Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, it's Joshum. For this week's Select, I've chosen our twenty fourteen episode on electricity, and I chose it as a kind of Casey Casum esque special dedication to one of our younger listeners, Charlie Pendergrast, who wrote in with a bunch of good ideas, one of which was electricity. Well, rather than just send him a link and being boring, I thought I'd share it as a select for everybody to enjoy. So if you enjoy this select, you can thank Charlie. Thanks Charlie.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Stuff you Should Know, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: Hey, and welcome to the podcast. I'm Josh Clark. There's Charles w Chuck Bryant. Jerry's over there. Chuck's wearing his last Chance garage hat, which means that all is right with the world. Yeah, you know, if Chuck's not wearing that hat, who knows what's going on?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought a loss of sing yeah once. Yeah, I think I.
Speaker 1: Vaguely remember that dude freaked.
Speaker 2: I was on the with Delta and everything, and I was like, oh, here it is.
Speaker 1: It's on my head your back pocket, like Bruce Springsteen.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: Uh, how you doing great, Chuck, Yes, let's talk about electricity, electricity, electricity. I've had the Talking Heads song in my head, which one electricity? Okay, where all these sees are little dots. I thought you're gonna say once in a lifetime. No, that's what is that called once in a lifetime? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, I've been singing the Schoolhouse Rock electricity song over and over in my head.
Speaker 1: What about the electric company theme song? Mmm, I haven't been singing that, but do you remember it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? That was I was electric Company over Sesame Street even.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I didn't think there had to be like a you know, I didn't know it was like the Stones or the Beatles, you know.
Speaker 2: No, it's uh and the correct answer there's the Who.
Speaker 1: By the way, what do you mean like that?
Speaker 2: Who?
Speaker 1: Is that? Right?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: I mean yeah, I love the Who, But I'm with you. I don't see the need to rank things like that.
Speaker 1: Well, Plus, the electric Company came on after Sesame Street, I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it skewed slightly older.
Speaker 3: I think Sesame Street to me felt like, you know, six seven eight year olds.
Speaker 2: Electric companies were.
Speaker 1: Like eight, nine to ten, twelve, and then even younger than Sesame Street was Pinwheel if I remember correctly, and that was after your time, Okay, Pinwell was pretty cute. It was like little kids, and then Sesame Street was like little kids, and then Electric Company was like cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Romper Room was kind of pre Sesame Street.
Speaker 1: Even so, was that the one with Reggedy Ann and Andy? Mmm?
Speaker 2: I don't remember. I just remember it was very immature. Yeah, it's very childish.
Speaker 1: You think Raggedy Ann and Andy were in that. Well. At any rate, we've angered enough people now, I know. I have an intro for this one.
Speaker 2: Great.
Speaker 1: Okay, you ready, about thirteen point eight billion years ago, a little something called the Big Bang happened and the universe was created, so says you, So this is a lot of people. Yeah, you know, we weren't around. Nobody saw it, but it's been detected and it's strongly suspected by scientists that the universe is thirteen point eight billion years old and that it came from something called the Big Bang, which, by the way, I would love to do an episode on. Yeah, let's do it, okay, and under the auspices of the Big Bang theory, not the TV show, but the actual theory. At that moment, all of the energy in the entire universe was created. Right then, boom bam. Ever, since that point the energy has no more energy has been created and none of that energy has been destroyed. But it changes states, it changes shapes, It can be locked up in different places. It can be transferred from one place to another via some natural ways like convection, conduction, radiation, and like I said, it can be stored in stuff. It can be stored in your body. Right. Fat is potential energy that can be burned and used for energy to carry out work, which is all we're looking to do is work. We use energy to carry out work, whether it's digging a shovel or lighting a light bulb. That's what energy does. It produces work. Right, Okay, we've figured out along the way that we don't have to wait around for radiation or convection or conduction to do its thing to provide energy, because we'd have a lot of waiting to do. We wouldn't be in the computer age right now if it weren't for something called electricity, which is basically how humans have figured out how to harness converting energy from one type of another and then transmitting it very long distance. Yeah, because electricity isn't a primary energy source like the sun or solar radiation, or nuclear energy or even the flow of water kinetic energy. No, it's created, yeah, it's and it's a secondary energy source. It's a carrier, that's right. So electricity carries energy from one point to another. And if you understand that, you understand the very basis of what we're going to talk about today.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Like we've figured out how to generate electricity to carry energy to produce work down the line.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: That's my intra which is usually mechanical energy is what's produced right by a machine.
