Speaker 1: You can't fail if you don't quit. I say, if you fall down seven times, get up eight and if you can look up, you can get up. It amazes me in times in life how we're afraid to move, how oftentimes we get stuck and fear and apprehension, feeling though as though we can't make it through the next day, or perhaps we're playing back yesterday. But you have to realize is that you have survived one hundred percent of the worst days of your life. So why would now be any different? Listen, I'm just asking the question because the fact of the matter is if you didn't make it, you wouldn't know, right, So what do you have to fear? It makes me think of that old track from Destiny's Child and for the Youngins. Yes, there was a time that Beyonce was once in a musical group and they had a song entitled Survivor. It says, I'm a survivor. I'm not gonna give up, I'm not gonna stop, I'm gonna work harder. I'm a survivor. I'm gonna make it. I will survive, keep on surviving. I'm here to tell you you're a survivor. I'm here to remind you your location is not your destination. I'm here to remind you that if you fall down seven times, get up eight. We got a lot to talk about, especially when we talk about geeing grade. So sit back, relax. I got some special treats for you. You know what time it is. It's that damn dawn, like the break of day. Good morning, good afternoon, good evening. You are tuned in to the Vitamin D with Dawn Day podcast and I am your host, Dawn Day, here to get you excited about your life so that you can live life on purpose and for a purpose. If this is your first time tuning in vocal Vitamin T, it's a pun of my name. My name is Dawn and you get invite themIn D from the sun. So I'm here shed light into your life. And I do this with inspirational insights and conversations with celebrities and everyday people like you and me, Because if you want to be better and you want to do better, then you're going to have to be able to see better. So join me on this journey of living our best lives and understanding and realizing how you are your greatest ass at get.
Speaker 2: Your invite in Indy right with me and get excited about your life.
Speaker 1: I say, why be good when you're supposed to be great. You woke up today, you found another reason to live life on purpose and for a purpose. Now listen, I'm gonna tell you right now, I need you to pull up. Go ahead and share the live with somebody else. Tell them that the damn dawing like the Breaka Day is live and full effect. I have some exciting news. One first and foremost, we're live on Facebook and YouTube. We're also live on tak tak and Instagram. This is the first ever. These are the things that I've been talking about. You can't fail if you don't quit. And we have some very special guests. I have some appetizing stories and advice letters, and we're gonna dive into an important conversation. As we know, October is Breast cancer Awareness month. I've shared with this on previous episodes of my podcast that my mother transitioned from stage four breast cancer. Well guess what, I got a survivor in the house, a three time cancer survivor. So don't tell me that if you look up, you can't get up. Don't tell me that you fail down seven times, and you're not gonna get up aged because I got somebody right now, right here backstage to tell you that the time is now to live your life. My special guests are Jan Austen as well as Chandra Fitzpatrick. Okay, that's all I'm gonna give you. So let's talk about some things that's going on. I'm so glad. Let me just say this that the dock workers strike was only for a few days, and that you know that they all came to a partial agreement so that the workers could go back to work. Now, I was just watching a lot of people out there were just panic buying, you know, running around like light bulbs hadn't been invented yet. People were just grabbing all the toilet paper off the shelves. Yeah, right, like toilet paper is going to put out a firefighter's jacket and save you all.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: And first of all, toilet paper is made here in America. We don't get our toilet paper shipped. And those containers that were sitting at the docks, and toilet paper isn't bulletproof, and there isn't and it isn't fireproof, and toilet paper is just playing useless when it gets wet from water and stuff. You know what I'm talking about. But people were acting like toilet paper is somehow going to magically save them. Don't get me started. And we were even to go way back during the beginning of the pandemic. For the life of me, I still can't understand why no one could find toilet paper on the show. I mean, folks were acting like the toilet paper was some secret agent that they can save the world. There's an idea for a show. Okay, picture it. A government manager and a spy agency talking to the toilet paper secret agent. He say something like, secret agent, toilet paper, can you break into these Chinese embassies and get these secrets off to save the world. And then the toilet paper would say something like this, can I get those secrets? Can can Mariah Carey make xmus money? Of course I can get those secrets from the embassy. Here, hold my beer. And while everybody is panic buying toilet paper, the toilet paper companies are all making a ton of money off of this, so they're not gonna tell you to stop panic buying. I mean, who does that inside their companies? It's raining millions of dollars and the fear. Hm, that's just food for thought. Oh I'm I'm so glad that Hurricane Milton wasn't as bad as they said it was going to be. Thank God. You know, I was sitting and I was praying, and I was thinking about all of you in the hurricanes path, and again so glad that the hurricane lost power like it did. And a huge special shout out to everyone that's been affected by these awful back to back storms. And huge vitamin D hug to all of those who are volunteering and helping those in need. Okay, thank you so very much. I want to let you know that you are appreciated. American citizens helping each other out, Americans coming to the rescue of their fellow Americans, driving truckloads of supplies to Florida and North Carolina. I mean people using their boats to deliver supplies, food and medicines. Volunteer workers from all of their country and beyond coming together and clearing the roads and helping to remove storm debris. Now, that was very cool and wonderful to see you all are truly amazing, and thank you all the gazillion times over for everybody being so incredibly awesome and supportive. And the strangest times is this. You know, we are our brothers and sisters, keeper each one, teach one, each one, keep one, or reach one. And speaking of a time, I just want to say that I had a fun time yesterday. You may have heard me on the last episode on Thursday, how I mentioned I would be hosting a Q and A for a new film. It's entitled Photo Booth. It's a thriller. It was over off of Sunset here and in Los Angeles, yes, at the Harmony Gold Theater. It was studying. Shout out to Isaac Taylor who put this whole thing together and made it work. Truly proud of your efforts. And then also remember I told you I had Coach La and she was promoting her event, empower her Radiant Women's Wellness Day. Well, guess what I got A whole bunch of goodies. Can I just share if you don't mind, I want to give a shout out to Coach La. I want to give a shout out to pass it forward for this great goodie band. We had tons of amazing panel speakers. We had medical professionals. I'm talking about the Chief of breast cancer surgery over at UCLA. In fact, the guests that I have today are here. So I got an awesome shirt. It's an elephant, and you know, it's just so fitting because my mom her favorite animal was the elephant. So I got the Health is Wealth t shirt. They also gave away these awesome fanny packs. I know a journal I mean, the group can keep on going. And I don't know anybody that has an organization and perhaps I met this awesome gentleman named JJ and he's with Everest. He is actually the one responsible for creating these fanny packs. You see, it's a real deal. This is on my waist and then check out this big backpag anyway, So that's what's going on. And because like I said at the beginning of the show, it is Breast cancer Awareness Month, I want to briefly share with you. Coming up, I'll have jan Austen. She's from LA and she works at the hell as a healthcare patient navigator in oncology at UCLA. She's worked in the healthcare industry for over thirty five plus years. I also have a survivor, Sandra Fitzpatrick from Nashville, Tennessee. But then moved to Los Angeles at the age of ten. She is a three time breast cancer survivor and has survived with it for over or approximately forty years. M h, are you ready to get inspired? Plus child? I got a Vitamin D advice letter. In fact, that's what delayed me because I realized I hadn't printed it out. Can I give you the subject subject the double life wife. Hey, listen, I don't make it up. All I'm doing is I'm just reporting. That's all I'm doing. Okay, but it's I'm telling you you are definitely in for a special treat. So now, without further ado, it's to hear from her crazy and silly friends from over at under the News dusk, where they hilariously report from their comedic take on the news, literally from under the desk, because as the world spins more and more out of control, that's where they feel the safest. I'm telling you, they're stupid. You all ready? All right, here we go. You know, I need to make sure I get a sounds effect for this next time. From high above the only freeway sign without gaging graffiti on it. This is from under the Newsdesk, broadcasting live from our Eviction Proof news Room. Keanu Reeves from the movie Speed is no speed Racer acter keanunew Reeves recently made his racing debut at the Indianapolis Speedway. Unfortunately, it got really scary for the Matrix Star. Halfway through the race, Reeves avoided hitting two cars and a tight turn that made his racing car spin out. Reeve's car slid twenty nine feet and onto the track's grass fields, where small fresh buds of marijuana grow wild. Ironically, this all took place right under the huge forty foot Cheeto's banner I'm not done yet. It took a few minutes, but Reeves roared back into the Indianapolis Speedway and he came in thirty first place out of thirty six cars. Speedway officials said that Keanu Reeves could have finished at fifth or sixth in the race, but after leaving the grass fields, Keanu Reeves wasted about nine minutes of valuable raising time by driving around slowly and asking all the racing fans this question. Hey you got a paper and a lighter? Hey you got a paper and a lighter. Excuse me, maney Jins, do you have any paper and a lighter? Out of line. I know, I'm not. I'm just here to report it. Also, Disney raises the rent and then wonders why the fans don't want didn't win, and then more Walt Disney news. Oh come on now, don't don't woo yet, save your booze. Wait for it, trust us, it's so comic. Disney will once again, for the third time this year, raised the price of admissions to its theme park by more than six percent. But wait, that's not all. Disney will also super dramatically raise the price of all food and drinks inside the parks as well. So now a hamburger at Disney will cost you about thirty two dollars. Yes, we know thirty two dollars. Now, when we ask the Walt Disney Company and it's spokesperson Mickey Mouse, this, where where on earth do you get a thirty two dollars hamburger from? Well, Mickey Mouse response from from a two dollars cow? Okay, okay, now you guys can boo. Batman's a star and the Joker goes way too far. Fan favorite superhero Batman recently got his own star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Yes, with the bat signal behind him. The Dark Knight detective accepted his award to the cheers of millions of fans around the world. Now, Batman thanked Commissioner Gordon Robin and all of the Payroll and Royalties Department employees over at Warner Brothers and DC Comics that were keeping them big fat royalty checks coming in real nice for Batman. Okay, next up. Meanwhile, at the Hall of Justice, Pfizer Pharmaceutical Companies has just now named Batman's arch enemy, the Joker, as the new CEO of Pfizer. Yes, that's right, the Joker. Pfiser spokesperson Tisha Campbell had this to say, The Joker is an amazing CEO. Why he's into seeming into seeing millions of people being experimental drugs and then hiding behind a walla lawyer more than we are. When asked how the Joker's first week as the new CEO of Pfizer is going, Campbell had this to say, approvingly, Oh, the Joker is a real go getter. He went right to work. He locked himself on the main plan and now he's making thousands of krymptonite bullets. But we don't know why Finally, we asked Tiacha Campbell, how did Pfizer come to this final decision for the Joker to be the new CEO. Campbell said this, well, we were really down to just two candidates to take over as the new head of Pfizer. It was really between the Joker and p Diddy, so we went with the lesser two evils. I'm not making it up. It's on the paper. The crime cartels don't want to be in no celly cells. The new Mexican mayor of Guerrero of Mexico, Alejandro Argos, was assassinated just six days after taking office. Crime investigators in Mexico are putting the ca of the new mayor's death together and have just found out three very big clues. The first clue, on the day of the assassination, nobody in that town went to work child, not even the sidewalk showed up. The second clue, the mayor's bulletproof vest went missing from the dry cleaners the night before. And the third and final clue, two days after he won the election, a crying janitor was scraping off Alejandro's Argo's name off the glass door to his office just as Alejandro was walking in heroically Argo's bravely Argos bravely ran on the campaign, promised to rid the city of crying cartels and to stop all the endless bullets. Well, we don't know about stopping all the endless bullets, but we sure do know that he stopped at least about four or five of them. And with that, Alejandro gets the Civil Rights Hero of the Week award. And also we definitely want to send our prayers and condolences. Again, this is all from under the news desk. And another former child star was caught with drugs in the car. This just then a breaking news story at one am, another beloved child star was just