Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal coll that for me, I'm a man, I'm forty. I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy. You want to be happy for day Edith State is that? Whoo whoom? And Dan and Tye.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the solid verbal boys and girls. My name is ty hilden Brand, joining me as always my man Dan or Rubinstein over there in New York City. But but but but but but but but Yeah, bright and early on a Sunday morning here, we don't have like any real, truly notable games that we want to get through, though we will run through what happened on the first Saturday of Bowl season. But just bright eyed, bushy tailed here up early, gonna previews some bulls and talk through some questions.
Speaker 3: Dan.
Speaker 1: I love this time of year. Ty, I'm gonna be honest with you. And it's not necessarily just because it's the holidays, but you know it's cold and rainy outside. I'm gonna watch some football. I've got a candle going my pumpkins pumpkin pie spice candle roll. And I love this coziness, Ti, and that's why I'm excited to be sharing it with you and everybody.
Speaker 2: With you, and everybody indeed, well, thank you again to everyone for tuning in. This is going to go up on Sunday evening or so. We do have a couple other Bowl preview shows that we're going to trot out over the course of the next week week and a half. So if you haven't heard your team or your particular bowl yet, don't worry. We will get to it, we promise, and we'll have it out to you in time for your Christmas travels on the way to grandmother's house or wherever it may be your head at this holiday season. We're going to do our best to make sure that you're covered on the college football front.
Speaker 1: Yea, if you're going to Dubai, if you're going to Caracas, Venezuela, if you are going to the Changdong province. We got you loud and clear. So why don't we start here.
Speaker 2: Let's very quickly run through the bowl action from me yesterday. We're not going to deep dive this as we typically would, but just to make sure that we cover all of our bases, we had you toss State, winning by a fifty two to thirteen score. Mason Fine popped the hammy in that game in the first quarter, and things derailed rather quickly for the mean Green as you toss. State wins their eleventh game of the season to finish eleven to two.
Speaker 1: I was extremely wrong about that game, as was I I and you know what I actually went against and I we were making goofs about how we were picking games in the confidence pool, and I was goofing about buoyancy and coaches and stuff like that. But the actual way I picked this confidence pool that I put together is something I noticed last year, especially with these games early on, where this is something you talked about, like you want to figure out who cares more. You know where the motivation is. And so I look at my liked analytics, the points per drive defense metric, because defense is caring, motivation effort. And yesterday I went, I would have gone five for five if I took all of the points per drive defense, and I just there was something about Utah State. I was like, I just don't trust him, and I was wrong. Ty, I was wrong because everyone else is ever the better defenses across the board one on Saturday, I was.
Speaker 3: Very wrong as well. To that point.
Speaker 2: Tou Lane also knocked off Louisiana. Louisiana just couldn't stop tou Lane, at least in the first quarter. They tried to make it a game in the second half, but it wasn't meant to be. Forty one to twenty four was your final there. I took that one on the chin as well. Ooh, we had Fresno State living up to their billing, finishing twelve and two. A great year for Jeff Tedford. This went in the Las Vegas Bawl. They beat Arizona State by thirty one to twenty final score.
Speaker 1: Not great quarterback play, but both you know, Benjamin and Fresno States back I think his name was Rivers. You know, had a couple big long Ronnie Rivers, excuse me, a couple long runs. Really really cool to see Fresno State finish with an exclamation point.
Speaker 2: Georgia Southern and the Option finishes with a ten win season twenty three to twenty one in the Amelia Bowl, the knockoff Eastern Michigan.
Speaker 1: This is true, a wild Chamelia Ball. Last second field goal I believe to win this game and forty yarders. Yeah, Georgia Southern gets to double digit wins. You know, a couple of years of not great football for the Eagles, culminating in a ten win season over Eastern Fantastic great job.
Speaker 2: And finally app State knocks off Middle Tennessee. This one was only three to nil in favor of Middle Tennessee after the first quarter, but that's when app State poured it on. They end up winning by a forty five to thirteen score. Eleven and two is the final mark for.
Speaker 1: You were in on the Blue Raiders. I wasn't no, no, no, no, no, no. Are you sure?
Speaker 2: I'm I'm convince you, I'm one hundred percent sure that I was app State because we remember we did this thing where it's like, you know my rule, if a coach is leaving, you think about going the other way unless it's a mismatch. And my point was that I thought this one was a pretty big mismatch in it eventually did play out there on the field.
Speaker 1: I never keep you. And because I do a show on ESPN plus Hey with Jeff Schwartz.
Speaker 3: We look very similar.
Speaker 1: There is something about you and Jeff Schwartz where it's just hard to tell you to a part just the physical presence of the two of you. It's forward NFL lineman and tiled and brand. Yeah, an up and down, weird game for the app State offense started slow, but bam did they pour it on. This one got out of hand quickly.
Speaker 2: I stood next to Jeff Schwartz one time at the Pisman and chatted with him for a while about the Giants and some other football things. Great, dude, I'm about the size of his upper thigh.
Speaker 1: I think we all are combined, all right.
Speaker 2: Well, we also have some I think if I'm looking at my she correct, we have some news. If I do the breaking news thing right now, I'll wake up my wife in the whisper.
Speaker 1: Just be like a very gentle breaking news, breaking news. Boo boo, boop boop. First of all, I know this is not what you're alluding to, But you do not just waltz into the Fargo Dome. No, you do not. I am sorry. It's the jack Rabbits, I believe of South Dakota State made it a game. There was some excitement, there was some fun. Somebody scored points in the Fargo Dome, which is new for rare the last couple of weeks. But yeah, Eastern Stick and the Bison put what forty four on South Dakota State and advance to Frisco to the national Championship, the FCS National Championship.
Speaker 2: I need a harder z though. If you're going to say bye byes, got to get.
Speaker 1: It right byes. And I think Eastern Eastern Washington on the red field, they just completely dominate the Black Bears of Maine. So that should be fun. Those are two superpowers on the FCS level meeting in Frisco. Hopefully we got a good game in three weeks something like that. Thanks. And I believe Valdosta State is your D two champion. Okay, I saw that, so my gosh. Yeah, they in a crazy shootout over Farris State. So fun things happen at all levels, all right.
Speaker 2: So on that note, Yeah, awkward segue to talk about DJ Durkin, who has been named an advisor at Yama, kind of falling in the footsteps of other coaches who have lost their jobs for one reason or another.
Speaker 3: They're looking for a new gig.
Speaker 2: They end up signing on to that Nick Saban coaching tree slash coaching machine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's not hired. This is not a he's not even an analyst. He's coming into it's a weird look. For sure. He's coming in to advise and help ahead of the playoff. This is nothing new that Nick Saban has done. Even at this time. I remember, you know, Rich Rodriguez has done some work there. So they've had offensive and defensive guys come in and take a look at film with them. So it's again a weird look timing wise, But I guess that he's not an employee and he's not a full time guy, and somebody's going to hire DJ Durkin for some role like this eventually. I don't think he's going to be prosecuted. So it is just one of those things that it's better to just make peace with, as strange as it may seem upon first glance.
