pooing on art like people are gonna love it and whatever. It just wasn't for me, Like I my memory should have stayed in my memory the way it stayed, because now I'm sad that it's not what I remembered of Greece too.
Speaker 2: Look, if you love this movie and have a great time watching it, that is great. But I think watching this back to back, as we've done with Greece and the rest, I think they're just not of the same universe. This feels like a TV movie, and Greece feels like it is. Had been the biggest grossing musical movie until a year ago.
Speaker 1: It's it's also I think, in my opinion, way too long.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It was like some of those shots at the end, I'm like, you could snipping away at this cut cut cut.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it moved slow. I think that was also. It wasn't just long, it moved like the pace was wrong. You know.
Speaker 2: We talked about with Grease one, there's so much happens in it, but every single scene there was like rising tension, there were stakes in every single scene.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: With this, it was like a lot of just chilling. I feel it got out.
Speaker 1: Let's draw it out.
Speaker 2: It's so strange.
Speaker 1: I know. It's also when your lead character is written or maybe interpreted the way that Maxwell did it like very calm, like when your lead is Tribalta and you got that energy driving it, whereas you have this like very timid guy kind of like whispering.
Speaker 2: Well, it was like it was like gender reversal of the first.
Speaker 1: Movie, right of course, which I don't mind him trying to having to change himself for her, but like I don't think it worked, and it just it feel like a totally different movie to me, Like it wasn't great.
Speaker 2: The reason also, like we got with the with the first one Eliving Newton John was with the Pink Ladies for almost all of that movie. Either she's being made fun of or she's hanging out with she's around the girls that she eventually sort of becomes He's never He just all of a sudden becomes like a biker guy, and we don't have like if he was integrated into the Tea Birds, that would be something I know that would be more similar, but like that never happened. So he's like sort of on his own island the entire movie. And then it's like, Okay, he comes back and there's two biker gangs and then there's him as a third thing that nobody.
Speaker 1: And the additional biker ganging like enemy like outside of the groups versus like the rivalry withinside the groups. Like also just kind of like took me out of it. It didn't remind me of stand Loot a little bit.
Speaker 2: Stand Lot is a perfect movie.
Speaker 1: No, I don't touch it. Perfect.
Speaker 2: Also, if you're going to bring back Frenchie, you have d D. Khan are more. Yeah, make her the stars movie.
Speaker 1: She would have been. She was the star of Last One, Yes, she was.
Speaker 2: She is so good. Don't just Yeah, that's what worries me about. Honestly, it worries me about like a Glee reyboot.
Speaker 1: Oh. It worries me every.
Speaker 2: Day because I think it could fall easily into the trap of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Grease too, Oh, don't say that, or you don't have the magic because you think you need to either bring in some of these old stars as opposed to just creating a really good story of new people.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I will say if there was a Grease Too in Glee, cool Writer definitely would have been a number that like Santana and Rachel would have fought over and there would have been a sing off and that would have been great. And then Girl for All Seasons actually with some of the gals would have been really fun.
Speaker 2: I thought Girl for All Seasons was one of the best, one of the best moments of this movie. As horrible like as reproduction is, I thought that was pretty funny and like, yeah, had some of the spirit that we were looking for that we needed.
Speaker 1: Yes, I also think that Rocca Luau or whatever it is and We'll Be Together, it was like, let's just think of something to recreate exactly what we made in Greece, wand and recreate it again, yeah, and not as good but worse. Yeah, Like why are we trying to like touch something that's so perfect and like recreate that and versus creating something new. It was like just a carbon copy but worse. I actually don't hate the song do it for our country. I hate the premise of it and the circumstances and how they did it, but the actual song is like it is also very sticky for me, Like it's it, I remember it. I was singing it this morning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that is one of the better songs. But like, I haven't ever listened to these songs outside of watching the movie last night, and that's my association with it. So like I also think, look, to be fair, I haven't had the time with all of this like I did with Greece. I knew that music in and out and I sent it back and I know that movie so well.
Speaker 1: So but I will say, Kevin, here's my devil's advocate. Generally speaking, in this podcast, what happens is usually we start and we don't wear iffy about it and we don't really like it, and then we turn into like, oh, I guess it wasn't that bad. I don't hate that much. This is not happening. No, there's no turn of events here.
Speaker 2: No, it's just not so it's not. I get it as a cult classic. I get it as like screenings. I get it like I.
Speaker 1: Don't have time for that though.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not someone who likes bad that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: It's not like our friend Kelly probably loves this.
Speaker 1: Ah, delly, Yes, I think I feel like I watched this with Kelly at.
Speaker 2: Well likes he can really just appreciate it for what it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we love that.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad that it exists for people.
Speaker 1: I wish I had that skill me too.
Speaker 2: I certainly did that trait. Do you think people thought this movie was because of the gender reversal, like this was supposed to be like a feminist tale. Oh, because it certainly feels the opposite to me, because like she doesn't even know who's under the helmet, and she's just.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, I don't. I don't even think it got that deep. Like I don't even think we got there.
Speaker 2: I don't know, you know, Yeah, I just I'm just thinking about it, like it borders more on like some of these numbers, like oh, this is a bit more Rocky Horror, but Rocky Horror was like properly camp and like Rocky Horror.
Speaker 1: Yes, was true to who it was, and it was you knew exactly what it was.
Speaker 2: Like, Greece doesn't feel that if it was trying to be camp, I don't think it accomplished it.
