Speaker 1: Hey there, I'm Ed Helms and this is Snafu Season three, Formula six. How prohibitions War on Alcohol went so off the rails the government wound up poisoning its own people. Welcome to another bonus episode. You may recall in these bonus episodes, I bring in a guest and just have a great interview. So, after spending this season unraveling prohibition, I wanted to talk to someone who knows this era inside and out, someone who could give us a whole new layer of historical context, color and detail. So who better than the guy who actually built it, or at least rebuilt it on TV inter Terence Winter, the brilliant creator of HBO's Boardwalk Empire. He joins me for a fascinating deep dive into prohibitions, gangsters, corrupt officials, and of course it's completely bonkers policies. We talk about his unlikely journey from Brooklyn to Hollywood, including the wild story of how he invented a fake talent agency to get his foot in the door, and how he stumbled upon the real life Nuckie Johnson, the inspiration for his lead character, Nukie Thompson. I also asked him whether Formula six was ever on his radar and dig into some of the not entirely coincidental parallels between his fictionalized characters and the real people we covered this season, And honestly, just as a fellow showbiz guy, I had a blast nerding out with him, because who doesn't love a peek behind the curtain of a great TV show? So settle in, grab a stiff drink, preferably non poisoned, and enjoy my conversation with Terrence Wintery. So good to meet you man, too. It's so so great to meet you.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I didn't know you were a history guy.
Speaker 1: You know, there's such a cool overlap of this season of Snafoo, which is all about prohibition, and we'll get into some of the really surprising things that I learned and research for this season that might even be surprising to you as an expert on prohibition because of your incredible series Boardwalk Empire. But let's start a little more broadly so our listeners can get to know you a little bit better. Where are you from originally? What was your sort of path to Hollywood writer?
Speaker 2: I grew up in Marine Park, Brooklyn, which is an area that I usually have to describe by its proximity to other neighborhoods in Brooklyn that people have heard of. You may have heard of sheeps at Bay Suhich actually was an integral neighborhood in terms of prohibition because boats used to come right in there, and that's kind of your Coney Island. So you know, basically, blue collar family, blue collar neighborhood. I actually started to be an auto mechanic in high school and that didn't stick. I took a detour into the Delhi business, eventually figured out that I needed to go to college. Eventually went to law school, practiced law for two years, hated it. And then my deep dark secret was I had always wanted to be a sitcom writer, which was something that you know on the East Coast in the seventies, you dare not tell your friends yes that you wanted to go to Hollywood and be anything.
Speaker 1: I had a similar thing in growing up in Georgia. I harbored these deep aspirations from a very young age. But I knew I could never tell anyone were drass kicks. Yeah, either get beat up or crazy, or they would just crush your dreams.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, which is what friends arefore can I curse on this?
Speaker 1: Hell?
Speaker 2: Yes or okay, because it's very difficult for me to talk with that. I do hold the record for the most uses of the word fuck in a movie, Wolf of Wall Street, which we're very proud of, So it's very hard for me to have a conversation, so that'll slip out occasionally. Anyway, once I came out of the closet as a writer, I just said, I'm moving to la and I'm going to figure this out. I showed up here in nineteen ninety one and I just kind of plunged in and I started out, you know, tempting to be a sitcom writer, and then eventually just morphed into drama that kind of had comedy in it. So I just got incredibly lucky and still lucky to be doing that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: So growing up in Brooklyn and then heading off to law school, did you then become a lawyer in Brooklyn?
Speaker 2: Did you say I was a lawyer in Manhattan. I My only ambition as a kid was I wanted to be rich, because we were not, And the only two jobs I knew that could make you rich were doctor and lawyer. The doctor was out and I remember there was a quote by Benjamin Franklin and he said, pour thy person into thy head and no man can take it from you, and you know, get an education.
Speaker 1: Basically, Yeah, that's a Peter Still.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 2: So I took creative writing and eventually I stumbled onto journalism. And you know, again, you know, my ambition was to make money. That was what a good job was. The concept of liking your job was something you know, you know, you just want to make money. So lawyer was the thing. So I had another professor journalism profession named Jerry Schwartz, who was a managing editor at the Associated Press, and I asked him to write a recommendation for law school and he did. He wrote me this glowing recommendation. He gave it to me in a Manila envelope and he said there's another letter in there for you personally, and that letter said, please don't go to law school, please be a writer. And I was like, this is the second adult who's told me I am a good writer.
Speaker 1: A good thing. He didn't submit that letter to the law school.
