Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Opinion podcast count US Saturdays at one in seven pm Eastern on Bloomberg dot Com, the iHeartRadio app, and the Bloomberg Business App, or listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Bloomberg Opinion I Amy Morris. This week we look at the impact of the price wars in electric vehicle motors in the US and China. Plus suicide is a leading cause of maternal mortality in the US. But now a remarkable breakthrough the very first pill for postpartum depression. Will it be enough? But first we begin with politics and what the polls are telling us. And the answer is not a lot. Reuter's IPSOS poll says about half of all Republicans say they will not vote for Donald Trump if he's convicted of a felony. But maybe we should take those polls with a grain of salt. GOP presidential candidate and North Dakota Governor Douggham tells ABC that voters are not paying attention to Trump's legal issues.
Speaker 3: When we're out talking to voters in Iowa New Hampshire, they're not asking about the indictments. If they want to they can turn on a cable news network and watch that seven by twenty four. But then what they are asking about is inflation.
Speaker 2: North Dakota governor and presidential hopeful Doug Burgham. Let's dig into all of this with Bloomberg opinion columnist Jonathan Bernstein. Let's just start from the very beginning. Are people thinking about the twenty twenty four election?
Speaker 4: Yet?
Speaker 5: It depends on which people you're talking about. If you're talking about Republican Party actors, you know, people who make a living in politics, who are you know, passionate about politics? Oh? Absolutely, they've been thinking about it for years. If you're talking about the bulk of most voters, no, you know, it's they involved in baseball, pennant races or least you know, preseason football, the actors strike, whatever, you know, getting their kids to school on time, picking the kids up from daycare, all that kind of stuff. You know, they're not thinking about politics very much right now. It's you know, August, a year before the election.
Speaker 2: So when they are thinking about politics, do they trust polls anymore? Remember after twenty fifteen and twenty sixteen, everything from Brexit to the presidential election, that seemed like the polls just missed so much, so did have people started looking at polls and just sort of rolling their eyes and saying, ah, this isn't right.
Speaker 5: We wouldn't know unless we could test the polls to find out how people think. Right, The truth is that the polls missed by a little bit, and people notice a lot. It's a close election, and the polls are wrong about the outcome. You know, we've had elections where the polls were accurate but were maybe five points off, but it was a ten point win, so nobody cares. You know, people don't trust the polls, but the polls actually, overall, as you know, as a they're reasonably accurate. We can't get exact numbers. Polls, after all, are only a snapshot of where we are. So polls right now don't tell us anything about what's going to happen in a presidential race more than a year from now. They're not. We can't do that because people if you ask people about it, they're going to give an answer, because people tend to be able to do that, but it's not predictive of what they're going to actually do over a year from now.
Speaker 2: It seems to be a foregone conclusion that Trump is the air apparent to this nomination process. He's way out in front in the polls, and that's kind of the point of your whole column is, maybe don't take the polls about Donald Trump so seriously just yet.
Speaker 5: Right, It turns out that nomination point can be somewhat predictive this far out, but with huge caveats. The probably is with anything about Trump right now. The reason that we can trust polls generally is because posters, who are very good at what they do, they can construct models based on on previous iterations, previous election cycles. There's never been a presidential candidate who's facing sets of felony charges. So it's just hard to model that we you know, by all standard indications, absolutely Trump is well out in front, not just in the polls, but also by endorsements from important Republicans, you know, all all the ways that you would tell who's winning the nomination. Trump looks like he's winning. Does that mean he's a lock to win? I don't think so, because I don't think we can predict how this plays out over time. Maybe trials that happened even as soon as the Iowa caucuses, you know, which are coming up in January.
Speaker 2: And as you had said, there are those Republicans, those more high level, top tier Republicans in the party who say, yeah, if he's convicted, I'm not going to cast my vote him, or as things are going right now in the courts, I just don't think Donald Trump is good for our party. Doesn't necessarily mean they can be held to that, especially considering that we haven't even had the first debate yet.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're gonna have debates, We're going to have campaigning, but the big thing that matters the most is going to be events and how voters react to that, on how party actors react to that, and a lot of it. Even they don't know yet how they will actually react to some of these things. Now, so far he's been indicted, that has not you know, people have not abandoned him, and that's a good indication that it's not going to happen soon. But we still don't know because it's something that's unprecedented. So it's a little hard to guess how people's reactions will go as evidence comes out, as perhaps you know, we go to trial. There's just some uncertainty there.
