Speaker 1: Welcome to NFL Daily, presented by Draft Kings Sportsbook, where we're finally sleeping.
Speaker 2: Well because the heat wave is over in Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: I feels so much better here in the Chris Westling podcast studio where it's always cool, and I'm here with the two of the coolest guys at NFL Network, Steve Weish and Patrick Claybond.
Speaker 3: Well, we're trying to be cool.
Speaker 4: I mean, it has cool down, but still half of the county is on fire right now, and I've had I've had to clarify to people because it's like you say hot, and it's like, well, it's la hot.
Speaker 3: There were a couple of days. Oh yeah, it was just hot period, Like it would have been hot no matter where.
Speaker 1: I'm sleeping on couches downstairs, because yeah, my bedroom and forget it, forget about it.
Speaker 2: It's not happening.
Speaker 1: So I feel good that it's finally over, and I feel good that we're here too.
Speaker 2: Week two a fun week.
Speaker 1: Steve, you were you were talking, I remember in the newsroom last week, just Week ones. The ultimate liar.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 4: It's a non true teller to some degree, like some teams that's got smoked last week or didn't look good, or they'll get it back, and some teams it came out like Gangbusters. They'll settle back down to Earth and then by week three that's when things will stabilize. I mean a lot of guys didn't play in the preseason, a lot of guys didn't have to go to the headset operation and things like that, So these things will be worked out. I don't think the Bengals are going on seventeen, you know, so we'll figure some things out.
Speaker 1: Yes, and this is the first time. If you have you're checking in that Steve which is in the building for the previous show, But we're going to be doing this up to every week and that you might not know Steve unless you listen.
Speaker 2: Hopefully you did.
Speaker 1: It was a great show that we're ordering the games every week in order of the point spread. So the closer it is, we're going to lead the show, which means Patrick, we're probably the only show in the country leading with Rams Cardinals.
Speaker 3: Yes, and that's why we start with what the unknown is? Right. We journey into the unknown with a divisional matchup in the afternoon Sunday. The Rams favored by one and a half points, excuse one point. Actually it's the Cardinals. I know.
Speaker 2: I had to reread update.
Speaker 3: I'm looking at the Arizona Cardinals, a one point home favorite against the Rams. Both teams coming into h one to one. Massive injury report for Los Angeles a Pookinakols on our Steve Avilla, the lineman had a knee injury. Joe Noteboom left the game with a high ankle sprain. Other than that, miss Lincoln, how was the play? Greg Is Maddie is nine enough to just go out there throw doms and beat the Cardinals?
Speaker 2: I don't know. It's last week.
Speaker 1: It was one of those weeks where McVeigh and Stafford both in Cooper Cup ROAs to the moment so well, but then when you don't get a W in that spot, like can they do it again? Because the Cardinals don't have much of a pass rush, so this is the right team and situation for the Rams to maybe get a W. But a Curry at left tackle did not look like an NFL player. McLendon at right tackle did not look like an NFL player. You have a new guy at center, so we'll see how he works out. Haven Stein, We're not sure if he's going to play, but he isn't expected to practice early in the week, so they could be missing four of their starting offensive linemen and without Pooka Nakua. Yeah, it's all about Cooper Cup Like can Cooper Cup handle this sort of load?
Speaker 2: The Cardos did have maybe the.
Speaker 1: Worst defense in the league last year, and we're one of the worst or the worst in Week one. So if maybe this is a good time to play the Rams because mcvay's owned this matchup Steve at least last year. They won this game by a combined forty points in the two matchup.
Speaker 4: But historically they have not played great defensively against Kyler Murray. He's had some really nice games against the Rams.
Speaker 3: The thing is.
Speaker 4: Marvin Harrison only three targets, I mean only one catch. They've got to figure something out. If they're gonna throw the ball and get it. Oh that guy James Connor, I mean that's one. Then they're gonna have to run the football without Kyler. I mean Connor's gonna have to get his hands on the ball a lot. I think this Rams defense showed itself some but then showed it some week. This is some, but it gets a very good Lions team. But I want to get back to the Rams offense. Matthew Stafford thrown the ball forty nine times last week. I mean the Lions have a good front, they don't have a great front. He can't be throwing the ball forty nine times a game and the Rams have a shot. So they've got to find a way.
Speaker 3: To run it.
Speaker 4: They didn't really try to run it. They kind of got back into that rut. They've got to try to establish a run against Arizona. Otherwise this clock game, James Connor, you just saw them. It could be very interesting.
Speaker 3: There's a style issue for the Arizona Cardinals, as they allowed the worst EPA in the league per dropback when their opponents used motion. And so here comes Sean McVay. Yeah, and again they're going to see them twice a year. But there is one like there's a quote alert out there that Kyler's being taken out of context because like the quote graphic that's being used is like, it's not my job to get Marvin Harrison the ball. But the way Kyler said it is, I'm going through progressions. I'm not out there to just get balls to Marvin Harrison, and he missed him late in the game. But ultimately that's not a fair quote to Kyler. It's kind of being taken out of context. I'm the Rams defensive line is the spot for me because that first start for Jared Verse, he had twenty six point one percent pressure rate the force highest by a rookie, and he's a monster of all time. And that's it. Like it's like, well, what are we gonna how are we going to replace? So they've got all that youth on the defensive line. Yeah, they lose one of the best football players we've all ever seen, but they get good that aspect. I can't say the same for like Cardinals defenders. Like now, the Cardinal defender, I'm hanging my hat on right now.
Speaker 2: That's like Buddha Baker.
Speaker 1: They're okay at linebacker Kaisier White, but you're right, they just they don't have the defensive line. So this might be a perfect manage the season. I think about the how long the season is, and the Rams have the forty nine ers next week, you're missing four offensive linemen this week. You get your left tackle back. Next week, Eric Jackson will be off his suspension. You might get haven steinback and so it's a manage the season type of game.
Speaker 2: Can you sneak out a road win in the division.
Speaker 1: You mentioned how good Verse has been and and like now you're playing a tough Arizona running game though, and that was how you lost last week.
Speaker 2: The Lions ran through you at the end.
Speaker 1: And the way Kyler was running last week, I mean, he has got that wiggle back. James Connor is awesome. They have a nice backup in Trey Benson, and they throw a lot at you. So to me, that's kind of the key matchup. Can they Can they stop the Cardinals running game and just just escape with the win? And you mentioned Harrison just to close on him. His max speed per next Sensetat's was like insanely low, which I.
Speaker 2: Don't know how much to put into that.
Speaker 1: That was just something I saw, but like, I don't know, maybe he wasn't going downfield, maybe he was thinking too much.
Speaker 2: He just he didn't have a great week.
Speaker 3: There were some covered shades which I think probably played into Kyler not necessarily getting back to him towards it, and again with him being open. Of course, the broadcast is showing him doing jumping dracks, but Kyler would have had the three sixty spin no scope like throw one kind of no look to get him to that in that point. And that's where like still frames can kind of be misleading. He was open, but it's not always that ea.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: I do my pick again to spread with Cynthia later in the week, but Rams as an underdog against the Cardinals is pretty tempty.
Speaker 3: That is, that's a real tempting play right there. You may not be alone in that one. Yeah, we do our game debut coming up here, shout out to that particular show. Let's go to our next game here, and that is a one and a half point home favorite Washington Commander's team. Another set of zero to one divisional foes in week two, the Giants visiting the Commanders. Jayde Daniels plays in front of his hometime home crowd for the first time. Steve the defense didn't do him a ton of favors of the first time out. Baker Mayfield had one of the best games of his career touchdowns. Can they do enough to get Jaden to win over Dimes and Crew? Yes they can because Dimes. I mean, look, I say this because my wife is Jamaicas. I'm not trying to offend He's dimes in Jamaican money, which translated to about negative one hundred in US currency. Look, I just think that this is this is a game with the commanders offensively. You know, you're not gonna have Jaden Danis run the ball sixteen times. You just cannot do that every week like last week. But they're gonna run the ball.
Speaker 4: And so if they can get it going against this defense, they're just gonna milk clock and milk clock. They will, hopefully if you're a defensive coordinator Joe Witt, be able to get Danny dimes in some long down and distances, He's gonna cough a couple up to you. I just the big story is gonna be like, this is only week two, but this is a bigger.
Speaker 3: Game for Daniel Jones.
Speaker 4: Yes, then we think he cannot come out and play like he did last week, that just will not. Then the coaching staff is going to sense their vulnerability and livelihoods and they will make a moveack quarterback change sometime soon. As much as we thought they're a ride with him for all seventeen for you know, everything they've done, they will get desperate because they will sense the vultures coming out and make a move.
Speaker 3: If he comes out and stinks it up like he did in Week.
Speaker 2: One, I'm with you.
Speaker 1: I think this could be Daniel Jones's last start as wow a Giant. Now he's playing the right opponent that their defense was lost last week. Commanders, it's not a talented team overall, and so there's certainly a real scenario Dariel Jones plays much better this week, the offense scores points. But if he looks like he did last week because he did not pass pass what I call like the NFL QB test, people say it's like, oh, if you protect him, he's solid.
Speaker 2: It's like, yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: But that's true of every NFLQB who has a long career, literally everyone. If you can deliver when protected, you'll have a long career. Maybe it's a starter, maybe it's a fringe starter, whatever it is. Last year, he actually last week, actually he was protected pretty well in that game, and there were ground balls, there were times where he held it forever, and he looked a little gun shy on short passes. He's always been a little gunshy on throwing the long ones. Now he was gun shy and everything. And I listened to this John Boy media show talking giants, and they had a great insight. So I want to give them credit. Where they were listening to the radio and they're saying the radio call with Bob Papa and all that those are team employees. They'd always been defending Daniel Joe in the past, and in this time they're kind of asking questions about Daniel just and usually the radio guys don't start saying that unless the people above maybe are saying that. And you do wonder organizationally, if they're ready to just be like, hey, you're giving us no choice.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe we'll ride with Drew Locke soon if this continues.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and if you're not safe in your own booths, like like where where are you safe? And he's not safe when the defense is playing zone, So the Vikings played zone eighty six percent of his dropbacks. In Week one, he was nineteen of thirty seven fo one hundred and fifty yards and two interw The only quarterbacks worse than that over the past couple of years were Zach Wilson and Bryce Young. In a particular game, it's it's not good for dimes only other side like I'm excited for Jane Daniels. I know that Todd Bowles defense got a whole lot of pressure on him. Right, he was one of five against pressure, but that doesn't account for all the times he ran away from the pressure right and he was able to get positive games. In his very first game, Brian Robinson Junior got tackled at the goal, one McCaffrey got tackled at the goal on if you're watching the video version of our show, and Jane Daniels finished those off and it made it look easy. And it's funny to see the juxtaposition of these two quarterbacks, one on his way in and the other. You guys said this might be the last shot.