arrested by LAPD. Officers took the former television star into custody on one hundred and twenty fifth Street and kool Aid Avenue. The former child star was in one hundred and fifty thousand dollars car with the expired iHeart Legos license plate and he had several guns and eight huge bricks of cocaine in the back seat. The cocaine bricks had the words P. Diddy's Yard Cell written on them in a red crayon. But the former child star was dressed in a red form, red from head to toe, and had this to say in his defense, Alma was nowhere near the crack house. Some people called alml mama. WHOA Okay, And we'll tell you and we'll try to stay with this breaking news until we run out of baking soda and glass pipes and muppet alibis, whichever one comes first. Dante back to you. This is crazy. This is under the news desk. And because this has been under the news desk, the food goes in, but it's always news that comes out. This has been a fear best presentation. All right, that's from my writers. That's from under the newsdesk. Now, I told you guys that I have some special guests in the studio. Well right after this advice letter, in just a few minutes, we are going to be talking about breast cancer awareness. We're going to be talking to a survivor, and we will also be speaking with an expert with over thirty five plus years experience when it comes to the healthcare industry. Now, Buckalop, it's time for the Vitamin D Advice Letter. Now, let me just be clear with you. Vitamin D is all about shed the light on the good and the bad, Because what do I say? If you want to be better and you want to do better, that means you're going to have to say better. Now, out take everything I say as a grain of salt. Okay, you're gonna have to eat the meat and spin out the bones. But one thing's for show. I'm gonna keep it real, so you know the deal. Are y all you ready? All right? Subject the Double Life wife. Dear Dawn, love the show, but I'm writing to you because I feel so guilty and torn. I love my husband. We've been married for five years. He's my everything, Dawn. He's an amazing person. He doesn't beat on me or cheat on me. That should be a normal thing, right. Let me go back to the letter my bad. He's really a good man and a hard worker. But Dawn, I'm sleeping with my boss too. Now this is where I enter the dramatic don't don't don't all girl? Bye? Okay, let me finish. I'm sleeping with my boss to Plus, I'm six months pregnant with my first child, and I'm hoping that the baby is my husband's. Are y'a chirping as bad as I am? Okay, I'm not done because my husband is black and my boss isn't, Dawn. It all started a few months ago with working late with my boss. We hit it off really well, obviously, and then late night meetings turned into late night dinners and drinks, then to flirting, then to hugs, and then to yeah, well, you know, my boss is fun and interesting. I like the attention and the expensive dates that I get from him, and he's really wonderful and bad. I care deeply about him. He is in great shape and I'm very attracted him, but I'm not in love with him. I'm afraid if my husband finds out that he's going to kick me out and divorce me. I don't want to lose him. He's so excited about the baby, Dawn. He's building cribs, buying baby furniture and toys, painting the baby's room. I feel so guilty, but I can't tell anyone, Dawn. I'm so scared. This isn't the mean that I want to be. You won't saying that last night. You wasn't saying that when you went out to eat. You weren't saying that when when your legs was embraced over his body. But I'm gonna be nice, Signed the Double Life Wife. Now I'm gonna be honest with you. I don't even know where to begin. Okay, Okay, First, I'm hoping that this child inside of you and your husband's health is okay, yours as well. If you don't know who the father is, then that means that you're not using protection, and that means with your boss too. Now, baby girl, I'm saying this not to frighten you, but compassionately reminds you that there are so many diseases out there there regardless of the fact if they got appeal that's preventing HIV. You have so many sti's and STDs and you don't want your child, or your husband or you to have anything. So if your husband was messing around on you and medically brought you home with something, you would be livid. Right And if you're not in a serious, committed monogamous relationship, anything can happen. Maybe your boss is sleeping with someone else and not telling you, so at this point everybody needs to get checked out. Okay, And I'm sorry, but you do have to tell your husband everything. And if this is really an amazing person in your life, then why would you even do this in the first class? And I'm not trying to be hard on you because it's no secret. As the saying go, Papa was a rolling stone. But we gotta do better, right, Okay, So one thing after the checkouts, get all that handled, and I want to say this, I'm so sorry, but even if you tell him you split up, he still deserves the right to know. Okay. He has the right to know if his wife is cheating on him and if the baby inside of her is really his or not. And he deserves honesty, and so do you. That's only fair. And I know that you're afraid of losing out on a really good man because they I can imagine as I live in LA They are very hard to find. But affairs don't always end marriages. Some marriages do survive affairs, and people do find each other again. But this one's going to be an uphill battle for sure. If the child inside of you is not his and it's your boss's, most men won't raise a child born out of adultery. I know I'm not making it up. I'm just reporting it what it is. But you gotta be honest. There's just no way around it. And the truth always comes out eventually, as we know. Next, if you really want to save your marriage, you will have to end things with your boss and quit your job. Trust me, I know men, especially good ones. Your husband is not going to be okay with you seeing your affair partner day in and day out, spending time with him every day. And when you do end things with your boss romantically, you do not need to keep in touch with him for any reason, okay, unless the child inside of you is his. And affair is for a lot of married women seem like a lot of fun or something exciting, but in the end, it doesn't help marriages, far from it. I really want you and your husband and the baby to be okay. Stress and fear isn't good for you or the little one that's growing inside of you. So please take care of yourself and write me back. Write me back and let me know what happened, and that especially if you are okay. All right, If you would like to submit your advice letter, I want to encourage you to send me an email. Vitamin d at dawn Dai speaks dot com. Me's vitamin d at dawn Dai speaks dot com. All right, I want to get off a few community news and information before we lead onto our special guests that are here to speak with us about breast cancer awareness. Now, I sometimes get information from all of you, and I want to say thank you to each and every person that goes ahead and they send information. So here we are starting up. This is very near dearer to my heart. Black Men's Wellness Day. It's happening November two right here in Los Angeles, California. This event is for black men and for each person that loves them. You're gonna get your free health screenings. I'm talking about knowing your numbers. I'm talking about being able to talk to black professionals who have your best interests at heart. You know, I really think about it. I told you my dad transitioned when I was three months old. Who would have known or what could have benefited if he simply knew his numbers, because they say and when you know better, you can do better. And speaking of the African American Male Wellness Agency, there's a fit happening this Thursday from six to eight pm. This is over at Crenshaw Mall at the Museum of African American The African American Museum inside Crenshaw Mall. This is a conversation amongst black men that only black men are invited to and you get to talk about what's going on upstairs. Because there shouldn't be a reason why twenty percent of our black men are struggling with things that they can't confide in or share with anyone else because they simply don't have a safe space. So make sure you pull up and check out the African American Male Wellness Agency for this amazing event, and be sure to send me a note and I can give you some more information about this. Also, I want to give a shout out to Miss Felicia. She's out here at Howard. She sent me these photos. She said, Dawn, I'm here to show up and show out. Miss Felicia also joined me at the empower Her event that took place this past Saturday, and she sent me this picture with her and Missus Howard and I said, a'hu. You know. Also this morning I had a chance to meet with his Jacke One. She's on the live in the chat right now. We met up for some coffee. She flew in town from Texas and in fact, if you look at the chest she's in here saying hello. We caught up on things, talked about radio. She talked about she said, Dawn gear enough to get some sponsorship. So that's a reminder for all of you out there, okay. And then also I want to let you all know that there's a food drive happening every Monday and Friday Mondays at one and Friday at eleven am. And this is at the Praise Sanctuary. This is located off of South Vermont. The address is ten eight zero seven South Vermont Avenue. This is in Los Angeles. Now, if you know someone that can benefit from a food drive, I want you to tell them to pull up. And if you need more information, here's the number. It's three two three five one zero sixty two fifty five. Again that's three two three five one zero sixty two twenty five. Or visit them online at praiseisc dot org. That's Praise praises c dot org. And anyone looking for rental assistance. I want to let you know that Sanctuary Hope is here to help. Shout out to missus Janning. She was the executive director. I just saw her recently as well at the Bold Black LA event. But here's the thing. There's rental assistance starts here. There's just a few qualifications. You must reside in South Los Angeles, South Bay or Antelope Valley and at an eminent risk of losing housing or how are your housing insecure? Okay, So you can go ahead and apply, check online at the SHO dot org. That's the Sanctuary of Hope dot org. Or you can go ahead and call three two three seven a six twenty four thirteen. Okay, three two three seven four six twenty four thirteen. Lastly, I want to share with you a housing experience for those who are in transitional living. I want to let you know that Senior Pastor Nate DeVaughn is here to help. Westminster Baptist Church has transitional housing available and it's dedicated to inform, enlighten and educate. Now rent is seven hundred dollars per month, plus meal plan for one hundred and thirty dollars. They offer clean, fully furnished rooms with televisions and cable, three delicious meals each day prepared by their private chef Anna, a fully stocked dining room of TV dinners and all the makings of sandwiches, healthy snacks, fruit and so much more so. If you want to be clean and sober, or if you want to stay clean and sober, they're the place for you. All residents must attend two one hour meetings. Okay, if you're interested. They're located at twenty three hundred Griffith Avenue right here in Los Angeles, and the number to call in is three one zero six two nine zero seven four six. And lastly, in community news, you know Toya on the Move. Yes, our girl, Toya on the Move is doing something so amazing and so phenomenal. Toy on the Move has her ninth annual costume giveaway. It's first come, first serve, right if you're off of Manchester twenty one oh seven Manchester Boulevard, Sweet number one oh five. Now this they're providing free Halloween costume candy boxes of photo booth cotton candy and popcorn. Children must be present to receive a costume and must be a companied by an adult. This is taking place on October twenty seventh, from twelve pm to four pm until supplies last. How about that? How does that sound? So? Each one, teach one, each one, reach one. Now okay, we're ready, I guess Miss Jen and Misshonda said, Dawn, is it time for us yet? It is? Look I'm looking at them backstage. Wait, Mama's Jan She up here, sitting up, She got her hair, she fixed her hair together. Misshonda just sitting there looking pretty and pink. Okay, So here's the deal. I told you This past Saturday, I went to an event entitled empower Her Radiant Women's Wellness Day. I may have missed construed that, but it was all about breast caaracer awareness and women coming together taking care of themselves. They had food, they had yoga, they gave out massages. I mean the drinks were amazing. If you're following me on social media at Dawn Dai Speaks, you perhaps saw it in the stories and on ig line on Vitamin D Dawn Dai. Check it out. So in the meantime, I'm up there sending and talking. Wait should I tell the story?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 1: Our way to our pull them on. Let me tell you about my guest. My special guest that I am bringing to the stage right here with me is miss Jan Austin Way for us and she's from Los Angeles. She has the working title as a healthcare Patient Navigator in oncology. She's worked in the healthcare industry for thirty five plus years, twenty five years in surgical oncology for a major research medical center right here in Los Angeles. Her mother was diagnosed with breast cancer twenty plus years ago. After her mother recovered from surgery and treatment, she decided that she wanted to do something to give back to other women who followed in the same path as her mother had. Love that and the next we have Miss Chandra Fitzpatrick. Originally from Nashville, Tennessee, and moved to Los Angeles at ten years old. She currently works for a major airline line and customer service, which she has been doing for thirty eight years. She is also a three time breast cancer survivor. She has been in remission for the past forty years. And she said her mother nor her grandmother had breast cancer, So then one wonders, well, how did this happen. She has a degree in micro biology nutritional and says nutritional knowledge is necessary. So family, without further ado, please send your digital waves, your podcast waves to our special guest, Miss Jan and Miss Chandra.
