Speaker 1: A Zone Media.
Speaker 2: Hey everybody, Robert Evans here and I wanted to let you know this is a compilation episode. So every episode of the week that just happened is here in one convenient and with somewhat less ads package for you to listen to in a long stretch if you want. If you've been listening to the episodes every day this week, there's going to be nothing new here for you, but you can make your own decisions. Welcome back to it could happen here, a podcast that basically all of last week is about the twenty twenty four Republican National Convention, a four day period of time that I'm not sure ever ended or ever really had a beginning. As of right now, we are stuck in the hotel because what we initially thought was a hack and may just have been a fuck up pushing an update by cloud strike, but by any measure of the word is like the greatest computer disaster of mine modern times has stranded every Republican in the country in the city of Milwaukee.
Speaker 3: With Yeah, we are trapped with every single Republican in Milwaukee, Wisconsin as we wait for airports like a Stephen kingne it's feeling quite dystopian. We've already been dealing with a great deal of like time dilation. Just this past week, this week has felt it first just felt like a month, and then it just felt like an eternity. Yeah, like we were just always reporting on the RNZ. This is this is all we have ever done.
Speaker 2: Every single day of this was longer than my childhood.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No, I feel like all I've ever done is a person is be someone who reports in the RNC. This is just the entirety of my existence and life purpose.
Speaker 2: It's like that Star Trek episode where they have like the fake casino because they found these aliens found a stranded astronaut and to try to make him comfortable, like recreated a dime store novel, and all of these fake people have only ever lived in the casino, experiencing the same day forever. That's us, that's us at the rn sight.
Speaker 3: I was only created to report on the RNC.
Speaker 2: Did I have a before? Did I have an after? Absolutely not. Yeah. Anyway, so we're doing well, is the short of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're mentally healthy and well and well suited to handle this political task.
Speaker 2: I guess the big story, the one that's really worth us talking about right now, is that last night you and I went to see the Trump speech spectacular. Now, every day of the convention, during the early part of the day, you'll have some speeches, and you'll have even some outside of the event. Different groups and organizations will rent out hotel, ballrooms, conference rooms, they'll give speeches, they'll do panels, there's workshops, and obviously inside the wire, so to speak, you have different dignitaries, politicians, you know, Ted Kruz will come by and I'll sit down to be interviewed by a podcaster, a radio host. Rudy Giuliani's doing the same thing. You've got all these people who do their shows live from the event and then in the evenings usually starting around like five to seven and something like that. Yeah, you start having speeches, and part of what you know, speeches at the RNC are it's obviously it's a way to hype up the base. This is the base. And one of the things I try to get across to people I posted on day one while there were some very dystopian shit coming out Marjorie Taylor Green speech and whatnot, how empty you know the stadium was to be, like, look, there's not that many people here, And someone was like, well, it's kind of dishonest to say that, because this is an invite on the event that you need credentials for. And well, that's my point though, is like as crazy as a lot of this stuff is, and we're going to get into a lot of the crazy, you don't also you don't want to discount it because these people are very powerful and they can do a lot of damage, and they there's a very good chance they're going to wind up with very close to total power. But they're also not representative of like a massive chunk of this country. Like these are the weirdest of the weird. These are the high freaks of Republican party politics. These are the nabobs and priests and shamans of their political class. And so you shouldn't over extend the craziness to think that, like, well, every one of my neighbors who is a conservative is this kind of person. Now, some of you do have neighbors who are this kind of person.
Speaker 3: So, and Trump's speech was certainly much more well attended than any other.
Speaker 2: Yes, and it was it was also a very different vibe because all of those other nights, all of the speeches. You know, a big part of what this is for the people who get speeches is like, we want to give you a reward for being a good party soldier, but no one wants to promise you a cabinet position right now. You know, we can't get like, so we'll give you a speech at the RNC. You can lead, and you can get on right before Tucker, you know, or you can come on right after Tucker or whatever like that, you know, And it's kind of how you it's one way to dole out favors, right, because it's good for people's you know, if you're head up an organization, it might get you some fundraising at any rate. It makes you look more connected at something you brag about to your friends. You get to go backstage and be around the VIPs and whatnot, be a VIP yourself.
Speaker 3: And that certainly the case for someone like the VEC, right, someone who doesn't hold like that office, never has, Yeah, but he's trying to position himself as being, you know, an active part of this political project act.
Speaker 2: Franklin Graham, Billy Graham's killer who gave a speech. That's not a guy who's you know, an elected leader, but it's he's a guy you won on your side, so let's give let's give him a nice position. We'll put him right after whol Cogan.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Which I guess is you know that that kind of gets it why Thursday was so different from the other nights because while the other Knights felt like a political convention, because the Dims do the same thing, right like that their speeches occupy roughly the same role in their party. Last night felt like a concert. Last night was the vibes of like a show. You are going to get hyped up and see a show. People were static. There was actually music acts like, not just the band that plays in between speeches, but Kid Rock came out and did a set.
Speaker 3: It was all a big put on before Ormans, Yes it was. It was in many cases well put on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it was very competently stage managed. There's no no denying that. We can talk about the content of the speech, and I've seen a lot of it, you know, same Sater who you know. I like, I'm not trying to shit, I'm not gonna shit on Sam or anything. But I saw his take being like I felt like this was kind of this seems like it's a weak speech. It's not very coherent. You know, people in the audience looked sleepy. That was not the vibe during Trump speech.
Speaker 3: I see where he's coming from, because this was one of the quieter Trump's speeches.
Speaker 2: Trump is quieter, sure.
Speaker 3: I think this this this was an intentional effort to blend some of his more classic talking points with this elder statesman kind of vibe and selectively utilizing the assassination attempt to talk about both yourself as this like broader political figure that that people should unite behind, because this incident really shows how divided we are, and what we really need to do to unite the country is stop attacking Trump, and that's the only way to do it. So like this, this was all on purpose and kind of using that more sympathetic unity messaging to squeeze in all of his same extremely far right talking points, just slipping in between calls for like unity and ending division and all of that.
Speaker 2: And also the fucking the boys are playing in women's sports and.
Speaker 3: The cannibal elector the late Gray.
Speaker 2: He had a Hannibal But we should we're getting ahead of ourselves. But I do want to just kind of say upfront. My take differs from what I've seen from Sam Cedar and what I've seen from a number of folks who watched, you know, the closed circuit version of this. The audience loved it. Yeah, like they loved it, and you can you can taste in the air the degree to which they love Trump. This is like not if you have not been to one of these rallies. And even this is different because I've been to a you know, a regular Trump rally. This was different than that because this is again like the most dedicated chunk of the base. It's the very much a religious experience for these people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, it definitely had that spiritual vibe. So the first speaker, we wanted to really get to in person to hear talk with Tucker, and Tucker, you have a very efficient speech. He did not read off a teleprompter. He was at living the best speech at the convention. He was he was, he was. He was a pretty good speaker. And I know we often will make fun of kind of Tucker's mode of speaking on television, which can come off as a little bit like disjointed and kind of just like confused. You know, he has that like resting confused look on his face. He was a very good live performer. Yeah, this he gave a stronger live performance than I think what a lot of his televised performances come off at. He was.
Speaker 2: He gave an eerdit and smooth summary of fascist ideology of specifically what used to be called the Futor prinzip or Fewer principle, which is this idea that came out of the Nazi movement of a nation being embodied by a man, and the man is accountable to the people, not in a sense that we would consider like checks and ballot and says, but in some deep spiritual connection that they have. And Tucker very directly like like hearkened to that. He made a comment about like you know, Trump talked to me and he was like, you know, when I got shot, I expected to see the crowd running, screaming, stampeding, panicking, and no one did. And Tucker was like, that's because you're the leader, and the leader the people follow the leader, and they you know, you didn't panic, so they won't panic. Yeah, it's the most direct old style. This is nineteen twenties Nazism stuff that Tucker is throwing out. And he he discussed it in a way that was very smooth and very palatable to American ears. And that was the most chilling part of the night for me, because Trump's speech was not a particularly I think back to twenty sixteen and I was I was at the R and C in twenty sixteen. Trump's speech on the last night of the R and C was his blood in the Street speech. It was a he was angry, it was aggressive. It was a violent speech, right, and there were there were moments, certainly silence in his speech, but not much that was not the overall vibe. That was not what he built towards. It wasn't the thing he ended on, and it was never really a focus. But what Tucker was focusing on was getting people on board the concept that they are bonded to Trump in a spiritual sense and that the nation is and that Trump is the leader, not by dint of having been elected, but by dint of some sort of psycha like psycho religious mystic bond.
Speaker 3: Tucker was also the first guy I heard of the convention to mention Antifa at all, first and only saying Antifa is the Democrats owned militia, which is, you know something that you would hear four years ago, and right before Tucker's speech, I actually was talking with Robert being like, hey, I've not heard anyone mention INTIFA this entire week, and like this was used to be such a big thing in their political messaging, both like four years ago, two years ago, and this week, it was just completely absent. Obviously, it has been replaced by some of this like gender ideology, groomer, kind of transpanic type stuff, but it is a noticeable absence in the current talking points of the Republican Party save for this one mentioned by Tucker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, during Trump's speech, I don't even recall him bringing up the radical left. He didn't even He made a couple of joke and these those on the two of the jokes that that got the best crowd response from him is he would bring up Biden, but they say, I'm not going to mention his name. I promise I won't talk about him, you know, And that got a laugh every time that he did it, which I counted twice. He did make one reference to the shooter and said he tried to stop our movement. Yeah, greatest movement in the history of the country. And yeah, that was interesting to me. I think that he was kind of playing easing off the gas on that one, because there's still so much that's uncertain about the shooter and his motives. I went to work out today because the morning after convention, that's kind of how I purged the hangover from my body. And I was watching Fox News on the TV in the gym, And I don't watch television news much because I'm a person who has to do things, but it is useful sometimes because it connects you with how an unfortunate number of people in this country do and take their news. And this morning, one of the reports was about the shooter and how the FBI had found that he had three encrypted accounts offshore overseas that they're trying to break into. They are referring to I think discord kind of accounts and stuff like that, like he might have like an.
Speaker 3: We have like a WhatsApp, he might have WhatsApp inn account.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's an encrypted email possibly. Yeah, the stuff that like I have, most people have. But they were like, so this makes it even more likely that Iran is involved. You know, there's some sort of a rant because like overseas that means Iran oh man, there's lots of companies that have encrypted apps that aren't based in the we I used to shill for a VPN that was based I think Nord is based in Switzerland. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but like some of the VPNs are based in Switzerland and like these are not. It's not that it's overseas. Does not mean there's any tie to anything other than this kid, like a lot of people had, was used in encrypted messaging platforms. Obviously, I'm interested, you know, if the FBI, if or when they get into that stuff, what they find. But I don't think they're going to find that. The fucking Ayatola gave this guy a five hundred dollars AR fifteen and fifty rounds of ammunition.
Speaker 3: That is certainly doubtful. I mean, yeah, I think Tu Tucker had some of the best audience reactions since Marjor Taylor Green's speech. He called jd Vance a friend said that Advance's politics, They're closer to the average Trump voter than anyone else in Washington. And yeah, just an overall very very polished speech.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we should probably do an ad break now, huh, we should. We're back so after Tucker. We had a couple of other people come on. There was a woman who worked for an education a conservative education political activist group, who her whole thing was, you know, I worked in prisons for a while and then I switched over to working in schools. And the thing that shocked me is our schools are so much more of our schools are like prisons, which I was like, well, actually, there's a lot to be said about the way in with some of the same technology, right, yes, no, this is there's a lot to do. And then she was like, because children are much more violent than convicted felons, and like, oh, a lot of what she was saying is that, like, schools are completely out of control. And obviously, in the wake of the height of the COVID pandemic and the lockdown, school violence did soar. It's been coming back down. Overall, schools have been getting less violent in every single way but shootings for twenty straight years. And that is that is the case now, like under in Joe Biden's America, schools, like violence that is not related to shootings is going down. But what she was saying is that we need to be able to expel and suspend kids, particularly, suspend kids more often for bad behavior. There is actually quite a bit of data that shows that when you suspend children, it makes them more likely to offend and disrupt class in the future, Like it increases the problems that you are supposed to be stopping. Like most conservative measures that are kind of like punitive in nature, it doesn't actually do the trick. I don't know why I'm arguing with this lady, but it is important that that's a big part of how they're pitching what ultimately is a plan to win the Department of Education to parents is like, your schools are so dangerous for your kid, you need to be able to have a voucher to send them to a private school. And we need to be able to kick these underperforming black students out of schools in order to make them safer for everybody, right, and shuffle them off into the car serial system.
Speaker 3: Right. This whole speech was kind of a coded way of talking about like urban crime. She blamed this problem on an Obama Biden policy to limit suspension rates. Whe Trump undid and yeah, said that the solution is both more suspensions and more school resource officers, which a Kido Institute says actually increases the number of Island instants in schools. So but again, of course they're going to call for more police. This is the Republican Party.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I don't know why we even bother like fact checking. This is important because I care, like in you care, and but like our audience knows, the lady that gets up to talk about school policy at the R and C is not going to be bringing out good policy.
Speaker 3: But this is just how everything works. Like this just kind of underlines the alternate world that is formed in places like this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you can't you can't fight these people with facts. That is the mistake liberals always make. It's like, well, if we can just out argue them, if we can get them, get them in front of the American people and see how bankrupt their ideas are. And that's not how you do it. Now. That's not to say that you shouldn't get out and engage with them, because what does work is showing the American people reminding them these are freaks. These people are weird. These people are off putting, These people are scary, and you don't want to be around them, and by god, you don't want them with their finger on the button, Like I do think that consistently.
Speaker 3: Works, and unfortunately that freaks nature can sometimes help them, like when you pull out hul cogd onto stage waving an American flag, calling Trump his hero and his gladiator.
Speaker 2: And talking about how, yeah, all of America are gonna be the Trump bites, that's what they're gonna call him, which apparently he used to do with nWo back in the day, back in his glory day he got he couldn't stop himself from talking about beating Andrea the Giant at WrestleMania. I think it was like nineteen eighty three. He made two different Andre the Giant references, both of which were very mean. To Andre the Giant, who I wish, Oh Andre, No, the wrong one died.
Speaker 3: Al Cogan compared the energy of the RNC to a WWE match, which he is not was not wrong, It's very similar. Look, I'm not gonna like hull Cogan understands this crowd, oh more than almost more than maybe any other actual speaker. Yeah, like like Tucker kind of understands them, but but hull Cogan even more so.
Speaker 2: They loved him. Yeah when he ripped his shirt off.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Tank top underneath.
Speaker 2: That was the best moment of the RNC. That was the moment where I was like, all right, fuck it.
Speaker 3: He said that he usually stays out of politics, but after what happened on Saturday, he could no longer stay silent, and then spend you know, the rest of the speech just praising Trump, saying how tough he is, saying that you know, he's survived all these court cases, these investigations, impeachments, and we need a tough man to take on like politicians, criminals and drug dealers. And no, it was It was a in a week full of kind of surreal moments where you're seeing these people that you only interact with on a screen. H you just see them walk past you, like all the time every day. This was certainly one of the most surreal men.
Speaker 2: And Cawthorne nearly hit me with his wheelchair. And I'm not the only one I talked to with that story. He's a little reckless, So I'm gonna be honest.
Speaker 3: Maybe he thought you were a tree.
Speaker 2: Maybe he thought it.
Speaker 1: Was a tree.
Speaker 2: I love that we saw two people, two Republicans at this convention, both of whom have a tragic tree story. So I'm talking about Greg Abbott.
Speaker 3: They made the kind of baffling decision on the schedule to put Franklin Graham after Hulk Hogan.
Speaker 2: Not not nice to Franklin Graham, to be honest, No, yeah, because he's he did the thing that like usually gets a good reaction, which is the prayer. Right He's there to do the prayer, and this is a good crowd for a prayer, right, Like, that's not a that's not like a lame thing to these people. They love doing that. But no one's heart was fully into the prayer after Hulk, Like, you can't, you can't get the people. It's a it's a tough come down from Hulk Hogan ripped his shirt off on stage too. Now let's bow our heads and thank God.
Speaker 3: But if you didn't grow up iny Minchelle Circles of Franklin Graham is the son of Billy Graham, possibly the most famous pastor in American history, at least in the past one hundred.
Speaker 2: Years, since sinners in the hands of an angry God, like the most popular man of faith in the country.
Speaker 3: And he closed his prayer by saying, all authority comes from you, speaking of God, and we ask if it be thy will that you will make America great once again. Just a wonderful, a wonderful Christian message.
