Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of Merche Church Stage Bushler Sturgs trender uh that one courtesy of uh you and the editor and AI and some exciting new advances in AI. Yeah, because superproducer Catherine Law also brought this clip to our attention.
Speaker 2: Yep, I think it's good to juxtapose it with one headline where the head of Google's Deep mind AI said society isn't prepared for artificial general intelligence. True. Oh, AI's pop hu and.
Speaker 1: The n official general intelligence is going to be wild if they ever get to make it.
Speaker 2: Also, we're not prepared for whatever this bullshit is you unleashed on.
Speaker 1: So what do we have right now? Let's take a look at what what is operational at the moment. So, yeah, super.
Speaker 2: Producer Catherine the stick talk video of a guy the closing interview. Yeah on zoom it said when they interview you using AI, and it's clearly some avatar trying to say, okay, great, let's touch base and it gets caught in some demonic AI loop to touch it gets worse.
Speaker 1: Best touch.
Speaker 2: Anyway. Yeah, we're not it isn't even prepared to say let's touch base later. Yeah, I feel like it was, let's touch base later, but every time they got to the l they would start over, let's touch base again.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Anyways, shout out to AI. We are not prepared for you or not.
Speaker 2: You're right prepared.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean when when it comes, if it comes, you know, if we just allow Google to keep burning down the entire planet's rainforest for six decades, we'll get to see them there. Well, it's gonna be. It's gonna blow your mind how easy it is for them to replace you. How easy their AI bots say, let's touch space later, as they're.
Speaker 2: These like AI preachy people, or they're like, it's like and it will help solve climate change when it gets to that level of like intelligence. But it wrote that logic reminds me of like the Boogie Night scene where Mark Wahlberg and John c Riley are trying to get a record deal but not pay for the demo that they recorded, Like you got to pay. It's like, no, but we need the tape to get the deal to pay you. Brandon, It's like, yeah, no, that's not how it works.
Speaker 1: I can do more quick, so I could do more work, so I could buy more coke, so I could do more work so I could buy more.
Speaker 2: No, is gonna more carbon and then eventually we'll get there. No, no, no, no, we won't.
Speaker 1: We will not. Let's see so big news out here in Hollywood. The Hollywood Reporter, La Times, all these places are covering Trump's planned movie tariff, where he just like over the weekend, was like, I'm going to do a one hundred percent which seems very scientifically arrived at one hundred percent tariff on all Hollywood movies being made out of anywhere else. And he claimed to have done very strong research on how Hollywood is being destroyed. But despite the Office of the US Trade Representative said that those services that he's planning to subject to tariffs are not subject to tariffs, and that in nineteen eighty eight, Congress passed a law quote explicitly barring the president from regulating in any way the import or export of things like movies, books, and music. But everyone's just treating this like, oh no, what are What's Hollywood going to do? Now? It's like he can't. He just said he's going to a thing that you can't do.
Speaker 2: I'm putting a one tariff on foreign ghosts across the board. And then rather than being like what the fuck is this guy talking about? Like a La Times headline would I'll be like, oh boy, foreign ghosts are in for a bit of economic trouble with their new tariffs, Like.
Speaker 1: How are the foreign ghost manufacturers going to react to Trump's new gambit?
Speaker 2: And small business owners who import for foreign ghosts for their livelihoods?
Speaker 1: Like what? The statute couldn't be more plain? According to a global regulations law expert, Congress in nineteen eighty eight, specifically said the president does not have the power to regulate this.
Speaker 2: Even like their legal opinion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly what the fuck do Zach? I know? Even if something like a tariff could be enacted, the film industry is actually one of the country's strongest exports.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like that does a lot of heavy lifting for this empire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like the one thing that we still do better than other countries in some case, and that like still is influential in other countries. And so trying to suddenly be like and now nobody can do stuff anywhere else is like risking starting a trade war at a thing that like is America, Like America still more like a.
Speaker 2: Trade war people like countries just be like, all right then, like we just won't show the fucking movie, and Hollywood has been frothing at the mouth for the Chinese audiences.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's all they care about. How's it going to do overseas?
Speaker 3: You do?
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly. I don't know, y'all. Y'all gave this man money, so why don't you figure it out?
