Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Made it to a Thursday. It's our one, Dan and the Dan. It's Dan Patrick Show. We're used to snow around here, but when I turn on the news and I see New Orleans as snow, they're not used to it.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: The weather should be in the sixties, maybe close to seventies by the time we get there for Super Bowl Week. In fact, Seaton is going to be on the road next Monday. He and the French Kid. They get in the Maco van and they are off to New Orleans. They're going to have some pit stops there. We're going to let you know where they're going to be, or at least the general location. You can kind of follow along with them, and if you would like to warmly embrace them in your city, in your town, we'll let you know where they will be. Eight seven, seven to three. DP Show email ADDRESSDP at Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP show. Good morning those watching on Peacock, Thank you for allowing us in your homes. And stat of the day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of this program. Good morning to our radio affiliates. As well. It feels like the longer your team goes before they hire somebody, the worst it's going to get. Like if you're a Cowboy fan today and you're going, who are we hiring? If you're the Saints, does anybody want this job? The Jags? Now the Jets got Aaron Glenn, thoughts and prayers, and you start to think, okay, it's taken this long. Wait, you're gonna fire your GM in Jacksonville? Well wait, why didn't you fire him before the Raiders? You gotta fire your coach? Wait? Wait, wait, and then you're going to fire your GM. So the longer you wait, unless you're waiting for somebody who's in the postseason, it feels like the worst it's going to get. We'll talk to Albert Brier, the Monday Morning quarterback. He'll set us straight on everything that's going on right now. The Bears got their guy, they got Ben Johnson. The report that the Cowboys didn't even bring him in to interview him, or at least do a zoom call with Ben Johnson. The analogy that I'll use is, if I know that that girl doesn't want to go out with me, I'm not going to ask her to go out with me and get embarrassed. Jerry Jones probably thinks Ben Johnson, all you young offensive whippers snapper here, you think you could come in here and change our culture. I'm the one who changes the culture. And that culture is actually the culture that never changes. So are you going to hire or promote Brian Schottenheimer as the Cowboys new head coach? And if that's the case, there are reports they're going to promote the offensive coordinator his father borderline Hall of Fame coach. Maybe is a Hall of Fame coach, and Brian Schottenheimer feels like a Cowboys coach. Hey, come on in, you get the title. But you, Brian, you know the drill. I'm the coach. I'm the captain now. So he already knows that going in. If you bring in Brian Johnson, Brian Johnson's going to be like Ben Johnson, He's gonna be like, I got autonomy here. If you don't bring in the number one offensive minded person who was available in the off season and you could zoom call the Bears didn't fly in Ben Johnson, he zoomed, Which is weird. Though, You're going to hire somebody and they don't even take a tour of the facilities. I thought that that was kind of strange. But Ben Johnson showing a little personality yesterday as he was sworn in as the new head coach of the Chicago Bears, and he talked about his expectations for his team.
Speaker 3: Get comfortable being uncomfortable. The bar has been set higher than it's ever been set before. The only way for this team and for you is individual players to reach your potential is to be pushed and to be challenged. And that's exactly what I and my staff plan on doing. Our mission starting the spring is to win, and to win now.
Speaker 2: Alrighty, let's go, got T shirts and banners. Get comfortable being uncomfortable? Yeah, I don't know what it means, but yeah, we're ready. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Seton Does he deliver everything like he's reading it off a sheet wild paper?
Speaker 2: Oh well, This is what he thought of the Bearers this past season while he was in Detroit.
Speaker 3: Going into this season, I felt like this place was a sleeping giant. To be honest with you, I personally was more concerned about the Chicago Bears than was anybody else in this division. Now, there's a number of reasons why that did not unfold, all right, which that's why I'm here. I'll get to the bar attom of that and we'll see if we can't get that corrected and cleaned up.
Speaker 2: Okay, whatever that meant. He talked about taking his family to the Cubs games. Oh, he's one of us. We love the Cubs, he's one of us. Our prayers have been answered.
Speaker 1: Here.