Speaker 2: I should. I might have saved me a lot of time. Meanwhile, all my friends who became auto mechanics, were making a fortune, and they all thought I was the biggest idiot in the world. Joe College, you know, I'm already now in the whole student loan wise from n YU, and I said, all right, there's only one way forward, and that's the law school. So I did that when at night, worked for Merrill Lynch during the day as a legal assistant to one of the lawyers who counseled the trading people, and graduated, got a job at a big Manhattan law firm, passed the New York Bar, the Connecticut Bar, and my first week there I realized I had made a grave, grave error. I hated it. I didn't I just couldn't give a shit about any of it. Within about a week and a half, I was sneaking out during the day going to movies, bookstores. I just two years in. I couldn't get out of bed in the morning. I just didn't go there.
Speaker 1: So it was really, you know, it was really were You're making good money there? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was great. I had everything I thought I wanted. I had an assistant, I had an office, I had a diploma written in Latin. I was like, holy shit, look at me, I'm a.
Speaker 3: Lawyer, and was that new? And did you go to NYU law school?
Speaker 1: Also?
Speaker 2: I went to Saint John's Law School, which is the Harvard of Queen's sure and I was in the top five percent of the bottom third of my class, so I was very proud of that. Again, it was like I wasn't even thinking in terms of are you happy? And you know it was I was like twenty nine at this point, and I had that moment like, okay, you were going to either jump out a window in ten years from the depression of working somewhere you just don't like and you'll never be good at this because you don't like it. What do you want to do when you wake up in the morning. And I was like, all right, well, maybe i'd be a salesman, you know, because I liked a bullshit. And I was like, all right, there's a little voice that said, come on, it's not a salesman, what is it. And I was like, all right, well, an ad copywriter. Maybe I could do that because and then even the voice like come on, go deeper. And then it was finally, I want to go to fucking Hollywood and write sitcoms. And once I said that out loud. It was like everything changed. But then I thought, all right, well, I remember this bit in Mister Saturday Night with Billy Crystal where he talked about the idea of you're either living room funny or you're really funny. You know, you could be funny with your friends, and yeah, hey, I'm I'm the funniest guy in the group. Can you do that for real? And I thought, all right, well I think I can't. And I thought the fastest way to figure this out is write my own material and do stand up and if I can get people to laugh, then I'm legit.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: I wasn't particularly interested in being a stand up, but I wanted to see am I crazy? Or am I funny? Or I really am funny. So for a couple of months right around that time, I was doing stand up and catcherizing Star and this is what your strip ninety nineteen ninety.
Speaker 1: Nineteen ninety. Wow, what a great time in those clubs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yes. And it was interesting too because it was like this young woman named Sarah Silverman. Sure, holy shit, Chris Rock was still around, you know.
Speaker 1: I well, these are the real deal, you know.
Speaker 2: And I was doing open mics and watching these people and going a man, you know, like a young Sarah Silverman was just great to see that, and then to watch her career after that was great. Wow, you know I did okay. You know, I get on at two in the morning, the three people and it's okay, I said something. They laughed, great that work this word that. And then once I once I've said okay, I'm not crazy, then I was like, all right, I'm doing this.
Speaker 1: So you stopped doing stand up and then dove it. That's so interesting that that that crucible of stand up was your sort of testing ground, and.
Speaker 3: It way I had a similar, uh similar path.
Speaker 1: I knew that I wanted to work in comedy, and to me, stand up was sort of like, all right, if you're serious, you know, get into it. And I got right into that same circuit you were in, but like the next sort of time frame. So I started in about ninety seven ninety eight, and uh, and I love I still relish my years in the New York City stand up.
Speaker 2: It's anybody who's never done it. I mean, you know, it's funny if you think like they say, like one of the biggest fears people have is speaking in public. Yeah, speaking in public with the agenda of also trying to get people who laugh. Yeah, is like, and it's funny. Do you do a bit or you say a joke and people don't laugh, It's like getting punched in the face. Oh yeah, it is like it is no sound louder than people not laughing. Yeah, they say, you think they're going.
Speaker 1: To Let's say you're like a string quartet, or or like even a great professor at a university giving a lecture. Most performers will get up in front of an audience and the audience actually wants them to succeed. Not true in comedy clubs. A lot of audience members in a comedy club want you to bomb. They want they want to feel the train wreck. They're there to see the just car crash. But wow, that's that's awesome. Okay, So then then Hollywood and you just moved out and I jumped in down.
Speaker 2: I did not know a soul. I literally sold everything I had. I was not in a relationship at the time, and I just showed up here. On May eighth, nineteen ninety one, I got a room in a horror Sro hotel is actually in MacArthur, Park, and now I was like, I have to figure out. So I went down to the Writers Guild and this was just complete luck. They had a list of new agents or young agents who were actually looking for clients. And on that list was a guy I went to law school with who sat four seats away from that. Oh wow, and his name was Doug Vivianni. He's not an agent, so don't call him. But I called him and I said, what are you doing? Are you an agent? He says, no, I am a real estate attorney and a client of I wrote a book on real estate, and I use the fee to get bonded as an agent. But I don't know anything about being an agent. I said, congratulations, you're my agent.
Speaker 1: What are you talking?
