Speaker 1: Hello Texans, Welcome to the program. Mark Vandermin and John Harris with you. Training Camp day two in the books. We've got an open practice tomorrow at the Houston Methodist Training Center at a big show for you. Tonight you'll hear best of Nick Cassario or visit with him, and usually Thursday nights we have the General, but we'll have a little bit of the best of General from this morning and we'll catch up with him tomorrow morning as well at eight point thirty at the field fifty yard line seats.
Speaker 2: So nice.
Speaker 1: And also Alex Bachman Turner overdrive. I added the turner over drive. It's Alex Bachman with Johnny Harris tonight, Jacob Martin with deep bcity tonight and m J Stewart little appearance from him as well as we get rolling here. Johnny, I know you had a chance to watch a ton of practice.
Speaker 2: Am I seeing things?
Speaker 1: Or is there more team work meaning eleven on eleven done in this camp than maybe any other camp we've ever seen as far.
Speaker 2: As through two days.
Speaker 3: So I tracked yesterday just kind of time just looking at practice and when will when we would get off the air, and what I could see in practice, and yesterday being Wednesday, they started seven on seven. I looked up and we were in the middle of Landry's camp questions. I was like, okay, all right, let's get through these, so I can I can get over there, and so I was able to see kind of the last three or four reps seven on seven that saw all the team stuff today. When we got off there, I mean, I'm watching and I'm like, okay, it's time for seven on seven. Well, they went a few extra minutes with special teams and then they went right to team and do any seven on seven today.
Speaker 2: So they did four.
Speaker 3: Four as I kind of four team sessions, so that team one, team two or periods team one, period team two, team three, team four. Then they had a special teams in there, and coach got smart. Well, coach is smart. The entire organization is smart, because he had I think ten minutes for e shows team periods.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he shut him down after like eight and a half.
Speaker 1: Well, I found out why they got all the reps in they've been working quickly and efficiently.
Speaker 2: Was to help with the heat. But either way, say they could he was per team period.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if they get them done with eight thirty on the clock or one thirty left or whatever it is, they'll just shut down the period it has not ended early. So that's what went down today, And I thought that was pretty cool that they're working efficiently.
Speaker 3: I thought that was for the heat, but either way, it's good. It's good that they're doing things efficiently. So, yeah, it was a lot of team stuff, but but that's fine. I mean, it's kind of the sexy stuff that we all like to see. The nuts and ultimate start on Sunday. When you put the pads on, now you can really do You can do your inside stuff. You can do nine and seven, you could do seven on seven with pads. You know, you can have receivers doing stock block trails. You can do one on one and be physical with the wide receivers and the dB. So that that kind of stuff I think will be more on on Sunday. And they've kind of been at this this type of practice since what or mid May? Yeah, late May, so you know, get through some team stuff, you work on some stuff. I feel like the offense bounce back today. Draw Johnson, you know, walked out the field and we were talking a little bit as he was leaving the field and He's like, we got better today, and it was true they did. They got better today. I thought the quarterbacks do the ball better. I still think the secondary had straps. I mean they just they were strapping the whole day.
Speaker 2: They had.
Speaker 3: This secondary could be really, really good. And I start my my Harris hits with the throw that CJ. Stroud makes are made to to Noah Brown on our sideline, right, Yes, I mean that throw is yeah, it's unbelievable. I break it all down so you can you can see that. But to me, the story of today, and really I think could be the story of the season. I'll just put it as one in five. I think Jimmy Ward with Jaylen Petrie is gonna be outstanding. I cannot I cannot wait to watch those two together. The very first playoff team Jimmy came out of the middle of the field, the middle of the field coverage. He saw where I think it was Davis at quarterback at that point, I believe, but swore Davis want to throw the ball, made a break for it. I mean, he's ten years in the league and he just looks. Spry gets over there. He ended up dropping the interception. But the fact that he was there, the fact that he was there.
Speaker 2: Making those plays.
Speaker 3: Jalen Petree broke up a hitch route in man coverage against Tank Dell.
Speaker 5: I mean, come on, those.
Speaker 3: Two guys are just They're around the ball. They can interchange, they can play up, they can play down. There's so much that those two can do. I think I think the identity is team up front. You know, those guys you know talk trash. They're not boisterouster, not out going, you know, all that kind of stuff. You know, linebackers just do their work. Not saying that. Jimmy and Jalen you know, do that. But I think there's gonna be a ton of leadership coming from those two safeties.
Speaker 1: Okay, I've got a guy for you that's gonna go into bubble rep after Sunday's practice.
Speaker 2: As far as I'm concerned.
Speaker 1: If he has a great practice on Sunday, I might shut him down into bubble wrap. Now that's not literally gonna happen because Demico won't listen to me on this one. But Damian Pierce is a very good football player, and he had this just ends breaking news. You cannot get this kind of information anywhere else.
Speaker 2: He had all right, so there are no paths.
Speaker 1: He had a run today though, where I thought that was gonna be a good run no matter what the situation was. And then he had a couple of catches Johnny, and I thought, I even said to you during the practice, they need to throw the ball at Piers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they do.
