Speaker 1: On today's episode. If I didn't know, maybe you didn't either. Let's discuss the American flag. Whenever I'm quizing folks on the American flag, I asked three questions. How many stars on the flag, how many stripes on the flag, and who created the flag. Now, if your answer was fifty thirteen and Betsy Ross, you got two out of three, I'll explain I didn't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe I didn't know. I didn't know. Maybe I didn't know. I didn't know. I didn't know.
Speaker 1: Now, when folks talk about the American flag, all you ever hear is bet See Ross this and bet See Ross that, But Betsy don't know ish because Betsy came round out like that Bo Jackson commercial.
Speaker 2: Keep up.
Speaker 1: Look, the point is folks is always talking about Betsy Ross in that flag, like she the Beyonce in the so On World or something. But what they don't tell you is that there was someone else putting in the work, a young black woman named Grace Wisher. Now Grace wasn't a prentcess right there with Betsy Ross helping stitch that flag together. But you think Betsy ever gave her as much as a shout out. Nope, that Joe, don't say the flag was created by Betsy Ross featuring Grace Wisher at the bottom of it.
Speaker 2: Nothing. It's like Grace was the AZ to Betsy's.
Speaker 1: Nas, you know what I'm saying, Like a z a lyrical genius co wrote some of the best verses on io Matic. But when folks talk about that album, they act like he wasn't even there.
Speaker 2: Grace was in the same boat, y'all.
Speaker 1: And let me tell you, Grace didn't even have the option to shine. It wasn't like she could hop on Instagram and post herself in like day three of stitching the stars and stripes on y'all hashtag black girl magic. No, this was the seventeen hundreds. Grace wasn't gonna get no flowers because back then black women didn't get no flowers. Hell, black people weren't even allowed to get near the bouquet. Grace's story is wild to me though, because her hands were literally on the symbol of freedom.
Speaker 2: Freedom, but she didn't even get a seat at the table.
Speaker 1: She like most death or y'all seeing Bay now that what we call him, see another one of them dope MC's.
Speaker 2: But he wasn't chasing commercial fame.
Speaker 1: He was out there spitting truth, making classics like black on both sides, but mainstream was like, nah, we're good on that. Grace was out here sewing up history, and society was like, nah, we good on that. See, Betsy Ross is like the doctor dre of the whole operation. While she had the connections, she got the credit, and Grace she were like Goodie Mob in the South, pioneering doing soul for conscious work.
Speaker 2: But usually our cast get all the credit for the South.
Speaker 1: And I mean, come on, like, without Goodie Mob, Southern hip hop wouldn't have been the same. Without Grace Wisher, that flag wouldn't have been the same either. So here's the real talk. When you see that American flag flying, Hugh, don't just think about Betsy Ross. Think about sixteen year old Grace Wisher, a little black apprentice that was behind the scenes making it happen even though she was not allowed to shine. She like Ray Kwan from Wutang, only built for Cuban Lynx, is a masterpiece. But you know, folks is always like, oh method man, oh ghost face, nah ma, give Ray Kwany's flowers and give Grace Wisher her flowers. Che's proof the history ain't all about who gets the credit. It's about who did the work. So next time you see that fifty star, thirteen striped American flag, you just remember sixteen year old black woman helped to make it happen, and I didn't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe you didn't either.
Speaker 1: I