Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal ll that for me. I'm a man, I'm forty. I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy. You want to be happy for a day? Eat a steak? Is that woo woom? And Dan and Tie.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to these solid verbal boys and Girls. My name is Ty Hill, the brand joining me as always over there in Chicago Land, great summer city.
Speaker 1: Dan Rubinstein, sir, how you doing? Man? It was great yesterday and I actually went out and played tennis and I'm now very sore, and because it's been a busy morning and I was preparing for the show, and you know, we were honing in on the concept like seven minutes ago, I was like, oh, I haven't eaten anything today, and I had an all time sad dad lunch, sad dad lunch, sad dad lunch of two fistfuls of special K. So that's where we are right now. Yeah, so I'm okay.
Speaker 2: Well, welcome back in Boys and Girls. Hopefully you are more nourished than my co host, Dan Rubinstein. I had a lovely salad for lunch. We are recording a little bit earlier than usual today because we wanted to tap into our unbridled energy source here as we talk about the twenty twenty two NFL draft, at least twenty twenty two NFL mock drafts that we found online and were quite amused by, which we'll get into here in just a little bit. Don't forget to follow along with your podcasting app of choice or on social media, whatever you're into, you could find the Solid Verbal also submissions at solidverbal dot com. We have gotten so many really good submissions from people who want to help with the site, be it writing, editing, all sorts of different things. So keep those common submissions at solidverbal dot com. We appreciate one and all sending in their samples and wanted to be part of the movement.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely. We should also mention we have a starting next week, do we not? Are we are we announcing this today? I think so? We already put it up online. Oh okay, go on, I'm listening. Yeah, yeah, So we are starting a mini series. In years past we've done coach months where we've had a few coaches on or scheme themes. We are doing a series we're producing and hosting. I mean, it's sort of an extension of the Solidverbal and it's on this feed starting next week called So now, what about everything that we've forgotten about twenty twenty, the most ridiculous year and recent memory of college football on and off the field, and what it all now means moving forward. So, you know, we're talking about conference power and hierarchy and decision making and off field stuff and player health and safety protocol and how the social world has intertwined with the college football world, and we are quite excited to just with the benefit of time, unpack and figure out what it all might mean moving forward. Does that all make sense? Yeah, we're excited about this.
Speaker 2: Actually, we came up with this idea kind of in the throes of the pandemic towards the end of last season, when it was unclear you'll remember, for a point in time whether or not they were going to finish this thing out. We were recording shows wondering behind the scenes.
Speaker 1: They even gonna finish this season out? Where is this thing heading?
Speaker 2: We came up with this idea. We're excited about it. First installment of that is going to drop next week. So stay tuned to your podcasting app of choice, to our RSS feed, and of course to all of our social channels for more information about what's to come. But y gonna step away from the normal silliness of the off season here. By the way, if you go on out to verballers dot com the Patreon, you can find the official announce video. We are going to be posting some bonus content from this mini series out there at for ballers dot com, so go and check it out.
Speaker 1: I should also add, just in terms of news, we have the sc FCS playoffs happening and they're down to what the semi finals, semifinals. First time in nine years that North Dakota State will not be in the semifinals. Did see that? So we have what Sam Houston State taking down, I mean they took down the Bison right twenty four to twenty. It was a good game. Yeah, the number two seed facing off against number three seed JMU James Madison. On either side, We've got South Dakota State, that's what the Jacks yep, No Rabbits, yes, yes, yes yes, and your Delaware blue Heads fighting blue Hens, baby fighting blue Hens who are not seeded. So we've got the one, two, and three and then Delaware looks like it was a crazy game and an upset against Jacksonville State. I'm going to try to watch these. I didn't really watch much of the playoffs, just here and there when I would throw on the ESPN app. But I'm I'm kind of excited for this. Is that okay? Of course, it's okay, Yeah, I should think that happening Saturday are the semis, Yes, the eighth of May and then yeah, so three, four, five, sixteenth will.
Speaker 2: Be the championship game at two pm in the afternoon. A lot of fans, Yeah, a lot of fans are watching this as you might expect. The one other note I'll point out in North Dakota State, though they have been like the eight hundred pound gorilla in this room for many many years running, now, they actually were not one of the top four seeds going into this snow which is important context here. A great win for Sam Houston State twenty four to twenty. Sam Houston was the number two seed headed into that game. Now moves on to face to face off against JMU.
Speaker 1: I will be watching, and I think they're playing in Frisco once again, so goodbye me. Is there anything else going on in the world, Dan, There is one other thing that just jumped out to me, Utah and Wisconsin announced Home and Home in Madison in twenty twenty eight, and when you are fifty two years old Salt Lake City in twenty thirty three, A fifty two year old tie. Thank you. That's great. Yeah, that's all. That's all.
Speaker 2: I thought you wanted to go into a long, exhaustive breakdown of Tyler Buckner's breakout performance in the Notre Dame Spring Game, but we can save that for another show. Is that true, Tyler the Day, Tyler the Creator.
Speaker 1: I'm coining it right now. I'm ready, true freshman, true freshman.
Speaker 2: Look, the part looked very, very promising, maybe as Notre Dame's best quarterback. So your new maleigue Zayira, the new Zaira is upon us.
Speaker 1: Yes, all right, okay, So so as we play our it's not even a game, it's our sort of an early evaluation period.
Speaker 2: Here is what cracks me up about the quote unquote early evaluation period.
Speaker 1: M hm.
Speaker 2: We did this on the last show where we were looking ahead at twenty twenty one mock drafts, and then we said, oh, well, let's click into the future, and then you get to twenty twenty two and twenty twenty three. I was on Walterfootball dot Com.
Speaker 1: They've been doing this forever.
Speaker 2: They've got guys in their twenty twenty four mock draft who aren't even on college teams yet haven'ty decided what team they're going to play for, So this is what they do. They look way out in advance. I'm sure they wouldn't even attest to the accuracy of those very early evaluation periods. But nonetheless, we're looking ahead to twenty twenty two, and we pulled out some names from was it the Bleacher.