Speaker 1: And now I hear everything you're saying on Jayden and Daniels, and he's an incredible runner. But our guys at next time Stas noted he had the sixth highest scramble rate in any game in the last three years of that game. And you're right. Sometimes it was the pressure. I think they coached them up. Maybe if it comes and you don't see your first read open, just go. But there were some times where he had pretty open receivers where their first read looked like it was there and he just wanted to run, and he got his helmet knocked off a couple of times, so you got to be careful there. And he's a fantastic runner, but he missed a couple throws and he missed seeing a couple, so they had a couple.
Speaker 2: They had plenty of design runs.
Speaker 1: But I think they would love it if he scrambled a little less.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 4: I mean, look, he's really and I'm just bit a real here. He plays for Cliff Kingsbury. He is going to be scrambling. You've heard me say hit Oh, ask Kyler Murray, as ask Caleb Williams.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: USC's offensive line hasn't looked nearly as terrible this year as did last year. Cliff Kingsbury has a lot of protections where he leaves his quarterback in situations you get rid of it quick or to pull it down and run it. And he's going to be facing Dexter Lawrence and Caveon, Thibodeau and guys.
Speaker 1: He needs to stand up. By the way, they were very quiet last week. Burns and cava On that in a tough matchup, this is the easier matchup.
Speaker 2: They need to get.
Speaker 4: Correct correct, much much better offensive line they played against last week.
Speaker 3: So yep, it's a crossroads for a couple of different teams and a couple of different aspects. They're looking forward to that one. In the NFC East, let us go to what would have been, guys, the Russell Wilson revenge game. The Denver Broncos playing host to the Pittsburgh Steelers, who were on the road a two and a half point favorite. Spirit Adidas out of Arceletta who had one of the calls of the week and our friend Adidie Kinkawalla on that call, Justin Fields announced as the starter. More Leeway, there was some opportunity last week where they had a package put in for Justin Fields. Turns out he's the starting quarterback. Now he's going up against bow Nicks in his second game, Greg more bow Knicks.
Speaker 2: Let's go.
Speaker 1: I took you know the Steelers that are a road dog last week, they're not dopes this week.
Speaker 2: They're going to make them the favorite.
Speaker 1: I think the Steelers' role because I think now let's just embrace Fields like life here. And they knew he was going to start last week. I believe during the week Russell Wilson, according to reports, isn't doing a ton of practice on Wednesday, so it's not even like they really have an option. He has a calf injury, and it will be interesting to see how much Arthur Smith embraces it, because there are strengths here with Justin Fields. Number one, I believe him to be one of the greatest running quarterbacks of all time in terms of his instincts as a runner, in terms not just his power but avoiding hits, making people miss like he is talented. He's not always the most act you're on the short stuff, but had some beautiful deeper throws last week to George Pickens. He can throw to the outside and he did that, and yeah, this is a fine matchup. I would say it's a neutral matchup to me against the Broncos defense that's average, and I think all you're gonna look for, Steve is if the Steelers offense can be average, they're happy because this is a defense first team, and maybe.
Speaker 3: They could score a touchdown.
Speaker 4: I mean, you're not gonna win week kicking sixth that helps, Yeah, but you talked about it. I thought Justin Fields to George Pickens, there is something there. There were some beautiful throws and some amazing catches. Yeah, some of them came on scrambles, real plays. That's how it's gonna be with the Steelers offensively in the passing game. So now is Denver gonna put Patrick Hirtan on George Pickens. Are we're gonna see this great you know, one on one match up with this incredible talent. I would, because I'm really not fearing too much of the other receiving game. But in watching a lot of that game, you were right, Fields was inaccurate with some of his throws.
Speaker 3: But I think as the.
Speaker 4: Game wore on, even though they weren't getting the ball the ends on, he was feeling something. There was something working there. The offensive line had some things working. The run game was popping.
Speaker 3: They did.
Speaker 2: He managed the game, made good decisions.
Speaker 4: I thought so too. They just didn't get into the end zone. And that's gonna be a problem. Remember, they're they're trying, They're they're on the road, right, it's games in Denver. They're they're gonna have to adjust. I just think this is going to be an intriguing game. Some big plays from the Steelers offense, and then if Sean and if I'm sorry, if Arthur Smith and tom can get it going, they'll run the ball in the second half.
Speaker 3: But I think was he some big plays early. One thing that I think Arthur Smith and Mike Tomain will both be okay with if because Patrick ris witham gave DK metcalf all kinds of problems. He's one of the best corners. If not, you can make a case he's the best up between him and Sauce. But they'll be perfectly fine with the Broncos defenders turning their backs and running away from Justin Fields. If you guys want to play man, I think they will be great. Great point, comfortable with a great point considering his prediction. As you mentioned, Greg one of the best to ever do it when he's out in space. Now, when we saw the Falcons Fields did take a couple of shots where they're running quarterback runs, designed quarterback run, and he's just powered it in he had with absolutely nobody in front of him. We don't want to see that, it's true, But considering what their defense did and how the Broncos really struggled in protection against the Seahawks in Week one, I'm looking at TJ Watt's potential to just, oh my gosh, TJ.
Speaker 2: Watt wants that Defensive Player of the Year. He wants it.
Speaker 1: He was insane and Seattle showed how to beat Denver. They were all over Bonnicks like they got a lot of pressure and they just dared him to throw.
Speaker 2: They just said, we dare you to go.
Speaker 1: We're gonna single you up, We're dare you to go more than ten yards. We think our guys can cover your guys. I think Pittsburgh can do that too, because I just I just think this defensive front can be special. I think it might be top three defensive front in the entire league. And Garrett Bowles was banged up in that game, unsure if he's playing, I guess what he does because he never missed his game, but he didn't play well last week because he was playing through an injury, and so that that's something to watch. And bo Nicks just he's not gonna have answers if he's under that sit.
Speaker 4: I will say this to Falcons of their blocking scheme, that was like what are they doing? Like did they realize who they're playing against?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it was absolutely crazy. You think Sean Payton would be a little wiser to that. So there's gonna be a lot of quick game stuff like there was. I mean, bon Nicks only threw a four hundred times for oh, you know, twenty two yards.
Speaker 1: There was a stat he threw it more than forty times and had less yards in the game than anyone was. It was like the top four in NFL history. I think it was Jesse Palmer. There was an old like Ben Roethlisberger in his last season in like a Rainstorm. I kind of remember that game too, And there was one. There was one other and that was it with with Bow last week.
Speaker 3: That was the meme game where it was it was fourth in me in like seven and Ben throws this flare out to Nase and the entire defense is standing within three yards of him. There's a shot of nause in half of the other team. He did eclipse in terms of yards per attempt one player last week, and that's Caleb Williams by one tenth of a yard. If Keenan Allen catches that ball in the gola and then then o Nicks would have But it was it was a rough and every one of their offensive lineman gave up multiple pressures as well. It was a rough Patrick. So both you guys.
Speaker 4: If Justin Fields comes out and plays even as well as even as adequately as he played in week one, maybe a little bit.
Speaker 3: Better, is he the guy? To me, there's no more conversations.
Speaker 1: No more as long as they that'll get them to two and zero on the road, as long as they have a winning record.
Speaker 2: Tomlin is not going back and both road games now.
Speaker 3: I ja.
Speaker 2: By the way, speaking of look good, I.
Speaker 3: Think look very good. He appeared liberated in author Smith's offense and the Steelers.
Speaker 4: Cordial Patterson's gonna take his touches up. Man, Arthur Smith can't help himself. You can't have too much cordial Patterson.
Speaker 3: In the Year of Our Lord twenty twenty four, Let's go to Douveall for our next game, that is the Cleveland Browns, a three point dog on the road at Jacksonville, where Trevor Lawrence had a cryptic it's time for change tweet this week with like multiple shots of his head.
Speaker 2: Oh, I didn't see it.
Speaker 3: I don't know if Trevor Lawrence is gonna cut his hair. That's that's kind of the leading things. But the Jags.
Speaker 2: Oh, I thought he was talking about the front office there.
Speaker 3: Oh no, just it's like Trent Trent's super saying because the Jags retweeted it. So the Cleveland Brown struggled on offense against Michael Parson and the Cowboys. Now here comes Joshua hans Allen and trey Von Walker, who played pretty well. Gris, Yes, what do you see taking play? Yeah? You know.
Speaker 1: Traywan Walker rewatching the game was outstanding in the running game. He also got a couple of sacks in that game. But he is becoming an elite run defender and that to me is huge because you're going up against a team that doesn't have much of a pass game until proven otherwise in Cleveland and wants to run the ball. They did a lot of creative stuff and people think Doug Peterson was making excuses that well except for three plays we had the Dolphins locked down. But watching that game, I kind of agree with them, like they did some creative things on defense. This is not the Dolphins they're playing against, and Doug Peterson and this Jaguar seemed desperately need to win because the way last season ended, and then to start this season, blowing a big lead like that.
Speaker 2: He was extremely testy.
Speaker 1: I would say, yeah, Monday's press conference, and this is just a team, really, two teams, but especially the Jaguars that desperately just need to get a win and to relax a little bit.
Speaker 4: You know, Look the Browns, we don't know either tackle is going to be back this week. So you talk about the pressure coming on DeShawn, they looked and I think the joke, who is nicked? Right, So what's gonna happen? Okay, a lot of Mari Cooper. They tried doing it last week. They just couldn't do it consistently. Now Dallas was giving them fits. Mike Zimmer came out and gave them a lot of different looks, gave them pressures with four There's just no flow to this offense. And again that's why week one will it be the ultimate non truth teller, As I say, comes to the Browns, We'll see, but I just you know they're all the talking from last year to Shaun Watson did not on schedule running of this offense. It's got to be better this week because I think Actonville is going to be a problem. I think their offense is gonna get going. We know they could points on the board, but I think defensively they could be a thorn for the Browns. And what did I say, I've said it on the show. No player is under greater pressure entering the season than Deshaun Watson, and with all the noise around him again this week, the pressure is only going up ten million more degrees.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, And that pressure should you know, honestly never go away considering the scope and the scale of the things that took place back in twenty twenty. But the actual pressure that the Jags will apply, considering what how Deshaun looked bouncing up and down in the pocket coming off roots, making bad throws to Amari Cooper. That actual tax trouble is going to be a little more of a problem. Football field was because James Hudson allowed eight pressures on fifty six pass blocking snaps in Week one where the Browns had all this trouble, and now he's going to deal with Joshua hans Allen who kind of got locked up by toront Armstead. But it's still going to be even more of an issue. And we also get a sneaky, a little bit of a sneaky coaching heat and oh wait, Jim Schwartz and Doug Peterson going back at it. Yeah, back and things were good, you know, they celebrated together, but also there were some concerns the end of the exit there in Philadelpia.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 3: I like that too.