Speaker 1: I know that third down back and we talk about this with first and second down backs versus third down backs. And I love Devin Singletary and I want to see plenty of them, but I want to see the ball in Pierce's hands any which way you can get the ball there. And I think they're gonna be throwing a Piers sometimes because he made a couple of catches off throws that were not errant, but there were just tough catches out of traffic, out of a traffic pocket situation, and he made a one hander I thought showed a lot of his ball skill ability.
Speaker 2: That's gonna upset the Florida.
Speaker 1: Gators fans even more, who already complained that they did not use him enough when he was there. But I love seeing him today. Let's get to CJ quickly because we have some interviews to get to. But what do you say think of what you saw from number seven today. I thought Mills had a nice practice as well. For the bulk of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought Davis threw it well until he threw an interception and it was a decision he'd like to have back, and he kind of struggled little bit after the interception, but then he got it back at the end. Well, the really nice started Brevin Jordan, but CJ made a throw early in the team session. So they would go one of the quarterbacks, Mills or Stroud to start, then they would go Mills or Stroud after that. Then in case then they would circle back and go back to the same order, and so they were going back to CJ. So it was one of the last plays of the first team session. And so from my angle as I'm watching the play, I can't see CJ. He's basically getting developed by the rush in the pocket and all of a sudden you just see a right arm come out and this ball just I mean you.
Speaker 2: Could hear it. It's like a you.
Speaker 3: Know when you put a ball through a pitching machine. It just rocketed out. I was like, and I'm like, where's he throwing this? And I look and there's Tank in the middle of the field, run the dig rot and he hits him right between the one and the three. And that's one of those where I'm like, yo, I mean, I mean on the sideline, you know me, I talked a lot of times. I talked to you all the game's going on, but on the sidelines, I'll talk to myself like, oh, that's a throw. I mean, like I get excited about it. I mean, that was he ripped it. Not perfect today, but I thought he was much better than he was on Wednesday and again one percent every day. We talked about that this morning, right, I think he did that. But man, he made a couple throws no Brown, the one at the end the throat to Dell Early, the throw to Noah Brown on the sidelines where we were standing ball. We were right in line with it, and it's in a six inch spot. It's got to be in six inches because Sting is in great coverage on Brown and it's in that six inch spot. It is the only spot where Brown could have caught it. For to catch it and get his toes in about it was incredible.
Speaker 2: My throw.
Speaker 1: My observation is it's tough get to get completions against this defense. Yes, right now, early in camp, this time of year. They've seen you for all those weeks in OTAs in mini camp. They I don't want to say they know what's coming, but they know the personnel right, so it's difficult. He ended practice with some nice throws the Wonder Brown like you mentioned a couple of others. He had a really nice look, really nice checkdown. I don't know, but he scanned the field.
Speaker 2: I saw him. Look at it.
Speaker 1: You the head's whipping around, look at different receivers, covered, covered, covered, I'll check it down.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I tutimation Shrek that one time. Yeah, on the far side, that was a good one.
Speaker 2: I want to go see, all right, what was there? Somebody open?
Speaker 1: But I'll take his word for it or his actions for it, and I think that's cool. He has these moments where that's not a rookie. That's not a rookie. So I'm sure there's rookie stuff going on behind the scenes we don't even know about, you know, who knows what the play calls are or whatever. But I think he's progressing nicely, and that's what you want to see. And I think Mills is improving as well, and Keenum when he's out there. He has some nice throws today, the crafty veteran not going away.
Speaker 3: Okay, So there's like there must be like a button on case Keenum right now, I got quarterbacks and it's like, you know, kind of kind of learning the game, do what the game plan says, and you know kind of you know, feeling yourself a little bit. And then there's this far button that says gunslinger mode. He is in gunslinger mode. He is firing, I mean, just ripping it. He threw a slammer out to Hutchinson today that was just full on. I mean, just let it fly this, I mean, I love it. He's in total gunslinger mode. I think it's great. And you never know, you never know what you might need from Keenum this year.
Speaker 2: He looks pretty good. He looks good.
Speaker 1: Absolutely also looking good out there. Nick Cassario, the general manager, we visited with him this morning, right across the table from us, is the general manager of this organization.
Speaker 2: Nick Assario.
Speaker 6: Is this gatorade sponsorship or is this want to make sure we have we're hydrated.
Speaker 1: In case you need hydration. But yesterday you were, you were walking across the field. I hate to you know, bring up these observations. You were eating something. We're gonna have a whole segment. What is Nick eating actually here with me?
Speaker 2: Oh? Really? Yes, stinger honey. Oh, it's like a healthy that's very good. That's fas what it is.
Speaker 6: It's my kind of mid morning snack to make sure I have I'm fueled for practice o'clock or something like my athletic gree Yeah, there.
Speaker 2: Mean not so much.
Speaker 3: We were talking about we were joking about this a little while ago, two years ago when when Omar came to you had said, Hey, these two jokers over there on Texans Radio wants you to come on and talk during training camp, like two years ago.
Speaker 2: What are you thinking about that?
Speaker 3: Joining us and talking about position groups and things like flashbacks.
Speaker 1: New England Tommy Brady.