Speaker 2: Uh huh grand So that was nice, and Eric Trump gave a very Uh he tried his best, which is basically what Trump said. Again, you Hulk Hogan has just been on, Trump is about to be on. It is the last night of the RNC, and everyone is absolutely certain of victory. So as a speaker tonight, you couldn't be more teed up for a good reaction. And he could barely get laughs, he could barely get cheers. Like even when he did the anti trans stuff, it didn't get it got a muted reaction, not because people aren't bicketed, because they loved it when Marjorie Taylor Green did the say they loved it when Trump did. Eric Trump just sucks yeah at speaking, probably at everything, but he did not get a reaction. I cannot overemphasize to you how little this crowd wanted to listen to Eric.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I mean he shout it out. Monster Liberty said that the Trump admin will fight against brainwashing, and schools will fight against homeless people, specifically taking resources from veterans and of course trans people in sports.
Speaker 2: He kept bringing up Ukraine to stealing resources from Americans. He was like the most brought up Ukraine in a derogatory sense, more than I think any other single speaker at the convention, which is interesting because his dad took even a bit of a different tact with that. So yeah, I found that interesting. But I did not find his speech interesting because he is a bad speaker.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: The only line I found interesting is when he was talking about how all of Donald Trump's political enemies aren't just happy going after him, but also going to be going after every Republican. And he said the greatest retribution will be our success. Yeah, and they've been using network a lot this year, retribution retribution.
Speaker 2: And you know, he did kind of in the end, getted a little bit of applause. That's it was like the fifth or sixth best standing ovation of the night. So again, at his best, was never able to really rile.
Speaker 3: Them up, especially when he's talking about assassination attempt. I mean, yeah, the crowd chounting fight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what got them back on board and interesting. They loved talk about that, I think in part because it had been so absent earlier.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was talking about way more today than basically all the other days of the week combined.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and that makes sense. I mean, it was the day that Trump came out to speak, you know, and.
Speaker 3: You know what we're going to talk about now or not talk.
Speaker 2: About assassinating your thirst with hopefully a soda company advertising on the podcast. Otherwise this ad segue is not going to make much sense.
Speaker 3: All right. Time for Donald Trump himself, he's coming out. They they they set this stage, they got.
Speaker 2: Everything to be an American.
Speaker 3: And then they announced Kid.
Speaker 2: Rock, Oh my god, and he comes out and the whole stage is wreathed in massive screens, like dozens of feet tall, and they all are portraying fire and American.
Speaker 3: Flag, American flags that look kind of like they're on fire burning.
Speaker 2: Kid Rock comes out and does a rap set to burning American flags surrounding him.
Speaker 3: Just it was kind of just a fascinating image for the RNC.
Speaker 2: The refrain is they call me Cowboy. He said that like forty times, and he just kept going Trump, Trump, Trump, Fight, Fight, Fight, And.
Speaker 3: They loved it. They loved it. Was It was very high energy. It was it was a concert. Everyone everyone, everyone had a great time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, it got a good reaction. People were hyped up. It is the loudest, stupidest thing I have ever seen in my life, but it got a really good reaction. People loved kid Rock coming out. It's interesting to me that they chose to have kid Rock basically lead directly to the president rather than than the Hulkster. But I don't know. If I were if I had been setting this up, I would have done Franklin Graham, school Lady, Eric Trump, all the weak ones up first, and then probably Tucker the Hulkster, Kid Rock, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the NSC should really hire you to man their schedule.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm available, guys.
Speaker 3: So after we all kid rocked out, technically, Dana White gave the introduction or Dana White.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they bring in Dana White, who has who is the UFC CEO. Yeah, who is also on video hitting his wife in the face. This is not a debatable, he said. She said, he is on video. You can watch it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And he gave a very very very typical strength and security speech to introduced Trump, who emerged from behind one of the big the big screens.
Speaker 2: Well, proud to be an American plays and like the entire crowd stands up and they're all singing along to Proud to Be an American. They love that song.
Speaker 3: He'd started his speech, and one of the interesting things is that he said that he's going to tell the story of what happened at the assassination attempt here right now, but won't tell it ever again because it's too painful to tell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll be interested to see how often he does, because it is like just based on his body language, because he's been out every night but not saying anything, and he does has looked a bit different, and I'm not going to do the whole thing. Some of the fucking you had some like Politico being like, it's a new Trump, He's become a statesman. They definitely that's what the RNC is trying to sell you on. That's nonsense. But he has changed in the way that like you would be if you were shot in the head and survived, you know, like anyone is go like, he's not a robot, right, Like anyone is going to be affected by that. And he might not have been lying. He might just have been like, look, I have to talk about this once. I really don't want to keep talking about this because it's fucked up.
Speaker 3: I mean one of the parts actually felt genuine. Were certain sections of this where he was like saying like, I'm I'm I was not supposed to be here tonight, and the crowd was like, yes you are.
Speaker 2: Yeah he was like no, no, no, really close.
Speaker 3: You know, he was thanking God. I don't know how genuine that is for him, and how much of that's political posture.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that I don't necessarily believe that.
Speaker 3: That's just kind of what you have to do.
Speaker 2: He certainly knows that he barely made it out of that fucking speech.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And he pointed to thessassination attempt as a sign of how divided this country has been. A very world trying to find the guy who did this moment, And he called the Democrats to stop the witch hunts if they want to unify the country, saying, quote, we must not demonize political disagreement, and the Democrats should quote stop weaponizing the Justice Department against Trump and labeling him an enemy of democracy. So he's saying, the way to actually unify this country is just to stop stopping bad. Yeah, stop saying orange man bad. That's really what he was, That's what he was getting at.
Speaker 2: Well, and I you know, you get if you want to see the things that you can gain from this that are useful in how to fight these people. They are scared of the attacks that portray Trump as an enemy of democracy. The Project twenty twenty five focus was hurting Republicans and polling and the fact that the dims have pulled back maybe not.
Speaker 3: Mentioned in a single speech this week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nobody talked up twenty twenty five. You know, even the Heritage Foundation people were notably cagier about it than you might expect in their interviews with the press, because they do know that it's not a good it's not great for them to bring up now.
Speaker 3: It's not popular. Yeah, and you know, slowly Trump's speech got more more Trumpian rights, saying that Democrats are destroying our country, talking about you know, immigrants invading our country. As he said, he said there word invasion many many times. Yeah, saying that that there that saying that legal immigrants are killing hundreds of thousands of people a year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the fentanyl thing. It's even though ninety fyl is brought into US sports of entry by US citizens. Yeah, that line actually was one of the through lines. That was almost every day of this I heard someone mention that we've lost as many or more Americans to fentanyl as we did in World War Two. At one point it might have been in Trump's speech. It was even framed as like more people have died from fentanyl than died in World War Two, and like, well, no, no, no, lot, a lot of people died in World War two, just not that many Americans. Really.
Speaker 3: Yeah, speaking of World War two era Germany in Trump's little section, we sure did get a mention there. In Trump's little section about inflation, he gave a fascinating comment, yeah, saying, quote, you can go back to Germany one hundred years ago unquote to see the negative effects of inflation, yea, pointing to like fin Maar era Germany.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you're talking about Vymar. He's talking about like what immediately preceded the Nazis coming to power.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and and but like also framing it is like I'll be the one to get us out of inflation, which is very similar messaging as the fascist movements did, saying to Germany that was in you know, in a real economic issue, we will be the ones to fix this through through nationalism, closing our borders through putting Germany first, like that is, it's, it's it was. It was a very very odd comparison for Trump to make. I don't know how well he thought through that. I don't believe that was this was like an intentional code admits it didn't.
Speaker 2: It didn't seem like.
Speaker 3: I don't think Trump works that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he definitely does have teleprompters sometimes, but he also he is like a good public speaker. He doesn't just stick religious to it, you know, And that did strike me as a line that may have just come right out of the heart.
Speaker 3: Now, he had a few other interesting things in the economy. He was talking a lot about increasing car manufacturing jobs, including saying the leader of the United Autoworkers should be fired and promising to put tariffs of one hundred to two hundred percent on all foreign made cars, which would I'm sure do some real.
Speaker 2: Stuck up on your toyotas now, folks, well they make a lot of them in the US.
Speaker 3: I'm sure that would really help the economy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, which is like, I mean, part of the there's a lot to say about that. One thing that's interesting, someone had told you because you were the first person to bring this up to me. There were strong rumors that really a midday before the speech started percolating that Elon Musk was going to show up and introduce or introduce people.
Speaker 3: I heard this from like Thursday morning.
Speaker 2: Which may mean that they were just getting some bullshit. It may mean that there were actually talks, right, I'm sure because Musk has been real like Musk has been trying do get Trump's attention. Yeah, that's beyond debate.
Speaker 3: He wants Trump on Twitter m hm.
Speaker 2: And he wants Trump. You know. He's he's been making all these statements about how much money he's going to donate to Trump and now he's endorsing him. Now, do I actually think he's gonna give the RNC forty five million dollars a month? No, he's going to find some bullshit way he's gonna give him something. But he's gonna fight. He's he's he never spends gives like that's too much money for him to want to spend on them, right, Like, I think he's going to fuck them the way he fucks everybody over. But it was interesting to me how much talk there was of him showing up and absolutely no eel on And in fact, there was a moment where Trump was like, hey, electric cars are fine for some things, but like we got to subsidize gas cars.
Speaker 3: Yeah. He talked about, you know, increasing drilling in the United States and kind of the last big topic that he went to was the border. He pointed to the to the little border patrol chart that he looked at the split second before those shots fired, which saved his life, So you can thank the borderroll chart for that. He said that Mexico and South American countries are sending murderers and people from a sane asylums into the United States.
Speaker 2: It was interesting because Naibukele of El Salvador, it keeps getting brought up as like a Trumpian figure, is like, this is the kind of leader Trump wants to be. Look at how good he's done it, like stopping violent crime in El Salvador. Trump shat on him. Trump accused him of sending all of El Salvador's violent criminals and psychopaths to the United States, which I thought was interesting.
Speaker 3: Actually, was it El Salvador Venezuela.
Speaker 2: Both He brought up both because he also brought up Venezuela and accused them of doing that, he said El Salvador. But he also brought up Venezuela and said, maybe next election will hold the RNC in Venezuela because it's so peaceful now because they sent all their rapists here.
Speaker 3: Exactly that. Then he had the late great Hannibal Lecter line, and then immediately afterwards he said that he will enact the largest deportation program in American history. Yeah, and that's just what a very beautiful snapshot of the current American politican.
Speaker 2: And it got a great reaction. And I would say that by far the most aggressive, because he really didn't play any of that much of the much of if any radical left stuff. He really even didn't other than to say that Joe was like a bad president, the country was in bad shape. He didn't like yell at Democrats. Much hate was mostly reserved for migrants and immigrants.
Speaker 3: Yes. He closed by saying that we're going to be building an iron dome in the United States.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that curveball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And then he pivoted to saying that we will not have men playing in women's sports, which is the first trans reference.
Speaker 2: In his whole speech, and he just kind of dropped it and then changed.
Speaker 3: And then he immediately continued to something else, And the crowd did not react to that nearly as much as they reacted to any of the other mentions of like trans people.
Speaker 2: I think because it just kind of he just kind of threw it out there, but then we're right back to.
Speaker 3: It was almost like a perfunctory line, like knew he.
Speaker 2: Had again and drop a line about because I think it is perfunctory because again Trump doesn't really care all that much about the culture, like the social stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that is That's pretty much what they closed the speech on. Most mostly on this migrant stuff, this iron dome thing, and increase increasing the increasing the manufacturing jobs in the United States, which is you know, a lot of a lot of what Trump's messaging was back at twenty sixteen as well.
Speaker 2: So I mean, in a way, it was mostly him playing the hits. You know, we had the there was He did bring out Corey Contemporis firefighter's uniform. It was on stage behind him the whole time. He kissed it.
Speaker 3: At one point walked up to it and I thought he was gonna going for a hug, and I was like, oh, that's gonna be weird, and instead he went up behind and kissed it, which was also weird.
Speaker 2: It kind of did a Joe Biden to the Dead Man's It was firefighter.
Speaker 3: It was a very Joe Biden.
Speaker 2: And he brought up Corey. He brought also up the other people who were wounded. He named them all, which you know, you I makes sense, you have to do it. He didn't really talk much about Corey beyond that, like Corey was there as a prop. He kissed it, and then he.
Speaker 3: Gave a five second moment of silence, a very brief moment of silence.
Speaker 2: And then they moved on. And when his speech ended for the night, Garrison and I both saw this was beautiful moments to share with you, Garrett. You and I have shared some moments, but this was. This is right up at the top of the list as all of the the whole convention, the whole ceiling is balloons, right. They've got them up there. They have some sort of system by which like at the end they trigger it and they all start falling down and they'll fall for ten fifteen minutes. Like there's a lot of balloons and it's rigged so that they're and you know, some of them are red, white and blue. A lot of them are like gold.
Speaker 3: Huge gold balloons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the last sight we get, you know, as as Trump is on stage with his family, balloons are showering the crowds everywhere streaming.
Speaker 3: They're celebrating what they see as as an inevitable victory.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Two stage crew guys take Corey's uniform and wheel it unceremoniously off stage into darkness as quietly wheel its balloons poured down and everyone dances and cheeers.
Speaker 3: No one, no one noticed.
Speaker 2: We're done. It's like Frank Grime's caskets sinking into the into the dirt, and the Simpsons like no one sees, one sees.
Speaker 3: Very unceremoniously, very quietly, very quickly just wheeled off and what we needed from him as the celebration continues. And also they spelled his name wrong on the firefighting uniform, to be it was previously spelled wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's I think it was an issue of when he was a firefighter. They just could only have so many letters on the jackets. But you know, there was some talk about that. I have seen a lot of folks making the comparison to Horst Wessel, who was a German member of the Brown Shirts who's also a pimp, who gets got murdered by some communists in retaliation for acts of violence he had carried out right before the Third Reich took power, and they they really made a lot out of his death. He got this massive state funeral, They had a very popular song about him. He was kind of he was kind of the individual chosen to embody all of the guys who died in the street fights prior to the right of the party. And people have been comparing Corey to Horst. I get why, because this is we are watching a fascist party near power here, and there's clearly some desire in that for Corey to be that. Horst was the focus of almost I'm not almost a cult And what I saw here was a perfunctory, Well, we got to mention this guy. Uh, we got to like, you know, make a reference to him. But let's let's get in and out of that. We got to move on to the meat and potatoes. That's not gonna win us. And I think what is like the the swing voters and shit don't care about Corey contemporary right, that's not gonna that's our base is going to expect us to say something. It's also just like the thing you do. This guy got killed at your rally with a bulletmint for you, you got to bring up something. But then let's move on. Let's get him out of there, Let's shove his fucking uniform into the fucking back closet, and uh, get back to the party, you know. And that is different from how the Nazis handled horsed And I think that difference maybe it signals a real difference in the structure of American fascism, you know, and how it inhabits a party, or maybe it's just a measure of we're not all fully bought in on this to the extent in the same way that the Nazis were, right like, we really are trying to just get a lot of people on board to vote for us, and we don't want to get too weird with it. We don't want to have a big cult for Corey at the RNC, the big religious state. That's got to be off putting to Americans. So let's we'll kiss the hat people like firefighters, shove it back. That's how I took that.
Speaker 3: There's two other things I want to mention I've had JD. Vance's hype song stuck in my head. Boy, yeah, because they just kept playing it at that convention, and it's an interesting song. It has it has a good beat. It for most of the song, it's talking about how, you know, we spend all this time trying to like liberate other countries, right, and maybe actually we're the ones that need to be liberated. Maybe maybe America actually needs to be saved. Maybe we aren't as free as what we would think. And it has a line about like getting out of Iraq.
Speaker 2: We got to get out of we got to get out of Iraq, take our country back and put America first.
Speaker 3: And I mean that is the point that where they lose me. Obviously, it's still it's still interesting for one of them, Like for the Vice President's song at the RNC to be anti Iraqs. I'm like, hey, there there were people telling you back then not to do Iraq and you really wanted to.
Speaker 2: We heard it for the first time on Monday when Vance got officially announced as the nominee, and I kind of wondered, then, if like is this a fuck up? Was like somebody they were like, oh, there's a Merle Haggard song about America first, let's throw that in there, and then realized, oh no, there's we can't have that. We're the party who did the Iraq stuff. But it kept coming up, man kept being played. So it's very intentional, clearly.