Speaker 1: Yes, so think about this, like, if you capture mechanical energy like water spinning a turbine, which we'll talk about, yeah, and Niagara Falls, that's not going to do anything to light your light bulb two hundred miles away.
Speaker 2: No, not by itself.
Speaker 1: No, unless you connect the two, you send the work produced the energy captured in Niagara Falls down to your light bulb. And that's what we do using electricity.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's pretty simple. Actually, it seems complicated, but it's not. No, just electrons moving around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's talk about electrons. Man, let's talk about the atom.
Speaker 3: Well, should we talk about the history of this stuff? Yes, let's back in the olden days. In ancient times, there were dudes messing around with energy and static electricity without even knowing what they were doing. Right, they didn't understand it. That doesn't mean that they weren't playing around with.
Speaker 1: It, No, and getting zapped because they're messing with static electricity.
Speaker 3: That's right, which we'll explain all that later to But there was one dude called Dallas of Melitas. He is a philosopher in Greece and in six hundred BC he is thought to have been the first dude to around with electrostatics static electricity by rubbing amber with fur, and he noticed that dust and feathers and things were attracted to it. He didn't know what the heck was going on, but he knew something.
Speaker 1: Was up right, and the amber plays a pretty big role. It's actually amber. The Latin er I'm sorry is it Greek? Greek Greek word for amber is electron with a K.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: That was like.
Speaker 2: The way heavy metal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, but that's so like our Our word electricity is derived from the Greek word for amber. From that first experiment with static electricity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it was actually coined by a dude named William Gilbert. He was an Englishman, a physician, and he was studying sort of the same things with static electricity that Militis was. And he was the first person to say it's electric when he saw these forces at work.
Speaker 1: With an exclamation point and his finger in the air. Yeah, and we should probably we should probably differentiate, like there's a couple of types of electricity. There's static electricity, and then there's current electricity, right, and current electricity is what we are able to generate artificially. Static electricity exists in nature just naturally. Yes, and that was the first experiments carried out. Then there's other types of current electricity like lightning. But at this time when these people are messing with electric or static electricity or saying it's electric for the first time, yeah, the concept electricity was that it was fluid.
Speaker 2: Well, it was fluid. He was on the right track. Something is flowing.
Speaker 3: But they thought it was literally a fluid which they called which.
Speaker 2: In those days was called a humor.
Speaker 3: And he said it leaves what he called then an afflu vivvum effluvium, right, which is atmosphere around it. When you create this rubbing action, it removes that fluid. But it wasn't fluid. They were not dummies back then, but they were just figuring it all out.
Speaker 1: No, they weren't dummies because even Ben Franklin thought it was a fluid. It was the prevailing idea concept of electricity, and Ben Franklin and a couple of his contemporaries, including a guy named Thomas Francois Dalibard, were studying electricity big time, and it was when they really investigated lightning that our understanding of current electricity started to take shape.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the old story of Ben Franklin flying his kite may or may not have happened. There are some people that think that didn't happen now.
Speaker 1: But if he didn't do it, other people did. There were guys who died carrying out that experiment. Yeah, but it was definitely carried out. I don't know if Ben Franklin did or not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's sort of the story that he flew the kite with the key, and some people think it either didn't go down like that or didn't go down with him at all.
Speaker 2: But it's a great story either way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think he at least proposed it the experiment.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he was the first guy to say that electricity has a positive and negative charge and that it flows from positive to negative.
Speaker 2: So he's a smart guy, very smart.
Speaker 1: He's a polymn.
Speaker 3: Then there was another smart dude named Coulomb, Charles Augustin de Coulomb, and he is the one that wrote Coulomb's law. And he said, charges like charges repel, opposite charges attract, and that's kind of like the basis for it all.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And the force of these charges is proportional to their product. So if you multiply the charges, they are going to be very strong or canceled on another out or push one another away.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: He basically said, you can now calculate this right because of my handy dandy little law.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and with a boom, he said boom, not bang. Okay, that came earlier later on.