Speaker 6: No, I mean, I think training camp is an exciting time for everybody. So it's kind of the start officially the start of the season. So there's always intrigue, there's always interest, and there's a lot to talk about, and there's gonna be a lot of things that happened between now and kind of the end of training camp in the beginning of the season here. So but that's why we're here.
Speaker 1: Let's mention John Mechi right off the bat here because it's such a terrific story.
Speaker 2: I mean, no matter what happens.
Speaker 1: From here, but it's so great to see him running around catching passes nick after everything he's been through.
Speaker 6: Sure, really, there's always a human element to the players, and sometimes I think we kind of lose sight of that, and I think in John's case, it was certainly heightened because of everything that he had to go through on a personal level, but I would say it just speaks to who John is as a person. Our medical staff from start to finish has been great. There's been a lot of people that have been very supportive, you know, from the Technans organization, even from ownership, because I would say, what he had to go through last year, there were some things that you know, we were responsible for. But you know, our job is to serve and help the players as best we can on any level and be there for them because once we draft them, once we bring them into the building, they're part of who we are and what we're about. So you know, I think John's as excited as anybody, but I think he's probably trying to take it just one step at a time. The first step was to be out in the field there yesterday, so I mean, get a lot of days in front of us here. So now it's about stacking days. And you know, it's about football, but it's really not about football. It's really human being and their life and kind of what they had to endure and go through.
Speaker 2: Nig I don't know.
Speaker 3: If you know this, but this offseason you extended not one, not two, but three offensive linemen.
Speaker 2: I mean I'm breaking news to you.
Speaker 3: Of course, but the importance of extending those veterans Larry Tunsel, Shack Mason and now Titus Howard. Why was it important a to get that done now, but to actually do the extension with those three players.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean number one there.
Speaker 6: We think they're good players and we think they can help our football team. So the contractual element, let's say, is always kind of a little bit of a separate endeavor and you have to go through that. But you know, we were very it's diligent and conscious about making a commitment. We've talked from the beginning, your football team is built in the inside out. I mean we believe that, and that's how we're building their team. So I'd say those actions certainly reinforce that idea. Those are players that have even though they're younger players, they have a certain level of experience. You know, we had a background with Shack from our time in New England. Shack's been a good player, So starts the offensive line. Everything you do offensively starts with the front. So you know, we felt that was the right thing to do for our team given where we are. So now it's about performance. So you know, we can talk about contracts and everything else, but now it's about going out there and doing the work and playing at a competitive en level. But whether you're going to be effective running the ball, throwing the ball like, everything is going to start with the offensive line, So I mean that's a good place to start relative to those three players.
Speaker 1: How do you evaluate what you see out there, especially in the early going of training camp because we always talk about iron sharpening iron, but it just seems so difficult to get things done buying large, especially on the offensive side of the ball. Is it true that the defense, since they're destroying something rather than creating something, they might be a little ahead.
Speaker 2: How do you see all that? Nick?
Speaker 6: The offensive football is really about timing and precision, So how do you get to that endpoint just takes a lot of work. You're working in different combinations of people. Different quarterbacks arewing with different skill players, so we're gonna work with everybody, but the timing and the accuracy and there's Look, the reality is in training camp, one day the offense is probably gonna be able to in defense. Some days the defense is going to be a little better than the offense. Are you improving, are you making progress as an overall group, are you making the corrections? Are you actually moving in the right direction? So early in the year of defense is probably going to be a little bit ahead of the offense. But as an offensive football team, you just want to try to figure out what do we do well, who are some of the things that who are some of the players that we're going to be able to utilize in different roles, and then just go out there and practicing. And offensive football is about timing, It's about execution. And Tamiko and Bobby have talked about this. Our offensive i'd say team or identity was going to be built on precision. So precision, how do you get to that point? Comes a lot of work. So hopefully we can improve each day. Football. Offensive football is throwing, catching, running, and blocking. So how do you improve those areas? You work on them? Establish your fundamentals, You put a good foundation in place, and then you have those that you can build on as you work through the course of the season.
Speaker 3: Nick, as far as the timeline for you know, it talks about install by the time you get the training camp. Do you want to have both sides of the ball have everything they're gonna do install. I know there're gonna be some game plan things that you do week to week. You're gonna do this against Baltimore and maybe this against Indianapolis, et cetera. But for the most part, do you want to get the training camp having all of that installed? Or do you use kind of the early parts of training camp when you're not in pads these first three days to install even more of the training camp?
Speaker 2: How does that kind of go for both sides of the ball.