Speaker 3: It's like when Kramer started going to work at Leland.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's exactly.
Speaker 2: Brief, kid, Just crackers, okay, Ye, app State we mentioned them a few minutes ago hired Eli Drinkwitz, Yes off the Gus Malzon off, the Brian Harson, the Dave Duran coaching tree. Eli was with I believe n C State last couple of years as offensive coordinator, and so now they're bringing in someone who's relatively local to the position and congratulations to him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think he's from Arkansas, but it's been all over. He was at Arkansas State with Gus and Brian Harson, followed him to Poise and then of course got the job with Dave Doran at NC State. So obviously when you look at some of the players developed at MC state's great job throughout the years. Cool hire, We'll see what happens, young guy like thirty five.
Speaker 2: Thirty five, Okay, we got a new head coach at Akron tom Arth from UT Chattanooga.
Speaker 3: Uh what else here?
Speaker 2: We've got a new coordinator on the defensive side for Miami Dan, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Co coordinators, the safety's coach, and I believe the outside linebackers coach replacing Manny Diaz. So it takes two men to replace everything that Manny Diaz did for Miami. So continuity there. Obviously, it's going to help with recruiting that somebody isn't brought in last second. And I think both of those guys that they've hired are are promoted, are pretty well regarded with in the program.
Speaker 2: And some other coordinator hires here or promotions, what have you. Tyson Summers is going to be the Colorado defensive coordinator, has some familiarity with Colorado State, of course and some of his previous work. We've got Nate Woody who's going to be the Army defensive coordinator. And my boy, Mike Sandford, Yeah, didn't work out at Western Kentucky, but he is going to Utah State as the offensive coordinator.
Speaker 1: Was wondering where he was going to end up. Smaller than I would have thought as a destination. Utah State because is super well regarded on the West Coast as a coordinator Stanford, Boise State, and at Notre Dame. You were a fan of his, even though the four and eight season I don't think was a reflection on him necessarily, but young dude so pretty well regarded and we'll be interesting to see what his career path looks like. And you mentioned Tyson Summers. Should also mention the last time he was a defensive coordinator. That would have been twenty fourteen for UCF. That defense, that was the last year Georgia Leary cared for reference that UCF defense. That night defense was amazing. Yeah, that was the Griffin brothers. Yeah yeah right, that was a really really good defense. So hopefully that means good things because the head coaching role did not work out from a Georgia Southern for the Buffaloes. So interesting to say.
Speaker 3: So here is the way the rest of this show is going to go.
Speaker 1: Dan, Let's do it, Dane.
Speaker 3: The Week Full disclosure.
Speaker 2: I did not have a chance to make a new Bowl sound, but I will have one in time for Wednesday, I promise you.
Speaker 3: Okay, I got one cooking up in the lab right now.
Speaker 1: I did. I did make a joke to you. We were texting about this show and I was like, you know what, from now on, I'm gonna give a Bowl Bowl update. Didn't get hurt Bowl previews and I immediately I think he hurt his foot pretty badly, and I am bummed out y.
Speaker 2: All right, well, okay, we've got a lighter slate of games here. We're only gonna do six games because we did a bunch on our last show. We're way out over our skis at this point, so we've got plenty of runway. Hopefully you got in on the confidence pool. You made your picks. The good news about the way that they set up the confidence pool is okay, you've got some games that are locked in now that you can't change, but the other ones you can still move them around. I believe you can still change who you think is gonna win or lose. So we're gonna do our best to stay on top of all of that action. But again, because we got so far out in front last show, we're only gonna do six today and then we're gonna, I think, have some time at the end for questions.
Speaker 3: These solicited questions.
Speaker 1: Yes, we had a bunch of them, so early bowl season you can ask about whatever you want bowl wise, is what I told people. We got some food questions, as you know, people are going to be hosting others around this time of year, but mostly Bowl and football questions. Yeah, we got good ones.
Speaker 2: So let's start with the bulls and let's go to the Bahamas Bowl. Let's the Makers Wanted Bahamas bull Dan.
Speaker 1: Have you ever been to the Bahamas? I have not. I have been to the Bahamas.
Speaker 2: Actually, like bring break in two thousand and three or two thousand and two somewhere.
Speaker 1: Let that go for you.
Speaker 3: It was interesting.
Speaker 2: I watched a guy do a cannon ball into a hot tub and crack his head open.
Speaker 1: I looked up Makers Wanted and all that comes up is the Bahamas Bowl. Like there's no, there's the Elk Grove Business Elk Grove Village Business Park. They make it. I don't want sure, are they? I?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I guess it's a business park that is sponsoring the Bahamas Bowl. So if you have w one hundred bucks, if your name is Devin and you want to sponsor a bowl, it can be the Devin Bowl Offshore.
Speaker 3: Sure makers want it. Okay.
Speaker 2: Thomas Robinson Stadium in Nasau cool place for a game. Yeah, especially if you're Toledo. We've got this. Used to be the what chick fil A Bowl? I believe Chick fil A Bowl? No, they still got a Chick fil A Bowl.
Speaker 1: No, no, but I think, oh no, I think they serve what was not the chick fil A Bahamas Bowl.
Speaker 3: The Popeyes Bahamas Bull always Popeyes.
Speaker 1: Excuse me, excuse me? Yes, all right.
Speaker 2: Friday twelve twenty one on ESPN, it is FIU at eight and four, squaring off against the Toledo Rockets at seven and six. Toledo currently a six point favorite. They get a gift suite, a Yetti rambler, a string backpack, board shorts, a towel, and a pin seems reasonable enough.
Speaker 1: I will say this. I'm not gonna sit here and promote YETI they're not paying to promote YETI happened to have one because it was a Bowld gift of our own when we went to the National championship what last year, a couple of years ago.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: If you can find yourself a rambler, I guess that's what this type of drinking apparatus is called. They're great. Yeah, go and find it, like a knockoff one whatever on Amazon or wherever these fine goods are sold. They're wonderful. They fit in your car holder, correct, Yeah, oh yeah, I would highly recommend. They're like a stainless steel that's insulated. Go wild. I'm all about hydration, ty, you know that.
Speaker 2: So look, I'm not enamored with either team here, but I am far less enamored with Toledo's defense and any other unit on the field. They gave up thirty eight points to Northern Illinois towards the end of the year, which is a statement in the wrong kind of statement. These guys gave up a lot of points this year, except against the Mighty Ball State Cardinals, who gave me their name A fight throw that out there.
Speaker 1: I'm going to go with the fi U offense. I'm gonna go.
Speaker 3: With captain James Morgan.
Speaker 2: He set a school record at twenty six touchdown passes, which Jones is coaching the Panthers these days.