Speaker 2: This first hour brought to you by ti rack dot com, the official tire expert of the Dan Patrick Show. Go to tyrac dot com slash Dan the Tire Decision Guide, full lineup of Yoklahama tires, special offers, free roade, hazard protection, mobile tire installation, tirac dot com The way tire buying should be. We'll talk to our good buddy, former quarterback Sean Sulisbury a little bit later on lots of NBA college basketball coming up tonight. The Miami Heat have suspended Jimmy Butler again. He's doing his best to get traded, and it feels like the Phoenix Suns are doing their best to try to come up with the pieces to be able to bring in Jimmy Butler and advise doing that at his age. You know the Phoenix Suns. They're trying to do something. But you're trying to get these pieces to fit together. And does Jimmy Butler really help you that much? I mean I never would have brought in back Bradley Beal. I mean fifty million dollars. If Bradley Beal's playing out there in the field house here, I wouldn't go out there and see him and no offense. But he just he's he's a guy that you go, wow, he scored a lot of points in his career.
Speaker 5: I don't know if you could no offense that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably is there somebody named Noah Fence in America? The Sons are playing five hundred ball, but Jimmy Butler wants to get paid. What is he thirty five thirty six?
Speaker 6: Yes, Marvin and Bradley Beal also has a no trade clause on his contract.
Speaker 2: Which makes it even worse.
Speaker 6: It's like him and Lebron. I think those are orange players in the NBA, because that's why put in the same category.
Speaker 2: Yes Ron, Yeah, yeah, can't move him all right? Eight seven to seven to three, DP show email address Dpatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle a DP show Cowboys Jags, Raiders, and the Saints. Those are the openings. We'll talk to Albert Breer about that. The college football Title game ratings were down. Probably a couple of reasons for that. As we said, you know, a Monday night after football games over the weekend. Inauguration was that night. I can see why they would be even though you do have Ohio State and Notre Dame. Imagine if you didn't have Ohio State and or Notre Dame in there. But the ratings were down. Not surprised. They got to fix that. You know, college football has This is an interesting offseason. It's not the most important offseason. I think that'll be the following year when they decide what they're going to do. As far as expanding the playoffs, maybe to fourteen, I think they got to get the seating down. Just because you win your conference doesn't mean that you get a first round. By me. Some things that they can clean up here. But the contract, the new contract goes into effect in twenty twenty six. But as far as the national title game, we suggested, why not on a Thursday night prior to the divisional games. You know, there was such a long stretch in between and your I don't know, you just kind of you lose that. You get lost in that vortex that's known as the NFL. But the ratings, the ratings were down, and I think you got to you got to change that. Now there was a blowout right in front of us, and you might have tuned out of that game. But ESPN announced yesterday that uh twenty two million viewers. That's the most watched non NFL sporting event over the past year, but a twelve percent drop from the twenty five million that tuned in from Michigan over Washington in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 7: Stat of the.
Speaker 2: Day, stat of the day, Best stat of the Day's stat of the day.
Speaker 8: Here comes that?
Speaker 2: What stat of the day. Here's something for you from a source. The Big ten and SEC everybody, the athletic directors are meeting in New Orleans February nineteenth, So that's going to take place before the college football playoff meetings. So you're gonna discuss everything that's going on there. And I think you want to get that championship game fixed. Are you gonna have conference title games? The fact the ACC came out and said we don't want our conference champion the regular season champ to play in the conference title game because we don't want them to play one more game in case they lose that game, your best team, then they don't get seated as high as you would like. I think the ACC had the eleventh and twelfth seeded teams in the playoffs this year with SMU and Clemson, but I think you would have the second in third place teams play in the conference championship game instead of the team that's the best team in the ACC. Now, Setan came up with some logic attached to this of why the ACC would do this, because at first I thought, boy, they're desperate to try to do something, and then Setan said, no, there might be some logic attached to this, and they might be using another model in another sport. You're going to protect the winning team. Setan, if you'd like to explain what you think the ACC is doing with having these second and third place teams play for their conference championship game, Well, what they do.
Speaker 4: In soccer is say in England, right, you have the Premier League, which is the top, and then you have a championship which is just below that, and they have promotion and relegations. So the top three teams from championship go up to the Premier League every year, and the bottom three from the Premier League go down to championship every year. But the way that they'll do the promotion part of it to get from championship up to the Premier League is the top two teams in the league automatically advance, and then there's a playoff for the third spot, so you basically reward the teams that did the best. Every game matters. Every game is important. You have to win your games, you have to win the league. Winning the league is still very important, but if you want to get promoted, there's a playoff for the third spot rather than the first spot.