Speaker 6: Yeah, really, it's kind of the second opportunity to sort of reinstall I would say the foundation and the base elements of your offense, defense and special teams principle. So really, what we're doing in an expedited fashion is going back through what we did in the spring, so we had, however many OTA nine or ten, whatever it was, plus the mini camp. You go through the same thing. So yesterday we started with day one, and when you set your training camp schedule, you go through and say, okay, day one, day two. Typically after day eight, you probably have seventy five eighty percent of your core system in place. When you get to the season, you're making some tweaks and adjustments to who you're playing again, so there might be some things you look at and say, this is relevant, We're gonna or this is not, we're gonna throw this out, and you're just kind of building on what you've put in place from the beginning. So after about a week eight to ten days, you probably have your system in place. Then you go out there and practice it, and then after that what you're gonna focus on are the situational elements. Maybe it's more of a rhetitary emphasis or two minute or short yardage or four minute or end of game. Those are some things that are very specific to the actual situation that's gonna take place in the game. So you typically have kind of an early down. Here are the calls on early downs here's our third down calls. Here are red zone calls. Kind of the basic core elements in those areas, and then continually rep them and practice them and you might find, you know what I mean a little bit more work of this during practice. So that's the focus that day, and then once you start playing games in the preseason, you're probably just gonna run the things that you've installed. That's seventy five eighty percent. When you get to the regular season, you're building your game plan specific to your opponents. So maybe there's a call or two that we're going to use against Baltimore that we wouldn't use against somebody else. But I would say just when you look at the league and you look at our schedule, even early on in a season, there's probably going to be some elements relative to playing Baltimore in Indianapolis, assuming ar is going to play to some degree that we're going to have to be prepared for. So maybe you have a practice where you service the other team that you cart it up and say, okay, we're going to go through these looks so you can at least get it on film, you can coach off of it, and you go back and make adjustments, make a tweak change, an alignment, change, a call. I think those are some of the things as you get further in a training camp that you're going to look to do.
Speaker 2: You've seen a lot of rookies come into this league.
Speaker 1: They all develop at different speeds, right, So how difficult is it to keep that in mind as you're trying to measure their progress as they.
Speaker 6: Hit the ground running here, No, Mark's a great point. Just try to maintain some perspective. What are they being asked to do. What's the assignment on the player, the executing assignment. If there's an area that they're struggling with, what can we do to help them? Is there a drill or something that we can cover to kind of help their overall development. But the rookie season, there's an art, there's an ebb and flow, there's an arc, there's an up and down, and.
Speaker 2: Some progress quicker than others. You can't put a timeline.
Speaker 6: You can't just lump them all together and say, Okay, by this date, by this time, they have to be ready to do this.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's early on.
Speaker 6: We're going to give them forty to fifty percent of it and make sure they can handle that and that maybe it's focused on early downs, don't worry about third down sub packages. At some point maybe they'll handle that. But you kind of look at the player, where are they in their arc of development? What do we need to do to help them improve? And to your point, some get to that point a little bit quicker than others. It doesn't mean that they can't get there. It just means it's typically, you know, gonna take a little bit longer for some players. There's no particular rhyme or reason, but the NFL is hard and the margins are very small. So whatever we can do to help the player be most prepared, that's our job as a staff to try to put the play you're in the best position to succeed.
Speaker 3: Nick, the joint practice is for opportunities to Miami two against New Orleans. How did those from your perspective become important for the squad? Because you not only look at us, but you get a chance to look at the other side.
Speaker 2: So how are they important? I mean, we talked about this a lot.
Speaker 3: You know, players get a lot of reps and all that, But from your perspective, why are they important not only for the team but also for.
Speaker 6: What you guys and the coaching staff look at. Yeah, I mean everything that we do is important. So it's an opportunity to work against a different group of players, a different technique, a different type of player. You know, maybe it's Okay Chubb and Jalen Phillips. Yeah, maybe they're a little bit different than our defensive as. It doesn't mean that, you know, theirs are better than ours. It just means they have certain things that and you might see that type of player during the course of the year. So if I'm a player and if I'm studying who I'm going against on a weekly week basis, which is that's your job, it's your responsibility, Well, here's an opportunity to do it kind of in real time that you normally wouldn't get. So it's good for everybody. I think it's all about just maximize the opportunities. We'll get as much out of it as we put into it. And from an evaluation standpoint, you have a chance to look at some of the players on some other rosters that might help you in your team building process, whether it's now or at a later point in time.
Speaker 1: Johnny and I talk about the weather here, like we're junior varsity meteorologists, right, but it is a factor. How has the technology that you use medically and just being able to monitor these guys, how has that evolved over the last few years, Nick, as you try to keep them as fresh as possible significantly?
Speaker 6: I'd say data and technology is a big part of sport. It's probably become a bigger part of our sport here over the last probably three to four years, even more sort of in vogue. I think each team probably has an area and resources that they allocate to that. But what we're trying to do is data is data, But how do you use that data? How do you apply the data? And what can you provide the players that can actually help them and educate them? So how much just something as simple as you weigh in each each morning before practice, and it's not you're trying to be difficult to see if a guy's overweight or underweight. It's here's where he was to start at practice. At the end of practice, he lost six pounds, So what does that tell us? Okay, he loses a lot of fluids. So you have to be able to do things preventatively. So if you have the data in front of you. You can show the player and say here's why we're doing this, and the players just want to know why. And if they understand that you're helping them and they're overall physical and mental well being and conditioning, then they're certainly going to buy in. And I think you know, there's been some positive commentary I think in the off season relative to some of the things that we've been able to provide our players, But that's our job. Our job is to do everything we can to help the players to put them in the best position to optimize their performance when they're on the field.
Speaker 3: On Sundays, I really want to ask you about going to New England for the first time as a Texan, but I'll save that.
