Speaker 1: Warning. Today's episode contains spoilers for episode two of Lanterns on HBO Max b Warted. Hello, it is Jason Concepcio and I'm raisey night and welcome back to the extra vision of the podcast wed A DVD, Favorite Shows, Movies, Coments, My culture comb or where were you of the episodes we listeners.
Speaker 2: In today's episode, we are recapping Latin's episode to trust for Trustfall. Hope you like aliens and hot sci fi guys because we're gang weird.
Speaker 1: Let's get into it. It is not the earliest morning after seven am, Rushville, Nebraska, twenty sixteen. I think seven am after seven pretty late for a Lantern trainee to be waking up. But he's but John is is cozially asleep, tucked in in bed. Hal Jordan sneaks into the hotel room and dumps a bucket of water on his trainee. Get up. Time to learn to fly? How's instructions are extremely minimal. He gives John, He gives you the ring, says put it on and fly. That's it, Just fly.
Speaker 2: How as bad as a trade now, I'm not gonna lie this episode.
Speaker 3: He's not doing great as a trader.
Speaker 1: It's easy for how to you know to say after one many years of wearing the ring, and two the fact that he's a pilot, so thank you, has that innate instinct for flight, which John does not have. Former marine in this telling apparently not no architecture back. But we're let's let's see, let's see. But John tries really hard, goes up on his stoopy toes and everything like he's masturbating in the shower.
Speaker 3: It's crazy.
Speaker 2: It's crazy that the toe the toe positions on the toes were cracking me up.
Speaker 1: I was like, okay, he does not say flight. He instead conjures a small green bird like the Song of the Sparrow basically, which is not big, which is not not does not seem like a big deal until John takes off the ring because it's almost dead, very little charge left in it, hands it back to Hal, who powers it down and notices the bird does not disappear.
Speaker 2: Yes, very interesting is an implication of John's power.
Speaker 1: Very very interesting. Hal takes note of this, conceals his curiosity about.
Speaker 2: It, trying to act like he's not interested, but we're all watching him be like yes'm and replaced like and then he gives John a new task, which is take take this here airline ticket, fly in a window seat, probably coach back to Coast City, get my lantern from my house, and don't let this little bird die.
Speaker 1: That's your other. That's really your big task. Remain focused on the bird, and if you lose focus, the bird will disappear and you fail this task. Also feed a pet, which you will discover what it is. John goes off. Hal goes alone back to the bleachers where the quadruples shooting took place, and he notices the metal detectors all around the football field. He goes into town. He's like, where the fuck is everybody's streets are empty. He flies up completely dead in town. He flies up, sees all the cars parked by the meeting hall or whatever you know local like Knights of Columbus or whatever. His ring dies. He falls to the ground and he has to walk over to this meeting hall and when he gets inside he notices one more metal detectors and two that the conversation just stops. When he walks in, he says, hey, were you all talking about me? He notices Sheriff Macon up on the stage at the mic with the other luminaries of the town around her, and it really does seem like they were.
Speaker 3: Talking about him, yeah, definitely, or.
Speaker 1: Talking about something that they don't want him to know about.
Speaker 2: It was very like, you know the moment in American we welf in London where you walk in and everyone in the bar stops barring. It's like the I was giving that sure.
Speaker 1: Sheriff Macon is like, no, no, no, we were talking about, you know, there's been this very traumatic quadruple shooting, and we were talking about whether this week's football game should go forward. Very normal stuff. How goes in, he sits down, Billy Macon, his lawyer. Sheriff Macon's husband comes sits next to him and is like, hey, good good news. Chargers have been dropped. You don't have to pay me, and you can leave, like you should leave great weather, like you should, like you could yeah, like, and it really does seem like, you know, Billy would would like love him to leave. Over in Coast City, JS arrives at How's shockingly palatial mansion to find outside numerous rocks where a key could be its pile of there's like a hedge or like a what would you call it? Like a hedge.
Speaker 2: It's almost like it's it's almost sort of like a planta, but just full of rocks.