Speaker 2: I can't wait for relegation in college football if anybody is going to attack the NFL for popularity. If I put relegation in where you're watching games that you would never watch, but now all of a sudden there's relegation, Oh my god. That's when every game counts. Because I remember when I said I'm all for twelve team playoff. It'll make the regular season even more valuable, and that proved to be true. Every game mattered because more teams were getting into the postseason or the opportunity to get a chance to play in the postseason. They're going to expand that. They know the money that's attached to that. But if you said there was relegation, Let's say North Dakota State winning this year was going to get promoted and they're going to go into the Big Twelve. And let's say Baylor gets relegation. Oh, I don't know, throw out a team, but just having that, let's say the two teams that play, you know, like it's Montana State against North Dakota State, and both teams get promoted, and then you'll have relegation. What if you had just forty schools and then every year two went up and two went down. Yeah, seton that.
Speaker 4: Soccer is the most popular sport in every country that has promotion and relegation, and if it doesn't, then the sport tends to suffer a bit. I really believe that if college football was to institute pro rel it would in five years it would probably be the most popular sport in the country. Wow, it just you just can't replicate the dynamics of what it means to move up and what it means to move down. You just you can't compare it to anything else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pulling.
Speaker 9: You put the national title game like Ohio State Notre Dame, eight o'clock on a Saturday, but three o'clock on that Saturday is Montana State versus North Dakota State or whatever. The FCS title game is a lot of eyeballs, like you said you own that day. That'd be fantastic. And by the way, the last place team in the Big Twelve this year was Oklahoma State.
Speaker 2: Oh sorry, wow?
Speaker 5: Can you imagine a big money squad like that?
Speaker 2: I'm going down forty, I'm a man, and I'm relegated.
Speaker 10: Yes, dud, could you put the four screens up of the teams that are most likely to be relegated, just like they do in the tournament to see if you get in and what you see it is and see the emotional reactor to your relegating.
Speaker 2: I love that. I think you could. College football has got some changes, you know, they know that they need to come up with changes. They need to come up up with something that says they know what the changes are that they need to make. But I think it's an interesting offseason. All right. We will come up with a poll question today at least for the first hour, and we'll talk to Albert Breer, the Monday morning quarterback. What exactly are the Jags doing? Well, what are the Raiders doing? What are the Cowboys doing? Did the Jets get their guy? We'll come back try to answer all those questions right after this Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 11: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 12: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 11: Why should you listen to Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 12: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 11: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 12: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right.
Speaker 11: So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up.
Speaker 12: As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 11: Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific. And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Play of the Day coming up. Get to your phone calls. How about we settle on a poll question. Also, there was some big news yesterday, and there was a big news that had to do with the top of the draft. Yesterday morning, Travis Hunter was plus fourteen hundred to be the number one overall pick. Cam Ward was the favorite. The Titans head of football Operations Chad Brinker stated, we won't pass on a generational talent with the first pick in the NFL Draft. Well, guess who shot up to number two on the favorites to go number one? Cam Ward is plus one oh five. Travis Hunter went from plus fourteen hundred to plus one forty. Then it's Shador Sanders Abdul Carter Penn State is fourth on that list. So it feels like the Titans with the number one pick in the draft are going to take a generational talent, and I would think that would be Travis Hunter, not cam Ward. But you're going to get artificial inflation with the quarterbacks because just the need some teams are going to have to get a quarterback. That doesn't mean they should be taking number one or number two, number three, even in the top five. And usually I'll look at where mel Kiper and some of these experts have players ranked, and your quarterbacks won't be in the top ten as far as they're ranking, but that doesn't mean they won't go in the top five. We'll talk to Albert Breer, the Monday Morning quarterback. He'll join us. Coming up in a moment. All right, Seaton Poll question for hour one, what are you thinking about?
Speaker 12: Well?
Speaker 4: I got one here, which would you rather your team higher? An offensive coordinator or a defensive coordinator. I always feel like I get more into like, oh, hell yeah, they got the offensive coordinator.
Speaker 2: The Lions like, damn, that's a great high.
Speaker 4: Oh you got the defensive coordinator.
Speaker 2: Uh, well that's cool. That'll know, that'll be good. That'll be good, but you still win with defense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it just doesn't get me exciting.
Speaker 2: No, I agree, I agree.
