Speaker 1: Second Date, up Date. I saw a TikTok recently that said, if you're on the dating apps right now, it's like the last chopper out of Vietnam. A couple of years ago, it was actually working. You could find quality matches on there that weren't Russian bots. But now it's like wading through the wet trash compactor that Luke Skywalker got dumped into on the Death Star.
Speaker 2: So many analogies here that I don't quite understand.
Speaker 1: It's a gloomy, dark scene on the dating apps right now, and one of our listeners says that he is just about done with it. If we can't reconnect him with the woman that he went out with last week, he might be done completely.
Speaker 2: Is a straw that's going to break the camel's back, like some sort of an everybody.
Speaker 1: It's nice to have one from like this century, but.
Speaker 3: That's okayout Vietnam.
Speaker 1: So his name is Thomas Thomas, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 4: Hey guys, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: That's honest. I know that your email was very down on yourself, but maybe you were just like super emotional. You don't actually mean that you're ready to give up on the apps, entirely, are you.
Speaker 4: I've been on these dating ass now for about two years, and I mean, I'm just losing hope. It's just gotten worse and worse and worse and worse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, such a ray of positivity.
Speaker 4: Okay, I listen. I started out in it with plenty of hope, but I'm losing it now because I mean, I don't feel like I'm asking for much like I just want somebody that I get along with, that I share things.
Speaker 1: Okay, slow down with your long list of demands with the perfect woman.
Speaker 4: I mean, I feel like I've been doing things right and I've had good conversations with women. You know, We've had some things in common. There seems to be a spark and that I don't hear back from them, or they don't even show up.
Speaker 3: Okay, but yeah, wait, did this woman show up for you? You you said you would have Norman.
Speaker 4: Did this woman?
Speaker 3: Did?
Speaker 4: Her name is Diane?
Speaker 1: Diane?
Speaker 4: I put so much into this date.
Speaker 2: Can I ask, right off the bat, did you complain about the scene, the dating.
Speaker 1: Scene the entire time.
Speaker 3: I'm just going to cut to the chase here.
Speaker 4: No, No, I did not. We we honestly, we had a wonderful date. We went to this Mediterranean restaurant, okay, and she had a beautiful smile. There's great eye contact, like she wasn't on her phone the whole time. She's actually listening and interacting.
Speaker 2: And I'm assuming you're going in with zero expectations, since you don't have much faith in the process.
Speaker 3: At this point, I was.
Speaker 4: Ready to just eat alone. And she showed up already her past expectation.
Speaker 1: I liked that mentality. If you go in thinking like it's going to be terrible, then it's going to be great no matter what. As long as they show up, he's gonna start sitting down and he's right now she's not going to show up. Then she goes, oh, you're halfwaying the meal. Best date ever? Oh my god, that's awesome.
Speaker 4: Okay, Yeah, I'm glad. I only ordered like one cocktail before she got there.
Speaker 3: What was it like when you first saw her?
Speaker 5: I mean, like I said, she had a beautiful smile, really like focused on me on the date, which was which was nice. And she loves horror movies like I do, and like I expected us to be there for like an hour, but.
Speaker 4: We were there. We talked for over four hours at the restaurant.
Speaker 3: What what at the restaurant the entire time?
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh my god.
Speaker 3: The waiter was just so annoyed with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, were you ordering more drinks in between that time? I'm just thinking from the waiters perspective.
Speaker 4: There were a couple, but we had a good long talk. I mean we ended up closing the restaurant down.
Speaker 2: My gosh, I mean I could understand, just on that experience alone, why you'd be so mystified why this woman isn't calling you back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, especially because we agreed on another date.
Speaker 3: When you say you agreed on another date, did you guys like set a day.
Speaker 4: In a time or we made agree to go out afterwards? We were going to meet at the same restaurant next week, Oh, like the following week.
Speaker 3: Interesting, Okay, I want to do the same one.
Speaker 1: I mean, if the vibes are so good at that one place, to keep it going.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think we just had such a great time. We wanted to keep the ball rolling.
Speaker 1: That's gone and that could be your place someday, Like, oh, this is our our first two days. And they took the chopper out of nom and then decided to fly right back into it. Okay, how did your second tour go?
Speaker 4: Well, that's the thing. She never showed up.
Speaker 3: She did. Wait, wait on the second time, she didn't show up.
Speaker 4: She never showed up. I was there for over half an hour. I texted her no response.
Speaker 3: And had you guys texted in the week between, like, oh, can't wait to see you? You know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'd had a couple of texts, you know, back and forth with her, And.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's the problem. I don't know the confirming of the second day.
Speaker 2: You know, you always have to confirm plans at least three times before they actually happened.
Speaker 1: A little mystery.
Speaker 3: No, it's not Look.
Speaker 1: Are we on for tonight? Yeah? Are we? I guess you'll have to show up and find out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I didn't know the magic rule was three, But do we noted? I guess for for the future. But she just wasn't there And then she hasn't responded to any of my calls or text.