Speaker 3: I'm in la.
Speaker 2: I'm right, I'm trying to be a writer. I need an agent, I said, So I'm going to create the Doug Vivianny Agency out of a mailboxes, et cetera. And we're going to get letterhead and a phone mail and I'm going to submit my work under your letterhead, and if I get anything, you get ten percent, like an agent.
Speaker 1: He said, great, So that's what I did. So you were your own agent. He was just the sort of like nominal.
Speaker 2: He was like, you know, the guy on Charlie's Angels. So I did that and I photocopied all my scripts and this is back you know, this is I'm like nineteen ninety two when you could do this.
Speaker 1: I would just pull up to.
Speaker 2: The Warner Brothers lot, for example, and say, yeah, I'm the messenger from the Doug Vivannie agency. I have some scripts I need to drop off. And I just hit every sitcom office in LA and there was like thirty of them at the time, and I addressed, you know, here's my scripts to the showrunner from an agent. And now at least my scripts are in the building where theoretically, if lightning struck, I could at least have a shot. And I don't know, about a week or so into it, I got to there's a phone message on the Doug Viviani voicemail line, and it's a woman said, yeah, Hi, my name is Winnifred Hervey Stalworth on the executive producer of Fresh Prince of bel Air. I read Terry Winter's stuff, interested in having him in maybe to pitch, So I said, oh my god. So I called Doug in New York and it was a Friday. He was gone for the weekend. I was like, shit, I gotta wait till Monday now. And I was like, you know what, Doug doesn't really know anything about being an agent. I'll just be Doug. And I called her back.
Speaker 1: And I said, yeah, so Donald Trump of you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, John Baron calling, so yeah, And I have no idea what agents did or said. The only agent I ever saw was Rubin Kincaid on The Partridge Family, and he didn't seem to do much. But I figured, you know, let me just I'm just gonna wing it. And she said, yeah, yeah, we read his stuff. He's really, you know, talented. So kid's amazing. So does he have like one more teenage oriented script, because you know, Fresh Prince is kind of a teenage show. I said, yeah, he just finished an incredible episode of The Wonder Years, but I don't have a copy of it. I won't have it until so I'm trying to calculate in my head how long is it going to take it? Right? One day episode?
Speaker 1: So it was Friday.
Speaker 2: I can get it to you too, mon late Tuesday afternoon. If that were yeah, fine, great. So hung up the phone and cranked out a wonder Year's episode, went in, gave it in. Now he's the messenger of the lawyer. It was everybody, and they had me in the pitch an idea and that was that became my foot in the door. I sold him on an idea that ultimately never went anywhere. But that was my first shot. And a little after I got into a thing called the Warner Brothers Sitcom Writers' Workshop. They used to do but they would take fifteen people from a pool of hundreds around the country and then put you through a program. At the end of it, they called me in. They said, we have an interesting situation. We have a show we think you'd be great for. It's not a sitcom, and this isn't a reflection of your sitcom writing. It's a drama that has comedy in it. And I said, well, why me? And they said, well, it's about a blue collar guy who's a lawyer who works for a big, stuffy law firm. Do you think you could do that? And I was like, if I don't get this fucking job, I said yes, basically my life story. So yeah, And that was my actual first staff job. It was a show called The Great Defender with Michael Rispoli, Peter Krauss, Richard Kylee who's Mane la Mancha, and thank god that I've been working ever since that show.
Speaker 1: Wow, incredible, incredible story. There's a thread here which is Grit and Moxie and I sort of never seeing an obstacle as an obstacle, but yeah, but it's just something to work around.
Speaker 2: And yeah, especially with this, I was not taken no for an answer.
Speaker 1: So where do you Where do you think that came from? Growing up?
Speaker 3: Like, were you a scrappy kid in Brooklyn?
Speaker 1: To do I mean, yeah, I mean I grew up.
Speaker 2: When I was thirteen, I started working for a butcher shop that was owned by Paul Castellano, who's the head of the Gambino family. When I was sixteen, I worked in an illegal card game run out of a synagogue in our neighborhood that was run by a guy named Roy Demeyo who's the subject of a book called Murder Machine.
Speaker 1: He and his.
Speaker 2: Crew in the early eighties killed more people than the Iraqi Army at the time, I think was the statistic. He had a bar in my neighborhood, so by asthmosis, I just kind of knew those guys. I also just became fascinated with crime and criminals. Actually, somebody asked me this, like, what was the first thing, and it sounds quaint now, but.
Speaker 3: It was the movie Oliver.