Speaker 4: You know what, We're gonna win a lot of games ten to seven and it's gonna be awesome. You're gonna take it all the way to the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Like everybody gets caught up on offense, but it comes down to defense, certainly this time of the year. Philadelphia good defense, I mean, Kansas City really good defense here. But I you know, we love the offense. We love to have the shiny objects they and Ben Johnson's gonna be dialing things up for Caleb Williams. You'll have to win the line of scrimmage, offensive defensive line. That's what football is all about. Will always be that way. And I always go back to when the Patriots roughed up Patrick Mahomes in this or I should say Tampa rough them up in the Super Bowl. It's because they dominated the offensive line dominated and Patrick Mahomes was just an average quarterback. Now, not everybody can do that, but when you can do that, when you win the line of scrimmage. Ohio State won the line of scrimmage against Notre Dame offensive and defensive. That's what this is all about. You can have great players, you must have great offensive and defensive lines. Yes, but I would so.
Speaker 4: Much rather watch a game where a team wins forty eight to forty two, oh then seven nothing.
Speaker 2: Well okay, But if I said your team's gonna win, but they're gonna win and seven to nothing, or they're going to lose forty eight to forty.
Speaker 4: Two, well, I don't know who anybody who would pick losses for their team.
Speaker 2: Well, just the regular season game for entertainment. That's probably a more enjoyable experience for anybody universally. He's probably forty eight forty two than seven to nothing. Yeah, but it's about winning. It's not about style points. And I would I want somebody to that's going to change the culture. I don't want an offensive or defensive I mean Dan Campbell, what was he a tight ends coach? His specialty was what changing the culture? That's what I want. So Ben Johnson can be an offensive genius there. You got to change the culture. That's the hard part. Sean McVay is an offensive minded guy, but he's got a culture about him. There's certain coaches and I think that's really important. Mike Vrabel's, you know, brought in not to be a defensive minded guy. He's brought in to change the culture, and that's the difference. Albert Breer, the Monday Morning Quarterbacks senior NFL reporter, joining us on the program. All right, let me start with the Jaguars. What is Jacksonville doing.
Speaker 8: Doesn't seem like they know themselves.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 13: I think the fact that the owner isn't around a lot probably affected this process. And you know, I think he wanted somebody to help him. Shad con did with the with the coaching search, which I think in the past has been why you've seen a bunch of half measures. In the decade and a half that he's on the team, he's only done a clean sweep once, despite a lot of losing, and that was a long time ago. He didn't want to go it alone, so he holds on to Trent Balki, and after two weeks they realize what I think everyone had known all along, which was Trent Balki was a serious impediment towards them getting the the right head coach, and there were a lot of coaches who didn't want to work with Trent based on his past history, based on the clashes that he had with a bunch of different people over the years. You want to go back to San Francisco, Jim Harbaugh, you know, more recently, obviously Doug Peterson there over the last couple of years, and some issues that he had with Peterson and his staff.
Speaker 8: And so where is it.
Speaker 13: Sixteen days later, seventeen days later, they're sort of hitting reset, starting over again.
Speaker 8: Now they really like Robert Salad, who will be in there tomorrow for a second interview.
Speaker 13: I think there's a chance they open it back up and you know, maybe bring guys like Joe Brady back next week.
Speaker 8: But obviously now they've got.
Speaker 13: To concurrently run a general manager search as well, and I think that sort of resets the whole process. And you know, I think then you see guys like like Ian Cunningham coming in.
Speaker 8: To interview for the job.
Speaker 13: The thing that sucks there is that you've taken some viable candidates off the table on that end too, you know, whereas on the head coach.
Speaker 8: Side, now Ben Johnson, Aaron Glenn.
Speaker 13: Mike Frable, guys who might have had an interest in the job of Trent Balki hadn't been there or off the table.
Speaker 8: Now you know qualified.
Speaker 13: General manager candidates like Mike Borganzi and Tennessee, John spy Tech and Vegas who are off the table as well.
Speaker 2: What's to say about Trevor Lawrence. I think that's the bigger picture that any any coaches coming in wants to know the quarterbacking situation. You would think that would have been a positive for Jacksonville to have Trevor Lawrence, that you would have the coaches would be running for that job, that you got your franchise quarterback. I think it says a lot about Trevor Lawrence in this situation.
Speaker 8: I think it says more about Trent Balki, don't you.
Speaker 2: I mean, like, yes, I was shocked that they were going to keep him. I can I can replace a GM, I'm not going to be able to replace Trevor Lawrence.
Speaker 13: Yeah, And I think like that's a yeah, and that's part of it. Of course, there's some different opinions on Trevor Lawrence, but I think everybody agrees to these talented and you can win with him. Now, you know, is he worth fifty five million dollars a year?