Speaker 2: I'll save that for a later day visit.
Speaker 3: Well, what happens sooner will be Sunday, kind of continuing in a conversation a little bit, Nikko, what you're just talking about. You put the pads on on Sunday and out here there's so much that you want to seeing pat I mean, obviously, alignment's the first time you're seeing them in the pad since January. But then you balance that out with you know, we're doing this in ninety degree heat. So there's so much that goes with putting pads on. So that period of time I would imagine is that much more important for a lot different reasons. But when they put the pads on, what are kind of the first few things that you want to see once they do on Sunday.
Speaker 6: Yeah, when you put the pads on, there's a mental and physical component that the player is going to go through. You're carrying a little bit extra weight, that's the reality of it. So you have to get you know, yourself and your body reacclimate whatever the term is, acclimization period whatever, but get yourself kind of a feel of that again, and then the timing and then really where it's going to be beneficials in a running game. So you can work on the timing and the excution in a running game. A single blocks, a double team blocks, playing off of blocks, defensively, dealing with contact, catching the ball at contact, catching the ball with your pads on and your helmets, so you're just adjusting your body a little bit to your surroundings. So then it becomes a little bit of a normalization process. Then you can focus on your actual individual assignment and your technique, So it's tough. I mean, we live in a warm climate. It's the reality of it, so you know we're going to play in warm conditions. But in the end, you're playing football. You're not playing the heat, you're not playing the conditions. So once you kind of get through that initial mental block, then you can focus on football and just improving as a player.
Speaker 1: When you played quarterback in college, did you have those big shoulder pads like little coffee tables on your shoulders?
Speaker 2: I mean, how big were bigger than now?
Speaker 6: I didn't cut the I didn't Michael Bennett where I cut the pads off and then the flap's going.
Speaker 2: But my pads were probably average size.
Speaker 6: So as long as I could move a little bit and turn, and you know we wouldn't, we didn't.
Speaker 2: Have an issue. What was camp like?
Speaker 6: I don't want to say this because everybody will get mad at me, but it's probably harder than some of the things that when we're doing in the league relative to contact, timing, how much you can practice and all that. I love training camp, so I know people thought it was psychotic. So you know, in the summer and work in the summer, then we go train for two and a half three hours, we'd throw, we'd lift.
Speaker 3: And probably training can there was probably a break for you doing all that construction work.
Speaker 2: You got the football.
Speaker 3: You're like, I believe it all that exactly, But it was true two days back then, right, Yeah, No.
Speaker 6: We would practice and then we would go in, we would need we would lift, then we'd go back out and need hather of another practice or we'd have a walk through or you're doing something you really and there was no really time constraints, Like nobody was worried about that. So you know, we're adjusting and adapting like everybody else. So whatever the rules are, we'll make sure we're in compliance. So I think you get twelve hours a day. So now you just try to maximize those twelve hours and try to be as productive with those as you can.
Speaker 3: Man, I worked on a pipeline here in Houston, and I still didn't like two days.
Speaker 2: Just you know, it's starred man hard.
Speaker 3: Two days back in the day before you started classes hard because coaches are.
Speaker 2: Like, man, bleep this, you're with us all day.
Speaker 3: Pal practice starts at eight you got a meeting at you got a meeting at seven am, you got practice at eight, You then have.
Speaker 2: A meeting at noon, then.
Speaker 3: You have practice at two, and then you got a meeting at five, and then you got another meeting at eight.
Speaker 2: It was like that for two straight weeks.
Speaker 3: I was like, man, I'll make you think a lot about whether you love football or not you go through all that.
Speaker 2: But I did, and Nick did, and we're all doing it.
Speaker 3: It's a little different now, but you get the point. All right, we get back. We're gonn talking to Alex Bachman and m J.
Speaker 2: Stewart.
Speaker 3: Well, I did, and you want to hear that next right here in Texans All Access.
Speaker 2: What's happening, everybody.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to a Thursday atation of Texans All Access.
Speaker 2: John Harris, your host.
Speaker 3: Glad to be with you and hopefully you'll join Mark and I tomorrow eight to ten on Friday.
Speaker 2: Fans will be in the stands. It's gonna be electric.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be so cool for this these fans to see this team, and I just I can't wait.
Speaker 2: I can't wait for you guys to take a look.
Speaker 3: Go man, Yeah, I like what's going on because it's great to hear about it and great to come out in theory and all that.
Speaker 2: Kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: But when you see it live, you're like, yo, okay, all right, I see what's going on, and you feel good about that. So we've got that to look forward to eight to ten tomorrow, but we got the show to take care of tonight.
Speaker 2: We've heard from Nick Casseerra. That was fun stuff with Nick.
Speaker 3: Now, two players that Nick has brought on I had a chance to talk to over the last.
Speaker 2: Couple of days.
Speaker 3: The first one wide receiver Alex Bachman, one of the more fun guys to talk to you on his team. You haven't if you haven't really caught up on wake Forest. Did a great job of wake Forest in his career really run. It's from North Carolina. Then he's bound around the league little but he's in his fifth year in the NFL and he's really fun to talk to. And I started every interview off, how's the heat. How's it hanging with the heat? Oh boy, it's been tough. Here's Alex Bachman, receiver for your Houston Texans.