Speaker 3: Dude, dude, I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: Now, you guys know why I want to get off of these apps, because again we spent four hours bocking and and then a no show on the second date.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you've never been stood up before?
Speaker 6: Imagine, I've heard we're gonna try and make a happier image come out of all of this we got because we're gonna come back.
Speaker 1: We're gonna call Diane for you and try and get you your second date update, get you out of nom once and for all, right right after this. No, we're gonna drive this one home. God, we're gonna do it right after this second date update. Imagine four hours of non stop laughter and sharing stories and dreams. Two desserts, one spoon. That sounds lovely, Jeffrey, I don't know if that really happened.
Speaker 3: There was only one spoon. I'm sorry, I'd be out.
Speaker 1: I'm just picturing in my mind the best date ever, because that's what Thomas described to us earlier when he met up at a restaurant with Diane. Maybe it was three desserts, no spoon.
Speaker 3: I think you usually do one dessert and two spoons.
Speaker 1: You know, the more spoons, the worst it's going. Yeah, yeah, no spoon. Hands behind the back of your lady in the ting a mudpie off of each other's fingers. That is the best date night ever.
Speaker 3: That visual will haunt me.
Speaker 1: I honestly don't know. All I do know is that Thomas is about to give up on the dating apps if this doesn't work out for him, and we're not gonna let that happen.
Speaker 3: Right, Brookes, that's right, we got you, Thomas.
Speaker 4: Man. I appreciate yall.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Thomas, you haven't heard from her at all after she stood you up?
Speaker 4: Nothing, complete radio silence.
Speaker 3: So are you? Are you mad going into this?
Speaker 4: I mean a little bit, But to be honest, I'm more. I'm just exhausted and I just kind of want to know why it doesn't make sense to me? Is all?
Speaker 3: Okay? All right? You defeated?
Speaker 4: Yeah, bring the energy down.
Speaker 1: Like that.
Speaker 6: I'm hopeful Like you said, that's right like one minute ago.
Speaker 3: I know, Well, I'm hopeful for you too. We're gonna hold you up.
Speaker 2: Okay, We're gonna reinflate you're trying to.
Speaker 3: We're gonna prop you up and make this happen.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 1: If you'd like to hire Brooke to give a pep talk to your company, makes you go to Brook dot com or sports team got to lift let's plate stuff right here you go? Hello, Hey, is this Diane?
Speaker 4: Yeah? This is her?
Speaker 1: We got her. Okay, Diane, what's up? You're on the radio right now with Brooke and Jeffrey in the morning. Okay, okay, most people cheer when we say that, but that's okay.
Speaker 3: Actually, yeah, not one person has ever done that. Don't pressure. We're excited to talk to though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, god, you answered.
Speaker 7: I'm like in the middle of something and you I don't know what's going on.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, we're in the middle of something too. It's called a second date update, and I think our thing is probably more important. Okay, sorry, No, I think we have a listener who went on a date with you recently and hasn't really been able to meet up a second time. It's really bumming him out, and he just doesn't know why. His name's Thomas.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, okay, okay, you know Thomas.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, I know Thomas.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 1: We figured because you guys spent quite a while together the other night at a restaurant having what sounded like a really nice time.
Speaker 3: Yeah. He told us that you really connected.
Speaker 1: I mean, most people don't close down a restaurant when they're having a bad time with each other.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we had a date the other night, so you admit it.
Speaker 1: HAA.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you had a good date. Then why didn't you show up the second time?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're all confused, and Thomas is especially confused because apparently you were supposed to meet up again the following week at the same exact restaurant and you ghosted. You didn't even show.
Speaker 7: First of all, I did not ghost him.
Speaker 3: What he was there and you were.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he showed up and he says he weren't there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, No, I went to the restaurant. I got there early, and I left before I got there, But I did not ghost him.
Speaker 1: You left before he got there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can't have a date at two different times.
Speaker 4: The week.
Speaker 7: You know, I was really looking forward to our gate and I actually got there fifteen minutes early.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 7: When I got there, you know, the host when I got there was paying really like a lot.
Speaker 2: Of attention to me, like in a way that made you uncomfortable the way you said that, Yeah, it was just it was like they were familiar with me.
Speaker 3: Well, you were you closed down the place the week before.
Speaker 6: Maybe they know you.
Speaker 3: About We heard you took the table for four hours.
Speaker 7: Yeah, actually it was kind of the opposite. They put me at the nicest table you could possibly be at in the restaurant, like a beautiful view of the city.
Speaker 3: Oh, why is this an issue?
Speaker 1: Did you know somebody that sounds really nice?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Well, there were like rose petals all over the table. My favorite drink. I told him I was a Gin and tonic and he had it like it was they're waiting, that's so cute.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, what part of this is bad in your mind?
Speaker 4: I Well, it just was.
Speaker 7: It was a lot for a second date.
Speaker 3: It's just a Gen and Tonic and a couple of rose petals. Wait, is that that like an anniversary thing?