Speaker 3: I'm not at all confident here. I don't have a good read for this one.
Speaker 2: So I'm gonna say f IU, even though they're a dog, I like them outright, but only about eleven ish confidence points.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no real bad losses for FYU. I would say they lose to Indiana, they lose at Miami, and they were competitive enough in that game. They finished the season winning six of eight. James Morgan's fine, a little sloppy with the ball, but yeah, they generate big plays and their defense is not a wreck. So yeah, moving on the confidence points? Are you eleven but they're at eleven eleven? Yeah, I have let me let me load it up real quick. Where is my confidence pool? Whatever? We'll get back to it.
Speaker 2: Famous Idaho Potato Bowl in Albertson Stadium in Boise. We've got Western Michigan at seven and five against BYU at six and six. BYU actually out a thirteen point favorite here, Dan when we last left our heroes, the Cougars. They gave away a twenty point lead in the Holy War Holy close out their season, and you could probably make a strong case that that Holy War against Utah was their de facto national championship.
Speaker 3: So my question to you.
Speaker 2: Is will be why you be motivated to take home all the potatoes at the famous Sidahoe Potato ble Well.
Speaker 1: They're going to be well hydrated because they are given hydro flasks, which I believe is what is that? It's it's like a drink holder, similar to a rambler. I guess it's a plastic type drink holder. Oakley backpack, Beanie, nothing crazy. I'm going to byu here because of their defense. They are just they do not allow bigger plays and they are in that way a boa constrictor or in this case a by you constricted. No, yes, that's okay, it's early, all right, thank you very much. My biggest recommend I am going to byu here. My biggest recommendation is go to that. I think it's called the Hawkins pack out. It's a burger shack that's been around since the fifties or sixties and boise. Notice the pronunciation it's really good. I love a good old burger shack. That's my recommendation for this game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't want to overlook the fact that Western beat Northern Illinois at the end of the year. And I know I just crapped on Northern Illinois offense, but it's still a pretty good win for them. Yes, I don't think i'd want to go points here BYU minus thirteen, but I think BYU wins and I'm pretty confident in that. I'd say around thirty confidence points for me, I'm at thirty six.
Speaker 1: TI wow, Okay, thirty six, so we sort of agree. We sort of agree. And I did take Elliott's. So I had Georgia Southern at thirty one, I had North Carolina A and T at thirty two, and I had Fresno State at thirty four. It looks like, yeah, telling you get those points to get him early. Yep. Absolutely, I had Louisiana.
Speaker 2: Very high and that didn't work. Yeah, rough, Yeah, I also had who else did I have? I had someone else in there that lost very high online?
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: The Jared Birmingham Bowl, Yes, at Legion Field in Birmingham. It's on ESPN on Saturday. The twenty second. It's between Memphis at eight and five and wake Forest at six and six. Currently, the Tigers are a three and a half point favorite. In this game, the participants will get a gift suite, an Oakley backpack, or sunglasses.
Speaker 3: I think I'd go backpack. I think so too.
Speaker 1: You get a cooling hoodie whatever.
Speaker 2: That is no disrespect to bit Roberts though, no no, no, no, yeah yeah, and a football.
Speaker 1: So again, another one where the gift suite's doing a lot of heavy lifting. But listen, if you are Liz, a Memphis or Wake Forest player, and you are in either of those areas over the summer, all of a sudden, a cooling hoodie sounds incredible.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Okay, I'm with it. Okay, So I'm gonna put five points in this game. I have zero feel for which direction this one's headed. It feels to me like Memphis is the better team. I know they've got a better offense. I think Bill Connolly ranks them something like fifty spots higher in the S and P plus. But you look at Wake season. Their worst loss was FSU, which isn't a great loss, mind you, but the rest were Notre Dame Clemson, Boston College, Syracuse, etc.
Speaker 1: Etc.
Speaker 2: They actually beat NC State and Duke in the final month of the season. So I can't tell if this is a WAKE team that is more a victim of a pretty tough schedule, or if it's a Wake team that's inconsistent enough to have trouble here with Memphis. I am gonna go with my gut and say Memphis, but like five points, five confidence points. Wouldn't want to touch the point spread here because it just it feels like this one could go either way.
Speaker 1: Big issue for Memphis or big three issues there without their offensive defensive coordinators who both got new jobs. Kenny Dillingham is the offensive coordinator. He goes to Auburn. Northern Arizona hired Memphis defensive coordinator for their head coaching job. Darrell Henderson, who maybe one of the best three running backs in the country not playing in this game, So I mean that's going pro. So I still am gonna go Memphis because the defense. If I'm going to lock in my points per drive metric as an indicator for bowl games and effort motivation, blah blah blah, there's something still to me a little bit more consistent about Memphis even without all of that, than there is to me about wake Who. Yes, as you mentioned, they were flip flopping every week, losing to the Florida State team the way that they do this year's Florida State team. Yeah, I mean, and then going to NC State. Obviously winning is strange. Killing Duke strange, but I'm going with consistency and motivation. Here a side note, or actually two side notes with this game. One Jared Birmingham name of a country singer, and the side note about him when you look him up, he will haunt your dreams. Oh number two, This is Jared as in The Jeweler, The Jeweler. Have we ever seen a picture of this Jared? I have not seen the Jared, but the not great commercials of Jared the Jeweler, combined with the fact that Jared is secretly one of the most relatively recent awful names because of the Subway guy. I looked up the popularity of the name Jared since twenty fifteen time it has taken a nose dug two hundreds to four hundreds. It has completely fallen off the map. So this is not great for the Birmingham Bull. But I have Memphis here with a good amount of confidence. I believe I have Memphis with Oh my gosh, this is my most confident I might have to change forty one points for Memphis. Let's do it.
Speaker 3: By the way, I'm changing the wake Forest.
Speaker 2: You talked me out of Memphis, just as you put all your confidence points on that with.