Speaker 4: Hello, I am hello.
Speaker 1: There, Bhi. Thank you all for joining me. I'm so excited for this conversation.
Speaker 4: Excited by your enthusiasm.
Speaker 1: Well, we're talking about something, any advice and information that you all can provide that may actually help save someone's life. I mean, we're talking about an expert that you've probably talked to so many people from so many walks of life, who probably don't know where they're going, not sure and where to turn. And then you mess Chandra are a beacon of life to say, Hey, I survive, so so can you? Right, And this conversation is so important because, like I stated, my mother transition of stage for a breast cancer, and I do think it is a change of lifestyle. I think stress has something to do with it. And I also think it's all about the willpower. And that's why today's episode was entitled I'm a Survivor because, whether you believe it or not, every person that is watching, that is listening is a survivor. Why because you have survived one hundred percent of the worst days of your life. You want to know how?
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 1: Because you can hear I'm here. Hey, what you say catch a baby because it's coming in hot Look y'all, I say, we're here for a good time. Not a long time, So come on and talk to me, talk to me about Well, let's start with you, miss Jane. Let's talk about your experience when it comes to breast cancer and any information that individuals should know. You can start with just telling about talking about yourself.
Speaker 5: Okay, Hi, good evening. Thank you so much for this opportunity. It was wonderful meeting you and person on Saturday and just being here to talk about life experiences.
Speaker 4: So is there.
Speaker 1: Something in your background playing, like a TV or something.
Speaker 4: Yes, let's get that turned our going to turn that off. Okay, that's that that background noise. So yeah, So my mom was diagnosed.
Speaker 5: In nineteen ninety eight and I worked at UCLA at that time, but not in surgical oncology.
Speaker 4: I worked at another practice.
Speaker 5: And you know, just going through the whole scare because when you hear the word cancer, the diagnoses cancer, first thing your mind.
Speaker 4: Is it's a death sentence.
Speaker 5: You don't think about know anything about staging, You know nothing about you know, family history or any of that.
Speaker 4: So the first thing, the first thought comes to mind.
Speaker 5: Is if my affairs are not in order, I need to get my affairs in order. And for my mom, her diagnoses was at stage one, right before yeah, stage one, and so for her it was the shock of course, and then after that being proactive with surgery, and then followed by radiation therapy and chemo therapy and just the whole family dynamic and everything changing from there. She had an incredible medical on colleges because at one point I had younger brothers and sisters who didn't really understand the dynamics of my mom's diagnoses, and at the time, I was up and out of the house, so I would just go back and forth to visit and accompanying her to her doctor's appointments.
Speaker 4: And that kind of thing.
Speaker 5: But the day to day, you know, the day to day routines at home, I was not there because I had grown up and grown out, so you know, the washing of the dishes and the cleaning of the house, my younger brothers and.
Speaker 4: Sisters were there.
Speaker 5: And it had become so overwhelming that her medical and colleges called a family meeting and gave instructions and directions to each one of my.
Speaker 6: Brothers and sisters who was still at of what they needed to do.
Speaker 4: To make sure that my mom was not stressed.
Speaker 5: Out, and also gave the directions to my dad, my bonus dad as well, So that's something that's not done anymore. And so she went through the surgery, the treatment, and her post top appointments for five years and she is free and clear of cancer. There's some other things that have happened as it related to the treatment, but she's still here.
Speaker 4: With us almost thirty years later.
Speaker 5: And the way that I got to meet this one is one of my besties right now was basically cancer brought us together, which is strange, and I'll tell you why.
Speaker 4: It's because she and I went to the same church, but she wasn't a member.
Speaker 5: Her cousin brought her to the church because of the castor. They had a relationship her cousin and our pastor, and I worked volunteer at the church, worked very closely with the pastor at the time. She knew that I worked in ecology, and so when anyone was diagnosed with any type of hope concern issue, or whatever the case may be, she would call upon me and another.
Speaker 4: Friend of mine who's a physician.
Speaker 5: Reason being is because we were part of the health and filling ministry in our church, and she and I cool partner as co directors of that ministry.
Speaker 4: So Schandra went up after church.
Speaker 6: To the poolpit to talk to the pastor and just let the pastor know that she was scheduled for surgery.
Speaker 5: I think the next day of the day, a couple of days after, two days after. So it was at the end of service. People were, you know, still fellowshipping after being addiction.
Speaker 4: Some people had.
Speaker 5: Left, and all of a certain, all of a sudden, from the poolpit, I heard my name, jam is Jan Austen is Jam Here is Jan still here?
Speaker 4: It's Jan still in the congregation. Go find Jam. Well.
Speaker 5: I was still in the congregation, closer getting ready about, you know, leave out of the door.
Speaker 4: And so, you know, with.
Speaker 5: Urgency, I'd go up quickly to the poolpit, and the pastor said, Jan, this is Shandra, Jondra Fish Patrick Jan, Chandra, this is Jam.
Speaker 4: I want you to.
Speaker 5: Connect with her. I want I'm assigning you Jan to her. I need you to follow her, get her phone number. She's going to be having surgery soon. At the time, Chandra was Mary, and I can remember her.
Speaker 7: Asking the pastor asking Shadra's ex hussan now if he was going to walk with her through the process, and he said, yeah, she goes.
Speaker 6: Are you sure, because this is a heck of a process that you're getting ready to walk through.
Speaker 5: If you're not ready and prepared to walk through this process with her, you step aside.
Speaker 4: We got her, We got her. We need to keep her covered, we need to keep her lifted. And if you can't do that, you step aside. We got her.
Speaker 6: So we introduced to We were introduced to each other at the pool pit and I asked her her name.
Speaker 4: She gave me her name. I asked her her last name. She gave me her last name. I already knew.
Speaker 5: I said, who's your surgeon? She told me who her surgeon was. I looked at her, I looked at the pastor. I said, I didn't know you in person, but I know who you are because I scheduled your surgery. Wow, and that's how we met. Yeah, that's how I've been fast friends like sisters since that Sunday. And that was when she was diagnosed at that particular time, that was her second diagnoses.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she was diagnosed again. Afterwards. I knew about it. I called the pastor to let her know.
Speaker 5: I called her cousin, who introduced her to the church and to the pastor to let her know.
Speaker 4: I also called one of the social workers.
Speaker 5: Who she knew very well at UCLA and let her know.
Speaker 4: Everybody knew.
Speaker 5: Everybody was in position because we knew what we had to do to diagnoses and information to her. Not over the phone, it was in person, and I was there, and I was the one to love on her and bring her the third diagnoses information pastors the time, and pastor was on the phone at the time.
Speaker 4: Her cousin was on the phone at the time. Another cousin was on the phone at the time.
Speaker 5: Carolin, and I was there in person, and a social worker was standing nearby, and she's waiting to go in to have the surgeon let her know, and the clastic surgeon to let her know this was her third diagnosis in what was going to have to happen from then again, that same conversation with her ex husband was head by her cousin by the pastor. Look, we getting ready to go into war, and if you are not armored and you don't have your full breastplate pay, you can just walk now because we got her and we've had her every since he gone. He's moved out, he moved out, not because he wanted to, because he had to.
Speaker 4: And that's that's our connection. And we have her fast friends ever since. Sometimes she can't stand her.
Speaker 5: Me, and.
Speaker 1: But that's the way it goes with your family. You know, I was sitting up here. I don't know why it struck a chord with me because I guess, you know, the first time my mother had breast cans, she had to be around thirty seven thirty eight, So I'm kind of like in the years that I recognized that was probably like two and a half and or three. And it's amazing, like when you don't really understand as a child, but my mother, like Nondra, how your hair is down to your breast, my mother could have her hair in a ponytail, and how thick her ponytail would be. It was to a bit off her back. And I remember as a child, I sit in the hallway looking at her. She was standing in the bathroom and cutting the last peeples of her hair to hold onto. And then after that, I just you know, when you think about being diagnosed, there's so many there's so many things. I feel as though can play a factor. You got one. You're fighting for your life, and as superficial as a vanity would sound, it's also the notion of that you're losing a piece of you, of your identity. We got a call and do you mind taking it?
Speaker 4: Lo?
Speaker 1: What's taking it? Hello? Talk to me?
Speaker 5: He's hey, Kesha.
Speaker 1: Wait Keisha, my cousin from Michigan.
Speaker 8: No, yeah, yeah, yeah?
Speaker 1: How are you talk to me? What you got going on?
Speaker 8: I'm good. I'm going to a football game, a flag football game. It's all girls.
Speaker 1: Oh hold on, Keisha, did you have any comments you wanted to say. We're in the middle of an interview for breast cancer awareness.
Speaker 8: Oh, my grandma had breast cancer, so I e salute all the survivoris.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, is your grandmother still with us?
Speaker 8: No, she passed away a couple of years ago. But it wasn't be because of breast cancer.
Speaker 4: He partied.
Speaker 8: He beat it in one Mmmm.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you for sharing. And I'm sure have you gotten your mammograms? Have you been tested?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 8: I did last year. So yeah, I had a scare, but it wasn't bread cancer.
Speaker 1: Okay, is in the wrong place. Your lymph node is in the wrong place and that arose in alarm? Oh wow, Okay, that's something we can we can talk about jan'shmton. What does that mean? Miss Jan?
Speaker 5: When your lymph nodes are swollen, that's an indication of some sort of affection, and that might not necessarily be cancer. But when you have a lymph note the lymph node is what cures your blood from one part of your body and organ to the other. So that's like the freeway for your blood flow. So if you have that normal enlarged lymph node, don't overlook it. Always seek attention, medical attention regardless, because it could be from a cold, or it could be from the flu, or it could be from an affection, or it could be from some disase, but you won't.
Speaker 4: Know that until you go and have it checked out.
Speaker 5: And the thing is that you have to always remember you can't do anything about anything until you step out of.
Speaker 4: Fear, a step into faith. Come on, faith over fear.
Speaker 8: That's true, faith over truth.
Speaker 5: Because the thing is, you can't do something about anything until you know what you're what you're fighting against, or what you're standing up against.
Speaker 1: You got to face a head on, gotta.
Speaker 5: Face it marless to however it looks or however you feel about it.
Speaker 4: You got to be a warrior.