Speaker 2: I loved the idea of being part of that gang of pickpockets that was like so big. I want to be the I wanted to be the R Dodger. That looks so cool to me. And right around that time, I read Abby Hoffman had this book called Steal this book course Yeah, which was my bible, and it was the first time of like, oh, wow, you can scam shit. And then the Sting came out and I was like, oh my god, I'm using your brain to psyche people out and get what you want. And I just became fascinated with the idea of using psychology or human nature to sort of, you know, get my way through the world. And I just sort of, yeah, became that guy and that kid you know who was always, even to this day, my initial instinct if I'm presented with a problem, I always think of, what's the way to scam my way through this? And I go, yeah, you can just pay it, you can just pay the bill. You don't need to do right right right, But that's right where I go, what lie do I tell to get? And I go, you know that's you from when you're fifteen years old. But wow, it was all ingrained.
Speaker 1: Well that's a pretty good transition point for us because you had a kind of bosure to that criminal element in Brooklyn. Is that what made you such a perfect candidate for one of your biggest staff jobs at the Sopranos there?
Speaker 2: I think, so yeah. When I when I saw that pilot, my agent at the time sent it to me, and you know, like most people, I thought, opera, what is this? And I don't even think I finished watching it, and I was like trembling. I was like, I know these guys. I know these people. I know how they talking to her. They think I called him up. I said, you got to get me on this show.
Speaker 3: So the real life mob life was not for you.
Speaker 1: It was not something that that even attracted you from a sort of like romantic or exotic sense, which I think is draws a lot of people into that space. But the fictional mob space was right where you felt at home, and.
Speaker 2: That yeah, that I love. I love that stuff, and.
Speaker 1: It's like all the fun of the mafia with none of the danger.
Speaker 2: It's like, I say, why people ride roller coasters. It's like you feel like you're about to die, but you're.
Speaker 1: Not going to die. How exhilarating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so writing about it, you know, was much preferable for me.
Speaker 1: All Right, I could go on for hours. I love hearing about your career and all the machinations and steps you took. It's my favorite thing is just learning about how people got where they wanted to be. And you have an incredible story. But let's turn the page and get into kind of where you and I actually have this interesting overlap, which is in our shared fascination with the Prohibition era. I think most people assume they know what prohibition is. Liquor was made illegal. It was a big mistake. There was a bunch of mobsters and Tommy guns, and then it got repealed. You made this incredible show boardwalk empire. What drew you to prohibition in the first place? I mean, I could make an obvious leap from the Sopranos to Prohibition era gangsters being the overlap, But was there anything about that era in particular that felt so so ripe for storytelling?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean I was given a book by HBO called Bordwalk Empire about the history of Atlantic City, and they said, maybe there's a TV series in here. Okay, the history of Atlantic City. That sounds great. But on the way out to Doortsy Martin Scorsese is attached to that book, and I was like, oh, okay, well that's a different story. I will find the TV series in here.
Speaker 1: You're right.
Speaker 2: So you started reading and there was a chapter about this guy named Nukie Johnson, who I later fictionalized as Nuckie Thompson. But Nuckie was the corrupt treasurer of Atlantic City during the Prohibition era, where you know, you have a corrupt politician in charge of a city on the eastern sea board where all the alcohol comes through, and suddenly overnight he was friends with Lucky Luciano and Arld Rostein and Al Capone and everybody else. I went, this is the series. He's this guy this era, And I was like, I love the twenties. You know, that snappy, fast talk in nineteen twenties stuff. I've always been fascinated with that kind of dialogue the era.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: What was also interesting to me too, is that even though it's one hundred years ago, it still felt modern. People dressed in suits, they went out to restaurants, they talked on the telephone, they drove in cars. You know, it's still felt cool. It still felt like accessible. It wasn't like ten years earlier, would it felt like you know, down n abby. But this was modern people. You know, you could wear some of those clothes today. And I said, wow, this is such a great setup and it's really not really been explored in TV or film. So when I went to meet we'll call him Marty because I know him, and I know it sounds douchey, but.
Speaker 1: That's his name.
Speaker 2: I meant to be Marty when I went to be mister Scarsese, and believe me, that's what I called him initially that he was like, oh, this is great. I've never done anything in this era before. So once he gave me the blessing, you know, we were off to the races. And then you know, the real work started.
Speaker 1: They had to.
Speaker 2: You know, we had a protagonist who was like fifty years old in nineteen twenty, so I was like, okay, so he was born in eighteen seventy, so what books did he read what was his pop culture references? What was happening in nineteen twenty, there's the war, World War One just ended, he had all these guys coming home, women just got the right to vote. Prohibition itself, what were the movies? So it was like a ton of research. You know, Also, how did people actually talk? I'm sure they didn't. Altwaite say twenty three sched do every five minutes, dude. The Charleston was like every time you ever see anything in the twenties, everybody's doing the fucking Charleston. I was like, did think any other songs written between nineteen twenty and nineteen thirty? And it's funny. I mean I wanted to do a thing where, you know, it was like that Nucky at some point says if I hear the Charleston when we're talking to kill somebody. And it actually didn't come out to nineteen twenty four anyway, so we didn't even touch on it until way late. But yeah, it was just sort of once I started doing the research, it was just fascinating, not just all the other stuff, but the Prohibition stuff itself was so eye opening in terms of the hit history of how it even came to be. And then what a disaster it became. You know, the single biggest thing that made criminals millionaires overnight. And it was like outlawing turkey sandwiches. Most people didn't give it them, like, wait what, I've been drinking beer my whole life. Now I can't do it. Fuck you, I'm gonna keep doing this. And just so many failed consequences of that law.