Speaker 4: But but speaking of this, I mean, Cleveland defense is not going to make it easy on Trevor Lawrence either.
Speaker 3: Let's let's let's not overlook that.
Speaker 1: I felt good about Trevor's performance. There is more under center stuff. They had a good run game. Tank Bigsby uh popped in that game. There was a couple of drops by Kirk that would have really changed it. I think Brian Thomas Junior is fantastic. One that he had a stat the highest EPA per route of any rookie wide receiver in the last X amount of years, like he was. He just he passes the eye test. So I feel better about their offense. And yeah, you talk pressure, just to wrap up Watson and then we'll take a break. On Wednesday, Stefanski did confirm because they hadn't spoken up other than a brief statement that they're going to listen to the NFL about how the NFL handles this, They said they will start Deshaun Watson on Wednesday. That's not a question. And Deshaun Watson did meet with the media. He didn't really say much about the allegations, although he said that they were news to him, and that was counteracted by a long statement by the lawyer who represents the woman suing Deshaun Watson, saying that actually, this has been going on for ten months and they tried to reach a settlement separately, so because they knew all the media attention that would happen. And yes, the Deshaun Watson and his lawyer strongly denies those allegations, which are brutal to read. And yeah, the alleged victims attorney Tony Busby, put a lot of that out there today. So let's take a quick break and we will back with more games after this, back on NFL Daily. So excited about the Rosenthal ball. That's it, Seahawks Patriots. Yeah, back in the old round the NFL days, We're going to we drafted the games. This would have been my number one overall draft pick for the entire season, and I love that Kenny Albert and Jonathan Vilma are on it. I love Vilma's energy. To me, he is the perfect guy for this game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the perfect for the battle of the heart and soul of Greg Rosenthal. Because the Seahawks three and a half point favorites on the road at New England, where the Seahawks made the type of mistakes that the Bengals did against the Patriots, but Seattle managed to win. Now it's are they gonna do the same type of thing? They allowed two safeties in the first half against the Denver Bronx, just a calamity of errors, but they managed to find a way to win. And here comes New England where we're getting Christian Gonzalez back.
Speaker 2: He looks good.
Speaker 3: It's a solid it's a solid, solid opportunity. Can they get to Andino though.
Speaker 4: Steve, Well, okay, this is where I'm going to play the West Coast, the West Coast, early coast. Yeah, you can always get the two and oh but remember I said Week one is the great non truth teller. And yes, New England Pageots should be Kobe pid sky high for what they did to the Bengals. The anyone out to put it on them, I mean they out physicaled them. I think they out coached.
Speaker 3: Them, So.
Speaker 4: This I just but you know, Greg, the Seahawks are my that's my team. No one's talking about that. I'm very high on it. Okay, I know you love Gino. This is just one where I think their ground game, we saw Kenneth Walker, we saw them come out and they rushed for a bunch of yards I think one hundred and eighty plus yards last week.
Speaker 3: I think that continues this week.
Speaker 4: I think they'll be able to go there, control the clock, get things going against a Page's defense that is underrated. I don't think people are gonna sleep on it for too much longer. I think it's going to continue to play well. But I just think this week Seattle, with its ability to run, set up to play action the way Tyler Lockett looked last week, it's going to open up the field from the other guys. I just think Seattle's offense is to start getting going.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Look, if I had to pick the game, that three and a half sounds about right. I think the Seahawks are a favorite, but it wouldn't shock me if the Patriots won this game. Because of what you said about the defense, So what they have, I think most teams don't have is a great combination of continuity and experience, but not aged experience. If you look at kind of all the guys on their team, it's it's Dugger. It's some second year players like Gonzalez who was great last week.
Speaker 2: Now you may maybe travel them. I mean he traveled around last.
Speaker 1: Week with Chase and will he do it again with DK that that would be fascinating and Keon White. So some young players, but other guys who've just been in the system, not superstars, but Anthony Jennings in the prime of his career, Joan Bentley in the prime of his career, Jilani Tavai has played great ball for them, Kyle Dugger in the prime of his career.
Speaker 2: So okay, it's not a new system either.
Speaker 1: Gerard Mayo was running this defense already and so Marcus Joes.
Speaker 2: They just play well together. Jabrill Peppers.
Speaker 1: There's a cohesion and an aggression that takes me back to like that two thousand in one days that that's their recipe if they're not going to turn into a Super Bowl champion. But what they'll try to do and we'll see if they can, is just not be sloppy, not beat themselves on offense and see if the other team can make enough mistakes to scrape out.
Speaker 2: A bunch of wins.
Speaker 1: Because Bill Belichick's teams, he doesn't like to talk about it.
Speaker 2: Last few years, they were making all sorts of mistakes.
Speaker 1: They were terrible on special teams, a ton of penalties like mental errors.
Speaker 2: You didn't see that in week one.
Speaker 1: So that's that's the promise, because we know the offense isn't going to be explosive.
Speaker 3: And that's the difference right between the early era Belichick teams and the late era teams where things got late and it kind of started to feel like, all, well, Bill will figure it out. We don't necessarily need this mid vet guy. He can go somewhere else and make his money. And then incomes rookies and things are disjoined. Matt Patricia's leaving, coming back to Josh ll Daniels, leaven coming back. It's all but now there's actual real continuity among the unit. On the secondary, it was twenty twenty eight routes for Gonzales lined up against Jamark It's fun wow. Three catches for fifteen yards against Jamar's and again Jamar's missed up. But it's still Jamar Chase. I don't think he forgot how to get opens.
Speaker 2: It was a great it's exciting.
Speaker 4: But if he travels this week, does he travel DK or do they or did he float him?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: Because he can travel DK part of the time, he can travel with Jack Smith and jigg with some times.
Speaker 3: There's ways to do that. And you talk about the continuity doing this, but let's also keep.
Speaker 4: It real because you over the over runner here is thirty seven point five, Greg, You make.
Speaker 2: That out perfect?
Speaker 3: Yeah, making how the over runners should be six?
Speaker 4: Right, you're you know, you talk about the safetiest You're talking about a three to two ball game with the way you're you know, you're really excited about this value.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm just saying they can be like a top eight defense. Ultimately, it's an offensive league. But the Seahawks offensive line certainly struggled early in that game, and they figured it out and they were awesome in the second half. The offense was it is tough to cover up these three receivers. Kenneth Walker is awesome. I do think that's why they probably lose because unlike the Seahawks, like the Seahawks have both sides of the ball.
Speaker 2: You have to be pretty well to say we haven't talked about their d.
Speaker 1: Right, you could be pretty excited about their new They talked about how they were going to play, and they were great tackling, flying around.
Speaker 2: They look disciplined.
Speaker 1: So all the good things I said about the Patriots, the Seahawks have that on defense more or less two and they have a lot more explosive playmakers and everyone, like even Drod Maya was like, you guys overreacted about the offensive line. I said, it was gonna be fine. I they gave up the second most amount of pressures in terms of dropbacks in the NFL last year. Jacobe Prisett and the offense barely moved the ball through the air. And as much as I'd like to give credit to the offensive right Ramandy Stevenson broke like twelve tackles, it was more just that he it.
Speaker 2: Was awesome in that game. It's gonna be tough to do everything well.
Speaker 3: When they added an offensive lineman, when they had six offensive linemen, they averaged four yards to play and they scored their only touchdown of the game. So that's it. That's how you get that three to two games deep.
Speaker 2: Six offensive lineman. Yeah.
Speaker 1: They it seemed like they were doing that like every other play, which is that's.
Speaker 3: All smart coaching. That's smart coaching. All right, we'll leave that game and get to the Indianapolis Colts on the road. A three and a half point favorite for the Green Bay Packers, who were loveless for now we think, and that's a big factor. The over under seid at forty and a half points. Josh Jacobs had his best game last week in terms of yards over expectation since he led the league in rushing back in twenty twenty two. And now he's going up against the Colts team that gave a career day to Joe Mixon and the opener Gregor he and Malik Willis enough.
Speaker 2: I think they have a chance.
Speaker 1: I think that Matt Lafleur has a chance here to really flex his coaching muscles because you think about what they did well last week. They ran the ball great, the two plus twenty run, twenty yard plus runs like he had three all of last year. Can you build a running game around Jacobs? Emmanuel Wilson look good as a backup, and Malik Willis as a part of the run game. I think it would be a fun challenge for Lafleur to do. And then you look at this Colts defense. They really struggled against the run last week. The Texans really ran them over. So this is it's a different Packers setup. Normally you would say like they have great receiver depth in the they just lost Juju Brents and they don't have many good cornerbacks.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you can really take advantage of this game.
Speaker 1: This is one where you see if you can have the luck the Texans did on the ground against them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean that they're gonna have to because Gus Bradley's gonna be giving Malik Willis all kind of different looks, even if he only ends up rushing for and things like that. They're gonna see a lot of different stuff they didn't see against the Eagles. I'm with you, though, I thought the Packers' offensive line played fairly well in this game.
Speaker 3: I thought they protected fairly well. I thought they ran blocked fairly well.
Speaker 4: The game circumstance was just odd with those guys being in Brazil, and I like the fact that Matt Lafleur came out and I was expecting to get a pass rush from our defense. I was expecting a lot more from certain things of our offense.
Speaker 3: So he was dis paid clearly.
Speaker 4: After the game, especially with the way things went on defense.
Speaker 3: This is but even with some of the pressures.
Speaker 4: That they generated in that game against the Eagles, Anthony Richardson's a different monster.
Speaker 3: And we saw that last year.
Speaker 4: He wasn't great passing, but the way he ran the ball because they didn't have a run game otherwise, This to me, when I look at this has got the intrigue bubble okay like no other game, just because there's still a ton of unknowns about both teams. You know, the Malik Willis one being the most but still the Colts, what exactly are they that might that might still take a minute to figure out.
Speaker 3: And I think the thing that we know and the most unique thing about Anthony Richardson because we comp right, people make the cam comp and I think the cam comp is actually Josh Allen. But the way that because we see Anthony Richardson run over Jalen Petrie in the end zone, but it's always the first defender to me, the guy that comes up out of the secondary that Anthony Richardson generally just disregards oh yeah, you're he never affects that first movement from Anthony Richardson. He's able to get around that guy almost every single time. I haven't seen anybody get him out on the edge. And when I and I think about the problems that Jalen Hurts created on the wet field in Brazil against this team, it's it's tough for me to see because I know that they've had a lot of Jeff Afley's done a lot of changes. Xavier McKinney's a great pickup, but just to stop Anthony Richardson consistently enough. When Malik Willis has never had a player have over fifty receiving yards in a game, and that he started, it's just tough for me to imagine a circumstance where, you know, all credit to Matt Lafleur that he's able to scheme something up that's going to overcome. Right.