Speaker 3: And we were talking last night about this and like how how this is how these tips sort of nationalist projects always work. And we we've seen more America first, like that, that exact phrase used at this convention way more than any any previous one. Trump said it a few times. A lot of speakers have been saying it, just like we need to put America first. And yeah, specifically in this song, you know, it has it has this kind of populist bent that then veers very hard nationalists, which I'm sure we're all familiar with as a political tendency. But I've just thought I found that to be the most interesting part is because for like the majority of that song, I'm like, yes, absolutely, I agree. And then and and then they say the America first line, and it's like, oh, that is not that is not what we're talking about. It's yeah, and I just know it's it's it's been something I've been thinking about and I'm sure we'll want I'm sure we'll do some more deep dives on Vance in the coming weeks, since he's a little bit, you know, less well known to many of you, I assume. And the the last thing I kind of want to mention is that yesterday, right before Trump's speech, I was getting some work done and I happened to be sitting about ten feet away from Ted Cruz, who was who is talking on air about his thoughts on like both this this convention and this election in general. And he said a few interesting things that I half heard that I that I quickly just scribbled down on a notebook. He said that, you know this, this convention already feels like a celebration, right, this already feels like like we've kind of won. But he warned Republicans to be scared of over confidence. He said that we're kind of acting like how the Democrats were acting in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 2: I have been saying that all week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's that's what Ted Cruz was saying. Yeah. He thinks that that that Biden is not going to be the candidate, that someone else is going to come into place.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: He believes that that's going to be Michelle Obama, which is believable in an unhinged opinions.
Speaker 2: Unbelievable because like, do I think Michelle Obama would have a decent shot at winning the presidency in this election? And sure, do I think Michelle Obama wants to go anywhere near the White House again in her life?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: Absolute, it's like a nightmare. She's making movies, they're produced, they're in Hollywood. You're doing the thing people when.
Speaker 3: They're doing what Ted Cruz wants to do.
Speaker 2: When people are allowed to make big Hollywood movies, they don't want to get into politics for a long time. That's how we avoided having fascists and power in this country and like like direct power, like like Trump type kind of fascists.
Speaker 3: We're very lucky that Clint Eastwood just makes movies and doesn't do.
Speaker 2: Are the people who would be the best we have? You know, you have fascists like stuck inside of the bureaucracy, But the people who could really have the potential charisma to be populist leaders wind up becoming movie stars. Tom Cruise could have been a president. Oh he's he's got what it takes, but he decided to devote all of that manic kind of charisma energy into climbing the bersh Khalifa. And that's part of the genius of the American system.
Speaker 3: And I mean, guess lastly, Milwaukee was lovely. All the food service workers Milwaukee's great. Even the poor people who were forced to work at the convention center consistently nice, did a great job. And there's there's one one anecdote that Robert should mention.
Speaker 2: Just regardless of a favorite part of the convention, some of the.
Speaker 3: Very fine people here in Milwaukee.
Speaker 2: I've gotten shouted my my occasional enemy, well always enemy, but occasionally I remember that he exists. Andy No made a series of posts about how there was a dangerous Antifa terrorist at the convention and like clipped a couple of posts of mine out of context like he always does, and was like, you know, people in his in his mentions were tagging the Secret Service.
Speaker 3: In THEBN it serves Laura Lumer.
Speaker 2: I continued to repeatedly enter the r n C. I went through. God, I lost count of how many times I went through Secret Service checkpoints. We snuck into the hair Ridage Foundation party. None of it mattered. The only people at the show who recognized me were like technical folks for the different radio. I had a couple of different people who were carrying booms carrying cameras who like referenced, like recognized me and shouted me out, which I felt good about. What I felt best about is as you and I were walking to the stadium to see the speech, we see a forklift driving down the street in the middle of this one of the crowded streets. Yeah, which is kind of crazy. It's weird. I've never actually seen a construction vehicle driving around inside the during like the convention hours, so that was weird. And as we're like watching this thing, like I honestly wondered, like, should I like get a footage of this? That's kind of wild looking? As were as we see it like kind of coming up next to us, the driver leans out of the side of the vehicle and he is a beautiful man covered in tattoos, huge nos ring and he's like.
Speaker 3: Hey, Roberts, we have the demographic.
Speaker 2: Nothing has ever made me so certain that we're doing the right thing with our lives. We're reaching the people we need to be reaching.
Speaker 3: You know, we forklift certified soldiers out there so Forklift Nation.
Speaker 2: Thank you for listening to it could happen here.
Speaker 3: We do this for you.
Speaker 2: We do this for you. We know you have our backs and we have your back.
Speaker 3: Stay save everybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, God bless.
Speaker 5: Hello, Welcome to It could happen here? Another food episode. How did we get here today? We're talking about asparagus. Why you might ask, once again, you can blame James Stout Hi James.
Speaker 4: Hi, Cheren. I'm happy to be blamed. I take responsibility for asparagus.
Speaker 5: Why did you want me to talk about asparagus?
Speaker 4: Well, it's because Shereen I grew up in the vyl Aviv Sham. The vyl Aviv Sham, if people aren't familiar, is an area in the middle of England where asparagus has grown heavily. In fact, there's a protected origin, so you could only call it vel Aviv Shum asparagus if it comes. Yeah, there was a big asparagus auction that used to happen the first the first so around it's called grass and not asparagus. Right, Where's I'll get into that? Yeah, good, good, excited to Then it's so do you know how many how many spears are in a round?
Speaker 2: Sreen.
Speaker 5: No, let's say no.
Speaker 4: Okay, it's a gross, a gross of spears, so it gross. How many do you know how many in a gross? No, it is one hundred and forty four. It's twelve times twelve.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 4: So there's a pub called the Round of Grass. We scot a lot. When I was younger, I used to work. If anyone knows it high maybe you probably know me. It's small fan to my mum, who is probably the only person I used to work to stand the road from there at a tomato like a big tomato greenhouse.
Speaker 5: You used to work at a tomato greenhouse.
Speaker 4: Yep, yep, pack up the tomatoes. Slap a label on that bad boy, sat. It's such a crap job, Like I mean, it doesn't say no disrespect if you work in the tomato greenhouse and that's what you enjoy, Like, that's great, Like I love to grow a tomato. That job was just not I didn't like it. The same thing every day.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's fair. That's fair. Well, well, today is not a tomato episode. Today is an asparagus episode. Let's just get into it. I want you to talk more about your hometown, but I'm gonna sprinkle it in here and there. Just to make these more interesting, Let's just get into the nitty gritty of what asparagus is. Apparently, the asparagus is a member of the lily family. The plant is made up of the top, which is the fern, the crowns which are the buds, and then the roots. All three of these parts are vital to a productive asparagus plant. The fern is known as the factory, which through photosynthesis, produces food sorted in the crown and their roots below ground. The number of vigorous spears in the spring depends on the amount of food produced and stored in the crown during the preceding summer and fall. Producing a good crop of fern is necessary for ensuring a good crop of spears the following spring. It's important not to cut the old fern at the end of the season until it is completely dead, and the best time to remove old fern is in the spring, since valuable food and nutrients move during the autumn months from the dying fern to the crown. Fascinating, Yeah, maybe you're wondering is there a nutritional value? Yes, of course it's a vegetable, But one cup of asparagus has no fat and only two grays of sugar and three milligrams of salt. Apparently, it's known as one of the most nutritionally balanced vegetables ever, a lot of fiber, and it contains no cholesterol, very low in sodium, as I said, a good source of folic acid, potassium, as well as vitamin's A A six and vitamin C. Wowie, Yeah, only the young shoots of asparagus are eaten. Fun fact. There's also an amino acid called asparagene, and this gets its name from asparagus because the asparagus plant is rich in this compound. Asparagene is also commonly found fun fact in French fries and potatoes, which are potatoes and fries are the same. There are over three hundred known varieties of asparagus, and the varieties most widely seen in the United States include the white variety, which is preferred in Europe. I'll get into this later, but apparently chefs in Europe only usually use white James.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well that's the mainland Europe. Maybe now that we've exited, obviously, we can be proud of our green asparagus. I've not enjoyed white asparagus. I think it lacks fresh, the fresh flavor.
Speaker 5: There's a reason for that. There's a reason for that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they pile up the soil, right, so yeah, exactly, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well spoiler alert, I was going to call it is very fascinating that they prefer to do that, though, But regardless, the three varieties in the United States include the white one, and these sunlight deprived stocks are a little milder and more delicate. It's difficult to find these fresh in the US, but they are widely available canned or in jars.
Speaker 4: They don't want to be eating a sparis in a can or a jar, though.
Speaker 5: I mean, you don't want to be eating most things in a canna a jar.
Speaker 4: That's pretic. A sardine if you're a person who eats sardines very good in a.
Speaker 5: Can, I'm not going to do a hardy an episode.
Speaker 4: That could be a really interesting episode. I used to live in a place where they had a protected origin for those as well.
Speaker 5: You know, after doing sea your Chins, I was glad to do asparagus because asparagus, says, are not little think things. I'm not trying to be annoying, but I think it's hard for me to talk about things like eating.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: About them because they are food, but they're not my first choice. So I'm glad to be talking about a plant today. I don't find asparagus cute, so maybe it's easier for me to eat them. That's that's just my own bias.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I didn't derail your episode. I've been reminded that I had my twenty first birthday party at one of the pubs at Auctions. The asparagus. Wow, tidbit.
Speaker 5: I love some James Stout Loore.
Speaker 4: Forget in the varn, in the varn at the fleece at Breadforton. The other one, of course, is around the grass and batsy.
Speaker 5: Wow, fascinating. Your life continues to be fascinating.
Speaker 4: That's extremely fucking mundane.
Speaker 5: It's fucking weird in a good way. But sure they're the other variety, the violet or purple kind of asparagus. This one is commonly found in England and Italy and it has a very substantial stock. And then is the green asparagus, which is the most widely known kind of asparagus, because most American asparagus is of this variety, and it ranges from pencil thin to very thick. They describe it as the size of your thumb, but I think this is relative, depending on how big your thumb is. And then there's also wild asparagus, and these asparagus grow in wild areas. It's mostly found in Europe or like on the coastline somewhere, and you'll most likely have to hunt down your own because it's rarely available fresh in markets except for in Italy and the south of France.
Speaker 4: No, wild asparagus is great, it's going to be. Uh, you do have to be as with anything that you're taking out of the out of the wild areas. You do want to be careful that you're getting wild asparagus. We are a couple of things because if you confuse it with something else, oh, I mean yeah you can can Yeah, you can get yourself. I'm trying to remember.
Speaker 5: Yeah, don't be like into the wild out here, like yeah.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, don't into the world yourself with a world asparagus. Samfa is another delicious vegetable. It's a bit like I think it's a relative of asparagus. It's like sea asparagus s a m p h ire.
Speaker 5: Wow, see asparagus.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so many little Yeah, fascinating. It's I think it's a maybe it's not a relative. Maybe it's just a like a seaweed. It's pretty good if you get it. That's one you can forage pretty easily. Nearly all seaweeds edible, So you know, if you're out and about.
Speaker 5: Good source of iodine, I'm sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well yeah, But.
Speaker 5: As with any plant, James, asparagus has its own ideas.
Speaker 3: It's called sea beans.
Speaker 4: Well, sorry, I'm just sorry, ten, I've ruined your episode sea beans? No, yes, what fucking Americans call it? What a stupid name?
Speaker 5: I mean, you do ruin moost things?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like, I don't know. It's a little two too straightforward. It's literally mentioned in king Lear Like, why do you have to change it? Shakespearean vegetable?
Speaker 5: M Well, today is about asparagus. Today, we're talking about asparagus. A sea bean maybe next time. But James, as with any plant, the asparagus has its own ideal growing conditions. So let's get into that. Where is an ideal growing condition for an asparagus? A good amount of sun is ideal. Asparagus needs at least eight hours of sun per day. And since asparagus is a long lived perennial plant. It should not be planted where trees or tall shrubs might eventually shade the plants or compete for nutrients and water. When it comes to the soil, the crown and root system can grow to a large size, which can be roughly five to six feet in diameter and ten to fifteen feet deep. Therefore, when possible, you should select a soil that is loose, deep, well drained, and fertile. On sites with poor soil, incorporate manure and compost into the soil and plant until under two successive cover crops the season before you plant your asparagus, and you should be just fine. Asparagus is planted in the spring. The simplest method is to plant one year old crowns and you lay down the ground soil prior to growing asparagus for the first time. And even though the young crown will appear to be a lifeless mass of roots, it will begin to send up small green shoots shortly after planting, so as I mentioned, asparagus is planted in the spring, but it's also one of the very first crops harvested during the spring season, and that means metaphorically, It represents the transition from the frozen winter months and its emphasis on root vegetables to the abundance and newness of spring. Yeah, asparagus for farmers can mean even more. Farmer Lee Jones from The Chef's Garden says quote, the farmer is an eternal optimist, always hoping that next year will be the year, the year when rain falls and exactly the right amounts at exactly the right times, that it's never too hot and never too cold, and the weather is exactly what we might wish. No season is ever perfect, of course, but try telling that to a farmer as he or she sits in front of a cozy fireplace in the wintertime, feet propped up, looking through seed catalogs and dreaming of spring. Winter refreshes us, and asparagus represents the hope of renewal and the optimism of what spring might bring. When it's time to begin harvesting asparagus, farmers smell the earth again, see the earthworms, and listen once again to the kill deer in the blackbirds. This portent of spring is a welcome celebration. Asparagus is a recurrent affirmation that winter is over and delicious treasures from the field are eminent. This man loves asparagus.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that is farmers. Apparently it's not my recollection of winter. This man has never been very wet, very cold.
Speaker 5: I suppose not.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, doing a Christmas lamming.
Speaker 5: I suppose you can think of asparagus as a very patient vegetable. It rests quietly underground, absorbing nutrients from the soil and remaining underground during the freezing winter months before it begins to push through the soil when it's warm in the springtime, and this again signals the start of the spring season. In nineteen fifty six, The New York Times published an article calling asparagus the healthy quote spring tonic for weary appetites. I just thought it was a fun facts. That's that's all for that. Asparagus can grow quite fast too. You can cut asparagus in the morning and it just keeps growing. And here's a fun fact for you. In ideal conditions, asparagus can grow ten inches in a twenty four hour period.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's crazy, that's fast. It takes a long time to get ready, right, it takes three years and then it just.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, look, it's definitely an investment of time for it to grow that way. But it sounds like it's worth it if you love asparagus, like farmer le Jones up there.
Speaker 4: Yeah he does, do yount another little vale of eves in factoid. Please The church in Bredfton has a stained glass window which is a glass of asparagus.
Speaker 7: No, it doesn't.
Speaker 4: It's a depiction of asparagus. I will find it for you.
Speaker 5: Sure like asparagus, says Jesus.
Speaker 4: No, it's just asparagus in the window. Oh like, it's not how it is.
Speaker 5: Not less weird. I don't know if that's less weirder or not.
Speaker 4: But I'm just gotta find it for you here. Well it's is grass underneath. I'll just drop it in the chat. Get a live react.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I had a little twine wrapped around it too.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, Well that's how you do a round of grass. Yeah, you do them in dozens, right, and then a dozen dozen you wrap around.
Speaker 5: That's that's a stained glass depiction of asparagus.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeahparagus is next to godliness.
Speaker 5: Oh I'm getting into why that might be the case. So just to reiterate how much patience and time you yourself need if you do want to plant asparagus, because although green asparagus is typically what's seen in grocery stores, it comes in all the colors that we said, But no matter what it is, it's important to protect the strength of the root or else it won't succeed in growing. And this is how gentle you need to be. First, you plant the three year old roots, and if the asparagus root is in its first year in growth, which is really then it's fourth, you should only pick it for one week because you don't want to zap the root strength. Then after two years, which would be really its fifth, you pick it only for two weeks. By the time it's four years old, which yes means that's a seven year total, then you can harvest it for longer amounts of time a good plant though, after all, this process can last up to twenty years, so it's important to let the young ones build up strength for the future. We mentioned this before James gave it away. But in Europe chefs almost always use the white asparagus, rarely the green ones, and this is because the white asparagus beautifully offers up the luscious notes apparently of corn and sweet cabbage, but European farmers. The reason why this is is that they mound and pack soil over the asparagus plants to blow the chlorophyll process, and this is the process that ends up creating the white color when you block it. And these plants need to push hard through the soil and because of that, they end up with tough outer skins that need to be peeled off, which is not the case with the green variety. And then this adds labor like expenses and time into the mix of harvesting it. And a lot of people think that this results in the most nutritional part of the vegetable being thrown away.