Speaker 2: A guy named J. J.
Speaker 3: Thompson in eighteen ninety seven said at a science conference, Hey, I found something smaller than the atom. And everyone said, silly, man, atoms are invisible. You can't it even means invisible.
Speaker 2: You liar, And he said no, I promise it's there's something smaller, it's got a negative charge, and I'm going to call it a corpuscle.
Speaker 1: No he didn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is Latin for small bodies. And then I think, I don't know who later said let's change it to electron.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that sounds way cooler.
Speaker 3: But the discovery of the electron was basically the birth of what we know is electricity today. Yeah, the understanding of the electron is what it's all about.
Speaker 1: And would you say, like eighteen ninety seven, yes, So before that time, I guess he didn't understand the electron, but he understood electricity. A guy named Michael Faraday was working on the.
Speaker 2: Case stud Yeah.
Speaker 1: Basically everybody's like Ben frank on electricity hand in hand. Really it's Michael Faraday, who is British, who really came to the foundation for electrifying the world. He just he created the first dynamo, which is a generator which we'll talk about.
Speaker 2: He first electric motor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, he just he got electricity and he explained it to other people very well.
Speaker 3: Can you even fathom how smart these people were to be that in the dark and figuring all this subatomic stuff out.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Back then, hats off, top, Hats off to these guys.
Speaker 2: Last chance garageot off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm back on, Like I have trouble understanding it now, right when it's explained through like Kids for Science website, you know.
Speaker 2: Like inventing this, figuring this stuff out with the first time.
Speaker 1: Right exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And it's a pretty dangerous field to try to figure out blind too, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean more than one scientist got a shock from a Leyden jar. Oh yeah, and you can make those, dud? Did you make those in science class?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can make those.
Speaker 1: Well, it's we should say a leaden jar is a very primitive capacitor to use a metal rod in a jar, a nail that's sunk into like some water, and it can store a charge. I think Ben Franklin's kite experiment attached the kite to or a rod or something to a laden jar to store the charge too, if that happened, right, But again, he did make the proposal. It's whether or not he carried it out as it's question.
Speaker 3: All right, I guess now we can get the atoms finally. Atoms are very tiny and they make up molecules and molecules make up everything you see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, atoms are the building block of matter. That's right, an atam. Remember we're always talking about nature loves homeostasis, Oh man does it? You've got a balance that nature always seeks tries to achieve it. Same with atoms or atoms are no exception. I should say within an atom, you have a nucleus which is made up of protons and neutrons. Protons are positively charged particles, neutrons are neutral. And then orbiting that nucleus making the cool atom symbol are electrons and they're negatively charged. Right, And when you have an equal number of protons to electrons, you have a neutral atom.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's no potential energy there. It's just in balance. And a lot of stuff is like that. A lot of stuff is in balance, some stuff is not well.
Speaker 1: Some stuff falls out of balance easier than other stuff.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, the electrons sometimes they're super tightly bound to the atom and they don't want to leave the house. They want to stick around. Sometimes they're crazy teenagers and the slightest energy and movement makes them jump off from the atom and just say I want to go attach myself to something else.
Speaker 1: We go on rum Springer. Yeah, yeah, and it depends on the material. And those types of material that have either tightly connected or loosely connected atoms either end up conducting electricity very well or don't conduct electricity very well, so they act as either electrical conductors or electrical insulators.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Like, if you pick up a stick off the ground, it's electrons like staying close to home, so it's not going to conduct electricity. If you pick up a metal rod, those electrons are crazy loose and they like to go off and do those things that teenage electrons do, and therefore it does conduct electricity.
Speaker 2: Right very well.
Speaker 1: Under normal circumstances. When you pick up that rod or you pick up that stick, the electrons are staying put no matter what. But we figured out along the way thanks to the work of all of the people, from the Greeks to Faraday, to Ben Franklin to your guy with the core puscle idea. Yeah, JJ, what's his name, Yeah, JJ, core Puzzle, I think Thompson. So thanks to the work of all of these people, we figured out how to knock electrons loose. And it's ingenious and simple, but it's also very complex, and it involves the relationship between magnetism and electricity. So Chuck, yes, we're talking about knocking electrons loose, which is ultimately the basis of producing electricity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like when you were a kid in elementary school, you probably did the little balloon trick where you make static electricity and make the balloon stick to your sweater. All you're doing, you're rubbing that balloon on your sweater, and electrons are jumping from that balloon onto your sweater. And now there are two different charges going on. Because you're overcharged, the balloon is now undercharged, and because opposite it charges a tract it sticks to your sweater, right, And that's static electricity.