Speaker 1: The coordinators and Darrel Henderson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would be a hypocrite if I didn't go Wake Forest here, because again, it's not so big of a mismatch that Memphis, I think would would rule supreme here in light of arrackles of the circumstances. So I'm gonna go Wake here. I'm gonna change it. But I'm sick stick with five confidence points, not at all. I might adjust my confidence here, Okay. The Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl they played at M. G. Carter Stadium in Fort Worth, Texas. It's also on Saturday the twenty second on ESPN. It's a clash between Houston at eight and four and the Army Knights at ten and two. A great year for Army. They are a three and a half point favorite in this game. Dan they get a gift suite, a Bluetooth speaker, helmet.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, and football. It sounds like what Sports Illustrated would be giving away in the twenteen ninety six if the head of bowl game, Army will be without Jay Bateman, their defensive coordinator. I don't believe he will be coaching in this game. He is the new defensive coordinator at North Carolina. Houston certainly still without Derek King, their starting quarterback who went down and believed with a meniscus tear late in the season, but Houston still able to move the ball. I'm going to go Army here again because of the defense. Houston's defense was a mess this year. They fire their defensive coordinator pretty late in the process of the season. So I am still going with Army to control this game in Fort Worth, even though Houston has what appears to be will have more traveling fans. And I will add this tie because I know you care just immensely. Las Superior for Tacos in the greater Fort Worth area. It is a tortilla factory at Tortilla Bakery at for Ti area that also makes their own tacos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm all in on Army here. Not only is the Eric King out, but Ed Oliver is not playing for the Cougars, and keep in mind that they also canned their defensive coordinator fairly recently. They're just a lot going on here for Houston on the defensive side of the ball. Not good stuff, and I don't think that's a great formula against a team like Army, which runs the option really effectively. They're a disciplined team. They hold the ball for thirty nine minutes. If you don't know about Kelvin Hopkins or Darnell Wolfork, look them up. See what they've been up to all season. It's been really impressive. And you mentioned the Army defense, which has been pretty good all seasons. So I think they continue that trend. I don't think motivation's an issue for Army. I like them to the tune of twenty nine confidence points done.
Speaker 1: All right, moving on, we agree.
Speaker 2: The Dollar General Ball at lad People Stadium in Mobile, Alabama, also on Saturday, the twenti second, also on ESPN, Buffalo at ten to three is two and a half point favorite over the Troy Trojans at nine and three. In this one, Daniel, they get this, listen to this. This is very very This here, I think is the sleeper pick. Okay, a Yamaha sound bar with built in subwolfer Ooh tasty.
Speaker 1: I'm looking it up right now.
Speaker 2: I could sink my teeth into a Yamaha sound bar right about now.
Speaker 1: Oh this looks great. I mean, I don't know how it compares to others, but for just playing in a game and getting it for walking through the door. Wonderful gift.
Speaker 2: Also say hello to our old friends over at the time we watch Company Dan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this will be a custom if I am reading this correctly, A custom dollar General Bowl watch. So okay, if that's something you feel like wearing all the time, good for you. Maui Jim sunglasses and a Wilson game ball. Not the worst soundbar, probably taking up the budget, but there are worse things to get, and especially for Troy, which I think is like two hours away from Mobile, so de facto home game, pretty far away from Buffalo. I actually liked the Trojans here because of their defense, stepping up in a year where they had to replace a lot on offense. I thought Neil Brown did a terrific job, and as much as I enjoyed the Buffalo story, I think the disappointment we talk about motivated teams. Buffalo like a play and a half away from winning the MAC and now they're in the They're in lad Peebles and playing in the Dollar General Bowl. I like Troy here by a good amount, so I have a confidence level for the Trojans. Let's verify this. Twenty six points? Wow wow, I feel good about it. Yeah, yeah, I like Troy a lot. I am going to go Troy as well.
Speaker 2: I've got a dilemma here between Buffalo and their offense, which was one of the best stories all year, and Neil Brown, who's a great young coach, as you said, de facto home game. He's going for his third straight season with ten or more wins. He's two in bowl games. Just just a little bit more on that side of the coin. To kind of sway me here, I'll say, Troy, I'm not as confident as you give me, like fifteen confidence points. Okay, we sort of and our final game before we tackle some questions the Sofi Hawaii Bowl?
Speaker 3: What is so Fi?
Speaker 1: Dan?
Speaker 3: Can you look that up?
Speaker 1: Isn't that an investment something? An investment something, isn't it? I feel like, yeah, great rates, great benefits is what they are. Claiming to be. It's an online personal finance company that provides student loan refinancing, mortgages, and personal loans. This is not an endorsement. Do a ton of research if you need something like this, because you don't want to be underinformed.
Speaker 2: So fi Hawaii Bowl at a Loha Stadium in Honolulu, Hawaii, also on Saturday the twenty second, also on ESPN. It is between Hawaii at eight and five and Louisiana Tech at seven and five.
Speaker 1: This one's a pick them, so you pick your favorite.
Speaker 3: Listen to this.
Speaker 1: Get a load of this.
Speaker 2: Dan ooh Li man an electronics gift sweet.
Speaker 1: I'm intrigued.
Speaker 3: It's just gift sweet, is what they say.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's just a room full of composite cables. Who RCA. Yeah.
Speaker 2: They also get an Oakley backpack, Oakley sunglasses, a Tory Richard Aloha shirt, shorts and swim trunks, a performance T shirt, and a beach towel.
Speaker 3: Seems like a nice little loot there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh, I'm totally for this Hawaii Bowl gift suite. The electronics thing. You got your sunglasses, you're in Hawaii. You get your backpack, you get your swim trunks, you get a beach towel, which I think is a thorough way of thinking about it. And this is something we bring up or I bring up every year. I can only speak for myself, but I am inching closer to becoming a Hawaiian shirt guy. Really no, printed, not full time, not all the time, but in terms of invited to barbecue, cookout, whatever you want to call it over the summer, the printed, lighter weight, button up shirt tie. Yeah. Who am I trying to impress at this point? WHOA? I want comfort? And so I'm going in this direction. Are you going to go mustache too? If I could, I would seasonally grow a mustache, for sure. Wow. Yeah, but it just does not. I can grow facial hair, I can grow the scruff that I have, but the mustache does not come in as full as I'd like to make that a part of my at least part time identity.
Speaker 2: See, if I let it go for like two and a half weeks, I'd be like super Mario. I could go and I can have the whole push broom thing going on.
Speaker 1: If I really I've seen your mustache, I would not make that comparison. You haven't seen it fully grown out well? Improve it. Ty, you can't all be can't be all talk even though this is an audio podcast. Let's do something for the people.
Speaker 3: I don't know about that.
Speaker 1: Let's make up. Let's make later on. I don't know if it's a Notre dame prop that we need to make a mustache bet. Yeah, I mean, I'll grow it for whatever allotted amount of time we agree on and we can compare.
Speaker 2: Much to the chagrin of I need to think about this. This could have ramifications.
Speaker 1: Let's find a game. We've previewed how many games as far twelve fourteen, something like that. Yeah, let's find a game in the back half where we find something that we dramatically disagree on, and we'll go from there. Aside from that, though, because I'm not now that intrigued by Hawaii Louisiana Attack, I think I'm taking Louisiana Attack. What single cable or wire if this electronics gift suite we joke about composite, What single cable or wire in this suite? If it were only this cable or wire would you be most excited to walk in and see that you could load up on?
Speaker 2: I would say probably like a twenty five foot lightning charging cable.
Speaker 1: Oh, that would be incredible. Charge your from wherever.
Speaker 2: Twenty five thirty feet more of that, like braided texture on the outside, so it's not going to break.
Speaker 3: Yep, you've got one in your apartment.