Speaker 1: It is truly a wild moment in American history. The sort of moral panic on one hand, and then there's the anti German sentiment kind of like flaring up, and then that gives the teetotalers ammunition to go after the brewers. Ye to go after all these Germans.
Speaker 2: Was a perfect storm. I mean, yeah, you're at you're at war with Germany, and now suddenly you know, Coleslaw is liberty cabbage and Hamburger's or liberty sandwiches. And I mean, I think half the brewers got shut down. And I got where it came from. You know, there were it was. Alcoholism was devastating.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: The cliche is the data you know got paid on Friday and then you didn't see him and spent all his money at the bar, and you know and your family went destined to this is been days before social programs or even before AA was a thing, I guess, So there was a real it was.
Speaker 1: A real problem. So Nukie Thompson is a character that that was played by Steve Buscemi. How close to the real Nukie Johnson was he?
Speaker 2: Not at all?
Speaker 1: Not?
Speaker 2: I mean, if we were to cast the real we were to somebody who looked like Nukie Johnson, Jim Gandlofini would have actually been perfect. Knuckie was a big, burly, bald headed guy.
Speaker 1: So I feel like Steve Buscemi's casting was such a stroke of genius for Boardwalk Empire because it is against type and in a way that you know, can this guy who's who's sort of a slight build, not an intimidating presence, and whose face to me just has a sort of kind of warmth and sadness and a sort of tenderness, can this guy carry a mob show? Tell me a little bit about why Steve Buscemi was so perfect for Boardwalk Empire.
Speaker 2: You know, it started with with Marty. You know, we said, all right, who are you going to get to do this? And you know, I said well, this is what the real guy looked like. And Marty said, no one's ever heard of this guy. Which is also funny because when I went down to do my research in Atlantic City, the real Nucky between like nineteen ten and nineteen thirty was hands down the most powerful guy in Atlantic City. Everybody knew him. Nothing moved without Knuckie. And when I went down initially and talked to old timers, and people say, ever you hear Nuckie Johnson, No, never heard him, never heard him. After the show, Oh yeah, Nukie, I have uncle.
Speaker 1: Worker I was.
Speaker 2: Suddenly everybody knew who he was, but nobody knew who this guy was. So Marty's you know, very you know, correctly said it doesn't matter. We can cast anybody. And then he just said, well who, let's let's just name actors we like and hell yeah, at helm a help came out available, not available, and I said, well, Steve is Semmy. I always love Steve, and he goes, oh, I love Steve Semmi, and we rattled off a couple of other names and then he's like, all right, whatever, And a couple of days later Marty called me up, but he said, I can't stop thinking about Steve for this and I said, t me too. I said't that crazy? He says, yeah, yeah. And it's funny. Even Steve. When I called him, he knew he was in the running. And when I called him to tell him he got the role, I said, Steve, you know, we're really excited we want to offer you this role. And he said, hey, look, you know, he's really just an honor to be considered. And I said, Steve, no, we're giving you the role. And he's like what, he goes, I've been preparing myself for two weeks to not get this. I didn't even hear you. I didn't even let that register. I said, yeah, no, you got it. We're doing this, and he's like, holy shit. And then of course, you know, he went on. You know, I think he won the Screen Actors Guild a couple of times in a row, and Emmy nominations, and you know, people just loved it. He totally sold it and pulled it off. Obviously he's Steve SEMMI.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he is. I would imagine, you know, your collaboration as a showrunner with the wardrobe department and the production design department and the props department was so fun on a project like this and so cool. And then of course your music team both the score and you know, your needle drops and throughout the episodes. What are some things that stood out to you that in that research process that were either surprising or especially exciting or fun to think about and write about. And were there things that came up in so much and that process that inspired moments in the show.