Speaker 1: Report mock draft? It was the Bleacher Yes, it was Bleacher yep.
Speaker 2: The twenty twenty two NFL mock draft that Bleacher put out, and we each grab five guys. We're going to break down whether or not this is legit, whether or not it's something we can get behind, whether or not it's something that we feel needs a little bit more research. Where we stand on ten players that are listed prominently as part of this twenty twenty two mock That sound.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, I have no ideas, That's absolutely true. I have no idea about NFL destinations and making sense like, oh, this guy should go to the Browns, He's a perfect fit. I have no idea about any of that, but yeah, it's looking at where we've selected five guys and we want to give further context to their I suppose careers thus far, and then they're twenty twenty one seasons and the position groups they're in, and you know their coaches and what they might need to prove and tough opponents, and just sort of evaluate these players within the context of how they'll be playing in their careers thus far. And I guess what they could do to move up in the mock draft for a lot. I don't know. That's something I probably can't cover with a certain degree of accuracy. But we've selected five and I tried to go across the country and various conferences and such, so you can you can start if you'd like. Well, I want you to start with Spencer Rattler. Okay, let's do it.
Speaker 2: So Spencer Rattler. He is going to be a what red shirt sophomore correct going into the twenty twenty one season starting quarterback for Oklahoma.
Speaker 1: Depends where you look.
Speaker 2: I've seen some of the really early mock drafts who have Spencer Rattler off the board before Sam. How I will do CM, How you can do. Spencer Ratler. Let's talk through a little bit more about Spencer Rattler. He was you know, he waited his turn at Oklahoma, finally got the gig. I thought looked very, very good. The one thing you always hear about Spencer Rattler is, and it's cliche at this point, can make all the throws. This is a kid who has an incredibly live arm. I joke about could really spin it. He can really spin it. If you ever watch him throw, it's effortless, and that's got to be something that NFL guys are just loving drooling at.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, he's the clear arm talent winner of the twenty twenty one crop of quarterbacks, which doesn't look to be that strong and that deep in the way that you know they lived last I mean this year and last year I suppose were. So he has that going for him in terms of draft position. If he's not clearly the number one overall pick, he'll probably be drafted pretty highly just because it seems like a shallow class. Here's the thing with Spencer Rattler. He's following up dudes who led more productive offenses and Jalen Hurts, Kayler Murray and Baker Mayfield, but in terms of pure armability, he is ahead of those dudes, and what he has around him this year is encouraging. Creed Humphrey obviously is gone up front at center, but he has his guards back left tackle. I mean, they have returning guys at tackles, but Janya Morris, the Tennessee transfer who was a big time recruit, he enters into the fold, so they've got guys competing at left tackle. His receivers should be improving studs. I mean Theoez Jaydon Hazelwood flashed in the spring game. Marvin Mims was very promising last year. They lose Charleston Rambo, but they have Wes Welker type and Drake's dooms. I guess that's where we are right now. And I dug into some of the advanced numbers which are not which I don't think tell anywhere near a complete story because there are always going to be variables involved. He was slightly better throwing into zones than he was against man coverage, but I don't at all doubt the strength of his arm to squeeze passes into two spaces, and then his touch was very good. He had some brutal drops if you remember it, key moments last year, and so really in terms of what you want from him is you know, continually flashing, throwing on the run and just looking like he does on his fourth throw and his thirty fourth throw throw. Excuse me late in games. Those late in game moments were really tough early on against Kansas State and Iowa State. And I mean skill wise, I mentioned the receivers. No Ramandre Stevenson, but Eric Gray transfers in Kennedy Brooks set out twenty twenty and he's back and it's the usual suspects. In terms of who you want to see Spencer Rattler popping against, it's at Kansas State Texas on the neutral site in Dallas, TCU. They're at Baylor this year, which I think should be tough. You know, David ran against another year with that defense, Iowa State once again and Oklahoma State should be pretty good on defense this year. And that's bedlam on the road. So Spencer Ratler has every opportunity with who he has returning from a coaching perspective and from a player perspective, and that there's no obvious killer defense on his schedule. Every opportunity to put up absolute cartoon numbers this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and which Oklahoma quarterback over the last couple of years hasn't done that? He will do incredible numbers again this season. Not the biggest guy six to one to two of five, bigger than Kyler Murray, right, but not the biggest quarterback who's presumably going to be in the twenty twenty two class.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: The arm strength is off the charts, He's very mobile, He's got a ton of poison the pocket. Sometimes gets a little yippie with his throws, and sometimes trust the arm a little bit too much, throws into triple coverage. But other than that, that's all stuff that can be corrected. There's a lot to love about this kid was a.
Speaker 1: Fing You remember, we're talking about a twenty twenty quarterback. So in terms of his training in the off season, some aer yeah, some of the workouts of all camp like his, I would imagine we're going to see also, like just improvement across the board on both sides of the ball the sport. I think tackling will be better. I think under fundamental understanding of offenses will be better from quarterbacks and coordinators alike. So I think Spencer Ratler is going to be a big winner of a quote unquote more normal year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, let's go to where we're going for we gotta go to Kyle Hamilton.
Speaker 1: Kyle Hamilton safety No.
Speaker 2: Tre Dame, six', four two, nineteen going to be a true junior fifty one solo. Tackles last year he had sixty three in total per our friends over AT. Pff he hasn't given up a touchdown in five hundred and ninety four covered. Snaps so what you like about, him just from like an unscientific and completely biased, perspective please grant me that. Always he's six,' four he's an. Imposing presence he can do just about anything on defense anywhere you. Need him if he needs to come up and, stick somebody if he needs, to blitz if he needs to cover a tight end or even a, slot receiver even a, zero receiver he can.
Speaker 1: Do it he can.
Speaker 2: Do it he's, also everywhere all. At, once Yeah You're Michelle branch player Of.
Speaker 1: The year he.