Speaker 1: Hello, there's a there's a long hedge that's like twenty yards long leading up to the front door, and all below that is rocks.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: So he calls Hal to get the right rock and is like how much do you make? Like how much? Islanders? Like how? And All's like, no, the house is a gift. I saved the guy's kid and he was wealthy and he couldn't help. But he just gave me a house, and I'd let him give me a house.
Speaker 2: House says not enough, but it's like, maybe you could have sold this house.
Speaker 1: The house is like a millionaires of dollars. Could have made eighty million dollars selling the house, Like how did the chandeli is? You still would have to pay properly taxes right on the on the on the first of all, getting the house, he'd have to pay the taxes and then whatever. So he's making he's making good money. Inside, it's like Hal never really moved in, but he did put it up. The pictures of himself with like the Pope and all these other famous people. Hal is describing it to John like where the lantern is. Go to my closet. He's got this huge walking closet that's like the size of my house. And in there is the safe, and the safe is a pocket dimension and here's how you get into it.
Speaker 3: James loves the pocket dimension.
Speaker 1: Love a pocket It is really cool. So yeah, you know, he gets the safe open. John reaches in eventually does get the lantern. Out, sees the green lantern suits and is like and clearly entranced by these suits, and he's like, hey, hell, do you need me to bring a suit, and How's like, don't worry about it. John goes out to feed Earl, who is out in the greenhouse, which is this entire separate other house because my apology, Yeah, goes out there and and Earl turns out to be a carnivorous little horror style alien plant living on the property. While they are having this conversation, how is stealing bodies from this scene?
Speaker 3: This shows you, I think, I mean, I don't know like it.
Speaker 2: I think it shows you how much jurisdiction the green Lains have and how this scene because like this is such a ridiculous scene. There's just like anyone else is getting arrested if they do this right.
Speaker 3: But Jon's like, fuck it, I can do I.
Speaker 1: Wan so how uh so? How steals these bodies from the morgue and puts them in the rental, takes them over to the football field where he discovers that these metal detectors are actually very very advanced alien detectives. Oh remember, there are multiple species of aliens that cannot be detected by any kind of known scientific means, so these are super super advanced tech.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Sheriff Macon pulls him over as he's driving around town with multiple dead alien bodies that look like humans.
Speaker 3: Are naked in the car.
Speaker 1: It looks very naked, naked and dead in the car, and they have a conversation about what's going on. How's like, this is exactly what you think it is. It's very clear that she knows a lot about what's going on in town. She knew about the alien detectors. She knows what her father in law is up to, but she won't say. She admits that he's very interested in aliens, which is not a crime, and she, like everybody else, would really like it if had left town. But she is like so I can do my job. You're actually like fucking up my job. Because the way she frames it is there is whatever her father in law is up to, it is a competing power center with her own authority in town, and how's continued presence in town is driving more people into the arms of her father in law, William Macon, and she would like that not to stop. But again she gives him very little information.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's and he kind of basically he kind of you can tell one.
Speaker 3: There's like this flirtation between the two of.
Speaker 2: Them, there is, there is a little bit they see them very fun in the in the scene in the town hall when she says hey Darlin to her husband and hall ants is back as well, like they do a good job at it, but he plays on her morals hair and kind of goes, well, whose side are you on because it kind of sounds like maybe you're on your husband's father's side and that's why you don't want me, And she kind of goes, well, actually, like maybe we can work something out. So I think that they're building on a fun, fun, little play allyship between those two.
Speaker 1: The theme of cooking is very present in the first two episodes of the Lanterns program in which Helen is trainee, JS certainly do appear to be actively attempting to cook notable figures in the town anywhere.
Speaker 2: You know what, we respect that respect it if that's your thing. In Clone adults, that's actually you don't have to be unafraid. You just really have to be into cuckolding other people. That's how they picked.