Speaker 1: And static you know, you have static and dynamic, and dynamic indicates motion. Static indicates staying still, and they use that to describe this type of electricity because the electrons don't flow, they just sit there and wait for a connection. Like when you touch something that's charged, like a door knob after you've shuffled with your feet in socks over carpet. When you touch that door knob, you're forming that connection, and all of a sudden, the balance is achieved once more, and the electrons flow.
Speaker 2: Like you're literally a conductor of electricity in that moment.
Speaker 1: So with current electricity, those electrons move, they move along a conductive material, say like copper wire or something like that.
Speaker 2: That's a hot one.
Speaker 1: Right. So let's talk about how you produce an electrical current, right, Okay, let's talk about generators and turbines and all that awesome stuff.
Speaker 3: It sounds like you need to generate that electricity with a generator, right.
Speaker 1: I think that's what generators are called. That's why they're called there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's funny just how basic some of these things are. Like you say, a compu tour.
Speaker 1: Right, but but you just you've heard it so many times you take it for granted and this is its meaning, and it's like looking at a word too frequently.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I think a lot of these words are like that, like a generator or a core puzzle or a what's it called when he stop down the electricity, which we'll get to transformer? Yeah, it transforms something. But you say them so much, you're like, what's a transformer do?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: Yeah, anyway, I've been reading too much science for dummies, I think. All right, so generators, well, I guess it all comes down to magnetism.
Speaker 2: Yes, in the case of generators.
Speaker 3: And if you want to listen to two shows Lightning and Magnetism before this one, it might help you understand electricity a little.
Speaker 1: Bit more, all right, So just go listen to those, well to do that right now, wait two hours. So what I think Faraday figured out was that because of this relationship between a magnet and electricity, you can take a magnet and you can move electrons in a say, conductive material. You can knock the electrons loose basically using a magnet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like what happens when you attract a paper clip to a magnet. It's just the transfer of electrons jumping around.
Speaker 1: And you create a flow by flipping the polarity. And you can do this by rotating metal right, Yeah, say like a coiled copper within the two poles of a large magnet. And when you do this, you're reversing polarity all of a sudden, Yeah, and you are knocking the electrons loose in those coils. And the way that you spin the coils very quickly is by hooking the coils to say a shaft. Yeah, we kind of did this backwards. Let's start at the beginning. You want to Okay, let's go to Niagara Falls.
Speaker 2: Okay, back in eighteen ninety five George.
Speaker 1: Westinghouse, who is Nikola Tesla's boss, Which, by the way, if you want to listen to another really good podcast, go listen to that one, Nikola Tesla one.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Remember it was all about the ac DC war between Tesla and Addison. Yeah, good episode, killed shocking animals. Yeah, yeah, it's pretty awful. But in eighteen ninety five, George Westinghouse set up a hydro electric power plant along the Niagara Falls. And what he did was he had a means of taking the movement of water, which is kinetic energy. The water at the top of the falls has potential energy, and then once it falls over, that potential turns to kinetic energy. Well, Westinghouse set up a turbine to catch this movement of water, right, which is actual energy, and have that movement spin a turbine, a propeller or a fan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the same concept as an old gristmill, except it's not creating energy. It's just moving the stones that grind the wheat or corn.
Speaker 1: Right, the gristmill is in this case it's capturing that energy by or it's transferring it, we should say, by converting that kinetic energy from the water into mechanical energy spinning the turbine. The turbine is connected to that shaft I was talking about where we suddenly change course. And at the end of that shaft, which is now spinning thanks to the turbine, thanks to the movement of the water, is some coiled copper and that coiled copper is spinning within those two magnets. Yeah, that's the key, right, And because of that, the electrons are being knocked loose. You have a power line leading from the coiled copper out and all of a sudden you have an electric current.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And if you've ever been to the Hoover Dam or something, you don't have to have a waterfall or a river to make this thing work. That's why they build dams. You stop up the water and then at the base of the dam you have the means to release that water and then it becomes that flowing water.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: And then also for thermal power plants, they use nuclear power to create a nuclear reaction to produce heat, or they burn coal to produce heat, and then they use that heat to heat water, and then they use that water to create steam, and then that steam turns a turbine.