Speaker 1: Actually, you have got one right next to my couch that can go anywhere on the couch. Yep, it's a braided I don't remember what brand. I'm not giving them a free plug, but it's amazing, it's incredible. I think that's the right answer. Yeah, okay, high quality braided lightning, all right. I like Cole McDonald.
Speaker 2: He's the Hawaii quarterback, provided he can stay clear of Jalen Ferguson. He is the so called sack daddy Dan. He is indeed the sack daddy. He's got fifteen sacks this season. He's got forty four and a half in his career. I think the Hawaii offense overpowers Louisiana Tech, but beware because Louisiana tack's won four straight bowl games. I'm gonna go Hawaii here. You're going out right, outright twenty confidence points.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Hawaii's defense is dreadful, and I know it's a home game for the Warriors. Are they back to the Rainbow Warriors. I'm not sure, purposely not saying it because I wasn't sure. I am going to go Louisiana tach here because I mean, their their defense is at least pretty good, even though their offense is sort of a mess. I lie, like, what's it's sack Daddy, Sack.
Speaker 3: Daddy Jalen Ferguson.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm going with I'm going with Ferguson as a game changer. I assume he's playing, because why wouldn't he. I'm going with Louisiana Tech. We doesn't wait.
Speaker 3: Okay, more Bowl games will be forthcoming, we promise. Yep uh.
Speaker 2: Stay tuned to our show a little bit later on this week, where we'll dive into some others. But in the meantime, Dan, because we knew we'd have a little bit of extra time, because we knew that this was going to be a very early recording time, we decided let's just sort of ease our way into Sunday morning and let's answer some questions. Let's congratulations, Skippy, you've got mail, You've got mail on the solid verbal. As we often do, we do our best to pay homage those of you who write into solivable at gmail dot com, to those of you who tweet, to those of you who Facebook who read it, Yeah, we got you covered here. We're going to answer some questions. But before we do, Dan, did you know that Casper is a sleep brand that continues to revolutionize their line of products.
Speaker 1: That's part of my life. Absolutely.
Speaker 2: They create an exceptionally comfortable sleep experience, one night at a time. They've got three mattress models now, the Original Casper, the Wave, the Essential Casper.
Speaker 1: Mattresses are perfectly designed to soothe.
Speaker 2: It's cradle, your natural geometry, not to mention a breathable design which helps you sleep cool, which regulates your body temperature all throughout the night. And best of all, it is delivered right to your door in a small how did they do that?
Speaker 3: Size box?
Speaker 2: Also free shipping and returns in the US and Canada. The best part, though, is that you can try it one hundred night's risk free.
Speaker 3: You sleep on it.
Speaker 2: If you don't like it, they'll take it away from you. Don't have to worry about it. Spend one third of your life sleeping. Make sure you are doing it in comfort. We've talked a nauseum I don't think we need to go into too much more detail about our own Casper experiences, but we've had a lot of people who listen to the show who have cashed in on the deal. You and I both have Casper mattresses. We love them. It's a really cool unboxing experience to pop the seal and the thing just kind of inflates.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's cool, a lot of fun, and a great mattress, much better than the one that I had previously. Now you can get fifty bucks towards select mattresses by visiting Casper dot com slash verbal and then when they ask you use the code verbal at checkout. That's Casper dot com slash verbal fifty bucks off your mattress purchase. Terms and conditions do apply. We are also brought to you today, Dan, by our good friends over.
Speaker 3: At at the Athletic.
Speaker 1: Yes, the Athletic.
Speaker 3: Listen, listen.
Speaker 2: You still have time to buy an Athletic subscription for the special someone in your life.
Speaker 1: Hmm?
Speaker 2: Are they a sports fan? Are you looking for a gift that's not going to break the budget? Cash in on the deal. Go to Theathletic dot com slash solid verbal. You still got time. You can get The Athletic a one year subscription to our friends over at the Athletic The Future of journalism mind you the future m forty percent off, forty percent off your first year. That comes out to what what we do the math two ninety nine a month something like that.
Speaker 1: That's god, it's such a great deal.
Speaker 2: Pennies per day for the future of sports journalism. We've had so many people cash in on this offer. With it being the holiday season, with you needing gifts for people, you can do this, folks, you can do this. It is not at all expensive. It's a great way to show the sports fan in your life that you care. Give them the gift of top quality sports journalism and now a fraction of its normal cost forty percent off Theathletic dot com slash solid verbal Dan.
Speaker 1: You think about what people get others as gifts and how much use they do or don't get out of it. You get somebody the Athletic for what about three dollars a month. They're using it multiple times a day. They're not only feeding their mind, they're feeding their enthusiasm and fandom. This is again, Ty, you said it best step into the future pause the show right now. The Athletic dot Com slash solid verbal. You are not going to think twice once signing up.
Speaker 2: It's terrific, all right, Dan, let's dive into questions. You solicited them late last night or early this morning.
Speaker 3: What do we got.
Speaker 1: We got a lot of emails since our last show where we talked about going to eight teams for the playoff. Everybody has. The funny thing about people's playoff thoughts is there are only like seven teams realistically have a shot to get in the playoff every year, nine teams whatever. But everybody has thoughts on the playoffs. Oh yeah, and where it should be going. And I appreciate that. I love the passion that people have.
Speaker 2: And let me let me jump in for a second, because I erroneously drew reference to the old Dan Wetzel playoff plan. Oh updated, Yeah, he updated it. I hadn't seen it. Somebody in a stute for Baller pointed it out.
Speaker 1: But you could still prefer that. That's fine.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 1: I like that plan.
Speaker 2: But Dan has since updated his plan and he's basically saying now that there's there's no need to go to sixteen if we can be smarter about how we utilize the conference championships.
Speaker 1: So he is now, but he wanted he wanted to. He wants to utilize them as like quarter final games and not actually play conference championships, right.
Speaker 2: Is essentially yeah, in a weird like hybrid way. But he's advocating for eight teams now in the playoff, and I would advise everyone go read what he has to say on the matter because it's always very well thought out and very well informed. And you know, we've had Dan on the show countless time, so I like his line of thinking. Be it eight, be a sixteen teams, But I just I needed to make sure I got that on the record that he did in fact update his official plan at this point.
Speaker 1: Have you updated your thought about whether or not the playoffs should be an event like an unto itself event or a national champion finder?
Speaker 2: First and foremost, see, I don't know what that means. So basically I don't know what you said it on the show and when I went back and I edited it. Sure, you're a very smart man, mind you, sometimes I'm not smart enough to understand what you mean by that.
Speaker 1: So, like the NC DOUBLEA tournament is an event that happens to find a national champion at the end, right, correct, You're not necessarily watching the NC doublea tournament because you want to find the best team, because a team can get hot and beat what we perceive by whatever metric and whatever schedule and resume to be the best team. Okay, The idea is that it's not a national championship event as much as it is, you know, a whittling down and there are upsets, and there are crazy moments, and there are cool stories and narratives, and so the bigger the playoff gets, the more in the direction of we're not just doing this to find a national would.