Speaker 1: The Green Lantern. Anyway, she agrees to take how to William Macon's militia ranch, which he manages for some unknown guy. Too. We don't have to basically at the end of the episode to basically just like whatever, you can talk to William yourself and just ask it. They go over there. They go inside the gate by like two steps, which is more than Sheriff Making really wanted how to go. She wanted him to stay outside and like, address will you Making from outside the property. But he's William lant her to do it right. William Acan just turns out to be at that gate of what I imagine is like a many many miles long perimeter of the product. He kind of rides over in his horse. He's like, stay out of there, stay out of here. I can't answer your questions because of the NDA. I can't talk about who's funding the thing. Yes, my boss really exists, stay out, don't take any further steps into my property. That man in the in the guard post over there in his orders to shoot house, like you crazy? Are you gonna shoot me? The sheriffs like he can legally do that? He's like, yeah, but I got the ring. What are you gonna do? But the rings out of power? He's bluffing and then a shot rings out? And how gets shot?
Speaker 2: Which, first of all, he was really pushing it like he was basically like, how can I get shot?
Speaker 3: Second of all, we have to answer ask this question here.
Speaker 2: The implication of I don't think it's unconnected that they introduce a pocket dimension in this episode, and then they also introduce high tech alien kind of technology that shouldn't exist in America.
Speaker 3: In nineteen ninety six is lex.
Speaker 2: Luc No way, it's two thousand six, Oh too, sorry, sorry sorry twenty sixteen. I got my three timelines mixed up bevid in twenty sixteen it shouldn't exist.
Speaker 3: Yeah, are we saying?
Speaker 2: I think it's safe to say that they want us to at least think that Lex Luthor is the boss of this it's I think that is at.
Speaker 3: Least the implication will have.
Speaker 2: There's gonna be a lot of questions at the end of this episode that we can have some fun theorizing on, and that's one of them. But I think the note of the high tech alien, you know, finders and the pocket dimension, if we think about Superman, I think they're wanting us to make those connections. I think it's also a red herring. Probably looking at this show.
Speaker 1: I do think it's a red herring as well. I think they're going in a very straightforward direction based on what is revealed later. But I do agree with you.
Speaker 3: I think like they want the fans to feel that way.
Speaker 1: For a general non comics reading audience, I think they're meant to wonder if this is Lex exactly. For the people who have read comics and Green Lantern comics in particular, and or or have some familiarity with the lore, I think what this is probably seems pretty obvious to the point that I wonder if that's even around.
Speaker 3: That's why I'm trying to work out too. But we'll talk about that more.
Speaker 1: We will talk about that, Martin anyway, So while that was happening in Nebraska, John is getting kidnapped. Oh oh, he gets tased immediately after leaving house house, wakes up in a van with a bag over his head. They take the bag off. He's talking to one of the guys like, where's my bird? He's like, your bird is fine?
Speaker 3: Can I just the guys out and still alive?
Speaker 2: So just think about what that means to his willpower, intensity, for his connection to the lantern and to this is the truth about John Stewart's powers in the comics. He doesn't always need the ring. So let's just say that they are leaning in to that here. Also want to say great action scene. This for me is the best one we've had so far in my action scene.
Speaker 1: And I will say this episode I was maybe I was I had put some doubts upon the emotional bandwidth of mister Pierre as an actor. I think he's great in the sense he's unbelievable.
Speaker 2: I would also say the bird is like such a good aspect to bring because we know he's vegan, we know he cares about animals, We get the kind of connection with him and Earl. It really adds a different layer to what we got last week, which was kind of this stoic, militarized kind of just he's he's the good one. He knows what he's doing, and John and Hal is kind of the silly like older guy who's.
Speaker 3: A little bit off rogue.
Speaker 2: The RMPS stuff in this is so good. And also I just want to shout out the writer specifically, because I don't know when I've ever seen such a fun just like somebody running down the highway action scene, Like it feels like a movie.
Speaker 3: When you're watching it, You're like, I want to watch this ship.
Speaker 1: He's a he was a track athlete. No, so I think that, like he's.
Speaker 2: Just he just looks good as hell.
Speaker 3: He's running down that highway and I was.