Speaker 1: Much like today's Alcatraz story, we wanted to kind of get a sense of where did this come from? This idea that he so strongly researched, like he did a research. Dude, just might word, don't look into it. It turns out that this idea is probably thanks to uh, the movie star whose most recent project was being the second build lead of the Charge Weber vehicle high ground A John Voight. Oh oh, one of Trump's special ambassadors to Hollywood, in addition to Sylvester Stallona mel Gibson. All three guys who are at the top of Hollywood. So it made sense to the top. Yeah, at the top peak performance.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and let's try just mumbling on. He's like, exactly exactly, sy That's why I have you here as my special ambassador. But so Voight said that he met with Trump at mar A Lago over the weekend to pitch his plan for how to save the movie industry. It also involved Voight's manager's firm, SP Media Group, who issued a press release clarifying that their proposal also included federal tax incentives, significant changes to several tax codes, the establishment of co production treaties with foreign countries, and infrastructure subsidies for theater owners, film and television production companies, and post production companies. Wait, so they're like basically like, Okay, I know you heard we talked to Trump, but that's not what we were.
Speaker 1: Not what we said. We did suggest tariffs in certain limited circumstances, but Trump just zoned out during their pitch, woke up when you heard the word tariff and was like, yeah, tariffs, that's what's happening. Just no understanding of what's possible. The president of SP Media Group was also at the meeting with Trump and told Bloomberg that they suggested that tariffs could be used to punish bad actors who take their entire production overseas. Speaking of bad actors, High Ground, John Voy's latest movie, produced by SP Media Group and filmed in.
Speaker 2: It looks like a Western, so like Montana, Bulgaria.
Speaker 1: Hey, uh huh Bulgaria. But that's obviously just one movie John Voice project before that, also by SP Media Group, Man with No Past, which has like a young man on a motorcycle with.
Speaker 2: Like Chicago, it looks like New York.
Speaker 1: That's New York, right, Yeah, there's New York in the background, so obviously that was shot in Bulgaria. Oh and strangers that that one even has John Voyd on the fucking poster. Broye, another Void SP Media Group joint made in Bulgaria. You're gonna guess.
Speaker 2: I thought, maybe maybe I know the rule of threes and everything, and it's really well and that's a place so many people are talking about how Eastern Europe is where a lot of productions are landing because it's much cheaper. Like that's the problem. It's that the fucking tariffs. It's that that people can't afford to live and everything. The cost of everything is being driven up. So if the labor is going up, it's because the fucking rents people have are going up and their bills are going up.
Speaker 1: Everything to do with the cost of living in America has been going going up and up and up for decades and the only thing that hasn't been going up is the average wage. So yeah, this is what you're going to have if you don't address that, which is the root cause of it and also the one thing that they will absolutely refuse to address. What a fucking weekend this dude had, Like do you think.
Speaker 2: That then opened him up to the idea of being inspired by film? And then he's later that weekend see on AMC. Let's catch a flick. Yeah, he's like a bridge over river. Kuhi, we need we need one of those. What I just need a.
Speaker 1: One of the most iconic rivers.
Speaker 2: I was just talking to the Crown Prince as I call him Lawrence of Arabia, some of you call him something else, but.
Speaker 1: I mean his sons were talking to the Crown Prince. His sons were on a Did you see that story that they were just on a two week heater across them Trump boys just did like a grift tour where they're just like adding billions and billions of dollars or like millions and millions of dollars of investment into Trump comp like just funneling money to the sitting president.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, Trump Dubai then like people are using crypto to buy shit. It's all it's so transparent and it's so honest. But again, like, yeah, these people truly are like Daddy's thed Like it's truly the energy feels like Daddy's the president. We fuck it all, Like what's gonna happen?
Speaker 1: First term, we were like, but the emolument's clause And now it's just everybody's fucking Henry Hill narrating Goodfellas, just being like right, and nobody, nobody gives a fuck. Everybody's fucking somebody over what do you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, this is a note to people running to oppose this shit. Maybe also say these people will be held to account and actually, ah.
Speaker 1: M, yeah, I mean now that they have made it so that you can just arrest whoever the fuck you want, maybe you should. Maybe that would be a smart message for uh whoever run a lot of them. But yeah, we're already falling, We're already sliding. It's like a keys. You can't be in the middle of the water slide and be like never mind, right right, right, Yeah, let's take a quick break. We'll come right back and we're back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're back.
Speaker 1: And uh so Newark Airport doesn't work anymore. This is the first major that they've just had to come out and be like, yeah, I don't know, man, I wouldn't fly here if I were you, Like, I know people who had to fly to New York and have had to like rush to change their flights, which costs a shitload of money. But like it's just they So the first thing that happened is air traffic controllers at Newark Liberty International Airport briefly lost communication with planes under their control. Unable to see here or talk to them. Oh my god, like just everything gone. The first line of defense went down and the backup also went down, and then all of those people were like traumatized by that, and so a handful of them are out on leave. And because air traffic controllers are not in any way protected and you know, just a very weakly organized industry, they just don't have enough of them to replace them, and their page poorly so they can't attract new people there. It's just one of those things. It's like, you know, the is just a new level of falling apart.