Speaker 2: Is everywhere his new, Defensive Coordinator, marcus freeman has made it known that he's not Coming To notre dame to make any. DRASTIC changes i think you're going to see a lot of the same stuff that we've seen over the last couple. Of years, if anything because there is, some turnover especially In The notre, Dame Secondary marcus freeman may lean a little bit More On kyle hamilton to step up to make, that impact to lead the charge from.
Speaker 1: THE back.
Speaker 2: I just don't think we're going to see anything drastic that's going to alter. His output the Schedule For notre dame in twenty twenty one. Is ideal i'm not going to Say That kyle hamilton will have an opportunity against a bunch. Of killers, he won't but he is going to have an opportunity to set things up from the defensive side of. The football he's got some big games against. Top talent right you may not be the best team in, the world but there's. Always Talent wisconsin cincinnati is an. INTERESTING one Usc Certainly sam HALL and Unc on halloween weekend will be an Opportunity For kyle hamilton to showcase what he can do. Out there he's gonna have to be the top safety off, the board may not be the top defensive back off. The board with Guys Like, derek stingley Junior who i'm going to talk about momentarily also in the. Draft Class But KYLE hamilton i think sets up as a surefire top, ten pick barring any kind of injury or anything just going, you know in an. Unforeseen Direction kyle hamilton is about as close to a lock as you're going to get in the defensive backfield coming out of this.
Speaker 1: Next class definitely on the. Tall, side right he's listed at. Six force maybe he's, six' three so i wonder at six, FOUR two twenty i wonder how he's used potentially as a hybrid because you mentioned that you can play in the box and he can. PLAY in coverage i wonder if he's going to start getting looks, at outside Linebacker Perhaps in marcus, FREEMAN'S you know i don't know if he's gonna, put on weight but, in his defense just because you look at safeties who are drafted and generally SUCCEED, in the nfl and it's, a little taller six to four is a little taller than what you're. Used to seeing just because of change of, direction in coverage you like to get guys who are perhaps sixty one sixty. TWO at safety i don't know what those the difference in six' two and, sixty four really means but there seems to be somewhat. Of A proto type so i wonder if he's not that guy who every team actually covets, because he, can play you know he, can rush, the passer, he can you know. Take a tight end he can line up against a Receiver In that almost. Isaiah simmons type role that's that's going to, be fascinating to me just how he's used now in His Final year at notre dame and MOVING. Forward in the nfl.
Speaker 2: I'm excited to see what he does. AT the next level i think he'll be highly coveted because of that ability to break out and not so much be pigeonholed into the normal. Role of a safety he can just DO so much that i think there's a lot of value on, guys like, that nowadays especially nowadays.
Speaker 1: There's a certain, joy By the way and i'm positive you Feel This way about kyle hamilton and have since he became a rotation player almost right. Out of the gate when you root for a team that has a safety who's just more advanced than everybody else on, the field pretty much and you have that confidence that he's going to make tackles, in the open field that he's not going to bite on play action and get completely burned deep and just is that full on leader behind that defense getting. Everybody lined up there there's a certain amount of comfort as a fan knowing that. Dude is back there i've had a Couple, of Those At oregon including javon holland who just got drafted i think early. In The second round so i'm sorry for you that you're not going to have that presence in your life. Probably, after this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know what let me stick with The Defensive Backfield, into derek stingley junior because he's another one listed in this mock draft six' one one ninety. Good size for a cornerback he's been the nation's highest rated. Corner ever since twenty nineteen again PER, our friends over at Pff That's even higher than pat sertan junior Who. Just got picked on thursday so that's the. Caliber we're talking about here playing against top flight talent to showcase what he can do is NEVER An issue, in the sec west schedule is not goun in. Practice against his own teammates he's going to have plenty of opportunity to. Showcase what he Can do his freshman season dan in twenty nineteen was regarded by many as one of the greatest freshman campaigns of all. Time at the cornerback position he was out there a couple games and he had scout scrolling pretty much plug and play wiped out one side of the field the, second he went out there, just knows what he's doing knows has has the awareness to know where, his teammates are around him, to play off their strengths. To play to his, own to my, untrained eye very untrained eye it does not look.
Speaker 1: Like there are too.
Speaker 2: Many holes in his, GAME before doing this show i went back and did a little research to. Read what other, People, thought it turns out nope no one. Can find any holes either he's just about as close to a lock at corner as you're going to. Find coming out of college somebody's going. To take him top five he's easily the. Top corner off the, board he's a shutdown corner and you know they've scouts have felt as much since the moment he stepped.
Speaker 1: OUT there as a freshman i will point out one, glaring flaw of His Game and that is DeVante. Smith turned him into ash he got Beat up really bad by Alabama's Receiving cor and, specifically DeVante smith last year and so that is going to. Be on, film for. Anybody and look everybody did every single human who Has tried to hang. With smith was Completely Torched, but THAT includes derek stingley Who I don't remember what DeVante smith finished, with in the first half but. It wasn't one hundred yards it was over too and Many Of. Those came against derek stingley so in terms of cleaning, up, some of his game, yes whether it's you know not being able to jam, a smaller receiver, like That there are elements but stingley to come onto the scene like. He did as a freshman and granted you Also have to remember with stingley last year was what Hospitalized The night, Before the mississippi state game so he had he had some sort, of was an allergic reaction, don't hold me to that but he had some, sort of, reaction to something was hospitalized and so we don't know how off. He really was last, year not to make excuses but this is the reality of twenty twenty and for him it was that hospitalization. Early ON in the season so i Am Quite excited to, see derek stingley this year especially what we presume to be in a Better defense than what bo. Polini was running last year and just the absolute AWFUL elements Of Watching the Lsu defense, againstssissippi state In Week, one not with derek stingley but just not knowing you you don't Man Up on onder the mike. Leach spread, In Their, raids so yeah derek stingley his, ceiling Is astronomically crazy crazy and.