Speaker 2: Have we seen anything like this before, for when it comes to trying to figure out where things are headed, what the trend is going to be with polls. What I mean is clearly what we're talking about is the Trump candidacy, and that there is something particular about his campaign Trump supporters that can put his poll numbers into question, whether you're talking about his legal issues or the devotion that a lot of his supporters have for him no matter what he does. I'm wondering if we've seen that before anywhere in the history of this country.
Speaker 5: I don't think there's anything comparable in that you have separate out the nomination side and the general election side. Okay, nominations are always vulnerable, or at least they are always potentially valiable. So we've seen, you know, candidates go from big leads to collapsing overnight. We've seen, you know, in just the last cycle, Joe Biden had a big lead in the polls and then got clobbed in the first couple events, and then you know, and then Bernie Sanders had a big lead and then suddenly Biden came back and you know, one one very comfortably. So you know, where the polls predictive, well sort of, they were the original ones turned out to be, but not so changes can like that can happen very quickly. And because you know, yes, Donald Trump's core supporters really like him, but they're Republicans, they probably like the other candidates too, or at least potentially like them. Maybe at the moment they don't. They may not have heard yet about some of the other candidates who they may eventually come to like. Now, if you talk about general election, that's much less valuable. If then we're talking about well, maybe Trump if he's unpopular and he you know, when you're talking about general action, Trump is very unpopular. That could cost Republicans two three, five, We don't know points compared to a generic Republican candidate, and you know, but the move but there is going to be around the margins. He's not going to lose all his support overnight, because Republicans are going to at the end of the day look at it and say, well, even those who are unhappy with Trump are going to say, well, but the alternative is even worse, and so they're going to wind up most of them are going to wind up back with Trump, of course, if they if he lose this five percent versus a generic Republican he's in huge trouble for actually win the election.
Speaker 2: Oh, I would like to shift gears before we let you go, Jonathan about something on the Democratic side, and that is the investigation into Hunter Biden. It is moving along with some momentum as well as the move to impeach President Biden, which dovetails with that investigation. I'm wondering about where the GOP's mindset is, if they really believe this is bound to help them in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 5: Perhaps do they believe that they have something there. You know, it's hard to get into into anybody's mind. What I can say about it is it's good programming for Republican aligned media, and those people are very very important within the Republican Party coalition. For individual members of the House. If you push impeachment of Joe Biden, regardless of evidence, logic, even a theory that would be impeachable, you're going to get invited onto all the talk shows. And so there's strong internal Republican reasons to push this, which have very little to do with twenty twenty four or with actually getting rid of Biden.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the reason I'm asking is because in recent years we've seen impeachment movements right the Clinton White House the Trump White House, but both times it helped the incumbent.
Speaker 5: I don't think it helped Trump in twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: You don't.
Speaker 5: I mean, after all, he lost, and Trump basically remained unpopular throughout his presidency, but before the pandemic, when the economy was very good, he was unusually unpopular for a situation with prosperity. In Bill Clinton's case, it probably helped him a little bit, but Bill Clinton was mainly helped by peace and prosperity. The other thing is you have to separate the push for impeachment with the actual scandal. In Clinton's case, the actual scandal was a huge, big story in nineteen ninety eight. I think that the Joe Biden story as of right now is not a huge scandal on its own. It's a huge story because Republicans in the House are pretending it's a big story. Perhaps they'll eventually come up with evidence or something. So it's really impeachment on its own. Is the story not what Biden has done?
Speaker 2: Bloomberg Opinion columnist Jonathan Bernstein, And coming up, we're going to take a look at price wars between the US and China over electric vehicle motors and batteries and who has the edge. Now you're listening the Bloomberg Opinion.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Opinion podcast counts Saturdays at one in seven pm Eastern on Bloomberg dot Com, the iHeartRadio app and the Bloomberg Business App, or listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Bloomberg Opinion i Amy Morris. Price wars continue over electric vehicle motors in China and the US, and usually they could be either creative or destructive. They've been dealing with a higher cost structure that subsidies in manufacturer losses, cancer mount but that's starting to change. We want to learn more now. Bloomberg Opinion columnist David Fickling also covers energy and commodities, and he's going to set us straight. Now, let's first talk about the price wars over EV motors, electric vehicle motors. Who has the edge? What are you seeing now?