Speaker 1: Like, well, we've skipped ahead. So he does. He finds out that the bird is fine fine. He ends up fighting one of his captors, escapes from the van, goes running beautifully beautiful powerful strides as he goes running down the highway with the lantern in his weekend or bag slung across his back, but the attackers when they get him back, he wakes up again in an abandoned building and a man sitting across room who's kind of who's you know, apologetic about what's happening, like sorry for the violence. Tell me about the bird. How is how Jordan keeping the bird like alive and existing despite the fact that he's so far away, And John is like, no, I'm doing that, and and the guy is like, holy shit, that's fucking I thought if John was doing that from miles away, that would be impressive, but actually this is like, really really impressive. He discovered. He introduces himself as an alien named Anton. He says, we're all aliens. We don't want to kill you, we want to recruit you because of this manhunter issue we're having. Do you know anything about manhunters? Like, I've never what's a man hunters? So really you don't. You're agree you don't know anything, and they're and he's like, no, I've never heard of manhunters. It's like holy shit. Okay, well, we're gonna give you the lore about manhunters and we're gonna upload it directly into your mind. And it's very, very troubling. It is.
Speaker 2: I also want to tell you if it seems fabilia to you like it's from the Turtles, it's because the Manhunters were created by Jack Cubby, who also created the Tunnels, and it's exactly the same story.
Speaker 3: I love you guys.
Speaker 1: So the law is this before the before the Core was created. The Guardians, in a time of total chaos, needed a police force, so they created the Manhunters. This is pre Core, and they were these synthetic kind of robots.
Speaker 2: In this that kind of like synthetic being. Do you know we could they kind of more very high tech robots if they are, but they are like Manhunters, their shape shifters. Yes, they can pauses any species undetected.
Speaker 1: They can build weapons beyond anything that the occupied world the worlds that they occupied could produce. They wiped out civilizations, including ant Huon's civilization, which you know, like is a horrible experience, and this is what they want to share with John, So they put the memories of the destruction of this civilization into John. Also, Aton and the other aliens their homeworld like really trusted the Guardians. So this like this destruction by the creation of the Guardians was an immense, immense, immense betrayal. It's clear that the experience of these traumatic memories is very, very painful for John. He screams, but the bird stays existing, stays.
Speaker 2: Flying even when he's being traumatized and terrorized and being like literally fed generational trauma. Like it shows how innate that the powers are. To John, I also want to say this is very interesting because I was thinking a lot about your theory from the pilot about the corruption of the Guardians. I do think that there is that layer to it. But I also think it's gonna be this kind of like I think we're gonna get introduced to like two sides of the Guardian mentality, well, like the conflict between the Guardians and kind of how they think you should play the universe.
Speaker 1: We will talk about this more because I do have I have amended my theory slightly, although I still believe that.
Speaker 3: I think I think it's just why yeah, and yes, I agree.
Speaker 1: So Anton is like, hey, that was terrible, right now you understand why we have to do what we were going to do. We have to find this man Hunter and kill it and you know, get justice for our people, but also like make the galaxy safe because it's a very very dangerous being and we can't get into the town undetected because of the technology that they have, but you can so you go in there, call us on this burner phone, and then we will go in there and kill it. And if you don't do that, we will all go there and just detonate our suicide vests. And sadly that will destroy like the town and probably much of the state of Nebraska. But like, that's what we need to do.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 1: You have four for eight hours, or we will just just blow up half the state. Okay, let's go to a break and we'll be right back to finish out the recount. We're back. Hal wakes up in the hospital to find Sheriff Carrie making making Google eyes our Yeah, big big old Google eyes, and she says, hey, who's Sinestra? You were talking about him and you're sleep.
Speaker 3: Oh well you.
Speaker 1: Hal is extremely concerned about this, especially the fact that he's been like talking in his sleep about apparently like very very sensitive guardian stuff. But she's like, no, don't worry. Well, I googled Sinester and I learned.
Speaker 2: Some stuff about Also, like the internet was just loving this movement.
Speaker 3: They're like, imagine if you could just like google s.
Speaker 2: And fictional like it was just like law and I also did love like I gotta I want to know if there's some tiny, whimy, weird shit going on or something. I just love the way that like Hal just doesn't really seems he knows he's famous, but he's also always like ten years behind everyone else in that kind of knowledge base.
Speaker 3: I don't know. It's good.