Speaker 2: Well, and it's so delicate too that like if there is a quote traumatic event, those traffic controllers can take time off to go see like mental health people you like, work through that, and like a lot of people are like, bro, that's the worst thing that could happen, right because you're in charge of, you know, pushing tin as they say, I saw that movie and then suddenly you go completely can't see hear nothing. They're saying, like when outage was thirty seconds, another one was like sixty to ninety seconds. Jesus, what a fucking scary story to have to And again it just all goes back to like our crumbling infrastructure. Like they even admit they're like their control not the best.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And they were in the process of doing a big replace, repair and replace on the infrastructure for all this stuff, and Elon Musk came in and was like, no, fuck fuck that, we're gonna replace it. We're gonna do Starlink. So they like this multi year project that was coming to its end was torn out basically, yeah, and now starting starting it's.
Speaker 2: Still I know Elon's left quote unquote, but he's still responsible for everything. Yeah, so don't don't let him get away with this ship. But yeah, like what a fucking nightmare. Like And also hearing one of the people who was working on the systems. I think it was actually the Secretary of Transportation, Sean Duffy, who said, like, quote, we use floppy discs, we use copper wires. The system that we're using is not effective to control the traffic that we have in the airspace today. Okay, yeah, so what the fuck are you doing about it? The fucking World Cup is next year in the United States. Yeah, I mean maybe.
Speaker 1: People will be by a bunch of scared on and what's your problem? Who cares?
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, we're gonna do a bunch of math and we're gonna steal a bunch of copper wire this thing back on track.
Speaker 1: That's where we're at. Honestly, like to pay you know, air traffic controllers a living wage or just like get them to do math, and like just really fucking.
Speaker 2: I have no idea. This is yeah air traffic Like were you it's we truly we hang by a thread.
Speaker 1: It's like, yeah, all those invisible things that people, you know, behind the scene, we've been counting on for a long time and behind the scenes are being like privatized. And then you know the answer to privatization or the result of privatization is always just like working people longer, harder and taking care of people worse until you can't find people who want to do your fucking shitty job. And yeah yeah, And then also cut to the solution is the Trump administration coming in and being like a top us place, like what we do things a little differently around here, and just like tearing all the fucking Yeah no, we don't really fuck with safety.
Speaker 2: Oh you mean being a fucking scaredy cat asshole.
Speaker 1: Yeah no. There's also a story that ninety percent of people in America use weather forecasts, job market reports, and food safety warnings and other information that's based on federal science, but only ten percent of respondents are concerned that cuts to federal support for science are going to impact that all that stuff. So it's just again, it's like all these things that are happening in the background have been happening in the background for a while getting worse because of neoliberalism, and the answer has been an administration that comes in it is just like, well, we just like don't do that anymore, We just like don't it like doesn't matter, you don't have to worry about that at all. And there were just like I'm trying to figure out what is that going to look like, Like there's no there's not going to be people inspecting food safe, like just food poisoning is going.
Speaker 2: To go up. You know, what's a good way to actually familiarize yourself. Adam Conover did a show on Netflix called The G Word a few years ago where the whole thing was like about like talking about the things that government does well and doesn't do well, but like going to like a USDA facility, going to speak with these people. And if you watch the show in the context of these people probably won't be doing this work anymore, it will fucking terrify you. Yeah, like truly, truly, truly like that for me, I think a lot of this stuff when I'm like, I was able to sort of like really wrap my mind around, and it's from like seeing a few episodes of that show. I'm like, oh, right, the weather or like how we fucking keep our food safe or money or diseases. Yeah, So I don't know, like starmers rely on that ship, like the satellite, it's in all that.
Speaker 1: Shit that's in the sky there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And isn't tuberculosis Coming back to.
Speaker 1: There's a medium bargo on that, because that's going to be like a Beyonce drop where they like just tell us all it wants nobody, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, surprise album on you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't be surprised if a little old friend something that used to be so hot of the is suddenly the war all right and finally exciting news. I don't know if this was the plan all along or if this is a panic move, but Marvel has renamed Thunderbolts What After after the movie came out after its opening weekend. Now it's called New Avengers. No it is not. Yeah, it just like changes the title on movie posters and like billboards and ship around the city and around around the world. What there's apparently like a twist in the post credit scene that this.
Speaker 2: Is oh spoiler alert from.
Speaker 1: Well, they've now spoiled it with a with the title. So I don't know, am I allowed to? Am I allowed to spoil the thing that they've spoiled by changing the title? Wow?
Speaker 2: Okay, So okay, I get it. So they're they're called the New Avengers at the end.
Speaker 1: So they're called Okay, Brian the editor watched it, they're called the New Avengers at the end, but like, why not call it that in the first place, or why not just leave that as a twist at the end? Why change the title after the opening weekend? Other than like, I guess it's probably makes sense to marketers.