Speaker 1: Keisha, what were you going to say?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 8: I would saying that's true, because like I was pidded if they were all like my it was like lower and higher than it usually is. And that's where they found like they thought it was a mask.
Speaker 1: M Oh wow, that was here. Thank you so much for sharing that. I appreciate. You're welcome and thank you for calling in.
Speaker 8: You're welcome.
Speaker 1: You pulled up on me.
Speaker 4: Yes, thank you.
Speaker 1: Oh wow. You know I remember my mother Because you have lip nose under your arms, right, you have enough.
Speaker 4: Notes throughout your whole body, your neck.
Speaker 1: Because that can be swollen.
Speaker 5: Yes, there in here in your chest, clammical area in your arm pits your arms up and down.
Speaker 4: So it's your left nose.
Speaker 5: It's like the freeway that takes your blood flow from one area and one organ to another. So they're throughout your whole body, starting at the top of your head, all the way.
Speaker 4: To your feet or where your loft notes are located.
Speaker 1: Talk to me, Hi, I'm Brenda Brenda. Hello, hello there.
Speaker 5: Yes, I'm just put in late, but I suffered with cluster headaches, migrain, and vertigo, and.
Speaker 4: I've tried oxygen I tried to medication.
Speaker 8: I tried everything it is. Do you have any suggestion or any type of medication.
Speaker 4: I'll be going to neurologies in the morning. At are you dehydrated?
Speaker 8: Oh no, I drink clear water?
Speaker 9: You do?
Speaker 4: And what about your oxygen intake? Are you me on oxygen?
Speaker 5: I take oxygen at the own set of a headache?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Is there any type of pill or any type of medication or something that's going to kind of control?
Speaker 4: Do you a vertigo?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 10: Uh uh?
Speaker 4: Decrease the pain?
Speaker 5: When you feel an oncoming, It's probably better to go into a dark area, Okay, Cluster headaches that kind of starts like a migraine.
Speaker 8: Question the head with migraine and very good?
Speaker 4: Yeah, pain stress, And sometimes it could be your intake, something that you're eating that you don't even know you're allerging to. I'm gonna telling about that.
Speaker 1: I have to pull me in the morning.
Speaker 8: I bring it up.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for calling on Brenda. I just learned, see it all right, show you right, sure right, Love you, God blessed, love you too. What we kind of left off that I wanted to peek back up on is the moment that you found out you had your third diagnosis with breast cancer. What stage were you in, how old are you and how old were you and what was going through your mind?
Speaker 5: Okay, the first time that they diagnosed me with breast cancer, I was approximately twenty nine, thirty years old, and they said, due to the size of the mass, I had had that tumor for at least five years. What they said, you you've had this since you were twenty five and I was like.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 5: So they had some pathologists come in and take samples, like a needle biopsy to see if it was malignant.
Speaker 4: Of course it was.
Speaker 1: And can you just for those who may be unfamiliar, we know we have two types of tumors. We have benign and malignant. Can you just just share what they are the difference?
Speaker 5: It was malignant, it was and I and that's interesting that you say that too, because I when they called me to give me the results, they said, you have abnormal cells, and I said, what.
Speaker 1: Do you mean?
Speaker 4: They said they're malignant. I said, what do you mean? I needed to hear you.
Speaker 5: Have breast cancer so that I could identify with it. So but I did not let the prognosis be my death sentence. I said, no, I can't do it anyways, So they scheduled me for I had a lumpectomy. They took the lump out, they did surgery, then radiation, and then chemo.
Speaker 4: Got twenty nine.
Speaker 5: So that was an experience above and beyond I had about I was scheduled for twelve treatments of chemo.
Speaker 4: I made it to eleven because I.
Speaker 5: Had gotten so sick from the nausea of the chemo.
Speaker 4: Then approximately ten years later.
Speaker 5: I went in, well, of course I was going for my checkups and the cancer.
Speaker 4: The cancer came back, so.
Speaker 5: I said, Okay, here we go again. So the same thing was kind of was done when we met each other in the.
Speaker 4: Second Yeah, the second time, and it was It's so.
Speaker 5: Funny because as jan was talking about it, I was remembering how we met in church when the pastor introduced us, and Janet asked me my last name, and she said, I scheduled my boss is doing your surgery.
Speaker 4: I scheduled your surgery. I'm like wow.
Speaker 5: And it was interesting because the the DeLillo, the classic surglastic surgeon, when I went to see him on Tuesday day, the day before you No, so let's two days later, after the meeting at church. Right, okay, he said, how long have you been knowing Jan?
Speaker 4: I said, about two days. I've been going up earth. He said. She came up here and prayed with me and for me and you like she'd been knowing you for twenty years. I'm like, I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I prayed over every physician, every clinician, every hospital attendant, every housekeeper, every food service person, every nurse, every intake administrator, everybody who had anything to do with her, in addition to.
Speaker 4: Before her surgery. I went into the O R room and.
Speaker 1: Prayed over I.
Speaker 4: I love the instruments that you pend souls. Everything.
Speaker 5: Jan is very thorough, very very thorough. So we went through I went through that. What was it about a year later?
Speaker 4: Yeah, like that, about a year later, and.
Speaker 5: I was that's when she was telling me that they all knew before I did the third diagnoses. And it was so so weird because when I was sitting in the doctor's office and I could hear a voice saying, do you trust me? And I said, why would you ask me that? And there was no one else in the in the waiting room. So the lady came and said, okay, the doctor will see you. And while I was can we go back to how you got there to the third time, because you noticed that there's this little mall, a little pimple in between you and your cleavage, and she thought it was just a pimple. She was thinking of a spacious cyst. She was thinking it was a mall. She thought it was just a little like a flea bite or a mosquito bite.
Speaker 4: That's what she thought it was.
Speaker 5: But it was very painful when I would hug people, because I'm a.
Speaker 1: Hugger, when you would chest on them, or when you would when I.
Speaker 5: Would embrace them, when I would hunt them, that bump would hurt so mad.
Speaker 4: So that's how I was like, I don't know about this right here.
Speaker 5: So when doctor DeLillo took a sample without telling me anyways, took a sample, it was cancer. It was breast cancer. So I had to go through things for the third time. That was I was like, it was it was a lot because this time the third time, it was not surgery first, right, it was chemo first, right, since you are yeah, yeah, so it was they said that it was the reverse, yeah, since it was a third time, and she had already had radiation on both sides. They couldn't have radiate the breast anymore because once a breast or an area has had radiation, they cannot go back to the same spot.
Speaker 1: Not that you know. I remember when my mom had radiation, and I'm sure the methods have improved as the years have gone on. Yes, And I guess I was so young, so I didn't really get it, but it hurts me so much now because I'm just thinking, like, oh my gosh, what was this Where underneath her arm was actually raw? And when you talked about the the chemo, I can remember my mother and I didn't know, And you know, I think it's amazing, Like how you say you gotta fight and you gotta push. My mom pushed so much. I didn't even know cancer was a big deal. She would drop us off at our sports activities during the summer, stop at a light, open a car, open the door, and throw up. I remember looking at her hands. They were jet black and literally things were burskin is peeling away.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, all of that. All of that.
Speaker 5: I remember I was looking in the mirror one day to put some makeup on, and you know how you open your mouth while you're putting makeup on it.
Speaker 4: I'm like, my tongue was black.
Speaker 1: I was like, what.
Speaker 5: And my hands were dark, my bottom of my feet were dark.
Speaker 4: I'm like the most.
Speaker 5: Challenging thing for me was to stay alive in my mind, because once you've accepted death in your mind, that'll take you a whole nother different way, different direction. So I had to keep when I was told, when you go in the restroom and you use the restroom, flush twice because what comes out of you is very toxic. I'm not a chemo treatment. I'm like, so, what was it doing.
Speaker 4: To my insults?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: What's going on there?
Speaker 5: So I had to because I was already eating right and doing doing you know, organic and so forth and so one raw all of that, and I when I got it the third time, I'm like, Lord, I got it.
Speaker 4: I hear you.
Speaker 5: I'm let's let's just do this. Let's get through this. But the most, the most important thing for me was not accepting the prognosis.
Speaker 4: And the second thing is, and I share this with so.
Speaker 5: Many people because people can come and talk to me. I said, when I helped someone, I said, don't come back and thank me. You reach and get the hand of another soldier on the battlefield, and you pull them through. That's how you tell me thank you. That is so important because we all are going that journey.
Speaker 4: That journey is like no journey you've ever been through.
Speaker 5: Help somebody, Listen to somebody, do whatever you can. I will go with you to the doctor and we will talk to them at the same time, so I can help you make out an informed decision.
Speaker 4: But I'm going to tell you.
Speaker 5: It gets you out of yourself when you're helping others. So what was really funny but not funny? But I'm on vacation and I was tired. I'm tired, so and I worked with a major airline. I'm not even flying anywhere. I'm just like, I just wanted to do a staycation. So yesterday one of the girls that asked me, could I take you to lunch?
Speaker 4: And I said, okay, all right.
Speaker 5: So I left home, went to the post office, had a challenge there, left there trying to get to lunch.
Speaker 4: Well, actually it's dinner at this time.
Speaker 5: I went to a gas station, had a challenge there, went to another gas station, had another challenge.
Speaker 4: I said, what is going on? So by this time, I'm like kind of not dealing with it.
Speaker 8: So well.
Speaker 4: Jam calls and I said, Jensen, how you doing? I said, fine, but I'm going through some things right now. What's going on? She said? Hey? You know I went to this.
Speaker 6: Affair, she said, She said, would you be interested in?
Speaker 4: But what? What wrongs? Because I had, I did, I took no. I had to stay in the bed all day. I'm just connecting. I'm not answering my phone. I'm not answering my door said don't call me.
Speaker 5: So I had to take a minute and kill before I I said no.
Speaker 4: And then I remembered when I was having prayer that morning.
Speaker 5: Instead of me saying and asking the Lord for this, can you?
Speaker 4: Can you do this? And can I? I said, Lord, what can I do for you today?
Speaker 1: Hey?
Speaker 4: I said what can I do for you? And before I told jan no, it came right back up. I said come. I said, yeah, I'll do it because at first I could.
Speaker 6: Tell and I knew I had to dread lightly because I knew she was tired.
Speaker 5: She had already given me the disclosure when we spoke on Saturday and Sunday. And here I am with this request when I already know she said, but I had had such a day right before she called.
Speaker 4: It was right in the middle. I said, this is the way it happens, and she answer said what I already knew she was God Won.
Speaker 5: Yeah, on my phone has their own ring tongue, so I already know who it was.
Speaker 4: But yeah, so.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you said.
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm glad. I'm glad.
Speaker 5: Look, I'm I'm not gonna ever not be there for someone because you never know when you're gonna say something that I helped that person get through their trial, and I want to always.
Speaker 4: Be there for that.
Speaker 1: But I gotta ask you this, Okay, why did you keep on fighting? Why didn't you get tired? What made you hold on? Who did you hold on for?
Speaker 5: You know, I just refuse to accept the fact that.
Speaker 4: I just I'm a fighter.
Speaker 5: When they said, okay, you've got cancer, I said, I cried for like forty five minutes.
Speaker 4: I said, cancer messed with the wrong one.