Speaker 1: I mentioned managing the season. Now that the Packers really managing this very tough spot. Man, if they can just scrape, they can get one of these two next games. They have the Colts this week, you know, in Green Bay, and then they're at Tennessee next week. Just getting finding one win somewhere here would be so big. But I'm with you, I would take the Colts. The Colts front is no joke. They can get after it when they do pass the ball, and the Packers defense was disappointing that that is kind of why I don't lean on a potential.
Speaker 3: Upset here and all the things that we're saying about Brian Thomas Jr. If if Richardson's able to hit Ady Mitchell on a couple of those balls, we're saying all those Thames about ad Mitchell, and I think they may connect in this one plenty opportunity. Looking forward to that game, maybe Malik Willis comes out and shocks the world, and I'd be on the happiest part.
Speaker 4: They gotta do it early on the fifteenth places that they're statuscripted get him early.
Speaker 3: From there, we go to the New York Jets visiting the Tennessee Titans, who are a three and a half point dog at home against Aaron Rodgers and the Jets will Levis vowing to play better after a turnover laid in the second a half, do them the Titans and the opener of their defense limited Kayleb Williams and the Bears to under one hundred and fifty yards were very impressive. Can we'll let us keep away from those mistakes against the Jets defense.
Speaker 4: We'll see, because I thought the Jets defense was a major problem.
Speaker 3: You know, in the game against the Niners.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the Niners this and that, but when you got Jordan Mason coming out and gashing you like he's Walter Payton, right, they were poor against the run.
Speaker 3: Rock Purty to me, was rarely under pressure.
Speaker 4: I think, you know, the look, the Jets are going to be better, but coming off the short week, I'm just not sure defensively if they're going to be great. Yet this is an opportunity to get get to get better. I just something just did not look right with the way they played defense.
Speaker 1: Especially No I mean they were.
Speaker 4: Going up, they were going up to the NFC champ, but I mean their defensive front they got mopped up. When you looked at every time they had a nice run, used check, had someone locked up Kittle, had someone locked up their interior guys, they had Velcrow on their jerseys. And so again, I'm sure they're going to be hearing about pad level and and everything when it comes to this game because this should be a get right game for them. But you know, Bill Callahan, that offensive line coach for Tennessee, knows some things. So again, I'm not sitting here saying that the Titans are going to go up and down the field on them, but I think there's an opportunity for Tennessee's offense to do some things correct.
Speaker 1: Interesting, Brian Callahan was not as optimistic as you talking about his offense after the game.
Speaker 5: I just we were playing so good on defense that it's almost as if, I mean, if we just punted it on first and ten every time, we might have won the game.
Speaker 3: The way of the way that you know, we gave it away.
Speaker 4: So he's not that's so awesome.
Speaker 2: That's that's the man that's not happy with this quarter.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing though, you mentioned Calahead. Actually I did see the total difference. This was his dad, right, Yeah, his dad innocent. I don't give both the lot credit. Uh, the run game looks reborn. I mean, Tony Pollard had a great week last week. They were top ten in the league in terms of efficiency on the ground. This was not a consistent running team last year, even with Derrick Henry. So I saw them kind of look like a like a Callahan type of running game. You have Taji Spears as the backup Pollard, but Pollard really looked like he had a little more juice this year. And that's cohesive and it's against that bad rush defense. The problem is, yeah, you need will Lews to help you do something. I think that was probably the worst game of his career because not just the bad decisions, but even when he hit a couple of plays, he just was like really late. Maybe it was the t you know, he was a Tennessee thing, and I'm remembering Jay Clor even when Jay Cutler was good, like he would really have to see it and for it to really be open for him to just rip the ball.
Speaker 2: And that was Will Levis last week.
Speaker 1: He just did not feel like he was comfortable with what he saw. DeAndre Hopkins only played seventeen snaps. Supposedly he's practicing a little more. There was a miscommunication with Calvin Ridley at the end of the game and he blew a block. Jaguars fans are like, oh, yeah, that's a little familiar. So I always worry about a team that doesn't have much of a passing game yet and backing their chances to win.
Speaker 3: I think it's a style thing and he's gonna have to figure out how to marry his yolow deep shots stock because I think over half of his career touchdowns have come on bombs, and he got one. He got away with one on that late pass to Chigokonkwo where Conkwo goes up and gets the ball away from the defender. If not for that, Will Levis has an even worse game than the way things turned out, and so it's he was one of four on deep passing attempts against the Bears. One thing that I did have an eye on for Tennessee was Jeffrey Simmons had no pressures. Now, there was that shot of four Chicago Bears on Jeffery Simmony, but he hasn't had a game like that since twenty two. We want to see ninety eight gig going.
Speaker 1: It may have found something though with Tvandre Sweat, who was a divisive guy because of some off the field issues in the draft and people just didn't think he was that great of.
Speaker 2: A player because there was weight issues.
Speaker 1: He looked like a problem, like he looked really good last week. And then you know Lagerius, Steed and CHADOBEI huse who didn't practice. I was banging this drum all camp. They go out there and they look good and their defense played great. So yeah, this is a little it's a worrisome game for the jet.
Speaker 4: And to get to the Jeffrey Simmons saying, when you watch that Niners game, their interior players were resetting the line of scrimmage over and over. Even one time towards the end of the game with the Jets tried to run on a short down and distance, they had tight end.
Speaker 3: A full back leading behind a tackle and they got stacked.
Speaker 2: They couldn't run at all.
Speaker 3: It could not run the ball.
Speaker 4: So this is this is something even with this revamped offensive line didn't look very physical or didn't look very intimidating.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at that three and a half for the Titans for later the week.
Speaker 3: He's got the Jets on fraud. Watch Jets on.
Speaker 4: Early early again a week one the great non truth teller. But they're gonna hear a lot. It's gonna be a tough film week for them.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a big game. They can't go to no otherwise.
Speaker 3: I haven't even played in met Life, the only team of the division to lose. You guys know, things are more important in the New York metropolitan so things may be very, very different if the Jets don't. It's the value is there? All right, guys, It's time for the Game of the Week presented by Draft Games. Let's get into the rivalry game. It's it's always gonna be rough. It's the Cincinnati Bengals at the Kansas City Chiefs, who are a five point favorite at home. Greg, I have to think that has a lot to do with the fact that the Bengals who lose in Week one, Oh yeah, Patriot, the Patriots under Zach Taylor lost to your pay. Should they be concerned, Greg, going up against a team that is giving them so much trouble and a quarterback in a wide receiver who've done the same. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, they called it Burrowhead for a little bit. They don't. They don't call it now. Maybe this is what Joe Burrow needs.
Speaker 1: I spoke about it with Jordan Rodriege and Colleen, like, maybe he needs a game, to a big game to make him feel alive, to get him out of these early season dul drums.
Speaker 2: He's always in.
Speaker 1: You know, they showed him kind of flexing the wrist that that is worrisome. I don't know if that's affecting his play. It's too hard to guess. But the reason why I'm concerned is actually not the Bengals offense, which I even if t Higgins doesn't come back, that's uncertain. I just I have too much faith in Burrow that they get it going. It's the matchup on the other side of the ball. The guys are so open last week for the Chiefs, they have extra rest coming into this game. They have all this Rashi Rice on these free releases, and now he's running slants. They're expanding kind of what he does. He's they're an empty They were really dictating against a really good Ravens defense the matchups that they wanted. And I was thinking, like, how how is Patrick Mahomes the better when he's not as flashy, And to me, maybe it's because of just the pocket movement. He's always been good, but now it's like you mentioned before, how Richardson disregards the first guy. Mahomes is like that with every guy, except he's still throwing in the pocket. And it's just incredible and he'll need that because he's going up against Hendrickson in this group.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was at that opener and it was such an exhibition of great coaching by Andy Reid. He saw that the Ravens are leaving open the middle of the field. He was matching up linebackers on his wide receivers. I mean, you saw Roe Kwan Smith chasing Rashid Rice. I mean, they did some incredible things. I don't think lou Ana Roumo is gonna put his linebackers asking them to do as much, but again, they were really put in tremendous conflict by Andy Reid.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna flip it back though. I mean, I know Joe.
Speaker 4: Burrow used to be Burrowhead, but this Chief defense is a different monster in the last two years. And what you saw that game down the opener, it came down to Lamar Jackson just being superman against the defense that had everything else blocked up until and Patrick.
Speaker 3: We were talking about it.
Speaker 4: The back half of the fourth quarter, when the Ravens went up tempo and they went no huddle, that's when they started moving the ball on the Chief. That's when they started being on schedule. Maybe we'll see some of that early on the game for Cincinnati, to try to prevent some of the substitutions for the Chiefs and to allow them to get into a type of a rhythm, because that's one thing that Chiefs defense in the opener did not let the Ravens do.
Speaker 3: Until a get in the back half of the fourth quarter and Lamar gets time, He's able to get those balls to Isaiah, likely because they're they're staying on the field, they're in the hurry up. Lamar has been running all game. Yes, Chris Jones was wiped out. Ye, he was absolutely zeroed out, and that provided the assistance. The Bengals an't gonna have Joe Burrow running like that. I don't think it's smart for Joe to be aggressive like that. He can be, but it's it's really just is can they rely on Joe and Jamar to make those types of plays? Was that all Christian Gonzales was that a little bit of hangover from off season stuff with Jamar Chase have to be explosive against Case and they just could do nothing right. And again, if Tanner Hudson doesn't get the ball knocked away from Kyle Duggart, right, if there's no fumble, right, we're looking we might be looking at this game a whole lot differently.
Speaker 2: But man, it's a big spot. It's a big spot.
Speaker 3: Five is a big number.
Speaker 2: Two though it was six.
Speaker 1: So so the public agrees with you and it brought it back. It's a big game, though you don't. I know they've done it before and they've rallied, but it's just tough start in your season. Oh win two, So it's a it's a big game for them. It's also a big game for Tony Romo. I mentioned how I thought he was kind of ducking the competition last week with Tom Brady was on a four h five game, and so this is back at his big spot. Patrick with that, with the world watching the four to twenty five, this is the big game. This is his game. Really, He's probably called it many times before. He needs to have a big gear.