Speaker 8: You might get some diversion.
Speaker 13: Opinions on that, and I think as he came into the league, he I would say, as he came into the league, you know, like there was a feeling that this guy's more raw than anyone really thought. And it was a result of playing a pretty in a pretty simplistic offense at Clemson. He had played a lot of football there, but you know, he wasn't doing a lot of NFL things there and obviously playing on a supreme, supremely talented team as well. So I think he's got ability, you know that that that's for sure. The physical traits are all there. The question is can you get him to that next level? And I mean, look like you know, in the in the AFC.
Speaker 8: Right now, I'd argue you've got maybe.
Speaker 13: The four best players in the sport at that position in Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, and Joe Burrow. And so is Trevor Lawrence good enough to break through that glass ceiling? I think that's a fair question to ask.
Speaker 2: All right, what are the Cowboys doing?
Speaker 13: Another one where I'm not sure they are even quite sure, which is mind blowing to me because they had a year to prepare for this Dan, you know, like I.
Speaker 8: It was no secret.
Speaker 13: You know, they were the ones that created this situation for themselves where Mike McCarthy was in a contract year. I actually believe that if if he had term left on his contract, they would have held on to him for another year. But because they created that situation for themselves, things got awkward after the year, there's no real negotiation, and they cut it off, you know, eight days after other teams are already into their coaching searches, and so they went into this thing behind and they were playing catch up. You know, it kind of cut them off from talking to the Lions assistance and the chiefs assistants when you know other teams were doing that and now you see them leaning back on familiarity and you know the names are different, of course.
Speaker 2: But why aren't they interviewing ben Jonson? Why didn't they zoom ben Jonson?
Speaker 8: Because it's too late.
Speaker 13: They didn't have a chance to because because the rules say, if you're like for the for the teams that had the buys right Lions and Jeefs, that windows only open through the wildcard rounds.
Speaker 2: So but they put themselves in this position though Albert.
Speaker 8: Right then that's what I'm saying. They created that situation for themselves.
Speaker 13: Like if they had said on Monday of whatever the date was, the Monday after the season, if they had just said, all right, like that's it, we're walking away from Mike McCarthy, and they certainly could have gone and talked to Ben Johnson. I think Mike Frabel would have been really interested in that job. And part of the reason why the Patriots moved as fast as they did was that they knew there was a relationship there between Rabel and the Joneses, and the Joneses would have been really interested in Mike Frable.
Speaker 2: You're making this even worse for Cowboys that they didn't get rid of Mike McCarthy, so they could have interviewed Ben Johnson, and Mike Brabel probably would have been interested in taking that job other than that enjoying Brian Schottenheimer as your new head coach.
Speaker 13: But I think, like to me, isn't the tell though, Dan, like who they're looking at?
Speaker 1: Like, what do you do?
Speaker 8: If you're really lost?
Speaker 13: You'll lean back on familiarity, right Deon Sanders, Kellen Moore, Brian Shott, I'm or Jason Witten like the names that you're hearing here are all names they're familiar with, which is exactly what you would do if you didn't have a plan, right, Like, so you know, it's just it's I don't know, I mean, like looking at where that team is, They're in a funky spot from a contract standpoint.
Speaker 8: Obviously it's just signed Dak and Ceedee Lamb.
Speaker 13: They're they're in for another big one this offseason with Micah Parsons, and that's going to be a big box decision, you know, I think waiting on him. You know, now he's going to ask for forty million dollars a year, and you know, I'd say as a player, he's certainly worth it.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 13: So they're they're they're in this weird spot from a team standpoint, and like now you look at where they're at, I mean, is the answer for them what they did in two thousand and seven when they brought back Jason Garrett and Jason Garrett was.
Speaker 8: Sort of the coach and waiting and then they had.
Speaker 13: Wade Phillips as the experienced hand there is that what they're gonna wind up doing with Brian schottenheim Er, Jason Witten are they going to go back to the well with Kellen Moore, which would kind of be what the plan had been a few years ago, that that Callen Moore would be the future head coach of the Cowboys. Do they really take a swing and do Dion Sanders. I mean, all the names you're hearing now, their names are familiar with and I just you know, you do have to question whether or not there's there they're thinking has gotten way too insular there.