Speaker 5: Hey, we're not doing this, I said, Lord got to help me.
Speaker 4: I'm not accepting that.
Speaker 5: And I that day, I'm went to start getting vegetables and I got active in my own.
Speaker 1: H Yeah, Now there was something that you guys had shared, especially when you met at the church, about how you don't want to be stressed out. How does stress play a factor when the count of dealing with cancer.
Speaker 4: It's huge. Yeah, I'm cuge, you get huge.
Speaker 1: Someone once told me. I shared this. I'm one of those individuals you know, you go to the game shows. Oftentimes I get picked to go on there and then just happened to win games at times. So we were traveling back to the headquarters of WHETHER studio on the studio lot at the main office, and I was sitting next to a nurse and for some reason, and we got on a discussion about health and the main calls why people are dying. And the first thing I said to her, I said, well, cancer, I'm just thinking about how so many, so many people pop up with cancer. My mom transition for cancer. You hear cancer, cancer, cancer, And she said, no, the number one killer stress.
Speaker 5: Yeah, stressed. And then second behind that is environment. Because if you're an environment that's toxic, that brings about stress. What you read, if you're in an environment that is uh, if you are in a food.
Speaker 4: Desert, the desert, that brings about stress.
Speaker 5: If you are a half a paycheck away from paying your bills and your kids need whatever.
Speaker 4: That brings about stress. If you're in a.
Speaker 5: Job or career that you hate but you're stuck in it because you got to pay the bills and your family's depended on you, that brings about stress.
Speaker 4: Getting on the slow five every morning, ako.
Speaker 5: But one oh one, it brings about stress. You know, everything brings about stress. So whatever you can do. And a lot of times we go about life thinking we got it, we can handle it, we got it, pile it on, we got it, we got it, until we don't, until we are stopped in our tracks.
Speaker 4: And can't move left, right, forward or backwards. We just stuck.
Speaker 5: And then also exercise has a lot to do with it, the lack thereof and what you put in you get out.
Speaker 4: Shit in shut out.
Speaker 5: You mean you talk about the Doritos and the Ketos, color guys and the Coca Colas and all of that.
Speaker 4: What you put in you get out. If you think about it, next time.
Speaker 5: You go to a convenience store seven eleven or a Circle.
Speaker 4: K or one of those.
Speaker 5: I don't know if you've ever taken time to look at you know how, like when you go and you want to get something to drink, and you make a decision that if you want a soft drink, or if you want a bottle of water or coconut water or whatever the case may be, nine times out of ten that coconut water, that coconut water, regular water, or kombushta is going to cost almost double what a Coca cola or a seven nut would cost you. You can get a big leader of seven up on sale for ninety nine cent, but try to get a gallon of water and see what the price difference is is.
Speaker 4: Because that water is what's going to help you to get all the toxic town. It's going to help to open up.
Speaker 5: Your your otteries and your ligments and your vessels and all that.
Speaker 4: The only thing that.
Speaker 5: Coke has gotta do is clog things up. So it's all in the choices that we make. And let me say this not to cut you off.
Speaker 4: When I used to hear.
Speaker 5: Survivors say cancer was one of the best things that.
Speaker 4: Happened to me, and I was looking away, what yeah, they said?
Speaker 5: What cancer was one of the best things that happened to me? And I didn't understand it. I'm like, what are they talking about?
Speaker 4: What happened?
Speaker 5: For me was that I changed everything in my life.
Speaker 4: I changed my jam was talking about nutrition.
Speaker 5: I changed christian I change how I dealt with stressful issues.
Speaker 4: And especially hydration.
Speaker 5: That I have a book that says, you're not sick, you're thirsty, and.
Speaker 4: You'd be surprised what water, just water will do for you.
Speaker 5: And I didn't drink it. I didn't drink water. And I did things for me that gave me peace. And I do that now. I have a little list here and I have it in the bathroom. It says life rules, trust God, spiritual time, exercise, healthy food, clean water, fresh air, and rest. That's what I wrote up when I was going through And that was another thing too. I was at the airport and this was I think this was a third No, this was the second time.
Speaker 4: I forget which.
Speaker 5: Time I was going through it, but anyways, it was the second or third. And this man needed help and he didn't speak English.
Speaker 4: And I ran around and I found someone. I said, bla blast fai. So I got someone.
Speaker 5: I said, tell him to sit right here, and I'm going to take care of him. But he's got to stay there and wait for me. So they told him and I had to go do something else. I came back, got him and took him on the plane, but.
Speaker 4: I was still I was.
Speaker 5: Crying because the next day I was going for surgery for the cancer. So I remember I was angry and crying.
Speaker 4: And I heard a voice.
Speaker 5: Say, I want you to help others as you go through. And it didn't hit me until about two or three days later.
Speaker 4: I said, oh, I'm not going to die. I'm going to go soon. I'm going soon.
Speaker 5: And I would take my chemo poll and go and talk to other people that were having chemo. The one lady, older lady, she said, you ladies are so loud.
Speaker 4: Are you laughing? I love the laughter, but you're so loud.
Speaker 5: I had everyone just crawled around with their chemo polls and we would be telling our experience. H h.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I always say we're here for a good time, not a long time. So you got to make a count, and you make it count by living your life one purpose and for a purpose. And when you say, hey doing I realized I'm going to get through. You decided to lift while you crying. And I think oftentimes we get so focused on self, but like you said, you found a moment where you were thinking about others because we can go fast alone, but we know that we can go further together. Absolutely, because it's somebody that's looking for the answers that you got. Somebody is going through the experience that you had experienced. Yes, why wouldn't I give you the blueprint? Why wouldn't I give you the information? If I know how unhappy, how much pain I am in, why would I even want that for someone else?
Speaker 4: Exactly?
Speaker 1: But oftentimes I feel like what the problem is or what becomes the issue, is that oftentimes we don't have the resources, or perhaps we don't know what or where the resources exist. Now, one thing that I think about too is that, And maybe I can get your insight on this. My mother was very secretive well about everything, but especially going through this process. Now it's like on one end, well, Mama, why are you not hide and why aren't you telling somebody so somebody can help? But then you hear another notion is that everybody doesn't wish the best for you or you don't want to seem like you're always going through something? What was that like for you? Miss Chandra?
Speaker 5: That's from while you're while you're talking, I'm just remembering what I'm going what I went through when I was going through and that's true. People don't always want the best for you, but for me.
Speaker 4: Like I said, I know that if I share my.
Speaker 5: Story with you, it may not even be I'm talking about cancer, but there may be something in my story that will help you with stress, that will help you with nutrition, that will help you with hydration, that will help you with resting, or even just talking, even helping timbody else get out of yourself.
Speaker 4: So I'm going to talk about it. I'm gonna talk about it.
Speaker 11: I want to.
Speaker 5: I want to share that because I don't know what part of my journey is for you.
Speaker 1: And they say the journey is the experience, and the experience is the journey. Life is the greatest teacher because first you take the test and then you learn the lesson.
Speaker 4: I remember I was so angry.
Speaker 5: I was like, Lord, I'm eating pretty decent. I said, who is going to listen to me when I talk about cancer? I said, They're not going to listen to me. It was just the opposite when I go into store, because if I'm in some store and I'm like, where's the rejuwal act, you know, which is a minute it's for a minute, very.
Speaker 4: Liquid.
Speaker 5: That's really really good for you. And they're like, well we we we don't have that. I said, I'm a three time cancer survivor. That's that's really good for you. They turn around and next week I go back.
Speaker 4: They got it? What Yeah?
Speaker 5: And then what you'll see people saying did she say she was three times?
Speaker 4: Well? Can I speak to her?
Speaker 5: So it turned all the way around from me saying nobody's gonna listen to me after being there three times.
Speaker 12: To everyone tell her about your experience on Saturday, which it was it Saturday or Sunday, which when they called to you and had you come.
Speaker 5: To oh yeah again because I'm on vacation. One of the girls that were called and I looked at the phone. I was like, so, I said, hey, what's going on? She said not too much with Shaun'd you busy? I said, now, how you doing?
Speaker 1: She said?
Speaker 4: Funny?
Speaker 5: She said, would you be our guest at the Sofi Stadium? We want in the VIP box. We want to do an interview with survivors. And I was like, okay, that's that's when I get quiet, get peaceful for a minute.
Speaker 4: I said, yeah, okay, I'll do that.
Speaker 5: I haven't even been I could walk to Sofi, I haven't been there.
Speaker 4: So anyways, I go over there and what an experience.
Speaker 5: I get there and they not only is it the VIP suite is the owner's box, but it was really nice even at halftime, so it was an actual football game. It was an actual football game. And I was like, everything looks so clear. They said, because you're not that far away. I was like, okay, So, and they're like, whatever you want to eat, we've got it. Whatever you want to drink, We've got everything you want is here. And here's a here's a bag for you coming with all your breast cancer inside. It was really nice, really really nice. All I had planned to do was to lay in bed and watch TV or read the book. Anyways, but and then have them. And then halftime they said, can we get the acknowledge survivors?
Speaker 4: They had them on the field.
Speaker 5: They said, can we get all the survivors in here to stand up? Well, they had one an actor and his wife was there. She was celebrating right in front of me, celebrating three years of.
Speaker 4: Surviving cancer.
Speaker 5: And they had told them to come and say something to me.
Speaker 4: I'm like I should be saying something to them.
Speaker 5: So anyways, that was she and I had an emotional moment because of the journey.
Speaker 4: Because of journey, and the friend that invited me said.
Speaker 5: She needed to see you because if in fact it comes back, she needs to know that's not a death sentence. She needed to see You've been through there three times and you standing up here clapping with the best stuff.
Speaker 1: Come on, come on, I'm just saying hier changes things.
Speaker 5: It was such an emotional It became such an emotional event.
Speaker 4: I was glad that I went.
Speaker 5: I even text him yesterday and said, I got to thank you again for inviting me. I said, because I needed that. I needed that, and other people that were there they needed youth.
Speaker 1: Yes, And it's just a reminder of how we need each other. We're I'm meant to do these things alone.
Speaker 4: He's like, she's a three time survivor what so.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And what's so interesting to me is I remember in.
Speaker 4: September, first part of September.
Speaker 5: Last part of August, they were doing things for her airline and doing huge, big things over the summer.
Speaker 4: And all, and she was not a part of that mix.
Speaker 5: And she's like, you know, I've been working for this company for you know.
Speaker 4: Thirty plus years. I'm a three time breast cancer survivor. When they had the.
Speaker 5: Big thing with the you know, this comic strip major a lister thing, and they had my image, my face on the side of the plane. And do you think I got a dollar or two or anything? And you know, I sold myself and my stuff, my likeness, and I didn't even get any kind of, you know, financial reimbursement for my time and my effort.
Speaker 4: And I reminded her.
Speaker 10: Of what the Lord told her years ago, years ago, the Lord and I had to put it to take her back to her and Memoris, as she does often with me as well, I said, do you remember what the Lord told you?
Speaker 4: I said, don't be angry, and I know.
Speaker 5: That you are because it feels like you've been taking advantage of and abuse. But the Lord told you you will never lack, you will never go without.
Speaker 4: Money, you will never be hungry.