Speaker 3: And I think the winner here is the people, right, Yes, because Tony came out, he was he was explosive, he was prepared, he was excited, and maybe maybe we locked a little bit of that. And so now that Tom is dominating the discussion, whether you know again Tom's calling his first game like Jill a little bit, and people were thinking Scott Hansen was being critical of Tom. Like no, Scott was just excited, like I was to see a seventy one yard field goal, and he wanted Tom to be as excited as everyone else was. They wasn't saying Tom's bad. I think Tom being in the broadcast booth in general. I don't know if if Tony's ducking folks, okay, but I do know that that it helps with the idea that like, hey, you know people people want to hear Tom Brady and Tony rom was going to come out and say this is this is why I'm here. I like this. He's gonna up his game.
Speaker 1: I mean he he's heard, he's heard the criticism out there. Hopefully the Bengals run defense has too. That's been the big concerned in Cincinnati this week that they were a bad run events last year. Then you lose DJ Reader and they got steam rolled last week. So they will be challenged by the Chiefs and their big front in Isaiah Pacheco. Let's take a quick break. Yeah, that's the only way we can do it. After that kind of game, download the DraftKings Sportsbook app now and use the code daily. New customers can bet just five bucks to get two hundred and fifty instantly in bonus bets only on Draftking sports Book with a Code daily.
Speaker 2: The crown is yours in a city divided by so many factions.
Speaker 1: Kendrick Lamar proof that one man night, Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: But what if it was two.
Speaker 5: Pop out to sofar stadium all season long to catch Jim Harbaugh. He'll bring extra Khakis, extra blockers, and a return to simpler times with good kids in this mad city when the forward passed was backwards, thinking to.
Speaker 2: Leave your swimming pools on Sundays and drank with us. Oh, and we have some decent players too. Pay four by the who's got the hot shot coach?
Speaker 1: Now, how rams actual.
Speaker 4: Chargers We're not like aggressive, We're like we're not like Greg Patrick.
Speaker 3: No, that's the goal is to try to get like Greg. But sometimes you know.
Speaker 2: Chargers, you know, coming after him, they're China.
Speaker 1: It's it's like when the Clippers put up those billboards you know about the Lakers a few years back. It's the Chargers taken over, and you know they have good players too.
Speaker 3: And here's the thing. The Chargers are six and a half point favorites two thousand and one hundred and twenty miles away from Los Angeles International Airport on the road to take on Bryce Young, Dave Canalis and the Carolina Panthers, who were run all over, all over by Alba Kamara and the Saints in Week one. Incomes JK. Dobbins, greg who had thirteen yards of carry, which what is crazy? What are they gonna do against the Panthers.
Speaker 1: They'll probably do whatever they want because the Panthers had one of the worst defensive lines in the league when they had an All Pro and Derek Brown, and now they don't have an All Pro. And look, there was a lot of interior pressure actually on Justin Herbert last week. The Raiders were getting after him early. But that's the thing about Harby, you heard it. He not a big fan of the Ford pat They stayed consistent with the run. It really wasn't working all day. You just wait and wait and waiting. It finally popped and they might not have to wait as long this week for it to POPSI.
Speaker 4: There's nothing like seeing a team as a six and a half point favorite with an over underline of thirty.
Speaker 3: Eight and a half.
Speaker 4: Oh, that's I mean, that means you're not thinking the other team's gonna score very much, that being the Carolina Panthers. Look, I spoke to somebody in league circles. I'll put it to you that way. Who saw the game with the Panthers and the Saints. It said, Carolina Panthers are just not a good football team. Just look again, it's week one. They could have been totally discombobulated, but they did not come down ready to play in week one, playing against a team that is not going to beat itself. I mean, the Chargers are going to be fundamentally sound. You know what they are, you know their identity. They are going to pound the ball, they're going to run the ball, and they're going to choke you out defensively.
Speaker 3: Maybe nothing spectacular, but if Bryce.
Speaker 4: Young and the way that the Carolina Panthers came out and tried to do whatever they didn't functionally do against the Saints, this is gonna get bad. Like they're at home, they have got to find some semblance of a running game to take the pressure off of Bryce.
Speaker 3: But he just looked bad. I mean, look at that throw. Right there.
Speaker 4: And you know, another person said to me, some of the things that concerned you about why he shouldn't have been the top pick have surfaced a little too often, and again we might not be giving him a fair shake. Right, we gave Trevor Lawrence a pass on year one. But they're like, these things are flaring up, some of the things they're saying so against again, a highly physical, disciplined Chargers team, they better really reverse as we reverse on what happened week one if they want to cover that six and a half.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Bryce, of course, being the quarterback and the number one overall pick, they gave up so much to get oh first places a whole lot. But we need some other Panthers to be good too, Like Ikey Aquanu got absolutely worn out by Chase Young had a career game. It was one of the worst games Aquanu gave, giving up six pressures and so like I think that there's hope, there's some hope for Carolina. You could take solace in this, right because Rashisha he catches that fifty five plus yard bomb on the on one of the first possessions of the game for New Orleans. Justin Herbert had his fewest completions of over ten air yards second fewested his entire career.
Speaker 2: So the harball look like they're playing in a phone with two Yeah.
Speaker 3: The hardball. Chargers aren't gonna throw up and down Bank of America Stadium with big shots. So they don't have they don't have anyone to do it. Maybe like they're at least style wise, they can take a few body shots and maybe have a chance to shock the world. Maybe shock me at least because it's it's bad.
Speaker 1: Right now, and wow, shock the world against the Chargers too, like, and I love I love the idea that the Chargers could get to to and oh and get get at a little bit of heat coming.
Speaker 2: Into I think they have the chiefs coming into the building.
Speaker 3: It'll be great. That's gonna be. That's gonna be damn next week.
Speaker 1: But one thing if you're a Panthers fan that has to concern you is there was so much unblocked pressure last week against Bryce Young. And so I don't know if that's the coaching which we saw with Philadelphia last year. I think it was more about the coaching than it necessarily was the quarterback.
Speaker 2: And Bryce Young has some freedom.
Speaker 1: Dave Canaw has talked about this week to change things up at the line of scrimmage if we see in something. But once that's on tape, you can believe that Jesse Minterer that coordinated for the Chargers and Jim Harbaugh they saw that too, and so they're gonna have to have some answers. And I just don't know if this offense is makes sense. We got to see it. Does Bryce Young make sense in this style of kind of McVeigh, you know, adjacent type of offense.
Speaker 3: Well, look, I mean shorter quarterbacks.
Speaker 4: There are other quarterbacks here, Russell Wilson, Gino Smith, Baker Mayfield made sense in this game that Dave Kannalis coach.
Speaker 3: But again it goes down to the protection. You talk about ikey Iguanage.
Speaker 2: But those guys were all throwing it deep.
Speaker 1: When I think of like, what was their strength, and maybe Bryce Young can do that, but I think of him more as maybe get the ball out quickly and point guard type.
Speaker 4: Well he's gonna have to because Patrick talked about Ikey Iguana Getty steam rolled last week. The Chargers are coming to town with Khalil mac Joey Boson, tu La Tuiya Polo two.
Speaker 3: Those dudes get after it now.
Speaker 4: So it's gonna have to be a quick passing game unless it's just a twenty step drop for Bryce shung to.
Speaker 3: You have to buy time and launch it. Yeah, and there's there's plenty that the Panthers have put on film for people to see. In that film everybody has access to. We know what Harball and company can do when they have film that only they have access to. Oh, it's gonna be something. It's the Carolina Panthers. From there, we go to another revenge game after being discarded by the San Francisco for I'm just kidding. Sam Darnold coming back to take on the place that kind of reborn. It gave him another opportunity. He's back and starting now after the injury. The Minnesota Vikings are a six point underdog at home. Wow, that's a huge number. Man Rock and Trenton Company. After Greg they blitzed the Giants in MetLife on a day where they're celebrating the franchise and everybody left two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know who else they blitzed last year on Monday Night football kind of Brian Flores his big coming out party as a defensive quarter the San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Forty nine ers.
Speaker 1: Brock Perty has never looked worse than he did in that game. Now, knowing Flora's not personally, but just knowing his get down, my guess is he'll flip the script this year and he doesn't need to blitz quite as much because they have better pass rushers overall, or they feel like they're they're deeper. Obviously you lose Denel Hunter, you don't get better, but they have more players there. Dallas Turner had a sack last week. Van ginkels out there doing all sorts of things. Brian Flores loves him, and you have Jonathan Grenard. You got the safeties, so he won't do the same plan as last time. But you better believe that Kyle Shanahan is a little more prepared for what's coming at him. It sounds like, though, according to our guy Ian rapport, that CMC will probably not play I think so in this game. Jordan Addison also ify he missed practiced on Wednesday.
Speaker 4: Yeah, remember Ryan Flores came out blitzing like that. That's the game when the Niners didn't have Debo or Trent Williams either. Both of those guys will be playing huge roles in this game. But that's still that's a huge number. I mean, San Francisco's coming off a game that they were really pumped up for. Jordan Mason running back is Mason.
Speaker 2: It's Jordan Mason. Baby.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I just want to make sure Georgia, Texa like that.
Speaker 2: He's not in my starting fantasy lineup this week.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 1: I drafted Jordan Mason. I saw anybody, No, I just took him. I just took him. Wow.
Speaker 4: But I mean, look at the blocking we're watching video right here. There is nothing but red just annihilating guys and white jerts. It's not going to be like that against the Vikings. I mean, the Vikings and Flora will scheme things up. I don't think Sam Frantis who is gonna be able to run the ball a little bit more. The Vikings are a tougher team. It's not that they just mopped up on the Giants. They are going to be a better team than people expect. I think this is gonna be a really challenging game. Remember the forty nine went up there and they coughed the ball up a couple times last year.
Speaker 3: That's gonna be a point of emphasis.
Speaker 4: But I think this is gonna be a highly contested game and that's why I'm looking at that number at six.
Speaker 2: And a half.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would like six.
Speaker 4: Like wow, that's a big number, you know, for the game being in Minnesota as well.
Speaker 2: For a team that's really talented. I think that gets lost.
Speaker 1: So I just mentioned a lot of like kind of the periphery defensive players. But you have maybe the best tackle combination in football, well one Cristin Darisaw and O'Neill.
Speaker 2: And maybe they canmit again.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's no great matchup against Nick Bosa, but maybe they can do a good job. They're like they have legit players. Aaron Jones last week, I mean I would say it's the Fountain youth. But he looked great at the end of last year too. He looked like Aaron Jones.
Speaker 3: Yeah, six point seven yards per carry against the Giants. This this is the Giants defense, uh with Fred and company who gave Breese and the Jets all kinds. But again, as the Jets, it's week one. Perhaps the Jets are on fraud watch it and we don't necessarily know, but they they look Darrisaul was spectacular. Yes, great to see Aaron Jones still doing it and his kind of I can't wait for for his like actual revenge game. I hope Jordan Love is back for that one. But it's six points. I understand it. It makes sense to me. I may have them them covering that just really based on everybody being back. A gets Yeah, he'll be better. Yeah, I think he catches that touchdown nine times out of ten, and it's it's tough. It's a tough spot for the Vikings. But show me Sam, show me.