Speaker 2: Like loved like the all the wardrobe stuff, the hair stuff. One of the things I loved was a little detail that in somewhere in nineteen sixteen, the Gillette Company invented the safety raiser. Up until that point, men shaved themselves with a straight raizer, so facial hair was a big thing. A lot of guys had beards and mutton chops and all these crazy everybody had facial hair up until nineteen seventeen. Suddenly that was the the safety razor came out. So young people started looking at facial hair as oh, yeah, that's your dad, that's your grandfa. So we somewhere around season two, I would start seeing young people with mustaches in the crowd of extras or on the show, and I mentioned it to our hair person. A few times, and I mentioned it to our extras casting person. I said, do not send me any young men with facial hair. It kept popping up and it started to driving me crazy. So I actually got the yearbook from Princeton University of nineteen twenty two, and I went into the hair department and I said, find me one man in this book with facial hair. And there was not one college student that had a mustache or a beard in nineteen twenty two. I said, that's the level of accuracy we need to have here, and they did. I had the A plus team of every department head, hair, makeup, wardrobe, music, cross the show production, production design, and just crazy details, you know, like wardrobe is, like, you know, it drives me crazy. If you see a show set in nineteen twenty everybody's dressed like it's nineteen twenty. You know. I don't know about you, but you know I have guest genes from the nineties, probably that I still will have. Actually, my wife has called me on shit like that a couple of times, like you've got to you know, you gotta get rid of it. So not everybody dresses like it's twenty twenty four. Most people don't, you know, if you're really hip, and maybe you're in New York or LA maybe you do, but you sure don't. And if you're a working class guy in Atlantic City, you dress like it's eighteen ninety three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, so I needed, we.
Speaker 2: Needed a smattering of that, and everybody took such pride in it too. I remember even once a big debate about a chain link fence. You know, I didn't even bring it up, or a production designer he said, you know, we had a chain link fence somewhere, And he said, before you say anything, yes, they had chain link fences in nineteen twenty. They're invented in nineteen oh five. Take it easy, he goes. I didn't know myself and I had to check this out, but yeah, they had chain link fences back then. So yeah, like stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Ah. I love that, And it just informs all the the actors on the set. It gives them all these these kind of anchors and reference points to latch onto. So most prohibition crime stories center around the male bootleggers, but Boardwalk features a lot of extremely unique and morally gray and enterprising female characters. Margaret Thompson, Jillian Darmody being a couple of standouts. What was the inspiration for those incredible characters.
Speaker 2: In the book Boardwalk Empire, Nelson Johnson fictionalized the meeting between the real Nucky and a woman from the neighborhood who came to ask to get her husband a job. And he said, this is a kind of thing Nucky would do. Like, you know, people worked in the hotel business in the summer months, it was great, but during the winter people were out of work, and if your husband you drank and didn't have money, you know, you were going without food. So he talked about a little fictional encounter between neighborhood woman Nucky and Nucky would give her fifty dollars to tight her over for the month whatever. And I says, that's interesting, that's an interesting relationship. I wonder who that is. Who is that woman? And then I, you know, I just took it from there, like, Okay, what if he's interested romantically and what if her husband is a creep and he beats her up and Knucky gets rid of him, and where does that go? So that became Margaret Jillian dormity just came. You know, I knew Jimmy Darmidy was coming home from World War One. And this was again, you know, one of those happy or not happy accidents of prohibition. World War One ended and you had a lot of disenfranchised soldiers coming home after horrific experiences overseas. And I think most Americas even to this day have no idea how incredibly brutal World War One was. Trench warfare and just absolutely just horrific. Guys living up to their up to their waists in filth and rat infested water and you know, just shooting at each other and for no they didn't even know why they were there, but it was really horrible. So a lot of these came home. Chemical warfare, oh chemical, yeah, absolutely, and you know, and a lot of guys came home and our character on the show, Richard Harrow, who was the guy with the half face and the mask, you know, played by Jack Houston, that was the first time that you know, battlefield medicine got to the point where you could keep people alive and well. Because it was trench warfare, there were so many then inordinate amount of facial injuries. Guys would poke their heads up from a trench and boom, get half of their face blown off. Normally, you know, twenty years earlier, you're dead. But now battlefield medicine got to the point where you could keep those people alive. So those guys are coming home alive. So some thousands of guys are coming home with facial injuries literally like half the face blown off or your job blown off. And then they had to get into society. So there was an artist in New England, a woman who was a sculptor, who thought, I wonder if I could do like a half mask to mash their face so these guys could at least go out in public and go out at night and just got And that's where that character came from. But again it was just these little details in the research.
Speaker 1: There's another formidable female character in Boardwalk Empire, Assistant Attorney General Esther Randolph, who attempts to prosecute Nukie. Now she's presumably based on the real world Mabel Walker Little Bread. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who fascinating character.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we talk a lot about her in SNAPHU.
Speaker 1: I'm just curious kind of what your research brought to light, what excited you about her as a character. She's such a mess of contradictions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, the one thing I loved is that when provision end that she went to work for a wine companys, like and even like she wasn't averse to having a drink herself, but it's like once she became like, Okay, you know I'm doing this, she was really staunchly trying to enforce those Oh and of course her bosses were just unbelievably corrupt Harry Doherty, Warren Harding, That whole administration was just like you know, and that's another thing that just surprised me about the era. You know, again, it's you know, the idea of corrupt politicians. These guys were selling shit right out of the White House. I mean you literally, you know, there were bootleggers who were showing up at the Capitol with suitcases full of stuff selling it, you know, selling their stuff to Congress people, and like you could buy anything you wanted from Harry Dherty and his guy Jess Smith, and just another fascinating relationship.