Speaker 2: I'm talking to Albert Breer the Monday Morning Quarterback. The m m QB dot com is where you can find his articles. The Raiders. Tom Brady doesn't lose very often, but it feels like he lost out on Ben Johnson. And what that now means, you know, another organization, Hey, we fired the coach dot dot dot dot, and we fired the general manager. And it felt like they were making they were paving the way for Ben Johnson to come in and say, hey, you're gonna be able to run this team where we're gonna get a GM that you can work with.
Speaker 8: But yep, that was certainly Yep, that was certainly the case.
Speaker 13: And I I heard I'd heard that Brady was enamored with with Don Johnson and really like the idea Ben Johnson, and Ben was going to turn down that interview, and Brady making calls and presenting a compelling vision was the reason why he took the interview. You know, my understanding was like Ben really loved the vision that Brady put in front of him when they did have a chance to talk, and you know, Brady made a real run at it. And yeah, I think pieces of this or that the comfort for Johnson, for Ben Johnson being in the Midwest and his family is very comfortable in Detroit. Chicago is not that much different of a place if you're raising a family, and then you know, finding a comfort level with the with the front office and and with ownership there, and then you know, you wind up landing. You're landing in a spot that does have a young quarterback in Caleb Williams. So I think Brady was kind of climbing uphill on that one and almost made it. But you know that that you know, not not landing the guy forces you to pivot.
Speaker 8: And and now he goes back into his.
Speaker 13: Past and brings in the guy he's really familiar with, in John Spytek, to help him out. I think that like sort of creates a reset for them a little bit on the coaching search. Spy Tech's a guy who's I think, you know, along with Mike Borganzi. Like those two guys were very very ready the last couple of years. There were a lot of people that were stunned that they hadn't gotten jobs yet. And spy Tech's pretty close with Brady. They played together at Michigan, and that's been a little overblown. They didn't really know each other very well then Brady was the starting quarterback, spy Tech was on the scout team. But over the three years they were together in Tampa, spy Tech actually ran the Tuesday meeting that Belichick used to run for Brady and New England that Nick Cassario used to run for Brady in New England, where you're looking at the next week's opponent, So meeting every week, breaking down the opponent a week ahead, like all that stuff that he would that those two were doing together, they were able to form a little bit of a bond. And so when the door closes on Ben Johnson, Brady you know, went and got a guy who really respects in spy Tech, and now I think they reset the coaching search a little bit, and we'll see where they go with that.
Speaker 2: Better higher what the Jets did or what the Bears did.
Speaker 13: I really liked what the Jets did. I like both guys. Both guys I think will be really a good will be good head coaches. I just look at like where the Jets are at.
Speaker 8: And I think the Jets I think this was correct.
Speaker 13: I've been very critical of the Jets over the last few months. I think the Jets got something right here in that. I think Mike Tannebaum, being a guy who'd been there before, some of the executives maybe looking a little bit in the mirror, they realize, like, we need somebody who's going to embrace being here, and we need somebody who's going to embrace the spotlight of New York. And we need somebody who understands the dynamics of working in this franchise and the narratives that get spun out there, and the fact that everybody thinks for our service.
Speaker 8: We need somebody who's going to embrace the challenge of that.
Speaker 13: And they've had a lot of guys over the last couple of decades that have come in there and said they were going to do that, but then in the end have sort of chafed against it, you know what I mean, Like, and I've really chafed against the dynamics that exist in that franchise.
Speaker 8: And so I think.
Speaker 13: Going and finding somebody who's gonna embrace the challenge of that, who understands the challenge of that, and the guy who's a first round pick there and played a bunch of years there.
Speaker 8: I think they got this one right.
Speaker 13: And I think if you spend five minutes around Aaron Glenn, he screams head coach. So I really like what the Jets did there, and I look like I think the Bears got it right too, Like I think Ben Johnson's got got a got a great future as a head coach. But I think just as far as like if you're talking about what a franchise needs, I think the Jets got exactly what.
Speaker 8: They needed in hiring Aaron Glenn.
Speaker 2: What about the Saints, Yeah, that's another one.