Speaker 2: That for test.
Speaker 1: You know, he was very good last week when they did blitz Sam Darnold. I have a theory that he's almost better when he doesn't have time to think. It's like you blitz him and he's like, I just got to get.
Speaker 2: Rid of the ball.
Speaker 1: When he holds the ball in his career included even last week, the numbers aren't as good then just things get muddy and confused.
Speaker 2: But so maybe don't blitz him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean paralysis by over analysis Joey Harrington syndrome. You got too much time, you're gonna overthink about all the possibilities. Get it out, especially to a guy we haven't mentioned justin Jefferson, You'll be able to do some things against this defense, which is a.
Speaker 3: Weird juxtaposition with him and Brock. They were on the same team, because when Brock gets on the outside and things get a little squirrely, he knows exactly what to do, and he's so calm, so operating about it. He'll throw a spin move in there. It's fun, it's always, but almost as fun as a chance to see the number one overall pick Caleb Williams on Sunday Night Football, a six point dog to the Houston Texans, who were spectacular with their new additions. Joe Mixon goes off, as well as two touchdowns for Stefan Diggs. Greg Is there a world in which Caleb and the Bears defense can overcome this monster of the Houston Texas.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, there's a world. I'm not living in that world.
Speaker 1: Like you know, it's a six point spread that feels about right to me, Like I feel comfortable the Texans win this game. I would, I would, I would feel good about that. And yet this is a perfect Sunday Night game. I gotta give a shout out to is it Mike North in the scheduling department. Yes, they came out with the primetime games in Week one and they say like fire show. It's like a concert that starts with all your biggest songs. Okay, now we're sliding into Week two. I'm not going to say they're like deep album cuts, but very nice. Thursday night matchup with Miami Buffalo and in this to be is a perfect Week two Sunday night. Let's get Caleb Williams in early. He has some answers, some questions to answer.
Speaker 2: You have CJ.
Speaker 1: Stroud, our next big star, the number two pick last year.
Speaker 2: It's absolutely perfect.
Speaker 1: And yet I think the biggest single mismatch in this entire game, at least if Week one wasn't a liar, is the Houston Texans running game. They went from worse to first, worse than the league DVOA last year to best in the league in Week one, and that is the way you always want to attack a Matt Eberflu's defense.
Speaker 2: They are built to stop the pass.
Speaker 1: They are fantastic stopping the past, and their pass rush was good last week too, but they weren't as good against the run. They're traditionally not as good against the run. So is this Joe Mixon rushing attack a lot of times into light boxes because you have all these great receivers.
Speaker 2: Is that for real?
Speaker 1: Because if it is, this is gonna be a top three offense in the NFL.
Speaker 4: So Houston goes out and gets Joe Mixon because he's familiar with the zone runs game. Damian Pierce was not. That was something that he's gotten better, right. But mixing comes in and you see it operate functionally and what Bobby Schlook likes to do offensively.
Speaker 3: That's gonna set up so much more.
Speaker 4: And we know the Texas, They've got receivers for days, they've got tight ends for days, and they've got a strong offensive line.
Speaker 3: I'm just looking a let's go.
Speaker 4: Back to Caleb Williams, who, by the way, still is not on Quarterback Island.
Speaker 1: Greg, Oh, that was a good call, you guys, at least after one week relaxed. I was trying to put him onto the island. If you missed it, we will be bringing back quarterback Island. It is a special place where only ten quarterbacks twelve quarterbacks can live. And I thought, Caleb, you should just start him there since he's going to be there his whole career, but maybe I was wrong about that. Well, we'll revisit in a couple of weeks on a Tuesday.
Speaker 4: But his comp his comp was CJ Stroud, I mean, and the Bears, Brian Pace.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, Ryan Poles, not Ryan Pace. Ryan Poles general manager.
Speaker 4: You know at the Hall of Fame game, he told me and Brian Baldinger, we're not running from that comp We think the fact that c J. Stroud came out and lit it up like that as a rookie is something that Caleb Williams can do. They've put him in position to do it now. He said, Caleb has to run his own race, but they think he's talented enough to do the great things that c J. Stroud did. Don't think a competitor like c J Stroud has not heard that. Also, yeah'll spice.
Speaker 2: It off and CJ.
Speaker 1: To be fair, his first couple games were not crazy. Now, he didn't have like a ninety three yard game, but he did have one game where he really struggled. That was about it. But even but they were more conservative early. I don't think it was about being conservative with the Bears last week, they just you know, he missed it.
Speaker 2: It was a combination.
Speaker 1: I think he made more good plays in that game than I expected when I went to rewatch it. But he struggled when he was under pressure, and he didn't create kind of like he expected. There was like one or two plays, but when he tried to go into create mode, it didn't work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we saw the preseason magic. Of course, the spin throw to Romo Dunze. We saw that a million times out of the preseason, but like it wasn't just when there was no pressure. When the time to throw was over two and a half seconds, he was three or thirteen mm through the air. And and some of those there's the keenan Allen drop, right, there's the one he missed, Keen Nollen. You can pick and choose there. But where Caleb succeeded was he didn't on the other side like Will Levis's of whirling urbans throwing the ball to the other team and fumbles and all this other stuff. But Caleb had that nice third and ten run that set up a Cairo Santos field goal, the cut into that lead to give that defensive play a chance to tie the ball game up, and ultimately, like no turnovers, he took the ball, No, he's not. You know CJ. Stroud or in that early game last year against Anthony Richardson where he throws for three hundred and eighty something yards and it's like world beating.
Speaker 1: Maybe this week Sunday Night football. He's a big time player.
Speaker 3: Got a chance? Why not? Why not?
Speaker 2: I love that would be fun. I own that said.
Speaker 1: I almost took this as my Survivor pick Texans over the Bears.
Speaker 3: Thought about it. So, speaking of the state of Texas, the Dallas Cowboys, we're going to be at home in our next game where they play host to Derek Carr and the New Orleans Saints, who took the foot off the gas and still scored forty seven points. Again the Carolina Panthers. Dallas is a six and a half. That's a point favorite over this New Orleans Saints team. Greg where Alva Kamara looked great. Talis Uaga was incredible against the Carolina Panthers. It's the Panthers caveat we get to find out what's real and what's not here because the Cowboys are kind of this litmus test type team where you could tell if you're really.
Speaker 2: Over or not right.
Speaker 1: I think it's the ultimate sort of Week two reality check or test that you actually might have it for the Saints offensive line, specifically more than any other group in this game. The Saints offensive line coming into the season looked like such a problem it might hold the whole team back.
Speaker 2: They had a great Week one.
Speaker 1: Now they were playing the Panthers who have no one really upfront, but Trevor Penny the best game of his career, like, looked like an NFL player. Now you got to go up against DeMarcus Lawrence and Michael Parsons who's lining up in different spots when he's rushing, and they're a little deeper than we expect. Did because this kid de marve On Overshan who linebacker, looked good. Kneeland's out there, he's a rookie setting the edge. Like there's just a lot to deal with. So we'll see if the Saints offensive line can hold up. And it's the scheme with Clint Kubiak, because if they can, they had a good, cohesive looking running game. I just don't know if it was just Week one. I will say that I know last year they didn't look like that against the worst defense in the league ever. The Saints offense so I already feel much better, especially about the running game in Alvin Kamara.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, look, the Cowboys came out looked. They look like a dominant defense. I mean Cleveland they just could not figure it. I think part of that's on Cleveland. So this is why I'm saying this is a test, like this is a big number, because maybe the Saints are a little bit better than what we thought. Are the Cowboys as good? Especially on defense? I think again the Saints calling card though is their defense.
Speaker 3: But is Dak gonna be able to move with the ball? And now we know the Browns had a great defense.
Speaker 4: But the Saints have been like a top eight defense for five or six years in a row. And of course they came on they dominated Carolina Panthers. I think they're gonna have a little something. They tend to play the Cowboys tough. I think they're gonna be able to generate some stuff like Dallas is gonna be able to run the ball on the Saints like they did against Cleveland.
Speaker 3: They were They were really.
Speaker 2: Good offensively until the second half.
Speaker 1: For what it's worth. I know they had a big lead, but they didn't do it. They had like fifty yards in the second.
Speaker 4: It was all CD Lamb and that was the thing. It was a pitching gat. Dak and Ceedee Lamb look great, But otherwise you just were kind of That's what I'm saying. You're kind of wondering with all of the stuff, with that the Saints have in their secondary and tomorrow Davis being one of the best players in the NFL and some of the stuff they do up front, I think this is gonna be a very tough game for Dallas's defense.
Speaker 1: Just one injury note about that secondary, and these were kind of surprises. Tyron Matthew miss practice Wednesday with a hamstring injury, and Marshawn Lattimore also missed practice, So if they were both out that that would hurt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, kol A McKinstry, the rookie came in and replaced Marshawn Latimore and the third orps and the Saints. You know, that's kind of because there was the off season discussion about whether or not Marshan gets traded, right, I think they make the right decision and keep him because there's more value if he stays there and you get a very good football player. But the plans in place for Marshawn if he's if he's not available, my overall question is gonna be the same question with the Dallas Cowboys week in and week out. I understand it was the Browns in week one, but the run game is is an afterthought at this point. It seems like a tacit admission that, hey, like, we're not necessarily prioritizing ball. We'll get Rico a few carries, a z Heke comes in, he gets some give up carries. Maybe Dak will check to it. But it's so much to put on Dak and CD. But if you're gonna put a lot on two players in the NFL at this point in their careers, it's Dak and those two.
Speaker 1: That's why I want That's why I want the same secondary to be healthy for this game, because it that's a tough matchup. I think this could be a bit of a rock fight where yeah, six and a half points feels like a lot, just because the final score could be something like seventeen to thirteen in either direction.
Speaker 3: And if Jake Ferguson which his health status to the tight end.
Speaker 2: They seem hopeful that he'll play. I think he was a big.
Speaker 3: Part of what they do. Yeah, okay, more more more, Luke Schoonmaker, which is you know.
Speaker 2: I'm one.
Speaker 1: I'm at least one week away, probably two before issuing an apology for the incredible amount of Eric Kendricks slander. I put it on this podcast, however, because he had a great week one. Their linebackers look good. Maybe Mike Zimmer knows what he's doing.
Speaker 3: Zim's gotta figure it out.
Speaker 1: And if we'll see, I'm giving in another week before I'm gonna issue an apologies.