Speaker 2: And obviously, like I do respect the writers for being like, we're just gonna put Kyle Chandler in a football stadium every day.
Speaker 1: I get it. I love it. So she's like, yeah, I google him. He is a former lantern. He led a coup, he tried to take over the Guardians, he killed some lanterns, and you brought him down and put him in jail. She then says, listen, you're fucking me up being here in town messing with William macan, getting involved in the whole thing. She makes it seem like, listen, I am dealing with it. I understand, and we're on the same side in that I understand that there's some complex issue use visa vi aliens and it's really weird. But you don't know what's going on. I know what's going on. Let me deal with it, Okay. They walk out of the hospital. Hal notices one else there's nobody else in the hospital, and all of the brand new equipment is like still bagged up.
Speaker 2: Not even as and it's expensive. And this is why I'm trying to say, I think this episode is really really fun for theory hounds because you can come out of this with like ten different reads on what the town is. And we're definitely gonna talk about that. But it's another fun thing we got to talk about.
Speaker 3: Jason.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I should add that among the many things that Hal is messing up, Sheriff Macon tells him is she's kind of like messing up her marriage. Like you're getting you're putting some waves under the boat of our marriage. And this gets how like sits up and is like trouble in your man?
Speaker 3: Am I He's good?
Speaker 2: I love cook holding He's like, yeah, like my whole thing, guys, me and my tradee we just really love ticking other people's wife.
Speaker 1: We want to cook anyway. He asks her finally, is like where are you from? And she's like, oh, it took you this long to like start taking an interest to me a question. So there is some there is a little bit of two way chemistry here for sure. It turns out she's from Gotham and she kind of moved here on a whim. John gets back into town, stops in at the diner to refuel, and who should he see but uh, wife of the cooked William macon Zoe sitting at the bar of the diner. She's like, don't earn a small town it happens. He's like, you know, I wouldn't have cooked. I wouldn't have done any cooking had I known that there was a husband to cook. But you know, absolutely untrue. When this man literally immediately.
Speaker 3: Went to Halla, was like, shit, I fucked his wife.
Speaker 1: Like he wants people to know, don't lie.
Speaker 3: You're not a shamed She.
Speaker 1: Doesn't seem all that troubled by it. Honestly, they talk about their husband, they talk about and this is I think a really well written this interaction that really makes me think this show has like some sort of some juice. She is like, you know, white guys they don't they they don't notice things really because they come to life with this privilege that you know, outsiders or people of color don't have. By the way, how's your white man doing? And and John is like, well, he sent me to California to pick up his clothes. Yeah, exactly, like hello, anyway, that's great, such good. John arrives back at the hotel. Hal is in his little sling, sitting in the parking lot in a little launch air. John throws the lantern bag at him and is like, fuck you, and he's brought the uniform, which Hal didn't ask him to bring, but it's there. How charges the lantern up with a quick recitation of the oath, almost like he doesn't even.
Speaker 2: Really he does not want to say it. He's kind of blah blah blaring his way through the oarth.
Speaker 1: Charges it up. They then argue John's like, why didn't you Why weren't you impressed by the bird? Why don't you say anything about the bird? By the way, I know now that the bird is a big, fucking.
Speaker 3: Fucking cool bit.
Speaker 1: You didn't say anything about how you know how cool a bird was. I was like, yeah, the bird was cool.
Speaker 2: Okay, likes you gotta say my job.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 1: Then John tells him everything that he wasn't supposed to tell him, that Anton told him that manhunters, the memories, the forty eight hours, the destroyed civilization. Hal is kind of blown away. He's like barely able to. He's like, what the hide? How fucking shook he is by all this? Forty eight hours? He's like, yeah, forty eight hours. John is like, are you gonna tell me what's going on? How's like no, but they kind of like work out the rest the Guardians would not have hidden a Manhunter on Earth, so something else is going on here. Hal is like, go to sleep, we'll talk about this later. And then when John goes into his hotel room, Hal like sneaks back out with the suit on, flies up to OA.
Speaker 2: I guess yeah, because because he kind of we're like, how kind of we kind of.