Speaker 4: I got superstar Alex Bachman with me.
Speaker 3: Alex, First of all, we do this every single day, one to ten.
Speaker 4: Give me your level of the heat in day one.
Speaker 2: Man, it's the hottest.
Speaker 7: I've felt it hit me in the mouth probably first seven on seven periods. So, I mean, I went to school in North Carolina, but there's no type of humidity quite like this. But hey, you know, good start, come back tomorrow and get better. You learn to get used to the humidity, and you know, no excuses. So everybody has to deal with it.
Speaker 2: You're right about that.
Speaker 4: Everybody just have to deal with I'm gonna go to your off season.
Speaker 2: He's drop season, like I thought.
Speaker 3: I saw some videos out there, guys throwing the ball around. Who's drop season? Like, getting everybody together throwing a ball around the guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: CJ called us up to go out to LA for good four days opportunity to just get to know your teammates better, get to know how each of us tick. I spend some time together, throw the ball around at UCLA and just get mentally prepared to come in and go to work this full camp.
Speaker 3: So you come in day one not in pads yet for a receiver, I always asked hers Sol. Obviously a lineman could feel it, but when you put the pads on, what's the biggest what's the.
Speaker 2: Biggest change for you?
Speaker 3: As pretending rot running catching the football is now you got pads, so you're more kind of hindered with.
Speaker 8: That when you put the pads on. As a receiver, what does that kind of change for you? I don't think about how it hinders me at all. Always think about how I can use it to my advantage. Come off, be a fisical receiver. Set the tone. We got pads onto.
Speaker 7: Everybody talks about, you know, how the defender is the one who is probably gonna begin or start collisions. But I've always felt being a fitsical receiver, I can be the same.
Speaker 3: So, Alex, we were talking this morning on radio about the receivers, the receiver group as a whole.
Speaker 2: And I know you guys might.
Speaker 3: Listen to may not you know what things are said around oh either the thirty second group in the league, all that kind of nonsense. I look at this group and I think there's a lot of potential there. What do you think about the receiver group that you have right now?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think we're actually got a lot of death. We've got a lot of guys willing to come in learn. You know, we got to two solid draft picks this year.
Speaker 4: Come in.
Speaker 7: They're you know, they're eager to learn, and you know they're improving each and every day. We got some Vets, Rob Woods, No Brown, just a good group of guys to come and work with. It's been a privilege and I'm just really excited. I think we're gonna surprise a lot of people.
Speaker 2: This fifth training camp for you in the NFL. Fifth yeah, fifth, fifth, one yeah.
Speaker 5: Half a decade.
Speaker 2: What's the key to making it through? Training?
Speaker 7: Day by day? Attack each day twenty four hours. I don't think about, you know, tomorrow. I don't think about a week from now, three weeks from now. I just come in each day and remember, you know, there's a line, you know, miles long that would love to be in my position. To take advantage of each day and find that that joy that I had when I was eight years old, you know, my first ever football game, that excitement, come out and just have a ball. I worked with my tirelet to get to this position, so I'm gonna have fun with it.
Speaker 2: Alex, I appreciate it. Think about that.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you. Yeah, you can ball. It's just gonna be tough with wide receiver. Man.
Speaker 3: But if there's anybody stepping into that competition ready to rock. Does every position, knows every route from every spot on the field.
Speaker 2: He could line up.
Speaker 3: Alex Bachman can run, really run, and I think that needs to be reiterated. And when you see him you'll know. But he has got a shot and he catches everything his way. So Alex Bakman, that's funny interview. I love getting a chance to talk with Alex. Now another guy. I love talking to you because I got mad respon this guy. In matter of respect for all these guys, but even more so for m J Stewart. You'll here I asked this first question of MJ because he was the guy that signed a couple.
Speaker 2: Of years ago and or last year.
Speaker 3: I mean, and when you sign, you think, okay, man, i'ma I'm gonna start this position, I'm gonna do this, I'm gonna do that. MJ didn't start, So he jumped over to special teams and just said, man, I'm gonna dominate. And he had that big forced fumble against the Chargers with a huge hit that forced to fumble that sent energy in apoplectic.
Speaker 2: It was incredible.
Speaker 3: But he was like that all year long on special teams and that really earned him time on the field at safety, and then you really started playing better at safety.
Speaker 2: So here's m J.
Speaker 3: Stewart not talking about that and then some after practice today.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, day number two along time my man, MJ Stewart.
Speaker 9: MJ.
Speaker 2: First question I've asked everybody. It's come off the field, the heat. How you doing with it?
Speaker 10: I'm doing pretty good, I know I got Last year is a touch transition for me coming from Cleveland, but this year I'm getting a little more used to it. We're in the long sleeve keep keep my body cool a little bit, so it is tough.
Speaker 4: I got the long sleeves mind, so I don't get to some burnos.
Speaker 2: I don't like where it's some state. I want to ask you.
Speaker 3: Something about and you know a lot of people do an interview that you know, talk about what you do on defense.
Speaker 2: We're gonna get to that.