Speaker 2: I think, I maybe it must be.
Speaker 1: They've been promoting the change by posting videos of the posters being swapped out, including one by Sebastian Stan.
Speaker 2: Sick sick sick. That's so foolish, makes no sense. It feels like such a weird move, Like why it's not gonna I mean, I guess maybe the thought and then we call it New Avengers. That's going to create a new wave of interest in the movie. So people will go and they're like, oh, it's the New Avengers. But then when they don't see any the actual Avengers in it, it'll be too late. We already have their money.
Speaker 1: And then right in your face, loser, it's not those Avengers, fucking idiots, or like.
Speaker 2: Is this like a bad bob By, like a C suite idea. I think it's probably Avengers. It's doing well, let's call it New Avengers. Well then we have to switch out the then change the posters.
Speaker 1: So apparently the name Thunderbolts is a dumb joke in the movie. But however, like I got so tired just trying to like even like look into why why this is happening?
Speaker 2: It's yeah, it's confounding, and then even when you find out, you're like, oh, okay, yeah fine.
Speaker 1: The some other renaming things that the history of renaming. First of all, the new Mission Impossible movie, so the first Mission Impossible the first of the Final Mission Impossible. Because the last Mission Impossible movie was two parts, so Mission Impossible, uh, was Dead Reckoning part one, and then it didn't do well at the box office, and so they've changed that movie's title to just Mission Impossible, Dead Reckoning, and now Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part two is now Mission Impossible, Final Reckoning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's it. It's the titles, guys. I think that's going to do it. It's not that we've seen nine thousand times, Like I confuse all the Mission Impossible movies now, like I can't keep any of them straight except for the one with Homeboy that Died?
Speaker 1: Which one?
Speaker 2: Uh? Why am I like so bad at names today?
Speaker 1: Homeboy who Died?
Speaker 2: Who is Scotty McDonald no, the redheaded guy.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, sorry, anyway.
Speaker 2: That's where I'm at. That's where I'm at with this. Okay, so that's now The Final Reckoning, Great.
Speaker 1: Mission Impossible, The Final Reckoning. Another Tom Cruise movie, Edge of Tomorrow. It's name changed to Live Die Repeat for home video. I just feel like, yeah, yeah, yeah, that movie was called Edge of Tomorrow, and then when it came out on home video, they were like, what if we just give it a new name and everyone's confused because this name makes it sound like a straight to DV John Boyd movie.
Speaker 2: I would love some analysis on what data they looked at that were like okay, yeah, we're doing this, we're having that.
Speaker 1: I mean, agra Tomorrow does suck as a title, I will say, and thunderbolts. Okay. So this does explain because every time I saw the title, there was an asterisks and I was like, this is probably some lower shit that like I don't want to look into. But I guess the asterisks was previewing, yeah, being like haha, this fake title alert. But Brian, you watched the movie and it's you said, Brian, the editor said, is the best movie I've ever seen, So.
Speaker 3: Honestly, I don't give a shit about Marvel movies, but it was enjoyable, especially at someone who doesn't keep up with the Marvel movies anymore. Like, I don't know where any of these characters came from, but the movie was enjoyable and the villain was better than usual.
Speaker 1: Is Elaine the villain?
Speaker 3: She is a she's like a big bad but it's she's more of like a bureaucratic villain. She hasn't big bad bureaucratic, but he's not throwing punches or anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's just like and.
Speaker 3: The actual villain is you know that better than your usual third string marble villain.
Speaker 2: Sicker than your average Some would even say he doesn't.
Speaker 1: Heard the ship out of me twist cabbage off instinct. Yeah, man, was what were we saying earlier on tomorrow's episode that who should have been a batman villa? Oh? Anton Sugar batman villain. Yeah, that would have worked. Anton Sugar as just like a Nolan batman villain, you know.
Speaker 2: Just and like as just a regular dude who's looking for Bruce Wayne all the time.
Speaker 1: He's got two faces. Like a lot of people are mad at Cormack McCarthy for you know, being a fucking pervert. But not enough people are mad that he ripped off Two Faces gimmick with Anton Sugar with the coin flip thing. You know, damn, they're probably just watch Dark Night. I was like, oh, damn, dog, that's so sick.
Speaker 2: That's sick, dude. If you fit the coin bro. I don't know if chronologically they one does the other, but hey, anyway.
Speaker 1: There's that Two Faces flipping coins before.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah in the comics.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, I'm a part of his whole ship flipping coins. All right. Those are some of the things that are trending on this Tuesday, May sixth. We are back tomorrow with a whole ass episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourself, get the vaccine, get your vaccines while you still can't get your flu shot. Don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to you all tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Well,