Speaker 3: Realized, like aben sa who's the one who gave How the ring?
Speaker 2: He obviously came here with the fucking man hunt and so then now directly connecting this mystery to How's origin, which I do think is a really cool, interesting twist. And he flies off the OA and you're like, oh, he must be going to see the Guardians.
Speaker 3: No, uh no, oh bitch, absolutely not.
Speaker 1: He walks straight to the Science sells to go talk to Sinestra. Sinestro is just kind of sitting there and How's like, what's going on with Manhunters? What do you know about manhunters? And Sneestra's like, well, if a manhunter did exist, it would only be the second greatest threat that you're facing. Tell me about John Stewart bomb.
Speaker 2: Because Sinestra is obviously gonna be his like Hannibalack thought it's gonna be that like kind.
Speaker 1: Of let's take a break and we'll come back and we'll talk about the episode and we're back. Okay. You were saying that Sinestro is like Hal's Hannibal Lecter, and I think that's exactly right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think they're doing that.
Speaker 2: I think that also, I really like this idea of the hat uh John as a threat to how because this is clearly a show about like legacy and moving on and finding your place in this like messed up cosmic world. And it's very clear that Hell does not want to give up the ring for whatever reason, and I think that Sinestro is clearly going to be playing on that in a way that's going to try and create conflict.
Speaker 3: But I also think.
Speaker 2: We got great moments this episode of hallan John's closeness, like the conversation about the bird really shows kind of their chemistry. So I don't think Sinestro is going to be able to do that. But interestingly, I actually like came away from this episode with more questions, like I love Sinestro and I think that's obviously a huge reveal. But Jason, who's your biggest pick for like who the Manhunter is? Because I think that's the biggest Like is it someone we've already seen? Is it one of the cut Why is it one of the wives?
Speaker 1: Like who is it?
Speaker 3: I mean, who's your I think we most likely to be matter.
Speaker 2: Sheriff Macon, Sheriff Macon, Zoey Definitely, Zoe's my number one right now.
Speaker 1: I'm then those two are the top leaders in the clubhouse. Now. So what I think is here's what I think is going. I think one that it's not it's obviously not known in this version of the DCU that the Guardians maybe had a Manhunter project that they I don't think it's I don't think that's I think that's probably some version of Guardians classified, like that's exact thing that people understand, And I think how must be worried that there are still factions within the Guardians who are involved with this and are doing something with it. Secondarily, I think the manhunter is the person who owns the land, Okay, William and who Will make In is working for. And that's why I think will is not super bothered about his wife stepping out, because I think his wife is actually the boss.
Speaker 2: That would actually be so sick. I really like that. I do think you're right. I think it could be a little bit too much what it seems like after the first After this episode, it's a little bit like, yeah, that would be that makes so much sense.
Speaker 3: I also wonder so that all.
Speaker 2: The alien tech, the alien detection and stuff. I also wonder if there's like an inverse version of it where there's actually tons of aliens working there, living there, and this is them trying to make sure that aliens they don't know get in.
Speaker 1: So there's like a.
Speaker 2: Segment of the town that is alien, and then there's the segment that is allegedly anti alien. I just feel like there's more going on in the town than we know. Like the hospital was essentially looked like a film set, right. It looked like a brand new hospital that no one had used. So it's like, who's building the town, what's the purpose of the town, how many people live in the town, how used is the town like, is the town affront for something else. I think that two episodes in they're really starting to broaden out the mystery in an interesting way and moving it away from a classical just like, Oh, someone else got murdered, it's another murder mystery.
Speaker 3: I think it's actually a really smart.
Speaker 2: Move because while I do love a classical murder mystery, the first episode that was not the aspect that hooked me. So I think moving more into this kind of green lantern space is definitely a really.
Speaker 3: Cool way to go.
Speaker 2: I'm also interested because the Manhunter's stuff could definitely tie into Superman, Lex Luthor, all that kind of futuristic stuff. We know right now that John Stewart is gonna be in Man of Tomorrow, we know how Jordan is gonna be in Man of Tomorrow. Allegedly we're gonna also see Blue Beetle in Man of Tomorrow. So I do feel like this is finally giving us a little bit of that connective tissue that we've.