Speaker 13: You know, like they've sort of leaned up familiarity a little bit there, you know, like the snowstorm has affected some things. They're gonna they're gonna have Anthony Weaver back in there. You know, they're they're trying to get Mike McCarthy, and over the weekend, this one sort of seems like it might be McCarthy to me. You know, McCarthy didn't initially, Like initially McCarthy just took the trip to Chicago. I think McCarthy was a little bit more focused on the Chicago job, you know. But just you know, with Mickey Loomis there and and and the roster being what it is and where it is right now. I you know, I think after you strikeout on Aaron Glenn, who I would say was probably their first choice, you look at it and you say, okay, like what can we do to sort of stabilize the franchise and and and get ourselves in a position where maybe we can win a little bit with the current cores, but then we're going to be set up to move on from that core and rebuild. And Mike McCarthy's volume of experience I think really helps him there. He of course was there in Green Bay when they went from from Brett Farv to Aaron Rodgers. He really had a huge hand in developing Aaron Rodgers. And so, you know, if you're looking at a situation where you've got an older quarterback, and you know you're looking to turn the page in a lot of spots in your roster. I think you do a lot worse than Mike McCarthy. So McCarthy makes a lot of sense to me. Here's the other thing. I just think perception of McCarthy's kind of screwed up. What his resume next to Mike Tomlins. What's the difference.
Speaker 2: Oh, I've said it before. I think we just have this when we see Mike McCarthy, it doesn't scream head coach. You look at Mike Tomlins.
Speaker 8: I agree with you.
Speaker 2: Physical appearance right, absolutely, Sean Payton, Oh, he looks like a head coach. Mike Tumblin looks like a head coach. John Harball head coach. Wait, who's that guy? I mean Andy Reid fought through this. Yeah, where we looked at Andy Reid and you're like, that looks like the kool aid guy, Like, he doesn't look like a coach. And I think McCarthy as well. The optics. But you know, I thought he was going to get a job, but I didn't know if it was going to be New Orleans. So that it feels like the game of me.
Speaker 8: He was there.
Speaker 13: Here's the other thing is like he worked with Mickey Loomis for five years and I do think like they wanted to be open minded there. And look, I think Joe Brady's a good candidate there too. He's another one like where you look at him. He's got experience with the franchise and everything else. But you know, I think our own personal experiences are a are always a factor. And I think Mickey wants to get this one right. He understands he's at the end of his career and yeah, he's got a group of players that, like he liked to try to make at least maybe one more run with them before completely resetting.
Speaker 2: And I think.
Speaker 13: McCarthy gives him the opportunity to do that as a guy that he worked with again for five years at the start of his time in New Orleans.
Speaker 2: Always great to talk to you, No, you're busy. We'll see you to the Super Bowl. Thank you, Elvert, Absolutely Thanks Dan, Albert Breer the MMQB. You can go to mmqb dot com senior NFL reporter. We'll take a break, play the day up Next.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine Am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 5: W app Oh my God.
Speaker 2: Of the day, better lives.
Speaker 12: I gotta.
Speaker 2: This is no play of the day.
Speaker 7: Check this out.
Speaker 14: Check Goode's gonna set a screen. Fred down those at the back of the ram. No a man tops in the rebounds, saved by singer on the sideline, hands it over to Brooks. Got seven to shoot deep three Freddy vieg three balls, top back, tip balls, tame.
Speaker 1: But what oo?
Speaker 2: Houston led by thirteen with eleven minutes to go. Cavs went on a nineteen and nothing run with four minutes left. Freddie van Vliet, we got it. Getting to change it to Freddie van Fleet. I think it's maybe it's too late. Maybe it's too late for Freddie van Fleet. Yes, yes, maybe it should be Red Freddy Vranreen instead of van Fleet. Let's go Red van Fleet, Red van Riet. UH Sports Talk seven ninety am, The Rockets Radio Net. That's your play of the day, brought to you by Express Employment Professionals. From contract placements to full time hires. They've got you covered. Visit expresspros dot com. They can help you hire the right team. They'll handle the hiring so you can focus on growing your business. That's your play of the day. Update the poll results there seat in early poll results, early.
Speaker 4: Poll results I put up there, would you want your team to hire an offensive coordinator or defensive coordinator?
Speaker 2: Right now?
Speaker 4: Early results show the sixty eight percent would rather have the offensive coordinator.
Speaker 2: It sounds like a lot of fun. We don't talk about the offensive coordinator for the Kansas City Chiefs, do we isn't that Andy Reid? Well, they had very b enemy for a long time. We talked about him quite a bit. Yeah, and what happened to him?
Speaker 6: Yeah, not that.