Speaker 4: So why, yeah, why you dan't get It's one of the things that wrong about.
Speaker 5: Here are some more fun facts. Chefs say that to enjoy the bright green flavor of asparagus, you salt your water before blanching, and then, since the ends of asparagus are extremely tough, the best way to prepare the asparagus is a snap the ends off, which you probably already know, but you usually can find a slight bend where it can be broken off and this will preserve the most asparagus possible.
Speaker 4: You want to have a good snap though. If it's like it is fun.
Speaker 5: When that happens, I like like a good satisfying snap sound.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's when you know it's a fresh one. If it's if it's got like a squeeze. If it was floppy, then it's probably it's been out for too long. You have to eat it very fresh. It's very important. They would drive out to London, get me in a really early morning, drive up to London and sell it to look at London people, of which I'm not one, and then they would have there it's very luxury vegetable.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is not a cheap vegetable.
Speaker 5: I'm going to get into the royalty of this vegetable that has been called the King of vegetables. But first we're going to take a break. So hm, go grab some asparagus and we'll be right back. And we're back, let's talk about some history of asparagus. The exact origins of asparagus are hard to pinpoint, although it is known to the eastern Mediterranean and parts of Asia. Asparagus can be found naturalized in many parts of the world today, and it is unclear exactly when it was naturalized how long the plant has been used as a medicinal vegetable is also uncertain, but it was known and highly prized by the Romans since at least two hundred BC. The Romans were apparently very knowledgeable about the difference in quality and the difference in varieties that they experimented with, and they knew the best places to grow the crop. The most popular way that the Romans enjoyed to prepare their asparagus was to pick it, let it dry, and then when they wanted to eat it, they would simply cook it for a few minutes. Ancient royalty seemed fascinated with asparagus. Roman emperor Caesar Augustus was said to have organized elite military units to search out this vegetable. He would then locate the fastest runners to take the fresh asparagus spears into the frozen alps for storage purposes. Ancient Greeks meanwhile harvested wild asparagus and connected this vegetable to their goddess of life of Aphrodite. Numerous other cultures have also considered this freshly sprouted asparagus a symbol of fertility, and so the history of asparagus goes back a very long long way, and speaking of the Greeks. The derivation of the word asparagus also gives us some idea of its early history. So asparagus was first cultivated some people think around twenty five hundred years ago in Greece, and this is significant because the word asparagus is a Greek word which means stock or shoot, and so it makes sense that the word is rooted in ancient Greek. But that word in ancient Greek is actually aspharagos, and it can be identified in various literature with two meanings. The first is found in Homer's Iliad, and it is used in this context to mean throat or gullet. The second place it's found, it's referred to as the edible shoots of stone or spirite. The Greeks believed asparagus was an herbal medicine, which, among other things, would cure toothaches and prevent beastings. We have seen reference to the fact that at one point this Greek word refer to the young edible shoots of any plant that shoots up from the earth, but we cannot verify this fact. So maybe in the area of ancient Greece known as Biotia, historians say that quote. After veiling the bride, they would put on her head a chaplet of asparagus. For this plant yields the finest flavored fruit from the roughest thorns. So the bride will provide him who does not run away or feel annoyed at her first display of peevishness or unpleasantness, a docile and sweet life together.
Speaker 4: Okay, Yeah, feminism alive. Well, yeah, I didn't know I was going to be suggesting an anti woke vegetable.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's a little bit of Returney.
Speaker 4: You don't have to be anti woke asparagus.
Speaker 5: No, you don't. You don't. Now, it's it's come a long way.
Speaker 4: It's come.
Speaker 5: Let's take back asparagus.
Speaker 4: We'll start there. It's like you have small steps.
Speaker 5: Other ancient cultures that apparently were obsessed with asparagus. The asparagus plant appeared in an Egyptian freeze about five thousand years ago, with Queen Nefertidi allegedly an asparagus fan. Archaeologists found traces of asparagus on dishware when they were excavating the Pyramid of Sakara, along with other coveted foods like figs and melons. Apparently, in the Egyptian culture, this vegtiable was considered sacred and use in religious ceremonies, and then in ancient China, honored guests were treated upon their arrivals with an asparagus foot bath.
Speaker 3: Don't either.
Speaker 5: Its uses are renowned and wide. About two thousand years ago, a poet in Latin language prose writer and Platonist philosopher named a Pelais fell in love with a well the widow named Pundentilla. Knowing he needed to pull out all the stops to get her, he wooed her with a special dish that contained asparagus along with crabtails, fish eggs, bird's tongue, and dove blood. He was accused of using magic charms to win her heart, and even though he successfully defended himself against his accusations, through this story we can clearly see there is certainly something magical about asparagus.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm concerned about crabtail.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: As I read that, I was like, as I read that, I was like, that's not a thing, But maybe it used to be. You know it, I'll be my next episode. Yeah, maybe that, maybe that's the case. Basically, a seafood little guy with fish eggs and crab also bird's tongue and dove blood.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a bit weighed. He loves me on that, to be honest.
Speaker 5: Yeah, romantic.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've assumed. Coming to the asparagus recipe section, not yet later in the podcast, I will let you proceed.
Speaker 5: Let me just assume through the rest of us really quick. When Emperor Charles the fifth of the powerful Habsburg Empire, decided to visit Rome, and he was live between fifteen hundred and fifteen fifty eight, he visited Rome without warning any one of his arrival. A sense of panic ensued because the emperor had arrived during a time of fasting. One clever cardinal sent cooks to work in creating three different asparagus recipes. They set the plates on perfumed cloths and offered the emperor three exquisite wines. He was said to praise the delicacies, and he was offered for years to come. And so for centuries people have talked about asparagus, and they've also included asparagus in their Eastern dinners because of its fast growth in the spring and how this can symbolize resurrection. The book quote a Curious History of Vegetables by Wolf D. Storl has numerous asparagus anecdotes to enjoy if you're into that sort of thing, and also contains this quote by modern day plant experts Fritz Martin Engel. And this quote effectively sums up the types of people who have appreciated asparagus over the centuries. Quote pharaohs, emperors, kings, generals and great spiritual leaders, princely poets like Gota and gormands like Brelant severan, all of them ate and eat asparagus with great enthusiasm. Let's get into the word. As I mentioned earlier, it comes from the Greek word asparagos. Gos is the end of that. So the word asparagus was eventually developed into the word asparagus in classical Latin, but then it was shortened to sparagus without the A in medieval Latin. According to the World of Wide Words, it first appeared in English around one thousand a d. And then by the sixteenth century it was commonly referred to an English as sperrich or sparage. At this point in time, similar to other English language developments, there was a reversion back to classical Latin roots that was encouraged by academics and herbalists, so asparagus came back into use with the A, but when it came to common use, the A was still dropped, and people called it asparagus, sparrograss, sparrowgrass, and then also just grass, which was another shortening that people still use today. After the demise of the Roman Empire, little is heard of regarding the history of asparagus for a while, but evidence suggests that asparagus was being grown in French monasteries in fourteen fifty nine, but then it's unheard of in England or Germany until the mid fifteen hundreds. By the sixteenth century, asparagus starts to appear in history books again, where a gained popularity in France and England. From there, the early colonists brought it to America. The French were the main exports of the crop at the time, and if you wanted to please the Son King aka King Louis the fourteenth of France, you can bring his second wife, Madame de Matin sorry a new asparagus recipe, and apparently that was very pleasing to him. She gathered them into a book and asparagus soup a la matinan is still prized today. Asparagus is also because of this called food of the Kings, and kinglu With the fourteenth was so fond of asparagus that he ordered special greenhouses built so we can enjoy asparagus all year round.
Speaker 4: Me and Louis the fourteenth just cometic on how me and Louis the fourteenth. Yeah, same dude, many ways love get asparagus.
Speaker 5: Res Oh you were like handshaking yourself.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I did not catch that. Yeah, got it.
Speaker 5: The medicinal virtues that are attributed to asparagus are a wide range. The roots, sprouts, and seeds were used as medicine. The fresh roots are a diuretic. A syrup made from the young shoots, and an extract of the roots has been recommended as a sedative in heart issues. Among Greeks and Romans. It is one of the oldest and most valued medicines. It was believed that if a person anointed himself with a liniment or liquid medicine made of asparagus and oil, that bees would not approach or sting him. I mentioned this kind of briefly earlier, but that's.
Speaker 2: How you do it.
Speaker 5: Don't get stung by a bee, coat yourself with asparagus juice. It was also believed that if the root is put on a tooth that aches violently, it causes it to fall out without any pain if you want that to happen. But how did the asparagus cross the Atlantic? There is little evidence of when exactly asparagus migrate over to the Americas, and again it's assumed that settlers brought it over along with other vegetables at the time. It's believed that in the seventeen hundreds it was planted initially in New England, and then by the eighteen fifties it had found its way to North California. There is early evidence, based on seed catalogs, of the crop being sold on a commercial level in the early eighteenth century in eastern parts of the country. While asparagus, as we mentioned earlier is a thing and it's seen as early as the nineteenth century, it can be growing along the East Coast in scattered locations and across temperate North America, and apparently thirty six states have reported to have wild asparagus. Another kingly reference of asparagus is apparently in Germany. Asparagus was called Spargl. Spargol took cold in Germany around Stuttgart in the sixteenth century, and around the same time it was already being taking off from the UK. Initially, it was grown exclusively for the royal court, earning its nickname connexumus muse. Connexum muse it basically means royal vegetable. And there are two primary growing regions in Germany where asparagus is in abundance. One of them is Schwitzwingen and it's where Karl Theodore, Prince elector, started a green asparagus growing competition among the princes in the seventeenth century, and then the other region, Schrobenhausen. It's also steeped in asparagus history and houses the European Asparagus Museum. That's a thing, an asparagus museum. You know what else might have a museum. All of these ads one day probably not buy what's in city, dads, and we're back, Okay, James.
Speaker 4: I do think it's.
Speaker 5: Fairly interesting that there's an asparagus museum in Europe. But I also think it's interesting that you literally grew up in a town that have an asparagus mascot can you please explain this to me as someone who does not know what that means?
Speaker 4: I can I can explain a little bit of the asparagus mascot. So I live in at Evesham when I grew up. Evesham of course give its name to the veyl Avivsham, which is the area where asparagus. It was actually the last British product to get a protected origin status from the European Union before Britain terminally fucked its economy by leaving the European Union. And so it's this area around the velevition. You can't call it relevition asparagus unless from Elvisham. I've just learned that the little purple tips on the spears, that's not normal. Apparently that's just an evel Aviv Sham.
Speaker 5: So that's a place. But I understand it's BRITI that's.
Speaker 4: Why it's in Worcestershire. So not not made up, you just uh, just it's Worcestershire. By the way, is how you pronounce Workshire. No people fucking But it's one of those words like it is.
Speaker 5: I didn't actually think that was what it was called, but I would actually maybe mispronounce.
Speaker 7: Probably.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it seems like one of those words that really flummocks is the American mind. So yeah, I grew up nevel Avievsham and in Develovievshim we grow a lot of asparagus and very proud of it. So we have an asparagus festival if you want to get really like hokey and English, which people in England do be loving to do, especially people of a certain ethnicity that like, do you generally pick asparagus from Saint George's Day to Midsummer's Day?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: Saint George is the patrons of England and Catalonia. So if you want to get really sort of parochial about it, you can get a little nationalistic on the asparagus. I think most people don't. But it started in Evesham. Evesham used to have an asparagus festival. We have little mascot right dressed as and asparagus as.
Speaker 5: You do, like literally a man in an asparagus outfit, like walking around.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So there have been two generations. The first one I think we've mentioned the purple tips and that it just looks like a dick. He looked a lot like a day he looked like a ganger and us penis, I.
Speaker 5: Mean fertility was known for that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this one didn't look fertile. This one look best avoided. If I'm honest, I looked like they retired him in two thousand and they and we're faced in with gusty asparagus man who, if I mines, doesn't look as asparagusy because they've given him sort of a flower tip, like.
Speaker 5: A broccoli looking thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it looks a bit like a wheat, kind of weedy, kind of mapley. It's not full asparagus. There's also an asparagus fairy. I've seen. I've not personally come across the asparagus fairy, but I've seen that into fairy. Yeah, you want to let me disdrop this in the Yeah, he told me about the fucking fairy. It's just a non stop learning journey for hery.
Speaker 5: Insane first the stained glass, but I still can throughout the thing.
Speaker 4: Wow, yeah y'all what? Yeah, Well, maybe we'll make this the the.
Speaker 3: Image for the image.
Speaker 5: This is a great image.
Speaker 4: It's a classic image. Yes, you've got a man dressed as King Saint George, not King George.
Speaker 5: Different faces onto that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that would be great it it'll be highly entertaining. So yeah, you can, you can go now. I think it's in Bredford, yet it is in Breadforton where you can have the Asparagus Festival. And what the festival is is like the first auction of asparagus, right, and then they'll auction that off for a local cause. Normally the first you know, the first full bundle of asparagus verus round it's called, and that will immediately get brought up by someone. People buy hundreds of pounds for it. Wow, and then they rush it off to their restaurant in London, right, and they make it for their fancy people to pay fancy money for this fancy vegetable. Famously, Famously, I perhaps overstated that Gus the Asparagus Man was refused entry to the Houses of Parliament in the United Kingdom maybe maybe ten fifteen years ago now because it's costume primented a security risk. Wow.
Speaker 5: Wait okay, as someone who's had asparagus in an asparagus town, and also here is there a difference in taste?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, definitely. Fresh asparagus is a lot better when you get it in American shops. It's very woody like. It doesn't have that I would describe raw asparagus where it's fresh. You know when you get peas and you've grown peas, you're having the peas. Yeah, so it has that. Yeah, love a fresh pea. So it's got that kind of you can take that however you want. It's got that kind of pea freshness and sweetness to it.
Speaker 5: That's really good.
Speaker 4: It is really good, Scharene. That's why we have a whole thing about it.
Speaker 5: How good asparagu It's not gonna lie.
Speaker 4: I'm going to grow some.
Speaker 5: I don't seek it out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we'll go on a world tour. We'll doe there'll be a nice combination. Actually, you're going to see chin asparagus. So what you're doing with the asparagus, right, you cut it and you just get its hand cut right. You're not going through like a combine harvester to do this. You're going through the little knife, serrated knife sharp on the back side. You just cutting the stalks and you immediately you level them off right at the base, so you sort of so that the point to tips are level, and then you just cut across the base. So some of them are going to have more of the woody white bass than others. The parts the green part has been above. The toy on in the white puts below right right. So you're doing them. You get you're around or you get your have many sparagus, you're getting right. You get it very fresh. Often when at least when we were buy it, we would just buy it like from farm shops or by the side of the road. We never grew it because it was just like a lot You could get a lot more from just doing other vegetables. But you'd buy it the day it was harvested, and then you drive it home immediately put it into boiling water just briefly, right, and then you pop it out and you don't need to cook it for very long if it's good, if you don't want to cook it for very long rate, just just softening it a little bit. And then if you have it with there's original way to have it. It's with butter, which kind of you know, does away with the cereal cholesterol benefit. Nice to dip in a in a soft.
Speaker 5: Boiled and curious. I mean, the health stuff was just like a fun ti bit. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's do you know how you want?
Speaker 4: Yeah, have it. However, you want dip it in a in a soft boiled egg where you were you boil the egg, but the yolk is still run dip the asparagusy in Yeah, never even part of that cambo. Yeah, it's a good one. It's lots of uh what's a good childhood memories or asparagus in the egg? Yeah, lots of fun ways to eat it. Other things about the vale of vives from asparagus. Yeah, he Gussy the asparagus man. He visited the I.
Speaker 5: Want to repeat that. He's called Gus. Sorry, Gus the asparagus man.
Speaker 4: Sorry, he visited the European Parliament where he read and there is uh true. Will I see a video of this? Actually, Sreen, I think it would be good for you.
Speaker 5: Oh gosh, So.
Speaker 4: Here's a video of Gusty asparagus man in the European Parliament reading a poem. England is crazy one of them more like pro oh god, yeah, now you want to listen to it as well.
Speaker 5: The Great and Noble Asparagus.