Speaker 3: And these are all just different methods, whether it's solar or steam or nuclear. I almost set it, which is weird because I definitely don't say it that way.
Speaker 1: Well, you were very excited.
Speaker 3: I think I said it enough as a joke that it slips in. But anyway, all those are just means to turn that turbine, right.
Speaker 1: And all it is is you're using that stored energy, yeah, or that kinetic energy like over here to create electricity so that you can transfer it into you work down the line.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: It's so cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And this article we used a few different articles for this one, like we said, including some science for kids websites, which by the way, I highly recommend.
Speaker 1: Okay, if you don't get something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a great place to go. Visit are these kids websites because they break it down like super simply.
Speaker 2: But in our article, it.
Speaker 3: Describes a generator as if it was a water and a pump, which made a lot of sense to me. The generator is the pump, but instead of pushing water through a pipe, it's pushing electrons down a line power line.
Speaker 1: And that whole like using water as an analogy for electricity fits very well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you need something to push it. It's not a self pusher, so you need that force, and that force is voltage, right, Yeah, it's electromotive force.
Speaker 1: It's the same with water, like you have water pressure that forces the water on the line, right, And with electricity you have a force that moves electricity and it's voltage, like you said, measured in volts. Yeah, and the electrical current is measured in amps. And the amps represent the total number of electrons flowing through any one point of a circuit in any every second, and there's a lot of them.
Speaker 3: And if you have voltage and you add that to current, which is amps, you get power, which is watts.
Speaker 1: Right, and I think it's multiplied by it. Oh really, yeah it is.
Speaker 2: Okay. I wasn't even thinking of it as a math formula.
Speaker 1: But it is. It is a math formula. And the reason why it's a math formula is because they're related, Like you can flip flop them, you can adjust them. And that's the whole basis of industrial power transmission that which we'll get to later.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I know it sounds a little confusing with the volts, amps, and watts, but there are different Like if you said, you know that guy was shocked and he had one hundred and twenty volts coursing through his body, that's not true at all, because the vault is the force he's got.
Speaker 2: He's got amps coursing through his body. Yeah, but you'd be a huge geek to point that out to someone.
Speaker 1: Someone said that, And a good rule of thumb is the higher the vaults, the more dangerous the shock. Yeah, which is why in America most outlets and homes are two or one hundred and twenty volts, where if you touch it, you're gonna feel it, but it's probably not going to kill you.
Speaker 3: In the United States it's one twenty. But it's different in other countries.
Speaker 1: Right, which is why like European appliance can't be plugged into an American appliance because.
Speaker 2: You got to get those adapters.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So you were talking about current, which is the number of electrons flowing through a circuit. You have the volts, which is the force or pressure that's pushing them down the line, and then you have those two multiplied by one another to create watts, which is power.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You also there's one there's another factor to electrical currents, and that is resistance.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, we didn't talk about that, so we acted like it was all either an insulator or conductor.
Speaker 1: But you can be a resistor, well, I mean everything, Everything has a certain level of resistance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but if you're an official resistor, that means current moves, it just doesn't move like as fast as it might end metal, right or not.
Speaker 2: At all as in wood.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or glass is another good resistor insulator yeah, and so is rubber. Yes, but even something is like conductive as copper wire has a certain amount of resistance. And again that water flowing analogy comes into place. Like if you pump like some water really really hard, Yes, try to get a lot of water through a very small pipe, it's still not going to come out very high, very fast because you're trying to force too much water through that little pipe. So in the exact same way, a thin wire where you're trying to push a lot of amps through and a lot of volts through, it's going to resist. And when you have resistance in an electrical circuit, you have what you lose some of those electrons that are flowing in the form of heat, which is produced by electrons bumping up against other atoms that aren't sharing their electrons, and that's the result of friction.