Speaker 3: But you've been so impressive to me because you take such pride in special teams and being part of that unit, and last year was number one in the league. You're part of all four you know, core fourth special team or where does that come from? That you take that much pride because even a lot of guys get the spect teams that are like, man, whatever, but you take such pride in it and being a leader on that group.
Speaker 2: Where does that? Where's that come from?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 10: Just the love of the game. Man. Uh, it's a blessing to you know. Sometimes people forget that. It's a blessing to be an NFL. You know, it's a lot of people who don't make it. So you know, anytime I get to Gill in this field in front of the fans, man, I just take it, take it to give them my all because it's like I said, it's the love.
Speaker 2: Of the game.
Speaker 4: Friday, the fans do come out here. How much of a charge that give you?
Speaker 2: Guys? You got an off day on Saturday. It's not really off day in training camp.
Speaker 3: Anothers really all true off day, but you are not practicing on Saturday.
Speaker 4: So what's it gonna be like to have the fans here on Friday?
Speaker 2: To see them again?
Speaker 10: Man, just brings a lot of excitement. You know, hopefully we can uh you know on offense, defense and especially is getting something you know to look forward to during the season. But yeah, it just brings a lot of excitement. You know, you had the fans chair, you know, gets everybody hype.
Speaker 2: All right, well it gets people hype. Defense turning around? How different is.
Speaker 4: The scheme this year versus last year? Is it totally different?
Speaker 3: Or there's some things you can take forward, There's some things you can take from previous iterations where you've been in.
Speaker 2: Cleveland, or there's some things you take forward. Here, tell me about what this defense is all about.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's it's different. It's definitely different than last year. But I like, I like de Miko. I believe in this scheme a lot. You know, it's a great scheme, So just looking forward to show it off in the season.
Speaker 2: You got a couple of rookies, you got a couple of new guys in the room. What's that dB room like?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 10: Hey man, it's it's actually a pretty old group, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean.
Speaker 10: We got a couple of rookies, a couple of young guys, but we got a lot of veteran guys, so we're able to like feed off each other and feed off each other's like knowledge of the game.
Speaker 4: What's the one thing you make the rookies do for the vets?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 2: Donuts?
Speaker 9: Food, dude, Yeah, just snacks for the room. The snacks, you know, Uh, you know, we in meetings a lot during training camp, so you know, just having some snacks in there so you can, you know, stay up, stay away the attendive.
Speaker 2: What's the favorite snack that you've got to have in that room? Sounth flower seeds.
Speaker 10: Oh, gotta have a south Flower seas ranch particularly, but I gotta have a south Flower seas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so not regular ranch.
Speaker 3: See that's a new one because you know, if you're old like me, it's just regular seeds.
Speaker 2: But rance has been a thing the last couple of years. That's the way to the ranch. I like to rams. Okay, Ran sund Flower seas J.
Speaker 4: I appreciate your time, man, Thank you man, always, thank you spec Man.
Speaker 3: Absolutely love what that guy brings to this team, whether he's getting reps at safety, whether it's all four special teams. That guy's the kind of guy you gotta have around on a really good football team, championship football teams.
Speaker 2: M J.
Speaker 3: Stewart has been a lot to this organization last year, and he's going to mean a lot to the organization this year as well.
Speaker 2: All right, we get back. What's you're from? The general he stopped by.
Speaker 3: We chatted about a number of things, including that team up north wearing the Columbia blue. Yeah, we'll tell you about that. And that's something right here on Texans All Access. We got one final segment this Thursday edition of Texans All Access. What would a Thursday edition be without, well me John Harris football and a sideline reporting, your host Mark Vandermirin and the voice of the Texans and the General John McClain. We had to get his initial thoughts, his general reaction to day one at training camp.
Speaker 11: Well, there's nothing bad that comes from the first training camp practice as long as nobody gets hurt. You know, somebody gets hurt, and you see it happening all over the league. Guys go down and yesterday, as far as I know, everybody was healthy. They're going to great pains not to show us who they're leaning toward as a starting quarterback, although we know who it is. And yeah, you can't really tell.
Speaker 2: Let me.
Speaker 11: They were running around there playing pattycake football with no pads on and I and I would tell all the listeners to read John Harris as it used to be your observations.
Speaker 2: What is it called now?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Harris hits Yeah, we disguised it and O'Brien here. The previous coaching staff was not never mind.
Speaker 11: Yeah, because John will tell you just about everything he saw yesterday and thank you Josh.
Speaker 5: So it was everybody's everybody's fired up. Fans will be out here.
Speaker 11: Was tomorrow's Saturday, No Tomorrow, Sunday, Tomorrow and Sunday Saturday is an off day anytime the fans are out here, and they have a great setup for the fans. I think, uh, I may go one of these VIP sections and sit there on the fifteenth.
Speaker 2: You can watch practice here with me.
Speaker 1: We won't be on the air Sunday morning, but I'll be doing different stuff and we've got a nice area here for you.
Speaker 2: So you're welcome. Well.