Speaker 4: Exactly?
Speaker 3: He was excited.
Speaker 7: It's not an anniversary though, it's a second date. And it honestly felt like a proposal that much.
Speaker 3: Girl, You need to set your sights higher. If you think that's a proposal.
Speaker 1: Well, hold on, let's just hear her out a little bit, so that all those nice gestures made you feel uncomfortable, Like I just.
Speaker 7: Couldn't figure out. It was just like, what does he want for me? Like it just was so so much.
Speaker 3: Isn't that awful that that's your first thought? Like that sucks? I mean, honestly, like what if all he wanted was to show you that he liked you? He should have.
Speaker 7: Stuck with the I mean, that's great nolge, but I just from my experience, no man actually acts like that. It's like a cartoon version of what.
Speaker 1: I could definitely see both sides of the argument rare. Maybe he was trying to be nice. Maybe it was a little bit too much too fast to.
Speaker 3: Just believe him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that part was a little rough. But the good news is we can make everything better with a simple action, and that's by putting Thomas on the phone with you right now, because he's actually on the other line waiting to you. Oh no, don't think of this as another grand romantic gesture, just casual phone convo inact, pretend like we're not here and say hi to each other. Thomas.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Hi. I thought I was being very like sweet and considerate, and you know, I was trying to sad like. I was also listening and paying attention to.
Speaker 1: You, and.
Speaker 7: It is it is, you know, very sweet, I just like you, I think. I mean, it just was a lot. We haven't even discussed what we've wanted in our future anything like that, so it was just the most grand gestures for just like meeting up again and wanting to get to know.
Speaker 3: Each other, but like you didn't even stick around to even tell Thomas that it was too much. I bet Thomas you would have removed those pedals as quickly as you could had you known, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the only reason I put him there in the first place was because I thought she would like it, not terrify her into disappearing off the face of the planet.
Speaker 1: It wasn't like, let's scare a little bit.
Speaker 3: Remember she liked horror movies.
Speaker 1: You told us that.
Speaker 5: Something scary.
Speaker 4: I should have wrote, I'm watching you on.
Speaker 3: The it's actually Rob Coms. It terrified her.
Speaker 1: But I mean, just from from hearing from him, Diane, I think his intentions were very pure, very like, kind and thoughtful and nice, not trying to overwhelm you with love. I've just got lost in translation.
Speaker 7: Really yeah, yeah, I guess I panicked and I just ran.
Speaker 1: This conversation is going better, Thomas, Do you still want us to play the romantic violin music as the question?
Speaker 3: I thought it was the quartet.
Speaker 1: You know what, We're gonna skimp all of that and just go right to the question, which is, Diane, would you like to go out on another date with Thomas that we would pay for and before she answers Thomas, is there anything else that you just want to say to her to try and convince her to go out with you one more time? Now's your chance.
Speaker 4: I don't appreciate being ghosted like that, but I did enjoy our date and I would like to do another. Are you guys really playing?
Speaker 1: I didn't play anything.
Speaker 4: That was just natural.
Speaker 1: That was the universe puts a conversation.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 1: I don't know what you're talking about. Keep going, Thomas.
Speaker 4: No, No, I would love to go on a second date with you, and I will clothing down.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that is so sweet, Dan. What do you think Dan? One more date?
Speaker 7: I mean yeah, I would love to go another date. I just it was just a lot. And now that I know you were coming from a good place like it's you know, that's a little different. I'm sorry I.
Speaker 1: Panished, Thomas. How are you feeling? Are you happy?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I feel better if he was getting a hold of her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we need we need to sound happier than that to match the music.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is the perfect ending, as you got your second date.
Speaker 1: Jeffrey in the morning.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 1: I did not want to say this while we were on the phone and possibly ruined the good vibes and the good moment that was happening.
Speaker 3: Maybe you shouldn't say it now that I'm just saying.
Speaker 1: It sounds like Thomas is going to finally quit the dating apps.
Speaker 3: Oh, because he's going to be in a relationship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because he's given up on love, because he actually found someone for the long haul. At least hopefully he has to give up.
Speaker 2: Regardless, I think he's going to freaker out even more on date three or four.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't know if they seem like I really want this to work. I just don't know if they're the best match.
Speaker 1: I think the more they communicate, the better.
Speaker 3: That's true that four hours together they didn't communicate.
Speaker 1: It dial back the communication in some areas up in other areas. We do an update update with them in a few months, and Diane is actually happy about the roses and the gin waiting at.
Speaker 2: The Tajoh, She's never getting that again for the rest of their relationships.
Speaker 1: I just want them to be on the same page, to come on and they're glowing and lapping over their first pregnancy scare WHOA. That's my dream for them, just having a great time.
Speaker 3: You have a different idea of fun, but yeah, sounds good anyway.
Speaker 1: We want to help you have fun in your dating life. Email the show, we'll call that person who's not calling you back, and you can always listen to any of our second date updates wherever you get your podcasts at Brook and Jeffrey