Speaker 4: Sorry, I'm sorry he's doing it again. He's reading a poem about asparagus, that's correct.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 4: And then he's making a joke about about cider another great more of a Hereford product than another great local product. But yeah, yeah, I come from the home home of Gussie asparagus man. I've enjoyed many many asparaguy. It's nice when we have really miserable like January, February even into March in the UK is miserable. Like we get much shorter days, right because a bit of being further north, it rains a lot, Like we don't get winters like American cold places where you get like dry or like snowy kind of winters. We just get like right around freezing and raining a lot of the time, which is the worst weather that is possible to have. And it's just fucking miserable. So like when you're having the asparagus, it's like a nice sign days. Our summer days are really long as well, so you're getting these nice long summer days. You're like starting to get like it comes after what they call the hungry gap, right that time in like February March where you're not getting as many of your fresh vegetables sort of the time when you're not really harvesting very much, so you've only got like your storage stuff, right, your apples and potatoes, and so after that you get your asparagus. It's the start of your spring vege. So it's a nice little, nice little celebration of springtime.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I didn't know anything about asparagus other than it made your pea smell until this episode.
Speaker 4: Son't even make your pea smell. Would say, is that the asparagene.
Speaker 5: Well, okay, asparagus is your pea smell because what asparagus is digested, asparagustic acid gets broken down into sulfur containing byproducts, and sulfur smells like eggs and also apparently can smell like pea because sulfur in general is not pleasant to the smell. And then when you peet, these byproducts evaporate almost immediately, and this is what you this is what causes you to smell that very unpleasant scent.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you could tell if someone's find out the asparagus.
Speaker 5: I thought the answer is usually sulfur when it comes to food and smells.
Speaker 4: Yeah it is. Yeah, bad eggs too.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I want to end this episode with just a tale of a town in the US where it had their of king asparagus.
Speaker 4: I want to just wow, Okay, I want to talk about this for a moment.
Speaker 5: It was once the biggest US producers of asparagus. Less than a century ago, the town of Aiken, South Carolina, was known as one of the asparagus capitals of the US. From the mid eighteenth through the mid twentieth centuries, cotton was the South's predominant crop, and Aichen was no exception to this. Just before the Civil War, cotton comprised nearly sixty percent of all American exports. The phrase King Cotton which was made famous by then Senator and then future Governor James Henry Hammond. He implied that the European industry depended heavily on Southern cotton. He owned the Redcliffe Plantation in Beach Island, Aikin County. Enslaved people obviously provided the labor for cotton cultivation, and so him, along with scores of other plantation owners. He hoped that buyers of Southern cotton would fight against the blockade enacted by Lincoln's federal forces, and Southerners, because of this, were certain that their cotton exports were so crucial that Europeans would surely back the South in the event of a Civil war. Spoiler alert that did not happen, and then by eighteen sixty five, the outcome of the Civil War had planters looking at their commercial ventures in a new way. Farmers broke their dependence on cotton, and they desperately tried to find and locate another king crop. A variety of crops could thrive in the warm, sandy soil of Achen. The first reference to asparagus being grown as a commercial crop in South Carolina can be found in a nineteen oh three pamphlet called Asparagus Its Culture for Home and for Market. According to the pamphlet, the crop was first grown commercially in Charleston, where farmers produced a specific variety called palmetto. It was cultivated especially to flourish in the southern climate, and soon this specialized variety spread into a Bacon, Williston, and Bamberg counties. By nineteen eighteen, the Clemson University Department of Agricultural Economics reported that the state had about eleven hundred acres of asparagus under cultivation. Fast forward to nineteen thirty seven, this number increased to eighty seven hundred acres. So area residents enjoyed their share of fresh asparagus, but most of it was sent to New York City, Philadelphia, and Washington, d c. From the nineteen twenties through the mid nineteen fifties, asparagus was gathered daily and shipped by train to its northern destinations. Shippers often wrapped the delicate spears and Spanish moss gathered from the live oak trees that abounded the city. The crop flourished commercially for almost thirty years until production slowed down in nineteen fifty three. World War II may have lessened the workforce available to farm the crop, or perhaps the marketing success from the California competitors was more effective than South Carolina's. It is also possible let the varieties grow an Achen and the surrounding areas were more susceptible to diseases that weakened the crops, and so although several farms near Achen still grow asparagus, according to aichinregional dot com, the reign of King Asparagus is over.
Speaker 2: It's sad.
Speaker 4: Yeah not here, still king in my heart.
Speaker 5: I just thought that was a funny little tail, but yeah, that's asparagus for you. Thank you, James for motivating this knowledge.
Speaker 4: That I now have it's okay. Take that, carry that with you for the rest of your life. Use it wisely.
Speaker 5: Thank you, and yeah, that's this episode of it could happen here Until next time, I don't.
Speaker 3: Know to sleep.
Speaker 8: Bye, hello, and welcome back to it could happen here. I'm your occasional host, Molly Conger, and it's just me today. But I've got a weird one for you now. I don't know if you remember, but a few months ago I did an episode about a ring of Hitler loving zoom bombers running a national campaign to disrupt public meetings. Those guys were mostly members of the Goyam Defense League, an anti Semitic group of freaks who just love getting a rise out of people. They were calling themselves the City Council Death Squad, and they've disrupted hundreds of virtual public meetings from coast to coast over the last year, everything from zoning boards in New Jersey to city council meetings in California, even dipping their toe into messing with online meetings of alcoholics anonymous. They mostly seem motivated by their insatiable need to force strangers to hear them say the N word. But I do think they understand that their behavior limits people's access to local government. Many of the cities they targeted responded by ending virtual participation in government meetings. That means fewer people participate. It's harder to engage with local government, and people just generally feel less safe and less motivated to pursue the kinds of redress available to them through local democracy. And I'm glad we did the episode. I heard from people in maybe a dozen cities all over the country who found the episode online when they were trying to figure out what the hell happened at their own meeting and the guy's doing it. Liked the episode so much that now they use my name when they call into meetings to scream slurs, which is a less positive outcome, But what can you do. I assume if the mayor of Redlands, California googles me, he'll figure out I wasn't the one doing Holocaust denial at his meeting. But overall, this seems like the kind of thing that will be prosecute able, especially considering we know the real names of many of the group's ringleaders. Well, someone has finally been indicted for orchestrating hateful zoom bombing and virtual city council meetings. But it isn't them, It's something much, much weirder. Last month, FEDS unsealed an indictment against a man named Mohammad al Hashemi. He's a Syrian national from Albania currently living in England, and according to the federal prosecutor, he was the mastermind behind a zoom bombing ring that targeted the Fresno City Council in the summer of twenty twenty. He's been charged with one count of engaging in repeated harassing communication, one count of engaging in anonymous telecommunications harassment, three counts of a classic eighteen USC. Eight seventy five C transmitting threatening communications, and one count of conspiracy for doing all of the above. Right, So there's a conspiracy, and then those other charges represent the over acts of that conspiracy. Now, again, I'm not a lawyer. I'll tell you that every time. I don't know all the laws, and so this is the first time I'm realizing that harassing someone by phone is a federal crime. I mean, it makes sense, right, of course, that's illegal at the federal level too. I just didn't think about that the last time we were talking about zoom bombing. I mean, the obvious charge is interstate threats. If you make a threat using a phone, the internet, or the mail, that's federal territory. But prosecutors are sometimes a little gun shy about threats. They want a slam dunk case. They want a true threat, right, something that is undeniably an actual threat, before they'll bring a case like that. So I thought they'd have to get a little creative if they wanted to indict zoom bombers. But if you're just talking about harassing phone calls, it's actually pretty straightforward to bring a federal case against the guys doing this. So two of the charges of the indictment are for different subsections of forty seven USC. Two twenty three Obscene or harassing phone calls. Subsection A one C is making a telephone call or utilizing a telecommunications device, right, So that means it doesn't have to be a literal telephone. It can be a zoom call. It can be in any kind of telecommunications device like text message, et cetera. Whether or not conversation or communication ensues, which means you know, repeated harassing hang up calls.
Speaker 7: Count two.
Speaker 8: You don't even have to say anything without disclosing his identity and with the intent to abuse, threatn or harass a specific person, So this subsection is specific to the fact that they were using fake names. And then subsection A one E is making repeated telephone calls or repeatedly initiating communication with the telecommunications device during which conversation or communication ensues solely to harass any specific person. Both of those counts carry a maximum sentence of two years, and they're usually just punished with a fine, not that serious. The other counts are a little more serious. Interstate threatening communications can get you up to five years per count, and some of these calls had some pretty violent language. I'm interested to see how they move forward with the threats, though the actual intent or ability to carry out a threat doesn't necessarily matter if the person the threat was made to was in reasonable fear from it, but I'm sure we'll see It argued that he was in Albania he never planned to go to Fresno to hurt people. The obvious counter to that, though, is that he did literally say he was in Fresno, and there was no obvious indication to the victims that that wasn't true, and he's also charged with conspiracy. The indictment refers multiple times to unnamed co conspirators, so this isn't just one guy making racist, praying phone calls. This is an organized and intentional conspiracy to engage in harassment and threats.
Speaker 4: That conspiracy is a little grim.
Speaker 8: The FBI in the UK's Metropolitan Police Force did find an interview at least nine members of the group they're saying Alhacemi was leading, and the reason they aren't named is because they are children. The children interviewed by the FBI had pretty consistent accounts. Once there was a federal agent in their living room telling their mom about the Albanian Nazi they'd been chatting with on roadblocks. Okay, not exactly roadblocks, that's a little hyperbolic, but the raids were coordinated on a platform called Gilded, which is kind of like Discord and is owned by the same company as Roadblocks, so it's mostly used by gamers to talk about gaming, but also apparently for doing federal crimes. But the kids all said the group's leaders were users named Encino. That's i ns e E n O, not in Sino like Incino. Man the poly Shore movie and Sapper. Many of the kids correctly ascertained that Encino, the user FEDS have identified as Al Hashemi, was older than they were and European, but spoke English very well. I went back and pulled the public access TV recordings of some of those meetings and listened to the calls attributed to Alhachemi, and he really doesn't have an accent that I could hear. You know, you don't got a hand it to him or anything. But he does say the N word like a red blooded American racist, so I guess he had some practice. The kid, interviewed by the Metropolitan Police Service at his parents' house in London, said that Sapper was a college student in the United Arab Emirates, although in the footnotes the FBI agent indicates that actually Sapper is in Jordan, but you know, close enough for a teenager. I can't find any information about whether or not charges are being pursued against that user, either in the US or in Jordan. He isn't identified by name at all, but he does appear to be the only other adult discussed in that document. The English teenager said Sapper loves spamming, the calls they raid with isis gore videos. The criminal complaint details seven incidents of zoom raids in June and July of twenty twenty five of which were meetings of the Presno City Council. One was a Jewish religious service conducted by Zoom in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and the other was some random couple's wedding in upstate New York. But the incidents described in detail in the complaint are clearly not the only ones that happened, just the only ones being charged at this time. When FBI agents interviewed a thirteen year old boy in Oregon, he told them the group's leader also enjoyed zoom bombing parent teacher conferences, specifically at schools that had had past active shooter events. The boy said, Encino again, that's al Hachemi, according to the complaint, loves to offend people and talks about racist things more than anyone else. But you know who doesn't love to offend people. The sponsors of this show.
Speaker 4: And we are back.
Speaker 8: I hope you enjoyed those products and services. Hopefully none of them were. Four online chat platforms where European neo Nazis are recruiting your kids, all right, So all these criminal charges here are related to conduct that occurred in the span of less than five weeks four full years ago. But for as long as it took to actually indict Alhacemi, it looks like the FEDS acted pretty quickly. After the first few threats were made. They were sitting at the dining room table talking to a kid identified as RB by August twenty seventh, barely two months after the call started. RB is described as a juvenile with a history of making threats who lives in Spartanburg, South Carolina. Obviously, it's impossible to identify this minor, and probably not a good idea to do even if I could, But I am dying to know what exactly that history of threats looks like. I found a couple of news stories in the year or two before this about teens in the Spartanburg area who'd been arrested for making threats. Now, Obviously, again, even in those news stories, if a miner is arrested and are identified, so there's no way to sort of connect these two unnamed teens. But I did find a story about a ninth grader who posted a snapchat on the day of the Parkland school shooting in twenty eighteen, I was a photo of the teenager holding a realistic fake gun with the caption round two of Florida tomorrow. Again, it's impossible to say if there's any connection, but the general age, location, and interest in school shootings definitely caught my eye. Another member of the group, identified as a miner named CG in North Caldwell, New Jersey, sometimes used the name Adam Lanza during the zoom raids, an homage to the Sandy Hook school shooter, and when the FBI was chatting with RB on August twenty seventh, he told him about another user in the discord who posted often about his desire to carry out a school shooting and wanting to kill a Few days after that, the FBI agents were sitting down with that thirteen year old boy and his parents in Oregon. That boy, identified as PM, told the agents that Encino wasn't just interested in zoom bombing, but the group also dosed people, naming a bizarre list of targets ranging from Jewish leaders to yoga teachers and cooking classes. PM also told the agents that Encino had docksed a former member of the group, a girl identified in a footnote as LT, after a disagreement over whether or not they should be using so many racial slurs in the prank phone calls. Now I know, I said it wasn't possible or even advisable to try to identify these miners, but it turns out it is possible, and she's not a miner anymore.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 8: Maybe the rule is if you're old enough to drive drunk, you're old enough to get talked about on a podcast. She's got a court date coming up for a DUI arrest in April. The girl identified as LT was docked by the group's leader in July twenty twenty, when she was just sixteen, and we only have that thirteen year old as firing school shooter's word for it as to why she left the group. Maybe it is possible that she disagreed with the racial slur heavy call scripts, but I don't think that's because she's not a huge fan of racism. She shows up that same year in leaked discord chats from the servers Groper Haven and Nick Fuentes Unofficial, both servers for fans of Nick Quente's She identifies herself as a paleo conservative, Christian monarchist and claims to know Nick Quentez. Then another user asked her if she likes Nick.
Speaker 2: She says, yeah, he's cool, but she takes issue with the fact.
Speaker 8: That he wants to marry a white woman because he is, in her eyes, not white, and says whites are better than any other race and we need to stay inside of our own race. A few sort of vestigial stitches of videos with her now banned TikTok account show her in a Trump shirt and Maga hat giving the camera this weird Kubrick stare as. The text girls that think communists should be jailed appears over her head. You know, kids will be kids, right, Just classic kids stuff, wanting to imprison your political enemies and being really opposed to race mixing.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 8: Last summer, she gave a speech about canceled culture to the Burkes County Patriots, an anti government extremist group that sent charter buses to the insurrection, and public records show she received a stipend as a legislative intern at the Pennsylvania House of Representatives. The teenage Groper to legislative Aid pipeline is something that should concern us all a little bit more. But doxing LT seems to have frightened some of the other kids. PM that's thirteen year old in Oregon told agents he was worried the group would dox him if he tried to leave BO. A minor in North Carolina told agents he believed in Sino had access to his computer by a spyware. AM, a seventeen year old in Maryland, provided agents with screenshots showing in Sino had posted his address and discussed having him swatted. And this is such a messy, ugly thing, right, So first of all, the are kids. They're kids, right, One of them is as young as thirteen, and that has to be front of mind in all of this. But even if they lack the frontal lobe capacity to really understand the consequences of saying you're going to kill someone, this isn't just normal kid acting out behavior, right. PM told other users he wanted to shoot up his school. AM posted often about wanting to build bombs and blow things up and expressed a lot of interest in isis. They were all calling into these meetings and saying the most shocking, upsetting things they could think of, and it's not one hundred percent clear why right, Like they didn't all necessarily have the same motivations or understandings. A teenager identified as kh told agents the goal is to create such a disturbance that the hosts have no choice but determinate the meeting. Hurting people's feelings along the way is completely in bounds, and the slurs were just a means to that end. He said they would quote just have fun in there. Am told agents he was just posting quote random things, but he also admitted he hates Jews, and so maybe it's a meaningless exercise to try to nail down exactly how ideologically committed these teens were to this project of racial and religious harassment. But Ala Sheemi is also not the first Nazi to see the value in recruiting teens online. They may just be kids talking shit right now, but if you hear a kid talking this type of shit, don't brush it off right This starts somewhere, This edgy, shocking, un serious sort of four chan style racism crystallizes into serious ideological commitment for some of them. And I hope these kids' parents were able to provide some meaningful intervention after they found out what their kids were up to online. And back to that timeline, right, So the indictment only lists the June twenty twenty calls as the overt acts of the conspiracy, but the date range for the charge conduct is actually May twenty twenty to February twenty twenty two, and maybe that means they plan to introduce additional evidence of other calls to support the conspiracy claim. It's hard to say. They're being pretty tight lipped about it. Reporting by Jason Koebler for four or four Media says the Department of Justice declined to comment on the possibility of anyone else being charged, and the criminal complaint goes into some detail by interviewing multiple cooperative miners, But it is possible the records they got back from these various platforms led them to other co conspirators who are old enough to catch a federal charge. There are a lot of details missing here that we'll just have to wait for. The docket shows that Alihemi has retained an attorney. I assume they wouldn't have unsealed the indictment if they didn't have him in custody, but there's no information available at when or where he was arrested, and how that extradition is coming along. And it's interesting to me how incredibly similar the mo is in this case to the ring led by the Gham Defense League.