Speaker 3: And if Eric Kendricks has lost steps to marve On Overshawan makes up for that, Okay, and his ability because covering that space to get Deshaun Watson last week was one of the scariest, insane examples of speed from a linebacker.
Speaker 4: The rosie just wants to take a backhanded slab of Brandon Staley.
Speaker 1: What uh yeah, that's a fair point. He's making me look bad. Not the only one, Oh yeah taking shots at Brandon Staley. Right, I'm saying I'm not the only one Brandon Staley made look bad because it's him that made Eric Kendricks takes It's it's a tangled web. We should we take one more break. Let's do it on the podcast. We will be back and wrap up our week to preview right after this back on NFL Daily. Wanted to hear some words from Tyreek Hill on Wednesday. Of course, they're playing on Thursday Night Football, so they're not part of this preview show. But this story of Tyreek Hill when he was detained from police officers and pulled out of his car has just been one of the most upsetting and unique stories I can remember covering the league in Tyreek Hill was on the podium talking about it on Wednesday.
Speaker 6: Yes, I will say I could have been better. You know, I could have let on my window, you know, in that instant. It's shell shocking, man. Is really it's really crazy to know that, you know, you have officers in this world that would literally do that with body cams on.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: It's sad.
Speaker 6: It's really sad, which brings up another conversation and leads into what would they do if they didn't have body cams, which is even crazier.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, he said he didn't want attention, he didn't want to be cameras out. He saw the phones tape in them and and uh, that's what he was when he was talking about the windows, and then he did add and I wanted to put this in Now, does that give them the right to literally beat the dog out of me?
Speaker 3: Absolutely not, No, it doesn't if anybody's seen any of the multiple angles. There was one angle included, which was frustrating me once I saw it on Sunday, because you know, the verbiage that we use, the official verbage right, and the police or the arbiter effect, and their statements get to be presented as fact, and so it's it's detained. But there's a clear video of Tyrek Hill being struck while he's being held by two officers and in handcuffed, and so the language that we would use in another circumstance, if that happened to one of the ten to fifteen police officers, there would be the Tyreek Hill assaulted besaults. Yes. But because the position right of the positionality and the power structures only allow things to be said where people take what they say as a statement of fact as the universe's depiction of events, that we have to wait for evidence to the contrary, and time after time after time we find out that the initial reports from the police don't actually represent the sequence of events. And my overall question is if public safety is the priority, and we have ten to fifteen officers devoted to this going sixty in a forty outside the stadium, then is the priority of public safety what's happening everywhere else? Or maybe the priority is just for this to be what happens. And I understand that Miami's investigating, and and Tyreek Hill is saying that, you know, one officer should be fired. There were a whole lot of officers were completely fine with that sequence of events. And were there no evidence, I think we would just only hear whatever they say happened. Well, let's bring it to something that was current in the sports world. When Scotty Scheffler got pulled over. Was he getting roughed up? Okay, you see the dynamic I'm drawing here.
Speaker 4: If that were Scotti Scheffler who was speeding in his Lamborghini down there in Miami Gardens, would those four police officers have rouffed him up the same way?
Speaker 3: Had he if he handled things the same way?
Speaker 4: And yes, I've gone there because Patrick and I have experiences, We've seen this. Right, If it were a white dude built like Tyreek does en roll down his window.
Speaker 3: Are they yanking him out of the cart? Maybe okay?
Speaker 4: But after that, are they putting hands on him like the way they did?
Speaker 3: And the other part Patrick, because he showed me that.
Speaker 4: Patrick showed me the tape when an officer kicked Tyreek Hill. That I had not seen before was the aggressiveness at which they went after Kalay's Campbell, right, Like, what are we doing here? When Patrick talks about is the issue is public safety, He's sitting here saying like, hey, this is my guy. I'm just making sure everything's okay here. I've seen that I'm making sure everything's okay here. This is one of the most decent human beings you'll ever meet. In clay Is Campbell, shit out up, I'm cuffing you up? Like, what are we doing here? These are four hyper adrenalized at least four hyper generalized police officers in the moment.
Speaker 3: And we know that police officers have a tough job to do, right that they save lives.
Speaker 4: There are the first people I'm calling when I'm in trouble, when I'm worried, Right, But this was a situation where it seemed like okay, once Tyreek did not drop his or lower his window upon the request of the police officer, which Tyreek said, I should have handled that better.
Speaker 3: It was hyper adrenaline mode. Let's go.
Speaker 4: And it is as Tyreek said, what if I wasn't a famous football player, what if these guys didn't have body cams on?
Speaker 3: You know, it's and.
Speaker 2: What would happen is what's been happening.
Speaker 3: For yam of time. We've seen.
Speaker 4: We saw the young man in Memphis where those police officers would have probably gotten a way fort one for surveillance camera because they turned their cameras off.
Speaker 3: Any number of incidents happened every single day that we're not going to hear about, correct, and we won't hear about. And I just I keep coming back because because I understand Tyreek has a particular beef right with the officer who struck him right and the officer who took exception to the speed at which he rolled down his window. But again, every officer that was there, whose job right allegedly is to protect public safety and de escalate situations, was completely fine with the things that happened, completely fine because they allowed it to happen. That's their choice, that's the job they chose, and so if they're going to do that right and occupy thirty three percent of the City of Miami's budget, maybe they should do it and real quick.
Speaker 4: I will say this, and it goes back to the late Jason Jenkins, who used to be the Dolphins media relations director, a friend of mine and one of the most astute people. The Dolphins have an incredible partnership with police forces in Miami, Miami Gardens this and so it is gonna be interesting to see how this goes. I mean, it is a very very strong tie. I think I've even interviewed the police chief of Miami Gardens as part of a program that the Dolphins had.
Speaker 3: How does this work.
Speaker 4: Are the police all of a sudden be like, we're not gonna help you guys out because we're getting bad mouthed by you because you're talking tough with us. We've seen these threats before. We saw it in Cleveland a couple of years ago. So it's gonna be interesting to see. But hopefully the bigger conversation comes down to please do your job. You don't always have to be as physical and aggressive in doing so.
Speaker 3: Hopefully right and the outcome here is people who would have been less safe and less safe in these circumstances. Hopefully people in Miami, in the entire county area will be safer throughout all of this. Maybe maybe, But guys, we have a bird fight on Monday Night football. Kirk Cousins and the Atlanta Falcons get a chance to get back out and get a win. They are six and a half point dogs against Jalen Hurts and the Philadelphia Eagles, who got the win last week on Friday Night. Tro Joe Buck, Troy Aikman, and Lisa Salters on the call. Steve, you've you've watched the Kirk o Chains version of Kirk Cousins from from the exception to this point? Or are we going to get better from Kirk Cousins against the Eagles than we did in the loss against the Pittsburgh steel Yeah, they should. He should be better.
Speaker 4: I mean he's facing a good defense, but not a Steelers defense, right. The Eagles, Yes, they went out and they tried to address their secondary, but it was still vulnerable. I mean, you saw Jordan Love make plays against this Eagle secondary. So offensively. What drove me crazy watching the game with the Falcons and the Steelers was they were like singing that we're gonna one on one block.
Speaker 3: TJ.
Speaker 4: Watt, Well, you better not do that against the Eagles because they're gonna become what we spoke for you. I mean, this is this is a lou Anaumo defense. They're gonna be blitzing, probably a lot more than the Eagles. They've got to do some stuff in the quick passing game, but it's just got to be a smarter passing attack.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 4: It was all over the place. I think what they try to do offensively was all over the place. Maybe condense the playbook. Protect better. I mean, look at that. These are all guys one on one beaters right here upfront. Protect better and you have an opportunity and run the ball better. Okay, we saw the Eagles g get gashed, you know in the run game a little bit sometimes with Josh Jacobs, run the ball a little bit. Better, go go with Bishon and go with Alagi year stay out of some of these situations. But I think I do think Kirk kirk Cousins will look better playing place. He did not look great in that game for a lot of different reasons. But again, the Steelers will do that to a lot of other quarterbacks, right.
Speaker 1: So I think the Falcons were too confident that their offensive line is just going to win matchups, like they think of themselves as having one of the best offensive lines in the league for good reasons.
Speaker 2: But this is the new coaching staff. It's a different system. You just never know.
Speaker 1: And they were going up against maybe the best defensive front in the league, and so they lost those matches. The thing that would concern me more is how they approached the game offensively and what that says about Kirk Cousins. There was not a single play action pass from Kirk Cousins in that game. Thanks so he had been averaging more than thirty percent of his play He is a guy that gets helped by defining what you can define by doing the play action pass, and that was extraordinarily successful for him when he was with the Vikings, and his numbers when he wasn't doing the play action pass even with the Vikings last year, weren't that great. So how many times did he do it last week?
Speaker 2: Zero?
Speaker 1: And you wonder if that's just because he's a mid thirties guy coming off an achilles tear, because the next gen stats number in terms of how much they moved.
Speaker 2: I didn't know this was even a.
Speaker 1: Stat some of this stuff they have that they're digging up, that he moved an average of three point one yards per dropback. It is the least move ment he's ever had in a single game of his whole.
Speaker 2: Career by more than a yard. And when you watched the couple of times, insane.
Speaker 1: When you watched a couple of times like he he he just didn't look like a guy who was confident in moving And it's real hard to play quarterback that way.
Speaker 3: And I guess now that my mind's a little blown by that stat how much of that was the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Speaker 2: Right, That's the thing.
Speaker 1: It's like one week you never know, but the whole not no play action and playing out a pistol does not make sense.
Speaker 3: That's bad. It was bad the time. There was not a lot of out like the you're so used to saying Kirk hit those inbreaking routes. He's hitting the defenders in the face with those again week one caveat but who was not bad in their debut and saving things on the other side. As we look in the video show of just the passes that he did hit a couple to Drake London and and swinging back across, and there's a pick to Drake London. But the Kellen Moore Philip Delphia Eagles are such a departure where it's like you we talked about Todd Bowles and the Blitz with Hyden Daniels. The Blitz had the Eagles looking morose last year and then in the opener against Green Bay, aside from you know, Jayleen will say that was a bad decision on the interception, right, but they had answers for the Blitz in answers that I don't know if Atlanta right has the past rush capacity to bother the Eagles enough to keep them in.
Speaker 1: There, though they might want to get a little more aggressive. His numbers were great against the Blitz, and there were a couple of really nice plays, one to god Or I think kal Katara was another one where just quick answers. It was awesome, But they didn't do any of those big blitz. Is that the things that really got that I would still try it. Try to throw to six, try to throw seven, let's see what, let's see what happened. They were just seven five, and I just would be curious to see that, But I don't know if Atlanta has necessarily the horses. Ad Terrell is a great cornerback. He had a tough yeah, tough Week one. Yeah, but gonna have a tough Week one. But that's that's the thing that Egles do against you. They have matchup advantages because their players are awesome.