Speaker 2: You But would you say the same thing about the NBA playoffs or the NFL playoffs or the baseball playoffs?
Speaker 1: I would say no, not with series based. I would say that with the NFL playoffs for sure, like it's the Super Bowl stands apart to me from the NFL playoffs. Like people watch the NFL playoffs even though if they know if they're this team or that team doesn't necessarily have a chance, but they want to watch a high level game between two good teams. But in watching a series thing is different watching MLB or NBA or hockey, I think is definitely no.
Speaker 2: I feel like I'm not smart enough to understand this logic now for me.
Speaker 1: Like here here, here would be an example. So in an eighteen playoff this year, who would well Notre Dame ended up as the three seed? Yep, right, who would Notre Dame end up playing in the first round and they would play who whoever the sixth seed is? The sixth seed is. So in this case, it would be what Ohio State? Sure would you watch? If I should answer this question, thinking Ohio State and Notre Dame are probably flawed to flawed to beat Alabama or maybe Clemson, would I still watch this game because I get a high level experience one hundred percent? Right, to me, it feels like that's not necessarily winnowing down, whittling down, excuse me, to a national champion. But at the same time, it's like, this is a cool thing that we have as a result of these resumes and teams, Like I'm excited for the Rose Bowl And if that were a playoff, a sixteen team playoff matchup between Ohio State and Washington, I'd be like, this is cool. I get Washington secondary against Ohio State's offense and Dwayne Haskins maybe his last game. There is something about being a part of an event, even though we're not realistically thinking this is a true national championship.
Speaker 2: Finder it's hard for me to decouple the playoff experience from the regular season experience. I am perfectly fine with playing out your regular season with seeding teams to the best of our ability, and then letting them hash it out on the field, whether it's a one game playoff or three game playoff, I am all for letting them decide it on the field. I hated the old system. Great, yeah, the old old system.
Speaker 1: Okay, so everybody plays a ball and then there's just time.
Speaker 3: I hated.
Speaker 2: I hated that it shouldn't be in the hands of sports riders to decide who is the national champion.
Speaker 1: To disagree, you should let them, thank you.
Speaker 2: You should let them play it out on the field and see who the best team is. So for my money, now I can't separate one from the other. You play your regular season to get into the playoff. Once you get into the playoff system, whatever that is, you got to win three games, two games, whatever in order to prove that you are the best team in the land. That's the way that this should work.
Speaker 1: Okay, But do you still agree, disagree whatever with if we go to something like eight first, Well, do you want it the best eight teams period or do you want autobids?
Speaker 2: I think we go conference champs and then three at large bids, one of which should should include or should try to include a group of five.
Speaker 1: I'm okay with the five conference champs, the best G five team, and the two at larges. And I'm okay with that because if you are truly an excellent team that happens to go up against another excellent team in your conference, you're probably still getting in. You're not being like Georgia would not be left out this year in that system. And I think we're still looking this as a TV event. We still want it to be relatively inclusive because of the Power five structure of teams that even if a Pac twelve team is not having great year, they're probably there's probably something about that Pac twelve team, like, for instance, once again Washington's defense this year that plays on a playoff level caliber. They're not a complete team. I think there is something about that that is interesting to me, and that would also get us Dwayne Haskins in the playoff this year, that would get us the Washington Secondary and that would get us UCF or whoever it is in any given year from the G five level. So I think I'm okay with that. You know, having the best teams it gets us into like a lot of rerun territory, and I'm not always the biggest fan of that. If this is still a TV event.
Speaker 3: You're losing me a little bit. But we're just gonna have to agree to this.
Speaker 2: Okay, here, I think I think you play the regular season to get to the playoff.
Speaker 3: You play the playoff to get the trophy.
Speaker 1: Okay, does UCF resemble a star intern thinking they should be ceo? Oh man, that's so mean wow? Or should they not be judged for refusing to play teams above their station? Is two years of greatness more important than prolonged success that comes from from schneids or Snid's on Twitter?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So what is your opinion of how UCF or any you know, Boise State, Houston, Fresno, San Diego State teams that have shown an ability to beat high level Power five teams, how they can make that leap under the current system.
Speaker 3: Under the current system, I think.
Speaker 1: No matter what, they're not going to be allowed in I really do.
Speaker 2: Under the current system, it's just hard. It's skewed against UCF. And I'm not so much arguing for UCF as a M four, just this glaringly obvious situation that we're in where it's tough for any group of five team to break through.
Speaker 1: There was a story this week that UCF turned down Florida's offer for a two to one to play two games in Gainsville and one in Orlando, and everybody react to that like, well, it looks like they don't want to play with the big boys. Looks like they don't want to prove themselves against the best and do what it takes.
Speaker 3: I don't know, Like we don't have context for.
Speaker 1: Any of that.
Speaker 3: We don't know.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you what would happen if UCF scheduled the world If u CF scheduled Florida, and I think they already have scheduled Stanford, and they scheduled I don't know, Oklahoma State, really decent good whatever a mix of decent good. They scheduled you know, Penn State or Michigan State. Not the top top top but really strong non conference they would be number five. They would one hundred percent be number five at twelve and zero, beating Stanford, Oklahoma State, and Michigan State or Florida whatever. Because people would then say, well, look the American is it's good, but it's not the Big twelve, it's not the Big ten. They would just find another reason. That's all it's going to come down to.
Speaker 2: This is, by the way, on brand one hundred percent for Florida to try and schedule a non conference opponent in the state of Florida.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course they don't want to leave Florida. Why would you no? No right now? But that's that was like the reaction like, well, it looks like UCF doesn't know. That's so that's such a like a straw man wasted argument. So UCF probably needs to join a conference. Some conference needs to invite UCF, or some conference needs to invite Houston or Boise State or whoever, if they can prove over time, because otherwise it's just they're going to find another reason. That's all it is, all right, next question, next question. And I should also point out along these same lines type because people are always saying well, like UCF, they can't compete, or Houston can and compete. The difference in talent between a high, high level the best G five team and a good maybe not Alabama Clemson, but a really good Power five team doesn't exist. No, because those teams that are going eleven to one, twelve and zero are doing so because it's a you know, a conflation of developed talent transfers, really good coaching. And you look, you see in the NFL draft, all of a sudden, you know, some guy is from Houston. Fresno State. You know, at Oliver is a name that jumps out. He could have gone anywhere. But there's no difference in talent. You look at those Boise State teams. They can beat anybody. It's just they're in a different conference. That's all.
Speaker 3: All right, Where are we going next?
Speaker 1: Next? Let's go to I love this question from our new in person pal, Dan Klobishark.
Speaker 3: Yeah, clobh.