Speaker 2: I'm i to that point i'm very curious to see how these mock drafts change.
Speaker 1: Over the course. Of time they.
Speaker 2: Always change they always change when you're talking, a full year in. ADVANCE that's just a given i think going into twenty twenty two you're going to see a lot more, change than you would typically just because there's so much from twenty twenty that we don't we don't know. How to project that forward I'm Going to talk about keaton. Slovis In a little bit keaton slovis had very little, action Last year by comparison and i'm just curious to see if the Twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: One version of slovis.
Speaker 2: Moves him up or down and if twenty twenty, gets tossed in a Blender.
Speaker 1: What so continue On keaton slovas. And then i'll take two. We Can snake this.
Speaker 2: Well keaton slovas six to two hundred going, INTO what his JUNIOR year i guess as usc quarterback had a ridiculous true, freshman campaign in TWENTY.
Speaker 1: Nineteen. TOOK over for jt, daniels jtd n expectedly right. Somebody. Was like he's ready nope, it was thrust, into action.
Speaker 2: Thrust into action and it Was A pleasant surprise that Clay Hilton got out of keaton slova is what.
Speaker 1: He got out, OF.
Speaker 2: Him because you're, thinking jt daniels? Goes Down what's this. Mean keaton slova steps in he.
Speaker 1: HAD.
Speaker 2: A great freshman campaign jt Daniels had A Transfer to georgia because keaton slovs was so good. Mainly in, that freshman campaign thirty touchdowns nine interceptions as a true. Freshman was pretty damn good the numbers last. Year were not as good. They were NOT as good and again I come back, To what i just said do we, throw those in a fire do? We throw them out window because IT was such. A goofy pac. TWELVE season i don't know i don't know. What to make of it luckily for, himley of twenty, twenty one they weren't horrible. They just weren't as good so let's see Which direction things go for. SLOVIS in twenty twenty one i think what you like about him is that. He's a really accurate passer he there's a very catchable ball that will bode well, for him at this level at the next level if he desires to go. Pro in twenty twenty two he's got upper class beIN a one the offensive line that are, gonna help keep him upright. And skill talent around him maybe not the same names that, we had a year AGO but skilled talent at. Usc usually not a problem they'll, have guys to throw too. Even though there's some turnover biggest Game On his schedule is notre Dame, on The road late OCTOBER maybe oregon in, the pac twelve title game if. It should come to that but it looks like A. Pretty clean schedule for usc it's not littered with land mines the, way it might be otherwise and so he's going to have an opportunity to go out there to better his numbers from twenty twenty and potentially put himself in the running to be one of the first. Three quarterbacks off the board.
Speaker 1: He has, unbelievable receivers to throw to, EVEN though year over Year i. Mean It's What i'm on, ross saint brown gets drafted, And The year before that Michael Pittman. Was terrific and tyler vaughns, all these. Guys were Very Very strong and now drake london seems to be the unguardable dude who's a receiver kind. Of At tight end size and bruce McCoy if You remember the USC To Texas. Back to usc gary bryant so there's all these dudes that HAVE. Popped out Wide For Usc he loses elijah vera tucker who, was a first round pick but he WASN'T a tackle and nowably I, think inside in the Nfl. He got torched by, oregon and that's To Me the story of keten slovas is he has built up, his numbers against lesser competition and In, THOSE two matchups against oregon i think he's. Throwing, to combine six? Picks yeah? Is? That right that's right yeah and had two. Picks in that shootout win you like to have that IN. A winning effort against ucla so against, some of the Better teams you'd like for slovas. To look His absolute best i'm also I'M not. WILD about the usc offense i think he's really good at playmaking, and going downfield and improvising BUT so much of that usc offense is. Just swing passes and hitches there's like a lot of short STUFF against the zones that i don't think They've Fully, figured out with graham harrell like this is it seems To be more of an. October team than anything Else So you're right that notre dame is probably like that needs to be a matchup that's he's got to Be Able to look off kyle hamilton And Hit. Dudes deep against notre dame. HIS line SHOULD be okay I Just i worry that keden slovas is vaulted this high because IT is that shallow class. I really, want to see you, know it's a great story and If You're just looking at, keden slovas, in a vacuum good. Quarterback good to really good but the performances late In whatever it was in October two years ago AGAINST oregon and then, the Pac twelve championship game and i'll go into the next Guy Who. Terrorized him in cavon thibodeau it's just the offense has to do a better Job of both catering to slovas's abilities. AND to, the receiver's Abilities i mean what would Bruce McCoy Be Doing? For alabama Or Ohio state what would drake london be doing all game? Long for teams Like that so that's, What i'd like to see And. That's not necessarily on slovas that's Just the. Context, of the slovas experience well that's Been the context. Of the HELTON experience, Too Well they I mean sam darnold was i think given. A little bit more freedom they've gone to this like full On. AIR raid that requires slovas i don't know how many times he was throwing the? Ball most? Games last year was it Did? He go over forty yeah, he, went, over forty one two three. Four times in twenty twenty. It's a lot. OF passing it's a lot.
Speaker 2: I saw the comp for him coming Out Of. HIGH school was kirk cousins i.
Speaker 1: DON'T know if that. HOLDS i get THE comparison, i think. THERE'S i mean that's fine i think there's something crazy impressive of somebody who can come in as a true freshman, And succeed like he did like he's been great to. Be part of the story and the.
Speaker 2: Accuracy should not be overlooked he's been a very accurate, passer in a, system that as, you said air raid timing you got to throw the, ball where guys are going, not necessarily where they are.
Speaker 1: But it's an easier system to be accurate within. A. Lot, of quick passes. YEAH yeah so, we'll see.
Speaker 2: I don't know we'll, see what twenty twenty One Twenty, twenty one for keaton slovis you could argue is more important than ANY of the two Guys I just Mentioned In. Kyle hamilton and derek stingley maybe even more so The Case. FOR guys like sam howell. I just twenty twenty one what he does is season is gonna really ultimately tell where.