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, as you said, I think there's two types of price wars out there. The destructive ones, which are the ones that we classically think about often think a good metaphor is like the airline industry if you had, you know, if you have Nighted and Delta going into a price war with each other, it will be very value destructive. You're teaching consumers to pay less for their tickets essentially, and neither side really benefits. On the other hand, if Southwest goes into a price war against Delta, you're in a different You're in a different sort of environment because of course Southwest has a fundamentally lower cost structure and that and they're going to win from that. You know, if you look at the airline industry, the you know, the higher the airlines are the highest valuations are mostly discount carriers because they have a they've got a lower fundamental cost structure. Now, the reason I think this is relevant to the auto industry is that until very recently and really at this point now, the product with the lower cost structure is a gasoline or diesel powered cars. It's fundamentally cheaper than than a battery electric car. But that has been changing because the most expensive bit, which is you know, can be you know, a third or more of the cost of the electric car is the battery. And as battery manufacturing goes through the roof, as it's expanding at this very rapid right. The costs are coming down quite dramatically. Now we've had a bit of a we've had a bit of a bump with the commodity price inflation of the last few years, but the overall trajectory, if you plod it out in a graph, is still going down. And we're very close to the point, and now I think in China passing the point where they're actually going to be fundamentally cheaper on price, and that makes a big difference to everything.
Speaker 2: The batteries themselves also are a bit of a disincentive for those who don't want to spend half an hour charging their car when they're on a road trip, or who are concerned about the weight of it changing the structure of the car and changing the speed of the car. And it's inten that sort of thing. Is all of that baked into this, Yes it.
Speaker 6: Is, And I mean the article I was writing was talking about how electric cars in China are now becoming cheaper than gasoline cars, and of course how you measure that is is a little bit difficult because they are fundamentally different products, So so how do you measure that they are competitive? And the point that you're raising there, I think is an important one because one thing that we've seen from quite early on you'll know, the phrase range anxiety. This is something that people, you know, worry a lot about. Is the battery going to last me long enough to go on a long road trip. Am I going to be spending half an hour charging when I'm you know, rushing to a family dinner or something like that. And one thing that we've seen as the cost you would measure the cost of electric car batteries by, you know, the cost per killer what hour. As the cost per killer what hour has gone down, we've generally actually seen the batteries getting bigger. So the actual cost of your battery is not getting is not going down the cost you know, because the killer what hours are going up at the same time that the cost birgear what hour goes down. And that's because the car makers have been trying to address range anxiety. And you know, at this point, a typical electric vehicle will will will give you, you know, it'll give you sort of four hundred k's on a good charge, So what was that two hundred and fifty miles, But of course that's in ideal conditions. And now they've you know, now they've addressed range anxiety and ideal conditions. Well, what happens if it's cold, what happens if you've got the air conditioning running? And so so in some ways they've been you know, you know, trying to go up and down escalator against this. But if you look, now, you know two crucial models. I think the you know, obviously, the Tesla Model three is a car that's got a sort of demonstrated ability to you know, to to sort of compete against that range anxiety. And it is its competing on price with a lot of the sort of you know, the sort of premium mid size sedans, the sort of BMW three series oud ea for you know, Mercedes C class. It's now cheaper than those cars in China.
Speaker 2: Now, how is it, David, that China has seemed to crack the code? And how far behind is the US in this competition to make these batteries more efficient the car is more efficient.
Speaker 6: If you compare the US and China in what sort of electric vehicles are being designed, they're they're extremely different. If you if you look at the market, of course, you know the thing we all know about the US market is that well, in both the US and China, SUVs are very dominant, but of course trucks and you know, light trucks in the US, pickups are extremely dominant. So the advantage for US car makers, and we've seen it with the you know, the Ford F one fifty lightning and obviously, like you know, Teszler's attempt with this cyber truck and riving the lights is to try and get into that sort of large, larger vehicle market, large you know, light truck or suv market, and that's the sort of that's the area where there's lightly the earliest crossover point where electric vehicles become cheaper than gastine. They're clearly not there yet. It's probably sort of two or three years away at this point. In the US China, the sort of core of the market is a little bit different. There's the SUVs are still big, as they are everywhere, but these sort of like mid size sedans again, like you know, some of these you know vw ones that we that we've been talking about, those are you know, those are to some extent the core of the market. And because there's the range, anxiety is a little bit less because the population is that much denser, people are less spread out. A lot of these cars have been are starting to get into the market that are sort of coming in a sort of cheaper price point. And of course, the one other thing is a crucial supply chain thing. Of course, you know, China has has already built a vast battery supply chain, the Chinese battery makers, they've built the capacity for the batteries, but they're having trouble getting export markets sufficient for them, so all that capacity is stuck at home, and that's pushing prices down.