Speaker 5: So there's a reason and the purpose for you doing this without pay, because he's already paid a hello. And I also realized to that when it was shared with me that through all I was on like in thirty magazines on the side of the plane in Turns Square, all of that New York.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that.
Speaker 5: I was doing it as public service announcement to get research money, to get money for research.
Speaker 4: So I was doing it for that reason.
Speaker 5: I didn't want to put my hand in the same pond that I was trying to get the money raised for.
Speaker 4: And I was told that was one of the.
Speaker 5: Most successful campaigns that they had had, and so I felt good about.
Speaker 1: That, as you should. Yeah, thank you for that. Now, that was something that you were mentioning and I've heard. I mean, in fact, that's how miss Jane and I we were talking about. It started over food. Everybody know how much I love to eat. Yes, I was looking at the buffet long we were at and empower her grabbing my vest was out of the possum and Jed was excited because it was gluten free. Oh yeah, may It didn't matter to me. I was just trying to eat. But it is important. Just like you said, what you put in is what you get out. Now, that was something that you had made mention how you were going to the store and I think I don't know if it was a berry or something like that. Can you just give us a list of some items that are good to eat if somebody is fighting cancer, that perhaps even helped you. Now, one thing that I've seen people talk about a lot is soursop clothes are really good for, you know, pulling out mucus and inflammation. What else do you recommend?
Speaker 5: I have so much stuff in my kitchen you'd be like, you have got to be kidding me, because I made smoothies and I put from Marenga to Ashwa Gonda to I mean, I have a lot of herbs, flat seed. I mean, I make up so many different types of teas.
Speaker 4: I mean it's a lot.
Speaker 5: I was even writing down Vitamin D K two Vitamin C crystals.
Speaker 1: Are number one Vitamin C or vitamin D vitamin C.
Speaker 5: The crystals, not the child because cristal the granuapns lyric sprouts and I actually had so many people at work on it because it gives your body such oxygen.
Speaker 4: Cancer doesn't like oxygen.
Speaker 5: When we were talking to your aunt about oxygen about the cluster headaches, Yeah, because I have a girlfriend now that she might have five good days out of the month behind cluster headache. And she said, Chandra, have you ever gotten an icy and you sucked it too fast and you get that freeze, I said, God, I said, yeah, I can feel it right now.
Speaker 4: She said, that's what a cluster headache feels like.
Speaker 1: That is awful, she said.
Speaker 5: And I went and got the book because I wanted to know more about it, and deep dives with it with her, and she said, they call it suicide headache because more people commit suicide on that with that.
Speaker 4: Headache, she said, because they can't that pain.
Speaker 5: That pain is so intense, it's like a freeze head pain. I said, well, what what has a direct effect on it?
Speaker 4: She said oxygen.
Speaker 5: I said, well, then we need to find foods that have the highest yield of oxygen in it.
Speaker 4: Vitamin C has a high yield.
Speaker 5: The granules, yeah, the crystals, the crystal, not the tabs, not the capsules. It looks like white power, and a lot of people just kind of confuse.
Speaker 4: That for a narcotic, but it's not.
Speaker 5: Yes, Sprouts and Whole Foods and even Amazon you can get it Mother Mothers as well, and Arilhana of course, right, yeah, yeah that it simply howesome has it carries it as well? Simply whosome as well.
Speaker 4: So but yeah, I.
Speaker 5: Do do a lot. Also fast at the beginning of the year. I do a fast, a three week fast.
Speaker 1: Great, you don't eat for three weeks.
Speaker 5: I juice. I juice in the morning, apples and ginger. I juice in the evening with all the vegetables. I do my fruits in the morning because that has sugar in it, natural sugars.
Speaker 4: And that gives me energy.
Speaker 5: And then in the afternoon evening, which I'm usually sleep by five every day anyways, but I do the kale, the spinach, the celery, the ginger, garlic, all of that, beat beets and the beat leaves. That's very important. And I juice that in the evenings. And that's what I do.
Speaker 4: Plenty of water.
Speaker 5: And she's on line for the twenty one days, no social media and no phone calls, no chip chatters.
Speaker 1: No nothing, nothing but prayer and asking.
Speaker 4: It's working and sleeping.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And she tries to make sure she takes off and as much as she can the first week or two into her fast, because understandably, you know, you have to change everything, and people have a tendency to be an irritant of course during that time, because you.
Speaker 1: Are already on nerves edge. You're want a middle. But I can't happen the first week.
Speaker 5: The first week, i'd stay home, I stay in the house. But it restores, revives and get you ready for the new year, and I need to get centered.
Speaker 1: I've heard that of how people, you know, you'd be surprised that fast thing will help eliminate kind of diseases because now your body is focused on what is this more an object than when you think about all this food and stuff that we're eating. It's trying to figure out a combat that rather than combat it was naturally in the body. Now kind of.
Speaker 4: You're absolutely right.
Speaker 5: During that time, it's been said that during fascinating, your body will actually cleanse itself of diseases.
Speaker 4: During that time it restores us.
Speaker 5: And then two with cancer, what we didn't talk about is the number.
Speaker 4: One thing that it craves. It's sugar.
Speaker 5: And I don't want to get into the chemistry of it all, but the chemical composition of vitamin C is similar to that of glucose, except for it has an oxygen on the rink. So and when they would do tests with me and inject me with these radio isotopes the liquid so that they could see when the cancer was in the system if it's.
Speaker 4: There at all.
Speaker 5: They also would cod it with a certain kind of sugar because cancer loves sugar, and when it gobbles that radio isotope, they know exactly where it is because it's going to go for the sugar like a path many.
Speaker 1: You know, I guess that just hit me on so many levels because you know, growing up, I wasn't a child that was into sweets, but I got my sugars from cars and that still follows me until this day. And you know, I just think, because you know, it doesn't show up overnight, it's you know, we already And that's another thing that we didn't discuss. How we're all born where we all have cancer cells. It's just a matter of when they come ignited or the switch cuts on that everything starts to go, you know, in a array. But also further, because pun intended you mentioned vitamin D, we know that as a people, African Americans, we especially women, our decision in vitamin D. Why is vitamin D important?
Speaker 5: It actually helps you to absorb calcium to give your bone strength.
Speaker 4: And to help your immune system.
Speaker 5: And it should be taken combined right, and currently we have the vitamin D three with the calcium because it works together. It synergistically works together. It one activates the other one.
Speaker 1: Now, what's the difference between vitamin D and vitamin D three?
Speaker 4: It is the active, more active form of vitamin D.
Speaker 5: And then K two you take with you can, Yeah, usually they tell you to take that with calcium to take combined.
Speaker 9: That it's.
Speaker 5: Most times with any kind of vitamins and supplements of mirrors, they should be taken conjointly with something else because it works as a powerhouse as opposed to singularly, like viamin bat should be combined with something else because it gives it more power and more strength.
Speaker 1: Oh now this may sound very face surface, but oftentimes it's similar. Well, whatever reminded me of just even if you are on medication, how you have to eat with certain medication. I didn't realize that if you don't eat, the medication can't do what it needs.
Speaker 5: To do, and it's going to eat, and most times it's going to eat the blinding of yourself and that's how you get sick afterwards, because it needs to eat. So if it doesn't have a food, it's going to go to a source which is in your gut and it's going to eat your gut and then you feel nauseous and we want to throw up because it's medication because you didn't have food on it.
Speaker 4: To eat on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't realize that I've done that with vitamins. Yeah, I've experienced that too. There's this gentleman, his name is mister Lee. I like to call him like something. I want to make sure I up level the conversation when it comes down to fibroids. But he had had taken so many herbs. So when you said, ash Gwanda mull and leaf, how important tumork is the vitamin D three, taking the iron so much caratone or something like that, I realized that when I just had a smoothie and I'm taking all of these vitamins and herbs, I got nauseous. I got sick, but didn't realize the dawn is eating in the line and of your stomach. But guess what, the more you know, the more you're able to grow. And that's what I want people to do when they're listening to this conversation now, as we're talking about nutrition and what we're putting in our body, what is other than sugar. We identify that what other kind of foods are just like a no. As a people, we need to step back from fried no French fries, no chips, your.
Speaker 4: Teas aside and those.
Speaker 3: Inflammation builders, chills, bread, bread chips, anything white, really the white flower, the white potato, anything white, the white rice, because there's no nutritional value.
Speaker 4: It fills you up, but it's just like coffee.
Speaker 5: It takes you up and then slams you down and it doesn't hold unlike you know, there are other.
Speaker 4: Choices with potatoes.
Speaker 5: There's yams, and there's sweet potatoes, and there's Japanese potatoes. Some of those potatoes, even like the purple potatoes, are so sweet like dessert you don't.
Speaker 4: Need to have very actual and they're very very good for you. They're very feeling.
Speaker 5: They have a lot of fiber and a lot of vitamins and minerals and that sugar taste, that sugar rush you get at three o'clock if you have just a half or fourth of that purple Japanese potato and you don't have to put no butter or nothing.
Speaker 4: On it, just scoop it out and eat it.
Speaker 5: And that sugar rush that you're trying to fulfill will be cured. In addition to the other vitamins and supplements and fiber that come along from.
Speaker 4: Eating the Japanese potato, you'll get it. So it's choices, yeah.
Speaker 1: And speaking of choices, what are the choices that individuals need to make when it comes to finding a doctor and who to ask questions? Who? Where do you start? Is it important? Did you guys feel it's important to have a black doctor going through your process? Or you know that you've worked with What kind of quoe do you ask the questions to? Is the doctor the part for your person? And I want to open that up to anybody that's watching. This is your moment now to call in with any questions in regards to dealing with breast cancer or those who have been afflicted by it. What about finding the doctors?
Speaker 4: Well, the first thing, it depends on what first and foremost.
Speaker 1: And somebody says it is wheat flour good, that's gluten.
Speaker 4: For me, it's it's like a life sentence for me. I can't do gluten at.
Speaker 5: All, no type of gluten, and gluten is wheat flour, wheat rye, barley and smelt, spelt s P e l T is gluten and for me, it works as.
Speaker 4: Like a bullet to my system.
Speaker 1: Doctors, yes, before we.
Speaker 5: Finding the right doctors. First of all, it really depends on your insurance.
Speaker 4: That's number one. You have to start with your insurance.
Speaker 1: But what if you don't have insurance.
Speaker 4: Then you have to have insurance. In the state of California. By law, you're supposed to have.
Speaker 5: Obamacare at least, so Obamacare was here trying to name something else or whatever.
Speaker 4: If you don't have insurance, you're penalized.
Speaker 6: First of all, So that's the first is insurance. To have the proper medical insurance because you cannot pay.
Speaker 5: For these business out of pocket. It's a specialized specialty appointment. You know, medical care is not general. It's not done by your general practitioner. It's a specialist. And when you get to a specialized area, anything be it finance, be it food, be it whatever, if you're going to a specialist, that's going to cost you more because that's their focus.
Speaker 4: That's all they.
Speaker 5: Operate in, is that one particular modality medical modality, financial modality, food modality. That is their food for focus, and that is what they look at.
Speaker 4: And so number one is insurance.