Speaker 1: He, goes, In the draft. Yeah yeah i'm all. True i'm excited to see i'm definitely excited to see BECAUSE the best of this usc. Offense will, be really strong all? Right WHO do you Got So, I mentioned kave on thibodeau so we're going to go there just because, he now has top one two three ceiling, because as an edge rusher as a position that's valued as much AS. It is in the nfl if YOU are a top flight a, plus edge rusher edge rusher You're going to get that you're going to command and. Get that kind of. ATTENTION he's a fascinating study i mean WE. Mentioned his ability against usc he really popped last year when he was JUST let loose, against the usc offensive line and the. Year before he was Incredible. He was great against utah so he, is somebody that You Know unlike SOMEBODY like keiden Slovas Or i mentioned in spencer rattler earlier on Late In games that keve on thibodeau has popped the loudest when. The lights have been brightest he is next to a bunch of new, starters ON the, defensive line which i think in a Way. WILL be better for oregon i think the guys that were there, before were, sort of BIGGER slower types and now i think he's the next to more Athletic Dudes, and guys like brandon dorles and THERE'S guy popo o move i think. Is how you pronounce it and so these guys are better fit for better they're better fits for this specific Defense that New defensive coordinator. Tim de ruter is running but he does have, his Same DEFENSIVE line coach and deruter i think, is handling outside Linebacker stuff which. Is where thibodeau is moving he has had his hand in the ground, these past couple of years but he is going to be more of a, stand up edge rusher type which. SHOULD find him somebody with i mean he'll, be. HE'LL have more focus right I Think last, year in andy avlos's defense he was lining, up inside a little bit more inside tackles and, like a four eye technique and so he'll. Find himself more single minded he still needs to prove himself, more consistently against the run but actually has been. Really good against the run and you know he's, playing at, like SIX five two fifty so i don't think he's, gonna put on you know four to THREE defensive end. For the nfl, type weight but you know he'll have to prove, him self, in the flat, you know against you know running backs and swing, passes And things like that and i'm sure guys are going to try to pick on him if he isn't that flat and he. Is Dropping back Into coverage but tim de ruter's history with those stand Up Edge Rushers like von miller evin weaver we saw just have tremendous SUCCESS at linebacker for cal i think it's a Really Nice, Sign for, cave on, THIBODEAU and fascinatingly week two i believe we have depending, on where he lines up which side of. The ball He lines Up It's, in columbus at Ohio State and He Has Thayer, MUNFORD and nicholas pettif farrare i think is how you pronounce the right Tackle Starting. Right tackles for ohio state so it's one of those things where when you watch the highlights of these, guys when they get picked you want to see them. Pop against those best teams You want to see AN alabama Player pop against, Lsu or Florida, or whatever and for oregon you want To see him, Popping Against for this here ohio state and They're on The road Against. Washington and Utah and stanford that's where caveon is. Going To make a difference because i'm a little Bit. Worried about offense for Oregon But, if you, have kevon thibodeau you know pressuring quarterbacks and, generating fumbles and changing fields which, he can single handedly do. It's it's a game changer and that's why he'll be picked. Probably in the top, five and is the clear CLEAR best edge rusher That i Have seen at oregon since i've been a fan for, the past whatever it. Is, twenty some, odd years, yeah big Dude, SIX five, two fifty yeah i, mean somewhat of a tweener but playing it that it's a great size for that stand up edge rusher right. Where he HAS the speed, but like i you know there were some clips of him in the spring game this Past weekend going up against oregon's like fourteenth year left tackle AND he was, giving up i don't know eighty five ninety one hundred pounds to the dude and just knocked. Him back, with one hand so crazy explosive and is still. Scarily, Not at his potential.
Speaker 2: Yeah and if you watch any of the draft coverge over, the last couple of days they kept talking about, how HAVING that edge, rusher or i should say how having a lack of edge rushers in this year's half, class could make things interesting, not just in twenty twenty but in twenty twenty one when more teams are. In the market for one so clearly there will be, a market for his, services if not at one.
Speaker 1: Probably, IN the, top three yeah i, mean and just, like whatever well you want Whoever You want To Pick chase Young Or Miles, garrett or von mill, like, he's a gravity dude right you have to pay. SO much, attention to him i Mean We saw it with chase. Young in an unbelievable way He's Bigger. Built than keave, on thibodeau but you know it's it's that it's a rare jewel. To have somebody like that And Just, Like you with kyle hamilton i'm never going to Be the same as an Oregon Fan without Having kve On. THIBODEAU and green. And yellow, I like it.
Speaker 2: All, Right we're we're Right Next let's Stick with ohio state Because Oregon he is playing, ohio State in week two which i'm both.
Speaker 1: Crazy excited and Terrified For, i'm GOING to, Garrett wilson who i know chris o'lave gets a lot of the attention just because he's been doing it For. Longer For The buck eyes but garret wilson at, receiver not a huge dude but was a five star and completely justified that five star rating. Coming out of high school SIX foot one ninety and i think, was technically their most well it depends, on how you define it but he had More yards per, catch than olave. Last year so crazy explosive majority of the time he did, play out of the slot which is scary. Just in terms of versatility he does have a new quarterback and it. Is a position dependent position i'm not terribly worried about WHAT.
Speaker 2: We.
Speaker 1: Assume will be cj, stroud it's a you know he's. The guy Popping right now he and olave, out of a crazy Deep, wide receiver room in columbus and just every box, Is sort of checked right like. He's six foot, one, ninety but you're like well he's got. To win fifty fifty battles he's got to go up and get balls because it's. Not, huge for a receiver oh he. Was a star basketball player oh He's Already, proven it at ohio state and, just so, flashing those elements you know the ability to get Off jams at the line i'm. Not worried at ALL. About, and so if cj stroud we presume is anywhere near Where The past couple of, Ohio State quarterbacks Have Been, ryan day and kevin wilson will find a Number Of ways to get garrett wilson the ball In. Space against Teams like oregon, they're AT indiana this year Which I. Just Never Discount tom allen defense's penn state down obviously, some playmakers from last year and They're. On the road Against michigan but that's a, michigan team with you know new DEFENSIVE minds controlling things which. I Can Get into shortly so garrett wilson is just one OF those fun dudes that I could even see supplanting chris o'lave in terms of draft order because his. Athletic, Ceiling Is crazy.