Speaker 1: And George Cassidy is a character that is a real life bootlegger who actually had an office in the Capitol building where he was distributing liquors to congress people. Right, that's very similar to your character. Gaston means in boardwalking Empire, who was kind of a supplier to high level folks, right, Yeah, and a real guy. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean the more we would research this, the more incredible it became. You know, another detail too, Al Capolin's brother, one of his brothers was moved out to the west and became a sheriff and he was like a cowboy sheriff who would do rest bootleggers. Yeah, and we like we got to get this on the show, and we could never work it in. But it's like just these little odds and ends. You's like, holy shit, this actually was real.
Speaker 1: It's so cool to hear you touch on these things that that we also dig into in SNAFU and some of these these strange and more obscure connections.
Speaker 2: Or George Ramis too, another one, like one of the craziest stories here, like an incredibly successful defense attorney becomes like the biggest bootlegger ever and then loses everything, goes to jail, and then his wife completely steals all his money with in conjunction with a federal agent who she has an affair with, and then he gets out of jail and then murders her and then is found not guilty by reason of insanity. He represented himself and with a temporary insanity play, and it's like if I made that up, you've got like come on, and this absolutely all happened.
Speaker 1: And will le Brandt prosecuted him, and he's part of of what led to the federal government taxing illegal liquor, right, which is just another insane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, why would you think you would have to do that? But yeah, I mean, I guess it's the same principle now, like you go, okay, well, I don't care how you earned your money, even if it's illegal, you have to still have debate taxes on it. And that's I guess how they get you know, they get al capone, you know, for tax evasions. Like I know you said you were furniture salesmen, but you've got a million dollars here, So okay.
Speaker 1: I just was going to kind of bring it back to this this overarching theme throughout that era of hypocrisy. Sometimes it's kind of buried, and sometimes it's just outrageous and flagrant, Like we discussed George Cassidy and these bootleggers supplying the lawmakers who are passing the laws of prohibition with alcohol. I'm curious if you're if you hit on in your research, are you familiar with formula six?
Speaker 2: I am not.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So one of the things we get into in this season of Snaffoo is this really staggering realization that for a long time the government was putting additives into industrial alcohol to prevent people from drinking it. And these were things that made industrial alcohol. This process was called denaturing, right, and it made alcohol incredibly yucky to imbibe, but it also made people a bit sick, just enough to keep people from drinking it. And that was going on for decades before Prohibition. Industrial alcohol had a lot of uses obviously. Then during Prohibition, Formula six emerges, and in order to try to dissuade people from drinking alcohol, they start adding real poison to alcohol in levels to kill people. We get into the really remarkable story of the New York City Medical Examiner's Office Charles Norris and Alexander Getler, who kind of pieced this together by examining the corpses of a lot of people dying and sort of and starting to see patterns of different chemicals and poisonings and also at the same time revolutionizing chemistry in the service of toxicology and medical examination as a practice. These were relatively new at the time, and Alexander Getler is credited with really kind of inventing a lot of processes to figure out what chemicals were in dead bodies or in human tissue.
Speaker 3: Anyway, it's just wild what they start have to assume.
Speaker 2: Formulas two through five were very decreased.
Speaker 1: I guess how.
Speaker 3: Bad is this going to be?
Speaker 2: Like, why the formula four is like diarrhea. We got to really get like, you know, you know, blisters.
Speaker 1: Now, let's five naxi out for like a week, Yeah, exactly, Formula six, you're not drinking anymore.
Speaker 2: So, you know, I was very aware of the fact that bootleggers would incorporate sometimes got to we where they mixed turpentine, they'd mix wood alcohol, you know, all of which you know, into their shitty you know, you know, home manufacturer stuff, and that was killing people, making people blind. Sure, there was a rash of people who went blind. I think it was in New York City, like eighteen people over the course of a weekend who all drank the same boot like alcohol. I'm wondering now if if was that some of the stuff that the government was actually now sneaking into the criminal Like how would people getting government poisoned liquor.