Speaker 3: And resistance is measured in ohms ohm. Should we talk about circuits?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Are we there?
Speaker 1: I think so.
Speaker 2: So all this is well and good.
Speaker 3: That's you know, you can supply power and we'll talk about this more in detail to homes from a power plant, but you can also have a little battery supplying that electrical energy to a iPhone, let's say, right, And in that case you need something called a circuit, which is basically just a closed loop that allows the electrons to travel. And in most electronics it's like like you said, like copper wire maybe, and it travels from you know, there's a switch that turns it on and off, which is why a.
Speaker 2: Circuit is called a circuit breaker.
Speaker 3: Like if you break that circuit by turning the switch off, or if the wire like snaps or something, it's gonna no more electrons are going to be flowing.
Speaker 1: Right, because there's and the reason they're not going to be flowing any longer is because the positive pole and the negative pole from that circuit are no longer connected, that's right. Another way to look at voltage is that it is the difference between electrons on one side and electrons on another side of a circuit. And remember we talked about nature always wanting balance. Yeah, electrons flow from negative to positive, right, that's right. And as they flow, the reason they're flowing, the whole reason they're moving at all is because there are not as many electrons on the positive side as there are on the negative side. Yeah, so they want to leave the negative side to go achieve balance on the positive side and ultimately make whatever circuit it's traveling neutral.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You stick something in that circuit and as those electrons are moving from the negative side to the positive side, because again, electricity is just the flow of electrons, yeah, you can convert that movement into productive work. Yeah, mechanical energy, right, And anything you attach onto a circuit to exploit that flow of electrons for work is called the load.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It could be a light bulb or you know whatever. Whatever mechanical energy you're trying to create is your load.
Speaker 1: Right, And there's all sorts of things you can do by attaching a load to a circuit. Like a light bulb. A light bulb basically uses that electricity flow to flow into a resistant filament, very thin wire that purposely resists that flow of electricity, generating heat and in turn heating up to produce light. That's how light bulb works.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You can also recharge batteries which go in and force electrons back into the negative position so that the batteries recharged and those electrons are ready to flow again once you connect the circuit. There's also appliances that use resistors to produce heat, like hair dryer or a toaster. There's all sorts of stuff you can do to connect into the circuit, but it's all the same whether it's a battery or a toaster or a whole house. If you want to look at it that way, it's you're plugging a load onto an electrical circuit and exploiting the flow of electrons.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I kind of misspoke a minute ago when I said it's creating the mechanical energy.
Speaker 2: You need a motor to actually do that.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, if you have an electric drill, that's great that you have electrons flowing, but it's not going to turn anything unless you have that motor, and electric motor is basically just a cylinder stuffed with magnets around the edge. And if you've ever used an electric drill and you fire it up, when you look and see in the vents, you can actually see sparks.
Speaker 1: It's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: It's very cool.
Speaker 1: It's like those little guns you used to get at the circus when you're.
Speaker 2: Yeah, god, I love those.
Speaker 3: So it's packed with those magnets around the edge, and in the middle, you've got your core, which is, you know, like an iron wire and it's wrapped around you know, the coppers wrapped around the edges. So electricity flows to that core, creates magnetism, and then that pushes against the outer cylinder and makes that motor spin around, and then that's where you get your mechanical energy.
Speaker 1: Right, And an electric motor is probably the best example of how you're converting energy from one form to another, yeah, and then reconverting it because an electric motor is basically a generator in reverse. And so you use that mechanical energy the spinning of the turbine down the line and convert it in your electric drill back into mechanical energy to spin the drill and in between, is that flow of electrons that's causing the whole thing, or that's carrying that energy from point A to point B. There's one other thing if you look at a plug that you're plugging an appliance into, because again you're just attaching a load to that flow of electrons and diverting it through your appliance and then it goes back on its merry way. Right. If you look at a plug, sometimes you'll see three prongs, and the third prong, the one on the bottom, seems different from the other ones, that's round, and that is actually a grounding wire.
Speaker 2: Very important, very.