Speaker 1: The Lowry's beef Ball. Lowry's a primary place all over this country is a time honored Rose Bowl tradition, which as background, they bring both teams that are in the Rose Bowl in to Lowries to eat as much beef as they want and compare the poundage. What similar event could either of you compete in and do relatively well whatever relative to a college football player. Oh man, what single food do you feel like you could hang with your average I don't know, Michigan outside lineback. Pumpkin pie. Okay, pumpkin pie. This is what I would do, because I think it's more of a mentality than it is a physical thing, which I think you're right in selecting pumpkin pie for yourself. Yeah, if we could, just if there could be an event where you stand around a room and just or nerves are passed around. There is something about that experience that I could go for hours. Tie those little grilled cheese dippers, cocktail weenies, some nachos, quesadillas, you know, a wing or two. If that is the setup, I feel like I'm an endurance athlete. I wanted my wedding to be all or dervs. Yeah, I would call this event either you've been dervd or app state. I would really make it a Upstate's pretty good. And it's just that it's more of the forum to me than it is the specific food. So if we could have bite sized or dirves passed around a room. I feel like I could hang with a big ten.
Speaker 3: What's your what's your order of power rating?
Speaker 1: What is my number one? If I saw it? You know, obviously I'm a taco guy, so there's sometimes mini tacos or tiktos with like a little guak dipper. Yeah, if I could, if you're like charring up caseity at triangles with a little bowl of gualk, that would be my number one. Love a meatball, cocktail, WEENI with mustard tenders. You see some tenders being passed or nuggies. I'm totally in that mood all the time. So yeah, any anything like in that zone. Egg rolls, egg rolls, spring rolls. Yeah, I'm getting so hungry I could I could do some damage with punkin pie. Yeah really, So yours is more specific? Mind is more mood? Yeah, okay, where are we going next? All right?
Speaker 2: This?
Speaker 1: Okay? So somebody asked the question for pure So it's eric, what's the best Bowl game for pure entertainment value for people who don't care about wins, points, weird schemes, offield shenanigans, Animals on the field. There's animals on the field, which I have a specific day actually December twenty eighth, I think that's the day I was looking at. I still have some scores on my schedule, skill.
Speaker 2: God, Perdue versus Auburn in the Music City Bowl, which I think actually is going to relate to another question that I saw in here.
Speaker 1: If we get to oh yeah, this is the day, You're right, you nailed this.
Speaker 2: West Virginia Syracuse and Washington State Iowa State. Yes, those three games, all of which I think could go either way. You should have a ton of points in West Virginia Syracuse, hopefully without Will Grear, without Will Rallison's I still think you'll have a lot of points. Washington State Iowa State's going to be a fun game, Like I have no confidence on which direction that one heads.
Speaker 1: In a dome in Arnmanshew for sure playing Brock Party and Washington State could have been that disappointment team. But I really do think I think Washington State is going to perform well on a stage in which I think there's no other game that's going to be on that everybody's gonna be watching the out ball on ESPN. So I think that's right. I think that's a great, great slag and also Perdue Auburn. Someone else in here asked, us, Oh, here, it's mad. I see it.
Speaker 3: Which teams are at least motivated to be playing in their bowl game? I might.
Speaker 2: I brought this up on the first Bowl preview show. But you can make a real good case for Auburn against Perdue, and that would be a huge win for Perdue if they can knock off Auburn. They're not favored in that game, but I could see that one. You know, Auburn, do they really want to play Perdue? Jared Stidham's declared for the draft, Like, there are some atmospherics going on there that I could see working in Purdue's direction.
Speaker 1: I would I would jump. I would lump Michigan in there, a game away from winning the division, lost in the fashion in which they did. I saw a completely flat Michigan team last year in I think it was the outback ball against South Carolina and opponent wise playing Florida again, there's just there's nothing novel or exciting about Florida Michigan this year. So I would lump the Wolverines in there.
Speaker 2: And don't forget about the New Era Demotivation Bowl between Wisconsin and Miami.
Speaker 1: So at least they get to play in Yankee Stadium. There's at least the New York destination involved, and that's interesting and weird, and you're going to a very different place than Miami or Madison, Wisconsin. But in terms of how those two teams ended their.
Speaker 3: Season, we're just looking to get this over with, Doug.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so. I think that's right.
Speaker 3: All right, where are we going next year?
Speaker 1: You're not heading to the Pinstripe BWL this year?
Speaker 3: No, not going this year.
Speaker 1: That's a shame. You still have your hat. I do have my hat. It's downstairs. Let's go to Okay, we've got a lot of questions about playoff stuff. Ooh, I love this question. Yeah. Best name of a bowl that no longer exists? Oh, that's easy. What is it?
Speaker 3: Blue Bonnet Bowl?
Speaker 1: Dan, that's pretty good.
Speaker 2: It used to be called the Astro blue Bonnet Bowl, I believe when it was played in the Astrodome, the State Flower of Texas.
Speaker 1: I believe the blue Bonnet Okay. I was a big fan of the Blockbuster Bowl, which might just have a new name. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think that's now the Outback Bowl.
Speaker 1: That could just be the Outback Bowl. But I specifically. Remember we used to go to Fort Lauderdale every winter and stay in I don't know, some hotel and I think the game was it was either in Miami, Fort Lot or wherever in that area. And I remember staying in the same hotel as like the marching band for one of the teams. I was like, all right, I've made it. Yeah, this is the show. I always enjoyed the Copper Bowl, So maybe I'm just going with old bowl names. I remember there used to be a Dixie Bowl, Yeah there was? Was there there were two Minicky car Minucky car Care Bowls. Yeah, I think one in North Charlotte one and so it was like the Miynikee car Care Bowl of.
Speaker 3: Texas, I believe so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I always liked saying the San Diego Credit San Diego County Credit Union Point Setia Bowl, right right. That game was always weird too, Yeah, would it would sometimes it would be two G five schools would be like TCU and Boise State were both top twenty. Wasn't it playing on December twenty first? You remember the one year Navy was in it and it was all flooded out, completely flooded. Yeah, I love how much of a pos that stadium still to this day is I've been to at least two Holiday Bowls. The Oregon games against the Oklahoma schools. I think it was a reht Bomar year when or did not win. Whoa yeah, yeah, and it was the Oklahoma state year was a. It was a des year and that game was so damn fun. So that is a fun game. The Holiday Bowl, which obviously still exists, there was a battle Frog sponsorship yep at one point.
Speaker 2: I want to say the Independence Bowl has had some really weird sponsors. Or they did the Duck Commander thing a couple of years ago. They had the pull in Weed Eater sponsorship before that. Yeah, they're searching for weird sponsors.
Speaker 1: I do like that there have been Bowl games in cities that were selected for whatever reason. That just I remember Oregon was in the Seattle Bowl. Yeah, and Seattle is a great place. I love my time in Seattle. But if you're a Wake Forest fan, if you're a Minnesota fan, if you're a you know, Florida State fan, you find out your team's going to Seattle in December, I have a good TV.