Speaker 2: But we do talk about spags a lot. We talk about spags. Do can't win if you don't score? Yeah, we all you have to do is score three. If they hold you scoreless, you win. Those defense coordinators are good at putting up three. Yeah, that's all you need. Hey, what happened when the Ravens. The Ravens defense said to the offense, hey, just get ten points. We'll take it from there, and they won a Super Bowl? The Giants when they won their Super Bowls? Would they win with defense shut them down? Still comes back to that, got to make a play, got to make a defensive play at some point. There are probably more moments that are defensive related in big moments than we give people credit for. But you know, when you're winning super Bowls, got to have a big play at some point, no matter how good the offense is.
Speaker 4: Yes, see, it'd be awesome if we were talking about how Rodney Harrison broke up that play instead of the helmet. Unfortunately we remember the catch and not Yeah, the great defensive play.
Speaker 2: That is true, but we also remember that defensive front should have been the MVP. If both of those.
Speaker 4: Patriots managed to sack Eli Manning when they five players had him in their hands and somehow he got out of that.
Speaker 2: That would have been a cool defensive They weren't, He wasn't in the grass or anything like that. That would have been a cool defensive moment in Super Bowl history. Like Malcolm Butler seemed to be a big moment. That was a good one. It's a really good one. Yes, and they should have handed it off though they shouldn't have. Should have been a good offensive moment.
Speaker 5: Yeah, too soon. Yeah, the Commanders are interesting.
Speaker 9: They hired a defensive guy and dan Quinn hat backwards, tough guy, looks like he lists. But then they bring in Kingsbury. They went from thirty second in the league in defense to eighteenth. They went from twenty fifth in offense to fifth this year.
Speaker 2: Well, if you have a good offense, that's going to help your defense, and vice versa. If you have a ball control kind of offense keeps your defense off the field. I mean, it's all synchronousy, it's all in unison. I don't think you can just go this is what we do really well. I mean there's some teams in history. You know, the Bears defense. Yeah, yeah, let's talk more about the Bears when they won the Super Bowl. That defense. But they did have offensive weapons. But you know, you're not going to win a Super Bowl without having, you know, just one of those items. It's really rare. Although that Ravens defense, yes they didn't. They shut out the Giants, and that felt like they shut out the Giants in that Super Bowl. Yes, Mark relax.
Speaker 6: It was thirty five to seven.
Speaker 2: Oh my bad.
Speaker 6: And that was actually a kickoff return. It wasn't offensive touchdowns. A special teams touchdown.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, see that Patriots Eagles super Bowl. It'd be nice if there was even just one stop on defense.
Speaker 2: There was zero nothing, no punts. Yeah, yeah, that game was crazy. That was a crazy game. But that really was what happened at the very end. Was it Brandon Graham with the sack on Tom Brady one handed Tom Brady?
Speaker 6: Yes, Martin, that's like even the greatest show on Turf the tackle by Mike Jones against Kevin Dyson to have a Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Yeah, big defensive play, greatest show on turf got shut down by the Patriots defense. Too rough to moup. Let's see Andrew and Washington. I Andrew, welcome back, Good.
Speaker 7: Morning, DP and Dannet, thanks for taking my call. I have a a couple of questions about those gms and head coaches and then a possible full question. But you know, I think that Tom Telasco and Trent Balky were given time to get their coaches and if they didn't gain a commitment or they didn't get the higher then they were moved on from And I think that Tom Brady's bringing in his regime his old college teammate from nineteen ninety nine, the guy that was with him in Tampa Bay for the Super Bowl he won. So he's going to bring in something familiar as far as coaching too, Mike Rabel did get Josh McDaniels. We talked about that a couple of weeks ago. I think that's good for Drake Ay. And you know, as far as you look at there's two defense of coordinators up to head coach in the in the conference championships, and there's two offensive minded head coaches, Nick Serrioty and Andy Reid. The other two are defensive guys. So I don't think it matters when these teams hire their coaches because I think Dan Quinn was the last hire last year and everybody kind of looked at him as a left over and retread. But it looks like he's done pretty good. Would you rather? Is what you brought up about Ohio State and Michigan. So it sounds like Ohio State lost again by Michigan having higher ratings in their national championship.
Speaker 2: I mean, if Michigan needs another victory lap, then great. More people wanted to see Michigan win a national title in Ohio State, I don't think too many other people would be doing a deep dive on that. Yeah, people care more? Mean, do you care more about Washington versus Michigan than Notre Dame versus Ohio State. I think there are other things that factored in to that that number. I think when the game was played and it was after, you know, an NFL weekend inauguration, one hour in the books