Speaker 3: Guys.
Speaker 8: I mean, it's not exactly a complicated plan. It's not hard to believe that racists who never met each other would end deependently arrive at the same gross way of bothering people. But take for example, one of the incidents in the indictment. The man that they alleged was Alhahemi called into the Fresno City Council meeting on June eleventh, twenty twenty. During public comment. He pretended to be a local resident named Brian, and he started off pretty normal, saying, you know, I agree with the previous speaker. He's sort of indicating that he's interested in and engaged in the topic of the meeting. He expresses an opinion about the topic at hand, which happened to be police funding, and then suddenly he pivots to a violent call for murder of black residence and repeatedly uses the N word. And so after that call ends, the council's on high alert for disruptive callers, so subsequent members of the group don't bother with a script or a backstory. They just start shouting slurs the second they connect until they're booted from the call.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 8: So in this case, the caller after fake Brian was that miner from South Carolina, And when his call connects, you can hear him laughing, and he just says the N word and they hang up on him. I don't know, maybe I'm two hung up on the structural similarities here. I guess that's just classic crank call procedure, right. You start off with the reasonable ruse, You get the person you've called to believe this is a real normal phone call, and then you shock and upset them by making a hard right turn into the I guess you can't really call it a punchline if it's not funny, but you know what I mean. But if you took the names out of this indictment, you could mistake these descriptions of calls for city Council death squad scripts. But they didn't start doing their zoom bombing until the summer of twenty twenty three, and according to this indictment, the FBI agents were having uncomfortable conversations with teenage boys all the way back in twenty twenty. So I think if there was any overlap between these two zoom bomb rings, we'd know by now. I think this is just unrelated racists reaching the same horrible conclusion. But if those guys are listening, I hope they hear the significance of that timeline. Within weeks of that first zoom bomb. In this indictment, they had search warrants for the homes of two of the miners on those calls. I think a lot of people assume that if they don't get caught, they aren't going to get caught. You see that a lot on tax evasion cases. Right after you do it a few years in a row, you figure they're never going to get you, so you keep doing it. You get a little bolder, But they're just taking their time and building their case. Just because you haven't been caught yet, does it mean they don't know you're doing it?
Speaker 4: So who knows.
Speaker 8: Maybe we'll see a similar indictment against the GDL guys a few years after they started doing it. There's not really a button to put on this one. We'll have to wait for more filings than Al Hashemi's case to learn anything more there, But if you know any teenagers, check in with them, make sure they're actually playing roeblocks and not being coaxed into doing federal crime by a Nazi in Albania. You know what better yet, go outside, unplug your router, be free.
Speaker 2: First, no matter what happens, to breathe. It's always good advice to breathe, But taking good advice is easier said than done. Sometimes the world is so overwhelming that any added weight, even the weight of oxygen in your lungs, feels like it might be enough to drag you down. This is one of those times. The last week has brought about ten years worth of news, and we are all processing the seemingly inevitable coronation of a dictator and the sudden hope and possibility inspired by Joe Biden's stepping down from the nomination Welcome to It could happen here. I'm Robert Evans, and this is a podcast about things falling apart and sometimes about how to put them back together. The last time I sat down to talk with all of you like this was in the immediate aftermath of the Trump assassination attempt just before the Republican National Convention. I told you not to panic. That's still good advice. I also told you that no matter how bad or good things may look, literally anything can happen in US politics, and by god, it has. I felt it was necessary to deliver that message because I saw an awful lot of people declaring We're doomed. Fascism is inevitable, and quite frankly, I think shit like that only helps the fascists. Well, it turned out I was right. A lot has happened over the last two weeks, and the situation now is very different than it was the day the former president took that grazing blow from a sniper's bullet. As is usually the case and instances like this, I've had a lot of people reach out to me since that episode, saying versions of how did you know? And as good as it might be for my career to lean into that side of my reputation, the truth is that I am white knuckling it through every twist and turn like everyone else. I spent the RNC wondering if I'd been foolish telling people not to panic, and yes, I feel a hell of a lot better right now. Of course, I don't know what comes next. I just know that we're done with the portion of this mess where we spiral in a hopeless mire That was last week. This week, the outlook is a lot better. And not because Kamala Harris is our savior or because Nancy Pelosi is a three D chess master, but because men age and die. This is a fact I tried to remind myself of as I'd grown through that disastrous debate with the rest of the country. On one hand, I felt like we were all about to watch one ailing, power hungry man hand the keys to the kingdom over to a cadre of bloodthirsty fascists. But on the other hand, there's always something inherently optimistic in this simple reality. The people who would be our rulers will all die someday, and so long as men die, liberty will never perish. So long as men die, we have hope. I stole that line from Charlie Chaplin. He put it in the mouth of his character from The Great Dictator, a movie he produced at great personal cost in nineteen forty riot. As Hitler and the Nazis reached the apex of their power. A rational analyst staring out at the playing field after the fall of France, could be forgiven for having seen the outcome as certain Great Britain stood alone, Hitler's armies victorious on every theater, and the future of democracy and human liberty gasping for breath. One such rational analyst was Joseph Kennedy, US ambassador to Great Britain and patriarch of the Kennedy family. Joseph was a man of wealth and power, whose sober judgment and cunning had seen him short the entire US stock market, and the kind of fortune that let him buy his way into the ranks of global royalty. He was a man who had predicted the future once one big, and he let that convince him that he had the second sight. And so in November nineteen forty, less than a month after the release of the Great Dictator, Kennedy found himself in an interview with the Boston Globe, looking out at the ruin of Europe and the bombs falling on London. He told a reporter, democracy is finished in England. It may be here here, of course, being the United States. Now. The resulting blowback to all of this saw Kennedy force to resign his ambassadorship. The very next year, Hitler invaded the the Soviet Union, and for several brutal months it looked like Joe had been right. Not only might democracy be finished, but every system besides fascism might be hurtling towards annihilation and bondage under the Swastika, depending on how you count it. The Third Reich and fascism as a whole, reached its greatest extent of territorial power in either mid August or September nineteen forty one. By November of nineteen forty one, a year after Joe Kennedy's remarks to the Globe, Operation Barbarossa had been wrenched to a bloody halt, and the long battle to push the fascists back and drown them in the waters of their birth had begun. And so in the end it was Charlie Chaplin, not Joe Kennedy, who had the proper measure of things. Liberty survived because men died, many millions of them, from Kiev to Canterbury. We live in very different times now. The armies of fascism are not primarily conquering land under arms. The primary terrain of our present conflict exists within the hearts and souls of men and women. And while populism is still a favorite mechanism of action among the fascists, they have in this country at least given up on victory by sheer weight of numbers. It's true what they say, war never changes. Weapons do, But the core of all human conflict revolves around the capture and denial of territory. If you can't occupy ground yourself, you must at least deny it to the enemy. In infantry combat, this is the primary use of a machine gun, not to kill people, but to blanket an area in bullets and stop the enemy from moving through it. In our modern war of thoughts and feelings, the machine gun has yielded to the fire hose of propaganda and disinformation. These have always been parts of the fascist arsenal, but the Internet has allowed an increase in the scale and speed of their deployment that is very much comparable to the replacement of bolt action rifles with automatic ones. The forces of basic human decency have a natural advantage in terms of human terrain that should be impossible for the fascists to counter, no matter what the bastards say, most people want to be left alone with the people they love to live their lives. The forces of hate, the people who want to throw trans kids in their parents in gas chambers and drown migrants in the Rio Grande tap out at a little over a third of the population max. If you want to return to World War II metaphors, and why wouldn't you? The monsters are stuck in tiny, landlocked Germany without any gas or steel. The only way for them to access the resources in territory they need to maneuver themselves into a victory is by cutting us off from each other and keeping us too confused and divided to surround the bastards and smother them all for good. They do this by convincing you that you are isolated, alone and surrounded by them. Our hopelessness is their force multiplier. When leftists in the US look out at Ukrainians struggling for survival and write them off as Nazis, as diluted tools of imperialism, When liberals in blue cities to cry college students protesting on behalf of dying Palestinian children as agents of Hamas, the lines of solidarity between a snap rather than wrapping like a garret around the throats of our opponents. This is why you've seen so much allegiance and sympathy between the cruelest and most deluded segments of the Western left. The people who laughed at Syrian civilians sheltering from Bushah al Assad's bombs and called them the CIA and the agents of Putin's Russia and Peter Teal's neo monarchist right. The Teals, Bannons, Putin's Airdoins, Trumps and Modis of the world know how lonely they are. The only way they can win is to convince you that you're alone. Then they have you at a disadvantage. Then they can kill us one by one. You know, there's no smooth way to transition to an ad and a piece like this, But here it is. We're back now. I'm not a young man, but I do sometimes the think of humanity as a single, vast, gestalt organism groping for survival and comfort in a world that mostly exists beyond what we can see. Majority of people are happy existing as part of that vast whole. We take comfort and safety in our communion with the rest of the species. But there are a few diseased minds out there that don't believe in the rest of us. These sollipsists see themselves as the only minds, and the perpetuation of their own power and will as the only real good. That's why men like Peter Teel seek physical immortality, and it's why men like Vladimir Putin or Hitler seek the kind of immortality that comes from welding the edifice of a nation state to themselves. Hitler is Germany, and Germany will last forever. Elon Musk sees his children as an extension of himself, and his fantasies of space colonization are really just a fantasy that he will remain central to humanity's future down through eternity. Musk has repeatedly identified himself as a pro natalist, and he believes his responsibilities to have as many children as possible to secure a pro human future. The term pro human might confuse you, given the lack of concern he has for the children being bombed in Gaza or who will surely die in the mass deportation camps through a publican party is currently salivating to open. But the only real human Elon sees is himself, which is why he equates the survival of the species with his own ability to breed. As I type, this video has begun circulating around the Internet from an interview Musk conducted with Jordan Peterson for The Daily Wire. In it, Musk explains why he has now fully embraced politics, endorsing Donald Trump and declaring himself at war with wokeism, which he describes as an existential threat to the species. He claims that what cinched this for him was his daughter deciding to transition.
Speaker 6: It happened to one of my older boys where I was essentially tricked into signing documents for one of my older boys.
Speaker 2: There was a lot of confusion, and.
Speaker 6: You know, I was told, oh, you know, might commit suicide if it's incredibly evil, And I agree with you that people that have been promoting this should go to president. So I was, I was straight into doing this. You know, it wasn't explained to me that puberty blocks are actually just sterilization drugs.
Speaker 2: So I lost my son essentially.
Speaker 6: So you know they they quote dead naming for a reason. Yeah, right, So the reason it's quote dead naming is because so my son is dead, killed by the Wok mind virus.
Speaker 2: Musk's child is not in fact dead, but they have expressed an identity utterly separate from Elon, an identity he cannot understand. Because Musk can only see his children as an extension of himself and his ego. This is in fact worse than death. It is a threat to Musk's own life. This, incidentally, is why Musk and his fellow travelers see transgender kids as such a threat. Accepting a trans child, even if you don't fully understand how and why they feel the way they do, is one of the most radical acts of love imaginable. To do this means that you've accepted, on a fundamental level that your children are autonomous beings, not an extension of you, but something new, wonderful, and unique. The essence of parental love is to give your children to the world. This means accepting that you are finite that the world goes on without you. If you see all humanity as an extension of your own ego, nothing could be more frightening. The people who feel this way, people like Elon, are mutations, a glitch in the human system that starts as a glitch within the heart of an individual. It comes as a byproduct of success in the very visible, spectacular ways that feed narcissism. When I think about stuff like this, I refer often back to a great art by the anthropologist Richard Lee, eating Christmas in the Kalahari. Lee spent years living among the Ikung Bushmen, a Bantu speaking hunter gatherer group who were seen by anthropologists as some of the people still living in a manner most similar to our ancient ancestors. One Christmas, as a show of gratitude to his hosts, Lee purchased a massive ox for the holiday feast. He was excited to show this great gift off to his new friends, and he was proud of himself for having gotten it, and he was utterly shocked when they responded to his pride with mockery of him and his ox, insulting it as scrawny, tiny, hardly fit to eat now. This shockedly because the ox he had purchased was of course quite large, and it was eventually explained to him that his friends were reacting with mockery not to his gift, but to the evident pride he had shown in it, bringing in a great beast worth of meat. Either as a hunter, or from buying it as Burton did, is the kind of thing that can go to a young man's head. If you are the one with the poet book or the one who fires the arrow, you can forget that the meat before you, the meat that you've brought into the community, is not the product purely of your own genius, but is a product of all of the time and resources invested in you by the community. The shaming of the meat, as this tactic was called, is a time honored way of correcting the glitch in young men of the Ukun before it can turn terminal. As one elder in the tribe eventually explained to Lee, when a young man kills much meat, he comes to think of himself as a chief or a big man, and he thinks of the rest of us as his servants or inferiors. We can't accept this. We refuse one who boasts, for someday his pride will make him kill somebody. So we always speak of his meat as worthless. This way we cool his heart and make him gentle. And speaking of cooling your heart, why don't you cool your heart with some ads? And then we'll come back to conclude this in a little bit, We're back. It has been theorized that the shaming of the meat is a social construct that may help to explain one of the evolutionary values of satire, perhaps even why humanity keeps producing comedians. They act as a part of our species immune system. When this glitch in the hearts of young men isn't punctured, when it's allowed to take off and dominate them, then it changes them on a fundamental level, and the being that it leaves in its wake seems to understand instinctively that laughter is a danger to it. This ultimately explains why Musk purchase Twitter and why Barack Obama's mockery of Donald Trump during that White House Correspondence Center set us all down the dark path that we currently are walking. So clearly, humor alone doesn't always save us from these kinds of people either. What Will I Have several times and my various shows identified myself as an anarchist, and I tend to do that even though I don't feel fully comfortable with the title, because brevity matters. I'm speaking to a mass audience and using that word gets as close enough for the sake of a podcast. But I'm not an anarchist in the sense that I have some sort of clear vision for how to build a utopia. Obviously, I do think anarchism has some answers for how human beings might build a better world. That's why I went through a Java, It's why we cover a lot of the things that we cover on these series. But I am primarily an anarchist because I understand that hierarchy kills. Because I understand that hierarchy separates us from each other and acts as a petri dish within which this glitch can propagate. I'm an anarchist because I love the people around me, because I understand that I am human, and because I see that my role in the human immune system is to remind other people of that fact and to point a finger at the people who have forgotten that they're human. I promised in the title of this little piece that I would tell you how we can win, and I can do that in a few words. We have to remember that we are humans. Amala Harris is an authoritarian. The fact that she wants to be president at all should make you leery of her. But she's not a Trump or a Musk. She has not separated herself entirely from humanity, if you'll forgive the reference. She understands that she exists in the context of all that came before her. Joe Biden has been hungry for power all his life. The glitch is in him. It has consumed most of him, but as we all learned recently, not all of him. He too understands that he is a part of humanity, indivisible from it. Now you can and should still view the man with disgust, even hatred. He ought to be in the Hague, but he also stepped down and gave up the thing that a week ago I'd have said probably mattered most to him in the world. This was not a purely selfless gesture. I'm sure he acted in a large part to try and salvage his own legacy. But it is also not a thing thing Donald Trump could ever do. You certainly wouldn't see a man like Vladimir Putin make a similar choice, and we've all seen the kind of slaughter bb net Yahoo is willing to back to hold on to power. None of this redeems Biden or makes him a good person or any less complicit in genocide than he was a week ago. I think it does put us in a better position when it comes to fighting for a ceasefire in Gaza. Everyone in US politics knows that Biden's political end started with the surge of uncommitted voters in Michigan. The loss of a second term is not a sufficient punishment for Biden's actions, but it is a punishment that has the ability to reshape the kind of risks US presidents will and won't take for Israel from now on. It has also helped me make sense of something that happened in twenty twenty. You all remember the moment during the one presidential debate that year, President Trump attacked Biden over the numerous scandals of his son, Hunter, a troubled drug addict who tried and largely failed to use his father's named secure wealth and standing for himself. Hunter's troubles have been tremendously embarrassing to his father, but up in front of the country and world, Biden refused to throw his son under the bus. He embraced him and expressed the kind of unconditional love that is utterly alien to men like Trump and Musk. Biden, for all the evil that he has done in the raw selfishness that allowed him to reach the presidency in the first place. Is a man who loves his son. Most importantly, he loves Hunter as Hunter and not purely as an extension of Joe Biden. There's an excellent series of articles out in The Atlantic right now by Tim Alberta, who might be the finest political journalist writing today. Tim had the good instincts to look behind the scenes at the team Trump picked to orchestrate his twenty twenty four campaign, and he's delivered deep reporting about why they've made some of the baffling decisions that they've made. Chief among bafflements was the selection of j. D. Vance as Vice President. Vance barely won his seat in Congress with the help of tens of millions of teal dollars. He is a liar without principle who has repeatedly expressed his desire to tear up the Constitution and usher in a new red caesar to bring this nation to heal under men like him. I watched Vance's speech at the RNC live at a Heritage Foundation party, surrounded by the rightest of the right, not one of them offered a single word of praise.