Speaker 1: Very important, because as awesome as we've gotten with producing and directing electricity, we can't control the amount of electrons that flow through an outlet to down to a single electron, and so there's such a thing as leakage of electrons, which is crazy. And there's also electrical build up that can happen where if you're not using all of the amps through an appliance, the residual amps can build up and they charge the appliance. And again, as with static electricity, a charge is just sitting there waiting to be neutralized, sometimes through you, which can make it very dangerous. To prevent this, they have they connect the appliance through either that third prong and a plug or through an actual grounding wire to a copper wire that's driven into the ground. And that's where the word comes from ground actually transferring that residual electric energy to the ground, which is basically an infinite reservoir for a charge dispersal to earth. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So like when you look at a power line and you see that bare wire coming down from the power line and driven into the ground by a stake that is the ground, and it goes down like six or ten feet.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Or if you look at every house, you're going to see near the meter, the electrical meter, you're going to.
Speaker 2: See a probably a copper rod driven into the ground, and that's your house is ground.
Speaker 1: Exactly same thing with a lightning rod. It's a ground for your entire house, so that the lightning doesn't go through your house, it goes through the lightning rod. And the point of all of those is that the earth is it can take it. Go ahead, give it as many electrical shocks as you want. It's gonna be fine, so we think, and it's a very good it's very good at just dispersing those charges. So that's what grounding comes from. Very important stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we mentioned transformers earlier. Power plants create massive amounts of electricity and you can't just shoot that down a power line and straight into a house because it will blow up everything in your in your home immediately. But they do need that kind of juice in order to transfer like hundreds of miles away from the power plant. You know, if you don't live close, it's still got to get to you. So the way they do that is through transformers. They transmit the power with a lot of voltage, so more force, less amperage.
Speaker 1: Less resistance, less resistance, which means you lose less.
Speaker 3: And then once it you know, they stop it down along the way and by the time it gets to your home, it's transformed down to here in the United States one hundred and twenty volts.
Speaker 1: More elsewhere, nice and safe, right, And then you just plug your appliance into it and all of a sudden that electrical energy transmits to your toast strude old being warmed.
Speaker 2: In your hot pocket with tainted meats.
Speaker 1: Wow, did you hear about that? Yeah? Remember that whole horse meat thing with Ikea the last couple of years. It wasn't just Ikea, but yeah, they were definitely called out, maybe most strongly for.
Speaker 2: I think the hot pockets too.
Speaker 3: They called it unsound meat, which is just a word that sounds weird.
Speaker 2: In front of meat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, unsound is not you don't want to go near it, unsound, unclean. It's biblical, all right.
Speaker 3: So now I think we, even though we've covered it in the Tesla podcast, we do need to go over ac DC a little.
Speaker 1: Bit to go listen to that podcast. That's a great one, best episode, best Australian band of all time. Are they were good?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, are good?
Speaker 1: David? Are they still around? Yeah? Man, David Bowie played pretty mean Tesla.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not talking about test him home at ac DC.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, uh yeah, Tesla's all.
Speaker 2: Right, sure, and they're not around.
Speaker 1: That's why I was really confused. So I was more confused about that than I was by any aspect of electricity.
Speaker 2: I'm like, yeah, man, of course they're around anyone Australian.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, No, ac DC is great and they're still around.
Speaker 3: Huh yeah they're I think they're putting an album together right now, give them form them.
Speaker 1: I'll bet it sounds exactly like all the rest. It's still rocks blues based rock uh in valure or velvet.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: So there was a battle being waged between Tesla and Edison, and Tesla was all about the ac current alternating current. Edison, as we know, said no, no, no, that's far too dangerous, and I'll prove this to you by electrocuting animals and dogs and cats and even an elephant named Topsy.
Speaker 1: And he was alleged to have helped botch the first electric cution by electric chair by a state. Oh yeah, I don't remember the details of that, but it's definitely in our episode.
Speaker 2: On Exploded the guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was a real jerk.
Speaker 2: Remember, Yeah, and I think we remember. I remember talking about there should be a movie too about that that battle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't believe there's not.
Speaker 2: It sounds super nerdy, but it would actually be interesting.
Speaker 1: It go over well these days, agreed.
Speaker 3: So batteries these days use direct current power DC power, and that means the positive and negative terminals are always positive and negative, and it always electricity always flows in the same.