Speaker 3: Been asking for. All the potential of it.
Speaker 1: What the potential the potential of it?
Speaker 3: What do you really want to see in an episode three? I think I still want.
Speaker 2: To see more John I need to see more John. I think I love the teases we got here, but I need to know about him and his dad. I keep going back to that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would like to know more about it. Really does appear that they've changed kind of classic John backstory and and I've done more of the I forget which animated series I think invented.
Speaker 2: Probably Justice League or Justice League Unlimited, and so it was there was Jeff John's who did the He the Man?
Speaker 1: Okay, So I really like to know more about which you know it like the backstory of John similarly, and what it is because in the comics it's like he's an architect, so he's able to create these you know, conjure thinks from the Ring that are much more deep and intricate and alive than yeah, anyone else could have done.
Speaker 2: It's like when they made Kyle Rayner was a cartoonist, right, he was an artist, so he had a bit more of that flare. But with John the it's these real beautiful Yeah, and that could explain as well, even though it's not necessarily. I think they're leaning in here to his veganism, his connection to the natural world, which I love, So maybe his understanding of like animals and birds and living things. That's why it was so easy for him to conjure the bird and keep it alive. And also in Justice League Unlimited, in the cartoons, in the shirt, in the comics, there are versions of John who doesn't have to wear the ring. He has the glowing green eyes he manifests from the he doesn't even really need the battery because he's so connected to OA, So I.
Speaker 3: Think we could be leaning into that.
Speaker 2: I also think that we're definitely gonna see Sinestro playing on this idea of how having like John being his replacement rather than like his trainee, you know. And I think that, well, I want to know more about how what happened to him? Why does he not want to be a green lantern anymore? Like I'm starting to care about why he's upset, And.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that we're going to discover that Sinestro, for whatever Sinestro did, he did it because this is the way he's going to frame it. Right. I don't know if this is right, but this is the way he's going to frame it to how he tried to take over the Guardian Corps because of this conspiracy that exists. Yes, has something, and I'm the wrong guy. I've been in prison. Yes, you took me down and imprisoned me, but you know I'm right, And you've been having these doubts for ten years now about actually imprison the right guy. And actually this is all tied up in because uh, you know, the Manhunters did two things in the comics that are interesting to me. One, they like trained local species to be like their servants and like be like in a like an occult around them.
Speaker 3: Doesn't that sound like? Sounds like.
Speaker 1: Sounds like what's happening? Right? And Two they were very interested in and against programs to like evolve races into like you know, higher forms and weapons to create basically superhero like Guardian programs or other alien programs to create like super beings. Very interesting and so which leads me to wonder if John is the result of one of these secret and Sinestro knew about it, and that's why Sinestro knows who John Stewart is. And so I want to see how the Guardians contact John like we don't. That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I need to know why John's dad knew who they were. I need to know why John knew who they were, and I need to know if the connection is John, if it's his.
Speaker 3: Dad, I need.
Speaker 2: I'm so interested in that, and I think that I feel like this was a really fun, crazy, action packed episode, and I would love like a bottle episode that kind of gives us more of that law, especially because right now I don't there's nothing I instantly need solved in the town like that can continue to slow burn, but we need to, probably, he says, tell me about John Stewart, So that would be a great opening here to have a John Stewart backstory.
Speaker 3: Jason, how do you feel I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 2: I did assume because of my beloved show that I thank you to the people who are happy I shouted this one out last episode Cruel Summer, the incredible freeform show. The way that worked was every single episode was the same day over three timelines.
Speaker 3: Really fun.
Speaker 2: I last episode we got the three different timelines to establish. Did you expect that every episode it would be a different Yeah.
Speaker 3: I didn't.