Speaker 2: I'm wondering if these price wars and it this competition is helping to spur this growth and development that you're seeing, and it sounds like there's more room for it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, it's I think fundamentally you have to come back to looking at the market share, and you know, go back a few years. I think in twenty nineteen, the Chinese government set a target for twenty five percent of the market to be new energy vehicles by twenty twenty five. I remember reading just i think three years ago, quite a bullish report from Deloitte, reckoning that you'd get about a third of China's electric vehicle Sorry, a third of the Chinese car market would be electric by twenty twenty nine to twenty thirty by the end of this decade. Now, in June, these new energy vehicles were thirty seven percent of sales. If you look at how they've risen, it is really taken the market by storm. And if you look at the best selling cars in China again in June, seven out of ten of them were batteri or plug in hybrid models. So and that really changes the whole dynamic in significant ways because these are no longer exotic products. These are extremely familiar products to everyone. And one thing that we've you know that a lot of carmakers have found. We talked about range anxiety and many of those issues. You know, it tends to be an issue for people who haven't bought an electric car yet for owners of electric cars, it's not. It doesn't really trouble them very much at all. So and this is why the issue of the sort of you know, the price competition and the price war is so important. Like you reduce the barrier to people buying their first electric car similar to people, you know, buying their first discount airline ticket, people find they're actually quite open to it once they once they get a chance.
Speaker 2: David Fickling is a Bloomberg Opinion covering energy and commodities. Now coming up, we're going to learn more about a new postpartum depression pill and how it is becoming a vital tool in women's healthcare. Don't forget We're available as a podcast on Apple, Spotify or your favorite podcast platform. This is Bloomberg Opinion. As many as half of women with postpartum depression go undiagnosed, and suicide is a leading cause of maternal mortality in the US. But now a remarkable breakthrough, the very first pill for postpartum depression. But will it be enough. Let's talk about it with Bloomberg Opinion columnist Lisa Jarvis, who covers biotech, healthcare and the pharmaceutical industry. Lisa, let's talk about postpartum depression. Something I get the impression isn't talked about very much at all in this country. How many women experience postpartum depression?
Speaker 4: Ray Amy, Well, thanks for having me, and we know that as many as one in seven women experience postpartum depress and one of the things that's worth noting is that many of those women are experiencing depression even before during their pregnancy, and during that period it's going undetected and undiagnosed and untreated, and that can carry over into the pregnancy itself. And so you know, we know that the postpartum period is just one of enormous change. Anyone who's had a child knows that all of your relationships change in an instant with your partner, your parents, your peers, even your own body. The social pressure to have a perfect connection with your baby is great, and meanwhile, you're often very isolated because you're taking care of a newborn, and on top of that, you're sleep deprived. So a lot of people struggle during that period. And you're right, it's just not talked about enough.
Speaker 2: Now. A lot of people would assume that, oh, it's just hormones, my body is readjusting from pregnancy to being a new mom, or like you said, I am just not getting enough sleep. Does that tend to mask what people might think is just oh, I need a nap, versus ooh I might need to talk to someone.
Speaker 4: Well, first, I think it's important to recognize your's a spectrum. You know, there's kind of the baby blues, and then there's something that gets more serious and then you know, of course, there have been cases that we've all read about that are really, you know, horrifying and terrible for families where women have an extreme version of this. But I think it's when you know, you're kind of noticing that you're struggling to feel happy in this period that you know doesn't have to be perfect, but generally people are you know, who aren't depressed, are like, have the surge of hormones that makes them, that fuel them to get through those sleepless period And so I think the most important thing is if you're having any struggles to talk to your provider. One thing again that anyone who's had a child knows is that the instant the baby arrives, all of the attention shifts from the mother's health, the pregnant mother's health, to the newborn, right and rightfully so, but at the same time, that leaves a lot of women who go without care during that period. And we know, your first follow up visit isn't until six weeks after having your child, and so that's a long time, and a lot happens in six weeks as in your post pregnant period. That's an eternity for a new mom.
Speaker 2: So is that why they've never had drugs before to help new moms out when they're going through this.