Speaker 2: High well ohio state has what the top two, Receivers, in, college.
Speaker 1: Football arguably yeah absolutely. BETWEEN wilson and a lave i mean it would. You would be Hard pressed depending on what alabama, Looks Like with You know bryce young and bill O'Brien running things and what they get, out of their receivers there it's very. Difficult to Find A duo we hope justin ross comes Back, at full, STRENGTH for clemson. BUT man i don't know i don't know which duo in the country is competing With, With o' lobby and wilson.
Speaker 2: So he'll have more than enough Opportunity To get his at ohio state, and with a, new quarterback like you said they'll. Be, fine at quarterback ultimately well.
Speaker 1: Because, they're, both gravitational dudes too right you can't just can't or can't. Focus, on one of them Yeah well that should be. That, should be pretty Scary Sorry rest Of The Big? Ten and dan's oregon? Ducks who else you?
Speaker 2: Got?
Speaker 1: YOU and GO again yeah I Mean i Mentioned. THAT ohio state's at michigan I Want, to talk about aiden hutchinson who's a fascinating Player. To Me because so michigan so hutchinson. Breaks his leg last year he had come. On strong in twenty nineteen, But This is you know don brown, defense as we're Talking about and now AS michigan moves on to i think, more of a specific defense a lot, more three four one gapping which is Always Nice for guys like aiden hutchinson who can both get after the. Quarterback And stop the run aiden hutchinson should have. A monster year this year he played more outside Linebacker In the way that. Cavon thibodeau made That transition he's bigger, than thibodeaux. At six six. Two seventy he's. A, LEGACY his dad is actually i. Don't Know if you remember aiden hutchinson was in the news talking about how his DAD was weighing In On covid Stuff And. Kevin WARREN and mile carditis and i always like when players are sort of not, shying away from The Spotlight and that's what. Aiden hutchinson has been doing he needs to keep. Flashing more on the edge and you know has tantalizing size right six six two seventy as a college like. HYBRID end and outside linebacker i think the big thing is going to be how quickly Can the entirety of the Michigan front Pick up, On, it's what, mike McDonald, Okay forget no it's right i'm going to do that for. An Extended Period, of time and mo. Linguist the co, Defensive coordinator it's you know quitti pay has gone and there are guys who have shown in an amazing level of Talent Up, front guys like donovan jeter but they got pushed around Last Year and so healthy, aiden hutchinson, At that size, you know, i've seen him you know mid to, end of the first. Round maybe. Early second rounds it does none, of that matters right now but he Is going to be if michigan is going to get back to where they Were Under. The best of don brown he might be the biggest reason. That it needs to have he's like the anchor essentially at. This point of that. Defense, so A, fascinating player okay, and michigan By the. Way they Have, washington Early They're, at wisconsin at penn State And. They do host ohio state so that's if. He's popping against those teams we're talking top. Fifteen, PICK something like that yeah I Want to.
Speaker 2: Talk about sam hall please samhowse six' One Two twenty five quarterback north carolina thirty eight, touchdowns as a true. Freshman had thirty, last year as. A sophomore he got better his completion percentage jumped seven percent from sixty one percent up to sixty eight percent through for almost as many yards in, twenty twenty as twenty nineteen and, that's with eighty fewer attempts so still a. Very very top level talent probably the. Best quarterback in this.
Speaker 1: Class, it's an interesting, question yeah in my view the.
Speaker 2: Best quarterback in this Class It's either him Or Spencer, rattler.
Speaker 1: Or Apparently tyler buckner. But tyler, Buckner's not eligible.
Speaker 2: Not eligible maybe. They'll grant. Him.
Speaker 1: A waiver we'll see great.
Speaker 2: The offensive line should be fine and. Keep him upright and protected it is pretty much a full reboot at running back and. At the wide receiver spots that. Will be interesting to see to have that kind of. Production walk out the door what can he do with the new cast of characters around him that that may be the only thing he has yet to. Prove at, the, collegiate level everything. Else though it's all there he, can make all the throws he can do all the things that you.
Speaker 1: Need a quarterback to, do.
Speaker 2: MAYBE a little undersize but i think THE prototype for what an nfl quarterback is just from a size perspective that sort of went out.
Speaker 1: The window a, while Ago, good.
Speaker 2: Acc schedule no clemson. Which is nice for him he does Have A road tilt against virginia tech. To open Up The, year he's Got, Florida state He's Got. Miami he's got notre dame so he'll have an opportunity to prove it again as he has two years running against some of the.
Speaker 1: Better teams on the.
Speaker 2: Schedule The only two things that, I'd point, to, with him first off again with so much, production walking out the door he's going to need to find his groove with. A new crop of players i don't know if that leads. To any drop in production we'll just. Have to wait and See the other thing is i've read that he's got a tendency at to lock onto receivers and. NOT work through his progressions i feel like we hear that about nearly every college quarterback. Going to the next level it's something. They Need, to work on trevor lawrence Honestly is the only guy i've. Never Heard that criticism about. So sam how no different he's going to have an opportunity to make. Himself, Better, in that department otherwise. Dan the numbers are there there's just there's so much. To love about his, game he's got great, feet he moves really well. Sometimes a little, too well, maybe you should you know hang in the pocket a little, longer and set his feet but.
Speaker 1: He just he's so good he. Throws.
Speaker 2: A terrific deep, ball again from my money the top quarterback in the. Class in twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Two i'm NOT so sure i'm as i dug into the numbers a little bit when you told me the guys that you were, looking at the Performance Against granted, AN excellent, notre dame defense i Mean How many points Did Notre dame or did north carolina excuse me score in the second half of A seventeen all, GAME at i get it? I get any zero points he was seventeen of.