Speaker 1: Direction from negative to positive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it does not alternate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just think about it. This way negative and electrons negative. Yeah, so in any terminal, that's where all the negative charges bad vibes, and then positive is where the electrons want to be because they're seeking to balance it out and create neutral so that there's no poll good vibes, yeah, or the very least so so vibes, yeah, true, but not negative vibes.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: And then you have alternating current or AC, which means the current reverses sixty times per second here in the US, fifty times per second in Europe. So it's just reversing back and forth, alternating that current. And I guess, so who went out in the end Tesla on a large scale.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I mean that's what our generation does.
Speaker 2: Yeh. Edison has his batteries. I guess he could throw it to.
Speaker 1: Which are pretty important too. But yeah, I think we kind of came out in the same way on that episode. Yeah, like this one, they both kind of won. Yeah, but Tesla was the cooler dude. Although Tesla died penniless in New York in the nineteen forties. Oh yeah, and Edison died of rich fat guy.
Speaker 2: He died of consumption and gout.
Speaker 3: That has Ben Franklin I guess we can finish with. If you get your power bill and you're amazed and you wonder how they calculate this stuff, it's pretty easy. Like we said here in the US, we deliver electricity into your home at one hundred and twenty volts, So you got to remember that one too.
Speaker 2: It's important.
Speaker 3: Our article uses a space heater as an example, which I think is pretty good. You plug in that space heater, let's say it's the only thing going in your house, which is not realistic, but go with me. You plug in the space heater and it comes out to ten amps. So you multiply that ten times one hundred and twenty because that's your voltage, and you have got twelve hundred watts of heat.
Speaker 1: Or one point two kill a watts.
Speaker 3: Yes, because that's how the power company is going to measure it, right, because they deal in big chunks.
Speaker 1: And if you leave that heater on for an hour, you've just used one point two kill a wat hours, which is how you're build.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and if they charge you a dime per kill a what hour? It's going to cost you twelve cents an hour to run that space heater?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Pretty simple? Yeap and neat.
Speaker 3: And that's why when you go to buy an appliance you should look at that little tag that says how many KILLO what hours you're going to be burning?
Speaker 1: That's right, the lower the better, So electricity. Huh You got anything else?
Speaker 2: No, don't play around with it?
Speaker 1: No, don't. Uh. Yes, I always wear rubber sold.
Speaker 2: Huice because rubber is an insulator.
Speaker 1: It is why because it hangs on to its electron. That's right, the atoms that make up rubber.
Speaker 2: It's just that simple.
Speaker 1: If you want to know more about electricity, you can type that word in the search bart HowStuffWorks dot com. You can also go on all sorts of kids science sites and find out more about it too. And since I said search bar, it's time for listener mail.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna call this rare birthday shout out.
Speaker 3: Hey, guys, my name is Pearl, and I just want to tell you how much a fan I am of your show. I was introduced to the podcast by my best friend Molly. We've been best friends for twelve years, and many of our conversations begin by commenting on the podcast. For example, we could not stop laughing at your nineteen twenties voice toward the end of the Underground Tunnels episode, we laughed over and over.
Speaker 1: That is a good voice.
Speaker 2: I think she's talking about this one. See that one. Yeah, Electricity, Tesla Edison killing animals. All right, that was for you, Molly and Pearl.
Speaker 3: Whenever we're in the car together, we find a podcast of yours to listen to so we can enjoy it together. I was wondering if you could help her out. Molly's twenty sixth birthday is April ninth. I think it would be totally awesome birthday gift if you would send her a shout out during listener mail, I would be forever in your debt.
Speaker 2: Thanks for doing the podcast.
Speaker 3: I'm a middle school teacher who always listens during my prep periods and so happy birthday Molly.
Speaker 2: Happy twenty six This should be close.
Speaker 1: Yeah, happy birthday to April ninth. That was very nice of us, Chuck.
Speaker 3: And thank you Pearl Web in Chicago, and your friendship means a lot to us.
Speaker 1: You know, your friendship with one another.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then conversely threw us all together in their car.
Speaker 1: Nice. Yeah, Well, if you want to get some sort of shout out sometimes Chuck Danes too, He's very nice. You can send us an email to stuff Podcasts at iHeartRadio dot com. Stuff you Should Know is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: For more podcasts my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.