Speaker 11: I appreciate that. And so when the fans come, it takes it up to another level, of course, and I think they're going to get about four thousand out here. Fans are fired up. You see players may can leaping a little higher, hanging on the balls a little more. I think you'll see Stroud and Nico Collins connecting like they did yesterday. So the fans when they come out here, it's electric, it's energized, and I think that's great for practice. Everybody talks about when they put on the pads. Coaches always say, when we put on the pads, you know, they still don't go off full contact. Guys go down when they slip or fall. That's why I can't wait for the joint practices because other than the quarterbacks, that is the real deal, and that's where you that's where we can really gauge people. But I as long as Nico Collins stays healthy and Robert Woods plays the way he expected, they'll be the starting receivers. The key is will John Matchee, Tank Dell. I can't wait to watch Tank when he's playing, for sure, because he's like a gnat, you know it. It's hard to catch a gnat, and love can't wait to see people try to tackle him. And of course John you mentioned yesterday about the linebackers Tortoa, I think it's only a matter of time before we see him get a lot more playing time. Denzel Perryman is a starter, you know, one of the things I'm interested. And they're gonna be playing two linebackers most of the time. That'd be at least at the start. Perryman and Christian Harris and Christian Kirksey is still here, Will Christian still be on the team when they cut back to fifty three because you can't really you don't really need three linebackers for about thirty percent of the time. And to Atoa, at some point he's going to be starting because that kid is good, he's smart, he can drop, he can run.
Speaker 5: I'm really looking forward to seeing him.
Speaker 3: Dan Well coached Ky from Dalla salle on Cocker, California. Then he played for Jeremy Pruett who was running Nick Saban's defense. Then he went into Nick Saban's defense, and now he's here with t Miika Ryant. So there's some some definite action there, there's no doubt. General, your your thoughts about the offense yesterday?
Speaker 1: C J.
Speaker 3: Stroud, Davis Mills, the quarterbacks, Mark and I kind of gave our thoughts left a little bit to be desired.
Speaker 1: What'd you think watching Let me piggyback on that one too, general, Why do you think they do it the way they're doing it? And splitting up the ones a little bit? They both got some time with the alternated drills. We well we interpret to be the ones. Why are they doing it that way?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 11: As opposed to the Panthers who have anointed yes, Bryce Young from the get go. They made no bones about it. I've seen situations where work both ways. I think they want Stroud to know that he's to believe he's competing, and they want to be fair to Davis Mills. Case Keenam knows his lot in life, and Case is almost here to be a coach or if somebody gets hurt and we all know that Stroud's going to win the job. I said yesterday to you guys, I think it'll be after the joint practices that maybe they say absolutely Number one, first two preseason games. I could see the first one Meal starting and the second one Stroud starting, and then the third one we're gonna know who's going to be the starter. Stroud needs a lot of playing time, yep, you know, Davis Mills. It's a new system. Anytime you put in a new system, quarterbacks need playing time too. But I think Case and he knows every system in the league, it seems like, and so he would need the least amount of playing time because he has such experience. And so, with all due respect to Davis Mills, who probably would be a better quarterback, with Bobby Slowick than he was last year with Pep Hamilton. I think anybody out here would believe that. But I and he will be better.
Speaker 5: But hey, CJ.
Speaker 11: Stroud was drafted second overall for a reason, and I hope he goes to Baltimore as the starter because he needs that experience.
Speaker 1: Well, I can't wait to see what they do in these preseason games. I can't wait to see how they divvy up the time. These joint practices are going to eat up a lot of starter reps, I would think, but you never know. Game situation is always going to be a little bit different.
Speaker 2: General. What do you make of the oiler schedule today that.
Speaker 11: Was released, Well, there's no surprises, exactly like I've been saying since March. They're gonna wear the Oilers uniforms against the Texans. I just I'm writing a column for Sports Radio six ' ten dot com later in the day. Just talk to Robert Brazil and he loved it, just like Warren Moon loves it. All those players want to see their uniforms again, and that's the only way it can be done is by them wearing it in Tennessee. And of course it's kind of ticking it to Houston to wear them here. But the players love it, and I think it's going to be great. I think it's great now. There's certain people like John Lopez who disagrees with me.
Speaker 5: He doesn't like it.
Speaker 11: But I want to see I want to see Columbia blue again. I don't care who his only other side of the field. I love those uniforms. I could take you to the Texans team shop. We could buy some h Town blue gear for you in general.
Speaker 5: But let me have.
Speaker 1: One more about that Nashville Titans fans. I'm a fan of the Titans in Nashville. Am I making too big a deal out of this? Is it joyful for them to troll the people of Houston? Yes, but don't you feel like they're they're under serving their local community that way.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's their fan base, not here.
Speaker 5: The their The media is trying to stir it up up there.
Speaker 11: I've been watching the videos and Paul Kaharsky, who always likes to stir it, he's asking the players what they think.
Speaker 5: Players don't care. Players there don't care, thank you?
Speaker 3: And scene, Yes, the players don't care. Let's just go do it on a field. As I said earlier, just with Basston, Tennessee, and it's all good. Big thanks to the General, John McClain, Marvan Demir, of course, Alex Blackman, MJ. Stewart, Nick Casario.
Speaker 2: And all of you for listen. Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: We'll see you tomorrow, bright and early at eight am on Sports Radio six ten. See then, everybody, and as always, go Texans,