Speaker 5: Then once you have your insurance, be it a PPO where you can go wherever you want to go or an HMO where you have to get an authorization to.
Speaker 4: Go wherever you want to go and it.
Speaker 5: Has to be approved, and you have to then be an advocate. Regardless if it's a PPO insurance or EGO insurance, you got to make sure that you're an advocate for yourself and that you partner with somebody who can be an advocate for you. So again, it's like those people that talk about in the grocery store, I'm a three time breast cancer survivor, and you're listening and you've just been diagnosed with cancer or your sister or your mother whatever. That's when you lean in and say, hey, my sister was diagnosed with cancer.
Speaker 4: I don't know what to do, she doesn't know what to do. What do we do? What can you tell us? So that you're an advocate somebody.
Speaker 13: Who's been you walk through the trenches, who's walked through the path, because you can talk to a doctor, you can talk to a nutritionist or whatever, but they don't have that personal experience.
Speaker 5: They're treating, they're diagnosing, they're doing surgery, so it becomes sort of like a robotic kind of thing, just like any job you do.
Speaker 4: You as a.
Speaker 6: With your podcast, I wouldn't know the first thing to do, just like you tried to help us get on.
Speaker 4: Even called in that was you know, because we're not checking. We are looked like we looked like, you know. So it depends on where your strengths are. That's not our strength, that's where you are.
Speaker 6: So if we were to start a podcast right now, we have to go to.
Speaker 4: Do what I can't hear you what's the paper?
Speaker 6: So you know it's it's all of that, you know what I mean, you go to the source of somebody who's been through, who's walked through the trenches.
Speaker 4: Because I know you didn't mean to call it cut you off, but I did.
Speaker 6: When you first started with your podcast, I'm sure that microphone and all of that.
Speaker 1: You didn't know what you Michael, I was in the bed underneath a comforter with the USB MI just so I get yes, yeah, and look.
Speaker 4: At you now.
Speaker 6: You know you got to step and repeat behind you say, a desk and a mask and a phone and a subflower, the little ring you got, the bells, you know, you got all that, and I even see your bun's.
Speaker 4: Eye tree behind you. But yeah, you do, you do.
Speaker 5: You will seek out those who have been through or speaking on the subject, because if you.
Speaker 4: Came to me and you said, hey, I just got diagnosed.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna go with you. I'm gonna say when's your next appointment or who you seeing? Let me take you to my doctor. As a matter of fact, I've done that with several people. I'll bring them right on up in to the hospital, say hey, it's such a such your in town, or what is their schedule?
Speaker 4: Look like, Look, I got.
Speaker 5: Somebody I'm walking with and I'm gonna bring her and I need you to connect us and I need to.
Speaker 4: Make that happen. So we do that all the time.
Speaker 5: Where if I somebody that I know who is frail and fragile, somebody that I have embraced as an association and even sometimes as a patient, they'll come in and they're frightened within their lives and they're shaking in the whole nine yards and you know they don't know what to do.
Speaker 4: It's a life sentence for them.
Speaker 5: And I'll say to you, you know, I have a really good friend who has walked through this walk. You know, I met her under this circumstances.
Speaker 4: If you want to speak.
Speaker 5: With her, I know that she'd be willing to speak with you.
Speaker 4: You just let me know.
Speaker 5: I'll do a phone call, you know, a conference call between the two of you, and then you guys, you know, you go from there. And so that's usually how we've worked it out over the years. And it doesn't matter, you know, if it's two, three o'clock in the morning, she's up sleep, because I say.
Speaker 4: Sleeps at five o'clock every day.
Speaker 5: But my girlfriend had said to me, because I went with someone with every chemo treatment, I was sitting there with my arm next to their arm, and she said, she said, why do you give so much of yourself?
Speaker 4: I said, because I don't see it as that.
Speaker 5: So and another thing I wanted to say is a lot of times there are those those mistruths and stewelies that go out there. Somebody's been diagnosed with breast cancer, somebody who has not been through themselves and have not locked the path.
Speaker 4: They'll say, oh, my cousin, I remember when she was diagnosed with breast cancer.
Speaker 6: As soon as they opened her up under the mile it's reread anywhere, so don't happen to you.
Speaker 4: Well, you've not watched that walk.
Speaker 6: This is something you heard somebody from down the way twenty five thirty years ago who played the telephone game and got the message all twisted. Because that's not that was not the conversation. That was just the pieces that you picked up.
Speaker 4: And you have no idea how that will turn somebody into fear into isolation. They may be stage zero.
Speaker 5: Or stage one diagnoses, but then when they come around and get the courage because somebody's mama for twenty years ago had breast cancer and somebody opened them up, and it's spread everywhere, which is not the truth. It's probably already everywhere before they have surgery. So then now you know, five six years later, here they are. Now it's metestasized to every organ and every part of their body because they've been told by their friend that twenty years ago, when their cousin mama's sister was opened up, it went everywhere. And so now you're here nine months later and the cancer is all around your lymph nose.
Speaker 4: And you.
Speaker 1: In your bone.
Speaker 6: And your laments, your bones, your your nerves, and it's just wrapped around it, and now nine months later.
Speaker 5: Surgically there's nothing that can be done, and radiation there's nothing that can be done. They can offer you chemo, but.
Speaker 4: That's just.
Speaker 1: Shooting it off.
Speaker 5: They extend your life for maybe another month or so until they get to the point of where they said, we've done everything we can do.
Speaker 4: So now it's quality of life. Quality of life is hospitals care.
Speaker 1: So let me ask you this. Now, you talked about the whole notion of the telephone game. I don't know if it's a thing with an older generation, and I'm just speaking from my experience with my family not to call my out genie out like that, but call around. It's because we gotta keep it real. What is this notion of not being transparent with the doctor, feeling as though if I share the information with the doctor, oh, they just gonna tell me some because they're trying to make the money. How do you feel about transparency when when it comes to dealing with your doctor, should you tell them everything? Should you hold it back and wait for them to discover? What do you do well?
Speaker 4: The only way that.
Speaker 5: They can give you a diagnosis is based on their resource, based on the information that you share.
Speaker 4: That's just like with anything. If I came to you and said, don I want to start a.
Speaker 5: Podcast and you say, okay, do you have an LFC?
Speaker 4: No? Do you have a microphone at least? Well, yeah, I have a.
Speaker 5: Microphone from what type of microphone isn't And then you tell me I asked or whatever, Well, there's no way we can start, like you said, with your covers and you had your microphone. If you didn't have your blanket and your comforter and your microphone, you wouldn't be able to get to where you.
Speaker 4: Are right now. So it is.
Speaker 5: The more you share with your healthcare professional position that you feel confident with, because there are a lot out there that you may not feel confident with because you become a number or you become you know that fifteen minutes is a billable You know.
Speaker 4: It's a billable charge.
Speaker 5: So if you're now going into the twenty minute mark, then not become something different.
Speaker 4: So you know, you've got to be an advocate for yourself. You've got to find an advocate.
Speaker 5: You've got to be transparent, You've got to be a great historian your own personal history and then whatever history you know from other family members, because genetics makes the difference.
Speaker 4: Genetics, your pedigree, your chart.
Speaker 5: Grandma was diagnosed in you know, nineteen six, and then grand Mama wasn't.
Speaker 4: But here I am so eskipped the generation.
Speaker 5: The more that the physician knows that your family history, the better your chances are are the better resources that physician has in order to get to where you need to be with the medications and your treatments and all the more. Whatever you hold back, they can't give you any information or any type of medication if you're holding back information, Just like the clusters you're on.
Speaker 4: You go in, she said, they say, well, how long have you had the headache?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: Just a month?
Speaker 6: But she's been suffering for five years. Yeah, why are you holding on to what you've experienced five years ago?
Speaker 4: And you're telling her a month?
Speaker 5: So now they're going to treat you as this is a new diagnosis, not that this is a long standing diagnoses that you've been dealing with for five years. Okay, So with that five years, there have been some other things that have taken place in your.
Speaker 4: Body because you've been dealing with us for five years.
Speaker 1: Not one month, gotcha? And I know we've been talking for a bit, but this stuff is just so important as I realized information or resources that I didn't know. If you are having an issue with your doctor, I've been in situations where I'm asking the doctor questions and it's almost like you taking a defense that I care about my body. I'm not saying that you're wrong. I'm asking because I need to understand.
Speaker 5: This is this is this is just what I was about to hear on I watched.
Speaker 4: The interaction between the patient and the doctor.
Speaker 5: Older lady and he's talking here medically like he's talking to his friends, his coworkers, and she's like, yes, yes, sir, uh huh, okay, thank you. So I watched him walk out of the room.
Speaker 11: I said, do you know what he said? And she just kind of smiled. I said, do you know what's wrong? She just smiled. I said, you have an ulcer?
Speaker 5: She said, why didn't he say, aw, sir, Well, he's used to talking to doctor X y Z.
Speaker 4: So they're talking, they targe.
Speaker 5: Nurse or nurse, and I say, because it's my thing, I'll listen to them.
Speaker 4: And I'm like, sir, with all due respect, they know me now.
Speaker 5: They're like Chandra, if you say it with all due respect, everything's about to hit the fan. But I'm like, I can follow with you, but when I can't, I'm gonna need you to break that down.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 5: When I had cancer the first time I was, there are certain markers on estrogen receptor site positive extragen receptor site negative.
Speaker 4: I don't want to go into all of that, but.
Speaker 5: When I first got diagnosed, I believe I was extragen receptor site negative. When the cancer came back, the doctor said, all right, Fitzpatrick, you know what time it is. You know we're gonna do this. I said, okay. He said, s your receptor sy positive? I said hum. He said why did you say that? I said, because the first cancer was negative. He said, are you sure? I said, go check it. You gotta be diligent too, You gotta this is your body. You gotta listen to what's going on. So he came back and he said, good.
Speaker 4: Find that was good. He's a wonderful doctor. He's a wonderful doctor, and I know he's got a thousand patients. He said, you're absolutely right. Do you know what that means?
Speaker 5: I said, yeah, I got a new primary in the same breast, so it's not like it's metastasized, so they don't have to go so radical with me. You've got two different cancers in the same breast, so there are two primaries.
Speaker 4: We can treat them and say both new.
Speaker 5: But what that means we have to remove that breast because now you've got two primaries different types of cancer breast, but different types of cancer.
Speaker 4: So now we cannot treat.
Speaker 5: That breath and it's different types of cancer, two different locations.
Speaker 4: We have to eradicate it.
Speaker 1: So I wonder if that happened with my mom because she had looked ucto me. Did I say that right? And then I don't What is the myomectomy? Why is that term? Is?
Speaker 5: That's what my mectamy is to reduce the size of your breast, So that is that's something you choose to do because if you have big breast and they're too heavy or whatever, myomectamy small and okay.
Speaker 4: To do with cancer is aesthetics.
Speaker 1: Is aesthetics okay? And so she has a lumped me my mother.
Speaker 5: Had that based on cancer or family history of cancer.
Speaker 4: Masectic maseectomy means to.
Speaker 1: Remove to a take out the breast issue.
Speaker 4: The breast tissue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, and sometimes that's done in order to lessen your chances of it coming back. Right. I believe Angelina Jolie did that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I have found that Angelina Joe Lee was high risk. She didn't have.