Speaker 2: It made no sense, all right, Uh, next topic, let's go.
Speaker 3: We got two or three more questions here.
Speaker 1: Select whatever I mean. If the soliverbo sponsored a bowl, which two teams need to participate? Obviously it's the solid Ver Bowl, so it's Notame Oregon. Is there a backup common nation of teams that you would just like to see play each other that traditionally will never play each other, but would be forced to not necessarily this year, or it could be this year. Sure, Texas, Texas, A and M could be fun. I would say, yeah, I would if we could re you know, a West Virginia pit game, a Kansas Missouri game, if Kansas were decent, if we could rejoin a rivalry that has been snapped, Yeah, that would be pretty ideal. That'd be great. What would happen if a team with the elite talent ran the triple option? Oh? I like this question, Ty, what's your answer? Let's let's give it. Let's attack attach this to a Let's say ALBA eighteen elite talent team, not Alabama, but some say Michigan. Okay, Michigan's running the triple.
Speaker 3: Michigan's running the triple option.
Speaker 1: So are you just stapling the triple option with this year's team? Like they have Rashaan Gary and everybody else on defense already that's loaded in. Because that's that's the sort of problem with triple option teams and elite talent is it's hard to attract you know, you guys, I want to practice against it all the time. And offensively, it's tough to find a quarterback who can throw when needing to complete a pass when you're down five and nothing's happening on the ground late that's I mean, that's that's why the triple option is great. To just bring up your floor and bring up your ceiling, but it's crashing through the ceiling to me is the issue.
Speaker 2: This is why the Wildcat didn't have a longer lifespan in the NFL, right, you know, like it was cool for a while and then teams figured it out and it was like, Okay, no big deal anymore.
Speaker 1: Got to complete a pass, you got to give yourself options out of formations. Yeah, I don't know. I'm just not an option guy. I've never been. Yeah. I think your Michigan season this year, with whoever running and maybe Dylan McCaffrey is a little bit more mobile, I think it looks very similar that Michigan would hit that ten and two ceiling something like that ten and two, eleven and one, nine and three. Like, I think your floor certainly is higher, but you do need to put string together drives where you don't have a lot of time and you need to throw the ball down field, and then you get into defensive recruiting issues. So to me, that is you're still on the precipice of playoff, but not quite breaking through.
Speaker 2: Final question here, and I'm sending this one over to you, big guy.
Speaker 1: Okay, this one comes to us from Nick.
Speaker 2: He says we invented a new holiday on New Year's Day called dip a Palooza, the idea being that a never ending parade of dips is perfect for Bowl watching. What are your go to dips? Needs some new recipes for twenty nineteen? Dan, What do you got so you do something similar to this?
Speaker 1: Right? For football competition? Food competition?
Speaker 2: I do something called a Super Bowl right where it's a soup off. Everyone cooks their favorite soup and then you vote on your favorite suits. But that's not a New Year's Day, right, But I do something similar.
Speaker 1: Do you have your soup chosen for twenty eighteen?
Speaker 2: Actually, might go with the one that you told me up. Yeah, a lot as techa. I believe it's so as teca. Yeah, I didn't have to help me cook that. By the way, I'm not sure I know how.
Speaker 1: Oh you'll be great.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Dip a palooza is a wonderful idea because it's it gives you options, maybe a triple option enough. I would I would home make some hummus, even Coca Cola is, even though they're slandering hummus all season long and they're dumb, dumb commercial, I would go hummus. I would go gualk. I would like a red pepper type dip, like a puade red pepper, and you could play around with humm I if you so choose. Is that the plural form of hummus? I would yeah, I mean I'm just making that up. Yeah, I love a bean dip tie and technically hummus is that, but like a multi layered bean dip, but it can wreak havoc. You have you have to choose your company wisely if you're going to go in on a bean dip. Yeah, I would just really master guak and I have I think I've said this before My secret to guak is pea shoots. No, that was like a New York Times awful thing. My secret is I'll roast up a little bit of garlic because that gives it a little bit of sweetness and body. I'll tear it apart into little bits, and so that rounds out the acid and salt real nicely in aquak. And I also chill the guak in a fridge before I serve it. All right, do you have any dip ideas that you get very excited? I like a tetsiki. If there's like a warm peda option.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna make a taco dip tomorrow.
Speaker 1: But hey, what's in it?
Speaker 2: It's not nearly as sophisticated as any of the more gourmet options that I think you're discussing here. Mine just entails mixing together some sour cream and cream cheese.
Speaker 1: Oh god, no, no, you mix it together. Yeah, mix it together. My stomach is already reacting poorly.
Speaker 2: You you layer the base of like a foil pan with that, okay, Then on top of it you get just any your favorite kind of salsa port on top, and then you get taco cheese, like two bags of that taco cheese.
Speaker 1: Wow, and you sprinkle it on top, so are you melting it? And now you're not melt it?
Speaker 2: No? No, no, you get it cold and then you just get some scoops and and uh yeah, it's iuthentic Mexican.
Speaker 1: I love a French onion dip, real easy. Nobody ever hates on that. I think I saw some pre roll before a YouTube video for like a pizza ranch dip where they're a melting mozzarella over ranch and cream cheese and putting pet I just it's not doing it for me, ty, it's just not doing it for me to any other dips that you get excited about. Not much of a dalsas a dip. He'll make a salsa.
Speaker 3: No, not much of a dipper.
Speaker 1: How is that possible?
Speaker 2: Is?
Speaker 1: Here's my question fundamentally, is buffalo chicken dip an actual dep or is it just stewed stewed chicken?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: How much meat is? I feel like me, does it take for it to go over the top? I feel like it isn't. I think that's I think it's good. Yeah, I don't know if it's a dep I think it's just a filling in a bowl.
Speaker 2: All right, well, we covered some ground here on this podcast. Thank you to everyone who wrote in with questions. We'll do our best to answer more over the course of the next days and weeks. Don't forget on Wednesday, gonna preview some more Bowl games and do our best, hopefully by the end of I guess next week to get through all the Bowl games so that you're ready. You've got some semblance of what's going to happen in these contests. We've got a bunch moving forward that we got to get through. I'm looking at the list here, only made a small dent in the totality of Bowl games.
Speaker 1: Yep, that is coming at you here over the next couple weeks.
Speaker 2: So by all means, please stay tuned to the verbal make sure that you are updating your confidence pools accordingly, sliding games around, mixing and matching, entering your winners. If you decide to change your mind, I've already changed my mind on a couple here. I'm about to just to the course of recording here, so we'll be back on Wednesday. Dan, thanks for waking up early with me here to record the show.
Speaker 3: For that go over there on.
Speaker 1: Beautiful New York City for myself today a little bit, catch.
Speaker 3: You all in a few days. Meantime, stay solid, Hi,