Speaker 1: Vance.
Speaker 2: Was that bad JD is the sort of pick Trump's handlers were sure that they could afford to make. Vance would bring the Silicon Valley billionaire set to the table, open up their purse strings, convince them they were welcome in the new ruling class. Sure he wouldn't bring any votes, But a week ago, running against Sleepy Joe, the sick man of US politics, Trump's team felt they had votes to spare. Well. Now the worm has turned. The Poles still point to an election that is deeply in doubt. But Poles don't say everything. The panic of their responses to Biden's stepping down, the chaotic spree of hate, to a single truth. They don't know what to do.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: The monsters are off balance, stumbling, unable to find the ground. We can see some evidence of this and the fact that Musk just came out and canceled has promised forty five million dollar monthly donations to the Trump campaign. This is the first chain of solidarity between our enemies to crumble, and it won't be the last. Every time that happens, we get more room to move and maneuver. The fascists may well regain their footing and time to crush us But something else has happened in the last few days as well. People, we humans, as a vast, blurry mob, have started to remember how many of us there are, and how much potential the weight of our numbers gives us. We have started to reconnect with each other, and that has also opened up possibilities that did not exist before. Kamala Harris and the Democratic Party aren't going to bring an end to global capitalism or drive a stake into the heart of the oil and gas industry. There remains so much else to do, so many other fights ahead of us. But if we can crush the Republicplicans here, it will be the fourth election cycle in a row where the right made a war on trans people, on the concept of diversity, on any kind of open, secular society the core of their electoral efforts, and it will be the fourth time that they have done that and lost. If we break their lines and send them fleeing into the hills, we have an opportunity to shatter their power and use the momentum of that victory to start building something better. There's no cleaner, easy route to a better future, but our chances are a hell of a lot better. The more of us that stay alive, and the more scattered and frightened that we can make our enemies. Our strength has always come from solidarity, from the understanding that we need each other and that we are part of each other. The Putins and Trumps and Musks and Teals of the world are of course a part of humanity as well, but they are incapable of seeing or accepting that. And so long as that is the case, we outnumber them. So long as that is the case, we can win.
Speaker 7: It could happen here. It's it could happen here at the podcasts that is about. I don't know how everyone hates trans people and how this has become a sort of cross partisan thing. I'm your host, Bio Wong. We are we have been doing. Oh god, I don't even know what sort of number of RNC episodes are going to have come out before this thing before you hear this episode. But we are once again turning away from their republic, from the sort of chaos and despair of the Republican Party to turn towards the chaos and despair of the Democratic Party. Yeah, we're gonna specifically be talking about a series of what I think we're kind of high profile fights in trans circles over sort of the administration very publicly starting to write off trans kids. I don't think it got that much news attention because, as you may have noticed, it is, Yeah, a lot of this is by very specifically Biden administration stuff. We are recording the Sunday Warning the morning of the twenty first. There is a real chance that by the end of the day Biden is no longer the nominee. So we'll get into that a little bit, but as of right now, he's still the guy, and he is fucking us. So, yeah, with you to talk about this is Karin Green, who we have had on the show before. Is a trans policy expert of many organizations and much experience, and yeah, welcome back on this. Welcome back to the show.
Speaker 1: Hey, thanks to having a mea.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's kind of fun to come back on to talk more about this, because the timing of when you had me on last time was pretty much ext just before a montha four he went public with this new stuff we're going to talk about.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so the last time we were talking about this, it was largely about stuff that was kind of like plausibly deniable for the administration, It was a lot of sort of stuff buried in bureaucratic medutia. Whether or not any of that stuff even exists anymore given recent Supreme Court rule that have effectively annihilated the administrative state. Who knows. But now having had the Supreme Court get their ability to do this sort of non plausibly, they have full lot gone on the record against trans kits. So I guess I want to start there. Can can you sort of explain what happened with this New York Times story that kind of kicked this whole saga off.
Speaker 9: Yeah, So kind of the context is I'm a trans policy analyst. It's what I do that unfortunately are not that many of us in the country, and all those of us, many of us are still employed in the movement organization, so they can't talk about this stuff humbly. But so he's been putting out the regulations that the Biden administration has been putting out are not good regulations for trans people, right, But it's hard to help people understand that they're transphobic because it's a five hundred page regulation and so you know, it's kind of wonky and a little weird, and if there is comms like the Biden administration and the orgs have been putting out calling him pro trans and all this stuff. There's a big barrier to overcome there with a wonky stuff like that. But what happened a couple of days after the debate, which I'm sure everyone saw, or if you didn't didn't watch it live, you realized in a horror that you now had to watch it to understand what this country is going through. They there was some initial reporting around how the WPATH Standards of Care Version eight came out. So WPATH is the World Professional Association for Transfer or Health. It is either last year or the year before they updated the Standards of Care seven to Standards of Care eight. This is a little background, sorry, And at the time there was discussion among WPATH members, doctors and kind of policy people to some degree about whether mentioning kind of rough ages for what time, what age people tend to start certain treatments like period blockers, hormones, that kind of thing, what kind of normal age ranges those things happening. We know from years years of advocacy and work and activism is that if somebody writes something like those things down, even if they present it as a kind of loose guideline or this is where things typically fall. Policymakers will write that stuff into law and rig and take what is supposed to give doctors and patients, you know, room to figure out what works best for them, and make it a very strict regime. And so transactivists did not want ages in the wpath Sock eight for that reason. And in the one and only instance of pro trans advocacy that I'm aware of her ever engaging in Rachel Levine in AHHS kind of advocated with wpath not to include those age ranges in it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Levine, by the way, is like the o WT health secretary.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 7: Yeah, she's like the only trans like she's the.
Speaker 9: Highest ranked trans like you know, White House official ever of maggitude.
Speaker 7: She's like she's like the only transperson, like openly transperson possibly in history to ever like get to a position where she has some authority and she doesn't use it ever except this one time.
Speaker 9: It's a bit disappointment too. Was I was her biggest fan in the world because she passed. She wrote Pennsylvania's Narkann Standing Order, and I based my law in Louisiana legalizing Narkhan and our subsequent standing order on hers. So I thought it was really cool that Transforms had done this in both places, and I really really was a big and then she just crickets nothing. It is all this terrible stuff happens. So that's the context in which the New York Times was reporting. They somebody had gotten, like some bad guys had gotten some of the emails between Levin and w Path and were like trying to make it into a scandal, right, And they and the bad guys misrepresented kind of what the issue and discussion was about, right, So we discussed what it was, but the way that they would present it as, oh, you know, w Path was trying to limit treatments to kids being you know, old enough of a certain age, which is not what they were doing. And they were trying to present Levine as trying to get rid of those so that five year olds could have surgery or whatever. It's so, you know, just very very insincere. But so the media was kind of reporting just on that because they love muck breaking.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And partially the other thing we should mention it is it was really it was extremely hard to figure out what was going on for the issue reporting because the New York Times, instead of employing trans journalists, they employed transphobic journalists. And the thing about transpherbic journalists, they don't fucking understand policy at all. Day They're like, they're absolute fucking clouds. These people have no idea what the fuck they're talking about, and so you know, when they're trying to write a story that's about like leaked technical policy documents, they have no fucking idea what they're doing, and the reporting is gibberish. It's like I was trying to understand it. And this is a real issue because the only the source we had was this document of this New York Times writer who like couldn't like the New York Times writer who like couldn't find the back of their hand with the map right trying to like write out these skinned emails.
Speaker 9: I'm convinced sis people don't even understand that they don't know what they're talking about, because I think they just inherently feel like, oh, I have a gender, therefore I know everything about gender.
Speaker 7: It's like you know, and like I I I, and it's this is like mostly kind of like find ish. But the problem is when you have you know, when you have CIS journalists who don't know anything about trans like people at all, who in a lot of places don't think trans people exist trying to write these policy things, it's they they have nothing.
Speaker 9: And yeah, so it wasn't presented super clearly, and so other people had questions, some justified, some based on misunder that misunderstanding, some not. But anyway, there was additional kind of back and forth between the media and the White House. They were asking about it, and in that the White House at one point told them that they opposed surgery for transgender youth. And then obviously that is, at least publicly, that is a new position for the President who has has been called not by me but by other people, you know, one hundred percent pro trans super great ally his entire administration. I disagree with that, but other people have been saying that for a long time. And so that took a lot of people by surprise and was a big kind of kurf lefvel. And so that's kind of the jumping off point for where we're going here.
Speaker 1: And so that happened.
Speaker 9: That came out on a Friday in the New York Times, that the White House opposed surgery for trans miners, and nobody talked there like. There were no responses from the orgs, There was no additional reporting, no follow up from.
Speaker 1: The White House.
Speaker 9: That Friday, not that Saturday, not that Sunday, although that Sunday Sunday evening, the heads of three national large national LGBTQ advocacy orgs, HRC, Family Equality Council, and National LGBTQ Task Force went on all three together an MSNBC show. The host, I don't remember his name, but he has an MSNBC show, writes for Washington Post and then also contributes to PBS News Hour Right. And so none of these three people that we pay to advocate for us or this journalist brought up this very fresh, very pertinent, very relevant, new White House position. They just talked about how important it is to vote and how much fun they had at Pride parades instead garbage, right, And so it was very weird to me that these three people who represent lgbt obviously organizations would not immediately vocally condemned that kind of anti transtance. And it also blew my mind that this journalist must be like allergic to scoops or something like why yeah, why wouldn't you like that's your chance right there?
Speaker 7: I mean I I genuine and you think the journalists didn't know because like this stuff didn't break out of like a very small sort of like transphere by this point, right.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's in the New York Times.
Speaker 7: You're given like but like like nobody cares about like people. People don't care about us, like you. You would think that these people would know, But like I genuinely don't even know if this person had any idea what was happening. Because I trust journalists to write about trans people about as much as I trust myself to be able to bench for us a car.
Speaker 9: So you know, yeah, so that came and went Sunday evening Nope, And I was going in the whole time, right because for me as a trans policy analyst, you know, I have I've been I've noticed and been and been calling Biden's transphobic rags and executive words and stuff problematic and transphobic since I first noticed it and picked up on it, which was you know, two or three years ago now. And so for me, it was a very kind of complicated feeling of Okay, Now, at least other people don't have to take my word about the rags. There's something they can look at and see it themselves. But I was also, you know, completely threw off my sleep schedule. I was bouncing off the walls, going and seing and trying to you know, or organize responses. And so the first org actually I think I believe it was HRC, issued a statement Monday night and it was a decent statement. I might have critiques of them whatever, And then the rest of the orgs kind of didn't issue statements until Tuesday evening, and so so that Tuesday also the White House issued a statement that to clarify their position, and the statement actually made it worse. So what the statement said was that they do oppose surgery for transgender youth. So they reiterated that, and then it went on to say, however, we continue to support gender affirming care for youth, such as mental health care.
Speaker 1: Period.
Speaker 9: I meant it was a common in theas other but they didn't list other things that they supported, right, so, like, the only thing they put in the list that they supported was mental health care, which, to a policy person, again, you're not sneaking those things past me. If you're talking about trans healthcare and the only thing that you say that you support is mental health care, I'm very worried. I'm very concerned, right, because if you're pro trans and you support transaccess to healthcare, it is not complicated or hard or controversial for you to say, yeah, you know, I support trans people and their access to health care. They should have access to therapy, hormones, pubity blockers, surgery, whatever they need. Like, it's not complex there, right, But they didn't do that, and so to me that felt even worse than kind of the initial position because it signaled to me that there's likely we're likely kind of losing them on not just surgery, it's all this other stuff. And so two hours later that statement was updated, revised and it took out saying they support mental health care and was changed to say we support gender affirming care like a continuum of care and used the words continuum of care instead of mental health care. Now that doesn't that feels like tripling down to me, because the problem was that it was very overt what you left out, and you had the opportunity to go back and fix it, and then you continued. You just made new words that very overtly leave out the kind of things that we would need reassurance about, right, And so that's kind of where things were at at that point.
Speaker 7: And yeah, we're gonna let's let's leave it there for a second. You turn to the people who are funding us talking about this, which is the I was gonna say, the noble product products and services. I cannot promise their nobility at all, but the products and service system support this podcast.
Speaker 3: Here they are.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we are back.
Speaker 7: And there's one other thing I want to mention before we sort of get into where this went, which is part of the fear that was going on, is that at the same time as this is all happening, Labor has taken power in the UK, and the Labor government they're fucking okay, what what what can what what can I say about the about West streeting that won't get me impaled across there? Militantly transphobic piece of shit. I think it's like their health secretary now, yes, yeah, the masters over there don't forget Yeah, yeah, they're ministers came out and said we're going to ban all children from getting puberty blockers, not.
Speaker 1: Just on the NHS but all.
Speaker 7: Private healthcare everyone. Yeah, and this is a this is an absolutely sort of terrifying step. It is going to get a lot of kids killed. Want to reiterate, Yeah, already already has there's a whole scandal over there about like about the number of trus.
Speaker 9: The Good Law Project has you know, done the research into like NHS minutes and all this stuff, and as thinks that there have been sixteen suicides since this.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And I I also want to there's like a sort of debunking thing that's going on that was from data that like that that the party released. I was like, oh, there weren't actually that many suicides. And the thing you have to understand about those numbers is that those numbers don't count people in waitlists, and the waitlists are not the only place that people die, but they kill a lot of people. So I want to sort of like, yeah, we got to get that sort of context in which is we're in this position not.
Speaker 9: Just streating right the farmers and then there are a whole lot have very vocally transphobic labor MPs.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and and that you know, that's there's a lot of fear that the Democratic Party can sort of take this even more extreme path than the sort of stuff we've been saying. And you know, I'm gonna include the standard thing about puberty blockers, which is we give these We give puberty blockers to like literal like five year old CIS children. They're fine, it's complete, like they're completely safe. There's no there's no downside.
Speaker 9: Apparently puberty blockers only have dangerous terrifying side effects used and they can tell when they're in a transbody, and it's a fine.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I only do the bad things. We've created the trends specific bio weapon like you know, so like that this all of this stuff is safe, and it's not only safe, it saves lives, like the difference between you know, like any trans person can tell you, the difference between being on your hormones and being off your hormones is night and day. It is the difference between being alive and not being alive, Like it is the difference between having sort of like a stable like stable interiority and feeling like you don't exist every fucking day.