Speaker 1: Cancer right right, But I'm as a prevention.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it was prevention. But it doesn't mean that it.
Speaker 5: It doesn't mean that she can't be diagnosed with breast cancer because she took away the breast tissue.
Speaker 1: She could still get breast.
Speaker 5: So a lot of these celebrities, because they have family history, they don't themselves have breast cancer.
Speaker 4: They come around this time.
Speaker 5: Of year or whatever the big hot I had a masectomy because I was at his high risk, or I was.
Speaker 4: I was high risk, or there was a question.
Speaker 5: So I just had a complete masectomy and I had, you know, tissue from my abdomen or from my buttocks or implants place to let's in my wrisk. Well with the implants, cancer can hide behind there.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, you got a chest wall, just like how do you think men are diagnosed with breast cancer.
Speaker 4: They don't have breasts, they have chest.
Speaker 5: And it's at the chest wall, so it doesn't have to be what's protruding out from your chest wall, your breast.
Speaker 4: It could be your actual trust itself. Just like Chauldren. The second time, it was in between her breast, that's all my I'm so to believe it.
Speaker 5: The third time what they had to do. But I have found that women have started prophylactically getting double mistectomies because they don't even want to be bothered. They said, I've had my children, I'm married, I've had my children. I don't need these, and if my mom and sister had it, I don't want to take a chance.
Speaker 4: Just take the breast.
Speaker 5: I'm like, okay, but that doesn't eradicate anything.
Speaker 1: This is my sister's. My mother had a mass sectomy.
Speaker 5: Yes sect They did a circular cut, opened it up, took out the bad tissue, closed it back up. Made these two match and took some there's some shallow ye tell me? Yeah, n breast developed from her. I'm trying to think as a tram flat tram flat, yeah, wow. So they took they took fat off my stomach, and so I had a flat stomach and two perky breasts when they.
Speaker 1: Got through, and you got your life and I got.
Speaker 4: My life and the nipples. Yeah, it's come a long way.
Speaker 5: It's come a long way from what they used to do because in insurance wise, they make a.
Speaker 4: Match whereas they used to just take the breast off and you would be kind of.
Speaker 5: Locked or that you would have to have an implant prosthetic breast where they put this insert just like you know the T shirt bras that we wear and they have the little inserts to kind.
Speaker 4: Of make you eating or whatever. Well, they have one that's uh that's made of uh sellup. What do you call it? Not sello fane? What is it called nostyl from uh silicon? Silicon? There you go, a silicon.
Speaker 5: They have the silicones that they place inside the gummies or the ones that fit into your bra. Well, the ones that they fit into your bra they could be two to five pounds, depends on what cut side you were, so that could be very heavy slubbing.
Speaker 4: This thing around. So some people say, look forget it. I don't want anything. I came in with nothing.
Speaker 5: I don't want nothing other people body image or whatever the case may be. Yes, go ahead, give me the gum beers which ones letting men, that's another thing you got to research which ones have been recalled from a company, you know, because at one time Johnson and Johnson, their breast implants were leaky. So then you've had the solution from the sailine that's leaking into your body, that's absorbed into your blood stream, and that brings a whole another problem.
Speaker 4: So anyway, for yourself, you got to know what you're doing.
Speaker 5: You got up lock in with somebody who's been through so that they can walk with you and tell you what their experience was.
Speaker 4: It doesn't mean that her experience is going.
Speaker 5: To be my experience, but at least I know she's walked through three times as opposed to come on to a friend whose mama's grandmother.
Speaker 4: Back in the day when they opened them up, it went everywhere and they had to close them up.
Speaker 6: As soon as they close them up, they died on the beer. And so those you've got to eat what's.
Speaker 1: Your plenty in because what you get out get out come on. I think that's the word. I mean, we we so much. We could have gotten too, but I know that we have been on for a bed and I want to thank you for your time, especially because I know Misscheanda you said that you go to bed at five o'clock. We all had.
Speaker 4: I was looking, I'm like, oh, I'm.
Speaker 5: Two hours was a bed at five because she's up at one?
Speaker 1: Like it's oh my god. When I was hosting the FM dow front page, a lot of my listeners will be up in perky at two o'clock in the morning, I said, what are you doing? Wing? What is going on?
Speaker 4: I at early?
Speaker 5: So I'm always I'm always up, my eyes open about one.
Speaker 4: Thirty two o'clock, closed around five in the afternoon.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, so thank you so much. You know, what I got from this conversation is one you gotta have faith, and that's simple, having faith in which you cannot see. What do you believe over yourself? Being cognizant of what you speak over yourself and also what you put over yourself? What are you allowing in yourself and what to surround yourself with. I never really thought about what you meant when you said the environment. But that includes people as well, food as.
Speaker 9: Well, information, that box you know, that television, that social media, all that stuff.
Speaker 5: That's like guardiage. Yeah, you know, so you gotta be careful. Good stuff in, good stuff out.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm telling you that well, I said, from this conversation, I definitely feel as though I got some good stuff in. And I know for certain just that we got in the comments that we've gotten some good stuff out and it couldn't come forward unless you all had taken a chance to step up, to show up and show out and shed light pun intended, because this is vitamin D on what really matters to the heart. And that's what I said and each other. Before you get out of here, is there any just even if someone is just now stepping in, is there a resource or information that you can provide whether somebody needs some financial assistance. Because my mom I didn't think about it, luckily, I guess the insurance or whatever she had set up. There was a time that my mother couldn't be in our own home, whether it was because the dog was there, if there was some sports, just stuff, and it's just like fortunately we were able to stay in a hotel. I know there's organizations that actually help families, whether it's a mother or I guess in some case a father that may have breast cancer that helps with funding. Any information that you can provide before we head out of here.
Speaker 4: So there's so many different organizations that are available to you. There are a lot of.
Speaker 5: Different hospitals that operate on a sliding scale, so you just have to ask. Not all of them, but there are some that have funding that have been offered to them, you know as a perpetual gift or you know, a donation.
Speaker 4: Of some sort. So you just have to ask.
Speaker 5: Secondly, Secondly, you have to make sure you're insured. There's no reason why anybody should not be insured. Nobody, even someone who is you know, houseless right now, because there's all kinds of plans out.
Speaker 4: There is you know, you go through your social service department.
Speaker 5: I will say what I have to say offline dong and you can share later on if you choose to. There are facilities that you can go to and tell them what's going on, and they cannot refuse your medical care.
Speaker 1: They cannot pull up family get ready because you know, I'm sharing it. My sister just posted there was an organization that she used to work for, entitle, the Pink Fund, and a national organization that will help with funding, help with resources and all that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like any major medical facility that has a breast cancer facility or connection to there are resources.
Speaker 4: You just have to ask.
Speaker 1: Closed mouths don't get fans, so have.
Speaker 5: They also have social workers that will get you connected with medical care, be it you know, some of the HMOs that are signed to a certain area or whatever case.
Speaker 4: There are resources out there.
Speaker 5: You just have to ask for it and not be prideful in asking for it. The thing is is that there's somebody to help you in every industry and everywhere. Come on, you just have to ask, and you know you might get a you know, two no's or whatever, but that one yes is the yes that you know you need to get you to the next step. Environment stain hydrated, stain hydrated, stay hydrated, and then also making sure that you as much as you can within your own power to keep your stress level as low as you possibly can. Now, some people are trying on drama and that's how they operate.
Speaker 1: If it doesn't any other way, that's.
Speaker 4: How they operate. They function and trauma and drama. That's not my case, that's not my story. But what I can to you.
Speaker 5: Is trauma drama as on to the dis ease in your body.
Speaker 1: The disease, because if it doesn't serve you, it doesn't deserve you catch it. Catch it well, catch this ladies. Thank you so much. I don't know. We didn't talk about it. So if you just don't say nothing, that's fine too. I don't know if you open if people can check you out on any social media, or if there's any way if somebody has a question that they can follow up. Is there any information you would like to share an email? I don't know. I'm just putting it out there.
Speaker 4: Okay, we can do that.
Speaker 1: You want to say it now?
Speaker 4: Or oh can I say it?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I'm gonn write it?
Speaker 4: Not yeah, okay? In frank D, isn't David? Isn't that Edward? And isn't Nancy? Isn't Apple? Isn't Edward? At gmail dot com.
Speaker 1: Three time cancer survivor Chandra Fitzpatrick has said, if you have any concerns, if you have any questions, if you need any resources, to pull up on me. Her email is fis in Frank D isn' day? He is an elephant, and is in Nancy A is an apple? He is an elephant at gmail dot com. Closemouths, don't get fed, Just pull up and choose your life. All right, Well, thank you so much. Is there anything else.
Speaker 5: If you contact her and she needs to be there to be an advocate for you, she knows exactly how to get to me. Because I work for a major medical facility. Without getting their permission first, I cannot put out that information.
Speaker 4: But if you pull up on Chandra, she'll pull up on Hey.
Speaker 1: You better catch it. Because each one reach one, because each one don't teach one, all right.
Speaker 4: I believe that right, each one help one. Thank you if you were going to get all this content and information when.
Speaker 1: We met on Saturday, and I did not, all I knew was I was hongry, and somebody said they didn't need gluten free and I was like, well, where's the next thing for me? We are getting so many thank yous ms. Maya said thank you, Latasha said thank you, thank you so much for making room for showing up. And you know, little Dawn inside right now is smiling because you know that there's certain people that's gonna look out for the little Dawns and the little Charlotte's and the little Chandra's as well as the little chance who have all been affected by cancer some way somehow. So I say thank you, and I applaud you, Thank.
Speaker 5: You, Lord, you thank you for this opportunity, thank you for being here, thank you for the choice encounter. And I think all of your listeners, the ones that are here now, the ones that will come absolutely.
Speaker 1: And listen later.
Speaker 5: Yes, and just one thing we have to say to you, miss Daal, when you reach the pinnacle and you break that glass, don't forget about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I hope.
Speaker 1: No. Thank you so much, ladies, have a great night.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I hope you were inspired by this conversation like I was. I hope you realize that you are. You have survived one of the worst days of your life. I hope you realize that you can't fail if you don't quit, and if you can look up, you can get up. Believe in yourself, protect yourself, don't stress yourself out because if it doesn't serve you, and then it doesn't deserve you. If you need any more information or resources, I want to open up my email address once again for you to send an email to me and contact me Vitamin d at Dawn dai speaks dot com. And if this conversation moved you any clippers, can you tell somebody to tell somebody else that Dawn got a podcast. It is entitled vitamin D and with shedding lights so that you can be better, so that you can do better. Also, I want to welcome you to follow us on social media act Vitamin D Dawn Dai. That's Vitamin D Dawn Dai. And of course if you want your own personal don'ts of vitamin D, that be me, baby. I want to encourage you to follow me everywhere at dawn Dai speaks. All right, y'all know what time it is, how's coming is housekeeping is coming in here? You know, always saying I'm in the business of making dreams come true and I damn show ain't gonna forget about mine. So until next time, family, I'll see you on Thursday. Remember you one of your greatest assa get your
Speaker 2: It in Indy right here with me and get excited about your life.