Speaker 2: I thought we would be jumping. So I'm interested to see why we end up next with the timeline.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wanted to. This is the next thing I did want to talk about because I do think I think it's clear. What's the way they're going to do this show. Is everything's going to happen in twenty sixteen the past. We're going to get to what happens with Hallan and Sheriff Macon. We're going to understand like the kind of struggle between to find out like what the mystery of the town is. But they're I think they're ultimately not going to fully satisfy whatever their the mystery is. They're not going to truly figure it out. And that's I think some somewhere around probably episode how many or ten episodes in this eight I think ten eight Somewhere around episode six, we're going to go to the twenty twenty six timeline.
Speaker 3: I think that's right.
Speaker 2: And then I'm interested to see if maybe on nineteen, if we get the nineteen ninety six flashback again, it will be back in that John timeline.
Speaker 3: Yes, maybe John, you know.
Speaker 2: So I'm interested, Yeah, so, okay, I'm interested to see. I would love to know where that goes next, because yeah, I think obviously the end of the pilot, it was such a big shocking twist, and I think a lot of people were really excited to just dive into John solving that mystery.
Speaker 3: So I'm interested. But I think this is a fun.
Speaker 2: Expansion of what to expect from the sci fi aspects. And we do get that suiting up scene and the flying scene, so they're kind of leaning a little bit more into that.
Speaker 1: Here's my other question, now that I'm thinking about it.
Speaker 3: M hmm.
Speaker 1: I was wondering, like, why doesn't the town react more the way they're acting towards Hal. It makes sense he's got to ring and everything, But why isn't the Manhunter worried about John? Does it not know about John? But now that I'm thinking, if if Zoe is the Manhunter, that's why she fucked Johns exactly. It's like she's learning, Yes, she wanted to check him out, like intimately check him out, and so she is in fact doing that.
Speaker 3: I mean, and I do kind of like your read on that too.
Speaker 2: Where and also, if we think about James Gunn, we think about the stories he's told on the TV shows for whatever, you know, we are people who love this stuff.
Speaker 3: We talk about it in a popular way, in a critical way.
Speaker 2: One thing we've celebrated throughout all of his DC work has been this kind of subversion and trying to tell stories that seem like they're making a statement, even if he's not someone who's going out saying this is what I'm doing.
Speaker 3: You can read it in the story.
Speaker 2: Obviously, Peacemaker had the town that Ian beloved ex super producer Ian clocked very early on was all white, and you got this really great reveal that it was this kind of neo Nazi Earth X. And then I think here there is a version where if Zoe is really the boss and she basically in charge of this white militia mansion, you get another very interesting James Gunn kind of context there. And then again obviously there is this cuckolding aspect like which is very James gun but very very interesting to imagine where that could possibly go. I'm also interested in them bringing in the Manhunters at all, yes, because I do feel like they have to be going somewhere quite big with it. So this really feels like as an HBO program that it could be.
Speaker 3: The one that really leads into Superman. In my opinion, if.
Speaker 1: If we are right and that the Lex thing is a fake out and this really is like a Manhunter cult, that's who's behind this. That's funding it somehow. How does this connect to the wider dc U that we've had established thus far.
Speaker 2: I think that it would be that they would still have connection and be financially supported to by Lex because Lex is the number one anti alien kind of person within the universe. So I think the fact they have the pocket Dimension technology, I think the fact that it is this alleged anti alien movement.
Speaker 3: I think it would be quite easy for them to kind of do that.
Speaker 2: Or on much more simple level is if the Manhunters are established as being here, they could just become an antagonist for Superman, because once you know, Superman is like out publicly and doing all this stuff, they it might start impacting the other aliens, you know, this kind of heightened amount of superpowered beings or aliens. Also, if they wanted to set up a kind of anti meta meta human movement, which they did in the CW and obviously has been done throughout the comics, the Manhunters could be kind of a leading charge of that if they felt like certain people were getting their powers from you know, alien technologies.
Speaker 1: Well, we're gonna be continuing youing our coverage of Lanterns every week on the next episode, of Extra Vision. We're diving into a vision quest deep dive that's in for this episode. Thanks for listening. Bye x ray Vision is hosted by Jason Concepcion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abuzafar.
Speaker 2: Our producers are Common, Laurent Dean Jonathan and Fay Wack.
Speaker 1: A theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 2: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi our discord moderator.