Speaker 2: Twenty seven in that game it was not his best game by, any, Stretch of the imagination.
Speaker 1: Right and so we're talking about numbers. Against an acc, defensive slate that is fine but the one true killer they played against zero second half points does not do Much For me. FROM a sam howell perspective i dug against some. Of the advanced numbers too there's not. A particularly. Explosive PASSING offense they're efficient they i think were a top fifteen offense in terms of passes to running backs. Or passes into the backfield so it's. A lot of short, stuff it's crazy explosive passing but, fortieth air yards per pass so you're not seeing as and, this is with experienced receivers maybe not seeing as much downfield. As you would have liked and so that concerns me a little Bit That it's, like a russell, westbrook effect like chasing, rebound like maybe the number the counting totals, aren't fully the full story. Not fully The Full. Story that's great english dan. HE'S obviously very very good i just worry that it's such a quarterback friendly offense and had so much skill around him that we are going to see as clear as day what he's like when he has to. Be, the clear only reason no there's guys that, are going to come in and you know that we're so promising early. Last year, AS rotation. GUYS but man i am i am just Fascinated And so curious about sam howell this year because completing damn near. Seventy, percent of your, passes again he's probably more it's, probably like sixty two percent but he just had so many layups in. Terms of the. PASSING game it's it's fascinating i, keep Saying the same thing but i'd like to see him, go downfield a bit more let me close out my slate Of Five.
Speaker 2: By. Talking About, des, Ridder, please desmond ridder quarterback. Cincinnati six' four two fifteen we were both stunned when we did our pre Draft live stream seven thirty On Thursday night to see that des ridder is so high.
Speaker 1: In some of.
Speaker 2: These twenty, TWENTY two mock drafts in one, i think he was third OVERALL pick first and FOREMOST before i get into. How i feel about that PERSONALLY definitely speaks to where the nfl. Is at as a quarterback league you've got a guy with his, measurables against six' four. Two fifteen can run like the wind there's a lot of. Reason TO be Excited About. THAT player and i like des ridder i liked him demonstrably more than. You last year if memory. Serves yep he's got crazy physical tools any quarterback that's got these kind of physical. Tools deserves To be in this discussion he was cincinnati's leading rusher in terms of yardage in. Terms of touchdowns yewelve touchdowns last year copletion percentage eleven points higher. In twenty twenty than in twenty nineteen he had, a little, bit of. A sophomore slump super coachable very talented the fact that HE got better.
Speaker 1: In a weird year i think.
Speaker 2: Speaks VOLUMES to what he can do so i look forward. To seeing him improve again the season cincinnati. Should have a really good, Team AGAIN what scares me is this, the nfl Is a pass first league and des. Ritter is not a pass. First quarterback he's still a raw. PASSER maybe he'll, go nuts this year i don't know but my guess is that we're going to see him run a, lot of what we saw last year a, lot of what we, saw last year him on the, move him making plays with his feet and that's going to leave the Same questions about his. Passing GAME that i've had all. ALONG so i like a skill set i need. TO see more in the passing department i can't possibly, justify taking.
Speaker 1: Him in the top ten. As some. Of these mock drafts.
Speaker 2: Had it's tough he's a project player maybe you draft him if you've, got another veteran in front of him. IF he can come in and learn i still remain skeptical that his passing GAME.
Speaker 1: IS going to translate to. The nfl i.
Speaker 2: Just Don't see it He's certainly. Not lamar jackson. Is different calber altogether so WE'LL see this is the project that I am very interested in, seeing how nfl teams, GRADE him out because as of now I. Don't see it translating to the, nfl it doesn't mean it's not possible it doesn't mean he won't grow by leaps. AND bounds GOING into twenty twenty one i just i need to PUMP the brakes on a guy. THAT i already like a, great deal.
Speaker 1: I do see some similarities not this is not a Direct Comparison to. What the evaluation of justin, herbert was where A Good size, arm he doesn't have justin, Herbert's arm but good size in general desmond matter is, What six' four six Four Two fifteen and The Big knock on, justin herbert wasn't about justin herbert per se but was about didn't, really have true killers out wide at receiver was in a System That didn't fully take advantage of What. Justin HERBERT was able to do at, oregon so i understand from a YOU know the prototype right now in the, nfl as somebody who is athletic at quarterback who Can Buy time Everybody Sees, Like guys like, patrick mahomes And Russell wilson guys like that, even though russell wilson doesn't have the size you're looking for, that next, guy who is such a good crazy athlete who perhaps his stock is not where it should be just because of where he's playing and you. Know The, surrounding cast that he is with and cincinnati, for as strong as they were last year they, didn't have a crazy scary player Out Wide all Due Respect. To WAS it Michael young and. JAYSHAWN jackson so i am i'm exceedingly Curious I say that. A lot, now about desmond ritter to justify i, mean it's not like he started the hype. But this was not, a DOWNFIELD passing team they finished ninety third and i have, it right in here. In passing marginal explosiveness and that is correct. But he completed a lot of shorter stuff, But your precious per past seventy eighth. NATIONALLY so perhaps that's not necessarily on, him A receivers might not be getting separation but i'd like. To see him test a little bit more i'd like to see that they went three and out as an. Offense a little bit too often for me and this year with We'll See. What happens to the defense without, marcus freeman maybe they're involved in more shootouts maybe he's counted. On to go downfield a little. Bit, more but it caught me by surprise similarly just because. HE'S physically that guy and was pretty accurate i, just, in, watching him never thought to. Myself Oh yeah here's a, FIRST round quarterback and I'M, NOT a scout i am not a gm i. Am a dumb dumb most. Of, THE time just took, Me, BY surprise yeah i.
Speaker 2: Think that's fair dan i think that's Fair. And again we're. NOT rooting against Des ritter i'm certainly. Not i like des ridder a great deal i'm excited to see. What he can do in, TWENTY twenty one but.