Speaker 4: They but the ultimatum advantage of Saquon Barkley. I mean, you talk about a blitzpeeder when you've got to also keep eyes on Saquon and you have to stop him in the run game, that's an issue, right, And we saw Pittsburgh het some runs against the Falcons and this was a close game, So you know, the six and a half number, yeah, I think that's a pretty big number. I think Atlanta's offense is going to be better. I don't know Philly's gonna be as crisp as they were coming out of the gate. But man, when I watched Philly, I kept saying that if they're gonna keep getting better and better, and this offense is frighteningly scary, especially because the slim reaper Vonte Smithley really really good.
Speaker 1: On top of it, defense did some good things. Yeah, they do creative stuff their pass rush. I think they want to get more consistent. But Quinjon mitchell I did want to make sure I just mentioned him.
Speaker 2: He just early, just real, just real positive vibe.
Speaker 1: I don't want to get over my skis here of like no potential defensive player of the year type of stuff. But it was some real like okay, yeah and that and that backs up some stuff I some buzz i heard from there that they believe they got a real good one.
Speaker 3: How he does it again, they let him get away with it. So that's a big number. Six and a half. Let's add a half a point there. The Detroit Lions at home favored over a Tampa Bay Buccaneers team who scored a billion points. It was the Washington Commanders a billion points against the Washington Commanders and opener Baker Mayfield throws four touchdowns. The game is on Fox over under fifty one. Greg. The Detroit Lions at the end of the game against the Rams were like, hey, we're the Lions, We're gonna run you over. It worked out, but seven seven points.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's wild.
Speaker 1: I'm big on this Bucks team, and I thought the Lions had a pretty uneven performance they did what good teams do, which is maybe win a game where you're not at your best. But I wasn't overly impressed. And the Bucks were at their best last week. And they've got guys who I think can really test this Lion's secondary where Terry an Ardnold, I think he's going to be good. He is aggressive, but had some penalties. They could have issues in the back end because I think the Buccaneers present matchup problems for you. Chris Godwin looks like the old Chris Godwin if the other if that guy ever went away, but after all the injuries he's had, he's back. McMillan, AD's a nice three, and Mike Evans is still Mike Evans. I don't know if Baker is going to be that good week after week, but I think it'll be a competitive game.
Speaker 2: Like the playoff game.
Speaker 4: It was a playoff it was it was a one possession game. Again, this number is crazy to me. A seven point game. But yes, Detroit's at home and they had to grind it out against the Rams, a tough opponent who they knew they were going to have to grind it out against. But I think Tampa Bay as we're seeing some of their offensive players. I don't know if Tampa's gonna function this well offensively because they might be playing from behind. You know, they might have to do some things that allow, you know, Detroit a certain way, but Tampa might be playing from ahead and they can they can, you can play a physical style of football. I mean, this is gonna be a really, really tough game, and Todd Bowles is gonna be giving Ben Johnson looks that are gonna really this is gonna be a great chess match. I think some of the personnel groupings that Detroit's gonna use will probably end up winning some series for them. But I think the same thing could be said about some of the personnel groupings that the Buccaneers will be used defensively and slowing down this offense.
Speaker 1: I think the concern is that Antone Winfield is out of this game. You You've had a couple injuries in the back end, you have a couple injuries in the front. So they are missing somewhere between three to five starters total, and with a at least two to three in the secondary.
Speaker 2: That's worrisome against the wab Oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and just losing arguably one of your best players. I mean, mirk Evans. I agree with Kyle Brantz take the He's probably one of the best bucks to ever wear a buccaneer, you know. But Antoine Winfield Junior at this point is one of the better defenders in the entire NFL. That makes sense. But again, like we all agree, seven points, it feels feels like a lot. I do like the emergence where Jamis and Williams has felt like, yeah, window dressing, like decoration in this offense, and now he's like a part of the foundation of the house where he gets all these targets. He had the stopping go on tre Davius White for the for the touchdown, he gets hurt, comes back in the game, kind of guts it out and gets a game ball. I like what I see there, But I'm gonna need Jared to be a little more comfortable in the pocket. He seemed like the Rams pass rush was bothering him through stretches of that game and had some inaccuracies that I wasn't used to seeing from Jared Goff in the opener. But maybe week one we wiped that away and maybe they surpassed the seven points. Who knows.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: Now I'm suddenly thinking this matchup just he'll be protected better. I'm always worried about a team that, like they played poor one week, but they won Anyways, usually they play better than next week. Like maybe you get the A minus A version of the Lions this week, and you're gonna have to deal.
Speaker 4: With it and you're gonna see as fantastic as Dave Montgomery was in that open.
Speaker 3: I think Jimmy or Gibbs played bigger role in a game like this. Spectacular play. Love it. I'm looking forward to that matchup. Bringing us to our final game. The biggest number of the week nine points Steve Grief nine points the Las Vegas Raiders going into M and T Bank Stadium against Lamar Jackson, who was back at practice on Wednesday's. He sat out earlier in the week due to some soreness because he went super hard. We talked about four hundred combined yard against the Kansas City Chiefs. Lamar's back and the Raiders again after getting gashed by former Raven JK. Dobbins, have to take on the King.
Speaker 4: Steve, Yeah, I'll be at this game on Sunday, but I'm I'm saying I'll be at the game.
Speaker 3: Well, let anybody know he's a million miler, multiple airlines.
Speaker 4: But this number actually doesn't look contained to me, just because the Ravens have so many things they can clean up on defense. Again, they really got out schemed and not coach, and they're gonna tighten it up. You know, with some of the matchups that did Andy Reeves scheming up against their linebackers, and Las Vegas just doesn't have the guys right. They've got Davonte, but other than that, offensively, there's no one you have. The two tight end stuff to the Ravens aren't familiar with two tight end stuff.
Speaker 3: I would work with that. I mean, that's all they.
Speaker 2: Rock powers look good.
Speaker 4: Look but I'm just saying that's all. They run, two tight end stuff. They know they're going to practice the hell out of this. They're gonna have some answers for the two tight end stuff that the Ravens that the Raiders are going to do. So, you know, IA think Baltimore's defense is going to look so much better than this game. Lamar is not gonna have to do as much. They're gonna be able to run the ball a little bit better. With Dereck Henry. That's one thing that was driving me crazy in the game. I mean, it was a tight game and they just got they just got away from Derrick Henry. They start playing horizontal football.
Speaker 1: Well, I just think they're gonna figure out over the course of the season how to construct the running game out of Lamar Jackson and Derrick Henry, and they haven't yet because that's you know, Derrick Henry just makes more sense of it as an under center runner, but Lamar Jackson in shotgun and you can certainly they're smart, they're great players, they're good coaches. They can figure out how to marry it up up. But it felt like almost like two different types of offenses. And when Justice Hill was out there, that almost looked to me more like the Ravens offense.
Speaker 2: And I was surprised.
Speaker 1: And I know they were trailing in that game, but Justice Hill played a little more than Derrick Henry.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because they were throwing the ball around a little bit more. You know, two things. That's first off, that's a great point because I was talking to people before that game with the Chiefs and they said that shotgun style is different for Derrick Henry. We saw it when Deshaun Watson first went to Cleveland, they wanted to go under center. He's like, I want to go to Shotgun. It really was an odd marriage of what they wanted to do with the run game and also, and it got talked about a lot, maybe not enough, those illegal formation penalties that kept getting called on Ronnie Stanley. It really bothered Stanley in the offensive play, so maybe that it hampered their effectiveness.
Speaker 3: They're going to make up.
Speaker 4: I'm sure it's a point of emphasis for the Ravens this week to get it right, and I think that offensive line is gonna play better as a result.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think considering Max Crosby and the problems that he can create, we're gonna see more pistol this week from from Monkin, and it kind of gets halfway between those issues because we saw that in Tennessee sometimes where Tannehills and Shotgun and Derek Henry's getting these slow handoffs and at that point in his career he's making it work. He does need to be a little more uh linear up and down the field in order to get things going now, but it's I'm I'm not taking the Ravens to to cover this nine points.
Speaker 2: Wow, I just there's some things that you're mister raven I am.
Speaker 3: I've seen this team come in and have some some weird circumstances take place, and Gardner Minshew going into imman Ted Bank Stadium and having like a weird career game.
Speaker 2: This is some fans stuff.
Speaker 1: Usually Patrick's not giving the fans, but he's talking like almost like a Ravens fan.
Speaker 2: That's too skeptical. I saw.
Speaker 1: I'm not skeptical at all. I'm picking them as my Survivor pick. By the way, I don't know if we even are continuing this. Put play the music. Patrick took this Inincinnati Bengals last week. We only had the two of us in the studio at the time. I took the Bills, who made me sweat it out a little bit. They could have called that penalty on Deamar Hamlin at the end that I might have been out too. But the Bills survived and I'm taking the Ravens. I'm not overthinking it. When you play Survivor, don't overthink it. Because I was thinking Texans this week and I'm looking at future schedules. No, just take the game that would shock you the most. Take the real favorite, and I don't agree with you at all.
Speaker 2: I think it's twenty six to nine.
Speaker 1: It's kind of a boring game actually, where they just put him to sleep.
Speaker 2: And Steve, since you weren't here last week.
Speaker 3: I can't believe it, let him do a week two?
Speaker 2: Should we should we let let's ask the back? Should yeah?
Speaker 3: Eric?
Speaker 2: Should we let Steven and take a survivor pack?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Because I mean, this is a week season long bit that died in week one night happy? Would it be a funny bit if I'm just spiking the football for sixteen straight week? Because if you just ride with my picks, if you're listening out there, I'm gonna take you, uh to a whole lot of victory, a lot of us. We're gonna survive on the island. But I'll let you play too, Steve, you can jump in.
Speaker 3: He at the home. Okay, so we're going with Houston.
Speaker 2: Okay, play the music. We're letting Steve go in week dude? Why not? Sorry? Sorry Patrick to me about bending the rules.
Speaker 3: I deserve it. I'm out. Jeff Probes has extinguished Mark Flint.
Speaker 1: It was a blast going over all these games with you both.
Speaker 2: In Week two?
Speaker 1: Why don't we do it each and every week this season, except for when Steve goes and covers overseas.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying I will be.
Speaker 1: You are a big time I'll join you for one of those. I really enjoyed doing it today. Yes, we're doing the Ravens for the Survivor, and then we're gonna be doing Thursday Night recap and my picks with Cynthia coming up later this week.
Speaker 2: We'll see then football's back.