Speaker 9: So well, we're not just talking about being on your right hormones, but in this case, we're also talking about preventing being on the wrong hormones, right, which can be even more experciated.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's terrible, Like yeah, and so there's there's this real fear that what we're seeing here is a pivot to UK style stuff. And one of the things I do in the UK that was specifically worrying about that language about mental health care is one of the big turf tactics is pushing this thing where we go, oh, well, we're going to have this like you know, we're gonna give you mental health care. We're going to like help you figure out what your gender is. Is they call it like exploratory care. This is conversion therapy. Yeah, that's what they are talking about. And you know, seeing the White House suddenly pivot to this language that is effectively identical to again the UK thing where they're like, we're going to give these consciversion therapy was terrifying.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 9: And then so the I think that the space between that Friday with the New York Times article and then the Tuesday with that clarification, I think the fact that the orgs were so quiet and didn't offer any pushback and didn't organize community to demand better to ban their retract it. Like I think that that's what gave them the room to essentially double and triple down in that statement on Tuesday. And so that coincided, unfortunately with a couple other anti transdevelopments in the Democratic Party in a way that I find very worrying, especially when taken kind of as a constellation. Right, So, that same week, the Senate Armed Services Committee. So the NDAA is a large military funding bill, the National Events Authorization Act, and the House has been passing versions with lots of transphobic riders in them, and then for the last couple of years, the Senate has been taking those out and passing a clean version, and then ultimately it's a clean version of that gets an active Last year, I was very, very worried that we would lose on that and that it would go through with the writers and the implications here. So the DoD Department of Events funds healthcare for the VA and Trycare. I think there's one other smaller program kind of similar that's a different name and effort, but largely VA and tringcare so for active service members and their families and veterans, which is I think I last read like ten million people or something. And so if they cut off public funding for trans healthcare through those programs, a whole lot of people are going to lose it, and we're going to very quickly wind up in a situation like abortion is with the High Amendment, where no public money can be used on our healthcare. And so that week, the same time, the Senate Armed Services Committee had their version of the NDAA, and Committee Joe Manchin voted with Republicans to attach to these transphobic riders to it, and then it was everyone in the committee except for three people. I believe it was Warren, one other Democrat, and I think possibly one Republican who voted against it. But all the other Democrats on the committee voted to pass it out of committee with those transphobic riders, which is terrifying. Yeah, and Senator Kelly has introduced a floor amendment to take those out, but whether his mimit even makes it to the floor, I don't know. And what the vote looks like that like on that, I don't know. So I'm really worried that the NDA will pass with these riders in it, and then subsequent spending bills for other departments will as well. And then simultaneously there's the third thing. Over Biden's term, there have been over he's had over two hundred of his judicial nominees that he's offered up and over his whole term, not a single time has a Democrat opposed one of his judicial nominees. But that week us Off actually opposed one of his judicial nominees over the fact that she had sent a trans woman to women's prison, so specifically a transphobic reason for objecting, and so she didn't denominated. And that's the first time that has happened over Biden's term from what I read, And so there are just lots of these signals that kind of back me up in my feeling that the support that you know, everyone has been pretending that the Democratic Party has for trans people. I mean, I read their eggs, so I know better, but it is not. It is an illusion, right, and when it shatters, it's going to come apart really fast, and people are going to be really surprised by it because our organizations have not been kind of educating people along the way.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we're gonna we're gonna come back and talk more about this, and we're also going to come back very specifically to the trans woman in women's prisons thing, because I really truly do not think since people understand how fucking bad that is. Yeah, we're gonna come back to that after these ads. Yeah, so we're back. Yeah. So I wanted to specifically highlight the prisons thing in the context of you know, Okay, so there's a chance by the time this comes out that Biten is no longer than m me your lips to God tears.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: The issue with this is that the strongest possibility for replacing him is Kamala Harris. And you know, I'm gonna ask you to explain Kamala Harris's record on trans women in fucking prisons because it is appalling.
Speaker 9: Because I can never escape these Shipler. I actually worked at TLC while we were suing the State of California. Yeah, Transgender Lassoner TLC. We had to sue the State of California for incarcerated trans people to be able to access healthcare that they deserved, and Kamala Harris, as the age of the State of California, defended the state's position that they did not they did have a right to healthcare. We won, she lost, But so she is not someone that I can ever trust with trans lives, right, especially because there have been other issues, I think marijuana most recently, where she has tried to kind of trumpet that she has used her discretion and not prosecuted certain things or whatever. Right, And that doesn't help me at all, right, because it shows you know, you have prosecutor, you know you have discretion in what cases you take and what you defend and all this stuff, and you used it to prevent trans people.
Speaker 1: I'm geting healthcare.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And I want to also specifically talk about the part about this judge sending a transfer into a women's prison, which is the thing that you should do, because this is the kind of thing that has to be opposed at all costs, because you know, prison is violent enough for everyone, it is even worse for us. And the fact that Democrats are like, you know, it looks like we're seeing the sort of tide break on this and especially specifically on this issue where the consequences are so dire it is, it is extremely bad.
Speaker 9: Yeah, And so I kind of had the suspicion that there was a deal struck on the NDAA that Democrats And this is solely me speculating, right, I have no insider information about this, speculating that the Democrats kind of accepted a deal on the NDA that there would be some level of anti trans writers that they would accept and into the enacted law, and that after making that deal, the White House felt they could kind of move to the right publicly on trans people because you know, it would be in the news from the NBA passing, that they could start kind of preparing people for that by kind of making a public and kind of moving to the right word there.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 1: So that's kind of what I suspect maybe happened. I don't know, but it is.
Speaker 9: It doesn't vode well for us, especially because you know, so the the White House's position has already been cited in at least one judicial opinion. Ye and then was also recently cited Yester the day before yesterday or not now, yeah, Friday, I think it was Friday in New Hampshire as justification from Governor Sunu for signing their surgery van there. And so these things have immediate consequences even before they show up in executive branch policy. And this is why I have been very convinced ever since kind of I read the policy Tea Leaves and the Executive orders and rags and kind of identified that we were dealing with the functionally a hostile executive branch.
Speaker 1: I've been trying. I tried as hard.
Speaker 9: As I could to get movement leadership to switch from a kiss ass framework to a take names framework, right Yeah, but they just they haven't done it. So the community just doesn't. It's going to feel like whiplash, I think for a lot of folks who aren't kind of deep into this stuff and then don't follow me on Twitter to see me yelling about five hundred page regulations. But it makes me worried that, you know, the leadership is not advocating for trans people appropriately. And I think that if this is demonstrating that they're not don't have leverage or they're not willing to bring a leverage to bear on whoever the nominee is when it's not Biden, right, Like, they're not setting the movement up to have strong footing to hold people accountable to trans equality kind of on the campaign trail, and that's really scary looking at labor, especially as kind of a blueprint.
Speaker 7: Yeah we're gonna be talking of God, Yeah, we're gonna be talking about shot o'brien'soking dog shit weird fascist turn later with some teamsters. Well hopefully, well we'll see well see well see apps the episode. But yeah, yeah, it's very bad. But also it's not We're not in a position yet where this is inevitable, right right, Like it doesn't have to happen. And the way that it gets this gets stopped from happening is by US organizing, in US fighting and US putting pressure on these people to fucking do this because you know, and like this, this is this, this has always been the thing. Like these people unfortunately they do need us, right, they hate it, but you know, these like the Democratic Party needs us.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 9: We got to see last month during Pride month, they all show up at Pride parades. Yeah yeah right, it's like y'all actually don't belong here, Why.
Speaker 4: Are you fuck off?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 7: And it's like you know, they like they they they they have been successfully sort of like feasting off of the movement that we build for decades now. And it is you know, if they're going to fucking if they're going to fucking eat our corpses, it is, it is, it is, it is absolutely time for them to fucking try to defend us. And the only way that's going to happen is if we we actually start mobilizing it, we start putting pressure on these people to like not fucking back down and write us off for dead.
Speaker 9: But the way that the national organizations have been moving, right, like the positive press and the praise that they've given deepen Biden's shittiest actions and inactions on trans people actively stimy's commune you organizing, right, because if I have to explain a five hundred page regulation to show people that Biden's transphobic, that and they're just like no, but look, this HRC statement says it's actually great policy, it's a big barrier to overcome or community organizing there, right.
Speaker 7: So yeah, and you know, the the the other sort of issue here, right, is that the Republican Party is I mean, I don't know if hurling towards is even the right word, but they are They are very very very close to what is effectively like banning Transmit from public life and their eventual goal of wiping us out.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and you know, if there's no actual force to oppose that, because all of these sort of national organizations are busy sort of kissing ass instead of actually fighting. We are in deep trouble.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and I think and I think we are. I think we are in deep trouble. But like you said, it is not a done yet right. I was actually heartened.
Speaker 1: I was very I was terrified.
Speaker 9: So Zoe Zoe's Ephyr, the trans representative state representative from Montana. After the draft bad Title nine regulation came out, she organized an open letter from fourteen out of sixteen out trans and non binary state electeds against it. They released it a couple of days after all of the orgs put out their praise were they're praising statements and they looked really dumb. So she actually organized another open letter of out trans and non binary state legislators against this. It wasn't the you know, the full compliment because it was over a weekend, really scrambly, but just like the Title nine one, Dana Carome and Sarah McBride did not sign it.
Speaker 7: Why can you explain who that is by the way for the audience.
Speaker 9: Yeah, So Dana Carome is a trans state representative from Virginia, and then Sarah McBride is an out trans legislator from Biden's home state of Delaware. And the mc brides are actually family friends with the Bidens, and Joe Biden actually wrote the forward to Sarah McBride's memoirs, autobiography whatever you call it, right, But she's also a Zionist, and she is a kind of centrist, center right Democrat who you know, as I've talked to people, my understanding is that she didn't sign on to the title nine letter because she has you know, rising Star and the Democratic Party aspirations. She's probably going to be the first trans congress person soon. I hate it, and so I was extremely concerned that Sarah McBride, who you know, because of those ties and because she's probably going to be in Congress soon, is the most kind of politically powerful trans person in the country. I was extremely worried that she was going to join the Biden administration on this. So I agro posted the ship posts that are for several days, and thankfully she she did condemn it and kind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, go.
Speaker 9: I was seriously concerned about that because you know, just these the forces, this anti transit humanization campaign is so powerful and so strong at this point that a lot of people are making the calculation that if they want to advance in politics.
Speaker 1: They got a multuous you know, and I.
Speaker 9: Don't think highly id and don't think highly enough and Sarah to have been confident that she wouldn't do that, yeah, And.
Speaker 7: I think that's you know, that's also one of the really hard parts about this is like you, I don't know, as much as there is sort of intercommunity solidarity among trans people, you can't even trust your own people when they take power right, right, And you know, this isn't to say like this is one of the rare times where like I think there are like there's legislators who do good stuff, like Zoey's effort has been doing great, But you have to keep the pressure on everyone, no matter who they are about it, where they come from, you have to you have to keep pressuring them, because I.
Speaker 1: Mean, that's my experience as now does.
Speaker 7: Yeah, if you don't, we're going to get We're going to get left behind and left to die. Yeah.
Speaker 9: And so like one of the one of the ways that this has been so dismaying for me, right is that trans people don't have any or any national organization that advocates for them full throatdly, principally in a trans maximalist kind of unapologetic way, right, it's always all of the orgs, all the lgbtq worgs and the Transpacific orgs, which is kind of what I'm getting to all kind of take this very.
Speaker 1: Centrist tech or they have over the last several years with Biden.
Speaker 9: They were all kind of a lot happier to be radical when Trump is pres but no longer. Right, Yeah, And my my main issue is even if you are, you know, a rich DC strategist who leads, who runs these movement orgs like you know they are, and you believe, even you believe that the balance between kind of strident, principled advocacy and lobbying blazer tightened up moderated advocacy is way further in the moderated direction than I do.
Speaker 1: Even if you believe that, you still.
Speaker 9: Understand the need for some group with a voice to articulate the trans maximalist position, to articulate the standards by which you know, politicians are going to be measured if they're going to be considered pro trans.
Speaker 1: And what we have not seen is the trans.
Speaker 9: Specific organization, so specifically National Center for transgener Quality n CT and Transferred Legal Education Defense Fund, till death. They recently merged into Advocates for Trans Equality, which is abbreviated A for a te don't ask, don't ask, But like, why let the LGBT, let HRC do the centrist bullshit, Let them put out milk toast statements, let them praise politicians who don't fully support us. Right, but we need at least one organization representing trans people to lay out the full case to present kind of our actual policy needs and be the rubric by which everyone else can be measured. And also just for community education, so we know, so the community knows without you know, people like organizers, people like me trying to overcome these huge, these huge walls to get people to understand what's going on, can see what's being done to us, know what we deserve in terms of policy, and then measure what is actually being done for us against that bar.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And I think one of the other frustrating aspects of this is something that you talk about a lot, is that the people who do the work in these organizations, right, you're sort of like, you know, your sort of staffers or researchers to people on the on the sort of bottom of the pyramid. You make all this stuff function. They don't get a say in how these you know, and how how these fucking orgers put these things out.
Speaker 9: No, most of them are radical anarchists and communists like I am right. They they really really want to do what we need to be done, and it's just you know, comes down from on high that that's not what they're doing. And I know that I am not the only trans National ORG staffer who has been silenced by the White House or the White House reached out directly to my bosses. I think I mentioned it the last time I was on Yeah, but I know that's happened to my colleagues, friends at other organizations. And I know that I have a lot of privileges that that a lot of people don't, so I can kind of get fired or I could. I do not maybe couldn't afford it anymore. I get fired for my principles, and I don't, you know, I don't, I don't judge, you know, my my comrades and colleagues horstal kind of doing the best they can. But I'm really really scared with with leadership and the way that they have not recognized kind of the situation they've gotten a.
Speaker 7: Sent to Yeah, and I think the thing I want to close on is what do you think are effective things that people can do sort of now right? And people who aren't in the top of these power structures. Although if you're for some reason you're the head of one of these orgs and you're listening to this, what the fuck are you doing? Please do better?
Speaker 2: But yeah, what what?
Speaker 7: What?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 7: What kinds of things can people do on top of sort of just like community education?
Speaker 9: And yeah, yeah, so, I mean I I think the real thing that I mean, I've courage people to do this on Twitter as well, is if you see one of these national organizations fall short of one hundred percent and advocating for a transop, if you see them equivocate about you know, maybe banning surgery isn't that bad because it's not super common, or maybe it's okay not to demand that Biden, you know, explicitly say that he supports you know, these parts of these components of our healthcare before calling him on hundred percent protrans on healthcare.
Speaker 1: You know, that kind of stuff.
Speaker 9: If you see them fall short of that, you know, don't trust them anymore. I don't donate to them anymore. Take that money, attention, time, and energy and turn it to mutual aid efforts, to local organizing efforts to supporting trans people in Red states. Campaign for southerner Quality just expanded their their practical support program to be not just a subset of of Red states that they will help trans youth in families in, but all Red states that are that are facing healthcare bands and similar anti trans measures. Support that fund right, go look at and if you don't know of a of a local trans group or a state transgroup near you doing good work, you can go to transjustice funding projects kind of grantee map. They're really low barrier only grant to translated groups and you can see what those groups are doing and you can hook up with them or donate to them. But I think that the biggest thing is not I mean, we Lord knows, we need money, we're all poor as shit, yeah, But mainly, but mostly honestly, what I think we need is we need vocal, visible support. We need assist people not to remain silent or passive when they hear or see transphobia, or when they hear or see someone equivocating on well maybe you know, maybe kids aren't old enough to know their trands. Like if you're that just sounds insane actual trans people, right, but you know it can take this people, right, And so if you are a SIS ally, being an ally is an action, right, And we need that now more than ever as the stakes of the risks of being attached to us supporting us grow higher, right, Like, we need principal allies to stand with us. And so if you can do that in your daily life, you can be a trans advocate in your kind of routine.
Speaker 1: We desperately need that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And I think that's a good I know that that's a good sort of rallying cry. It's like all all you know, and this has always substantively been one of the big issues with being trans is that we are one percent of the population right now. Right, that's probably gonna rise in the future, but right now are sort of distributed pauls, like our distributed impacts on politics. You know, we have an outsized impact of paul But for one percent of the population, we can't fight nine percent of the population, right, So we need we need your help, and we need you know, we need not just sort of milk toast lip service.
Speaker 9: We need to actually fight, Yeah, we need people in your life to know you know that you are fully pro trands and that means that you kind of learned maybe how to talk about trans healthcare to educate other folks who won't know as much, or you are able to develop and kind of share a personal story about how you learned about trans people and uh and became you know, an outlying right, So learning how to do that work I think is super important.
Speaker 7: So this is this is spinning can happen here, Kriinn, Thank you so much for coming on the show.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 9: Like I said that timing of the last show, Yeah, very smart.
Speaker 7: It's yeah, we I have I have a weird knack for tibing this stuff correctly for mostly for but you know, yeah, just been nicking up here. You can find us in the places and yeah, go go support the trans people in your life because the Lord knows they need it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and you can follow me. Yeah, so I'm crankering, I share they pronouns, and I'm at gay Narcan on Twitter. You can find me there for hot trans policy takes that are not moderated by centrist calm staff.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and don't find me on Twitter. Absolutely not.
Speaker 2: Hey, We'll be back Monday with more episodes every week from now until the heat death of the Universe.
Speaker 4: It Could Happen Here as a production of cool Zone Media.
Speaker 5: For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can find sources for It Could Happen Here, updated monthly at cool zonemedia dot com slash sources. Thanks for listening.