Speaker 1: It's just it happens i mean almost annually where there's a quarterback that, is in this, This Discussion, Where you're Like really. This guy daniel jones okay that i'm Not This is not a direct Comparison Because desmond rinter, has the opportunity that daniel jones does not which is another year in, college. When we're having this? Conversation just fascinating fascinating who's your last guy we'll stick with impressive size tie pro, transition pro segue with the most, Impressive Size, perhaps of anybody in college football evan neil Who should be the starting left tackle for alabama. At six seven three sixty.
Speaker 2: Six?
Speaker 1: SEVEN sixty what are. You Supposed to do i guess be. Amazing evan neil was and all everything recruits he, was too good to keep off, the field played at guard his freshman. Year, was a starting right tackle last year alabama of course is down key dudes next to Him Who are on that Line and Land In dickerson who won The, rimington and Alex leatherwood. Who won the outland both all american dudes he should be. More moving over to left tackle this. Year is an absolute mountain Of, a guy and the fascinating thing, with alabama my fun WORD of the day fascinating is they've got i think the two. BEST Tackles coming in as blue chip GUYS jc latham is the big name who I Think might slide. To right tackle with Evan Neil going, left AND in terms of evan neil's season and i mean we're talking New Offensive line coach, New offensive coordinator and, doug moron offensive line bill O'Brien offensive Coordinator And. A much more mobile Quarterback Than, mac jones all due respect to mac jones maybe the most. Lethal Lethally efficient quarterback in college football history bryce young is going to make the lives of his offensive line more difficult if he's running around buying, time because he's. Certainly, a much, more athletic athletically gifted quarterback otherwise no surprise the. Passing game should have been A Good, shape the Running Game, even Without najee. Harris it'll be brian robinson. MAYBE jace McClellan they're going to. Be FANTASTIC i have no Doubt About, that and i guess just for EVAN neil it's playing. Left tackle in the sec will be new he will. HAVE to, prove that he, has that combination i mean physically he's there but that combination of being both nimble AND flexible, and both strong and aggressive is i mean right tackle now, kind of seems as, important as. Left tackle, but all the same new position you know you're. Flipping Everything and new coaches and what's expected doug, maron comes in WITH. A ton of experience largely at the nfl but if you remember his What, now appears to be. BETTER tenure At syracuse winning eight games twice, i think, alabama's Offensive Line is in incredible incredible shape and evan neil is just. The next guy in line to be incredible Alabama has the new starting edge, rushers for Miami early on in the SEASON they're At. Florida at a and m lsu at auburn so if he's locking down edge rushers for any, of those teams or all of those teams he's going. To, be a top five, seven.
Speaker 2: Three pigs, well especially at that size at that size if you're talking, about the, AGGRESSION and athleticism at six.
Speaker 1: SEVEN three, sixty i can't stress. IT enough i. MEAN this, guy's the limit i don't know i mean all these guys that are playing tackle. That are Six Six sixty seven sixty eight. They Get Jonathan, ogden comps and that's fine but evan neil even if he, IF he can get down a little BIT i mean he's listed at three six i don't always, do you that three, forty five or. SOMETHING and playing left tackle he's crazy long. I, just, he's just gonna swallow people up. Yeah well and it's the reality of it.
Speaker 2: To come back to what you said before One Thing that you read a, lot about evan. Neil, is given his size he's surprisingly flexible yeah guy can move, and pretty much everybody he's going, up against at least, in the college game is smaller than him. So he's getting leverage on all those guys he's really good with, his hands to keep. Those guys off him and that helps, him against the smaller.
Speaker 1: Guys who are speedy he's.
Speaker 2: Able to just, push him to the side so you know everyone's. Got To get better as, a pass blocker evan neil included in that but he's so far ahead of the game given his size and the fact that he's got. Quickness and agility In ways that others don't so not that alabama needs. To get any better along the offensive line they had a couple, guys Drafted Already over the past few days but evan neil looks. To be the next stud along that line.
Speaker 1: And A big upset that a guy named, evan neil is not A red shirt freshman blue. Chip quarterback for georgia. True double, first name, it was his destiny oh well.
Speaker 2: All right so there you go a quick what ten pack of players that we've BEEN reading about in the twenty twenty two nfl mock.
Speaker 1: Drafts that we have taken a. Look at ten, Piece, nuggets if you will ten. PIECE nuggets yeah, chrispy meaty facts and knowledge i don't?
Speaker 2: Know?
Speaker 1: Should we call this TEN piece nuggets, yeah, We, gotta get that seo in there though ty WE Got to Get like twenty twenty. Two, nfl draft look, ahead ten piece nuggets. OKAY longest show title yeah we've, ever used i. Will, find k very, Confusing VERY extremely Confusing, yeah h all right? So, I got dan anything else for you no i'm going to try to follow up my sad. Dad lunch with an, acceptable dad second Lunch.
Speaker 2: I'll, eat some protein don't forget as dan. Said as we said earlier in the show so now what our new mini series That. We're excited about that drops starting next tuesday you can also go on out to verballers dot com view the announced video and also get access to a.
Speaker 1: Lot of the bonus.
Speaker 2: Stuff that we're going to be Dropping, Here as part of the extended coverage dan we're gonna be doing some live stuff on discord as well, to help support the launch of the miniseries. So we're, EXCITED to take a look back more. IMPORTANTLY i think to take a look forward i don't know how you feel about the state of, the WORLD in the twenty twenty one season but i have felt for a couple months running now that there is. Light, at the end of the proverbial, tunnel no it is not an oncoming train. But it is hopefully some sense of normalcy as, college football fans going into the fall here it'll be exciting to kind of just get back out there and hopefully get.
Speaker 1: Back to normal with respect to college.
Speaker 2: Football we agree With That, guy over There My Good. Friend dan rubinstein form myself tie hilton brand we'll. Talk to you, all in, a few days in the meantime stay solved nice