Speaker 4: I wish that were the reason, but unfortunately, I think a lot of the reason has to do with the fact that this problem wasn't getting the attention it deserved, in part because you know, for a long time, drugs were really primarily studied in men, and the way that this drug works is by mimicking a hormone that you know all of us have, but is in effect after pregnancy, and I think it just was a mechanism that went undetected. But you know, basically, the mice that are used in research, and even when theris the kind of anti common antidepressants that a lot of people take, we're studied, almost all of those were studied in either mail mice or you know, in men in the clinic. So I think it just kind of left women underserved and the problem underrecognized.
Speaker 2: So now that there is this breakthrough, this very first pill for postpartum depression, would this then change how women might be treated, diagnosed, monitored for postpotum depression.
Speaker 4: That's my hope. You know, we've had options in the past. The same company Stage Therapeutics that developed this drug has another drug that they got approved in twenty nineteen, but it's challenging. You have to go into the hospital and have this almost seventy two hour infusion, so that's very tough for a new mom. You know, even when you're in an extreme situation where you're feeling depressed to leave your family for three days in order to get treatment. You know, it does act quickly, but it just really was a ba and in addition to its cause, was a barrier to people using it. SSRIs have been an option, but they can take months. So I do think yes, having something that in two weeks could make a lot of people feel better and take it home would really change things. The other thing that could change things is that AKAG, which is the big society for obstitricians and gynecologists, recently in June changed their recommendations for screening women for depression, and so they now recommend during the period where you're considering having a child, several times while you're pregnant, and then several times in the thought every single postpart and visit that your provider screening you for depression, so which could really help. I think in total it brings more recognition to the problem, which I hope means more women getting help.
Speaker 2: Let's get into the pill. Well, how does it work. What's it called?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's called surround known and it's it mimics a natural hormone. So it's actually a new class of antidepressants or you know, a new class of psychiatric drugs than what we have in the past. And you you take it for two weeks, and which is different, right, I think most people who take an SSRI would take that for months or perhaps for life, you know, and it works pretty fast to help you, you know, potentially modulate the hormones that could be affecting your mood post pregnancy, and so, you know, the idea is that after that two weeks, hopefully you're feeling better and you go back to your normal life. That might not be the case for all people. Hopefully you're you know, also getting some talk therapy, and then eventually, if it really is you know, a severe case, it might be that you then later go on to SSRIs, but you have this immediate intervention that can help you during that really challenging, you know, early early period after having a child.
Speaker 2: I'm also curious about if it would somehow impact breastfeeding, appetite, weight gain, weight loss. Is there any downside or are there side effects people should know about?
Speaker 4: Yeah, they should, I mean, you know, I think one of the you know, it's it's a double edged sword because some people don't want to take any medication when they're breastfeeding, and that's one of the deterrens actually to people getting treated, is that if they take an SSRI, even though we know that it's reasonably safe to do so well breastfeeding, they don't want to do that for months. In this case, I think it hasn't been studied in breast milk, we don't have enough information to say, like you could breastfeed while you're taking the drig. We do know that one could for two weeks so called pump and dump, you know, you could continue to breastfeed, you know, dump the milk and then go back to breastfeeding your child after, which I think is a better option for a lot of women. It's work, but you know, at the same time, let's you kind of have both things. You're at home, you're with your infant, and then one of the side effects is that it can just you know, cause drowsiness, and so that the FDA did put a black so called black box warning on the on the pills that they would not like you to drive for twelve hours after taking the pills, which you know, that is a limitation and that's tough. I do recall during my early days and months after pregnancy that you know, I was home a lot. So that may not be a limitation for everyone. That's a barrier.
Speaker 2: So now we have talked a lot about how this is not being talked about, right I'm wondering though, if part of the issue is what is expected of the mom or what is what she is expecting of herself. You're not expected to be sad or depressed or or have you know, questionable thoughts and you may not say anything if you're actually going through this as a new mom. Is that also part of this?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I mean, I think that's one of the reasons it goes undetected, is that, you know, it's hard to talk about. We all have, you know, social media and new moms on social media showing us what the perfect So, yeah, a notion of motherhood is and that you're supposed to be just so barney to your new infant. That's not everyone's experience, and I think that can be really hard to say that that's not what's happening for you, and that makes it difficult. And so I think this hopefully helps people recognize it's really common. There's help. You should get help, because we also know that it can affect your baby if you're not bonding with your baby. I mean not to put make anyone feel guilty about something they can't control, but I think you know it just it's a good reminder that, like helping yourself helps your whole family.