Speaker 1: There was a drink called derail because it was an alcohol that was used in the industrial railroad industry, and it was and it was making people terribly sick. That was basically bootleggers just using industrial alcohol to enhance their product. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, formaldehyde too is of course, actually did that on the show, actually showing me somebody using it and anything. And it's interesting too, like this is the people don't realize. Like the advent of the mixed drink came because of ProBiS because the bootleg alcohol was so vile they had to start mixing it with fruit juices and stuff. So all the stuff that we know today, you know, up until prohibition, it was you know, straight whiskey beer. You know, it was just straight alcohol, wasn't you know, and you do you just drank it to get drunk quickly, I guess, I don't know, there's a lot of sipping going on, but it was, you know, suddenly all the drinks that you hear about today, you know, are you know, come from the need to make this stuff palatable. And you know what killed me too. Is I love the details the lengths bootleggers would go to in terms of creating false labels, getting the bottle, filling it up with alcohol too. There was one which the detail that blew my mind that they would create a whole false creative alcohol, put them in fishing nets, like a bunch of them, and then take the fishing nets and dunk it in the water, leave it in seawater for a couple of hours and come out. You know, you dump this big fishing net full of crates that say Johnny Walker or whatever it was, and there's still seaweed on it, and you go, nobody would ever think you fake this. But the lengths they would go to to make stuff that was fake look real. You go wow. I mean then that appealed to the con man in me. You go, wow, what a brilliant little touchdown. You still smell the salt water. It's obviously came out off a boat in the ocean. Yeah, like, no, that's made in some guy's garage.
Speaker 1: That's no different than you calling up Paramount pretending to be agent.
Speaker 3: Not at all.
Speaker 2: But yeah, he's like, wow, that's that's you know, and that's I think what people don't realize that criminals twenty four hours a day is people thinking about how to do this shit. You know, it's pretty pretty incredible. And even though the hypocrisy too, and thinking like as you were talking, you know, the whole the Catholic Church, you know, sacrificial wine. Sure suddenly they had unbelievable demand for a sacrificial wine. And the Jewish Church or suddenly you know, everybody was a rabbi that because there was an ursion like you could do it for religious things or adopters. How many doctors were writing prescriptions yeah, yeah, order selling it out your back door. And how many you know, neighborhood people had stills in their kitchen. You know, you could make you know, extra money by you know, you'd have guys like entire tenement buildings. Everybody had a little still and you know you can make an extra twenty bucks a week in nineteen twenty, that was a fortune. That was your grocery money, I'm assuming or more. And you know local gangsters just come around to pick everything up and sell it. And this went on for years and again, you know, all unintended consequences of this and again back to me, back to what the point I made before about this making millionaires out of criminals overnight. This is how organized crime infiltrated legitimate business. They needed a place to put all that money. It's like, great, let's buy trucking companies, which they initially did to transport all of this stuff. Then it was like, you know, let's buy warehousless by real estate, let's get into other things. And this, over that twelve year period enabled them to infiltrate every other area of American life.
Speaker 1: And it's almost like the scale of the stupidity of prohibitions as a law is commensurate with the scale of how how much organized crime then penetrated American society. In other words, the fallout of prohibition is commensurate with the stupidity of it.
Speaker 2: And absolutely, yeah, I mean, up until prohibition, most organized crime was you know, gambling, prostitution, extortion, things of that nature that were I guess lucrative, but not This was just a windfall that they couldn't have even possibly predicted. And I mean, I guess I'm certainly not the first part to make the observation that the drug business today is exactly the same thing.
Speaker 1: Well, I can't help thinking that there is a really cool prequel to Boardwalk Empire in the story of the New York City medical examiners who uncovered Yeah, some of this insane, you know, because they're they're right at the interface of law and crime, basically right because they're examining. The corner's job was just to rubber stamp all of the police misconduct. And you know, the police were just you know, they kill somebody that they didn't like, or because they were in some crime lord's pocket. This was a suicide, even though he's got like six gun shots in the back of his head. But then Charles Norris came in really turned things around, and Alexander Getler turned out to be quite a genius of chemistry and put it to good use. It is an incredible story. We're recording this interview before season three of Snapho actually comes out, so I really can't wait for you to hear it.
Speaker 2: No, I mean, there's so many details you were up I hadn't heard of, and it's it's again, it's just endlessly fascinating.
Speaker 1: Well, Terrence Winter, this has been an absolutely delightful, very enlightening conversation.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for jumping on Absolutely My pleasure is so fun to do. I can't wait to hear Season three.
Speaker 1: Awesome.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, Thanks so much, Ed. Take Care.
Speaker 1: SNAFU is a production of iHeartRadio, Film Nation Entertainment, and Pacific Electric Picture Company in association with Gilded Audio. It's executive produced by me Ed Helms, Milan Papelka, Mike Falbo, Whitney Donaldson, and Dylan Fagan. Our lead producers are Carl Nellis and Alyssa Martino. Additional production from Stephen Wood, Olivia Canny, and Kelsey Albright. Our story editor is nicky Stein. Our production assistants are Nevin Calla Poly and A kemedy ekpo Facts checking by Charles Richter. Our creative executive is Brett Harris. Our associate producer Tory Smith edited this episode, editing, music and sound design by Ben chug Engineering and technical direction by Nick Dooley Andrew chug Is Gilded Audio's creative director. Our amazing theme music is by Dan Rosatto. Special thanks to Alison Cohen, Daniel Welsh and Ben Riizak.