Speaker 1: No, I don't. I actually don't think it was trying to be.
Speaker 2: And also like something about Greece ion. I was having a discussion last night with Austin and Georgie about this because we're like, like grease won are they in on it? But I don't even think so. I don't think there's anything to be in on. I think they're just like, it's deadly serious.
Speaker 1: It is, but it happens to be funny, and this is like just not funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this feels like they're self aware. Yeah, in a way that is not.
Speaker 1: Its failed. It failed. Yeah, Okay, well I think that's enough. Let's create some performances. Let's just do some of the ones we like, Let's do highlights, let's do let's leave on a positive note. So cool writer. I'm going to give it a B plus because in my memory it was an A and it was a C. So I'm giving in an.
Speaker 2: Average I'm going to need to be minus.
Speaker 1: Okay, reproduction was an f I'm giving reproduction a b okay, do it for our country and that all the circumstances aside the song itself.
Speaker 2: But this is creating the performance.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, what about the Sorry Girl for All Seasons and b okay, that's it.
Speaker 2: We'll be together. Also was so crazy, I really will be together. We go together, and we're gonna do it slower a.
Speaker 1: Carbon copy, just like Okay, TARTI takes au cheese. I mean, I mean, they were so really creepy. And also, wait, miss Mason, can we talk about how inappropriate that was?
Speaker 2: What was happening with Miss Mason?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I was also like such a one dimensional character.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, I know, I don't know Johnny and just like all the girls and like it just was like it's just like a.
Speaker 2: Cesspool of I thought the first one had some moments. The first one is completely fine compared to this.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah yeah, Best song Girl for All Seasons? Yeah, I think so, Best Stand Smooth. I mean, look, the choreography in this movie is amazing. There's just like too much of it. Yeah, it's also just not trot well, and so it's just a lot of things like don't lend itself to the choreogra.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I mean, I guess maybe back to school again. Sure, I did think and girl for all seasons. There was one of the seasons the girls were like really one point and one of them you can tell us like training. I was like, yes, yeah, some point.
Speaker 1: Prop.
Speaker 2: I don't know if this counts, but shout out to that little tire track on that little hump that it is supposed to make us all believe that he either died or went across this great divide that we've.
Speaker 1: Never seen and he landed. If the Russians can put him in in space, just imagine our young American minds can do it right out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did enjoy that. I did really like Paulette. Yeah, I like you a lot. She was original, Yes, yeah, I thought she was a standout character and I liked her.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Thing at the end, she's I may not be the classiest chick in the school, but I'm the best you're ever going to get, So take it. Believe it like she I really liked her. And that's the thing with the first one, all all the characters were like super strong characters. They know exactly who they are. Yeah, even like French, who's trying to figure it out, she's telling you who she is, like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we don't. We don't really know or care about any of these No, they just feel like again like trying.
Speaker 2: It feels like everyone just did of her a check.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it happens, It happens. Listen, I'm not too good for a check. Yeah, performance MVP Michelle Fire for of course she's just like I mean, I thought.
Speaker 2: Michelle Fifer, Maxwell call Field and Adrian Zamed were.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, yeah, okay, that's the thing.
Speaker 2: I thought everyone was.
Speaker 1: Were great yeah, or like everybody did great with what they had, right, we understand that. Yes, Okay, well that's that. I hope you guys don't hate us too much for going through that.
Speaker 2: But but you know how much we love Greece.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that's the other thing too, is like being protective over like the legacy of Greece, and you're like, this is what you come back with. Yeah, I'm just not going a bit yeah yea, yeah, Okay, So we found on TikTok Jenna Samantha three three three there's a trend going on right now with Bees in the Trap and the song that's going on, yes, and it is these two people won dresses, shoes, her with a crazy wig and so Sylvester Sylvester is doing the Nicki Minaj part, and I just think it really fits, you know, a Glee reference. It's a mashup. I think it's something we would have done.
Speaker 1: This is a total bob. I'm into it.
Speaker 2: And I think Susilvester doing the Nicki Minaj part makes a lot of sense. And like it's Halloween, so like get in your best Glee costumes and do this.
Speaker 1: Probably yeah, yeah, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: Also, I remember Naya showed me this Nicki Minaj song on set of Glee had just come out, and she's like, you're gonna like this and.
Speaker 1: Bees into Trap that was already that was already out when Glee was still That's crazy to me, it feels like it was much more recent.
Speaker 2: Wait, let me double check, unless I'm like conflating memories. I feel like, yeah, wow, wow, yeah, I remember she Okay, I remember she told me about it. She's like, I heard this song, that's what it was. We were in Long Beach and she goes. We were in the hair making sure I heard the song You're gonna love it, and she's like, it's like Nicki Minaja saying like bees into trap. We didn't know what she meant by it. And then I was driving on like Laurel Canon I remember for some reason, like it was like one of s and it came yeah, and it came on and I called her. I was like, I love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is it, this is it. If you have any Eagle Lye costumes, please send them our way. We'd love to see them. And Kevin, we have an assignment for everybody for next week.
Speaker 2: Our assignment for next week is rent.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, what will I do? I'm so excited and also nervous because Red is such a staple in my mind on the stage production and the film wasn't what I remember it to be. So we'll have to see come back and check it out. And thanks for hanging out with.
Speaker 2: Us, and that's what you really miss Thanks for listening and follow us on Instagram at and that's what you really miss pod. Make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. See you next time,