Speaker 2: And you mentioned it in your column, but I'd like you to say it out loud. This could also help elevate the conversation about postpartum depression.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think it just really could help lift some of the stigma women feel, you know. I mean, we want people to get treated. We want people. The other thing is this is the start of your new family. A lot of people experience this during their first child, you know, their first pregnancy to start your new family. Want you to start out your new family on the best possible foot, So get the help you need.
Speaker 2: Lisa Jarvis is a Bloomberg opinion covering biotech, healthcare, and the pharmaceutical industry. This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Opinion podcast. Catch us Saturdays at one and seven pm Eastern on Bloomberg dot Com, the iHeartRadio app and the Bloomberg Business app, or listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Bloomberg Opinion. I'm Amy morris By. Now you've probably heard that Zoom is asking its employees to return to the office, and perhaps you reveled in the irony with a declaration of remote work is dead. But hold on, this is not necessarily the end of an era. In fact, if you look a little deeper, it may just be the beginning. Bloomberg Opinion. The editor, Sarah Green Carmichael joins us now. Sarah set as straight Zoom bringing folks back to the office. But this isn't necessarily the ironic headline we all thought it was.
Speaker 7: No I can see why. It's a headline that raced around the world, But the reality is that Zoom is only asking employees within fifty miles of the office to come in twice a week. That is much much less than many other companies return to office policies, so it's hardly the end of an era here.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: You talked about in your column a Harvard professor conducted a field experiment suggesting that having people in the office two days every week may be the sweet spot. Explain that to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Sure.
Speaker 7: This was a fascinating field experiment by Harvard Business School professor Rog Chowdery, and it's the gold standard and research. It was a randomized, controlled experiment with real workers, and what they found is that when people came in just one or two days a week, they thought that was the sweet spot for both productivity and collaboration. People who came in more than that didn't necessarily show any more collaboration or productivity, and people who never came in experienced more loneliness and isolation. So it seems that one or two days a week is just fine.
Speaker 2: Would the move to bring employees into the office more frequently than just two days a week? Is that driven by employers? I mean, most would prefer their staff to be in house more often than two days a week. Are they the ones who are really behind this?
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's really the employers. The managers, the senior executives who are pushing for more than that. But we've seen that over the past year, despite a lot of headlines about this company or that company changing their remote work policy, that actually levels of days worked at home have basically been flat over the past twelve months. And executives I've talked to about this say that while they have sort of asked people to come in and they have sort of said, hey, we're going to keep track, we're going to take attendance, that they actually feel like they can't force people to come in, And as of yet, there's not really disciplinary action for employees who are coming in less than executives were like. So there's not a whole lot executives this far have been willing to do. And that's still a very tight labor market.
Speaker 2: Remember before the pandemic, there was this big move afoot to create a three day weekend. There was a really big move to have more flexible hours. Now this was in twenty eighteen and twenty nineteen. It seems almost like that kind of went poof when everybody was relegated to their own homes to do their work. And now I haven't heard a great resurgence of that. Where is that movement? What's going to happen to our work week?
Speaker 7: I'm really glad you asked about that, because the place the movement is alive and well is actually in Europe. Several European countries have conducted experiments with the four day week. Almost all of the companies that have undertaken these experiments so that they were so positive they're just going to keep going. Now, there was some selection bias there, obviously, companies only opted in if they were willing to do the experiment thought it might work for them. But it's been enormously popular. Maybe the difference is that in Europe, you know, among other differences with America, in European work life balance, but in Europe, people have returned to office in higher numbers. And that could be because they have maybe smaller apartments, they have potentially shorter commutes. But whatever the reason, you know, that's where we really see both return to office and more four day work week experimentation happening.
Speaker 2: So could it gain traction in the US?
Speaker 3: You think?
Speaker 7: I doubt it. I would like to see it, and I think that there's going to be some tech companies and maybe smaller companies that want to be able to hire top talent and cannot pay a premium that will use it. And I've definitely known people who've worked out their own flexible arrangements, you know, through HR always. But I think in terms of mass adoption of a four day week in the United States, it's just really hard to see that in a sort of work obsessed society like ours.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg Opinion editors Sarah Green Carmichael and that does it for this week's Bloomberg Opinion. We are produced by Eric mollow and you can find all of these columns on the Bloomberg terminal, and we're available as a podcast on Apple, Spotify, or your favorite podcast platform. Now stay with us. Today's top stories and global business headlines are just ahead. I'm Mammy Morris and this is Bloombird.